Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott and this is Hot for Suit.
Speaker 2: All right, you were in Las Vegas for Formula one.
Speaker 1: For the Grand Prix. It's the year two of the Las Vegas Grand Prix and it's quite cold, so if you're coming, bring your coats.
Speaker 3: And your hats and your gloves. But as as.
Speaker 2: Such, we have a special interview with an actual race car driver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have Alexander Rossi, who is phenomenal. He of course has driven nine seasons in Indy Car. He won the Indy five hundred in twenty sixteen. He had five starts in F one and was the first.
Speaker 3: I think he was the.
Speaker 1: Youngest guy to win the Indy five hundred since nineteen twenty eight. I mean, he's so, he's very accomplished. He's also got a podcast about racing that's pretty good, and yeah, he's fascinating. So I get the real scoop from him on the insider level of F one, Vegas and racing and.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say his podcast is phenomenal. As a guy who listens to podcasts all the time, I can say that. Also, I want to point out you did that yourself because I was, I'm like working double duty around here, and on my day job.
Speaker 3: He has two jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so anyway, I'm looking forward to that. But before we get to that, we have to talk about the most ridiculous thing that I have ever seen in my entire life in the auto industry.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 5: I can't think.
Speaker 2: I've been racking my brain to think of any bigger marketing fiasco, and I can't. Jaguar has like what, I don't even understand what it is. Jaguar has ended current production of their vehicles and they're now rebranding, or at least they're rebranding the company, and it's so.
Speaker 5: Wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, okay, we know that we knew that Jaguar is not making any new cars. We know that they had said in twenty twenty one they're only going to make evs. They're like not even making money on any of the cars that they're currently selling. They're not developing any new ones, like I said, and so yes, so on the nineteenth, earlier this week, they announced what is going to be their rebrand, which is supposed to be this launch of them as a completely new brand and company into the future. I'm stutterings it was so far off of anything that Jaguar meant or had stood for or represented to people in all of the past years of itsy. I'm sure by now all of our readers have seen this. They deleted everything on their Instagram account. They've put up two new posts, well now three.
Speaker 2: I just there's a third one. Now I've just heard that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a video that basically looks like a Kohle's ad or sort of you know, something from two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Maybe it has nothing to do with cars. It was compared to Teletubbies. It's yeah, people, it's along the lines of BMW's XM marketing campaign, remember that, Yeah, but somehow far worse.
Speaker 1: You know, it's getting a lot of blowback for being woke, but just like performatively and patronizingly woke.
Speaker 3: So there's that.
Speaker 1: You should if you're listening and you haven't, please go watch it and comment along with the twenty six thousand other people who have commented on it. Then the next picture they put up on Instagram was like a rear shot of this car, this concept car that they're going to announce in Miami on December second, And that photo has been likened to an air conditioner looking like an air conditioner basically, So it just feels.
Speaker 5: Could be a printer.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking maybe a printer.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, it certainly seems like this is a case of when marketing is so far off of reality and what the grass roots world of people who buy cars wants. It's really shocking and honestly kind of sad. Now there are some who have suggested, hey, Jaguar wasn't doing great anyway, they really need to just burn everything to the ground, and this is how you have a proper relaunch. You just destroy everything and then start again. But you know, I would just say it takes The only thing that you can't buy is time and heritage. You know, you build heritage over time, and they've completely destroyed the one asset that they can't actually buy or make. You either have it or you don't. So I do not have high hopes for whatever this concept that we're going to be shown is in December. Oh and another thing, their logo, Now, Matt, you mentioned earlier that you can be very pedantic when it comes to certain things, and this logo they've gotten rid of the leaper the jag, the leaping jag. They have come up with some sort of like very softly san serif type under lowercase Jaguar, but the G and the U are capital so it's basically like a capital goo in the middle of the word Jaguar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, the leaper so in the in the new Instagram post, and I would just say to those people listening, you haven't seen it, you must go on Instagram and look at their first marketing clip, and then keep in mind that they very likely paid someone to do this campaign for them, So they have paid money for something.
Speaker 5: You just won't believe it.
Speaker 1: How bad what they paid.
Speaker 2: I will say in the third post, they've got what looks like around the around the bottom of the door I'm gonna say, by the front wheel, well sort of a shot of I guess what must be the concept car.
Speaker 5: And they do have the leaper.
Speaker 2: Back on on a panel that I guess a panel sort of opens up and a camera comes out.
Speaker 5: It's I don't know.
