Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Hannah Elliott and I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: This is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 1: I'm Hannah Elliott and.
Speaker 3: I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: This is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's podcast, we have got the head of SEEMA with us and the head of the American f i A delegation. Am I saying that right?
Speaker 4: Matt?
Speaker 5: Yes, I believe it's the mobility uh section of the f i A. But yeah, Mike Stagnolo joins us, and I am a huge fan of aftermarket modding.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, nothing serious, but.
Speaker 5: Like as soon as I get a bike, I'll change the cams.
Speaker 1: Or you got an exhaust for the.
Speaker 5: My BMW want to change. Yeah, it's the trim and we have to make an exhaust for it. Yes, exactly so. And also I really want to go to the SEMA Car Show.
Speaker 2: I've never been to it.
Speaker 1: It is your spiritual home. I think you if you go, you will never leave. I think more than anything, this is truly you. Your mind will explode. It is it's really intense. It's it's ninety nine percent men. I know we talked with Mike about women, but it's a it's bro heavy.
Speaker 4: Let me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, this is your wheelhouse, That's what I'm saying. Not the problem at all. Yeah, No, it's great. It's great, and it's very inspiring. You know, you got people who have worked for years on the things that they're displaying there. It's very cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's what I really am going to get into because I for many years I was trying to modify my Ducati Monsters with rear sets that made it possible for a guy with super long legs to ride, you know, and there just aren't very many choices out there for people who.
Speaker 2: Want it taller.
Speaker 5: Everybody wants rear sets that are higher because they want to be race guys, right, And I always think about making them myself, but in order to make it work financially, you got to make like thirty or eighty, you know, to sell some of them. I never really have gotten that far down the rabbit hole, but maybe I would.
Speaker 2: Maybe I would. Well, you know what else do we have? What else? Well, you've got a story on this terminal.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's kind of about how Eve's killed the Halo car. The headline is that Portia and other luxury car icons are losing appeal in China. But really the story is about how EV's and ev dreams in China really have had quite a cooling effect on the halo cars. And you know, as you know, halo cars aren't just any supercar. They're not just a sports car. It's a very specific but also vague kind of car that used to be really prevalent. I mean, every major automaker would have a halo car. Obviously, the halo is what brings people into the brand, brings people into the showroom. But this piece kind of looks at why we don't really see I mean, Audi just had their new Halo, the new Voalai. That is maybe an outlier these days, right.
Speaker 5: I guess in part because people don't always go to the showroom anymore.
Speaker 1: You have everything you need to see you can see on social media now you don't even need it. You don't even need to go to buy it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've.
Speaker 5: Bought a car from a showroom since like twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally believe it. And the other thing too, is I kind of think Tesla had a really big part to play in this cooling effect of halo cars because when Tesla came out with ludicrous mode. That basically meant any grocery getter, Sedan, Tesla or EV for that matter, because it's it's set a precedent could embarrass a Lamborghini in a drag race. Speed became a commodity, and speed no longer, you know, was reserved only for supercars and Halo cars and the top sports cars. Speed now is everywhere, and that kind of meant in a way, it became less special.
Speaker 6: So it is true, yeah, yeah, yeah, but doesn't it make some other aspects of car ownership or usage more special? I mean, do you such as think that authenticity, you know, heritage?
Speaker 1: Apparently this is this is the interest. This is the interesting thing. You know, Chinese buyers really care about the latest technology, about AI and about you know, whether they feel they're getting an affordable car. And the thing is, China's crack that code. So now you have all these domestic to China automakers that are making these things that Chinese buyers are buying, and all of a sudden, you know, all of the German and Western brands are really struggling to compete. It's been interesting to watch it happen.
Speaker 2: So the main message of this story really is China.
Speaker 5: Like, wherever China goes, there goes the global car market.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: You could say that. I think you could say that at this point. My big question is, and I don't that's a great point, Matt, I don't say it in this piece, but when are we going to see Chinese cars in the US. That would have been a question for Mike, because do you think it's only a matter of time or do you think never?
Speaker 5: Never, never, No, definitely, I mean we already have in the Pollstars.
Speaker 1: And in the US. But that's great.
Speaker 2: I saw that, but.
