Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Hello everyone, welcome to the weekend edition of Morning Ron. It is Saturday, May twenty fourth. I Amy roboch alongside my.
Speaker 2: Partner TJ Holmes.
Speaker 3: I saw you putting the mic up to your mouth.
Speaker 1: You opened your mouth, and then I thought I'd go ahead and pause.
Speaker 2: I wasn't supposed to talk just yet. I apologize, miss Robot. Please continue.
Speaker 1: No, every week we have stories on the Morning Run that keep us talking after the podcast, we have to keep moving on because we try to get you all the headlines in a succinct way. But man, we have more things to say. So every Saturday we're continuing the conversation. We're going a little deeper on the stories that got us either got us talking or got us worked up or both.
Speaker 3: And man, what a week TJ.
Speaker 2: There are some stories that if we continue to follow, and then some just blew our minds. Some came out of nowhere, and some were fun. Some had us. But yeah, there's so much we do. We try to keep our morning runs to twenty minutes or so, but there's so much we would love to keep saying. And this is a chance to give us to say it, So we kind of honing in on some of these stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and hope it sparks a conversation with you as well, get you thinking. And I do want to point this out. We are deliberately leaving out any Diddy trial coverage because we have an entirely other podcast for that. So if you want to get caught up on Diddy, check out our feed, because we actually have Diddy wraps every single day after trial to get you up to speed on all that's going on with that trial.
Speaker 2: So we don't have any more to say on that.
Speaker 3: No, so we're no Didty news here.
Speaker 1: We get and run down on this podcast, but check out our other ones if you want all of that, because there's a lot to digest. All right, We're going to start with Man, a story that captivated us all week long and it's going to continue into next week likely. But those escaped inmates out of New Orleans. Initially ten inmates were able to get out of jail, and some of these were extremely violent offenders, one of whom has even been convicted of murder, but some of them waiting on murder charges.
Speaker 3: But they pulled a toilet off.
Speaker 1: The wall and escaped through a hole and left a fun little message for guards.
Speaker 2: It was that it was kind of bizarre that it was that easy. We've been talking about it all week. They're still in the roung very dangerous, and New Orleans is on edge right now. But for arrest have now been made in this case, the maintenance guy who cut off the water, and then three women who helped the men in various ways before and after the escape. The escape the maintenance guy is the one that I mean, I chuckled a little bit. None of this should be funny. But his story initially was, Hey, they were threatening me, so I didn't have a choice but to do this. Then he got a lawyer, and his lawyer came out to the public and said, well, it wasn't exactly that way.
Speaker 3: Which one do you buy neither? How about that.
Speaker 2: The second one where he said he was just doing his.
Speaker 3: Job an overflowing toilet.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was told that they needed to cut the water off and he did it. Boom bam boom. Is that not reasonable?
Speaker 1: No, it's not, because here's mister Sterling Williams. When his story changed as to why he turned off the water, which allowed the inmates to pull the.
Speaker 3: Toilet off the wall.
Speaker 1: He now says a guard told him, Hey, there's a toilet overflowing.
Speaker 3: You need to take care of that. So that's when he shut off the water.
Speaker 1: Coincidentally, a little while after, he claims, one of those inmates threatened him with a shank to turn the water off. So it just happened to be that way. But when pressed, he couldn't give the guard's name. He couldn't remember who told him to turn off the water. It's I'm sorry, this is an obvious.
Speaker 2: You don't know which one it was. I mean, it was a very traumatic event going on. They say people go through trump and they often have memory loss, so you can't remember anything.
Speaker 3: There should have been a defense lawyer.
Speaker 2: Not only to be a defense law I just can see things both ways. Now we smile this a little bit, and I'll be honest. Over the years, there have been escaped. We have covered, especially in local news and whatnot, offenders with various backgrounds and crimes they've been charged with. I generally root for someone who gets out of jail. And I say that because I'm not mad at the inmate. It's not your fault if somebody locks you up in jail. Your job then twenty four hours is to try to get out. Everybody wants to be free, so you can't be mad at them for wanting to be free. You can be mad as hell at this jail because you didn't. You told me this morning they'll convicted as a convicted killer who got out through a hole behind a damn toilet.
