Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, I'm coming to you from New York. I have been here so much this summer. I've been here like five times and I'm coming back again.
Speaker 2: But I've been having so much fun on the East Coast.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you can relate to this, but I grew up in Chicago and so you could just like walk to everything, and it's such a fun city.
Speaker 2: And when you're in LA.
Speaker 1: I love my life in La, but it's not really a city, Like the whole thing feels like a big suburb. And so being on the East Coast and being able to run around and go to a restaurant and meet a friend for a drink and then you know, go out, it's just I don't know, I feel so connected here. I think that's the word feel more connection. Also, it's like the New York summer right between the Knicks and FIFA and all of it. Well, anyways, I want to get to it because today is such a good episode. Have you guys seen the video going around Instagram that says if you lost all of your memory and had to depend on your friends to tell you who you are, which of your friends would you trust to tell you about yourself?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: What a question?
Speaker 1: And I think what it's really saying is who sees you the way you see you the most deeply holy right, Because it's not really asking who knows you, knowing is your birthday or your coffee order or the stories you've told a hundred times. But it's asking who sees you, Who sees you the way you hope you're seen, Who understands the person you are underneath the accomplishments and the disappointments and the performance and the person that even you lose sight of. Sometimes I think it's such a beautiful question, and it really reminded me of something I read about years ago in psychology called the self expansion theory, and the idea is that the people closest to us don't just influence us, they actually become part of us. We borrow each other's courage, and we inherit each other's perspective.
Speaker 2: We become more ourselves because.
Speaker 1: Of who we have loved, and I think that's one of the reasons girlfriends are so special, right, because they are people who make you more yourself. There's this moment in the show and just like that. I know those a very controversial show, but I love any Sex in the City anything. So in the last season, there's this scene I think about all the time, and Carrie is explaining a man that she's dating, and she says, he sees me the way Charlotte and Miranda see me, and it's the first time I've ever experienced that. I've always thought that was one of the most moving lines in the whole Sex in the City universe, because Carrie is saying, Wow, I finally met someone who sees me the way people who know me best, the people who see.
Speaker 2: My inside see me.
Speaker 1: And I just think that's what our guests today, Savannah James and April McDaniel have built. Savannah James is the founder of Refrain Beauty. It's a science back skincare brand. She's also the creator of Women of Our Future, a mentorship program supporting young women in Akron, Ohio. She's also the co founder of Let It Break, a community designed to help women grow through honest conversation and personal development. She's also married to Lebron James, and together they've raised three children. For more than twenty years, the world has watched Savanna James James.
Speaker 2: You know, she's known for being private.
Speaker 4: I've heard that I'm standoffish. I'm not stand offish at all. I'm very friendly. And I think another misconception I would say is that I don't have anything to say. I have lots to say. I just need a minute to process it.
Speaker 1: Savannah knows how the world sees her, but the moment that changed how she saw herself had nothing to do with fame.
Speaker 2: It happened because of something her daughter said.
Speaker 1: I was reading that she said to you, Zuri said to you that she wanted to be just.
Speaker 3: Like you, and it scared you.
Speaker 4: It was the most terrifying thing that I've ever heard, the most terrifying thing, because I'm like, well, what is it that you see in me?
Speaker 3: Because I didn't see it in myself.
Speaker 1: April McDaniel is the founder and CEO of Crown and Conquer, a creative agency that's partnered with brands like Adidas, Google, Spotify, and Lackma to produce culture shaping campaigns and experiences. She's a mother, a widow, and, alongside Savannah, the co founder of Let It Break. She's also someone who manages to fit three days into one.
Speaker 3: I get up at four o'clock in the morning. By the time I came here, I've had nine conference calls already today. I'm a machine.
Speaker 1: And together Savannah and April co host the podcast Everybody's Crazy, which, according to both of them, everybody is, including the people at Chanel in Paris. That story is so wild you have to stick around to the end just to hear that. But at one point during our interview, April talks about friend soulmates, and I love that phrase, not because I think it means finding someone who's exactly like you.
Speaker 2: I think it means finding a friend who's for you.
Speaker 1: Someone who sees you clearly enough that you don't have to perform, someone who notices your blind spots, who reminds you who you are and sometimes believes in you. Before you're able to believe in yourself. So the question I want us to think about today while we're listening or if you're watching on YouTube, is what makes a friend? So? And if your memory was wiped, which of your friends would you trust to tell you about yourself? I'd actually really love to know your answer, if you're open to it, DM me or email me who you would want to remind you of who you are. It's time to question everything with Savannah James and April McDaniel. Savannah and April, you guys have been friends for years, but before there was like a brand or a business, it was just you two. How did you know this was going to be a real bond, like something more than just an acquaintance.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we did. No, I don't think it just oftened really Yeah, So I believe in friend soulmates. I definitely do. I have two. And I just like I feel like you know, when you found your tribe, So I don't feel like it's as intentional as people think it is. Like I think a lot with us is just happenstance, like a ease. It just happened. Ease these is a good word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I interviewed a matchmaker one time, and she said the one word that couples use when like she knows, it's it's right.
Speaker 3: It was easy. Yeah. I believe that so heartily.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you two went from acquaintances to texting a million times a day apparently, Yeah, what did you think of each other before you really knew the other?
Speaker 4: Ooh? To be honest, I knew April through her working, yes, so I barely saw her. Like when I saw her, it was like parent parent like it was very yeah, like she was moving around, But I always thought when I was a part of the party or the thing that she was doing, she was very nurturing, making sure I was Okay, do you need anything?
Speaker 3: Are you good?
Speaker 4: You come over here, you sit here. So she was definitely like taking care of me in a way. So I just thought that she was really like a really nice Oh she's a really nice I like her.
Speaker 3: Did that hold up? Is she still nurturing and nice? Yes? Very much.
Speaker 4: So it comes sometimes with tough love, but definitely still nice and nurturing.
Speaker 3: I feel like for me with Savannah, it was I was like, oh, this is not really her. Could she be in a place like and you can tell she got something to say. I'm like, I want to know, like what you got to say, because so do I. But I'm working, so I feel like it was really organic, But I was. I was more curious because I feel like Savannah, a lot of who she is is what people perceive. Sure, but it is so far off than who she really is. And I think in being alongside somebody like she is every day, I think it has to be in a certain way. And I think I was more curious of like getting to know her, so I made an effort. I was like, I'm curious about this person, and I'm not really that curious. I really could care less about most things. I'm like, I never need to see them again. But I was like curious, and once my curiosity peaked, I was like, oh, I'm gonna get to know her. And once she opened up, I was like, oh my god, this is my soul thing, like because we have a lot of similarities but a lot of differences. Yeah, and our perception, our perception is close, but it's not the same.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm curious about that. So who's the better Texter.
Speaker 3: April? Okay, who's let me take that back. I'm not the better texter, she's the more frequent text I'm the more frequent test texter. But I am very direct. So anybody that knows me says, I text like I'm yelling.
Speaker 1: She taking all cash.
