Speaker 1: It's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan number two.
Speaker 2: What's up everybody?
Speaker 3: Happy weekend, Excited to be back on another Best Bits. It is Cmafest in Nashville, which is the craziest weekend. And if my voice sounds a little different, because yesterday was a long one from Riverfront Stage to Nissan Stadium.
Speaker 4: It was crazy.
Speaker 3: And if you've never gotten to experience Cmafest, you should definitely come to Nashville for one year because I'm telling you as a country music fan, it's just a really good time. But we've got a lot of things to talk about on the Best Bits this week. Before I dive into just the Bits, make sure you check out Best Bits Part one with Scuba Steve He's on this weekend. We spilled some more tea from the celebrities softball game and talked about our favorite moments. Of course, I shared some bad blood that's happened recently, and if you know the Taylor Swift song, you know what I'm talking about. And Scuba shared a crazy story about something that involves a lot of money and a toll ticket.
Speaker 4: So all good stuff over there.
Speaker 3: Let's for now, Let's go ahead and show y'all the best segments. This week we started doing a new segment called Scuba Steve Suggests, and this week he suggested an investigation into somebody on the show.
Speaker 2: He got a.
Speaker 3: Phone call from a number that was something on the show, but it wasn't their name that pops up, so he wanted to know what the heck was going on in Boy did he end up calling somebody out number seven.
Speaker 5: This can be anything.
Speaker 6: It's our executive producer, Scuba Steve, and he gets to tell us to talk about whatever, Scuball, what would you like us to talk about today?
Speaker 7: Well, this time it's time for an investigation.
Speaker 8: Okay, I suggest we figure out what's going on here. So I got a new phone and I'm transferring over the contacts and in the middle will be doing that. My phone rings. I recognize the phone number, but I don't know the name. That's a that's you know, you get a phone call, it says like a name as tied to it.
Speaker 5: Or yes, sometimes there's a.
Speaker 7: Name on it, like like maybe this person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not always, but sometimes yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: So I look at the name and I don't recognize it. I answer the phone. I know who the person is. We have a conversation, and afterward, I don't say anything to this person afterwards to do some digging in the family tree, try to figure out if this name is tied to that person. I don't see anyone in the branches with this name. The name is Oscar Pavella and the phone number is two one oh three.
Speaker 3: Number.
Speaker 5: I saw his face start to crack when you said that.
Speaker 6: Number on it on Oscar Pavela, the name that shows up on your phone.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so why is that? And who's paying for your bill? You're a grown man, forty one years old. What's going on?
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you. I pay for my bill, Thank you very much.
Speaker 10: Oscar Favella is my buddy from college that he works for a telephone company, and I am on his family plane.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're not paying well, you're not paying for your own bill. And I can't believe you're on a family plan of somebody.
Speaker 11: From college and you're held forty one.
Speaker 6: Somebody else's family plan. Wow, some dude that works in a phone company.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Why but because back in the day when there was limited data and rates or whatever, I get unlimited and.
Speaker 9: I pay fifteen dollars a month for my phone.
Speaker 5: So now it's unlimited for everybody all the time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but it's only fifteen dollars, and it ain't fifteen dollars. If you get on your own plan.
Speaker 5: And he leaves that, you get to say on Oscar's phone plan.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so it's it's Oscar, his wife, his two kids, I think his sister and her family, his parents, me and my wife are all on that plan.
Speaker 5: Your wife's an Oscar Favella's phone plan too.
Speaker 11: Yeah, all.
Speaker 9: Shout out Oscar Favella. Hey, listen, guys.
Speaker 10: If you need a phone and you you need a verizing phone down in Corpus Christi, Texas, Oscar Favella is your man.
Speaker 11: We've never heard this story.
Speaker 6: Of all the ways that he tries to sometimes save sometimes steal money, this has never been one of his stories. We're like, this is what I'm doing. I steal my in lawst netflix. We never heard about Oscar Cavella un till right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Is that embarrassing to you?
Speaker 9: No, it's not embarrass all guys, he never brought it up. What is there to bring up?
Speaker 12: Is Oscar in trouble?
Speaker 9: Did you blee that?
Speaker 6: It wasn't bleeping Morgan, We've talked to you about that. Your parents pay your what bill?
Speaker 3: It's yeah, my car insurance on the same family plan.
Speaker 5: Lunchbox gave you crap. I just want to bring this up.
Speaker 11: Oh good point.
Speaker 5: He gave you gave Morgan.
Speaker 9: Crap because their parents paid for it. That's embarrassing.
Speaker 6: It's still one saving money. Like you're paying fifteen dollars. Somebody's basically paying for your phone bill.
Speaker 3: No, they're not.
Speaker 9: He nothing comes out of his pocket.
Speaker 5: I pay for my own phone fifteen dollars.
Speaker 11: Yep.
Speaker 5: He's letting you use his name to save money.
Speaker 9: I'm not using his name.
Speaker 11: You are because the number is under his name.
Speaker 12: Family, you're using his name.
Speaker 6: You're literally using your phone is Oscar Todell I called Scuba Steve. Yeah.
Speaker 10: It's weird though, because sometimes if he forgets to pay the bill and like it's like it connects me to customer service and I'm like, you call him Oscar bro, and they're like and then well I can't call him, so then I have to get on Facebook, like dude, pay.
Speaker 9: The freaking bill, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 10: And I'll send his wife and message like Brandy, come on, get on Oscar for.
Speaker 6: You to use assistance by somebody. Morgan's using assistance by her parents.
Speaker 10: Getting paid for She's parents don't need paying for your stuff when you're fell.
Speaker 5: It doesn't need to hook you up with a family plan. You're not a family with him.
Speaker 9: Now. We're like boys, we're like brothers.
Speaker 3: You're ten years older than me and you still can't figure out how to.
Speaker 4: Have your own phone plan.
Speaker 9: I know how to go into the store, and you get it.
Speaker 10: I mean, you're thirty one years old and you're twenty nine and you had to walk.
Speaker 5: Hey, mom, why'd you just make up a number?
Speaker 9: Because she said you're ten years older than me?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 10: So I did the math. Forty one minus ten is thirty one. I know Kansas people can't do that over there. Okay, now see he's pivoting. But how do you feel about the investigation? Do you feel like you understand now?
Speaker 8: I understand now, but I still don't understand why he would do that. So when your kids get older and they start getting cell phones, so they can be added to this family plan as well.
Speaker 6: Hopefully and on the plan with him?
Speaker 9: Oh probably, since I was.
Speaker 10: Twenty five, like he used to work.
Speaker 9: Him and his dad used to run a furniture store over ten years. Yeah, way over ten years.
Speaker 10: And then he quit the furniture store because it wasn't big enough, and then he went to work for a Verizon and boom.
Speaker 9: Now he's like a manager.
Speaker 13: Now he's like a manager who sometimes forgets to face.
Speaker 5: Like, Oscar, you the man. You let this guy stand your plant for almost twenty years at twenty twenty three.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what year did.
Speaker 11: You do this?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 9: Probably, I mean it had to be sixteen years ago.
Speaker 5: Oscar, You the man, lunchbox a year, a liar and a cheater.
Speaker 10: And no, I didn't I didn't cheat, I didn't do I'm doing nothing that is illegal.
Speaker 5: You're right, You're right.
Speaker 6: Just you can't hold anybody accountable for doing things that are what kids do because the parents are people looking out for them. This is what your parent would do with you to put join their cell phone.
Speaker 9: Plan if your parents papers you're an adult.
Speaker 5: Oscar, you daddy.
Speaker 1: For now on, it's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan.
Speaker 3: Number two Chris Kraba of Dashboard Confessional stuffed by the studio. He performed his song Vindicated, which you may know from Spider Man two became the theme song for that movie, and he talked about how that all happened and he didn't really planned to write a theme song for that movie, but it did happen.
Speaker 2: Now it's a massive song, and it.
Speaker 3: Was just really cool to hear from him, and some of our listeners thought he is one of the smartest people we've had in the studio. So here's that interview, but make sure you go to YouTube to check out his awesome performance.
Speaker 1: Number six kids. So Bobby Bones Show interview in case you didn't know.
Speaker 6: And Dashboard Confessional one of my jams back in the early two thousands. So Chris is here from Dashboard going on towards Counting Crows and you get tickets at Dashboard Confessional dot com. But this is super cool to me. Let me play some of these songs. Vindicated. I mean, that's Spider Man for sure. Eddie remember that song?
Speaker 11: Yes, I do, of course.
Speaker 6: Thank that's always awesome, stolen our hands down.
Speaker 11: So it's super cool for us.
Speaker 6: Here he is Chris Carabba, lead singer, the guy from Dashboard Confessional on the Bobby Bones Show.
Speaker 1: Now, Chris Carabba of Dashboard Confessional.
Speaker 11: Chris, it's really good to see you.
Speaker 9: Good to meet you.
Speaker 14: Man, and it's good to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Been a fan for a long time.
Speaker 15: Well, I've been doing it a long time. It's suddenly occurring to me.
Speaker 6: Now you still I don't know, look twenty four, it's weird. Do you have an aged moisturizer?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Hey, so I have a lot of questions, especially about when you first started, because there are a few people to me. Dave Grohlfoo Fighter started that by himself. Five for Fighting, was a single guy, then turned into a band Dashboard Confessional similar thing. Right, You started this as a project by yourself and then made a band The Panic of the Disco Similar? Is that all kind of am I right on that story?
Speaker 15: You write about the fact that it was started by myself and eventually became a band. But I think in my mind in the early days, I know it was true. I was in other bands that were proper bands. I was in one particular called or This Seems Forever that was I thought the main thing, you know, and it was only Dashboard was only a side project. But all that to say, the side project was all my friends are on tour and all of their bands wouldn't be fun if whenever they came home, we could all play together. So I'll just call this thing that I'm doing by myself a band name, so it doesn't feel like preclusive, and it feels inclusive. My friends had come on stage if they're home, and that's not exactly what happened, but it was my original conception for it.
Speaker 6: So the band is dead again. By the way, your record, your on plug records are my favorite. I just loved it so much, and you know, there's a lot to it. So how many people are actually in dashboard confessional? Like the dashboard? How many people in the band? Well on this tour, so it's all different, right, you are the central figure always.
Speaker 15: Well, I guess I've been a constant, and there's been quite a few long standing members, and there's been people that when they you know, they leave to go and do other and onto other musical projects or other life product and then they come back. It's kind of an open invitation to come on back. So like, for example, Scott our bass player has been in the band. I think for this will be twenty years. That's a long time, you know. But sometimes I go out by myself, so Scott's not there.
