Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Our next guest out with some research. Always a must read. It's always on the Bloomberg. Everybody talking about it on Wall Street. We talk about it a lot in the newsroom. Torsten Slock is with US, chief economist and partner to Apollo Global Management here in studio. Good to have you here with us. So many different places to start, and I do want to talk about the sixty to forty portfolio. President Trump, we watch and what he's doing with policies. We talk about AI a lot. We're going to get into that. You know, the FED. Do you just look at it all or like first thing in the morning, what do you want? Do you want to check what's going on in Asia? Like is it everything that is a priority right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, absolutely, I mean the agenda is certainly first of you, Ryan, is very important. Shift's going to sail through the straight up a mussa. Not how much all of this is going to get to live. But that continues to be a very important risk because if we do run dry in tanks, especially in Europe, then we may run out of marine fuel, of jet fuel, fertilizer of helium and Obviously this creates a jump risk in prices, especially for energy, and that's still a.
Speaker 2: Risk even though that like back and forth, I know it's a market to look through it.
Speaker 3: You're right, Carol, because this hasn't been an issue for a while because we've been so busy with the FIT and with AI. But in the background this continues unfolding. It still be very, very important because it literally is the case that we could have some tanks get your critical levels. Yes, there's still, of course fuel running in the pipes and the systems have to function, but we don't know what that level of critical level of inventory is. And the risk is when we don't have twenty percent of oil that's supposed to be delivered every day coming through the strait up a moose or babel Monte. The consequence is that we still have this in the background as again jump risk and oil prices in particular and also for agricultural prices. So yes, this just adds to the other things about WASH's press conference and AI and all the other things we can talk about, but one.
Speaker 4: More on one of oil any Ron before we get there. It does seem like the oil market and we just heard from Jeff Mason, who said, we have no idea what the talks are happening between the US Iran right now and this conflict. Oil prices there are down five percent. Whether we're talking bread or brand or WTI is the oil market getting this right or is it getting it wrong?
Speaker 3: Well, it is quite remarkable that oil price had been through this roller coaster of going up and down and seem to have a much stronger opinion about whether a deal is happening or not, whereas people in raids and in the economics and in the region they have a much more nuanced view of Hey, if there is no sign of a deal, and if we have a deal, then there is a bigger risk that we could eventually run dry. So that's why the clock is truly ticking on oil inventories, and the more that ticks, the higher is the risk. Remember there's now two months ago that the head of the EIA said that we were six weeks away from Europe running out of jet fuel. Now we thankfully have not reached that point quite yet, but it's very clear that we literally have zero ships. If I look at my Bloombery screen e Ken Homers, zero ships coming through the strait Up AMusA and Babble MONTEP. At the moment, that is still a very significant risk in the background. It's difficult to quantify. Who knows if this is tomorrow, next week, or next month. But if the Iranians continue with this onto the midterm election, I feel very confident that then we will have the risk that we could see inventory. And remember Nice Airport ran out of jet fuel three weeks ago, so this is also not just an academic exercise. This is something that's really truly happening, not only for jet fuel, also from marine fuel, other types of fuel, and of course also agricultural products such as fertilized on helium.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is why fed Chaer Kevin Worsh was so general broad Macro and I want to play something for you because Double one Capital's Jeff Gunlock called out Michael McKee on X, noting that Mike's question that last week's FOMC press conference, he wrote the greatest financial media moment year to date was Michael McKee teeing up and then delivering what are you waiting for? To fed Cheer Worsh. Listen up, everybody. Here's what Mike had to say at the FOMC press conference last week.
Speaker 5: What vetting did you do of the people that you appointed to the task forces? In particular, given Mark Andresen's substantial political spending twenty five million dollars in just the past year to back candidates who oppose stricter IAI regulation, the public be confident that a committee he co chairs will provide an independent assessment of AI's economic effects rather than one aligned with the interests of the AI industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I selected fifteen incredible subject market subject matter experts to tackle five of the most important questions that if we get the answers right, we're going to do a far better job in delivering. And if we get the answers wrong, we have a problem. The comfort that I can give you and your listeners is all.
Speaker 2: Right, we're going to get out of that. That was actually not the SoundBite we wanted to play, but that was Kevin Warsh with Michael McKee. But Mike was basically saying, what are you waiting for? And Torstan you obviously watched it. He just was so general. Macro, what did you take away from Kevin Walsh last week?
Speaker 3: I think the market reaction speaks to Mike's question naming what are we waiting for? Why didn't you just high rates? The fact that they didn't do that, Yeah, and the margat reaction with a very very steep curve. Of course you should have high rates at least. Now we're beginning to ask questions in markets about, well, do you have the commitment to raise rates? Do you really think inflation will be two percent? And if you think so, what is the road to getting to two percent? Are you going to use the balance sheet? Are you going to use the fit fund rate? Are you going to use tider financial conditions?
Speaker 2: He should be able to answer, shouldn't.
Speaker 3: He did talk about tider financial conditions, which may have added a bit to the confusion, because it becomes really really important for the yeal curve whether you pick to do this through stronger balance sheet meaning lower balance sheet, whether you do this through higher rates, or whether you do this through tide of financial conditions, because if you trade rates, you of course will have a strong view on how is it that the fate is going to achieve the two percent goal? And you could say in theory that we want to do this through a smaller balance sheet, but we didn't even get an answer to that. So that's why people are not beginning to wonder, Okay, there's more volatility in markets. We have a steeper curve, more questions being asked. So therefore, if they don't hike in September, of course, then the market will just ask given more questions about what is now the plan?