Speaker 1: Exactly and left a message saying too easy.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 1: But now this is real consequences because two of the prosecutors have had to leave the area because they are fearing for their lives and their families' lives. Witnesses have had to be relocated. People are scared, as you might imagine if you live or if you're even visiting the New Orleans area to know these dangerous men are not only on the.
Speaker 3: Loose, but desperate to stay free.
Speaker 1: So or knows what would happen if you encountered them.
Speaker 3: You now have.
Speaker 1: And it took them a couple of days for the Louisiana State Police to even say, hey, these men are armed and dangerous, and yes, now they're going after the folks who are aiding and abetting them to stay out and to stay free.
Speaker 3: Because this is so.
Speaker 1: Serious and here's another glaring issue with the story. It's now come out the timeline of what happened these inmates, because they have it on video. Escaped at one am. They had them on video, no one was watching the video monitors, no security cameras were being monitored. So they have them on video running. I'm sure you've seen it if you've been watching television coverage of this, and no one knew they were gone until eight thirty in the morning when they did a cell check. Then at eight thirty in the morning when they realized ten dangerous criminals are on the loose New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Two hours goes.
Speaker 1: By before local police are notified to start looking for these men. That is that is inexcusable, and so it is very likely and from the local officials already saying heads are going to roll for this and they should.
Speaker 2: Maybe criminally for what has taken place. So this is Look, this is a scary time for the folks in New Orleans right now because they can tell the guys who are not having left town and they have nothing to lose around around town. So that's one that certainly it continues to be a story after a full week. Another story on Tuesday had people's attention that one of the January sixth rioters is now being given five million dollars at least her family is. We're talking about Ashley Babbitt, you might remember that name. She was shot and kills she was trying to there's video, I think a pretty famous video at this point of her trying to climb through a broken window that was going to the Speaker's lobby. Her family gets five million dollars, essentially a wrongful death settlement here. This set a lot of people, including the Capitol police, like this.
Speaker 3: Is wrong exactly.
Speaker 1: So this didn't go over so well with a lot of folks, especially the law enforcement folks who were there and desperately trying to protect not just the Capitol but the congressmen and women inside the Capital who were, you know, hunkered down and fearing for their lives. But yes, that hallway, that Speaker's lobby that she was getting into through the broken window that would have given her and there were plenty of others behind her access to the House of Representatives chamber.
Speaker 3: That's scary.
Speaker 1: And the Capitol police officer's duty is to protect the lives of the people inside. So the US Capitol Police officer who shot and killed Babbitt was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing in the incident. However, the family sued for thirty million dollars and the Trump administration decided to settle with them for five million. And yes, the US Capitol Police chief said that it was disappointing and they were certainly upset with the decision. And a lot of folks will have different opinions about whether or not she was a criminal and a rioter or she was a patriot, and you know, you see where the Trump administration has fallen on those lines, but it certainly doesn't sit well with a lot of law enforcement who do put their lives on the line each and every day to protect the people inside that capital.
Speaker 2: On Wednesday, we had a story. This is a this is an ongoing story. This one has to do with, of course, former President Biden announced he does have an aggressive form of prostate cancer. It was not caught in his time as president, but it metastasized to his bone. So this had been going on for years and years and years, and everybody was wondering, well, what does how do we not know that this guy who was monitored more than any patient on Earth probably, how do you not know he has prostate cancer? And they came out and say his last known one and this got everybody talk. And the last time that his eighty two year old man had a prostate screening was back in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: It's funny because the second time you said that the last time he had a test, we don't even know if that's true. As you point out, the last known test result was in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. What does that mean? Last known?
Speaker 1: It sounds evasive, It doesn't sound transparent, and it doesn't sound it sounds like it's a little trickery with words so as to not completely but to not completely tell the whole story.
Speaker 2: Last known? Would he know? Would he know the last time he got a screening?
Speaker 1: Well, that's unclear, I mean, but I would think at the very least the physician to the president of the United States should know. And a lot of folks were talking about malpractice that if he wasn't being tested for this, even though the federal guidelines say once you're seventy you don't need to be tested every year because there are a lot of false positives and a lot of unnecessary testing. But that is for the average seventy year old. And I still believe if you're seventy and you'd like to be tested, you can be. You can ask for it, you can request it, and I would think as president of the United States, that would be of the utmost concern. So it doesn't feel right that this wasn't happening. It feels weird how they've worded it. And have we heard from the physician himself. I mean, I would like if they really want full transparency and they want to say, hey, we just didn't do it because it wasn't under the federal guidelines.
