Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We survived the weekend. Ready to go. Happy Dan Patrick's Day to everybody here. We'll dive into the brackets. We got some football news for you as well. Phone calls always welcome. Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like. We have bagpipes coming in a little bit later on. Pauli has asked to learn how to play the bagpipes, so we will see if one of the members of the band will give up his bagpipes. That'll be coming up. You can be part of our Bracket Challenge. I just found out Alex Ovechkin is going to be on our Bracket Challenge. Of course he is. Our Bracket Challenge is live right now Foxsports Radio dot Com. We have a lot of celebrities, as we always do every year. Brian Cranston is in a Josh Dumel. We'll have Adam Sandler in that. John Smoltz will be in there. But Alex ovech he's been busy scoring goals, but he is going to take time out for our Bracket Challenge. You can be in the Bracket Challenge with the celebrities go to Fox Sports Radio dot com. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of the program. First Hour brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. They'll help the hiring process reduce time to hire, cut cost, find the right talent, and they're there for contract work, full time roles. Visit Expresspros dot com today to transform your hiring process. Eight seven seven to three. D P Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle at DP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock Down, thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates across the country. Todd is out for the next couple of days. Dylan from the graphics department is in in Fritzie's chair, looking good wearing the green seatin is here. Marv pauliears truly, and of course the backroom guys play the day, poll question, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. I guess there's one big outcry, one controversy. North Carolina got in West Virginia did not. Okay, As I've said many times, it's a TV show. You want to get the right teams big names in there. Did West Virginia get snubbed? Perhaps? Should North Carolina been in there? Probably not. I think the comeback and the near victory against Duke is the reason why they're in. Is that enough to put him in? Not in my opinion, But I haven't been following it every single day, every single night, every single week. I'm just going by what the analysts are saying. Now, we'll dive into it this week. We'll have people on seth Greenberg, former coach, works for the Mothership. He'll explain why North Carolina got in. But when you get to sixty eight teams, I just don't have any sympathy. It's really hard to go, man, did they get robbed? If you're on the bubble, you put yourself in the position to have a guy named Bubba decide if you're going to get in the tournament. By the way, Bubba is a North Carolina guy, but he heads up the NCAA selection committee. I don't think there's a conflict of interest, is there. I think when they talk about his school, he asked to leave the room. Though I don't think he can argue the case for at least that's what I was told I'm going to have to ask Seth Greenberg, But Bubba Cunningham NCUBA Selection committee talked about the teams that were snubbed, the last.
Speaker 3: Four teams that were out for you know, it was a tough call. The next team out was West Virginia and they had now standing year and unfortunately know if Tucker Dereeze was hurt and player of billability is something that we talked about quite a bit. And then it just you know, Indiana was close, Ohio State was close, Boise was close, and we had a lot of conversations about those teams as well. But as I said at the onset here is that's the hardest part of being on the committee is having to draw that line. But with only one real upset this year, who were an awful lot of teams on the bubble that got in and last year, as you guys all know that we had five and so we couldn't go very deep into to that pool.
Speaker 2: Gohels And I know he did not say that that was in the clip? Was it? That was that was in the clip? We must have edited out before right at the very end. Look, I know it's really important to certain cities, towns, coaches players when you don't make the tournament. I can sit here and go, come on, we have sixty eight teams. It's important to West Virginia. It'd be important Indiana, Mike Woodson, Ohio State, Boise State. I understand that. But when you get to that point where we're taking sixty eight, they're going to expand to seventy six maybe next year after that. I mean, really, do we have to shed any tears here? Should North Carolina been in? I didn't think so, but I don't know West Virginia his resume and how that stacks up where you go, Oh, it's so egregious here.
Speaker 4: Yes, s West Virginia had plenty of chances down the stretch here to do something notable. Beat Colorado the very least, beat Colorado in your last game. Yeah, and they went six and nine in the second half of the season. They didn't beat anybody of any real value. No NCAAA caliber tournament teams did they beat. I mean, just win one of those, win one of those games against the decent teams, beat Houston or somebody, and then you're in.
Speaker 5: Yes, I disagree a little bit because once the games are over on Sunday, we go to the resumes, the room goes to the resumes, and Uncar's resume was drastically worse than West Virginia. So if you're West Virginia, you know we got screwed by the UNC legacy, the brand of UNC.
