Speaker 1: All right, mandatory mini camp just wrapped up out there on the field.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of takeaways to deliver.
Speaker 1: Plus we'll give you our final extra point in the spring that's coming up. We'll meet anybody in the world, and I think we're gonna win.
Speaker 2: Next Sunday, it's one.
Speaker 1: Can't put your seatbelts on and get ready for the ride. The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining brighton doing good, shop game Day ready, jewelry.
Speaker 2: Styles and so much more at kendriscott dot com. Greens How are.
Speaker 3: You doing well?
Speaker 2: How are you good? Man?
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like I'm on the treadmill right now. I'm just running.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it definitely feels like it's ah. I don't know if this is a taste of training camp, but it definitely feels like. One the weather was fit the bill of training camp, and two you really get the sentence that this team's gonna get after it pretty good in a month or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we should say here on Thursday that today's practice was a little bit of a lighter.
Speaker 3: One, Yes, exactly. And you know, I think it was cool that Coach Glenn talked about it where he's like, I kind of know he has a good sense of what strings or which strings to pull, which strings to push and when, because he obviously worked these guys as much as he could, you know, within the parameters of the NFLPA. And Michael Carter the second said like after the light practice today, I don't think the players knew that Coach Glenn was gonna call it early. And then all of a sudden, Michael Carter's like, you know what, Like he said to trust him because he's gonna work us, but then he's also gonna make sure that he takes care of you. So I think we saw a glimpse of that today. And you know what I thought was really fun obviously was the offensive lineman going through not receiver drills, but almost like the game day receiver warm ups where you're just kind of jogging down the sideline, and uh, Coach Glenn kind of say, I don't think there's some offensive linemen that have some hands.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody is here for the Jets content and they want to hear about mini camp, but let's talk about how we started our days.
Speaker 2: Were you in the gym today?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you have any tells from the gym?
Speaker 3: No? No, Usually you see some you see some stuff going on where it's like, you know, either a real life situation or you're like, what's this dude wearing flip flops doing pull ups in a bathing suit like that kind of deal. But you know, take a city. No, I don't think so. I don't know. That happened a couple days ago, where you know, if you're wearing flip flops at the gym, you're doing pull ups. I have some serious questions.
Speaker 2: All right, So were you in the gym? I was inspired again this morning?
Speaker 1: Okay, there was this dude in there, squad three sixty five three times.
Speaker 3: No problem, really, no problem, life through butter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, is.
Speaker 1: He and then he moved over the young young dude or yeah, I'd say he's under thirty okay, so for me that's young yeah, yeah, yeah, And he grabs a pair of hundreds dumbbells Hungarian split squats hundreds he's.
Speaker 3: Doing a Hungarian split squats, yeah, with one hundred pounds in each hand with hondows? Is this guy a tank?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What is it is?
Speaker 2: He just overheard I overheard him talking.
Speaker 1: A little bit because somebody said you should have played football. He's about two forty, it's probably six six.
Speaker 3: Can we get like a player cop like physique wise on the Jets.
Speaker 4: That's like would be like a tight end probably okay, like a rucker like six six, yeah, like fifty, like a slimmer of rock maybe okay, so maybe like a receiver, like a converted receiver tight end, like a hybrid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this, dude, I mean that was impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've been going to this gym for several years and I've not seen that.
Speaker 3: That's very impressive.
Speaker 1: When somebody gets up to the squad three sixty five, no problem, no groaning, nothing easy, Okay.
Speaker 3: I think what really gets me is the split squat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was crazy, And I know people are like, okay, you know some people are gonna comment, but like boll, that was nothing.
Speaker 2: No, this is this is some serious work.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, that's beyond like. So again, I wonder if you've told that to any player on the Jets. I feel like they they think that's a freaky trait that someone is doing split squats with one hundred pound dumbells.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone he's dropping dumb bells.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the place, it's like an earthquake. Yeah, six point is there like a padded floor though it has to be right, like like a foamy type thing. Yeah, there's a there's one gym there. There's one gym in the city that like it has the two back machines like facing this way. Then there's like almost like a sandwich, and then on one side there's a pull up, like assisted pull up. So if you're in the middle of assisted pull up and someone's doing the back plat pulldowns and it's a heavyweight and they let go you're doing a pull up, your arms start shaking really crazy.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: And then another time I felt bad for this young lady because she said that some guy was using the bench and all he was doing was looking on his phone.
