Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, here, we are here, we are ready on the pilot.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad we finally get to talk about an episode. SOA's trying so hard not to on our intro podcast and I was doing a very bad job.
Speaker 1: So now I actually get to tell you.
Speaker 3: About episode one.
Speaker 5: Courtney has stories.
Speaker 2: We all have opinions because we all just watched it air date.
Speaker 6: We have some thoughts.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety two. We definitely have thoughts. You want to read the synopsis, Laura.
Speaker 6: Sure, Episode one of Melroe's plays the pilot synopsis. Handsome bachelor Billy Campbell moves in with Allison played by Courtney Thorn Smith after her roommate leaves her in a lurch. Doctor Michael Mancini's marriage to Jane could flatline because of his hectic hospital schedule, and meanwhile, Jake is starting to become a flake when he sees young Kelly Taylor as nothing more than puppy love. That My Friends was the pilot, and so Courtney Thorne Smith was the resident expert because she was there where Daphne and I. Our characters hadn't quite appeared yet, so we're gonna have so many questions for you.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy, lots of thoughts. I noticed that, back to the synopsis is like, did no one notice that Jake was dating a high school girl?
Speaker 3: We have notes about that, creepy, lots of.
Speaker 6: Notes about it. Yeah, no, we definitely noticed. It is weird, but like the synopsis doesn't bad and I it calls it poppylave, but I call it creepy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was thinking, and I'm like, no, they're not gonna get they're kissing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they're kissing.
Speaker 6: It's just okay, wait, but we do need to start at the beginning. Back, so let's let's let's let's back up.
Speaker 1: I'd like to go in order of the credits.
Speaker 4: When Grahat opens the fridge and the light is on his chest, there's a place.
Speaker 6: To john Ello put that in the opening credits.
Speaker 2: Fore like the whole season was that that was like him opening the fridge ye in the silhouette.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I don't know if you guys noticed. I know it's supposed to start at the beginning. Laura's gonna keep me on point, but later In the episode, Andrew opens.
Speaker 1: The fridge without his shirt on. So this is the theme.
Speaker 6: Well, we do have I think a shirtless count for the episode, right, did you guys? Did the guys in the right It would have been it would have been easier to count shirts on than shirts off.
Speaker 4: Fluffy rope and andrews I love.
Speaker 6: Okay, So wait a minute, let's start with like the cast, like the cast of the pilot, the series regulars, the cast of melrose Place. Josie Pizzette played Jane Mancini. She was married to Michael Mancini played by Thomas Calabro. Amy lo Caine played a character named Sandy Haring. Harley Harling okay, I'm talking. Welass played Matt Fielding. Grant Show played Jake Hansen, Andrew Shoe played Billy Campbell, Courtney down Smith who was in our presence, Alison Parker and Vanessa A.
Speaker 5: Williams played Ronda Blair.
Speaker 6: And the show was created by Darn Starr. Special appearances by Jenny Garth playing Kelly Tiller. And these are all appearances from the nine O, two and o cast members who were like the younger version and the spinoff show that we were sort of crossing over using Grant Show's character Jake was crossing over from the nine O two and oh cast, Jenny Garth playing Kelly Teller, Tory Spelling playing Donna Martin, Brian Austin Green whose voice I don't think it changed yet, even playing David's Silver Irons Eering as Steve Sanders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and guest stars.
Speaker 2: Of course, we have the Sherman Howard played your creepy boss Hal Barber and Victor Love played Daniel.
Speaker 6: This episode was directed by Howie Deutsche yeahe Deutsche Big feature director.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was paying some kind of wonderful. I didn't know that until I saw the credits on the screen when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thomson such a nice fan.
Speaker 4: That was really fun, so cool. Yeah, that was really fun. I was watching the plot. I was like, because it started off, I was like, who's Natalie, Like totally forgot that the roommate, you know, in the beginning, the roommate sneaks away. I don't remember any of that. I was like, who's Natalie That. That's when I noticed my legs. I'm going from door to door to door, knocking on doors in like a shirt.
Speaker 6: Your legs were adorable.
Speaker 4: Self conscious and I was looking at this. You showed never worn pants. Your legs were so cute.
Speaker 1: I wish i'd.
Speaker 3: Known you were adorable.
Speaker 5: You were.
Speaker 6: I wish i'd know super adorable, like classic Angeneu. You were just you were the girl it opened on you and.
Speaker 7: With your perfect blonde hair and those blue eyes.
Speaker 4: Well it wasn't perfect blonde hair because the other thing I remembered is I had gone brunette to try to get more serious roles because I was getting all I had gone brunette, and then, of course my first big job, they want me to go back to blonde.
Speaker 1: So they spent eight.
Speaker 4: Hours in a hair chair, and I have sort of like strawberry blonde Tammy here. You probably didn't notice it because you're picturing my blunt hair. The other thing I noticed I have the exact same haircut.
Speaker 3: Now, man, if it works, apparently.
Speaker 1: I have not let that go. It's exactly.
Speaker 4: I style it differently, thank god, but it's the exact same haircut.
Speaker 2: I always want to comment on the we're talking about the nineties and the culture. When I saw the shot of those boots leaving Yes, I was like, I know that star on Melrose where everyone got cowboy boots, but like fancy ones with.
Speaker 7: Colors, and like the short ones and the long way everyone.
Speaker 4: Were I still jeans, is saying yeah, and remember like the shots in between scenes in the pilot that they were the lightwashed jeans that everybody's wearing. Again, it looked it could have been shot right now.
Speaker 6: But when you said, like, I think your first line is Nat because you're calling her name and you're trying to find out where your roommate is and your first line is nat. I heard it night and I was watching with my husband, who's there, but he I was like, did she just say Matt? Did she call is your character's name the first word out of you know, out of Courtney's mouth in the show, And he's like, no, nat So, And that was like, who's nat?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: Then we find out that Natalie was your roommate, was Allison's roommate, right, and she's leaving. Allison's waking up, So I'm about to start the episode recap.
Speaker 4: Right, and apparently room close to the bone that the second my roommate leaves, I'm about to be evicted, Like how close to the boat, Like there was no cushion at all if I don't find a roommate today, like I'm on the street.
Speaker 1: That was. I can't believe I don't remember that. You don't remember that at all.
Speaker 6: It was it was high drama, and that very drama. And you were so you go to you go door to door to say have you have you seen Nat? Have you seen that?
Speaker 4: So that's how, here's the way I could have solved that problem. I could have put on pants.
Speaker 6: Before I went, Well, if the guys aren't going to wear shirts, you do not wear pants in this show. So but you were maybe fourteen years old. You were so cute. I was twenty four, So I mean you were tiny, little young cute, Oh my gosh, adorable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody was so young, weren't we.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was super young.