Speaker 6: How about a chance to get our legacy and get in the tournament?
Speaker 2: Yes? How can we start a legacy when you continue to honor the other legacies. But if that's the case, Indiana would have gotten in because Indiana, Mike Woodson's losing his job and they had a late run here. I mean, this is all about SEC. SEC is now a basketball conference, the Big Ten in the SEC. The SEC had fourteen teams. That's most in tournament history. The previous record you have to go back almost fifteen years. Big East had eleven fourteen teams.
Speaker 4: Ow to sixteen. That's almost every every team.
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Well, Texas and Oklahoma they had six and twelve records in conference play. Texas nineteen and fifteen. That's tied for the most losses by an at large team in NCAA tournament history. Stat of the day, stat of the day, Boss, stead of the day, stat of the day on your commerce here comes that what stat of the day. Stat of the day brought to you by a Panini America. All right, we'll get to best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like. Check in with the Minnesota Vikings, We'll check in with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and we'll check in with Seth Greenberg. He'll help you fill out your brackets. Also, some other news, some football news. The Bengals locked up Jamar Chase and T Higgins. Offense wasn't the problem last year for the Bengals. Defense was. Joe Burrow put up MVP like numbers, and I know the salary caps going up, but you're signing up two wide receivers. And this felt like, Hey, Joe, we want to make you happy, keep you happy. We're going to bring back your wide receivers. I like T Higgins. I don't want to sign him up to a long term deal when I know I need help elsewhere. Jamar Chase, could you have signed him maybe a couple of weeks ago. Could you have saved some money? Probably?
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 2: If you say we're going to make you the highest non paid quarterback in the game, well then you got to keep an eye on the rest of the league and all the other players who were getting money and Miles Garrett's contract. So now you got to pay more than Miles Garrett. Had you locked him up earlier, you probably are saving yourself quite a bit of money there. But the Bengals lock him up Jamar Chase and t Higgins. That was last night. The Falcons are going to keep Kirk Cousins. They gave him ten million dollars yesterday. I don't know how your Sunday was, but he earned ten million dollars. He probably went to bed, bath and beyond, had the kids in the mini van, you know, Patagonia, maybe get some clothes, probably got something to eat, went to McDonald's and picked up ten million dollars to be on the roster. Cooper Cup is going back home. He went to eastern Washington. It is from Yakima. I believe going to the Seattle Seahawks. I certainly understand that the number one seeds the women ucla USC, South Carolina and Texas. The men's number one seeds Auburn, Florida, Duke and Houston. All Right, Seaton poll questions start out first hour is going to be what well.
Speaker 4: I think for the first hour, we'll put up a couple who would you rather see in the tournament? West Virginia, Indiana, Boise State, you see Irvin, Ohio State or North Carolina. Okay, those are your options. We have another one here who had the best weekend. We like to start out with that. Your options there. Rick Patino is having a hell of a time.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, he's coaching in Greece after the Louisville situation, and then you come back and then it's Iona and then all of a sudden, Saint John's. He's one of the greatest coaches ever. I mean, you can put him on the Mount Rushmore of college basketball coaches. I mean, he's got nine lives. Everywhere he goes, he wins, he does. He will be a big, big, big topic. And you can't tell me that the committee doesn't have a sense of humor of what about this matchup in round two? Saint John's wouldn't they wouldn't they play Arkansas in round two? Now, that's right, Arkansas has to be Kansas and John Caliperry's team hasn't played great, but you would have Cali Perry against Rick Patino. No love loss there with the former Kentucky coaches and Rick of course coaching at Louisville. But every year it feels like, you know, remember when Bob Knight at Texas Tech, if they won Indiana one, they were going to meet in the second round. And then I'm always told this as somebody who's on the committee, and no, we don't factor that in. I go, why don't you? I get I'm surprised that you don't do it, Like, I'm not going to criticize you. If you do, it's entertainment. It'd be a fun matchup. I'm fine with that. So that's the pole question to start out. Is there another one that you're considering here in the first hour?
Speaker 8: Seat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the best weekend we had Rick Patino, North Carolina Basketball. Obviously, Jamar Chase and t Higgins had a great weekend. Other neither neither.