Speaker 5: You can see it seeping in here and there, and at some point an American consumer, especially in southern California, is going to have experienced fantastic Chinese products on vacation in Mexico and see the price tags so much lower than US automobiles and just demand it. I mean, why do you Why would we force our own consumers to pay thirty or forty or fifty thousand dollars to buy a Korean car when the consumers here could spend twenty thousand dollars for a better product just because we don't like China.
Speaker 1: Correct. And also, let's not Forget is also selling buses here already. There are fleets of fleets of BYD buses in the US operational I guess I don't know if they're actually selling them here, but they are operating here already, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I mean I imagine it'll come, not during this administration, but at some point, like a pragmatic economist is going to run the country and uh, and we'll all be we'll all be given freedom of choice. But not now, obviously.
Speaker 1: Now, Matt, I have to change a subject because I just remembered you've had a baby. We should have start. Oh, yes, top the top. This is the most important thing I did.
Speaker 5: We made a new one, and thank you very much. Little Freddie is here so happy. Uh And yeah, you know I got I had purchased this VMW specifically for that purpose. But then my wife said the suspension is too stiff and we had to take Yeah, she said it's too low and the suspension was too stiff to take her to the hospital in it no way. We took the Mercedes GLS instead, which turned out to be a great choice for the trip.
Speaker 1: You know, I did not know that. That's really funny. That's yeah, I mean, Mary, you knows what she wants and what she needs exactly. Got to respect that. So that's great.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I've had card the kids around in my new car. I've been carding them around right now in an M five, And I won't talk too much about it because I want to wait until you have a chance next week to drive, because you just got your M two, right I just.
Speaker 1: Got the M two delivered to the house. I haven't even seen it because i'm at the newsroom right now, but I'm very excited to drive it over the holiday weekend, and then after that, I'm also getting the M five. So we're gonna have a lot to talk about in BMW lands.
Speaker 2: A lot of exactly, and we have the new X five to talk about.
Speaker 1: Let's discuss.
Speaker 2: I hated quite a stir.
Speaker 1: What's your What was your knee jerk reaction when you saw it?
Speaker 5: My knee jerk reaction. The first picture I saw was very positive. I was like, Oh, I really like the way that looks. But you know what, I'll say, I felt the same way about the M two When this new M two came out and everybody else hated it for some reason, I just like the blockie design on the new X five. I like the two thousand and two kidneys.
Speaker 2: I think the X headlights are cool.
Speaker 1: I think the X headlights are super cool. I love those. Those are awesome.
Speaker 2: But you don't love the look.
Speaker 1: I need to see this is my qualifiers. I need to see it in real life, of course. Okay, my knee jerk was what it seems really it seems incredibly out of proportion. Also, I feel like I have whiplash now because we've gone from these huge beaver teeth grills and now all of a sudden, we're getting whiplash and it's like a micro grill. Yeah, on something this big, it looks like a tiny it's it doesn't necessarily seem in proportion to the rest. And also the black space below we have those tiny, little, tiny little girls, and then we have these gaping air vents, but also that are emphasized by just black I think plastic all around them to make them look even bigger. Why would you emphasize that It's.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think I think that part depends on the powertrain you get, And it's pretty interesting that you can now choose from six power trains on an X five.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I'm not I'll.
Speaker 5: Bet it's gonna be more because you can choose a gas powertrain, but there you'll have the choice of at least an inline six or a V eight's. You can choose a mild hybrid power train, so I'm guessing that'll be the in line six with electric help, and you can choose a plug in hybrid. You can choose a full electric vehicle, or you can choose fuel cell hydrogen fuel cell, and they'll have a diesel version, probably not for this market, but for other places in the world. So that's seven power choices.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 1: It does seem like this is now reading. This is BMW reading the room, which is that people just want options, right, Yeah, for sure, don't tell us what we have, and they can offer give us an.
Speaker 2: Option, yep, And they can offer options for now.
Speaker 5: I will say that although I love the exterior and I can understand and why it's shocking to some because it doesn't really look like an X five, It looks like a tall station wagon, but the interior is less my style. There's no longer gauges in front of the steering wheel and for this to be the ultimate driving machine, I want to see gauges in front of me showing my speed and the engine speed. But it's got this like some kind of new peripheral technology where it's way up above the dash it goes all the way across the car. There's no more BMWi drive system, which I absolutely loved the eye drive.
