Speaker 1: I started learning how to my makeup. I stopped booking makeup artists. I started to get my makeup collection up. My followers can ask them like, well, I'm about to give this company all this attention, I'm just going to come out with my own college.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Idea Generations All Angles, a podcast about culture's most influential brands and the teams that built them. If you're an entrepreneur, creative, or anyone interested in harnessing the power of collaboration, join me Noah Callahan Bever each week as we dissect the most dynamic companies in culture. Because the only way to truly understand success.
Speaker 3: Is to look at it from all angles.
Speaker 2: Idea Generations All Angles is a Will Packer media podcast. In twenty seventeen, Raynel Stewart, more commonly known by her social handle Supercent, launched the Crayon Case, a cosmetic kit for amateur makeup artists featuring bright, playful colors. In the ensuing five years, the Crayon Case would explode into a fifty million dollar business thanks to their confluence of innovative marketing approach, their vocal and hilarious founder, and a rock solid team of crafty individuals with unique professional experiences, including a partner who worked for the illustrious New Orleans label No Limit Records. But as with any company that enjoys rapid growth, mistakes were made, lessons were learned, and the Crayon case would be forced to navigate uncharted waters. On this week's episode of All Angles, we talked to founder Superci, business manager Russell Faker, and marketing director Iona Norris to hear how together they built one of the hottest makeup brands on the market. But before any of that happened, before the multimillion dollar cyber month or a spot on Oprah's Favorite Things, Supercent was just a young content creator in New Orleans trying to figure out how to code her MySpace theme.
Speaker 1: What drew me to social media early was Hurricane Katrina. When Hurricane Katrina happened, we had to keep in touch with our friends and our family. When my Space came out, That's how we kept up with our best friends, and I was able to see who was alive from Katrina, you know. And then the next thing was Facebook. They had statuses, So that's why I was more informative about my feelings and what's going on and how I feel about this than my opinions about relationships in life.
Speaker 2: Many of us took for granted Facebook's simple prompt to let the world know what we were doing, But for Super this created a new level of self awareness and inspired her to express herself on the Internet in a way that she hadn't before.
Speaker 1: Facebook really pushed me out there when it came to talking about me. Social media of pushed me out things to the world so bad. That was a very open, real, straightforward person. All my friends around me was doing funny ass kits. There was being Super funny, going out there way to be weird, and I was just I had work housekeeper and just showing them how I felt about something. And I guess they thought that was funny.
Speaker 2: Super started to build a fun, organic and loyal following on her socials by letting her followers into her everyday life. As her fan base started to scale, she realized there was an opportunity to productize her personality and offer something tangible to her audience, so she opted for something close to her heart, New Orleans Bounce music.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 1: Being on social media, a lot of people did not know about different cultures or music. I didn't think Bounce music was for New Orleans. I thought it was for the whole world. But then me getting on social media, I'm like, okay, so it's just a New Orleans shot and they was like, what you're listening to me? Like why are you trying to song? Why this song sound like that? I'm like, this called Bunce music. So I started telling them where to find it a because they couldn't really find it no iTunes. They had to get it off of YouTube. But they was like, we want to hear Li's sit in our car. So I'm like, well, let me see if I can come out with some cvs and sell it to thee because I couldn't do it online, like I couldn't put no iTunes. And that's what I did. Start the Burns CDs and I sip until them and they just got enter into a whole different caution you love it.
Speaker 2: Super's burn CDs were a hit. She was moving units and she could barely keep up with the mand. Super had gone into the business expecting to sell a couple hundred, and within weeks she had orders in the thousands.
Speaker 1: So my CDs is seven dollars and I got them printed everything I got my I was playing list printed. I got all that printed. Then I had to buy the yellow packages from Walmart. Then I had to buy papers to write your address on and tape the tape it and then stamp to ship it. Like it was so much and I didn't realize how much it would be because that was my first time actually doing right. I was supposed to corporate the website price. I was supposed in corporate so many prices that I did so I think I made fourteen thousand, but I probably spent probably twenty probably twenty five. It was just reckless and crazy. I don't know what I was doing, but it was a great thing to do because a lot of people got the CD. I didn't think the CGU was going to sell that fast, but it sold out so fast that I was happy about that.
