Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Hold ahead.
Speaker 1: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Terry's gonna score touchdown Slam to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo.
Speaker 4: He came flying into the back deal.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the sand Tan two to two Freeway in.
Speaker 4: Valves WAA Crab by Tray McBride.
Speaker 3: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast Visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash Podcast.
Speaker 5: All Right, Seas, Rising Up, Jumper, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 6: Here's Paul CALVICI I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 6: And Ron Wolfley, it doesn't get any better than.
Speaker 5: That the Fiord.
Speaker 6: Let's just say that I was talking to a key Cardinals decision maker recently, and let's just say Ron Wolfley that I did what I do best. I asked the dumb guy question, Okay, Jason, how competitive will this Cardinals camp be? And let's just say this person who would know didn't have to say anything because the wide eyes said it all. There will be blood, there will be Cardinals players snapped up by other teams after final cuts. Right, this will be the most competitive Cardinals camp in recent memory by design, and we're all about it, and we're here to talk about it. The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. We are santan Ford soon to feature Lorenzo Alexander, the former Cardinal fifteen year vet Paul calvic Here Ron Wolfle.
Speaker 1: There you know what's great about what you just said as well, Paully, there's no doubt about it. On both sides of the ball, offensively and defensively, the Resonner Cardinals are going to be a very very physical team. Now that doesn't mean, PAULI, you're going to be a great team. Doesn't mean you're gonna be a great team. You gotta go win games. You gotta make plays to win games. But man, they're gonna be a very very physical team on both sides of the ball. Offensively of course, and running the ball the way that they do and defensively. So why wouldn't you go into training camp and say, hey, guys, by the way, competition has just been ratcheted up, and we're gonna have some seriously highly contested positions that are going to be open for the best man. Man, this is gonna be this is going to be one of the best camps we've seen in a long time.
Speaker 6: Twenty eight draft picks over the last three years. I mean, let the rooks cook and then some every single draft pick is still on this roster. That will not be the case once you get to the final fifty three. And remember what we reported at the end of the twenty twenty three season when GM moniasap Fort brought his initial rookie class into that room the day after the season ended, and you remember what he told them. He said to these young guys in that room, in case you didn't know, my job as an NFL GM is to replace every one of you. Awesome, that is my job.
Speaker 1: Every It's just an awesome way to actually get up there in front of the entire team and say that, because it's a great reminder, Paul of what this is all about, what the NFL is about. It is a mercenary league. How many times have you heard me talk about this. It is a mercenary league. And your goal as a football player should be not to go out and win a Super Bowl. Your goal should be I want to be able to support my family for as long as I possibly can. And oh, by the way, I'm going to try and play as hard as I possibly can so we can win a Super Bowl. My goal, My goal is to support and take care of my family. Period.
Speaker 6: Remember how the B and BA used to stand for Blunt and he would say in August, we're not the Cardinals, not until you get a job, not until you earn a spot on this team, right on this roster. And it's a good reminder to the young guys coming out of college. There ain't no stinking four year scholarships. There's no such thing as job security. You got to earn it every single year. And that's what this camp is going to be about more than ever so far under Monni Austin Ford, the head coach, Jonathan Gannon, in fact, who was asked this past week, all right, how excited are you to put the pads on?
Speaker 1: Excited? Yeah, excited, that'd be good.
Speaker 7: That was one of the things that we kind of tweaked going into camp. And the players know this, have a little more friction, you know, what I mean, so during camp, so in a safe way, but I want to get on the paths a little bit and play football.
Speaker 6: More pads, more friction, more content tacked, more physicality.
Speaker 1: Paulie, I know all of those things right there, especially when you're talking about the line of scrimmage and the contested line of scrimmage of the Arizona Cardinals, especially in training camp when guys are trying to win jobs right now, that that friction and that competition and that physicality. I wonder if he's changed his opinion on the fight policy, paul Something something tells me he has not. Something tells me he has not changed the policy on that. That's why you threw in to do it safely, of course.
Speaker 6: Well, if you fight in a game, you're gonna get penalized and or ejected. You're gonna hurt your team. You got to manage your emotions while still remaining physical. Okay, Why is that so hard for you to process.
Speaker 1: PAULI everybody knows your dad. They know you never fight in the game. You're never gonna do that, you selfish, How could you possibly do that? Everyone knows that. Anyways, It's the one area I disagree. I love jg Oh my goodness. You know I am philosophic way aligned with Jag. He's a beautiful, beautiful man when it comes to being a head coach on an NFL team. I just disagree with his fight pome.
Speaker 6: Well, look, I have a theory as to why there's going to be more physicality, more time in pads, more friction. But first the head coach was asked, all right, what's behind that decision.