Speaker 6: Like I wrote down, I think Courtney is fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: But right off the bat, I like how they Darren who wrote it, really captured the camaraderie in an apartment building like that, because that didn't exist in every apartment building. And you know, I don't think and that you know, well, okay, so here's another thing. I don't know that you knew this, but I told you that Darren and I lived in an apartment. We were roommates in college. Off we went to UCLA, so he had a guy roommate and I had a girl roommate. So there was two bedroom.
Speaker 7: I think we shared the freaking bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at any rate, there was that kind of like everyone barring each other's this and that and the other thing. But that's I love that really. That really set the tone for this show. And I saw it in the pilot, how you're knocking on everyone and you know, yeah, my shirt's off, but it's not and anything other than I just need to find her.
Speaker 6: Everyone knows everyone's business.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just really like that they all knew each other. We're, you know, having coffee. You need your coffee. I just love that vibe that sets the show on its course of like all being there for each other until we start until episode sixteen each.
Speaker 1: Other we start sleeping with each other. And to start out with such a good point that was so sweet.
Speaker 6: Well, you're knocking on everyone's doors, and it's a great way for the audience to meet all the characters one by one whatever and get a sense. And you know, there's cute little Doug Savant with his coffee. Yeah he had oh so we were starting to get you know, of course, when Grant opens the door, he's shirtless because yes, yeah, you know, might as well put him shirtless and everything because I because I mean everything. So yeah, so he's he's opening the door shirtless. I think so was my Michael, who was you know, answering the door with Jane. I think he was also shirtless. And then Doug opens the door and like I think maybe a robe opened or something is like an indication of shirtless, you know, but he's like the nice guy. But and then you know, you start of get a sense of who these characters are. And right off the bat, why was Michael played by Thomas Glauber. Why was he being such a jerk to you about like, ah, did you notice that? Like he already decided I'm going to be a jerk and go, yeah, better come.
Speaker 3: Up with the rent?
Speaker 4: What was happening? Like, were we just on the brink? Do we pay the last possible day of every month? And my son wandered in for a minute while I was watching the show, and they said, you know, four hundred dollars, Chat goes four hundred dollars for an apartment in LA that's amazing. Yeah, yeah, right, we were sharing a two bedroom apartment with a pool.
Speaker 1: Apparently eight hundred dollars, but amazing.
Speaker 6: We learn about the rent, the amount of the rent while you're driving down the road writing on your standing. I mean, if that, if that isn't a sign of the time, it's a precursor to texting all driving. But I'm actually gonna do it with the pen and paper.
Speaker 5: You caught that, I caught that.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's really it's absurd.
Speaker 2: I mean even though we used to, like I used to drive and change outfits from audition to audition.
Speaker 6: When I was you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You'd have something in.
Speaker 2: The back or your yoga mat or whatever, but I would change on the four or five driving from like you know, the hussy to the nun or whatever.
Speaker 7: Literally, well, traffic was so bad you were barely moving.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like a sign of the time, I'm not just texting. Yeah, I'm writing with a pen and paper and maybe a propos. Right after that, you accidentally hit your driver's say door into into my box, into your boss.
Speaker 1: He played my boss.
Speaker 4: Then, but later Edward Edwards played my boss. But you're only remember I was like, that's not Edward Edwards, who I remember. I remember his name because.
Speaker 1: Obviously it was whatever. I was like, that's not my boss, that was my other boss.
Speaker 6: How how Barber was the character's name? Yes, was super smarmy.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I'd totally forgotten that Billy was a writer. Did you guys remember that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: I remember, you knew that. What I did not, and we're not there yet, But what I did not remember was that he was a Arthur Murray dance instruct The character was that is hysterical?
Speaker 1: Is that the cutest thing?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: So do I say my life? I can't say my favorite line?
Speaker 6: Yet I think we I think we have to get there. So like we follow, We follow Alison as she gets to D and D and and all of you must have noticed, like the D and D establishing a shot the exteriors. Those are Spellings offices on Wolfshire, right, So they used I remember it, yes, as the establishing shot for D and D the advertising firm, right. So yeah, and how you know smarmy how immediately starts flirting with cute little receptionist Allison, which is just like ew right off the.
Speaker 4: Bat, which Alson doesn't know. I don't under she's like, I'm like, sure, I'd love to go to that party with you.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: How does she not know?
Speaker 1: Is she not seeing what we're seeing?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, you have to go back to that age. Let's not forget.
Speaker 2: You have like thirty years of insight and experience and wisdom and on it. So go back and you're what in your twenties the character, and I don't think that she would know.
Speaker 5: And by the way, he wasn't flirting.
Speaker 7: First off, he was being boss but saying little dropping little.
Speaker 5: Things like oh well was it to my wife?
Speaker 2: And these little things that's not flirting. That's like throwing it out there and see if you bite, and then you didn't. So he just kind of like God even more.
Speaker 4: That's that's a time of that age too. Do you remember this as young actor? I'm going off keeper, but remember this as young actors. You'd get called into meetings what are they called, h general You get called into a general meeting and you're sitting there with an executive of some sort and all a sudden they'd say, do you like sushi? And you're like, I don't think we're talking about a project, are we didn't that happen to you. That reminded me of this thing with Hallie. She called into general meetings all the time. It's not like they try anything, but it was like, I'm not here to talk about a project. I'm here, you know, well, I think you're eating like a first date.
Speaker 7: It's they wouldn't do that because that's two forward.
Speaker 2: But it's this casuality, like casual about things we can talk about.
Speaker 5: We cross the personal in the business.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yes, And I think it is a sign of the times like that we can look at it now and go ow, you know, but it wasn't you know then, it was just the way it was, but or the expectation was you're just supposed to smile and be nice about it. Yeah, like as a young girl, you're just and he was in a position of power and whatever, so like yeah, but just I mean, right off the bat, the character is so from our point of view now, he's so obviously smarty, right, and you're you're just like the sweet girl going okay, sure, whatever you need and like just trying to like secure your job and yeah, all that stuff. So it's just such an interesting perspective to look at it.
Speaker 4: And times were so different I mean as much as we had a weird thing on Maro's place, because it's the guys who were topless all the time. I remember when our costumer Denise said to me, I got a note from on up high shorter, brighter, tighter on Alison.
Speaker 1: Oh, like you couldn't say that today. It was such a time, right, And.
Speaker 4: I didn't mind, like the crew guys say hey, sweetie, hay, sweetheart, like it didn't bother me. I don't think that would happen today, right, Like this.
Speaker 6: Was so much nice, wouldn't happen today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so different, the.
Speaker 5: The shorter skirts.