Speaker 4: She texts bullet points. She doesn't text a full thought. No, it's giving ready a five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where you at?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You close? Like it's very like it's I'm not chit chatting on texts.
Speaker 1: Are you a Capricorn?
Speaker 3: No, I'm a tours Oh but how's that in dating?
Speaker 1: Like when you text men are they like.
Speaker 3: Where's their girl? So confused? They're confused, and then.
Speaker 4: She's like what should I say?
Speaker 3: And then I'd be like, you know what, forget it, Like I'm not pressed. So then I'm just like I think that that is a challenge because trying to translate my texting is like decoding the Da Vinci code.
Speaker 4: But when you know, you know, like, okay, I got it, got it. You gotta know the April you gotta know the April cold da Vinci coat. Yes, it's like my code, but I'm not warm. I know, like, good morning, how are you? I'm like, it's very direct.
Speaker 3: There's no there's no salutation.
Speaker 1: No oh there's no hello, no no no, no, no no oh.
Speaker 4: And it used to get on my nerves, like because she'll there'll be no salutation, but then it's are you alive?
Speaker 3: Can I get a hey? How you doing? Are you alone?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: But now I know it's she's busy even about one hundred a minute, So yeah, she's on CEO.
Speaker 3: Am, I'm texting you. That means I care period. Good point, because I don't believe in people on read like.
Speaker 1: That was my next question is who leaves you on red?
Speaker 3: She leaves me on red every single time. I fucking hate it.
Speaker 1: She's gone a lot going on. In her defense, she likes.
Speaker 3: To rest her soul. I'm like, I used to say to her, I wish you had a house phone, because I would call all the house phone and then it would be un blood so good thing. That's what I mean. Like being an old lady who has a housephone anymore? I would like but I would say things like I wish you had a househoond and I'll call her sister. I'm like, where is Savannah. They're like, oh, she's here at the house right here.
Speaker 4: I'm like yeah, But it's not to be taken personal, like I tell all my friends like, I love you so much, but I'm probably not going to respond as soon as you text me, and I'm probably gonna forget after that. So I'm really bad with texting. I tell people all the time, if you want to me, call me FaceTime me. I'm much better with that. Yeah cool.
Speaker 1: I Actually I was at some sort of skincare event a few years ago and you guys were speaking.
Speaker 3: And you said you hate email all hats and so you're right now. I love email? Really? What my dream to answer seven hundred emails a day at least? See, I'm a Savannah and it trains me. I'm giving Okay, how is anybody making money over here? Completely composed? Yeautiful? That part? I'm like, how are you making money with no email?
Speaker 1: What do they call it?
Speaker 3: Mailbox? Money? Listen? Whatever it is. I'm chicken.
Speaker 1: So who's the bad influence? I can't even guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Savannah me, I'm the orchestrator, though, So who was the worst?
Speaker 4: I just got the idea she's gonna make it happens.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what are we doing? Okay, here we go where we need to be. Boom boom boom. It's arranged.
Speaker 4: We're there, Yeah, but I just think that I'm the one that's more like, let's just do it.
Speaker 3: And she's like are you sure. I'm like, yeah's and then to question it after are you sure? And then we'll be there and how do we get here? Like okay, we go? So I feel like she's more funny at Jeer in her approach. But I love edge, so like I see that yes, yeah, yeah, Like I like love it. I like I'm like, oh, yes, let's do it. We're not going too far. We definitely ride the brim. Like sometimes people be like, y'all was ware' there, Like, but we're hiding and I got seventy security, theny think Barack Obama's in there. But I'm doing it. And you're not going to die. That's the we're not going to die. Well you're a survivor, yes exactly, we know, so we won't die, but we're going to experience it and we'll do it for thirty minutes and be like all right, time to go, just get a little taste. Are you both good at keeping the secret of what happened in the story or does anybody else? Yeah? Typically no secret really no no, because the people won't say they solos, and we was like we did, and we were like, you know what I mean. I don't think sure is a secret. Soone's said to me the other day, like, you're very mysterious, and I don't think that that is intentional. But I do move very intentionally, So I don't move intentionally for you not to see me, but I move intentionally in case something goes down. So I like kind of lead with that. So you probably not gonna see me because you're gonna see somebody else and you be like, what's that them? I'm not really sure, So it's not that I mean to be mysterious, but I also don't think it's for everybody. Yeah, and I think that that is part of the world, Like we do stuff but we never post it. We're doing everything that everybody else is doing, but we don't post it.
Speaker 1: And so okay, I have a question about that. Yeah, do you not post because you look at Instagram as like a workplace or do you not post because you it's like evil eye jealousy, like why do you not post?
Speaker 4: I don't post because I'm living in a moment, like I don't even think about posting something like for me social media, if I'm posting something, it's like, Okay, I'm gonna do this, or oh that's a pretty picture. I want somebody else to see it. Or I'm just randomly like I'm gonna record this video with my daughter. We're gonna post it. It's never like, oh, I'm going here, I got to make sure I put that content out. Like I'm just if I'm somewhere and I'm having a good time, I'm having a good time. I'm not worried about posting it or making sure people know.
Speaker 1: That's so I did think have you been able to share that with your kids because they grew up in like a whole different generation I have.
Speaker 4: And I think just by seeing they do the same, neither one of my kids or the older boys, they do not care about social or posting or letting people know anything. So my daughter is more in the TikTok era, so she likes to do the trendy dances and stuff like that. But no, I think it it just comes from seeing, Yeah, they just don't have interest.
Speaker 3: And I think posting for me feels one like for what, who are these people? That's what I think to myself, like and who cares like and I it's funny. A few years ago I started April's office. But people will be like, I DM you. I'm like, I don't run that page. I never go in the dms ever, Like it gives me anxiety. I don't want to pick anyone up. I have my own little page. I post the most weird, funny things that I think are hilarious and no one will get and I don't care, Like I think a lot of the world we live in people are doing things for visibility, for money, for the people, and I just feel like, for what, because everybody is actually crazy, Like I actually do believe that, So like, who are you to judge me on what I'm doing? Because whatever you're doing not on Instagram, it's probably nuts. But you know how refreshing that is.
Speaker 1: Like I interview so many people that have public personas, and like a lot of people you wouldn't expect behind the scenes are obsessed with curating.
Speaker 4: Yes, what everybody, But that's why it looks fake, and that's why people are not authentic. I look cute right now, ninety percent of the time, I look like a homeless person. So I'm gonna say you right now there's nothing to post.
Speaker 1: I feel like you are like you're homeless.
Speaker 3: Actually good, I'm what's home? Really, it's definitely respect. I'd be like what I'm like, you not wear them?
Speaker 4: I feel great in this bondet in this world it needs pants.
Speaker 3: I love this for me.
Speaker 1: I respect that it's a Midwest thing too.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what it is. I les say, see, I'm not gonna wear a bonnet. I'm not going to do that. I like to be a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's one step too far.
