Speaker 1: Hey, that folks, it is Monday, February ninth. Finally happens. After all that talk, all that controversy, all that back and forth, Bad Bunny finally took the stage and he was right ropes. He said, you didn't have to learn Spanish, you just needed to learn how to dance. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. He nailed that we were dancing the whole show.
Speaker 2: We were we were seated, but we were moving. It was hard not to. It was so there was so much joy that came out of his performance. It leaped through the screen and into us. And I don't know how you couldn't have had fun. And yeah, I didn't understand most of what he was singing, and I actually didn't know most of the songs he was.
Speaker 1: Performing and want to go listen to all of them, know exactly. Never stopped moving during that show. It felt good, It felt alive, It felt energetic, it felt authentic. It felt as real as anything you're going to see. I loved that freaking show. Not one word that I understand that the white woman didn't sing.
Speaker 2: It's so true, though, but it just it was so you could tell how meaningful it was and how special it was, And I think that's a good word.
Speaker 3: You just used authentic.
Speaker 2: Yes, we talked about performances and things were performative. This was a hell of a performance. But it was so real and it was so joyful, and it was just celebratory. And I was proud to be an American watching him as an American celebrating all of our differences.
Speaker 1: And he made points about America, but he was not necessarily political like some might expect. We'll get into all that, but that we got it the halftime show from Bad Bunny. It in real time robes. It was hard to figure out a lot of the nuance, a lot of the symbolism, But going back and looking at it now, it was a lot of the same things we had talked about in real time. In One of the first things we said in real time was was that a real wedding? Yeah? I don't know if anybody else thought that, or our first thought was I bet those two got married.
Speaker 2: It looked We thought it was real, because again, it looked real, the way the bride and the groom were looking at each other, the way they were kissing. It didn't look I understand you can hire some really great actors and actresses who can pull it off. But there was something about it that felt real, and turns out it was, so.
Speaker 1: We'll certainly get into that. Yes, a real wedding took place. Also a moment that stood out because it was a moment that maybe I guess has been in a lot of headlines. But there was a moment where he handed one of his Grammys to a little boy, little five year old boy. No it was not that boy.
Speaker 2: But I thought it was Liam. Initially I was like, oh, my goodness, did he get Liam to.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Dad would have been too much that that might have been a massive political statement.
Speaker 1: So we'll explain who that kid was. Again, you did not hear and all reporting. I'm making sure I didn't miss it. There was no reference to Ice.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Damn Why not? You know what? Rose? He had the moment and he could have, but he chose to do something else.
Speaker 2: I give him credit for he chose to put up signs of love and unity and sing about joy and celebrating his community and celebrating.
Speaker 3: Being a part of the Americas. That was the right call.
Speaker 1: I I ahi man, I support him.
Speaker 2: On that.
Speaker 1: If he'd have said something otherwise, I would say, you know what, he had the stage, something's on his heart, he wanted to say it. I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But I really do applaud him taking the moment. I don't think he caved. I don't think any of that stuff no or just didn't want to step in it. I think he did what the moment was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: And I yeah, I think he was practicing what he was preaching. You know, he's been That was what he said at the Grammys. You know, you don't fight hate with hate, you fight it with love. And that's exactly what he did. And that's what he took advantage of with the platform.
Speaker 1: He had and love and it was a major love letter to his not just his country, but almost his home, his house, his neighborhood kind of a thing. So that was very cool. Obviously, we were expecting to see some guest appearances and these were surprising. Not Ricky Martin. I would argue, UH, could see that one and it was really cool. We'll talk about how he set up that set. Didn't see Lady Gaga coming.
Speaker 2: That was we were surprised in fact, do you looked at me? You said, is that Lady Gaga? It took a second. I mean, obviously we know what Lady Gaga looks like.
Speaker 1: We love her song, sounds like everything, and I still like, that doesn't make sense. Why is Lady Gaga there? But then after we gave it, some thought it was freaking brilliant, and we'll get into that. But there were other celebrity appearances Robes. The one we were expecting was Cardi B. She made an appearance, but not how we thought that was. I thought it was it was odd that she was there and not doing the song, right, That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: It was weird too, But she was sitting there right next to She was standing next to Jessica Alba at a casita.