Speaker 2: That is a big no no for me.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that sounds like you might have said it because I know that that's your pet beams.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to the Jets here.
Speaker 3: Quick day.
Speaker 1: Here a lot accomplished here for the Jets throughout the entire offseason, going back to Phase one through now let's start Tuesday, though, what you saw out there on the field overcast day, a couple of sprinkles out there.
Speaker 2: But one thing that stood out to me was.
Speaker 1: Aaron Glenn immediately discuss the fact that he likes what he's seeing it from his quarterback justin fields, and he pointed out in incompletion to start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was gonna say, I feel like the days are running a little bit together for me. So I'm glad that you mentioned that because the play that he was referencing was an incompletion because instead of trying to force the ball downfield or force it to, you know, a covered receiver, he just threw it away, meaning fields. And I think that that's something not watching justin fields throughout his first couple seasons in the NFL. I don't know if he's done that a lot. I would imagine that as a young quarterback. I mean we've seen it here with the Jets, where young quarterbacks try to force the ball into the receiver's hands into tight windows and they don't need to and you have to live to fight another down. And you know, sometimes simple is effective, even though it might be boring. But boring doesn't necessarily mean it's bad in football, And I think that's kind of what Aaron Glenn was talking about out and you know, there were plenty of plays, though I will say maybe not in that particular practice.
Speaker 2: We can talk about it as a whole. Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I just went back to Tuesday. I just thought it was very interesting. Is that That's one thing that was the first thing that came out of Aaron's mouth. It wasn't about this completion of there was downfield strike or this scramble, but it was just.
Speaker 2: His decision making.
Speaker 1: And that's the one thing I want to point out here is that Fields his decision making if you look at his career, has gotten better at each step, at each different level as far as the years have gone by. And last year with Pittsburgh he appeared in ten games, he won interception and only two turnovers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. And I think also it's important to note in terms of these practices that it was a little bit of a different format to OTAs Obviously the rules are still the same in terms of no contact, but in OTA's there was the team period. There was a seven on seven period Tuesdays and Wednesday's practice before Thursday's light lighter session was one long move the ball period, different situations kind of sprinkled here throughout, but it was you know, we started this yard line. You have opportunities to lead your respective unit down the field for field goal, for a touchdown. And on that day Tuesday, when Aaron Glenn talked about how he was impressed with fields decision making, he led two field goal drives. And you know that. I don't believe there were any touchdown drives that day, but it was still to your point, even though there's no pads, you can only take so much from these practices. It's good to see someone seemingly believe that his quarterback is making progression from even last year, which was a career year.
Speaker 1: You can't talk Field without talking Garrett Wilson. I will say this before we go back the G five. The most outstanding player for me throughout the spring without it out was Wilson.
Speaker 2: He is incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay, every day watching him and we go back to Tuesday, and again we're not going to do a play by play here, We're not doing stats, but I believe on the first seven offensive plays he touched the ball either five or four times.
Speaker 3: Yes, we wrote in the practice report. Field started the first eleven play drive with a pass to wide receiver Garrett Wilson, who was targeted four times in the first seven plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I did say touches because I think he actually had five touches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 1: And look, so we can't tell everybody where everybody's lining up and what's exactly the play was.
Speaker 3: I mean, but again, I do think that goes to show that Aaron Glenn said that they're going to try to get the ball to Garret Wilson as much as possible. Obviously, Tanner Engstrand isn't like opening up the playbook in June. But you get this, You see motion and you see some creative aspects that I think Jets fans should be excited about. And with Garrett Wilson, I think what's really cool is that he's obviously a spectacular player, and it seems every year he just seems to be a little more comfortable, a little more smooth, a little more efficient, and he just moves a little differently than everybody else.
Speaker 1: The first time Field's got the ball on Wednesday, a move the ball period. He dials up the long ball, spectacular, spectacular touch to Wilson, who catches it, who finds it in the.
Speaker 2: Air and catches it inside the five yard line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great play, I mean, and you know, it was one of those plays where it's good coverage even or great coverage even better throw. And so I think that that is one of the throws and the touchdown to Josh Reynolds. I think that was a couple of plays after that where they were pinpoint throws from justin fields. And again it's not like he's dealing with a lot of pressure, the potential you know, getting hit, getting tackled, like there was none of that. But it was still nice to see on air, Yes, that the ball was being thrown and spun at a high level.