Speaker 6: So when you're starting this project, and you're doing it by yourself. Are you recording it on because everybody has a bedroom story or a garage story?
Speaker 5: Like, what did that? Actually?
Speaker 6: What literally does that mean? Are you recording on like some four track player? Is that the first dashboard where you're just sitting there singing acoustically into a crappy closet or microphone?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 15: It was a little task scam four track that I bought it a tag sale.
Speaker 14: That was what I started with.
Speaker 15: That's not what the record was, but it wasn't much better than that. That first record was recorded in a closet, but you know, it had you know, pham patting on the wall.
Speaker 14: So it felt cool, it felt real.
Speaker 15: But the early demos I recorded a lot of them in my van, in the back of the van, like just a single boombox. I can not a multi track.
Speaker 14: So I have a.
Speaker 15: Tape of me running through what would be the first record, which is called the Swiss Army Romance. I ran through it all just to see what a cool running order would be, and I found that tape and it's the running order that we used.
Speaker 6: Was that about two thousand, year two thousand, Yeah, it was two thousand, So you have this tape, and was your expectation to go out and tour this for Dashboard to exist, or again, was it just a fun thing that your friends could join, like I what was kind of the motivation behind creating this music with just yourself.
Speaker 15: I guess it was a glorified art project or something.
Speaker 14: I think.
Speaker 5: Did you expect it to ever be heard by people?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 14: I expected to.
Speaker 15: What I'd hoped to do was put out the one recording and maybe get lucky and press one thousand if I could afford it, and sell them how and sell them to people like from the van from the van, yeah, and sell them to people at shows. And I had one tour booked and it was I think this one window where further seems forever wasn't going out, and it looked like just this neat opportunity to go out and travel like just by literally by myself. But I think it was eleven dates and then I never went home.
Speaker 6: When did you start to feel traction, even the lightest bit of traction where it's wow, people actually like understanding and relating to this music.
Speaker 15: I was surprised to find it pretty early on. And I don't mean that there was many people at the show. There weren't, but if there were five, all five seemed to get it. Whatever that thing was, they seemed to get it. And I was really shocked by that because I thought I was doing something unfamiliar in the setting of like the punk rock scene. It was definitely unfamiliar just to hav an acoustic guitar, and I looked like a hardcore kid, but it didn't sound like that kind of stuff. But it didn't sound like something you'd play in a coffee shop either, So I didn't feel like I would have any place where I would find I was surprised to find like bund of people so quickly.
Speaker 6: The term emo was tossed around like crazy, everything's emo in different ways. Was that term prevalent when you started to create this kind of music or do you feel like you were one of the first ones to, you know, really coin that in music?
Speaker 15: Well, I guess no. I didn't feel like I was one of the first ones. Excuse me to coin it, certainly not I thought it was. I thought it was a misnomer, almost like and not. You know that became a four letter word later to some people. I'm not sure it ever did to me. But in the early days, you know, it was I thought, I thought it wasn't deferential to the people that I listened to that did that music that was already called emo because there's been a whole wave of it, a proper wave of like a musical generation of like two to five years already. And so at first I was like, this is weird that they would call me that, and I couldn't quite figure it out, but realized that the thing was evolving, whatever that scene was, was evolving to include I guess me and my friends.
Speaker 6: Did you feel like that, because again, your music was at a time when I was, you know, nineteen twenty twenty one years old, so that music was very important in my overall musical growth from where I was as a kid to now.
Speaker 5: It was right in that timeframe of being in college.
Speaker 6: Did you find that your music though, was different to people, even though it was still kind of punk rock, but just because it was an acoustic that made it feel a bit emo to people, that was a softer feel.
Speaker 15: Oh it's emo, it feels emo, I mean, but I guess because of all those obvious reasons that it's softer, it's a different delivery it's pretty passionate and it's got the It has the benefit of the kind of passion you'll put into something when you think you're anonymous almost you know, it couldn't conceive that people would really be listening to this, so I didn't really hold back for fear of how I might feel doing it in front of people.
Speaker 6: What did your band think as you started to pop off and you're by yourself that you were in was that tricky?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 15: Actually, well, it became tricky or later when we were two bands operating at the same time once they had a different singer and we navigated that really well too, to their credit, but in the beginning they were the guys that were like, you got to go do this. And as a matter of fact, that one of the first shows I ever had was that was a phish not I guess unofficially a dashboard show. Was because the bass player of my other band, Chad from Further seem Sebber, said come over here, we're playing a festivals further Was. He says, there's a guy kind of doing what you're doing. We should go check it out. But the guy ended up being me.
Speaker 14: It was a ruse.
Speaker 15: He just threw me up in the middle of a tent and there was you know, thirty people there.
Speaker 5: And that's funny. Then that's supportive, even supportive at the same time.
Speaker 15: And they're still my best friends that I have. So I'm grateful that they saw where I was going and it wasn't where they wanted to go.
Speaker 14: They were these all these.
Speaker 15: Songs were presented to them as options for us to play in that band, and they were right. They didn't fit that band. They were close, but they weren't on the money.
Speaker 5: Were you reluctant when success and fame started?
Speaker 14: Was confused?
Speaker 15: Reluctant?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I think I was a bit reluctant. I think I remain a bit reluctant. It wasn't exactly the plan, but it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Do you get nervous? Stays right at all? Before shows?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I got to now, how am I doing?
Speaker 5: Are you doing great? I would never think you were nervous at all.
Speaker 15: You're kidding now, No, I'm not. No, No, I get I have a weird roiling of energy that I'm trying to contain when I go up there. And when I was newer and younger and greener, I would find it to be alarming. It would like set off almost a panic attack. But now I understand it's just adrenaline, excitement and kind of like the.
Speaker 14: Love of it. But for a while it was hard to let it go.
Speaker 6: Was there ever a time that you questioned should I keep doing this? Not because it wasn't working, but because it really started to work.
Speaker 15: Yeah, things got a little hairy there, like where we had to where we had to have like security guys and things like that. And I was all thinking, and I thought this was a really inclusive scene I was from. And it remained so it wasn't any It wasn't people trying to like, you know, rip my clothes off or our clothes off or anything like that.
Speaker 14: But it's just like a lot of.
Speaker 15: People with a lot of stories that they wanted to do, things they wanted to share with us, personal things, what have you. And I remember like not being able to go I don't know, to the to the mall or whatever it was that you would do, you know, running errands became this weird thing and and the suggestion was made to that we that we take security out. That was the weirdest thing ever. The nicest people I've ever met. Were these giant security guys, but it was it was not a good fit for me. I was like, this is bringing more attention. I can put a baseball cap on? How about that?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 6: Can you go out and put a hat on and just live a somewhat normal life.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm not on MTV anymore, and neither's MTV.
Speaker 14: I don't think you know there's yes.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, that's I've been able to find the thing I'd hope for in the beginning, which was this this path to be able to play music for and with people without having to be have my life totally disrupted.
Speaker 5: What was the first video of yours that was on MTV?
Speaker 14: What was it?
Speaker 15: It was screaming in fidelities?
Speaker 5: Yeah, was that weird for you to see?
Speaker 6: And there's a you know, there's a line and you're we'll talk about the Tory doing with the counting Crows, but massive, I'm a massive hand accounting crows.
Speaker 5: And Adam Durretz was in We talked to him for a while.
Speaker 6: But there's a line even in mister jones'es, like when I look at the television, I want to see me staring right back at me. Now, that line is him wanting to see him on TV? Yeah, if that is that line you at all?
Speaker 15: No, it's not at all, it's not at all.
Speaker 14: God, I wish it was.
Speaker 15: I might have I might have had a different experience having seen it. But I remember being like, I mean, I was excited to tell like my friends, you know, but it was not a thing I walked in with. I got used to it really quick, though, Like I'd get excited and to kind of like, uh, think about new video ideas. I got excited about the whole, that whole corner of what music could be, and it became really fun.
Speaker 6: Do you think you would be happier or would have been then happier if you only had mild success where you could support yourself create your art, but not because there was a point when you just became so popular it became pop. Your music didn't change, but you became so popular it became pop.
Speaker 5: Was that the hardest time for you? Or was it awesome?
Speaker 14: It was awesome. It was so great.
Speaker 15: I didn't really have to change I did, you know. We grew and our music did evolve, but I wasn't being made to change, And more and more people were were gravitating towards it.
Speaker 14: It was beautiful.
Speaker 15: I was maybe a little tired, like physically tired. It's a big world to get to, you know. And I think there was a point where we were really doing I don't know how many shows it was, but it was like three hundred days out on the road, and that was a long stretch. I was a good couple or three years that we did that kind of schedule. That was the only part that was really tough to grapple with.
Speaker 5: Was it weirder to be home than on the road.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, maybe maybe always will be and maybe always was. So so that that's something I think was probably good for me in my life.
Speaker 11: Where did you grow up?
Speaker 15: Well, I kind of grew up in Connecticut and then Florida and found music and all that once I moved to Florida.
Speaker 6: And what about Florida, Like, were you exposed to a scene there that opened it up for you or were you already searching for it?
Speaker 5: And I don't know, it's warmer, so you're out. I don't know why Florida.
Speaker 15: Well, I think there was there was a scene. There was a music scene, of course, there was one in Connecticut where I lived. I just didn't know about it. I was a little bit too young, didn't know an older kid on the block that might tell me there was a Youth of Today show or something. But when I got down to Florida, a couple things happened. Was I was really into skateboarding. And this is pre you know, super popularity of skateboarding. Still get beat up for having looking like you do it. But I found other people like that that were into it, and I hadn't really found that many people like that where I'd grown up in Connecticut. But it also rains like it's torrential rain in the in the afternoons there a certain time of the year.
Speaker 14: So we would just like sit in a.
Speaker 15: Car or at the skate shop with music playing, and I'd pick everybody's brains about it. And then they said, you know, there's they're playing here. Whoever it was, you know, we started going to shows and so it was sort of that just typical youth culture thing. There a friend with a driver's license, that kind of thing. Well, like I said, my driver's license, I just don't have a car. So a friend with a car and and the kind of kind of meshing of those two worlds. The surf and skate world with the music world. They're they're really entwined, and that's how I found the music scene.
Speaker 6: Really, my assumption is it could be an unfair assumption that you may have been a shy kid.
