Speaker 1: And broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Getty Strong and.
Speaker 4: Welcome to a replay of the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: We Are Armed. Boy? Did we have some good stuff for so?
Speaker 5: Speaking of this behavior, right, the Gaines has been an absolutely courageous spokesperson for women's sports, women's private places, and women's rights in general, and on college campuses where undergrads are majority women.
Speaker 3: The reception she's gotten has been absolutely horrific.
Speaker 6: I have been in several environments, especially on these hotbeds, these college campuses, where I have been spit on, of course, I mean the most profane, o've scene heinous things yelled at me, drinks port on me, glass bottles thrown at me. There was an incident in San Francisco where I was literally held hostage for five hours. Were protesters, the mob, the angry, violent mob on the outside demanded that I had to pay them money if I wanted to make it back home to my family safely, all while university officials, the Dean of students, the vice president of student affairs at the university. They applauded the students for their brave behavior, saying that people like me, with our dissenting viewpoints, we were the ones who were basically asking for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole transgender cult thing. How else to describe of you so adamant and fevered that you would behave like that when a young woman was trying to protect women's sports and women's private areas like locker rooms and bathrooms and stuff. I mean, you are nuts.
Speaker 4: You don't mean a private area like her, Yahoo, good lord, I mean the space she's in.
Speaker 3: You're an idiot, and I will not dignify that. Speaking of people standing up for women's rights, this is such an interesting little episode in the history of that. Tishheimen is the name of the black lady. You may have seen her who was aghast when she was bare naked at the Gold Gym in Los Angeles and turned and there was a full grown man looking at her, and she told aforementioned fella to get the hell out. He said, he said, I'm a woman, I get to be in here, and started screaming at her that she was a bigot and misgendering him. And the rest of it, we played you that well. Tish, to her credit, traveled north to the San Francisco Bay area and attended a town hall meeting being held by none other than the world's eating pervert, Scott Wiener, who hopes to hold Nancy Pelosi's congressional seat soon. And she Tish was asking Scott about protecting women, and it took some really interesting turns. We'll start with seventy mine as.
Speaker 7: A lesbian woman who was attacked in a woman's locker room at Goldshin this week by self identifying trends with the documented history of domestic violence. I'm deeply concerned about women's safety and female only spaces. What would you say to women who are seeking assurance that their safety will be protected from men who, by California law and self idea as women and women only space To sir, please tell.
Speaker 8: Me, yeah, so we want, I mean everyone to be safe. And we also know that you know, we have transitople book men and women to our men and women, and so you know, so you trans women.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a floundering, fumbling, bumbling effort to translate the academia talk Scott Wiener's memorized into like real world language. You just couldn't do it. No.
Speaker 4: Well, often when you're saying stuff you don't actually believe, it's difficult to form your sentences and thought.
Speaker 3: I think he does believe that though. I mean he's in favor of everything from man boy love to yeah please. He says birthing persons. He's just said birthing persons ten years ago. He's an activist in this. Anyway, it keeps going and it keeps getting weirder.
Speaker 7: And we want to know, are you going to protect women? Not translemen women?
Speaker 3: Women? Trans women are lemon lemen.
Speaker 7: Listen, we need to protect.
Speaker 3: I was assault No, they are not. I was assaulted. He broke my saw, so pressed you need.
Speaker 7: I'm a lesbian. I'm not sure I saw me and I'm black. So if there's another black woman you here, I want to tell me how they feel, please join in. But all of you are not and I don't know who you are what you are, But I'm a lesbian and I'm telling you right now men are harassing women in the locker room.
Speaker 3: The question.
Speaker 4: That's where it turns super interesting in terms of the left eating their own because then she gets into the wait a second nobody can criticize me. I'm black, I'm a woman, and I'm gay. Those three things leave me in a situation where you can't possibly disagree with me. And then comes along trans and apparently trans trumps all of those other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, black lesbian ladies. I wish we could help you here, but you're getting back a line place. Yeah. Yeah, and I loved and listen, I'm not on her side of the intersectional totem pole battle thing, but I love the dynamic of white men trans cultists saying trans women are women, trans women are women, trans women are women.
Speaker 4: Right, so you got you have adult white males who all of a sudden end up in the in the right using my finger quotes right position, correct position. Yeah for the woke left over a black female gay person because we've crossed into the trans conversation. Right, Sorry, sorry, it's complicated. You need a float chart.