Speaker 1: Right, Jessica Alba, Pedro Pascal, and Carol g all come out of a house. We'll explain why this was a big deal, but it was a very cool part of the show. Now, by most counts, he did twelve to fourteen of his songs up on stage, but he has to blow through this thing. They get thirteen minutes for the show, so he got through all of that in that time. Now, ro it was one of the first things that jumps out when he stepped out, you're always wondering what he is going to be wearing his outfit. Loved it, somewhat understated, sent a message, set a tone, but also there was symbolism that people are still just trying to figure out this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that he'd put on a show that still has people talking and dissecting and trying to figure out what his symbolism meant.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he had this.
Speaker 2: White jersey type but it was a fashionable jersey, white on white and the number sixty four, and everyone's been trying to figure out what the number sixty four represents.
Speaker 1: So we're still not quite sure what sixty four means. But there are several theories at least as to what this means. One is the year his mom was born, nineteen sixty four. That would make some sense. He had an album, His twenty twenty album was the first Latin album in sixty four years to be at the top of the Billboard charts. That's one argument. Another his late uncle played football. That was his late uncle's number. And then this other one robes I don't remember the Hurricane Maria twenty seventeen or have that right? That devastated Puerto Rico ended up fourteen fifteen hundred dead. But there was criticism from the government at the time because the initial death toll was sixty four. People thought, wait, what the hell, there's no way we just got devas sixty four you're saying just six, and so they're one. So don't know officially as of this recording this morning, I have what chills it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like it could be all of those things.
Speaker 2: He could have realized the power of that number and thought, you know what, this has such an important meaning to me for all of these reasons. And wow, who knew sixty four would have that much symbolism attached.
Speaker 1: So he hasn't confirmed, at least that of this recording what it was, but that was there. The other part Rose this, uh, this might have made me the biggest fan of bad money that I have ever been. Who made the damn outfit? ROSEI here all these big designers and who designed who roabes? I freaking love this? I do too.
Speaker 2: In fact, we're traveling right now. What's the first place I said I'd like to go? Wherever we are in the world.
Speaker 1: Do they have a Zara.
Speaker 3: That's what I always say. They have a Zara here, and uh yeah, he wore Zara.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's just it's cool because he he gets it.
Speaker 2: It's it's fast fashion, but it's affordable fashion. And it's just perfect that he would be promoting a brand like that. A Spanish brand, of course, from Espanya.
Speaker 1: Is not great. We are such big Tzara fans at the idea of the stuff we go in and buy. You wouldn't wear that till the super Bowl have time. It doesn't seem elevated enough. If you will. He has his own designers. It was special, but still is a Zara outfit.
Speaker 2: Love.
Speaker 1: It was my favorite part of it. Now he comes out in this's huge set robes and he's essentially replicating or bringing Puerto Rico, in his neighborhood to the super Bowl halftime show. All this grass, the sugar cane fields, the farmers, the hats, all of this was representative of Puerto Rico, of tradition, of culture. I didn't know another another little nugget. He was trying to make it look like the lush green fields and whatnot, and he had limitations because of what they could do. On the field. You can't rip up the field. They got to play a second half, so you're limiting how many things you can put out there. He found a way around that robes that I thought was brilliant. He used actual people dressed as grass.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought that was very clever too. So yeah, he found a way and it really did have an impact. It was stunning to see the way they were able to shoot it. It felt like it didn't feel like he was in the middle of a stadium, you know, it was cool with all the sugar cane fields around him. It really set a cool tone. It was awesome. I loved everything about it.
Speaker 1: And you just mentioned the casita that means little house, but it's been a part. I didn't realize it was a huge part of his residency that he has a casita again replicating where he's from. But the house on stage is used as a house that celebrities emerged from. Who are guests on his show, And he did that again last night with a with guests you weren't expecting.
Speaker 2: It was like, who's showing up to the casita tonight? And yeah, and it's cool that he took that from his residency in Puerto Rico and put it in the halftime show. For folks who are fans, they know this part of his act, and so it was cool that he was able to do it again. And I thought the power lines were powerful because you'd think, why do you have these power lines exploding? And obviously that's been a huge story. We've covered it in Puerto Rico, the rolling blackouts. It's just devastated the tourism industry and certainly the people who live there.
Speaker 3: They just can't trust the power grid.
Speaker 2: So how cool was that that he even brought that part of it into his show.
Speaker 1: It was so thought out, It was thought out. It was yes, symbolic, but I thought it was done well. I mean, like they said.
Speaker 2: Itself, Yeah, it was visually sunning, but also you know what he was. He had subtle messaging. It wasn't in your face, It wasn't polarizing. It was it was basically highlighting and exposing.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it wasn't she or he hit the right toe?
