Speaker 1: Cood Cash here.
Speaker 2: I'm here right now with my unks boot Podcast.
Speaker 3: Boot Podcast, and we have air forces and the boot Pods.
Speaker 2: Man, Nah, listen, we hear the Bootleg CAV Podcast over.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 1: Before we start the episode, we're gonna remind everybody, man, we got one of the biggest radio shows in the country, syndicated in almost one hundred cities all over. Shout out to iHeartRadio. All right, some of the latest cities that we've been able to add. Man, we want to give a shout out to ninety three point nine the Beat in Honolulu. That's right, Hawaii, We over there going crazy. I also want to give a shout out Hot ninety eight three and Tucson. Shout out to Tucson going crazy. Also want to give a shout out to Wild ninety four one in Tampa going crazy. We just got Richmond. We also just got the good folks in Bakersfield at Hot one of four to seven. So we're going crazy on the radio with my partner James Andre Jefferson Junior for the Bootleg CAV Show. So make sure you tune in and you can listen anywhere on that iHeartRadio app. That's right, let's get into the interview Boutlet Cap Podcast. We got a special guest in here. My guys pulled up shout to Generation Now, always involved and always bringing new talent to the to the the same man, DJ Drama Don Cannon, I want you to introduce your news artists from Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's up, everybody, We're here on boutlet keV, our brother, our family, and h we brought the newest signee of Generation Now to the table, to the family, to our guy. He goes by the name of ky Cash from Brooklyn. Yeah, and he is gonna be on the Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great intro. I don't think it's it's better than that.
Speaker 3: Man, I can't follow that, okay, I mean ship like okay, you know, keV, we don't been here before, like we done did this before. You know, it's it's it's kind of fun sometimes when it's you know, you feel like good underdog situation, even you know, when you have so many wins, so many successes. But I mean when we first met Kai and we first were introduced, like it was it was a studio session where you know, he just kept playing record after record after record. He was blown away, you know what I'm saying, just to you know, hear those bars, and especially in the climbing of today, where you know, you only have a real handful of artists doing the type of music that he's doing right and can really like you know, come to the table and really he's really from the cloth.
Speaker 4: So you know, that's always been exciting.
Speaker 1: Dream Bill fast this weekend too, Yes, sir, Saturday, last stream Bilfest. I'm super excited. You know.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of performance hit is that I always get before I get on stage, but other than that, it's just like, hell no.
Speaker 1: So how did you get on these guys radar? Because this is not an easy radar to get on. Facts, it's not an easy cold to crack. I'm just working for real.
Speaker 2: Some mutuals always put the bug in the air, but it's just like doesn't always work right. So finally it came to Fruition and it was just like, yo, let's let's sit down, let's just see.
Speaker 5: What we can.
Speaker 1: Let's just listen to the music first and foremost the most important part. Want to go play the music, and we hear, yeah, what part of Brooklyn you're from? I'm from East New York by way a bed style. My dad is from the sty old family from the sty so so for people who don't understand, like East New York because it's is I feel like we we shocked some ship in the East New York before. What is the vibe over there?
Speaker 2: East New York is the last East New York and Brownsville are like the last places that are gentrified in Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: That's I should tell you that aren't right right right right right? That aren't my bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that should tell you everything that you need to know about it. I feel like if they ever tried to gentrify Brownsville, like I don't think will come with a hipsters.
Speaker 6: I feel like, yeah, you know it, don't It just don't make no sense.
Speaker 2: Like it's like the grit of Brooklyn for real, and it still is. It still looks the same, still feels the same, is it?
Speaker 4: Like? By the way, MP is probably in the whole foods as we speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shots, it's crazy like our favorite like rappers from New York are like super healthy now shots and ship.
Speaker 4: Gz somewhere you know, drinking a wheat grass shot right.
Speaker 1: Jada Kisses is literally all types of pull ups So I was checking out some of your ship. I saw you you obviously tapped in with the l A Boys. I saw you got some ship with Greedo. Yeah, shout out to Greedo. I got a song with Chick that it's old the joint. I'm trying to get him back in the studio. What a new Chick before the Kendrick ship. Yeah yeah, I mean we all did shot the fact shout out, Yeah for sure. So uh give me kind of like man like, like what your influences, Like who are you listening to? Like you know, because I was listening to your ship and like they said, like I'm like, oh, this ship is like like you really doing this hip hop ship rapping. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Craziest thing is I listened a little bit of everything. Like I'm a fan of music in this entirety, like even the dumb shit, but like growing up find dumb shit, dumb ship Like it's this, it's this song called Phoebe Phoebe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's to me is fire, you know what I really loved as hell, But it's ship like that, like I fuck with it, Like yeah, he's like he's the most hilarious artist alive, Like ours are so disrespectfully offensive. He don't he don't.