Speaker 1: Here's something that worries me a little bit. And this is in keeping with your assessment of what's going on above the dashboard. This car already looks like the front third is extremely high, like.
Speaker 3: Up not up.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just the photo I'm looking at, but it looks like there's a lot. It's high.
Speaker 2: It looks high.
Speaker 1: It's an suv, it's high. So you have that height on top of Now we're adding things on top of the dashboard. What does that do to visibility directly in front of the vehicle? And is this another example of the arms race happening on American highways where everyone's just getting matt these huge, massive vehicles and you can't see.
Speaker 5: I honestly don't think it's going to be as I don't think you're right about the trend.
Speaker 2: I don't think this x five is going to be as tall as you think it is.
Speaker 1: That's fair maybe, but I need to stand but.
Speaker 2: It well, we'll have to see it in person. I have Neither one of us really knows, right, But.
Speaker 5: You see increasingly a trend where there's a camera button or you can dig into your digital screen and turn on a camera that looks in front of you, right, I mean I have that car. No, you may not want to, but I had one back when I got my F one fifty and twenty fourteen. So as these vehicles get taller and bigger and you have less of a view of the curb in front of you, you know, if you're parking, for example, this is what you can hit that button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you can see how close it is.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I'll be excited to drive it. I think.
Speaker 5: In terms of the exterior, like that they sort of hit hit have hit a reset.
Speaker 4: The grills were.
Speaker 5: Getting bigger and bigger than they're back too.
Speaker 1: They definitely didn't you say this remind you of the two thousand and two Yes, exactly, Yeah it does, and that was a tiny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The interior has gotten more and more digital and more and more screeny and less and less buttony, and I think that it will be reset as well. I'll bet you that the next generation of this has far more physical buttons and controls and fewer screeniness.
Speaker 1: We've seen We've seen that at Porscha, We've seen that at Ferrari. They're already dialing back on the buttons, no pun intended. So yeah, I thank god someone's listening to everyone. Gripe. It's good. The color of the launch this launch color, it's like, I don't know if you're seeing it, but on the official BMW website it's like a gray green. It's kind of cool. Would look great on.
Speaker 2: I like new and different colors, So I'm happy about that. I take it. Yeah, that's nice. That's nice, all right?
Speaker 5: Should we should we get into Mike our interview with Mike's Sagnola, the head of SEMA.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break and coming up more with Mike's Bagnola, the head of SEEMA, and we're gonna hear a little bit more about the kind of cars he drives in his personal time.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the use. Why don't we about your ability.
Speaker 5: I guess to help small businesses get after market parts onto our cars more quickly and more efficiently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're really excited the Trump administration and Lee Zelden announced yesterday that our SEAMA garages are now approved by the e p A to do emission compliance work. And what that means really is we have two emission centers, one here in Diamond Bar, California and one in Detroit where we help manufacturers kind of get through the emissions testing process, which can be daunting. So everything we help them with, everything from filling out the application to doing the test work to actually submitting that paperwork. And over the years it's been really carved. California Resources Board regulated and so we do all this work on behalf of our members. We test the product, we make sure that it passes emissions testing, and then we turn those applications into the California Resources Board, where there's always been this piece through the EPA that says reasonable basis, so testing can be done on a reasonable basis and EPA would accept that sort of work. We've been working alongside the EPA to actually get recognized by the EPA, and that came through yesterday through a bill that President Trump signed and that Lee Zilden worked alongside of us to do so, now our SEAMA garages, our emissions test centers can actually do that testing, help our manufacturers get through that process and then it becomes forty nine state legal and so what we'll be doing now going forward, and what that means, by the way, is that you know, manufacturers spend a ton of time and effort and money to develop a new product, and once that product's done and once we test it, we can wait weeks even months for the California Air Resources Board to approve that product. Meanwhile, those manufacturers are losing saidills. So now with this EPA recognition, we can do that testing, certify that it passes, and then give those manufacturers the ability to sell those products in forty nine states while we wait for CARB to then approve it for California. So it means millions and millions of dollars in sales to those manufacturers that we represent.
