Speaker 1: Hi, this is call Hamil's Welcome to the Philly Show.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Philly Show. Ruben Tomorrow, Junior, Jim Salisbury. I'm todd so lucky, Ruben.
Speaker 3: We are. We're in a duet situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're missing. We're missing a big link.
Speaker 3: Jimmy is on assignment, so he's unable to join us today.
Speaker 1: We're missing our big toe.
Speaker 3: We are missing our big te Jim. We miss you. Come back, not seriously, Jim. We'll be back later this week.
Speaker 2: He could not make it before the Phillies opened the series Monday night in Detroit.
Speaker 3: But we got a lot to talk about, Ruber.
Speaker 2: I mean kind of a kind of a really big news weekend for the Phillies starts with the Christopher Sanchez twenty two and a half million dollars four year extension.
Speaker 3: This extension, to me, Rubin explains just how impossibly difficult it is, I think to build a.
Speaker 2: Franchise and an organization. Because you think about December of twenty nineteen, the Tampa Bay Rays had to place him on the forty men roster, and they're like, we have some guys that are are better than him, so they trade him to the Phillies for Curtis Mead. He's a hard throwing lefty, and then he kind of like hit some bumps in the road, the velocity drops, He's not thrown strikes. Curtis Mead then becomes this top one hundred prospect. This trade looks like a total bust. And then last spring the Phillies are looking for a number five starter and I'm sorry, spring of twenty twenty three and it's like Bailey Folter versus Andrew Painter Sanchez. Nah, you know, we know he's not going to make the team, and now he's got a twenty two and a half million dollar contract.
Speaker 3: I mean, is that.
Speaker 2: It's just just shows you how like unpredictable and everything is in player development, is right, I mean, what do you think about just how that whole storyline, It.
Speaker 1: Really is one of the things we talk about the beauty of baseball time, right, and and you know everybody wants to assess trades and decisions, uh, and then you want to look at things like in a vacuum. Guess what, you have to kind of wait things out and see how things play out. Because baseball is like no other sport. You just don't know whether I mean, even the greatest prospects in the world can fizzle out when they get to the major leagues, or they can have one or two great, great years and then become that they can be the rookie of the year and then become nothing. And and it's it's really is an amazing sport in that regard. And this is one of those situations where, hey, we're taking a chance in the Matt clintac and the people take a chance on a big arm left hander right And you know, I I just just in general, when you start thinking about left handed pitchers, especially really tall and lanky and leverage guys with a lot of levers and leverage. I always I've talked to scouts over the years, you just don't know when those guys are going to be able to put their bodies in a position to have success. In other words, can they ever get consistent enough with their deliveries? Can they ever put all the pieces in the parts together on a frame like that to get to the point where they can be effective major league players or consistent major league players. And this is guy, this is a guy that, to his credit, got to that space. It took him a little bit of time to get there, because I will tell you I've seen a lot of baseball on my day, and this is one of the most amazing transformations of a pitcher I've ever seen. And I'm not trying to I'm not overstating this. By the time you're twenty five or twenty six years old, you probably have a pretty good idea what this guy is going to be, what a player is going to be, whether he's gotten to the big leagues or you know it's fairly close, or he's had a little taste or what have you. And when he first got to the big leagues, I look to this guy and go, Wow, he's just he's just a thrower. He has no idea where his fastball's going. He's throwing ninety five or ninety six miles an hour. At times he'll at ninety seven, and you're going, this guy just doesn't For number one, he doesn't know where his fastball's going. And number two, he doesn't have a breaking pitch. He doesn't have a nice pitch. So you're thinking yourself, Okay, this this was just sort of a throwaway deal because he just doesn't He's not going to be able to make the adjustments to be mechanically sad enough to be able to pitch well. I mean, it was obvious, and Matt gil had a great story about it and talked a little bit about you know, his over his development. But you know, it sort of takes a village, you know. I think Cessar almost had a little bit to do it him. He was a coach in Triple A. I think, you know, Kevin Coffam obviously has to get some love for it. But but really, if the onus is on the pitcher, the picture himself, Chris, you know, Christopher, he just decided, you know what, I'm not going back down again. I'm gonna do what I need to do and make the adjustments me personally to be viable major league pitcher. And boy did he pitch well at the end of the year last year and put you basically, he changed his whole program. He became a pitcher, he started throwing strikes more consistently, and actually, you know, beat out Bailly Falter and knocked him off the you know, off off the grid, and uh, he ended up being a pretty viable, you know, starter for them. Still didn't know what what he was going to be when you know, he rolled into spring training. But what that that that transformation of one having one of the best pitches in baseball now the change up with the great arm action, great action, and great success with it. And then not only that, but he also started developing like a slider. All of a sudden, he had like a breaking pitch.
