Speaker 1: Welcome in everybody to Fantasy Pros MLB. This is leading off the All Star Special brought to you by Bet three sixty five Bet five bucks, get one hundred and fifty and bonus bets when you use that promo code leading off, it's me Joey p. That of course is the Welsh and the Midsummer Classic is upon us. So Welsh and I decided to take it upon ourselves to declare our own All Stars for the American League and National League from the Fantasy Nerd point of view, because that's how we like to look at things. So we're gonna put our nerd glasses on, maybe some old man glasses too. We'll see how it goes. Welsh is fresh off vacation, so he is ready to go. Don't forget, everybody, We have got more specials for you. So if you're watching this video on the YouTube channel, don't forget to click on our review of what happened at the Futures Game and also the MLB Draft, because Welsh is the prospect guru. So all you folks who are playing in dynasty leagues, but look, let's be hones. These guys are making a bigger impact faster than ever. Make sure you go find that video as well. Welsh, I'm gonna let you start things off here with the National League. We're gonna go through. We're gonna find our position players. We're gonna find a couple pitchers, a closer as well in a DH, and I know some of these names are gonna overlap, but we're gonna talk about these guys from a fantasy standpoint. So let's take a look at Welsh's All Star team for the National League. William Contreras at catcher, no doubt about that. One, certainly makes sense. Christian Walker at first base, perhaps surprising to some people, Bryce Terang at second, Elie Dela Cruz my dude at shortstop, Alec Bohm at third, Jackson Merrill, look at you. I love it. You snuck him in there. Brian Reynolds, who's been absolutely fantastic for the Pirates, Helio Ramos, look at this show. A Otani at DH no brainer there, and Chris sale Zach Wheeler the two pitchers, with Ryan Helsley over at the closer spot. Let's start with the catcher here, William Contreras, because Welsh, Contreras was absolutely red hot April May. Then he's hit a little bit of a downturn of late, which was natural regression. You figure that's coming. Regardless, Contreras has been a great addition to this team in the last two years. Milwaukee Burwis still find themselves at the top of the Central and Welsh the guy was in that MVP conversation for a few weeks. He's fallen off. So here's a question for you. Can he regain that momentum despite the fact that he plays catcher in the second half of this season, because we all know the wear and tear of that positions a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't and he can absolutely. When you look at the games played, there are a handful of catchers in the league right now that are like eighty plus games played, and William Contreras I think is at the tip top. I think only Salvador Perez has ended up playing more.
Speaker 3: So can he? Yes?
Speaker 2: From a Fantasy perspective on his production, it's actually tougher for the NL. I just want to point out because one of the things when we're doing these all star teams for Fantasy, I think some people be like, you know, okay, where's some of the values and whatnot, and it's like, well, at catcher there was I think a lot more production out of the AL. This was between will Smith and William Contrerass for production. Contrara's eleven homers, five stolen bases, will Smith had fifteen homers. They had the same amount of RBIs at forty five. But William Contrerass leads all catchers with runs at sixty five and a better batting average. There was just nobody else in the NL that was really worthwhile from any type of fantasy perspective to push these guys. So value be damned here, William Contreras at whatever cost.
Speaker 3: He's the guy is.
Speaker 2: He's been the most valuable catcher. Even though I was very like, let's not take catchers super high this year. He is the catching All Star, even with will Smith having a few more homers.
Speaker 1: Now, I think what people are gonna find interesting they put Christian Walker at first base here. Now, technically Christian Walker does have more home runs than Bryce Harpert' twenty two to twenty one, more RBI sixty six to sixty one. Now Harper did miss a little time, but the batting as much higher for Bryce Harper and Freddie Freeman has a higher batting average as well. Despite having less home runs, he does just about the same run scored, more doubles, more triples, more hits overall, So how did you end up going Christian Walker at first base? Yea Homer?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, yeah, it's a little bit Homer. But again, this is think about this. This is a Fantasy All Star Game. So I do believe relative where guys were drafted comes into some part of the part of the conversation. It's not everything. So if you take that and you go all right, Bryce Harper has essentially as many runs, homer's and RBI as Christian Walker in like sixteen less games.
