Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Jay Calpern. Here, before we get into this episode, I want to let you know that you can hear all episodes of deep Cover The Family Man add free right now. By signing up for Pushkin Plus. You'll also get bonus episodes, full audiobooks, and true crime binges from your favorite Pushkin hosts and authors. Plus, your support helps independent shows like us continue making the content you crave. Sign up and save on the deep Cover show page on Apple Podcasts or at Pushkin dot fm Slash Plus use the code DC two five for twenty five percent off on annual subscriptions. All right, let's get into it. Previously on deep Cover.
Speaker 3: Started to do research looking at the FBI website specifically and looking at how people got caught and basically learning what not to do in order to get away with robbing a bank.
Speaker 2: Do you have any last minute doubts before you walked in?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Absolutely there were thoughts of aborting it, of course, should I or shouldn't I?
Speaker 1: Do this?
Speaker 5: Tellers are the ones of the true victims, because other ones face to face with somebody, not knowing how desperate this individual is and not knowing if this individual, for one reason or another, would suddenly become violent and hurt them.
Speaker 2: Throughout two thousand and eight, Keith Giamanco had been on a crime spree, robbing banks once. He even did two in a single day. That September, he was back in his car looking for his next target, somewhere just off the highway, preferably a place with a simple layout, clear lines of sight so it could be easy in and easy out. He eventually spot at a branch of Commerce Bank. Next door was a bakery with its own parking lot, tucked away, a place he could leave his car well out of sight, and just a stone's throw from there was an entrance ramp to the highway.
Speaker 3: I parked the car in and out of the way, place where it couldn't be seen from the building, and I went in and I did the same thing that I always did, handed the teller a note.
Speaker 2: Keith exited with nearly thirteen thousand dollars in cash, no signs of trouble. Seemed like another success his twelfth robbery, so he gets back into his car and exits the parking lot.
Speaker 3: When I left the bank and got on the road and was sitting at the stoplight waiting to get back on to the interstate. I could see the police cars coming the other way, and then I looked out of my rear view mirror and one of them did a you turn and turned around and got immediately behind me.
Speaker 2: Keith tensed. Maybe this meant he was busted, or maybe it meant that the police were just fanning out looking for a suspect with no positive ID, because in past robberies Keith had seen cop cars racing in as he slipped away. Keith made his turn onto the ramp leading onto the highway, the highway which could still lead him back home, to fluorescent, to his daughter's, to safety, to his house, where the grass was still waiting to be mowed. But the police car was still right behind him, and now its lights were flashing. Keith eased his foot onto the accelerator, willing his blue Mercury Marquee up the on ramp. The engine hum deepened as the car picked up speed forty five fifty sixty. The patrol car was still there, right on his tail. Then he heard it faint, At first the thud of rotor blades overhead a helicopter. Cars began to drift to the shoulder. One by one, the road was clearing for him. In that widening space, the truth settled in. This wasn't a close call anymore.
Speaker 1: It was a chase.
Speaker 2: For a moment, he considered making a run for it, just going pedal to the metal. But up ahead, the police had blocked the road.
Speaker 3: It was an all out onslaught of police cars, helicopters, cars in front of me, cars behind me, blocked in, weapons drawn, and I knew that it was over.
Speaker 2: Keith told me that during his crime spree, he didn't allow himself to think about a moment of calamity, about what would happen if his plan went horribly wrong, as if this form of denial was essential to the whole enterprise. But suddenly that moment had arrived, and at last he found himself peering into the abyss. What happened next would define the lives of Keith and his daughters for years to come. I'm Jay Calvern and this is Deep Cover The Family Man, Episode three, The Confession. Can I ask you a question? When you see the flashing lights all around you, are you surprised that this moment has finally happened? Are you surprised that?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Because I didn't do anything different than I had in any of the other robberies. The only difference was that a bank lloyee broke bank policy and protocol, and against all law enforcement advice, left the building and followed me out.