Speaker 7: For where we're at as a team and where our development is and where our health is. Honestly, and that can and you have to adapt that as we get going in training camp. Honestly, is the best thing to do. Get ready to play a week one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: I have two theories as to why why he's ramping up the physical Okay, all right. Number one is are you a much more physical team than you were before Jonathan Gan and Mantias Spfort took over. Say yes, yes, But there was still a couple of games last year where you went against some heavyweights. The Lions were very physical. That Washington defensive front, even the Carolina Panthers and the right side of that offensive line they ran for over two hundred and fifty yards in a key game on the road at Carroll. So yes, you can still get you still need to get more physical. But beyond that, Wolf, how are you gonna make some of these key roster decisions without seeing these guys play football? Yes, if you want to know who's the best corner, who's the best middle linebacker, Who's what's your rotation along the defensive line, who's your starting offensive guard right side? How do you figure that out unless you're playing real football, full contact, full speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right about that, Paully. But can I also say this right now? Training camps going forward in the Arizona Cardinals are gonna do it this year as well. But training camps going forward, you're gonna see them practicing more with teams. Pollie, this is what's gonna happen. I honestly believe at some point in time. You know my feeling on this. I've talked to you about it. They're going to extend. They're gonna add that eighteenth game, That's what they're gonna do, and add another buy as well, Paulli, and I honestly think that preseason games you're gonna have one, it's gonna be eliminated they're gonna bring it down to one and what they're gonna do instead of those preseason games, they're going to practice. They're going to practice man against other NFL teams. That's how they're going to replace that to get ready for the season.
Speaker 6: And we know Jonathan Gannon is in favor of that. Vikings two years ago, Colts last year. This year, it's going to be the Broncos a single joint practice before the middle preseason game. It's official. Cardinals are going to report on July twenty second, That is when Cardinals camp will commence. What are some of the biggest questions if you had to check them off real quick, and we have a month to talk about this, but off the top of your head, some of the biggest questions you need answered by the end of camp. If you're Jonathan Gannon and Manti assen Ford, I would start with Mike linebacker, captain, play caller of the defense.
Speaker 1: Why do you say that, PAULI? Why would you start there?
Speaker 6: Because you need to know who's going to be wearing that green dot and Kuise you're white not only a team captain, but he was an expert at calling the defense, getting the defense into the right looks, the right checks playing that chess match against the posing quarterback and the opposing play caller. Do you have that guy? Who is that guy? And he better start to jell with the rest of your defense.
Speaker 1: Okay? For me, it's really the interior offensive line. Listen, the offensive line and the ability to run the ball, lower the plow and hit the gas and run over people, especially with James Connor in a different tray Benson and more on that a little bit later. But to me, they're going to attack the line of scrimmage so much more in a North sal fashion than we've seen them do before. That means you better be able to run the ball up front. You better have offensive linemen that are going to come off the ball. And because of that, I think of Isaiah Adams getting the opportunity, and I think Paul he's going to be fine, but he's got to prove that, doesn't he And I think Kevin Brown as well. Is he going to be able to hold on to that left guard position? Right now? It's going to be fascinating to watch the battle the camp battles on the interior offensive line at the guard and see who wins in the end.
Speaker 6: What did Isaiah Adams tell us last week here in the Big Red Rage that all you have to do is look into that revamp, new and improved defensive line room and realize you're gonna have your hands full in the O line D line drills when Isaiah Adams is gonna be squaring off against Dalvin Tomlinson, Kaleis Campbell. Look at what Darius Robinson appears to be Yeh Walter Nolan, the ridiculous lateral quickness, Dante Stills keeps coming. LJ. Collier is legit, so you'll know. You'll find out. The other position group obviously is corner. I mean, you have four guys fighting for two spots at least, so we'll see. Hey join the Bird Gang Monday Night Football, Cardinals Premiere Travel, get all the info. It is quite an experience waiting to happen, Azycardinalstravel dot com. All right, Lorenzo Alexander, fifteen years in the league. We have questions. And that's next on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilder.
Speaker 4: That Scott to throw pleasure he is Jack Dalvin Tomlinson flying through the middle in a sack to store down, the pocket collapses and downy girls.
Speaker 1: The ball is out.
Speaker 4: Dalvin Tomlinson with the strip sack pass played for breeze and Trouble tumbles the phone.
Speaker 2: It's caught out of the air by Camble and he's running free at the thirty. At the twenty, they'll take it all the way and into the end zone for the cardinal touchdown.
Speaker 1: Kalaius Campbell caught the ball out of the air and took it to the house. Had a lot of fun playing in the stadium, you know, just hanging with the Bird Gang. The energy I fed off it for nine years, you know, and it's it's been quite the pleasure.
Speaker 6: I am seen an event the other night.
Speaker 1: Wolf.