Speaker 3: That does mean something.
Speaker 2: Except Christian Walker was drafted exponentially later than Bryce Harper.
Speaker 3: Bryce Harper cost you.
Speaker 2: A second round pick, he missed games. His production was amazing. Christian Walker was almost free, not like free free, but like close to free, like outside right around that top one hundred range.
Speaker 3: Of people take him.
Speaker 2: The batting average a little bit stinky, but twenty two homers sixty six RBIs fifty eight runs, and guess what, They're not going to get him in the real All Star Game.
Speaker 3: And that's going to be a shame. We'll get him here in the fantasy.
Speaker 1: One, all right, to round out the infield. Elie de la Cruz. We know how good he's been. Alec Boehm is out there too, But Bryce Terrang is the other guy I want to talk about. And I get it because this is a guy that's got thirty stolen bases, already hitting two seventy seven here as of recording this, as we're at the break now, I mocked you and tease you about calling you a homer. Yeah, you didn't pick to tell Marte for this, and I'm gonna argue ka tell Marte's numbers nineteen homers, fifty seven RBI at two ninety two, batting average at eight seven seven ops. Also, it came out a pretty decent value, I think year over year in ADP. I get it. I get Terrang with the thirty steals. I understand that, and I think it's a fun conversation. One. Look, he's number two overall, right, so I get it, Like, I think that's that's fine. But at the same time, I snubbed your own Arizona Diamondbacks. So Christian Walker and him are gonna have a weird time when they get back to the locker room, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I don't disagree, Like this was a really, really tough one. And then Kutel kind of went off after we submitted these a little bit more. But again, I let the tiebreaker of this be the value Kudel Marte and him and Turing, we're the only two I was deciding between on this. I know Jonathan India said a solid season didn't matter. Kuld Tell's homer's runs, RBI's batting average, it's all been elite. He's even been stealing some. It might be the guy. But again, if we put our fantasy hat back on, Bryce Terrang was literally free, literally free, not like you know, figuratively. I'm like, hey, Christia Walker, anyone could have had him. No, Terrang was like free, free, like not even drafted.
Speaker 3: In a lot of spots.
Speaker 2: And what he's doing right now, he's low key putting up kind of a rookie season. Corbyn Carroll right now, two seventy seven, thirty stolen bases, he's got six homers, forty five runs, thirty eight RBI. He's going to finish RBI totals won't really matter, but it's going to be a lead, elite stolen bases, great batting average, maybe one hundred runs and double digit homers. That's kind of borderline a top three round player in fantasy at the end of the year. And he was literally not drafted in some spots on opening Day, So you're right, could telling him we're super super hard. Maybe because I put Walker in. I was like, let's get let's get a different guy in and let's get Terraing.
Speaker 3: And that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Oh, it makes sense. I think it's good that just to bring him up and remind everybody just well, good of a value he was. Obviously, you know, we don't reduce too much analysis at ELI of the carews, and we'd like to find maybe just a little bit more consistency. That would be nice. And Bowm is very deservant too. He's been terrific. He's been kind of an enigma. I feel like for the last few years he's had some spurts of good play, some moments where he wasn't so good, some moments where you wonder, does he have the kind of mental toughness to play at the major league level, let alone at the you know, Philadelphia major league level, because that crowd can be very tough at times. Outfielders Brian Reynolds again another guy that's just been fantastic. But Ramos and Merril, those are the two guys I want to talk about. You were the biggest Jackson Merrill supporter that I heard going into the season. You are sounding the alarms. You're sitting here now in mid July. The stats have been fantastic. You have to be thrilled with what you've gotten out of him. Now, the question is, as the league adjusts to him, and they will, how do you see that second half going for Jackson Merril? Can he maintain anywhere close to this pace that he's on for the Padres.