Speaker 2: What Keith's talking about here, what he's still circling, is the detail that undid him. The bank manager followed him outside, watched him walk to the car, noted the make, the model, and crucially the license plate. This wasn't supposed to happen. In all of his reading, all of his preparation, Keith had convinced himself that bank managers were trained not to pursue, that it was unsafe, that protocol required them to stay inside, locked down, and wait for the police. Keith assumed that's how it would go down, and so what he cannot quite fathom even to this day, is that the system didn't behave the way it was supposed to.
Speaker 3: You would never expect that to happen. I never thought about getting caught, but if I did, that would have probably been the last thing that I would have thought that I would have been caught in that manner.
Speaker 2: Keith says that when it became apparent that there was no escape, he pulled over to the side of the highway and slowly got out of his car. A police officer forced him onto the pavement while another tightened a pair of handcuffs around his wrists. Keith says one of the officers planted a knee in the middle of his back, keeping him down on the ground. Then he turned and saw another officer aiming a pistol at his head. I wondered if perhaps this was the moment that reality finally came crashing down on him. You told me that you had not really thought about the worst case scenario happening if you're getting caught, because, in your words, you wanted to manifest success. So I guess what's it like at this moment.
Speaker 3: Well, at that point, at that point, Jake, I couldn't figure out how they had to make on my vehicle. So I was still thinking, you know what happened here because my vehicle was not in sight of the bank itself.
Speaker 2: But why would that matter at this point?
Speaker 3: Well, I think when something goes wrong, you automatically try to figure out.
Speaker 1: Why it went wrong.
Speaker 2: I see the post mortem. Yeah, okay, is there a moment where real fear grips you about what's gonna happen with the kids or does that come later?
Speaker 3: That comes later. At that point, I'm thinking, Okay, I tell the truth and explain my circumstances, and anything that might be mitigating might be helpful. And this may not turn out too bad.
Speaker 1: That's true, thinking.
Speaker 2: That is very optimistic.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, it may not turn out as bad as what somebody might think.
Speaker 2: And there it was, even in this moment that I had to imagine was rock bottom, the lowest of the low, when it seemed like the direnness of the situation could no longer be ignored or minimized, there was Keith still manifesting success. Was there any feeling of relief.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't feel relieved as much as I felt anxiety of what was going to happen next.
Speaker 2: While Keith was on the side of the highway in handcuffs, Detective John Bradley was actually nearby driving around.
Speaker 5: My partner and I at the time. You know, we would go out during different times and just kind of ride the area thinking that it may happen again, because it was happened so frequently that day. I think we were out already, just traveling around, just being available when the call came out.
Speaker 2: Bradley soon arrived at the scene of the arrest. What does that moment feel like as a law enforcement officer, when you know you've got him.
Speaker 5: It's a good feeling because you know, the officers didn't get hurt, the employees didn't get hurt, He didn't get hurt.
Speaker 4: Nobody got hurt.
Speaker 2: Detective Bradley inspected Keith's getaway car, the blue Mercury Marquis. The evidence of a hurried costume change lay in plain sight, discarded clothing, a razor, and a plastic cup clouded with shaving water. Then he turned his attention to Keith himself, who was already in the back seat of a squad car. Keith wore black dress slacks and a gray sleeveless T shirt. The police report mentioned that he still had a dress shirt tucked into his waistband, the rest of the shirt hanging down around his hips, like he hadn't had time to finish pulling it off. Here, at last, was the man that Bradley had been chasing for months. Bradley studied him, took him in.
Speaker 5: He didn't seem like a real aggressive guy. Once you start talking to him, you know, not a guy that would be out committing such serious crimes. Cordial, not combative, as how I would describe him.
Speaker 2: Detective John Bradley and Keith ended up at the Saint Louis County Police Headquarters in Clayton, Missouri, and eventually another officer joined them in an interrogation room. Blank walls, table, a couple of chairs.
Speaker 4: The date is September eighteenth, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 6: This is Detective John Bradley, GSM three point eight, one of the Saint Louis County Police Department Bureau Crimes against Persons. This interview is being conducted at seventy nine hundred and four side.
Speaker 2: This is a recording from that interrogation room.
