Speaker 1: What's up every guys.
Speaker 2: Before we start this episode, we have a really exciting thing coming up on our Patreon. I recently lost a bet and had to write a musical in an entire day, and that musical happened to have to be about Lemon to Lemon, the guy who introduced Vanilla to Hollywood, a Jeremy character from the two hundred person panel. And now we're gonna read it live.
Speaker 3: We got Miles bon signor Paul F. Tompkins and way too many other people helping us out do the live reading on August twenty third, Sunday at three pm Pacific time.
Speaker 4: It is a live stream event, so get your tickets on the Patreon ten dollars tier.
Speaker 5: Head to the Patreon. It's gonna be so much fun. We hope to see you guys there.
Speaker 4: We don't know what it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: We're so excited.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 6: Enjoy the episode.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Artists on Artists on Artists on Artists. This week it's NPR hosts.
Speaker 1: INPR or National Public Radio.
Speaker 2: Is this the pre eminent sound that blast the airwaves usually in an FM station.
Speaker 1: Between eighty nine and ninety.
Speaker 2: NPR has all sorts of offerings from interviews to tiny desk concerts to current and breaking news. It's the place to go for nice conversation and liberal points of view.
Speaker 4: Today, we gathered around some of our favorite NPR hosts, producers, and journalists to talk process and what it's like to work at NPR.
Speaker 3: So sit back, enjoy the news in the most wonderful relaxing way and listening.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I actually got one of the free tote bags they had available in the conference room, and I have to confess the toad is a little bigger than my average tote bag, so I find myself carrying a whole secondary clause it with me to work. Occasionally. I think it's they're quite dandy. Did you get one?
Speaker 6: I certainly did get.
Speaker 4: Have you brought it to the farmer's market?
Speaker 5: You know, I have brought it to the farmers market and you get.
Speaker 4: One more avocado than normal?
Speaker 5: You know, it definitely made me a little bit freer with the spending, probably, to be honest.
Speaker 6: More some room for the more the more robust charred. It's probably not even poking out of the top.
Speaker 4: Maybe you could even have a crazy one and get the mango chutney.
Speaker 5: Oh there could have been room for that. I I must confess there's a little bit of charred stuck at the bottom of the bag still. So I went this Sunday to atwater.
Speaker 6: It's going to wilts. That's going to wils.
Speaker 3: You've got to take that chart out and get into the fridge, or maybe clean it up with some water, I would.
Speaker 4: Say, baking soda.
Speaker 3: I just read a really interesting article that's a chart is actually more acidic than we think it is. Say, really, yeah, we understand most vegetables are base, but charred is one of the acidic ones.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll definitely be thinking twice the next time I put it in my minestroni.
Speaker 6: Interesting thing.
Speaker 4: I love a minnestroni.
Speaker 3: Nothing more better than you know. It reminds me of when Grandma used to make ministroni when I was young. She had a very specific recipe. She's a Russian Lithuanian moved and migrated here my parents did, and so she followed them. And you know, she still takes the country Lithuania. Every time I saw her, I always was wondering, what is this about her? And I recently took a trip to Lithuanian and I realized so much of my life was Lithuanian because my grandma.
Speaker 6: Wow, your grandma's Lithuanian Minnestronian.
Speaker 4: I think what's so funny about our culture is that sometimes you'll be sipping on a bowl of minestrone, and in a way, that's a bowl of your culture you're sipping in history.
Speaker 6: I have read this recent book about the Minestroni index.
Speaker 4: I love the Minestronian decks.
Speaker 6: It's fantastic look at cultures and diasporas and the way that you can judge a culture based on its minestronian and they found in many ways the ingredients that make up the minestrone reflect reflect the culture itself, and the more ingredients in a minnestrone, the more diverse a culture too.
Speaker 5: Well, in a way, I think that that cooking is sort of it's almost like I like to say, a font if you if you'll allow this metaphor, because a font is the same word but typed a slightly different way. And I think with minnestroni, we all bring a little piece of ourselves to the table. So you know, I enjoyed that book very much.
Speaker 4: With the minestroni it did make me think of a recent purchase I just made from an independent bookstore in the back of an alley in London, and it's the soup Tarot Cards soup and the five of Us believe it or not, is a cup of ministry.
Speaker 3: Well, I just love it because I recently read a small excerpt in a web magazine I follow called New York New York It's beautiful kind of Indie, and it was talking about the history of tarot cards and how so much medieval culture is actually insinuated in the tarot card. And as much as we try to move into a more Roman Catholic understanding of the world, and now moving past Roman Catholic into Agnosticism, we still have Druidic, Celtic, Anglo Saxon type of ties.
Speaker 6: That's very interesting to me because I actually just interviewed LATINX graffiti artists who just released her own tarot cards. Her name is Maya Fica. She's amazing Los Angeles and she's making this incredible set of tarot cards that reflects her cult.