Speaker 2: I think the pace is going to be a little bit difficult simply because he did stack. We know, like he stacked all of that big power output kind of in a short period of time. So that'll be interesting. I will say what works well in his favor seventeen percent K percentage in the first half. I mean, he ended up with an almost two eighty average in the first half. Babbit numbers kind of low relative we don't have like a long term major league look at what those numbers are going to look like. So not saying he under overperformed, but some of these guys some times might run like three thirty Babbage, so that's thirty points lower. The negative to it is all that power was kind of put in a small little box. He also is still not walking. He's around four percent, not just under five percent, and that's something that's going to help when those bad streaks go on. So you'd love to see him walk more. But the lack of strikeouts, the ton of content is why he was put there. And I will tell you this outfield team, it is tough because again you know my whole theme here, when you're looking at value to where these guys ended up performing. Christian Yelich statistically deserves to be in there. Jerks and profile made the real one. He probably deserves to be in that conversation. But we were also just littered with injuries that took ronald' kunya off. This Ukunya and his production would have probably supplanted anything. Corbyn Carroll with the massive, massive downfall, you know, if he had had those stolen bases, could have supplanted anything. But again you look at this outfield. Brian Reynolds was the constant of constant and his production, his power output was huge. He's a big second half by from guy. He was the constant. But Ramos and Merrill, I know, it's weird to put you know, Yellish just went ten to twenty in the first half.
Speaker 3: He probably deserves it.
Speaker 2: But again, Ramos, you could have picked up like a month ago, and Jackson Merrill was free. So these guys all completely free, big massive production. Fourteen homers from Helio Ramos in the first half with a great average Jackson.
Speaker 3: Merril, same thing.
Speaker 2: These are all stars in the fantasy realm for your team. It's a big win to have these three outfielders.
Speaker 1: I think it also rings true that, you know, with Sodo leaving to the American League. Yeah, if you were playing an N only leagues this year outfield was kind of rough, Like you lost to Kunya, Sodo went to the al. You're looking around here, You're trying to find Scott h t Tease got hurt, and he was red hot when he got hurt too. It's kind of a slow meandering start to the season. Then he got red hot, then he got hurt. So it's been tough out there in those hottlefield streets in the National League. On the pitching side, Chris Sale and Zach Wheeler. Both guys sit here at the break with two seven zero era a sub one whip. Sale has more strikeouts one forty to one twenty six. Ironically, Raynald de Lopez is a better Era than both of them. So the Braves just continue to be unbelievable at finding pitching. I keep going back to the same thing, which is, you know, I think outside of Schoeyotani, there hasn't been a more important acquisition this offseason, even more than Sodo. Because as important as Sodo has been to the Yankees, the devastation of losing Spencer Strider in that rotation but having Chris Sale basically pick up without missing a beat. I'm terrified to think about what might have been for the Braves had Akunya stayed healthy and had Spencer's striders stayed healthy with the way Sales pitched, but alas it wasn't meant to be. So Now the question is Chris Sale at one hundred and ten innings Zach we are a one hundred and sixteen. We don't have any concerns about Wheeler, but we haven't seen a complete season from Chris Sale in some time. I think if he has a complete season, I think now the cy Young is his to lose. Do you think that's a hot taker?
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't at all. I think Sale is locked. He is locked in.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: We're going to give him a rest because you're talking about, like, you know, one hundred and ten innings and Chris Sale and the injury history.
Speaker 3: They're very aware of that.
Speaker 2: That's why he's not starting the All Star Game because they wanted him to have a break and they were gonna even push this last start out there. But he is performing at the elite cy Young level two seventy ra and almost it's eleven and a half k per nine with a sub two walk per nine.
Speaker 3: It's unreal.
Speaker 2: I do want to make one thing here though. I think the mistake I made, especially with this last start, what I would have made, you know, had I had the thought of it like two days ago, I would take Wheeler out for schemes because I still think from a fantasy perspective, there's some small concerns with like you know, all right, well, how was schen finish out?
Speaker 3: And da da da, But guys starting the All Star.
Speaker 2: Game He's been elite of elite, and if you compare him like Wheeler, when you look at his stats, it's just it's more valuable than most of the other NL guys. You are stacked with great pitchers to choose from on your al team, But me, Dylan Seese is kind of tapered back a little bit.