Speaker 2: The only thing I can say is you have to see it for yourself. Seventeen million followers on Instagram, so a lot of people have seen it, and I think you're not far off. Yeah, thirty right now, thirty one thousand comments about how bad it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if they're if the full goal of marketing is to get people to talk about your brand, they've really hit it out of the park because this is everywhere, you know.
Speaker 3: People are writing about it.
Speaker 1: I actually knew the rebrand was coming, but chose not to cover it because it's just they didn't even have a car to show.
Speaker 3: Our plan is to cover the car.
Speaker 1: When it comes out in December, in a few weeks. But this is just beyond surprising, you know. It To me, it feels panicky, you know, And I understand that right now in the automotive market, feels like a lot of brands are panicking because there's a sort of schizophrenia where they don't know if they should hold on to the combustion side of things or just make this huge leap into the new EV world. And it seems like Jaguar has decided they're going to make this huge leap no pun intended with the Leafer into the new EV world, and they're betting.
Speaker 3: They really are betting it all.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of breathtaking, but I don't know if it's in a good way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: The other thing I want to talk about is you have a piece out of your column on the new Panamer or a new hybrid version, and I wonder, first of all, what role the Panamera plays now in the in the Porsche model offering, because they do have the Taikon. If you're looking for a four door, a'll be it electric, right and everybody otherwise is buying SUVs, so Macan and Cayenne. Is there really are there really a lot of sales still the Panamera.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they're they're pretty low and they're down. And I really think when the Taiekan debuted in twenty nineteen, it really like all of the assets and resources that were used that had been used on the Panamera promotion and sales and everything, it felt like it was all switched to Taikan because of course, this was the future, this was the electric vehicle of you know, that we all wanted and needed, and it really really did feel like Panamara was going away that this you know, they weren't going to renew it. But now it's so interesting because Taikan aftermarket values are really getting slaughtered right now. EV sales obviously are down in general, especially in China, and I don't. I'm not making any great statement about whether you know, I think Panamara sales are going up or not going up. I'm just saying that for this particular hybrid car, it was fabulous. It's also very expensive, but it was like even I had kind of forgotten about the Panamera and just assumed it would be let go.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is I had forgotten how great a car it is. And I'm not even necessarily a sedan type of person, but it was really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a couple of sedans, true, Yeah, no, I thought I was starting to forget about it as well. I don't think about the Panama very much. I see some more aged Panamaras on the road, but this new one looks very nice, especially I guess. I guess yours is the gray one that I'm looking at in your piece, and.
Speaker 3: Some people might call it purple.
Speaker 2: But a quarter of a million dollars.
Speaker 1: I know. Well, this goes back to our earlier conversation about how expensive the Mercedes Sedan was, you know, like it's some of these like executive style sedans. I'm still surprised, you know. And yes, I did read the email calling me a snob and saying, you know, I could never afford these anyway, so I don't get to comment on them.
Speaker 5: That wasn't very nice. I didn't think that was very nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's you know, honestly, my thought is it's it's hardly the worst thing I've been called, and it's neither the first nor the last time I've been called a snob. So if having high standards earns me that badge, that is a label I'm proud to wear. But all that said, it's expensive. It's a lot of money. You get a lot for it, but it's so expensive.
Speaker 2: I mean everything's expensive, but that just seems exorbitant, two hundred and fifty thousand dollars whatever. I guess as I age, it's hard for me to keep up with prices and understand them. I was driving this week a truck, and it'll be maybe a boring thing to talk about for people listening to this podcast because it's just an electric truck. It was the GMC Sierra Denali ev It's their sort of luxurious version of the Sierra truck. I absolutely loved it. I have to say I loved the driving experience because it has you know, so much power and instant torque as all you know evs do. I loved the functionality of it. The fronk is very useful on a pickup truck, especially because if you put stuff in a pickup bed, it slides all over the place. So it's nice to have a smaller, more compact storage space. But the pickup bed is innovative. It's got like the Bowlinger had and I think maybe Arrivian has this too. You pass through so you can put down the middle of the pickup truck and put you know, if you're carrying eleven foot two by fours, you've got space for it. I don't often carry eleven foot two by fours, but it's cool, yes, And it's also like a pickup truck these days is such a great family car.
Speaker 5: It's very roomy.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's crazy for you to think that. Like, I know, we talked about that last week. I makes sense to me. I mean I don't have kids.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I have enough room for the kids to the car. Seats are such a pain to put in the vehicle. There's not a problem in this vehicle. Plus I can put stuff in the bed or the front if I need to, and I normally am a I don't like giant screens. This thing has probably the biggest screen I've ever seen myself in a car that I've been in. But it's so functional, I mean, don't even miss physical buttons like I think the General Motors has the infertainment system down so well. I would put it up against the Mercedes Benz system any day, and I think it works fantastically. And by the way, this is the first time I've gotten in a vehicle in the last few years that doesn't have car Play, not just doesn't have a wireless connection to car Play, but doesn't have Apple car Play at all. And I do not miss it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I would either, to be.