Speaker 3: Right. And then she of course knows those are the cards to play on the left, so she tries to play that because they're not always worked for her her whole life, I'm sure, right. Then a full grown dude shows up in the locker room. She yells out of panic and shock, when he's looking at her bare ass naked, and then she becomes the bad person who has kicked out a gold's gym, and now she feels, oh, shoot, this whole hierarchy of victims thing.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it gets a little weird. Yeah, I don't, I don't. I'm on her side in this conversation, and I don't know her. Maybe she hasn't been playing this card her whole life, although she pulled it there pretty quickly. But there are plenty of people who do play that card, and it works, whether you know the bus didn't pick you up, or you got a bad grade in school, or they want you to pay your rent on time.
Speaker 3: Or whatever the hell it is.
Speaker 4: It's always worked until you run into some white guys who are on the other side of.
Speaker 3: Trans right, right, I remember, And it works in the other way too, that you can discount, dismiss insult to anyone by pointing out that they happen to be a white person. I had that card first played on me like twenty years ago. I was like, wait, what, but yeah, it's popular anyway. The meeting already Jazzy rolled on.
Speaker 8: You were I appreciate you talking about it, and.
Speaker 3: Obvious that.
Speaker 8: I have also know that women are also rutalizing in this country. So women and women rutalizing the country, and we have them.
Speaker 3: We have the women.
Speaker 7: We cannot be raped in the battles by men that want to say they're women.
Speaker 6: They're not women.
Speaker 3: They're not way.
Speaker 9: I'm leaving.
Speaker 7: It's okay, but I'm not going to leaving because you know what, you guys are not protecting women. You're doing a lot the bills that you're passing.
Speaker 3: For the law, I've read a lot of them.
Speaker 7: They're great, but these things with the trans it's not right.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: You're wrong. So the key phrase there is women and sis women need protection. So sorry, born with ovaries, et cetera. People, you're in second place. Women, real women and cis women need to be protected. In Scott Wainer's world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the only woman term that doesn't have a qualifier attached is to say the exactly, Katie, you're smoldering.
Speaker 3: I'm at a loss for words, you know.
Speaker 11: I know, and as a woman who is pregnant and my body is doing all sorts of things, this is even more infuriating because they.
Speaker 3: Have more I can totally relate, totally relate because I identify as a woman. Yeah, yeah, you are a kids. My effing teeth in for saying that. Right, I'm glad you're too far away.
Speaker 4: And she just needed one more thing, was your uncle of Cherokee? Do you have anything?
Speaker 3: What do you got? Let's think, let's brainstorm here, the both all for your limbs work? Okay, no, let me think, let me think your eyesight? Okay? No, all right? She had one more shot as she walked out the door. You heard, all right.
Speaker 7: Don't let them use our blackness and our civil rights as a reason of past me and dolls the children to transformed. It's wrong.
Speaker 3: My sister is in jail. She can't get free temples, or she.
Speaker 7: Could get free transformation of medication, big format.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Scott, well that was a pretty good one. Would she say her sister's in prison.
Speaker 4: Whoever's in prison, can't get tampons, but you could get free transition surgery or medics science medication exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well made a pretty good point that don't let our blackness, don't let them use our blackness to pass weird laws. Because the far far radical left in the neo Marxists, they use the verbiage and the irrationale of the civil rights movement to make it seem like a dude who says now, I'm a girl is the same as you know, emmtt Till or some somebody who just wanted to vote in the South or attend to public university. It's it's obscene we left out at this Scott Wiener person because you don't know him all around the country like we do in the Bay. He's a Bay Area legend in government and doing all kinds of crazy stuff in the city and then getting into state governmental sort of stuff. He wants to take Nancy Pelosi's seat. He's gonna run for Nancy Pelosi's seat. He could be the face of progressivism in the House of Representatives.
Speaker 4: I almost hope he wins. It's going to be so crazy, but I know I don't actually want his point of view to be spread.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he's pro everything that's perverse, including you know, man boy love and that sort of thing, even if he kind of hints at it. But uh, yeah, I don't. I'm trying to decide right now if it'd be better or worse to have him in Congress. I would like the I don't know people are so easily talked off of their beliefs in ways that shocked me, like during COVID.
Speaker 4: And you gotta be careful with this whole, you know, Mom. Dami wins, that'll be good for us. Scott Wheeder wins, it'll be good for us. Pretty soon, there's gonna be a lot of people in positions of power with horrifying ideas.