Speaker 5: So for example, I just got this twenty twenty bmw M seven sixty. Nobody makes a cat back exhaust for it. But if someone were to try to want to offer that product to every you know, seven sixty owner, she or he could come to you and say, look, help me get this emissions compliant for forty nine states and then may I may or may not do.
Speaker 3: The California work as well.
Speaker 5: But that would take an extra year and you know, one hundred thousand dollar dollars or something.
Speaker 3: They can do it much faster and cheaper with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know, the fees aren't that great through California Resources Board. But it can take time. I mean we you know, we we have experienced word, it could be six months to a year.
Speaker 5: Well, by the way, employing somebody to work with CARB and make sure the process goes smoothly is what it costs one hundred grand, Right, I'm not saying they have to pay right, sources bore one hundred thousand, but you've got to continue operating your business and you've got to actually try and get it through.
Speaker 4: Yep. Yeah, so we have. We actually have twenty two people on staff that do nothing but fill out those applications, work with the manufacturers, do the testing, submit the applications to CARB. We do that at a loss. But the idea is that we are helping manufacturers. We're a trade organization and we're here to service the industry and to be helpful to the industry. We make our money off of our segment trade show and pri I trade shows, and then of course we also have a membership dues and so we make our money that way, and we reinvest that money into the marketplace to help manufacturers and to help the industry grow. So even though we do charge a fee for that testing and all that, it's at a loss and all the form application and all that. But the goal is to make sure that our manufacturers can safely sell products, not get fined by EPA or CARB and get through this process which can be definitely very urgency.
Speaker 3: And I mean, how many members do you have to pay dues?
Speaker 4: About seven thousand members of pay dues, but you know many many more than that that benefit from our all of our legislative work, you know, all those sorts of things that we do. So you know, it's there to protect the industry.
Speaker 1: And what are hardcore race guys?
Speaker 4: What is who are race cars are? More so, it's everything from the weekend warrior guy that gets out to.
Speaker 1: His amateur racers.
Speaker 4: It can be amateur racing, but we also get the indie car guys there, the NASCAR guys there, the we're tied into Formula one. We're actually the FAI representatives for the US. So it's everything from you know, you know, I've got a nine year old grandson, now that's racing, and so it's everything from those sorts of guys to to pro semi pro to pro.
Speaker 5: What is your the open wheel guys from the NASCAR guys now right ever since the KMAG incident a couple.
Speaker 4: Of weeks ago, yeah, yeah, yeah, so yeah, definitely, uh yeah, so all of that, all that and talk about testosterone, it's all of that there at the pr I show as well. So it's it's awesome, it's there are the two premiere shows in the US.
Speaker 5: By the way, do you see more, Mike, do you see more women getting involved not just in racing but in the aftermarket, working in garage? Is because, at least in the media, it's portrayed that way.
Speaker 3: You see these shows and.
Speaker 5: There are women working in the garage that are, you know, obviously doing the same things the guys are doing.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's gotten much much bigger and we continue to fuel that. We we have these councils and networks, we have these different groups that of just groups that we work with as well, and one of them is the SEEMA Business Women's Network SBN. So we've been feeding that now for thirty years. We started that group thirty years ago where women get together and talk about business and talk about things that they're doing in the industry, and we do a lot of work with them. We do seminars with them, we do a lot of things to promote them. But definitely more than ever, and you know, we're seeing a lot more women, not just in the business side, not just in the marketing side and the sales side and the you know, we've got women running companies. Our chairperson right now, Money White, runs Hellwig and pretty big company that makes swave oars and suspension components. She is the chairwoman of SEMA. So definitely a lot of women in the industry that are now even doing welding and mechanics and all those sorts of things. So we continue to fuel that as well. And excited to see it.
Speaker 1: Mike, did you guys get involved in the right to repair conversation at all too? I know, Matt is Matt's dying to hear more.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a debate, I think, yeah, for sure, we are in the bulls eye of it of it for sure.
