Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty Armstrong and Gatty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: We've heard from the foreign ministries of many of the Gulf states who have come out and condemned Iran for targeting Kuwaiti airspace, the US airbases that are on the ground in Kuwait, causing Kuwaiti sirens to blare here overnight, as well as the interceptors to be put in motion in order to neutralize that threat.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Arab states have condemned Iran.
Speaker 3: I bet they're feeling the rough side of the tongue of the leaders who.
Speaker 1: Have condemned what they've done.
Speaker 3: So first we'll update you on what happened overnight since last you checked in on the war with Ran, there was quite a bit and then where we are now at the sanctions, which is pretty darned interesting.
Speaker 1: Here's tre Yanksta Fox.
Speaker 4: A significant development overnight as Iran launched drones toward a commercial vessel attempting to pass through the Strait of Hormuz. Sentcom says at least five one way attack drones were launched toward the vessel and intercepted. We know that a strike was also conducted against a control station near the city of Bundar Abbas that was about to launch a six drone. In response to the Iranians launched a drone and ballistic missile attack against Kuwait, targeting a US based there. According to Iran's IRGC, the Kuwaitis confirmed an attack on their territory that triggered sirens and alerts. Just two hours ago, the Israelis conducted a targeted assassination against the Lebanese capital of Beirut, taking out a top hesbal of missile commander there Bill, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Trey, Trey, yinks Tel Aviv.
Speaker 3: This is all during the ceasefire, which a lot of ceasefires through history have had a fair amount.
Speaker 1: Of back and forth.
Speaker 3: As long as both sides are saying the ceasefire still holds, I guess you still have a ceasefire. Ceasefire is over when one or more side says that's it.
Speaker 5: I need somebody to explain to me how the current somewhat c c ceasefire is a better strategy than continuing to pound Iran.
Speaker 1: I think go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think that Trump just doesn't want to engage in full out war.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 5: Gulf States are probably saying, hey, hey, hey, can we just let's give this a real good try before we get the violence going again, because I know it was absolutely devastating to the UAE. Some of those giant, gleaming cities with the highest skyscrapers in the world and the magnificent architecture and the resorts that are artificial, this, that, and the other, they're empty right now. So I think our allies in the region are probably desperate to not have the you know, the the real hostilities start again.
Speaker 3: Hoping Iran caves because of the financial situation. To that In the New York Times New York Times Today, Iranian state television reported on Wednesday that had obtained an initial unofficial framework for an agreement. So this is a weird thing that's going on right now. We'll say we have an agreement, and we'll lay out what the stuff is that's beneficial to us, and then Iran will say, we don't agree to that. And now Iran is announcing we have an agreement, and they lay out the stuff that's beneficial to them, and we say we don't agree to that.
Speaker 1: Back to the New York Times.
Speaker 3: The White House roundly dismissed the report, calling it a complete fabrication, and mister Trump said several of the terms it outlined would be unacceptable. So Iran just did the same thing basically that we did.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Sounds to me like where you announced there's a deal and the other side hasn't agreed to it. I don't know if both sides are trying to pull off the presumptive clothes, or like we're talking to people who agree to stuff but they aren't the reals.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: History will tell, I guess. And there's so much happening behind the scenes that I know.
Speaker 1: I'm not privy too. And here maybe for the forever, under the now.
Speaker 3: Under the framework released by Iran, Iran would reopen the Strait of horr Moves to commercial ships, but it would continue to control the strait in cooperation with Oman, and she would not charge tolls.
Speaker 1: It would just.
Speaker 5: Charge huge fees for navigation assistance.
Speaker 1: Please yeah.
Speaker 3: In return, the United States would lift its naval blockade on ships entering and leaving Iranian ports. So we leave and you get to control the strait. Is not a deal.
Speaker 1: We're going to agree to, I would assume.
Speaker 3: And the report that Iran put out saying we have a deal made no mention of the most contentious issues, like the future of their nuclear program or the stockpile of their enriched uranium.
Speaker 1: So other than that, we're very close.
Speaker 3: The Wall Street Journal version Iran's hardline rulers aren't willing to conced much to secure a deal.
Speaker 1: They're eager to deter future.