Speaker 2: Et ceteratc etc. Indeed, indeed, Uh, Dylan has green on today. I've got green on today. Marvin has green on today. Paul and Seaton do not have green on today.
Speaker 8: Huh, I have green on a chair.
Speaker 2: Nobody can see your chair.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have green.
Speaker 2: You're you're not a Greener.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you know what, Honestly, I got up. I was so busy this morning. I completely forgot it was Saint Patrick's Day. And I got to work and I was just like, I'm Marvin. I was like, oh, man, Marvin, I love that hoodie. Still didn't put it together. You were wearing that jumper, Still didn't put it together. You know what it was that tipped me off the today with Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 2: When the bagpipes came in.
Speaker 4: Uh no, No, slightly before that, when I saw Dylan, Oh yeah, I was like, oh that's oh, that's why they're all wearing that. That's right, Dang, I should have worn something.
Speaker 2: You're looking good, Dylan Man. Yeah, how long did it take you to plan that outfield? This one actually was already ready to go. I like that you wore yesterday, I mean yeah, the day before.
Speaker 4: Actually, Seatan's got to be the only person whose last name is O'Connor in the country that's not wearing green today.
Speaker 2: I'd guess I don't know how we find that out, but I'm going to take your wire. Yeah, thank you. I mean there's a few of us, but Paul Green.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's one of those things during the weekend. I kind of thought it was Saint Patrick's Day weekend, Yeah, and I forgot that it trickled over to a Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the actual day, the actual day. Yeah, Parade Day was just the other day. So yeah, there were people celebrating yesterday a little bit. But I don't I know, hey, green beer and no I'm not interested. I give your Irish We don't need a day. We have three hundred and sixty five. I mean, it's nice to share it with America the world, although.
Speaker 4: I didn't really feel the pressure to wear green today. It's like, yeah, no, my name is Patrick O'Connor. As Irish as I can possibly look at my face, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, what's your face?
Speaker 7: Say?
Speaker 2: It's fairly Irish. It's fairly Irish, so's mine. Yeah, yes, usually it's our heads are noggins, a freckles, that whole thing. The Irish are famous for their big noggins, yes.
Speaker 5: For not having red hair. A Seaton is very Irish looking like he went to Notre Dame. And you would get that drum, major role for the marching band. It would be automatic.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you be the Leprechaun? Would you be the mascot at Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: It's a great honor to be that mascot. Hell yeah, Okay, I got to figure out my push up game a little bit, but yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure what mascot that you go. I'd like to be that mascot. Is there one that comes to mind? Where you go? You know, I could keep my dignity being that mascot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're saying it like it's a negative being a mascot.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I just there are certain mascots that I don't know if I want to be, although it is great to be in disguise. You can get away with a lot of stuff, you know, right right, Yes.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at some of them, like Brutus the Buckeye. Everyone knows him for the Ohio State University. But that head is huge, that must be top heavy. Yeah yes, yes, uh Dylan.
Speaker 2: So Actually, Rocky the Mountain Lion the Nuggets mascot isn't bad and reportedly earned six hundred and twenty five thousand dollars annually, So.
Speaker 8: Sign me up for this.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I sit corrected. You know, Marvin, would you like to be the Husky for six.
Speaker 8: And twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you're not getting paid that kind of money. Oh, just free room and board money. You might like an nil you might get some money then io. Absolutely, okay, you'd be the Husky. Jonathan Husky, of course you his name's Jonathan. It is what is it in the Husky real creative. One of the founders of Yukon. His name was Jonathan. It was his last name, Husky.
Speaker 8: I need to stop making fun of my school rate there.
Speaker 2: It's hey, what what's your seed in the tournament? We're the eighth sted eight seed. We played Oklahoma. You're out West, but it's.
Speaker 8: Our Okay, we've we've won national championships in the West before.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. You didn't sound that confident when you were talking about your You're Jonathan Huskies.
Speaker 8: It's January, February, Yukon. April it's our month.
Speaker 2: But the championship is crowned in April. There, Johnny Husky.
Speaker 8: Great, so you're saying, but it's March madness. It's not called April madness.
Speaker 2: But they crowned the champion in April.