Speaker 6: Care at all of it, but he just doesn't get And that's that's my thing.
Speaker 2: Like when you hear me, you wouldn't think I would even listen to somebody like Dave Bloods, but I'll be listening to everything, like my ear is just open. But growing up, it was more so like what I seen. It was Mace, it was chay Zy, it was big fifty cent Lloyd Banks.
Speaker 1: You think Double Up is slept on, Yeah, yeah, I do think so.
Speaker 2: But I don't think it's better than Hallom World though, But I do think it's slept on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Double Uve has some ship on it. Yeah, it did, definitely. Yeah, so Mace is up there for you. Yeah, it's been kind of cool to watch Mace turn into like facts podcaster. Yeah, that shit is fine because he's hilarious. You know, I'm like really disappointed in the guys that you decided to do business with because they pumped faked this well, this fucker right here, Like, you know, I'm gonna do a podcast for like six episodes and then disappear and stop doing it.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm been doing another season.
Speaker 1: The problem is is people like DJ drama, have the biggest podcast in the world and hip if he but all he wanted to do was come and get a bag and then disappear the Silver Surfer.
Speaker 6: I'm still should definitely do a part problem.
Speaker 1: You should have the biggest hip hop podcast in the world's can't you put your ship behind a paywall or something crazy?
Speaker 4: No, I put it out through Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: That's where you fucked up. But they gave you a bag, so take that bag and then you know, launch a whole new podcast.
Speaker 3: That's not a bad idea because they get Calid a bag. Well I don't know, but they gave me one. Shout to Kenya Barras.
Speaker 1: But yo, for real, like nobody should be fucking with you in this space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know again, it's it's very oversaturated right now.
Speaker 1: So it is.
Speaker 4: If I if I was to, it'd be like me trying to.
Speaker 3: After the Rush try to come out with a DJ record with like artists on it, like in twenty sixteen, like a little late.
Speaker 4: Yeah you feel me. So, I mean, I'm not opposed to it.
Speaker 3: But the reason why you brought it up, which is so dope, is because of how Mason can pivoted and did like a sports podcast. So if I was to do something, I would like to do something with a.
Speaker 4: Twist to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I'm saying. Yeah, you could talk about.
Speaker 4: But again anything again, I mean I did.
Speaker 3: I did have one season run with the Gangster Grills podcast. We just do you on the ID episodes? Yeah, me and Kenya on it together. Yeah, and I still have the visual from it that I haven't put out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't do any visuals.
Speaker 4: Huh, No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: You just did the whole shit wrong.
Speaker 5: Stuff.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was I mean, but you know, I don't want to say because because of the bag, I chose to go in the directions. But obviously it would have been nice to have the video that come out with it.
Speaker 1: You have your own, like like actual headquarters where you could shoot it like you don't need anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we want to do a whole documentary about all that too, So that's still in the works.
Speaker 4: We got the.
Speaker 3: Affiliate story, the Gangster Grill story, the Generation Now story, the Mean Street studio story.
Speaker 1: So are you guys going to do a documentary about just like the you know, the late two thousand run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're still trying to figure out and what context that we want to tell all the stories, Like is it four part series where we go through the different time periods? It two separate ones, you know what I'm saying. So we're still trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up listening to Gangster Girls? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Started from maybe like dedication to I think was the first one that I kind of.
Speaker 2: Got familiar with drama was and Cannon, and then from there I just kept just like I kept hearing them. It was inevitable. It's like they did every mixtape. So I've been tapped in for quite some time end in my whole life.
Speaker 1: Some of the most slept on mixtapes of all time to matter facts, it's the brother a little I haven't even got that far, That's what I'm saying, Little Brothers, the Mad Gangster Girls taps. I've never heard Skateboard P One two, heard that one, classic, super classic, Hey Druma, what do you think is your most underrated mixtape of all time? And maybe didn't necessarily get like the the eyes of like a dedication.
Speaker 3: To and.
Speaker 4: Hm hmm, there's uh Jeremiah Late Nights, Oh for sure, Yeah, that was it. That was slept on.
Speaker 3: What I consider Chris Brown in my zone, slept on. He came off that joint, A smash came off. Yeah, there was no bullshit was on there. Yeah, the second one, Deuces was on there. So yeah, it was a couple of songs that came off that tape.
Speaker 4: What what I mean?
Speaker 3: Me and beat Out have this argument a lot of times. I don't feel like Crenshaw gets counted as a gangster girls as much as it should. That's one, It's so there's so many What else is a slept one must have left there?