Speaker 2: And I remember Heather, our dear Heather Lockley, or like like she just fed them like a glove. She's like, hike it up, you know, Like but she was still kind of tomboy, is she even in those little but you and Heather and then all of your guest stars, bosses or whatever would come in.
Speaker 7: Now it was like almost the blazer ended here and the skirt was like a few inches younger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wasn't. Joe didn't get those wardrobe notes.
Speaker 1: No, you were all in black.
Speaker 2: You were and kind of like flowy and esoteric, bohemian or whatever, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 5: It kind of switched around, but yeah, I was comfortable in pants.
Speaker 1: I still end.
Speaker 6: All right. So we're gonna so from Allison's experience at D and D we cut to the exterior of the Burger Joint where Kelly, Donna, and David, these are the nine O two and zero characters are in the car outside the burger joint. Did you guys recognize what was that? Was that a Hamburger hamlet with the burger thing on top? What was that place? Was it an actual place on Melrose? I was trying to figure it out. I was like shaped like a hand.
Speaker 4: I was noticing that we all looked the same age, like that Ion Zering looked the same age as Grant.
Speaker 1: That's what I was noticing.
Speaker 4: That he was supposed to be in high school and they're having this thing where Amy o'caine's character was hitting on him, but it didn't look crazy like they look the same age, like you buy how much we buy into Like I think Jenny at the time, she obviously wasn't a teenager. She came off very young though she was the I think she was the youngest one in that cast, maybe next to Tory, right, she actually was closer to age, but she was of age, which knowing that made it a little.
Speaker 1: Less creepy to me. But the fact that they actually had them kiss, like now you might have them flirting, but he would say no, no, no, little lady, like they actually had a romance. Yeah, that was so surprising to me.
Speaker 6: Well, and she was that character was like so in pursuit of Jake, who just seemed to that they had Jake be like so tormented should he shouldn't he? Like I thought this thing was like, dude, she's seventeen.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, Like, ye would not have been tormented, right, it would have been like no, thank you?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. But like this, you know, this character was like this was a perfectly normal sort of debate that he was having. Is shouldn't he with this girl? Our times?
Speaker 5: But guys perspective, it is probably not crazy.
Speaker 7: It's probably not like what's the difference between seven?
Speaker 5: I mean besides.
Speaker 6: Legally, well there's a lot of problem so in other words, it's kind of a big difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and that's brought out that Amy Locaine character tells him and stuff.
Speaker 4: But you wouldn't you wouldn't have that many high school kids going to go after this motorcycle guy to well, would you have I'm trying to think when I was in high school, I don't know what. No, No, we were like like a sophomore to senior. Seemed like a crazy age leap to us.
Speaker 6: I don't know it, like somebody living in his own apartments, right, like with all that stuff in it like that. That's the kind I will say.
Speaker 4: Growing up in the seventies, no parents were home ever, so it was like we all had our own houses right in the seventies in northern California, Like basically everyone had their own house, but their own apartment. We didn't know those guys, no, right, Like even in our early twenties, everyone had like seven roommates.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So when Kelly goes to look for Jake at his apartment, that's when we're introduced to the to Amy Lokaine character. She's sunning by the pool, right, and she's in that red bathing suit talk for Jake. She talks to Kelly and she finds out that Kelly's in high school, and so she has a little dialogue with Kelly, and that's the far and that's the first time you hear amy Ocaine's Southern accent and get to know, Oh, this is a girl who's moved to La and she's got a very interesting Southern accent, like she wants to do.
Speaker 4: You remember the pool, so it was a sound stage, so there was no natural light, and do you remember having to be there like in bathing suits in the fake light? And that was when my son came in and I said, I said, you know this wasn't outside, and he goes.
Speaker 1: I can tell you, swear to god, Oh you're kidding me.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 4: Remember we couldn't had the cameras, couldn't shoot up because you'd see the lights.
Speaker 1: And then season two or three, when we got some money they had, they created like a false scrim in the What was it? Why could we shoot up?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Was it a fact? I think some reason?
Speaker 5: Maybe just higher up in one direction. Do you remember the foliage.
Speaker 6: They could move it right, yeah?
Speaker 4: But why could we suddenly have sky in the background, because you remember, we couldn't have no one could be talking down to anybody, not emotionally.
Speaker 6: But we did we have a skyscram like just a fake maybe.
Speaker 4: I remember when they first got the sky and they were so excited. Maybe they had it over the whole thing. No, because you need the lights.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I remember I remember having to be quote outside and inside and it was so weird.
Speaker 7: It felt like a play.
Speaker 2: Even just watching it, didn't it feel like that was a stage like a play in a way. I don't know the whole set, just watching it this time, seeing where were the.
Speaker 4: Practical sets because my apartment was my apartment, Billy's in my apartment was my apartment. But people who were upstairs, where did they build your practical around?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It was just right nearby. I mean, eventually we had two sound stages. The whole apartment was right because we had like I think four and five or something with those the actual numbers that that really you Wow, I could be making that up, but they were. They were just like setups, like a sound stage of the interiors just right nearby.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for the upstairs apartments. But like Allison story was really like the primary like the way to get in the world of Meloye's place was through the Allison characters. Ju Right, So we're following her journey of trying to find a new roommate, trying to hold onto her job, and then the next scene is Allison is unloading her trunk and Billy Campbell played by Andrew Shoe, stops by to ask about the apartment. He's ostensibly heard about the apartment somehow through this random roommate aide naturally, but he stops by and he's immediately like cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know why.
Speaker 4: I must have been directed to play it super annoyed. I'm like, would you be annoyed if Andrew you.
Speaker 3: Wipe you.
Speaker 7: Find something and my apartment?
Speaker 4: Maybe literally in real life I was saying, hey, there, but in my character was yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I was so annoyed.
Speaker 4: I guess I had to be otherwise, why wouldn't I just say yes, please move in right now?
Speaker 6: And and I mean just could not be more adorable. And he was scripted like he just had like the best scenes day.
Speaker 1: Now I can tell the andrews Shoe audition story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, okay, good, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see finally I'm up. Oh go, So that sweet Stephen Fanning who was wonderful. It didn't work out. Don't know why sometimes that happens. So then in the middle of shooting the pilot, they had to recast the billy character. So this was like on a Saturday. So we're shooting fourteen, sixteen hours a day.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 4: Like in the pilot, for whatever reason, I'm in every scene. And we said, okay, we have to have these auditions. We're gonna have them at Aaron Spelling's house. So do you know Aaron Spelling's famous house in like Beverly Wood Bell, Yeah, Homihills. So you drive up to this big, fancy house and were in his library. So it's a huge library, like something out of Hogwarts, right, and you look there were all these leatherbound books. And I went close to look at the leatherbound books and their scripts. So he has leather bound Fantasy Island scripts and love bound scripts. Isn't that amazing library? We love boat scripts. Walls and Walls did a million show volumes, right, leather bound volumes of every single script.
