Speaker 1: Hi, babes. Because I didn't think you were getting enough of me. I have decided to shove myself down your throats even further with a give them La La bout episode each week.
Speaker 2: You're welcome for the first ever.
Speaker 1: It is, and we're gonna give you just enough. It's like just the tip, just your yes. I wanted to do bonus episodes that were more structured. So how this is gonna work, how I would like it to work, because you know, we're dipping our toe in again just the tip. The first podcast bonus podcast of each month will be an og episode of VPR that will be honing in on breaking down. You guys can weigh in the rest of the episodes. I would like structured ames so today, because I know what it's like going into the holidays, and I feel like I'm very blessed and privileged to have a beautiful community around me, friends, family, But the holidays are tough, and coming out of the holidays is also tough because you've got so much build up and then it's just over and you've got like gray snow outside wom WoT mm hmm, and then you go straight into Valentine's Day, which is like love, you don't have a husband, you don't have much, just a lot like and I want to know your guys' thoughts because I know I'm not the only one sitting here being like, why am I a little bummed?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why am I a little bummed out?
Speaker 4: There's so many great, great answers and things you guys wrote in So thank you already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Told me that there's like a lot of good good shizzle my nizzle in the am s.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, all right, let's go off. I do want to start off with this one. It's because I think both of you could really help dealing Oh well, reminder of the question was what's the most difficult part about going into the holidays as well as coming out of them? So this one is dealing with the grief since my mother passed. Holidays are honestly the worst lately.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that takes me right back to like the first Christmas. Oh it makes me want to vomit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I don't. Here's the thing, it's it's a mental thing, and you for me, I had to just trump the negative thoughts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's what I did.
Speaker 3: So like having a glass of eggnog for my dad was a happy thought for me. So little things like that are what got me through. But it is it's shitty, it's heart wrenching that, you know, you go through all these you know, holidays and you have your whole family and just one is taken and then it's never the same.
Speaker 1: No, But we do have a tight.
Speaker 3: Knit group and it's it's easy to get through the holidays with the love and support that we all give each other.
Speaker 1: So you also have to remember where like what almost six six six years in but the first one, it was like I used to go home every holiday, every Thanksgiving and every Christmas. And then when my dad passed away, it was like Easton and my mom didn't want to be in Utah because they had the constant reminder of, like, we're still living in the home that I shared with my husband or my dad for my whole life. So I had the luxury of like I had moved out, you know, like I kind of had a life. Started Not saying that it was easy for me to get through my dad's passing, but it was like they started coming out to la for holidays and just everything shifted. And once that happened, holidays didn't feel like holidays anymore. Yeah, you know, like I used to go home and it was like my childhood home looked like Christmas had thrown up all over it, right, you know, like Thanksgiving was very structured and so much fun, and we had so many things to look forward to, and it was like the weather suit the time of year, you know, like out here, it's like why is the sun shining on December twenty fifth? Right, why is the sun out? Okay, I don't get it. So just like everything shifted and it felt very weird. Now, like Easton said, I think implementing things into your holiday that so like the memory of that parent is still in the home is very important. And again, holidays are tough, so you better find you better find the spirit.
Speaker 3: Really, it's up to you too. Like that's the other thing. I can't help anybody get through it. You have to help yourself get through it. And there's no right or wrong. You just got to do what gets you through it healthy, not over drinking or exactly. But like just like like I said, celebrating with a glass of eggnog for me was for my dad. Pistachios that was for my dad. They're just little things that I do to keep his memory alive.
Speaker 1: Even making sure yeah you know, well, even watching Christmas Vacation, like Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day and on Thanksgiving, like yeah, that shoved into our household, like down the one thing I wish that we would do though tt Like when we turned Christmas Vacation on when my dad was alive, Like we were sitting down watching Christmas Vacation. Right, it wasn't background noise, it was sit your flat asses down and watch fucking Grizzly we did playing on the heater like we had no one was on the phone, So that I would like to start doing like we're sitting down and watching a movie as a family. Yeah, no electronics, no, No, like dusting mom. No, Like you can wrap Christmas presents and that's about while watching it, right, but nothing else.