Speaker 3: Yes, But that's the difference in us, like I think, but we both are authentically ourselves. And I think that that is the challenge for me with the world in a lot of ways is people feel like they can't be themselves. They have to be what you want to see. And I'm like, I don't care what you want to see. Amazing, this is this is who we are and this is how we feel. And that's why we haven't gone on a lot of podcasts and had a lot of conversations because some things don't feel organic to us. You know, like when you think about a podcast, every was like, you need to scale the show, you need to do this, you need to do that, and then we go on and wet all these lists and we're like, oh, like could we mesh with this person, could we have a real conversation, could we be ourselves? Or does this feel like performative? And I think, wow, I'm so honored now. Yeah, So I feel like it's like, really for us, is where we're going to feel comfortable. That's our first judge of like can you really handle it? Because we were with the shit and we're fun and we're professional and it doesn't fit in a box like people wanted to and people wanted to look a certain way and were like we don't care, like we're just happy to be here and whatever it is. And so I think that that is the uniqueness of us and the show of everybody's crazy. It's like we do feel like everybody has a little bit of crazy. So like, at the end of the day, why hide that?
Speaker 1: What was the first moment that that phrase clicks for you both? Like when you were like everybody.
Speaker 3: That phrase four million times a year, Like literally I say it a lot and we both think it.
Speaker 4: I think it would always come from us, So we would have these like download conversations anytime we don't see each other it's like she got notes to the stuff that she needed to tell and I don't talk to her to catch up. And once we're done with all the things that we're talking about, it's given.
Speaker 3: Yo, everybody is crazy. The news saying is are you okay? Yeah, that's the new one. Are you okay? I was like, they're not okay, it's not okay. So I think it's gone from crazy to like are you okay? Because I'm like, these we are not okay. That's the follow up. Yeah, but I feel like it just was really natural. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you started the show, what was your answer to the idea of like, what crazy are you okay with? Because I know that's what Yes started out with. Is there a crazy you're okay with?
Speaker 3: Yeah? A lot of things. I am crazy. I am to answer seven hundred emails a day. It's not normal. That's crazy. It's not normal. I get up at four o'clock in the morning. By the time I came here, I've had nine conference calls already today.
Speaker 1: You also look like you do CrossFit or something amazing.
Speaker 3: Don't happy this morning? And a team like have talked to my kids. I'm a machine, So like I feel like I'm a little abnormal, but I feel like embodying your the way you can be different instead of trying to be like everybody else doesn't make you like not fit in. It just makes you crazy cool. I love that. So I feel like that is really who we are And how about you're crazy?
Speaker 4: No, I just feel like a lot of people, like we were talking about, with social media, you try to curate things and button them up like everything is perfect, And I think the platform for me is just given a sense of like it's okay to not have that, Like it's okay for things to be a little rough around edges and for you to not have all the answers. So that's how I look at it, like just from an overall perspective of everybody has a little bit of something that they're dealing with, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Really, I think that's really powerful. I had sort of have this armchair theory that like anybody doing something creative is doing it to like heal a part of them. Were you kind of saying that to yourself?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, me being in front of this microphone, in front of a camera, talking to you, talking to you know, people seeing it's crazy for me because I don't. I'm the type of person that I'm okay with sitting there, like I'm okay with that, Like I may have a thought about it. I don't have to let you know what my thoughts are. I'm just I'm okay with just being But this was an exercise for me to start to use my voice, oh and be open with my thoughts and the things that I find interesting and important or whatever. So it has been for sure an exercise for me of like a therapy.
Speaker 1: Really, after like twenty something years of just kind of doing that, what changed.
Speaker 3: Why'd you decide to step out.
Speaker 4: To be honest, I think it had a lot to do with just growing and feeling a lot more confident in who I am as a person. I think a lot of the sitting there and being agreeable was because I wasn't confident in what I had to say or in myself specifically, so as I took the time to learn myself and grow specifically more so for my daughter, Like I had a little girl and I'm like, yeah, we ain't doing it. We're not gonna do this again, so let me do what I have to do in order to be better for her, so that she knows that the sky is a limit for her. She can says say what she likes, but she doesn't like stand on it, like having a strong opinion about all of the things. So it was really just me knowing that I had to do better for her.
Speaker 1: I was reading that she said to you, Zuri said to you that she wanted to be just like.
Speaker 3: You, and it scared you.
Speaker 4: It was the most terrifying thing that I've ever heard, the most terrifying thing because I'm like, well, what is it that you see in me? Because I didn't see it in myself.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, oh, let me let me get this, let me figure this out, let me let me do this. So this is really a therapy for me, for us to have everybody's crazy and be able to give my opinion. Like people call about super light things, but they call about super heavy things too, and a lot of things I haven't personally experienced. So it's interesting for me to in real time because I'm more of a let me, let me get back to you type of person, but in real time to like give you a quick answer or just what I think about this situation is.
Speaker 3: It's a process. It is still an.
Speaker 4: Ongoing experience, but it's a lovely one and I think that the journey has been good.
Speaker 1: It's so fun as a viewer to watch you too, because you guys have different opinions sometimes and so like a lot of times, but like April, you'll go first and I'm like, yes, I agree, and then Savannah goes and I'm like, wait, maybe yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it really works, Yeah, and I think it is. Everyone needs perspective, and perspective to me comes through friendship, comes through partnership comes through being with people. So even when I'm like, you need to hang with your friends, it's not just to be with them. It also is like temperature check what you're thinking, because I think sometimes people are thinking in a vacuum and I'm like that sounds crazy, Like you need to tell somebody what you're thinking, Like let's figure out how to make this work, you know what I mean? And I think that is what friendship is for. So everybody's crazy gives people the opportunity that may be a bit more isolated, or a bit more scared, or a bit more cautious to get perspective and not be judged.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised by the types of things that people call in with, yes, because sometimes I listen and I'm like, do they know that their voice is live? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think for me, the biggest thing was seeing how so many young girls have so much pressure on themselves right now. Like when I was twenty three, I was just living like it was no documentation. You wasn't doing anything, and I was doing everything, like you know what I mean. And we get so many calls from young girls anywhere from like seventeen to like twenty five. It's like we should be doing this, like people graduating college a week ago and like I don't have a job. I did it like stress. I'm like, girl, what in the world, No, calm down. I'm like that can be so debilitating. Yeah, you know what I mean. And I think because of everything is documented and you're seeing what everybody else is doing, there's a level of pressure and I feel like that's unfair to yourself. So I think I'm most surprised about how hard people are on themselves.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have guessed that either, that that was the take.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what we get so even young boys, yeah, like young like twelve fifteen. Yes, it is wild. I'm like this is and it just goes to show you the times that we're in.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest realization that both of you have had, Like doing this show that you kind of want to flex now.
Speaker 3: We want to flex. I'm funny, very.
Speaker 1: You are funny. I co signed that.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize it was so funny. Funny. Oh it's behave baby. Yeah, I think, Yeah, what's a realization. I guess I would say.