Speaker 3: Attacks, and they want the sanctions to end, but they aren't willing to give on a whole bunch of different stuff. But the government is also very eager to secure financial relief because the blockade is deepening the economic crisis. One Iranian official said the economy had held up earlier in the war, but that has changed now after Washington began stopping vessels from entering and leaving Iranian terminals. The amount of money they're getting dropped off so much that they're in.
Speaker 1: Really bad shape.
Speaker 3: And one Iranian officials said nationalism can only work for so long, referring to Iranian's reasons to support the regime's war effort. That's the people that get in the streets and chant death to America. At some point they're gonna say, according to this Iranian, they're gonna say.
Speaker 1: All right, that's enough.
Speaker 3: We ain't got no food, we ain't got no fuel, we ain't got no electricity. And to that point, the sanctions associated press, the Trump administration today or yesterday placed additional sanctions on Iran. I'll never understand this with sanctions. I've wondered about it my whole life. Some country or person does something horrible to us, and we put sanctions on them, and then something else happens, and then they announce additional sanctions, and I always think.
Speaker 1: How bad does it gotta get? Why if these if there are more sanctions available.
Speaker 3: Before yesterday, why weren't we doing them already ready?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Yeah? Yeah, Why we never understood that. And I've never had it explain to me.
Speaker 3: Why aren't we doing the absolute maximum, to the absolute limit of sanctions that we have.
Speaker 1: Power over already?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 5: There are a couple of reasons you wouldn't want to do that, because some of them involve kind of abusing your status as the world financial clearinghouse. And you don't want to get a rep for doing that too much, or you or be that anymore. Well, yeah, but there's a long history of US continuing to, you know, not freeze assets and seize things. Anyway, I don't want to get into those weeds, but I see your point generally. I thought it was interesting that the what's this guy's the speaker the parliament, Iranian president, whatever the hell that means. They're talking about how prices of like your staple foods, rice, meat, bread, cheese have skyrocketed in recent weeks, and Iranian households are super pressured, blah blah blah, and the government's afraid of stability falling in part again, and the President Massud Pazekian and other pragment has realized the slide will have to be stemmed if they're to maintain stability meeting. The worsening economic picture is becoming a key pressure point in the negotiations with Washington. Here's what he said to the Tehran Chamber of Commerce Wednesday. I'm sure their meetings are cheery these days, he said. The main war is in the economic field. If you failed, the country fails.
Speaker 1: The Tehran Chamber of Commerce, yeah, they're like, yeah, yeah, there won't be lunch this week, and in fact, there won't be any water or.
Speaker 5: Electricity at the big meeting, So come as yard, bring a flashlight and a bottled water.
Speaker 1: So the question is, let me give you Mark Halprin's.
Speaker 3: Assessment of all those articles from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 3: We all need to stop asking if there's going to be a US Iran agreement that holds not under the current trajectory, there can be no sustainable deal with Tehran. So the question is what does Donald Trump plan to do to change the trajectory. Maybe Scott Bessant, Treasury Secretary, will make that clear at the White House briefing today, But if the President won't go back to full scale war, maybe maybe the economic pressure is still the answer. There's got to be a limit to how long Iran can put up with this. They're just hoping that that they can hold out longer than Trump will is willing to hold out. With the high gas prices in the midterms, and like I watch MSNBC and and every day they're just hammering the gas prices and Trump doesn't care about your you know, financial well being, and they.
Speaker 5: Run that clip over and over again. I'm sure or he said I don't care about that.
Speaker 3: And some of my favorite pundits who were pro war in the beginning have turned and now think it was a bad idea. I don't understand how we attach gas prices to this at all. He either got to stop ran from getting a nuclear weapon because it would be like the worst thing that ever happened to the world, or it's not and you just gotta It's like, it's like if you have to amputate a leg because you got an infection that'll kill you. Yeah, it's really, really horrible, but the alternative is worse. Yeah, it's a good metaphor, and you're really I'm getting the bomb could literally be the worst thing ever to happen to humanity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not an exaggeration.
Speaker 3: Could be the worst thing that ever happened on the planet if Iran got a bomb. In fact, I think it probably would be. But let me get back to Helprin's analysis. Unless this is directly related, the book might be related, but the administration has not done a good job of convincing people of that.