Speaker 1: And you said, Brandon Stevens right there had good coverage and the long ball. Now, in terms of that touchdown pass to Josh Reynolds, man, the placement on that ball, it goes down if you're scoring at home as less than a ten yard scoring pass, maybe even it was a five yard scorner.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the accuracy on that.
Speaker 1: Andre Cisco was in good position. The ball was just in a perfect spot. Yeah, yet low corner, you know, right in front of the pylon.
Speaker 3: It was awesome there you go, and I will say we've talked about it a little bit at times, like the energy at practice Reynolds scores, the entire offense, including guys from the sideline, all run across the field to celebrate with Renold, like Glenn is talking about the competes periods and how he wants a team to be competitive and show it. Well, not only is the team being competitive, but they're also I don't want to say they're definitely not like over celebrating, but they're making sure to celebrate their wins when they had the chance to. And I think it's awesome. I think that training camp is going to be really fun to watch and it's gonna be fun thing to be a part of, I would imagine, because if you're a player on either side of the ball, you know that you're gonna have an opportunity to make plays and be competitive, and that's really all you can ask for.
Speaker 2: So Tuesday, Wednesday, first two drives.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, first two drives on Wednesday, the fields has the offense in position to score each time they come away with two field goals on Tuesday. The Reynolds touchdown on Wednesday, his second drive he got and you wrote about this. Here's the situation, twenty to fourteen, twenty eight seconds left, no timeouts. You're starting your own thirty five, so you got to go sixty five yards in order.
Speaker 2: To win the ballgame.
Speaker 1: In this situation, he led his group to the one yard line.
Speaker 2: Nice job by.
Speaker 1: Fields here, creating something when it didn't look like something was happening.
Speaker 2: I believe it was fourth and long.
Speaker 1: He scrambles and he looks for Garrett Wilson, and Wilson was able to draw the DPI That gave the offense another opportunity for the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was It was again a competitive drive because before that, similar to the following drive led by Tyrod Taylor, you really thought the offense was on the verge of stalling out. Yeah, And sure enough, Dpi on timed down at the one, and Fields again looked for Garrett Wilson, and it was an outside like it was almost like an out route that went to the pilot. It looked like or it felt like.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a scramble draw. I'm gonna make myself available for the quarterback. I see him getting out a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that fell incomplete and Tyrod Taylor the following drive, it looked like they were that unit was on the brink of stalling, and Brandon Smith over the middle like a long completion gave that that group life and then I believe didn't they score Tyrod run it in, Yes, yes he did so then that group scored off of that, and you know, I believe I'm ninety nine. It was Azaria A Thomas Ai A Thomas who was in coverage on the Brandon Smith play, and like, I just think that he was again good coverage. That right there is probably a teachable moment for him because it's I think, really what we've noticed in mini camp, situational football will be stressed throughout every practice.
Speaker 1: Okay, just getting back to fields real quick. Yes, we were out of three OTA's. We talked about this at length last week, that the media is only allowed out to three of the ten. Then you have mandatory mini camp, mandatory mini camp, and you're out for each session.
Speaker 2: Knock on glass here.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get back to fields for second and say I didn't see him turn the ball over in any of the successions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think if maybe there was a tips pass or something at one of the time, but I don't in a team situation, I don't think, so that's what I'm trying to think of. And but again, he only he threw one interception last year, right right ten to one. I mean five of them were rushing, five of them were throwing touchdowns, and one pick, which was a considerable decrease I believe from years past. I don't think that there was a turnover. You know, the turnovers that stand out to me is the like the Jalen Simpson turnovers, But that wasn't from justin Fields. Also because Jalen Simpson then decides to do something incredibly acrobatic. He did the cartwheel into the backflip. He pretended to he pretended to dunk on the goalpost.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But so we're gonna get to the defense here in a little bit. But again, Fields, solid spring. You gotta be impressed by the way not only he's looked on the field, but also the way he carries himself.
Speaker 2: And I think the players gravitate towards him.
Speaker 1: There's this calm, there's this confidence about him.
Speaker 2: He's growing.
Speaker 1: He's twenty six years old, new system, but you really feel like he's getting comfortable here, and that's what the spring was all about.
Speaker 2: Offensive line.
Speaker 1: Listen, we're gonna find out a lot more once the pads come on. But you like the talent assembled up there, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's hard not to like the talent up front. End. Again, to your point, I couldn't sit here and tell you how how well armand Membu practiced. You know, there's no pads. I'm not an offensive line expert. It's hard to tell because you know, in the moment you're not really allowed to have contact. So that's the missing link in all this in terms of evaluating and really just trying to see even if you're the media, if you're us out there, like you want to see what he looks like, it's hard to tell.
