Speaker 1: Hey, evolks, it is Thursday, April thirtieth, and this weekend one of the biggest movies of the year is coming out. It is already guaranteed to be a hit, and fellas just sit this one out.
Speaker 2: And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Do you all even want? Do you care if we accompany you all to see Devil Wears Prada too this weekend?
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the woman and the relationship she has with her guide.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk. It's just say in general generally speaking, of course, it's individual, but is this a thing that guys just need to, Hey, enjoy this one with you girls?
Speaker 3: Well, I would just say it depends on the guy, because look this obviously this movie is spurring all sorts of girls' night out parties.
Speaker 4: Yes, all the.
Speaker 3: Women who watched this movie twenty years ago. The original Devilwar's product was out in two thousand and six, so a lot of us women who are around at that age might be getting together with old friends, good friends, new friends to watch this together. But I had this discussion with you, and this prompted this episode because I said, hey, obviously, yeah, we could. I could get a group of girls together. But I'm in an age now where look the truth is I I love being with you. And I said, would you want to go see this? Would you go see this with me? Should I go outsour this, outsource this and seek seeing this movie out maybe with my.
Speaker 4: Daughters or my girlfriends, or would you see this with me? And what did you say?
Speaker 2: Of course, I'll see it with you. But I didn't want to take away from an experience you might want to have. This is going to be a Barbie type phenomenon and maybe not make the same type of money, but as far as culturally the experience and how women are excited about it, it's that type of equivalent. Maybe this would even skews a little older type thing, so I didn't want to take that away. But I'm not sitting it out as so, oh my god, I don't want to see that thing. I enjoy going to any movie with you, And maybe that's what you're talking about. It depends on the health of a relationship. Yes, and well, of course I would love to go. I'll go anywhere with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In fact, so here's the deal.
Speaker 3: This might be so sappy, but I actually when I really enjoy something and have a blast with watching something or just taking something in. I always want to share it with you. So I actually wanted you to come, but I didn't want you to feel like you had to come. And then it just got me thinking how many guys are just like whooho, wifey.
Speaker 4: Or girlfriends got her thing with their girls.
Speaker 3: And I can go sit there and watch golf all day, or I can go golf with the guys, or I can go whatever, do my thing because she's got her thing.
Speaker 4: So and that probably.
Speaker 3: Is generally speaking, how most couples are probably going to approach devilwares proud of too. But not everybody.
Speaker 2: But that is the question. What generally should women do? What should guys do? Is this one where guys would just sit out and say, hey, honey, go enjoy it with the girls. Is this one that the girls prefer to go see it with the girls?
Speaker 4: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would say, as long as you didn't because you were oh this is so stupid or eye rolling or groaning. If you're going to ruin the experience and yuck and yuff the yum, then you should stay home. Okay, But if you can have some fun and laugh and just maybe try to understand why this is so appealing to so many of us women. Then I think it's cool if you want to be a part of it, want to experience it, want to see it, as long as you keep your negative opinions to yourself, you know.
Speaker 2: And help me. This is classified. This isn't rom com.
Speaker 3: It's called is what they say, like a it's like a rom calm drama like it.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit of everything.
Speaker 2: But the way minute the first one had a love story at the centerpiece.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was some. There was some love interest.
Speaker 3: Yes, Anne Hathaway was pulled between someone who she had been with and a new flashy journalist dude who she was potentially falling for, but the main focus. That wasn't the main focus. But it was a subplot. It was a subplot. It it's not a rom com for sure. It is not a flat out comedy, yes, but there's drama and there's romance, so there was Actually I think it's.
Speaker 4: A rom dram com. That's what I'm gonna call it.
Speaker 2: I'll start, still start.
Speaker 3: But right now, this movie they're saying is heavily skewed towards women over the age of thirty five.
Speaker 2: Research on the perfect sense.
Speaker 3: Although both of my daughters already have girl groups ready to go this weekend, they're all going to see the movie. They've already got their tickets. The core audience expected this weekend overwhelmingly female. Industry analysts are estimating seventy five to eighty percent of the opening weekend audience will be women.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that like a Milania I remember numbers from Malania being similar.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we went to go see that together.
Speaker 2: There was nothing but women in the audience of a certain age. But yes, that those numbers make perfect sense.
Speaker 1: Did you.
Speaker 4: Did you see too? I mean, do you ever feel uncomfortable?
Speaker 3: I guess to be in an audience with mostly women, and you're the only guy.
Speaker 2: I seek out those audiences.
Speaker 4: That's home for you.
Speaker 2: No, but do you know what I was just at an event with you, recently dressed for success in Atlanta, right.
Speaker 3: You were probably one of four men in a sea of two hundred and fifty three hundred women.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought they were a little more.
Speaker 2: It's it's fine, it's okay. It's only when you're in that audience when it's Sometimes when the subject or the reason they're in the room is a really strictly female theme. It's like, I shouldn't be here. I feel like I'll be easy to drop along here.
Speaker 3: But I actually liked the idea of you being there because I think you being in on some of these jokes.