Speaker 4: Can you do it through a fewer meetings a year?
Speaker 3: Well, that's one way, of course of doing it, but that doesn't change the facts that the.
Speaker 4: Market frame does. The New York Times reporting on Friday night that I saw that that the FED could have fewer meetings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and I think that that, of course would change the game quite significantly if they were to go to the legally manded only fall meetings a year. But it's very clear still that even that debate, the market will still try to price the FED at every single moment in time. And that basically means that we have a situation where the market constantly needs to think about how might the FIT interpret the incoming data? Right?
Speaker 4: Got, well, I guess what it does? It mean that we hear more from the FED speakers and they're sort of job owning between meetings. I'm just trying to understand a world we live in with less communication. If you want the market to serve as sort of the benchmark for the FED, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think the toothpaste will come out one way or the other other. If i'm C members will begin to have speeches where they say here's what I think. And normally some of these if i'm C members they don't get a lot of weight as such from financial markets, but today they are given a lot of weight because if the chair has decided to say I'm not giving not even forward guidance but also not framework guidance, then of course others who are willing to talk about not even framework guidance and forward guidance, but just give a description of the data and talk about how do they think the data could be evolving. I think that is going to get a lot more weight. Which is why when Beth Hammer puts something on LinkedIn on a Sunday afternoon, this suddenly gets people sent this to me all Sunday evening and say what do you think? How should we think about this? And this suddenly becomes really really important because the market is constantly trying to figure out what is the trajectory of where rates are going.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, I want to get to the sixty forty portfolio that we've talked about forever right being broken? Why so, and you have an AI aspect to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the really important aspect of this discussion is the following. The sixty to forty portfolio was really truly a stroke of genius when it was invented, because remember, if my stocks go up normally my bond prices go down. That means insust rates go down, and that means I make money on stocks and I may lose something on my bonds vice versa. When the stock market goes down, then bunt prices go up. In other yields go down, and that means, of course that I make money either on bunds or made money and equities somewhat somewhat randomly. Then pick sixty forty. This was the weights, and it made sense in an environment where the business cycle goes up and down. Sometimes I should have in stocks sometimes we're having a rate. So if that's the case, this was a very good way to balance your portfolio. The problem today is the following, Namely, today's stocks are really is drawn by AI is not driven so much by the business cycle, and it's highly concentrated, with the ten biggest stocks making up forty percent of the basket. So that means that the AI story has become absolutely critical as a driver of the stock market, and the fiscal situation has become a very important driver of the bond market because now we have significant physical problems, We have the fact that rates have been going up, the term premium has been going up, and therefore that's also not necessarily a function of what the business cycle is doing. So suddenly you have two new factors that have been a key driver of equity, name the AI, and a key driver of BoNT markets, namely fiscal which are not a function of whether the economy goes up and down. And therefore we may no longer have the property that you make money on one side and lose on the other, but you may actually lose on both.
Speaker 2: We've often said, and we've said that when you see the markets like both stocks and bonds going up in tandem, which is just unusual, right to see that in any given trade. Having said that, big Tac Torsten has been disproportionately moving the market even before we started talking a lot about AI. Is there something different as AI though that trade on steroids and even further disconnecting us from the business sid cale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's think about that exactly at this moment in the sixty forty context, because AI, of course is highly concentrated equity, so AI better work out otherwise equities will not go up. So if at the same time AI companies are also issuing a lot of debt, that takes money out of treasury markets into buy a hyperscale a debt, so in that sense, even the bond side of my portfolio is also being impacted. And by the way, is also now AI. So certainly I had AI everyone in equities. I also have AI in investment, great credit, and by the way, venture capitusal eighty seven percent is also AI. So now my whole pie shot it's actually all AI. So suddenly there's one factor driving everything I'm doing. And if there's one thing we'll learned in finance is facta investing and one factor is driving all returns at the moment, namely, AI is inequities. AI is in everywhere in public credit, and AI is also in ventor capsule. So the best recommendation today is to be not in AI, because that gets you away from this one factor that is driving markets at the moment.
Speaker 2: You did say in your note, the real risk emerges that the AI trade reverses or markets become more worried about government deficits. In either scenario, both stocks and bonds with face pressure, simultaneously leaving investors with no hedge, which is what you basically said, what happened with situational awareness the hedge find is that a sign to you of the AI trade reversing, Like, what's your read on that? And I have no idea if Apollo was interested in the assets.
Speaker 1: Of the share what you'd like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is that the beginning of a little Canarian the Colma.
Speaker 3: Well, what was of course very unusual about this is that it didn't take much decline in the AI trade and suddenly that was a blow up. It was a bit of a coincidence that this was the specific fund you mentioned, But it's very clear that the AI trade reversing. There's a lot of leveled ETFs at the moment. There's a lot of people that are having leveled bets on AI. Can only go one way. Name you up, and we're now finding out where the underperformings of growth for the last four months is very very substantial. Value has been outperforming. That's exactly telling you that in a sixty to forty framework, growth is just becoming more risky, simply because the AI story is beginning to also become more vulnerable, especially with this debate about open source models relatives the closed source models. If the Chinese models come and dominate, that will then of course take market share from the closed source models. And the question is how big is that eating into the market share going to be?
Speaker 2: The narrative has changed a lot from where we were three years ago. Tourist and Slot, thank you so much and thanks for hanging around. We really wanted to talk with you. His chief economist at Apollo Global Management, joining us here in studio