Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You. I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, break over, mugs confiscated. We're going to start part two now about ten minutes in. Amy take us away.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so let's start with this scene that we haven't gotten to.
Speaker 3: Dissect lower life.
Speaker 2: First of all, is sitting at the table with the chocolate syrup and a bunch of marshmallows.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, did you notice that.
Speaker 2: I wanted it in foul? Although I'm not like I only like milty marshmallows. But I digress.
Speaker 1: How does that woman stay so thin? How a character stay so thin?
Speaker 3: Literally?
Speaker 1: Truth, you fill up a bag with chocolate syrupf you fill it up with marshmallows, and you just what?
Speaker 3: So I love this scene.
Speaker 1: That's twenty pounds for me in a bag right there, that's twenty pounds.
Speaker 2: She calls her parents, Richard answers, Emily gets on. Their sort of back and forth was hilarious, and she says, tells the news, you know what I mean, Like Christopher's paying for Yale and they are. You feel everything from them even though they don't say it, and only so pissed.
Speaker 3: She eventually hangs up and Richard, you know, is just he's so.
Speaker 2: Disappointed and not in Loralai. He's just disappointed because he wants to pay for school, which we talked about in the last episode. You know, I did like that he sort of gave her a little laugh at the end, and there was at least it wasn't so it wasn't cold, and he knows he's not mad at her.
Speaker 1: Here's what should Here's what should have happened. Okay, in the real world, what you want to have happened is you want to have either loreal I or Rory, preferably Rory ree Suzanne go to them and sit down and talk about it before any decisions are made. They're angry because the decision was made of such magnitude that could affect Rory's future and it wasn't even a discussion. They weren't even considered, so it is offensive they were erased, and I doubt that is a big decision that needs to be discussed out of respect and out of concern for Rory's future and the future of that relationship between those four is to pay them the respect to visit and we have to can we need to discuss something and then bring it up, then what do you think? And then you know, and I took it upon ourselves to make the decision. Well on consulting themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, Rory did, really, I really think Rory, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: They owed them that much. If somebody's paying for your college and then all of a sudden they say, well we decided to go another way. That's offensive. I think that's offensive.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you're right because I think they they wanted to do it, almost negated how what they had done, and Laura La later acknowledges it, like or even in that phone call she says, like, she wouldn't have had Chiltern without you, she wouldn't have gotten to Yale. She wouldn't have had Yale, she could have been a community college.
Speaker 4: Right, So I think that.
Speaker 2: At first glance, you think, oh, it's money. Why do they care, they're just saving their money. It's bigger than that, and they wanted to do that for her so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm changing my position on this. I said earlier that it's her kid and it's grown right, But no, they were owed a conversation before a decision was made because they're they're all in on their daughter. I mean, it's it's just just a total lack of respect.
Speaker 4: Well that's why, that's why I made that comment about like why wouldn't Rory just and ESCUSEI had made a point of Rory doesn't never handle anything on her own. But they deserve that out of respect, They deserved to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do. Anyway, all right, let's let's let's hit the accelerator on this because uh.
Speaker 2: So okay, so let's let's let's quickly talk about a couple of things before we get to the iconic ending scene. So so the you know, we've got the thing that saves the day with the paper. I also think we should talk just a little bit more. We've got the big scene at the at the ice cream shop where they're looking into the diner, those you know, all of it's important, right, that's a very important scene. I think we talked about it a lot in the In the last episode, Suki comes over, so we haven't talked about the scene. Let's talk about this really quick. Suki come over to take paul Anka for the walk we talked about. That's where we hear the Hey, April's gonna be here from five to eight, So i'll see you after eight and there's almost sort of softly snarky response.
Speaker 3: From Lorlai, like, I guess that's what we decided, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which I didn't really agree with.