Speaker 1: And oh, by the way, these are positive experiences when he's matched up against Will McDonald's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm glad you mentioned that because there was a tweet that was like, you know, Will McDonald's eating armand Membu for lunch and look, there's no pads. Will McDonald's also a very good pass rusher. You had double digit sacks and he's put on fifteen pounds and armand member's twenty one years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are outstanding experiences for.
Speaker 2: Him out totally right now. And then the competition off front. You gotta like it.
Speaker 1: You had a guy Myers into the equation in him a tip, you know, getting some valuable run at the center position.
Speaker 2: I would be remissed if we didn't talk about Breese Hall a little bit. He addressed the media this week.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, Yeah, I think pres All seems to I mean, he said he always has a chip on his shoulder, but look he's saying all the right things. But I also think he believes them like I don't. The Jets have three talented running backs and Braylan Allen, Isaiah Davis and Breeze Hall. Just hearing coach Glenn talk and Tanner engstrand the OC, it definitely sounds like they're all going to play. But hearing Brice say his story with AG when he when AG calls him, He's like, Brice, you think I want to trade you? It's like, I don't know, do you fair question? Glenn's like, no, I don't like you're You're the running back of this team, and so I think that that means something. I don't think Glenn is someone to give fluff or you.
Speaker 1: Knows right exactly so if he says it when he calls Brice all and says, I want you here, you're a running.
Speaker 3: Back, so so to me. Yeah, I think that again one of those positions where we won't really be able to tell what twenty twenty five Breese Hall, twenty twenty five Braylan Allen or twenty twenty five Isaiah Davis really look like until the pats come off. But Braylan Allen, by the way, he might be the front runner in terms of one hundred pounds split squats in one dumbbell each hand. And I had to bet I think it'd probably be him.
Speaker 2: Yo, he'd be a monster in the weight room.
Speaker 1: We know that.
Speaker 2: Well, we know he's a monster in a weight room.
Speaker 3: I mean, but I'd like to see him just pull up at like the local gym, just like and pretend he's not an NFL player. See what people think.
Speaker 1: I think he's a guy. You just hey, you need anything over here, I'll clear out of the way.
Speaker 2: I want to get a down year for Breese Hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eight hundred and seventy six yards on the ground. Remind you the Jets were lasting rushing at times last season. Five touchdowns also targeted seventy six times the fifty seven reception four hundred and eighty three yards. I love his attitude because he said, I feel my skill set is that.
Speaker 2: I'm a three down back. That's second and none.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, I think that again, people are gonna say, well, you know, are you concerned that Braylen Allen and Isaiah Davis might seemingly get run with you? Who's to say there's not gonna be a multiple running back set. We saw that a little bit last year at times with specifically Brayln Allen in Breeze Hall.
Speaker 2: They all can catch out of the backfield. Yeah.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like the more you can do, the better. And I'm I don't think that's gonna be an issue. The Jets have a lot of different options how to gain yards on the ground. They have a little different flavor between Breese, Braylan and Isaiah and I think that's a good thing and I'm I'm excited to see what that looks like here in a couple of months.
Speaker 2: No pants are out the spring.
Speaker 1: But AG's right when he says that, I think I take my three against anybody in the NFL totally, And you know, I don't think we're that far removed from looking at these guys.
Speaker 2: Is Hey, the Jets have.
Speaker 1: A really bright future with Garrett Wilson and Brief Hall, so it's gonna be really fun to watch it all develop again. Tanner Angstrand, he's creative. I will tell you that we can't get into all the plays that we saw out there.
Speaker 2: He's got a creative mind. Anybody who watched Detroit.
Speaker 1: Last year knows that our last few years he's the passing game coordinator.
Speaker 2: But he's gonna put his own spin on things as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's another you know, unknown right, Like it's his first time calling plays in the NFL. But to your point, he comes from a system that's obviously very successful in Detroit with Ben Johnson who's now the coach of the Bears. And to me, it's not gonna be a carbon copy. The personnel's different. I mean, look at the quarterbacks. They couldn't be more polar opposite in terms of Jared Goff for the Lions and Justin Fields for the Jets. But with that being said, doesn't mean that Angschrand doesn't have philosophies or his own wrinkles and twists that he wants to implement here with fields and with the personnel that the Green and White have. And you know, I'd defer back to what Aaron Glenn said in the combine at the NFL Annual League Meeting, where it's not this is our offense, We're gonna spoonfeed it to you. It's what is the best offense we can create with the personnel that we have. And that's true for every year according to Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong though, for what I said? My assessment on Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's a freak. It's really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: He's so competitive and he brings everything to the table.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to watch him in fields during the regular season. Anything else on the offense, No, I think.