Speaker 8: Okay, we went there too. Okay by double figures, by the way. Oh, not even close games. Not even close games.
Speaker 2: I hope Yukon and Saint John's meet out. Well that'd be a lot of fun.
Speaker 8: Oh, that'd be amazing. Yeah, but Spike leeod be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Spike Lee's all of a sudden a Saint John's fan. He's got the whole gear. It's like, come on, Spike, how about you make a movie.
Speaker 8: It looks like a lot of Saint John's people just came out of the woodword, I know, for the first time since two thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Walter Berry, there, the truth is there. I'm like, damn, Jason Williams, the other Jason Williams. Yeah, he was their court side, Like where where have all these? Who is who is the other one? Yes?
Speaker 4: I think just so we're tracking the story properly. I think they're up to the fifteenth Jonathan the Yukon Husky. Oh, just like Uga, you know whatever, this is the fifteenth Jonathan, you go fast, Jonathan the Husky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Uga dies. I don't Jonathan doesn't die. I mean, it's just a person in the in the uniform, isn't it in the costume?
Speaker 8: Well, there's actual husky too. A mascot.
Speaker 4: Okay, almost like I'll go so like Jonathan is like a real dog.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I haven't been. I haven't followed it the Husky.
Speaker 8: I guess we gotta go to store soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, maybe we go watch our girls play in Cuba. Turn you wanna go on Saturday? Where are they playing in stores?
Speaker 8: Of course?
Speaker 2: A couple of well they know they're gonna sell out. All right, let me take a break. Uh, Seth Greenberg will join us. We'll talk about the brackets here. Take a break. Your phone calls as well. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us.
Speaker 9: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talked about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 2: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Rory McElroy and JJ Spawn for the Players Championship. Now it's a three hole playoff, so it's your total aggregate right now. Rory is leading after one hole by one shot, and they went to the seventeenth. Rory put her on the green. JJ Spawn flew the green, so Rory can play conservative golf and end up winning the Players Championship. By the way, everything's on sale. Danpatrick dot com clearing out inventory for the spring. Everything must go. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Eight seven, seventh, three DP show. One of the great irishmen of all time, Seth Greenberg, ESPN college basketball analyst joining us on the program. Happy Saint Patrick's day, Seth.
Speaker 7: I'm not approperly addressed. I apologize.
Speaker 2: It's okay. Oh pah, yeah, pah. All right, let's get the big controversy out of the way. North Carolina made it, West Virginia didn't, Indiana didn't, Ohio State. BOBIZI, how big of a deal is this in your opinion?
Speaker 7: I think it's a big deal. I mean, you know, you are your body of work, your resume is your resume, and you know, North Carolina do you get credit for playing good teams? Do you get credit for beating good teams? They're one and twelve against pod one. That's a fact. They played a very difficult non conference schedule. That's a fact. They also lost to pitt and way Forest, then Clemson and Louisville. All right, those were opportunities. Not saying those teams aren't good, but those are opportunities that they didn't embrace. They played Michigan State in Hawaii. That was an opportunity before Michigan State became the juggernaut that they were Now look playing Auburn and Alabama and Florida, you know, those are the best of the best. But I do think that if you look at their resume, their body of work, their resume says they're not an NC tournament team. Having said that, that now that they're in the tournament, they can beat San Diego State. Now that they're in the tournament, they can give Ole Miss a game. But you know what, you don't get a free pest to get in the tournament. You earn your way into the tournament. And everyone should be evaluating across the same set of criteria. And that's probably the thing that kind of bothers me to an extent.
Speaker 2: How did it happen?