Speaker 5: Back to Halpern's analysis, which I thought was terrific. As usual, him talking about observing the current trajectory there's no chance of a deal, a sustainable deal. I agree completely. I just I think, what the hell are any of you talking about. On the other hand, the trajectory might be different than we think it is because of the economic stuff going on behind the scenes and ran as we've been discussing, or the diplomatic behind closed doors conversation is so wildly, radically different than the public pronunciations. We're all getting misled by the public, you know, the pronouncements. I should say, it's one of those two things. Or we're just completely wasting our time, and Trump is getting strung along and we're not pounding around for I don't know some of the reasons we've discussed. It's all so murky. I mean, war in conflict is always somewhat murky, but I swear this is this is like an algebra equation with all variables. I don't even know how to do the math.
Speaker 1: I'll bet Trump paces the Oval Office every.
Speaker 3: Day thinking they can't they can't put up with this much longer, thinking, you.
Speaker 1: Know, they've got to be about to fall.
Speaker 3: And if you're old enough in terms of regimes following falling, whether it's you know, the wall coming down, in East Germany or the Soviet Union, or the Arab Spring or all these differs. Every regime looks solid up until the moment they're not.
Speaker 1: So that's why it's always really hard to tell. Yeah.
Speaker 5: My final thought on the topic is on the popularity of the war and people saying it was a good idea or a bad idea. I'm back to you know, success as a thousand fathers and failures an orphans. It reminds me of what every NFL coach knows. If I go for it on fourth and two and make it, I'm the world's greatest genius. But if we don't make it, I should be fired immediately, right. That is true, same play, same situation. So this thing turns around around, gives up the nukes, the Middle East becomes a peaceful you know of Valahila.
Speaker 1: Well, then this is eighty eight percent.
Speaker 5: Of Americans to say, hell, yeah, the war was a great idea up with the USA.
Speaker 1: So we just got to see do we make it on fourth and two or not.
Speaker 3: I just wish they'd make the argument better. You can't have a well guess will be too expensive during the summer. Be the other side of the argument of Iran having a nuclear.
Speaker 1: Weapon, right, that's crazy, right?
Speaker 3: Anyhow, what are your thoughts? Text line four one five two nine five KFTC.
Speaker 1: While we're talking to you from the vehicle, looking at the fire, you look, I'm all these people.
Speaker 5: What if we have you get out?
Speaker 3: My baby's break down there and I will tell you.
Speaker 2: How about this?
Speaker 5: What if we have you get out of the car.
Speaker 3: We'll put you in one of our cars and will drive around the corner so we're somewhere about their everybody.
Speaker 1: I only get in this.
Speaker 3: So I said, you gave them to my house.
Speaker 1: I'll make you soar to lasagna or.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have a pool. My babies are coming to my house to nice before.
Speaker 5: Oh why say drunk Britney Spears, trying to argue during a DUI arrest that she'll bring them to the house and make them lasagna and let them swim in her pool.
Speaker 3: So I didn't know what that was and until we got to until I heard lasagna. Because we've had this clip for several days. The fact that Britney Spears offered the cops lasagna.
Speaker 1: Come to a house and I'll make you lazagnia.
Speaker 3: I gotta admit Britney Spears says, you want to come over, I'll make you lasagna.
Speaker 1: I think I'm in Wow. We gotta at least think about it. She sounded like a child, and she's forty five.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, And the whole part about my babies are coming to my house tonight.
Speaker 1: She has some serious mental problems.
Speaker 5: Which you would too, and she was afraid she'd lose like visitation or whatever the situation is with her kids.
Speaker 3: You would have mental problems too if starting as a like sixteen year old. Well actually she Disney, she started as like an eight year old. But starting as a child, your parents trotted you out as a sex object to the world to make gazillions of dollars, and you've been famous and hounded since you were a child. You'd be pretty weird too.
Speaker 5: Speaking of lawbreakers, this is something a former CIA official has been accused of stealing.
Speaker 1: What if she's a good cook. You think Britney Spears is a very good cook.
Speaker 5: You know there are some really good like frozen lasagnas you could get, or you know there's a pasta store not far from my place where you can order them to make you a lasagna.
Speaker 1: There's good frozen lasagna. You can order a lazagia that they'll make for you.
Speaker 5: The way I phrased it made it sound like you go in there and say make meal lasagna. No, no, no, you can order a lasagna made by the You could order.