Speaker 2: Supers venture into Hawking CDs wasn't necessarily a success financially, but the lesson she learned it fulfillment and customer service, would pay dividends down the line. As her social media following scaled, super continued to idate on how to capitalize on her magnetic persona.
Speaker 3: For her next venture.
Speaker 2: She would utilize a popular catchphrase from her handle, known for liberally blocking detractors, super slogan Hye block hose became a rallying cry within her comments section. Now equipped with an entrepreneurial eye, she knew it could be more than just a hashtag. It could be a brand. So what did you do next? Of course, she put it on a T shirt.
Speaker 1: So our black holes came down because I was very known for blocking people on social media. Still am I just cannot tolerate disrespectful from somebody I can't see, don't know, never heard of it, but it just don't make sist to me to allow them to be on my page. And you got so much and amosity towards me and I can't even see you. I don't know you, so blocked, right, But the blocking came from a way deeper, meaning I've been blocking people to a house. So the term came about with people saying, oh, why are you blocking it? Because which I block over? And then people said, oh, you gotta put that down shirt. People used to tell me, I don't think a curse word on a shirt is going to sell them. I'm like holes, Like, technically it's not really curse work. Well, you know, so I just made it work. I started getting the shirts printed. I finally supplied in New Orleans, got my shirt print, and I started incorporating every price, every price. I even incorporated gas one time. I'm like, okay, I'm just being paid. So I had to go pick up the shirts right after he made them. So it came with my website. I got my website done. I put so much effort into that business, and I think I was just trying to be better than the CD right, and it was perfect. I'm doing all this in my house, all this in my living room. I probably had some of my friends more every now and then, but I did all this myself. I didn't even have a labor printer. Still, I didn't know about a labor printing until way lived on and in my life so much easier, Oh my god. And I was having fun with everything. I was shooting like maybe thirty orders a day, and I wasn't happening late. It's a lot of orders, you know. The thing is, it was so many orders at the time, but for me, it won't that many orders because I did the whole day to do yet, so it was really nothing. But at that time it was a greater amount orders. I was in a better head space. I was able to pay rent beforehand and not have to wait for it and had to find out when rent coming. I was able to pay it off quickly, and I was able to do a lot of stuff that I wasn't able to do in my other years, you know. So I felt like that was the great.
Speaker 2: Starting the iblock host t's were a massive success. Super had figured out how to tap into her fan base, create a fun, desirable product, and deliver it without issue. It was a blueprint that could be repeated, and her potential was not lost on those in the local scene either. One person in particular who took note was Russell Baker, a former artist manager who worked with Mac and C Murder from Masterpiece legendary label No Limit Records.
Speaker 5: I was introduced to Supa and late twenty fifteen a mutual a friend of ours say, Man, you need to check and check out. She is so hilarige. I think she'd be a good client for you to manage. And at that time I had taken the hiatus on managing talent, and I told a note. I told him no, and then I told her no, just because I was kind of burned out on a business. I started off a friend of mine who was signed to No Limit Records, McKinley Phipps, now known as Mac Phipps. I started with him in ninety nine two thousand and then he was unfortunately incocerated for a crime he didn't commit. And then I assisted see with his label and that mutual friend that introduced SUP and hour would running his label and managing him, and then he was arrested. So at that time, I was like, you know what, Uh, maybe this is not for me. And so after a while I just kept watching her. And as I was watching her, I said, man, she is so talented. She has natural comedic talent. No matter what she touches, she has that what you call the it factor.
Speaker 1: She has.
Speaker 6: She put her mind to it, it's gonna strike. She was starting to sell a mixtapes. She always loved music, so she'll sell mixtapes. That was a crazy time.
Speaker 5: Now because I'm the closest thing that you will get to an attorney that.
Speaker 6: Doesn't have a law degree.
Speaker 5: So a little while I'm saying, I'm like, man, okay, we're infringing on these people copy right, They're gonna come atter.
Speaker 6: That sometime.