Speaker 6: I just mentioned the name Kalaias Campbell. The Bird Gang went crazy. His Q rating is off the hook, and rightfully so, Palli, you know the other word on the street out there, Wolf. Are you aware that there's a fifty ten year NFL veteran Okay pro bowler who's been so busy with parenthood and coaching and maybe even a little golf. You know, what does that hasn't had as much time lately for the gym, and you know, may or may not have let himself go. You know, I don't know the beer belly, the double chin, the dad bot, you know, but I feared we should really ask him before we get rolling. So, Lorenzo Alexander, you on their Big Red Rage, Yeah, presented by Santane Ford and gohert. We are santan Ford. Please tell us you've let yourself go at this point? Come on now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, no, not at all. Man Wolf will understand that God built me different. You know, God some different things in my life. And I mean quite frankly, and I'm being kind of funny, but Kendid. You know, last week Wednesday, to be exact, I was in a pre significant car crash. Car flipped over, bounced up, and I walked out on me with just what some bruising and ribs. So I'm definitely blessed to be here, but God feel me different. So I'm never gonna let myself go, always going to honor him.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my goodness, that is praise the Lord. Indeed that you are okay? So okay, So after saying that, talk to me about some of the off season editions, of course, that the Arizona Cardinals have made to this team. Right now, where do you start. So when you think of all the moves they've made.
Speaker 8: It's a defensive line. You know, everybody likes the sexy, you know, the outside positions, And obviously we're gonna talk about Will Johnson a little bit as far as what he's going to bring to that dB room, but it starts from the interior, especially when you think about stopping the run, which has been an achilles heel of this team not being able to do it consistently, and then also not having to rely on you know, downing up different blitzes on third downs, and I think they're going to be able to be able to rush the passer, you know, on fourth day or third down with just four with the guys that they brought in, you think of a guy like a Class Campbell, who had a chance to actually play with for a couple of years in Agy when I played here, and you know, I go way back with class, big Man and great heart. And as you said, the Q rating is out the room. But you know, I'm old enough to remember when that dude's running down on kickoffs and he's earned his way in this league as being sustainable as a leader, and so I'm really interested to see how just his presence elevates the room, not even necessarily his play, but how he talks to some of those young guys in there, and what is that going to look like as far as helping them elevate their game so they've become pros. He's gonna do what he needs to do. I'm not worried about him one bit in the plays that he gets, but how does he elevate their room? And then also I think a guy like Josh Wat who's seeing him and how he's been dominant throughout his career just really consistent as far as rushing the.
Speaker 6: Passer as well former Cardinal, former pro bowler Lorenzo Alexander. As our guests, not many guys can come close to relating to eighteen years of playing time. And then you got the year fifteen. Here's my specific question about Lays at this point, because he has started all seventeen games each of the last two years. How much is he winning with his knowledge versus his physical skill.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll say this too, if I was getting paid like a lass, I wouldn't walk away from the game myself, you know, if I ever made that type of money. But you know, hearing him talk the other day. You know, obviously he's selling his body's not even ready right now. Mentally he's not ready. He's kind of pacing himself and I know exactly where he is as far as just at this stage in your in your in your game, you know how to kind of have that ramp up period so that you're ready to go, and he is still you can't. You have to be extremely smart our physical to play this game. But he's also winning with his mind. Understand the protection, understand the weaknesses of some of these younger guards or centers that he's going to face. Right we talk about those vet moves that he's doing that just getting him off the edge, and then his guy giving a billity just to be so long, you know whatever. He is six seven sixty eight long tall, so he's always going to be impacting the quarterback even though he may not be getting that physical pressure. His pressure, his presence is enough pressure to make quarterbacks pull down the ball or getting a lot of pvus as far as baddy balls. So he's doing a little bit of both. He still has enough to get out there and run around these young fellows and it's always fun. To watch an older guy of his caliber be able to do it at the high level.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be fascinating to watch us. Because I believe Nick rawlas of course a defensive coordinator for the Cardinals. He's gonna line Kalais off in a zero right on the head of the center all the way out to maybe a five technique. Where do you think he's the most effective?
Speaker 8: I mean, at this stage, it's really wherever I think when you're when he's in the middle, though, because of his presence, because of his lance, he's still able to impact quarterback vision and make guys have to maybe put a little bit more air on it, because that's where I think he's most dangerous at But anytime you can and again, when he's gonna be over that center, they're gonna probably have that five down seco looked as I used to call it, with five deef a the linemen. It typically the center is your worst pass protector because oftentimes he's the help for helping out that guard right. He's also typically a smaller guy and what a man like Kalay has kind of eating him up, and with the pass rush moves in his lens, he can actually have a lot of production with some of the other guys that's going to be around him also rushing to pass it from the interior side. So I think for a couple of reasons, just because the way he's built, and also that's typically the O lineman or the center is typically the fish, the weaker, the weakest O line of the.