Speaker 5: Honest, don't miss it.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I don't think I would miss it. It's all what's the part of that truck.
Speaker 2: So that's that's why I was That's why I brought it up. It's one hundred thousand dollars as I tested, so for you know, that's that's to me, that's very expensive.
Speaker 5: And as a pickup truck, I think also that's.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could get a Raptor R with the big V eight for one hundred grand, but I guess prices are just getting higher. And okay, this is the first edition. They call it Edition one, and it is the Denali, which is kind of ridiculous, Like it has twenty four inch wheels and wow, I mean, I guess that looks cool, But I want eighteen inch wheels, you know, on a truck. I want tire wall. I want you know, absorption. But of the bumps and it rattles in the One big complaint I have is that it rattles and squeaks on the inside because the headline isn't perfectly attached. I think maybe that's because this is like one of the first ones and it's a press vehicle. But I've noticed that in a lot of big truck EV trucks you hear so much of the interior noise.
Speaker 1: This is my problem with a lot of evs and it gets me, you know, really attacked online for saying it.
Speaker 3: But they're not well made.
Speaker 1: And I am not nobody, nobody paying one hundred thousand dollars should be faced with a product that isn't well made.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't.
Speaker 1: That's you don't get a pass just because you're out there saving the world in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I hope that this is a one off issue with this specific vehicle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it is.
Speaker 2: And I just I love it as a family car, and this is the first time I can really imagine maybe buying an EV for us.
Speaker 4: Cool. Wow.
Speaker 3: And you know, have you charged it yet?
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's the other thing. It's got like a two hundred kilowatt hour battery, and so I don't charge it at home because my wife won't let me in the garage.
Speaker 5: She owns the garage now.
Speaker 2: And so I have this I park at work here, you know, and I'm here eight to twelve hours a day, and I have them plug it in, but it's just they just plug it in like to the normal plug.
Speaker 3: Like a toaster.
Speaker 2: It took two full work days and I'm working double shifts here, so it took two days of like ten hours a day to charge it from I got it down to like twenty five percent back up to ninety.
Speaker 1: This is the this is the struggle. And I'm in Vegas right now and it's front of mine because I drove from Los Angeles to Vegas. That's a three and a half to four hour drive, and you really can't make it in one charge. So say you were going to drive this truck from LA to Vegas, which should be a three and a half hour drive, are you gonna spend two nights? Well, you charge the truck.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean it really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it would be a problem with another electric car, I think because this one is the Denali and it's the addition one and it's the biggest and best that they make, and it's like I think they call it the Max battery pack or whatever. It has four hundred and sixty miles of range, so it's okay, massively range.
Speaker 3: Ye, that would make it to Vegas in theory. Yeah, you're perfect driving conditions.
Speaker 2: No, I would have it on my pedal on the floor the whole time because it's so fat and by the way, it's so big and heavy that it's scary that it goes that fast, like when you really mash it, it's kind of hard to keep the wheel straight.
Speaker 5: It's it's yeah, I.
Speaker 1: That Infinity QX eighty that we both had felt so slow, and it's because we're now in these we're in similar sized evs, like the cyber truck, the hummer, this thing. They are so crazy fast that when you get into something the exact same size with a combustion engine, it just feels so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. But did you like the Infinity QX eighty because I.
Speaker 1: Found it to be extremely performative in its luxury. Yeah, and you can read all about it in my review. But I had a hard I had a hard time finding, you know, really great aspects about it.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I just like how big and powerful it looks. Powerful, it looks well, it's got a three and a half liter V six.
Speaker 5: It's like, give me a breath.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that I didn't know it felt so underpowered to me driving it.
Speaker 5: No, it is, it is.
Speaker 2: I think Infinity really needs to do something about that asap, but.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they won't.
Speaker 2: All right, let's focus in on power and speed and racing since you are in Las Vegas at the Grand Prix and listening to your interview with IndyCar driver Alex Rossi.
Speaker 1: Alex, I'm just going to start this by reading a light listing of your accomplishments.
Speaker 3: I need you to tell.
Speaker 1: Me if I get anything wrong, But you know, we're just going to hit the high notes. We're not going to include all of your BMW World domination, but I really want people to understand. You know, this long career that you've had, you are an American racing driver. You've spent I think it's nine seasons in the IndyCar Series with thirty career podium finishes, including eight victories.