Speaker 1: So they're probably have Malroth's place too. And all these guys waiting, and I'm sitting in this room with all these executives and I'm just sitting there and he's being very would you like some water, sweetheart?
Speaker 6: Were there lots of actors?
Speaker 1: There were all these.
Speaker 4: Actors in the other room, and they came in one by one and they were all good. And this one guy came in and he was a really good, serious actor and he had sort of a Grant vibe like he was sort of tough, but like a really good experienced actor. And all the guys in the room are going, yeah, yeah, yeah, great. You know, Andrew didn't have a lot of experience, so it's because of his shoes brother, but just absolutely adorable, right, natural, that energy, natural, and he just is like still to this day, he's just an adorable, sweet, a brilliant man. Right. And he comes in and all of the executives are like, yeah, you know, the first guy, the tough guy, the tough guy, the tough guy.
Speaker 1: And Aaron goes, yeah, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think you guys are right, but I want you to there's something about that Andrew shoe guy.
Speaker 1: I just thought there was something.
Speaker 4: But I totally agree with the guys were one hundred percent right, But I just want to kind of see him again. I'm kind of curious about him. And then he were Andrew beck in and I watched like I was watching, I watched him turn all of these executives around, so they're going, Andrew, shoot, I don't know where You're sure Andrews, and Andrewsho, Andrew Shoe.
Speaker 5: I watched it.
Speaker 1: I was like, and I think that.
Speaker 4: I think that day we'll ask Andrew when he comes on. I think they called him in and said you have it. Wow, Like I think that day, Like in Aaron Spelling's Home and library, Andrew got the part.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 6: That's such a I can't wait for him to hear him talk about it too.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'd love to here he does it. He tells the story adorably, but it was so crazy to watch him, watch how he would play these people and turn them on. And he was right because the other guy was wonderful. I honestly don't know his name, but it would have been like he and Brant were so similar, and Grant and Andrew were so opposite and it worked so well, right, like that a tough guy and then this sweet guy.
Speaker 1: It was just such a perfect perfect match. And he could see it. Yeah, he was so good at spotting talent right and making that the mix of people.
Speaker 6: That's so great.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So here's cute Andrew Shoe Billy Campbell Alison for some reason being a complete bitch, and he asked you to see the apartment and Allison says no, and he gives you because of his numbers and an idiot WoT it up and throw it in thees. You were an idiot, not gonna lie. But from there we go to we ended up in Shooters Bar, and girl, right, that bar was a set.
Speaker 5: Iconic when I love shooting in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come in because were we at the gate and he takes my didn't or didn't come in that day.
Speaker 6: The first time you say no, you can't come in, you can't see the apartment. He tries to give you his number. You're like, yeah, no, you up the number and you go inside and you leave and he, you know, sort of leaves the apartment complex. So the next scene is then cutting to Shooters, which is a it's not an actual bar. It was the bar that was built for Melrose and it was named for Melrose. We had a lot of good like sort of swag with shooter stuff on it over the years, Right, didn't you guys have like the drink tumbler, Shooters Shooters Bar made like shirts, the T shirt we.
Speaker 1: All had the glasses. Remember the tumblers said shooters.
Speaker 6: And Jake is teaching a blonde to play pool. A blonde who when I from a distance the.
Speaker 3: Wide shot and I thought that looked like Cony.
Speaker 6: I like, yeah, which changeable one of ours?
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 6: It was a blonde. It was not one of her characters.
Speaker 5: Sandy was coming to tell Jake.
Speaker 7: By the way, there's been a high school hanging around the apartment.
Speaker 2: Nice high schooler, Jake haskel Jike, do you do you remember me?
Speaker 4: Because when I I seem to remember there was debate about her keeping the accent.
Speaker 1: I don't know that she kept it. We'll find out in the future, and we will remember them discussing it.
Speaker 6: I have to say that was one of the things while watching it with Doug. He said that there was ongoing discussion about yes, and I remember that she keep it?
Speaker 1: Should she drop it?
Speaker 6: How is it going? Is it working? It was a thing and there were times when I could not understand what she was saying due to the accent.
Speaker 2: And about what I loved about it is that it remind me that this show is not reality. She was this iconic blonde who came from the South, you know, it could have been from the Midwest anywhere. She came out and she was gonna.
Speaker 5: Be a stuff.
Speaker 2: She was the actress, yeah, classes, and she went to acting school and she was a waitress and she was just She's an archetype.
Speaker 5: That's what this show is filled with.
Speaker 7: That's why Jake and Billie had to be different.
Speaker 2: They couldn't be the same, like Hero, you know, hercules guy, just like you know, we had the crazy redhead, we had, you know, the tough burnette Joe comes in. We had Ronda played by Vanessa which we didn't go over, but those outfits with her aerobics classes. You know, I thought it was very archetypal yea character, which I really totally liked because they.
Speaker 7: Didn't get really nitty gritty reality.
Speaker 5: You know, this was a school.
Speaker 4: What you're pointing out too, though, is when they brought in the different archetypes like you and Heather and you that's when it worked. When we were all like we said earlier, and we're all just nice kids trying to make it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it didn't work.
Speaker 4: There was no conflict. We have all these nice kids knocking on each other's door, right right, Okay, well I can have that in my real life, you need to have.
Speaker 6: Somebody needed to start up.
Speaker 4: Somebody needed to stir it up. And it can't just be being mean to the really nice boy who says hello to you.
Speaker 5: They need to stir it up.
Speaker 2: And then the writers needed to jump on that and really stirred up. You would have been canceled, and they did so.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so Sandy's warning warning Jake that if you you know, if you're gonna pursue this, you're gonna have to deal with the consequences of your actions. So then back to Allison's apartment where the montage of potential roommates at Allison's door who are not a good fit, and we see a hysterical.
Speaker 4: Like hilarious which is also dates right, it's also that doesn't that doesn't age well.
Speaker 1: You know, you have the guy who says I'm about to be a woman and.
Speaker 4: Wow, the things that were okay then that wouldn't be okay now that mohawk like wow, we thought those we thought the older one funny to be older.
Speaker 6: Like also like another sign of the time that they all just get to come knocking on your door to I just love it.
Speaker 1: I pull it right over. Yeah, yeah, no, I'll be home alone.
Speaker 6: Come on over, come on over, yep. Uh yeah, So that was funny and funny. And that's when Michael drops off an eviction notice yeah, like all of a sudden, Nope.
Speaker 1: This is the same day or maybe the next day. Yeah, but he does.
Speaker 6: Suggest to write a bad check to cover the rent.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: What I also love is that none of my dear friends in the building said, why don't we each loan you one hundred bucks to get.