Speaker 3: You could maybe argue.
Speaker 1: Great finish though, I mean to the end of the first or to end of this All Star break by Seas. I respectfully disagree about the Skiens. Skeens is great and incredibly entertaining, and it's good for baseball, and he's starting the All Star Game and all that stuff. But I think the reliability of Zach Wheeler, the fact that we looked at so many pitchers this year who haven't returned their ADP, but Wheeler actually did, I think I think that means something, and I think we should give him some respect on that.
Speaker 2: And I think those are those are the three though, those are the three. If you were to do it, I might I might replace.
Speaker 1: Glass Now in that conversation without a doubt. I mean, glass Now has been terrific. I know, you know, the injury here has not been great, but you know, he's got a sub one whip, he's got a three four seventy area a little higher, but one hundred and forty three strikeouts, so certainly an embarrassment of riches between all of them. Let's take a look at the American League All Star Team. Joey PA's version Atlie Rutchman a catcher of lad Guerrero at first, Jose al Two at second, Jose Ramirez at third, Gunner Henderson at short, Aaron Judge Soto, and n Kyle Tucker. Despite the injury, I still think he deserves to be there. It sucks that he's missed this chunk of time here in the middle of the season. We hope that he comes back healthy. Same with Alvarez too, a little banged up going into the break, and then it's Scooble and Burns. It's been Scoobling Burns his entire time at Emmanuel class A as the reliever. So well, mine's a little bit chalkier than yours. But I think the American League is very clear cut. It's some of these spots here, I don't know if you want to argue for or against some of these guys. We can play that hand which I think is very fun.
Speaker 2: I have one glaring omission good that you have in there that I think is tough.
Speaker 1: Glare at me. Who is the glaring admission that you want to fight and pound the table for.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: The fight is a little bit different.
Speaker 2: But you put Jordan Alvarez in a DH which you know, like, I think that makes some sense, except you talk about the the glud of riches you've got in the al Bobby WIT's not on this team, and Bobby Witt twenty two stolen bases, sixteen homers a three twenty three average right now, I think it's hard to argue. And I would even throw in like a Raphael Devers who has twenty three homers.
Speaker 3: In the first half.
Speaker 1: I went positioned by actual position, So I think that's that's you know, that was how I took it to mean. So as we were doing it, that was my interpretation. Welsh's interpretation when we, you know, thought of doing the show was to make a little bit more fantasy ADP return value. But my problem with Witt was I couldn't put him over Kunner Henderson no twenty eight homers, you know, and has you know, still stealing bases and you know, leading the major leagues and run score. I love Bobby Witt, but Alvarez. I mean, look, sixteen sixty three, I get the twenty two steals from a fancy respective super important, and it's a great argument to have to leave him off as kind of crappy. But then am I discounting the two ninety six batting average, the nineteen homers and fifty two RBI of Alvarez? I don't think that's fair either. So it was a rock in a hard place. I decided to then go kind of with the the rules basically, if you will. But Bobby Witt, here's a question for you. Where's Bobby Witt in a keeper dynasty league situation at this point? For you? In terms of value? Is he top five? Is he top three? Like? How how high up the board is Bobby Wit?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: He's top three? Right now?
Speaker 2: I think there is there's a difficult clump to deal with. You've got Otani. Otani's older, that's I think the most difficult clump. But is elite of elite and position list. So Tani's there, you still have a Kunya because Akunya is young but now and and suffered and struggled a little bit before he got hurt, and then now this injury again, so those things are battling. And then you're inserting into that conversation. You're inserting Bobby Witt, who is becoming more and more consistent. That is a ridiculous first half line still with those stolen bases and homers and the batting average is crazy. Then you're inserting Gunner Henderson because Gunner Henderson deserves this maybe to be the number one overall guy. And then I think due to age, you can't not have Julio still in that conversation. So I think all of those guys are the top tier clump that I think Dynasty rankers could probably intertwine some version of those players, but they all belong there. So I guess you could say it's like top five. I think Bobby Witt is top three because I think one of the biggest keys is what he is showing you is he's showing you he's getting better every season. How many of these guys are we seeing not get better? Corbyn Carroll regressing Julio is going through a thing in the first half. He keeps getting better, and I think that consistency we want to give extra kudos to so he's like top three in that range. Can I see your outfielders game? Could you put your team back up on the board. I can't, I can't.
