Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media, Hi everyone, and welcome to it could happen here, a very special edition of It could Happen Here, in which we are very lucky to be joined by Inland from Lift The World Is Dying and what will be the first of many crossover episodes where the folks from Strangely Tangled Wouldness are going to share with us some of their preparedness advice. Welcome to the show. Would like to introduce yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much for having me, James. I'm in Man Marowin and I use they then pronouns, And I'm one of the hosts of Love Like the World Is Dying, your podcast for What Feels Like the End Times, which is a lefty prepper podcast about community and individual preparedness for disasters of all kinds. And really excited to be on the show with you. Yeah, on a different show, because you're on that show with me sometime, which is great.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I'm bringing together the two like, I'm sure there's a superhero reference I could make here, but I don't really understand that wild say I won't. I don't either. Great, Okay, two people talking about a thing they don't understand that is what podcasts are sometimes, but not today. What are we going to talk about today?
Speaker 2: Well, what I'm really excited to talk about today is preparedness in general, how community preparedness differs from some more conventional modalities, and being really nice with that phrase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one way of saying it.
Speaker 2: How individual preparedness fits into community preparedness, and kind of about my own journey into prepper stuff or preparedness, which might be a new term for some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like to call.
Speaker 2: It preparedness over like prepping as a term sort of because like, I don't know, Like if I say I'm into prepping, then people start to give me funny looks and think I want to live in a bunker with a thousand cans of beans and more guns than I know what to do with. Yeah, But if I say I'm into preparedness, people are like, ooh, I know who to call if I need help with something or get in a jam, you know. Yeah, Yeah, And it's kind of exactly that sentiment that I want listeners to think of when they think of preparedness is what connections and resources we have for when things go wrong, and how we are going to respond to disasters of all kinds when we're faced with them, because having a plan kind of makes things less scary, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, I feel safeer approaching bad things because I've approached bad things with my friends and we have gone through them and we've helped other people get through them. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think a lot of people engage in preparedness without really realizing this. I feel like i'd ask these questions to you on a less rhetorical basis if I didn't know them to be true. But for instance, listener, do you keep tools and a snack in your car in case you break down on the side of the road, or if your car won't start? Do you have a friend that will take a look at it for you and help you fix it. If so, then congratulations, you're into preparedness for a very specific kind of disaster. And now we just have to figure out how to apply that to other disasters, whether it's your car breaking down, the climate breaking down, or the world as we know it breaking down, because unfortunately, with the world as it is right now, as Margaret has said before, we're all preppers now. Yeah, I don't know, it's something that makes thinking about disaster just less scary, and I think that's ultimately kind of one of the best reasons of like why we should get into preparedness is because it makes things less scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, and I think it gives you if you're doing it right, And I think this is something we can get into, Like you realize how much your community can get through if you will have each other rather than necessarily the alternative that the other modality that you talked about, it is theoretically thinking how much you could get through whilst never helping anyone. Yeah, and that's very different things. Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, listeners, we're talking about kind of more traditional like bunker mentality prepping, which we'll get into Yeah, yeah, a little bit later, but that is my euphemism so far as more conventional modality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, like, can you give some ideas of like why people might want to get into preparedness, what they might want to be prepared for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, so many things. The list is kind of endless, which is yeah, which is unfortunate, and I don't want to overwhelm overwhelm people, but there's just a lot of things and new things are emerging every day. But the first step of preparedness is kind of identifying what your threat model is, or really just asking yourself, you know, like what are you personally worried about for yourself or for your community, and some kind of like larger categories that we can lump that stuff into. Is I feel like what comes to mind for people immediately probably is natural disasters. They're ever more frequent, They're growing in intensity and happening in more places. People who never thought they would become climate refugees are now becoming climate refugees. I still live on a chunk of land, and like we got flooded out. We lived in a hundred year floodplain. And like, yeah, I know it's not once every hundred years, that's not how it works. But like our time came, we got flooded out. Yeah, there's my migration. This could be due to climate change, political upheaval, economic reasons, family bigotry, and obvious tie into this. Right now is everything going on with ice raids where a lot of people are being displaced and either trying to return to their homes or find new ones. And there's also like I don't know, there's like a lot of people like in more conservative states in the US, who for instance, are trans or have trans people that are in their family or in their close friend group and are deciding whether they need to move somewhere else or at least come up with an escape plan if things get worse where they are, And the same is true for like, I don't know, maintaining access to abortion. Everything is very different in very different places or very close spaces, even in the United States, And so I think a lot of people who never thought they'd need to think about migration are now thinking about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A big problem with how migration is reported on in America is that like people who are migrants have seen as like some kind of subcategory of humans, you know, totally. Yeah, if you're a person who can get pregnant, and you're a person who might consider, in whatever circumstances, accessing abortion, then in some states you need to be prepared to become a migrant, like a yeah, relatively very short notice, right, Like it's something that we're all closer to than we think. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Another big one is kind of like larger economic, social, or political collapse, you know, simply meaning that like the structures of the world, no longer mean what they used to mean. This could mean the collapse of capitalism or capitalism turning more into like literal corporate feudalism. Another big one is I'm just have this broad category of war. This could be an invasion, a civil war, a revolution, a rise in right wing militias, another rise in right wing militias, whatever. I'm kind of neglecting some more fantastical apocalypses that I'm sure we can all imagine, but there are those we might wake up as fungus, you know who can say. And then lastly, there's the current disaster that is late stage capitalism. And this one is the one that I spend the most time thinking about because it's the one that's ever present in our lives currently and kind of informs and maybe creates a lot of the other larger threats I just mentioned, Yeah, except becoming fungus.