Speaker 1: You through this time? Like ere like, sorry, too bad?
Speaker 5: But what did we have?
Speaker 1: What did they have it? I guess nobody had money. I guess that's none of it. We were all very close to the edge.
Speaker 4: I guess it was maybe the dichotomy between you know, actually I think it was a dichotomy between Moros and nine two is they were rich kids and we were.
Speaker 1: Not struggling at the part struggling struggling.
Speaker 4: So that's why we start with the money. Because we couldn't scrape together four hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah right.
Speaker 4: Nobody even tried to help, which, you know, maybe that's why I was so cranky because nobody was trying.
Speaker 6: To well, but the doctor or it was in med school or was he an actual doctor By that, Michael, he was an intern. Okay, he's the one who's been he's acting as the landlord for the building and he's also the manager. But he's also suggesting that you write a bad check. So in the beginning, Michael Mancini was already acting shady. He was suggesting to Alison just write a bad check. And then later in the episode, it turns turns out, you know that whatever, there was a bad check or whatever, but he's he's suggesting that that's his solution.
Speaker 1: Lord do we ever meet the landlord?
Speaker 4: Apparently the landlord was awful, apparently right, well, I think at all, Michael Mancini was trying to steer Alison wrong anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, and also he was a jerk because then he exits and he's like, come on, Bubby, let's go, come on, honey, let's come back to bed.
Speaker 3: He was come back in here, come back to bed, like talent, Jane, what to do you know?
Speaker 5: Like, I'm like, ew, yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So just like foreshadowing, foreshadowing exactly, they knew exactly which direction to say the character. So anyway, back to Shooters, where Alison sees Sandy at Shooters and asks where she can find Billy. So that's where you go back to the Shooters and find him playing pool, right, Yes, and now you're ready to ask him to be your roommate. Yeah, and you guys had that cute little like dance, Well I already have one. No, I don't, and it's just like your chemistry and you're like, you know, meet cute relationship already was like, oh come on, this is done deal too. Super cute people being super cute with each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was adorable, and maybe it's better that I started off so mean, because then he's so adorable you can't not respond to You were. I think it was the me being so mean to such an objectively sweet, adorable person.
Speaker 1: I was watching, going, why am I?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were?
Speaker 3: You were definitely I'm thinking the same thing, like what But you know what I.
Speaker 4: Forgot when when I show him the fridge, which is coming up very quickly, and I have labels on everything.
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh, so that was the.
Speaker 4: Character super uptight, organized, ridgid, super organized.
Speaker 1: Forgotten that about Alison.
Speaker 5: You're wondering.
Speaker 1: Decline is so clear in my mind.
Speaker 3: I forgot the suitcases She's like, I gotta get out of I can't live with this.
Speaker 5: I'm not paying for this. Pretty uptight, I must say.
Speaker 6: So, I mean basically where we left off is then we see when Michael goes back and he's with Jane in bed. Is this where Jane is kissing his toe? I just have to say, because when that, it's a commercial break and it comes back right and it opens on Josie like actually kissing a toe, and Doug and I were so and it was so Melrose is pushing and we're like, did we just see that? Did she actually have to do that?
Speaker 1: And she did.
Speaker 6: We had to go back, we had to rewind it and make sure watch it again. She crawled up and she was so cute and so adorable.
Speaker 3: And he just prove it, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: And then he just continues to be a little bit like smug and weird, gorgeous, begging.
Speaker 4: Do you have that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jane, you deserve better, all right. So then Ronda is where we meet Ronda and she's peeking through the window to see Billy going into Alison's apartment. So she is learning.
Speaker 4: Remember we forgot to say that she did say that she saw her sneak out and hadn't stopped her, right, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So Ronda seems to have a little bit of an eye on what else is going on in the building.
Speaker 5: She's like, who's the guy, the cute guy.
Speaker 7: Ronda says that yep and uh.
Speaker 6: And she's also shaming Sandy for sleeping until noon.
Speaker 5: That's a lot of energy.
Speaker 6: Sort of funny. But back in Allison and Billy's apartment, Alison walks in to find Billy shirtless. Yes yeah yang on the shirtless yay winter winner. Alison is the winner, and Billy asks Allison if she's told them. Okay, this was a super cute scene because it was all like the on Tundra, like have you told your parents yet? Oh no, but I think they would be supportive, like like super cute dialogue with super cute couple, like flirty but not supposed to be. And then the thing about the food sharing, which is it was just so chiming and adorable and labeled not sharing.
Speaker 2: You mean the food not sharing. I don't want your peanut butter, you don't get to touch mine, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think those some of the like sometimes in a pilot where you have these very strong character choices and then they fade because I don't remember that about Alison going forward, right, I don't remember seeing the labels again.
Speaker 1: That she was pretty a cute idea to have that character.
Speaker 6: It was, Yeah, it was a cute dynamicte I do it.
Speaker 5: And then Melo just left her.
Speaker 1: Boy did it?
Speaker 6: And uh so then Ronda, Ronda is talking with Matt who swimming in the pool. So guess what to be swimming in the pool, you have to be sure less.
Speaker 4: And you remember if the pool was really warm? Did you guys talk about it? Because I was trying to remember how warm the pool was as people were swimming in it.
Speaker 6: I remember when I eventually got in the pool and your wedding rider there was that, but it.
Speaker 5: Was it was warm.
Speaker 6: It was not a prop like I never felt like it was a cold situation. But like Doug said that, he remembered and maybe you can corroborate or not that because they had dug this pool in a sound stage. They had dug out into the floor and built this pool in the sound stage. They'd spent so much money on it. Mister Spelling was like, we need to use the pool. Make sure people are in the pool in every episode, and so every episode he was like, who's going this week?
Speaker 3: Oh that's so right. Well, they sure piled you all into the pilot.
Speaker 6: Right, so I think they were the people were in the pool like three or four times in the pilot at least, but it was like, get our money's worth out of that pool. So yeah.
Speaker 2: The next scene when Billy's dancing with the flower court, Oh that was the cute you love doing that scene?
Speaker 5: Do you remember?
Speaker 1: Daly forgot? But watching it, I was like, that is the cutest. And I think that was one of the audition scenes.
Speaker 3: Oh really, and no wonder he won the job.
Speaker 1: He was adorable, adorable, I know, So was it?
Speaker 5: I don't imagine it being hard.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, you as the character getting lit up by him and opening up to that kind of like oh I like him and just using that chemistry and using your feelings or did you know.
Speaker 1: We were dating by episode like two.
Speaker 7: To you guys actually dating?
Speaker 5: We were actually.
Speaker 4: Flirting, Like any flirting you see was actually we were actually flirting.
