Speaker 1: Hey, Melissa, how's it going. How are you good? Good? It was a crazy day. I had court and I had jury duty, so you I was on both sides of justice.
Speaker 2: Let me guess it didn't choose you, did they? And you know what I love to say, I told you so.
Speaker 1: It's just like prom She did tell me, so she always tells me, I told you so. I thought it would be quick to hop good, to hop on zoom really quick just before this episode and do a quick psa quick announcement that the episode that is airing we recorded the day before Alex Pretty was murdered, so you're going to hear this episode. We address ice, we talk about DHS, we talk about what's happening in America. But it was literally the day before he was murdered and shot ten times by federal DHS officers. So I thought it was important that you and I get on a quick call and just sort of make that announcement before people listen to this episode. I want them to just not be listening and like wondering why.
Speaker 2: Wondering why we're not addressing it. It literally happened the day before. We couldn't have but we thought it was important for us to do this tonight so that you guys would understand that it was just information that we didn't have at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happened to day we recorded, the day before the shooting, So yeah, I thought it would be good for you and me to just chat about it really briefly before we jump into the episode. The episode is very relevant, so please stick around. But right before we jump in, I'm happy to I mean, I'm not happy to discuss, but I'm open to discussing what's kind of happening right now and what's changed in the past six days since we were in the studio, which is wild to think about.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like we talk about, you know, it's all changing really quickly and faster than I think we can keep up with it. You know, I know what we had talked about when we had talked about Renee Good. I know I had said to you, I wonder what it's going to take, right Is it going to take a straight, white Christian man? And I don't know whether Alex is straight or Christian or any of those things, but you know, here we are. A white man was murdered on the streets of Minneapolis, and the initial reaction of this administration was to put the blame directly on him, the same way that they did immediately immediately.
Speaker 1: He was an investigation, no view of the footage. It was just immediate response.
Speaker 2: And I mean it's unbelievable. But also, Michael, I think part of the course, right, this is what this administration does. They very rarely take responsibility for anything that they think is negative. The the their gut reaction is to always past the blame. This is like a liberal problem. This is what these people do.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was his fault because he brought a gun to a protest, right, is absolutely what they're always saying. And they jumped right in. And I mean I was looking at my feet just before I got on this call with you, and a judge ordered that that five year old boy is not to be removed, nor should his father. We've got Christine Home being pressed by Congress right now. The calls for her impeachment are growing and growing louder and louder. It's Tuesday night at seven fifteen pm. Just FYI, So I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. And we have Trump saying that he wants finally wants an honest inquiry, whatever that may mean into what's going on in Minnesota. We have the head of DHS is, the Border Patrol commander is being asked to leave Minneapolis is being demoted, and I think.
Speaker 2: I think retiring right tied correct.
Speaker 1: They sort of put him up to pasture. So there is really a growing surge. I have so many celebrities. Finally, celebrities are paying attention to this cause, which it's you know, I always feel a way about celebrities getting involved and maybe they're not experts sort of weighing in or they're influencing elections. But whether or not, like I love it or hate it, celebrities have power, right they.
Speaker 2: Do, and they have the ability to bring attention to an issue. And again, whether or not we think it's their place to do so, I think we can agree. Celebrities are also citizens of the world right and citizens of the United States. And if you are a person, a person of conscience, you're looking at this and this is wrong and I and you know, is it too little, too late? I don't know, but I mean I do appreciate people sort of the more voices we lend to this, the better it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right. I love seeing everyone get involved, to get amplified, whether or not you're celebrity, whether or not you have five followers or five million. Yes, it's just great to see people posting and pushing information out, especially now that we have It really feels like the public perception is what has moved everything forward, right, the fact that we have so many people involved in the conversation that the horrors of the Trump administration. This isn't the first day that we've had awful things, right, However, it does finally feel like there is this growing swall, this surge of people who are paying attention and effect, and the change is starting to come. So we're starting to see resignations, we're starting to see inquiries, and we're also seeing a lot of people talking about how what ICE is doing is a distraction, how their activity is intentionally designed to ensure that no one's focusing on the Epstein files, and that Pam Bondi is thirty one days past the deadline to release more Epstein information from the Epstein piles.
Speaker 2: Right, They're hoping that people will be so distracted by what's going on in Minnesota that they will sort of forget to ask. And I think it's really important that this is the moment to you know, we can be outraged about multiple things at once. You know, we can be outraged about or curious about what's happening what was going on in the Epstein files, while also being outraged and calling attention to what is happening in Minneapolis. So I mean, I think the lesson here is to it's for citizens to sort of turn up the heat right, reach out to your congress person, make those phone calls, go to protests.
Speaker 1: And strike. Everyone's striking on Fridays. So this episode drops on Thursday. The strike will be the next day, so tomorrow if you're listening to this is a general strike across the country. So no shopping, no school, no work, no nothing. And I strikes really do work. It is so important to bring attention to strikes and everyone that reaches out to us or a lot of people who do are looking for non violent ways to stay away from violence but still be a part of the change. So I love to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, and about the strike, So this is a strike from everything, folks. It's you know, we're not going to work, We're not going to school, we're not shopping. We are you know, these are all of.
Speaker 1: The looked right at me when she said she looked at me dead in the eyes and said, no more shop. But you know what I will, I will abstain absolutely so I mean and it's.
Speaker 2: And it's all the things right. So this is an opportunity for the country, this administration to realize that they need us, They need us to participate, and they serve at our pleasure, and this is not what we want as Americans.
Speaker 1: If you're looking to avoid being a part of an adversarial protest situation, you don't. You are afraid or nervous. This is a great way to be a part of a movement that is affecting change. So please join the general strike on Friday. One more thing before we jump into the episode, I wanted to do a quick PSA. In this episode, I talk about bond hearings and eligibility for bond, a recent decision affecting bond eligibility and immigration court and all of the implications. I talk about it in the episode, but I did a little bit more research and I just wanted to give a quick PSA shout out that in the episode, I very much paint with a broom about who is and is not eligible for bond in immigration court. What I say is absolutely true and correct. I double checked my research. However, there is nuance to it, so always consult an immigration attorney. Feel free to reach out to me. I've been black in a way answering DMS all week, but just to know that it is not, you know, an absolute right.
Speaker 2: And remember, friends, what's why I always say, while Michael is a lawyer, he's not your lawyer. So the information that we give out is for sort of general informational purposes and entertainment. For your specific need legal needs, please reach out to your own attorney.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's get into the episode. Set your butt down, and we will see you in the studio. Welcome to Brief Recess.
Speaker 2: I'm Michael Foot, I'm Melissa Malbrant.
Speaker 1: Today we're going to be talking about how whed and crack are not the same.
Speaker 2: They're not matter what your mother says, all.
Speaker 1: The messed up new bond proceedings and Immigration Court, a recently leaked ICE memo thanks to a whistleblower, plastic surgery in our algorithms space A not arrests and all the questions from your DMS were finally getting into the DMS. Stick around. It's just like that.