Speaker 3: Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: When you were seventeen, you moved to Europe to pursue dreams of Formula one and at the time, we're the youngest driver to hold an F one super license. You made five F one Grand Prix starts for Manor Racing, joining the very limited list of Americans who have ever started an F one race. And then, of course, in twenty sixteen, what we all know and love about you is that you won the one hundredth running of the Indy five hundred, and I think you were the first American rookie to win that race since something like nineteen twenty eight. Is that sounding correct it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So far, good good.
Speaker 1: More recently, you it's been announced that you will be competing next year in the IndyCar Series for Ed Carpenter's operation, and we'll be driving the number twenty one Chevrolet co driving with Christian Rasmussen, and you also host co host a great podcast on Sirius XM called Off Track with Hinch and ROSSI that's with your bff, James Hinchcliff. I have to admit I was listening to a few episodes in preparation for this conversation, and the most stunny thing you said was that when you recently officiated a wedding in Kentucky, in the hours leading up to the wedding, that was the most nervous you have ever been. Now that is true, Okay, so in light of all of these racing victories, let's talk about those nerves, because I was so surprised.
Speaker 3: To hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, first of all, thank you for doing the research. That's very kind. Sometimes I talk to people and they're like, oh, so, what is it that you do again, It's like, okay, cool, but no, I mean I've been raised since I was ten, so I feel like, as much as this is, it's an amazing job, and it's an amazing career, and it's amazing thing that I get to do kind of six months out of the year. Terms of driving race cars, it becomes it becomes a job. You know, it's it's a very performance and results driven sport, and you're really not guaranteed anything, so there's a lot of stress and pressures that go along with that. But ultimately, at the end of the day, it's it's it's just your it's a career. Right. Whereas for me, right, for me officiating someone's wedding for the first time, I don't know, like I felt a lot of obligation and responsibility considering like it's going to be in their wedding video for the rest of their life. And they wanted it to be like a little comical, which I'm not necessarily known for comedy, and they wanted some like traditional elements in it as well. So I spent a lot of time, like I'm probably four months in terms of like outlining it and thinking about how I wanted this to go and all this sort of thing. They were like, just don't make it more than ten minutes. So that was the only that was the only thing that I had, and so I was like okay, and like I was ready and like I had done the you know, the the rehearsing if you will, because you don't want to just be reading from a book all the time and trying to get the cadence right and all this sort of thing. But then all of that preparation kind of amounted to that morning and it was like, oh my god, it's actually going to happen, like, don't screw it up. And it wasn't. I didn't care, Like I didn't care that I was delivering a speech in front of eighty people. Was more. I just wanted it to be good for them and their family. And I decided at the end of that that I would never do it again because it was by far the most stressed I think I've been in my life. So, yeah, that's all true.
Speaker 3: But did you get ordained to do this job?
Speaker 4: I did, Like the the Internet.
Speaker 1: I paid.
Speaker 4: I paid twenty nine dollars. Yeah, filled out like four questions. It took five minutes, and it just yeah, it raised a lot more questions about the whole the whole institute of marriage in my mind. We're not going to talk about that today.
Speaker 1: Fine, that's fine, Fine, I mean I just I just love of, you know, seeing the softer side of this, you know pro driver that actually says no, I was really nervous in this, in this completely unknown Arena, sure, for sure, So thanks for sharing. You know, I really obviously we're taping this ahead of the Formula one in race in Vegas, and I definitely want to focus on F one, if you're okay with that, you know, I know, obviously in your own podcast, you guys talk about all different rates, you know, NASCAR, Indie, Formula One, and you know, I kind of just am curious to hear your thoughts on where racing is in America right now, just in the cultural landscape, and you know, is F one racing different from NASCAR, from Indy or is racing racing in the US, And you know, we're all this is all one thing that we're in together, and it's different than it was twenty years ago. What's your sense?