Speaker 4: Boy. So in a few areas we're definitely right to repair. We're really pushing right to modify some more than just right to repair. We need the ability to modify vehicles and do it safely. And then of course we're also involved in the military right to repair, so there's that legislative effort going on as well that you know on the give you an idea on the right to modify. We're doing a lot of work now where and these are through our SEEMA garages. Again, with all the technology that's coming out, with the ability of self breaking, lane change, departure warning, all those technologies that are on vehicles today, we're doing a lot of work to understand what happens when you modify the vehicle, and especially since some of those are going into law twenty twenty nine, self breaking becomes law, so vehicles have to have that on their cars when they sell them brand new. So, for example, we're doing a lot of work to understand what happens when you lift a truck or you lower a car, what are those cameras and all those sensors seeing, and what happens when you modify the suspension on that vehicle. What happens when you put a larger tirre wheel on a truck, mean, even if it's for use in off road or for commercial purposes and you're putting, you're modifying that suspension and modifying even the tire size and wheel size. Those cameras at that point are seeing different things. And so we've done a lot of both dynamic and static testing on a lot of vehicles to understand what's going on. So we're pushing hard on the right to modify, to be able to say, look to the oees, you know, or safety purposes, we're going to need to be able to modify the vehicle. We're going to need to understand and get into the canvas and get into the software or get into whatever is needed to adjust those sensors so that we can safely modify vehicles. And that's just good for everybody.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I I say that.
Speaker 5: I Initially my thought is I want to be able to repair and modify any of my own vehicles, right, It's sort of in my libertarian nature to want to do that. On the other hand, I could understand if a company has software that they don't want anybody else to be able to get into remember that wired story when those guys hacked into somebody's jeep and to turn it off on the highway like that could become a serious concern if anybody able to, you know, to access these systems. So I get the I get, then I get the worries that you have from Jim Farley for example that board.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, we look, we do too, and that's where the OIS and seem I have to work together. We've been able to that on a mission's compliance, right, we have to modify fuel timing, all those sorts of things when you're putting a supercharger on a vehicle, and we've been able to do that, and we've been able to do that safely and with emission's compliance and to do all the things and save the warranties and do all those sorts of things, and you know, even things to air intakes, exhausts, all those sorts of things which can actually you know, improve performance even gas mileage. And we've been able to do that safely. So there are ways to safely modify vehicles. And you know, the consumer owns the vehicle right and his ability to continue to modify and to customize and individualize and even again for industrial purposes for you know, think about contractors, all those sorts of things. This has become a deal. But also, Matt, think about taking your twenty twenty nine corvette now out to the racetrack and you dive into a corner and you dive into the apex and the things self breaks not going to be fun or you.
Speaker 5: I imagine that the corvette engineers will have considered that as well, you know, But I get your yeah, point, what's the military right to repair? It can't be that you're out in the desert in a humbye and some foreign country and all of a sudden you're not able to.
Speaker 3: You know, change the exhaust.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's more like even the ability to repair. So the military right to repair. The military should have the right to repair and maintain vehicles they own without being dependent on the original manufacturers. Currently, these defense manufacturers own the rights to repair those vehicles. And so there's strong consideration the National Defense Authorisation, the NDAA is looking at this, and this is one of those things where there's BiPOL partisan support. We actually have President Trump and Senator Elizabeth Warren on the same side of this, who are definitely different sides of the political spectrum who both agree on this piece of legislation. But what it also does is it opens up the ability for aftermarket companies that Seemer represent to develop accessories in different products for those vehicles. So we're big proponents of this thing. There's actually four hundred and twenty thousand ground vehicles and one hundred and seventy thousand non tactical vehicles that the military owns. I was just recently talking to somebody from GM Defense and they would be very open to having Seeman manufacturers develop different after market products, maybe different bumpers, maybe tire handlers, you know, all sorts of things accessories, But we currently can't bid on that sort of work because it belongs to the original manufacturers who are the only ones that can do anything to those vehicles. It also drives a cost because of that, So I think it's time for this bill. Obviously we seemed to be getting by a Parson support on it, so it should be in the next now National Defense Authorization Act in the NDAA that we can have a look at.
Speaker 1: Mike, can we talk about your own cars for a minute. I know, I know you also are a collector in a restore. What are you driving these days? And what do you have any projects? Let's get to the real stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh man, So yeah, I'm definitely a car guy. Look, I grew up in this industry. I've been blessed. I've been in this industry now over fifty years.
Speaker 1: Where are you from Detroit? Are you from Southern No, I'm.