Speaker 2: In London, Like, that's a job.
Speaker 1: Platform nine and three quarters. In London, there's someone's job is like tossing your scarf to make it look like you're running towards a fucking brick column.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're pushing the thing the trolley.
Speaker 1: Don't say you like, I'm ever gonna do this. Please keep me out of this platform, this Fiery Potter fantasy. Anyway, there's a person charged. There's a person in charge of platform nine and three quarters of tossing people's scarves to make it look.
Speaker 2: Like you're running you yes, yes, yes, Michael.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know I am not coming for this person's job. I'm not making it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I respect, but I just think, like, of all that anything can be a job.
Speaker 1: Sex work is real work. Yeah everything, oh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of sex work is real work. So there's this a sex worker that I follow on TikTok Okay, I'm obsessed with her. She's so funny.
Speaker 1: You okay, Melissa's friends with sex workers like sometimes sometimes.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sex workers find Melissa and befriend her in a way that I've never seen before. I'm actually jealous.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I am. I was on a plane ones.
Speaker 1: And shout out to Jeff Blue. What was the airline? You know, I don't remember we were friends when this happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't remember. It was a while ago, but I remember getting on a plane. I can't remember why. So I saw this woman and she was giving Kardashian do you know what I mean, like that whole thing. Yeah, really pretty.
Speaker 1: Girl but with the like air brushed on makeup and all that stuff, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: And then we were we ended up sitting next to each other and she the plane was late whatever, and she was like kind of like upset about it, and she was like, yeah, I got like all these appointments.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, oh, more right.
Speaker 2: I forget how she told me that she was a sex worker. She didn't say a sex worker. I think she said I'm in porn or something like that.
Speaker 1: And I was like, do you the adult film industry?
Speaker 2: Do you tell?
Speaker 1: Always got great stories. I love talking to a sex worker.
Speaker 2: I will tell you, though, And I don't want to paint people who were in the sex industry with the same brush. But at the end of this flight, where was I.
Speaker 1: I think you were going to Miami. You were going to Florida for some reason.
Speaker 2: I was coming back from Florida. Yes, oh, yes, I was coming back from Florida. So at the end of this flight.
Speaker 1: My take on that is like the sex work belt Way is the New York to Miami flight is the sex worker belt Way.
Speaker 2: So she was coming because she had some dates. Yeah, and she booked and busy this for like a couple of days or whatever it was. But at the end of the flight, I remember feeling like, this is like a damaged person. And I also felt very protective of her because there was a guy who had been listening to us talk oh no, yeah, and and he like, she went her away, I went my way. We exchanged numbers and stuff and and he sort of like made this like, no.
Speaker 1: You're like, I'm going to get you to a caf safely. Let me just know.
Speaker 2: No, No, she did what she was going to do. But he like looked at me. He was just like, that was an interesting conversation that you were having. I'm like, and it was none of your funs.
Speaker 1: And it was I was just gonna say it's none of your business. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just like, it's none of your business. And he was like yeah, but and he was like, well, you know women like that. I'm like, wouldn't touch you with a ten foot poll and what.
Speaker 1: About men like you? He's dropping on people on flight stay keeping.
Speaker 2: But I and I we stayed in touch for a long time.
Speaker 1: I remember you being like, I'm worried about this person. And it had nothing to do with her being a sex worker.
Speaker 2: It was like oh no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: It was we were like, my friend needs help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I definitely feel like she had some such abuse issues and she she had a daughter who she wasn't really seeing anymore. Mom had taken her kid away from her. I just felt bad for her.
Speaker 1: People and people find you, and like also, I was at the club this weekend and I went out all night dancing. It was a great cardio. I was on that dance where I was having like fifty thousand drinks. But this guy found me and we're chatting and then he leans in and he's like, I recognized you from TikTok? Can you help me with my I five eighty nine Asylum applications.
Speaker 2: Are you going to help wait? Asylum from Canada? It was like asylum Frost.
Speaker 1: He gave me the full and I was He was like, can I get your number? And I was like sure, man Like she was like asylum from Maybe maybe Stella didn't get her groove back that night. I can't tell. I'm not going to tell you about his asylum claim from Canada.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, I don't.
Speaker 1: I will say what could have happened? You were doing so much cocaine? That was you at your age. You should not be railing lines like that. That was a cardiac situation.
Speaker 2: When people do things like that in front of me, I immediately railing line, I am like nervous and horrified.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it. I'm like, let's see how much this bitch can do. I'm actually kind of curious. I don't do drugs. I really don't. I know, based off like my face, what that?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Forty miles a rough highway? I thought I might look like someone who's done a lot of drugs.
Speaker 2: It's not that I think I'll tell the story. It's about drugs though. Okay, Okay, my brother's in college. He's getting over. He got a ride from home to college. He went to college in Connecticut, and it took him a longer to get back to school than my parents thought that it should have. Okay, And then so he finally calls and he tells my mother what happened. And then my mother calls me and she was just like, Messa, yo whatter called me and he said that the girl who was giving him the ride, the boyfriend, the boyfriend of the girl pulled over. He's smoking crack.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'm like, on like a Sunday at noon, right.
Speaker 2: And I was like, first of all, my brother, did I not teach you anything? Like I? You told mom and I and so I was just like, that doesn't sound right to me anyway, let me call him back. I called him back, and I was just like, let me ask you something. Did you call mom and tell her that your ride pulled over to smoke crack? And he was like, no, I told mom he pulled over and he was smoking pot. And I was like, okay, So, first of all, Mom just took this to that. Let me see is she charged up?
Speaker 1: Charged?
Speaker 2: That is such a typical Haitian parent thing to do. Wait, I'm gonna tell you the rest of it. So then so I start yelling at him and I'm just like, did I not teach you anything? Why would you tell mom? And he was like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: She's like, so he got out his machine gun. He loaded it up with crystal meth and he shot it into his vein right there on the side of the highway.
Speaker 2: So he was just like, I don't know. And sometimes I will say that. Sometimes I will say something to my mother and then after I've said it, I'm just like, what.
Speaker 1: Did I Why did I tell her that? Because I told her I had to TikTok and she's telling everyone I'm dealing extasy.
Speaker 2: So I called my mom back and I was just like, mom, Joey said that it's not the guy didn't pull over to smoke crack. He was poking marijuana. And my mom was like, Menissa cokain marijuana sim thing. And I was like, I gotta go like this, and I gotta tell.
Speaker 1: You right now, they're not the same thing.
Speaker 2: I was like, they're not the same thing, and she was just like, as far and it's not. It is not just her Haitian people. My zo's slide into my dms. You tell me and actually any member of the diaspora. You tell me what your parents tell you about marijuana and cracking, the same thing, the same thing.