Speaker 4: So that's a very good question and one I think everyone in the space is trying to figure out. So if you had asked me that question, I don't know, nine years ago, eight years ago, when I was, when I was an American trying to get into F one and was on the cusp of it for quite a few years and trying to get all the stars aligned to make that happen, you know, I would have been one that said, you know, car culture is changing kids these days at that time, you know, in twenty fifteen, that's not kids today today. But from that kind of point all the way till present day. You know, you talk to a lot of these kids and it's like they're not as interested in getting their driver's license right at sixteen as I was and my friends were. There's been a lot of transportation evolutions in the sense that they don't necessarily have to have their license to get from point A to point B. And you know, certainly the environmental impact and the ideology of what cars do to the environment that has changed amongst younger kids. So I would have said that, yeah, the car culture is kind of twenty eight years old enough, and ultimately it's just getting older and it's not the new blood and interest into cars isn't really there. I think if you fast forward to present day and you look at motorsports specifically, I think what Formula One was able to do that not a lot of other series have done through the aid of Drive to Survive and Netflix, is they created some form of kind of sex appeal and relatability to motorsports. You know, it's very easy to watch, you know, We're in football season right now. It's very easy to watch a football game and watch what Joe Burrow does and realize that's very, very challenging. You can go pick up a football and be like, I couldn't do that. Yeah, you can't watch a race, whether it's NASCAR, IndyCar, Apple One or whatever and get into that car and realize what the people that you're watching or doing is very challenging. You know, there's these people it's like, oh, I have a Corvette and I've driven one hundred and seventy miles an hour before, and I do all these things and it's like, how hard can it be? And that's that's an understandable reaction, because how on earth are they supposed to know? But I think what what Drive to Survive did, especially in the US market, is it created this interest around the sport and the interests in the human element of it, the politics of it, the business side of racing, which us as race car drivers hate, but ultimately it's it is it is a business, and so I think that really generated this kind of pop culture opinion of what Formula one is. Now are these fans fans that actually love racing and love the sport and love cars. Maybe not, but certainly some of them are now introduced to the sport. And I would say especially driving for Aeron McLaren in the past two years, so the McLaren F one side in IndyCar, the amount of people that came to IndyCar races because they were introduced to drive to survive in Formula one was like exponential. Like I would say sixty percent of the young fans that came to us wearing papaya or whatever were introduced to us via Formula one. And so in a lot of respects, even though it's our biggest competition in terms of US competing against them in the US market to get eyeballs and that sort of thing, it's also a completely different championship, Like we appeal to a different demographic and I think now demographics, I think Formula one is marketed as a more elite event. It's it is harder to get access, the ticket prices are much higher, the venues are more global when you think even if you look at US cities like their destination cities Las Vegas, Miami, maybe not Austin, but from a tech side, it is whereas IndyCar, you know, we go to right IndyCar, we go to like outside of Des Moines, Iowa, and outside of Columbus, Ohio, just to give some examples, like yes, we go to Long Beach, we go to Tampa, we go to Toronto. But like a lot of our races are kind of in the Midwest, and so what we have to offer that maybe we don't have a from a beautification standpoint is you have the access to the drivers, to the teams, to the cars at a much more cost effective price. And ultimately it's a different experience. You know, IndyCar really markets to bring your family out come camping experience, a three day event. Formula one is if you have the means or your company bought a suite like come do this and rub shoulders with celebrities and that sort of thing. So it's to each their own right. So there's pros and cons to both, But I think what we've seen is IndyCar to kind of sum up your original question is we've definitely seen a benefit of Formula one's rise popularity, and for me, it's given me a little bit of faith that this next generation of people are going to become car people and do like cars. And do like seeing things go fast, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good question or point, and you know, it kind of brings up the question to me you mentioned, you know, maybe some of these people coming to races really aren't car people are into cars, are really actually into racing at all. And I wonder if that's even a bad thing, Like is it even that people are going to be in Vegas mostly to be seen, to see and be seen, and like, honestly the race feels like an afterthought for you know, half the people here.
Speaker 3: Is that wrong?
Speaker 4: I don't think so at all. I mean, that's why, that's why Indy Car. You know, quite a few of our events we have big concerts with big music lineup because we're trying. If you let's say, you know, you have attendance of one hundred thousand people right in twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four, and you bring post Malone in twenty twenty five and forty thousand people come for post Malone, If twenty percent of those people come back for the race, and they're like, oh my god, that was actually pretty cool. Like I came for the concert to stay for the race. I like the race. That that was a success, right. It's why for the Indie it's fine. For the Indy five hundred, we have one of the largest EDM festivals inside of Turn three during the race at the ND five hundred, those seventy thousand people that are there are there for one thing and one thing only. But if at one point when they reach their late twenties, early thirties or whatever, and they're not going to go to an DM festival anymore and they want to bring their significant other, their kids or whatever, They're going to be like, hey, I came to this as a kid or a young adult, I'm now going to bring my family back to the five hundred. And then the cycle repeats is their kid gets older and everything. So that's what those things are trying to accomplish. You know, I don't think it's a bad thing at all.
Speaker 1: That makes perfect sense. I mean, do you you've been on both sides, do you think that, like internally, the business culture and Indie needs to be the same as internally what the business culture at F one is today. I mean, I know there's discussions about Indie needs to modernize whatever that means.