Speaker 1: Well yet yeah maybe, Yeah, we're doing a lot with the the old whatever rfkas into idea of Ministry of health. It's not cool that health and human services. Yeah, I think this is the one that, like, this is a disaster that people don't often like see because it's slow. Yeah, it kills us slowly rather than quick and it kills us quickly. Yeah, talking of killing us slowly in it my obligation to pivot to adverts is slowly killing my soul that I have to do it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we this is new for me. We don't have these little livel like the world that is dying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I thought i'd take the first time. I'm going to leave the second one up to you. You can have a swing at it. All right, thank you Products and Services for supporting this show. We are back. Imen. Let's break it down for people in like a very basic sense. If that's okay, how do we start being more prepared? Like I imagine the first step would be to immediately go to a federal firearms license. Se is that right? Yes?
Speaker 2: That is that is the first step. It is to fill your bunker with guns. No, that's that's not the first step because you can eat them. Yes, and no jokes aside. So the first step we just talked about it before that break is determine your threat. You know, in the case of let's use earthquakes as an example. If you live somewhere with earthquakes, then your threat model should probably include earthquakes, you might prepare for earthquakes more than you might prepare for wildfires too. The second step is make a plan, which means like, when there's an earthquake, you're going to do X and Y and meet so and so at blank. Yeah, you can also include not living somewhere with earthquakes anymore as part of your make a plan, because maybe that's just the one thing you don't want to deal with. The next part is acquire the parts of the plan and so like, if your plan includes resources, which everyone's plan should include a go bag, an escape route, and any kind of equipment that you need. And at this point you're mostly ready. I maybe would add to collaborate with others. And then this step gets missed a lot. But at this point, since you're mostly ready, hopefully you can let go of some anxiety and despair. You've done the hardest part, which is to get started, and hopefully you can we can feel comfort in that if we can't forestall a disaster, that we can at least be ready for it, and then act on the plan, do the thing, and assess what you can do better next time. Yeah, that's those are my basic steps. Yeah, it is makes it seem also simple.
Speaker 1: It's so simple. Yeah, obviously we will spend a love time in the next few months breaking down each of those steps and explaining them for people. Yeah. Yeah, Like I live in a place where wildfires are common. In my time living in California, I've been evacuated for a couple of fires. I've had an earthquake, you know, I've had a fewer than natural disasters. Of course, earth quake channels had become fives they did in San Francisco. But yeah, it would not make sense if you live where I live to not have a plan for that. You would be being naive. Yeah, it's that like a story like that for you, Like, is there a thing did you did you? Like, you know, have to evacuate for a wildfire and you couldn't find your shoes like what?