Speaker 1: I've never smoked crack to go to sleep better at night. Let's just say that.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you though, that is no exaggeration. But I gotta tell you the worst part of that story is that I'm still, to this day, this is.
Speaker 1: Years later, You're still trying to convince your mother that it wasn't crack.
Speaker 2: No, I'm so pissed off at my brother for confiding in my mother. What did I not teach you anything? I laid the way for you, and this is how you repay me. Idiot boy, Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: This is sidebar. We're going to just go over some weird things that have happened this week. I had, I had a couple.
Speaker 2: Of so many weird things. Things stay happening.
Speaker 1: Early in the week. I keep thinking about that meme. It's like from Already Rock and Liz Lemon's like, what a week hunt Jack's like Lemon, it's Wednesday.
Speaker 2: It's it was still not even like it's been quite the year.
Speaker 1: It's January. Yeah, I was in court, uh yesterday and this is so stupid. The mics weren't working, so the judge couldn't hear us because it was a virtual hearing. I was like muted, and so the judge can being like counselor can you speak up where I'm really sorry. The microphones in the courtroom aren't working, so I just can't hear anything. And I'm like, good thing that it's not important that you can hear what I'm saying in court.
Speaker 2: So everything is collapsing right like she was start saying a knife and salmon like nothing anymore, nothing.
Speaker 1: Extra syllables, so hard cut to me. I was I had to yell. I had to yell into the mic.
Speaker 2: That's why you went to laws.
Speaker 1: So I'm selling I'm sounding a little horse today, horace horse. I had a bond teering where now because so many people are being detained right now the bond court is they're not even transporting migrants to court anymore. They're just putting a camera in a cell and it's giving full zero dark thirty Guantanamo vibes like this is total vibe shift. I'm sorry everyone, but I don't even know what to ask you.
Speaker 2: Is that legal?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sitting there and I'm like, is this So I get so I log into it's a WebEx hearing because we're doing everything on WebEx now because it's so things are moving so fast. There's so many people, it's the volume. So I log in and I'm like, why are there fifty people in orange jumpsuits on one zoom camera just in a cell? It was like this, I've never seen just a throng a line of people and staring into the zoom camera.
Speaker 2: And the inmates are just waiting for their turn, and.
Speaker 1: They're all like they're all just standing waiting around, and I'm like, this is is someone did someone turn on? Like the security camera is? Something is not right here? Yeah, And you get to bond court early because you're like, I got to get there. I don't know when they're going to call my client. So you're usually waiting around for your client to be called, and then you're litigating for less than sixty seconds, right, It's just like a lot of waiting. I usually bring I'm answering emails and then they call my person's number. But I log into the weipex and it's fifty people in a cell standing. There's nowhere for them.
Speaker 2: To sit because there are so many people, so many people.
Speaker 1: So then they say they call a name out and it's like over the loudspeaker, and the person raises their hand and.
Speaker 2: They sort of shuffle over to the front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mill forward to the front, raise your hand. Melissa's here, she moves forward to the front. Okay, And you stand there in front of the camera in a cell while I argue you should be released.
Speaker 2: On bond with all these other people, all these.
Speaker 1: Other people never committed a crime, like, these aren't criminals, These aren't These are people who are just in some sort of immigration proceeding or undocumented. It was, it was truly.
Speaker 2: I was like, and this is the first time that you've seen this.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I'm someone who is like a loud mouth, crazy bitch and who is prone to filing lawsuits. And I was like, I don't even know where to begin here, Like I don't really even know if I should say something like my job today is to get my client out. Sure, I have a duty to ensure that I get my client bonded out.
Speaker 2: Who do you take that to? Who do you complain?
Speaker 1: And I'm still figuring that out. It happened yesterday, so it's like I still need I need to like put a call in to figure out what to do here, because this is like the ACL you should be aware of this. This is like and then I'm like, what is happening at this detention facility? That this is what they're putting in front of a judge, right, like the judge can see that self and saying anything and not while I was there. I was there for like one short proceeding and then I had that you got to skidatle once your person's bonded, gotcha. But I was like, I don't even know where to begin. So that so that is just like a little window into I guess we talk about this after the ice fan closes what happens on the other side of the van.
Speaker 2: This is what's happened.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm seeing one of the things that's happened looking through the keyhole, what at least I am seeing. And I'm like, if that's what they're showing judges, if that's what they're showing litigans.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like we say this every time we talk about this, like again, nothing mad, nothing seems to matter anymore, Like I think all bets are off they've tossed the rule book aside. They're doing whatever whenever. However, we just whomever.
Speaker 1: We just found out that there was a there a welcome back whistleblowers. Where have you been? We've been waiting for y'all, because we got a whistleblower complaint this week that was released. The DOJ issued a verbal memo. There was like a verbal order given to ICE officers that they should break into people's homes.
Speaker 2: I did hear about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and uh and drag them out if so needed, which is.
Speaker 2: A human warrant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no warrant, no signed judicial warrant. The fore warrant is fine. They're telling people, they're telling their officers. And when everything was happening last week, it feels like a year ago in Minnesota where we were seeing people dragged out of their homes. We're like, no, no, no, no, no, you have to ask judicial warrant.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Ice officers just aren't trained. No, they are trained. They were trained. They were trained to break the Fourth Amendment and do this all without a judicial warrant.
Speaker 2: So I guess it all depends on how this sort of plays out. But I just don't even again, it is the same thing. I don't even know what to ask you, right, So, like what is going to happen. Nothing's going to happen, or.
Speaker 1: This is going to be molney is going to happen. The thing is is that it's going to get work through the court system. Right, So, like these violin but in the meantime, these people are going to get deported. But we're being violated exactly, and it'll get worked through the court system and they'll say no, that was wrong. There'll be a congressional hearing. It'll take years. And in the meantime, we've got your friendly neighborhood gardener getting dragged out of his house. He's got an LPR status, he's got a green car, is being held in detention, not really sedt on bond because we changed the bond rules. And then that person is either being held in detention and needs to hire an expensive lawyer to get them out, or they're going to get deported and then we'll work it out. On the flip side, it is absolutely.
Speaker 2: Wid but it not only could it, but it will take years to travel this righttime, you've completely annihilated someone's life, and not just their lives, but their families. Did you see that they used this little boy's bait to get Yes.
Speaker 1: It's one of these things where it's like, if you aren't horrified by that, like, I don't know what will horrify you, Like, I don't know what it'll take for you to get involved if that doesn't bother you, right, And I feel like every week we come in here and we say, oh, this thing happened. If you're not horrified by this, how could you know it's nothing's going to horrify you. You have no barometer for this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's this idea of the other. Right, if they if they had come here legally, if they had done it right, like my ancestors, did you know what I mean it is? I think that they you know, the people who are looking at this and don't see anything wrong with that, don't think that these people are the same as them, right they are. They're not human beings, right because the President of the United States is talking about them like that, right right.