Speaker 3: And a lot of the sheeple and or young people who are easily sold on a lot of this garbage. I just feel bad that lady lost the intersectional contest. She walked in there feeling great.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna say something to a gay black woman?
Speaker 3: I am bulletproof. Sorry, I'm trans. Oh no, the superpower my kryptonite. Damn it. Armstrong and Jack.
Speaker 9: And Jar here to tell you your name will be just fine.
Speaker 4: Just down.
Speaker 3: Cost you that Armstrong and Getty on the Man. That's the podcast. Subscribe right now.
Speaker 2: Armstrong, The Armstrong and Getdy Show.
Speaker 3: So we prob to break.
Speaker 4: Joe will mention this country song that's on the top of some chart and it's AI and so we both took a listen to it. We can't play it because it'd be a violation of something. But so before I tell you what I thought of this AI song that's at the top of the charts. Is it all Ai? Is that what you're saying? It's entirely AI song?
Speaker 3: I believe so. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the dude on the cover is a made up picture. The voice is Ai, the instruments, the writing, all of it is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if the there's probably somebody who wrote the lyrics just but maybe not. I don't know. Having listened to it. That is highly troubling. Yeah, it second me, that is way too good.
Speaker 4: That is why why would anybody try at this point, Well, why would anybody try to become famous and make money at it? If you want to make music, I do it every day. I at home. I played the piano in my bedroom, in my underwear. I do that all the time. But it left that last part out. Hey, I isn't going to replace that. But any I'm going to make it onto the charts. I don't know if there's any point in that anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm already very very cynical about pop music. And it occurred to me that a lot of us of a certain age we had the unbelievable experience that we took for granted that pop music, which was entirely a commodity. I mean, anybody who was actually a creative artist was exploited and thrown away by the money guys. It was just again a corporate commodity. And then there was a brief and wonderful period of I don't know, ten to twenty five years where the art was dominated by actual creative artists, at least to a significant extent. It still was corporate, but there was a hell of a lot of creativity. Now and I'm not saying there's no creativity left, but pop music is so corporate, there's so much money to be made, the formulaic they might as well be AI. Song factories are so efficient, the underwear models lip syncing to the music are so good looking. In the rest of it, it's easy to be very, very cynical about it. Having said that, the lyrics of this song in particular are a person who has had some very painful times in their life pouring out their soul. And the fact that that is cranked out by a computer because they know you like that sort of thing makes me want to vomit. That's a good point, the fact that.
Speaker 4: A chat bot picks up Oh okay, people have angst and pain and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Oh right about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when it comes from somebody who's had that same feeling and we have that, we have that in common as a human being.
Speaker 3: Oh you felt that. I'm feeling that right now. Thanks for writing about it. When it turns out it's a computer completely you know. Yeah. One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. The writer and singer happens to be a gal. He's talking about, you know, being you know, self destructive in love and drinking way too much. And the line is maybe I'll find my maker on the bedroom floor, which is a hell of a line. Maybe I'll meet my maker. I think it is anyway to hear that. Somebody just cranked that out because the computer algorithm said that would that would be compelling. I don't know, justugh. My skin is crawling, my guts are churning. Maybe I ate something bad for dinner last night. But yeah, that's that's awful. It's not good, it's not funny, it's not amusing.
Speaker 4: So Google hired some AI guru to come over. They spent two point seven billion dollars to buy character dot Ai, and then this guy had a whole bunch of posts about how he doesn't believe the whole trans thing is real, and so Google tried to shut him down, having just spent three billion dollars on his company, and that became and so they got a they got a a woke problem within the googly eye stuff. So that would be something China is not worried about. That, I guarantee of China's attempt to be the dominant AI force on Earth is not worried about the politics of the individual employees.
Speaker 3: Right The Armstrong and Getty Show, Armstrong and Jack and jar here to tell you Jody will be just fine.
Speaker 7: Just download you that Armstrong and Getty on the Man.
Speaker 3: That's the podcast. Subscribe right now.
Speaker 12: Arm Strong, he Getty, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: On the floor we are occupying here at the radio station, the stall where people do their you know, your main business. There's been no soap in there for like a month. Oh it's longer than that to wash your hands, and that ain't cool. So Hanson and I were just discussing it. Maybe we should bring bars of soap and set him on the counter kind of a hint, like we've started to bring our own bar from home. For some reason, he suggested lava. Do you remember lava soap? It was gray and it had the grit in it to like, oh yeah, do they still make that? I think bars a lava soap would be perfect.