Speaker 1: Them right yes, right away there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, a homemade lasagna is really really good, but there are some really good options prepared wise. That was always our traditional traditional summer vacation meal. We would drive Gladys. These were good times back in the day. We would drive from the Sacramento area up to sun River, Oregon. It's about nine hours with a minivan full of the kids, and we were all very tired and hungry when we got there, and we would pop a lasagna, frozen lasagna that was thawed from the nine hour drive into the oven. We'd all have lasagna to kick off our summer vacation. It was delightful.
Speaker 3: My lasagna story that I've told many times, and I always think that this is a deficit we have in the United States. So I knew a bunch of Italians way back in the day. For some reason, they were all university like Gradston the mob. For a while he was an enforcer. He didn't like having to kill people, but he did it.
Speaker 1: It's a job.
Speaker 3: These were all grad students, like PhDs and that sort of stuff, but they're from Italy and one Christmas I got to hang out with him and they all made lasagna and it was like eight different dudes made lasagna and they were all completely different and all amazing. But the fact that every one of these guys learned to make homemade lazagna completely from scratch, roll out the pasta, all the sort of stuff, that it was still a tradition in the two thousands. That you do that, I mean, we don't do that with our culture for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: I'll bet that was some damn good lasagna. Oh man. But grown men that.
Speaker 3: Knew how to make lasagna from scratch because their moms taught him to and they thought it was an important thing to carry.
Speaker 1: On right right culture tradition.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that former CIA official accused of stealing will tell you what he stole. Coming up, it's more than you're guessing. Guess again. Nope, still not enough.
Speaker 1: Holy crap.
Speaker 5: Plus an AI update so interesting, including what the Pope had to say.
Speaker 1: Awesome all on the way if you miss it. Get the podcast Armstrong A Getty on the Man Armstrong and Getty man O Mano.
Speaker 6: Men.
Speaker 1: We got lots of stuff to talk about. We Trump said some amazing things at.
Speaker 3: The cabinet meeting yesterday that we probably should get to probably.
Speaker 1: Hit that in hour three.
Speaker 5: So a lot of interesting the AI stuff to talk about, but I wanted to pay off this story first. It's the headline from the Washington Post. A former CIA official has been accused of stealing three hundred and three gold bars worth more than forty million dollars WHOA from the spy agency and stashing them in his Virginia residence, according to a criminal complaint. Here's my favorite part of the story. I mean, obviously, the fact that you could steal three hundred and three gold bars worth more than forty million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's enough, certainly.
Speaker 5: But he's also accused of misleading his superiors about his education military service and falsely claiming college degrees he did not have, and seventy seven thousand dollars in military leave pay he wasn't entitled to. If I'm this guy's spouse or partner in crime, or just his freaking brain, you have forty million dollars in gold bars, and you can nickel and dime the government over leave pay.
Speaker 1: Don't take any leave. Everything's by the book. Just don't what.
Speaker 5: You're gonna slip a rim of paper under your sport code on the way out too. You've got forty million dollars in gold bars in your house cap a low profile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's It's interesting how many.
Speaker 3: Criminals are either stupid or what's driving them is not the result.
Speaker 1: There's something else.
Speaker 3: There's some sort of screw screwing the man or or getting away with it and showing that they're smarter than other people or something. Because if all you wanted was money, first of all, don't steal that many. You don't need forty million dollars take it. So I did the math. That's they're about one hundred and thirty thousand a piece. You don't grab a few that wouldn't be as likely to be noticed. And yeah, don't don't try to cheat on your vacation pay and everything else.
Speaker 1: You moron.
Speaker 5: The uh part of the piece in the post rather raises a really good question about the efficacy of US government background checks on this dude, as well as how he was allegedly able to persuade his superiors to entrust him with tens of million dollars millions of dollars in gold and large amounts of foreign currency.
Speaker 3: No kidding, that's the story. So your thorough background check for who should be, you know, in charge of some of the nation's important secrets and both bars and whatever else doesn't include actually seeing if they went to the university they wrote down on a piece of paper, because.
Speaker 1: That requires like a phone call to figure out. Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 5: So the AFFI David by the FBI said, Rush that's this guy's name, made several requests for golden cash between November and March. Subsequent search of his government office revealed and only a portion of the currency was in storage there and no gold bars.