Speaker 3: Really tell me more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just feel like, going back to the conversation we had in the other episode, he deserves that time with April, and I feel like she needs to respect it in the same way that Luke respected she needed her time to figure out how to get through her relationship with Rory, and so like, I understand her being bummed about it, but for her to be kind of snarky, it's like, oh, like, that's what we decide, Like, you know, that's what they decided. It felt like she felt left out, but I don't think she should because she should understand that he's just trying to make right in this little girl's life.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: So then we sort of on the heels of that, have the scene this is the scene I was talking.
Speaker 3: About in the bedroom.
Speaker 2: So Luke is coming out of the bathroom and Laura lies in the bed and they're talking and she's doing lotioning. By the way, that's a whole acting thing. I see actors just lotioning for days. It's like they need something to do, so there and they're, no, there's no lotion.
Speaker 1: It's it's the perfect thing to do because it doesn't make any noise.
Speaker 3: And there's no lotion. I'm convinced, like.
Speaker 1: Sound apartments love the low hand lotion thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they sure do.
Speaker 2: So they talk about like she's a reader and she knows the geometry and the whole thing. And I felt bad for her because he's so excited and she's faking being.
Speaker 3: Excited about it.
Speaker 2: She's so he's so happy and she's just not a part of it. So that was sort of what I felt there. I wrote, Oh no, her face, Oh.
Speaker 1: No, Well, it's called the Gilmore Girls, Luke and Laurli, and it's not called Luke and April. It's called the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they do acknowledge there, at least Luke does. He was sort of disappointed in the town, right, And I get that because even though I understood the gossip and the fodder of it and the staring and is that Luke's kid, she's a reader?
Speaker 3: Is that Luke's kid? That's you know, all that that happens in the ice cream shot.
Speaker 2: If I were Luke, and I looked over and saw the entire town looking at me through a window.
Speaker 3: With my kid, I would be like, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, you know that was just a death defying one one shot, no coverage on that. It was just Kenny set up the camera and said go. And that was a fairly long scene. And Sally, you see how great all those actors are, Sally, Liz, Torres, Lauren just playing off each other and all those super fast cues and all the comedy that was happening. You gotta you gotta watch that a bunch of times, because one time you key on Sally and how great and funny she is, and then key on Liz, key on Lauren, and then Sean comes in at the perfect time. And there are also two guest actorsay Day players who came in and delivered a couple of lines and they agree nerve racking thing about it. For those actors, it's like, God, we're gonna come in and we can't scrope. We only have one line. That's hard to do. And they came in, did a great job, and then Sean comes in and delivers that fine line. There were no edits, there there were no cuts. It was just like do it and that's a Kenny or Tega thing that allowed the actor to do their thing. It was fantastic.
Speaker 2: It reminds me Great Great a dance number, so like, it's so choreographed, it's high school musical, it's a you know immediately it's a dance number.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows their move and they it was good. There was nothing not good about it.
Speaker 2: And the fact that in my mind even right now I watched this last night, I just see the window and all those faces perfectly in the window, and you're like, yeah, and you and you were really good with April in it, and she's really good not even noticing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she didn't look up and that was cool.
Speaker 3: Just like a twelve year old would. They don't care.
Speaker 1: But that's the kind of scene that defines Stars Hollow and defines it for the fans and makes people just go, oh, wish I lived there. Yeah, because they're involved and they care every you can call them gossipy, you can call them, you know, busy bodies, and you know, whatever you want, but they care, and they care about Luke ultimately, and they care about April now, they care about Lorelei. It's it's it's a nice feeling.
Speaker 2: Their gossip wasn't mean it was God have been talking about it, and I would too.
Speaker 3: I know that if that happened, I would be like, oh my god. But it's not mean.
Speaker 1: Caregistered, right, they care, they register it. This is a guy we love, you know, he's you know, he's a little cantankerous and.
Speaker 3: First judgment, there's no judgment, it's just love. Like, oh my gosh, this is so this is so exciting, like.