Speaker 5: Sure, it's very interesting. I was actually speaking to a I interviewed for a profile on the Streets of Las Vegas, a non binary magician who is using tarot. As you know, magicians kind of have always taken just the standard deck of playing cards as the titular pick a card. But this artist kind of challenges the notion of that and says, what if we picked a tarot card, What if we challenged the audience members to remember a card from a different time difference?
Speaker 3: Well, you said your.
Speaker 6: Card, is this your future?
Speaker 3: That's beautiful?
Speaker 4: You said challenge And that made me think of yesterday. I had a jasmine tea bag. Looked at the tea bag and on on the tag of it it said challenge yourself today. And I think it's funny you brought up the sense and the idea of being challenged within a deck of cards, because like we talk about culture, and we talk about talking to our ancestors, and how much of that is a challenge and how much of that is a tea back?
Speaker 5: Well, you mentioned ancestor. Well, I I was recently in an ancestral ballpit. Have you been to an ancestral.
Speaker 4: Ball Interesting they have the.
Speaker 6: Hancock bark.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's an ancestral ballpin, and it's sort of like uh imagining it's it's done by a former employee of the former designer of the McDonald's play Pet.
Speaker 3: Place and Story.
Speaker 6: Have you read that book about him?
Speaker 4: It's an incredible really, I mean powerful incredible.
Speaker 5: The opioid crisis has affected America in many ways and in funky ways and in funky ways, and ballpit designers are are not immune to that. And yeah, they found themselves struck struck between the the jovial nature of the ballpit and his ancestral ties to opioids.
Speaker 3: And that is so interesting for me because I just recently interviewed. Yesterday, I was interviewing Sukioheda, who is a wonderful Japanese artist, a dear friend, and focused on joy and Suki Waterhouse, we kind of had this wonderful debate discussion about is joy appropriative or appreciative? If we're if we celebrate joy in the Japanese classical sense of the word, are we being appropriative with Japanese culture or are we appreciating Japanese culture by ensuing and taking in joy?
Speaker 4: Have you all ever had an authentic Japanese tea bag?
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, yes.
Speaker 4: It makes you think how many things are we repurposing as Americans, even down to the water drop.
Speaker 6: I mean incredible visual artist by the name of Chess Redcorn. And he is, of course an indigit artist, and he's a fantastic mas and he is making a lot of incredible visual art, found object art, you know. And he's repurposing those Native Americans that used to see outside of cigar stores. He's building them out of fast food containers.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I just read a book on the origins. Do you guys remember ten years ago when la was littered with those angel statues?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I read a book on a woman who made it her mission to visit each and while she made it her mission, she's very friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Really during that journey, Yes, her name is Bethany. Bethany, during that journey she lost her mother. So the book is this beautiful coffee table book and it's pictures of each of the angels, and halfway through it's a beautiful rest and reflection on loss. And then she goes right back into the angel statues. And I find that someone makes a piece of art and something happens to them in their life in the middle of making a piece of art. I find that rich.
Speaker 5: Text the context of an art really change, Yes, it changes the meaning of the art. And it's interesting. I was talking to this painter who has been painting old toilet paper squares and they have been recontextualizing this toilet paper square.
Speaker 4: To American American toilet paper.
Speaker 5: Yes, but appellation got deep, deep appellation. I expected a deep appalation artist who has these toilet paper squares and they have been insulating their home with them. Now, because it is not just the paintings that we paint for aesthetics, right, is also the paintings we paint to re contextualize our home.
Speaker 6: We talk about the home. You know, you guys, guys read Roxanne's Roxanne Gay's new book about Home.
Speaker 3: Yes, and of course I've read a few excerpts and I haven't dived in fully.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful book.
Speaker 6: I mean the concept of home, what is it? And what are we? And where are we when we are home? And how home can feel so alien to so many people.
Speaker 3: I actually, you know that's so beautiful because the Mocha is doing a beautiful exhibit on the African diaspora. Are you curious? Oh, you curated that amazing.
Speaker 5: But you that's interesting that you claimed that you curated it.
Speaker 3: Because well, I talk about that. I read a Facebook post the other day about how sometimes friendship can be stronger than what you do in the new world. In internet world, sometimes you can feel the brain feels that you've done something even when you're seeing a friend do it online. The same type of endorphins your brain will release it.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's a Siberian Siberian psychologist who talks about a yogo o no yes, oh yeah, and they yeah, yoko no. And they talk about the the the value and the importance of weak ties. Right, the weak ties. The male man that you say hi to, the grosser that you say hi to, the the woman pushing her cart around at the same time that you are pushing your baby. It's these structures that sort of create the fabric of human existence and create the fabric of connections.