Speaker 1: I will go on the record and tell you right now, if you're one of these people who say, oh, well, this is happening to them because what they did is illegal, I will tell you right now it is not just happening to the people who did things illegally. There, it is happening to the people who did it the right way, to the people who did illegally. I will dispel that fact. Most of my clients are people who are in detention because and it's usually because they did it legally and they came in contact with dhs ICE and were then detained because they were trying to do it legally. So if you're one of these people who believed in these fallacies that oh, well, this is happening to these people, they deserve it. They did something illegal, they did something wrong. That is not the case for most people I mean.
Speaker 2: And also I mean they are instances of people who are American citizens, who are you know, who are getting rounded up.
Speaker 1: Oh, it just happened to a woman in Minnesota. They beat her American citizen and called her the N word and then detained her for two days, realized she was a citizen and released.
Speaker 2: Her, but released her and then you know, nothing, no apology, No, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, suesed their asses. And I hope that Congressman Robert Garcia is compiling a list of all the things that people are doing wrong and suing.
Speaker 2: I just I am so deeply concerned about what is going to happen to the people that they round up, regardless of immigration and status. I'm worried about what kind of abuses are taking place in these detention centers. I'm worried about kids being left unattended, their parents were being taken away from them. This is and I wonder what is going to happen when all is said and done. Like you know, I think it was last week or I don't remember anymore, but you were talking about this woman that you had heard about on NPR, who was talking about while they were putting Japanese people in interment camps, this family came to her and that she asked for a glass of water, and this woman didn't do it because she was afraid. Right and now here it is seventy years later, and she's still thinking about it.
Speaker 1: What's going to be your glass of water moment? Right? This is your algorithm is showing. We're going to talk a little bit about what's showing up on our feeds. What our feeds are a little bit different right now, a little bit. Yeah, I'm seeing a lot about this ice and also greenland, but I'm hearing a lot of creators, a lot of news sources talk about how a lot of this is a distraction from the Epstein files and what's happening with the Epstein list. Have you been hearing about this at all?
Speaker 2: I have, I think so. My algorithm is always all over the place. So yes, I'm hearing a lot of things about Greenland. I'm hearing a lot of because I'm super interested in this, and there are people who are volunteering to be sort of on the lookout for ICE. I'm very interested in doing that and sort of like walking around trying to follow them to see what they're up to, and letting people in those communities know that they should stay in their homes and let them know that ICE is out there looking for them. I also have been really interested in finding so every now and then ICE will gather up people and then release them. But when they release them, sort of like lead them wherever it is no coat.
Speaker 1: I will say this quick PSA, if you are a migrant or even like a I guess US citizen who might be perceived by a nice office, I guess a non white US citizen, put someone on your pets tag, your dog tag because people are getting picked up and their migrants with their phone number on their dogs tag. ICE usually just leaves the pet where they pick the person up on the street. So then all these dogs are strays. They get picked up by this by like the ASPCA the strays and they go to the pound. And people can't contact a family member because they're trying to call someone who's in a detention center, so they don't have access to their phone. So put like a relative, friend, family member, your immigration lawyer, whoever, on your pets tag, so that if you get picked up by ICE. It sounds crazy, but it is happening. It's happening a lot. And now all these pets are kind of displaced as well because they can't access the owner because they're being held into tention. So but I saw that on my algorithm too. Did you see in Minnesota there there are people with whistles on every single street, corner, every single.
Speaker 2: Block, And I mean, I think that's amazing work. Shout out to those people, you know. So that's what I'm seeing because, like I said, I'm engaging with that stuff because I'm interested in participating. So also, if anybody is aware of an organization doing that stuff reach out to me because I'm totally down, especially down to sort of like pick somebody up and take them back home to wherever it is. Yeah, so I'm seeing that. I'm also seeing some random.
Speaker 1: It's come to a point where surgery, wait, what about it.
Speaker 2: I've been engaging in plastic surgery like before and after, Yeah, before and after. I have a doctor that I'm like obsessed.
Speaker 1: With doctors is more. No, no, wait, I've been seeing like crazy like Korean skincare procedures.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not the procedures.
Speaker 1: But procedures, but also like the like the.
Speaker 2: Skincare Oh yeah, oh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Love it so into it and I follow along on the journey. People are flying to Korean, they get the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're finely to Korea. Definitely the Turkey.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a bald man, I'm not. I'm no stranger to Turkey and the Turkey flights.
Speaker 2: I know, it's really funny to see, like, it's super interesting to see all the men at the airport and Turkey who are on the way home, who all have like bandages. I remember one time. For people who may not know, but like the Dominican Republic is a place where a lot of people go to have plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like bbls and things like that. And I remember I was coming back from Jamaica and the flight from dr was coming in at the same time. We sort of landed together, okay, and there was a line of wheelchairs waiting, waiting or they were like and mostly women waiting, like sort of sitting there. And these women look rough, like they clearing or feeling well, and they had just been you know, you're not supposed to sit on your ass after you haven't been, but they had like those inner tubes to sit on to like propel your butt up so that you're like sitting on it, and they looked like they weren't a lot of pain. How do we get to, oh, my algorithm is showing Oh yeah, so that's your AGOTHHD.
Speaker 1: Definitely that's your algorithm.
Speaker 2: So my algorithm is like this weird combination of plastic surgery and like ice, Greenland political stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine is like a lot of a lot of ice. I'm engaging with it, but I'm also one of the creators who's creating it. So then people are tagging me and stuff. So then I think it kind of shows me that. And then it's a lot of you know, bone broth and a lot of Koream skincare.
Speaker 2: M hm. I was telling you about this girl that I follow, the sex worker that I follow. Oh, yeah, she got her lip filler removed.
Speaker 1: Oh, people get their lip filler dissolved.
Speaker 2: That's dissolved. And it looks like she got beat up.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be weigh really painful to.
Speaker 2: Get it, and she said it hurt a lot to take it out.
Speaker 1: I think they put it like a chemical in there to dissolve it.
Speaker 2: Or I know her mouth is all black and blue.
Speaker 3: That is like it.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: I have been blessed by the lip gods my whole life as the only gay kid at my school with big lips. You can only imagine the things people said to me growing up.
Speaker 2: But what they say to you, Michael, I can't repeat it. Yes, you don't want to, you know. I mean, it's and that's fine if it's personal.
Speaker 1: To you someone with huge lips. You know what people what people said, what people said about my lips, well I really grew into them. What people said about my lips, What people said about my lips is what Lauren Bobert did at Beetlejuice. That is what they said about my life. I'm the pre eminent Lauren Bobert Beetlejuice hand job truther. That's who I am, and that's why I want to be remembered. So throw it on my headstone.
Speaker 2: So in addition to putting you in a dress.
Speaker 1: I'm there's no way she gave a dry hand job. There has to have been mouth stuff. I'm sorry. No one over the age of sixteen got a hand job with you. They were in the.