Speaker 1: Something's happening, Something happens happening out of the ordinary energy. There's a new energy in town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I chuckled. I mean even just so they're lining up for the hot Coco. I was so like, what are they lining up for? They get their hot coco? And then but Bet comes in.
Speaker 4: Like way line is like, oh here's two to god, it's so good. Oh she's so funny, do you guys, there's just one little thing. It's like I don't know if you consider it a flag, but you know how like Loreli didn't know who Anna was, and then I blanking out her name, but what was Luke's ex girlfriend's name?
Speaker 3: The jacket? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, the one that everybody.
Speaker 4: Chol, Rachel, Rachel, and everyone knew. It makes me think like Larela has been there for a really long time, but she doesn't know about these little things.
Speaker 2: And Luke's I think so if you think about it, Rory is nineteen twenty and this is at least twelve thirteen years ago. Okay, And I don't think they moved to Stars Hollow. I do think the math tracks. Somebody will correct us.
Speaker 3: Okay, they lived at the inn.
Speaker 1: She was a Star's Hollow with a baby, with Rory as a baby.
Speaker 2: No, they were at the when they were at the inn with you know, when the inn owner took them in.
Speaker 3: They were living in that little It was a bit.
Speaker 2: Of time before she got the house and stars Hollow.
Speaker 1: But they're in stars But wait a minute, where was the inn located.
Speaker 2: Slightly on the outskirts, right, it's not quite in stars.
Speaker 4: They were living in like the shack like they showed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not like where the dragonfly. The dragonfly is in stars Hollow.
Speaker 1: The other end that young Laurel I and baby Rory were not in stars Hollow, and they didn't frequent Luke Steiner, and they didn't.
Speaker 4: Stars Hollow adjacent, right, Yeah, Luke hasn't known Rory since she was a baby.
Speaker 3: He met her leader.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I always just wonder the timeline of like his exes that Laurel I like has no clue about.
Speaker 3: Well, you think they would have talked about it, That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like they've been there for so long that.
Speaker 3: You'd think that he would mention these people more, or that she.
Speaker 4: Was or that she would hear it from Bebet or Patty or someone.
Speaker 1: Right, true, true, true, true. Strange.
Speaker 2: So now the moment that's for Colombo to figure out exactly. So we see them at the door, and that's a shot that we've seen it, but we don't see it for so long. Right there at the door, it was the first time I really noticed the gate and there's some sort of bird looking thing on the gate or whatever, and I thought to myself, it.
Speaker 3: Really looks real.
Speaker 2: That's in a studio, right, that's on a sound stage, and lorelaire at the front door of the Gilmours and it's actually, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: It does look good. That was not one of those times when I'm like this is so fake or whatever.
Speaker 2: Now Rory is wearing she really has worn that scarf quite a lot in this episode because she was wearing that scarf with the big circles on it, and they're at the door and they're sort of playing some sort of game or some antics are going on as they're sort of gathering themselves up to come in. They come into the living room, Richard's on the couch reading and Emily's painting at the yard at the pool the heat lamps out there, and then.
Speaker 3: We get to it.
Speaker 2: I actually did not take notes during this because I really wanted to enjoy the scene, so I just sat back and watched.
Speaker 3: It was so good, so good, the whole thing.
Speaker 4: It was like how you said, it was like it was choreographed. It was like a dance.
Speaker 2: The camera, Scott, the camera, the way they shot it, and it was so different. You immediately were like, oh, I have to watch. So I just put my paper down and just sat back and watched.
Speaker 3: I laughed.
Speaker 1: That was like watching you know, Broadway level theater. Yeah, that was no longer television. That was a theater experience, a live theater experience. The Kenny choreographed and it was the results were Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes they're fighting, then they're laughing, then they're loving.
Speaker 3: Then they're drinking.
Speaker 1: I mean, but it all started when you know, Emily was heading back outside and Laurel I stood up and forced the issue by the by the by the bar. Yeah, And she told Richard to stop, told Emily to stop, told Rory to stop, and they all stopped in this formation and folded their arms with their her with their to her, and we're gonna then we figure.
