Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Tucker Carl's trend Out Don lem Trend also out you Gotta you gotta keep it even one for them, one for us. But yeah, the day of blood letting of famous news anchors is upon us. I am Jack and I'm thrilled to be joined by super producer Becca Rubber.
Speaker 2: Hello, mondays, Happy Monday.
Speaker 3: On mems are going down one by one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Tucker, I mean, we'll dig more into what we think happened, what could have happened, just do a little dance on his tiny little grave. But the Don Lemon news broke since we recorded tomorrow's episode, so we wanted to jump in the trends. And again this one seems like I don't know, I don't know if there's like a social contagion of like they saw that Tucker Carlson got fired without anyone telling him, and they were like, oh, we can do that, because yeah, Don Lemon was like hosting his show, he'd been with CNN for seventeen years, posted his show this morning, got off the air, and they were like, and that'll do. That's gonna be your last one. The days of them letting people give tearful, prolonged. You know, goodbyes are gone. Tucker Carlson signed off on Friday saying I'll see you on Monday, and he was wrong. Y his ass got canned. Don Lemon got fired because he had been they'd been kind of pushing him to the back burner ever since they came under new ownership, and the new ownership was like, CNN's too woke. So Don Lemon posted on Twitter, I am stunned. After seventeen years at CNN, I would have thought that someone in management would have had the decency to tell me directly. At no time was I ever given any indication that I would not be able to continue to do the work that I've loved this network CNN and came through him was like, we actually offered you an opportunity to meet with management, but instead you released a statement on Twitter. It's like, well, he's not firing someone with like your underling. And then be like, and you can meet with my boss if you want to.
Speaker 2: That's not the same thing as having an actual meeting before getting fired.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, But anyways, I don't give a shit about really either. I guess I give a shit about the Tucker crossing story. I'm glad. I'm glad to see him gone. CNN seems like it's going to shit. But with dun Lemon, I fully expect him to pop up on MSNBC or you know, one of the many other news networks for people who are like center moderate pro corporation news anchors, because that is most of the media in the United States. It will be more interesting to see, like what Tucker Carlson does from here because Newsmax and onn are also facing big lawsuits to potentially pose an existential threat. You hate to see it beca don't you We hate to see it. There's a couple videos of very destructive things happening on the internet. One one of our listeners shared with Miles and I on Twitter Infinite content hashtag get vaccinated send us this clip and it is just a new home in Utah that oh I saw that just fell off, like the top top of the house just fell backwards off the back of the house. Very cool, Like, you know, I would not want to be inside that house or a person who just paid I guess they're saying over a million dollars for these homes because they are prime real estate overlooking a canyon, so somebody forgot to tell the builder.
Speaker 3: Canyon.
Speaker 1: I am glad that this is something that can happen because it looked super cool. And yeah, shout out to whoever caught the video. Another thing that looked kind of cool Moleficent the dragon at disney World or Disneyland. One of the Disney's caught fire. There's great video footage of the dragon. It's like one of those fares or live shows. It's nighttime. This animatronic fire breathing dragon caught a little bit of its own breath. Never good.
Speaker 3: We can catch a little bit of a Chasmic show, which is a very iconic show, isn't you go?
Speaker 1: Yes, I wasn't familiar with it.
Speaker 2: It's like one of their live shows that you like pay extra tickets for or whatever. But it's like on the water, so it's like based on like you know, the Disney Fantasmic whatever. It's like a big excursion if you go to like pay the extra tickets to go see it. But it's like happens on like you're like sitting around like a stadium seat and there's like a water pit and then they do it in the water.
Speaker 1: So well, it's a good thing because this shit went up in flames, and there's really good footage of like the automated attention due to unforeseen circumstances, we're discontinuing the Fantasmic Show at this time, and like as the person is giving this sort of unbothered nothing to see here, folks, all good statement, Like it goes from like being visibly on fire to the head of the dragon like exploding in flames and everyone being like, oh, it's just you know, it's great to see Disney making people realize that anything can happen in this world. Shout out to Disney, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm looking at these images of like old because I actually I have like a silly little photo of me seeing the Fantasmic Show the first so I ever went to Disney World h with my parents. But I'm looking at what the show's supposed to look like, and I can see how that can end pretty horrifically.