Speaker 3: Oh my good, right, you know, to me, it was you know, it was funny.
Speaker 2: I was. I went back the past couple of days and I read a lot of the stories that were written when the Phillies got him in that trade, and even the Phillies were saying, like, he's a hard throwing lefty.
Speaker 3: We like that, he's tall, we like that. It's kind a decent slider and a decent change up.
Speaker 2: And it's just funny to think about now because that change up has become, like you said, one of the best pitches in baseball. I mean that game late late last season against the Braves where he had, you know, got like a ton of swings and misses and through just a ton of change ups. But back when they got him in December twenty nineteen, they're like, yeah, he's he throws hard. Maybe he'll get something else going on, and now he finally got it.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. So over the weekend, you know, Cole Hamilton gets retired, I think it retires as affilly, and you start thinking about left handers, and you start thinking about tall left handers, okay, and why they become like so important if they really get it, you know, if they actually get it, because they can create. And I was watching some of the film and I had forgotten, like, you know, Cole Hamil's with his delivery. He had so much unbelievable leverage. He worked down down the slope, as we talked about and as scouts talk about, and and for a hitter, when you're looking at a pitch it's down angle like that, I mean, it's it's difficult, sorry, difficult to hit. But when you have that kind of down angle and you can and you can master your ability to throw a couple of different pitches with that angle and throw strikes with it, you can have a lot of success. And that's kind of what's having on. Christopher Sanchez is a tall dude. He's got some serious leverage, and so now he's gotten to the point where, Okay, now I'm throwing ninety four, ninety five, ninety six, because now I'm confident with my stuff and my ability to repeat my fastball and to throw it where I want to, and I know that these guys are not going to be able to handle my change up, and so it's just it's it's a great story. It's a great signing. He doesn't even I mean, I overstate this. He doesn't have to even have a great career. But the importance of sparring pitching is so high right now that hey, man, why not lock up a guy and let him feel confident about himself. Typically, you don't want to sign a guy when he's pitching at the top of his game, but because you want to kind of wait for the guy that you know, maybe you get a little discount because the guy's not throwing all that well. But in this case, I think they got a very reasonable contract for a guy who I believe that will continue to get better and better and better. And he's one of the better pitchers in all of baseball right now.
Speaker 3: It's incredible, that's the thing, dah.
Speaker 2: He's kind of flying under the radar when you talk to it about Wheeler and Nola and Suarez certainly, and he's right up there when you look at some of those numbers, you know, eer and just you know, overall production, he's been fantastic. Yes, twenty two and a half million dollar, four year deal, a couple bonut.
Speaker 3: A couple of options down the road.
Speaker 2: But yeah, sixteen million and twenty twenty nine can escalate if he you know, up to twenty nine or nineteen million and twenty thirty based on some.
Speaker 3: Incentives and things like that. But seems like you know they're locking up that pitching.
Speaker 2: So my question now, Ruben, is they locked up Christopher Sanchez the other guys out there now?
Speaker 3: Raiders swore as sure, and he.
Speaker 2: Will not be signing an extension for twenty two and a half million dollars if he signs one. Oh no, he's so ranger has He's got this year, he's got next year his last year of arbitration, and then he's a free agent after twenty twenty five. And this might be a dumb question, Rubina is I know you put starting pitch above everything else, but can you lock up too.
Speaker 3: Many starting pitchers? Can you?
Speaker 2: Can you put that much money into your rotation? Again, I said, I say, maybe that's a dumb question, but how do you if.
Speaker 3: You're in Dave Dombrowski's shoes. How do you look at it?
Speaker 2: It's like, no, we just have to do this, and we're just gonna have four guys locked up.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 1: I think you lock them all up? Okay? I mean I I yeah, I mean and for me And again, you know, you're preaching in a little bit of the choir in that I believe in starting pitching. And if you have good quality starting pitching, boy, oh boy, you need to hold on to it. Now. There's no question and not everybody's gonna hit. You're not gonna make the right decision on every single one of these guys. Somebody's going to get hurt. Somebody's going down eight. There's gonna be a ucl taire or an elbow or a brace or whatever the case may be. It's going to happen. But you sort of have to pay to play. Starting pitching is so important. You start thinking about some of the guys that are out there and what they what they can command. As far as starting I think teams are starting to understand that you cannot let your bullpen eat up fifty or sixty percent of the innings that are required to work your way through a major league season. And so I think pitchers who can pitch, who have durability and have some length, which all of these guys do. And when I say all these guys, I'm talking about Wheeler, Nola, Suarez and Sanchez, I mean you gotta kind of lock them up because they're just too important. Because I still believe this in my heart of hearts, and I'll never stop believing it. If I have a solid starting pitcher who can give me six to seven innings every single night, I know that I have a chance to win every single night. And so I I got to live through the Atlanta Braves ninety. I had to play against them in the Atlanta Braves nineties, and yes, it was a magical, amazing thing. You had Hall of famers left and right. But there's a reason why they won the division for fourteen straight years. It's because they had these unbelievable starting pitchers who can give you length, they can give you consistency, and they can keep you ever in every single baseball game.