Speaker 5: Slept on the girls?
Speaker 4: Huh? I was just about to say that.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say that one next I'm still going in rich preloaded.
Speaker 4: I think that was the name of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way is one ship. Yeah, bad love just different pocket like after Christian and you guys should fucking spin the block on like eggster grills, just because I wouldn't be opposed to that. You're kind of like, standon Taylor gang already thirty tours.
Speaker 4: And that's I'm definitely tell a gang that's family for life.
Speaker 1: Uh do you get just like you know, I feel like Don Cannon's speaking of slept on one of the most slept on the greatest producers of all time. Facts do you just get like your your first pick on Beazzer? Just like yeah, yeah, so you get.
Speaker 2: To pull up before you like now he'll just come in in the in the studio and just open the laptop and just start playing ship Like he'll play chops, the simple chops with this Yep.
Speaker 1: Even if I don't fuck it, Yep, I need it. Yeah, he's all right sending it to you leave. Are you like, are you like actively producing? Like with him and mine are.
Speaker 7: Actively well because he's there. It's like I know that he's gonna up on certain things that this game is really missing, Like I'm going to certain artists they're not in that bag anymore.
Speaker 1: But he's in that bag.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, Okay, I'm in that bag. Let me get there.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm in a hip hop state of mind right now. You know we're purist, So sometimes I just get in that mode where it's like, man, I know we're gonna make something special because I'm in that I'm in that mode.
Speaker 1: Is it like we're freshed? Obviously, not to get into the politics of what happened with Kendrick and Drake. But do you feel like the Kendrick moment at least brought like a certain level of like fans being a little more cognitive to the lyricism one thousand.
Speaker 7: Per It brought so much to it. I mean it invited invited other people to try their hand in bars.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. You've seen Joey Badass just jump in.
Speaker 1: And just yeah, people were manager. I'm like, why don't mad at Joey. Joe's one of the ones like this.
Speaker 7: I'm supposed to inviting people to be excited about rapping again. And that's what that's how we clear up the belly of hip.
Speaker 3: Hop, like you know what I mean, make it interesting, not even just fans, but like the artists too, artists exactly. I think everybody looked at after that time period, this time last year and the months that ensued afterwards, like I think everybody felt like we got to step our ship up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think too. It's like you see, you know how you think about the Big Three, like all of them are like lyrical killers, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And it's been like that forever and generations and.
Speaker 1: The error is like those like that for trying to tell everybody. I'm like, yo, if y'all see the artists who are here forever, they got longevity. None of them are whack.
Speaker 4: Yeah they're killers.
Speaker 1: Yeah a little way, they'll have a little you know, two three year run. But then it's like, well, ship, what happened? A little pop? I don't know, you know what I'm saying, not to take your shot a little pump, but but yeah, no, I think I think that's why, you know, it's dope to see, you know. I mean, I think Jack's like that too, man Like I think like Jack had Remia motherfuckers he could rap when he dropped that Jackman Ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah absolutely, I think you know that was his whole point in doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little punch in the throat. What's up with his new uh? His new album? Is it? Is it done?
Speaker 4: Is it come?
Speaker 1: I know the single with Dose.
Speaker 5: Cats out, he's actively working on it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I just feel like he's still looking for a satisfying moment for him as far as lyrics and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: You know, these guys are writers, you know him, and they're writers.
Speaker 7: They're sitting there and just going through the best lines, best possible idea they can and that takes time, you know. That's how we used to do it back in then, like three four years sometimes to make an album because they were trying to come up with the best ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Back in the day, people used to really like, damn, when is when is NAS gonna drop again? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: The living experience, you know what I mean, just going out there.
Speaker 6: That's why you could appreciate like Tyler so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially because he makes such a moment out of it too, and like in every album or every season, similar to like someone like Outcasts is like it's not comparable to the last Like that's that doesn't happen that often these days.
Speaker 1: It's almost like you have to in order for it to be so unique and like intentional, you have to take your time, yes, Like you can't rush Chromacopia and that rollout. Hey, yo, what's the what's the what's the mood board? Like for this album? What am I gonna wear?
Speaker 4: Right? You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Well, ship, college schemes, all that ship.
Speaker 1: That's what Kanye used to do before. You know, obviously he's got his own mood board. But like you think.
Speaker 3: But speaking of that too, though, he made a very good point I will say in that interview, and not to get controversial, but when he talked when he was talking about like putting an album together and like you know, when you take an album of a certain specific like it needs to be curated to have a certain sound, like you know what I mean, Like for sure, people don't do that any like they don't take it that serious.
Speaker 1: H Kyle, what what's up with you?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: What do you got coming? Man? I know you, I know you dropped a single. Yeah, What you Want just came out? Do you see it?