Speaker 6: Group of five Lorenzo, Alexander our guest on the Big Red Rage Presentaboy, Santan Ford and Gilbert all right, So talking about that revamp, new and improved defensive front, we were asked the other day for some some predictions and I said, I don't know how many interceptions the Cardinals had last year as a team, but double it. That was one of my predictions because of the increased pass rush. I mean, is that valid? Do you think that this secondary is gonna be able to BALLHWK a lot more?
Speaker 8: Double is a lot. And I don't know how many I had last year. I know they were really good in the red zone. I don't know if they had that many turnovers because teams were getting down there. So I could see them definitely getting that increase because they're gonna be on in there a lot more. Pressure. Like I said, you know, class alone is probably gonna call two or three with getting some tits and overthrows where a linebacker can come up or maybe even another defensive linement off the ball that he's batted up in the air to get his hands on. So I definitely see an uptick because of that, along with some of those other guys that are gonna get some pressure. Right, he robbed sweat, So I definitely think it can happen. And then when you have that one last guy that's rushing or blitzing that you know rollers had to do last year, that's one extra body in the back end if they're playing like some type of zone blitz or or zone pressure I mean, or or zone coverage that can actually have their eyes on the ball and actually go get it when it's in their.
Speaker 1: So Zoe, go ahead and talk to me about Josh Swatt and his impact and what an edge guy, a premier edge guy can actually bring to a defense.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's gonna because he's consistent, He's consistently been you know, a guy that impacts the quarterback. You know, I've kind of got a chance to obviously see him kind of develop and grow up as a leader as well, and it's going to be another guy that's going to impact beyond just what he brings. But he's long, he's strong, he's violent, he's physical. You know, he's gonna be able to help in the run game in the past, so he understands how to play this game. And he's been consistent and that's what I really like to see, you know, just from year to years of consistency in terms of how he plays this game. And it's just only gonna help when you add him into that mix with everybody else. And when you have a dominant edge guy, you typically have to help on the outside, you know, where we think about a back half of the chip, maybe keeping a tight end, which again helps the back end. That's one last guy you have to worry about or if he gets out and getting out late and he's more of a checkdown versus a vertical threat. So having a guy that can rush from the edge is definitely gonna help just a defense overall to be able to impact the offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if it can have that Chandler Jones effect, you go from fifteen guys with one sack till one guy with fifteen sacks. And they have to game plan for that guy. So look, it's going to be really competitive. The edge rushroom, the D line room, the cornerback room is really deep. But probably the biggest question I have on defense going into camp would be middle linebacker. How big a deal is that trying to replace Kaiser White? Because I see at least four candidates potentially.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's hard. Anytime you go with a guy that's been there for a couple of years, that understands the defense, that makes the calls right, he kind of becomes he creates an identity within that huddle. People you know, typically learn and listen for his voice and hear it. And so for someone to step into that role who maybe who hasn't done it, who hasn't done it here is going to be a little bit of a learning curve, you know, hearing the call come in on the mic and then be able to make the huddle his own. But these guys are professionals, you know, you know, so whether it's Mack Wilson or another guy that's on MS ROSS, so somebody will step up, take the bull by his horns and lead this defense. And the great thing is that he has some other great players on this team that going to allow him to take that role like khalais for example. So if it's a young guy or a younger guy that's never done it, if he clais hears other people in the huddle talking while the mike is trying to talk, I guarantee you he's gonna say shut up. Right. You need to have that because you know, being in front of a other grown men as you're trying to hear the call coming in, people talking about what just happened, and now you're trying to say something and you've never done it, it can be I don't want to say overwhelming. Is just just something new that you have to get used to. But having advocates in in that on that defense that understand the importance of hearing the call and getting the call and communicating when we get out here and play fast, I think will be key. And they have plenty of that so so.
Speaker 1: Will Johnson, of course, was drafted in the second round out of Michigan by the Arizona Cardinals. He is a corner. He has a long, tall corner. What are your concerns if he is starting coming out of training camp and I do again it really doesn't matter if he does or not. But we love sitting around talking about, man, can this kid actually start coming out of training camp? I think Will Johnson possibly could having said that, what is your concern when starting a rookie corner?