Speaker 3: I like to see this doctor actually.
Speaker 1: Come out and say that we didn't test him for or this, because we haven't heard that definitively.
Speaker 2: Well, the result they went back and they have checked his they could put them out publicly listed they put it out publicly. Yes, So if then you got a problem. Then if you did test him and then you weren't putting it out as a part of his medical report, that's the problem. Why did you leave it off? So you have to assume it was not done. So if it was not done, why it should have been done. Right, let's do it that person.
Speaker 1: All, every single person who has looked at this, who has a medical degree much smarter than the two of us when it comes to what you need to do to make sure someone is healthy and to ensure that they're fit to be president of the United States.
Speaker 2: That's what we're talking about, President of the United States. To say, well, you know, the guidelines say we shouldn't test them, so we skipped. It's that's got to be bull Yeah, there's no way, got to be bullshit.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't make any sense and to have now and it's unfortunate because.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it doesn't sound like that he had any idea that he had stage four cancer, because they did come out and say that prior to Friday last Friday, President Biden has never been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Now that is a very clear, definitive statement.
Speaker 2: So a Jeohnvre you share, there's no nuance in that one.
Speaker 3: Right, there isn't Friday Friday, he.
Speaker 2: Had never been diagnosed with prostate cancer. So that that means we just found out.
Speaker 1: Yes, So that would make sense that the doctor, the physician did not test him like that.
Speaker 3: I just can't get my head around that.
Speaker 2: I can't. Maybe they are absolutely following the guide that we need an explanation for that one, but that just seems that's bizarre.
Speaker 1: The guidelines when I found my cancer at the age of forty were that a woman with no prior family history should have to have a mammogram until they were fifty. I chose to do it for a work assignment, as could any other woman in her forties. She could say, Hey, I would like to get a mammogram earlier than the federal guidelines suggest.
Speaker 3: That led to my cancer diagnosis. So I'm just who I am.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine the president saying, ah, you know what, you're outside of the guideline, so let's not do the test.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe that blows my mind.
Speaker 2: We said all the time people sometimes you don't go to the doctor because you don't want to know. Maybe they didn't want to know because maybe they knew they would then have to put it out. Maybe that was the case. I don't know, But they're leaving us all to guests and wonder. But what we're getting cannot just get. It's hard. I want to trust and believe what they put out. It just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: You know so many yeah, so many people don't trust our government as it is. I would say a large portion of people don't. This does not go anyway and helping that feeling that somehow we only get.
Speaker 3: Information that they deem worthy of us. Knowing about.
Speaker 2: Another story we talked a lot about, folks, remember that the video certainly of the fan at the Pittsburgh Pirates game falling over railing and falling onto the playing field while the game was still going on. He is still recovering from some really serious injuries. But rose this it felt, I don't know. It's the letter of the law, but maybe not the spirit of the law. Someone has been arrested now for giving that man who fell alcohol. Now why would that be the case? Robes Because it turns out the man who fell is technically a minor.
Speaker 1: He's twenty, and the man who's been charged is his friend.
Speaker 3: Who's twenty one. Now I have not found what.
Speaker 1: Their birthdays are exactly, but let's just guess that they're within months of each other. So yes, officially, Cavin Markwood who fell and got seriously injured, is twenty, and technically his friend Ethan Kirkwood, who got charged is twenty one. But do we really think it serves any purpose to then charge this twenty one year old friend of his with providing alcohol to a miner when there's already been enough consequences as it is. I'm sure he feels terrible and this isn't what anyone want to happen. And there are also other issues. It seems like they were able to point to him having two beers. Who knows what they consume beforehand, who knows how much they actually had. We haven't been given a blood alcohol level or anything like that. But to me, no matter what state you're in, if you just jump up and cheer on your your favorite team and you are able to be catapulted over a railing, that railing is an issue more than whether or not you're a friend of a couple months older senior than you gave you a beer or two.