Speaker 2: Before that? And Cash Rules is coming out on April twenty fifth. It's the first project on the label Cash Rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm just super hype, Like that's why we're out here right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pushing are you? I mean? You know, I think at this point, like Generation now has become like a staple. Yeah for sure if you think about, like appreciate that the legacy of you know, two of the biggest artists of the last decade are facts. You know. Yeah, So is is there any pressure now?
Speaker 5: For me?
Speaker 2: It's more so like I'm just excited because I'm about to be third. That's how I've come into it, Like I know I'm gonna be the third, right I've seen I got the chance to really see, like just as fans first, well as a fan of them first, like how it worked for both of them, Jack and Uzzi, And it's just like, oh, yeah, I'm in this place. I can't do no wrong, right, you know, so I'll be more excited than pressure for real?
Speaker 1: What made you tap in with like the la guys? Really, I used to be out here a lot.
Speaker 2: I used to come out here from when I was like thirteen all the way to maybe twenty nineteen, right before COVID, I was out here, damn man.
Speaker 1: So you were out here, grip Yeah yeah, yeah, family out here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My pops ended up staying out here for ten years. He had a sneaker store, he had hands and I'm reopening world on wheels before COVID.
Speaker 6: Oh dope, Yeah, so I should just be out here. Yeah, so you got fucking ties down?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah's your pop still out here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, he moved back to New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah once COVID, COVID got a little Yeah, COVID fucked everything up. Set in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why I ended up moving to So it was just like I don't being outside over.
Speaker 1: There, like damn, you can still get lapd into Yeah, they close for a weekend. We shout out to the ATM.
Speaker 5: For you.
Speaker 1: Man, Is there anything like obviously would you drop like a you know, I know it's not your debut project. You got a couple of projects out, yeah, but this is like your first like real major major yeah, you know, released with a generation? Now, is there a are you like super cognisant of like yo ship with fifty dropped his first time? I am there was get rid of that? I try and Doggie style, like there's all these kind of like this legacy of like classic first projects you will is that something you you go into thinking about it? I try.
Speaker 2: I try not to put because that feels like pressured to me sometimes like yeah, and it all comes, you know, when you see the end result, it's like, oh, this is legendary. And I feel like Cashrews is gonna be super legendary still, But I don't really pay that too much attention like I have before. But it's just like nah, like more so I'd be like, damn, this Nigga might have got a Grammy nomination of his first mixtape for he made a million on his first mixtape, like how Drake did or how Meek did or something like that, or even like just things in that nature more than like oh this first project with the label so on and so forth, like what can I do with the mixtape?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: That's really how I look at it for the most war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think there's gonna be a reassurgence of the mix tape era? It feels like artists are doing more like on the fly ship and not worry too much about DSPs.
Speaker 4: Like I think there's some nostalgia.
Speaker 3: There's always some nostalgia, So I don't know if I would see I feel like a full resurgence, But I mean, you know, in the last couple of years, obviously, like even after me and Tyler did call me if You Get Lost, there was a huge gangster girls resurgeons, Like you see what Swamp is doing with Cardi, Like even with.
Speaker 4: If you listen to.
Speaker 3: West Side projects a lot, like he has various like drops in there and everything. And then like you said, like you know, artists are going back to some rogue ship.
Speaker 1: Where they even like who Kid getting a drop on the push ups was sick fire.
Speaker 5: But I heard.
Speaker 1: I was like, check out that who Kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I talked when that happened, I hit him like, YO, send me the song. I'm thinking he did, he did it, he had it, But I just literally literally was just placed there just to give you that tape feels.
Speaker 7: You know, people don't notice too well, don't think about it. But Damn was a mixtape. M hm, yes, Capri, that drops off, you know what I mean, So that that was another form of it. I was still the other day. I was like, Damn, it's actually a mixtape. He's doing what Swamp was doing just little you know, I'm sprinkled throughout the whole joint.
Speaker 5: It's dope for sure.
Speaker 1: That Damn put that in perspective. Yeah, shout to kid Capri. Man, he's kind of like the godfather of of course. So yeah, that's wow.
Speaker 4: Man and and ship.
Speaker 3: If you put it like that, it really makes sense since when you think about the mixtapes he was the Godfather, went on to become who he was, and then you know, a project like Damn came out and you know, I didn't even remember Cole put project out and had killer talking at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, when we and Cameron just talking to another that's another Yeah, that's dope. And he had little John at the end.
Speaker 5: That was hard.
Speaker 4: That was hard.