Speaker 5: If you were a shy kid, how in the world did you become a front man? Wow? Like, what was that proble?
Speaker 15: It was not my favorite thing it was, I should say it was not my It was not an endeavor I went into looking for how to be a front man. I just wanted to play with people, So I guess kicking and screaming is how I got dragged into being a front man. To be quite honest with you, I was really really interested in writing songs. It's just an okay guitar player, just an okay singer. I was pretty good at at arranging music, so so I was getting in these bands and and help and felt like I was integral in the band. But I was almost always just playing guitar. That's what I really wanted to do. But I wasn't like a ripper or anything like that, so I thought were contributing as a songwriter.
Speaker 14: I had a place.
Speaker 6: Then, who goes, okay, Chris, we need you to sing. We've heard you sing like a background vocals.
Speaker 14: That's how it happens that parts.
Speaker 15: Could you somebody do a harmony there, and I'd just do it, and it was there, you know, And and then you come in with your songs and you're singing. I was singing the songs I was writing to the singer, to the rest of the band. And finally somebody got annoyed with the time it took to make somebody else do it. Just you do it fine, And after a while of that, you become a singer in the band, not the singer. This band that I was in, Vacant Andy's it's where I learned who I really cut my teeth on all things musical, certainly on all things band like how to be in a band. But there was at one point three singers, and then there was for the length of the band there was two singers, so there was no front man. We were trading off songs, and we were always singing each other songs, singing on each other songs.
Speaker 14: Excuse me.
Speaker 15: It was later when when I got into further and those guitar players are like bananas, and as writers, they were bananas, And I was kind of like, why do they want me in this band? And it was simply because they liked my voice, which was weird because it was never the thing I expected anybody to I thought it was just something that I got to do, not that something anybody would want me to do necessarily. So that's kind of how it came to pass that I we got comfortable being at the center of things.
Speaker 6: You didn't demand like I always demanded attention, Like I demand attention. I'm a type a personality. I want to be in the front. Now you were the opposite.
Speaker 14: It was the opposite.
Speaker 15: By okay, I think the opposite thing might have been a little bit of like a learned response, right because I was I was a shorter kid. I have this weird birthmark when my hair grows two colors, so like it's like it's a blonde right in the middle. Like and I was kid of the eighties, so like Gremlins is out, so I'm getting like called stripe and all this stuff and beat up for it or whatever, picked on for it, and I realized, like, okay, I better figure out how to blend. And and maybe that that was I learned that lesson too deeply. But once I realized I could be more who I wanted to be out in the middle of that stage. I would save it all four then and really just be the guy and have it be the key that turned you into the whatever. It is, the real you. I've heard it said, you know, oh, who are you up there? It's like I don't even know you or whatever. It's like, No, that's kind of like I feel like that's me up there.
Speaker 6: So you start this project in two thousand, would you say that Vindicated is this song that people would know general public? You think Vindicated your biggest song general Yeah, it's got to be, right, I would think so, but I'm a little too close to it.
Speaker 15: If only because it's in a Marvel movie. Yeah, it's got to be the most I don't know whether, like I never remember like charts and things like that and what songs were successful by certain metrics, but just that the most people had to have heard it in the world from that.
Speaker 5: Man, that's what jam. You know, you have your guitar. Could you give us a little bit of Vidicated?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 5: All right, that's awesome. That still so, I mean, it also takes me back. There are certain songs that you hear and again that was a really big It's like when you're like a young adult and music matters so much to you, Like I can remember where I was like when I would hear that song, and I remember being in the movie that was a Curse and Dunst version right on, Spider Man. Did you ever did you meet them?
Speaker 15: I did, but don't they usually called the Toby Maguire version. But yes, I'm back, yell.
Speaker 5: You know what I guess. I think.
Speaker 11: That's funny.
Speaker 6: Yes, I tell yes that did you write that song for the movie? Because we talked with Adam Durretz and County Crows about the song one in the Shrek and he wrote that for the movie. Yeah, did you write that for the movie exactly?
Speaker 15: And I was like, actually, I hadn't one. And I were just talking about that about accidentally in love the other day and it got me thinking, you know, I submitted a different song to the production when when they when they asked me about being a part of the soundtrack, and it was not meant to be. The single wasn't meant to be in the movie, and I really.
Speaker 14: Liked the song. It still hasn't come out.
Speaker 15: But then they but the cool thing was they let me see the movie while it was sort of still like it wasn't quite dailies, but it was like the graphics weren't rendered yet. It would suddenly just be like in animation in the middle of it, like a holding place for like something to come later. It was really a neat way to see the movie, and it was the story of it was really in my mind as I left there.
Speaker 14: They're just like sort of like the conflict.
Speaker 15: Of wanting being pulled in different directions, wanting things you can't quite allow yourself to have or aren't allowed to have. And I got to our last day to that run was in Hawaii and we're all going to go surfing, and I picked up the guitar and it just like kind of spilled out, and I was like, you know, what's funny? Where did that song come from? And I was like, oh, well, there's this line dangles on a string. Maybe it's from Spider Man. So just that bit of it made me call home and just be like, would you want to hear this other song? I know there's no time, and so just like that, it was written. Maybe an hour or two.
Speaker 14: Later, I called I played it for Leah Vollak.
Speaker 15: Over the phone. She was the head of Sony Music for Pictures, and she was like, give me a minute, get me a tape of that. Send her a tape. She's like, could you actually I think she made She's like, could you demo that today? It's like pre like home studio kind of things like that. And we were able to do it at the club that we were playing that night, and they got that tape home and somehow the next they were like, could you fly home tomorrow record this. If so, it'll be in the movie, it'll be the single.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 14: Okay, well yes, we'll be there.
Speaker 5: How big was MySpace in your career?
Speaker 14: It was so big?
Speaker 15: Oh my god, it was so big. It was the biggest prob possibly the biggest thing in my career except for Napster. Those were probably two biggest factors in my career.
Speaker 6: Will you explain because I was big on my Space? Will you explain on MySpace? As to some of our younger listeners.
Speaker 11: Well, it.
Speaker 15: Was like I do it yourself Facebook that was run by renegades. I guess it was this. It was a it's a social network because the first one I remember that you that had the framework of what would really come in social networks like really was very much like Facebook in a lot of ways. But the way it wasn't was it was seemed to be music and art related really heavily, and you could skin your own page right and you could, so everybody's user interface sort of looked like their thing. You know, who you were going to see, and there was I think the reason it got so big was was people were really hungry to just communicate a boy the things they felt passionate about, and no adults were really looking.
Speaker 6: And was it they were using your music as their song because you could put it. You had a song, you put a song up as is your song? Yeah, you put people came to your page, was like this is the kind of music I like, You're forced to listen to it? Yep, So is that what happened with your music? People just started sharing it.
Speaker 15: But in that way, yeah, like if you're gonna if we're gonna be friends, you got to know this about me. It's a big thing, big way to open the door, an easy way to open the door, great shorthand And we really benefited from from timing on that one that we were that were for so many people we were writing some I was writing I guess something that they that felt to them like a way to explain themselves, and MySpace was.
Speaker 14: The way they where they could do that.
Speaker 6: And then MySpace got all weird and you get viruses, and then it just went away.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was really a Nabster too.
Speaker 6: But Napster kind of needed to go away because when I was a kid, I would go, I can't believe these artists, they want us to pay for this music. I was so offended. Yeah, I was like, I can't. I hate mentalica, I hate all They were obviously right because you are creating an art and you deserve to be able to live your life based on the art that people are consuming.
Speaker 5: But at the time, as a kid, oh, I was so mad. I was like, I deserve to have this free and I download every song. I would just hit the letter D.
Speaker 6: For example, I download every artist started with D, including Dashboard Confession, all of it. So for you guys, again, music being shared by like minded people. I gotta imagine that was massive for you guys. For that brief period, Napster was just killing it.
Speaker 14: Look and I.
Speaker 15: Will have an unpopular opinion. I loved Napster made my career. Sure, it like took away the livelihood I might have had but wouldn't have. So I can only speak to how it affected me. And I was I had a record made, but no distribution, and later when I got on like a small label, they didn't really have distribution. And then when we were popping off, the label that we were on next was having like a war with their distribution. And that whole time I could still get my music into people's hands, and I remember being like, well, we can't get like I literally couldn't get my records from the distribution place when we when we were at that stage where you should have been able to could not physically get records. So I'd just be like, look, just buy it later if you want to, but maybe get it now so we can sing along together. So but where I do think that it did us a service societally, I guess as a CDs were too expensive. They were artificially priced in such a way that was that was harmful to the consumer, I think, and so Knabster, if if nothing else, was sort of the great equalizer.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but it took away a lot of people's paycheck.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean you shouldn't have it free, you should have it reasonably priced.
Speaker 6: Well, I was looking at your catalog of songs, you know, Stolen with such a massive song for you as well.
Speaker 5: When you hit this stage of.
Speaker 6: Your career was when Stolen. I mean you you're You're a monster by the time Stolen hits. As far as people come into your shows, I mean, I don't know that there was ever for me a time to see dashboard and to see it so large and everywhere you went was this. I don't know when I say Stolen in that song, where does that put you in your mind about that point?
Speaker 14: Oh, I can tell I got it.
Speaker 15: I got a chill, even with how quickly it took me back to think about it. You know this, I lived in basically a beach town, in a tourist town, and so like when the easy end of the season would come, you'd kind of get your city back, you'd kind of get your town back. But also like everything you loved about the exciting now of it all when season was happening and you're a young person and there's you know, action, activity, girls, new friends, all kinds of things that felt familiar to me as I was transitioning now into like another place professionally where it's like, Okay, I wish I could go back there, but everything ends, and I had this kind of I was conflating the two things, like the beautiful temporary nature of it all and how it's all fleeting, it's all transitional, and like I just it was kind of a nod to like, I think I need to acknowledge that I love love it both ways. I love it when everything's happening, and then I love it when it's really peaceful, and I always miss the other thing. Whichever place I'm in, I miss the other place.
Speaker 5: So grass is greener, it's.
Speaker 15: More like, remember that it really isn't greener. It's special in both places, so.
Speaker 5: It's dead on both grasses of dead or.
Speaker 11: No hope?
Speaker 5: Would you mind playing a little bit of stolen for us?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: The melody there? Do you write melody first or you a lyrics guy?