Speaker 1: I agree, completely agree, And so yes, all of that was up there. The power lines you talk about again, the nail salon, barbershop, liquor store, those are just a part of the community hit. What it was parigra, Parigra stands sending up there right the the Puerto Rican icy that ever that is so popular. He had one of those up there. I just it was just he brought it to that stage. We can't say, Rold's, how big of a deal it is for the America's game, America's biggest moment of America's game. And a dude had no problem going up there and singing in nothing but Spanish.
Speaker 3: And he was celebrated.
Speaker 1: Hey, what it was, Robes that we can't why that should be celebrated, That that dude is on that stage. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And coming off of the Grammy wind that he had the weekend before, he was just feeling it. And again, like you said, he could have taken it to another level.
Speaker 3: He could have turned it political. He could have been angry, he could.
Speaker 2: Have shown his power by using his voice to voice opposition, and he didn't.
Speaker 3: He spread love and joy, exactly what we need right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he spread love and joy. The President spread something else in his truth social post about the halftime show. We'll give you the text of that here in just a moment, But Robes, it did two I guess. Two other notes I want to hit here, actually three other notes, Ga, GA, The little boy, and the wedding. First, let's do the wedding. There was a proposal at one point of the show, like a guy down on one knee. That was him, And then you see the wedding robes. This is real and I did. I don't know why we thought immediately it was real when it turned out to tell.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny how you can just tell like I wouldn't have ever thought it unless it felt it, and it felt real. But apparently this couple invited Bad Money to their wedding, and he returned the offer by saying, why don't you come to the super Bowl and get married there?
Speaker 1: This is that's incredible that everybody I don't know, I haven't seen their interviews yet, but they're gonna be everywhere.
Speaker 3: Can't wait. And Bad Money himself signed the marriage license.
Speaker 1: What is rep said that he was the witness for the wedding and signed that is they gotta frame that perfect and well, they have to stay together also because we're all invested in yes and the first baby that's born everything we all need to be there for it. Also, the little boy Lin was was an actor that they used down there. I thought it was a cool moment that he incorporated his grammy speech from just a week ago, right he had it on the little TV screen like the little boy was watching TV. He handed the boy his actual grammy. I loved.
Speaker 2: I think that was my The wedding was probably my favorite moment, but this was my next favorite moment because yes, it was a nod to what he had just won. The little boy reminded every one of Liam. It wasn't Liam, but certainly it brought that visual straight to your mind.
Speaker 3: You couldn't help but think about that.
Speaker 2: And handing this little boy his grammy, I thought was so powerful because of what he represents. Just so many little kids who are waking up and seeing Bad Bunny perform at the Super Bowl and thinking I can do that too, you know, just just representing his all the next generation of Latinos who maybe didn't think this was possible, and he's showing them it is.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was so cool.
Speaker 1: That was Obviously the kid is adorable. He's a child. Actor's name is Lincoln Fox, and he did post something on Instagram saying he's gonna remember this moment all his life, so he confirmed it was him, but just a very cool mom for him to have. Look this lady guy got thing. Yes, it was a surprise. There were no whispers about her, right, No, okay she is. If you start to want to argue about who's can compete with Bad Bunny in terms of global icon status, She's one. Taylor's one. He brought out a star that big as which is a big deal. So the only English we heard song was by the whitest of white women. He brought a really white woman on to sing one of her mainstream hits with Latin fucking flair. Yes, I loved it that he did that. It was so cool, Like they called the salsa version of Die with a smile I owned.
Speaker 2: The only thing that would have made it better is if Bruno was there to to do it with her.
Speaker 1: But I love that rendition.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she's recorded it or if it's available, because I loved it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a great look. I haven't seen the interpretations of that moment and all the symbolism there but robes all the criticism of what he was doing and why he was doing it, And it wasn't sing in English and then so, okay, here's some English for you and a song you love. But I'm gonna put my and my culture spin on it. I thought that was brilliant, and I thought it was brilliant too. And she she basically was there to sing.
Speaker 4: It was for the wedding, correct, like that song was. And he gave him to change clothes exactly. But no, that was another great moment. I will look for that rendition. If it is not, I don't know. If it's all, I will stay here. We will let you hear what the president said, will read his truth social post to you. Also another moment you might have missed, and it did have something to do with politics.