Speaker 2: The fall looked, it looked awful when you see the video of how he came, I mean he catapulted it out of that seat, just excited in the excitement of the game. It felt. From law enforcement's position, we have evidence of a crime that took place, and we are going to prosecute that, why would we give them a break? Now, you don't want cops to be able to pick and choose who they decide to prosecute who they don't decide to arrest in all these things. But this is one where if y'all told me they just let the guy go where I would just I would be okay with that. His friend is in the hospital, bust it up. I don't know if he thinks it's his fault. I know he feels bad, of course, but I don't know he feels like, Wow, I shouldn't have give him that beer and then he wouldn't have fallen, or maybe he.
Speaker 3: Does or what if?
Speaker 1: What could he have been just as enthusiastic, completely sober. I mean, I think that's a fair thing as well. And also, if you're gonna start going after people, now go after the people who served the twenty one year old a beer and gave him two beers without seeing a second id.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of places are that strict.
Speaker 2: Two twenty four hours beer? Is that a big beer?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you have to go like if you sometimes when you go to the airport or you go to a lounge, they will only give you or me one drink. To give me the second drink, they need to see the second person's ID. That is technically what should happen, so you could start pointing fingers all around. I just think it's it's unnecessary to go ahead and go through this legal process with this twenty one year old. It just I feel like it's just adding insult to injury.
Speaker 2: But again, they following the letter of the law. Well, on Thursday, we're gona wrap up our last two stories. They have to do with commit addresses. Two very different commencement addresses. One given by a frog, the oven given by a plagiarizer. This was at Smith College in Massachusetts. It's an elite so women's college, isn't it. Yes, yes, an elite women's college. Well, Evelyn Harris was the graduation speaker. She's a longtime musician and a vocal coach. But she gave the speech and she got an honorary degree as well. But Rohobes just days later she no longer had that honorary degree. She had to relinquish it. I think it's the right.
Speaker 1: Word, call it a dishonorary degree or something like that. Where yeah, she admitted to borrowing much of her speech, and she actually said she borrowed it without the attribution typical of and central to the ideals of academic integrity, which we said aka is plagiarism. It's kind of mind blowing that someone who is a teacher, who is all about education, that is incredible to me that she would think it is okay to borrow other people's words to inspire students. This is what she had been doing for decades on her own. And you, I think you said this in the morning run. How is it that she, over all those years didn't acquire enough wisdom or anecdotes, or just messages of hope or inspiration personal stories that could inspire these students to go out in the world. The fact that she was so lazy and succeedful even I think lazy.
Speaker 2: I think maybe it caught up with her. She was trying to come up with some something profound and deep and heavy and sound smart, and maybe she couldn't find her own words and couldn't put it the right way and just got lazy. That is the best benefit of the doubt I can give her, Because anyone that works in academia, plagiarism is everything you get kicked out of school for that, and it's gotten worse because of all these chat right, yeah, all this stuff, and it's harder to monitor these things, and they have services out that people will write your stuff for all this stuff. It's everything. And to think that in that moment, the last act, the last speech, the last lesson they get is from her on their graduation.
Speaker 1: Well maybe the lesson is don't cheat, don't steal, because if you do, you're gonna get found out. And it's humiliating this woman, Evelyn Harris, that unfortunately, is going to be what people remember her most for at that college. And that's not what anybody would want. And it's certainly not the lesson you want to teach someone the hard way like that.
Speaker 3: Have you given a commencement addressed before?
Speaker 2: We given a couple before.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I could go give one right now because we have enough life experience that that woman should have been able to stand up there just start spitting.
Speaker 1: And also just I don't every commencement address is different, but I was given five to seven minutes, and I think they usually don't go longer than ten minutes because it's a length maybe fifteen at the most. You're not having to go ahead and give a dissertation for an hour.
Speaker 3: This is this is impactful.
Speaker 1: Your words matter, and you get to say it pretty succinctly. So it just is mind blowing to me that she couldn't come up with something on her own.