Speaker 4: Maybe that we're not I mean, I guess we could consider aunties, but maybe that because we have such a our demographic is so much younger, like she was saying that cross us and we do still have like a cool factor that can be relatable.
Speaker 1: Oh you have you seen your Instagram? Everyone's trying to dress like you, Savannah.
Speaker 4: Yes, like it's a little it's still given cool. So yeah, I think that that. I mean, I think we knew we were cool, but I think just understanding the generational gap and where the kids are now and how we kind of give the information, it's just a cool like through line I think is pretty pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: I feel like your daughter's probably not old enough, but imagine like she's gonna love that closet.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, she got so much stuff tucked away for herself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Archives do you guys feel like does the same you said that you're a machine? Does the same person show up in business as you do personally? Or is there like a different part of you that shows up as CEO?
Speaker 4: I would say there's a switch, Okay, I think across the board. Yes, very type A. I am very tight g I wasn't even gonna go with the first five, but I do think there is a side of April that she shares with her nearest and tears that is very much not like how she shows up as a CEO or as you know, the woman who she who most people.
Speaker 3: Know her as.
Speaker 1: Can you say more that if you're comfortable?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she she is a lover girl. She is a little tender Ronnie, very soft, very feminine, very much nurturing and like only wants the best for you. It could come off intent in the workplace, but it's gonna come off with so much love and like care and consideration. On the other side, we can't watch a movie like I like Tyler Perry movies. She doesn't watch them, but you know, they have a really heavy topic to typically and I just watch them over and over again because I love it. We watch Diary of a Mad Black Woman.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting there.
Speaker 4: I watch it every time it comes on, and we watch him and next thing I know, I hear I said, April, are you crying?
Speaker 3: It's so sad. I'm so empathetic for this.
Speaker 4: But I just think that's so sweet to be able to feel, you know, through the screen and this Tyler Perry movie that she is really in her feels right now.
Speaker 3: That is Yeah, it's very much sensitive. Theug I like to call her. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: You're making me laugh because I came home from I'm from Chicago and I came home like for a long weekend one time, and my mom was just in bed watching Tyler Perry over and over again, and she's so emotional about she's invested.
Speaker 3: In these characters.
Speaker 4: And then she got me into it but never got up and left.
Speaker 3: She's like, I can't do this.
Speaker 1: They're good.
Speaker 3: I can't do this. It's good.
Speaker 1: I like all the drama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like that is a great way to describe me.
Speaker 1: Can you do the opposite, because you did kind of mention that she has a lot behind that set.
Speaker 3: Pretty face yes, I think Savannah is by far the coolest, the first and there is a level of class with mysteriousness, a little bit ratchet by her face. She doesn't want anyone to know. No, it's fine, but I agree, like the best combo that you're like, did I just see that? Did that just happen? And I'm always so shocked. Yeah, I mean, knows all the dances, knows all the things. But then at the same time is the strongest person I know. And for me to say that I'm a savage when I when we got close, I was like, I met my match. Wow, because you've been through it, yes, And I was like, oh, I see it. The difference is she carries it with such a level of grace that is abnormal. I don't think anybody else could do it.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a therapy question? How did it feel to hear her say that?
Speaker 4: We've had these conversations, so it's not something that I haven't heard her say before. But again, when I was talking about, you know, not seeing yourself in a way that other people see you, it's just you know, I guess it just kind of confirms like the work that is being done, and it's you.
Speaker 3: Know us to hear that's really true. I mean I actually can look at For me, I'm like I could do life with her, And that is what friendship is about to me, Like you're not supposed to do it for like a second, Like life brings you these winds of like things that you cannot control. And because I've been there, everything for me is can I do life.
Speaker 1: With this person that's the friend's soulmate thing?
Speaker 3: Yes? Like everything is like can you really handle what we can't control? You know what I mean? Because a lot of things we can't control. And I don't want to have to call a friend and they can't. I'm not asking them to do anything, but there is a wait that comes with being in the world that both of us walk in. And I think that that weight is not for the faint at heart, and I think that not a lot of people are built for that, Like they're not, you know what I mean. I think we are intentional risk takers and it is and we are radical, and I think when you're that kind of combo, it is like we liable to do anything, like we could do anything. We'd be like, oh yeah, let's like today like yesterday when you guys sent the addresses and I was like, oh, shoot, they buy santi Ali. I'm like, yeah, let's go to Santiago. And this morning I got dressed. I wa a bag I wore. I was like, oh, I don't know, you know, Like again, I think, who whatever, guess a Friday at two, we're walking down santi Alli like I think, but that's what we want to do. Yeah, and it doesn't matter, you know what I mean. So I think that that is just really what life is about.
Speaker 1: It's really special, the bond that you guys have. I feel like one of the things that we're like sort of talking around is the fact that you been married to one of the most famous men ever and you know him at home and we all know him in front of the scenes, and everybody is different at home and in front of the scenes. I feel like it must be so annoying too, and hard to love somebody that is like part of the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard. It's been a process. But I would say the one thing about Lebron James, this is very consistent in.
Speaker 3: That that's nice.
Speaker 4: He's very consistent, so it makes it easy. And we've known each other. I mean, I've known him more than I've been alive, if that makes it. Well, I've known him Mangerton, I've you know, had the opportunity to a life obviously, Like it's I've known him since I was sixteen. Yeah, like we had twenty one, nineteen eleven year old kid, Like that's a long time considering I am twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So I mean that is crazy. What are we talking about?
Speaker 4: But no, yeah, like I'm about to be forty though, so I'm actually just another mile stone.
Speaker 3: So how are you going to celebrate? I'm gonna have a.
Speaker 4: Party themed, no, not themed, just a good time. I just want to have a good time. I want to go to Austria in the winter to a wellness clinic and just kind of chill out. I love all that kind of stuff. So I'm having a party. But yeah, it's it's easy when when he's consistent, he definitely shows who he is in his strength, in his is inspirational ways on the court. But when he's home it translates just opposite for being a husband, being a bother, but all very much the same.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just thinking, even with your business reframe, like even the name feels personal to me, like, what parts of building the brand about reframing how you see yourself and how the world sees you.
Speaker 3: Came to be.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I'm really good at naming things, but when it came to this adventure and this project, I was having the hardest time with finding a name. And I feel like it was because it was something that I was really wanting to put everything that I had into.
Speaker 3: This is like a passion.
Speaker 4: I don't want to call it a project, but a passion that I want to put into the world. And I needed it to be right and I could not think of it. So I get my best thoughts when I'm in the shower, and it just came to me and it all made sense because when I was thinking of the brand, it was just like, you know what, the beauty industry is very saturated, it's a lot of the same. How can I stand apart and how can I reframe how people look at beauty? It doesn't always have to be ten step routines, it doesn't always have to be you know, just coming out with things that already exist. I don't know, I just I felt like reframing everything that you think of when it comes to beauty is what I want to do. We've established that I'm cool, so let's tell all the people that I'm cool and the things that I'm thinking of are cool. But like, I don't know, I just I don't know. I just want to reframe how things have been done for one hundreds of years.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the biggest misconception about Savannah James.