Speaker 5: She made ten thousand dollars off the first REPD the first day she released me ten thousand dollars. At that point, I'm not fully full time with her yet. Again, my managing style is different than most. When I managed someone, I have a personal relationship with that person, So I was always just observing, making sure that she was.
Speaker 6: Straight, making sure that she was okay.
Speaker 5: Just an advisory role, just someone to talk to on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: As Superstar continued to rise and social media evolved into a twenty four to seven medium, super started using live features to broadcast her life. Super would stay on Periscope and later Instagram Live for hours every day, even going live during her daily chores and most mundane moments.
Speaker 1: Before Instagram Live, before Facebook Live, it was Periscope. So that's when I was on Periscope all the time. Maybe made me a damn hashtay for Paris school scrib I kind of showed everything. I would bring my son in school in the morning, I was on live pick my son up for school. I was on live, and that's how people really was able to see my son book because I literally recorded this guy whole lifely since he'd been born right, so that he'd loved to see what he was thinking about and what he saying when he was two, when he was a street when he was four, right, they seen me go and pick up the shirts. They seen me having a problem with the shirts. I used to ask them, like, what should I pull off a battle dun day? And they would help me, and I'm like, okay, I'm gonna put this out. I was getting my mock ups. I was showing the mock ups. I started paying for more people to help me. I paid for graphic design. It was just like those two years on my fast. But it was so important to me because I actually learned the motion of business from our black bodies.
Speaker 2: As her follower count rose from the thousands to the hundreds of thousands and she grew from a local celebrity to a national star, Super started getting booked for IRL appearances across the country. It was during these travels that Super would find herself with a need, a need that would spark her next entrepreneurial endeavor.
Speaker 1: I was getting booked a lot, so that's when I kind of got into the makeup. I was getting booked so much. It was very hard to find somebody every state to do my makeup. I learned how to do my makeup from being alive so much. And I'm doing my makeup and they watching me mess my face up. They thought it was funny. I thought it was funny. And see, eventually I started getting it right, and I'm like, oh that, Oh, your brothers looks so much better today. I'm like, oh, thank you, Like, oh, you know, you kind look way better to the I'm like, thank you. You know. So I started being okay, well, let me keep being all live to see the process and the progress. Right. I started learning how to my makeup. I stopped booking makeup artists. I started getting my makeup collection up. My followers kept asking, I'm like, well, I'm about to give this company all this attention. I'm just gonna come out with my own stuff.
Speaker 3: The idea for the Crawern case was born.
Speaker 2: Super wanted to do her own makeup, and she wanted to do it her own way, and that went with her own unique color palette, and straight up, the market was bare when it came to the bold and bright color she was looking for it, So she took matters into her own hands and started the arduous process of fabricating a line of makeup that she's desperately needed.
Speaker 1: My first two things can Sprawled You and Highlight. That was it. I feel like I could sell that forever, and my mind designed I was gonna make a good twenty thousand dollars off that, and I was gonna be happy. So that's all I wanted to come out with. And then when they was like, well when you put on your brows or bush reviews, I'm like, oh, that's true, right, So that's why I said, Okay, I'll get a brush. By the time it released, I came out with seven products, the eyebrow jail, the eyeshadow, the cream, the lashes, just stuff that needed to go with the eye. Basically, that's all I came out with. I dropped on June first, twenty seventeen. I made thirty three thousand dollars and that was the most I ever made it one day. And I was so shocked about that because I'm like, damn, I can make money like this for the rest of my life to be happy right now. Twenty seventeen it was so big for me because I never made that much money in one day before. I had to learn how to put money back into the brand too, Like, look, don't go spend that money on the trip. You have to put the money directed back into the bran. That's what I did. So when I made it thirty dollar dollars, I didn't spend it. I just kept it and bought more products. I realized everything you have in stock doesn't have to be the same count. I has to learned. If one paddle is selling better than the other, you should all make it ten thousand of the pallet that's selling better than others. The other palt you probably only five thousand, and you may not brought me twenty five hundred be it's selling to I learned all that in the Crown case. So that was a big thing for me about June first of twenty seventeen, because I realized I'm about to spend all this money on all these products at the same time when I don't need all these projectives. And that was important to me because that's how still how I'm doing it. Like if this is not selling to one and I got a lot of these in our house, it's no need for me to re up on this. I need to put this money into a different product.