Speaker 6: You know, I just feel like I've been attacked right where you guys were talking that I claimed credit.
Speaker 4: You said that you had curated it. I just and then it was your friend.
Speaker 6: I just, please don't scream at me. I was, you know, simply enacting something that people have been calling cyber osmosis. And cyber osmosis is the act of absorbing something from the internet into your own psyche, because what's happening is we used to be output, output out, but now the Internet has shifted to be input.
Speaker 4: Input input, So oh, that's fascinating.
Speaker 6: It happens. It's a natural, reoccurring, reoccurring phenomenon, and many people are saying it's an evolutionary trait. So if I were to steal something from the Internet, some scientists are saying, that is your body evolving to the current state of what's going on.
Speaker 4: Well, I've heard of you seen these gen zs that are doing a whole deep dive on what used to be the ice Bucket Challenge and the way that their site, what was the word cyber moosis cyber asthmosis in it, And I think that's fascinating because it reminds me. I drop off my daughter every Saturday morning at an African drum circle congratulations, and it's that has been so interesting to see my daughter experience creativity, not cyberly, yeah, and not through an algorithm for her to go see a drum circle. And the way she said, Mama, mama, we passed the sound around and I went, how far off is that from passing with the algorithms sound that's so and passed around you.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm sure you may be aware of this. This this physical theater piece that is taking place outside of Squirrel Cafe and Virtual Village, and they take they're trying to bring people from the digital space into the physical space who may not otherwise have access to the physical space, and so they are doing meme theater. So they are re enacting sort of Damn Daniel, bad news Greg or bad luck Brian per Se. I should say bad luck Brian. Bad news Greg is what I call my husband sometimes when he has terrible news. He has a lot of bad news. He's he's an environmental scientist and that.
Speaker 4: Must just be every day bad newsist Greg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's a he's an environmental scientist and a huge pessimist. So sometimes it's hard to filter out what is coming from science and what is sort of his negative outlook.
Speaker 6: On life pessimist. You don't know why I got.
Speaker 5: They got didn't know, No, you don't know which started pessimist or did they get into you know, it's sometimes I I feel that the siren call of the environmental science was was allure to his pessimism.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is so funny. It's like it reminds me of my husband, who is a big, big he loves commitment, loves pattern yet he's a substitute teacher. He doesn't have a place to go to bed worless and you go, how did that happen? The the natural contradictions that come with our human being and our soul and the job we attach.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's very similar. You know. I went into a plant based butcher shop the other day and they were drinking out of styrofoam cups, and it was an interesting dichotomy because it was we are preserving the environmental because of me. You know, we're not meat. I'm cutting you.
Speaker 5: This is that is that, this is this is faux hogis and fair fact. I love their sixty day age Tofu that they hang in the bash of the store and if you get it cut off in the beginning of the day, they'll give you a piece that is just right.
Speaker 3: Off the sham. Is delicious.
Speaker 4: Oh. I went to the Fogies Fogies they had that event for the Boys and Girls Club Fogeys and Bogies and it was that golf day and I thought that was incredible, and I thought we got to see a lot of kids play golf and get something I don't see.
Speaker 6: I remember seeing a kid make an eagle and then bite into a gigantic tofu hogy and I thought, this is the future I want to see.
Speaker 4: Like that's that's that's impressive.
Speaker 6: Your privileged youth golfing and eating play it based meat.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Have you guys been to the the pottery class that is remote and you have to find it class.
Speaker 3: Bringing a whole new meaning to their word to remote.
Speaker 6: It's called throw away right and.
Speaker 4: Throwing when I've seen kids now start to do this, and it's fun to see the youth experience art that doesn't have a place.
Speaker 6: It's very exciting to see that.
Speaker 5: It's interesting how hide and Seek can can play a role in the things that we do every day.
Speaker 3: Hide and Seek, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Have you guys read that xpoze you I mean a good friend of ours who works with us. Oh, of course we all know them, Derek.
Speaker 6: Blossom when he went undercover as a kitchen.
Speaker 4: Kidd and seek game and that that that is an incredible.
Speaker 5: And if you haven't read Derek Blossom's work, I encourage you to check it out. It's really quite quite remarkable. He found a way to be found in seven hundred different children's Hide and Seek games, and he found sort of as an anthropological study, the way that human scientists will enmesh themselves in the social dynamics of apes. He did the same thing with child's birthday parties all across the country.
Speaker 4: There's no talent like blossom and.
Speaker 6: Hide and seekrets so many the children. I don't know, if you guys.
Speaker 4: Have read the Yeah I have Modern.
Speaker 6: Then you know Modern philos for Shill God Yes book about how directly attaching Hide and Seek to different types of attachment. Right, So, so if you were the seeker obviously anxious attached, if you were the hyder avoiding attached so brilliant, and if you played both and then namely sat on the side to let other people play that secure attachment. So instead of asking when you're on these dates, you know, and we haven't even gotten into dating.