Speaker 2: Movies and they probably popcorn, maybe the butter.
Speaker 1: I need a full I'm sorry. This is these are the conversations we need to be having America. What lubricated that hand job? I'm sorry, you can't get a handy jay? You are a dry hand job? I need I need answers. I'm sorry this is recording. Where are the journalists, where are the whistleblowers? I haven't heard from the cast. I haven't call in press too in the comments. If you've given a dry hand job, I want to know.
Speaker 2: I no, no, this is not that kind of show. We're not going to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it know it is as someone who's I'm an expert.
Speaker 2: Why break?
Speaker 1: Let I hope not. She doesn't talk to me. Welcome back. This is brief recess. We're going to jump right into under oath. I want to talk about space law.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't realize I.
Speaker 1: Just watched Interstellar again over the holidays. You know I'm obsessed with space. I know, you know that I love a good astronaut story. You know that I love ad Astra, which is about a man going to space to find his dad because he's got daddy issues. You know, I love daddy issues in space starring Brad Pitt. And you know what, sometimes we all work through our daddy issues in our own way. Sure, sometimes you have to go to Jupiter to do it.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: And that's what Brad Pitt did for all of us Jupiter. Yeah, so I want to talk about crime and space because this had there was also a headline recently four astronauts who were safely returned just last week. Yeah, they had an unusual week in space. It what's a usual week in space?
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, I have to tell you I have the sense that sometimes there are some really mundane moments in space where they're doing the same sort of testing over and over again. I don't know what astronauts to do.
Speaker 1: What's a mundane part of your week that might be kind of weird for other people. Mine is like fighting with cops. Mine is like arguing with cops. Why do you arguing with con all the time?
Speaker 2: Are you really? Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a privileged place for you to be, Michael Foot.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, and it is very much a way in which I use my way privilege for good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It's usually they're trying to get one of my clients to say or admit to something, or they're like, oh, hey, just come down to the station answer a few questions, and then I show up and I'm like, what was the question?
Speaker 2: Ask me, ask me, ask me.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, what was the question? Bitch? Anyway, they had an unusual weekend space that required the crew to leave the International Space Station a month earlier because of a medical issue that arose in orbit.
Speaker 2: Right, and they wouldn't say which one of them it was. Right. They're not saying, Peppa.
Speaker 1: Good for them, for them. Keep your secrets. Have you been to the doctor recently? I have?
Speaker 2: Yes? Did I tell you what my doctor said.
Speaker 1: To me with your fat tongue.
Speaker 2: No, doctor did not say I had a fat She said you. She said I had a quite a wide which is different. Not what's going to happen to me now. I have a really small following on social media, but not because you said this. They're gonna be all these weird tongue people coming at me because of you.
Speaker 1: I get foot fetish people because my last name's foot. I've always been a target. No, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: I went on a date once with a guy who had it was weird.
Speaker 1: It wasn't weird. We're not king shaming.
Speaker 2: No, well, it was weird. It would. Let me tell you. I'll tell you how I love it.
Speaker 1: Send me photos of your feet. You'm not worried.
Speaker 2: Boy, you have opened it now.
Speaker 1: I have nothing I haven't seen before. I actually I kind of want to send them in and I'll throw a photo of your foot up on the show next week. Most foot, not my foot. Oh that's oh okay, strangers strangers on the internet.
Speaker 2: I thought you.
Speaker 1: Nothing scares me. I'm more afraid of the swifties. Anyway. What did your doctors say to you? Oh?
Speaker 2: So just this generally, I sort of feel when I said this already, but I had my annual physical and my doctor said to me that they doctors are now are being pressured to use AI in their and their appointments to record the appointment. So usually your doctor takes notes.
Speaker 1: They covered this on the PIT on an episode of the Pit, she starts recording the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so my doctor refuses to do it. Good, But she wanted me to know that they doctors from on high are being pressured to use it because they're saying that it'll it'll cut time because your doctor does notes. And then I guess at the end of the day or the end of the week they do like they have to like.
Speaker 1: Recap it your it's.
Speaker 2: Recording the session.
Speaker 1: I don't know who gets that like that.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what she was saying. And she's saying right now, they're not making them do it, but they want them to do it, and that she's also telling me that she wanted me to know that the doctor is obligated to tell you, the patient that this is happening for now. And I was like, oh, is it like at the front desk they're telling you. She was like, no, the doctor has to say to you. Is it okay with you if I record this and that it gets transcribed by AI and you can say yes or no, and if you say no and they do it anyway, and that is mal practice?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she was really she was fit to be tied. As they say.
Speaker 1: I went to the doctor and he didn't take any notes and he wasn't typing. And now I'm like, was he recording that?
Speaker 2: According to my doctor? He had to tell you.
Speaker 1: I am the worst lawyer though, and I will just sign anything, So it's totally possible that I signed something.
Speaker 2: They had to tell you verbally. Oh that question. I was like, is this something that i'm because you know we all do this, right You go to the doctor and you're just like, well, cook a cook, and then you just sign your life away. And she said, no, they have to tell you verbally, That's what she said.
Speaker 1: I found a weird lawsuit that was around space cause spaces in the news, and I wanted to sort of bring it to you. It's from aw it's from a while ago, but it's Florida versus Noak, where.
Speaker 2: It happens in Florida. Sorry, Florida.
Speaker 1: When I was reviewing the case, I was like fucking Florida, man, Shit always happens in Florida. But she was a Navy captain and NASA astronaut, and she worked with this man William and they began a romantic relationship at NASA. Yeah, love and space.
Speaker 3: It was very cute until it wasn't anymore.
Speaker 1: Until I mean, most lawsuits, if you're ending up in criminal court, something.
Speaker 2: Happened where something went awry.
Speaker 1: No one's in criminal court because they are just in love. But their relationship developed during long training hours, simulations, and travel, and it was romantic yet inconsistent was how it was described, so complicated by distance schedules. One person's in orbit, one person's not, one person's at the International Space Station. But no one really acknowledged the relationship at NASA, which I thought was interesting that there was no real like precedent for romantic relationships in NASA.
Speaker 2: In other words, whether or not it was okay or not okay to have a relationship. Yeah, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: Strange, mean, because most companies have some sort of policy.
Speaker 2: How long ago are we talking?
Speaker 1: I think this was what yere was the scene I think was two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so yeah, with the past. Within the past twenty years or so.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there have been other romantic relationships that NASA. This wasn't like the first one.
Speaker 2: Sure, but maybe it's the first one that went so bad.
Speaker 1: It did kind of go bad, actually, so William, the gentleman in the relationship, William o'falan, He later started dating Colleen Shipman, who was an Air Force captain. So it was sort of like this love triangle. We've got Lisa, We've got Colleen, and we have William.
Speaker 2: Good old Billy. Billy's the guy. Remember what I was talking about the other day about every woman has a man in her life that drives them crazy.