Speaker 3: That's going to be a big contract if they can get him to an extension.
Speaker 1: Yes, Suz Numbers, I mean you're we're talking about apples and Oranges just because of what you know, won the pedigree to the fact that you know, major league service time wise, it's totally different because he's closer and he's closer to cre agency than than Sanchez is. But he's also done it in the biggest stage in two different ways as a closer and a starter. And he has some of the most amazing numbers in postseason play, which is really where you know, the rubber meets the road. He's done it. He's done it in the most important times of the season. And uh yeah this I mean Ranger Suarez. You know, barring something catastrophic, this young man is going to be paid. And John Middleton and Dave Dombrowski are intelligent men, uh and they are not going to let that guy slip away because they know he's just too important.
Speaker 2: So is there pressure on a GM front office to tackle this this offseason?
Speaker 3: I guess right. I mean, you don't want him to get to free agency, but the Phillies let Nola.
Speaker 2: Get the free agency and they locked him up. I mean, maybe this is a different situation, but is there is there pressure going into the off season, like we got to get Ranger locked up or do you can you not think that way, do you?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's so many there's so many different factors about this. So it's one relationship. I think for me, it's the relationship of the Yeah, it's the relationship of the of the organization with the agent David Rowski and Sam and Sam with the you know, with with the agent. There is the willingness of the player to want to stay at home in Philadelphia, not necessarily giving a hometown discount, but just not wanting to necessarily want to wait to free agency. There is the confidence of the player and him saying, well, I'm going to get better and better and better. So I'm going to wait and I'm going to like you know, I'm going to wait for every you know, the thirty plus teams that are going to be making a run at me. There's a there's a lot of different things that are associated with doing a deal like that, and so I'm I don't know all the inner workings of all those pieces, but they're all factors. There's no question about it. And you know, his overall health as he continues to work through this season, Listen, if the guy ends up being like number one number two or number three in a cy Young voting. Yeah, you're gonna have to pay the map. And I didn't never have any problem paying guys who performed. If he performed and he believe that he's going to continue to do, so the go ahead, you got.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's you think about what he if.
Speaker 2: I mean right now you're thinking top three cy Young Award winner finisher for sure. I mean right now, I guess you could say he's the favorite. So that price definitely goes up. It is just kind of crazy going back though, to think you have Wheeler locked up to this massive extension. You just signed Nola to a massive extension. You got Sanchez locked up, you know, twenty two and a half million with some options down the road, and then if God should be signed swore that's a pretty heck of a good rotation with whoever the number five starter.
Speaker 3: Ends up being.
Speaker 2: Right now, you have Taiwan Walker signed through two more seasons. You have Spencer Turnbull signed through this season. You have Andrew Painter probably coming back next season, and you know, I don't know what his status will be, how it'll be throwing or whatever, but you have those guys, you have somebody like Andrew Painter possibly down the road.
Speaker 3: Number five starter right now.
Speaker 2: Rubin of course, is a hot button topic because Taiwan Walker got hit hard on Friday night. I was at the game, brought my family, and he was getting crushed with Booze, with the with the home runs, he allowed, doesn't throw any splitters. He gets put on the injured list because he's got a finger issue, a blister and something else going on. Now Spencer Turnbull's back in there. It's kind of a weird situation, isn't it with with with Walker because he keeps saying is healthy, He's healthy, He's healthy. I just don't have to feel for my splitter. So I thought it was interesting when Rob Thompson said, you know, he's not coming back until he can throw his splitter.
Speaker 3: So I understand why. I understand why.