Speaker 6: It's so funny because they're writing the character is like not flirting, but it's impossible not to because it's just such cute yeah, chemistry everything.
Speaker 1: As you know, he's so adorable, like is a person, Yeah, so adorable.
Speaker 6: That dancing scene because he has to do it twice. First he's dancing when you walk in on and he's dancing like just kind of on his own and whatever, just like with wild abandon and like good for him for such commitment and like such, like you know, he was not that experience as an actor, right because he was he was a soccer player, he's or whatever, and he's but he was just so natural and so willing to that and it was so charming. So and then and Doug was watching it, going, wait, I thought he was dancing with the Mop And then sure enough later he comes in he has another scene where he's dancing with the Mop and he's like, yep, I remember it correctly. Yeah, So that was cute. And then of course we're back to Kelly showing up at Jake's apartment, and this is where you know, they're in this like sort of struggle of like should I or shouldn't I? And it's.
Speaker 2: You know what, it's so funny because this is such a cliche way for a guy to act after being with, you know, leading on a younger girl. I mean not even there, not even using their big age difference.
Speaker 1: But it's just like, oh, I.
Speaker 5: Don't remember us. What's the line? I don't remember I was planning a future together.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's so like for all the young people now they got away with that ship back then and we went home ashamed and like what did I do wrong? And it's like that doesn't I hope that doesn't happen anymore because I would be like so indignant now, you know what I mean, Like in this day and age, I don't think they could.
Speaker 1: Get away with stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: Ye are smarter now than we were. Honestly, I think that smarter.
Speaker 5: But that was one of the lines.
Speaker 7: I don't remember us planning a future together?
Speaker 1: And yeah she had she had the line that that, uh, what's the problem, Jake. Don't you think I'm all out for women everywhere?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Poor baby jokes, you know.
Speaker 6: And speaking of that scene, though, another one of Grant's lines that he had to deliver was I hate moral dilemmas. He had to say it out loud soap operas, though, so jes became the audience doesn't know what I'm going through I hate moral Alemma. Yeah, yeah, right, that was his moral dilemma.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 6: Okay. So then they end up scene by kissing passionately by the pool. Did anybody do a kiss count? Do we remember to do a kiss count for this episode?
Speaker 1: I didn't have to remember many in this episode. It gets it gets more later.
Speaker 6: I think I forgot. I was counting on one of you to remember, Shirtless I counted. So then Allison was even for work from Ronda comes by asks her about Billy, and Alison complains about Billy again you stink her me, complaining that he's messy Alice, all right, whatever, But Ronda goes to her exercise class, and we need to talk about this because then another sign of the times her cardio funk love.
Speaker 1: Did you cringe when they had the closes up on her?
Speaker 6: Like, I was like, wait, the butt, the butt, the butt? Yeah, they they went up twice. They went up in the butt and then they came back to it. I have to say, I couldn't you And it wasn't short.
Speaker 5: It did like it lasted. I'm just like, okay, we got it.
Speaker 3: And the guy looking at the girls in front of them and they're.
Speaker 1: To be quite so close.
Speaker 6: To be clear, it wasn't Vanessa's, but it was some actor who was in the scene, which, by the way, was that scene shot in the production office of the sound stage. They cleared it out. Do you remember this? Doug said, Look that it was the production office space of our sound stages, and they dressed it up go art department like an aerobics studio lot. And they must have had to rehearse that choreography and do all those aerobics and cardio funk things. But then that was the shot they chose to do. Is this you know actress who just appears in one scene and they show her butt twice, like from a very awkward angle. It really whoa close up And then yeah, see that was just a way to do that. We see, Yeah, sign of the times for sure, because that would not.
Speaker 2: But can we just pull away from that and like, how fun is it seeing those outfits those aerobics outfits the belt the Leoitar took a cardiofunk class in the nineties.
Speaker 7: I took Jane Fonda's workout on Robertson same did you.
Speaker 3: I went to Karen.
Speaker 6: I went to Karen Voight and Jane Karen on Losienica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Losa and Santa Monica, and then also Jane fond Is on Robertson Jane found to work out.
Speaker 6: So Vanessa's Karen Farms. Yeah, that was the that was the real deal in the nineties.
Speaker 4: That was actually like former I dare you to try to do her video now, Yeah, it's like a thousand leg lifts so.
Speaker 6: Hard, but if you have the belt, it's probably better if you belt your belt.
Speaker 1: That makes a big difference.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, so that a Rubbics class is really something and he she ends up having a guy ask her out from taking her Rubbics class. So we then circle back to D and D where Allison is asked by hal Barber about going to an event.
Speaker 1: Very good news and yet we'll get back to that.
Speaker 6: Well, it sounded like good news to Allison at the time, but the audience is going, Alison, do you not see.
Speaker 2: The audience now or don't you think the audience back then was like She's yeah, I mean I watched it.
Speaker 5: You can look at it through.
Speaker 1: Through the way. How played it? The audience knew it was. He wasn't subtle, he was not he was really playing it.
Speaker 6: But I do think that the times were different, like because the character's written as like she just needs to go smile and go, oh great, thank you, I'm so excited. Like the expectation is you're just supposed to be, you know, ignoring all those signs and and just like taking like the gift of this invitation.
Speaker 1: As I was thinking, I was so much nicer to him than I was to Sweet.
Speaker 6: Billy I was watching, which is like Barry Macks. Oh boy.
Speaker 4: So then Rondo stops by Jane store. Was that the makeup was that the wardrobe trailer her store looked like the wardrobe trailer to me.
Speaker 6: Interesting, it seemed bigger than that because it was two rooms, right, didn't they go? They kept going from one to another.
Speaker 1: I thought it looked like the wardrobe trailer to me.
Speaker 5: I don't think so that's so small.
Speaker 1: But or the room, remember we had the wardrobe rooms upstairs and buff maybe that mabe it was, yeah, that's what it looked like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but that was cute. And and Josie and Vanessa had like a ton of dialogue and they're going back and forth, and yeah, it was really cute. So then back at the burger joint. Donna can't believe Saney high schoolers yep, yep, And I can't believe Jake ignored you and you're still going to pursue it blah blah blah blah. But back to Billy and Allison, where Billy's dancing again. So this is the second time we were dancing with the mop and he's so cute, and you learn Allison learns that he's an Arthur Murray dance teacher, which is so funny to me. That is not something I recalled at all.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember it last.
Speaker 7: All probably did last.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the ways.
Speaker 5: And then it's so.
Speaker 1: Funny down to Billy, I will live with you. That does not mean I have to dance with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but with a little cute little KOI like cute little glisten in your eye, Oh my gosh. And so then there's the shooter scene where all the high schoolers show up to sort of back Kelly up as she's trying to have.
Speaker 1: A date with Jacob.