Speaker 4: This out before that night.
Speaker 2: And then it's just boom. It's like a big dance words instead of music. And even the way some of the fighting was off camera, like when we're seeing Loralai and Richard on the couch and Emily and.
Speaker 4: Yelling in the bag.
Speaker 2: Yes, Emily and Rory are yelling, and then even like Rory saying she doesn't want to quit the da ar. I mean, even the content of the fighting was meaty content.
Speaker 3: It was all the things that there was a lot.
Speaker 4: In that little amount of time they kind of like went through like a full episode of.
Speaker 3: I Agree with You.
Speaker 2: They addressed so many right, it wasn't sort of just fight, fight, bark, bark.
Speaker 3: It was like actual meat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing that bothered me about it, here's the thing that bothered me about if they went, you know, and obviously this was discussed between Amy, Dan and Kenny. Okay, like, we're going way off the reservation here, you know what I mean, We're really departing from the style of this show. Here's how I want to do it. Maybe it was Amy's idea. I have no idea. I can't remember if it was scripted, but something like this probably came from, you know, maybe a collaboration between all of them, and Kenny threw in some ideas and they had some ideas because you know, yeah, I'll come back and directing up another episode. But here's my vision, here's what I want to do with this. Let me let's sit down and talk about it, and then maybe they agreed to it. So the only drawback in my view was the actual hostge. It made me very uncomfortable when Emily was screaming at Rory, when her anger was it's such a fever pitch that she was screaming at her own granddaughter, and it just hurt my heart a little bit. It made me very hard. Yeah, yeah, I mean, she was getting attacked by her grandmother because you know, they were no longer paying for their her tuition, and I just thought, oh, man, I wish I hadn't seen that. To me, that wasn't Gilmore Girls. It was an interesting departure from what we know in love about the show, and that's the risk you take for you know, got a lot of great stuff out of it, got a lot of great enjoyment. But I did not like seeing her spoken to that way.
Speaker 3: Well we've seen that before.
Speaker 2: We saw that when they had their big fight a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it made me sad because they said, look look how look how low they are. Now look at this. I mean, they love They're supposed to love their granddaughter and support her. And the comedy all comes from all the confusion and miscommunications and you know, family history and all that, but it's all it's light fair. This turned into like Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Speaker 3: Well, it's very heavy stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like heavy drama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I uh.
Speaker 2: It had highs, it had lows, It had laughs, it had tears and had anger.
Speaker 3: It did ugly, but it was very real thing.
Speaker 1: It got ugly with Paris too, and I'm like, boy this.
Speaker 2: Yeah that I could have done without the Paris stuff and just had this because the thing I took away from it is, even when they come out at the front door and their hair is all disheveled and it's so probably so late at night. Right the family's back because you can only fight like that with your family and then be like see you next week.
Speaker 3: And that's basically what they're saying.
Speaker 2: They just had this huge twelve round fight ups, downs, laughs, and the.
Speaker 4: Next week everything, Yeah, like they were literally reinstated fright night dinners, even though they're like disheveled with their hair. I actually liked the scene with their hair and mass at the end because.
Speaker 3: It's like that's how I felt.
Speaker 4: It was like whiplash watching that.
Speaker 1: It was like an evening of mud wrestling.
Speaker 3: Yes, but have you.
Speaker 2: Ever had like a fight with your family and then ten minutes later you're playing my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I'll I can't argument with my mom and she'll be like, what are you all for dinner? Like twenty minutes later, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, like it's so it is like families.
Speaker 2: I always think about, like, does anyone have that family where that doesn't happen, where it's just like the Cleavers. But for me, it's always I mean, there's always some drama, but yet ten minutes later, everyone's like doing some wares who's coming And You're just like, oh my god, how do these people just ping pong like that?