Speaker 7: And then how did it happen? Look, Bubba kind of him is a good man. I have a lot of respect for him. He's the head of the committee and they say, well, yo, he accuses himself from the room when they're talking about North Carolina. That's great breakfast, lunch and dinner conversations. Committee members that he's chairing, who also know they're in that situation. I thought they put Zavier in as well. And I think they put Zader in and as kind of another one of those teams that didn't have a ton of quad one wins. But that was a good way to justify I put in North Carolina and because the resumes were similar. But look, I'm not pointing a finger at Bubba without a doubt, I'm not doing that. But the system is flawed in this way. Dan, We've got to have a better set criteria. So people everyone's got their own prison of what they're looking at, how they're looking at these resumes. Right, we've got to say this is the most important, this is the second most important, this is the third most important. Instead of having everyone say, well, you know the prism I looked at this through like the whole idea that they said, well, West Virginia, you know, de Breeze wasn't there at the end of the season. He wasn't there at the beginning of the season. They still won games. I mean he missed twenty four games or so, so you know, just the excuse after the bracket came out was a little bit weak. Oh, it is what it is. It's over with now we're gonna have a great NCAA tournament. But as a guy that sat on the outside looking in for forty eight straight bunfs, dan uh not that not that it still bothers me. All uh. You know, I feel for those guys because you know, the tournament is a reward for your season. I feel for the seniors on those teams. I feel for the coaches. The season starts, you know, in the summer, it goes. It's a long, grinded out season. And I thought some of those other teams deserved the opportunity had in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: What's the biggest storyline going into the tournament in your opinion?
Speaker 7: The dominance of Florida. I think Florida can have a U contact run through the tournament. I think they're that good. I think I called Noah's ark. They got to everything, the pace of course, the freedom that they play with, their bigs run the floor and are skilled. Walter Clayton to me, is a lottery pick at the guard position. They go ten deep. I think far it is dominance in the SEC tournament. How they won is one of the key storylines. And then Cooper Flagg, you know, I mean we got to talk about Cooper Flagg, right, you understand that, right?
Speaker 2: Yes, he availability, though seems like he's getting the green light to go.
Speaker 7: I think what they're gonna do is I think he's going to get the green light to go. I think, you know, in just listening to John, who's done just an incredible job. But listening to John, I think what they're going to try to do is he's going to do some individual workout stuff today, back in practice of skill work, probably no contact. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday, he'll do some live stuff and then the yew it reacts. But they need him to win the national championship. Ideally, they'd like to get him some minutes in opening around game to get his feet wet, experience what the tournament's about, because each game you win, there's a greater pressure. Really impressed with how Duke played in the a SEC tournament. A lot of guys stepped up. But I expect him to play. But there's a lot of people. This is the thing that people don't understand. It's obviously Cooper, the medical staff, John Shire, his parents, and you know, the last group that's going to be involved in this decision probably his agent. I mean, because that's the world we live in now, where all these players have agents and you know he's a valuable commodity. They just want to make sure that he's going to be healthy. It's just an ancle spring, but you don't want something to be something that's going to be a lingering ankle spape, right, and that could impact, you know, a big picture him working out for NBA teams and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: Seth Greenberg, ESPN College basketball analyst, the most vulnerable number one seed is.
Speaker 7: You know, that's an interest. I'm going to say the most vulnerable buy the bracket they're in, and I would say that's going to be Houston. As hard as Uston plays, as well as they rebound the ball. But if you look at the bracket, first of all, Tennessee is kind of like Houston one point oh, I mean Tennessee. Rick barneseems played so hard, physical, Mayshak and Zikais Egler are elite, elite defenders. But the rest of that bracket, if you look at teams that can you know, be a problem, whether it's if Kentucky gets healthy, Lamont Butler plays, it's three point shooting, which is you know which is which is an issue. I mean, there's no doubt about it. Clemson an experienced backward Illinois finally healthy, uh, and then Tennessee. So I would think Houston has the toughest rule. Some people say Auburn because of Michigan with those two seven footers in Michigan state on the bottom of the draw. But my gut feeling is I have this feeling about Tennessee and just their connectivity, their toughness and uh, they're due, They're due.
Speaker 2: Explained Rick Patino as a former coach, and what he does, no matter where he goes, he wins. How does how does this happen?