Speaker 8: It's just a confidence. You know, how do they start? Because there's been a lot of great corners that get drafted high. You know, I could think about Etom that was up and Buffalo and just guys like that that have a lot of pressure on them. You out on the island and then you know most offenses are gonna go at you. And if you you know, facing top tier receiver week in and week out and you get roasted a couple of times, you know you're in a new space. You know you can get down on yourself because now you know, obviously college has turned to more of a business, but the NFL is a whole different animal. You know, you at the top, there is no transfer portal you you know, there is no hiding. You can't get away from it. So that's what you worry about with a young corner. You know, can he have success early? And then how does he handle the adversity that he is going to face because offensive coordinators are going to attack him until they make him go somewhere else. And so the great ones are able to figure that out, understand become students of the game, watching their film, watching other guys. How do the other guys attack this receiver? And I think the quicker he learns that and becomes a professional. You'll you'll see him have the consistency from weekend to week out, because we all know that he should have been a number one or as far as first rounder. He just dropped because of some injury and people not being quite sure what that's gonna look like. So he has the ability to do it now. It's about putting this together and I think a lot of times being a second round picking in his regard, he's gonna have a chip on the shoulder to be able to go out there and put it in the work that's going to be needed for him to showcase.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, even minus SMB, that is going to be an ultra competitive position. Group twenty eight draft picks last three years, seven of them corners by Mani os Ford and Jonathan Gannon Zoe. We appreciate the time even better news that you survived the car crash.
Speaker 1: You rolled over.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, none of this fast and furious driving the rest of the summer. Okay, no more of that though, all right, I wouldn't drive it, okay, all right.
Speaker 8: And we hit a d here, so it's just whoa goodness?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 6: Wolf wanted to know if you put the video on YouTube, Stop a wolf. Don't ask him about that.
Speaker 1: You know what. Not surprise the dog that you are that you walked away from that man. Not surprised?
Speaker 6: All right, thanks, Zoe was the next day. There you go, appreciate it. We'll come back. We'll talk about two rby ones Kramit vertical times two. As we continue on the big red rage presented by Santan forward in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Connor.
Speaker 4: Thelone back, Furry take skip the Connor this time and easily straight ahead for the touchdown.
Speaker 1: You give me three dirt liquors and a ground pounder, and I'm gonna break the plane every time.
Speaker 4: Urry, barking out the call, takes the snap, hands it off. Benson running left, dives into the end zone.
Speaker 1: First first touchdown. Give it to Tray Benson. Let him get a little pay dirt, a little grease for Trey Benson.
Speaker 4: Breaking tree is Steve Kada with the forty Dear Site thirty twenty ten to five touchdown.
Speaker 5: Forget about the hell Mary about the hell Lamary.
Speaker 4: Team Erkada want a handoff runs fifty three yards for a touchdown.
Speaker 6: You talk about wearing down a defense. Cardinals have done plenty of that via the run game in two years under Jonathan Gann and Drew Petsing the offensive coordinator and that running back room. It is loaded once again. In fact, the Cardinals stood pat with what they had. They're bringing it back in twenty twenty five. We are back in the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, all the best. The Lorenzo Alexander Man, He's had an eventful offseason at this point, but it was great to get his knowledge and his insight and as someone who was stout against the run, guess what, That's exactly what the Cardinals want to do this year. And Wolf, I think the most intriguing aspect of this look. We know all about James Connor and what he's capable of, but if you add a Ray Benson to this mix, we know. I'm Mari Dear Mercado in spots and is your third down pass pro back. But you tell us what you saw from Trey Benson before his season? Is rookie year ended prematurely with that ankle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I saw Trey Benson go through a paradigm shift, if you will, in regard to how you run the ball. I think early on in the season, PAULI, you could see Troy Benson. He was all about, man, watch me how shifty I am, and watch me explode and just outrun you and use my speed and my quickness. And I think being in the room with James Connor and watching James Connor run the ball, because Trey Benson is a big man as well. And I think watching James Connor run the ball and being more decisive picking his shoulder and trying to run through the tackle. I think Trey Benson learned a lesson and how to run the ball. In the National Football League. There is a time and a place for your speed, There's no doubt about that. But it's after you break a tackle and then get to the second level and now you're into the secondary. That's when you want to hit the jets. Not all the time. Do you want to try to run the ball and hit the big one. Paully, I don't think that's what Troy Benson wants to do this year. I think he wants to be a little bit more decisive. And I stand and applaud.
Speaker 6: Him, and you know what he's on that. You're absolutely right, he said, you know what, I was thinking too much, trying to hit the home run every time. And he said he said to the media recently that James Connor took him aside and said, look, take what they give you. It kind of reminds me back in the day. I recently had a chance to interview David Johnson and he reiterated how valuable Chris Johnson was one of the fastest dudes in the history of the NFL. But you know what he taught him patience, Yeah, your blocks develop, you know, just wait until the hole decrease is there and then stoke it. Don't get ahead of your blocking scheme. And so it's interest out these younger backs learn from established guys. In fact, Jonathan Gannon was asked recently on just why James Connor, we know, three time Cardinals team captain, two time Pro bowler, why he's such a premier player.
Speaker 7: We have some different variety in the run game, and he can really do it all. He can run wide zone, he can run inside zone, he can run gap schemes, he can do it from gone, from under, from pistol so and then obviously his style of running. He's a premiere player. You know, he hits it. He's got good vision, he's got good balance, he's hard to bring down, he's got juice.
