Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Trendo Mechanicus, a reference to the name of Elon Musk's secret third baby with Brihmes, named Tao Techno Mechanicus. Okay, sure, yeah, I am so tired of you, and I'm talking to the baby. By the way, shout out Johnny with that title. Yeah, Johnny Davis, shout out to you, good friend.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack. That's Miles.
Speaker 1: There's like major Elon Musk story news age. So there's there's a new book out from Walter Isaacson, the Steve Jobs biographer.
Speaker 2: Who I didn't realize.
Speaker 1: Did you know he was the head of Time magazine in the nineties. I don't know why I would have realized that.
Speaker 3: Who gives a check you didn't keep up with who the head of Time magazine was in the nineties.
Speaker 1: He just entered my rankings of the top five heads of Time Magazine.
Speaker 2: Over the last fifty years.
Speaker 1: But he was the head of CNN when nine eleven happened. Okay, shut out, I mean that's that's not nothing. Yeah, Rhodes scholar. I just read a New York Magazine profile of Walter Isaacson around his writing of this Elon musk biography managed to get through the paragraph where he was like, I don't know, it's pretty cool that, like, you know, I wrote about one genius, Steve Jobs, and now writing about another. And like you can just like see the the box of the Walter Isaacson genius box like Steve Jobs, Elon Musk other people. I think he's written about jack O. Yes, that is why I soon managed not to throw my damn magazine across the room. I wasn't included, I hear you, but he uh it sounds like it's I don't know, it's hard to I well, one of us will just have to read this shit. But it sounds pretty sympathetic to Elon Musk. It says his upbringing was brutal because his dad was mean to him.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like that's pretty that could be pretty objective. Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: We've seen how his dad talks about him.
Speaker 1: Sounds pretty sympathetic overall. Like there, so there's this one. The big thing that is uh breaking in the past couple of days is that, uh there is this like big bomb drop detail where he basically said that Elon Musk turned off the Internet to prevent a Ukraine attack with submarine drones off the Crimean coast. Like basically the way it happens to the book is like they are about to take out a huge chunk of the Russian military and Elon Musk gets cold feet and like turns off the starlink Internet to that part of the world, and then the submarine drones just like wash harmlessly to shore because the Internet got turned off on him, and people are like, whoa, that's it's like major military decision being made by him. Isaacson is already like, so Elon Musk was like, actually, we never gave internet to the Crimean coast. They knew that. They basically put the drones in place, and then we're like, could you turn on the internet, And I reiterated my decision to not turn on the internet there.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It still seems like a big idea or a big deal. It still seems like a lot of power concentrated in the hands of somebody who seems like a fucked up, shitty human being.
Speaker 2: Use Isaacson's words to describe him.
Speaker 1: He is where is it a mercurial man child with grandiose ambitions and an ego.
Speaker 2: To match that feels like a New York Times backhander.
Speaker 1: That is actually that's a New York Times summary of the book what says about him got it, but I don't know. Like the thing that makes me still want to read it is that this like New York Magazine profile of Walter Isaacson, like they're just kind of following him around New Orleans, where he's from, and they're like, he said that there were various times during the two years he was writing the book where like Elon Musk would just like call him, just pour his like robot heart out to him, and Walter Isaacson I had to literally fight the urge to say, why are you telling me this?
Speaker 3: Holy shit? So I hope that's in the book. Is it out? It dropped today? Dropped Tuesday, September twelfth, Okay, so we'll see. I'm sure we'll start seeing all the snippets soon, enow and we can rub our mits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so we'll see. In this Frickin' Elon Musk, I can't even catch a break because he's also in the news for violating the FTC privacy orders. According to The Washington Post, Elon Musk repeatedly made decisions after his take over of Twitter that likely ran a foul of a twenty twenty two government order imposing sweeping restrictions on the company's data security and privacy practices. So, I don't know, guys, seems like a bit of a fuck up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But also lords too much power over large swaths of the government the world.
Speaker 1: There are people, there's like huge chunks of the Pentagon who are like, I just don't want to make Elon mad He's so powerful.
Speaker 2: I need this internet. We need his internet.
Speaker 1: Anyways, let's talk about prayer coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the prayer coach controversy.
Speaker 1: So and Elon Musk of prayer coaching, of bringing prayer to the football field.
Speaker 3: This is so, this was one of those Supreme Court cases that just further like erodes the you know, or just disintegrates the separation of church and state in our First Amendment rights.
Speaker 2: His high school.
Speaker 3: Football coach basically like you know, Supreme Court Court ruling he won his case where he was saying, like I was fired, uh because and I was like put under tremendous pressure because I was refused my right to brief quiet personal prayer. And like when the Supreme Court heard their case, they're like, wow, it just sounds like you were being really like you're just doing it privately and they were infringing on your rights. But if you actually look like, you know, this was one of these things where when you looked at all of the evidence, it was clear that this guy was not just having hushed prayer. Here's like full blown like circles that everyone had to like participate in and obviously made like players uncomfortable if they weren't you know, Christian or anything like that. Yeah, just as Neil Gorsich in his opinion, it was like, yeah, these are like completely like they're muted and unobtrusive, as he says, and like in the dissenting opinion, Sodamayor was saying like, yeah, look at the fucking pictures, Like these are large, performative like prayer circles.