Speaker 2: So one of my funny things was living on this land project and like we were we were experiencing a flood. We were experiencing what could have very easily been a flash flood, and I was trying to just convince people to leave, and I had a hard time convincing people to leave. Yeah, Like there was like water up to our chests and this is my answer now, But my answer that I wrote about for this episode is so a little bit of preliad. In the first episode of Live Like the World Is Dying, Margaret talks with Kittie Striker about anarchists, and Margaret talks about the possibilities that she's preparing for, which she identifies as kind of these four possibilities, living like the world is going to end, and that we might not survive, living like the world is going to end, and we can try to survive, living like we can prevent the end of the world, and then maybe trying to live like the world isn't going to end after all. And I got into preparedness for a lot of reasons, some of which evolved over time. It went from something that felt scary to something that feels comforting, and I hope that it can become comforting for other people. I hope that's where a lot of you can land who are listening who are either new to the concept or think that prepping is only for people who expect to need to survive for thirty years in a bunker after a nuclear, zombie, bio apokarev or whatever, eating canned beans. I'm really harping on this image because I think it's what a lot of people think of when they think of prepping. You know, beans bunker, a little battie, and the fourth maybe lesser known one billionaires or the four bees of the apocalypse, as I want to think about them, to kind of confront this as like a word, this like apocalypse. There's a lot of different kinds of apocalypses, and whether we like it or not, if it isn't already here, it's coming. And for some people it's coming swiftly, for others it's slowly, but it is coming. And billionaires are preparing for it, even if they want us to think their tech will save the world. They have all the money and resources, and they are still worried. And while they'll try to use their money in power to kind of escape the consequences becoming a billionaire has had on the world, most people probably don't have access to those kinds of resources. But what we all do have access to our social and community ties, even if it might not seem like that now. And oddly, these social ties are things that billionaires often lack, or doubt the authenticity of, or just can't comprehend Yeah, there's this article by Douglas Ruscoff. This tech consultant who gets flown out to the desert to talk to rich people about collapse, and he's surprised because they don't really ask him about tech stuff. They ask him about like maintaining social control over the people that work for them when money no longer means anything. And I'm like, I don't know, do maybe make like more authentic friendships, you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe don't rely on having people so subservient to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think this kind of air quotes conundrum speaks a lot to people's fears about collapse and is what gets people into a bunker mentality. You know, everyone's worried about roving bands of armed people taking what they've prepared for their own survival. And I think that is a fantasy that we don't really see happen in real life as often as we might think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've reported from plenty of natural and human created disasters. Actually it is the opposite of that. Like, we can talk about this another time, but it's one of the reasons I can keep doing it. Like, despite being hugely traumatic, is it's actually incredible how much people go out of their way when they're thoroughly miserable to help other people who they see is needing help. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really beautiful thing. Yeah, to be a little bit of a word nerd real quick. I feel like everyone who talks about prepping has talked about the etymological origins of the word apocalypse. But it is very interesting and I think it's relevant, which is like, Okay, it's from these two Greek words appo and colliptine, which means like often to conceal, and so like a more literal translation of it is a revealing and I think that disaster really reveals things. It reveals the ways that society has really like bailed. It reveals the consequences of what living in a corporate oligarchy looks like. And it also reveals like what beautiful and powerful things people have built as communities and prepared for to give like a little bit of a positive spin on a grim, grim grim word.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Like when I think about that, I think about like two years ago, I was in the Marshal Islands right where like the apocalypse has come, right, the atomic bomb has dropped on the Marshal Islands. The United States. We did that, and the sea levels a rising such that like children born there today won't die there, right, they probably won't even have their own children there, you know, twenty thirty forty years left, and I didn't see like people fighting each other for the highest point of land. Yeah, I saw people taking care of one another, thinking about how like not just like that individual, you know, they could maintain their assets, but how their community could survive, how their culture could survive, and you know, how they could keep the things the incredible hospitality is so special to them, which I thought was like very revealing compared to this sort of mindset that you see more conventionally in like prempa spaces. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And to finally get to my own kind of little journey into preparedness, Yeah, I wasn't a prepper until like not that long ago.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I first heard Live Like the World Is Dying, it was twenty twenty. COVID was still new. There was like extreme civil unrest because there was an uprising going on and the same fascist that's our sitting president now was our president then, and he was backed up by people like Kyle Rittenhouse who were gunning people down in streets for protesting a racist murder where I lived in entire mountain range was also on fire. Yeah, and the idea that it was the coolest summer I might ever remember was still setting in. And then I heard about Margaret doing live like the World Is Dying, and I actually refused to listen to it because I knew with every fiber of my body that things were irrevocably different, and I wanted to stick my head in the sand, you know, like, not because I was scared, but because getting prepared is overwhelming, and I didn't have any clue where to begin. Like I was a scrappy punk. I didn't have like thousands of dollars to spend on gear and stockpiling food and guns and shit, you know. Yeah, And so it felt for a while like preparedness was only for people who had a lot of money, and that I'd be left behind. But I did eventually listen to the show because Margaret's my friend and I trusted she had good things to say, and because it was a show about beginnings and I needed one. And so as I listened, I slowly started to warm up to the idea that preparedness wasn't just necessary, but that it was also very much within my reach, especially in the framework of community preparedness. Yeah, and you know who can tell you a lot about community preparedness.