Speaker 1: We'll explain. And at the end he did have a message in Spanish, and we will give you the translation tell you what he said at the end. It started with this, my name is Benito Antonio Martinez Acassio, and I'm here today at Super Bowl sixty. Stay with us, continuing here talking about the halftime show last evening, a triumph, no doubt for bad burning ropes. I didn't know. I don't have her last name, Tony, what's her name? There was a part of his show last night where he featured a little lady handing him a drink. It was a taped piece, it wasn't live on set there, but that had symbolism. I had no Apparently this lady's a little icon in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: So I was actually doing a deep dive on Tonita. And her name is Maria Antonia Kay and yes, she has apparently the last Latino social club in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: We all know the.
Speaker 2: Buenavista Social Club, Like that's the kind of only reference I note of these social clubs. But it's a it's in Puerto Rican in like New York City's largest Puerto Rican enclave in Williamsburg. Didn't know that either. Isn't that a great not just something we don't understand. I learned something today that I didn't know about because he decided to feature.
Speaker 1: This little old lady. That's a that's a nod, that's a tip of the cap. That's for my community, and that's authentic and I love it and that's American and we all learned something like, oh, that's a part of our culture. It's the only one left. I want to go. We know we are going.
Speaker 2: There's no way we're not going, I want to check this place out if it's anything. If he loves it this much, he featured it in his Super Bowl performance, and it's just across the river from us.
Speaker 1: We're going the other thing that as close as well. This is somewhat political. A flag he chose to use a Puerto Rican flag. The traditional flag is red, white and blue. It has a deeper blue, but then there's another one that has a lighter blue to it, and that is one that's more associated with I guess the resistance, associated with independence to a certain degree. But he did use that flag, and that is not It would have been lost on me in the moment. It wasn't lost on Puerto Ricans in the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's just such a subtle nod, you know what I mean. It's not as if it was in your face and it was glaring. He had the United States flag there as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was awesome, And I think that's cool that he did that.
Speaker 2: I think that's something that was a nod to his fellow country mess.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't offensive bad least as far as we can tell, all right, but it was all offensive to the price. Then let's get to this. You knew he was going to say something I did. Look, I saw this last night, so I'm not sure how. Immediately after the super Bowl halftime show he posted this, But this was from President trum who skipped the super Bowl. He said it was too far, too long of.
Speaker 3: A flight, too long of a flight.
Speaker 2: All right, Yes, you showed this to me actually in the middle of the super Bowl the last night. Oh yeah, last night, You're like, Look, Trump's already weighed in. So yes, we saw this last night. But here it is for you in case you missed it. The super Bowl halftime show is absolutely terrible, one of the worst ever. It makes no sense, is an affront to the greatness of America and doesn't represent our standards of success, creativity, or excellence. Nobody understands a word this guy is saying, and the dancing is disgusting, especially for young children that are watching from throughout the USA and all over the world. This show is just a slap in the face to our country, which is setting new standards and records every single day, including the best stock market and four oh one k's in history. There is nothing inspirational about this mess of a halftime show. And watch it will get great reviews from the fake news media because they haven't got a clue of what is going on in the real world. And by the way, the NFL should immediately replace its new ridiculous its ridiculous new kickoff rule. Make America great again. President Donald J. Trump, did we see the same halftime shows?
Speaker 1: What was the fake news thing again?
Speaker 2: The media that we would say it was great because we're fake news and out of touch with reality.
Speaker 1: Ooh, there it is, Okay, there it is from your president. Let's move on the next thing. I would like to mention he did have that message at the end robes bad Bunny, and I was curious in the moment, and I didn't find it until this morning what he actually said. I was like, how powerful was that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How much did he go? And he still didn't take the moment to be political there, No, it.
Speaker 3: Was actually very cool. It was about self empowerment.
Speaker 2: The translation of his final message, my name is Benito Antonio Martinez A Cassio, and if I'm here today at Super Bowl sixty, it's because I never ever stop believing in myself. You should also believe in yourself. You are worth more than you think.
Speaker 1: Trust me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's disgusting. That's so anti American.
Speaker 1: He took it.
Speaker 3: That's what's frustrating.
Speaker 2: You see the president's response and you see bad Money's choice, and you know what, you can feel how you feel. But I just I'm impressed with his restraint and his showmanship.