Speaker 2: She was outdone in the commencement addressed department by a damn frog the hand of his butt. This is the story, the other one that really really got us going. Kermit the Frog gave the commencement address at the University of Maryland this week. Maryland is where Jim Hinson, the creative, the publics went pub Pits went to college. They actually have a statue of Kermit the Frog and of Jim Hinson on campus, so he has ties. But the question still is, if you just spent one hundred thousand dollars on your child going to school, they're graduating, and their speaker is a puppet is a frog, would you be okay with that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I might just for just to see what happens. I'd be interested, but I don't know how inspired I would be, and I might be a little irritated. I just myself sat through some commencement address speeches last week as my daughter graduated from college.
Speaker 3: And you look forward to that. I got inspired.
Speaker 1: We had the amazing Molly Shannon give the one at NYU and she was phenomenal. It was personal, it was interesting a frog, you know, and also just his voice to take him seriously as he's speaking into the microphone. You listened to the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't find a transcript of it anywhere, so laughing, I took the time and listened to the I listened to a frog a ten fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: Were you inspired?
Speaker 2: He has some good nuggets, is the thing. I was surprised at how much his jokes did not land.
Speaker 3: They were dad jokes.
Speaker 2: They were There were dad jokes. There were crickets for the frog, a lot of them. But how does he handle I mean as a frog? I mean he can't. He didn't get emotional about it. Obviously, he didn't freak out because he's frog.
Speaker 1: Did he pivot or react when no one laughed at his bad dad jokes?
Speaker 2: Whoever was doing the voice ever, it was live, you could hear him.
Speaker 1: He made.
Speaker 3: It didn't work, he made.
Speaker 2: But he is a star of stage, screen and swamp is what they say. But the best line I told you there was. He did have some good nuggets. But the best line. Do you agree that's a good line?
Speaker 1: It was the best of me yocre lines.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to I don't mean to throw hate it, Kermit, but but you are.
Speaker 3: But I just have to be honest here.
Speaker 2: What with the content or from the delivery mechanism of this content?
Speaker 1: You know what the content, because even the delivery mechanism it would take me a while to get over to watch. But if there was some real, h inspirational, thoughtful personal this all seemed kind of the It was like the low hanging fruit. Like he went and made the hog joke about you know, miss Piggy, and then he made you know, the jokes about just you know, it's froggy out instead of foggy out Like it wasn't clever.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the nice the good lines. Always be on the lookout for old friends you just met. I love that line.
Speaker 3: That is a good one.
Speaker 2: See okay, Now, if you've heard that and it was, if I told you it was delivered by some philosopher one hundred and twenty years ago, you go, wow, that's good. But if it's Kermit, you got a problem with it.
Speaker 1: It does change the messager does change the message.
Speaker 2: No, we all know it does.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: How about we leave on a high note because this was your favorite line from Kermit the Frog, and we will end the podcast with this. It'll be like our quote of the day, except for it comes from Kermit at his commencement dress.
Speaker 2: Well for you in it, because we end in a high note, and I think this other nugget you just reminded me of might sound like a low note. A part of the argument with him being there and any criticism that did kind of boil up. It seemed like a cop out from the university. Like with all going on, everybody's nervous as hell about what somebody's going to do in a commencement address, so they're gonna try to say something political, make some kind of a statement about a war, and all these things. Kermit, we knew what we're gonna get is gonna be safe, is not going to ruffle anybody's feathers. And there was some argument that they just made a very safe choice, which wasn't announced until March I think it was, so it was fairly recent.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to let anybody know, so they couldn't complain very long.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but that's but I don't know. If I think about all those years of college and you sit up there, and if I had miss Piggy giving.
Speaker 1: Me a speech for the hogs, that would have been actually funny.
Speaker 2: That would not that would not be funny.
Speaker 3: See, when it's your commencement, you don't want a puppet.
Speaker 2: I don't, But I'm still saying he had good stuff to say.
Speaker 1: All right, here was the line we'll leave you with from Kermit the Frog at the Smith No wait, Maryland University of Maryland commencement. I mix up the commencement at the University of Maryland commencement. All right, as you prepare to take this big leap into real life, here's a little advice. If you're willing to listen to a frog, rather than jumping over someone to get what you want, consider reaching out your hand and taking the leap side by side, because life is better when we leap together.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Kermit. Come on, so let's get out of here. I want you right beside me, and we're gonna leap our butts on down the hall.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see that.
Speaker 1: All right, have a wonderful weekend, everybody
Speaker 2: M