Speaker 4: From Southern California. Okay, I'm born and raised Southern California. Got into the automotive industry actually in high school I worked at pet Boys, and then right out of high school, while I was going to college, worked in a a in a oe dealership in Dots and dealership back then before it became Nissan, and spend a lot of time the import car parts business, bought and sold a few companies over the years. And so, you know, it's one of those deals where they say, if you if you love what you do, you don't work a day in your life. I'm not sure if that's quite true, but I've been in this industry over fifty years and it's all I've ever done and love it. And so anyway to your question, I've owned I know I've owned north of one hundred cars over the years and modified and built different cars, and everybody always asked me what my favorite car is, and I always say the next one I'm going to buy, because that becomes my favorite until i'm the next one.
Speaker 3: But one, which one? Do you regret selling the most?
Speaker 4: Oh? Gosh, every one of them? But I did early on. I had a nineteen sixty two for two fifty gte that and now I'm going back a lot of years. But I bought it for six thousand dollars and I sold it for ten thousand dollars is to buy my first house, and I know that cars are a million dollars today.
Speaker 1: Did you think that was a good sale at the time?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 1: Did you think that was a good sale at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we made the money, and yeah I did the money, and I needed the money for you know, in investment in California and at home, so I didn't do too bad. But boydcher love to have that. I've had some old Porsches. I've had a lot of race cars in early Japanese cars got some five tens and two forty disease and all that. I have a few of those now, and you know the problem is, I don't have time to play with them. So this job keeps me pretty busy. You know, I love it, But I do travel a lot. I do. I'm involved in a lot of industry. I'm involving a lot of legislation. I just got back from Macau, China. Well, we are the US representative for the FIA is the group that oversees Formula one, and I'm the President of the of the FIA for the US for Mobility. And so we had the World Convention there, one hundred and twenty nine countries represented about four hundred and fifty people, and I presented a couple of papers. So, you know, I get to do that kind of stuff. I get to work alongside of everybody. I let me.
Speaker 1: Ask you really quick. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have to ask, does this mean we're going to have an F one race in in you know, somewhere in addition to Singapore, you know, Macau, or Thailand or India, somewhere in that neck of the woods.
Speaker 4: All that discussion is ongoing right now. Sly Oh actually does some of the smaller races right now. There was I just read this morning and I haven't confirmed this yet, but I just read this morning that there might be a second race in Las Vegas because they had to counsel a couple of races this year, so I don't know that for sure. But and BYD, which is the big Chinese manufacturer, might be the next manufacturer to join Formula one, So that's the talk. There's also talk about going back to a V eight engine, So lots of cool stuff going on.
Speaker 3: Yep, that would be that would be amazing.
Speaker 5: When you said by D, I mean, I think it's cool to have the more the merrier, right in terms of manufacturers, but they are primarily an electric car manufacturer, and that's I mean, I think most everyone agrees that the fifty to fifty power train is.
Speaker 3: Just not as exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's looking really strong that they're going to go back to the V eight engine. Mohammed Minsliam, who's head of FIA. I spent quite a bit of time with him last week. He comes to the SEMA show every years. He's a big fan of SEMA, but he is committed to going back to a V eight and.
Speaker 5: More and more manufacturers are choosing going back to a V eight and GM is boosting the displacement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I have, like I think the new corvettes are going to have what a six point eight liter BA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole discussion on the you know, we were part of that, the whole legislation that Trump signed about the EV mandates. So here in California, starting twenty twenty six, thirty five percent of vehicles sold had to be EV. We were against that. Look, we think EV technology is cool, we think it's part of the future, but we think that consumers should have choice depending on what they want to drive and how they want to drive it. We also believe that you shouldn't stifle innovation. So if you just pit one technology over another, you're really stifling. I mean, you know, look, America was built on innovation, and so there's synthetic fuels, there's hydrogen, there's all sorts of different fuel technologies that are coming under Hybrid now is taken over, right, I mean, so there's all these technologies that should continue to be moved being forward along with EV and so we've been big proponents of that. That was actually our wording was in that bill that Trump signed. I got to go to the White House for that signing, which was pretty cool. But yeah, so you know, b YD will definitely have to adapt to hybrid some sort of technology or B eight technology, depending on how the rules come out. But it's looking like twenty thirty will be the time frame for that to happen.