Speaker 3: We pretty much covered it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll keep it right there because we're gonna come back. We're gonna talk about defense.
Speaker 1: Make Game Day Dan's Day from now until June fifteenth, which is Sunday, Purchase a Jets Mini plan and score postgame field access for a game of Dan's choice to take advantage of this Father's Day off or presented by k Visit ny jets dot com slash mini plans. That's visit ny jets dot com slash miniplans terms.
Speaker 2: Do a plot? Okay, talk defense number one. Sauce Gardner the immedia today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that one. I think Sauce looks a little bigger, like stronger like. I don't know for a fact, but I think that's just the way he looks. I also think that look, he said all the right things, whether it was contract talk, whether it was play on the field. He wants to be more of a leader and get more picks in year four. All that makes sense to me. And you know, it's interesting hearing what I'll call like the perception of Sauce Gardner from the outside world to then hearing Aaron Glenn, defensive coordinator Steve Wilkes, Michael Carter the second all talk about Sauce thinking like, you know, people are saying that that he didn't have a good year, because he had a good year in the granted it might not have been the All Pro twenty twenty two or twenty twenty three version, but when you're that good that early, you set the bar so high. I think in terms of a sport that gets analyzed under the microscope, So of course you're gonna be criticized, but not that anyone listening to this as an analytics junkie. But PFF put out there that number one, Yeah, number one, corner one for number one. So to me, like, I'm excited to see what this defense does for him because there might be a different element of sauces game that we just haven't seen.
Speaker 1: I will say that Sauce Gardner and gave up a number of receptions on Thursday during the walkthrough. Nice, Nice, okay, And I would just clarify that by saying I am being facetious here because as we know, during a walkthrough, everybody is not going speed. You're going through looks, you're going over plays, you're going over formations.
Speaker 3: And the defense doesn't make a play on the ball. It was designed for the offense to just walk through the motion, which, by the way, a walk through with Aaron Glenn is more like a jog through. It's definitely not a walk.
Speaker 2: It's not a walkthrough. But my point there is every practice that we were out there and Sauce was out there, you didn't give up too much and the ball doesn't go his way a lot.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like, isn't it kind of like I'm not comparing it.
Speaker 2: Even when Garrett caught one a while back. I don't know, it might have been the one.
Speaker 3: On the left side here it is like a short pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is short right, Yeah, and he was all over him. So it had to be Garrett Wilson making a great play just to catch the ball for a minimal game.
Speaker 3: I think that Sauce gets penalized for not being targeted. Ye, And look, I wasn't here when Revis was here. Obviously, two thousand and nine will be unmatched, in my opinion, with the holding x amount of receivers under thirty.
Speaker 2: Five yards maybe forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that. But my thing is, I'm not comparing Sauce to Revis at all. But it feels like Revs was penalized because people wouldn't throw at him. Oh well, Darrell Revis doesn't have the turnover numbers, for example, in two thousand and nine that Charles Woodson had, who won Defensive Player of the Year that year. Just because people don't throw at you doesn't mean that you're not a good player. If people don't throw at you. They probably respect the hell out of you, and in the moment, think that person's not covered or that person is covered, excuse me, I'm not gonna throw over there, not like not like, oh like, I can't go over there. But in the moment, when you're a quarterback going through your progressions, if you're looking to the side that Sauce is at and he's all over your receiver, you're not gonna throw there.
Speaker 1: And I will say this, this is the perfect coaching staff for Sauce Cardner. I've said that over and over again. This is what Wilke said this week of Gardner.
Speaker 2: He's very gifted.
Speaker 1: And I told him, sometimes your greatest strength is your greatest weakness. He's a guy that sometimes that eighty five percent is still better than everybody around him. So his thing, and I told him, compete against yourself when you're that great, when you're a Sauce Gardner, when you're a Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 2: That's who you're competing against. You're competing against yourself.