Speaker 1: Billy, Oh thought going to say, yours was a guy named Billy. No, it wasn't, because I was going to say lightning doesn't strike twe.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no to Billy's no. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lisa struggled a lot because Billy started dating Colleen and there was a little bit of uh. There was frequent communication after they broke up, and that was sort of what was in the case and the prosecutors sort of presented was these consistent, constant communications over a lot of emails, and she was emailing Billy pretending to be Colleen.
Speaker 2: And he was falling for it, yeah, which is like, come on, Billy.
Speaker 1: It's also like not to victim blame, but.
Speaker 2: Like no, no, not to victim blame.
Speaker 1: But but also it's two thousand and six er thousand. What was email like back then? That she could make up an email? Was it easier to fall for it? Maybe?
Speaker 2: I guess so. But also was he not speaking to Colleen to know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: She starts, she's so, now you're having these conversations with Colleen, but really Lisa over email? But are you also seeing Colleen and referring back to the email? She's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: It reminded me that we used to have conversations on email. Do you remember this?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do.
Speaker 1: I totally forgot about it. Yeah, yeah, but I would say up until like twenty twelve, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Whenever cell phones became a thing.
Speaker 1: Whenever that is, the cell phones were a thing then, but.
Speaker 2: Like like smartphones, because remember if you had a Nokia, you were like pressing the seven.
Speaker 1: Nine word, you're pressing, you can only do it. Yeah, I do sometimes miss a BlackBerry where you could just like type under the table where you had like.
Speaker 2: The keyboard my BlackBerry.
Speaker 1: Yeah I was.
Speaker 2: I held on to it for a.
Speaker 1: Long as long as you could. Yeah, But no, I was just thinking about like people who had conversations over email back then, and how we don't do that anymore, no at all. Now it's like I need this thing? Is my email? Or an email I get is like I need this thing, and it's like here it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, now I think we're just using email for work less personal, right.
Speaker 1: Because and marketing and shopping.
Speaker 2: And shopping correct.
Speaker 1: And now we're just all texting.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So that was not the case in two thousand and six because Lisa was pretending to be Colleen and she learned somehow that Colleen was flying to Orlando to visit William, and while she was visiting, it triggered a sort of like now or never mindset and Lisa thought that she could confront and persuade William to sort of leave Colleen for her. And this is all in like court transcripts.
Speaker 2: Let this be a lesson. If you have to do that, I know, if you have to like beg and plead and cajole somebody to be with you, then you don't.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done that to a man. I will. I'll go on the record and say that I have been dumped and not accepted it for like some time. But I wasn't like contacting.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't. I was despondent, but like not, I.
Speaker 1: Was like confused that I was like, well, what do you mean it was so great?
Speaker 2: I wasn't confused. I wasn't confused. I was sad, right, I mean, like clear eyed, but like not wanting to reach out to the person, but like, rather, that's not what I do. I would I am. I was more of a stay home, covers over my head, e pizza.
Speaker 1: Pizza, Yeah, yeah, I did. I did that. But then I think I also got drunk and like called him, oh, like.
Speaker 2: A drunk call. Yeah, drunk called.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm pretty extroverted, so it was.
Speaker 2: I'm not Yeah, oh white people very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, there's always the one that gets away. We all want to be the one who gets away. I've gotten away, but I've also got been gotten away from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fine. I'm never sorry.
Speaker 1: And eventually you get to a to Colleen. Yes, Colleen, so she confronts her. She's wearing she packed her car with items and decided to confront William in Orlando and drove from Texas.
Speaker 2: Wearing adult diapers so that she wouldn't have to stop. And that is dedication.
Speaker 1: And she admitted to the adult diapers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Later, like the police were like, we didn't find any evidence of this. She came forward and wanted to let us know that she was wearing diapers while she was driving to Florida to confront them. You won't catch me admitting to being DipEd up. That would never be something that I would tell anyone. But you know, live your truth. Love seeing that people are, you know, saying the quiet part out loud. But she drove alone, drove straight rather than flying. She arrived in Orlando just as the flight was landing, so she really had this like planned out and waited in the airport parking area. And it's described as a brief confrontation in court transcripts. But she pepper sprays Colleen kind of attacks them, which was later used. She was charged with battery. And this case, the legal precedent for this case really comes down to the mensraa, which we talk about a lot, but it's like how much mensraa do you need and how much of an actual act. Do you need to charge someone with attempted murder? Right, So we need to have the mensraa to want to commit the crime, but we also need like a significant step. So prosecutors were trying to say that her driving all the way from Texas was the step towards the commission of the crime, the crime being attempted murder, but they ended up playing it out and negotiating because the evidence was so weak. There's so many things that someone could be thinking or going through on a drive from Texas to Florida. Sure like there was no documentation of the mental state other than the fact that she.
Speaker 2: Wanted anybody messages or say anything.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And so the defense was like, this was just like emotional distress. It wasn't intent to commit murder. There was a bbgun that she had, She brought a bbgun pistol with her, But what did they argue? They argued it was intent to terrorize or was it they were doing it? They argued that she brought a bbgun pistol. The defense said it was to scare them rather than actually harm because can you you can't kill someone with a BB gun, can you?
Speaker 2: I don't know I mean maybe if you like, stick it in their ear or something like. Do you know what I'm saying, You have to really attempt to.
Speaker 1: I guess everything's a weapon.
Speaker 2: I think anything can be a weapon.
Speaker 1: That's what they said us in middle school. They said a pen could be a weapon.
Speaker 2: It can if I stick it in your eyes, that'll smart some, won't it.
Speaker 1: Saying like you know, that was such a harmony granger thing to say, like it'll small a bit, it's a bit small and stick this pen in your eye anyway, So she brought cash and prepaid items. Some messages were described as confessional and fixated. The b begun was described as realistic looking, raising fear, even though it wasn't lethal. So investigators found no evidence of alcohol or drugs. And this was so it wasn't really like impairment wasn't a part of the case. But psych evaluations also showed no psychosis that this was right.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like she did all this stuff seemingly while maybe upset, but stone cold, sober and not out of her mind right, and was very like dedicated.
Speaker 1: It was emotional distress. Yes, it was an obsessive fixation, is how I would characterize it if I were the defense attorney and the victim escaped by locking Colleen escapes, she locks herself in her car and drives away. So Colleen was able to get away after getting Pepper spreed. William's hands are like inexplicably clean in this which not to victim blame, but we know through personal experiences how men can make us crazy, right, you said last episode every woman has a man.
Speaker 2: I do feel that way.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, I have one and all my friends have one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm like, huh, this is one of those situations, like we have a woman who seems to have been driven to the brink of madness. Yeah, made a significant step to commit a crime, was accused of and convicted of a crime. We have no information about what transpired in that relationship, right, Like what was that Like, what did she go through? What was that breakup? Like was he cheating on with her with Colin? I mean, I really don't want to be the one who's like he had to come in And that's not me saying that.