Speaker 6: The person being interviewed is Donald, Keith Giamanco Donald or you'd like to be referred to as Keith Donald.
Speaker 4: Is okay?
Speaker 6: You understand that this interview is being recorded on audio tape?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay.
Speaker 6: Before I ask you any questions, your advisor your constitutional rights?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay.
Speaker 6: The time that your advised of your constitutional rights was six fifty two PM.
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Okay? Are you willing to continue with this interview? Yes.
Speaker 2: One of the first things that Detective Bradly asked about was the first bank robbery that he'd investigated, the one that got him started on this whole wild goose chase back in.
Speaker 6: March, Can you, just, in your home words, describe to me what occurred that day.
Speaker 8: I was in deep distress about bills and taking care of my children, my twin seventeen year old daughters, and they're back tuition from last year, and you know, basically just putting food on the table and paying the bills.
Speaker 4: So I.
Speaker 7: Made a note out and went in, handed the teller of the note and let on foot.
Speaker 9: And do you remember what the note said? I exactually work forward? What what do I called it? You know, give me all the money in both jars and we'll all go home safe.
Speaker 2: Listening to this tape, there was so much that intrigued me. First is how completely calm both Bradley and Keith seemed to be. Polite, understated. Bradley's vibe is slow and deliberate, kind of like a guy approaching a dog he doesn't want to spook. In this approach, it seemed to work. Keith does not request a lawyer to be present, He just talks. Keith explains that after robbing this bank. He drives back home.
Speaker 4: Once you got to your residence, what did you do? I got rid of the jacket that I.
Speaker 7: Was wearing, and I threw it away, and I basically just had dinner with my kids and spent an evening at home.
Speaker 4: This is whine.
Speaker 8: We lived in a different residence, the one that I lost in foreclosure.
Speaker 4: Okay, what happened in that house? We lost it?
Speaker 2: You might recall at one point Keith robbed two banks in one day. He did this to avoid foreclosure. But in the end, it turns out Keith lost that house anyway. And when this memory resurfaces, something seems to shift within Keith, and his calm, casual air evaporates.
Speaker 4: Do you know what you do with the money from the bank robbery? They used it for.
Speaker 8: To try to catch up on house payments and other bills. Enough, attorney, he's in the electric and counselor's and paying the girls school tuition.
Speaker 4: And okay, okay, I know what was wrong.
Speaker 8: I'm very sorry for it, and I'm really sorry for anybody that I scared or.
Speaker 4: Thought I might do harm too.
Speaker 8: But you know, as desperate as I was, I thought this is a way that I can, you know, do this right now without hurting anybody.
Speaker 4: In a physical sense.
Speaker 8: And you know, I don't know whether I was really ever of the belief that I would never get caught. It was just like almost a day to day desperation thing.
Speaker 2: When I spoke to Keith about his confession and why he talked, he told me that he was tired of lying and that in the moment he felt an overpowering desire to come. At the very end of the recording, Bradley throws out what I like to call the hail Mary question, like a last shot at getting to the bottom of things.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, do you have anything else you want to tell us to.
Speaker 4: Have to say?
Speaker 8: I'm very sorry, and I would like to have the chance to make restitution and be there for my kids, because they're the main thing. And I've always been there for my kids, and that's the only reason I would ever even think of anything like this.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: He's talking here, of course, about Elise and Marissa, his seventeen year old twin daughters. They would soon have so much to deal with the revelation that their father was the Boony Hat bandit, the chaos that this would create, the fact that for the foreseeable future, they were effectively orphaned, and on top of all of that, their fathers claim that he had robbed these banks for them. On the day after Keith Giamanco's arrest, his twin daughters, Elise and Marissa, hunkered down in their small house in Florescent, Missouri. A whole bunch of reporters and news crews were outside on the sidewalk, yelling questions and slipping notes under their front door. The girls weren't sure what to say. They themselves had so many questions, starting with did dad really do this? Initially, Marissa, the more rebellious sister, was convinced that the police had made a mistake arrested the wrong guy. But then she saw her father's mugshot on TV.