Speaker 4: We haven't even gotten into I can't, we haven't.
Speaker 1: We can't believe.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with more MPR. But right now, here's a couple of our upcoming shows that you'll be seeing this week on NPR.
Speaker 5: Tune in for five minutes of Science. That is a bite sized piece of information on the newest and Little Moon Science News.
Speaker 3: Hi. I'm Jeff, I'm Pill and we're motorcycle boys. We'll be talking all things motorcycles for four hours. You call them with any of your questions and we will help you out. But make sure that thing goes room room at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: I'm Derek Single.
Speaker 2: I'm coming to you live from a theater in Minnesota playing everyone's main room news talk show.
Speaker 1: You better say that again. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred people are inexplicably in a theater to watch us do a game show about you.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Calm down, It's okay, guys, let's try something. Pete heck seth and that's the joke.
Speaker 4: I'm Cycle so Sorrow and I'm the host of the Nightly. What happened today? Are you too busy at work? The Nightly's gonna tell you whose birthday was to and what happened in the world.
Speaker 3: I'm Carl Saint Clair on News Today. We've got Trump has decided to blow up all of America and other news. I ran deals have fallen apart, and the Chinese government has decided to completely cut ties with all of the Middle East. This could be catastrophic for you, your family and your war. But we will say it a very calm mode. That's news tonight with Carl.
Speaker 1: And I'm Regina Martini and I'm trying every pancake in Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 3: Look back with more power.
Speaker 4: Those we have some great shows later.
Speaker 3: That's amazing because I read a very interesting piece about Saint Louis recently. How recently in the eighties it was the the thriving bell of the ball of the United States in the south southern United States. But now due to the shifting film, film and food markets, Saint Louis has become kind of it's had its own dust ball. It's completely empty.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: Read that humorous essay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I've seen it too.
Speaker 6: Ava Luisa Garda Farica. It's it's it's very very hysterical. It is well, it's sesus brilliant it is. It's a satirical, humorous essay from the point of view of the Saint Louis arch going through one hundred years of history.
Speaker 5: Now I must explain I'm sorry to jump on your toes. She is not literally purporting to be the Saint Louis Art. He is, of course, assuming a character humors take humorous send up of the Saint Louis Arch. She is not literally claiming to be the Saint Louis Arch, because there's no way that for that to literally happen. So I just want to make sure that everyone knows not a crazy town.
Speaker 6: But I do want to say I think I've been seeing a lot of stuff about this. Humorous send ups are the last form of resistance we have.
Speaker 4: I've seen this too. You're getting a phone call. I've seen this because I mean, look at the modern day birthday party.
Speaker 3: I need you say more? Need you say more.
Speaker 6: Interesting? Do you disagree?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, at looking at it, I guess where I come from and some of my Lithuanian heritage, I would say the modern birthday party is actually pseudo related to the modern death of cinema in a way that we are trying to find third spaces. That then, and let me finish, we have we are trying to desperately find third spaces, desperately, desperately, desperately trying to connect with each other. The fact that now the modern birthday is not as much happy birthday as it is happy day that you're born, if that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Well, there's actually a culture in northwestern south to New Mexico and it's a community of people. It's an unincorporated area called Dustville, and they actually celebrate the opposite of a birthday. So whatever day is the least like your birthday in the calendar and that interest.
Speaker 4: To celebrates, how do they decide that.
Speaker 5: That's well, they decide sort of. So obviously a half birthday is six months past your birthday, of course, but an opposite of a birthday is the most opposite to the vibe of your birthday. So say what's your birthday?
Speaker 3: I guess April twenty second.
Speaker 5: April twenty second, so of course we were getting some spring tones in there.
Speaker 4: And twenty two April winter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the opposite of an April is is November.
Speaker 4: And and what's the opposite of budget twenty two?
Speaker 5: So that's eleventh. So your your opposite birthday if you were a resident of dust Bill, which I don't think you are. I don't think that that's where your driver's license is registered, is it would be November eleventh, So that's when they would celebrate us.
Speaker 6: I mean that is basically about six months Ala.
Speaker 4: And I'd say that I think it's it's not it's not really.
Speaker 5: It's sort of but it's steeped in culture.
Speaker 4: You know, birthdays are such a funny thing. I am a Last month I went to the Los Angeles LGBTQ Science and Library Center.
Speaker 6: Congratulations.
Speaker 4: They have a wonderful program where you can celebrate your coming out birthday and you can basically create your own new version of a birthday. And that just reminded me what you said about birthdays and what he said about birthday. This is fascinating that that came up right. Yes, and I highly recommend you guys getting memberships to the Los Angeles LGBTQ plus Science and Library Center. Can I ask what programming they have? I mean, it is an incredible facility. The library itself is just all queer artists, queer authors, which is beautiful to see. But the Science Center is full of silly PuTTY's in fun thing and it's a very fun thing that I went to and I saw Norah jonesing there.
Speaker 6: Awesome. Remember, you know it's funny. I just read from one of our pop culture correspondents for NPR, and those guys are so much fun. They're always always playing Olivia Rodrigo.
Speaker 5: Off the wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hilarious.
Speaker 6: I did not know that Silly Putty is is as the queer culture is calling it, the new Mother. There's these reports coming out that Silly has become and Silly Putty is kind of, uh, you know, anthropologically, it's been hard to understand why queer people are responding to Silly Puddy in the way they are, but it's massive. They're putting it on floats, they're doing well.
Speaker 5: Actually, there's a young artist in high school who.
Speaker 4: Uh, what's her name? I bet I know them, of course, my daughter is x y x y x y axis y as x y axss.
Speaker 5: They have put out a series of humorous videos on TikTok that that describe Silly Putty as mother, likely due to the fluid nature of sexuality itself, and they're drawing upon it as sort of a you know, many materials in our world are solid and they're one way, but Silly Putty can be many ways, and that is something that the youth are really latching on.
Speaker 3: So interesting, and it's something that actually doctor Doctor, Doctor, Doctor, Doctor Fantasia.
Speaker 4: She touched on Doctor Fantasia. I go to I have dinner with Doctra. I want to say once.
Speaker 3: I've been such a big fan of her work. I mean, she's her book from Mother Goose to Mother Gaga, Finding the Virgin Mary and Gay Art. It's a beautiful, uh work of fiction. You would think it's non fiction, but it actually is. It's historical fiction.
Speaker 6: She every reimagines Mother Goose is a queer icon in order to fit her in with Lady Gaga exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's it was extremely powerful and it gets at the core of I think what makes people tick, which is what are we searching for? And how are we each filling our void? Yeah, and it really just got me going and ticking.
Speaker 4: There's an operetto called Filling the Void that I will high I highly recommend.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've seen I've seen this streaming. Is this operetto based on a popsicle joke?
Speaker 6: It's an operetta based on a obstical stake.
Speaker 3: What was the original popsicle stick joke that it's based on.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it was. It was something about it was double sided of the particle. Because I saw side, I saw it. The love what it's based off?
Speaker 5: It said, what what? What?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: Does a cow say when the other one is being really funny?
Speaker 4: And then it said move move m.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't understand. I would understand any bake a base of whole operetto.
Speaker 4: But the operetto is incredible.
Speaker 5: The operettos i've I've.
Speaker 4: Heard it reminded me of the first time I saw I Instant on the Beach. I remember like standing up in the middle of one of the intermissions. There's many intermissions. I stood up and I went, this was made for me, and I'd say, like just working with you guys, I feel like there are a lot of specific pieces that come into our orbit that aren't made. It meant for me and I and I embraced them with the full heart. I tried to watch Shark Boy and Lava Girl recently with my daughter, and I went, that's not made for me and something that made for me?
Speaker 5: Now, why why?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 5: Why? I'm curious about this. Why do you feel that Shark Boy and Lava Girl was not made for you? Is it a loss of adolescence?
Speaker 4: Is it a loss of whimsy?
Speaker 6: For me? The Shark Boy Lava Girl is about the diaspora. I've always seen it as that you always have the American diaspora and in many ways, you know this cast system that we find ourselves.
Speaker 4: In, I mean even the East and the West.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Shark Boy girl, And I'm just so interested in that. I mean, you bring up the American cast system. What you know, what is that for you?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean to to to zoom out for a moment. We find ourselves on the precipice of an AI change of AI coming in and Shark Boy and lave A Girl in this sense is sort of a challenge to that system. It's sort of taking it's the last stand of something truly human before our new digital age.
Speaker 3: This is good.
Speaker 4: We haven't talked about a yet and then we're going to get into talking about updating, but I'd love to talk about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, you couldn't replicate what we do with AI in any way.
Speaker 7: Now, there's just simply I mean to talk about the effects of AI on specific cinema and movie is doctor Lanky Dink.
Speaker 3: They are out of cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Their professor of Film Studies and Cinema for the history. Professor Dink, You're on the air.
Speaker 4: Hello, how are you hi?
Speaker 3: So you actually just published a paper research paper about the recent trend of Hollywood trying to integrate AI into a system. How do you think this affects the study of film and moving forward? Where do you see, uh, you know, the business of Hollywood going.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. I just want to say I'm a long time listener for the show, and listen. I live in libraries, I live in I am always studying that. Thank you, dink and.
