Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast. Hello everyone, this is your Morning Run for Thursday, June twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robach and I'm TJ. Holmes on the Run this morning. The US and Iran are set to meet next week on a nuclear deal. Sounds like a big deal. Trump sounds indifferent.
Speaker 1: And one of the foremost diplomats in the world had to explain himself yesterday after calling Trump Daddy during a press conference. It was a bizarre and hilarious international incident, and now Usher is involved.
Speaker 2: Also this morning, Trump's twenty billion dollar lawsuit against CBS could get settled soon. That is, if Trump is willing to knock a few zeros off that twenty billion.
Speaker 3: And the clock is tigging.
Speaker 1: The Trump administration gives California a deadline to reverse its policy allowing transgender athletes to participate in girls' sports or face the Justice Department.
Speaker 2: And Chuck Schumer went from the Senate gym to the hospital yesterday. He returned to work later with a reminder for all of us and wedding on. Jeff Bezos and his fiance arrive in Venice. They were kind of hard to miss and a baseball fan heckled a major league player two tiers. That fan is now banned from all MLB stadiums, and the.
Speaker 1: Young instole the show at the NBA draft last night, including the number one overall pick, who will still be eighteen when he makes his NBA debut, And whether you prefer big spoon or little spoon.
Speaker 3: A new study proves there.
Speaker 1: Are health benefits to cuddling with your partner before falling asleep.
Speaker 2: Some of this I read it, and you were very excited about it. Some of it seemed common sense to me.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, physical touch is important, but.
Speaker 2: It almost seemed like it doesn't matter who's there that you need to cuddle something.
Speaker 3: Right to missy with your partner.
Speaker 1: Physical intimacy actually has mental health benefits.
Speaker 2: Boy, Okay, we'll go into that so much later. Here. We're going to begin this morning with President Trump saying the US will meet with Iran next week to discuss a nuclear agreement. But at the same time, the President sounded like he didn't care if they get a deal done or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's this thinking there's no urgency on a nuclear deal because we just blew up their nuclear program. The President made the announcement as he was leaving the NATO summit in the Hague, saying we may sign an agreement.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: To me, I don't think it's that necessary.
Speaker 2: He went on to say, we want to we want no nuclear, but we destroyed the nuclear. In other words, it's destroyed. I said, Aran will not have nuclear. Well, we blew it up. It's blown to Kingdom come. And so I don't feel very strongly about it. If we got a document, it wouldn't be bad.
Speaker 1: Only Trump could make me laugh at the word nuclear, because that's just not a funny word in it.
Speaker 3: Somehow he made it funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, so, look that we would normally say this is a huge, huge thing that the two sides are talking and a deal could get done, but he sounded kind of indifferent to the idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, flippant almost Yes.
Speaker 1: Next up on the Run, Well, the Defense Department plans to defend those B two bomber pilots who flew the mission to attack Iran's nuclear program this week, and also promised to back up administration claims that those strikes yes, in fact, obliterated.
Speaker 3: The Iran nuclear program, despite.
Speaker 1: Reporting of a leaked Pentagon assessment that suggested the attack only set the program back by a couple of months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, press conference with Secretary Pete hegseth its planned for this morning, and the President was promoting it, saying that the purpose of this press conference is to quote fight for the dignity of our great American pilots. These patriots were very upset after thirty six hours of dangerously flying through enemy territory, they landed. They knew the success was legendary, and then two days later they started reading fake news by CNN and the failing New York Times. They felt terribly. The President went on to say this news conference is going to prove both interesting and irrefutable, and then he ends it with enjoy with an exclamation point. So they are going to lay out and probably try to make a whole presentation showing proof that it was obliterated in some way.
Speaker 1: Okay, And as of this recording, this press conference is scheduled for eight am Eastern time, So that is going to be muscy television today.
Speaker 2: All right, We're going to continue on the run on this Thursday morning with a grown man called Trump Daddy. Yesterday and it damn near calls an international incident, and now the guy who called him daddy has had to publicly clarify his daddy comments.
Speaker 1: And to make things even more bizarre, Usher is involved.
Speaker 3: At this point, let us explain how this all came about.
Speaker 1: At the NATO summit yesterday, President Trump held during a press conference with the NATO Secretary General Mark Ruta.