Speaker 15: I think it's concurrent. Most of the time. I think I do the sort of a babbel as I'm singing and catch a word here and there, and then I'll spend some time on the lyrics and then singo lyrics. Melody lyrics is sort of hand and glove.
Speaker 5: How fast do that's all come out of you?
Speaker 15: You know, I always think about this. You know, those songs that you wrench on and you really just really really are nitty gritty on the minute sho of it all that take weeks and months or whatever, by rights, those are the ones that should really connect with people. But it's the ones that take you know, they come in a flash, they connect with people. And this is one of the latter.
Speaker 6: Your band dashboard professional accounting Crows doing a whole lot of shows together, or fifty shows.
Speaker 5: How'd you guys come together to you know, get on this tour?
Speaker 15: Oh, we've been talking about this tour for a really long time. So Adam and I have been close friends for It's hard to believe, but like maybe it could be like fifteen years or more, maybe twenty, I don't know. He's kind of been my favorite thing that's happened about my career. People I've met, experiences I've had, they're sort of always connected right to him. And and he's my lyrical here and my musical hero too. So it's a beautiful kind of thing that is constantly surprising to me that we're that that, Like I still listen to records like, he's not that guy, Like he said, this is not the guy I'm gonna pal around with later. It's a whole different guy when I listen to music. So how did it come together? We've been trying to we've been talking about it, trying to get schedules, trying to get albums to line up, and we're.
Speaker 11: Here and it did it?
Speaker 14: Did?
Speaker 5: I feel like people need to be quiet at these shows. Between Dashboard and County Crows, people just did to shut up and enjoy the show.
Speaker 11: Would you agree?
Speaker 15: Well, I'm gonna sing along to them, so no.
Speaker 6: People are talking. I don't care if they sing along, but they're talking enough talking. Yeah, if you're playing, because I'm again massive Counting Crows fan too, Like look when he sits down to the piano.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, hush yeah, shut up everybody.
Speaker 14: Yeah, this is it. It's happening.
Speaker 5: Yes right now, Chris, I really appreciate you coming by me.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 6: We talked about the tour a little earlier, but I'm gonna say it again. The Counting Crows and Dashboard Confessional the Banshee Season tour. You can get tickets at Dashboard Confessional dot com. It's over fifty dates and it's all the hits. You play all the hits.
Speaker 15: Yeah, man, I know there.
Speaker 6: Sometime you like I don't, and you're gonna hear. You're gonna hear all the hits. Chris big fan, Thank you so much for coming. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Everybody there is Dashboard Confessional.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 3: Number two, Amy shared that her kids wanted to know more about gold diggers, how they happen, how to avoid them, you know all that stuff.
Speaker 2: And instead of like teaching, she's.
Speaker 3: Like, you know what, whyn't you go ask Alexa about this? And she shared what Alexa told her kids. She took notes, so you guys can also get a good laugh out of Alexa's teaching lesson about gold diggers.
Speaker 6: Number five, your kids are asking you how do they even know about gold diggers?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 13: I have no idea, but out of nowhere, my son just says like, hey, mom, uh, how do you can how do you tell if someone's a gold digger?
Speaker 12: Was this exact question?
Speaker 5: Did you go context?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 12: Well, I just was like went to my usual default and said.
Speaker 4: Go ask.
Speaker 5: So what did Alecsa tell them?
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 13: To spot a gold digger, you watch out for someone who asks about what you own, like what you earn, your stock options early on in your relationship. This is specifically answering how to tell if someone is a gold digger.
Speaker 5: Does he have a girl that likes someone he's wondering if she's a gold digger.
Speaker 13: No, No, there was something that's about to say, but he asked me, do not say this on the Bubby Bone Show.
Speaker 12: So I can't say what I was about to say, but I can say this.
Speaker 13: See how they respond when you ask them about their career. For example, if they're happy to stay in a low level job or not have one at all, they maybe look for someone to fund their lifestyle.
Speaker 6: So if you're wondering if someone's a gold digger, you're supposed to go, so what do you feel like you're gonna do with your career? And they're like, I'm chill right here. I don't make much, I don't like it that much, but I'm cool.
Speaker 13: Gold digger, but I want to live this champagne life.
Speaker 5: But I also want to have got it right.
Speaker 13: She even suggested, if you want to test out your partner, give them an inexpensive but thoughtful, light hearted gifts, kind of like a flower. And if they're a gold digger, they'll dismiss it.
Speaker 11: Cubic circonia.
Speaker 5: Well, no, that's a trick them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, to make them think it's real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a trick them. Let's not to test them. Let's a trick them.
Speaker 13: Also, be cautious if your partner often has sudden emergencies that cause them to need money from you, which is a typical excuse used by gold diggers.
Speaker 5: That's a swim, that's a scam. Yeah, yeah, what else you got?
Speaker 13: The true definition of a gold digger, in case anybody knows, it's a person who is in a romantic relationship, marriage, or whatever to a wealthy person is and their primarily motivated by the desire for money, like they just want to be that's all they want to Yeah, and I have tips to avoid. Okay, gold diggers, don't pretend.
Speaker 12: To be rich.
Speaker 5: But what if you are, should you?
Speaker 13: Well that's the next one is, don't show off, got it? Don't mention that you're rich.
Speaker 5: If you're pretending to be rich and you're not, everybody loses, right, you lose, gold digger loses. You wasted a bunch of money, you know, someone you really can't like.
Speaker 12: Instead of a sugar daddy'd.
Speaker 14: Be like a debt daddy.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 13: Listen to your friends because oftentimes they can spot one maybe before you can.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 13: Don't dress too nicely. Live in a normal house. Do you mean if you're trying to, like, you know, repel gold diggers, live in a normal house. Make sure your expensive cars are stored away. And then lastly, don't go to fancy restaurants too often.
Speaker 11: Okay, I remember that.
Speaker 5: So what was What were the tips you gave your son?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess were the tips you gave your son about this?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 12: I well no, I oh you.
Speaker 5: Send them all to Alexa and you never talked about it again with it?
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 12: I know. I was over there and taking notes.
Speaker 13: I was like wait again, I'm like writing this stuff down and typing it and trying to be like, oh, this is good, Like I want to collect this stuff because some people might be getting gold dugged right now? Dugged?
Speaker 5: Do you worry about your gold getting dug now you're single?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 11: Why not? Why not? You're going to eat in nice places now?
Speaker 9: She puts the expensive cars away.
Speaker 5: Maybe some of these tips you need to keep in put in your pocket Trusby.
Speaker 13: If I go out with someone that is not motivated to.
Speaker 12: Work, that's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 13: I don't care how much they make as long as they success doesn't mean money. But if they're passionate about what they do and they actually like put forth effort.
Speaker 11: But what are they're? Really cool? Yeah? Fine, really hot?
Speaker 5: They have eight ads?
Speaker 12: No, I cannot that.
Speaker 13: I would be zero percent attracted to someone that just wanted to just stay home all day.
Speaker 18: Do you guys think that's why Lunchbox dresses the way he does. Keep the gold diggers away.
Speaker 5: He's married, right, What do you mean that's right?
Speaker 6: I don't understand what's right, that's right about any of that, all of it.
Speaker 10: Like I want to keep the gold diggers away, but also I mean gold digger. You can come be a gold digger. You want separate bakinghouse, so you ain't getting it.
Speaker 13: So his wife has a different account, so you would buy them stuff.
Speaker 10: I don't really buy my wife's stuff, I mean at all. Just I couldn't tell you the last thing I bought my.
Speaker 5: Wife wasn't one.
Speaker 13: Didn't one of y'all do like if you're going out with someone for the first time, you go.
Speaker 5: To a all time like first date. Let's go like a little crappy taco place.
Speaker 12: See how they respond.
Speaker 6: I'd never try to impress anybody. Also, I didn't have I didn't have very much money than either, So my point.
Speaker 5: Then was all gold digger.
Speaker 6: It was like, I'm not going to over extend myself and go fancy for a couple of reasons. One because I only got it, and then two because I don't want them to think this is what normal is and their expectations be I right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan number two.
Speaker 3: A listener emailed then to share some new power rankings for the show based on her opinions. And everybody is entitled to their opinion, So listener, Megan, you are entitled to that, and I wish you well. Even though you were not very kind to me, I still wish you well. That's all I'm gonna say, because, like I said, I aired out my bad blood on Best Bits Part one with Scuba Steeve Number four.
Speaker 6: Six months or so ago, a listener sent us her power rankings for this show. Hey, Mike D because you're the only one that has this because she emails them to you. Will you explain to our listeners what power rankings are.
Speaker 16: It's like based on who is the best on the show in this listener's opinion, Like if.
Speaker 5: There was a power ranking of NBA teams right.
Speaker 6: Now, probably Denver, Miamiami, and you could go down from there. Right, So this is just one listener who ranked all the members of the show. Last time, Amy was dead last, and I did not think that was fair for the record.
Speaker 13: Okay, that hurts your feelings, Amy, Yeah, I don't really like ranking any of us, but to be last, and especially how long I've been here with all and the things I do, I'm like it.
Speaker 4: It just hurt.
Speaker 6: But it's also one listener, and different listeners have different bonds with different people at different times.
Speaker 11: Right, I agree, because I mean, you don't.
Speaker 9: Know how dumb she is.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm not saying anything about her. I just don't like ranking us.
Speaker 5: But go ahead, Okay, Well, what are the segment?
Speaker 4: No, you can go ahead.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's nothing you're doing.
Speaker 5: Just let me ask you this. Amy was last last time? Is she last this time?
Speaker 6: Mike?
Speaker 19: She is not last?
Speaker 11: Okay, So what we will do.
Speaker 6: Then let's just go from top down, because I think the drama is really in the person who's last more than the top couple.
Speaker 16: I agree, Okay, I will say one thing. They did not rank Abby.
Speaker 11: She's unranked.
Speaker 9: She got left off, not forgettable.
Speaker 11: Huh.
Speaker 19: Okay, so this is Megan in California.
Speaker 6: The only person not left not put on purposefully is Mike de because she knows he'll get the email and he could change.
Speaker 11: And Abby, I mean what, I don't know?
Speaker 12: Okay, whoever ends up last, I'm here for you. It's not fun.
Speaker 5: How many people made the list?
Speaker 19: Mike, there are seven people on the list.
Speaker 5: Who does she rank as the number one power ranking member of the show?
Speaker 19: Number one on the list?
Speaker 9: Bobby?
Speaker 11: Thank you? Sure, thank you?
Speaker 5: What does she say?