Speaker 1: Who's that? I think these lovely sponsors.
Speaker 2: Or advertisements or products that we're about to hear about.
Speaker 1: I sure hope. So we are back. There was a fantastic ad transition, first of many. Hopefully it wasn't like apparently beginning ads for like some kind of gold company that is also sanctioned by God God that that is, just just to be clear, not the way to go in terms of community preparedness that the precious Metals route. This one we're not advising here. Can you explain the difference between those two modalities, because I think, yeah, like I still when Margaret was asking me if I wanted to do live like the World is dying, she was like, oh, because James is like when we did an episode together, Ande go back. She's like, oh, ye, James, like at Lefty Prepper a community preparing And I was like, WHOA, that's not me. I'm not going to be on the Discovery Channel show, you know, like where do people shoot themselves on camera? But Noy didn't too clearly kill themselves that they handle their firearms in an unsafe manner and hurt themselves totally. So let's explain, like, let's break down the good and the bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's kind of a tension between them, yeah, and between like what I'll call community preparedness and like bunker syndrome prepping.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the image that prepping brings to mind for a lot of people is like a right wing alpha dude in a bunker with a dragon horde of preserved food and more guns than anyone could ever use. It's like an image of one person against the world. And I'm kind of like, Okay, your fantasy apocalypse happens. You survive the nuclear apocalypse, Armed gangs rove the wastelands, food is hoarded and fought over, and you're protecting your bunker and then what, you know, what happens next? How do you build back a world alone? What is the world if you're alone? And not only like we've talked about that, we mentioned this earlier, but like, I don't I think this is not only like a fantasy, but it's not what happens. I think historically in disasters and the way that we can make it through disasters, I think is not based on how many resources we have hoarded, but based on our abilities to make and maintain community friendship and connections. You know, it's a trope, but the real horde in the bunker was the friendship all along, you know, I don't know, Yeah, but you know, we do need to learn how to produce and preserve food and build stuff. We just don't have to do it alone in a disaster. Our greatest resource is help from people that we care about and potential new friends. And it's sort of the overwhelming amount of skills that come with the bunker syndrome that I think causes a lot of people to become overwhelmed by starting to prepare. And the traditional prepper community, it's it's very right wing conservative, and it really makes it seem like every single person has to learn every skill they could possibly need in order to get prepared. Yeah, And I think part of that kind of bunker syndrome is also maybe that you have to learn all that stuff on your own because you low key think that everyone you know is going to turn on you, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, because you've been an odious piece of shit for your entire life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again, make better friends, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I used to think that like preparedness was a lot of people who'd never really experienced genuine hardship, wondering what it might be like probably is, yeah, a lot of it is, right because like if you've been just like poor or otherwise facing like like trans folks right now, right even like anyone really in their LGBTQIA area, Like it's scary right now, and you've probably found that the things are keeping going to other people, yeah, and not your pile of beans. And like I certainly have not experienced what transfercts are experiencing, but like I've had some difficult times and I've been poor, and like it's always been like other people who have come through for me, not stuff I had or even skills I have, really, Yeah, And I think there's this real divide between like there's people who are in fantasy bunker land, and then there's people who are like, yeah, either too afraid to think about preparedness or feel too overwhelmed to think about it, or think that yeah, they can't possibly do it because it's too far gone already. And I think preparedness is for everyone, you know, like we say start small, put food away every week, start to get your go back together. Just start. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so to maybe now to find like what community preparedness is is. I think that it's what we get when we take a lot of different prins and mash them together.
Speaker 1: You know, there's like.
Speaker 2: It's like part mutual aid, it's part individual preparedness. It's principles of autonomy, solidarity, direct action, and collective decision making, and it's all synthesized into a kind of.