Speaker 3: One of my friend's dad was an actual auto mechanic, and he did a lot of work in his own garage. I think that's where I ran it. A lava soap. It was good for that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it was so good for like a ten year old to scrub their body in the shower.
Speaker 3: Well, we're a lot of bleeding from the hands, fulliating, exfoliating exactly, So a lot of great stuff to squeeze in this hour. But first, from the the information mind of Joe Getty that brought you. I do occasionally refer to myself in the third person, that brought you a look in the China cabinet. And what was one of the other ones, Michael, I can't remember if there was another one. Now there have been other ones. Well, it's time for the euro Bureau. Yeah, we're still working on the introduction for the euro Bureau and that was low rent. How are you kidding? That was free sign on the side of the road. I was limited on supplies. Okay, yes, send time. So a couple of really interesting stories from Europe, and I tell you what, and a lot of you agree with this. I feel like watching my beloved Republic in our various challenges and increasing socialism and debt and the rest of it. It's a slow motion car crash. I mean, the the end of this is so incredibly predictable. We become France. It's the Francification of the United States. Oh oh damn it that reminds me. I'm so pleased with this. I can't stand it. The new T shirt at the Armstrong and Getty superstore is simply on a lovely dark blue background, although you could probably get it in all sorts of colors. Ruin the Entire Country Newsome, twenty twenty eight. I like it looks great. Cal Unicornians and those who sympathize with cal Unicoreans Carolcordians ruin the entire Country, Newsome, twenty twenty eight. Anyway, so we all heard about the breaking at the Louver right We're going to start in France and the euro Bureau. We all heard about that, right in the Crown Jewels and all sorts of stuff. Much less reported here on the other side of the Atlantic is the fact that that was one of nine major robberies of museums over the past year in France. Didn't know that nine six French museums have been hit since the beginning of September alone, one of them twice. And they name a bunch of museums I've never heard of, but are important, I guess, including the stately Museum of Natural History. Few of the stolen works, including precious porcelain and gold crosses and statues, have been recovered. As the robberies pile up, French officials are waking up to an unsettling reality. France is a wash in cultural treasures, but has minimal resources to protect them from thieves.
Speaker 4: Well, I was going to say, after the fourth or fifth museums hit, I would have thought somebody said, hey, is the Loop protected?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's like our most famous museum. Successive governments have collapsed over efforts to rein in the country's budget deficit, leaving the state too cash strap to invest in meaningful security upgrades for the more than twelve hundred sites classified by the government as museums. And Macrone's administration is scrambling to take a census of the country's most valuable artwork to nowhere to put their few pennies. But you've got a rising criminal class and absolutely no budget, no will to protect the country. It's just sad. Then you have this from the Wall Street Journal. Britain is preparing tens of billions of dollars twelve pounds but in new taxes. Again, the Labor government is ready to is readying its second major tax increase in two years, as it tries to avoid spooking markets, specifically bond markets, because it's taking on so much debt and it's killing the economy. And this is a good description. The UK has long been torn between two mutually exclusive desires. Voters want European levels of welfare with American levels of taxation. Of course, we're over spending our taxation too, but by accident design, the debate is slowly being resolved in the direction of higher taxes. As Britain's Labor government, which can't leave office soon enough, here's its second major tax increase in is many years. The UK is confronting an issue, facing growing numbers of rich nations, how to pay for rising government spending without taking on evermore debt and spooking financial markets. So they've got this giant tax increase coming to narrow the budget deficit, which is at about six percent of their GDP. Biggest rounds the tax increases since the mid seventies. The increases will likely further constrain Britain's anemic economic growth.
Speaker 4: A lot of that had to do with their net zero policies around climate change, which were.
Speaker 3: Crazy, absolutely true. Yeah, those two things are just crushing the economy. So the latest increase will raise the UK's tax rate to about thirty eight percent of annual economic output, highest level ever, compares with about thirty percent in the nineties and low thirties and twenty tens. That puts the UK comfortably ahead of the US, which is in the mid twenties although spending ourselves into oblivion, but still short of Germany and France. The pitfalls of such an approach are evident in Germany, which taxes wages more than any other rich country except Belgium, taking almost fifty percent of employees gross wages on average. While that approach has helped Germany balance budgets in the past, is that it is eaten into Germans purchasing power, depressing consumption, and Germany that at the end of the Cold War spending on defense and poured the difference into the welfare state, now needs desperately to spend more on the military and shore up crumbling infrastructure, from potholed roads to a decrepit rail system. But taxes are already very high and the growth is too weak to fund new taxes. Slow motion car wreck. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I took in a podcast about Britain's financial situation several weeks ago and it was striking the whole time is listening to it.