Speaker 1: But that I think there are families that don't argue, but I think they're in Holland.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always imagine Scandinavians being much more better tempered. Reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even like I just even with kids, like I think about my nieces, like they have just like outbursts and then they say sorry and then everything's back to normal. It's just like kids too. It's just the nature of kids and parents. And I don't know, it just seemed so real. But how about when they talk about when they're all on the couch kind of drunky, laughing and they rehash what Emily said to missus Huntsberger and they redo that whole thing. Oh but then all yeah, the best part of that final scene, Oh my god, it reminded me of Frozen two. So not only was that awesome when they recreate and talk about what Emily said, but when Laura I recreates the scene when she came over with the plan and she plays all the parts. So she's sitting at the table and they and we've got a plan, We're in it with you, you know, and she reacts, redoes it and plays all the parts. It totally reminds me of Frozen two when ole Off catches you up on what happened in Frozen one. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: I know exactly what scene you're talking about where he gives like forty five to second spiel.
Speaker 2: So Olof goes through this whole thing where he literally tells the whole plot of Frozen one in three minutes and Frozen two, and that was literally what Loralai did at the table. It's almost like we all have to rewatch that scene as its own episode.
Speaker 4: I did watch it twice. Just goes so much.
Speaker 3: Anyway, ten out of ten on that scene.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not giving out Oh you don't rip your you don't rip up your granddaughter like that and getting You're not getting a ten from me?
Speaker 2: Really, so no, no, no, I'm giving the episode a ten out of ten and that scene a ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: But now I have to think of.
Speaker 2: What I oh, I know, ten hats with numbers on.
Speaker 1: Him or ten numbered hats.
Speaker 3: Ten suffered hats that I'll say ten.
Speaker 1: With numbered designations and Tara, what is what do you?
Speaker 4: I will give it ten Late Yale Daily Newspapers.
Speaker 1: Okay, really two tens. I'm going to give it. I'm going to deduct I think I'm going to deduct five tenths. I'm going to give it a nine point five. I'm going to deduct nine tenths for lunatic Paris and Emily ripping her granddaughter in the the sequence, the ending sequence. I'm going to give it nine point five straight jackets.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm so oh, I'm so mad. Oh I know, I say intentionally. I never write down my favorite line, like I write down my favorite lines, but I never call out this is my favorite line.
Speaker 3: This was telling my favorite line. The hoots don't say the hoots.
Speaker 1: Don't use that word anymore. Please creepy.
Speaker 3: Don't says.
Speaker 4: I like when Laurel I did the little British accent and she's like, spit spot let the corkyes.
Speaker 1: Doing her Queen of England. Yeah, okay, so that's your favorite line. Favorite line for me was it's between Babette's Scotch tape line and and Laurele I calling it Hartford. What did she call it? Hartford? Hertford Shireville. Oh here where you standing where she was doing that whole speech. Oh yeah, that Hartford, she called it Hartford Shireville. Anyway, that is going to wrap it up. What is the next episode? Please? Somebody tell me what the next episode so we can wrap this up. For God's sake, you've been gilmourd.
Speaker 3: Oh, you've been Gilmore. This is you've been Gilmore.
Speaker 2: By the way, if we hadn't already just talked about this episode for hours on hours on hours, I would have wanted us all to recreate this scene. So maybe we'll do that as a special Christmas present, So stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Maybe all right, everybody, next episode, Season six, episode fourteen, You've been Gilmoured and I have a feeling this is a big episode because it sounds like a famous episode it's referred to anyway, best fans on the planet. Thank you, Tar, Thank you Amy. Susanne had to leave us early, but we will see her on the backside anyway. Hoping to see you guys on the front side at our event January seventeenth. Look on our socials for tickets, live and virtual streaming. And thanks for all the cards. Letters, Smoke signalss in the cloud flare guns, anything you're sending or seeing, We're reading all the best. Stay safe, dot everybody off again. Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.