Speaker 3: Right, So to the point, I think, yeah, you just got to keep the memory alive. And I feel like that kind of helps you get through the holidays in a healthy, happy spirit.
Speaker 2: I love that. I think that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: I think it's different for every everyone. I'm just going off of my grandpa because I was super close to him, and of course my grandma.
Speaker 2: We did. We talked about it because.
Speaker 4: I remember the feeling of my grandma not we were getting closer to the first Christmas without him, and he made Christmas so special, just.
Speaker 2: Like like you said, like stunning.
Speaker 4: The house was gorgeous, and and then she was kind of she was decorating with like her sons instead of her husband. So I felt her going in the route of not talking about him, and every time things were brought up, like switching the subject. So I just made it, started making it a tradition every Christmas when I'm home, every Christmas Eve morning, going over having coffee two hours just like talking about him and being like remember when he did this, And of course yes we cry and all that, but it's like beautiful because then we've got it out his like energies in the home, and then we go into the day like ready to take on the home.
Speaker 1: I love that, Jess. Yeah, I feel like that's a generational thing. Like heartbreak. Rough times, you sweep it under the rug. We don't discuss it, We keep a stiff upper lip. Yeah you don't cry. Yeah, I love it's so like Mom said, God gave you tears for a reason. Emotions are beautiful. People should share them.
Speaker 4: I totally agree, So thank you guys for sharing that. This one is very common. Weight gain zero time to exercise off all the Tamali's, Ravioli's, beverages and bread.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. Enjoy the hell out of the holidays. Think of yourself like a bear. All right. You know what bears do. They go out. They are freaking savages. They put on their winter weight because you know what, it's time to go into hibernation. We got to be warm, We got to be well fed before we power down. Look at the holidays as that. Enjoy all the good food in the freaking world. Know your game plan when you come out of the holidays. But give yourself some like room to chill, have some fun. I'm sorry. Like people say you can't talk about this because you're a thin person, but don't twist it. There are times I look in the mirror and I'm like, bitch, you look, you're looking skinny, soft like this is not cute. But then you take a step back. We all have our insecurities, no matter who you are, even the most the baddest bitch on the planet, who you think is the baddest bitch stands in the mirror naked and says, I'm not digging X, Y and Z just not okay. So give yourself a little bit of like grace and go and eat the sheet cake, Eat the fucking turkey if you want it. Who gives a shit you want three rolls, Eat the three rolls. It's time to freaking celebrate and.
Speaker 2: Eat good, allowing yourself.
Speaker 4: And this isn't interesting because I Kyle will have consultations with his clients at home, and I will listen to things he says because usually they're helpful for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should talk about this because you've got someone in the house who's like healthy and also doesn't what is it He doesn't What is it when you keep something? He doesn't deprive you of.
Speaker 2: Good food, of good food.
Speaker 4: And well, he's all about moderation, all of it. Extra size, eating sweets, eating healthy. If you overdo anything, it's in his opinion, very unhealthy, even EXTRACI.
Speaker 2: But also well, on.
Speaker 4: That note, there was someone who was saying, I know myself and there's gonna be a cake and I'm gonna overeat it. They had talked about having an eating disorder, a binge eating disorder and like, I know myself and I'm afraid. They're like, I know I'm gonna do it. I'm afraid of the guilt and the shame I feel after. And he said that is something. Of course it's different for everyone. But let's say you have you're a binge eater and you're trying to and the holidays are so tough for you, and you binge you there's a whole cake and you eat it, and it's the guilt and the shame afterwards is so difficult to deal with. But that's something that he really encourages you to be like, look, you ate it, move on, drink a bunch of water, right, maybe focus having a salad with your next meal.
Speaker 3: In fact, you're already you did it.
Speaker 2: You did it.
Speaker 1: Do not.
Speaker 4: The guilt and shame is just gonna take you in a deeper hole, and you're gonna think, I already binge it yesterday, I might as well do it today.
Speaker 2: Everything. No, you did it.
Speaker 4: Now move on and be thankful that you enjoyed that, and now have a little extra water, add some veggies to your dinner. It's the it's the really trying to keep yourself out of the spiraling and the guilt and shame that goes with the holidays and eating. And I know not we don't all deal with that, but it was something I heard him talking about with a lovely woman, and I was like, that's a great tip.
Speaker 1: You know what. I have so much respect for this woman that she could pinpoint exactly what she's like. She's self aware, she knows that she struggles, and she talked about her fears if she does something that she knows she's probably going to do. Yes. Yeah, I have mad respect for that chick.
Speaker 4: Me too, because it's like every year she was saying. Every year I go in, I'm not gonna binge. I'm not gonna binge.
Speaker 2: She's like, and I'm really afraid of it because I know it happens every time. I like can't help it.
Speaker 4: And he's like, Okay, if we know it's gonna happen, great, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: And then here's the game plan for when it's all off. Yes, exactly, see, so you said it, but you've got like the professionalism to back it up. For me, it's like, go into the holiday and just enjoy life is so freaking stressful as it is We're constantly trying to play keep up, catch up and just go into the holiday, eat whatever you want. But no, before you do that, this is my game plan starting on this day. And I know New Year's resolutions and the working out, I get it. I do the same thing where I'm like, I'm gonna work out every day. Tunny, tunny, far. But let me tell you something. The guilt that you feel after you do something is going to kill you much quicker than what you're actually doing. I remember when I was trying to kick the vape, which we finally kicked, but I would go a full day and then at the very end of the day see Easton's and be like, I'm fucking it and it feels so much guilt, And then my mom would pile on and I was like, you know what, I've just learned. The stress in the guilt is going to kill me before the v Yes, I can't have why at the end of the day, give.
Speaker 2: Me the fucking vape.
Speaker 1: I need something, right, right? I know I have nothing.
Speaker 3: I know, well, I don't hit the vape in front of her for that reason.
Speaker 1: You hit it on the way into podcasts, so it fell on the ground, so I couldn't hide something that fell on the ground, so I was like, you know what, on the ground in the mouth and all it's all good. That's how I used to think about dicks on the ground, in the ground, in the mouth, hanging on the ground. Oh, trust me to the ground. That hurts me? Third leg, try potting.
Speaker 3: Let's move on quickly, quickly, There we go on to the next.
Speaker 1: There we go happ.
Speaker 4: Okay, be on your own at home and missing your work social life.
Speaker 2: This is a good one because a lot of people are like the break.
Speaker 4: But what about the people that maybe struggle at home right like work and miss their friends at work?
Speaker 1: You guys, this justin there are people who actually enjoy their jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me being one of them.
Speaker 1: Bravo. Jobs that are fun to exist. You can find them. You don't have to be tortured every day of your life just to earn a paycheck. Actually that is I've never had to think about that. But I actually love that question because what if you go to work and it's like I enjoy going because those people may be like my coworkers, but they're actually my friends as well. Like me and Becky straight up talk about a lot of cool shit, and it's.
Speaker 2: Your social life, right kind of yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, and then all of your work friends maybe go and they have like their families or they got a boyfriend that they're going home to, whatever it may be, and you go home and be by yourself. That is when this is a much bigger issue, right, This is more than just the holidays, Like you really have to become okay being by yourself and pampering the fuck out of yourself. Right, Enjoy the silence, take a warm, yummy bath, get some like scrubs, and I get it. The break is long, but now it's your job to start checking in. There's other people who are going to be staying in town for the holiday, Like, go find other people you know who would be great at answering this. My mother, yeah, yeah, she's terrified at being by herself when she first moved out here. She's like, you're going out to dinner with your friends. I'm like, you'll be okay. Take a warm bath, light a candle, right, what do you mean, I'm like in pamper yourself. Some people don't know how to take a load off. Binge, watch a show, shut your brain down, don't look at social media.
Speaker 2: Read books.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, that is one that is a great point during the holidays.
Speaker 1: Stay off. Yeah. Social if you're a home alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you don't have a big family and you don't have anyone to go to. Let's say you're spending the holidays alone. Social media is, in my opinion, toxic because you see.
Speaker 2: What you're missing out on.
Speaker 4: You see all the big families, you see all the all the presents under the tree, and it will get you depressed. I totally co sign on the spoiling yourself, even if it is just reading a book or binging a show for ten hours. When can you sit at home and binge a show for ten hours?
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. So try to sink into like, oh my gosh, we're going into a break. This is going I am solely focusing on myself. I'm gonna try this recipe. I'm gonna turn on I'm gonna binge watch Girls. Hello, you have to be okay with two seasons ten episodes each. Yeah, I'm gonna watch Christmas Vacation. I'm gonna make a homemade bath scrub.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's so many things that you can just like hunker down and try to enjoy being with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, journal, make your goal if you're into that sort of thing, make your goal list for twenty twenty four things that will uplift you and make you happy.
Speaker 2: Go on a nice walk. I mean, I love being alone, so this is hard.
Speaker 1: For me, but that's what I mean. I do too. When my mom and Easton went and left and I was childless as well, I was like, I had friends that were like, let's go out, and I'm like, when I have the whole house, do I say, are you tripping? I'm masturbating twenty seven times from that masturbating all masturbate.
Speaker 4: Yes, Play with a few toys. Figure out what you like. Maybe it's a new year, New year, new you.
Speaker 1: Maybe like I hope it helped. It sounds awesome. I want to go be alone right now. I love you. That sounds awesome. Light a candle, get in the tub and play with yourself and before you know it, you're back at work. It's very time consuming.
Speaker 2: Okay, spoil yourself. Oh this is a good one.
Speaker 4: Pressure from family to be places and buy gifts.
Speaker 2: Even my grandparents expect gifts with like.
Speaker 1: A oh my, you know what I would tell them. You know what, Graham, You've lost the spirit of Christmas, and in lieu of a gift, I've made a donation to the Humane Society in your name. They'll really start hating gifts after that. Yes, we're not doing gifts anymore.
Speaker 4: Okay, perfect, make them something homemade, they'll stop asking.
Speaker 2: Make them a card, they'll stop asking for gifts.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: But really, I think anyone who's putting pressure on you, I think you have to be completely honest. Say it's the holiday. Maybe you've lost sight about what with what the holidays are about. They're very much about being with family, but it's also about enjoying yourself and taking a load off. So I will not be there. Also, I'm feeling a lot of pressure with getting you a gift. Give them a card that says you've made a donation in their honor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also if you don't have the money, or if you're struggling, or if you're really saving or pinching pennies, just being upfront and honest about that, and if anyone wants to give you shit about it, if you say, hey, this year's been financially maybe I'm really budgeting, so I'm not buying gifts, but I'll give you my time or ten minutes.
Speaker 2: To grab it.
Speaker 1: It's like present, give me yes, So I'm giving you the best gift of all, which is spending time with.
Speaker 4: Me, or zoom with them if you can't be with them, or a four to flight home zoom with Say, I'm going to zoom with you and we'll share a little cocktail or non alcoholic beverage over zoom and cheers.
Speaker 2: Make it cute. And if anyone wants to give you shit about that, then.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing. When someone has an issue, let it just be their issue, you know, don't.
Speaker 2: Let them put it on you.
Speaker 3: Now, that's what I and everybody who has an issue just shut up. It's not their issue, it's yours.
Speaker 1: Eat it. There's so many issues that happen without it being the holidays. Don't bring the issue into the holidays. If there's one thing I love about the holidays, it is that with my family there is no pressure. That's a zero. And maybe it's because we don't have a big family, but it's like, this is where we're going to be. The more, the merrier. This is what we're having for dinner. If you like to come, we're here. If you don't want to that's great too. We totally understand.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I love that about my family too. It's no pressure, no pressure, no pressure at all.
Speaker 1: Send a group chat, in a group chat, just like I refuse to have pressure this year. I'm so excited for the holiday. I hope that during this time we can remember what's important. And this is what I'll be doing. And I love you all so so much, and I'll see you in the new year. Yeah, can't wait.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Barbados with my friends. Merry Christmas, very good.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh no, no, this.
Speaker 1: Is however reason could you imagine if we told Mom we're not spending Christmas with her, she would lose her.
Speaker 3: You imagine me going, I don't think I'm gonna make it to Palm Spring.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, I would have lost it. I would have been like, it is Christmas, but.
Speaker 2: The pressure, the But you guys are close, there's no pressure.
Speaker 5: It's like, I'm going, there's all of four of us host you will be coming to Okay, you have no girlfriend, but the pressure, what do you have nothing?
Speaker 4: As a parent, feeling like you didn't get a holiday because everything is all about the kids.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. I'm sure. I mean, I'm sure not a very apparent experience is but.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean ocean kicked our butts during the holiday, fool.
Speaker 3: But like I still didn't feel like it was like I still felt the spirit.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just like you know, That's what I feel like. Is also, once Christmas ends and then you have that chunk of time between the twenty sixth and the new year. That's why I think that having structure throughout the year is so important because once the kids go to bed, it is your time to just chill out and zen. And I think that's why motherhood got extremely hard for me for a while, because there was no structure in Moore. There was no bedtime. It was like, you're going to bed when I go to bed, and I can't even like take a bath because if I take a bath, you're gonna get out of my bed and come sit with me, and then you're gonna undress and you're gonna want to get in the bath with me. It was zero alone time. So I think that even during the holiday where it's so much fun to probably stay up late with mom and dad and then you get them to bed and you gotta fucking wrapped presence, and then you gotta pretend like Santa came and eat the cookies and set out the fucking milk. It's a lot of freaking work. Yeah. Right, So on the twenty sixth, shit goes back to normal. Right, you get to still be off you get all day tomorrow, but you're still going to bed. You don't have to go to bed. But leave me the fuck alone. Yeah, don't talk to me. I'm off limits now, mom time is over.
Speaker 4: Fend for yourselves, right, fend for yourself setting boundaries.
Speaker 1: Being I set boundaries with your children.
Speaker 4: I can't even I am obviously not a pair of But I remember a few years where my parents had five kids, and there were a few years we were all home at once, and there were years where I could tell my parents were so extremely stressed, and there were years that it was easy peasy, And I remember talking with it with my mom about it years later and being like, what was the difference, And she said, the years we were crazy stressed is when I know everyone can't do this. But my mom said, when we kind of pushed everything, we didn't pre plan. She was like, we, you know, last minute Christmas shopping. We were wrapping a million gifts. The night of Christmas Eve, we were up until five am. I was exhausted, I over spent, I overdid all these things, she said, versus the years where honestly we didn't get you guys as much. But I would be out in the summer and I'd like buy a couple gifts here and there.
Speaker 2: It was low key.
Speaker 4: The meals weren't like wildly extravagant, but they were so cute. And she said, I structured our time off, had something planned every day to where your dad and I could be like, Okay, on the twenty seventh, you guys have a babysitter. We're going out to dinner like she planned it. And again, I know that's not very easy for everyone, especially working moms, but she said those years that she pre planned it, it was like night and day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know so too. I think you have to do it a very Yeah.
Speaker 3: Christmas, Yeah, we were buying Christmas gifts in summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, September October.
Speaker 2: Shove them in the closet, hide them.
Speaker 1: And I've been buying her her Birthday presents also since that time.
Speaker 3: That's so nice, didn't you say that you had left over Christmas for her birthday.
Speaker 1: She was so overwhelmed and she I had unopened gifts that she had no desire to open, ye, which is very strange. I know. So we're recycling. I told you, guys that tell me about that photo real quick before we sign off. You said that you saw something online a girl with her dad and they went to I think it was it.
Speaker 4: Was a video you guys probably saw. It was a TikTok or Instagram reels. It was so beautiful. I just got goosbunch thinking about it. And it was a girl and she was sitting at a pizza restaurant, like a Dominoes or a Pizza or something, and her dad was across from her, and she like was smiling, and there was one pizza in between the two of them, and he was eating the pizza and he looked so happy, so happy, and she was smiling. And it was just a quick video of them, and the caption read, you know, remember the people who don't have huge families to go home with and celebrate the holidays with, and there are some of us who just have our dads and just are sharing.
Speaker 2: A pizza on Christmas. Even this is good enough for the two of us.
Speaker 1: But I love that. That's the spirit of Christmas.
Speaker 3: Thing that I didn't like about that video is the music she put behind me, because like, it's the video and she put like this sad toned music that was like she would have used like yeah, thing because it was like it was it was the cutest moment ever, and she was like with the music, it was like feel bad for it, but it was like, no, this is such a beautiful moment.
Speaker 2: Were just hanging with your Dad's awesome. There's no expectations.
Speaker 3: You guys are just sitting here eating a pizza, about to go home probably and get a little ice cream and watch a movie. The most so simple thing.
Speaker 1: That was the only thing I didn't like. I was like, why did she use this music?
Speaker 3: I know a happy video.
Speaker 4: I do wonder The one thing I wonder is if we don't have background context, did they lose someone.
Speaker 1: I could have? It could be first Christmas without Mama and that I will say.
Speaker 3: But I mean, yeah, that was the only thing. But I looked at it and I was like, what I'd get for one night to go to pizza with my dad again?
Speaker 2: Beautiful?
Speaker 3: Those are the little things that the sad music.
Speaker 1: No, but that's the Can I tell you that video is the Christmas spirit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And the quick we all remember the spirit behind why we're celebrating the happier our holidays. It's good to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why I love a Christmas story when they have to go into the Chinese restaurant to have dinner.
Speaker 1: So good, so good.
Speaker 3: I would I would do that every year because it would be so great.
Speaker 2: But this, yep, every year.
Speaker 1: I could do it without the deck. Before we sign off, can I tell you what I fear going into a new year? Yes. So I was talking to Jess and Easton about this, and I don't want to get dark, but this is where I think not only my head goes, but I'm sure people who have experienced a tough year or tough years in the past, but you sit there and you're like, oh my gosh, we had such a great year in twenty twenty three. We're gonna leave the lows behind us, and like we're gonna take on twenty twenty four. When I look back going into twenty eighteen and I remember celebrating and having the best time ever, and I'm like, yes, we're going into a new year. Little did I know twenty eighteen was going to hold the death of my dad, Right, So I always fear going into a new year, like it could be great. I'm expecting it to be great, but I know that life happens. What is going to happen this year? That's going to make me a little bit different of a person?
Speaker 3: What speed bumps are.
Speaker 1: We gonna What speed bumps are we gonna hit? Where like I'm no longer gonna be the person that I was in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: That's an amazing, amazing point because we don't see that enough.
Speaker 2: When you said that to me earlier, we.
Speaker 4: See all the it's gonna be a great year, write down your goals, And I was telling you, like I am privileged enough to be able to go into a year and be like, what amazing things are gonna happen. But imagine if I was someone who every year had some sort of trauma, like for the past five years, a death that I'm gonna slowly, my brain's slowly going to start programming to be like, what the fuck am I gonna have to deal with this year? And it's like I don't we don't think about those people enough, I think, because that just to say, okay, just to have hope.
Speaker 2: Going into a new year is enough.
Speaker 1: Sometimes That's what I think, yes, going into twenty twenty four being hopeful. So for with that, I didn't mean to bring down the mood, but just know that I'm wishing you all a very happy and healthy twenty twenty four. May God bless you all, and remember God will never take you to what He cannot take you through. I hope you all believe in God. If not, just know your higher power has got your back, all right. I hope you enjoyed the first Bonus episode. That was fun. Ever it was that the forever right? Yeah, Ever, I've never done a twenty four hit, right there? Help the Bonus save you a boner. I love you, guys, and I will catch you by the next Bonus episode.
Speaker 3: Can master, but I'll see you next time.