Speaker 1: Hi is Sea Fishman from Orbit Media and what we think of as our true crime Clubhouse. One of the things we like to do with the Clubhouse is to introduce you to podcasts that we think you'll like podcast besides those we produce which we know you love. This week, we're sharing the first episode of Someone Knows Something from the CBC for listeners who aren't familiar with the show. Someone Knows Something is an investigative true crime series by an award winning documentarian named David Ridgein What Happens Is each season, David investigates another unsolved case. So this season, which is season nine, he jumps into the case of Christine Herron. Christine was a book loving teenager from Hanover, Ontario. She leaves for school in the spring of nineteen ninety three and has never seen again. A suspect confesses to killing her, but the case falls apart and no one is punished. Then David teams with Christine's mother and they investigate the case, at one point coming face to face with the man who claims he killed Chrissy. You can find all episodes if Someone Knows Something wherever you get your podcasts. Okay, here comes episode one enjoy. Let us know what you think at info at Orbitmedia dot FM.
Speaker 2: I'm out another river, this one flowing through a southwestern Ontario town on a clear but darkening springtime evening. I recorded these nature sounds well over a decade ago for a TV documentary using the same microphone I now use for the podcast. This thing always seems to be standing between me and the unknown, somehow oddly comforting, just.
Speaker 3: Crouching at the riverside. Here a park and Hanover, Ontario. This is the Sagiin river, which the mouth of the Sagi actually empties out into the Lake Huron. It's about sixty kilometers downstream. I think the river's flowing clear, but there's lots of debris kind of pushed against the shoreline. There's obviously a pretty high floodplain here. There's an old gazebo, a swing set, there's an old gate.
Speaker 2: I remember focusing on the sounds these things made. Here, chains on a swing, muddy logs at the high water mark, brushy grasses along the path, and that metal gate. I wonder if these objects or the sounds they made, ever held any actual comfort for anyone.
Speaker 3: At one time, this park was Christine Herron's favorite place in the whole world. I have been told if i'd been here before May eighteenth, nineteen ninety three, I might have seen her down here catching frogs or fishing. And nobody here today, just this path next to the river.
Speaker 2: The sounds I recorded here don't reveal any secrets, but I feel pulled back to places like this again and again, pulled back into long term investigations, their grief and the hope. Even after some questions have been answered, there's always more and more difficult ones. Over thirty years ago, just one week after her fifteenth birthday, Heron disappeared, and her full story has yet to be told. I'm David Ridgin, and this is someone Knows Something, Season nine, The Christine Herron Case, Episode one, Chrissy. I first learned about Christine in the late two thousands as I was scanning through some of the many unsolved cases out of Ontario. I was preparing to make a documentary series for CBC Television's news program The National. I sorted Chrissy's case into a much smaller pile, a shortlist of sorts, cases that for some reason spoke to me.
Speaker 4: We gathered here this morning for a celebration of life A Life of Christine Error.
Speaker 2: I'd learned that a memorial service was being held at a church seventeen years after Christine disappeared, So I traveled west to Hanover in the springtime of twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Let us bring loving God, look with mercy on those who mourn for Christine, who has died by the violence of our fallen world. Be with us as we struggle with the mysteries of life and death.
Speaker 2: Framed photos of Christine in curly dark hair and glasses sit on a small table at the front of the church, next to the minister. There are others sad people whom I assume are her family standing close by, including the woman that I know is her mother, Mary Anne.
Speaker 5: Described by her mom as midical loader. Christine didn't have a lot of close friends in our culture. Her loner mentality meant that she was viewed as being different. She wasn't someone who has hung.
Speaker 4: Up on appearances or who is doing with whom.
Speaker 2: This minister's words, his impressions of Christine filled me with a chill of sadness. Tears suddenly rolled down my face for this young person I'd never met, and right there I decide that I'm going to do this case.
Speaker 6: This is the last place Christie had lived.
Speaker 2: I would take several more months of information gathering before I contacted Chrissy's mother, Mary Anne.
Speaker 7: That front window was the living room, and that's where her and I had spent the morning together watching television, with her laying her head on my lap.
Speaker 2: I've got mary Anne framed up in my documentary camera on a cool, windy day, Pale skinned in glasses, with meticulous makeup and shorter hair. Mary Anne stands in front of the small brick to story she'd been renting back in the spring of nineteen ninety three at the time Chrissy disappeared. Mary Anne gestures to where she says. Chrissy walked away from home that.
Speaker 7: Day and then she left to go to school. She walked down the other side of the street and around the corner, and that was the last I've seen of her.
Speaker 2: Mary Anne says. She watched from an upstairs window as Chrissy turned the corner on the way. Mary Anne thought to Grade nine classes at John Diefenbaker High School, not that far away. It was sometime between one thirty and two pm. Chrissy had not felt well that morning so stayed home. She'd been known to skip classes and didn't want to go to school that afternoon either. She and her mom had argued about it, and mary Anne suggested that perhaps Chrissy should get a job instead. Chrissy walked down out, saying see you later, and slammed the door. She was wearing blue jeans, a jean jacket, black running shoes, plastic glasses with a broken nosepiece on one side, and possibly a silver bracelet.
Speaker 6: She was in a good mood that morning, but she was mad that she had to go to school. She even we were in the process of packing and moving to another place, and she says, well, even let me stay home and I'll pack alled it all the times did it go on that day? But I said, you can't truant Officer's way.
Speaker 2: There were other tensions in the household at the time as well. Chrissy had been deeply troubled by her parents' divorce years earlier. Her father, Lorne, lived in Western Canada at the time of Chrissy's disappearance and has since passed away. Chrissy got along with her younger brother named Sean, but did not always see eye to eye with her stepfather, who was also named Sean. Sean Russworm, who was then aged twenty six.
Speaker 5: She didn't like keeping a room clean. She's kind of a tomboy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Russworm is a large man in a T shirt sporting a mustache and smudgy blue line tattoos on each shoulder. Back at their current home, he and Marianne are settled into a couch. Two chihuahuas named Chloe and Angel sit on their laps.
Speaker 5: As long as they behave that maybe they can stay.
Speaker 6: The best thing to do is to hand her to you and let you hold her.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 6: Angel, see.
Speaker 2: Mary Anne hands me Angel the extra small one so she can get used to me and stop barking. I walk around the room a bit with the dog in hand, looking at some photos of Chrissy spread out on a coffee table with a yellow lunch pail on her first day of kindergarten, blowing out birthday candles in red ribboned pigtails and Chris Stmas tree moments.
Speaker 5: I was gonna try something with.
Speaker 2: That light for okay, the dogs seem calm and we start talking about Chrissy.
Speaker 5: I like to take stuff apart and.
Speaker 6: Her back together to see what made it work. She loved kids, loved going for walks, into cricks, catching frogs and what have you.
Speaker 2: I see Chrissy seeming to watch me through her big glasses in the photos.
Speaker 5: I love those glasses.
Speaker 6: She hated them.
Speaker 5: There was times where other people would pick on her younger brother, Sean, and then Chrissy be right there sticking up for her brother. Chrissie was right there and punched out a couple of boys that were picking on Sean. This was in public school already, so she could hold her home and she was feisty and when she needed to be.
Speaker 2: Sean admits that his relationship with Chrissy was sometimes strained, and he says that he is bipolar and sometimes can be aggressive, But he says that one of his last memories of Chrissy is her helping him replace the spark plugs in his car.
Speaker 5: When we started to get closer, she'd come out to the garage and asked me if she could use my tools. Yeah, they're right there if I go to help. No, no, she wanted to do it herself.
Speaker 6: But she wasn't one to go out to parties or anything like that. Like she'd come home a couple of times and said, well, they're drinking.
Speaker 8: So I left.
Speaker 6: She was against smoking, she was against drinking.
Speaker 5: She told her we were really proud of her for that.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: She was close to her grandma, my mom, very close. Yeah, they spent a lot of time together.
Speaker 8: We always had a good relationship for any reason. If she just wanted to talk, she'd call me. She used to spend a lot of time over there with me.
Speaker 2: Grandma Phillis socks at her home.
Speaker 8: And then when ninety three we moved to Guelf. That's what upset me so bad, because I felt she if she's out there, she's gonna try and reach me, because she always did if she wanted something or other. And and I thought, well, I move away, she won't have my phone number, and that's upset me. And once I moved away, I couldn't even look at her pictures anymore for a long time. It really upset me bad.
Speaker 9: It says Grandma, It says Grandma Wild, Thanks all.
Speaker 5: Wild, Thanks Alley, Oh, I said.
Speaker 2: Grandma Christine sits around a Christmas tree with her family in nineteen ninety I watched the grainy archival video as she quietly makes sure that everyone has a gift to open before she does. Then the footage shifts to a Santa theme park and Christine's pretending to be a reindeer in front of a big red sleigh, a mischievous strength to her every move, just three years before she walks off into oblivion.
Speaker 8: Whoh, I got an a sewing machine. I'm bringing her out and letting her use it. She made an apron the one time she was out and we'd baked and we'd just play games. We always used to go do worm hunting and picking water two and she'd go fishing. I just couldn't believe it when she disappeared and she didn't call me. It's something you can't never forget. I don't know, no matter what, you can't forget about it.
Speaker 2: Marianne reported Chrissy missing to Hanover Police Sat. Nine to twenty one pm on the day she disappeared, May eighteenth, nineteen ninety three. Christy was known to have a poor sense of direction and would get lost easily, But despite this and her habit of skipping classes or sleeping over at friends' houses, Marianne and others say that Chrissy would always call home and never go far.
Speaker 6: When she didn't show home, I started phoning her friends and my family just to see if maybe she went to one of her friend's house after school or something.
Speaker 2: The story of Christine's case, at least in the beginning, is a familiar one. A teenager leaves home, supposed to be somewhere school but never makes it. Local police investigatively inexperienced, finding nothing and flying in the face of what a mother knows.
Speaker 6: And nobody had seen her or heard from her. So then the family and I we started going out and looking for her, looking in part in the area, just to see, you know, if she was someplace else and just hadn't come home.
Speaker 9: Yet.
Speaker 6: We had formed the police, and they said it was too soon yet to do anything. What we actually got from the Hanover police chief himself was that his daughter runs away a lot, takes off for days, so mine probably did the same thing. So she never showed home, and I sat up all night and waited for worried. I even had the feeling too all along that she was down there by the park somewhere. I kept trying to get them to search more, and the church and I we even got together and formed our own search, and we wanted to search down there, and they wouldn't let us. They made us go in the opposite direction, and the.
Speaker 5: Top police was very upset. Yes, when we set that up, they were not impressed that you had set up a search.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, they didn't want the public to panic.
Speaker 5: We were told if we went anywhere near the park that weekend, the very first weekend she disappeared, there would be consequences and repercussions. Who told you that the.
Speaker 2: Police There had been an antique car show on at the park that coming Victoria Day weekend, and police were concerned about disrupting it. According to Mary Anne, the Hanover Police and Fire department did eventually coordinate and conduct a single search using volunteers on May twenty third, nineteen ninety three, five days after she disappeared. The search encompassed the Hanover Park, the south shore of the Saugine River going east, and the town water tower. No trace of Christine was found.
Speaker 6: I think everybody just wanted to believe she was a runaway. Nobody would actually think of her as something had happened in a small town, not to their town. So everybody just told us, no, she's a runaway. She'll come back when she's ready. Even when we were putting up posters, people would take him down. They just didn't want to believe it.
Speaker 5: The town police took them down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but nobody would believe it. I actually got phone calls from people, you know, stop making such a fuss, She'll come back. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you ever cast any suspicion or doubt suspicious of people in town.
Speaker 5: Or anything ang of it?
Speaker 2: Nope, Mary Anne and Sean didn't have any suspects, but almost a year later they had to be ruled out as suspects themselves.
Speaker 6: Yes, we all wear At one point they asked us to take polygraphs, and I agree, just to rule out being a suspect so that they would get on with the case and find the person that did it. I did it and willingly, knowing that it would clear me and would help the case. Yes, I would do would have done anything at that time. And you went through two of them.
Speaker 5: I went through too. The first one was fairly basic. It didn't bother me too much. The second one was at a very tense time in my life. My employer at the time was on strike. In nineteen ninety nine, I had the interview over at malfors ol Ppe station and I believe it was October of nineteen ninety nine and I was interviewed by one of their forensic people from Kingston, supposed to one of their head people. It was very, very intense. It's about a four to five hour process, and they accused me in many different ways of murdering Christine, strangling, rape, shooting her, drowning her, and just everything they could pushed my buttons. What pushed my buttons the most during this process. I know that they were videotaping and recording the session. They mentioned that they had Paul Bernardo in another room. They wanted to know what my thoughts were.
Speaker 2: Paul Bernardo was a serial rapist and murderer in Ontario in the nineteen eighties and nineteen nineties. He and his partner Karla Homolka horribly murdered two young women. Bernardo had been arrested and jailed months before Chrissy disappeared, So using his name here was a tactic to get Sean talking, and.
Speaker 5: With myself already being bipolar things that were going on in my life at that time, I completely lost it. I jumped out of my seat. I seemed to remember throwing a couple of things around. I just said, let me add the son of a bitch, because only one of us is going to walk out of the room alive. I completely lost control. They tried to calm me down. I shut them off. All I had in my mind was looking for Paul Bernardo and wanted at him, and I wanted them dead. And that's the last I can remember.
Speaker 2: Russworm had been at work until three pm in Durham, Ontario, at the time Christy disappeared, about a fifteen minute drive away from Hanover. After work, he drove to Marianne's, where he heard that Christine had left for school shortly before he arrived. And what did they tell you about the results of either of those polygraphs.
Speaker 5: That you took from that? I was clear, as far as they've chriscerned, I had nothing to do with it. What they said they had to do what they had to do to prove that I was not guilty.
Speaker 2: Sean and mary Anne did pass their first polygraph tests, according to documents, and neither was ever arrested or charged. In Christine's case, Do I.
Speaker 5: Wish any to ever go through a process like that? No, it's hell. It's not a very nice process. But they did everything that they needed to do, and I commend them for doing it. I just still wished that we had something more could bring justice and bring Christine home.
Speaker 6: I did know before the night was over she was dead, though, call it mother's intuition or whatever, I knew she was gone.
Speaker 2: There weren't many Christine heron news reports to look at early on in my investigation items I could find. Talked about the local Hanover police making no headway in Christine's case, claiming even a year later that there was no evidence of foul play. Even though Chrissy had left her house without her id, any extra clothing, or the eighty dollars in birthday money she had just received, police continued to suggest that she was a runaway, that there were sightings of her. Christine was in Toronto with skinheads who had been seen in Hanover, she'd dyed her hair blonde and shaved the side of her head, or she'd left home to go live with her father Laura, out west, but she never appeared there or Toronto, or was seen anywhere else again. After May eighteenth, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: Three, Marianne and I spent a lot of time the first six months to a year. We went to Kitchener, London, Toronto. Where else did we go, dear, I can't even remember.
Speaker 2: Even if police weren't looking for Christine, Marianne and Sean were trying their best.
Speaker 5: Every chance we had, going to places that we probably we checked, shelters we went into. I'm not sure if it's a halfway house or a drug house or what it was.
Speaker 2: The media would report on these supposed sightings of Chrissy and help to generate more rumors and to make matters worse. According to Mary Anne, the few articles that were written were often filled with inaccuracy.
Speaker 6: I found that whenever you tried to tell them something, they twisted into something else. It was never what you were trying to explain. They always just took bits and pieces and made their own sentences.
Speaker 10: It wasn't always the truth that we had said, so it became frustrating and upsetting, to the point where we just had to refuse to.
Speaker 5: Speak from We were so scared of jeopardizing Christine's case that we shut out all reporters for quite a while until now.
Speaker 6: I've kept most of the clippings for the newspapers all these years, got those in somewhere, the posters. Yeah, typical girl.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 2: So do you think that there's a chance in this case still or what's your aim?
Speaker 3: The want to solved, justice and solved.
Speaker 5: I think you're still a chance now. I hope, I hope this will bring her home. We will do our best, working, sure you will.
Speaker 6: My panaver does not feel like home anymore.
Speaker 5: She went missing us. It's not our home.
Speaker 11: We had the same homeroom in grade nine, so the only.
Speaker 9: Desk goes right beside her.
Speaker 11: So that's how I met her and Finn there we pretty much were like fast friends.
Speaker 9: Like Kristine was very shy.
Speaker 2: Cindy Galen McPherson, one of Christine Herron's school friends.
Speaker 11: I mean, if you didn't know her, it took a long time to kind of get to know her, and a lot of people would like to pick on her because she was really easy to pick on. How So, if somebody said, well, why don't you go do this, she'd go and do it because she wanted to be accepted. People would like froll in a locker.
Speaker 6: She'd just stay there until like we we're.
Speaker 11: Gone, and I'd come and be like, okay, you can get out now. She really wasn't once for conflict, either if people were fighting or that there was a chance that they could be fighting.
Speaker 9: She was out of there.
Speaker 11: We'd hang out pretty much every weekend. The day she disappeared and I found her house, then her mama answered and I'm like, it is christ you know. She's like, no, she haven't gotten home from school yet.
Speaker 9: I thought it was kind of weird. And I'm like, well she didn't.
Speaker 11: She wasn't at school, and her mom's like, oh, okay.
Speaker 9: And then I think it was about two hours later. I got another phone call.
Speaker 11: And she's like, are you sure Christy isn't there, And I'm like no.
Speaker 2: Cindy and her father drove the roads that Chrissy might have traveled to get to their farm.
Speaker 9: We didn't see her.
Speaker 11: So my dad's like, well, we.
Speaker 9: Can't stay out, you know.
Speaker 11: So I went home and I phoned her mom and I said, well, we didn't find her on any other roads coming from Hanover.
Speaker 2: Cindy had spoken to Christy on the phone the night before she disappeared. They were planning the May Long weekend where Chrissy was supposed to come to Cindy's farm, So.
Speaker 11: Like I was the last person to talk to her, and everything seemed fine. She was excited. She loved being at my house because of all the animals and everything like that.
Speaker 9: Saying May we had baby.
Speaker 11: Goats and sheep and calves and pigs, and she was excited to come and see them. And I didn't really think anything was up.
Speaker 9: Okay, So the police then did they talk to you all?
Speaker 5: Wait couple of years they.
Speaker 2: Come and maybe turn Cindy says she spoke to police several times over the years and that sometimes they would insist that Cindy knew more, that she knew where Chrissy was, but she didn't. The best Cindy could do was tell police about what Chrissy was like, her routines and habits, certain places she liked to go.
Speaker 11: Chrissy used to go and put on the swings at the park and just think, she said, that's what she liked to do when she wanted to think was go and sit on the swings. Like Crinty was a very good friend to me, and it kind of hurts me to know that she's missed out on a lot of stuff.
Speaker 9: That I've gotten to do. What's your theory? Everyone's got one.
Speaker 11: I think somebody picked her up, because see what would have gotten into a car with somebody?
Speaker 9: Do you think that she wouldn't run into a stranger's car if they were nice to her?
Speaker 11: Probably she was like just driving to some sort of a doubt to prove it.
Speaker 9: Well, if you're older and you were a nice time, she would like move having a nice to keep that like that. I don't even know the word. I'm looking for her that, yeah, to keep that attention on her. So do you think she got into a car and you think that there was the wrong car.
Speaker 11: I honestly do.
Speaker 2: It should be noted here that some feel Chrissy would be shy of strangers or even run away from them if she were alone.
Speaker 9: Just for sure, she.
Speaker 11: Would have phoned me if she was still alive, Like push first, she would have phoned me. And I kind of knew deep down I had to.
Speaker 9: I'm like, seems not around anymore. She's dead.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting in the passenger seat as Sean and mary Anne give me a short tour of Hanover Main Street, the river, the school, the park, population about seventy seven hundred Hanover Rose and then fell as a furniture making capital of Canada, with much of that business gone now overseas. A town at the time of her disappearance down on its luck, but where Chrissy called home. Shawn and mary Anne moved not long after Chrissy disappeared to shelter themselves from what sounds like an onslaught of neighbors.
Speaker 6: They were very rude, with a.
Speaker 9: Long Mega ten.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I actually had phone calls.
Speaker 7: You get a lot of calls in the middle of the night, were hanging up, so we.
Speaker 9: Had the hand of her.
Speaker 6: Police put a trace on her phone so they could try and find out who was doing the phone calls, but they never did.
Speaker 2: A brief flurry of police activity surrounded a call that a boy going into grade ten named Mark Koontz received in July nineteen ninety three, a couple of months after Chrissy disappeared. The call, Koontz told his parents and police came from someone who said they were Chrissy. The girl on the other end said she was calling from a payphone and that she was near one of the abandoned factories in town. The person on the phone said she had run out of money and asked Coontz to meet her behind a shed near the school. She also told him that she wanted to have sex with him. Kontz says the person sounded like Chrissy, but when he went to the shed with police standing by, nobody appeared. Later that night, another call came in where the girl's voice asked Kons if he had told police. He said he had, and the voice said thanks a lot and hung up. Coons admitted later that he had previously received crank calls on other topics, and also that he had not heard Chrissy's voice for well over a year and barely knew her or saw her even then.
Speaker 5: We had asked for the OPP to be able to step in. We pleaded with the hand Or police to bring the OPP in. They said no, it was their jurisdiction. They don't have to bring an outside source in, and it turned out to be six years later before we were able to have the OPP come in.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety nine, Hanover Police requested the assistance of the Ontario Provincial Police on Chrissy's case. At that time, a cataloging of the case was undertaken by the OPP and new interviews were conducted along with reinterviews, DNA samples were taken from Mary Anne, and a profile obtained for Chrissy from a tube of her lipstick. A reward fund for thirty thousand dollars was renewed on the ten year anniversary of Chrissy's disappearance in two thousand and three. One of the original investigating officers on the case, Stanley Edwards, is charged with several criminal offenses, including robbing a bank, forcible confinement, and sexual assault. None of the charges were connected to Chrissy's case.
Speaker 9: This move fuck.
Speaker 5: Now talks with nice.
Speaker 2: Did you ever receive any documents from the OPP by the case?
Speaker 6: No? The OPP wouldn't let us know anything.
Speaker 2: And since that time, we're now in twenty eleven here, what has the OPP done or to year knowledge?
Speaker 9: How they communicated to you?
Speaker 6: They followed up on some other leads, but we've never been told any results from those. We haven't heard from them. So as far as I know, the case is closed, I'll.
Speaker 5: Forget into telling you what I know to myself.
Speaker 2: I'm going to leave you with some today that you guys can read. Did you hear back at Marianne and Shawn's place? I share some documents with them that the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General has sent me. The basic story that they tell is known to Marianne and Sean, but the crucial details have remained hidden and out of reach until now. Details about a local man named Anthony who had a frustrating night at an August two thousand and four party. He'd had a few drinks and then confessed to killing Christine Herron. This season on Someone Knows Something, the Christine Heron case, the.
Speaker 5: Crown Attorney told us was a slam dump. At one point he was ninety percent sure he was going to be convicted.
Speaker 4: Listen to me very carefully, right now, you're under arrest of the murder of Christine Herron because you told that police officer that.
Speaker 5: You killed her. This story here and moved me to a d I died bucking doesn't weave these whips.
Speaker 3: Did you know Christine?
Speaker 2: Did you kill Christine?
Speaker 5: Why did you confess.
Speaker 3: To her murder?
Speaker 2: Someone Knows Something is hosted, written and produced by me David Riggin. The series is also produced by Katie Swires. Sound design by Evan Kelly. Natalia Ferguson is our transcriber. Emily Canal as our Digital producer. Chris Oak is our story editor. Our executive producer is Cecil Fernandez. Tanya Springer is the senior manager, and Rafnurani is the director of CBC Podcasts. If you want to help new listeners discover the show, please rate and review wherever you listen. Find us on Facebook by searching Someone Knows Something, or on Instagram. At CBC Podcasts. You can hear next week's episode now by searching for the CBC Podcasts channel on YouTube. If you're looking for more investigations, check out the past seasons of Someone Knows Something from a deadly bomb hidden inside a flashlight to two teenagers killed by the KKKA. There are eight seasons of Someone Knows Something you can binge listen to right now wherever you get your podcasts. Tune in next week for an all new episode of Someone Knows Something, or you can bingeless in the whole series add free by subscribing to our channel on Apple Podcasts just on the link in the show description.
Speaker 9: Out jo About That in the World and a Train
Speaker 5: Giledliency