Speaker 1: Whoops, that's incredible. Two million bucks in cash too. Wow. At some point, don't you disappear? Brother?
Speaker 3: I mean again that he was clearly being driven by some sort of out smartened people or something that wasn't just money, or you would have disappeared.
Speaker 1: A long time ago.
Speaker 5: God, gold bars, you just got to get across the border, right, right. So there's a lot of AI stuff to talk about. I've been reading with interest more about Pope Leo's AI manifesto, and it's it's it's lovely in a lot of ways on a purely spiritual individual level. Him talking about the dangers of AI and how it can be an attack on the dignity of man and the dignity of work and having a life of purpose. All of this is true, not to mention harmful uses like the manipulation of information, violations of privacy, the fact that AI systems can reflect and reinforce the stereotypes or ideological bias of their designers and developers.
Speaker 1: So true, all of it's.
Speaker 5: Absolutely true, and it's absolutely lovely on an individual basis. But then he and I think it was the Wall Street Journal. Oh yeah, the Wall Street Journal says, yeah, all that stuff is so true and it's so well said, and the rest of it. But then, hand in hand with AOC and Bernie Sanders, he wants the government to regulate it all and keep a tight grip on it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's ridiculous, that is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: You know, stay in your lane, Pop Leo, root for the socks right and and do your poping help us find Jesus the idea that the Aocason, the Bernie Sanders of the world ought to be, you know, in charge of America's AI development, as China is going as hard and fast as they can add it so they can dominate us and subjugate the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think so, mister Pope.
Speaker 3: Or that the government would necessarily do a good job of regulating this.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, they're guaranteed not to guaranteed not to which if you're saying, well, Joseph, I feel like I'm on a you know, a fifty ton locomotive on ice, screaming toward a cliff with all this AI stuff, I share your sentiment, friend, Yeah, found this interesting. Uh, the new career odyssey waiting for today's college grads. According to the good folks at is it LinkedIn a big study, they estimate the college grads will have twice as many jobs over the course of their careers as those who started out fifteen years ago.
Speaker 3: Garan, Well, fifteen years ago, wow, because that's only well, it's only fifteen year but that's still well into the you're not going to come out of high school and work for the same company the rest of your life thing that.
Speaker 1: We've all recognized. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're talking about a couple of things. Number One, people are tending to work longer because they're living longer, but also because of AI and technological change. The fields you excel in from age twenty two to twenty seven might not exist when you're twenty eight, which is a hell of a deal living longer.
Speaker 3: Short a sight here, just because I was into this book about the biography about William Shakespeare. But so at the time that Shakespeare was bumping around in England, born in the mid fifteen hundreds, the average life span was forty or something like that. But in London, in the poorer areas of London, the average mail lived to be twenty five.
Speaker 5: Ooh, Now, I always need to separate infant mortality.
Speaker 1: That's what I don't understand. That's where it throws it all off. Yeah right, yeah, But.
Speaker 5: Because there's a separate statistic. If you survived to one year, then it's a totally different stat for your life expectancy. But anyway, the point remains, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: So I feel like that we haven't adjusted the world for the fact that most people live a really long time.
Speaker 1: We still haven't in a hundred ways. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're gonna if you get out of high school at eighteen and you've got to support yourself till ninety, which might be close to the life expectancy if you you know, if you've already made it to eighteen, that's a lot of money you need.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially since we're not having babies and social Security and Medicare are pyramid schemes.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I'll make.
Speaker 3: An eighty eight, which is almost certainly the life expectancy of an eighteen year old.
Speaker 1: So you got seventy years you've got to support yourself. That's a long time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say so, and I wish you hadn't brought it up. So let's see what I say. Oh, it's awesome more common to work a job that's disconnected from your undergraduate major. About forty two percent of recent college grads have jobs that don't require degrees at all, never mind ones in the field that they studied.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, I'm not going to be able to make my living in bipoc poetry analysis.
Speaker 5: That number is up four percent from two and a half years ago, so it is trending upward in a big, big hurry. And you know, my takeaway from this article is, Yeah, it makes sense that people will have more different jobs and more different industries because of the base change. But is it going to be twice as many jobs or three times as many or half as many? Or will they never work again? Or will robots harvest our internal organs? Nobody has the idea. I'm hoping that last one.