Speaker 16: He says, First of all, he's the only one I would consider a celebrity.
Speaker 19: His biggest strength, in my opinion, are.
Speaker 16: All his interview skills that he's excelled in lately, but not only that, he is the most well rounded out of anyone on the show. Without him to package everyone up, the show would be chaos.
Speaker 5: I mean, I couldn't agree with one.
Speaker 6: I mean with all that every single point agree on a coin, So I say, put that on a coin. That's very nice. I don't think I was number one last time? Was that you were Ember one last night on the show.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that, all right.
Speaker 19: Number two at number two, it is Amy.
Speaker 16: Wow, she says, Amy is the glue that keeps the show together. She's been so open with what's going on in her personal life. I also love seeing her branch out, expand your brand with live podcasts and acting.
Speaker 11: Okay, good job, Amy, Amy at number two?
Speaker 5: Lunchbox? Does that make you feel? With Amy at number two?
Speaker 9: I mean whatever, she jumped you. I mean whatever. We'll see where I end up. See how dumb this lady is?
Speaker 5: Mike's number three?
Speaker 19: It is a lunchbox.
Speaker 9: Okay, whoa, Yeah, smart lady, That's what I'm talking about. She's not as dumb as I thought.
Speaker 5: What does she say about him?
Speaker 16: Even though I find him irritating, I also find myself wanting to hear what he has to say next. I think if he actually took some initiative, he would get the things he complains about, not having.
Speaker 5: A couple backhanded compliments in there.
Speaker 7: But okay, we'll go with it.
Speaker 6: He's irritating and he complains, but she still likes him. At number three he got a bronze medal. Number four it is Eddie, she says. Eddie is like a fine wine that gets better with age.
Speaker 16: I wasn't the biggest fan of Eddie on my last rankings, but he's humor has grown on me. I moved him out of the friend zone and into my top five.
Speaker 11: Wow, I'll take it.
Speaker 12: Oh do we remember where he was last night?
Speaker 11: I don't remember.
Speaker 19: Number five It is Scuba Steve.
Speaker 16: He didn't make my list last time, but he has definitely made himself known recently. While I don't agree or believe all the things he says, I respect him for telling it how it is.
Speaker 6: I believe everything says and sometimes I find out crazy stories about I'm like what, But I believe everything he.
Speaker 5: Says on the show.
Speaker 11: Oh same here.
Speaker 5: There are certain people I don't believe their stories. I think Ray clickbait.
Speaker 3: Ray.
Speaker 5: Sometimes his was some stuff that's unbelievable.
Speaker 11: A lot of made up stuff there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, remember that, Ray, All the stories you told it, they're pretty accurate.
Speaker 5: As you need the country artists, they're all true.
Speaker 13: I think Ray thinks that they're accurate.
Speaker 10: I mean his are pretty accurate too, like, you know, not nail everything everything.
Speaker 5: I say, Boat a ghost touched him in a room.
Speaker 11: His agent Eulett Jackson.
Speaker 9: I'm going to donate one thousand dollars to a server.
Speaker 5: He's going to. He was like, yeah, that's also kind of bull crap.
Speaker 11: It's all bull It's very accurate.
Speaker 6: She would like to do a lot of nice charitable stuff, but does that. But that's not you lying about it. That's right because I would like to do stuff too. I don't do exactly all right, Next up.
Speaker 9: Mike, Wait, wait, so my bottom three was nailed?
Speaker 10: I said, Ray, Morgan, Abby Abby was left off right, so boom, it's down to Morgan and Ray.
Speaker 5: But whenever we on, oh we are.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so let's just go straight to the last.
Speaker 5: Who's the worst to you? I want to hear six. I want to hear the.
Speaker 10: Reasoning to It's definitely gonna be Morgan at seven. Yeah, she's gonna be out, like the why. She just hasn't really come with anything.
Speaker 12: Does a lot, it's just maybe not on air.
Speaker 9: She posts a couple of things on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Cool, That's what I'm saying, Mike, number six.
Speaker 19: It is Morgan number.
Speaker 4: Two boom lunchbox.
Speaker 5: I don't know if six is boom.
Speaker 11: It's fine.
Speaker 4: I just need to.
Speaker 16: Especially what she wrote not boom worthy.
Speaker 19: It's kind of mean.
Speaker 9: You know, No, I don't know.
Speaker 11: I mean I got boom.
Speaker 5: No, I'm personally hurtful.
Speaker 11: Can Morgan read it?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 5: Give it to Morgan if she feels like there we go, or she could pass.
Speaker 9: I just got boom.
Speaker 11: It's like mean tweets and Morgan wants to read that. She can read it.
Speaker 5: That's fine, okay.
Speaker 3: My mother in laws a fellow Canson and says that Morgan is a bad representation.
Speaker 4: Of her people. Also, who are my people? Okay?
Speaker 3: I personally don't hear her on the show that often, but when I do, I have to agree.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Morgan, that's that bad.
Speaker 11: It's fine, okay.
Speaker 5: And my coming at number seven to go ahead and read raise.
Speaker 19: It is Raymundo. My only complaint with Raymundo is that I don't get enough of him.
Speaker 16: He's hilarious and says the most outlandish things that make me lool, but he's at the bottom of my list because I need more.
Speaker 11: I can agree with. Oh, that's good.
Speaker 5: I've always told you, I think you're a dynamite on the air.
Speaker 12: I gotta say, when I was seven, it wasn't that.
Speaker 13: I mean, now, I was gonna.
Speaker 5: Comfort compliment you at seven.
Speaker 12: I was going to comfort him.
Speaker 13: But like that is she's just saying, she means, Ray, we need more of you.
Speaker 6: But so, hey, Ray, why are you mad Amy because he got a compliment at seven?
Speaker 12: No, I'm not mad.
Speaker 13: I'm just saying I'm gonna comfort her disappointed. No, I'm saying it doesn't.
Speaker 11: Need comforting that.
Speaker 13: I'm glad she handled it that way because now Ray, this is good for him. I'm just saying that she did not do that when I was seven.
Speaker 5: So does that mean Morgan actually last?
Speaker 11: Yeah in a way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey I came in six thank you.
Speaker 6: I don't know her name, Mike Meghan in California Meghan. Every six months or so. It gives us a new power rankings. Okay, but now.
Speaker 5: She'll have to change it up to make a statement next time.
Speaker 6: At seven next time now, because she's like, oh, this is getting on the air, let me change it out.
Speaker 18: No chance, he's smarter than that. What we got something to work for now? Like you know, I want to I want to move up.
Speaker 5: The rank employee the month too.
Speaker 11: Yeah that too, that's a good one too.
Speaker 5: You get that all right, Thank you, Meghan.
Speaker 11: We appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan. Number two.
Speaker 3: The Folds of Honor celebrity softball game happened this week and Lunchbox scoob of Steve and myself played in the game, and we had a lot of stories to share, a lot of tea to spill. And that's what's coming in at this spot right here. It's a lot of tea spilling from the celebrity softball game, particularly tea I'm spelling on Lunchbox. I'm just going to tell you it was gold. I had a lot of good stuff that happened. And then I shared even more on Best Bits with Scooba Steve. We talked about all our favorite moments and a little bit more lighthearted than just spilling the tea on lunchbox.
Speaker 2: So be sure to check out both.
Speaker 3: But here right now, grab your teacups, ladies and gentlemen, it's tea time.
Speaker 1: Number three.
Speaker 5: I want to play a voicemail. This is Steve from Nashville.
Speaker 10: We're at the Celebrity softball game, and I'm really worried about the seed because he hits the ball like a girl.
Speaker 6: Guy is you know, Smiff. First of all, I'm gonna say this, I just I've been watching a lot of college softball and I don't think hitting the ball like a girl should be a negative thing, right neck, because I'm watching girls.
Speaker 5: Who are crushing the freaking ball.
Speaker 11: They hit it hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I think hitting like girl, throwing like a girl, that ain't really a thing because I know a lot of girls are way better athletes than any of us dudes in here. So aside from that, Scoop Seve, apparently he didn't look very athletic.
Speaker 5: I think it probably would have been the thing.
Speaker 7: No, and to kind of pond what you're saying, the best player of the game was a woman.
Speaker 11: It was or No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she played softball Alabama.
Speaker 11: She killed it.
Speaker 5: She was incredible my division once off ball.
Speaker 7: I love watching her play.
Speaker 11: It was awesome.
Speaker 8: So yeah, to go onto that, But yes, I didn't play my best and just mostly just because I'm just not that good at it. I mean it was good in the field, good at throwing and catching all that, but my batting was it was Okay, at one pop fly in a grounder.
Speaker 5: What position did you play?
Speaker 8: I've switched between third base and right field, making any plays.
Speaker 7: I made no great plays.
Speaker 5: Well, you said you did good at fielding and throw.
Speaker 7: I was there, ready to go, and I threw the ball, ready to go.
Speaker 5: Okay, good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I warmed up with Jerry Stackhouse. That was probably skighlight. That was really cool. Cool coach Manerbilt. Yeah, but the NBA player to me from the nineties, and he was.
Speaker 10: Geeking out, and Morgan was like, dude, we gotta go get a picture with Scoob before the game starts.
Speaker 9: Like, Morgan, you do not interrupt his childhood.
Speaker 5: Drain Jerry Stackhouse, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was cool, like playing catch a dad.
Speaker 5: I did want to break. I know that feeling. I played Castrin Nolan Ryan once.
Speaker 11: Okay, cool, Yes, you get it warming up and I did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I just didn't want.
Speaker 9: It to Enddel Diamond.
Speaker 5: Round Rock Express. Oh yeah, we were doing a deal there and you throw it hard.
Speaker 6: He was I mean, he didn't throw the no, but he was throwing and he threw just consistently strong.
Speaker 5: It was anyway moving off.
Speaker 6: That I didn't want talk about the game, big celebrity softball game last night, And I was looking at the promo and they were talking about the people on the people's team. For example, over on Team Riley Green, which team are you guys on?
Speaker 9: And Scuba was on Team Riley Green?
Speaker 11: Got it?
Speaker 6: So on Team Jelly Roll, they talk about the people. There's Jelly Roll, there's Taylor Lewan who used to play for the Titans. There's Morgan number two, there's Heart, there's the whole list, and it was Morgan number two and Lunchbox didn't show up till like the very end of the list.
Speaker 10: It's like the people running the just don't I guess they don't really understand what they're doing. They don't understand how to promote their event. Like when you are promoting it, you want your biggest names first.