Speaker 3: I kept thinking, why isn't this a bigger story?
Speaker 4: Why don't more people know this in the United States, that Britain has just ruined their economy and then there's no easy way out and they are like our future. We can look at them and we're gonna be able to see what it's going to be like for us. I know, the world's most predictable disaster. It's so frustrating, and he didn't tune in to be frustrated but I mean, it's just somebody comes up here on the street and says, I really like fentanyl. I'm taking more fentanyl every day, and you're thinking, well, you're going O D and die. In fact, one hundred percent of people who you said that to and think you're going to O D and die, But they just keep doing it. I feel like that's the situation we're in now because the average voter has no grasp. And this is true in France, it's true in Britain, it's true in the US. Has no grasp of the concept of fiscal restraint. They you know, it's too easy to sell them on. You deserve handouts. I just did you know. I don't know how.
Speaker 3: Legitimate this quote is. I've seen it a million times old. The Scottish guy that when a people realizes it can vote itself money themselves, money from the treasury, a republic is doomed. I'm not sure there's any turning it around short of a cataclysm. But you don't bounce back from every cataclysm. It was like, you're only half serious. God send me a warning, so I get really serious about getting healthy, like a minor heart.
Speaker 4: Attack, right, I ask God to give me a minor heart attack, so I would start eating better. Well, your genius, Jack, your unappreciated genius, is that's a perfect metaphor for the United States. The only thing that will stop us wolfing down bacon, drinking a cord of bourbon a night, and smoking four packs a day is a fiscal heart attack, the problem being you don't always survive them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the pandemic was quite the cataclysm, and it didn't make things better anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Oh, you know that's funny. And when we were talking a couple of segments ago, whenever it was about young people and young men and their anger and anti Semitism and that whole stew the writer that I was quoting mentioned how bitterly painful the COVID shutdowns were for young men in so many ways, and it drove them away from girlfriends and real friends and jobs and striving and pride in being a man. Blah blah blah. The COVID shutdowns, which were specifically opposite of what all the health organizations around the world had said they would do when there was a pandemic. They abandoned all their plans and panicked and shut them down and kept the kids out of schools, the rest of it. I don't think we've reckoned with a third of the damage that did. No. Definitely incredible evil that perpetrated. I'll be saying that until I'm lowered into my grave. Straight from our europe and News desk. Okay, this is that was Joe Getty's your bureau. It was so horrible, it was great. Oh Man, Armstrong, he.
Speaker 2: Getty, the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 10: Anaheim Police detective Heather Skaglioni says the thieves used a tablet meant for locksmith's that can connect to technology and newer vehicles. He's being handed a like a locksmith tool, a computer device that plugs into the computer system in the car so you can quickly reprogram it and turn the car on so you can leave with that truck. Thieves are also using antennas to pick up signals from keyfobs inside homes.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, yeah, go back to metal keys that just stick in the ignition and twist.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: In the In the video attached to that news article, it actually showed a ring camera at the front door and the thieves were holding an antenna and they had some kind of device tucked in their pocket that this thing was connected to, and when they held it up, they just touched the house. And then the car that was parked in the driveway started because somebody had already was able to get into it and start the car just by using the key fob signal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember two cars ago, I think it was. Was that your trains amuh yeah, yeah with the t tops. Yeah, my fob keyfob kept the battery kept dying. I said, where do you keep it relative to your garage? And it was too close to the garage. They said, he either got to shield it or move it because the car and the keyfob keep talking to each other.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that. That's why my battery runs down so fast.
Speaker 3: I my key fob.
Speaker 4: I feel like every place it every two weeks, and nobody's ever told me that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, anyway, so yeah, obviously they are putting out signals, and you know, well putting out signals all the time. So yeah, you can sniff them and use them to break into a car. What the heck? Death penalty for car thieves?
Speaker 12: There?
Speaker 3: You go, hang them. They're the modern horse thieves. Hang them. That's right right outside general motors, you know, forder whatever it may be. It's your local dealer. I don't know. Come on down, bring the kids, we'll spin the wheel of prizes, hang a car thief. They're actually making these free hot dogs.