Speaker 6: And he's one of the leaders in the NFL when it comes to breaking tackles. And when I asked Trey Benson about that, he said he has asked James Connor about that. He's like, okay, how what's the key, what's the secret sauce? Because he said, you know what, James Connor is definitely one of the best I've ever seen. And he said the media doesn't give him enough credit. This is Trey Benson now for his ability to break tackles and get those extra dirty yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no out Pauly, and that's what Tray Benson. This is where he's got to grow the most. It's not just about hitting the hole. So much of the time college running backs coming out, you talk about the patients and the fact that he had to learn. Patients man college running backs, they want to hit the hole. They think hitting the hole as hard as you possibly can is what you've got to do. Where the zone scheme, especially the tackle zone, the wide zone, whatever you want to call it. Right now, the zone scheme, you really have got to wait. You have to bide your time, stay on course, stay on your track. And at the same time, that play could hit in the C gap, it could hit in the B gap, it could hit in the A it could hit in the backside a gap. You got to be very, very patient. And I think this is what Tray Benson is learning right now, and it's the reason why Paully I think Trey Benson is going to get a lot more reps this season.
Speaker 6: He says he is seven pounds heavier than his rookie year, except in his words, I am way mo more explosive quote end quote. Here's a guy who ran a four to three to nine at the combine and was disappointing at that time. Thought he should have run much closer to a four to three flat. So if you do the math, he's over two hundred and twenty pounds, close to to twenty five and he told the media, I want to be a bruising back, except with speed. Okay, we're all on board for that right In fact, in an ideal scenario, Trey Benson saying he thinks the Cardinals can have a pair of RB one's.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I feel like I'm gonna get more opportunities, you know, help James out a lamar. I feel like we can have two RB one's on this team. And that's my mindset. This is two RB one's, you know, be able to help James out because he's the who's the work load for us last year and he set the tone for me and you know, set the tongue for the whole running back room. So being able to help him out a little bit more this year, well a lot more this year is to go.
Speaker 6: Two years in a row. The air is on the Cardinals rushing offense has finished number two in the NFL in yards per carry. Think abou how many times the Cardinals have worn down a defense in the second half? How much more if they do have two RB ones.
Speaker 1: Paully, it's oh man, that would be a dream, that really would be a nightmare for everyone else in the NFC West. Okay, but it'd be a dream for the Arizona Cardinals to have two rb ones. Number one is because it would give James Connor a spot, it would rest him. And you know, James Connor runs the ball in a very physical, very in your face, very hard way, and because of that, he takes a lot of hits. And you worry about James wearing down over the course of a season, Paul, You're getting injured from time to time, even though he's done a great job staying healthy for the most part. James Connor, to me, runs the ball in such a physical way, So I think it's awesome to have another guy that you could look at and say, yeah, our offense doesn't need to change at all when Trey Benson comes into the game. So yeah, we do have two rb ones and he can spot. He can spot James Connor and give him a blow when he needs it so that maybe he can play in a lot more games and a lot more reps throughout the end higher season. That's number one, Polly. But it's also the competition. It's it's competing. Trey Benson's going to be competing against James Connor for who can gain the most yards, who can score the most touchdowns. And anytime you've got that kind of competition, friendly competition, but competition in a room, it's good for the team.
Speaker 6: There's no doubt for everything the Cardinals offense did to stay the same in terms of personnel, I think they really are going to evolve this year. And that's not just us. It's Trey McBride saying that in the offseason there's been a lot more motion, that extra sauce right into the Cardinals offense. We've heard Kyler and Drew Petsen talking about Kate Kyler out of the pocket a little bit more, sometimes by design. Sometimes when he's flushed out, you need to be more effective and make a defense pay when he's on the move. Kyler talking about how he was a big fan of Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen watching them in the AFC playoffs. What does that mean? Don't forget Kyler ran for over eight hundred yards in his second year in the NFL, So yes, is that coming? And then the other thing, I do wonder, and you tell me wolf of them off base on this what are the odds that go with split backs two backs at the same time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I bet Drew Petsig will do it from time to time, but I don't think it's it's going to be a common thing. Can I just say that, would I be surprised if he didn't do it from time to time, Yes, I would, But I think it's going to be specific to whatever opponent they're playing. Having said that too, PAULI, I just want to talk about Trey Benson's ability to come out of the backfield and catch the ball. That's something that I think is really important as well. And not only not only that, but being able to hold up in protection. James Connor is very very good in terms of protection, and we know that rundown situation, play action of course, and throwing the ball deep down the field to Marvin Harrison Junior, this is going to be a big part of what the Arizona Cardinals are going to try to do offensively. That means you need running backs who can hold up in protection, and this is where Trey Benson needs to improve the most, no doubt.