Speaker 5: All right, But let's get back to your cars, Mike. Well, I heard you were out there on any given Sunday as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, you know, we a lot, so my kids. I've got two, I've got three kids, my two boys and a daughter. My two sons are in the automotive industry. My daughter's to stay at home mom. But I've got fine grandkids. And now we've started We've done road racing and different aspects of go karting and road racing and all that over the A is a family. We're now doing off road racing. We got into the off road side of it, and so even my nine year old grandson is getting his off road vehicles six feet up in the air and running on racetracks across. So we have quite a few side by sides and dirt pikes, and but off road race cars is kind of where we've been playing along with just off road and the dirt, you know, going out camping and those sorts of things. And then gosh. I've sold a few cars recently, but I still have some Japanese cars and Dots and two forty z's and five tens, and in the middle of restoring a sixty seven Dots and Roadster Solex model which they only made a few hundred of and so when I get time, I've been playing with that as well. My daily is a Porsche Macon GTS, which is which is a fun car but responsible. I guess that's the CEO I've seen.
Speaker 1: I drove burn one of those for in a day. It was great, Okay, yeah car for that.
Speaker 4: So and I'm always buying and selling cars.
Speaker 3: I just s on the con GTS.
Speaker 5: Did you chip it, put on a new down pipe and do the exhaust legally?
Speaker 4: Yes? Emissions compliant yes, so no downpipe, but but it may have some modifications in different tires and wheels.
Speaker 1: Now, are you on bring a trailer? Like are you looking? Is this where you're finding your cars? Because yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: That is. That's an addiction that I try to stay away from. But yeah, bring a trailer is definitely one of those. I bought my ass and Martin and bring a trailer. I do bid from time to time. And hold my breath and yeah, that's that's that's a car junkies definitely site to be on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, models, Sorry, I'm.
Speaker 4: Just always looking. I'm always uh, you know, window shopping or just kind of understanding. You know, I wouldn't mind getting a Alpha Romeo kind of had my eyes on, you know, maybe a GTV. I don't, I don't, I don't know, I don't know. I go through these times when I already don't have time to drive everything. You know, what's the bad side of this is this like I'll pull a car out of storage and that I haven't driven in six months, and of course it needs to get work done because it's been sitting. And then I get it running, and then I drive it for a couple of days, and then I put it back in storage and I go through this repeat cycle where you know, I've got to I got to pull them out. But that is my addiction. I admit. Hi, I'm Mike Spagnola, and I am addicted to cars.
Speaker 1: So yes, you're among friends. Don't worry your kids.
Speaker 5: Kids would help you as when you're nine year old and seven more years you can have him driving uh everything you got in that in that garage. What about Pebble, Do you go to Monterey Because we were just talking about out with John to Marion about he thinks they need to have a supercar class there like everything that you and I love obviously in the sixties, and the pre work stuff also is still going to be there, but there needs to be a place for a Lamborghini Diablo.
Speaker 4: You know, I agree. You know, the market's constantly changed. I tell the story all the time, my dad aspired to have an old Packerd or a Model Ay or those sorts of things, and those cars got to be very expensive, and now they've fallen off. And you know, there was the sixties muscle car original you know, vin number, original engine, and then it went to restaurmat and of course the Japanese car scene's pretty hot right now. The supercar scene has become huge and it's gone to Pebble and Matt if you've been there, you know that, you know it's really been overtaken out by supercars. And I agree, I think there needs to be a supercar class. I think it's going to continue to change, and you know you have to flex with it. Will the pack and the Royals races and all these rare cars still be up on the lawn at Pebble. Yeah, for sure, I see that for many years to come. But people's taste change and prices change, and you know, I mean, go look and try to collect an old Ferrari right now and see what the value you know, of those sorts of things are. Yeah. So, yes, I do go to Pebble Beach, I will admit. And it's funny because I've gotten three requests to go up and present there. I'm not going this year. I have so much travel and so much work that I do, and I'm very passionate about my job in the industry and moving that ball along and legislative work and all those things to go with it. That I promised my wife we would go to Hawaii for nine days, you know, August, and it's during Pebble Beach Week, and I'm going to stick to it. So that's how I stayed married for forty three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, for you, dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the right choice I am. I am.
Speaker 1: You know what, Pebble will be there for you next year too.