Speaker 3: What's your take having seen.
Speaker 4: Both I don't know that the business culture needs to change, and I don't know that it will. From a standpoint of if you look at the budgets of an Indiecar team versus an F one team, an F one team is ten x even with the salary caps and or the budget caps that exist. And so when you have that large of a spend and you have manufacturers involved, there's always going to be this motivation that comes from the team principles and the series and everything to keep boards happy. Right, Ultimately, IndyCar doesn't really have board members that they need to appease, and they don't have end of your budget reviews. They need to hit like a lot. The majority of the team owners in IndyCar were previous racers, right. They are doing this because they're passionate about the sport. They love the sport. If they can make money doing it cool. They're not doing it to make money. They've all they've already made their money and other ways of life, right. So, I think where Indiycar really needs to improve is not really so much on you know, the overall way that the sport works from the business side, but from a marketing perspective, you know, we really fall short of everything outside of the Indy five hundred, and that's understandable. You know, the Indy five hundred is the largest motorsport race on Earth. It's what ultimately keeps our series alive. The problem is when you mentioned IndyCar to someone, even if they know what it is, they don't know that we have sixteen other races, right, and so that that is where our biggest downfall is because people think the Indy five hundred. They know it's Memorial Day, it's got date equity, there's a lot of tradition that goes into that, but then they have no idea what we do before after that. And I think that's where we really need to work on growing our fan base in our audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, I know you your path started with karting. Does America have a clear path for young kids toward Indie. I mean, I guess it does even more than Formula one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to get to have one from the States is virtually impossible. I mean, that's why that's why I moved over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Logan Sergeant, who is the most recent guy. You know, he was over there for almost the better part of a decade to get to Formula one, you have to kind of embrace and immerse yourself into the European culture. It's just the way that Americans are viewed over there and ultimately as a European support right, So you can't you can't commute from the States and think you're going to be as effective as someone that lives there. Indy Card does a very good job of having what's called the Road to Indy and it's ultimately a scholarship based ladder system that kind of gets kids into their first car championship out of go karts, and the winner of that, you know, gets a scholarship to go to the next level, and then the next level, and then eventually if they win what's called Indie Next, which is like the college football, then the college football, the SEC to the NFL, they get I think it's one and a half million dollars to take to a team to go IndyCar racing. So an Indiecar team has a lot of incentive for that because a they're getting a talent of the future, but also they're getting some financial help to come with it. So IndyCar does a really good job of that. The problem is that you know, there's more than one good guy every single year, right, and so it creates, just like an all professional sports, there's this really big funnel effect that starts to happen towards the top, and it's hard to break through. But that's just that's the name of the game. If you look at if you look at professional racing drivers including IMSA World Internet Championship, Formula One, NASCAR IndyCar, there's maybe two hundred, right, whereas if you look at how many players are in the NFL, it's three thousand. So it's a very big difference.
Speaker 1: Now, would would a similar sort of feeder school system? Could that ever exist in the US for Formula one in your opinion similar to what you just described for Indy.
Speaker 4: No, because they would never they, being the European teams and owners and scouts and whatever, would never give the credit to you beating other Americans on American tracks. It doesn't matter if they let's say we take Formula two cars, it's the same machinery, put it in America, do a sixteen race calendar against other Americans. They'd be like, cool, who have you beaten over here? One don't care. So that's why it's very hard to transition.
Speaker 1: To me, sounds off extremely elite and elitist, but also it kind of makes sense. That's where the series originated. I understand that mentality, of course. I think a question that we often think about is how important is it for an American driver to break into and really see some podium time in Formula one, like for the sport to excel in the US. Is that a false bottomy to you?
Speaker 4: I don't think it is, because for the longest time I was a firm believer of the fact that if there was an American representation, regardless of the results, that because the number one nation that all of these manufacturers sell cars in minus Alpine is the United States. Right, in my mind, that would be a huge marketing opportunity for all of those man manufacturers to have an American driver in the United States. And so yes, there needs to be an American that's only in it, but an American that's very successful as well.
Speaker 1: Tell me what makes a good driver, and are good drivers born or created?
Speaker 3: And what's the balance? I know it's probably a little bit, you know.