Speaker 1: And this is not it. Yeah, and then just a trend that we've seen in a couple places is the police being the connect when you need you need guns, when you need meth, when you need ammo. We talked last week about how the gun that was used in the Louisville mass shooting. I believe they had to like sell it right away back to the public because the gun lobby has made it so that you can't keep guns behind closed doors. Well, the police aren't just helping that way. Sometimes they're doing charity. For instance, just giving away one hundred and sixty thousand rounds of AMMO. Gave it away to a thief. I guess it was stolen technically, but the Columbus police are still on the hunt for one hundred and sixty thousand rounds of ambers.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: And then also a California drug dealer escaped with sixty pounds of sheriff's myth, which is a thing you know, the sheriff sees his meth, that becomes sheriff's myth and if you gave your hands on the sheriff never know. Yeah, like got away with sixty pounds of meth that belonged to the Riverside County Sheriff's office.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely insane, and I do feel like, I mean, this isn't a new phenomenon. We allude to it all the time in our media because it is probably very true. Uh, you know, if you watch anything like between Narcos or even Snowfall. My partner and I've been watching that, or you know, there's a really good documentary I think it's literally called like Cracked or something on Netflix that talks about like the planting of cocaine and you know black neighborhoods in the seventies and eighties and the reason that you know there was such a crack epidemic, Like the police have always been at the root of a lot of these issues harming our communities when it comes to drugs and violence.
Speaker 3: So I like that. There's a little jingle for it. Police are the plug.
Speaker 1: But police are the plug.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, you know, it's nothing new.
Speaker 1: But also a sie like to bury because all cops are incompetent.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 2: And I even think during twenty twenty, I don't remember if we covered this because it was before I was on the show, but there was a conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Theory going around in New York, like during.
Speaker 2: Peak pandemic, that the police were planting fireworks in black and brown neighborhood specifically because there was a summer like July June twenty twenty where like we could not stop hearing fireworks, like it was just like yeah, yeah, it was absolutely insane. And it became this conspiracy theory that like police were trying to drive our communities mad and like not let us sleep so that we would be like more irritables, that there could be more crime and like all these things. And I definitely saw that on a personal basis living in Crowd Heights at the time, Like I was living in a very kind of dangerous part of Crown Heights, a very loud part of Crown Heights, and the fireworks were just like non stop, and I was irritable. A lot of people were irritable. It was so crazy. So I don't know, it's just garbage. And we saw police cars like dropping off fireworks like at the quarters and thinks like that, So I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, they're just trying to keep things fun, you know, just like Disney trying to trying to keep it a festival. Yeah. Yeah. Also, a San Jose police union executive got charged attempting to import fentanyl, which the cops are always asking us to feel sorry for them about. They looked at fentanyl and had to be revived from narcan. But apparently they're part of the problem. And I know that's going to come as a surprise to everyone who listens to this show. All right, let's take a quick break and then you're going to tell me about what's trending on TikTok. We'll be right back, and we're back, and what's the latest trend on TikTok?
Speaker 2: Back, We've got a new Wes Anderson trend on TikTok so lately. This is an interesting one to me that I saw it popping up because probably back when TikTok started, there were a few creatives that their whole thing was making their content really aesthetically like Wes Anderson. And that doesn't mean like their daily content, Like they were kind of storytelling in a way that Wes Anderson would like, kind of scripting and writing, and like you could tell they were really putting like art into it.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to include them in this. But now there's a trend.
Speaker 2: With TikTok where people are kind of romanticizing their own lives and turning it into a wes Anderson film. It reminds me a lot of the inserm account. Accidentally, Wes Anderson, which has its own coffee table book now that you can buy for forty dollars at the fucking Strand bookstore I saw in New York here recently. But yeah, people are basically just taking their iPhones, you know, being like turn landscape. You know they'll be on TikTok, but they'll still making landscape, taking wide shots, highly saturated.