Speaker 4: It will. And I got kind of funny side story. No matter where we go, I always find the car people and I'm sure, I'm going to find them in Hawaii. And we had last year, we had we decided for our anniversary to go to Italy and I promised I would not do any car things and we end up just tripping on by mistake, several car events and people that we knew there. So those things happened to me. Everywhere we go. The car guys and women always find each other, just car people find each other no matter where you go. And they got one hundred stories like that. But that's just what happens.
Speaker 3: It's true, it's not untrue.
Speaker 5: Well, dude, I'm happy that you do what you do, and I I really hope to get to go to SIMA because you know, there are people like you say, who want the original event in the original engine. But for me, it's it's all about kind of making it everything that I get my own, you know, and it doesn't matter if that's a Harley Sportster or you know, this seven sixty.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for an exhaust for this thing.
Speaker 5: Like I I want to car be able to change the you know, interior would out, or I want to put new wheels on obviously everything, and so I love the aftermarket and it also gives me. I spend so much time on forums. Whatever car I'm currently, motorcycle, I'm currently I mean, I'll almost always do Cotties and Harley's, but nice live on those forums, you know, and I learn, and that's for me.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is about that, you know.
Speaker 4: So listen, we're a fifty four billion dollar year the aftermarket performance parts seem as a fifty four billion dollar year industry, three hundred and thirty seven billion to the economic impact of the US one hundred one point two million American jobs. So it is a big industry. It is a passion industry. Math. There's millions like you out there, you know, that have the same addiction you and I have, and I'm excited to be part of it in the fleet SEEMA.
Speaker 7: Cool, Well, I hope I see you at the show, dude, same man, we'll hang out, all right.
Speaker 5: That was our conversation with Mike Stagnola, the CEO of SEEMA and also an active board member at the f i A, which is pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, the stuff he told us about F one is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Fascinated. I want to know all that gossip because you know it's gonna there's something. There's something happening.
Speaker 5: Well, they do have to repeat races or or hold more this season.
Speaker 7: Do they?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: I kind of thought they were just going to skip completely. I hadn't heard this thing about multiple I just kind of heard, Okay, we're going to pass and keep moving forward.
Speaker 2: I know that when.
Speaker 5: Moto GP has had a problem, they had floods in Valencia and so they couldn't hold what is traditionally the last race at Chess. They they just held one somewhere else. Like they they are fairly flexible. I guess F one is an even bigger circus. But I'm sure that they can add a race if they need to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thro you know, revive an old track. That that's easy, you know, bring it back.
Speaker 2: I didn't even wash last weekend. I still haven't seen it. I guess because I was having a baby.
Speaker 1: Well, you had other priorities.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But anyway, it'll be cool if they do bring back the V eights, And it'll be cool if I can actually get to Sema this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come to come to Monterey, make make that. Is there a reason are you doing family stuff in August? Is there a reason?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: But Mike is taking his wife to Hawaii, but I don't have anything planned.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna be dealing with this infant child.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, right right right, Well, at some point I think you will.
Speaker 2: At some point I have to go. I'm not sure if I come past this summer.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, and I'm not even going to suggest it because I respect the woman.
Speaker 2: But at some point, in any case, there's a lot, there's a lot of stuff to do. We still have to go on the raptor rally. You have to go.
Speaker 1: I know I ain't got to pitch. You know, I'm pitching that you do it. I know my editor doesn't know it yet, but I've already got to I've already got to pitch because I think it'd be a great piece on on exactly this idea that like people are spending so much money. It's like people are doing it.
Speaker 5: Mike Spagnola, his whole family is off road. You know that Farley's obsessed with it. We've got Danny Ricardo going out there with this. I mean, it's going to be sick.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Call my editor, I'll give you her number. Make a pitch for me.
Speaker 4: We'll do.
Speaker 5: I got a run that does it for this week's That does it for this week's show. Remember to follow and subscribe to Hot Pursuit on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you listen. You can also send us your comments email us at hot Pursuit at bloomberg dot net.
Speaker 1: And you can check out my columns and Matt's TV show on Bloomberg dot com and the Bloomberg Business app and Bloomberg TV. Go there for car reviews, events and stories that you won't find anywhere else. Find it all at Bloomberg dot com, slash Pursuits, slash Autos. I'm Hannah Elliott, I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in your podcast feed again next week