Speaker 4: I think it's a little bit of both. Right, you have to have some innate level of skill, but also you have to continue developing it and you know, getting better because you're never You're never going to be perfect, right, and there's always people that are younger, faster, more committed. I don't know how you want to, but there's always someone chasing you, right. So I think in order to be successful in motorsports specifically, you have to be very type A personality oriented because ultimately and find a lot of competitiveness within yourself because you lose so much more and you win. You know, if you look at a sports team and you think of them having a five hundred season, you're like, oh, it's pretty average, right, You're not going to find any race car driver outside of some specific instances. In Formula One, we're winning half the races you're doing, so you have to be kind of motivated by losses, and you know, perfection doesn't exist in racing. You can always even if you win a race, even if you're on pole, you can look back at the weekend and be like, there was these laps and these corners that weren't ever quite right, And it's because you're you're kind of blending human and machine and to find that perfect balance is never going to be there. So I think to win in racing and to be good at it, you just have to have it consume you, and you have to be okay with losing the lot and just trying to chase perfection that doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: What do you think the key to your success and your longevity has been, I mean, for you specifically, what's your magic that you have?
Speaker 4: Well? I don't know. I mean, I it was fortunate to get the my career going because I had huge parental support. I was an only child and so my parents were able to really put everything behind kind of my dreams and passions that I had as a kid. So that really gave me kind of the runway and the launchpad to do what I wanted. And then beyond that, I mean, obviously it's it's results based. So I've been quick enough for this period of time to have a job. But then also if you look at if you look at being a race car driver as a three well, if you look at a years, three hundred and sixty five days, you're you're in the race car maybe fifty days a year, and so the other time is what you're actually paid to do, you know. Scott Dixon IndyCar Champion has told me this when I kind of first started an IndyCar, and it sums it up perfectly. He's like, Chip pays me to do all of the stuff outside the car, and I drive the car for free. And so all of the partner commitments, the media obligations, the marketing opportunities, the travel for sponsors and events and meet and griefs and that sort of thing, like that's as much of the job as it is to get in the race car on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday and go beat the guy next to you. So I think that you've got to have kind of the whole package in a lot of ways from a marketability standpoint, because ultimately, these sponsors that are writing these checks for you to go drive race cars need to have some way to kind of get some benefit out of it, whether that's purely an ROI from eyeballs on TV, or it's B to B opportunities, or it's using you for customer experiences, employee appreciation stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like the elder Statesman it'll I mean, ye okay, I was gonna say, you're I mean, it's like that's so young still.
Speaker 3: But really, I mean, right, and you've been around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, if you look, I was lucky to start it, I mean professionally at seventeen, right, So it has been a while. But ultimately the runway of all athletes is short, you know, in your career lifespan, I would say racing is actually probably one of the longest ones because you start at eighteen nineteen and in a lot of respects, you can go to forty three, forty four, forty five. So yes, as much level, that's true, right, but much more it's much more common than racing. So I think that while I'm kind of in this interesting phase where like I have a lot to bring to a team with a lot of experience in the sense that I've been doing this for a long time, but also, like you mentioned in the beginning of this, you know, signing with ECR and they have new ownership group coming in and they're kind of changing who they are as a team and their identity. There's a lot of opportunity there that I see way beyond kind of three four or five years that I want to be a part of because they're going to grow into a team that now can compete with the Penske's and the Nasties and Andretties of the world. So yes, it's I'm on the back side of it, but like I still view myself as having you know, solid ten years left. So that's that's the plan.
Speaker 3: I was going to.
Speaker 1: Say, surely you're planning you can do this past forty oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But then it's like, do you really want to do it past forty Like probably not. I mean, is your body on the old body?
Speaker 1: Does your body feel different than it did when you were twenty three? Like, can you physically tell my body is different?
Speaker 4: No? Not not. In the car, I think from the training aspect of it, you know, there's a lot more that I have to do and think about from like injury prevention, and there's a lot more mobility and flexibility work that comes into it because you know, driving a race car, there's a huge demand on kind of the strength side of it, especially Indy car because there's no power steering. You know, the g loads are very high. We race in summer months, so you can lose five six pounds in a race. You know, the cardio aspect of it's important, But really from the strength side, I've had to really, you know, adjust the training program a little bit to be able to keep the same level of intensity. So like my life now, I do plates and I do things that I never would do. I saw people doing and would make fun of them. I'm like, why are you doing that? That's a waste of time. Now I'm that guy. I do a lot more massage work, like I do chiropractive work, So it's a lot more stuff just to keep training at that level. But other than that, if I do all those things in the car notes, it's the same as when I was twenty one.
Speaker 1: Now, are you one of these drivers that does really weird like not weird, but sort of fringy things like where when Cryo used to be like, you know, really obscure weird were you doing in Cryo? Do you have like something super obscure that you actually believe helps you physically or.
Speaker 4: You know, sture to think? So okay, No, there's no weird.