Speaker 5: This motorcycle kind of up on him.
Speaker 6: Kind of yeah, but that's where I was struck by Ian Zeering's mullet. Yes as maybe the best worst hair of the episode that stood out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great sign of the times.
Speaker 6: Yes, and that's where I noticed that maybe Brian Austin Green's voice had he was super young too, Yeah, it just seems really young. But yeah, So Sandy learns that Ian has a very famous actress mom, and she's, you know, gaga over that. But back at the apartment building, Jane is planning for a romantic night. She's made a nice dinner, a nice bottle of wine. When Michael comes home from work. Did you notice it was eleven thirty at night.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking that's too late to eat, but I'm five o'clock or did they say that's what they said, it's eleven thirty at night.
Speaker 5: Oh oh that you were listening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, God bless her.
Speaker 4: Like the way he stays up till eleven thirty to cook dinner after doctors hours.
Speaker 1: Wow. But when the phone rang and still can't she still can't get laid, no what And she just couldn't.
Speaker 6: Be sweeter and he couldn't be like yeah, it's hilarious, and he just couldn't be less interested. So when the phone rings in the middle of their dinner, my first impulse is like, well, it's not Sydney because she's not there yet, because usually that's what it is. It's like, uh, Sydney is in jail again something like that, but it's not as ye wait for wait for it, because it will be Sydney down the line. But now it's the landlord and there's been a bounced check which was bail.
Speaker 4: Was also like you would never answer the phone at eleven thirty. That was in the time, the thing about then we answered the phone when the phone rang, went oh phone, that's all we had, Like you never could you never thought of not answering your phone the phone with thirty at door.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that of course was Billy's bounced rent check. Yes, so there's that. What's gonna happen if they can't pay their rest the next morning?
Speaker 2: Jane in the pool, I just I can see your point about Aaron Spelling saying get him in the bowl because.
Speaker 5: You know she's in the pool. Yeah, you can buye a chat with her and.
Speaker 1: You're I think there was more in the pilot.
Speaker 4: I think over time we started to take a stand and also then you'd have to redo hair and makeup, and nobody wanted the time to redo hair and makeup. Remember, because there were so many of us, So I think that that lessoned and the pilot were like, sure, i'll do it, I'll do it, yes, service to spelling.
Speaker 1: I'll do it. And then people sort of backed away from it.
Speaker 6: But like in this scene, Jake comes up and he's threatening to throw Alison in, and hair and makeup is probably going no no, no, no, no no no no, like no no, and so you in turn you push Jake in instead, and Jake is the one who has to go in the pool because, let me guess, is he shirtless? As a matter of fact, he was, yes, oh stress and I've lost county. No, I'll give you a final talent at the end, unless anybody's keeping track along with me. Then back at D and D at the advertising agents, see how surprises ow Oh wait no, here's where he gets invited to the thing. So there was all these things leading up to the actual invitation. But now he's finally inviting our and cheese going and Ronda is getting excited about her night out because she has a new dress to wear and she.
Speaker 1: Wants to a handsome guy. Yeah, we all had such high hopes for that date.
Speaker 6: And I love their relationship like Ronda and Matt's like friendship and like she goes straight to Matt like and he's he's like totally adorably appreciative of her looking great and wishing her well and having a great night. And that was such a cute relation to rible, don't do anything I wouldn't do, Okay, Matt. So then we're at the hel Hell's taking Alison too, the client work party, and yeah, and Alison's such an adorable in her polka dot dress, being so grateful to be there and so excited about the people she might meet and what could possibly go wrong? Could they possibly go wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And then but on the other hand, Ronda and her date are having dinner on Melrose. Was Kafy Luna? Was that an actual restaurant? Was that a name that we changed her?
Speaker 5: Cafe?
Speaker 1: Cafe Luna was a restaurant.
Speaker 6: It was an actual rest Yeah, yeah, we remember when we used We used like regular locations and like we went to place. Yeah, but their date goes wrong because he's really only interested in proposing a multi level marketing level marketing.
Speaker 4: That was so heartbreaking that moment, right, she was devastated. Yeah, that was that was catfishing in the nineties. They wouldn't steal your money, but they try to sell you multi level.
Speaker 6: I only see you as an opportunity for my multi level mictings.
Speaker 1: That was sad.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So then the other couple sort of struggling is Kelly and Jake as Kelly one more time is trying to girl.
Speaker 5: She does not get the third or fourth time. I was like, are you serious?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just not that into you. Yeah, that movie hadn't come out yet, or the book where we couldn't help.
Speaker 6: Her then, yeah, she had not read it. But he did answer the door while pulling a tank top on, so he's like, all right, I'm not doing this shirtless. I'm just gonna have a tank top on. So yeah, then but in Alison and Billy's apartment, he is.
Speaker 5: He shirtless for this?
Speaker 6: When Billy sticks out the bed, Yeah, shirtless on the bed. Okay, when hell comes in and he's just super smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super super smart comes after her, and why is he at her apartment?
Speaker 1: Why did she let him pick? But that was before right, people picked us up.
Speaker 4: I don't remember I never met anybody for first date. They always picked me up at my apartment, right, such a different time. Then.
Speaker 6: Did you see how he was walking Alison across the courtyard. He had you by the elbow and he was like steering you like okay, this way, young lady to the principal character just sort of really apartment yeah, like walking out across the courtyard up to the apartment door.
Speaker 5: This isn't there kind of like this this assumed.
Speaker 2: I know this is hard to say now because we're in twenty twenty four, but he's your boss, this is work, this is safe.
Speaker 5: I'm fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just assume, you know, he's my senior, Like.
Speaker 5: It's you just don't. It's so weird all these things.
Speaker 7: It's confusing because it's so confused.
Speaker 5: I remember thinking that.
Speaker 3: Like you know, and oh, yeah, well he's my boss or.
Speaker 4: Well that's why when these stories came out about women being taken advantage of and be like, how did she not know? It's like, because we had an assumption that this is a person I respect, they're my boss, they wouldn't. It was surprising. You're right, we were more naiven. It was a very different time. So I think when people roll their eyes and say how why didn't she know? We didn't like we thought there was an understanding that there's going to be respect here. So I do understand why Alison was surprised and how adorable Andrew coming out in his boxers yes to take a stand right, and how the actor was so much bigger than Andrew. But Andrew's holding his own Yeah, she's my wife, bigger and older.
Speaker 6: I was noting, like, there's these two really young, adorable kids going get out, get yeah. And Andrew's like, get out, you older man, gross guy, and he's like, okay, you kiddo, you know what he does. And then like that was just such a funny little dynamic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so sweet that it came out to take a stand that was adorable, so that you.
