Speaker 1: Well, the Texans finished their Friday night with a bang. They get USC defensive back USC cornerback Jalen Smith. Jalen First things first, congratulations. Looked like you were having a fun time. They're celebrating and you were celebrating with the guy who's a former teammate and who's now a teammate again and Kaylen Bullock.
Speaker 2: Weren't you, Yes, sir, Yes, sir man. It was a great time, man, great experience.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you can always remember man for the rest of your life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In addition to him being there, who else was there with you for the big moment?
Speaker 3: So you know, I have friends and family. You know, my my DC caame coach Lynn, my defensive backs.
Speaker 2: Coach, coach Bell.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of people, man, coach a ce row Chris Rowland, he's now plays for the for the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Uh So, A couple a couple of guys showed their face. Man, it was great, man. A couple of my teammates, Man, it was just great to see their faces.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Sure, well, a happy evening, indeed, And it's come to fruition because you're a pretty darn good football player. For those who might not have seen you play much in college. Who are you? What type of player are you?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I'm a super versative player. Can play at any position at a very high level.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Can can fit in the run, Uh can play, can play excellent man coverage. Uh.
Speaker 3: And I can can also you know, do a lot of those special teams and just be a lot of energy shifter, a great player, a selfless player, a team a team first player.
Speaker 2: But ultimately man, just getting the competitor all in one.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of times that we do these interviews right after a draft, the pick says, well I can do anything, and and yeah he can sometimes, but you actually walk the walk. I mean you've played cornerback, You've played both safety spots, You've played nickel corner. I mean, I think you probably could sell hot dogs, build houses, do everything. You're a very versatile guy. So with all that in mind, how exciting is it to join a defense like the one that Texans have. I know Bullock has told you a lot about it. I'm sure you've seen a little bit of it over the years. So he's been here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, they get after it. No, you just watch the film, you know. Being a football addict like me, Man, I just like to watch.
Speaker 3: Film and you know they do a great job of playing together. You know with with Derek and Kamari, Jalen, peatree cjg all those guys. Man, they come together for real and uh, I just think, man, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: And a lot of energy in the back end for sure. Just can't wait to get out there and you know, build that broad in that brotherhood for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you bring up that energy and it's driven in large part because of the head coach, Tamiko Ryans. He's a former defensive player, former star here starred Alabama. What are your interactions with him been like? And what do you think of Demiko Ryans?
Speaker 3: Nothing with great vibes and you know my first time beating in the move is nothing with great vibes. You can tell how genuine he is as a person. And when you have a conversation with the former player, it's nothing but love. Just understand they have a different sense for the game.
Speaker 1: It's you.
Speaker 2: That's just how you have it. Same view, same clear out of view. So just talking to him was just great. Man. He's he's super energetic and.
Speaker 3: You can tell he loves the game of football, you know, being a Bama guy, coming from Bambua and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It was it was just great. Man. You can tell he has that great and that in that in that hunger, you know, the win. So it's just great to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: All right. So what's next for you? Ah?
Speaker 2: So right now, man, we're just gonna hang with the family. Man. Just enjoy it, enjoy this time, enjoy this experience. You know, I got my little brothers.
Speaker 3: My twin sister just had her baby, like a couple of days ago, and she made the trip.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna hang with her and just enjoy this family man, enjoy my time.
Speaker 1: Did you say your twin sister.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yes, I have a twin sister. I'm older by two minutes. I always have to put that on.
Speaker 2: Your baby a. I like that. Okay. So I got a nephew, a little nephew as well, my nephew Jace. So I want to welcome him. You know, it's a special week.
Speaker 3: And just excited and excited man, ultimately, just excited to be a Texan man.
Speaker 1: It is tough to top that. You got a nephew, you got a new home for your job. That's exciting stuff. Jalen Smith, We're really happy that you're in Houston, Texan. We can't wait to see you here in town. Go celebrate, live it up, and come see us soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, sir must.
Speaker 3: Definitely man appreciate y'all. Man, hey, man, Houston got a problem.