Speaker 7: How does it happen? He's a savant. He takes his team and beat you, and he takes your team and beat you. I mean he's a savant. He is unrelenting in terms of the standard that he sets. He gets total buy in from his guys. He gets winning players and tough guys. But in the end, the guy has a gift, even despite the white suit, he has a gift. I mean what he does, whether it's a Boston University at Providence with the Knicks, live Louisville with Kentucky, now with Saint John's. He basically gets guys to play in a manner where they all buy into being winning players. They all buy into one thing, the good in the group. What he's done with Kadarie Richmond getting him to play every play a sixty six point guard which makes them really hard to play against. Or r J. Lewis, who started at U Mass who's a shot maker and a sco and making him and getting him to buy him what to be successful like, he gets those guys to buy in to the greater good. He gets those guys to buy in to competing at a level they didn't think. Now this time he's doing it with big six six guards. You know. He also did it with Russ Smith, Peyton Siva. He also did it with Billy Donovan. He also did it with Mashburns. So he's just got a gift and he's in the perfect place because New York guy in New York selling out Madison Square guard and happened to Runny had the year that coach Carterseca passes. Understanding the history and the tradition of Saint John's embracing all that, Uh, this was a long time coming because I personally the last time the job opened up, I probably would have said, you know, he's had some issues. But Rick Patino is New York Basketball.
Speaker 2: What happened to Yukon this year?
Speaker 7: They're not as good. I mean, like the level was so high and the bar was so high. I mean, you know, you lose Klingon, you lose Snogo the year before you lose you know, you have two of everything in the post. You lose Stephencastle and elite defender. You know, before you lost Andre Jackson the elite defender, they swung himss a little bit in the portal. I mean, that's just the fact their inability to defend the ball at the point of attack. Offensively, it's still beautiful, watch their ball movement to people movement. They don't have a shot creator offensively, which is a problem. They get everything out of their offense Stephan Castle, who just get down the lane. Jordan Hawkins could come off a screen, bang a jumper or shot fake and get in the lane. They don't have that. And then defensively they're just they don't have a lockdown defender. So like even in this first game, Jeremiah Fears, Jeremiah Fears has a little Kyrie irving in his game, like defending him in the Three Guards of Oklahoma, that's going to be a little bit of an issue. And then offensively, you get to a short clock situation, and then you watch so much basketball, you're you know so much about it in our historian. You get to the end of a shot clock, who do you give the ball to? You give to Leeve McNeely as a freshman who's like a six to six guy. It's developing into it. Give to hassand the IRA because he really can't score it, but he can get maybe in the lane. You know, they had pros they were giving the ball to at the end of the shop. Lock having said that, the dude is a savant, the dude is amazing. You know, you can like him dislike him. He's great for college basketball. I go over there all the time to watch him practice. He's a master teacher, but it's model behavior. He acts and coaches no differently than his dad did when he was winning state championship after state championship and becoming a Hall of Fame coach. The guy is a tremendous coach and his players love him as hard as he is on him, and he can be hard on him. His guys respond to him, He connects with him at a different level because he cares so much.
Speaker 2: The NBA has surrendered to the three. College basketball hasn't. But I don't know if you know, I'll ask your opinion while I give mine, which isn't great interviewing. But it almost feels like the coaches are in a little more control in college ounsketball of the style hole that you can play as opposed to the NBA, where the stars are bigger than their coaches.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've turned into a European game, the college game. A lot of coaches are running a lot of five out they're running up not as much just pure ball screen. It's more balling people movement, you know, like everyone. My thing about the NBA is that players take bad shots and make them. College players take good shots of missing, so like the coach has to have more of a little bit more control. You know, who you get shot from, where you get shot from, when you get the shot from. That's why I like Auburn, even though they're struggling now. Bruce pel does a great job of getting his guys where they want their shots to get come from, which is important. So yeah, A lot of people disagree with me. I don't think we should go to twenty four second clock. I do think we can advance the mull at the end of games. I think that would be good because we'd have more exciting finishes. I think we should go to quarters, that's fine. I don't think we should move the three point lineback. Our game is different. Our game is different, you know what, and we try to be the NBA. We're not going to be the NBA. You know. The chance to get the upset in the NCAA tournament is because of our rules. We would have never when I was Virginia Tech Beaten Duke in North Carolina, when we beat Kansas when we were at Long Beach State, we would have never had those wins if there was a twenty first second clock, if the rule, if the rules were the way it is now. The one thing I am worried about the NCUBLE Tournament, especially for the SEC, is the SEC fourteen teams in the tournament. I think they can get three in the final four potentially, which is the first time since the Big East did it. But it's been such a physical league. I do worry the first two rounds when they call it a little tighter and this league is so physical and handsy. If that's going to impact outcomes of games, because they're going to get a bunch of teams in foul trouble.