Speaker 4: So being in on some of what makes.
Speaker 3: Us happy, laugh, excited, whether it's fashion, humor whatever, I do think it's fun to have you be a part of it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: I think it actually can bring a couple a little closer if the other person who's being exposed to something maybe a little bit different is open to it and looking at it as an opportunity to understand.
Speaker 4: Perhaps even more right, I am.
Speaker 2: With you there and rogues you know this. Yes, you're very familiar with this because you were there when this was all happening. I until at five years ago, I had never seen devil Ware's product, and it was a big deal made out of it on Air Live and Good Morning America. I had never seen the movie. I know what it is, I respect what it is, but I hadn't seen it. I went I think that weekend, came back and announced that I had seen it, and I wasn't moved. But here's the thing though, and this is where I would encourage any guy Robes. Some of my favorite, like in the top ten favorite actors working today are in this movie. And you know, Emily Blunt is one of my favorite humans walking and she I didn't realize she was in the first one.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a huge role, yes, and she plays such a bach it's so fun, a nervous, scared, kiss ass Batch Robes.
Speaker 2: So many of those people have become the biggest superstars working. Mel Streep was already in her own zone. Stanley Tucci, yes, but now between Tucci is his profile has even risen after the first one came out.
Speaker 4: But Anne Hathaway are.
Speaker 2: Aaaa lists yes now, So even if you're not interested in the movie, you love those people who are in it, negotie it and.
Speaker 3: The fact that they got all of them to return for this is such a big deal. Just and look, the reviews are in, I believe right now as of this recording, seventy eight percent and pretty much the critics are saying this, if you loved the first one, you're gonna love the second one.
Speaker 4: Period.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of a modern twist in fact, they said, if you're a journalist, especially if you're in print or in any sort of magazine type journalism, this is a horror story or a horror movie, because yes, it clearly points out the declining numbers for folks in print, broadcast, et cetera. If you're a journalist right now, it is a well, let's just call it an evolving career that might not be as stable as it once was considered.
Speaker 4: And this movie goes there and talks about all of that.
Speaker 3: So it does have some modern elements to it, which makes it cool as well.
Speaker 4: Now, I actually went on to AI.
Speaker 3: I haven't used a lot of it, but I see my daughters doing it all the time, and I thought it would be funny. I actually put a search in saying should you bring your man to devil?
Speaker 4: Where's Prada?
Speaker 3: Tode? And it gives me a whole list reasons to bring him, and then a list of reasons he.
Speaker 4: Might not enjoy it.
Speaker 3: So I thought we could have some fun and go through that list with you, TJ, and then it will help. Maybe any of you are sitting at the on the fence thinking, hmm, should I bring my guy with me?
Speaker 4: Should I just go with my girlfriends.
Speaker 3: These are basically the pros and cons of bringing your guy to the theater to see Devilwaar's Prota Tow. We'll have those for you when we come back. And welcome back to this episode.
Speaker 4: Of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 3: We are talking about the Devilwaar's Prada to It opens this weekend. Lots of girls' night outs plan for so many women, but there might be some of us present party included, who were really wanting to see this movie with our guys and then wondering is he gonna like it? Is he not gonna like it? And what he thinks about it? And how much is that going to impact my experience of the movie. And DJ has said that he is more than willing and actually, would you say you're happy to go? You're willing to go? How would you categorize it?
Speaker 2: Robes, I love the four Leads. There's nothing else to talk about. I will go see Meryl Streep do anything. I don't give a damn if you tell Meryl Streeper is in a movie about a stripper and she's the stripper. Let's go see what that's about. I don't care if you're tell me that she plays. I don't care what she does. I will go watch MARYL. Streep and Hathaway is. She's close to Hollywood royalty in a way. I know, we got what really sexy actresses and all this not saying she obviously she's stunning, but robes. She is a throwback to a time that I just love and respect. You know how I feel about Emily Blunt. She's christ Stanley Tucci? How much? How much cooler can you get? This dude is wonderful. Bros. What I'm saying to you, I am excited to see those four people on a screen together.
Speaker 3: All right, So you just told me that we're gonna have a good time going to see Double Ware.
Speaker 2: And you know what, any guy out there, don't ruin an experience of any movie with If she's excited for you to be sitting there next to her, don't sit there and being asked, yeah, don't sit there and say this is dumb, but this is really Don't do that. Just come on, give her that and enjoy. We can sit there for two hours and bite your tongue or try to enjoy. Don't just that's not a good way to be. Okay, Really, I know we don't have a mass, huge male audience here, But my goodness, fellas give her that.
Speaker 4: I agree. It's not a lot to ask.
Speaker 3: They do have on AI the reasons to bring your guy and the reasons that he might not enjoy it.
Speaker 4: I wanted to get your take on this.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many you got on each?
Speaker 4: How many one two three four?
Speaker 3: One two three? So four reasons to bring him? Three reasons maybe why you shouldn't. Okay, all right, reasons to bring him. It's a good natured date movie.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: The sequel is described as fun, breezy and a serviceable comedy, making it a comfortable, lighthearted option for movie night. So just if you look at it as a date night, that would be one way to do it. High fashion appeal. Does your guy like your Gucci Prada?