Speaker 5: But I think that's what they're doing in their mind, that's what they're doing.
Speaker 10: That's what I'm saying. Obviously they don't know what they're doing. They think like they have Morgan number two on there with Jelly Roll, Taylor Lawan, the biggest names. Like if you want the biggest names on that promo.
Speaker 6: They put me, Okay, other than you My point is they think that Morgan number two is a bigger way.
Speaker 10: Crazy to actually think that, Like whoever did that? Their social media coordinators should be fired, like immediately.
Speaker 5: So good showing last night showing people they were watching the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I sold out.
Speaker 6: It was awesome, love it. And so was this the thing last night too? Or is this this one story that I saw? Oh, that was just one story that I saw. I was like you saw last night. It was fine, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Like I was there, we were great.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because I got a hand now all of my signed baseball cards and lunchbox still has.
Speaker 5: All of his. So wait, people wanted your baseball.
Speaker 4: Like all of mine are gone.
Speaker 10: Here's the thing because people Morgan was walking around with hers like saying here, you want my car and signing them and hanging them out.
Speaker 9: I just put him on my backpack and was like, hey, guys, I'm.
Speaker 10: Here to drink and take pictures. You want to take a picture, fine, but I an't getting them out of my backpack. And then I can give them my relatives like for Christmas presents, like I got my baseball.
Speaker 4: See this is why I'm a better.
Speaker 5: Draw car that's a good point.
Speaker 6: I heard from my little Birdie that there was actually kind of a I'm not gonna say a fight, but an uncuf between you two about this thing where Morgan was being promoted more than you.
Speaker 9: No, no, I was just did that one promotion?
Speaker 10: I mean Morgan, who was the last person in the stadium because so many people want to take.
Speaker 5: Pictures in human form. Did you guys get into it a little bit?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He he literally we were sitting here in the studio and he sees it for the first time and he looks, He's like, why are you on here?
Speaker 4: And I was like, because I'm playing in the game.
Speaker 3: And he starts throwing this whole fit, and everybody who walks in the studio goes, guys, why is she promoted more than me?
Speaker 12: It was this whole argument that he was mad that I was getting promoted.
Speaker 4: More than him.
Speaker 5: I heard it was sincere too, like he was really excellent. It's not why I take it out on her. It has nothing to do with her.
Speaker 10: Well, I was asking her like, don't you find it crazy? Like this is unbelievable?
Speaker 19: Why not just go?
Speaker 6: I wish I were up a little more. This is crazy, not you're up above me, and that's stupid.
Speaker 9: What is I mean?
Speaker 10: Just go look at the social media presence alone. I dominate hers.
Speaker 11: What do you mean presence followers?
Speaker 9: If you want the most followers to just go look at hers. In mind, I blow her out of the water.
Speaker 5: So to say, she's also been on the show a lot longer matter.
Speaker 12: Okay, I hear you, but that part should matter too.
Speaker 6: My hope would be that you would go, dang, this sucks, I'm not up there more, but not take it out on her because she was.
Speaker 5: She had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 12: She didn't create it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I just thought it was a bad look.
Speaker 4: I was just a better player last year, I guess. I mean that has to do with this.
Speaker 12: Last year, and you didn't.
Speaker 10: Yeah see I did hit last year, but they didn't they put me in the game.
Speaker 4: I put you in the game.
Speaker 18: I love that Lunchbox just keeps playing the game, like you know, if he's so mad at this organization, don't play anymore. But he goes every single year and gets hurt that they never talk about him or they make him the announcer.
Speaker 6: Well, last year they didn't even ask him to play, and I got upset for him, and it was a whole thing. And so he played and this year he got invited to play, but now he's upset because he didn't get put up on the list.
Speaker 5: High Now it's.
Speaker 13: Also just to say something positive here. I saw someone post a video of Lunchbox going up to bat and they did his like walk up song, and he went up there and when they said all right and Lunchbox, I mean, there were loud screams.
Speaker 11: That's good.
Speaker 13: Yes, Like it seemed as though people, I don't know how.
Speaker 5: They were saying that.
Speaker 9: People we know, we know.
Speaker 5: We're just saying, don't take it out on Morgan, right, that's it.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 12: I was just I figured this would help him.
Speaker 9: Just trust me. I know there's screams. I know who gets big billings.
Speaker 5: You're not billing. You didn't get the billing. Billing means promotion.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was their fault.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you may get.
Speaker 9: A more love, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: How was How was your love?
Speaker 6: Morgan?
Speaker 4: My love was great?
Speaker 3: Like I said, I was signing autographs, I was taking pictures.
Speaker 6: Let's go to scuba, Steve, because scuba you're not either one of these two your thoughts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I like that Amy said that Lifebuck's got a lot of roars and cheers, but Morgan got like ten times more.
Speaker 7: When she came up.
Speaker 8: It was like Michael Jordan came out and they had her run for jelly roll and she ran ella quick. Is she more of an athlete than he is?
Speaker 7: Way more of an athlete than both of us.
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, here we go. Didn't Morgan hit the ball out of the infield?
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter where she hit it.
Speaker 4: She was you to third base.
Speaker 5: I did my job, No exactly.
Speaker 7: She got base hits, which is all that you guys needed.
Speaker 9: She didn't get a base hit.
Speaker 7: I thought, yes.
Speaker 3: No you did not.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm not arguing about stats and a check game.
Speaker 7: Yes, Morgan have had more of a following there at least.
Speaker 11: Okay, So how did you play? Great?
Speaker 10: One for two, scored our first run. We couldn't get our team couldn't hit the ball. Finally I got the game. I gotta go one like you got the game winner? No, no, got it started like we our top are hardy struck out man, well hardy, they like I know, like it.
Speaker 9: He was so like, he was like, this is the worst day of my life.
Speaker 6: He said, and but we bring up Hardy strike out anything. You were asking your game, But why would you take shots at other people?
Speaker 9: Because I'm not taking shots at Hardy.
Speaker 5: You have no reason to bring up Hardy striking out.
Speaker 11: Like we would have never known unless.
Speaker 12: We have not and now we know.
Speaker 5: The worst day was like, so you went one for two, Morgan, I did.
Speaker 3: I didn't get on base for my own hits I got, I moved lunchbox one I got.
Speaker 6: It's not even bad then, if it's a sacrifice, it's not in a bad I it was a fielder's choice, was.
Speaker 3: Hey, I didn't get I didn't hit any pop ups. They were all grounders. And I ran for Jelly and I scored for Jelly. So I did play good, and I fielded a lot of balls. I was out there making place.
Speaker 5: Good for you, lunch watch filly balls.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one Jerry Stackhouse hit out to me like the second basement dropped it, And uh, where'd you play?
Speaker 9: I played right field, second base, right field?
Speaker 5: Did you play?
Speaker 3: I was in center and right and second we are lunchbox and I were switching off.
Speaker 4: I was trying to make sure you play.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's nice of you.
Speaker 6: Here we go okay, I'm I'm glad you guys played. I mean a great cost folds of honor and that's all. I just wanted to bring it up see how it went. You have anything else, lunchbox. This sounds give an out the grievance.
Speaker 9: No, No, I'm just saying. I mean, they nominated me for m v P but ended up not getting it at the end.
Speaker 5: What's the nomination process of m v P.
Speaker 4: There is none. Everybody's up for m v P and then they choose to at the end of the night.
Speaker 5: Who nominated you?
Speaker 9: I guess people on our team a meeting.
Speaker 3: Who got it? And then a first responder Yeah he.
Speaker 5: Was on the other team though.
Speaker 11: Losing team got it.
Speaker 5: We won, we won, got it?
Speaker 4: And Scuba loss got it?
Speaker 5: And who struck out?
Speaker 9: I'm not going to say you already did landed.
Speaker 5: To Okay, if it wasn't the worst day of her life, No, I don't think so. Anybody else is devastated by striking out.
Speaker 10: No, I mean there's only I think there's only two strikeouts. Maybe how a jelly roll hit he grounded it to like shortstop and Chris Lane.
Speaker 9: Booted it and that's error.
Speaker 4: But I got on base.
Speaker 9: We got moving, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like it was, there's no reason that can bring it crisly making an error, honestly, just.
Speaker 10: Like or maybe Sean bu dropped it at first. I don't know what's gonna happened, but what.
Speaker 11: It's all shots from him?
Speaker 12: What's an error you made?
Speaker 9: Not I didn't make an era.
Speaker 4: No, you hit a pop fly.
Speaker 9: That's not an error.
Speaker 6: You got out, that's not an error. Okay, I'm glad you guys had fun.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, but I did meet Charles Eston.
Speaker 9: Chip came up and introduced himself.
Speaker 11: You've met him, he's in the studio.
Speaker 9: He was like, hey, you may not know who I am.
Speaker 11: He's been in the studio like multiple times.
Speaker 4: Well, I have tea from this.
Speaker 3: Lunchbox went up to Charles Eston, came up to him, and Lunchbox comes to us after this conversation and he goes, guys. Charles Uston said, I don't know if you guys, if you know who I am, but I'm a huge fan of yours.
Speaker 4: And then they took a picture together.
Speaker 3: So Lunchbox comes up to us and he goes, guys, Charles Uston's a huge fan of me.
Speaker 4: I know Charles Uston.
Speaker 3: So he walked up and I said, Hey, did you happen to say to Lunchbox that you're a huge fan of his?
Speaker 4: And he goes no.
Speaker 3: I just said, hey, I don't know if you know who I am and wanted to say hi.
Speaker 4: I love got called out.
Speaker 3: He's never been more embarrassed in his life than when he got called.
Speaker 5: But you're lied about somebody saying they were a huge fan.
Speaker 9: But then he asks to take a picture with me.
Speaker 6: But you can take a picture together. It does mean you're like a massive super fan. Like you're posting on social. They're like plase post on social to promote this.
Speaker 9: Oh maybe that's what he's doing. I thought he's doing it because he's a big fan, and what's this.
Speaker 3: No Lunchbox turned bright right in the face when I called him out right in front of Charles Uston.
Speaker 6: It is great, everybody glad you played the game. No more, Lunchbos He's going I got more to say, no more.
Speaker 9: I mean, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 10: What I mean the person that doesn't get embarrassed, She asked, like I was so embarrassed, and I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Let's give it was he not right in the face when that happened.
Speaker 10: Here we go, Ok, guys, hit it out of the enfield. Let me know when it gets out of the infield.