Speaker 2: Best college basketball team of your lifetime was who for me?
Speaker 7: At my lifetime, I played against them and the unility team of Jerry Darkadia. They came at you at warp speed. They are absolutely relentless. And I'm talking about teams I coached against. Yeah, they played at one, one three a me, but then they played man and man and they came at you in like at warp speed. Larry Johnson was running right to the front of the rim. Good luck you playing a side of me. Catchers can play behind him, backs you down, Anderson hunts knocking down threes. How hard they played. See, that's the one thing about Jerry Tarcaanie. He was a great coach. He wasn't a good coach. He acquired talent. We know that he had great players, But how hard they played, how they defended, how simple they were offensively, but how well they executed. They were so hard to play against because of the force they played with, their selfishness, they played with and they never took a playoff. I mean, they just came at yet, at Yet, and at Yet, and it was just it was a brutal forty minutes.
Speaker 2: And Bob Lee and I when we did Sports Center, we argued about how great this team, one of the great teams of all time, and we kept coming back to their blowing people out. If they get into a tight game, I want to see how they do. They got into a tight game in that, you know, second year when they faced Duke and they had a hard time getting a shot off. Your pick for the tournament is Fara. Okay, we'll talk to you. We'll talk to you during the tournament. Thank you again.
Speaker 7: For much respect.
Speaker 2: One of the great irishmen of all time. Seth Greenberg, ESPN College Basketball Analyst, work on that wardrobe. Probably a little later on, we'll take a break. Play of the Day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 5: Oh My God.
Speaker 2: Of the day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 7: Check this out down by one two minutes to play for a Big Ten Tournament title.
Speaker 4: Donaldson Center Circle around the screen, shoots a right wing three.
Speaker 7: Est gets first play to the hum fifty three to fifty one, forty seven left.
Speaker 2: Damn, I jumped. That's gour to see a Learfield Sports Michigan has won eleven of its last twelve games decided by six points or last. I watched a lot of this game. It was good, good back and forth. I watched a lot of Saint John's and Creighton and for three quarters of the game that was really That was like Final four slugfest. It was like a heavyweight title fight. Play of the Day brought to you by tire Iraq, the official tire expert of the show. Go to tire rack dot com, slash Damn Try the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Bridgestone tire special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rack dot com The Way tire Buying Should be. Rory McElroy is wrapping up the Players Championship. It was a three hole playoff with JJ spawn He leads by three. Both players are on the eighteenth, but Rory is probablybably fifteen feet away and could probably three putt and ended up end up winning the Players Championship. In playoff. Buddha California joining us. Hi Budda, welcome back. What do you have for us?
Speaker 7: What up?
Speaker 8: DP?
Speaker 7: Happy?
Speaker 10: Dan Patrick's day seton the way you're situated. You have a lot of green around you, and your chair has green on it too, So you're good, brother, So you get up from your seat.
Speaker 2: Paul And.
Speaker 10: But Dan, I know Joe Burrow was a campaigning and voiced, you know, his opinion for the resigning of his two boys, the star receivers, and I mean he really challenged the franchise to step up. But also t Higgins hiring the same agent as Jamar Chase d And that's really a sneaky good detail on this, this whole, this whole story of that. I'm signing together for good for them. Best of the weekend, Dan, Bengals DP for finally signing both their two star receivers. Worst of the weekend Bengals VP for waiting to sign their two star receivers. I just don't get why these teams wait so long. You're only delaying the inevitable, which costs them two big bags.
Speaker 2: Matt Good, Yeah, I can have a tiree kill, you know, a wide receiver tight end situation like you had with Kansas City Chiefs. But I look at the Bengals and they're kind of like the Dolphins that you have a quarterback making a lot of money and you have your wide receivers. I just don't think it's a blueprint for success. You might make the playoffs, but you are you resigning your best defensive player, Trey Hendrickson. He's thirty years of age, but he led the NFL in sacks. Defense was the problem, But I mean, can you outscore people maybe during the regular season. I just don't think you can have that that blueprint and win. I think the Bengals are very similar to the Dolphins, and we've seen what's happened with the Dolphins. I do think this is we're going to play Kate Joe Burrow. We don't want to have another Carson Palmer situation. We will get him his weapons. I just want to see, now, what are you going to do to do with that defense? That's really going to be the true test of Hey, we're scoring. I mean, they'll be exciting. I just don't know if they're going to be formidable. Uh. Daniel in Saint Paul, Hey, Dan, what's on your mind today.