Speaker 2: If it?
Speaker 3: If your guy likes style or has any interest in fashion, he might actually appreciate that part of the mo is.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a tougher sell for most men. Come on, honey, let's see this. They're gonna have the latest fashion. Okay, let's let's go to number three. Baby.
Speaker 3: I thought that's why you liked the Kardashian show. All that fun fashion, all's fair.
Speaker 2: It was fun to look at. I wasn't analyzing looking for a spring, all right.
Speaker 3: But it's just pretty to look at. They're okay, fine, that's more for the girls. Fine, the cast chemistry. And you've already talked about fans of the original enjoy seeing Meryl Streep and Hathaway, Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci reunite, so you're in on that. And then here's the other reason why. I don't know what this says about men. Oh, it's not too heavy. Unlike some dramatic sequels, this one is a celebratory reunion rather than a life changing film. I guess the implication is men don't like heavy films or life changing films.
Speaker 4: That doesn't seem fair, but.
Speaker 3: They're One of the reasons to bring him is it's just not too heavy, it's not too deep. It's just fun, just slighthearted, exactly, okay, all right. Reasons he might not enjoy.
Speaker 2: It, it's gotta be good.
Speaker 3: Repetitive plot reviews note that the plot relies heavily on the formula of the first film, which might be predictable.
Speaker 2: Wow, a movie being formulated formulaic shocker, I watch horror movies.
Speaker 4: Okay, wait, this one is. Yes, that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: This one is making me laugh so hard because I feel like this is a reason why you would like it.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons why they say he might not.
Speaker 3: Enjoy it the lack of rom The romantic subplots are described as dull and chemistry free, so it's not a strong romantic movie.
Speaker 4: That's a plus for most of them.
Speaker 2: That's fine. I don't want to see that savvy shit.
Speaker 3: You're like, I don't really care about the romance part of it, so okay, I actually think that goes into the category of why you should bring him, and then reasons he might not enjoy it. It's described as a softer or more sugary version of the original, so it loses some of the sharp satire that it was known for in its original.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because most guys remember the sharp satire from the first one.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, this is this makes me laugh. They had like, I've never really done this ai thing. But they have a verdict if he loved the first one or enjoys snappy dialogue in fashion it's.
Speaker 4: A solid choice.
Speaker 3: Okay, if he hated the first or if he prefers action over fashion world drama.
Speaker 4: He might want to sit this one out.
Speaker 2: What's the's the that's the thing with gay best Friend.
Speaker 4: Gb GBF GBS.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously GBF is an obvious choice for a day night. Yes, OK on this one, but I do think it's funny they say basically, whether or not you should bring your man to this sequel is depends on whether he enjoys nostalgic, fashion driven comedy or does he prefer high stakes action. I believe that most women would be pretty safe to say that's fine that their men prefer.
Speaker 4: The latter of the two.
Speaker 3: But to what you say is maybe this isn't about what your man prefers, and just about the experience of the date night robes.
Speaker 2: There is I have gone to places with you. You've gone to places with me that you would never have chosen to do on your own.
Speaker 4: The entire month of March could fall into that category.
Speaker 2: That is true. But places I've taken you and people you've hung out with, places you've taken me, and I've hung out with folks and done things I've never would have done. They were experiences, and you know what, I wouldn't have done it on my own, but I had a frickin' blast. Wat can you be happy or experiencing something new? It's just what it is. And if I said I didn't like it, you know what, you didn't take me the second, the third, of the fourth time. It's okay. This is what a relationship is. And yes, devil Wear's Brada is another opportunity, a simple one to compromise in a relationship, to concede, to give something in a relationship or from the other side, to offer something, to bring somebody into your experience robes. This is very I always say, this is simple stuff, and if your relationship is struggling, this is an easy way to ease into compromise. Meryl Streep can do it for you.
Speaker 4: I love that. That is such a good way to look at this.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I want to give you kudos because just two weeks ago you sat through a musical on Broadway about the Cold War, Yes, which the focus and theme of that musical was chess. Yes, And you knew I loved that musical and you came anyway, Yes.
Speaker 2: Because I love a night out. Because you know what, I had a hot date that night, I got a good dinner, I had good drinks, my woman dressed up. She looked amazing, and I said around, I learned new things, I saw new people, and I saw wonderful talent on stage. Yes, Robes, I had a good night. I never ever ever want to see Chess again, but I had a wonderful night at Chess.
Speaker 4: Amazing. So hope that helps.
Speaker 3: If any of you all were deciding who, when where to see the devil, Whar's prada to make it happen and let us know what you think.
Speaker 4: But we will find it.
Speaker 3: Not I don't know when we're seeing it, but when we do, if we have strong opinions, we'll walk back on. But otherwise I will we'll just enjoy it like the rest of you. And with that, everyone, thank you for listening to us. As always, we appreciate you. I made me Robock alongside TJ. Holmes.
Speaker 4: We will talk to you soon.