Speaker 4: I've heard that I'm standoffish. I'm not stand offish at all. I'm very friendly. I may have the guard up, but once you get to know me, I'm really funny and cool and fun I like to have a good time. And I think another misconception I would guess I would say is that I don't have anything to say. I have lots to say. I just need a minute to process it. And you're starting to say it.
Speaker 1: You have a whole story that at some point you'll tell maybe maybe April, you know, when you were coming on the show, all of the producers were like, April, like, they've been knowing about your business and your CEO hat. How has it been championing Savannah putting her CEO head on.
Speaker 3: I'm so proud, Like, I think it's really hard to be a CEO, and I tell people a lot of times if I had to do it again, I don't know if that would have been my choice. Like, I really love being a number two, but you like, I mean, you've been leading by bo hood is get too Yeah, I feel like that. I probably wouldn't pick that. I feel like a lot comes with that. But I think a lot of pivoting and being resourceful in the way I explain myself is a lot of what's CEOs and body So it's like, oh, well, you should be a CEO, and I'm like, I probably would have given it more thought. Interesting, but I think patience with Savannah. I think you can't push somebody to explore. They have to do it on their own. So I've given her like I had an executive coach or I did this. I'm like, try this, do that. That hopefully is a cheat code to how I got here. And I also worked with two amazing guys for twelve years, Noah Tepperberg and Jason Strauss that I love, love, love, love love, and they taught me so much, especially as a black woman, Like working for two white Jewish guys. Say more about that. Yeah, it's just like I was twenty two, and they used to call me little Boss. They're like, little Boss is going to do it. And that was a great number two relationship, Like I was their number two. And they would just like put me in rooms I would never be in, like with like Sheldon Edlesen and Rob Goldstein and they'd be like, and you need to say this, you need to do that. And I had the confidence to do it. But they put me in those rooms and they really empowered me at a young age and let me do things that I never would have imagined I would even have access to, just based on in proximity. What do you think they saw in you that? Like they were like, let's hand this twenty two year old the keys. I feel like Noah is very me. He was like, oh, that's a mini me. To this day. We talk all the time. He's like, hey, there you go, Like that's what they call me eight because that's like my nickname me like ape, Oh my god, guess what we talk all the time like that's my guy. Like and I don't think you come across a lot of white men and leadership like that as a black woman. And I was young and I was like what we went to Vegas one weekend to open up too. And it was like he's like, I'm opening up this nightclub. Come on, We're gonna go on this plane and fly there. I was this assistant at the time. And we flew there and we got into the venue and tow in Vegas is ten like ten thousand square feet of a nightclub, which is crazy. And I walked in and he was like, all right, I'm gonna leave you here in Vegas. I was like the fuck. I was like, You're gonna leave me. He's like, we got to address this whole club. We have to fly in this Buddha from Indonige, we have to do this, we have to do that. I'm like, you're gonna leave me. He's like, don't worry, you got it. I was like, and I was like, I just think that he saw a smaller version of him, but he also saw someone that was going to get something done by any means necessary. Yeah, the resourcefulness, and he was like, you got this. I know you do. And me, nor him, nor Jason, nor any of us knew what we were doing, Like who knows how to open? That was like the first big club like that in Vegas ever. At least of that size. And it was just from that moment on, I was like, Oh, I can be a boss. But a boss doesn't always mean that you have to be the CEO. And I think that that is what I've learned on the journey. You can be a boss of a lot of things. You can be a boss as mom, my friend. You can be a boss at doing something else. You can be a boss as supporting somebody. You can be a boss at creative, a part of a team. It doesn't have to always be I'm the boss. I have to tell everybody what to do. I'm cool on that, Like, I do it and I do it well, but I don't love it well.
Speaker 1: I said earlier that you had been through it, but your husband died. Yes, And when I was thinking about the word reframe, I was like, what a change in life experience after something like that happens. Did it change the way that you saw yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh? My god, completely different. I think anybody that experiences death, it changes you, whether you want to accept it or not. Like I think, it changes how you see things, It changes how you view life. It changes how you optimize your time. Yeah, because time is not promised to anybody. So when you've experienced death, you really start to assess is this worth my time. That's why I don't engage in anything that is a waste of my time because it's not worth it. Like if there's twenty four hours in a day, I'm taking it all the way to the brim with twenty six, Like that's just who I am. That's why I wake up at four o'clock in the morning, That's why I'm doing everything where you like that before you, I've always been driven. I think ID became intentionally driven after my husband, and then after I healed, I became intentionally driven and desiring more freedom. So there's been an evolution in my grief of like how it's really evolved. But I think death of all sorts because people also attribute death to people physically dying, and there is death in loving somebody you can't be with. There's death in somebody you've known changing tremendously and you grieving that relationship. I think death comes in a lot of forms. Grief comes in a lot of forms. It doesn't really have to be to that, And I think learning a lot about grief has made me reassess, like what that really means for myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard you talk about being an empty nester to getting there and at some point you will be too little bit more time. Do you think about it at all?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I think having z still at home and knowing she's she's going to middle school next year, sixth grade, so I have a little bit more time.
Speaker 3: But I also want for her.
Speaker 4: To do all the things like if she wants to go to college, go away to college, leave us, as much as I would love for her to be at home forever. Yeah, I think that she deserves those experiences, and I am championing champion in her to go and have those experiences. But now it's definitely more quiet in the house with the boys being gone, but she's there, So we just got a little bit more, one more little birdie to kick out.
Speaker 3: Ye. She says she's our third best friend.
Speaker 4: We'd be on the phone chat and she's like, hey, guys from six anyway, She's like, yes, I'm like, okay, well's fine, I can say this.
Speaker 3: That's so cute. Yeah, she definitely is like, what y'all talking about? What y'all doing? Can I get nail? It's like it's sweet. She just asked me to go to a concert with me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, no, my friends.
Speaker 3: We took her to see Tyler the Creator. Yeah, we were dancing. She's not going to.
Speaker 1: I remember like just being in awe of my mom's friends growing up, like did you have that?
Speaker 3: Did you think about? No? So it's so special that she has it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she really does in a lot of I mean, my friends, her aunts, my nephew's significant others. Like she sees a lot of women and she's like, oh, I just want to be besties.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For me, my mom had one friend and I was like, oh, I love Miss Caren. She was crazy, but crazy in a way because she was loud, and she wore red lipstick and her clothes were always really nice and her hair was always just perfect. So I just looked at miss Karen like she is cool. My mom is very you know, she'd be chilling, and I'm like, oh, miss Karen is her. So I think I have like both like my mom and Miss Carrien.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I feel like those like they have a big influence on.
Speaker 3: Us that way. My mom was very religious, so I think it affected like I'm like, oh, y'all corny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you thought that at a young age.
