Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Here I didn't get started up putting.
Speaker 1: Good morning, sweet world, and welcome to the No Dunks Podcast on the Athletic Network. Today's episode brought to you by Neutral Vodka Seltzer made with real vodka, Real Seltzer, real juice. It's Neutral to one with you Loud. It's Friday, March twenty fourth, twenty twenty three. This is the drop. I'm g E. Sky's here in the Classic Factory and alongside me as always, that's Test.
Speaker 3: Milists podcast listeners. It's for you.
Speaker 1: Next to him, it's the Beard one a tap Shaw, hot Boy, Trey Kirby.
Speaker 4: Hey he.
Speaker 1: And last but not least, over Yonder making the magic happen, super producer jd Hello, there he is here. Our shout out to the stream team joining us live right now on YouTube. Like David, please subscribe, grab your No Dunk's merchover at No dunks dot com, hoodies, t shirts, mugs, et cetera. And if you've ever wanted a subscription to The Athletic, now is the time to get one one dollar a month for twelve months. Yeah by subscribing today. Go to the Athletic dot com slash No Dunks and you can get access to thousands of stories and add free podcasts as well dollar a month up to twelve months there and also check out yesterday's No Buffs podcast, our recap of episode four of Survivor forty four with very special guest Owen Knight here in the factory. We even had him sign our Jeff Probes cardboard cutout and we just had a blast. He was incredible, you know, sharing stories from his time on the island in Survivor forty three and his thoughts on episode four. So go check that out No Buffs to on YouTube feed don't podcast feed. This weekend, in this very feed, we are re releasing the next installment of our twenty twenty one summer podcast series, Fast Friends, where we tackle every single movie from the Fast and Furious franchise. So up tomorrow on Saturday. Two thousand and six's Tokyo Drift a polarizing flick in the universe. I also forgot with this one. You won't notice at all when it comes to the actual podcast listening to it on Apple or Spotify, but this was the YouTube version where we forgot to record it. So the first like fifteen minutes is this incredible graphic that one of you guys made of dom saying somebody forgot to press for ReCore. It looks amazing and then we kick on like fifteen minutes in so very cool. Yeah, Tokyo Drift that drops Tomorrowmorrow. Our third installment here of our Fast Friends series One More Thing. Even tease the graphic for a second live show in Houston Monday, April third at the White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are free, just use the link in our show notes. It's right around the corner, guys, so get your tickets, come hang with us on Monday, April third. And exciting news about this show. The athletics Houston Rockets beat writer Kelly Eco. He's going to join us on stage for a little basketball talk and for you NC double a sickos, White Oak and Neutral has promised to show the championship game on quote their ginormous big screen. He following the live podcast, so they called it ginormous. They tweeted at me tasks and said it was ginormous. White Oak did the Music Hall, so yeah, that's gonna be.
Speaker 5: It's not a projector apparently it's like an led screen. This place is nice. I hear it's nice.
Speaker 1: This place a little too nice for us.
Speaker 5: It might be a little too nice for we usually.
Speaker 1: Play in like dive bars.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I know, well it's the Neutral.
Speaker 1: It's a look. We're pumped. Neutral sponsoring this live show Monday, April third, So get your tickets. If you are in town for the Final four in Houston, or you live in the area, come see us. Kelly Echo again. Like I said, that's gonna be a blast.
Speaker 3: Okay, Kelly Echo and Trey Herby, you're gonna have a fit off.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh good call.
Speaker 4: You think I gotta bring it.
Speaker 6: He's gonna be a home court advantage unfortunately. Yeah, travel with several options clothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he brings it. He brings it. I know you'll bring it, so no problem.
Speaker 1: My best, all right. I can't wait for that. On today's Drop podcast, we are gonna discuss Jalen Brown's future with the Boston Celtics in a brand new segment. We came up mere hours ago with call Read and React, Read and Reacts. I guess sounds cooler, but it's just read and react. Let's just read something and talk about it. Task has Worst of the Week nominees. We got rapid fire, fun but let's touch on last night's games quickly. I'm gonna lump two of them together. Here. We had a Coros three pointer to send the Cavs pass the Nets once team one fourteen, and then Pello Bancaro and the Magic turn back the Knicks one to eleven, one oh six. This is important, of course, Calves win, Nets lose, Nicks lose because of where these teams are jockeying for playoff position tasks. But I don't know if you have thoughts specifically on either of those games.
Speaker 3: Who needs March madness. We had a great ending in Brooklyn there. It was a wild race on didn't seem like the Cavs were going to pull this thing out. I'm not sure how it happened. They're down eight with two minutes left, and they're still down two twenty four seconds left to pull up the press. Somehow they got a turnover on that press. Donovan Mitchell driving to the hoop to try and tie the game fouled by Spencer Dinwiddie intentionally and they were out of foul, so he goes to the line. Donovan Mitchell wanted a continuation. The ref said no, can we review that thankfully.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: So he goes to the line, hits one, misses the second, the best, the best misser in the world. I thought for a second after he went after that second one that maybe he missed because he's so good at missing, but he maybe mispurpose. But he missed on accident. He went after it, missed twice in trying to finish it off there and it came out to Karroslovert. And this is where the play started. What a play by carrislverta seven seconds left, just calmly, calmly found Isaaca Carro in the corner. Usually you'd think Carrosilvert's going to fire that thing. That's his reputation, He's going to shoot that ball with seven seconds left, but he took his time. This is the best version of Karislvert we've ever seen. He's grown a lot as a player, even though his points per game are way down then his earlier in his career in Brooklyn. Find a Caro who buried that shot from three, and he's got the confidence. He's got three straight months of shooting forty percent over three. He does not shoot a lot right, not by any means, but he'll hit won a game he'll hit one and a half a game in this one his first game winner and he knew it. He said after the game, Oh yeah, that's my first one. And he felt good shooting that ball, and he felt good having the confidence of his teammates. But bad loss for the Nets, dropping them into the play in tournament picture, because they should have won this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're now half a game behind the Miami Heat for that conference's final guaranteed playoff spot. They're in seventh, and the Knicks, after losing three in a row, they're only one and a half up. Awesome night for the Heat, Yes, very good night. Fit. Nothing New York has seven games left, Miami has eight. The winner that race is gonna get Cleveland in the first round. Loser will get Boston or Philly fairly likely. So yeah, any thoughts on the on that Madness game In the NBA, there were some great games and obviously the Sweet sixteen last night too, but this was pretty.
Speaker 4: Wild ending task nailed it.
Speaker 6: That was March Madness because in eight pointly with two minutes, you should probably win that game unless you turn the ball over three times in the last couple of minutes, which you see all the time in a March Madness game, maybe not always in an NBA game, but that's what happened for the Nets. It allowed Cleveland to start playing downhill, get some easy baskets and semi transition, and then task is totally right. Good poised by Carris Lavert to not panic and just chuck up a three, cause you never know how much time is actually gonna be left on the clock. After two offensive rebounds, after Mitchell's miss, you could just be scrambling thing. I got one second left to chuck it up. Nah, he found a corro there in the corner. Biggest shot of his career. I heard on the Daily Ding this morning. They were saying maybe the best pass of Karris Lavert's career. Great stuff regardless, And man, Donovan Mitchell, this guy is just a clutch lane violator.
Speaker 1: I know to get ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they ain't watching the shooter. They were watching for fouls underneath, so get in early. It worked out for him. Man, He was focused though, trying to shoot that free throw, calming hisself down, and he missed three shots.
Speaker 1: You weren't the only one like confused, if you want to call it that, whether or not he actually meant to miss it on purpose. I think House of Highlights had the YouTube short and they labeled it as like intentionally miss his free throw to set up game winner. It's like, no, he didn't. I'm pretty sure he wanted to hit the second and tie the game up, but it came up short and he timed it perfectly again helped out by the lane violation. Missed sort of the easy bunny at first, somehow goes back to him again, and then he sort of botched the second one within the traffic and then nets player there was like two or three of them around the ball and it just like squirt it out to LeVert, who made a million great plays down the stretch. Like you said, they were down eight, he got it going right. He scored in transition to cut it to six. Well, actually he was fouled, went to the line, hit both free throws. Then he got one of those steals off of bridges that went the other way where he set up another basket, and then he had that one where yeah, great trap from Mitchell and Garland on DINWITTI I believe it was in the back court, kicked ahead to Dorian Phinney Smith, but he's sort of like falling out of bounds on the sideline and he sort of trucks it behind him. And that was LeVert and he's just got a nose for knows for the ball in these situations and he was a big reason why they won this game. But rough loss from the nets here, especially as they fall into the plane.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they've really been struggling basically. I mean their season turned when Kevin Durant went down and they're I think twelve and twenty two or something along those lines. Since then, obviously the team has completely changed over. But they had this win. I will say I loved all the sea foam green accessories. Yeah, but they were wearing last night. Apparently it was for Women's Impact Night, a nod to the New York Liberty, who also play in the Barclay Center. It looks sweet black and white all the time.