Speaker 1: Dream deal Fest gonna be crazy though. Yeah, I'm hype and it's the last one. I'm kind of mad it's the last one. No, man, I think it's been so I understand, like why though, I feel like the festival game has been bastardized and hoard out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we talk about that all the time.
Speaker 1: I just feel like, you know, and then it also kind of fucked up, like you won't see like artists doing like normal shows anymore because they're just holding out to get a festival bag because they could charge more. So then you won't Like a lot of kids these days, they don't have the experience of going to watching their favorite artists do like a three hundred room or three hundred person cap anymore, because they're just gonna go do like be like the twelfth artists on Coachella or something and look and make it. You know. That's the thing. That's why I respect. There's a lot of artists like Doci. Doci just did her her tour and she did the Crowbar in Tampa, which is like one hundred and fifty people.
Speaker 4: Recently, Yeah, since the Grammy No No, she was.
Speaker 1: Touring this mixtape for this project. She did that tour and I remember even seeing the dates and I was like, Oh, she's doing Crowbar. Wow, that's sick.
Speaker 4: That's fire like.
Speaker 3: But she's smart enough and has people around her to know what it's like to build up to be a have a ticketing fan base, and that's important too.
Speaker 1: I think Boss Mandilo just went through that where he was getting all that all that club money and his team had to be like, hey man, you're gonna suck up your hard ticket bread and then they did their His tour is going crazy.
Speaker 4: Right, that's shot at the Boss Mandlo.
Speaker 1: By the way, you and Boss Mandilo doing a Gangster Girls would be fucking like, that would be classic.
Speaker 4: I like that idea.
Speaker 6: That should be funny as hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that idea that she would be sick because he's kind of like the new Jezy look key like obviously they don't sound the same at all, but like you know, just subject matter.
Speaker 3: That statement has come up before. It's an interesting statement. I love Boss Manilo, I love, I love. Just on the intro, make sure you shout out KIV.
Speaker 1: Trying to move like idea, let's go.
Speaker 4: I would say something way more creative.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, I appreciate it. Let's go.
Speaker 7: It's not a terminology, mister, Thanksgiving Rocko trauma.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come up with.
Speaker 1: Is there any new ak's that you've come up with a topical drama? Who dramatic?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I like that fine, man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's man, it's tough.
Speaker 4: I like it. I'm probably I'm actually in.
Speaker 1: The dramaa Harris. If she would have won, if she would have won, you go.
Speaker 4: With the drama Harris, Right, I'm gonna probably skip that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you couldn't do it now, for many reasons, For many reasons.
Speaker 4: I didn't think about that one.
Speaker 5: My favorite was the iPod King, though I was mad about that. I want to call myself the.
Speaker 6: Bro the iPod Era. I had that big one, that fat silver joint.
Speaker 1: Man. I had so many did you have? No?
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 1: You had the shirts?
Speaker 4: I had the shirts. Yeah, I had the shirts. Somebody had an eye I think they did. Somebody they did.
Speaker 1: Somebody had the iPod they did?
Speaker 3: Who was it?
Speaker 1: But it was like the case I pod used to be man was crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you can still get one, Yeah you can, you can, you can't.
Speaker 5: I'm sure the connected technology.
Speaker 1: About like that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know that PIFF went into bit shot the KP there and this that PIFF bought world Star.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken, I know there's some sort of world Star Piff. I just saw KP do an interview just recently.
Speaker 1: He did something with him.
Speaker 4: He did it with at him, he did. I watched that, So I wouldn't say, like the question you just asked about buying that PIF. What I will say is speaking of mistakes or things that I'm I'm upset that I didn't do.
Speaker 3: Was around that time not making Gangster Grills dot com and when artists were trying to put out Gangster Grills not doing it where it was like, okay, you if we can do it, but we're dropping on Gangster girls dot com. Because I remember the type of money that I was getting paid, initially from loud mixtapes and then from that PIF, and it was I was making more money in that era than I made before the raid, for sure.
Speaker 1: And that was after the raid.
Speaker 4: That was after the raid.
Speaker 1: This was five cashing for the exclusive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were. They were cashing me out for the exclusive.
Speaker 3: I was basically on payroll, so I was getting to check every month just to be exclusive, and then when an artist would come, they would cash me out for the tape up until the artists realized what it was, and then KP had to start cutting the artist checks, which I was totally all for, don't get me wrong. But looking back on and thinking about how how much money was being given to me, which means how much money was being made.
Speaker 4: If I would have made a site and like if.
Speaker 1: You ought to, almost been like, well shit, if they're paying me this much, they must.
Speaker 3: Be feeling enough yeah to cover this and more to be living contently, So why didn't I do this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: But you know it's all the high site.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you there's a lot of artists you guys almost signed.