Speaker 3: Well you have to at that point also because if Steve Wilks is like, look, you're very talented to the point where quarterbacks don't challenge you. The way that you want to be challenging. Maybe you feel like you're kind of going through the motions. Yeah, like that's who you have to compete with is yourself. And again not comparing the two, I remember Dion Sanders talking about that he would try to bait quarterbacks into throwing him the ball by pretending he was not in coverage. And I'm not saying Sauce Gardner should do that. I don't think the coaching staff would teach him to do that, But I do think that there's a world in which if so boss competes with anybody, including himself, there might be another level to him that we haven't seen, and this defense might look a little different than what we've seen.
Speaker 1: Aaron Glenn when I asked about his defense, but what have you seen from them so far?
Speaker 2: Fast?
Speaker 1: Speed, that's one thing you can't teach. So right now we're seeing the speed on the field. The next thing is we're gonna see, and I think you wrote about this today, is the tackling and then the takeaways. You won't see the tackling until we get to late July into August. But this team is gonna thump.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: But they're one of the better movie units in the league, and you can see that throughout the.
Speaker 3: Spring definitely, And just for for clarification, like, yes, the Jets will live tackle in practice Jets on Jets tackling. What Aaron Glenn did say though, is that you do have to have kind of a quick whistle and it would not be every day, but the way to get better at tackling is to tech and I get it. And training camp is it's gonna be hard, I think for the for the players, but I think the players, especially listening to them talk to the media. Listening to Age kind of shed some light on a conversation he had with Quincy Williams. I'd encourage to listen to that in the in the press conference from today on Thursday, June twelfth. I think that the players are bought in, and I mean the the attendance numbers alone indicate buy in. In terms of the voluntary phases of the offseason program.
Speaker 1: So Aaron, as you're talking about right now, he said to the media today, ninety one percent. Yeah, the first three phases, well, I should say the first two phases are voluntary, the third phase some is voluntary once you get to mandatory mini camp because technically mini camp is part of the third phase.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like the first two and a half phases maybe are voluntary, yeah, and the last half is mandatory. Gla to your point, said, ninety one percent showed up of the voluntary aspect, and the best team that he's ever been around from that perspective from participation was eighty percent. And so I think that this team is buying in. And I think that Glenn, for obviously not ever being a head coach in the past, has a detailed plan of what he wants to accomplish and how he thinks he wants to go about it. And remember, it's really funny to think about it. I think in two thousand and ten or twelve, when he joined the Jets as a scouting.
Speaker 2: Intern twelve and thirteen, it was all part of a.
Speaker 3: Plan to be the head coach of an NFL team. So even though he might not have the real world experience of being a head coach, this has been a part of Aaron Glenn's master plan, kind of co signed by Bill Parcells for thirteen years. Right, I mean, that's right, that's cool to think about, and he's obviously embracing this fullheartedly.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the plan.
Speaker 1: Let's go up front of level or a couple levels. We were talking about the secondary before Jermaine Johnson. We've seen him work to decide throughout the spring. Aaron Glenn said, it's possible you could start training camp on the pup list, but they expect him ready for the regular season opener when the Jets host Aaron Rodgers and the Pittsburgh Steelers, which is still a little bit weird to say it is weird. Jermaine looks good, love his attitude all the time, chomping at the bit. He said, he feels like the organization picking up the fifth year option on him was grabbing third side of the couch.
Speaker 2: He said, now it's my turn to lift the couch.
Speaker 3: And he said, I know you mentioned it being weird to say Aaron Rodgers and the Steelers. Jermaine said, look, you know they might be friends, but between the white lines, there are no friends. And I think that he's gonna pull back. Let's say on Aaron Rodgers if he has the opportunity to sack him.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he might.
Speaker 3: He might try to. You know, he tries to run through everybody. Maine is nasty and you know what else I liked, So Jermaine Johnson in two thousand, I guess it was probably early twenty twenty two, not the season, but before he was drafted, goes to the Senior Bowl. He started on the Lions coaching staff, and then I think he last second or he had the two practices, then he left. So he was part of the Lions coaching staff where Aaron Glenn was a part of that team, and Glenn remembers Johnson because he was studying him and had to work with him. Johnson said, I don't really remember much of what Aaron Glenn said because I was just trying to rip everybody's face off to improve my draft stock. And that is all you need to know about Jermaine Johnson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the edge position. We talked about Will before. We talked about Will throughout the offseason. What's his next step because we know that he's been in the weight room. He's wants to be that tough edgesetter against the run as well as the dynamic pass rusher, which he proved to be last year. You got the big guys in the middle, we talked about that. I think that Quinnon looks really good. He nice interior pass rush one of these practices, and you know you're seeing him get in that offensive backfield, and we're gonna see that more, I think once we get to camp.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to talk about the linebackers quickly speed.