Speaker 10: He's browning in the picture. Like it's kind of an intense mugshot actually, because you can just see the self disgust and the oh my god, I got caught. And I even looked it up online just so I could like get a real like stare at it for a minute, and like you can just see it in the mugshot. So I was like, that is not the look of an innocent man.
Speaker 2: It became clear that the man that they knew as their father was also a master of disguise who'd hit twelve banks, he'd exit, loot in hand, and vanish until he magically reappeared at Elisa's orchestra concerts, or in the kitchen making dinner, or in his rams gear mowing the lawn like nothing had happened. Talk about a poker face. For his daughters. It left their head spinning. Here's Elise, the striver who dressed in bright colors, loved to make checklists, and worked at Banana Republic.
Speaker 11: I didn't trust anyone after that. I felt like I was living in some sort of simulation, almost like what is actually reality? Is everyone lying to me about who they are.
Speaker 2: Elisa's one saving grace was that deep down she always knew who she was and who she wasn't.
Speaker 11: I was like, I am not my parents' mistakes. That is not me, that is them, you know. I was like, I have to recalibrate the way that I'm thinking about this because I am never going to get the support that I need from my parents right now. There's not a Knight in shining armor, nobody coming to save you.
Speaker 2: Elise was a young woman who always had a plan, and so right away, instinctively she started writing a list.
Speaker 11: I remember sitting at the desk listening to iron and Wine. I was, you know, writing this list out. It included call a social worker, figure out food stamps. My car always needed maintenance too, so that was always on the list, new fuel injector can you do this yourself? Question for? And then also a big one was find dad a lawyer. I remember from the first day, I was like, we need to figure out how he's going to be defended.
Speaker 2: Alise eventually began looking at the dates when the robberies occurred and match them up with moments that stuck out in her memory. Moments when Dad suddenly seemed to have money to pay their tuition at their private school, or when he peeled off one hundred dollars bill and left a huge tip at the outback steakhouse. And suddenly it all started to click.
Speaker 11: It made me angry. I just was angry at the just the lying and the the living of a double life, because that's what he was doing. He was robbing banks and pretending that he was like coming home and living a regular life, and those are two separate realities. You know, there's the booney hat bandit and there's Keichiamanco.
Speaker 2: One of the hardest parts for a Leaves to wrap her head around was just how long this had been going on for. Because her dad didn't just rob a bank once. He did it over and over for roughly a year. That kind of thing takes planning and nerve and the willingness to wake up and decide to do it all over again. And for a Lise and Marissa, there were no obvious answers, only more questions like why didn't he ask for help, Why didn't he find a job? How had he managed such an elaborate deception, and how did he possibly think that he was going to get away with this?
Speaker 11: And I ran this stuff over and over in my head. It wasn't just once or twice. It's been millions of times. I'm stuck in this kind of ludic loop of why, here's how, here's what occurred, Why, here's how, here's what occurred, but why here's how, here's what occurred.
Speaker 2: You can feel her brain almost glitching here. The questions never resolve, they just recycle.
Speaker 11: It just feels like a vision cycle of still not being able to make sense of it, because it's nonsensical. There is no sense there. You know it was. It was a senseless act. So trying to find sense and reason in something that is unreasonable and senseless is an insane act. It's an insane mental process because you're doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.
Speaker 2: At Least thought back to the time about a year earlier when they faced eviction, when the bank was about to foreclose on their childhood home. Keith's solution had been to rob banks two and one day. At Least recalled that at that time she had offered to help her dad. She kept replaying that moment in her mind.
Speaker 11: I work a job where I'm making money every week. Why aren't you accepting my help from the job that I have? With the bills? You should have accepted my help. It just feels like he underested my emotional maturity, my intelligence.
Speaker 2: At that age, at Least says that as maddening as all this was, she was now in crisis mode. He needed to do now was take a lesson from what her dad didn't do. After missing a day or two, Alisa and Marissa went back to their private Catholic school the girls asked to meet with all of their friends at once to clear the air in a single moment, to explain what had happened, to face it head on. So about a dozen girls, dressed in their neatly pressed uniforms, gathered at the gazebo on the school's front lawn.