Speaker 3: What since I was like four, that's hilarious. I was crazy, Like since I've been small.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, You've been crazy forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like one time when I was five, and I always tell Savannah the story, But when I was five, this bus used to come to the corner of my block, yeah, every Sunday and pick up kids, and they'd be out there, like dressed up. So I was like, oh, where are they going? So one day I wake up get myself dressed at five, and like little girls would be out there and like the cutest dresses. So I go to the bus stop. I'm like I'm ready. The man's like, who are you? Where's your mom? I was like, I'm catching his bushe going. He said we're going to church. I said, well, I'm coming. He said you can't get on the bus without it's for Sunday school, Like you can't get on the bus without like your parents. I was like, okay, I back, and so I went upstairs. I woke my mom up. I was like, come on, we I gotta get on this bus. Go outside and tell the man. My mom was like what And I was fully dressed, like he'd you go and yeah, my mom took me. He was like, I can't take her. You have to take her to the church and sign the paperwork. And she did, and every Sunday I would be out there ready, I'd be the first one in the bus, my little barbies and my little I was always.
Speaker 1: Like that, that's such a metaphor for who you became.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 4: And it was what drew my mom to the church. Oh beautiful, But then she got all up tight and I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say, so not so funny. Wow, So you started Crown and conquer? Yes, did that season of rebuilding change what you were willing to risk or claim for yourself?
Speaker 3: I think I started Crown and Conquer out of survival. Like I was a widow. I was thirty four, two boys moved to LA and I was just like, Okay, what can I do? Who can I like? What are my skills? And how could I survive? And I live a comfortable life like before my husband I did, married, I did, and then after I wasn't willing to sacrifice that. So I think it started out of survival. It has evolved so much. It's ten years old, it's evolved so much. I think it's really hard when you build a business based on you, So I think we have been very cautious of that since we build everything after. I think it's different with the podcast because it brings us humor, it brings us joy. But I always say, like, let it break is our heart, Like everybody's crazy is our humor. Like reframe is kind of how we reach the consumer, and really Crown and Conquer is like the creative willhouse behind those things. So I think my goal for Crown and Conquer in the future is really to build something that fuels everything in me and Shavannah are building while working with clients that desire radical and risk. I think in corporate there is a lot of hesitation with those things, and I think that then that is when it lacks authenticity, and then that is when it feels corny, and then that is when I don't want to do it. So I'm pretty vocal in like what we do and who we work with because I think it's important and you describe things so beautifully.
Speaker 1: I used to love the game. Did you watch that show?
Speaker 3: So watch TV?
Speaker 1: So I'm sorry what you don't watch anything?
Speaker 3: No TVs, no movies. No, that's because you're up at for it. You don't have time. And also I want to be doing that, be crying over people's Prob's just about to say she can't just watch it. It's gonna be too much investment. It's too much.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna cry at the game.
Speaker 3: No, I would cry really? Yes, yeah she might. Yeah, I just think I don't be mad.
Speaker 4: She might be, and I don't like injus so then I'm like mad at you?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Like, I'm just too vested in like that. So for me, I don't watch anything that could determine my emotional state.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no sad music, none of that.
Speaker 3: No, not sad. That's not my vibes. Okay, maybe somber, maybe assessing, but that's sad. So are you the same way now? To go to the movies.
Speaker 4: I didn't keep up like season episode like, but I'm very familiar yet.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The only reason it's on my mind is Mara Rockakeel is coming in a little bit later, my god, and she's amazing queen. And I didn't realize that she was directing the game.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I don't know that either. Me neither. The game was triggers for me.
Speaker 4: I was watching The Gang, like, oh, I got to do this all but still, yes, a great, great show.
Speaker 1: That is so funny.
Speaker 3: Who was feeding disinformation?
Speaker 1: I'm growing up in Chicago. I didn't know anybody that played basketball. I didn't know anybody that played football, and I did not know their wives. Right, So I'm watching the game and I'm like, this is amazing. And now I'm thirty five, and I have some friends, and I live in La right, and so I have a ton of girlfriends who are basketball wives or football wives, and they're coming up right now, and they asked me to ask you what advice you would give them?
Speaker 3: Girl, What is the advice?
Speaker 4: My advice would be something that I didn't do earlier that I wish I would have done. Is to pay attention to yourself as much as you're paying attention to your partner. Like, don't lose yourself in all of the things. Don't lose yourself in the babies, if they don't lose yourself in the facade of what all of this looks like. Try to stay grounded, Try to stay I guess, authentic to who you are and what this connection was from the very beginning, and I think that is what really helped Lebron and I. We are the most normal people, I mean from what the world thinks and sees like.
Speaker 3: We are so.
Speaker 4: From Akron, Ohio through and through like it's all we can do. And I think that that has been what has kept us so grounded and like the main thing, the main thing, for all of these years. So if I could give any advice, I would just say this, stay grounded and stay intentional with who you are, who your partner is, how you guys got to be to get to this point, and then just support each other through the.
Speaker 3: Evolution of it.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting that you say each other because I'm thinking about my one friend in particular, and this guy keeps saying to her like just like they're kind of new and she was like just he was like, just stay with me, like this is a lot of acclimating and like there's a lot of new stuff, and I think he's acting out a little bit and she's like, how how how much acclimating because I'm acclimating too, Like for it's a two way street.
Speaker 4: For sure, there is there is that that's a big, a big part of it. But I mean I think really for me, what it boils down to is is that your person. It's very easy when it's just like, oh, okay, whatever, on to the next. But when you know that that's your person and this is who I'm supposed to be with and supposed to be in my life and who I'm supposed to support and champion through his career, it just kind of you know, works.
Speaker 3: Is it harder than people think it is? Girl? Girl? It is.
Speaker 4: I think I think it is made to look a certain way, and I just I feel like that is what people desire, That is what you desire. So when it comes back to real life and real emotion and real growth and real distraction, that's when it gets tricky. So you really have to be invested in your person. And also it's a deep level of understanding, a deep level of patients that you have to have, just understanding where they come from, what the situation is, and you know what could be. So yeah, being grounded is very I think important.
Speaker 3: In all of it. Yeah, and I think it applies to like everything, like and that's what people don't realize. It is like people want something. And when Lebron came on everybody's crazy, he said this, He's like, so many people want certain aspects of it, but they don't want to do the work. So like that it is a journey. I think that that applies to relationships in that realm. I think people may want a lifestyle and don't know what comes with it. Yeah. I think people want to be a CEO and don't understand the pressure. I think people want things and don't really understand the work and commitment that comes with that level of responsibility. Ye. And then a lot of females, I feel like both in a lot of areas in life, are conforming themselves to make it work, even though you know it may not be right. And I think the conformance I see, yeah, the conforming part that means you have to know yourself. And a lot of people really do not know themselves. They don't know what they want, they don't know what they're looking for. And then I think, in conjunction with social media, people believe that they desire something to look a certain way, and then you think about it and you're like, I don't want this, Like I don't actually think that this the juice is worth the sweets, And I think personally for me, not specific to that example, but like being a CEO and also being highly empathetic is very hard, and I think that that has always been my struggle because you want to be committed, but then like their employees, and then you can't. So it's like separating your emotions, and I think that that is a big thing. Like Savannah say all the time, the people, You're no business without people, but then you have to deal with the people, and then you have to deal with the people's problems, and then it's like the people's complaints and then the people's concerns, and then it can become overwhelming. So like really figuring out, like she's saying, with everything to remain grounded.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing so much talk about growth, and I know that's kind of how the show started. Do you each individually attribute your growth to anything. For me, therapy changed my life.