Speaker 4: It looked really really cool.
Speaker 5: It's not pop of color there.
Speaker 1: And anything from the next game there. Losing there to the Magic and like I said, took you through the sort of standings. It's a tough loss. They're still in the driver's seat, but not good here to the Rotlanto Magic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Knicks seems like they peaked at the wrong time, getting their winning streak a couple of weeks ago, ending at nine, and then Jalen Brunson went out and he wasn't in this game, so you could easily just attribute it to that. You could just say Julius Randall sort of sped up and Manual quickly sort of sped up. You put in that rock in Jalen Brunson. That slows things down, and maybe all is right in the world. But at the same time, they haven't been shooting well for a long time. They haven't shot well the last nine games. They're shooting about thirty three percent from three, and I wonder if the Jalen Brunson injury is serious or not. They have seven games to really find their flow with Jalen Brunson. A news Day is Steve Popper said he had a hard plastic brace on his right wrist, which is sprained. Does that mean it's bad, I don't know, But hard, I guess, is worse than soft, so so I would think that it's It's slightly worrisome that they had that role a few weeks ago when they won nine in a row, and they haven't found that groove whatsoever. Who played well last night for them, Quentin Grimes. But that's right. Other than that, Julius Randall extremely peeved again, Ban Carrol getting under his skin, Magic getting under his skin, and they were poised down the stretch, the Magic super poised down the stretch and you had Wendell Carter being the calm one, you had Gary Harris being the calm one in the fourth quarter. Well, the Knicks didn't have that, So let's it is worry time. I think for the nixt seven games is not a lot. And yeah, they need Brunson back, yes, clearly.
Speaker 1: Any thoughts on the Knicks in the Magic.
Speaker 6: Game, I totally agree about Brunson and Randall because I just feel like when Randall plays in these games without Brunson, and he is the unquestioned number one guy, the pressure like overloads him sometimes. I think like he was on tilt after he got a technical thing in the first half, right, and then he was just completely completely fired up, and you know, they screaming on his own teammates exactly. And I feel like when Brunson plays, the vibes are just a little more chill and a little more steady for the entire team. But I also thought that this was kind of the schedule catching up to the Knicks. They likely overlooked the Magic to begin with. It was also the third game in four nights, and you could tell it in the fourth quarter the Magic looked a lot fresher. They hit seven threes in the fourth quarter, which is tough stuff. And like tas said, when Dell Carter Junior completely outplayed Mitchell Robinson last night, it was all effort and just being in the right place. Nicks looked a step slow, so they're probably hoping the playoffs start soon.
Speaker 1: And they did this thing where they got down a ton the Knicks did, got it all back in the third quarter, and then still a quarter to play. Magic took care of business down the stretch. And markol Foltz I like to see him getting a lot of love recently. It feels like from some of the Sicko bloggers out there. He didn't have an amazing game shooting the ball in this one, but he is playing really well for Orlando, and he had an incredible sort of dropping it over his shoulder dime in traffic right at the net. I don't know if you guys saw that it was a Beauty assist and he's just playing really well. So it's nice to see him like finding his footing here in the league. Going over to the Western Conference, wins just quickly here, brandon ingram first career triple double for Bi lifted the Pelicans past to Hornets, and Kawhi scored thirty two as the Clippers beat the Thunder without Paul George. It was close for about three quarters as well, and then the Clippers just hammered them in the fourth. Any thoughts on either of those two games, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Trey said yesterday, it's tough to beat a team twice in a row, especially a good team. So a Thunder took him on Tuesday night. And then Kawhi was angry at the way that game ended, that long possession. So we had Robot Kawhi. That was a sequel, Kawhi. I was RoboCop too. I was eye Robot to look like Megan.
Speaker 1: Out maybe Terminator.
Speaker 3: I'll go with Meghan. I mean we went to two old ones. Let's stick somewhat modern. Megan technically a robot.
Speaker 4: No, no, just Meghan, Well, they give it time.
Speaker 3: Meghan is Chucky too, Let's be honest. Chucky eight. Yes, there was a lot of checks, but he was thirteen to fifteen. He was a robot out there. He just rolled over them. And that's why I think every series that the Clippers are going to play in the postseason, it's gonna be a seven game series. However many they play, I don't think. I don't think they're going to be good enough to rop teams, but they ain't losing either. You see teams guys like Batoom yesterday with four threes. Those type of guys maybe not great night in and night out, but great every second night. So I think we're gonna have some long ones with with the Clippers.
Speaker 1: Two weeks remain in the regular season. Basically just over two weeks, six teams in the Western Conference are tied with thirty seven losses. Six teams with the the exact same amount of losses at this point, with less than ten games to go for a lot of these squads, or all these squads at this point, j D, I think you got the playoff picture. We can show everyone here on YouTube, at least Pelicans now in there in the tenth seed. You see the movement there in the Eastern Conference. Anything jump out at you, TK.
Speaker 6: I mean That was a huge win for New Orleans, taking on a team like the Hornets that they need to beat. Go it because they're heading out on a four game road trip starting tomorrow and it's basically against good teams. They got the Blazers thrown in there. That's kind of their only gimme for the rest of the season. So I thought, pretty good stuff for Brandon Ingram to actually put the team on his back. Yeah, coming out really strong in the first half. And then I thought Yonis valen Jun has had a massive impact in the fourth quarter. They're just posting them up every single time. It looked like nineteen ninety eight all over again. But the ball was moving, it was going into the post, it was coming back out, it was finding guys for shots. And then like the tast take, Kwie was so good last night, seven for seven in the first half. But I was almost more impressed with his player. He was passing the ball so well, very contagious. I thought they finished with thirty four assists.
Speaker 4: They look great.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to our brand new segment here on the No Dunks Drop podcast. It's called Read and Reacts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, read it reacts.
Speaker 1: Shared some articles we read them, we react to them. It's as simple as that, but you had to have read it on a kindle like that. Guy.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I gotta go home quick. I'll be back in thirty eight minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay. First one, it's from ESPN's Dave Mcmanhamon and woj Lebron James could play final week of the regular season. Now, they wrote, Lebron is progressing toward a comeback from his right foot injury, and there is increasing optimism that the Lakers star could return to play a few games in the final week of the regular season. Now here's the interesting part. Lebron tweeted soon after this article he read and reacted. This is what Lebron said, quote, there wasn't an evaluation today and there hasn't been any target date for my return. I'm just working around the clock every day, three times a day, to give myself the best chance of coming back full strength whenever that is God bless y'all sources. Face palm emoji. I speak for myself. That was Lebron countering two of the most plugged in guys when it comes specially to the Lakers, mcmannimon and whoach so react.
Speaker 3: We said he's working out three times a day. All I know is when we're leading up to the play in tournament or the playoffs wherever they may land, start releasing some footage from those workouts. That's what I think. Start intimidating your opponent. This guy, the best of this era, working out hard three times a day, shirt off, I'm sure, yelling, screaming tight bands on the arms and making them look uh super jacked. Let's do it. You just want to see some footage advantage Lebron. I mean that part of the game is intimidation. That's all I'm thinking. When he's saying he's working out three times a day, I believe him puts a lot of money into his bod, and especially this time of year, I think he is this is his I don't know if it's his, you know, plast run as a number one guy, whatever it is, it's he's taking it seriously. Why did he tweet this though?
Speaker 1: Like this was this is strange, this part of it, All these guys saying looks like he's probably gonna come back in the final week of the regular season, and he's like, I speak for myself, Well, tell me when I'm coming back, there's no evaluation.
Speaker 4: Sources practicing so hard that I might be back. I will be back eventually. Oh yeah, very weird.
Speaker 6: I guess we were just kind of expecting a Lebron update at about this time we got a Lebron update. But he says that's not completely the right update. But then you look at their schedule and you see that they've got the Clippers, Sons, and Jazz their last three games. Yea, all of them are in LA because the last two are home games, the other ones in away game in Crypto dot Com Arena.