Speaker 11: How do you guys happen? Happy Saint Patrick's Day? Happy Dan Patrick stated, everyone out there, I'm Irish Catholic on my mom's side, my extended family. We marched in the parade every year. Thanks for coming out last year, guys, We're missing you this year. Shout out to everyone of j O, Kaidan Klan and Christine and Jacksonville. Oh, best nors of the weekend. I love March Madnis. It's the best time of the year. I love that as getting started. Double best Michigan wolver Reing's pulling out that way yesterday I was day side closes, no showing.
Speaker 2: Up for that.
Speaker 11: It's kind of brutal, and I was wondering how you guys feel about this. I think Thursday and Friday should be a sports religious holiday. If you love sports, it's a mandatory must watch. What do you guys think about that? Ye isn't that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm fine with that. You know, I've been pushing for push the super Bowl back so you get President's Day off. We're gonna treat the super Bowl as the biggest event of the year and let us recover the day after. Sound like Daniel has already been in his cups from the weekend there in Saint Paul. By the way, we had a wonderful time. People in Saint Paul were wonderful, had a great time there as I was one of the Grand marshals last year turzou in des Moines or Des Monet, Iowa.
Speaker 11: I'dy Saint Patrick stayed.
Speaker 7: Dan Hey, big fan of the Drake Bulldogs.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was a little disappointed whenever they got an eleven seed.
Speaker 11: They have been a really solid team all year long.
Speaker 7: I think they kind of.
Speaker 11: Got the short end of the stick.
Speaker 7: Watch out for him though in the tourney and seeing we better be pulling for those Bulldogs if they make this Sweet sixteen, I'll take a part of the face.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drake's a good team. Drake's one of those teams where you're going to see them play and you're gonna go wow. You know, they got some guys from Division two and it's a really good roster, I think that, and you got guys who I think they have a lot of upper classmen there, and that's what I look for too, very underrated when you look at a roster and you go, all right, how many juniors and seniors are there. That means they're they're good. They weren't good enough to leave after their freshman or sophomore year, but they're still good enough to play, you know, Division one college basketball. You make your free throws, you know, do you have good shooters? A couple of three point shooters. It feels like the formula has changed a little bit. But we talk about guard play.
Speaker 6: Are you saying we joke to win a senior guard.
Speaker 2: I think it could be guard play and making free throws. You know, having a guy you can go to when you need a bucket. That's also important as well. Yes, Pauline, I.
Speaker 6: Love senior guard playing when you don't know who's on a roster.
Speaker 2: Yes, we practiced. You know when we listen to the analyst and they'll just you know, if I say Tennessee, well, you know what, you gotta love their guard play and they're big, they can get down the floor, and they're tough. You know, Rick Barnes, They're always gonna be tough. They're gonna play tough at SEC basketball. I don't know Tennessee, but I can make it sound like I know Tennessee, Yes, paul, Yeah, but if the Valves.
Speaker 6: Can control the turnover margin, They're really gonna have a chance to win this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't. You just can't turn the bowl over. The number of analysts that we're gonna hear over the next three weeks say these same things over and over.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marv and whoever has a big game, it's never gonna be my name.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: Hey, you know the guard from Drake and he's been on fire.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Well, you have to say the guard play. You know, Drake's guard play is really good. You don't ask the follow up question, well, who are they now that guard play? You know they're bigs. You know, you got to respect their bigs.
Speaker 5: Yes, other cliches are good, like if Michigan State's in it, you don't know their backcourt. You know, I just trusted tom as a team this time year. That's a Golden Wide.
Speaker 2: You know Tom ISO's going to have his team ready to play. Don't as opposed to the other coaches won't have their players ready to play. You know, I really like Maryland, Actually I do. I really like Maryland, but I like their guard play. Of course, senior guard play. I don't know if they have senior guard they might have seen your guards are on the bench. They improve the GPA. All right, talk a little football. Are the Vikings actually interested in Aaron Rodgers. We'll have that for you coming up.