Speaker 3: I don't know what a robot's gonna do with my pancreas, but it's on my radar screen. I don't know how they I mean, somebody's got to write these articles, but what are they basing these guesses on. Nobody has any idea what industries AI is going to completely destroy, completely destroy, like will never exist again in the history of the.
Speaker 1: Earth, right right, right? Hey Michael, do we have a vital commercial message here?
Speaker 5: Oh, of what a pleasure to talk to you about simply Safe Home Security. Gonna be installing mine effortlessly by myself, and I'm no techno wizard. If you'd need help from simply Safe, they can absolutely get a pro installer for you. But it's so easy, especially considering this is the best security system you can get these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so simply Safe, it's simple to go online and customize the order for your home, windows, doors, size of your lot, all that sort of stuff. It's simple to install. You can do it on your own or ask for help if you'd like to, and then it's simple, simple to use. There are no long term contracts because they believe you're gonna like it enough you'll keep using it.
Speaker 5: And as I've just experienced, if your insurance company is mostly worried about fire, for instance, or flood or maybe break ins and crime and that sort of thing, you can customize the system to really accent those concerns. It really is wonderful and it's gotten all sorts of awards. And right now you can get fifty percent off your new simply safe system at simply safe dot com slash armstrong. Sure enough, half off. Just did it simplysafe dot com slash armstrong. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 3: I'd like a security system to keep the AI robots out of my house so they don't come in and harvest my organs.
Speaker 5: Hang out of your organs, yeah, with both hands. So this is something. Using AI for just ten minutes might make you lazy and dumb. Okay to you do a new study You've said this a bunch of times to like, I love that headline.
Speaker 1: I use AI a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, Michael, you know the jury is ready to your honor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I don't understand why this would be. I don't understand it anyway.
Speaker 1: I see, I understand how God I did this.
Speaker 3: So I was in bed all day long yesterday with the rotavirus, which we'll talk more about later, but spent way too much time just scrolling through YouTube shorts or whatever. God that stuff's addictive. Now that making you dumb? I completely understand. I feel like when I finally break myself free from that, I'd like, how do I tie my shoes? I mean, I'm dumb, but I don't understand why just using a I would well.
Speaker 5: According to a new study from researchers at Carnegie Mellon, which sounds like something you'd have at a summer barbecue, MI, t Oxford, and UCLA, using chatbots for even just ten minutes may have shockingly negative impact on people's ability to think and problem solve. Researchers task people with solving various problems, including simple fractions and reading comprehension, through an online platform that paid them for their work. They conducted three experiments, each involving several hundred people. Some participants were given access to AI assistance capable of solving the problems autonomously. When the AI helper was suddenly taken away, these people were significantly more likely to give up on the problem or flub their answers. The study suggests you take away the.
Speaker 1: AI, I say, I give up.
Speaker 5: The study suggests that widespread use of AI might boost productivity at the expense of developing foundational problem solving skills, says one of the head professors. The takeaway is not that we should ban AI in education or workplaces. AI can clearly help people perform better in the moment, and that can be valuable, but we should be more careful about what kind of help AI provides.
Speaker 1: And when.
Speaker 5: He says essentially and it's super interesting and we'll post it, I don't think you'll get Paywald at Armstrong and getty dot com will post a link. He says, it's fundamentally a cognitive question about persistence learning and how people were respond to difficulty. We wanted to take these broader concerns about long term human AI interactions, studying them in a controlled setting. The resulting study seems particularly concerning because a person's willingness to persist with problem solving is crucial to acquiring new skills and also predicts their capacity to learn over time. You know, they said it was shocking the way people they just they got intellectually very lazy using AI for ten minutes.
Speaker 3: This kind of makes sense to me, And it's a little bit similar to the.
Speaker 1: We've talked about how much we all hate.
Speaker 3: Like if somebody comes up with a you know, who is the lead guitar player for whatever, and you're sitting around and trying to guess it and somebody just googles it and then hits you with the answer. It's like, no, the fun was us trying to think of it and come up with it or whatever.
Speaker 1: Great, you just google it.
Speaker 3: So now we do the same thing with like everything, rather than figure it out somewhat or think about it a little longer, or.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I can come up with an example.