Speaker 4: How the list is extensive?
Speaker 1: What was like the closest one that people kind of I mean, I don't want you to like air out somebody's like fucking deal situation, but I know that there's a few artists that you guys were talking to that has been it was it was there something that almost got over the finish line that just for whatever reason, just didn't work out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are many.
Speaker 3: I mean we were, we were close to signing Tory Lanes shout to his album's hard.
Speaker 4: To listen to it.
Speaker 1: It's tough, especially all things considered. Yeah, of course, I don't know how he recorded it, but that ship is tough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we quartered a lot, quartered a lot of artists quarter a lot. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: You guys got the compound it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we quord it a lot. I just can't remember now, trying to think. I mean he speaks on it too, huh. Migos, Oh yeah, migos you know spoken on that EESTG recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ot Genesis. I was gonna say that one. Yeah, it's a bunch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is you guys have done such a good job of Like, you guys have had a lot of artists that have worked out, but then you've had some that, like, for whatever reason, don't work out. Right, what from the label side and your guys's perspective, You guys have worn too many hats over the years in this music industry. What is like the I guess it's twenty twenty five things. The rules change every few years in the music game, right when it comes to breaking the artists, what are the things that, like, you guys feel like you're looking for, Like someone has to have a certain trade or they have to have a certain work ethic, or like what is it when it comes to signing and all? Because music, y'all know this more than anybody. I'm sure music is one thing. You could be talented, you could be dope, but that's like just a small part of the pie. You almost got to be coachable, low key.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, But you're also asking for something when you're coming to what you would say the sittaple, like you're asking for us to make you the superstar you want to be. You have to actually be convicted in that word, and you really got to do it, Like you really can't, Like we're not going to do this promo run come to you and you like start rapping and you can't rap or you're not prepared or you're not in this mode, you're not ready to do the songs. You just you really rebellion against everything, but you really want to be that person, and that's what you run into a lot. We run into artists that weren't ready for that stage.
Speaker 1: And it's like it's like, if you want to be Lebron, you got to do Lebron shit.
Speaker 7: And we're convicted in it. So it's like you really want this, Okay, We're going to show you what it takes.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: It's waking up early, it's being in mental shape, It's having all your raps together, it's having your songs together, knowing your information, knowing who you're going to sit down with, knowing what that stage to prepare for. Like you know, it's just a lot of those things that I feel like as artists need to prepare for when they come to us because we're not going to stop right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But you guys also developed talent one thousand, which is a lost art form, which is something like that. I don't like, there's nobody really doing that anymore. Yeah, Like you know, I think like if even if you just look at like like Jack had like some dope projects before fucking What's popping? Yeah, you know what I mean, Like that wasn't like an overnight thing, even though some people might think it was something with Uzy I mean, you guys fucking had Uzy forever. You know, But like what about the key to just kind of helping develop talent, you know, because a lot of people like might be dope, but hey man, you got to work on a live show. You know, you got this, this and this going for you. We're gonna like, let's say ki right, cool Kyle, We're gonna put a tape.
Speaker 4: Out for you.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take you around, introduce you to the public. Like what did y'all's like strategy when it comes to developing a new artist like that maybe isn't known yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we look at ourselves like but it comes to meet Cannon and Lake like the three headed monster in a lot of ways. So when you think about the music business and some of the things you just touched on, like a lot of people or artists, new artists will just come to the table and you know, want to just put a project out and don't understand the other sides of it. Like you know again, like you know, artists early on don't even know the difference or understand the value of you know, going to the club and getting the brown paper bag and being a hard ticket selling artists. You know what that means to to you know, sacrifice going to get that club bag and you know, working your way up through one hundred, one hundred cat venues to three hundred to five hundred and so forth. So when it comes to us, you know obviously, like I'm like the you know, the bullhorn. You know what I'm saying, Like I played the druma role where you know, I can go out and you know, do my one two and you know, shed some light on an artist. Canon is the wizard when it comes to the sound, when it comes to the to the music, you know, to the production, to you know, everything technical and beyond, you know, business business, super business savvy. And then you know, Lake is Lake is, you know, a one man killer himself. You know, for sure, one of the smartest people I've ever met in the music industry outside of being my best friend that I've known for twenty five years.
Speaker 4: And you know what he brings to the table.