Speaker 1: Well, And it sounds like that there's some something mechanically wrong with him, physically wrong with him, and that he is not able to grip his splitter the way he needs to to have it be effective. And whether it's the middle of a finger or whatever the case may be. That's I mean, that's real. I mean, that's something that if I mean, the guy can't grip the baseball properly and he can't throw his best pitch, then he becomes an ineffective pitcher, and which he has been over like the last you know, few outings and the fact that he hasn't even really been able to pitch them to make, you know, to utilize that pitch pretty much all year long, right, I mean, this is the guy who used it, what thirty six thirty seven percent of the time over his last year or two, and now all of a sudden, he can't throw the pitch. He's not swearing the pitch. There's something wrong with that. And so if you're not trusting the pitch and you can't throw it, and you physically can't throw it, then there's a reason why he's put on the il and so will he be able to bounce back from that? Perhaps who knows whether it's a tenant issue or blister issue, whatever the case may be, but they do have a viable, you know option and go with Spencer Turmbull, who pitched extremely well, and uh, you know, if you're not performing and then you're not physically able to perform, then there's every reason why to go ahead and put him on the I L and allow Spence excuse me, Spencer Turnbull to go ahead and take a start.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me put you in this manager's shoes. Spencer Turnbull comes out and for the next two or three starts pitches really well. Maybe not as good as he pitches for a six starts we had like a one six seventy, right, but he pitches pretty well. Now Taiwan Walker says his finger feels better and he's starting to throw a splitter.
Speaker 1: What do you do? It's a beautiful one. It's a really tough one, and it's a tough one for Nebrowski. It's a tough one for John Middleton, it's a tough one for for Sam, for Sam Fuld and for Thompson. But I'd love to have that problem, okay. I mean, as a as a general manager, you're hoping that's the problem because you can still slide Turnbull back if he you know, you let go ahead, Let Taiwan Walker throw a you know, either simulated games or throw as in rehab, and see if he's effective enough and how effective that splitter is. I mean, there's scouts there, there's people there, there's you know, there's all types of ways to measure that pitch and to see if that is working for him and it's effective, and you give him another chance. Now that said, at some point, if he comes back and he's not effective, then I gotta believe it that the Phillies will make a change and they'll let Spencer Turmer, especially if Spencer Turnbull is throwing well in that spot or when he gets those you know, however many chances he gets over the next you know, several weeks, whether it's three starts, whether it's four starts, however many starts it is. If he's pitches effectively, then I think and and then they give Tewan Walker another shot at it. I think the leash becomes shorter and shorter. And we've talked about that leash. I think it becomes short and shorter because they're in it to win it, they're not in it to lose it. The one thing that does become a bit of a factor is you just do not know if Taiwan Walker can pitch out of the pen. You know that Spencer Turnbull has done it, not a lot, but has done it and can do it, and so that is also one of those pieces of the pie that are pieces of the decision that you have to make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be interesting. I guess you're right, Ruben.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: They could based off how he's thrown it that goes in a rehab assignment. The splitter's not there. It's an easier decision, it's easier call to make. Maybe.
Speaker 2: I remember you saying when they first put Walker back in the rotation, you said maybe four or five starts. He's gotten a little bit more than that to prove himself. I feel like it's an easier argument to make if you have to pull him now at the rotation, can say, listen, we gave you opportunities, and like you said, we're trying to win a World Series.
Speaker 3: You know you got two years left in the deal. It doesn't mean you're not going to start again. You can always.
Speaker 2: He might not like that, but that's I think it may be an easier conversation to have if it gets to that point.
Speaker 1: Well, it might be easier because if you listen, if he's not performing, he's not performing right and and listen, this is a performance based life and and and industry, and especially for a team that is has one goal in mind is that to put the best twenty six players out on the field to win a World Series. And so, hey, you got to live with he's still gonna get paid. I don't know what they do with them, but he's going to get paid. And whether he throw him in as a long guy and make him be you know, if somebody breaks down, he's got to come in and eat up, you know, eat up some innings for you know, a throwaway game. Then hey, my advice to that to that young man is, hey, pitch better, pitch better, and get yourself and get your job back. And so but that's the difficulty in the beauty of baseball at major sports, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: So I want to go back up and I have to make a correction on myself. Sanchez's option for twenty twenty nine is fourteen million fifteen million dollar option for twenty twenty three. It escalates, you know, million or two if he ends up, you know, being a top finisher for the cy young words.
Speaker 3: So I just wanted to.
Speaker 1: I mean, those are those are phenomenal. I mean, and I think there are club options. If I'm not mistaken, they are club options. That's pretty amazing because they basically have They've guaranteed them some money, there's no question about it, but they also give themselves some protection. Then if this guy really pitches well or even as a number three or four, fourteen million dollars, oh my goodness, they'll be like a steal.
Speaker 3: That'll be a steal in twenty twenty nine. For if he's pitching like this.