Speaker 9: Thanks.
Speaker 13: Do you think Charles said that to him as like a joke, because hasn't Lunchbox said he's more famous than Charles Deston and nobody knows.
Speaker 5: I'll jumped. I think he just made it up.
Speaker 4: Lunchbox just wanted to somebody else.
Speaker 5: I know this. Bet you guys are driving me in this bit. This is the fly trap. Be his fly trap a bit. We're not doing it anymore.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 2: Number two, Lunchbox announced on the show this.
Speaker 3: Week that he booked his first TV commercial, which was kind of a lie because it's not exactly what it is, but it is a commercial.
Speaker 2: So here you go.
Speaker 3: This is the Lunchbox being so excited to share the news of his TV commercial.
Speaker 6: Number two, big news if I get that drum roll please, somebody on the show has told me they booked their first TV commercial.
Speaker 5: I've not seen it. I didn't know anything about it, so it was news to me as well.
Speaker 6: But this is a big achievement. We like to celebrate our achievements together. Everybody on the show is trying to do stuff outside of the show.
Speaker 5: Amy, He's got.
Speaker 6: A small part in Holiday Harmony on HBO now called Max.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Eddie not really doing anything outside the show.
Speaker 11: Hey, I'm doing speaking yeah stuff.
Speaker 6: Absolutely has been speaking plays with the Raging Idiots out of the road.
Speaker 11: A lot of outside of the work stuff.
Speaker 6: Lunchboxes on Zoom, reading scripts to Three's company whatever.
Speaker 12: Lunchbock speaks, Yes, kid.
Speaker 5: Morgan, what do you do?
Speaker 4: I'm doing some reefest.
Speaker 5: There you go, doing hosting, there you go. Okay, but he got little hustles. So one of you has booked a TV commercial, Amy, who do you think it is?
Speaker 11: That is not Amy, It's not me.
Speaker 13: So I I feel like Lunchbox has really been going after stuff, and maybe we find convinced him.
Speaker 5: How's he been going after stuff?
Speaker 13: He's been going, I'm doing the we we sort of pick at him for doing the zooms and not much else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but what's he been doing to go after though?
Speaker 13: You said practicing the zooms and then he shut up on Nicole, I.
Speaker 11: Put me in, Yeah that's going out.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, you guys, I'll be happy to know the person who got the TV commercial.
Speaker 5: Let's lunch box.
Speaker 9: TV commercial?
Speaker 11: What's it for?
Speaker 10: Hey, don't you worry? You will see it shortly? I can I tell you, but you can't tell us what it's doing. No, why you don't. They don't come out and announce people in commercials before the commercials.
Speaker 5: Air, but you can. They like you to, but they do not.
Speaker 9: They said it is confidential.
Speaker 12: Did you sign something?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 5: You signed something?
Speaker 12: Are you lying like an NDA?
Speaker 9: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 10: But I signed a contract saying I won't talk about it, and then the commercial will be out and you'll be able to see it, and we're gonna shoot it and it's.
Speaker 9: Going to be amazing.
Speaker 12: How'd you get it?
Speaker 9: I auditioned for it, sent it tape.
Speaker 5: Are you lying?
Speaker 9: No, I'm not lying. I don't understand how.
Speaker 11: You Something feels weird about it.
Speaker 5: It does feel weird how he's answering the questions.
Speaker 6: And second of all, I don't know a single brand that wouldn't want their brand unless it was a super Bowl commercial that they were keeping secret.
Speaker 11: It's not a super Bowl commercial.
Speaker 9: How do you know?
Speaker 11: There's no way is it? Can you give us the category it's.
Speaker 9: In, uh TV?
Speaker 5: Okay, come on man, No, the category of the product.
Speaker 9: Oh, the product? How would I describe it? Satisfying?
Speaker 11: Snickers massage?
Speaker 5: Nope, so the category is satisfying. Let me explain what categories are.
Speaker 6: That's a category, Like there's healthcare, there's food, there's service, entertainment loathing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you could.
Speaker 10: Say service, so like a restaurant.
Speaker 11: And you haven't shot the TV commercial?
Speaker 6: No? No?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And will we see it?
Speaker 9: You will see it for sure.
Speaker 13: Okay if you're going to show it to us or we would happen upon it.
Speaker 10: I mean, if you're watching TV, you may see it or I'll show it to either one. I don't know when, what shows you watch and what commercials they play?
Speaker 13: Okay, I have one question about how I know you auditioned for it. You sent in a tape, but how did you even hear it was open? Like?
Speaker 9: How do you hear about the audition online?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 6: Yepco to Staved, shaking his head right now.
Speaker 8: Online through his email from me, what do you mean? So this is this is with Sonic, so it's a good thing.
Speaker 5: Get a Sonic TV commercial.
Speaker 8: Sonic commercial, but it's not on TV. Oh, my god, it's on Instagram TV.
Speaker 5: So Sonic gonna put it on all their brand stuff.
Speaker 8: Well, so there isn't a final say on where it will live maybe in the future of depending on how they like it. But it's only supposed to live on our Instagram account.
Speaker 11: Wait. So if it's really good though, it could.
Speaker 5: Okay, but let's get this right.
Speaker 9: No, it's not Oh no, you don't know that.
Speaker 5: Okay, but it's not a T commercial and it's only for our social media.
Speaker 8: I was told his TV he was he doesn't read his emails because I'll talk to him about suff after the show. He's like, yeah, no, no, no, I'm like, no, it's just this. Read your email and I'll go, oh, I see it was an email.
Speaker 5: So it's not a TV commercial, scoop.
Speaker 9: I mean they are shutting down an entire Sonic so I can go film this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So it seems like it's gonna be a big deal because it is for us. They they are shutting down roads, they are closing that a Sonic. There is a camera crew gonna be there. There is things that's happening that makes it big. But he left out of detail.
Speaker 7: It's commercial but for Instagram.
Speaker 11: And my camera crew.
Speaker 5: It's me, is it Eddie?
Speaker 11: It is not?
Speaker 8: And what's funny is he's gonna be sharing the spotlight with somebody else too.
Speaker 5: You have a co host in it?
Speaker 10: Well, no, no, I was told that they it's gonna be two different commercials and there may be someone in there for a couple of seconds on the other one.
Speaker 17: Morgan.
Speaker 5: Morgan got a TV commercial.
Speaker 11: Morgan.
Speaker 9: I didn't know it's gonna be Morgan.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 9: They just said you may have a code, so.
Speaker 6: You don't have a TV commercial. So we just had all this and you don't have I do. I mean, why do you keep pointing at scubasteam? He just said you don't. What's the audio?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: My agent called and tell me I got it?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, what's your agent saying?
Speaker 9: Jackson Hughes.
Speaker 11: I feel like we're dealing with like a you know.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry to our listeners. I also did not know what we were doing here.
Speaker 6: I thought he really got a TV commercial and I wanted to experience it live and learn about it.
Speaker 5: And Jackson Hughes is not a real person.
Speaker 6: It is Lunchboxes, according to you, is Lunchbox's voice, and he edits this together, Go ahead.
Speaker 9: Lunchy, Lunchy, my friend, Jackson Hughes, your agent.
Speaker 11: Yes, Oh my gosh, I got great news.
Speaker 5: You know the tape you sent off for that commercial.
Speaker 11: They loved it. They loved it. You're in.
Speaker 9: You're in, my friend, You've got it. You got your first ever commercial.
Speaker 10: We're gonna film it later this week, so I'll be in touch.
Speaker 11: But congratulations. All that hard work.
Speaker 9: Is paying off.
Speaker 6: My friends.
Speaker 9: We're going places.
Speaker 13: You did it.
Speaker 11: You're in a commercial. Bye, Lunchy.
Speaker 5: You didn't even change your voice.
Speaker 10: That was my voice. It was out to my voicemail. So I don't know how you think I could be on my voicemail.
Speaker 9: That is Jackson Hughes. That's my agent.
Speaker 6: Is it Jackson's a tax company or something? Jackson Huett, that's what Jackson Hewitt.
Speaker 11: Should we not make fun of him anymore about this? Like? I feel bad?
Speaker 9: Why do you feel bad? Because I got a commercial and you guys didn't know?
Speaker 11: Because that's you and you're in this fairy tale.
Speaker 13: Okay, the category is clearly food and he went satisfying service.
Speaker 10: It though exactly definitely did they provide a service? Yeah, exactly due.
Speaker 5: Lunch he lunch he loun.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 3: Number two, our new Patriotic Pimp and Joy line went on sale yesterday to help build a home for us MC Corporal Aaron Mankin. All the proceeds from this new line and anything Pimp and Joy are going to building homes for heroes, specifically to help build a home for Aaron Mankin and his family.
Speaker 2: And Bobby shared the news with him that this was happening this week.
Speaker 3: He had no idea and it was super emotional and all of us got chills and it was heart wrenching. His story is just it's wow. And his story is what you're gonna hear right now. So grab the tissues and get your phone or computer so you can buy some of this new line just and have it in time for Fourth of July or anything. Pimp and Joy so he can build this guy in his family home because they're so deserving of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm probably gonna cry again.
Speaker 1: Number one, So Bobby Bones Show Interviews in.
Speaker 6: Case you didn't know, We're gonna hop over and talk to United States Marine Corps Corporal Aaron Mankin in just second. He is in Ourhyndai Virtual green room. He is on with us from his place, his home. I'm gonna tell you he does not know that we're on with him to hopefully build him a home. We've done this six times before for different heroes that have served and have had catastrophic injury. Corporal Making has had seventy surgeries, he has, and I'll let him tell the story about the ied that hit him. And he's got kids, and he's had burns and amputation and lung damage serving us, serving this country, and so we have teamed up with building homes for heroes to help veter in the United States Marine Corps Corporal Aaron Mankin. We're gonna build him house, and he does not know that. So now we're going to connect him over so he doesn't hear that part. And he's on now and here he is.
Speaker 1: On the Bobby Bones Show.
Speaker 5: Now. Marine Corporal Hello, Aaron, how's it going.
Speaker 17: It's going well.
Speaker 5: Thank you, good to see my friend.
Speaker 17: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: First of all, from all of us, we appreciate your service obviously, and I want to talk about why you join, when you join, and what happened to you specifically. And you know I always going to be sensitive when talking about what happened to you. So if I ask anything that's a little too much, let me know. Okay, I appreciate it, Okay, cool.