Speaker 2: Yes, the President was having a press conference with this guy. A lot of people you might not know his name or his face with Mark Ruta is the guy at NATO who's in charge and trying to keep all these countries in line and keeping these conference stations going. So he's a hell of a diplomat. So he was talking with the President at this press conference, and in talking about the Iran Israel conflict, President Trump compared those two countries to two kids fighting on a playground. We talked about there here yesterday. Ruth jumped in and said, daddy has to sometimes use strong language to get them to stop. Does that make sense to you? Though he was making yes, he was continuing the metaphor with correct Okay, So that was what he said. But the daddy reference then made headlines with some outlets running with it, and it was characterized in some circles as going over the top and kissing the ring of Trump if you will.
Speaker 1: So Rutha spoke to reporters later to clarify his statements. He said this quote the daddy thing. I didn't call him daddy. What I said is that sometimes in Europe, I hear sometimes country saying, hey, Mark, will the US stay with us? And I said that sounds a little bit like a small child asking his daddy, Hey, are you still staying with the family. So in that sense, I use daddy, not that I was calling President Trump daddy.
Speaker 2: Should have just left it alone, right, should have just left it alone.
Speaker 3: Don't even confused me. First I did.
Speaker 2: I don't know. He's talking about Europe.
Speaker 3: This is what they do.
Speaker 2: But he's explaining something that I didn't think needed to be explained. Even It's okay, man, So that made it more confusing. But here we go now. Then Trump was asked about it later and fully embraced the term, saying quote, he did it very affectionately, daddy, You're my daddy. End quote. Now. Then the White House, but out of video on social media highlighting the president's time at the summit. It was a video of some of his highlights. I guess of their meeting with world leaders and under it to the soundtrack of Usher's twenty ten song Hey Daddy.
Speaker 3: I mean they just leaned into it, and the chorus.
Speaker 2: Of that song goes, Daddy's home.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. It just gets more bizarre every day.
Speaker 2: It should have been a nothing story. It was an offhand nothing comment that went correctly with the metaphor, and it became that.
Speaker 1: Because it's kind of my favorite story of the day, second only to the sleeve study about spooning.
Speaker 3: Yes, anyway, we'll get to that in just a bit.
Speaker 1: But next up on a run, Trump is being sued or sorry, Trump is suing CBS for twenty billion dollars, so.
Speaker 2: We know it is. You're used to saying Trump is being sued, right.
Speaker 1: So that's fair, But actually it's fair to say he sues just as much as he's being sued, so he go either way. I think he's got a lot of lawsuits out there. California, California, California. Then they've got Yeah, we'll get to that. Trump is suing CBS for twenty billion dollars, but he might have to knock a couple of zeros off that number. A mediator is suggesting the president take twenty million and call it a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is according to the Wall Street Journal, which is reporting that the President's team has been presented with the suggestion from the mediator working to get Trump and CBS to settle the dispute. The President sued the network, claiming election interference over how sixty minutes edited its interview with Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: Now, the Journal reports the plan would be for CBS to make a seventeen million dollar donation to the Trump Presidential Foundation or museum, as well as pay the legal fees and make public service announces to combat anti semitism. Trump previously rejected a fifteen million dollars settlement offer. He said he wanted at least twenty five and he wanted an apology.
Speaker 2: And the apology was the part of the problem with that settlement.
Speaker 3: Understandable.
Speaker 2: So continue on the run here to California, where the Trump administration has given that state a deadline. You got ten days to change your policy on allowing transgender student athletes to compete on sports teams that match with their identities. If they don't, California risks imminent enforcement action. They say that includes referral to the Justice Apartment for proceedings. This is all, of course, trying to keep transgender girls from competing on girls sports teams.
Speaker 1: That's right, and this all comes after California allowed a transgender girl to compete in the state's high school track championships. While trans athlete ab Hernandez placed first in the triple and high jump and came in second in the long jump, California tried to compromise with Trump's February executive order banning trans girls from participating in females sports by allowing an additional an additional female athlete to compete in each event Hernandez was competing it yes.
Speaker 2: So Hernandez essentially shared her medals alongside the next best female athlete. That compraide didn't satisfy the Trump administration. Education Secretary Linda McMahon said, Although Governor Newsome admitted months ago it was deeply unfair to allow men to compete in women's sports, both the California Department of Education and the CIF continued as recently as a few weeks ago to allow men to steal female athletes well deserved accolades and to subject them to the indignity of unfair and unsafe competition now.