Speaker 2: These are like, hey, I'm just mumbling stuff. You're like screaming out christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like and your football cut to like people on the grounds like he's like doing laying on of hands and people are fit.
Speaker 2: Let me heal you, let me heal you.
Speaker 3: But it seems like that coach really didn't give a fuck about anything, including his rights, and that this case is similar to others that use like this like exaggerated controversy to further again erode our First Amendment right. So this guy, coach Kennedy and said quote, appear to have little interest in taking back his old job, which is supposedly what he was fighting for, because the part of this case was like they're like he needs to be reinstated. But then he acknowledged that he sold his house and moved across the country to Florida.
Speaker 2: With no plans to move back.
Speaker 3: Finally, on Friday, Kennedy returned to coach one football game, then he quit. Cool yeah, says he has no evident desire to exercise the rights that his lawyers fought for over years of litigation. Those lawyers, however, walk away with one point seven million in attorney skies paid out by the school district. And like, this guy basically moved to Florida to become like one of these right wing celebrities to be.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm prayer coach man and was like, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 1: He's a family sized written house. I was gonna say mini written house, but yeah, in terms of his celebrity, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what he thinks he is.
Speaker 3: But like a lot of people are comparing this to this other case three ZHO three creative that was like, you know, used to side with someone who didn't want to make a website for like a gay couple, like for their wedding. And again, this is like another case where this woman was like, man, Colorado's non discrimination law would force me to make a wedding website for gay people, and that's just against my religious beliefs. And they're like, well, did somebody somebody came and told you to make a Like what happened? They're like, yeah, yes, Mike and Stuart Miles. Yeah, Mike and Stuart. They showed slight interest in maybe making a website, Like slight interest was then journalists hunted this down. Mike and Stuart do not fucking exist. Yeah, but this went all the way to the Supreme Court and they ruled in favor of this person. And again it's like this is also just kind of like a new way that they are using. There, not a new way, but like another very maybe underrated way that we were seeing, Like these controversies just basically be built from scratch, yeah, and then used to test the Supreme Court, who is very willing to accommodate that agenda.
Speaker 1: It's so wild that they couldn't find one instance of like of a gay couple wanting a homophobic web designer to make their fucking wedding web. Like, they couldn't. They couldn't come up with one. They had to invent it. Like, yeah, that's amazing, they said the woman. They couldn't find one person who had been fired for their religious beliefs being too conservative and that actually wanted their job back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They's just like, look that the Supreme courts are like, look, man, we got this majority. If you just put something in front of us that looks like an actual case and we'll just fucking we'll ram it through.
Speaker 2: Baby. Is that easy?
Speaker 1: But that's like they you know, they make all these high minded arguments, but like it is not like the things that they complain that like the liberal elite are making them do are not affecting them in any way, no other than the way that they like because of the narratives that they are telling each other and themselves to get themselves like ramped up trans athletes.
Speaker 2: The same thing.
Speaker 1: As Brian pointed out that these are not things that are happening. These are stories they're telling themselves to get mad and to get to feel like they're persecuted, right, And.
Speaker 2: It's kind of weird.
Speaker 3: It's kind of part and parcel with their religious beliefs of telling you spooky ghost stories to keep you in line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and of like they worship a guy who was pretty cool secuted and nailed to a cross, and so they're like very they really want, really want that to happen.
Speaker 2: To them, like that this will be had.
Speaker 3: She got she got nailed to the website making cross.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: We also found out that that woman's business was also, as they had said, quote tenuous roots in reality.
Speaker 1: Ah got nailed to the website making cross.
Speaker 2: You see, it's all of us. We're all none of it. Like you can't spell upcau they do. It's not like they're not looking.
Speaker 1: They are constantly looking for stories, reasons to be offended. They can't find any real one they know they have to make. It's so wild to me. Yeah, all America's big. There's a lot of people in America. They there's god time something remotely offensive to a conservative person happens. It's in the local News, they're going to freak the fuck out. They couldn't find one fucking example.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't matter though, because in the end they're like, we don't need to find one, We just need to make one up and just brute force this shit through the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Ye, done, done.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come right back. And we're back and speaking of made up people, Oh man, maybe I don't know, maybe maybe you know, we got Mike and Stewart and now we got Tim Scott girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is really so a lot of people Republican donors are like, I don't know about Tim Scott. He doesn't have a wife, you know, like we're all we're all about like the family, you know, like we don't line up brashlor we want a guy with a fucking wife. Uh.
Speaker 2: And he's not married.
Speaker 3: He's fifty seven and he's From what he said, the implications are that he lost.
Speaker 2: His virginity at some point. Wait what why?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why are we talking about that third between the ages of thirty and forty six? And people were like what And then also he's like, yeah, I also got a girlfriend. He's started to say recently that he has a girlfriend, but a lot of like some journalists went out and tried to figure out if Tim Scott actually has a girlfriend, because there's no shame, like if you're a fucking virgin whatever. But it's interesting, like whatever, maybe pressure he's under to maybe present himself as someone who's like no, like I might not be I'm on my way to potentially being married or whatever whatever is that work here.