Speaker 3: I think growth for me has come from wanting to be the best version of myself. So I think a lot of times people are so focused on again going back to the wrong things, Like you look a certain way, it feels great, and then I like, sit down with somebody I turned it to me, I'm like, she is dead Inzide. I don't ever want to go back there, Like you don't want to deal with someone dead, like you feel right right away, Like right away, you just are like, oh, there's no soul there, there's no clarity, They're lost. Like once you start really working on yourself, it's hard to be in company with people that haven't figured it out, you know what I mean? Really, So, I think it's not attributed to anything. But the one thing I would say to a lot of people is like you put energy and curating Instagram. You put energy into your work, You put energy into certain aspects of getting a boyfriend or being in a relationship. How about that same energy into yourself? Yeah, beautiful, And I feel like that is what will change your perspective of like who am I?
Speaker 1: It always comes back to you, It's.
Speaker 3: Always comes back to you, always now, every time, every time.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've talked about the deeper side of Everybody's crazy, but your show talks about the messy and the human and the honest. So I want to get into some of the curd craziness. Yes, so we're gonna question everybody's crazy. I'm gonna talk some red flags.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, so red flag culture is not new, but have we taken it too far?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say yes. I think everybody comes with a certain level of red flax.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: So again, what red flags are you willing to deal with? What red flags are you willing to be patient with and like, you know, figure out so that they work for both parties. But everybody is coming with red flags. Nobody is perfect.
Speaker 3: So red flags, I think it's for me.
Speaker 1: It's thinking.
Speaker 4: I think it's for me. It's like if I don't like it, I don't like it. Yeah, I wouldn't even consider a red flag.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. Goodbye your cross a culture? Call it it a red flag? I think, is there how about this?
Speaker 1: Is there a red flag you used to ignore that you don't anymore?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think somebody that hasn't done any self work, and I think a lack of awareness that's a good one. And someone that comes in very intense and I'm like, they don't have no stamina, because I think I ignite something out of some people that makes them feel like why I'm worthy And I'm like, okay, I'm on a date with you, so obviously I think you're worthy. But people have like worth issues and then you're looking at me. I'm not your mama. I sorry, sir. I'm trying to figure out my own shit. I ain't got time to be helping you with whatever you got going on. I can't. I just cannot. I can't, and I'm not going to. It's so funny, crazy.
Speaker 1: What's a friendship? Red flag? We don't talk about enough?
Speaker 3: Somebody that can't talk about nothing? Yeah, like, what are we talking?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Bags? I'm confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you sound like shopping, so you don't.
Speaker 3: Want to talk about that.
Speaker 4: But you were such a fashion girly, but I have the luxury of everything, you know? Yeah, yeah, got you going in shopping? Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing we talked about is going around the world getting her mess appointments.
Speaker 4: So I'll be saying, but that's just traveling, what would be hustling. One time with the Milan they treated us like the clown. I said, oh, they we hadn't a fire.
Speaker 3: The lady I said, we'll be back for you. I'll be right back we had, and they tried to act like it was. I said, baby, you caught the wrong one today. She's very nice. Not I will be back here. The whole store is closing down, bringing out crocks and everything. But so smoke, you don't caught one. I am crazy like that.
Speaker 1: Like I like that kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: It is like I said, yes, I say fix it, fix it. But we was in the private room and we were covering there doing it. I said, how many bags you got?
Speaker 4: Ten?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well they brought out everything. I said, I take bathing suits, I'm finding silverware. I was living my best life. But she had one more time to be Okay, no problem. Headquarters in New York. Ye, not the two of you, Savannah is Yeah, I just moved using no names. I'm just very resourceful, like I don't use any names. But did your last day here? Honey? Crazy giving?
Speaker 1: You have everybody laughing. I love this story.
Speaker 3: That's so good. Okayell too. Remember that in Paris?
Speaker 1: What is wrong with everybody?
Speaker 3: It was crazy, it was crazy. She touched this bag. This man said, what do you say? He said, do not don't touch, don't touch.
Speaker 4: Put back, I said, I said, But but it caught me off guard because typically when it's like an exclusive situation, it'll say don't touch.
Speaker 3: I can read yeah.
Speaker 4: Very much so, and I can see very clearly, and there was nothing that said don't touch. And I'm in a merchandise store, like, let me see that man said don't touch.
Speaker 3: I said, you're fired, be right back. The whole store down. They was like the whole store was shut down. I said, yep, I said, sir, today's not the death. Just a little rinking back. Ain't even nothing to be Yeah, that part I'm saying.
Speaker 1: When that happens, do you does it give you a bad taste in your mouth?
Speaker 3: Like, are you like I'm done with Chanel? No, that's how the boss we're closing this store down. She can go like that, I'm proving a point. You're fired. That's the last.
Speaker 4: Person you like, Like, I'm I'm ruining the whole situation.
Speaker 3: Write in lovers. Yeah we're yeah, like you.
Speaker 1: Do not get my money, sir. No, no, sassy men, there is an epidemic happening. I don't know if you're aware of it.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I would like, I'm so out of the game.
Speaker 3: I see it obviously, I'm you know, I see it. But we were like, so.
Speaker 1: You don't like men that think they're the prize?
Speaker 3: What with us? Are you? Okay? So maybe this is a me problem, like I do you collaborate? Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'll use a public example. It's all over the internet and no shade to this person. So asap Rocky is doing an interview with Nessa Okay, she has a radio show in New York and he's like, I think women should take me shopping and she's like, excuse me, sir, and he was like yeah, and she was like why and he was like because I'm handsome, and everyone was like sassy. Men epidemic, Like it's like, what is happening?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: And I'm dating I do experience it. They really, specially in Los Angeles, they really feel.