Speaker 3: This is a bad example because I don't know if I'd ever figured out on my own. But the other day my son's truck wouldn't start. I mentioned this yesterday I went on AI got a year model a truck. This is happening, and it gave me the five things. I mean that it is as opposed to me trying to figure it out on my own. If we do that with on this particular, I don't know if I'd have figured out on my own, But if we do that with every single problem we have, yeah, the ability to figure things out is.
Speaker 1: Gonna go away.
Speaker 5: You remember that big study that came out a few years ago that doing puzzles to the like puzzles.
Speaker 1: Hard enough that you're frustrated.
Speaker 5: That's when your brain is improving or that's a staving off age related cognitive loss. It's that feeling of being frustrated or really having to concentrate on it.
Speaker 1: That's what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: I can feel my brain, I can feel my body chemistry change.
Speaker 1: When you talk about vexing problem that you're thinking, what the heck is it? That feeling?
Speaker 5: If we lose that to this studies point, the next time you think I'm not done not going through that, it's like your electric bike conking out. When you become reliant on it, You're like, I gotta pedal up a hell.
Speaker 1: Anyway. If you have any thoughts.
Speaker 3: On this would be interested in texting four one, five, two, nine, five k FTC A lot more on the way.
Speaker 6: James Carville says Donald Trump can't be the anti Christ because he's too dumb. Meanwhile, Carville thinks he's Jesus because everyone who sees his face says.
Speaker 1: Jesus, what happened?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: If you haven't been following James Carvill's Twitter feed, he is off the rails. Oh yeah, he's unhinged. He's so angry.
Speaker 1: Very very old.
Speaker 3: Couple of things for you. This is a sad one if you're old enough to remember what a big deal Sugar Ray Leonard was as a boxer. He's got some troubles with his son. Sugar Ray Leonard makes shocking claims about son after alleged violent incident at the Legends home. He's got a twenty five year old He's filed a request for a restraining order against his kid. Has become a drug addict and just can't shake it and has been stealing from him and dangerous to himself and others. He's overdosed four times, Sugar Ray Leonard said, and I hadn't written declaration to the police in the county. They've had to bring him back to life. Two times at the hospital, he's stolen extreme amounts of money, and he asked the judge for order that would require his son to stay one hundred yards away from him.
Speaker 1: What a horrible situation that is? Yeah, too bad, freaking modern drugs.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I told story about somebody I know whose son, really really successful kid started on that gas station heroin thing. Is this like a kind of like a five hour energy sort of deal just to try to stay a little more awake, and it led him toward opioids and just it's a disaster. Ugh, I know, I hate that story. I like this story though. I remember when this first happened, and I was shocked that people didn't make a bigger deal out of it. During the protests at the very beginning of all this hullabaloo of the College Kid's protest in Israel, after October seventh, et cetera, et cetera, UCLA students blocking Jewish students from getting into their dorms or the library or going to class, and they got away with it, and I thought, how is this even possible? Well, there was a fresh lawsuit from the US Department of Justice on how UCLA created a hostile educational environment for a specific protected group of students, and they absolutely did. Maba thugs who took over the campus in twenty twenty four, blocking Jewish students from reaching their classes unless they renounced Zionism. Can you imagine any other group, protected group being on the bad end of that sort of thing, and the media basically covering it up by not covering it at all, and the Justice Department overlooking it.
Speaker 5: It's incredible, Germany, nineteen thirty six.
Speaker 3: As the lawsuit says, the fact is that UCLA was indifferent at best to the outrageous behavior of the activists and the anti Israel encampment. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that UCLA back to the encampment, ringing it with steel fencing and protecting it from security personnel. We talked about that at the time, how they put a fence around it to make sure nobody could bother the students that.
Speaker 1: Were keeping Jewish kids from going to class.
Speaker 5: And if I'm encouraged by every professor I have, in what sense is the university just indifferent?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: The fact that the universe didn't call out these kids expel them, that every faculty member wasn't giving speeches that it wasn't on the news.
Speaker 1: Every single night. It hardly got any attention anywhere in the country.
Speaker 5: That illustrates how deep the rod is in our universities, the permanent omni cause, the Neo Marxism, unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we'll see where this goes in the Justice Department and stay on top of it. Trump had a big cabinet meeting yesterday. We'll give you a couple of clips of that that are danged interesting. An hour three I hope you can stick around for if you miss it, gets Podcast Armstrong You Getty on the Mom