Speaker 3: The Crown case was a hit, the product was innovative.
Speaker 2: Super's personality did the marketing for her, and her followers quickly converted into die hard consumers. So as the brand flourished, Super and Russell looked a family to help build out the company's infrastructure.
Speaker 1: My Veri's first high all family, and I only picked the family who I had the big get from another job, and I never picked the fawnily member who didn't have a job, needed a job. Everybody I picked was at certain jobs for years, but I felt like if they kept that job for all the years, still keep mind.
Speaker 5: All management everyone that worked at the facebool family of friends. As we grew, we started taking resumes, and even as we started taking resumes, we interviewed collectively as a whole, as a.
Speaker 6: Team, and never were individuals. It was everyone from the management team.
Speaker 5: You had your different departments where her sister Raven ran the customer service apartment, her aunt team ran the packing department, her cousin Jason ran the warehouse as a whole, her cousin Brandy ran human resources, and I was just the overseer of all of them.
Speaker 2: The grand cases overnight success for Super to learn how to build a company on the fly, once living paycheck to paycheck. Then a year Super found herself at the helm of a multimillion dollar corporation. She needed to plan for the future of the business and also for the future of herself.
Speaker 1: Once the current case started, I definitely started thinking more about the future. And again I was never a future person. I was always I'm going to live in a moment. I'm gonna enjoy it, and that's it. I never saved money, but I did save money. It was only because R was doing it me. That was it. Like that was my lifestyle before the current keys. I just felt like if I die, I can't keep nothing anyway, That's how I felt. But once the current case started, it really grew me up into an entrepreneur, and it grew me up to way more strategized on me. So I felt like, Okay, that this biness is going to be around for plenty of years. I need to do something to make it stay around for plenty of years. So that's when we think, you know, about the future. Like I had to scale my business, I had to hire the right people, I had to fire the right people. I had to do so much, Like I didn't just want to keep doing warehouse work. I even thought about me doing drop shipping. I wanted to get in stores like it was a lot that I had to do by the pettations of the business for me to get further and not just build a social leadia business. I wanted people to know about the current case without knowing me. That was real big for me. This past two years. I tried to detach myself from the currentcas because if something happened to me, I done wanted to reflect on my business. It was no more me just speaking my mind on celebrities nowhere because I didn't know who I was going to run into and lead partnership with. That's when I started about a long time and let me not talk about these people anymore because I may need them what campaign, I may need them to help me with them right, And that's when I started building my HAVST relationships with all different entrepreneurs, celebrities, athletes, all these people. I probably would have talked about twenty and fifteen super but I didn't because I wanted my business to stay intact.
Speaker 2: As the company scaled, its consumer based super social network of DIY makeup artists became an army brand ambassadors in real life. Seeing the opportunity to use other people's platforms to help market her products, super brought in social media strategist Iona Norris to help spearhead the content.
Speaker 4: We sent them a huge box of products. They got everything. No brand has ever just sent them everything in their rerehouse. So they would get this huge box and they would push videos and lives for us and we would just use their comment saying on our Instagram sitters in now, TIKSI or five years ago right now. I like to be relatable to a brand, Like when I see Super Bowl'm like, okay, I've been through that. I could do that, And you get to know the brand.
Speaker 1: It's very open and.
Speaker 4: No other brand is really open. She's relatable. We don't get to know too many brands behind the scenes, very transparent.
Speaker 1: So that's what draws me to the brand.
Speaker 4: And she's herself. You know, she could be herself and you know be a millionaire business owner and that's why people gravitates to the brand. And then on top of that, I mean it's catchy, the crawn.
Speaker 1: You get to have fun.
Speaker 4: Her sogn is coloring out southe the lines. That's always fun.