Speaker 1: It's Wan Soto, Kyle Tucker, and Aaron Judge. The Judge has to be on there. I mean, if only he could play the Baltimore Orioles every single day, life would be just spectacular. I mean it is absurd his numbers against the Oarls, but Soto has to be on there. Kyle Tucker. I really went back and forth on the Tucker situation because he has missed some time. But who you want to Stephen Kuwan in there?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I love Stephen Kwan. The batting average is really high. Riley Green is certainly a guy that I did consider. Durand Santandero nats.
Speaker 2: But the guy Joe, that's the guy right there, Jared Durant is the one that I think I have a problem with.
Speaker 3: Ten homers, twenty.
Speaker 2: Two stolen bases, a two eighty three batting average, and sixty two runs. Those sixty two runs, that's as much as Raphael Devers. That's more than Freddy Freeman has put.
Speaker 1: Up this year. No, but for the Saxon games a quarantine. But think about this too. He's got more walks, Kyle Tucker, than strikeout. Something you never see, right. So his OBP is three ninety five. He's crushing OBP leagues. He's got nineteen homers, ten steals in sixty games. Now, I know the sixty games is a problem, but if I'm talking about who has performed the best and who truly is a Fantasy All Star, Kyle Tucker to me was that guy. I was struggling though, because Riley Green certainly another guy that we loved. I mean, he is certain after a little bit of a concern, you know, dip in the beginning of April, he's been lights out. He's been great. But outfield again, I think overall these leagues where you're seeing the you know, five active outfielders and those fifteen team leagues, those are rough patches. Nowadays, it has been really tough to find anything consistent. If you hope you got Brian Reynolds at a good clip, I want to talk about the first base too. Al Tuove and Ramiers me, those were locks. Gunnar Henderson was a fun conversation with him and Bobby Witt, but Vlad Guerrero is the other guy too. Where I struggled with this one. I thought Josh Naylor deserved some love here. He's got more homers than Vlad, but the batting average was far lower, which was a little surprising. Two eighty eight for Vlad, two forty six for Josh Nayler. Going back and forth, but it was kind of a two horse race, and I kept going back and forth. Do you think I made the wrong decision here because Nailer as seventy RBI? Or should I not penalize Vlad because Toronto has kind of been lackluster around him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 2: This is like the only position where your side is not just absolutely stacked, like you have really tough decisions.
Speaker 3: Me personally, I have a hard time putting any guy in that's under two fifty.
Speaker 2: So, like, I don't really blame you for going Vlad here. Like Vlad, there wasn't a massive discount. There's not a value compared to where you took Naylor, Like there is a big difference, but the batting average is pretty low down there, and Vlad is on the uptick, So I'm fine with this.
Speaker 3: Lad.
Speaker 2: One I would have been hard set to put Naylor in there as well, all.
Speaker 1: Right, and obviously the pitching side of things schoolble Burns and you can't argue they've been absolutely brilliant, both of them. The question is who wins the cy young is it Burns on the more public Wriles team or schoobl who has been right there with him, even better arguably in some statistical category. So I have to wait and see how everybody finishes and how healthy they are. And of course as we look to the rest of the season, that means there's gonna be some call ups. Obviously more rookies will start to play. We're gonna talk about the guys in the futures game what we thought about them. Also, the MLB Draft happened this last weekend. We're gonna break down those guys. So look for the next video. Go click on that bad Boy on the YouTube channel. Subscribe to Fantasy Pros MLB and we'll be back with leading off live later in the week. So that'll do it for us, But the story of the game goes on for the Welsh. I'm Joey p. We'll see you next time. Kids.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball Podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is.
Speaker 1: By leaving a positive review on Apple
Speaker 4: Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros MLB