Speaker 1: A beautiful little alchemy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the most like anarchistic thing you can do, which is really fun to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think it really means investing in the people around you so that you can all invest in collective survival. And I know we mentioned this earlier, but like there's this thing that happens during disasters that gets referred to as disaster communism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you heard that one? Yeah? Yeah. It doesn't mean that like Lenin emerges and leads a vanguard group to show you where the pupercation's at.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, It means that the logic of capital is kind of temporarily suspended and people just help each other for free, not even for barter for free, and like people like go out and just give out stuff they have in excess, even if they purchased it, and even if they're like you don't look like the kind of people I like, just give.
Speaker 1: It out, yeah, one hundred percent, Like yeah, I think, like I can think of a few, Like I can remember when thousands of people were being housed outside in the cold and when wet at the border house is not the word I would use, corlt in the desert. I was out there with my friends and like we looked like dirty crusspunk people, right, Like we were not like clean and well put together in that sense, right, Like we just scruffed totally, and that's fine, and I like being scrubbed. Yeah that's nice. But like, yeah, it was amazing to see like folks who one hundred percent do not have the same politics as me, like roll out and whatever, like set ups you know they had and like be like, yo, this is fucked luckily, Like I have some stuff that I was going to use for a barbecue next week, so I will drag my barbecue out here and cook for people or like yeah, you know people who cook for their church's bake sale, being like I have a giant ass pot, Like let me make some beans for you guys, you know, Like, yeah, I think people would be so surprised, And it's great that people have not experienced that, like because I think it's quite a traumatic thing to experience, but they get you'd be so surprised how how much? Or like I remember one time just building shelters with a bunch of people, and like everyone was pretty miserable rates of cold and windy, and like there were some Kourdish guys that uspect guys, some Chinese guys, and we're building these shelters together and like all of these people who didn't even share a language, and we're going through very difficult times. We're just like nerding out on knots together rare and just helping each other and then not doing that so they could sleep inside, doing that so little children wouldn't have to sleep in the cold. But yeah, that's the way humans behave in these situations, and capitalism or YouTube might have convinced you it's not like it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think like more traditional preppers really like get into it too, Like they'll show up, they're like I got forty chainsaws, are like like it's like every like Chud Truck's time to shine to like haul away raggage and the like. I don't know, you know, it's like I'm making it sound exciting, but what's exciting is when people collaborate autonomously and collectively for like more good than their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then kind of the problem is that like capitalism comes back in the initial fallout fads from sight and yeah, just because the disaster kind of fades doesn't mean it's gone. And there's a lot of people who kind of still have to deal with it for potentially ever. Yeah, And that's kind of like the disaster of light stage capitalism is similar. We have people who are constantly invisibilized even though it's part of their regular lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can I maybe break down some of these terms that are maybe.
Speaker 1: It can be good for people, Yeah, Yeah, because I think they get thrown around about right totally.
Speaker 2: So, Mutual aid is knowing that any help that we give our community helps us by strengthening our strengthening our community. Autonomy is deciding what's best for us based on what we know about ourselves and our needs. Solidarity is unity through action and knowing that, like it's like the you know, I got your back even if you don't got mine. You know, direct action is working directly to achieve our goals instead of waiting for someone else to do it. You know, we see this in disasters like don't wait for FEMA. There's like so many people who are just out there doing autonomous relief efforts and it's incredible collective decision making, finding ways to make decisions together in ways where power isn't being like abused or accumulated. And then there's individual preparedness, which is kind of the last little thing I want to talk about. So individual preparedness is kind of like the ways that we prepare individually so that when a disaster strikes, we have our basic needs met and you know, there's a lot to learn. So it's like it's easy to get lost back in that overwhelm mentality. Yeah, but I think we can really think about it in terms of disaster since we're on that track. Like, if there's a disaster and power goes out, then the roads are less traversible. If you have all of your needs met through individual preparedness, then you're in a really good position to go help others and if everyone in your community already has prepared for their basic needs, then your whole community is prepared to take kind of the next step towards recovery. And it means that your community can now help other communities that were less prepared or more impacted by a disaster, even if they thought.
Speaker 1: They were prepared.
Speaker 2: Community preparedness is like what happens when we kind of mash all of these ideas together and start doing it not just as an individual but as a community. And this can look small or it can look big, you know, And I think a lot of people's biggest hurdle is just like kind of making a plan. And like, I don't know, your disaster plan might include you and the people you live with. It might include you and your polycule, It might include you and your whole block, and it might include your whole neighborhood. And I think there's just this like big, beautiful spectrum. And to kind of carry an example through, like some interviews that we've done on a livef the world is dying. Someone's measure of individual preparedness might include having a radio when cell networks go down, and anothers might include building communication infrastructure that they can distribute, and another maybe smaller groups idea might be agreeing on a place to meet up because they don't have radios, can't afford them, don't know how they work, and they've just said when shit hits the fan, we're meeting at the library.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's still a whole love better than like dashing around on town wondering where the people you love are. Yeah, yeah, and it's that easy.