Speaker 1: He is an impressive artist and has an impressive story. He's an American. I mean, I don't know what else to say. Celebrate it because there's some gyrating on screen. Uh yeah, that's not I hate to do a comparative thing, like really, mister president, you say that about the dancing, but you like the dada. I don't want to do that so you can grab him by the piece. I just I don't want to no, no, no no, I don't want to go to that. No no, no, no no. I want to hold it as just on a it's on the surface to say it's an awful show because there was provocative dancing. Okay, shut down TikTok is what I'm saying. That's the problem with it. What was you sailish? What was the one you said? They got who? What's going on in the real world, like Spanish isn't being spoken? What is the problem because he speaks Spanish. I just don't because he's not American. You know how many performers did we have a problem with the Rolling Stones during halftime? Are you two? How about Cold Play? Hell? Even fucking Rihanna's from Barbados, for God's sake, Like, there's a bunch of non Americans who've been there. So it's the problem. An American is on stage and this is the one we got a problem. But if you make such a good point, the other non Americans spoke English, so that was an American halftime show. But go through the lists of non US citizens, you know what?
Speaker 3: You are so right?
Speaker 1: That is such a wow? Even the weekends Canadian? I mean, come on, right, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: But you know the point is, isn't this so American?
Speaker 2: Is it bringing your culture to the melting pot in the United States America? Isn't that what America is about? Isn't this like one of the most.
Speaker 3: American performances you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: If you consider that it kind of is This is the best example of what the founders wanted. Isn't it a melting pot pot in which this guy has that stage that is actually the most American thing. Yes, it, that's possible. I love, love all of this. But you know what, we didn't mention the other halftime show. Oh and that's not I'm saying that because we didn't go through it, we didn't watch it enough to it shouldn't be a part of what we saw at that halftime.
Speaker 3: That's what they want.
Speaker 2: They wanted to distract and to deflect and to you know, turn people away from a performance because of who he is. But the point being you were actually you had it up while we were walking. We were out watching the the super Bowl, and you headed up and it was just like.
Speaker 3: On stage, lights, smoke. It just was like a classic concert, right.
Speaker 1: And that's fine, and that's what some people wanted, didn't want to see the big show. But yes, every time we looked over it was one individual standing on the dark stage singing, maybe with the guitar or maybe not. No, not the same production value. It's fine, yep, like yourselves out. My favorite moment is when he said God Bless America.
Speaker 3: I loved that.
Speaker 1: This was no doubt my favorite moment and maybe the most emotional moment. God Bless America. He said, it came out of his mouth and then he listed all these American countries. He listed countries from South America. Yes, it's all a part of America. It's not just what's in these forty eight states in this one chunk. I know we have fifty I'm saying the contiguous, but yes, you get what I'm saying. It's not just that. I thought that was great. God bless America's real. Chile, you're a Guay and their flags are out there. I thought that was great.
Speaker 2: It was because we are the Americas. That's North, Central and South America America's I thought that was really cool too. I loved it.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: It was a theme of unity and why can't that be a good things. We're all in this together. We are the Americas. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: We did well. Should mention here how we ended up watching. We were in a bit of a race. Crazy as it sounds, we did not stick around in the Bay Area for the Super Bowl. We were there for several days leaning up. This is what people I think people know that a lot of people do that They go into a party all week leading up to and then they leave when the super Bowl happened. So we got out of there and came to other pastures. Yes, but we end up in a little surfer town in Mexico, desperate to find a bar playing the super Bowl, and we find one Ropes and not a single non American in the room. Is that correct? Yes? I know we need to do better.
Speaker 2: In fact, I told you I love this town because I didn't feel like there were a ton of Americans. Well, we were obviously at a group watching the super Bowl, so it shouldn't be surprising that was all Americans. But we were having fun watching all the folks who work in the restaurant.
Speaker 3: It was an outdoor place.
Speaker 2: Just when Bad Bunny came on, just the pride to see them, their faces light up, dancing as they were bringing people their drinks and their.
Speaker 1: Food and bringing everywhere so sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they knew every word the bartender crazy.
Speaker 2: It was so cute, singing every single word to the songs.
Speaker 3: It oh my, it made my heart happy.
Speaker 1: It was nice to see. But we came here going, Wow, we're gonna that's awesome. We get to go watch the Bad Bunny halftime show around Spanish speakers in Mexico, not.
Speaker 2: Watch of white people, no any but they were all enjoying it. People were moving and swaying as white people tend to do as much as they can sway.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Sway. Folks. We enjoyed the show. I hope you did, and it was one of unit. After all of that, he was the one. I always go back to Michelle Obama's line, when they go low, we go high. And he had an opportunity to combat a lot of hate coming his way and he did it not with hate. But bad Bunny is the one trying to bring us together. All right, folks, we always appreciate you just spending some time with us. Expect a whole lot more on our feed today for my dear Amy Robot. I'm t J. Holmes, and we will talk to y also