Speaker 17: I'm an open book. I'll talk about anything. I think it's important for people to not only hear my story, but the opportunity I've had to educate people about my experience and what it's like to come home.
Speaker 5: So you enlisted, what year and where'd you live?
Speaker 17: So I enlisted out of my hometown here in Rogers, Arkansas, back in two thousand and three at the onset of the war. And back then it was an or it was you know, Operation of Rocky Freedom, when we were going to liberate the nation. So that resonated with me. That spoke with me a lot. The idea of you know, the bush doctor exporting democracy and going out and helping the world in that way really really resonated with me. And I thought, you know, if I'm going to join the military, if if this is what my generation is going to do with this my generation's war, what what can I do that that I that I do well so that I could be an asset to my unit. And I didn't want to just be another pair of boots in the sands. So I took my skills as a as a photographer and a storyteller and decided to become a combat correspondent. So I started my training in De Floyd to a Rock in two thousand fire, spent my time in Fallujah, and was there to tell the Marine Corps story.
Speaker 6: What does that mean? Tell the Marine Corps story? As someone that's in the Marine Corps? Are you telling it to people like us? Are you telling it within both?
Speaker 17: Actually? So you know, I had a camera in one hand, a rifle in the other, and every Marine rifleman so and especially having you know, combat at the front of my bill. At my job is to be expected. And so I would write for I would write press releases for the general for the base newspaper, but then those were also released online and back here in the States, and I did videography. I did several reports that would come through the satellites out of Fallujah and then back to the States and wind up on the evening news. So you know, the Marine Corps story is very much in large part of the American story. And so you know, just telling those those personal connections between the troops and the home.
Speaker 6: Front did you find the fulfillment that you were searching for whenever you win an end to the service into the Marines? You had been there, you did your training, you were serving. Did you feel like this is what I was meant for while you were doing it?
Speaker 17: I really did. I really thought that not only was I in a place that spoke to me, that fed me as an individual, where I could lean on my skill set and be valued within my unit and toward division, I did. I enjoyed it. Best job on a Marine Corps, hands down, best job. I mean, I loved it. I mean everything that the Marine Corps had its hands in, I had the opportunity to go and tell that story. So if we were doing training and awesome high speed you know, helicopter operations or you know mount training, or a celebrity would come on base to entertain the troops, if that's where the story was, and that's where I would be in order to tell it.
Speaker 6: So we had mentioned before you came on that you've undergone seventy surgeries throughout your recovery, But I do want to talk about what happened that has well made you have seventy surgeries. So what do you remember about the day it happened to kind of walked me through it.
Speaker 17: I survived that blast. I walked away luckily. I don't know how I escaped it. Why would you tell you the god honest truth. I mean, it took the lives of six marines and I walked away with no broken bones, no shrapnel, really just a flesh wound. I had to give my face and my flesh and a few fingers, but you know, I had my life and got to walk away from it. And honestly, every day's been a blessing since.
Speaker 6: Well, was it an ied that exploded a lot of times when you know, we talked to you know, people that have been injured in war, it's either an id they didn't know they drove up on or is that what happened with you?
Speaker 17: Yes? Yeah, we were moving from one objective to the other in our track. Just happened to hit a stack mine through a twenty six ton vehicle with marines chow ammunition to us good ten feet in here, boom boom, can crash it back down, And we thought it was an ambush. We thought we were taking fire, But it turns out that the heat was so intense inside the vehicle, all of our art that started to cook off, So all of our grenades or flares or fifty calamela, everything started to cook off. Inside it was chaos.
Speaker 6: When you say cookof, does that mean like like shoot off, like firework, like if a fireworks stand ord to catch fire. But that's like it's like real, real stuff exactly. Oh man, So what happens then? As in what do you remember?
Speaker 5: Next? Are you do? You wake up in a hospital?
Speaker 17: So at that point, uh, I'm on fire inside the vehicle. I opened my eyes. I can see flashes of orange and the pitch black smoke. My first reaction was to just gasp, you know, just shocked, and I inhaled all this fire and debris, and later surgeons would dig out cardboard and glass out of my lungs, and panics set in, and I thought I got to get out. And by that time, one of our sergeants had muscled ope in the back hatch and the smoke started to flood out. Daylight kind of trickled in, and I found my try and I just dove and I just jumped out of the track. I landed in the road. I stopped and looked at myself and I was still on fire, and so I started to roll and roll and roll, and I couldn't. I couldn't put myself out. I just you know, exhausted myself trying to extinguish myself. And I thought, this is it. And this piece came over me and I thought, uh, this is how my story ends. And you know, they say, your whole life flashes before your eyes. Ironically for me, being a photographer, I just saw these like pictures. I just saw these little still frames of all the people in my life that meant the world to me. And as I was trying to hold on to him, I woke up to the sound of my fellow marine Jill, and putt you wow, put him out. You know, they run over, they dive on top of me, and they're you know, kicking turn on top and they're trying to put the flames out, and and they do, and then it's like they just evaporated. It's like they just disappear and they all go to help other marines. And I wasn't wounded from the waist down, so I stood up and of course in shock, and I thought, you know, I need to get to my camera. I need to get to my my mission, and so I started to walk back toward the track, and it was about then that our navy corman grabbed me by the collar and say, hey, you're hurt. You need to come with me. And that's really where the story of my recovery began. And I tell that story, you know, uh, to different groups around the country and and I'll i'll point that that part out specifically, and how often we'll walk around in life and not know how truly wounded we are and take someone else to come up to us and extend their hand and their help and their aid. So he gets me to the casualty collection point, and then they got to get me on the on the chill right, and it's like every war movie you've ever seen. Let's go, get them on the chop bottle, let's go, you know. They load me up on the litter and I start running through a field to load me up onto the helicopter to our air support. And sure enough, you know, Murphy's law, things go wrong and somebody fell over and I came tumbling out. Now I'm back on the ground and we were so close to the bird. I thought, you know, I'll just walk, So I start walking toward the bird and Oliverene start yelling at me, Hey, hey, hey, let down, lay down here in shock. We got you, come on here in shock like I'm shocked that you dropped me right right. Get this marine some morphine. So they got me out of the bird and got me out of there. They knocked me out and then I woke up about two days later in San Antonio.
Speaker 6: So you're in San Antonio and that's where they start to really work physically through your recovery. Second third degree burns to your arms and your face, ambuitated fingers PTSD long damage. I'm assuming the lung damage is from when you were breathing in and the fire. That's all you took in there. Yes, so physically it has been extremely to have seventy surgeries. That yeah, when you can't even remember every star, there's no way I remember seventy surgeries and you can't even remember every surgery. That's how you know you've had a lot of surgeries right right eron.
Speaker 17: For sure.
Speaker 6: And so here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna work together with building homes for heroes, and our goal is to repay you and it'll never actually be repayment for what you gave to this country.
Speaker 5: And our goal is to just simply build a house.
Speaker 6: Building a house that is easier for you to live in, easier for what you're going through, easier for your family.
Speaker 5: And so what we're going to do.
Speaker 6: Because you told us your story and because you served, is we're going to get with our listeners and we're going to say this is Aaron's story.
Speaker 5: If you guys would like to help, can you help?
Speaker 6: And over the past six years we've been able to do just that, and so we've chosen you this year United States sub Marine Corps Corporal Ara Making and we really want to hopefully impact your life in a positive way because of how you have impacted ours, if that's okay with.
Speaker 17: You, Bobby, I thought we were just talking here. Wow, it's so huge. I can't wow.
Speaker 6: Let us take it from here again. You've done so much, You've been through so much. It is the least that we can do. And we will be in touch very soon, my friend. So thank you again. And by the way, behind you, I mean I see Captain America. That's who you are to us, man, that's it. I mean, that's who you are. You got a little figuring back there. But but you are, You're a corporal freaking America.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 6: Okay, So we will talk again soon and again I'll thank you again a million times, but for now I'll just say we'll talk to you later.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 17: Wow.
Speaker 5: All right, Aaron, you have a great day and until we meet again.
Speaker 17: Thank you, Bobby. We'll see soon.
Speaker 19: All right.
Speaker 6: There he is the United States Marine Corps Corporal Aaron Macon. And what we do right now, if you want to go over to the website, it's up, it's ready for you, Bobbybones dot com. It's right there, and that's where you can do the deal. That's where you can get the limited edition Patriotic Pip and Joy shirt. We have so much up there. We don't keep any of the money. Zero dollars, zero sense goes to us.
Speaker 5: We don't keep it all. We don't keep any of it. And let's do it.
Speaker 6: Let's build him a house, a house that he can move freely, in a house where he doesn't have to worry about restrictions of anything because of all the surgeries that he's been through, seventy surgeries. I don't have seventy friends. I mean, and he's been through seventy surgeries and.
Speaker 13: His kids too, just creating a space for them to all live.
Speaker 4: Together with ease.
Speaker 6: Bobbybones dot Com up now the limited edition Patriotic Pimp and joy Line it is on, so you'll.
Speaker 5: Have him July fourth. By the way, yes we will, Lunchbuck will walk it to your house. If it is.
Speaker 6: I will say, yes, Usa, Yessa, go now, Bobbybones dot Com. Again, we don't keep any of the money, so let's go. Let's build them. Let's build them a house. You know, I say, it's Marine Corp, Corporate air Manking. We appreciate his time. We'll talk to him again soon. And now it's up to you guys, because you can go. We have a limited run today. Friday is going to be the big release. But I'm told you better go quick because we only have like two hundred and fifty or so we're doing today. I guess I should have said that, say everybody, we only have a few today, but the big release is Friday.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, there you go, Thank you guys. Bobby Bone Show.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan number two.
Speaker 4: Oh we are all done.
Speaker 3: It's been a fun weekend with y'all again. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did. If you did, hit me up on social media let me know what you'll like dislike if you want to share something you just like.
Speaker 2: Please, I just asked you to be a little bit nicer than listener Megan. It's my only request.
Speaker 4: I love you guys.
Speaker 3: If you want to follow me at web Girl Morgan on All the Things, and of course the show. At Bobby Bone Show, we got a whole lot more content than just these seven segments up. We also had honorable mention, blind karaoke, line dancing songs this week, so definitely check out our YouTube page that's more content, or Instagram or TikTok or Twitter or Facebook.
Speaker 2: You name it.
Speaker 4: I love you guys.
Speaker 2: I hope you have a fabulous weekend.
Speaker 11: Be safe.
Speaker 4: Bye, There's Bobby Ball.