Speaker 1: Life hack that you can share with us that you secretly do.
Speaker 4: No, like I do the normal things, like you watch what you eat, but like you still enjoy what you eat. No, I haven't really Like I did the cryout thing for a little bit, and there was a waste of time.
Speaker 3: That's good because I have I've not done it. I don't really want to, so good to the next.
Speaker 1: So tell me a little bit just about the Vegas race, just your did you did you go to the race last year?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did, okay, So just you know, final thoughts on Vegas in terms of like how this race can grow and doesn't need to And you know, as a driver, what did the driver say about the track? You know, give us some insider perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, first of all, I think everyone loved the track. I actually got to do hot laps for McLaren so I got to drive it a little bit, Like it's amazing track that the setting is obviously second to none. You know, the strip at night is is phenomenal. I thought the event was perfect from an execution standpoint. I thought the experience, like I spent quite a bit of time like outside the paddock and grand stands and the fan zone and kind of walking around. I think the experience was so good because admittedly they were expecting a lot more people to come last year, so in terms of the staffing that existed, it was a lot of a lot of staff for not many people. To each exactly exactly. So from from the flow of the event, I thought it was amazing. The time is terrible, Like I'm really surprised, especially.
Speaker 3: With or TV watchers.
Speaker 4: Or above unless you're in Europe, it's terrible. Like the schedule and when they're doing these entrack sessions is horrible. So I'm really surprised because there was a lot of complaints from the teams drivers and then also the city about you know, the city is impacted because that's the prime time when people are going to dinner and they're going to go to the casino. Right If they come from the racetrack and they're done at ten thirty eleven o'clock, they're they're not spending money at the dinner. At dinner, they might go to the casino, probably not, They're going to go to bed, and then when they wake up at nine am, what are they going to do? Not do any of the things you want people to do in Vegas, right, So it was kind of surreal from that standpoint, and that just goes back to kind of our conversation fifteen minutes ago. Formula one is European centric. They don't really care about the American experience. As much as they care about their fan base in Europe being able to watch it at their normal time. So I do think that that'll shift at some point, and I would say that's the biggest thing that needs to change just to get more people interested in going, because for me, like it is the perfect Vegas weekend. If you go for a couple of days with your buddies, you watch a race at two pm on Sunday, right, you are done by five. You're watching NFL games, right, you can watch Sunday night football, go to dinner, go to casino, have a night. Right as it is now, you're kind of just hanging around all day. A lot of people that I heard of that were there as guests of some companies, like had too many extra cluicker activities leading up to the race, didn't even go to the race, and it's like it's missing the mark a little bit from that standpoint.
Speaker 1: So that was Alex Rossie, and he's so interesting to talk to, you know, at this point. I remember talking to him ten years ago, and he really has developed as a thinker. And like you said, An, he's not the elder statesman yet of IndyCar He's only thirty three. But he's been doing this for so long. I just love getting his perspective on the world of racing because he shoots it straight.
Speaker 2: Very cool. All right, what else have you got coming up? What are you doing after this?
Speaker 1: So Vegas until Sunday, the Grand Prixs on Saturday night, and and you know, next week's Thanksgiving and we are not going anywhere. We are staying put. I might, you know, get Chinese, some Chinese food.
Speaker 4: Sweet?
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: It's the first time so I'm not going home for Thanksgiving. And hopefully my mom doesn't listen to this podcast because she's very unhappy about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sorry, but I'm happy.
Speaker 2: I'm happy because no, no, because we just I've I've traveled a lot, I've gone home. It's expensive when you have, all of a sudden, you're paying for not one or two plane tickets, but four. And also I bought my house with my family to live in it. Like I'm going to set up a fire, I'm going to put the turkey in the oven. I'm going to do the whole deal.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: So, I'm a big believer in establishing your own traditions as an adult, and I understand I'm sorry, my mom does listen to this. You know, I certainly understand that you never want to hurt your family, but some things you do might hurt their feelings, but that at the end of the day, you're the adult. You've got your own family. It doesn't mean you don't love them. And maybe you'll see him next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I definitely will. And I'm glad your mom listens to this podcast.
Speaker 5: I'm too, Hi.
Speaker 2: Awesome, all right, Well, it's been a pleasure. I hope you have a fantastic week. I am gonna be thankful for you, and I'm thankful that we are doing this together. It's really at the top of my list. So and to all of our listeners out there, thank you so much for coming along on this journey with.
Speaker 4: Me and Yanna.
Speaker 1: We truly enjoy all of the feedback.
Speaker 2: Shout just an email at hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. I'm Matt Miller and
Speaker 3: I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Bloomberg