Speaker 2: No, I just don't.
Speaker 1: We don't know anything. All we have is the reaction. We don't have the action of what actually happened in the relationship.
Speaker 2: What he promised her, what she understood it to be, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: And just knowing history of the world, there usually is something so that is like prejudicing me as I read this right.
Speaker 2: Like some sort of a gas lighting situation, right, yeah, or like a little bit.
Speaker 1: Like that, or like some are like I've dated guys where they're always like looking at the hot guy over your shoulder, like you're talking to them and they're like this looking over your shoulders.
Speaker 3: Disrespect at the nets and it's like I'm not fucking good enough, or just dump me and go hit it, like I don't know why not just so I don't know, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: The tea was. It seems like we we need to hear what the tea was from her. But Peppersford was the only item actually used during their encounter, so they were able to sort of like attempt charges really hinge on proximity, and prosecutors worried that a jury might overreact to like the astronaut status. The fact that she was an astronaut actually helped the defense and they would say, rather than like looking at the law, that her being an astronaut actually like gave a lot more credibility because she had gone through that crazy intense training. Because it is like a status thing. There are so few, like how many astronauts do you know? I know zero? So defense counsel quietly benefited from the fact that she had so much status associated with her Air Force status as well as astronauts.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure they listened to her record and if she had sort of been not behaving in this way in the past, that would be like something must have happened, right, and they were able to use that to her benefit. Did she go to jail?
Speaker 1: She did so, she oh, she did go to jail. So the plea deal avoided a jury trial that NASA. NASA really I mean, NASA is the other part in this. They really wanted to avoid a jury trial because it would have made all over headlines. Even just the attempted act of one of their officers doing this got so much media attention.
Speaker 2: Now they really like and they also interviewed other astronauts because apparently it was having a really negative impact on morale at NASA, which is interesting. I don't think I would have thought about that, like why maybe because what we were saying, how many astronauts are there right, and they probably, I mean I don't know, probably all know each other.
Speaker 1: Imnity.
Speaker 2: There's a community and it's a small.
Speaker 1: It's like a small elite community. Imagine, so for one person from that community to sort of be a mal actor I could imagine was.
Speaker 2: What was she charged with?
Speaker 1: So she didn't actually serve any prison sentence. She spent two days in jail after the encounter, but then she had a year of probation after that because she pled out just to the assault, the battery charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she also lost her her astronaut pension eligibility, which is a big deal.
Speaker 1: That's got to suck. Yeah, I'm sure that's like a major any pension.
Speaker 2: Any pension that you lose because you she invested all that time and training. I wonder, I wonder where she is now. I wonder how she is honestly.
Speaker 1: Truly, Like it seems like one of these situations where it's like you go through something really tough. Yeah, you have a shit experience with a guy, You make some mistakes, like we have all done that drunk dial gone through a guy's phone because we were suspicious, Like I've all taken some sort of step, maybe not as extreme as this one. This is extreme, but it does. I don't know. I was like reading it and I was like, I feel really empathetic towards this person like this that had to go through this, and this was something that I don't know, there was just something like really sympathetic about it where I was like, damn, Like I read a lot about crime and punishment and I'm like, I don't really know what was happening there, but this one, I was like, I actually do kind of know what was happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, because it feels like if we're just sort of reading this and trying to understand, it feels like she had some sort of an emotional break right yeah, where she felt, whether it's true or not, she felt that maybe this man had promised her something or she felt like the relationship was promising in some way and felt like, well, why couldn't he love me? Like I'm going to make him love me. I'm going to show him how wonderful I am, and I'm going to go do all these things. That's That's not how you get someone to want to be with you. It's just not Michael, don't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: Could I'm still figuring out how I get someone I want to be with me. My own husband is like, when are you leaving?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm serious.
Speaker 2: He's not telling the truth. He's really I know that he's not telling the truth. This a cry for help, folks.
Speaker 1: This has been under oath. We'll be right back. This is Tells from the DMS. We're going to talk about all the things you send me in my DMS. I'm going to answer all your questions. Remember, if you have a question, go to my link tree on any of my social media's and go to speak Pipe is the link and you can record your voice and we'll play it on the air.
Speaker 2: And remember everyone, while Michael is a lawyer, he's not your lawyer. So everything that you hear here, that you hear here, yeah, here here, everything that you hear here is for entertainment purposes only.
Speaker 1: She's been to platform nine and three quarters. You can tell here here, here here. All right, this is our first question and we're going to keep it anonymous as always, don't give us any identifying information. Hit it CJ, Hey, Michael, this is well.
Speaker 4: This is someone just a briefcase. I was deported for an aggravated felony. I snumped back in the country, and now I'm in this dilemma. What could I do. I've heard of waivers being.
Speaker 2: Asked for.
Speaker 4: As a forgiveness waiver and readjusted while I'm inside. Or would you suggest, based on what's going on, to just go back to my home country and and perhaps just waited out. Something interesting that I saw was that, well I was in a detention center in Louisiana, people were bar from any sort of immigration benefit for three, five and ten years. I did not see a twenty year or a permanent bar. My question is, in my documents, there's no limit. There's nothing saying that I'm forbidden from applying or bar from applying for any type of immigration benefit. There's no time frame. And so I'm wondering if due to the aggravated aggravated felony, is it that I'm bar permanently or could you maybe help me out with with my question?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Thanks, that's a lot, Yeah, he has a lot going on.
Speaker 1: It's there's there are a lot of things he's talks about that are kind of insider baseball, like aggravated felony is like a classification and immigration law for certain types of felonies. They're a big deal in the South Southern States. Certain things like you know, threatening someone while using they call it like terroristic threats, and it's like, go, fuck, I'm gonna fucking kill you is like considered a terroristic threat, which we New Yorkers use every day on subway, but certain things get classified. I don't know what the crime was, but if he's basically to answer your question, anonymous, if you were convicted of an aggravated felony, it bars most pathways for immigration forward, so like you can't get asylum. It's really hard to overturn you would and I understand what he was saying. So the waivers that he's talking about, there are these certain bands on X number of years if you've been deported with if you've been here illegally and you get deported, there are certain number of years that you're banned from re entry. So that's what he's kind of talking about. So it's usually like I think it's one hundred and eighty days to a year. I think the band is like a year once you've deported and you're coming back in because this person re entered. That is sort of what he's talking about. He learned about that in detention from other migrants.
Speaker 2: But let's say he went back to his country. Yeah, the United States doesn't necessarily know that he's here. Could he go back home and reapply to come into the unit or is that so?
Speaker 1: That is a great question. The problem with that is that if you have an aggravated felony conviction, yeah, it is going to bar you from most avenues of the entry.
Speaker 2: No matter what, no matter what.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's probably why he had to come back illegally crossed.
Speaker 2: I mean, he didn't have to come back, have to, but yeah, there were choices that were made.