Speaker 11: They're making these key chains now too, that you can get on like Amazon or whatever, that you just put on there and then you can tuck your keyfob in that middle block that signal I saw.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, yeah, excellent, there you go. Simple solution. Thank you, Katie life hack. Yeah. So we're talking about conspiracy theories and how they work and what's at the root of them. And I remembered a piece I brought to you a while ago, about a month ago, about gnosticism. How a lot of the people pushing this stuff are like the first century Gnostics, a Christian heresy that holds that the material world is evil, that a special KnowledgeR knows this with a g lifts us out of its corruptions into redemption. Salvation under its theory, requires neither faith nor action, only the recognition that you're being lied to and that your soul belongs elsewhere. Gnosticism, like orthodox religions, asks why evil exists, but instead of traditional answers rooted in personal responsibility. It posits that malevolent forces control the world. Knowledge of these forces becomes the work itself. Discover them and you are redeemed, which is interesting. But then this from Claire Layman, a piece called the New Medievals, and he goes into a variety of people, including Candace Owens, who has been implicating everyone in the murder, from the Israeli government to Turning Point USA itself to Erica Kirk and last week her speculation reached tapagee when she suggested that Donald Trump himself was involved, which is, well, what the hell go for a touchdown if you're throwing the ball. But then she writes to Claire Wright's owns, while theorizing is an anomaly, it's part of something older and darker. There's a distinctly medieval quality to much of the conspiratorial right, a world animated by unseen cabal's moral corruption and divine punishment disguised as politics. Then she talks about how in journalism, if it bleeds, it leads in any story that features a villain or a group of villains doing something dastardly to innocent victims is much more likely to be read and shared than an article that say debunks such narratives with statistics. She explains, our mammalian brains are wired to perceive and anthropomorphized threats. When our ancestors saw thunderbolts crashing down from the sky, they didn't think it was caused by electricity in the air and complex weather systems, but by the wrath of vengeful God. That's what I believe it looks like humans. Yeah, Jack still believes that we have to talk him down after every weather forecast. But so media entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs, whether it's a candas owns or a big publisher or executive, knows that readers want to be frightened by stories of plotters, vandals, criminals, and killers in literature and film disproportionate attention compared with the works of other sorts. For example, thrillers make up over twelve percent of adult fiction sales in the US, True Pride crime podcast account for nearly a quarter of the top rank. Show US very very hot yet conspiracy theories, Those tales of shadowy cabals wreaking havoc in the world seem to be the most seductive at all. I'm sorry the most seductive of all. They combine the adrenaline of a thriller with the morality of a fable. These moral horror stories, as literary professor Jonathan Goshall argues in a twenty twenty one book called The Story Paradox, succeeded not because they persuade people rationally, but because they gratify audiences on an emotional level. He wrote, quote, conspiracy stories promise heroes and villains, secret clues, and moral urgency, and each one invites the listener to join a righteous crusade. That's a really good example. Heroes and villains, secret clues, and moral urgency, and you get to join a righteous crusade. I get this, and clearly it's true.
Speaker 4: I just it's interesting to me that some people like me just aren't susceptible to it. If it doesn't make sense, like, well, I don't get that, and then there's no proof that it's that this is true. And then I just let it go, you know, one more note before the break, and then I want to come back with more of this because it's super thought provoking. But he mentions she mentions a couple of scientific experiments psychological experiments through the years where people who feel powerless, confused, overwhelmed, powerless begin to see patterns that are not there because they really want to bring order to the disorder that they perceive.
Speaker 3: Quote. Participants who lack control were more likely to perceive a variety of illusory patterns, including seeing images and noise, forming illusory correlations in stock market information, perceiving conspiracies, and developing superstitions, the authors wrote. Another twenty twenty study found that the lack of a sense of lack of agency also predicted belief in Jewish conspiracies.
Speaker 4: Specifically, well, maybe that's why conspiracies don't work on me. Then I don't generally feel powerless or lacking agency, so they don't grab me in the same way.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getting.
Speaker 9: Christmas shopping Sometimes.
Speaker 3: It's so tough.
Speaker 9: It can feel like you're just buying a bunch of random stuff. Get focus and spend your money right. Got the perfect gift O special person in your Armstrong and Geddy superstar shop Now.
Speaker 3: I'm Strong and Getty dot com.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Getty