Speaker 2: Fourteen million dollars in twenty twenty nine for a guy that is if again, if he's pitching like this, and the buyout too is it's only a one million dollar buyout too, so it's really very very club friendly. But for him, he's got a lot of security. He's got financial securities, so.
Speaker 1: No question about it.
Speaker 3: Is set, it's feeling good about.
Speaker 1: It'll be just fine.
Speaker 3: He'll be just fine, exactly. Did you watch the cool Hammill's retirement smer?
Speaker 2: I thought they did a great job with it on Friday, and it was really cool. You know, get a great speech, Chuch got a great ovation, Charlie got a great ovation. It was, it was, it was. They did a really nice job. But the Phillies do usually do nice, nice jobs with those things.
Speaker 1: I've seen a lot of ceremonies like that over the years from different organizations, and I can't imagine that there's any organization that does it as well or better than how the Phillies do it. I mean, it's really spectacular. The fact that they brought back so many people, they spared no expense. I think that John Middleton and many many others in the front office are trying to make sure or that the people that the history of this franchise, especially the people who have had great success here, that they are honored and revered and remembered well. And it was great to see this happen. Unfortunately, I wasn't not their lie, but I watched a lot of the ceremony and seen a lot of the stuff on it, and listen, they all those guys they deserve the love. They deserve it because he did something that was so extraordinary in those two playoff series that has never been matched by a Philly player. I mean, I'm sorry, it just hasn't ever happened. And for him to almost not single handedly, but for him to do what he did to bring a World Series championship to Philadelphia, I mean, you got to spread the love to him. Man, There's no question about it, and he deserved a great speech too, And I think it was cool that he honored and talked about a lot of the people that affected him along the way totally.
Speaker 2: And I thought just the fact that he said, now it's there turn pointing into the Phillies, Doug guy, it was a really cool moment. You know, fans got fired up, and uh, Matt Gelby talked about a story he wrote earlier. He wrote something in The Athletic talking about maybe Cole getting involved with the Phillies organization. And you know, I talked with Chuch in London. He was supposed to be in spring training this year. It didn't It kind of had to pull out out the last minute. It would be nice to see more of those eight guys get more involved and see them around a little bit more because they can provide real value, you know, telling me Chuch can't help a young catcher in the in the minor league side during spring training, or you know, even just work with the major league guys and Cole Hamill's working on the pitches on you know, the mental side of the game and just you know whatever, I mean, just talking talking to guys. It would be really cool to see more of those guys at the ballpark in spring training, special instructors and maybe just throughout the year in some you know, whatever capacity they could possibly help out in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, it's it's a no brainer. And I do know that John Middleton really believes in that and how how important that is. There are there are a lot of people in baseball in this day and age who don't they want to like separate themselves. Oh, we're our own organization. Now, we're a totally different organization. Now, Well, guess what, there's some history and there's a reason why these guys have success, and they can provide a little bit of a knowledge and and advice and just being around, you know, just being around those other players, they can learn a lot of things. I think the special instructors in spring training is a phenomenal way to get these guys more and more involved. It's just I had the feeling when we even when we did the podcast with with Cole and having talked with him a little bit off camera that that I think he really feels like he wants to get back in a little bit more involved. Now. All these guys have young kids, children, they got stuff to do. But I do think that it seems like the Victorino's and hopefully the Utley's at one point, and the hammels Is of the world, and even Jimmy Rollins a little bit and those kind of guys. Just to have them around and to be a part of it, I think that, uh, there's nothing but positivity that can happen with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt would be cool to see those guys and bring training. Fans would love it as well, seeing those guys. You know, it was cool. It was cool on Friday night. We'll Ruben, we'll be back later this week. I think Jim will be off his assignment. Maybe he'll be back.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see if the thumb comes back. We need that.
Speaker 3: We need that thumb back, all right, talk to your Rubens.
Speaker 2: Hey, I got I guess wait, I guess I have to drop a smellula right.
Speaker 1: Smell you later, Ruben, Smell your Todd.
Speaker 4: This is the Philly Show. If you haven't already, please subscribe to The Philly Show wherever you get your podcasts. You can also watch us on our YouTube channel. If you like what we do, give us a review, tell friend, catch Rubenjim and Me on Phillies Nation TV, presented by Valley Forge Tourism. New episodes air and hour before every Saturday Phillies game on NBC Sports Philadelphia. Replays air throughout the week and on Philliesnation dot com. Get more of Reuben's analysis during before and after Phillies games on NBC Sports Philadelphia, on the Sports Radio ninety four WIP Morning Show, and MLB Network. Read Jim at the Allcity Network at allphl y dot com. Find more of me at MLB dot com, the philliesb Newsletter, and occasionally on MLB Network