Speaker 1: Sorry, great clarification. Couldn't come back legally?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Is that great clarification? But yeah, So the bottom line is really like aggravated felony pulus a legal re entry usually as a permanent bar.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, period, do you think there is any scenario where the reason he committed the what was it, the aggravated felony would impact his ability to come back.
Speaker 1: We always talk about this like there's always something you can do as a lawyer, right, Like, there's always like an appeal, there's always the habeast and there's that there's always a lawyer who can find something to attempt. If this person were like, you must do something, Michael, I would challenge that felony charge. I would find a way to appeal that charge, and I would try and get that overturn because that's going to free up everything else, Okay, because every other immigration pathway it is going to be blocked just by having that decision ruled against your So that is what I would do, is I would, if if you were like, Michael, you have to do something, challenge the aggravated felony and get that overturned because that'll at least open up some avenues because otherwise, no, there's no forgiveness waiver, that's not that doesn't apply. There's no like waiting it out when it cut like that. Those charges are on the books. So unless you get that overturned, there's nothing else you can really do. So thank you for your question, like, thank you for your honesty. That was a really interesting one.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of work with people who've been accused of crimes who then are trying to face the immigration process, and you can have I had someone who had twelve criminal convictions, Okay, none of them were aggravated felonies, though. Okay, they were all like drug possession misdemeanors, and I was able to get that person's status. I got them LPR. It's called LPR cancelation, okay, because but if even one of them was considered an aggravated felony, No, that pathway is not an option.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: We recently were contacted by PETA, which is how we know we made it in the biz, and I wanted to turn the mic over to Melissa, who has a prepared statement. As a bober Truther, it's important for me to be open and honest and create dialogue on this show for all opinions. So I'm going to turn the micro ver to Melissa, who wants to respond to Peter's Peter reached out with concerns because we were talking about for and how Melissa likes to thrift and buy vintage furs from animals that it's not new fur. And so I'm going to turn it over to her, and I'm going to say nothing else because I don't want to get canceled.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, shout out to Peter. It was a really kind letter, and I appreciate the information that you gave us. Basically what said first said that he wanted to thank us for because Michael and I had said in our last episode that we were not interested in buying any new for those kinds of things, but that he also wanted us to know that. And I think he says I want to quote him here. He says that we wanted to share that. Unfortunately, whether someone is wearing FIR made in twenty twenty six or nineteen twenty six, it still sends the same message to others that it's okay to exploit and kill animals for the sake of fashion. I have said this before and I will continue to say this. I'm always willing to be educated. I'm always willing to have a conversation or a dialogue with somebody. And I really appreciate the way that Peter reached out to us. I'm actually very touched by the message. Also said that if I guess Michael or I or anyone is interested in donating there for items that there's a space for that, I will put that in my social media. Michael, will you put it in your show? And I'm going to reach back out to you. I have two pieces that I am willing to donate and everything else that you've said I will absolutely keep that under advisement, and once again, I really appreciate you guys reaching out to us.
Speaker 1: I want to say that I think it's okay to wear and buy vintage for as long as it appears vintage, right, Like, if you're buying a fur coat that looks brand new, you're propagating sort of.
Speaker 2: Like I disagree with that, Okay, So I do think there's a difference in purchasing vintage fur. I do. I think it's like I said, I would never buy something new. I don't know that it matters that it looks vintage.
Speaker 1: I guess everyone is cool not buying new fur. It doesn't matter if it looks vintage, right, because like if we're walking around wearing fur and like we look really hot and then someone sees this and it's like wow, I love for I also want to buy fur, but that person knows I'm not going to buy new fur. I don't think we should be killing minks. Let me go to an estates own and buy a thrifted fur coat. I guess it's like it doesn't have to be one or the other, as long as people are aware and informed that don't buy new fur. Yeah, and let's have like a really hot market on the secondary market for vintage fur. I think that's okay.
Speaker 2: I do think it needs to be one or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you can buy new first, right, I mean I don't support that.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with that. I understand why people object to for whether it is vintage or new. My feeling about vintage fur is that that is a deed that has been done probably before we were born, sure, right, and if we dispose of it, so it is either going to end up in a landfill or it's going to be destroyed in some way. I'm not sure what else could happen with fur that already exists. So that's for me, that's the difference I think about.
Speaker 1: My mom donated my eyas for to the animal shelter and the pets all slept on it. That is something you can donate it. But I think that like the difference between what does that do?
Speaker 2: I'm genuinely curious.
Speaker 1: I don't think it does anything. I think it's just like an ethical way to dispose.
Speaker 2: Of first you don't want, okay, because.
Speaker 1: My mother was like, I'm never gonna wear the ears. Yeah, but I guess like, I'm okay, I'm okay with vintage for it, but I am like open to being corrected, like as always if you've got a strong argument, like I'll take it, I'll learn, I'll grow, I'll apologize and like, but from where I say right now, knowing that what I know, which I think is enough mm hm, I feel like it's okay to have to buy vintage for and wear it is okay to me.
Speaker 2: Same but again, always open to have the conversation. Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Get on the record, message us, you can email us brief recess at exactly rightmedia dot com and like, let's have the debate. Like I'm I'm actually open to it. I don't really I don't think I buy any first. So it's it's like it's absolutely zero stakes for me, but I'm curious to hear because I could be persuaded. Let's have the debate. Let's do it. Yeah, I will say, as someone who people contact me on the internet all the time with the craziest fucking shit, this was a very nice letters was it was really nice?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, pact people.
Speaker 1: Call me names. They oh they the swifties are trying to dox me, Peter was I have to say, yeah, they get a bad rap. This was one of the nicest emails I've kind of gotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really so. And like I said, we really appreciate you listening, We appreciate you reaching out, and you will hear from me this week for sure.
Speaker 1: This has been tales from the DMS. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: This has been Brief Recess.
Speaker 2: I'm Michael Foot, Melissa Albrant.
Speaker 1: I'll see your ass in court, not me. This has been an exactly right production recorded at iHeart Studios, hosted by me Michael Foot and.
Speaker 2: Me Melissa Albrant. Our producer is CJ. Ferroni.
Speaker 1: This episode was edited by Nicholas Galucci.
Speaker 2: Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain, and our guest booker is Patria Cottner.
Speaker 1: Our theme song was composed by Tom Brifogel with artwork from Charlotte Delarue Mansa Lilac with photograph by Brad Obono.
Speaker 2: Brief Recess is executive produced by Karen Kilgareff, Georgia hart Stark, and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Instagram at Department of Redundancy Department or on TikTok at Michael Foot.
Speaker 2: And I'm on both Instagram and TikTok as. Melissa Albranch.
Speaker 1: Got legal questions, reach out at brief Recess at exactlyrightmedia dot com. Listen to brief Recess on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts, and of course we're a podcasts with video. Search for brief Recess on YouTube