Speaker 3: They're the price interesting. So that's a note for you, I guess for me, I mean, if you're both financially comfortable, I'm not like, oh I can't pay for that. I don't feel that way necessarily. Like people talk a lot about male female roles, I'm not cooking, so don't look at me to do it ever in life, So I'm not the one. So like, I'm just going to get done whatever I have to get done to make my life easier. So whatever that consist of, it doesn't have to include you or not include you. I'm also very thoughtful, but I'm not going out and being like, hey, baby, let me take you shopping. Maybe we've been together for ten years, but like, also, don't you got something to do? So I guess I'm confused on the dynamics of things, but I feel like when you're with somebody, you're equally partnered with. I don't look at Asap and think to myself, he definitely is not taking Rihanna shopping. I don't think to myself like that. I think that he got a Chanelle deal. He like, let me get some bags with my baby. He's had Rocking Baby Pink Chanelle's shoes on his bag, so like for his daughter. Like, I don't think that people look at that. And I think being with my friend, if there's a birthday coming up or something for a partner, we be brainstorming. We be like, all right, what's a good gift? Like? So I don't I guess maybe in dating that is odd. I don't mean what man is asking to be taking shopping and dating. But ASAP's example is not relevant. He'd been married from they've been together now, they had three kids, I mean eight or nine years. I don't think that that's a fair assessment. And then the internet it's like, oh sassy man, I don't know. I feel like when you're in partnership with somebody and there's a clear understanding, it shouldn't be based on that. If you think you're getting used, then you have a self wealth issue and you should go work on that in therapy. Like that doesn't have anything to do with him. If he's running up your credit card, you're out of your mind. Like, I just think that that's odd, Like why would you allow that? And so I don't even lend money my parents, So I'm definitely not given no man, no money. But like if we're out shopping, I'm like, let me get you a pair of shoes, or he buys me something.
Speaker 4: I just never buy a man a pair of shoes. Huh, Never buy a man. Is they gonna walk out of your life? Oh Lord, never buy a man a pair of shoes.
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 4: I haven't, But I'm just saying, like, yeah, lots of things you're not supposed to do.
Speaker 3: She's gonna tell me your bag grift guard. Yeah that's funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna do some rapid fire with you. Okay, what's something that you're much better at than people would expect?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think people expect, but I'm like a beauty guru.
Speaker 3: I do all the things. Did you do your own makeup today? It is good?
Speaker 1: I've been staring at it.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: So, I don't know if that's like people wouldn't know, but I take pride in that because I enjoy it. Yeah, guru status for I could run fifty errands in two hours. Like I feel like I'm always on an amazing race in my own life with myself.
Speaker 3: I'm like like, like I fight joying that.
Speaker 1: I do want to see you on that show because I'll watch you won't watch your own season.
Speaker 3: Crush, Like I'd be like, all right, what we're gonna do?
Speaker 1: What we?
Speaker 3: You know? Like I feel like people don't realize my close friends like, yo, you so efficient, It's crazy how much stuff you can get done before noon. But yeah, I would say that that is something they wouldn't expect.
Speaker 1: Okay, what something you're terrible at?
Speaker 3: Answering emails?
Speaker 4: Mm?
Speaker 3: Terrible? Terrible? Answer is terrible as much cooking? No, I'm not terrible. I'm like I survive now terrible. It's like not, I don't do anything that. Yeah, that's not my vibe. Like I think I read competition all the time. So any as soon as I step out the bed, the Devil's like here come, I feel like that is who I am. So I don't think I do anything terrible. Do I think I do things? Hmm, that's a good one. I mean subpar. No, I loved It's not my body.
Speaker 1: But she said, yeah, okay, what's the most Savannah thing about Savannah being whimsy?
Speaker 3: She's so whimsy, like I call it, like, hey, I like just sniff its emails. She's like, no, girl, what you do is drinking about coffee likee this and eat my fruits and just whimsy like you you can't even be mad at it. We were like, oh my god, sometimes I didn't, you know, I never see myself as whimsy, but sometimes I'll find myself being like jealous. How the fuck she wiz you got nine hundred emails?
Speaker 5: Like, but she just is like hey, like and it just is so unaware, but like in the most beautiful, pure way that you can't even be mad at it.
Speaker 3: So it's just like I love it because there's a pureness to it. So I'm just like, all right, I ain't mad at you, but can you do me a favor. We had to answer this email. We gotta get back to this person. Do the money. She's like, okay, I'll call you back. Does she want to call back? I'm like, email back, I got things to do this. She gonna call back. We'll talk about her, but that I think being whimsy.
Speaker 1: What's the most April thing about April?
Speaker 4: I would say the most April thing about April is her confidence. Yeah, she is gonna stay in ten toes in that confidence. Baby, you can't tell her nothing. She made a comment that I could not believe flew out of her bow about so long ago, and I'm like, you know what, you can't again, you can't do nothing, but respective Yeah, like, girl, I'm not sure if I can make that comment on the show. But the comment was that, and that's exactly what I'm saying. The confidence is through The the most April thing about April beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's not terrible at anything either.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I hope Zuri gets that. That's me too, miraculous, me too. Okay, favorite lip Komba.
Speaker 4: Right now, is limitless brown makeup forever liner. I have a oh my gosh, I don't know why the name of the glosses escape in me right now, I want to say House of Glam lip gloss. It's like a neody kind of gloss perfection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I had a summer Friday's is my gloss and I never wore lipliner. I used to hate it. What hate? Tell me? She changed your mind? She changed my mind. She you have to wear lipliner. This is just crazy and I'm like, oh my gosh. And then I got a gift package from Mary Phillips and I love her lipliner, and I wear lipliner now I love that.
Speaker 1: You do you want the best of it? Like if we're talking lipliner, Mary Phillips is one of the best.
Speaker 3: I love her. I'm super so part of her gin and but I love the product. And now I wear lip line. I'm six months in.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned you mentioned that you're about to be forty. What's something you are going to become more confident about.
Speaker 4: I think the through line is just continuing to use my voice, just continuing to say beautiful, the things have the hard conversations just keep in.
Speaker 3: That, beautiful.
Speaker 1: What's the best gift that you've ever given my love? Best gift you've ever received?
Speaker 3: Love? Beautiful? How do I talk that love? Ditto? I mean, I feel like we get a lot of things. We can also purchase a lot of things. I think that there is no price Onani really loving you. Yeah, And I feel like if I really love you, oh, you are in the favor of God. You seem like you love hard, hard big, Like we going to what we're doing? Like, what are we doing? Robbing a bank, going to strip club? We're doing it all And I'm loving you in the same day, Yes, in the same day and closing down Chanelle. So I just feel like, Yes, I feel like I am a big lover and I feel like I've guarded myself a lot through life to not allow me to love big because I feel like people don't value that as much as I do. So just finding the right place to place that.
Speaker 1: What quality do you hope your sons get from you?
Speaker 3: I love them so much. To be kind, but be kind without caution, beautiful. I think I'm kind, but I'm very cautious. So most people think I'm mean, and I think I hope my sons lead through the world being kind and not thinking that something is going to happen, and just being kind, and I feel like that's important.
Speaker 1: What do you hope Sarah gets from you from me?
Speaker 4: I hope she gets her humility to be nice to.
Speaker 3: People, to love people, and I hope that she.
Speaker 4: Can I hope that she can understand the the I guess I want her to know how much she changed me. Not necessarily what I can give to her, but just to always be super open with her about growing up and being fully herself and fully authentic and all of the things. But just for her to know how she changed me.
Speaker 1: It's really beautiful. Thank you both were giving you the show. This isn'tless she showed.
Speaker 3: I think they were appropriate. Just let people were gangster to play. Don't try us. You guys are really phenomenal. Thank you, thank you. It's great. Thank you so fun. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.