Speaker 2: With an army of micro influencers behind the brand. It wasn't long until the Crayon case started picking up national attention. As the orders continued to roll in, it was obvious that this was bigger than burnt CDs, T shirts or any of Super's previous endeavors. In no time, the Krayon case was doing numbers like ninety seven no limit.
Speaker 5: Those numbers were undeniable. So when I told you, for the first six months, I was like, it's her thing. Let's see the BLOGO. I think it was March twenty eighteen. That's when I really opened my eyes. I looked at the numbers on one hundred the numbers, It is dumb numbers. So I managed my friend MATC Phipps a no limit and those numbers were dumb. For ninety eight nineteen ninety eight things that they did there to do what she was doing and for it to be one hundred percent e commerce, it was crazy numbers because the stuff was just flying up the shelves, flying up the shelves, We're averaging eight hundred thousand a month averaging that was just ridiculous.
Speaker 6: And so yeah, I was like, yeah, we may be on or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the team was firing on all cylinders, and it all came to a head. On their twenty nineteen Cyber Monday launch, the crayon case did one million dollars sales in just ninety minutes.
Speaker 6: It was ridiculous.
Speaker 5: It was surreal because again, like I said, we had to make it eight hundred nine hundred thousand a month, but to make it in ninety minutes, it was like crazy, you know, But I don't know super to ya. I was pissed because we sold out, because I'm like, damn, we could have made two million, So.
Speaker 6: I'm always looking at numbers, you know.
Speaker 5: It was a very unusual but pleasing feeling to see that accomplishment and then only see at that time we made it that Monday, and then the following tax my cell.
Speaker 6: At following lunch we made another million dollars and I think it.
Speaker 5: Was sixty minutes, and then I followed cyber Money we made another one point three in sixty minutes. So it started becoming a regular feed, and I'm like, you know, this is some unusual stuff that we're doing, so let's not get used to it.
Speaker 6: But it was gratifying.
Speaker 2: After back to back multimillion dollars. Cyber Monday launches the Crait cases. Explosive growth and market share was undeniable. But just as the business achieved maturity, the COVID nineteen pandemic hit and brought the world to a hull.
Speaker 1: Once COVID hit, people just like, yeah, I'm just going to take on unemployment and take the loans and I'm not going to come back to work. And I understood I would have done the same thing if I was employee. Right the most employees I had was probably nineteen, and that was s lot to pay nineteen people every week. Now I think we have five. As COVID was passing by, I kept it in mind too, all right, I don't need all his employ All these employees is not needed. These employees is here right now. They've been getting a job done for the whole COVID period. So I'm just going to keep these employees and get them raises and be found with them. I learned that, and I cut back on payroll. I coupled on a lot of things, and I started seeing what my money was going for them.
Speaker 3: But a bright spot of merged during the pandemic.
Speaker 2: A feature on Oprah's Favorite Things propelled the Crown case even further, putting a national brand.
Speaker 3: On a global stage.
Speaker 2: However, it also brought some unwanted attention in the form of a cease and desist from Crayola. The iconic crayon maker claimed that super had infringed on their copyright. Super quickly and amicably settled the matter, adjusting her branding and marks and making sure to tread more lightly in the future.
Speaker 5: We have issues with Criola as far as they say we infringed on their trademark. I actually learned some things from that, and then later on they infringed upon our trademark, and that early experience with us infringing.
Speaker 6: On theirs prepared me to defend us against them.
Speaker 5: We had another situation was to Farrow when they didn't infringe on our trade mode, but they infringe on our trade address.
Speaker 6: So those things prepared me for anything that came out way.
Speaker 5: As far as that's concerned as people trying to attack our style and do things the way we do it, it.
Speaker 6: Won't stop them.
Speaker 5: Won't stop people because that's the compliment I see is if people try to immolate what you're doing, it's a compliment to your success.
Speaker 2: As other companies started to release similar products, and the brand grappled with growing up with their consumers while still appealing to younger, newer ones. Super In the team pushed themselves to keep innovating. She also started to hone in on a new release strategy that would continue to differentiate the crayon case in the market.