Speaker 1: Surewin had a nice PD down here in the red zone when Field's got that first unit down there, he was looking in the back I think for Tyler Johnson and.
Speaker 2: Sure what was right there.
Speaker 1: We spoke about Quincy Williams as well. How when he's been on the field, he's all over the place. So the speed for this defense, I mean, at the heart of it is on the inside with those two cats.
Speaker 2: But I like what I saw.
Speaker 1: Keiko Miyano, Yeah, mynah, I should say the rookie linebacker. I thought he had his best workout throughout the offseason on ones Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think so too, And I think we mentioned it before in the earlier podcast. He's just he's a big, old school linebacker, but he.
Speaker 2: Was moving pretty well in would be sack out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And look, he's also someone that has extensive special teams experience, so I would imagine that Chris Banjo is going to utilize that to his advantage. Meaning Banjo's advantage because if you're a player that has college special teams experience, it puts you ahead of the game in terms of trying to make a roster by way of special teams in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I charged you a a backfield stop. And then he also had the would be sack and another guy.
Speaker 3: They love Kiko by the way, after that would be sacked, they all Celebratah.
Speaker 1: He plays with the kind of passion and fire I think that Glenn expects from everybody and he's going to get from I'd be remiss if we didn't mention Marcellino McCrary ball because I think he's.
Speaker 2: Had it quietly done some very nice things out there.
Speaker 3: I agree he had the force fumble on Mason Taylor. Clean punch, extremely clean punch. And Marcellino's another special team stalwarts. So if you're looking to make a team, you have special teams and for him, you have extensive and successful special teams reps. That goes that bodes well for you. So you know, I'm interested. I'm excited to see what some of these linebackers have once the Pats come on. Also, like Jamine Davis, former first round pick. This new regime keeps him on board. Like someone like that, I'm curious to see what they have in store for him because he has the talent of a first round pick, and he has speed, he's got good size. To me, the depth linebacker, the way that that depth chart shakes out is one of the underrated storylines I think of training camp.
Speaker 2: Also safety position.
Speaker 1: We spoke about it last week, is that we know Cisco is a guy they're really high on, really rangey, and he's big and it's it's really interesting when you watch him maybe on the same side as Sauce, because that's a monster safety and a monster cornerback at the same time.
Speaker 2: And those guys are gonna cover a lot of ground and.
Speaker 1: You're seeing the secondary I think learn each other right, because a lot of times you saw maybe it was a pairing of Cisco and Ta and maybe other times it was Cisco and Isaiah Oliver.
Speaker 2: And Oliver is another guy I think is popped up totally.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you mentioned him because again, last year's corner he was safety. He was a little bit of this, a little bit of that. He's been predominantly I think a safety here with Wilkes and at least so far of what we've seen in the couple practices, but every practice it feels like we're Oh, Isaiah Oliver made a play great PD coming on.
Speaker 2: The play action long pass from it.
Speaker 1: I believe that was Tye Rod to one of the rookie receivers.
Speaker 2: Let me check my notes here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so we were wondering. We were like it was far away, were like, is it Jerious Monroe? Is it Isaiah Oliver? It was Isaiah Oliver.
Speaker 2: Oliver.
Speaker 3: He's had a very impressive.
Speaker 1: Spricks covering a lot of grounds. So, uh, encouraging signs all around. Uh quickly on special teams. Uh, you know we're gonna have three competition battles. I mean you would think that, hey, x Man Gibson probably flies a little bit under the radar. I like the number switch we talked about how quickly Looks caught the ball a lot, very smooth as a catching return man. He's getting off field. I think he's got a lot of confidence. He's beat on with some rookies back there. And then the kicking competitions, we're gonna see that there's gonna be emphasis and special teams throughout camp. This is when the men are going to separate themselves from the boys when they get the pants. Come on, do you want to talk about a player from Florida, A rookie, an undrafted free agent, a Gator who is a freak.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised that you're letting me talk about him, considering your ties to Florida. But JaMarcus Weston, I'm just want to pull up his heightweight here.
Speaker 2: Well, we were just watching him cover some kicks.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting because he's listed as a defensive end at six two two thirty five.
Speaker 2: He looks about two fifty five.