Speaker 2: The fact is like a lot of people started looking into this.
Speaker 3: And they're like, there's just no evidence to say that this.
Speaker 2: This girlfriend exists.
Speaker 3: And late in late twenty twenty two, his campaign manager told the same journalist that his dating life was quote nonexistent. Then this may he's like, yeah, I got a girlfriend, And then the same journalist started like looking around and he said that he quote technically can't verify that she exists because like no one and like has agreed to share her name or make her available for an interview. Six of Scott's friends said they didn't know anything about this person, but his campaign manager was recently.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, quote personally hung out with her at the zoo.
Speaker 3: And people are like what what okay, Like what's going on?
Speaker 1: And then they like lie being made up by five different five year olds, you know, yeah, like just yeah, we were hanging out at the zoo, like is this a lie being written in mad lib?
Speaker 2: Right exactly?
Speaker 3: And then but every time they pressed Tim Scott about it, he's like, I'm not I'm not trying to drag her into this, like I'm the politician. And also if I don't have like the intentions of marrying her, I don't want to put her through that because we don't know where this is going. He said that he was set up by a church friend and they have gotten dinner before, they've played pickleball and used quote a phone app to do Bible study together.
Speaker 1: And yes, we did the nast so I don't know.
Speaker 3: We did the nasty three and a half times what me and a half?
Speaker 2: So I get that this all started.
Speaker 1: So in the early nineties or early and mid nineties when he first ran for city council in Charleston, South Carolina. He ran as a proud virgin in his thirties, like I'm proudly a virgin. And then it feels like he feels like his some political handlers, political strategists like told him he had to come up off that and like or he wasn't going to be considered a serious political candidate, right, So I don't know, but he I think he should have just stuck with it, stuck with his truth.
Speaker 3: I know some people are like apparently like there's a lot of like salacious talk about his sexuality that like Republicans have been like whispering around. He Tim Scott himself says like he thinks them focusing on the girlfriend or whatever is a way to like discredit him for being like a black Conservative, and they're they're using that to jump on it.
Speaker 2: So it's just it's it all around, folks.
Speaker 1: Right at the end of the day, the Bible is very clear abstinence until marriage, not to do so as a sin. He told The National Journal in twenty twelve. Well after, right, I'm assuming well after the time span that we're talking about here. So finally there is a gen Z glossary for gen X managers. And I'm glad I pay money to Fortune Magazine for all my always have.
Speaker 2: Dude, this is such an article written for gen X managers because you know, we work with the youth mm hm, and every now and then I'm like, what's that?
Speaker 3: What that means, but some of these phrases are like the way it's framed, or like a lot of gen X managers are struggling to communicate with their younger employees. It's like corporate jargon is isolating young workers because they don't know the meaning of phrases like deep dive.
Speaker 2: I think they do. They know what that is, they know what that is. And then they're like, we know what sleigh means.
Speaker 3: By the way, Yeah, and it goes on to say lack of familiarity with gen Z slay could potentially lead to misunderstanding. So they're like, you got to know these words, but the words they have are like these, Like some of the words a highlight are slay.
Speaker 2: I think we all know that. We've been happening since millennial Christmas sweaters slay all day.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, okay, yeah, we've we've been appropriating uh phrases from drag culture for a long time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then there's menty B that is jack B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of stress, a lot of stress out here might succumb to a ment B.
Speaker 2: Man, I have to take some alone time just to get my mind right. Having a menty B.
Speaker 1: It's giving dental it's giving something like oral B like me t oral b uh, you know, treatment, something fun like.
Speaker 2: That, like menta dent. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, oh I know, menta dent, no mental breakdown. I do love this one. I do love ment B. That sounds like it's getting it's giving Jack O'Brien. Actually it's it's giving me. It feels like this is something I may have inspired. Yeah, you definitely. It's it's just these like sort of you know, abbreviated ways of saying the other one, Kazi Lives Lives.
Speaker 2: I'm not buying. I don't think the cost of living crisis.
Speaker 1: Cost of living crisis is Kazi Lives.
Speaker 3: I've seen it come up and like a lot of write ups, but they're write ups that are about gen Z and not from gen Z.
Speaker 2: Sure you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it's it's also cute. Kasey is a fun is a fun little cute name. Yeah, meant Bed is a winner. I congratulate you on that one.
Speaker 2: Jen Cardyb's CARDI B Sister meant to be ment you know, yeavular.
Speaker 1: Murdy sue and stuff like that, where it's yeah, yeah, an adorable sounding appreciation of something dark.
Speaker 2: That seems like a euphemism. Yeah, it does about a menty be man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, thank you so much Fortune for doing this unabashed high quality journalism for us. And you can thank us for relaying this absolutely true and important information to you by writing giving us a five star review.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you to the Fortune h journalist who spoke with their stepchild who's gen Z.
Speaker 2: To try and make this hard real happen.
Speaker 1: All right, well that is going to do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow morning with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye m