Speaker 1: Welcome to Part Time Genius, the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Guess What Will?
Speaker 3: What's that Mango?
Speaker 1: So I was thinking about how sometimes we forget that all these simple things around us.
Speaker 2: Are really music, and what do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Like I was in traffic coming from the airport this weekend and everyone was honking, and I remembered how most cars actually honk in the key of F or.
Speaker 2: This is another thing.
Speaker 1: When I was in high school, this kid Sean, and my jazz band realized that our high school's bell rang at I think a G. So when the class was over and the first bell rang, everyone would harmonize and play a G seven chord on their instruments. It's so nerdy, so stupid, but of course I loved it. But this week I learned that if you want to get an alligator's attention, all you have to do is grab your tuba and play a B flat.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like that for this experiment, all you have to have You got to have an alligator and a tube nearby. But so at what exactly happens when you play a B flat?
Speaker 1: It is magical because for some reason, that note arouses male gators, and when an alligator hears it, it'll bellow.
Speaker 2: Or call back to you.
Speaker 3: Is this a real thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually got this great origin story. So apparently in the nineteen forties, the New York Philharmonic took a field trip to the Natural History Museum and while they were warming up there, this alligator named Oscar, who I guess was a part of the natural history exhibit at the time, he just started moaning.
Speaker 2: And you know, they're all these.
Speaker 1: Scientists there and they were watching, and you know, he'd start moaning, and then the instruments would play, and then he'd moan, and then he'd stop and it would start again.
Speaker 2: And so you know, the scientists stopped.
Speaker 1: The musicians and got them to start playing different notes to see what was specifically causing it. And for whatever reason, it turns out B flat was the key to the alligator call. Thanks to this great science done by Oscar and the New York Philharmonic, plenty of folks have actually repeated the experiment and gotten alligators to duet with them. But you actually have to remember, not any B flat works. You actually have to play the B flat that's one octave below middle seed to really get them going. Okay, that's just the first of nine wonderful facts we've got about alligators today.
Speaker 2: So let's dig in.
Speaker 4: Hey, their podcast listeners, welcome to part Time Genius. I'm Will Pearson and as always I'm joined by my good friend mangesh hot Ticketter and on the other side of that soundproof glass are good Buddy Ramsey. He's giving us his best toothy grin.
Speaker 3: All right, mego.
Speaker 4: So it's been a while since we've done one of these shows. I know I've actually missed it so much. And two things before we can this off.
Speaker 1: One, I promised that if and when we finally started doing the show again, we'd give a shout out to our listener's son, Apollo, who is a fan of the show or was a fan of the show. But Apollo, if you're listening, tag us on Instagram. We want to see what you're up to.
Speaker 3: What's up, Apollo, This weird.
Speaker 1: Show about alligators is for you. And two, Will, I know you've gone to Saint Pete's in Florida so many times, but I don't know why you didn't tell me that they keep baby alligators in their mini golf places there.
Speaker 4: The only downside to doing this episode is that I was hoping to save this for when we both, I know, both of us really want to retire to Florida, and since we're really bad at most sports instead of golf, we were going to retire there to play mini golf. And that's when I was going to tell you, Yeah, the big reveal.
Speaker 1: So my in laws rented a place there for winter break and we took my kids mini golfing. And the fact that there were tiny gators that you could feed these pellets so crazy. You put alligator food onto little fishing and send it down. Honestly, it was the greatest thing. And the mini golf was so unremarkable, but the fact that my tiny monsters were feeding these tiny monsters was just great. So I thought, you know, I wanted to learn more about gators.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. And actually you have one more reason, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this one's a little more personal. My dad has been pretty ill recently. I know I told you this, but he can't really watch things. But he loves you, and he has stacks of mental floss in his garage and he's a huge, huge, part time genius fan. So he and Apollo might be the only ones left off there. But I thought hearing us laugh and be goofy and sharing facts would make him smile. So thank you for making the time to do some more episodes with me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love your dad.
Speaker 4: This was a no brainer to do this, And it makes sense for this topic because when I think of your dad, I always think of his love for these big, aggressive reptiles. It's kind of like his thing. So it makes sense you pick this theme a special for him. But we've actually got eight facts to go. So what do you say I do the next one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go for it, all right.
Speaker 4: So I actually wanted to build on your b flat fact because bellowing is one of those things crocodiles do as a mating ritual. And so the bellow does this amazing thing to the water. It's where the alligator just raises his head and tail out of the water, so his back and belly are still submerged. You know, it's almost like if you imagine like a banana curved up and so you lower it into the water so both ends are sticking out and you know you can picture this, right, except instead of a banana, it's a just go with me, just just think about it. And so when the gator bellows or does its deep grow. These vibrations make the water around its body kind of kind of like ripple out. It's actually pretty spectacular if you look at this in slow motion, and it's very very appealing to female alligators of course, And.
Speaker 1: Is that the main way that male alligators like court females like They don't dim lights and play smooth.
Speaker 4: Jazz, neither of those things. But this is one part of it. So sometimes you'll hear one gator bellow and then another male gator we'll try to out below it by making its own giant ripples. But gators have some of the most amazing and really romantic courting rituals too. There was this piece in Wired I was looking at and they like quote head slapping on the water's surface, snout and back rubbing, and blowing bubbles, you know, the usual.
Speaker 3: It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: That's pretty romantic. So here's one I hadn't realized. I know, Cape Canaveral is in Florida, and it's where NASA launches and land shuttles, but I didn't realize the land around it is actually a wildlife sanctuary. And this is all stuff I learned in modern farmer. But in the nineteen sixties, NASA bought about one hundred and forty five thousand acres of coastal property there, but since they only needed about six thousand acres, they turned the rest into this Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. But according to modern farmer, that proximity to wildlife has definitely caused some issues. And I'm reading here quote morning commuters have to wait as bobcats cross the roadway. Shuttle launches are stalled by armadillo's woodpeckers, poke holes, and fuel tanks. But according to the guy who manages the island call center, the biggest issue at NASA is with, of course gators. And here's how we put it. Quote we've got gators blocking doorways, climbing fences. We've got little bitty ones to shore big enough gators. NASA employees are encouraged to keep alert indoors and out. You're never supposed to feed the gators, and always check on your cars before hopping in. And since I can't get off this b flat thing, sometimes when the shuttles land, the gators start bellowing because they're trying to outdo the shuttles.
Speaker 2: Mating call.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Actually, I think this episode could have just been about B flat. We should do a separate one just on B flat. But I need you to back up for a second. So what are you supposed to do if you see a gator?
Speaker 2: I mean, go back inside. I guess that's good advice.
Speaker 1: There's really only one account I read about an employee trying to deal with a gator on his own. He apparently made karate chopping motions and kept yelling hi yah, and the gator hissed and spit, but apparently eventually went away. So I guess if you know you have to deal with a gator, learn karate.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I'll think about that. And I actually I realized this is off topic. But did you read about the guy with the alligator at the drive through while you were researching.
Speaker 3: For this episode?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: What was this recently?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So this was again talking about Florida kind of reminded me about this. This is back from I think it was twenty sixteen. So there was this kid that apparently drove up to a Windy's. He made an order, he got his drink, and then of course he tossed a three foot gator through the window of the drive through. Yeah, thankfully nobody was heard, and he didn't really have a motive. Apparently his mom's defense to the local news was that, you know, he's just a big prankster and can't help himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pranksters, what happened to him?
Speaker 4: So he got charged with quote assault with a deadly weapon, which I guess is, you know, not far off. And the judge had some pretty strict terms for him. So one of the punishments he's banned from Wendy's for life. So, I mean, you gotta really think twice before you throw a game through a drive through because you cannot go back for that spicy chicken sandwich. And he was told that he couldn't frattenize with any animals except his mother's dog, which of course makes sense.
Speaker 1: So my son Henry does the worst pranks like he is under the mistaken impression that just saying April Fools absolves you of anything you do. And two years ago he decided to pour some water in our bed as a prank, and right before bed he took three giant pine glasses of water and poured.
Speaker 2: Them on our mattress.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, I got so mad we had to sleep on the guest bed in the living room for two days before the thing cried out.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, that's quite the frank.
Speaker 1: But I'm really hoping that he never gets access to alligators. So your fact kind of sounds like the most Florida headline I've not heard in a while. But but do you want to do another fact to make.
Speaker 2: Up for it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me see which one I want to want to do next. All right, Well, this is something I think is super cool. So alligators obviously seem tough because they've got that bony armor on their skin and they can climb fences like you mentioned and do these death rolls and things like that. But even their blood is actually tougher than ours.
Speaker 3: So part of the.
Speaker 4: Reason you never see an alligator with colds and flus, Like, have you ever seen an alligator.
Speaker 2: With a cold?
Speaker 1: Ango?
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't.
Speaker 3: It's weird you haven't, And that's because it's not them.
Speaker 4: No, it really doesn't doesn't work at all because they have this incredible immune system. These scientists in Louisiana have actually discovered that the serum and alligator blood can fight off viruses and bacteria can actually destroy most of the microbes in HIV. It's actually part of the reason that when an alligator tail is severed in a swamp, even if the water is muddy and dirty, the animals rarely get infections. So this discovery is incredible because it has all sorts of potential applications for humans. I was looking at this article in National Geographic talking about this, and it was showing that the resulting medicines could help everyone from like diabetes patients with foot ulcers, to burn victims, to people suffering from various autoimmune diseases.
Speaker 2: That's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny that something like a bat could get as COVID, but an alligator might be the one.
Speaker 2: To cure it.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Your here's a ridiculous one I like just because I like picturing it. Apparently alligators have two types of walks, a high walk and a low walk or a sprawl.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, the low walk.
Speaker 1: Is cooler, like they kind of drag their belly on the ground and they kind of lazily pull themselves along. But you know, whether on the move or late for a meeting, they high tail it. Literally they raise their bellies and half their tail up off the ground and they kind of stand upright on all fours and then they really move. And I didn't realize this, but according to our palas how stuff works, alligators aren't really hunters or gatherers. They're more what they call lurkers. They kind of just lunge at food, so they're opportunistic and they can actually go a few years without eating if they need to. But when they decide they're really hungry, they can really high walk to a meal. They can apparently reach peak speeds of thirty five miles per hour on Wow, that's fast. Yeah, but they also tire very very quickly, so they're never going to be an antelope in a marathon or a half marathon.
Speaker 4: All right, that's another good factor write down. But speaking of facts, we've got three more facts to go. But let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. Welcome back to Part Time Genius, where we're talking all about gators today.
Speaker 3: All right, what did you want to talk about next? Mego?
Speaker 1: So, something I think is super cool about alligators is that their sex isn't predetermined by genetics. It actually has all to do with the temperature you store an alligator egg at Actually, just to take a step back, one thing that's fascinating is that in the nineteen fifties and sixties, alligators were nearly hunted to extinction in America. But part of the reason they managed to recover is that the gators lay a lot of eggs, like thirty to fifty of them at one time, so once there were more restrictions on hunting, they made a quick comeback. But gators make a giant nest like three feet high and six feet wide, and then they bury their eggs inside it, and the eggs that incubate at around eighty degrees will turn out female, but the ones that incubate a closer to ninety degrees will be male, and in between is just a mix of males and females, which I think is kind of remarkable. But the other thing that's interesting about alligators is that the moms also stick around to protect their hatchlings, which is super rare in modern reptiles and more common frankly to birds and some dinosaur species.
Speaker 3: That is really interesting.
Speaker 2: So we're down to two.
Speaker 1: Last facts, and I'm curious, what do you have as your final last fact?
Speaker 3: For my final fact, I think.
Speaker 4: The most insane thing I found this week is from this article on Smithsonian, and it's called When Kids Played with Alligators in Los Angeles, and the piece is all about a theme park. As soon as I saw this headline, I was like, this is gonna be good. And it's all about this theme park. I'd never heard of it before. It was called the California Alligator Farm, which I guess operated from nineteen oh seven to nineteen fifty three, so almost half a century. And for only one quarter you could see over a thousand alligators of all sizes. And while the gators were exercised and you could you could watch them eat live chickens. There were twenty ponds with supposedly trained alligators that you could interact with. But the photos are insane, Like there's this picture of a baby in a pin with thirty hatchlings and no parents anywhere to be found there. Yeah, if you really need to look this up. There are photos of people writing on the alligator backs. There are pictures of picnics in the water with people in bathing suits eating meals right next to these gators. Gators are actually approaching the table. No one seems to be scared by this, And I think my favorite fact is that there are photos of people watching as adult alligators all climb up a ladder and then take a water slide down into the pond for fun. Like it is the weirdest thing. It's like a giant petting zoo for gators. It makes no sense at all, but.
Speaker 2: It sounds fun for the gators too.
Speaker 4: Yes, that maybe they were having fun so they had decided not to attack.
Speaker 1: So I'm definitely gonna look this up. But did anyone die there?
Speaker 2: Like that? All sounds so incredibly dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, in that article on how stuff works, the editors right how alligators are really instinctual animals because you know, their brains are only nine grams and they take about half a tablespoon of space, which means there's no such thing as a nice gator. I mean, these things are programmed to behave a certain way. But for whatever reason, there really aren't reports of injuries there, so I'm certain there were some that happened. And one thing I do know is there were a lot of posted to remind visitors, you know, not.
Speaker 2: To punch the gators or throw rocks at them, so don't.
Speaker 3: Don't try that.
Speaker 4: And apparently college pranksters used to occasionally sneak in and steal a gator. But other than that, there really isn't a whole lot of reporting on, you know, the darker side of an alligator farm.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Well, my last fact is kind of fitting. I decided to look up the origins of see you later, alligator.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, what did you find out?
Speaker 2: Not much?
Speaker 3: Good, good, Well that does it for today.
Speaker 1: So, as you might imagine, there's no clear origin story, like there isn't for a lot of these things. But it's really funny. There's a site called word Histories, and they looked up early newspaper accounts that reference the phrase, and there are all these explainer columns for adults trying to understand their kids and why they're talking this way. So in nineteen fifty two, there was a column in the Honolulu Star Bulletin that explained teenage slang in Hawaii, and it reads, quote, many high school students use expressions such as tutulu tofu or see you alligator, which I might responses like see you soon, goon and hit the toad road, which I guess means that in a while, crocodile wasn't immediately like the default response yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I never heard that before.
Speaker 1: No, but it gets better. There's also an explanation from this guy, Lester Rand in the Baltimore Sun, and this is from nineteen fifty four, and he clarifies the alligator and see you alligator is an all encompassing term and relieves the leaving party of having to recite several names. That's great, and in case the Olds needed more explanation, it continues. The popular teenage rhyming expressions rarely convey any actual meaning and are somewhat confusing, like do you know what I mean, jelly bean, let me have steak jake and have a piece of salami Tommy.
Speaker 2: Right, it feels like a phrase we should bring.
Speaker 3: Brack right, Like yeah, for sure, whatever we.
Speaker 1: Say goodbye tous onone, And I kind of want to say, like, have a piece of lobby tommy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a weird one.
Speaker 4: And I think if I was a parent my kid kept saying this as he walked out of the door, I'd probably be confused enough to want to read an article about what was wrong with him. But anyway, who do you think deserves the crown for today's fact off.
Speaker 2: Well, I did like the fact that we talked about B flat so much.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of B flat.
Speaker 1: Those photos of alligators on water slides, I think have to be my new wallpaper. I'm gonna say, you win. This crazy alligator farm theme park thing is too good.
Speaker 4: It's so good looking at those photos, so I will take it. Thank you very much, I'm honored. That is it for today's Part Time Genius. If you like hearing the show, hit us up on Twitter or Instagram, drop us a line in Apple Reviews, And if you have any great gator facts we missed or have a topic you want us to cover, be sure to write to us about those.
Speaker 1: Two and thank you, thank you, thank you so much for listening, especially you Dad.
Speaker 4: Part Time Genius is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.