Speaker 3: He's huge, and you're almost looking at it. When they first took the gunner snap, he's lined out, he's lined at gunner and you're like, all right, maybe they're just the kind of like, you know, jog down the field. JaMarcus Weston moves like no. Six to two hundred and thirty five pound defensive end should be able to move with a full steam. Listen.
Speaker 1: He played five years for the Gators. He didn't get a ton of defensive snaps, but vitible. But when you watch him takes spectual teams reps and see what kind of force. Potentially he could be because you're not hitting right now. But that guy is a truck who runs like a thoroughbred.
Speaker 3: Right And the biggest question is he runs like a thoroughbred, how can he move like shifty wise? Because right now you'd imagine he's like a pickup truck that has a big engine that can get downfield. But coming up pretty soon, we're gonna see does he have the agility required like a sports car to get through blocks on special teams and make plays? And I'm excited to see that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's.
Speaker 1: Take a quick break and we're gonna come back for an extra point game day and every day score a Drewelry touchdown with Hendry Scott. Shot Fashion to find jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or Kendris Scott dot com.
Speaker 2: Shine Bright, do Good with Kendri Scott. Here it is man springs over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you got playing in the summer?
Speaker 3: I don't think much, just kind of hanging out and trying to golf as much which is possible before our schedule gets a little constricted, to say the least.
Speaker 1: You mentioned, so we're gonna come full circle. You were talking about Thursday's workout, which was abbreviated.
Speaker 2: I think they got in the field maybe.
Speaker 1: At twelve time and they were off by twelve forty five. Yeah, a lot of fun was out there. Aaron Glenn referenced the fact that he's a player. He knows when step on the gas, when to take his foot off the pedal.
Speaker 2: So today he took the foot off the pedal.
Speaker 1: Any offensive lineman you want to shout out in terms of they're catching pro.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, no, no, I don't think so. I mean I really wanted to see something crazy.
Speaker 2: They were so for folks at home, I know you can't see this, but they were running go.
Speaker 1: Routes in the court and they were actually having attempts or pass attempts come at them from quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: I have no one that I want to shout out for their hands. But seeing some of these guys move, especially like the starting lineman, you really see the movement ability where you know armand Memboo just and we know about the forty yard dash how fast he is, but when he's running down the field or jogging down the field, you're like, Okay, that's a big dude who's running very fluidly and so, you know, I thought that was cool, But no, the not the hands team is definitely not on the offensive line. If they want to work on it, like you know Detroit and uh Skipper, you know they had the extra linement at times. If they want to do that, they want to potentially show Aaron Glenn that they had the chops to be able to do it. Go for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about Cola Ao though, first year offensive lineman from WHII. Yeah, you didn't see the one hander that he had.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I don't think I realized it was one hand.
Speaker 2: It was sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ball's coming at him. He looks it and I think he had to turn, but he caught it with his left single run Awesome.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was kind of a cool moment.
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell if Tipman had the advantage with the one glove on, one glove off, or if that was a disadvantage because of their linemen gloves or not receiver gloves.
Speaker 1: It was kind of fun fun watching the guys because some dudes the ball. Some of the quarterbacks I thought were actually treating offensive linemen like receivers, meaning that they were leading them. Yeah, if I'm throwing to you and you're three fifty, I'm just throwing right to you your spot. I'm not saying I'm going to lead you. Yeah, I'm saying where are you? You're three fifty, I'm putting it right at your head.
Speaker 3: And if if you're listening to this and not watching this, EA was not talking to me. I am not three fifty.
Speaker 2: No you're not. You're not. Do you like the way? How you know? On final point here ag ended everything.
Speaker 1: Where he said that, hey, listen, I hate that we're breaking up right now, but we got a lot of work done.
Speaker 2: And I think these guys know what the expectation is.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think listening to Age when he says, look, I'm a little upset that we're breaking for a month, but when these guys comes back, we're hitting the ground, guns blazing. I believe them wholeheartedly. And I do like his message and about how he wants the team to write its own book and they're taking different pages from different books to figure out what they want to do and how they want to write it. Like Glenn said, fasten your seatbelt, let's ride.
Speaker 1: Yep, he said, I think the players understand it exactly what we're trying to accomplish, but I do understand there's a lot more work to be done. We're ripping pages out of some situations that we want to get better at.
Speaker 2: We want to create our own narrative, and we want to write our own book. Pen Drop.
Speaker 1: Mike's dropping right now for us, but we'll be back next week.