Speaker 5: But I do constantly learn and evolve with the time. If you don't evolve with the time, you will get stuck and possibly fail. You have to understand what we started. It was six years ago. Those people that were enamored with us at that age are six years older. They have different interests. As they grow and have different interests, we have to evolve with them to make sure that we keep them keep their palette interested in our brand. And then we also have to see those that's coming behind them. Their interest is going to be different from theirs, but we have to make ourselves attractive to their palate. So you're constantly evolving as a business to stay relevant in every realm and in every.
Speaker 6: Demographic, so you can survive.
Speaker 5: Because the younger demographic has more disposable income, the older demographic has a larger income that may not be as disposable, but you still want to be able to be attractive enough to them to they have extra, they have something to spend, they want to spend it with you.
Speaker 1: Well, oh you know, of course you pay attention to other calculated brains. But I would notice I started payition too, and I didn't think I would. Is how long it's taken to drop from the new right, because I never had a strategy for dropping stuff. I have an idea, I tell my supply it, I tell my graphic designer it get made. Then I just wait for it. Right, But I never had a strategic way of dropping new product. So I started watching other brands. I start to watching the most popular brands do that I open They come out with a product, damn there every three months, and I ain't doing that because then when you come out with a product so much so fast, it kind of drawing away from the last product you dropped. Right, That's like I already dropping the CD. Didn't drop another one. But I didn't even get the enjoyed person.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That's what I had to learn. So I'm like, Okay, y'all dropping a lot of products, but that don't mean I know how you're doing the business too. But then I found a brand that dropped literally once a year, and I'm like, Okay, that makes more sense for me because that product will be talking about for a long time once the YouTube videos get made and they start doing reviews, once the reals started coming out, they had so much time to love and fall in love with the product.
Speaker 2: Soon, a huge opportunity presented itself when Walmart asked to carry the line. The IRL visibility and large upfront order appeared to be very enticing. However, Super would soon learn how selling wholesale would challenge her margins and supply chain, as well as the expectation that she would show her the market costs within their marketplace.
Speaker 1: Once I stepped into stores, a lot of things changed. I felt like that was a bad move and I should have waited, probably like a few more years, because I didn't realize me going into Walmart, I have to stock Walmart and I have to stock my warehouse, right, And I don't think I was too ready for that because Walmart was very neat, very needy, like if they need ten thousand pallets on Thursday, and they may need ten thousand pallets next Thursday too, and the production time take at least forty days, right, So I'm like, okay, so I got to keep up with Walmart inventory and mins, and I don't think I was ready for that.
Speaker 2: The Walmart deal didn't go the way Super expected it, and she realized that she still had much to learn.
Speaker 1: It just don't make sense, especially if I'm doing so well on e commerce. It don't make sense to go and say story the stores me, that's more than we need them. I want to currank Instay way way bigger than Instagram, way big in Facebook, way big in Twitter. I wanted to be seen by people who's not even on social media. So official Crown Case is pulling things out the stores. It don't make sense. When you go in the store, you gotta do all the marketing yourself. They're not help you remarking at all. Gotta pay for everything you want in there. Like if I sell wipes and all my wife's next to mes Gina, I gotta pay for that, you know, so everything is very costly. It cost so much to upkeep. The best thing would have been also, you know, which is the makeup store? People going there for a makeup Walmart people don't really be thinking about cosmetics. You know, they're going there for the tissue, a little peroxide, you know, like maybe a little bit charger, and it's it. You know, it's not really them going there like let me get some make up. Aout walking The best move probably would have been also, even though would have been the same problems, but at least it would have been in the auto because they're actually going in there for a makeup, right. I just want Crown Case to be like Navelings, to be like Revlong, just to be like the makeup brains have been around for years and it made the impact in cosmetic world. I wanted the current case to be a saying.
Speaker 2: As the Crown Case looks to the future, the team is hyper focused on learning more about the business, continuing to innovate their product line, and also giving back to their community.
Speaker 1: I still need to learn about business funding, you know. I need to learn about is that a great move of business? Is that needed? I'm thinking about actually taking classes for it to find out about business funding. I just want to know just the right move to teake because I don't want to have to have a bad year in business and then I just getting flushed out, you know, So I'm trying to learn this.