Speaker 4: So I look at that.
Speaker 6: And think, yeah, Lebron could play in the final week of the regular season. Those games are going to be super important. They'll have a chance perhaps at being to the number six seed, depending on how things shake out in this next week here. So I think, if it matters, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lebron out there, because ain't nobody want to go into the play in tournament, especially Lebron.
Speaker 4: He's trying to get that guy fired that.
Speaker 1: Came up with them.
Speaker 6: He's like, no way, but actually, you know what, it's okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Be in it, but it'll be all right, could you give me a chance? So the Lakers have stayed afloat here without Lebron. I mean, they've gone seven to five since he was sidelined. They've won their last two. That trade, that three team deal with the deadline with Minnesota and Utah, it saved their season. I think that's fair to say because they turned it around. They turned Westbrook Jta Damian Jones, the twenty seven first round pick, and then a twenty four second round pick into D'Angel Russell, who's played pretty solid for them after coming back from injury, Jared Vanderbilt, guy that plays defense, gives them some energy. And then Malie Beasley, a three point shooter. You pair that with eighty at center, Austin Reeves playing incredibly as a point guard, playmaking, putting pressure on the rim. And then those other guys, like I said, D'Angel Russell's shock creation, some defense from Vanderbilt, some three point shooting from Beasley, shooter off the bench. You add Lebron to this team, can you convince yourself? Damn? Why couldn't they make a run or is it just so far back? Such a struggle even maybe getting into the play in or out of the play and into the playoffs, like it's just like too far, It's just too much to ask. Even if Lebron is back putting up thirty and tents.
Speaker 4: What do you think nobody's gonna want to play the Lakers?
Speaker 6: That will be the go to line when we're talking about Lakers playoff previews. I think they can win with a healthy Lebron playing to his capabilities, they can win any series in the Western Conference, but it'll be hard to win three straight series in the Western Conference, even though their team clearly makes a lot more sense. We just haven't really seen him playing altogether the games. Did Lebron even get to play with all of these new guys two or three something like that.
Speaker 4: We saw a huge.
Speaker 6: Malik Beasley game once upon a time, We saw Jared Vanderbilt's defense once upon a time, But we haven't seen what their actual playoff rotation is gonna look like, which is why Lebron will likely come back to get a little bit of a run with these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point about them not having played together, because the first thing people will say if they make the play in tournament is these guys have experience. You don't want to play them, but they do have to have chemistry going into the playoffs somewhere.
Speaker 1: But there's so many other teams like that too in the Western Conference, with the Suns and Durant, even the Mavericks to some extent, they don't played a ton of games Kyrie and Luga together. Yeah, Like it's wild how many teams are like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the strongest teams in the Nuggets, the Grizzlies some degree there they've played together. And you know with the Suns that sure, that's a decent example. They're not gonna have played that many games. They're not as old as as as the Lakers, I think. I think the other point is theym played a lot together. And the second thing is it's hard to win all these series over and over and over again. Can they go on a run? Yeah, how long is this run? Is it a quick sprint? We're running one hundred meters? They can win one series if that's one hundred meters, but we're we're running a fifteen hundred meter. You got to take all those other teams I mentioned there, you're taking the Nuggets, you're taking the Suns. But yeah, it is it is still somewhat open. There's no doubt, but it's hard to do two months. You're asking them to run for two months.
Speaker 1: I don't know our next article, This was a great one from the Ringers Logan Murdoch. Encourage you to go read it. Seek it out if you haven't. It's titled Jalen Brown is trying to find a balance and there was a lot of intrigue from this article TK, especially around Jalen Brown being a little non committal to his future with the Boston Celtics. I don't think that's a stretch for me to say, you know, really in his words, what were your thoughts on this article?
Speaker 6: The quote I will stay where I'm needed and treated correct to me, sounds like saying you better pay up, buddy, because he's going to be eligible for an extension here pretty soon. It could be a super duper max contract depending on how things shake out with all NBA at the end of the season. And reading it, it feels like Jalen Brown doesn't totally trust the front office because he knows that Jason Tatum is their number one guy, and it's been made quite obvious the fact that he was in Kevin Durant trade rumors over the summer, that the team and Wick Grusbeck come right to him and talk about, you're not in trade rumors right now. When KD became available again at the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: He just is like, I don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 6: They tell me what they're saying, but I don't necessarily know if it's true, because I think Jalen Brown knows deep down in his heart if they could have traded me for Kevin Durant, they probably would have done it if the price wasn't too high.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: It feels a little bit like he's making sure that the Celtics know that he is a quality player.
Speaker 4: The guy's awesome, and he's really.
Speaker 6: Grown since he's come to Boston as well, So he wants to get paid the way he should be paid come summertime. But also I don't think he's gonna be a lifelong Celtic. I mean, I don't necessarily know that this means he's asking out in the summer if they don't come with a super duper max contract, But just seems like he's got a lot of interests, a lot of ideas that he wants to explore in places that likely will not be Boston.
Speaker 3: After reading this one, I thought, have I already read this article? I thought, have I been doing a lot of reading and reacting because there was another article by Soapin deb on The New York Times which wasn't all that dissimilar. He was talking this week. I mean, he went on a short media run of two different authors and Murdoch and deb and basically telling it like it is to me reading these two articles, maybe like him more, I thought he was just he's just real, really, I mean, he said he's about something. He said, he's about the players getting more of the league profits. I said, he's about kids getting education, and he's looking out for himself. And he also he said stuff smart stuff like to The New York Times. He said, listen, maybe if I don't see eye to eye with Celtics owners, but doesn't mean we can't win a championship together. And he also called out part of the Celtics fan base for getting after him, which is true. And he just said I'm a Max dude without saying I'm a Max dude. He's a Max dude. He is, Yes, he deserves it, so.
Speaker 1: He's amazed if he is not an All NBA selection this year. Now, the problem might be and the voters need to get on the same page with this one. Are we voting for him for a guard or are we voting him for a forward? Because I believe you know you'll be given that option as a voter. But if let's say forty people put them all NBA forward and thirty eight put them all NBA guard, they don't jam the two together and say, well, okay, that's seventy eight votes for a forward. They say, nope, you only got forty as a forward. Like it could screw him here. I hope that's not the case.
Speaker 3: His next contract, yes, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: That's super super max. We're talking two hundred and fifty million ish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so, just to be clear, he signed through next year. He signed, You'll be a free agent in the summer of twenty any four unless they extend him this offseason, which why the hell wouldn't they. It's up to him if he wants to sign it.
Speaker 1: But he might be silly to do that because of increase in what he could eventually make, so he probably will not, depending again on this All NBA.
Speaker 3: Thing, Yeah, exactly. Yeah, the All NBA thing. He could sign a big, big max this offseason and be paid more than Jason Tatum.
Speaker 1: Do you think he'll be a busting Celtic then, like his next contract, you think he's just gonna sign a max contract they've given the White why wouldn't they? Or yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean they've had so much success as a team and as a duo, Like that's what everybody's looking for, its big wings who can play on both ends of the court. The Celtics have two of them, and they're young. But I can foresee a future like if the Celtics don't win a championship, things will change eventually, right Jalen Brown, I could see him wanting his own team, wanting to be the number one guy. He gets to be the number one guy a lot with Boston, but he's behind Tatum in the pecking order, So maybe he sets his site somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Like for instance, his hometown of Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I said. There's a lot of Dallas Mavericks rumors too with the Jason Kidd cal connection, and there's a lot of talk about him and Kyrie sort of like uh, you know, fixing if you want to say, their relationship who knows if he's going to be in Dallas. There was one line in this that stuck out to me from Logan. Quote Brown generally doesn't trust easily, and now that extends to his relationship with the Celtics end quote on that and that, I mean, you can sort of sense that from this guy. And also, you know I heard Bill Simmons talking to Logan about this article, this idea of like all these rumors coming up. Did the Celtics not do a great enough job in saying, dude, we're not trading you. Man, we don't want to trade you. Like, don't don't believe any of this, don't believe these like teams probably leaking this till.
Speaker 3: And then they had it out there as a rumor, right right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know, if you're the Celtic's like, well, what can we do. It's like if it's the Nets leaking this rumor to report X, like we can come out and say it all we want, but still it's like out there and it's like, also it's Kevin Durant exactly. It's like he knows that he would be traded for Kevin Durant, right, Yeah, I guess he would still take offense to it. Yeah, when you're a top fifteen play.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess they could have gone to him afterward and said we didn't want to trade you. That would probably be a lie because it did seem like they were in talks for Kevin Durant.