Speaker 6: And do not forget how much importance the coach is attached to just that thou shall protect quarterback. And last year, when we realized it was a crowded running back room. I automatically assumed to Mario de Mercato would be the guy, the odd man out. Nope, it was Michael Carter who ended up going to the practice squad because they needed They wanted to mari de Mercado on third down in pass protection because that is where he excels. Hey get ready for the twenty twenty five season. With the latest gear from the Cardinals team shop. We're talking the hottest items, including the recently drop Marvin Harrison junior jersey. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash shop today. All right, there's another list out and this one snubbed. Larry the Legend. All that is next on the big red Rage.
Speaker 4: Open one of the thirty five mob he's hair, he's in the morning. At the fifth he turns up field of the forty.
Speaker 2: Five hurt the morning thirty five step COM's thirty twenty five twenty fits to the near side ten to the five.
Speaker 5: Tackle There amay course of bomber saw Larry Fitzgerald on the other side of the field and threw it while moving on the run, and then Larry Fitzgerald the Legend took over and did the rest.
Speaker 10: I told Wolf I actually phoned up to the to the box right when overtime was starting. I told him, listen, I'm gonna go to the left. I'm gonna break a few tanglers. I'm gonna get tackler to five. So get what you're gonna say. Prepare so you so.
Speaker 8: You look good.
Speaker 10: And it sounds like to live on forever.
Speaker 1: And you took the advice hitting ran with.
Speaker 4: It snapped the palmer rolls up.
Speaker 2: He is a pitch to fence Runnicks right ahead, head of the hands on the shovel pass. Then it touchdown of the wind the Cardinals and dance to the NFC Championship game on a shovel pass, of all things, and one of the craziest games ever fits.
Speaker 4: On the shovel pass, stores Ken the Cardinals winning it overtime twenty six to twenty.
Speaker 6: Let that memory hang in the air.
Speaker 1: Great call.
Speaker 6: Dave fash Ron Wolfley in the booth is Larry's cider. Larry had a handle on everything going on everywhere in the stadium at all times. And by the way, they were sitting in that shovel pass play for about two years, every single Friday they would practice it and then finally in that very moment to beat Green Bay in Round one of the playoffs. There was fits after the hail, Larry seventy five yards. I still love more than anything, maybe in his entire career. I still love the Nolak stiff arm boom out.
Speaker 1: Of nowhere, look stiff arm.
Speaker 6: Yes, oh man, all right, sorry, I'm getting carried away. It is the Big Red Rage, presented by Santane Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul calvic, Ron, Wolfley and wolf You know'tis the season four lists the off season. I mean we could spend a whole hour talking about I mean, right in front of me. I've been keeping track of a few that came out in the last month or so. Top ten breakout candidates entering year two. Number three, Marvin Harrison Junior, Top eight Bandwagons to jump on number three, Arizona Cardinals, six off season champions Cardinals on that list of the top six, I mean sixteen day three picks who could compete to start Number three Cody Simon, Cardinals linebacker. I could go on ten perfect team fits. Number four Will Johnson.
Speaker 1: You're right, Paulyly, it is wish list season. It is list season. Right now. So many people love doing this. It drives me crazy, it really does. It's kind of like a producer question where you have to answer the question one way or the other. You can have both. How about we do have both? But not during list season.
Speaker 6: You can, because it can always get worse.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 6: This week. The ESPN All Quarter Century Team build a fifty three man roster just based on the two thousands ever since the turn of the century, and they put out at each position group those who made the team. And then there was a practice squad. So there were let's count him here, six six receivers who made the All quarter Century Team. Yes, men dot Com? You ready, yeah? Randy Moss okay, Julio Jones, Marvin Harrison, Calvin Johnson, Megatron, Wow, Terrell Owens, Justin Jefferson. Okay, Justin Jefferson, Justin Jefferson. And then the practice squad consists of Antonio Brown and Andre Johnson.
Speaker 1: Oh, my goodness, Larry Fitzgerald did not make this list. Is that what you're saying? He did not make this roster.
Speaker 5: He's not on the list.