Speaker 3: What sorry, we're just a bad connection. It seems like you're calling from a zoom or something like that. A horrible connection on. Just try to talk a little clearer thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry about that anyway. I have been studying the roots of I've been studying the roots of AI in cinema, and I have found a way to prove that if AI were to create movies, it would never have things like Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 6: That's a very good point, huh.
Speaker 3: I interested. I've read a reason it is my zoom working and we've lost you. Thank you so much for.
Speaker 4: Hello, you so much for hello. Am I still on the air.
Speaker 3: You're off, You're off? Thank you cut her out, cut up, and thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Can I get my sister, and I think that I think the zoom cut. I think I think the zoom cep. I'm still in the air deep deep, I think.
Speaker 5: That seems they're still on the air.
Speaker 6: You know, I read a report recently where an.
Speaker 4: Artist it must be off by now it's off.
Speaker 6: I would report recently, we're an artist described Marion mon Moroe to five hundred different AI models and none of them, none of them correctly, none of them correctly drew than Roe.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got a question. Was it because the computers don't understand her? Or were the descriptions bad? Because I feel if you sent a photo of Marilyn Monroe to a I would figure it out immediately.
Speaker 6: This is what the author purports. The author her name is Vivica Jeanne.
Speaker 4: I love she's Vivica and I get a Panini wants to get.
Speaker 3: Where do you get your Paninis.
Speaker 8: Lap Delicious? I?
Speaker 6: I yeah, Vivia. Vivica wrote an incredible book about this. You can find it. I'm only on the Libby app, which is a free library app app.
Speaker 5: It's a fantastic Yes, I have it.
Speaker 4: I'm walking the marathon for that.
Speaker 6: It's a Libby exclusive because she just cares about library systems, and it's note.
Speaker 5: Have you have seen the Libby the Straight two series? Libby is doing originals. We can talk about that later. We can talk about that later. What were you? What were you going to say about this?
Speaker 6: What you just I really I urge you to read the book because I think she describes Marilyn Monroe, sometimes perfectly to a t. Sometimes she goes for emotions and vibes and what comes out is something similar to a crap.
Speaker 5: Well, this is It's It's interesting because it's very difficult to describe a what beauty is to a machine. It can sort of replicate it, but it's very difficult. And I know that there's a group of scientists in Southwest Florida that are working in a lab right now reading pictionary clues to AI, trying to see if the AI will draw what they're saying.
Speaker 3: Really interesting because that's not how pictionary works.
Speaker 5: Scientists seem to believe that's how it does.
Speaker 6: I mean, I saw a scathing cartoon recently that was too.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know what you're about to say.
Speaker 6: Of course you do. Two process servers sitting on a beach looking at the sunset, and one said to the other. That's a lot of ones and zeros, And I think that just says Josin drew that Kostin. Oh yeah, yeah, I know, Jostin.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for listening in. We'll be right back right now. You're going to see a sneak peak of all the free NPR events coming to your neighborhood soon. Let's check it out.
Speaker 5: Calling all mothers, fathers, cousins, and sisters. This is Stories from the Family Tree, a live storytelling event where people tell stories about their family, by their family and for their families. It's an event for the whole family. Come on out, Come on out to the Queen Mary.
Speaker 3: In Long Beach.
Speaker 4: It's Women's History months, so we are celebrating with a Lama's Class drive through. It's gonna be every Saturday morning at ten am. Line up your cars, no matter the gender you identify with, we are gonna have Lamas in the car.
Speaker 6: What if Clueless was a little different?
Speaker 2: Join us for a second read a very exciting table read series we'll be doing to test on the Santa Monica fear.
Speaker 6: This week. Clueless featuring Lupitza Njongo and Yahya Abdul Mati.
Speaker 3: It's before the tide rolls in. We have your favorite indie artists performing on Malibu Beach before the tide rolls in. The show will start when the tide is lowest and end when the tide is highest. We've got Mumford and Sons lead guitarist and Geese coming to you live before the tide rolls in.
Speaker 5: Coming down to the Warehouse Center in Pasadena, we will be doing first draft laughs. We have ten stand up comedians, ten rusty old typewriters, and let's just say no limits.
Speaker 4: Come on down to Saint Jude's Hospital. We're doing haikups for hospice. That's right, every member of a hospice center gets a free hi haikup from a kid.
Speaker 3: And coming up. Please check out our Tiny Desk concert series happening over on our YouTube page this month. We have Tame and Paula doing an indie set with no computers.
Speaker 5: We also have Tate McRae doing a Tiny Desk as well, and she will be doing that.
Speaker 6: And going on down in Los Angeles to the United Theater where Alan Cumming and John Hodgman will be hosting a riveting debate where they'll be talking about the difference between tributaries and damns pleasure.
Speaker 1: You don't know what a tributary is.
Speaker 2: I actually think I have a good, damn well good idea about it.