Speaker 5: When it comes to the right there, it's real sentimental.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just real shit. I'm speaking, you know what I mean, crying talking facts like I mean, you know, like just watching you know what I mean, Like it's one of those people that can walk in any room with the smartest people and be the smartest person in the room type. So you know, he handles business like you know, he has his input in on the music like you know, nobody has has had a such a successful career when it comes to touring as far as like what he's done with you know, for years before we create a generation now to my career, to Uji's career, to you know, assist him with Jack and you know where we want to see Kay going. So and then you know it's it's we're giving our shoulders of legacy for artists to stand on, you know what I'm saying. So, and I think that's very important, that's very potent, you know what I mean with just what what we've already established and created and you know, the jewels and the wisdom that we can you know give to Kai and you know the other uh.
Speaker 4: We are very boutique label. So the other few artists that we have like or we have our eye on and everything.
Speaker 7: So the shadow what he was saying too, I think our strong point is building legos, like building even though we've worked with houses that already worked with you know what I mean machines that were already moving. I think our strong point is actually building something from ground up. It's something interesting about gratification.
Speaker 3: Gratification for sure, it's a difference in that from the ground up to going out and signing an artist that you know has had that. Everybody's trying to sound right, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, if you're in a bidding war for somebody, it's like exactly yeah. But if like you bring somebody.
Speaker 4: That's that's not that's not exactly what we do. Now. We're not opposed to that as well.
Speaker 3: Like you know, we're all we're all in it to win, but you know, we we get way more gratification and out of the development.
Speaker 5: That's crazy. We've never won a bidding war.
Speaker 1: Part of something, but never won.
Speaker 5: Have we been a part of something where we actually put a bid in or it was other people seeking that artist.
Speaker 4: There's other people seeking that artist.
Speaker 7: Not a bona fide bidding war here. We're offering you this, you know what I'm saying. But we've never been in it. But we've never won nothing either, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But we've had.
Speaker 7: Somewhere we were like, oh, talking to me and we're talking to them too, but we never really, we really never bid it. It was like, Yo, this is a house and if you want to.
Speaker 5: Be here, this is what we expect. This is what you can see moving forward in the future.
Speaker 7: But we never was like here, here's a million dollars sign with us, like we never you know what I'm saying, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: What have you learned, Kai from being around these guys any amount of time you've been signing them, because obviously they're legends. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Mainly just like stick it to your guns. This is what I took away just seeing Dram and Cannon like every day they're still actively working. Like I ain't gonna lie. Before this, I didn't know how active because I'm not thinking about how active DJ Drummer Don Cannon off. But it's like being here, it's just like, nah, these niggas outside they working like young niggas. They're out working young niggas and like, I know, but still still you know what I mean, But it's just like that, and you aging me at the same time.
Speaker 1: Just say veterans, yeah, yeah, yeah, I get the young.
Speaker 2: One of the main reasons why even came to Gen now while we you know, came together, is which I was just talking about the development and I've seen that. It's like they take pride in building artists up. I felt like for me, being an artist that had dreams of being signed to a label, we kind of lost those you know recipes, and it was just like, damn, they don't even develop nobody Nomore. It's like you gotta go viral, you get signed, you fall off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the allure of like back in the day, like man, I'm trying to get sign. People don't give a fuck about that shit Nomore. They just want to catch up.
Speaker 2: What they want, they want to grab and I don't know nobody that could do it on their own because I before I got here, I was doing a lot of good shit on my own. But it's just like Nigga, that has always been my dream. I know what type of system I want.
Speaker 1: I just say this, like any artists who like, like there's one side of being independent, it's great, but not everyone's La Russell exactly.
Speaker 6: That was the example I was going to bring up, Like La Russell is like an alien literally, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. So it's like that man has his own thing going and it works for him. If you're an artist and you're like, yo, I want to make music, Yeah, I want to focus on the creative aspect. You have to kind of It might not be a label, it might be a management team, but you gotta, like, you gotta put a team together. You have to because otherwise I tell people, man, the most frustrating shit. I'll see his artists who just like put music out and hope for the best that don't work. Ever, there's too much music. But that shit happens all the time.
Speaker 6: You'll see artists dropping and I'm like, yeah, but like because it's get spoiled.
Speaker 2: What's the You get the chance to see somebody might have done something that looks similar to that and not knowing they had a whole team, and.
Speaker 1: A lot of a lot of artists be pocket watching too much bout not even necessarily mean dollars, but they'll just like be pocket watching people's attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's why a lot of people always go wrong. Like you know, you can't you can't trust someone else's process. Facts like you know your your time and your energy and when what you put into the game, like is it's your path. You know what I'm saying, like you know, I mean Kevin, you know, like how we all came up? Like you know, I've been doing this shit since I was thirteen. How do you guys, I'm about to be forty seven, I'm thirty eight.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty eight. I'm actually thirty eight. So I'm gonna say I was a kids grille. I probably got a decade. I was tro I was stroll. Yeah, I was like, damn, we're both thirty eight. Were talking crazy teen when you did Canada Real Child? Probably? How isn't that record like twenty years old? Now? Is the record twenty years?