Speaker 1: Oh he's going goodness? Okay, Okay, this is funny because Justin Jefferson, all those names. It's Justin Jefferson that I have a problem with Paully, and it's not because he's not a great player. Oh my goodness, he is a great wide receiver. There's no denying that he's only been in the league for five years. Paul, he's only been in the league for five years. I understand you might want to be a little controversial when you make this list. I understand you might want to be a little relevant as well, and not just talk about guys that played over a decade ago. I understand that you want some relevance to today. But man, I would have a problem with Justin Jefferson, even though he's had five great seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, Larry had seventeen with the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 6: See, I would start with Tarrell Owens. Too had more drops in one game than Larry had in his entire career. I happen to see almost every single game of Too's career. I'm telling you so I respect his game. He's definitely a Hall of Famer. He's not more deserving than Larry fi Gerald. Let me also throw this out, Calvin Johnson, unbelievable. You know it's the NFL, as your friendly neighborhood Pencils sideline reporter, when Megatron would break the huddle and come to the Cardinals sideline and right across from as Patrick Peterson, you talk about an epic all time battle, and I mean they were ten feet away from me and it might as well have been another planet. The athleticism on display right there. But did Calvin Johnson ever even play in a single postseason game? Think of Larry's prowess in his production in the playoffs compared to someone like Calvin Johnson. I get it's not necessarily his fault. The Lions were woeful at the time, but think of everything Larry did in the playoffs and how he built that reputation a national brand basically both based on the postseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right. Well, when you throw in Larry Fitzgerald his seventeen years of course in the league, the fact that fits. How many yards did he have passing yards? Seventeen thousand, four hundred and ninety two receiving yards. Think about that for a minute, the production that this guy put up, and Polly I think also you have to consider how many great quarterbacks did Larry Fitzgerald have how many great quarterbacks? Man, I mean to go.
Speaker 6: From Kurt Warner to Carson Palmer and then two years with Kyler, but one was his rookie year and the second year was Covid. So yes, I get your point. So maybe we're on the same Patriot because when I look at Marvin Harrison, and I'm gonna take anything away from Marvin Harrison, but if you put Larry Fitzgerald with Peyton Manning.
Speaker 1: He's gonna have twenty seven thousand yards receiving.
Speaker 6: He'd have better numbers than Jerry Rice. He's number two to Jerry Rice in virtually every category all time. And he doesn't make the Quarter Century Team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I've got a little bit of a problem with this quarter Century team. There's no doubt about it. I do. And I think it starts with Justin Jefferson. Again, a great wide receiver, a great he's played five years in a league.
Speaker 6: Man, come on, yeah, yeah, I'm with you. I'm with you. And look, Julio Jones played a lot of the same years that Larry did. And Julio Jones is legit all pro. He wasn't better than Larry Fitzgerald. I just read my opinion on that, so okay, you know, but they need to stir it up, right, They take out the big soup spoon. They stir it up. They make sure there's a little controversy. So what happens Guys like us are talking about it. They get airtime, they get publicity across promotion. I get it.
Speaker 1: You know what is interesting, though, Paully, Kaleis Campbell, and Patrick Peterson, you were on the.
Speaker 6: List, yes, and deservedly so, I mean yes, you know what we forget is Kaleis Campbell made the All Decade Team in the twenty tens. Think about just how good he was. He's in Europe team right now. So he's a six time pro bowler, Kalaeis Campbell who has still started every game of the last two years, and he's aged thirty eight. And then Pat P Look Pat P in his prime. Those all pro teams there or I mean, other than Darrell Reeves, there really was no one better in his era, and there aren't many corners in this day and age. I don't know if there's a single corner left in the NFL that will travel. We'll go with one premiere wide receiver wherever he goes all over the field, and that was Pat Pe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right, Pape. I just thinking of some of the plays he made on some incredible throws, just some of the plays he made. Pat Pe was one of these guys who got a lot of passes defensed as well for a corner. He was a guy that could play in his own room very very well, but also a guy that, as we know, could walk up and play press man cover. But even when he played press cover, and he played that a lot, pap Pe was still so good in regard to playing press man that he could still get his hands on a lot of pigs and knock the ball away. That's a pass defense and he did it very very well.
Speaker 6: And so as we come full circle on this ESPN All quarter Century team that left Larry Fitzgerald off the team. To your point, he had two long term, really good quarterbacks, and Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer, and then in between man, think of the turnover, Think of the different guys he had to try and vibe with right to get chemistry with. Think of the evolving door and the turnstile was of quarterbacks. And yet Larry was productive every single season, regardless of who threw him the football.
Speaker 1: Yes, so to me to leave him off of that list outrageous.
Speaker 6: Yeah so.
Speaker 1: And by the way, even though we did go to pitt.
Speaker 6: By the way, he's up for a gold jacket. So wolf get ready, get ready? Tis the year. This is year five after he called it a career, Larry Fitzgerald gonna be heading to Canton. I mean right, yeah, of course it was up to ESPN All quarter century Team. Maybe he wouldn't be going to Canadon as a first ballot wide receiver. Hey, be part of the Red Sierra on the Cardinals single game tickets on sale now. Tickets available online by visiting Azycardinals dot com slash buy tickets Special. Thanks Lorenzo Alexander for joining us for Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvic Special. Thanks as always, Jim Almahundro, Cody Fincher, Evan Reiser. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the price, right on the corner of the Santan two oh two Freeway and Valvesta The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little, big red rage football right here.
Speaker 3: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Clock