Speaker 5: N Yeah, and join us next week for Scary Stories to Tell at the Park in Griffith Park. We will be having an alternating story series between Jordan Peele and Frandly Bwitz. They will be telling the scariest stories they could think.
Speaker 4: Of, hosted by Jimmy Fallon. We have Tiny, Tiny, Tiny Desk concert for kids. We have some fun symbols. We're going to smack together and it's going to be all at the Science Center in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Please join our food correspondent, Regina Veranda, who's eating every pancake in Saint Louis. She has a plus one to every single restaurant, and.
Speaker 3: Sit down with our conversations at the fireside table. We go to fireside stakes and sit down with Yo Yo Ma to discuss the effects of cello on Minecraft.
Speaker 4: Who's this at the Laugh Factory. It's Sarah Kanig. She's trying stand up tonight at eleven pm.
Speaker 5: Now, then after that, join us for cooking up Trouble. This is Johnny Knoxville making a soup with items you might not expect to go in there.
Speaker 6: And if you happen to be in Portland, mo Roca is going to be performing bey Wolf in its entirety right at the edge of the forest.
Speaker 4: If you're in u Gene Organ, Billy Joel is reading to blind kids and.
Speaker 3: Get ready, you know it, you love it. It's the live show traveling around Man. It's Rural Rugged House, hosted by of course you dink Tom Tom.
Speaker 4: God, we look so hot, Jeremy. Do you think there's a reason why I.
Speaker 3: Can't figure it out? Maybe I have one idea though. It's March.
Speaker 4: Get our exclusive aaa. Wait wait oh Winter Beanie.
Speaker 3: Get our exclusive sweatshirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We also have hats and tots, so.
Speaker 4: Much fun stuff.
Speaker 1: We sell merch. It's real, all of it. Go buy it.
Speaker 4: We'll put the link in the Bible right now.
Speaker 1: I love my life.
Speaker 3: But on the on my rural House, there's a lot of funny things that happen. Check that out. It'll come to a two hundred seat theater near you.
Speaker 5: And if you're in Austin, uh, we have Uzo Aduba is teaching an ethical fist fighting class at a piano bar in South Austin. So come on by to Star Bar where you can learn some self defense.
Speaker 4: If you are celebrating Christmas. This year, we have Ira Glass breaking down every single Christmas Carol with the one and only Harry Conic Jr. They'll be doing that on the Royal Caribbean Cruise.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. You know what I'm really finding interesting in what I'm really diving into these days. If I say so, I mean, it's such a torrid political climate, but you know, I find myself finding hope in the little stories my daughter tells me at night.
Speaker 6: Congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 3: She's coming home from the playground telling me these really interesting stories. And I'm really realizing, at what point does a child learn an ethical moral system? Is it taunt or was she born with it?
Speaker 4: I loved hearing the tapes you're already working on. If I could tease this out a little bit. You're you're piloting out this out and I've heard that you're recording your daughter telling stories of the park, and I find that beautiful. I did find the tapes are a little distracting because you can hear the park, and I think we should play one.
Speaker 9: Of them, Daddy. So the story is it's a little princess and she look, I.
Speaker 10: Reserve this grill at four, my grill all birds.
Speaker 9: And the princess only really wanted to the castle.
Speaker 4: She wanted grill so badly has the best view of the d.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for letting me play that. It's it's amazing. I know it brings it to you my eye because she's just growing up in age is just such a tricky.
Speaker 6: Beast.
Speaker 5: Age is a tricky beast. And I think that there is actually a group of scientists in New Jersey who are working on recontextualizing age so that you don't count as many years.
Speaker 3: I've heard called.
Speaker 4: Study consent spelled with a C, where you only.
Speaker 5: It's the age of content and you only agree to take in the years that you you agree. You don't you consent to have to turning another age.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it brings up go ahead, please, It brings up the statue of limitations. And I think that's something we uh, we talked about a lot on the show.
Speaker 6: I mean, I saw a humorous cartoon recently.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've seen that as well.
Speaker 8: It's it's they put it in their lobby, they put it in their lobby, and it's a instead of the statue of liberty, it's the statue of limitation.
Speaker 4: And she's and she's saying go home.
Speaker 6: I mean, that just says it all, and not just really say speaking of children and aging, I recently sat down with my children and kind of asked them to figure out a way to put me out of my misery. I asked them to figure out ways to maybe make it look like an accident, maybe maybe allow me to shuffle. I asked my family to poison me. I asked my family to smother me. I'm interested in no longer being here.
Speaker 5: Well, there's an there's an artist in New Mexico who is actually exploring ethical, uh familial euthanasia. It's about committing euthanasia to oneself in a way that honors spiritual ties, ancestral bonds. And there is a it's a deeply rooted tradition that I think spends back hundreds of thousands of years.
Speaker 4: Saghetty Museum has a beautiful has a beautiful exhibit right now about euthanasia.
Speaker 6: And I'm struggling, right So I'm struggling.
Speaker 4: That's so interesting, this exhibit, it's so interesting. So I can't believe you mentioned that you wanted your family to put you out of your misery. And it immediately brings me to this exhibit in the Ghetty that has a picture of every animal species. That's so and euthanasia.
Speaker 3: It's because you're struggling, and it reminds me of this really fun, quirky crossword theme.
Speaker 6: I ran across thinking of ending at all.
Speaker 3: So that's what the clue was. It was very interesting ending it all question mark and what it actually it was ending at all was twelve am. That's what you have to write, because that's the end.
Speaker 5: In the beginning ends quite funny of ending it all, I'm.
Speaker 6: Wishing for death.
Speaker 5: Well, when you wish for death, you've heard the sonata. Yes, I love there's a sonata that is going around that I'm sure.
Speaker 4: This is the sonatas via the male.
Speaker 5: You can literally catch this sonata in your hand because when you open it up, it's a Badminton quail, and so you you have to catch the sonata, and the sonata wishes for its own death.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting because as we speak about death, the California quail i've heard is bouncing back after years of decline. Apparently that's quite good. People doing people do what.
Speaker 6: Did you say, I've asked them to do it tonight.
Speaker 5: Tonight, Well tonight, remember the it's a very interesting NASA is reporting that there is a double.
Speaker 4: Blood double blood comment.
Speaker 5: But it'll be visible if you are in southwest Texas at three and five am you are in for a trade.
Speaker 4: There's a little girl in Texas that has already raised about five thousand dollars for the girl Scouts to all go see this commet. That's nice.
Speaker 6: Well, there's money to see a commet.
Speaker 5: You need.
Speaker 3: There's a fund off to get a telescope out there to see the comic correctly, because it'll be visible through telescope size.
Speaker 4: And this little girl, it reminds me of all of the little girls everywhere who make a wish. You said you wish for it to end. You said you wish for it to be done, and I think, you know, we wish upon a star. Think you.
Speaker 3: Know.
Speaker 5: Scientists are actually just studying wishes right now at the University of Iowa. They are doing a study on wishes and how it is. Actually they're heavy, they're heavy, they actually have weight. They have more weight than solids. Liquids and gases and people.
Speaker 3: You wish upon a star. I mean, it's such a beautiful song from of course, which musical is that from? Against? Because I have just recently discovered an all indigenous queer retelling of Pinocchio through an American with.
Speaker 4: The music, with the music, what is what is the classic flute flautist name?
Speaker 3: Yes, punch, punch and tape. He's doing the beautiful flute to when you Wish upon a Star retelling of Pinocchio. Well, thanks, guys, thank you so much for maybe should we introduce our maybe before we go, let's introduce ourselves.
Speaker 6: Signing off, my name is Elvis Presley.
Speaker 5: Hi, my name is Dandelion.
Speaker 4: Martin. I'm leather Bath.
Speaker 3: And of course i'm doctor Sinclair the fourth.
Speaker 4: And I'm Professor Dinky Linky. I'm still on the zoom someone let me on. I'm still on the zoom here.
Speaker 5: Goodness, goodness, I'm still zoom here. I have to let you go.
Speaker 3: I've been this whole time on our on our topic today. What is it like to do this an NPR host?
Speaker 4: Yes, I think this is a panel talking about what it's like behind the show. Now that the show's over. We can start.
Speaker 5: Well, let's talk about microphone quality.
Speaker 3: Answering the question. Now, that's why I call it show business.
Speaker 5: Good night for the Dynasty Typewriter joined the Patriot.
Speaker 3: We'll talk all about this.
Speaker 1: I have a Chase Froway.
Speaker 6: You never know what.
Speaker 3: It's one of our experimental theater pieces.
Speaker 1: Experimental theater piece talk about on the Patreon. Go see it.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Artists on Artists On Artists on Artists is an improvised Hollywood round table podcast created and hosted by Kylie Braakman, Jeremy Colhayne, Angeli Jeritana.
Speaker 6: And Patrick McDonald.
Speaker 2: It is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeartMedia Podcasts. Executive produced by Matt Appadaka and produced by Alexandra Dennis and Laser Vision Productions. Music by Gabriel Ponton and edited by Connor McCabe. Thumbnail art by Josh Florey and logo designed by Lucy Tomkowitz. Special thanks to Samuel Curtis and The Beautiful Dynasty Typewriter Theater. The opinions expressed on this podcast do not reflect the opinions of anyone who works on it, not even the performers. Because this is an improvised podcast, and we don't know what the heck we're talking about. Full video versions of AOAOAOA are available on YouTube, so please like and subscribe and leave us five star reviews wherever you get your podcasts. That's all for now, good night, Hollywood,