Speaker 6: Know, we can see where this is headed with Alison and Billy and we're all here for it. And then Michael and Jane are. Michael is waking Jane up in bed with breakfast in bed, and did anybody else notice? He's like, are you up?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: I was like, what I do for you?
Speaker 6: Look what you want?
Speaker 5: A cookie?
Speaker 3: It was can I sleep in? Cannot be your prize?
Speaker 7: Like she he wakes her up to say, look what I did for you?
Speaker 2: Money?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am the dishwasher.
Speaker 6: But then Josie was so lovely in that scene where she says I'm lonely, Like Josie as the actress in that scene, like with what she's doing, she had the most authentic, like emotional, vulnerable, vulnerable moment of like I'm lonely, and.
Speaker 1: It was so so sweetly and we have to like, you need to pay attention to me, you need to listen.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, that was so lovely. So anyway, poor Jane is just not getting what she needs from this marriage.
Speaker 5: And then they embrace. So that's kind of like a button on you know that that stories come somewhere.
Speaker 6: I mean, I will say he did sort of slammer down on the bed and they like kissed hard after an hour, that kind of embrace. But yes, it was an embrace, and she was lovely.
Speaker 1: And then they all gather for a pool party, because we had a lot of those in the beginning. There was always a pool party.
Speaker 4: And I remember like the argument about wearing a bathing sit anyone her bathing, So apparently I compromised on really thick bike shorts, which.
Speaker 1: Seemed like really bad choice. I'm going to get a really thick cotton bike.
Speaker 6: Really I looked really cute.
Speaker 4: And what a bad call, though, Like just suck it up and wear a bathing suit. It would have been so much.
Speaker 5: Less about his grill.
Speaker 6: Do you feel like he remembered saying I don't want to be in a bathing suit or that was That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I remember being so insecure and so self conscious about that gorgeous twenty four year old body, which again breaks my heart.
Speaker 1: How hard I was on myself at that age. How hard I was because it's.
Speaker 4: Adorable, Like we all looked adorable, but those voices, you know, obviously society, my own whatever it was. That's why I was wearing that ridiculous thing because I was too shy to wear a bathing suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you looked really cute Sandy there, and they're you know, in her that archetypal thing and she's always half naked or whatever.
Speaker 4: I know, But I wasted so much time, Like I remember looking back, and I did a lot of fitness stuff things it wasn't a fitness and I remember seeing like a cover I did on a fitness magazine, and I remember how I felt about myself and looking at it.
Speaker 1: I was like, God, I just couldn't see myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, like you as hard as a young woman, Like, yeah, I'm so much kinder about my much older body now, I'm so much more.
Speaker 1: I would never do that to myself today. And it's just heartbreaking that I wasted so much time being so hard on myself.
Speaker 6: And I don't think that's changed. I think women now, like these young women are picking themselves apart and you know, comparing and looking at all these little things when when we can look at them through our eyes and so you're beautiful, and it's just but they can't. You can't see it on yourself that age, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Heart I think times have changed, frankly, and I see more body types. You see more body types and commercials and out there.
Speaker 5: And we didn't have that. We had like a stick. They meant it. They meant blonde and skinny and boobs and that's it.
Speaker 7: Like that's what was on the covers of magazines and stuff.
Speaker 5: You know, these supermodels. This was the nineties.
Speaker 4: That was that.
Speaker 2: And what I see now, I'm like, wow, wow, you could you would never see that normal looking young woman or middle aged woman on a commercial ever.
Speaker 7: And now you do see it, and I feel like it is a little more open and accepting.
Speaker 5: I mean, I hope that's thanks goodness. Well, that's it.
Speaker 6: We end. We end the episode and the pilot with everybody playing. Was that a chicken fight called the chicken fight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Fight chicken in the pool?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because who doesn't fight? Get all of your as we were younger, all right, and that's the end. So uh, anything, any favorite hair, any favorite clothes, anything you noticed. Like I said, I was surprised by how current the clothes looked, how cute it looked. Love my first outfit. Not crazy about my hair, but it's gonna be a lot of bad hair over the course of that series.
Speaker 6: I haven't appeared like I don't even know.
Speaker 1: What was the shirt count?
Speaker 6: Okay, so I counted thirteen, but I have to say it was hard to keep track as I was tallying. So any listeners who count a different number, I am open to like being corrected on that. But I counted thirteen. Wow, all the guys.
Speaker 4: At least I was to mention, like in the scene with me and Andrew and I had that like that big fluffy robe, how where I'm in the big fluffy Blue Moon and Stars robe.
Speaker 3: Which is everybody wanted at the time.
Speaker 1: That was a big thing at the time.
Speaker 4: They made it very recently. I wore it for years and he's naked, like they never made us be naxt.
Speaker 6: I bet that robe sold a million robes because it was adorable on being on Allison on the show, and it was on for years, like for seconds, it was like icronic, just that wardrobe item. But I bet I wanted one.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Speaking of wardrobe, I noticed from the very end I noticed two things. One Andrew was wearing a Dartmouth shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I meant to say that, yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: And then I noticed at the very end.
Speaker 2: Doug was wearing Matt was wearing a Rock the Vote T shirt, which was all the rage in which I was very good friends with the person who started that, nice Patrick Uh, and we were very involved in the.
Speaker 5: Beginning of Rock the Vote.
Speaker 7: So it was really cool, like getting getting messages out there. Janine was I don't know if he chose it.
Speaker 6: If it was he, he said that he was all you know, very much in the beginning. That was very much his wardrobe. He always had a political statement on his shirt. And there was another one later in the episode. I think the last shirt he was wearing had censorship was the word on his T shirt. So yeah, he had two different sort of political statements that he was wearing. Yeah, as his character, so many things to talk about, so many things to cover, and I think I think we did. We hit all of the things we wanted to hit, like the favorites and the most memorable line, did anybody have any Well?
Speaker 5: I liked yours about the moral dilemma? That was that crazy kind of just stuck out. You know.
Speaker 2: What really struck me was the hair, like not just you're not even yes your hair, but the but Sandy's hair, just the there's a lot of hair spray, a lot of hairspray.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was stiff, it was there was a less scrunchless scrunch spray, hair spray. Most do you guys remember that Every day at about ten thirty, they would bring out huge tubs of tuna, no tuna, you don't remember that, and these huge hubs and everybody would eat.
Speaker 1: It was so disgusting.
Speaker 4: It was like a protein break because we've been there since you know, six am. And people would go hi, like, oh, people.
Speaker 5: You're trying to be healthy.
Speaker 1: You don't remember that. I do not remember that.
Speaker 6: God. Well, so we get to talk about an episode in another week, we get to come back and talk about the next episode, and there's so much to talk about, and we'll we'll start to one is a yeah, we start to think about having guests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, wait to see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's so fun, very fun.