Speaker 1: Newsome spokesperson responded by saying this it wouldn't be a day ending in why without the Trump administration threatening to defund California. Twenty nine states have laws that prohibit trends student athletes from participating in girls' sports. Five of them right now are temporarily blocked by lawsuits. So this is not going away. This debate is going to continue for some time.
Speaker 2: All right, continue our run now head back to DC. We need to check on Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. He spent a little time in the hospital yesterday. He was taken out of an abundance of caution, they say, after getting lightheaded while working out at the Senate gym.
Speaker 1: He was ultimately treated for dehydration. The Senator was back at work at the Capitol a short time later, and a spokesperson said the Senator wants to remind people to drink water and stay out of the heat. DC, of course, has been baking like the rest of us in the eastern part.
Speaker 3: Of the US. It's funny I actually ran on the treadmill in the heat or the heat of the heat. Does that make sense. The heat of the heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the hottest part of the day, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the gym.
Speaker 1: Even though it was their condition, I could still feel the heat and I felt overheated on the treadmill indoors just because of what was.
Speaker 2: Going on around my part of this. I gave him credit. He's seventy four years old. I heard he was in the Senate gym. That actually made me happy to hear, and glad he's okay, But glad he gave us all that reminder. They've been the same thing. High nineties and heat indecks over one hundred in DC. We'll stay with us here, folks on this Thursday morning run. When we come back, the wedding is on in Venice, well if they can avoid some of those protesters. Also coming up, a major League Baseball player in tears over what a fan said to him, and Robok's favorite story of the day, cuddling is good for your health. Next up on our Thursday Morning Run, we head to Italy. Looks like this is in fact wedding weekend for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and his fiance Lawrence Sanchez, because the happy couple has arrived in.
Speaker 3: Venice, how do we know.
Speaker 1: Well, they didn't exactly come quietly. They were spotted and waving to cameras as they were being shuttled to and from Venice by helicopter yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that helicopter took off from Venice and landed on his yacht just off the coast. That yacht was the support yacht that's there as a companion to his main yacht. The wedding is reportedly a three doar, three day, superstar studded event. At this point, we've been talking about it so much. I would really like for them to get married. Yes, just get it done.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I just want to. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a support yacht. I think that's the first time I've ever heard that phrase or term ever used. But of course it makes sense that it would be applicable to bezos, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Next up on a run.
Speaker 1: Major League Baseball has banned a fan from all Major League stadiums for heckling a player to tiers. This all played out earlier this week in Chicago. The White Sox were hosting the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: At All Star Second baseman for the Diamondbacks Coutell Marte was up to bat in the seventh inning when a fan was mercilessly heckling him. Now, the Arizona manager noticed during the seventh inning stretch that Marte was going back out on the field to play defense and he was in tears, so he went out to see what was going on and try to comfort player.
Speaker 1: So at that point he asked umpires that that fan be removed. And of course professional athletes are accustomed to opposing fans yelling all kinds of things at them, especially in baseball, So what could the fan have possibly been saying to him that upset.
Speaker 3: Him so much.
Speaker 2: The fan was heckling Marte about his dead mother, a woman who passed tragically and suddenly in a car accident back in twenty seventeen. Now, the White Sox, to their credit, made a gesture later with a social media post saying baseball is family. The White Sox community supports could tell Marte. This fan has been banned from all baseball, all of Major League Baseball, indefinitely for now. But there's a video out that the manager saw it happening, was screaming back at like yelling like his mom's dead. You encouraging the person out, like what is wrong with you? And so maybe the person was yelling something about yamma and they didn't know the guy's mom was dead, which is just even that it's too far. But I mean, I guess we have no bounds.
Speaker 1: I think it's disgusting when you hear about this. This is these are people playing professionally for your enjoyment, your entertainment, but they're human beings, and it's just disgusting that they We do a lot already, exactly exactly, and you're an adult, sir, act like one and more importantly, just act like a human being. So I think that was an I'm fully supporting the decision of Major League Baseball on that one.
Speaker 2: Video is tough to see this guy, his tears a running down his face on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh it breaks your heart. Breaks your heart all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on our run with the first pick in the NBA draft, the Dallas Mavericks surprised absolutely no one, TJ. You were talking about this all day yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just make it official. They've been talking about it, you know what, since he started bouncing the ball as a freshman. They've been talking about this, yes Duke freshman phenom Cooper Flag. It is the number one overall pick in the twenty twenty five draft, yes picked up by the Dallas Mavericks. He is now the sixth Duke player to ever go number one in the NBA Draft. Draft underway last night is going to go on for the next few days at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. But this is a he reclassified as a high school as high school kid they allow you to do. He went forward so that he's so young now, so he's eighteen now when he debuts. He will still be eighteen when he makes his NBA debut.
Speaker 1: You were even talking about the betting odds on this one. If you put down ten thousand dollars to say that Cooper Flag.
Speaker 3: Was going to go number one, you would win one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was an overwhelming favorite, and so we were like, well, if you had like millions to put down, yes, you could actually make a really safe bet.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of risk just in case Dallas changes their mind last second.
Speaker 1: I would never do it, all right, And for the final leg of our run, if you want to improve your mental health and if you would like to reduce your stress, have a good snuggle with your partner in bed.
Speaker 2: How many of y'all just rolled your eyes at the idea of how would go snuggle with your partner tonight?
Speaker 3: On a new study You're with the wrong partner?
Speaker 2: You know what? That's again, different episode of our podcast. A new study, as published this month, says that cuddling and promotes more secure attachment between partners and lowers stress levels. The study looked at the association between physical closeness before sleep and stress, attachment, insecurity, and sleep disturbance.
Speaker 1: The researchers considered a bunch of factors in this study, including your daytime sleepiness, income, age, relationship length, and what they found was, even when couples are having trouble connecting emotionally during the day, when they went to sleep in a physically closer position, they had lower couple insecure attachment issues and overall lower stress levels.
Speaker 2: Now, researchers did not find any significant connection between cuddling and improved sleep quality. However, that kind of makes sense to bottom line, The study concluded that snuggling in bed may be a promising and amenable avenue for improving relational and physiological well being.
Speaker 1: It's hard though, if you're not, if you're feeling disconnected, But it's true, like it's you know, I'm not saying you're in an all out fight, but if you just feel a little bit dist or you haven't been feeling connected to your partner, if you just snuggle at night, it's a game changer.
Speaker 2: Physical touch works, just holding hands, something that simple, a little gesture does. So, yes, this does make sense. I was giving you a hard time earlier, but this this works.
Speaker 3: You like big spoon or little spoon.
Speaker 2: Spooning. I don't know, it depends on what I was about to say. Something just gross.
Speaker 1: I think you're usually big spoon and I'm little spoon.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, that's always the.
Speaker 1: Way it goes, Okay, Yes, and even if it isn't, that's what we're going with. All right, As you go about your day on this Thursday, we would like to get you to consider this.
Speaker 3: This is our quote of the day.
Speaker 2: Success isn't owned, it's least and rent is due every day. Thank you for that, mister J. J. Watt professional football play. I've retired now, but that makes very sense, very much sense. It's like somebody always on your heels. You can never rest on your success of yesterday.
Speaker 3: I felt like this to you because this is kind of your mantra.
Speaker 1: I'll be like, whoo, look what we did or we got here or we met this you know, threshold that we were trying to get to, and you're like, what's the next one?
Speaker 3: What's the next one?
Speaker 1: And so you know, I like to hike, and so I kind of make a mountain analogy. It's like, you get to the top, but then where are you going from here? You know, you might have to go down, but you got to get back up on another one.
Speaker 3: So I like this.
Speaker 1: Idea of motivating folks to say, hey, you got to keep working and success comes only through hard work. It doesn't come through just complacency or saying oh did that now I can chill.
Speaker 3: Hey you got to keep on trucking. So yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: JJ Watt's success isn't own, it's least and rent is due every day. So hope that gets your day started with a big motivational punch, right, all right, thanks for running with us everyone. I'm Amy Robick. I might be a little punchy because it's Friday Eve, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and I'm TJ Holk, So I remember you can be closing arguments today in the trial are happening today, so we'll be back on with you a little later. We've been doing our updates. You've been listening to those we know, so we appreciate that. But we will be giving you a couple of ditty updates, so look for some later episodes. Today we'll talk to Elso