Speaker 11: And we, Marissa and I told everybody what happened in our own words, so that it came from us and so that our friends knew what was going on.
Speaker 1: Do you remember anything that you told them, Just.
Speaker 11: That our dad was arrested for robbing banks and in prison, and that we're going to need a lot of help, you know, because that was part of my dad's issue, was that he did not for the right amount of help.
Speaker 2: And so the girls began asking for help from their classmates, from the school's burser office, from the people at their church, from their landlord, who happened to be a friend of their dad's, from their orthodontist, because Elise still had braces and no way of paying for them. And in the coming days and weeks, a list emerged, a list of helpers, and there was another list too, a budget. Alise says, she lined up donors who gave them about two thousand dollars a month. And there was also her job at Banana Republic. Elise did the math, working full shifts at seven twenty five an hour. She pulled in about fourteen hundred dollars a month. If they stretched every dollar, it might.
Speaker 1: Keep them afloat.
Speaker 2: Marissa and Elise eventually visited their father at the county jail where he was being held. They were led into a white concrete room with a glass partition, the girls on one side, their dad on the other in his prison jumpsuit, and two telephones bolted to the wall for them to talk through. Here's Marissa.
Speaker 10: I remember sitting down and seeing him and just you know, crying and touching the glass, which is like a whole other feeling in general, just being separated like that. I just remember him saying that he made a bad choice, you know, And I had to accept that that he made a bad choice, you know, and I was gonna.
Speaker 11: Have to forgive him.
Speaker 10: And I made up my mind very very shortly after he got arrested that no matter what happened, what he did, I love my dad.
Speaker 2: I keep thinking about Marissa's word choice here. She says she knew at some point she would have to forgive him because she loved him. The love was the starting point. It was foundational, non negotiable. But loving someone that's not the same as understanding their thinking or forgiving them for what they did. For her part, Alise says she didn't have the luxury of asking why her father had done this or what the implications were.
Speaker 11: I guess I didn't really press the issue and ask him why that first visit, because there was so much emotion and so much dismay and grief. It just seems like that was going to cause more of a breakdown, more of a struggle than we needed. At the time. We were already suffering so much, like the why didn't even really matter. It's like, we're here now, now we have to deal with this.
Speaker 2: I very much hear Elise as the list maker speaking here. She's in triage mode, trying to figure out what she needs to do, because, even more than she realized, so much of this sord deal was now on her shoulders, finding a lawyer for their father, paying the bills, avoiding eviction, looking after her rebellious sister, who, by the way, would soon be in some pretty serious trouble of her own. Also on Elisa's checklist in the maybe category was finding their mother wherever she was, because seemed like they could really use a parent right about now. In so many ways, their father's arrest was a seismic moment in their lives, and though they didn't know it at the time, they were only seeing the first cracks. There were more harder truths coming truths involving both their parents and each other. Elise's earliest memory from childhood was of her and her twin sister working together to escape their crib. It seemed almost like a prophecy, like somehow she knew that someday they would need to escape, But how do you ever escape family when in so many ways it's the thing you are? Next time on Deep Cover.
Speaker 10: As soon as Dad was out of the picture, like I kind of went buck wild. How was one of those people that's like, bring the police, what else do I have to lose right now?
Speaker 11: All type of thing. And he showed me the surveillance tape and he's like, do you recognize this person? And I'm like, oh, that's my mother.
Speaker 2: Deep Cover The Family Man is produced by Isaac Carter and Amy Gaine's McQuaid. Our show is edited by Karen Chakerjee. Our executive producer is Jacob Smith. Sound design by Jake Gorsky. Original scoring in our theme were composed by Luis Gara. Our show art was designed by Sean Carney, fact checking by Aka Robbins. Our story consultant was James Foreman Junior. Special thanks to Daphne chen Sonya Gerwit, Morgan Ratner, Kira Posey, Jake Flanagan, Corinn Gilliard Fisher, Eric Sandler, Christina Sullivan and Greta Cone.
Speaker 1: I'm Jake Halbern at the ACA