Speaker 3: I think it's cute. It's fun though.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, a nice, silly little way to romanticize your life while you're traveling. But yeah, people, to me, it also kind of says like a how maybe uncreative. Wes Anderson is a little bit that like between the accially West Anderson account WHI has been around for years, I think since like twenty sixteen that account existed.
Speaker 3: To this, it's kind of like, okay, white man.
Speaker 2: I guess a lot of people could be very saturated, artistic, wide shot, colorful.
Speaker 1: Okay, whitest man. He may be the whitest man. We were talking about Wes Anderson before we start recording because of this trend, and it was a trend. You remember there being YouTube videos where it was like if Wes Anderson directed die Hard or uh yeah, slasher movie or whatever. But his movies are so hit or missed for me, and I don't have a central like the ones that other people really like that I don't connect with at all. There's no central reason, Like nothing makes sense to me. It's just like his movies are very polarizing, but like each one has like fifty percent of people really like it and fifty percent of people don't fuck with it at all, and it will change from movie to movie. It reminds me. I remember there was this early story about Netflix when everyone's like Netflix has data and an awgal rhythm, where they were like, the one movie we can't figure out is Napoleon Dynamite. That movie, Yeah, half the people love it, half the people hate it, and like it doesn't correspond to anything else in their film taste. And I feel like Wes Anderson is similar, but like even within his own ouvre, like some of his movies really hit, like I don't like Life Aquatic, but I love like shark movies and underwater movies, but like that movie, I don't fuck with at all. I thought for a long time it was because I only liked the ones that oh Wilson wrote with him, because it was like Rushmore and Royal Ten and Bombs and Bottle Rocket, and then I didn't like the next like three, but then I did like the Hotel One. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I love what you keep saying. It's the Hotel one, It's the Grand Budapest Hotel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the best one, the Hotel one. Yeah, you just the Island one.
Speaker 3: But I do like the Grand Bodopest Hotel. I do agree with you.
Speaker 2: I really I feel like I came into Wes Anderson via the Royal Ten of Moms.
Speaker 3: That was like my entry, and I liked the Fantastic Mister Fox.
Speaker 2: I did not like Life Aquatic, but I also don't really fuck with aquatic movies. Moonrice Kingdom we were talking off air. That one was kind of like in my peak high school, Like if you were a hipster, you loved Wes Anderson, you loved Moon Right's Kingdom. It came out when I was in high school. Yeah, I did like that one. I was like, whatever about it. I really wanted to like The French Dispatch because I have really grown to love Sar Sharonin and Timothy Childmay together, but I felt like it felt flat.
Speaker 1: That was the one that really threw me for a little because it was like, Okay, the hotel one, he seems like he has a back, and then I don't really see the animated one. I think I saw the fantastic mister Fox, but it didn't like really make much of an impact, and so I was like, maybe he's good again. And then I saw the French discussion. I was like, this is my least favorite one he's done?
Speaker 3: Yea, is I think my least fair one he's done?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I don't fucking know. Man, it's confusing. But he's like, what if we took the whiteness of like the prep esthetic and just like ramped it up to like ten x what the normal J Crew model is rocking? And what if the entire world was Cape cod.
Speaker 2: Literally But it's so funny because like he's iconically from Texas, Like if you are a hipster from Texas, people cannot let go Sanderson like growing up in Texas trying to figure out like I was like I need to escape here, Like I want to go to New York. I want to like leave Texas. And then I ended up going to a private Baptist college, question Mark. But I knew a lot of people in high school that were like, I'm going to be teat I'm gonna be a filmmaker and I'm gonna be like Wes Anderson, and they were just like gobbing at Wes Anderson.
Speaker 3: They were like our God, Wes Anderson, Like are you God?
Speaker 2: So I'm sick of him personally, I think it's really funny that his mom's name is Texas and that he's from Houston.
Speaker 1: And also we found out during our conversation, I think Brian pointed out or you pointed out, that his brother is.
Speaker 3: A yeah, is a children's children's book right, and.
Speaker 1: That is like what he I've always been like, Oh, he just wants to be a children's book author and illustrator and like, yeah, brought that aesthetic, Like that seems to be his entire aesthetic, and like he'll have children's books all throughout his movies and that's not like a thing that bothers me. I think it's like a cool aesthetic to like have chosen to crib from. But it's a yeah, it's funny. Like the two things I know about his family are also that he's from Texas, his mom's name is Texas, and that his brother is a children's book author and illustrator. Oh all right, Megan Trainer, I guess said fuck teachers on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so on her podcast which is working on it, which I think is funny that she can't take the criticism in a podcast where I guess, like the whole thing is like we're learning things, we're working on it. She had already questionable Tricia Paidos, who is a very controversial figure I think in mass media to this date.
Speaker 3: But they were talking.
Speaker 2: About like parenthood and you know, I guess raising kids in this like dynamic right now with like school shootings and things like that. But I don't understand how she could have come up with saying, yeah, fuck teachers in the context of dealing with like mass like school shootings, like it's the teacher's fault. I think we've as a mass media, as people who've been reporting on the news for many years now, like it's been I feel like canonically understood, like this is not the teacher's fault and of anything, there have been many teachers who have died at the hands of these shooters, protecting their students at the cost of their own lives. So it was just like very obviously tone def as a woman who is under the age of thirty, who is very rich, very privileged, Like, no need, did she ever need to say fuck teachers? It came from a very uneducated place, So I just think it was silly. She's in a silly goofy mood, and she's trying to apologize and say her words, like I realize that they have consequences, but like doesn't want to take accountability for those consequences.
Speaker 1: There is like a vast fuck teacher's wellspring of like anger in America that doesn't make any sense, but it's just purely the product of anti socialism propaganda for you know, decades, decades and decades of like public schools are too close to socialism for people, so they just blame teachers for everything. These damn teachers. Unions are the problem with schools, and it's like you barely pay them enough to feed themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the unions also don't fight enough for them.
Speaker 2: My mom was even telling me recently that there was like this incentive for teachers to get like a COVID bonus or something, and they couldn't get the bonus until after they signed on to be in the following school. Year, so like they had to come back in August to get the bonus that was supposed to be given in December, which is like so fucked. So for like eight months they like don't get the bonus, and then the bonus was only going to be six hundred dollars wow. And she was like, well, I'd rather just like forgo the bonus if I get to quit.
Speaker 3: And they were like it was.
Speaker 2: Like this this whole like the mental math, and it's like, yeah, this is what the union fought for us, and it's just the unions aren't helping. I have a lot of heart for teachers. I have teachers in my family. I have friends that are teachers. They're the most underpaid folks. But Megan's apology apparently she did initiate an official apology on TikTok. She said, I love teachers. I fight for teachers, which you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: They have a.
Speaker 1: Hard, weird statement then for someone and for them.
Speaker 2: She was blaming her pregnancy brain, which I don't think is fair, like like, yes, you are pregnant, Yes you have hormones. Yes, I don't want to ever say like being pregnant is an incredibly difficult experience, but you can't say like that's how you feel. You said fuck teachers, like that has nothing to do with your hormones. But she said, I love teachers. I fight for teachers. I think they have the hardest job and they're the most underpaid. They are the most underpret shaded when they literally raise all of us. I don't want to make excuses. I'm just so sorry, and then she added I'm so sorry to.
Speaker 1: Any teachers, teachers.
Speaker 3: I may feel bad.
Speaker 2: I will remind myself that my words definitely have a consequence. I will be more careful. I'm sorry so careless with my words. I love teachers. I'm here for you. Let's work to make schools a better place together. I'm like you said a lot of nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, it sounded like that was to stream of consciousness, which is, you know, it's not as bad as the carefully worded non apology where you like find every way to address your behavior without actually apologizing for it, but it's it's definitely a new look where it's just like you sound like you're leaving a voice message for somebody that you forgot you had called and like just didn't hang it up. And you're like, way, hey, hey, what's going on? Sorry? Uh yeah, I'm just uh just calling to a check in. What was I gonna anyways? Yeah, probably bad. It just seemed like very much perfunctory and trying to come up with something. So as always such a pleasure having you on the daily, Like, guys, where can people find you? Follow you?
Speaker 2: You can find me and follow me at bax b e CCS, ramos on all platforms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is gonna do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole less episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you tomorrow. Bye bye,