Speaker 1: Any other thoughts on this. It is a great article. Again to go check this one out from Logan. He put a lot of work into this. It is funny that both of those came out because these were like, these weren't done in three days, you know, these were months of at least in Logan's case. Can't speak for the other one, but I'm sure it took a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed to be timed. It seemed to be this. This is clearly his way of saying I want to be paid. I don't think it's an accident that these two happened to come out, and there's a media tour which had two stops. You know, maybe Murdock writs QUI I don't know, because I think Dev's he's a quick writer. The man writes books. So I feel like it's just Jayleen Brown voicing his his his business. And I like that he called out in the New York Times article, he called out the Celtics fan base. He said, if you have a bad game, they tied to your personal character. He's he's been a good player for them, a good role model for them. He hasn't complained about being the number two guy. There's controversy, but in terms of his you know, his relationship to Kanye and and and the Kyrie comments afterwards. But he's made it clear that he supports Kyrie and and he has also made it clear that we can disagree and I and I enjoy that about him. We can disagree, but at the end of the day, he is he is focused on winning a championship and focused on the right thing.
Speaker 1: There is this whole part of whether or not he just doesn't want to be Imposton because he wants to be somewhere else. Yep, for whatever his personal reasons, either with the organization, fan base, city all that.
Speaker 4: This is an.
Speaker 1: Underlying part to all of these articles. I think and we don't really know. You's not come up said that, you know, I mean, especially like even like, all right, here's two hundred and fifty million dollars, man, Like, are you gonna say, eh, No, I don't really like it here, I'd rather go x jeezus. I mean I doubt he would do that. Be a little wild for anyone to turn down that type of money, generational money. But maybe we.
Speaker 6: Haven't seen him make a choice to be in Boston. Yes, right, Like it's like when your first contract comes up, your original team, not only can they match, they can pay the most. That's also going to be the case here. And when you finally get a chance to like get your huge contract, you look around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, final one here in read and reacts the Athletics John Hollinger interesting article titled you thought MVP, Rookie of the Year and other races were settled? Not so fast? Okay, So Hollinger points out that if you had taken a survey around the All Star Break, voting for at least three of the major awards would have looked like slam dunks around the All Star Break, MVP, Jokic, Pallo, Rookie of the Year, and Mike Brown Coach of the Year. Done, done and done. But Johnny Holly says, we've seen a giant sea change, and then he goes through each race. So I guess the question off this is of those three MVP Rookie of the Year coach, which one, in your opinion tray is the most settled. Which one do you think is the most locked up.
Speaker 6: Ball not MVP, MVP that's super upper grabs right now.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 6: I would lean Rookie of the Year. A lot of people talking up Jalen Williams, no doubt about it. He has been incredible since the All Star Break. Was great before the All Star Break, but it's definitely taken it to another level. Scottie Barnes did steal the Rookie of the Year from Evan Mobley in the second half of last season, but I still think it's Polo Poncaro. The guy is the number one player on the Magic and he's been the number one guy the entire season. Jalen Williams, maybe he is the number two guy for OKAC right now. It's between him and Giddy for sure, but he's not seeing the number one defender every single night though cool I was on him for a huge chunk of the game.
Speaker 4: Last night, so I don't know.
Speaker 6: I definitely think that as the Magic have fallen in the standings, despite the fact that they're playing pretty well right now, got a chance to make some noise the last couple of weeks of the season. The fact that Okac is still in the play and race, maybe even in the playoff race, and that Jalen Williams is making these strides in the last quarter of the season. Definitely he's getting more votes than he would have at All Star break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like it was unanimous at the All Star Break, like everybody was like, Yeah, he's gonna get every single first place vote. Palla bank Carroll. Now there's might there's very likely going to be some first place votes for for Jalen Williams. I think it could happen, and maybe even Walker Kessler in the just maybe how many.
Speaker 3: I think this Holger's article is all about the MVP not being as settled as it was a couple months ago. Bank Carroll still the number one guy. This is how people vote for a rookie of the Year, who had the best season and who has the best outlook in the future. And he's got both. He had the best season and he's got the big brightest outlook out of all of those guys. As good as Jade has been and Kessler has been, I think he's he's got botes so maybe he's not unanimous, and maybe maybe it's nine votes, but it's freaking I okay, so I wouldn't worry about that. And Coach of the Year, maybe Michael Burton Brown doesn't have it as much as he did a couple of months ago.
Speaker 1: I still think he ultimately is going to sure.
Speaker 3: I just don't know. At first. I don't know, and I don't want to know how how voters think about Coach of the Year because it.
Speaker 1: Could be it's I'll tell you how they do. It's just it's all based off expectations. Yeah, exactly, based off of that.
Speaker 3: But Willie Hardy's got some votes. Yeah, to be had.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, what's Mark?
Speaker 4: What's Mark's d name? I can't find it? Great art well, I don't know it's middle name.
Speaker 3: Yea good good Are a good line by John Hollinger in this article, he said Mark Digno has done so well. I finally learned or tried to learn how to pronounce his name. Just kidding. It's Mark good wine good anyway. Okay, So is the one MVP is the one that is not settled And it's totally true. At All Star weekend, we were in Utah and the struppole was done by our man, Tim Vontepsen. It was basically it was high and so, yeah, it feels loud like Joel Embiid. It feels like the argument for Joel Embiid is very very loud right now. But I think it's pretty even between those two. I would say, Yoki Chin Embid, I think it could. It's a seesaw. So people yelled, were yelling at Jokich a month ago, people are yelling Embid right now and there's still time. I think it's definitely not settled. And that's the exciting part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an awesome line in this from Hollinger that talking about the MVP. Of course, once again, Jannis and Beat and Yokich or each having seasons that historically are usually good enough to win somebody an MVP trophy. So this is happening again. Consider that of the top thirteen all time seasons in per player efficiency rating since individual turnovers started being tracked in seventy seven and seventy eight, there have been seven such instances by these three guys in the past four seasons. They have more than half between the three of them of the greatest player efficiency rating seasons of all time. That is that is wild. There's the three best players in the league right now by significant margin. Yeah, and that's why it's coming down to the wire and everybody's making their case for each guy. But the thing that changed at the All Star break with Jokich was the Nuggets hit a slump and then the Sixers went on a massive, massive run, and then oh yeah, there's just gianis always lurking the entire time because everybody he's probably the best player, and we don't talk enough about like they missed Chris Middleton basically all season long, so that was like always an excuse or a good, like a positive for Yokic winning previous seasons, Like he's missing his best, second best guy in these guys that were injured at the time in Jamal and stuff like that. We don't really talk about that with Johannis at all. And maybe it's because they have Drew and Brooke and they still have great counted team. Maybe that's the reason. But it's still impressive. But I love this, Like I mean, I know it gets a little toxic, this debate, but this is way better than somebody just running away with an MVP. We have three elite bigment of all time, hands down, with ten days to go, trying to figure out, like who's gonna eke it out? Like this could be one of the closest MVP votes we ever get? Is the other play? Other thing in play?
Speaker 6: I should say, Yeah, people remember that, right, Like, isn't it Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson is the closest one nineteen ninety People like me remember that on an accident. I didn't even know it was in there, but yeah, the MVP race is awesome, and I don't know Doc Rivers now.
Speaker 4: Dad, He's like, we don't have to diss other guys to big up the guy.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, that's exactly what starts happening once you talk about it, because you gotta come when it comes down, when it comes down to it. As long as we're just quoting lines here that we read, I would like to hear JD's reaction to this. Johnny Holly writes he can still have his foibles.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: Sixers fans have made a new sport out of zaprudering Yokic's defensive failings. Hey, it's still better than pickleball and Bead's own defensive effort can fluctuate sharply from play by Wow play pickleball stray it didn't.
Speaker 8: Exist, A stray from the Zapruda film Yeah Wow Wow. Yeah listen, I was watching pickleball yesterday. Major League Pickleball Daytona started this weekend. It's on right now. A very pregnant woman playing in a major league pickleball.
Speaker 5: It's like, it's odd to see.
Speaker 1: You don't see. It's incredible.
Speaker 5: She's good. Yes, it's great.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but the you know, Rachel Ira having a debate is this good for the sport or is it bad for the sport?
Speaker 5: You know, like.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: And then there's a there's another like a forty seven year old woman and she doesn't look like she's in.
Speaker 5: The best shape, but she's an elite player. Is it good for the sport or not good? But she's like, that's great for this. I would say it's good for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. How many weeks pregnant are we talking?
Speaker 4: I'm talking like very right.
Speaker 5: I'm going to guess between seven and eight months.
Speaker 3: Pr Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Whoa.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And at one point she kind of dove like not she didn't died, but she was like wan forward to to grab a dink, but.
Speaker 1: Rachel so she grabbed a dig seven or eight months ago. Yes, possibly possibly closest races in MVP history. Just Star Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Michael Jordan was in that one. We had a Karl Malone, Michael Jordan in ninety six ninety seven. We had a Malone, Duncan Alonso Morning in ninety eight ninety nine, Nash and Shack four oh five, and then uh the Westbrook Harden and Kawhi in sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 4: That was a good one. One that was quite the race.
Speaker 1: I mean, I it's feeling like it's going to crack one of the like that top five lists this, yeah, because it's like the crazy part is like you have to decide the order of the three. So it's not like, I mean, you're right, and maybe it is just yokicchen Biid, but you were like.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get first place team in the league and you're taken the defense and all that. Like it's close, close, close.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell me if this is true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, first twenty games of the season and the last twenty games of the season are the most important, have the biggest impact for voting hands down, like Jason Tatum is still going to probably finish top five in MVP voting because he was on fire for the first twenty games of the season. Like Tatum, for the last half of the season has been pretty average. Jill And has been more consistent. Absolutely correct, But we remember those first twenty TATA games. Even when it comes to like Embiid's case, people are like, yeah, but remember his very first three games of the season, he was slacking.
Speaker 1: Set the tone. Whatever happens, set the tone in the rency. It's those Yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 3: People like making up their mind early for sure. I mean this is it was a week ago. Embiid was the leader by far. People yell in the moment.
Speaker 1: Well that big the game on March twenty seventh, might it could in some people, in some voters' minds determine, like where they lean to if Yo Kicch dominates a bead or Embiid once again dominates Yo Kitch in that particular matchup.
Speaker 3: We'll be watching on playback join us Monday night, Monday Night, Monday Night. We'll try not to turn to Monday Night Raw. As long as the game is good. We won't go to WWE Raw, but we like we jump.
Speaker 1: Over to it for like literally thirty seconds and we're like, who's that Max Nic splash?
Speaker 3: Otis can't help it, can't help it. I see that option WWE. Do you want to watch this?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: I like what I Rather than the wrestling, I just want to walk ins. That's the most entertaining part to me. Sure, Yeah, there's a splash. There was a large man. He did a splash. Last Who was that?
Speaker 1: Again, it wasn't Otis.
Speaker 3: It was a shoe.
Speaker 4: Who was the man?
Speaker 1: Who didn't that guy's name? It doesn't matter, no, no, anyway.
Speaker 3: I thought.
Speaker 1: He's a fairly new guy. He's newish. We'll figure it out during the break when we come back, Tass mellis with the worst of the Week nominees. Don't go anywhere, Okay. The wrestler that we saw do a big old splash on our last playback when we watched thirty seconds of Raw was Bronson Reed, But we also saw shout out to Jerome for reminding us on slack. Ricochet did a shooting star press and we gave a shout out to Billy Kidman. It was our thirty seconds Raw review there from playback, so we'll do it again. Maybe we'll jump over you never know. Okay, let's get.
Speaker 3: Too big men going at it. Yokchin em beat. Hopefully we see a big man match.
Speaker 1: Like Otis versus Bronson Reid or something. Yeah, yeah, okay, let's get to words.
Speaker 5: The ladies and gentlemen. The worst of the week.
Speaker 3: Us for talking about WWE perhaps, but we do have a repeat. I knew I love fifteen seconds. I love tuning into the forty eight hour bonanza that is WrestleMania for fifteen seconds. I can't believe they still they do that for two days anyway. The Grizzlies Dylan Brooks, two days, two weeks, back to back weeks for this guy. This week, after playing the MAVs, Dylan Brooks, he was asking for Kyrie Irving's jersey. Kyrie said, nah, Dylan, Well he got Kyrie's jersey, but Kyrie just decided now I don't want your jersey. I'm just moving on. He played it off really well, played it off really smoothly. When he was asked about afterwards, he said he was just moving on to the next thing. That's where my mind was. Maybe I'll get it from him next time, but he just didn't want his jersey. Played it well, so sorry, Dylan, got you gotta be nominated for that. And then his rival Draymond Green was prodded by his producer on his podcast to talk about this, and we have the clip of Draymond talking about it.
Speaker 7: By the way, dude, Jackson wanted me to talk about Kyrie not not taking Dylan Brooks jersey. Wow, wow, wow.
Speaker 3: That's it. Just a good laugh. So Dylan Brooks he received his eighteenth technical foul in that game as well, meaning he's suspended for the second time this season. Too many texts, you suspended for one more game. So that's back to back weeks here. He is a Worst of the Week nominee. Last week he pushed a camera person. If you remember that, I remember that he was fined thirty five thousand dollars over the weekend for that push on the court. Otherwise, things are going all right for Dylan Brooks. Actually they won beat the Warriors, doing all right.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, do you think you can do it next week? You think back to back to back, I mean, it's very difficult to threepeat. It's true, and worse of the week, especially if anyone could do it, Dylan Brooks.
Speaker 3: Kind of what kind of performance you've got Dylan easily, you know, some attire or something, because we mentioned that last week.
Speaker 1: So this is probably his third worst of the week. Did he get it for the Dick punch on?
Speaker 5: Is that a Mitchell?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: He didn't get it for that.
Speaker 4: Did he get it for fighting with Shannon Sharp?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, you didn't get it for that. He's got to have three or four by this point.
Speaker 4: What a season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he would get the banner in the All Starter studio Brooks o his mug on. It would be great.
Speaker 4: Just got to keep it going. Grizzlies have won seven of eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's playing better.
Speaker 1: That's Dylan Dylan.
Speaker 3: This is I checked because he's got eighteen texts leading the NBA. I checked. If he was a serial technical foul getter, if he was up there the last few years. No, it's not. So you's got to keep it up. You're right, Just just keep getting well.
Speaker 1: There was a huge conspiracy going around that he's actually the greatest teammate of all time, and Dylan Brooks his behavior over the last couple of weeks was all like a smoke screen to draw attention away from John Morant and his struggles and what was going on in his life, to get all of us just focusing on Dylan Brooks.
Speaker 3: Being a weirdough, no focus on John Moran. At worked, there was less.
Speaker 1: I mean we did talk a lot of them, Dylan Brooks.
Speaker 3: Man, yeahhole lot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he's a great teammate. I'm sure he is best of the week.
Speaker 4: He was wearing a cardigan with nothing underneath.
Speaker 3: Oh I missed that.
Speaker 6: That's crazy. That seems itchy to me. But I'm sure he has luxurious fabrics.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing. It's like, that's not even that crazy for him, Like, oh, he had a shirt on.
Speaker 5: Nice all right, I turned, I've changed my mind.
Speaker 4: I've been on Dylan.
Speaker 6: I was out on Dylan Brooks for the entirety of his career until March, basically an event he started talking trash, getting technicals and playing better.
Speaker 1: And sure, I'm excited for the series where he loses the Grizzlies a game going for a twenty one and then wins them a game in the same series because he locks somebody up at the end or hits six threes and hits a game winner or something like that, Like that'll happen within like a four day window, and I'm here for it, So go on, Dylan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's interesting that he's turning into Draymond Green in some degree, you know, just being loud, talking a lot, backing up his teammates, getting tax it's working, and he's the clip came out recently when he was with Oregon that he said he wanted to beat Draymond Green right essentially, and now it's working. So keep it up for sure, all right. Second nominee the MAVs and the referees. Unfortunately, the Mavericks allowed the easiest basket in the history of the NBA. Talked about it. It was an inbound under their defensive hoop. They stood on the other side of the floor. There's five warriors under their hoop. How do you explain that? So it's mostly on them. But after thinking about a little bit more over the last twenty four hours, I think the refs should be held a little bit more culpable. I still think it's seventy five to twenty five, okay, but maybe I was swayed by Mark Cuban tweeting.
Speaker 1: At me, that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Well, it's still a mass fault, there's no doubt. But I tweeted a video of Jordan Poole hanging out with the referee literally for fifteen seconds before he inbounded the ball, and the MAVs were on the other side of the floor scratching themselves. Essentially, they were just hanging out on the other side of the floor. Cuban replied, said, then why was the ref who said it was our ball lined up by our baseline and not on the other side of the court. I can answer that. And why did they blow the whistle after the play to clarify rather than before because the ref knew he had made a mistake. They have to all give the thumbs up to start, okay, So I do think there's a little point in this unwritten referee rule that they have to give a thumbs up to each other.
Speaker 1: Okay. So he's saying there's miscommunication the officials, right, That's what Cuban's really saying here that maybe some of them knew it was of course the Warrior's ball, but this one particular referee thought it was Dallas Mavericks ball.
Speaker 3: That's what he's saying, well, he's saying the one guy was on our side. You're referring to the he said a few things. He's saying the one guy was on our side, but he was. The referee just goes where the players are. I mean, he's he has to be where he was outside the baseline. It's not that's where the referees go. The referee goes where the players are. They officiate where the players are. Where do you want the referee to be on the other side, like he's behind the player. You always have to have a referee behind all the players. So that part, I don't really care. The whole thumbs up thing again, we said it yesterday. There could have been better communication, of course, Yeah, the rest could have said, okay, before I give the ball to your pool, here's my thumb do you want to tell these guys that they should be coming down here? But also the MAVs didn't pipe up.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of confusion. You have a lot of confusion. I'm with you.
Speaker 6: In the ensuing days, I've become more anti ref pill though on this one. I heard Jeff Van Gundy talking on Zach Lowe's podcast basically just saying this is complete mismanagement by the referees. This kind of thing doesn't happen in other games, and similar confusion could have happened.
Speaker 4: The way everybody is set up.
Speaker 6: It looks like the Warriors should be bringing the ball to play deep, to play against the MAVs playing defense. But that's completely flipped for literally everything should have been some thumbs up, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, think a mass watch it.
Speaker 4: The refs botched it. Yeah, and you know, suck it right.
Speaker 1: The MAVs watched it. The ball is down at that end. You thought you were inbounding the ball. Why is there no one inbounding the ball?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Done? Like, what did they say, think that the ball was coming to the other end, which would have been the opposite way they were going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't ask what did they think because they were not thinking, that's clear. They were not thinking. Why did the ref blow the whistle after the play to clarify rather than before? Well, because it was the most confusing play in NBA history, So there was going to be a whistle. They were going to talk about it, and again they may have been. They may have made the mistake of not talking a little bit more and saying, hey, team in blue, you know where the ball is. The ball is over there. Why not go near the ball again? I showed the clip of Jordan Pool sitting there for fifteen seconds.
Speaker 4: I was a lone.
Speaker 1: If we get into this idea, should there have been like sportsmanship displayed by the referees, because you could argue like, okay, they don't know, they have no idea that it's actually Warriors ball. They're on the wrong end of the floor. The official in theory could be like, just hold on, Pool, just hold on, guys, you're down here. Yeah, like I said, what we do when we coach gratings or eight year olds.
Speaker 3: Pool was trying to confuse them. Pool was talking about something else, and all of a sudden he said.
Speaker 1: Well, Pool realized on holding our ball, and he's like, okay, it's your ball for sure. Yeah. Yeah. He is demanding the ball, and the officials like, well, I guess it is your ball, so here you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the ref the ref and watching it again, the ref says we're here, here's your ball. And I guess his thumb was in his fist or whatever.
Speaker 1: Cuban actually filed the protests. Did it really happen or was that all him talking up Gabe because I think he's the window is getting smaller here. So I don't know. I haven't seen anything that it's officially been protested.
Speaker 3: As cubes come on the show, we'll talk about refereeing some more. Why don't we do it now? With our third nominee for Worst of the Week, it's the referees again again. This one's going to be short. This one's going to be short, but week to week to week, we got to talk about the referees on this show. Thunder Clippers Tuesday, near the end of the first half, Kawhi wasn't happy with a non call. He clapped, ref teed him up. Teammate Terrence Man comes over and says, come on, that was a fat where was the call? Gave another clap. Referee did not like that, gone Terrence, so Qui just got one tech Terrence Man got two. In the second half, the referee came back and told Kawhi apparently quote Kai said, he came back in the second half and said, that was my bad. I made a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes. I appreciate that. Appreciate that a little too late though, you tossed the guy for no reason, and they did end up losing the game, not just because Man was out, but they did end up losing the game, and the League officially rescinded Man's second tech foul, which was not deserved. The game won, though. No clapping in basketball. So it's just like we can't go a few days without talking about the rest unfortunately and in its. But you brought up earlier why Lebron called out the media. It just seems like players are calling out every person who has any sort of say, the media, the refs, They're just calling everything out there, just being empowered.
Speaker 4: And that's fine.
Speaker 3: I think that's totally fine. Just has a little bit of spice. Nobody likes this ref player stuff overall. But we just know too many rest names. They called too many things. Put away the whistles.
Speaker 1: The official was a little too emotional last night. But you know what's interesting where we don't point out it was what's his name? Was it Leon Wood? Last night?
Speaker 3: I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: It was Leon Wood with Julius randall right, we were talking about him going crazy and getting the technical at the end of the first half, but he was going nuts. Oh yeah, and leon Wood, to his credit, he eventually had to give him a technical, but he took a lot of Randall being pissed off, frustrated they're getting hammered by the magic. He thought he got hit, you know, right at the end of the half, and he let him get away with a ton and like, we don't really illustrate or point these instances out where that's good officiating. He knows the guy's hot headed and he's got a temper right now, and like, all right, I'll give you a tech. I could have easily tossed you. You're coming at me. You're probably yelling things. It's a former player maybe in leon Wood. I don't know. He just handled it a lot better than some of these other officials would have. I would love to see refstats ex players to technicals. Oh, I bet they give less. I bet there is a longer leash for players with uh. The referees who used to play in the NBA realize and I'm not going to kick you out for yelling at me. I remember what it was like to get mad at referees. I guarantee they gave less text that's probably true.
Speaker 3: I also want to see how fast they give it time per tech. Let's get that long.
Speaker 1: Last night so long, and even that's why I think quickly he's like, all right, man, like you are going to get tossed from this game, like it's incredible you haven't yet. And then that's why they get into it as he's trying to pull him wing, get them in the locker room. But best of the week to Leon Wood. I believe that's his name. Yep, yeah, all right, so who gets it? I mean, it's not a good week for the officials. It's never a good week for Dylan Brooks. But what do the people think worst of the week?
Speaker 4: Put it to a vote it okay, So.
Speaker 1: Who are you going? You gotta go. You're going Dylan Brooks, Mark Cuban and the MAVs and then just official.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll doom MAVs referee controversy all right, then just straight up refs, but not Leon Wood. Please note that. Get your votes in.
Speaker 1: Okay, we gotta take our final break here the Drop Podcast when we come back, picking results and rapid fire fund don't go anywhere. Last night's game was once again the Clippers Lakers. Excuse me, clip, let me try that again. Last night's game was Thunder Clippers, and the Clippers won. They were the favorites. I saw that line move from two and a half to four and a half, but it didn't matter. They got it done. You guys got it right. Tray ten and seven, Task five and twelve. It bumped me down below five eight nine for the month of March.
Speaker 5: What's tonight's game distance Raps.
Speaker 3: Does Dwayne Casey still have it over the Toronto Raptors? WHOA all they have to do is lose by twelve or less because the is twelve and a half. The Reps favored by twelve and a half. Heats myself, think they're gonna cover that big, big, big line. Trey are going with Dwayne the Dwayne If I understand.
Speaker 4: When it Duane's it pours, it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard for the Reps to beat their former definitely Trip. He just gets them to play for them. They beat them last time, though, didn't they Yeah it.
Speaker 1: Was close it No, it was like a five point game, four point game. So yeah, this is a big line.
Speaker 4: But this is the only way the picks could go.
Speaker 6: It has to has to has to do Homer picks and I gotta take the switch up and that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: That's a you have to serve and you're in a pretty good spot with the way the pistons in Casey play the raps very fair. We will find out tonight. Okay, let's end this Drop podcast with some rapid fire fun. I got the questions this week. You guys got the answers. First one we learned this week that Will Hardy's Utah Jazz are winning thanks to cheeseburgers, carrot top and fun. I think the NBA turns a lot of these dudes into little old men. Hardy told the Saint Lake Lake Tribune, like they're so worried about doing everything perfect that we got twenty two year olds eat fucking salmon and keela for every much end quote. Well, Hardy, that's a great line. What are we doing? So my question off of this, what's something you do to feel young again?
Speaker 3: What's Will complaining about?
Speaker 4: Due the boys eat?
Speaker 1: Let the boys have some fun.
Speaker 3: You want him to have cheetoes. They're playing so well, you will, They're gonna win you this coy, I'm gonna win the Coach of the year man. Let him eat salmon and fucking Greenway anyway. Everything that's just great stuff from Will.
Speaker 1: What's something you do to feel young?
Speaker 3: Well? I listened to new music, okay, just tough tough out there finding new music. I've never pronounced it young ma. Never, it's young m a. That's what it's pronounced like. I do it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I go in, I go out and fade in a fade out. Yeah. I want to listen to music. Nah, I don't, Yeah, I do. I don't. Sometimes I feel young. Sometimes I feel like e Salmon and keen one.
Speaker 1: How do you do it? Do you?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do you get your suggestions from your music service or do you turn to someone younger in your life, a young cousin.
Speaker 3: Or something like that. I look at my keyboard, I type in a letter into the search bar.
Speaker 4: Oh b, I'm just too It comes up bad Bunny Beatles. Yes, younger old either way? All right?
Speaker 6: What about you Trey argue about Disney characters? Oh yeah, it felt so good. I haven't thought about Aladdin er Simba that much in like twenty years. Having opinions on it felt very much like being I don't know, twelve years old.
Speaker 4: Aladdin could definitely beat up scarm if they.
Speaker 6: Thought felt great. You know, I said some things I regret. Aladdin was a good guy.
Speaker 4: He's a fine guy.
Speaker 6: Did you say he was a bad guy, said he was nothing until the genie showed up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you did say.
Speaker 4: That's not true. Yeah he was a liar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a thief.
Speaker 6: He was power hungry, doing everything he could to get into the royal family. And meanwhile Simba just wanted his dad back. But you guys are right, Aladdin's a better character.
Speaker 1: Well, you also said something wrong about the Lion King.
Speaker 6: The Lion Experience was based on King Lear, It's really loosely based on Hamlet.
Speaker 4: But for sure the Lion King has a better soundtrack.
Speaker 6: That was a debate that a lot of That got a lot of people going, who's a better musician, Elton John or Robin Williams.
Speaker 3: They didn't. They didn't make a new movie about the Lion King because they didn't have a will Smith.
Speaker 4: They didn't make a new Lion King.
Speaker 3: Well, who cares all these?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 3: But I got rush music.
Speaker 5: I think like this is there is a live action Lion King.
Speaker 1: Is there now?
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's not worth anything. And compared to Aladdin, I agree, Guy Ritchie directed that one that was beautifully shot.
Speaker 1: The one with Will Smith. Yeah, I've never watched it. That's good, all right, Sure, Okay, what's something sorry? You've done any more on the Aladdin symbol?
Speaker 4: You got? Okay?
Speaker 1: Still he still believes that's fair that the Lion King has better soundtrack. That was the thing that was better music overall than Aladdin.
Speaker 5: I think there's too many lyrics.
Speaker 8: Like this is Elton John sometimes this this is a problem because he doesn't write the lyrics. So you got Tim Rice writing the lyrics, and he just tries to jam him all in like can you feel love tonight? If you listen to that, just listen to it tonight. There's a lot of lyrics just jammed in those verses. But can you feel the love tonight?
Speaker 3: Is great? Hook?
Speaker 5: I cannot deny it.
Speaker 8: It's a great soundtrack, Trey, it's a great soundtrack. I think I like Aladdin better Desert Island.
Speaker 5: I'm picking Aladdin open.
Speaker 1: To repeat, listen. Yes, what's something you do to feel young again?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: It's play pickleball?
Speaker 8: Because I'm by far the youngest person out there other than Rachel. Like Rachel in there now they refer to her as the kid.
Speaker 1: Old one.
Speaker 5: She's like, here's the kid for the kid.
Speaker 1: So you are, yeah, you're young and my.
Speaker 5: Young guy out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, do they know you got a podcast to know pickleball? No dinks? Get these people.
Speaker 9: On right, probably should whoever has the highest super rating of the next guest.
Speaker 4: I got a cramp crump. I knew what bad guys leaving today.
Speaker 6: I was like, I'm gonna cramp this this morning. I hoop night ate a banana as I was leaving.
Speaker 1: But bullet, it.
Speaker 4: Couldn't It's a big one.
Speaker 3: I couldn't tell. I couldn't tell if you were committing to the bit of calling pickleball people old, I pretending you were cramping.
Speaker 8: Cramp, you need a Sara gun Man, I got you need a friend, Like ask the next question.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna grab aar Okay, he'll survive, he's gonna get he's gonna get it up, gets an elevation.
Speaker 3: Okay, you played, you played through pregnancy. Serena Williams sider. This guy's this guy's podcasting through a cramp.
Speaker 1: Well it helps. That probably helps, though. There you go. Gd's gone to get him with Sarah gun I bet Rachel's using it right now. She probably played pickleball this morning, probably in the other room, right in the back of the back of the leg, back of the hammer root.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, here he comes my right handy last night.
Speaker 1: Is alright? Fire, fire it up. You never used one of those?
Speaker 6: Yeah, not regularly or not not for more than like a tryout, Like is this cool?
Speaker 4: How does it work? But man, I'm loving it right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna really loosen. Yeah, okay, let's keep it going. According to Nick Depaula, Curry brand is relaunching the white Chef Curry twos on April Fool's Day with a twist. The updated design features a charred toe, which is a nod to Twitter roasting the original shoe if you remember that, and then also Steph writing straight fire emoji on his pair after I think we have a photo there it is. This was this set Twitter ablaze when those Chef Curry twos came out, So they're re releasing them on April Fools Day. So that's pretty funny. So my question is, what's the ugliest shoe you've ever worn.
Speaker 3: It's gonna sound weird, but the Jordan eleven patent leather because I purchased it. It's you know, it's the classic some call the best shoe in the history of shoes, ok, the pat and leather. But I bought a fake. I bought actually from a shop in China, and it was not real whatsoever. So the fact that it's such a gorgeous, beautiful, pristine shoe as a real one, one of the best ever with all these little imperfections stitching off here, this color here, makes it so much more disgusting. Good deal though, probably.
Speaker 1: Okay, I should have.
Speaker 3: Just been in Aladdin stole that thing.
Speaker 1: But anyway, what about you, Trey, what's the ugliest shoe you've ever worn?
Speaker 6: It was the mid two thousands was the era. I don't know if y'all had these, but they were very popular back in the day. Steve Madden is the brand I think of that makes them. And it's like, what is this like a damn bullying It's like a bowling shoe, but a dress bowling shoe. I had like a similar to this look was like a beige with like a blue.
Speaker 5: Backwards h on it. Everybody likely that duck feet, but.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know time everyone was doing.
Speaker 4: It about square feet.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I had a pair of sn not white.
Speaker 4: I mean that is the next level. They were bad, Oh, they were bad.
Speaker 3: They looked big though it looked bigger than that.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, gus, these are in give me a fourteen.
Speaker 1: These clown shoes. What about you, jd ugly shoes you've ever worn?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean I bought myself a pair of Birkenstocks over the pandemic, said I would never ever. But you know, here's a picture of my feet this morning.
Speaker 3: Cool so cool. Look man, I guess this socks and stocks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, socks and Birkenstocks.
Speaker 8: It's a classic Canadian wool sock with the you know this is this is camp weare?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's tramp ware.
Speaker 8: A fine, But I also I have sunk to a new level because coming today, according to my tre are these babies. It's a powder blue croc I ordered.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: Okay, now this is because you know, my backyard is a mess. I have a new dog, Hazel. She's tearing up the place, and I need to wear something out there that isn't the birkenstars.
Speaker 1: Oh, these are outdoor slippers.
Speaker 5: They're outdoor slippers. Yeah, and this.
Speaker 8: Color because they were the cheapest ones, so oh they were on sale, so I.
Speaker 3: Was like, screw it.
Speaker 1: What did those go for?
Speaker 8: What was those ones on sale were like thirty bucks? They're normally fifty bucks.
Speaker 5: All the kids at Jackson's High School wear cross What a run. Crocs have had, incredible.
Speaker 4: Crazy run.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. You thought they'd be here for a year and gone.
Speaker 8: I remember people wearing them seventeen years ago, like the nurses at the hospital.
Speaker 1: Well they were told not to wear them.
Speaker 8: I remember, oh, yes, exactly, but they were still wearing them. Like I don't know when when Lincoln was was being born, the nurses in the hospital were wearing craps. Wow, and like people were wearing guys were wearing them in the kitchens working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And they were just all the rage and.
Speaker 5: They're still going.
Speaker 1: They're just so comfortable.
Speaker 3: What amazing are they comfortable? You'll find out a photo of you.
Speaker 1: And they're on everybody's feet because only look final one here. A reality star Larsa Pippen got frank about her sex life during the recent reunion episode of the Real Housewives of Miami, claiming bragging, definitely lying that she and her ex husband Scottie Pippen had sex four times every single night until they're divorced in twenty twenty one. Yes, Larsa Pippen claims to have had sex with Scottie Pippen over thirty three thousand times?
Speaker 4: Is that where we wor thirty three? I got a goal to hit?
Speaker 1: So I want to know what's something that you've maybe exaggerated before tests.
Speaker 3: I believe them first four times every night?
Speaker 8: Yeah, about four times right up until the divorce. That seems also.
Speaker 1: And Cole was like he was an NBA player that traveled a ton every night. And she's like, yeah, I traveled with him everywhere. Wow, that's what she said. Anyway, what do you exaggerate? Exaggerating?
Speaker 3: Well, I exaggerate my shoe size for sure, and eleven we're not going ten and a half. Eleven sounds bigger, but isn't it more comfortable?
Speaker 1: Like the shoe like a tag shoe.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: Steve's twelve.
Speaker 1: I like Steve Madden's extra baby, extra clunky. I made the the change to a half sized up though in my basketball shoe because you guys, remember I kept like every time we play hoops, i'd like have a bloody toe in. Yeah, like Jesus, like I need more room down there. It turns out you do.
Speaker 3: It's you had a small shoe.
Speaker 1: I don't know they weren't. It wasn't small in any of my other shoes. That's the part don't make sense. I think it's the cutting in the moving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not a lot of toe space.
Speaker 6: You can maybe try a pair of Steve Maddens.
Speaker 4: Run up and down the court wearing Steve Maddens.
Speaker 1: We should have a game where we could only wear Steve Madden's.
Speaker 4: Everybody has air. I'm sure. Go in your closet, dig out your fifteen year old pair of Steve man I don't run.
Speaker 1: You've got to bring a pair of black Steve Maddens and white Steve Maddens. All right, so your shoe size, you've exaggerated. What about you, Trey.
Speaker 6: I went on a podcast and compare myself to Nicola.
Speaker 4: Yosh, he's better. He's a little better than me. That's a good one.
Speaker 6: But Meate Jones did say that prime Tray Kirby at a media run is Drew Timmy. Yeah, like a crazy game last night. He's not very athletic at all. It's all spin moves in little dinks and dumps.
Speaker 4: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny and JD take us home. Something you've exaggerated.
Speaker 8: Before, Yeah, I always exaggerated how long we've been doing the show. For some reason, I always say seventeen years. Like this year, I've been saying been doing the show for seventeen years, but that's actually not it's.
Speaker 1: Seventeen NBA season.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, but it's sixteen years. I don't I don't know why I feel the need to.
Speaker 1: An exaggeration would be like, yeah, I've been podcasting producing podcasts for two.
Speaker 3: Decades, right, yeah, yeah, but it's literally seventeen years now, well is it seventy Yeah, seventeen years plus two months May starting six, it's seventeen years. Wait a minute, because oh, you're right earlier this season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the early.
Speaker 3: You can round up a couple of months. You don't need to.
Speaker 5: Sixteen years is enough.
Speaker 1: Enough, it's twenty many years.
Speaker 3: I've heard some other exaggerations.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely drunk. I exaggerated a total number of podcasts.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think I was recently on a podcast where I just dropped like a yeah, we've done like five thousand podcasts. Like, what, what what?
Speaker 4: What we've done?
Speaker 1: Five thousand?
Speaker 4: I would call that more of an estimation than an exaggeration. We're closing in on five thousand. At least.
Speaker 1: It all gets into like which ones are we counting? You know, the spinoffs? You start adding all those up, I mean, are you counting other just social not not YouTube shorts, but other videos we've made before?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, five thousand pieces of media content. Maybe that's not that much of an exaggeration. Podcast.
Speaker 8: I guess the question is when do you start rounding down? Because it's like, I've been doing this for twenty five years.
Speaker 3: I don't want almost ashamed.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know what I mean, like, you've been doing this for twenty five.
Speaker 4: Years, shame.
Speaker 3: Years.
Speaker 1: When you say twenty years, that does sound correct.
Speaker 8: I mean that's that's soon, that's soon, twenty years.
Speaker 3: We'll be doing it's yesterday pretty much.
Speaker 1: We're nearing a thousand podcasts of No Dunks, just with the athletics. What you got on you it's right there. We did over one thousand as the basketball Jones, over thirteen hundred as the starters, seven as the free agents.
Speaker 4: Let's not forget those.
Speaker 1: Let's not forget those two weeks or whatever it was, and then yeah, another thousand coming up.
Speaker 3: Crazy, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a lot, all right. That's the rapid fire, so rapid, so fire. That's the drop. Thanks for joining us. Leave your boys a five star rating and review. Make sure you keep your your ears ready for this weekend's fast Friends Tokyo Trif. That was a fun one to record with the guys and get your tickets. Monday, April third, in Houston, Texas, a live show from No Dunks presented by Neutral at the White Oak Music Hall doors at five, show at six. Special guests Kelly Eco of the Athletic covers the Rockets. He's going to join us on stage for a little bit, so that'll be a blast. And then if you want to stick around after the live show, they are going to show the NCAA Championship game on the ginormous big screen that Jad says is potentially a led screen, not even a projector. Thank god those although I guess we're in the basement. It's not going to be an issue with sun. Oh yeah, and I ever watched a trim watch a projector and it's like too much lights. I can't see anything. So there will be a blast that white oak. Come join us, that is coming up there.
Speaker 5: All neutral will flow, man, I.
Speaker 1: Tell you they better have the BlackBerry lemonade. I will say this, No mango for us.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know what.
Speaker 1: I think it's my least favorite, and I love all the other ones. But I had a mango last night, sitting on the porch. Beautiful day here in Atlanta, great day for a mango flaps sitting beside me.
Speaker 4: But just I think it's me.
Speaker 1: It's I'm not a mango mango juice. So you never really want a mango like the actual fruit. You like mango like light light, You.
Speaker 4: Do mangoes, fire juice, fruit, mango, anything, mango. Mango. Mango is a top.
Speaker 1: Tier fruit in my book. Doesn't doesn't pair nicely with my my real Seltzer and my real vodka.
Speaker 8: Fair fair, plenty of other flavors, flavors, most fun.
Speaker 3: Mango has the most fun pit of them all.
Speaker 4: That seed that crazy.
Speaker 8: I don't even know.
Speaker 5: What that thing is.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 6: I love to slice the cheeks off a mango, feed it to the kids. You can do the cool thing where you like cross slice it, flip it out.
Speaker 4: And then you just get the nona on that seed. Disgusting but so good, pure juice all in your teeth.
Speaker 1: That's a mango.
Speaker 4: I bet that's a juicy Yeah, he would hate that.
Speaker 3: He hates all juicy fruit gum.
Speaker 5: He loves the gum iron locome.
Speaker 1: It's all real fruit.
Speaker 4: Is this good?
Speaker 1: New one coming up there? Early start up next week, so make sure you subscribe to that as well, and get on the Patreon. Maybe he could rank his fruits or something like that. You should, he should. Here's what you should do. This is good Patreo material on camera. Have Maddio have to eat allD the fruits?
Speaker 4: Is it good? Nope? All right?
Speaker 5: Next b five fruits and he just has it.
Speaker 3: He eats them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting a mess, so messy like make yeah, make them do it nude for sure. Okay, guys, thanks for joining us on the job. Shout out to everybody joining us, Lie, We really appreciate it. Make sure you subscribe and hit that light button. We will see you when we see you next, but probably here on Monday from the Classic Factory. Until then, Clipper bros.
Speaker 4: You heard it here first. Have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us I remember Scottie pippin War thirty three because you heard it here.
Speaker 1: First race, the weekend people