Speaker 4: It'll be twenty next year?
Speaker 1: Twenty one? When I made it, I made it in two thousand and four. Out he's twenty one.
Speaker 5: No, I was twenty four to two thousand and four. I was twenty five years four five.
Speaker 3: Jesus was young niggas though twenty Yeah, young niggers. But it's twenty years is Trapp or die? It will be twenty years of dedication to next year? Crazy coming out on twenty years on all those tapes, Bro.
Speaker 1: What a time?
Speaker 4: Why did you ask our age?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, because I just wanted to see how off he was calling y'all old, because I'm I'm like an unk to a lot of these moth Like three one old baby calls me unk. I'm like, full, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean he youngest's youngest, I mean in high school exactly, right, Yo, I have a nineteen years old yo.
Speaker 1: That's the worst part. Does I'll be interviewing artists like I interviewed that kid, baby.
Speaker 6: Kia K from Atlanta, right, yeah, like seventeen, and I was like, wait, how old are you?
Speaker 1: And he told me. I was like fuck, And I'm like, oh, it makes sense. I'm having a conversation with a juvenile essentially.
Speaker 4: But you know, I got past that, or not past that. But we went through that early because but.
Speaker 1: You didn't have to interview these motherfuckers and get them to be interesting as children.
Speaker 3: I went through a period like we were still we were still doing interviews when we're doing like Chade forty five, right right right, right, right, right, right right. You know, I've definitely I've done my fair share of interviews with artists who you got it, they're not the easiest to talk to correct figuring that's part out. But early on a lot of our peers got hipped to UZI because of their kids. So that was one of the times where it kind of came full circle where you know, people that like in our eras and beyond where hitting us up about records because of their kids, you know what I'm saying. So that's always kind of fun to see, you know what I'm saying. I mean, my daughter is about to be twenty four this year, So I'm in a lot.
Speaker 5: I feel like we was OG's in two thousand and I feel.
Speaker 1: Like they called us they were.
Speaker 3: We were in it for five years officially, I just got into the league, but it was Big Brog like early.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, that was, uh you when is it the Pirico tape coming out?
Speaker 4: What's the date on it?
Speaker 1: Because that ship he just dropped that music. That ship was tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just we just shot some ship yesterday and it's gonna be hilarious, hilarious.
Speaker 4: It's called La Gangster. It's definitely dropping.
Speaker 1: Happy Birthday, Japrico, very.
Speaker 4: Birthday, Yeah, birthday, my god. Yeah, great guy, this's you know, uh, we've got a few.
Speaker 1: So I know you have like flirted with obviously you guys had scheme schemes also all time under.
Speaker 4: Uh still signed to us.
Speaker 5: That guy, when is he going to put music now?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think he just toys with the idea of it. But I think bro he he does and the freestyle Like I feel like, because he's so good, he's waiting for some type of.
Speaker 5: Challenge, like our word don't mean nothing.
Speaker 7: I'll be like, yo, put some music out. But I feel like if a rapper challenge him, like he really get upset and.
Speaker 5: Trying to you know, dog them.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. He's an l A legend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, he's a He's a dog for sure, no doubt.
Speaker 3: You're asking him, we're thinking about yeah always, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You got one in mind?
Speaker 5: We do nice. I can't tell him they followed us, Yeah, they want to.
Speaker 1: Find out it wasn't in the city. Of course. You gotta gotta wrap inside of Mexican. Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: And we signed a Mexican before we signed in a rapper from Atlanta.
Speaker 4: That would be insane.
Speaker 5: That will be a.
Speaker 3: But I would they be rapping Listen, man, you know the way we've gone about things, our whole career has always been against the grain, so you never know what could happen there it is.
Speaker 7: I told the story before when I did I want to mister cartoon real quick and uh and I was down there with Rich Hill and there was a couple uh Mexicans out there rapping.
Speaker 5: I was like, they're good. But at that time, my brain wasn't even thinking about signing nobody.
Speaker 1: There's just like I would do wa. Yeah the good bro A good couple of brothers named Coyote. Oh yeah that that Johnny did Shipes did a distro deal with them.
Speaker 4: Their hardest fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they's tough, ye fire for sure. All Right, Well, fellas, I'm gonna have We're gonna have you do a freestyle. That's cool, okay, but that's gonna be separate piece of content. Go watch that.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you all pulling up doming out out April twenty fifth, Cash Rules Man, any features.
Speaker 1: I'll just let you all see that when it dropped there it is Cash Rules. Appreciate y'all man, Thank you, Bo