Speaker 6: Near future is to offer our new mood lines.
Speaker 5: We're known for colors and not being afraid to color outside lines, but we also, like I just said, know that our demographic is getting older. They're going to work there in their careers now, so they can't wear blue eyeliner and blue lipsticks. So we have to offer and meet them or they are because we're going to offer new collections and starting this fall as well as we're starting an HBCU collection to pay homage to the HBCUs and give the student just to feel that we support.
Speaker 6: Them and that we meet them where they are.
Speaker 4: We are trying to reach a different audience. So everything that we have right now is very colorful. So we're going to be dropping a nude collection that will cater to different makeup artists, a lot of makeup artists who make up for weddings and things like that, and then we think that they're maybe scared to purchase, you know, a big box of crayons and things that are colorful. So we're catering to the everyday woman or guy. So that's our goal to get a new audience. People are scared, they're saying like, Oh, my skin is mature, so I can't really wear that product. So we're catering to them. We take polls on Instagram and see what they want. As a realists Facebook and we listen to our audience and we get the job.
Speaker 2: Having been through the ups and downs of entrepreneurship, Russell and Super are happy to reflect on their own experiences and share advice for young creatives looking to start their own businesses.
Speaker 5: My advice would be to trust yourself. Block out all that outside chatter, and you're going to get so much of it.
Speaker 6: Some of it's going to be good.
Speaker 1: Some of it.
Speaker 5: You have to really stay grounded. You're going to have some failures across the road, You're gonna have some tribulations. Do not let that discoverage you, let that strippen you, and keep going, keep pushing and learn as much as you can. Learn as much as you can, and don't take no class.
Speaker 1: But I think it's very important to learn as much as you can about entrepreneurship, head to the price points, just all types of things that you didn't think was important in business. So if I want took business classes and I would went to school, or maybe if I would have just hit a sension more we can entrepreneurship. I probably would have flourished way more in business. I just learned a lot from trial and error. The current CASS is not my first business. I had many businesses before the current case and failed tremendously. So you still got to keep working. You still got to do more. You still got to write your owns and find out what you could do better. And that's what I had to do as well. So I feel like people rush into the entrepreneurship for money and not for the passion. I feel like the currankings was my biggest passion. I had a lot of business, but I know the currentness was my paston the crnkings was the easy marketing for me because I actually get up and do my wake up you know, I actually fall in love with product. It's not a passion for you. It's not going to be because when it's a passion for you, spend so much time money. Everything is on YouTube, and that's why I mean by researching, take a few months out before you actually put all your money into it and learn this first so you can know what's going to happen. I think if I would have done that first, Oh man, I'll be like Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Humility.
Speaker 2: Aside within the conversation of self made entrepreneurs, Super is certainly a go contender. Her magnetic persona and willingness to put herself out there has engendered a cult like following, with Fiz not just interested in her personality, but invested in her success. By giving her audience a front row seat to the minutia of her everyday life, She's inspired them to see her as a relatable human being, not just as a transactional marketer. And when the Crayon Case launched and Super delivered a high quality product to an underserved audience, her fans were eager to open up their wallets and support. With the addition of Russell to help legitimize and organize the business, along with Iona's innovative approach to merchandising, Super managed to put all the right pieces in place and now together they've made the Crayon Case a global brand by maintaining their authenticity and always coloring outside the lines for idea generation. I'm Noah Callahan Bever. Thanks for listening to the All Angles podcast presented by will Packer Media. If you've enjoyed this episode, Please don't hesitate to like, comment DM, or tell a friend to tell a friend about Idea Generation and the All Angles Podcast. We can't do any of this without your help, and honestly, your support means everything. We do this for you, and we can't do it without you. This episode was brought to you by Will Packer. Executive produced by John Valachick and Helena Os. Original music by Valentine Fritz, edit and sound mixed by Nonsensible Production, and hosted by me Idea Generation founder Noah Callahan Beveret Idea Generations.
Speaker 3: All Angles is a Will Packer Media podcast