Speaker 2: You know, we get overwhelmed by tech, but there's so many low tech solutions to a lot of these problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's why we're doing an episode on carry a pigeon. Yeah, carrier pigeons. Are they extinct? That's passenger pigeons, different pigeons, passenger visions. Yeah. Yeah, So, like, what are some basic ways we can we can think about preparedness And we're going to cover these in more detail, right, we'll do episodes on each of these. But maybe someone's like, well, shit, I would like to get on that. What are some things people can work on? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it does start with kind of individual preparedness. And when I say individual, I mean, like, you know, for ourselves, But that doesn't mean we can't do individual preparedness. Parallel and like with other people. So don't think of individual as being alone. It's just we're thinking about your specific basic needs. It's and so here's kind of a checklist that we put out in a zine for strangers in a tangled wilderness called Ready for Anything. There's documentation you know, get or renewed documentation like passports, DOACA, other status cards, whatever. Get a driver's license from your state if you are undocumented, If you have other kind of permits like concealed carry permits, or medical documentation for you and your pets. Get all of those together. And you want to think about having both physical and digital backups of those things, Yeah, because digital might not work. You want to do some kind of basic just supply preparedness, which is, store three days or three weeks of food, store three days or three weeks of water, Store enough portable power to keep your phone and other essentials charged for three days or three weeks. Build yourself a go bag, stockpile prescription medication you need, keep your vehicle in good running condition with at least half a tank of gas, and get kind of any equipment stuff that you might want now because it's going to be wildly unavailable when a disaster does come.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then on the community side, get to know your neighbors, plan with them, help them with documentation and preparedness components. Make sure vulnerable neighbors know that you are a potential resource. Connect with activist groups locally. Build an affinity group. Maybe you and your friends are really into communication infrastructure, and when a disaster does strike, you just have that ready to go while you know some other affinity group is making sure that everyone's fed. Divide and conquer. I don't like that phrase, but it works right now, Make a plan for securely communicating and make plans for meeting up when things go wrong. And even when things kind of go wrong with your plan, you know, have a backup plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, primary, alternate, contingency and emergency plan if you want to use the cringe military acronym. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then these are some kind of questions that I think you can ask your community when you're trying to think about building resiliency. What disasters are dangerous do you feel like you're likely to face How can you maintain access to food, water, and communication? How will you interact with other groups? What skills do you currently have? What skills do you wish you had? Can you learn those skills? How will you foster care and address specific needs of individuals in your community? How will your community defend itself? And how can we resist despair and maintain access to joy? Which I think that last one really gets lost a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, people forget about that one, but it's important even in like really dark places, like I've attended civil wars, right, Like maintaining access to joways important. Like I've sat with people in Kurdistan and sung songs and played tempbole, which is like I think the English word is ood. It's an instrument and wild drones were vomited and so we didn't want to go outside at night gy and like, let me tell you, it's a lot better if you have people to sing songs with and sitting on your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm putting a song bock in my go back now, that's that's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: These people had a folder, like they came equipped with like laminated shit, like they were ready to rock. Golly. Yeah, that's kind of what I got, you know. Yeah, that's a great place for people to start, and we're going to be covering a lot more of this stuff, so like you will hear more about water and food and all the other things that we spoke about. Will try and do at least one of these episodes a month, and then where can people find you if they have questions, if they want to listen to other episodes, maybe if the world is dying or otherwise reach out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to hear more about anything that I've talked about, then you can listen to Live Like the World Is Dying wherever you get podcasts, where an entirely listener supported podcast with zero ad breaks. And you can find more of what our publishers, Strangers and a Tangled Wilderness does, including books and other podcasts we put out at Tangled Wilderness dot org. Or you can support us on Patreon dot com slash Strangers and a Tangled Wilderness. And if you want to ask me personally about things, you can find me on Instagram at Shadowtale Artificery, where you can see other stuff that I do that isn't this cool?
Speaker 1: Thank you? Yeah, thanks? It could happen here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts. Wherever you listen to podcasts, you can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening,