Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now, really, Hello everybody, Welcome back to another exciting rendition.
Speaker 1: Excit whom channeling?
Speaker 2: I'm channeling somebody who is through the Snagglepuss. It's kind of snaggle snaggle pus. I never know whom said, my name is Jason Alexander.
Speaker 1: What's your name?
Speaker 2: And we had the co hosts of Really No Really, the podcast where we explore things that make us say really no really. So I'm going to start off with a little story. Years ago, I was in a movie called Love Valor Compassion, and the end of that movie is myself and six wonderful actors go in skinny dipping in a lake in a quarry. We shot this film in boharn Wah, which is about twenty miles north of Montreal.
Speaker 1: In the middle of the summer.
Speaker 2: But we went into that lake at one o'clock in the morning, and I don't know what temperature it was. I can only tell you it instantly took our breath away.
Speaker 1: None of us could take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: And we're supposed to look like we're folliging and having the best time. We There was a ten minute magazine of film on the cameras. So for ten straight minutes, we're in this water, no dialogue, having a delicious good time and chilled and pained to the bone. We come out, we are miserable, We are shaking, you can feel it in your bones. And they go take two and we have to go back in and all I can tell you, on top of everything else, none of us had a genital of any.
Speaker 1: Female or anything in between.
Speaker 2: Sherlock Holmes looking with the spy glass, going there's nothing so to me, the idea of going.
Speaker 1: Into cold cold voluntarily, right is anathema. So we had both on Adam's show, which Adam Kroller Show, which is which is great. I love at him. It seems to be a popular show some yeah, I think. And he had just mentioned as we were talking about the Cold Plunge that he gets up and gets into cold water. And I wanted to know more about the cold Plunge. Was it a tech thing? Like is it? These tech guys came up with a silicon valley? And Adam's the kind of guy who I'm always fascinated with because he does stuff I do nothing I like. Homi collects care cars, he does TV shows, he writes movies. He's very happy.
Speaker 2: He was the father of the broadcasting industry. You know, he was in it just about before anyone in Buck of breactice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think still. So we want to get at him on because I wanted to find his stake, because I knew he probably had an unusual take about why he decided to do the ice plunge. I have a feeling that has to do with mental health. You think with Adham, I wouldn't guess that necessarily. I've met Adam. Well, let's see he's there. He looks very good today. You look really handsome today. The heather in the heather hoodie. It's a very powerful man. Look at you. Thank you. Thanks for having me. So you don't strike me as miss Greg a lefty, which I also like.
Speaker 3: I'm a lefty as well, my friend. But we shouldn't make too big a deal.
Speaker 1: No, we're going to die. Wow we die? Wow? Yeah? Wow. So in this very studio and we're in Howie's studio, should we brokass him? Adam was on and I also then saw him say, doesn't use the odorant, doesn't take a shower, that the fool is enough cleans everything. So you had a unique take on that. Why did you start doing what? What clicked with you to say I'm going to do this ice punch I'm going to try Well, I I heard enough people it's probably been about six seven years now. I heard enough people talking about it, saying it was good for you. And then I sort of followed down the path of everything you don't want to do is good for you. You know, eating eating broccolini instead of fudge is good for you. Working out versus watching TV's good for you. Hugging people and telling you you love them, very painful, but good, you know. And so there's I sort of subscribe to the sort of nature. You know, when you're sweating, when it's hurting, when you don't think you can do another rep, you do another rep. And that's what's good for you.
Speaker 3: And so if getting into a frozen swimming pool every morning is miserable, it must be good for you.
Speaker 1: So wait, is the theory in order to do extreme things in life, you got to force yourself to do extreme things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel there's a physiological benefit other people could tell you about. I'm not really interested in the physiological benefit of it. That is a happy byproduct of it. I'm more focused on you starting every day by doing something you don't want to do and sort of setting the table for the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, I do that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get out of a mish man, but I'm not. You seem to do you really? I'm serious?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Do you gravitate towards things that are challenging or uncomfortable for you?
Speaker 1: Do you like that sort of perule you do? Yes? Yes?
Speaker 3: I you know people you know, they always go, what made you want to do Dancing with the Stars? I go, Nothing made me want to do Dancing with the Stars. I didn't request to be on Dancing with the Stars. I would have been happy to never been on Dancing with the Stars. But they asked me, and it scared me. And once I realized I was scared, which I definitely was, then I realized, now I need to do it, because otherwise I'm just sort of running away from this thing that I'm not good at, which is dancing.
Speaker 1: So have you done have all? Right?
Speaker 2: So I'm I don't think I could skydive. I have a fear of ice. Have you done stuff like that? I?
Speaker 3: I haven't done a lot of you know, things that would have you would, you know, constitute a sort of extreme sports. But if you invited me to go skydiving, I would say yes, I would job just on the off chance I would run into Tom Cruise, we could strike up a conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, strap yourself telling me to go together and tan them. Because so if you.
Speaker 3: Saw I'm talking mid air, I'm not even talking about the plane ride. God, I'm talking. There's a fifty to fifty chance he will be next to you.
Speaker 1: Just look over.
Speaker 2: He to me up there for some reason, he's there already. Yeah, he's hanging out.
Speaker 1: So if you think at him, if you think back, how many things have you done in the past that were outside of your comfort zone that you remember? Because I read about the dancing with the sitars thing, and I thought to myself, there's no way if it was a hostage crisis, I would get out of that. There's no I would do it. And I gave you a lot of credit because I knew that that was not your Ballywick. What other stuff did you say yes to or seek out? It was really outside your comfort zone. That's surprised even you.
Speaker 3: Well, look, when I was younger, I entered into the Golden Gloves competition to box out here in LA and that scared me. I recently did the Mass singer and I can't sing. I can't sing as any you know, dancing and singing are the same for me, you know.
Speaker 1: No, Tommy tuone, so not going to happen. But you did it.
Speaker 2: I'm one of nine people tell me too, and actually gave me my Tony Award.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, Adam, you've been he's laughing. You've been doing the podcast since two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: You really were kind of like one of the first guys in, were you not?
Speaker 1: There wasn't much having one of them? Yeah. Now, But the interesting thing because I want you and I kind of know you a bit and I've listened to you for years. I don't think you do stuff to go? How many downloads am I going to get on this? Don't you don't live your life that way? I'm guessing yes. No.
Speaker 3: I don't really have expectations before I enter whatever endeavor I've gotten involved with. I just base it on do you want to do it or do you not want to do it? And is it what you do? And would you do it for free? Kind of a one of the yardsticks kind of measure should you be doing it? Would you be doing it anyway? And if the answer is yes, then I just moved forward. But the entire field of comedy for me was always that I just wanted to get off a construction site into a building with a microphone and do something, and that was about it. I never really thought about compensation or legacy or name recognition. I just wanted to leave this one place, go someplace else, and do something else.
Speaker 2: Was that characteristic always for you were even as a kid, or was it something that a sort of a change of life moment.
Speaker 1: Well, when I was a kid, I was kind.
Speaker 3: Of a long for the ride because my family was pretty broken and they didn't have any money.
Speaker 1: And then when I.
Speaker 3: Got out of high school, I didn't go to college. I knew I had to work. I needed money, I needed to support myself. I just sort of took whatever job was open, and that was construction labor.
Speaker 1: And I did that for a number of years.
Speaker 3: And once I sort of got out of survival mode, because survival it's hard. You know, when you get pushed off the back of a cruise ship, the only mode you're in is survival mode. You're not in Oh, I'm thinking about starting a tech company. You know, you're thinking about finding land, you know what I mean? And so I was in fine land mode from you know, age three to age twenty three. But once at age twenty three, i'd found you know, some land. I had a job, I drove a truck. Then once I got Survival that part down, I started thinking, Now, what's what would thrive mode look like? What would what would it look like to have a life where you just didn't exist but you actually did things and had experiences and met people that were interesting. What would that life look like? And that's when I embarked on the second chapter, And.
Speaker 1: That's you went growling. You started doing improv, you started to find and an amazing thing about your career too, is it you were calling k Rock as a fan, as a listener. That's how you were discovered, which is pretty insane way to go, right, what are the chances that you do it? And then you trained Jimmy to box, I mean out of nowhere, you said, I'd volunteered to tange Jimmy to box somebody, and from that you got a career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, I train while I was working as a boxing trainer, so you know, wasn't completely out of left field.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't calling in to train Jimmy Kimmel to box. I was calling in to train Jimmy or the guy or his opponent, oh, anybody. I didn't know either one of them. No, favorite doesn't know when Jimmy wasn't Jimmy, I didn't know who he was. But had I got my lover it though.
Speaker 1: But once you got in, were you were you? Was it a plan? Did you see openings and say I'm going to do that and really went for it or was it really luck well?
Speaker 3: I I got in intentionally to see the radio station and to physically I just physically wanted to see the inside of the radio station and and know how it worked to do radio because I was interested in radio.
Speaker 1: And once I.
Speaker 3: Met Jimmy, and Jimmy made it clear that he thought I had some ability, uh and that that maybe there's something I could do. Then my next mode was what how can I convince Jimmy to let me do something on this morning radio show Kevin and Ban.
Speaker 1: Bengos, it was it was you were working it at that point, and then all of a sudden and then the Bit came about, and then Loveline and then you don't talk about it much, but you're gonna were a book of records. As far as downloads, what was the amount of downloads that you got for for the.
Speaker 3: There's a plaque on the wall somewhere here, but it's not in front of me, so I don't know. I just remember thinking this is a oh, I would have a eduable record.
Speaker 1: A billion down, over a billion downloads.
Speaker 2: Adam, you really were one of the biggest and earliest successes in this. Do you have any particular take on what's happening in podcasting, where it's going, what it's become, what's good, what's been you know, it's it's become an industry before.
Speaker 1: And you were there really before it was that.
Speaker 3: You know, when I started, there was a handful of podcast I heard the other day there were like five point five million podcasts that were out currently. And it'll probably take the same trajectory as American automotive manufacturing in the thirties or something, which is there was no automotive manufacturing.
Speaker 1: Then there was Ford.
Speaker 3: Then there were a whole bunch of other independent manufacturers, you know, Dusenberg and cord and white, and you know, if you just go to Leno's warehouse and you'll see a whole bunch of American cars you've never heard of. Right, And then at some point it so it got saturated and then it got kind of reconsolidated a little bit, which is, you know, the ones that were working kind of fluffed off and the ones that were working remained. And so I think we're going to go through a sort of an ebb and a flow.
Speaker 1: When I when I came to Jason, and so I had this idea for this. It's selfish because I get to see him. If I didn't do this, he'd be traveling and doing shrow business without me. So this isn't distinctly show business.
Speaker 2: But as gentlemen kisses, so anybody Jason is thinking, is this his career?
Speaker 1: So when I started talking about it, there were three million podcasts at him. By the time we started working a four million, and you're wrong. There are over six million podcasts. I think while really, while I was thinking about it, it went up out. If there was a reel behind us, it would just be spinning around the national debt. But the joy of getting to do this, of all the podcasts he'd done, the thousands of hours, is there something that stands out? Is there one or two where you go this was pretty neat for me, pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: I had one of the surviving members of the band, Leonard skinnerd walk me through in great detail the plane crash, what happened, who died, how it worked, where he went, you know, the entire process of that flight, that faithful flight, the flight were half the banned, where they were sitting on the plane, what essentially killed them, and it was haunting and interesting. And the other one just sort of on that subject is I was talking. I interviewed the Sealed Team member that killed Bin Laden, and he literally just walked me through that night the same way. You know, up the staircase, who was in front of him, what they were yelling, who was behind him, who they encountered on the second floor, the women, you know, all of it, and it just in the in the kind of detail that you obviously couldn't get to if you were telling the story on a late night TV show or many other forums.
Speaker 1: You know, all the time in the world to.
Speaker 3: Really go through in very fine detail, granular detail of that flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, killing Bin laden you know, and you were there. Robert O'Neill, by.
Speaker 3: The way, is the name I'm trying to think of of the Navy team leader. I feel like I felt like I was there for both.
Speaker 2: Those those having heard that did zero Dark thirty sort of get it right in their depiction of it.
Speaker 1: It was zero Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think those guys always sort of say that got some of it right. They didn't get other parts, you know, right, But I think I recall him saying that was pretty close.
Speaker 2: Remember, I was going to change something, you know, because I'm thinking about all the things you do that you do in a sort of unique and way, and I want to make sure I have this right because I've never seen you do stand up live, but I catch a lot of you on some of the comedy channels, on the serious XM, and it seems to me that you are doing a spontaneous act that people will throw a topic or a title at you and you riff.
Speaker 1: Is that correct? That? Am I perceiving that correctly?
Speaker 3: Part of what I do when I do stand up is hand out ping pong balls to the audience before the show. They write one word on the ping pong ball, and then the ping pong balls are collected and put into a bingo hopper and then we spin them around. Someone on stage does it at the end of the show and pulls the ball out. Whatever the word is, then I must do a stand up bit on the word that's on the ping.
Speaker 2: Pong How did you How did you know you could do that? How did you even come up with the thought of wanting to try and do it? Because I understand you like the things that are challenging, potentially dangerous, and that certainly sounds like a fine example.
Speaker 1: But how did you know you could that you had that skill? Because it's really good.
Speaker 2: By the way, those are really really funny observations, and only funny, but they have a craft to them where it's it has sort of a natural flow, like a beginning, middle end to the routine.
Speaker 1: It's it's almost.
Speaker 2: It's almost as if it were crafted and written, but there's it's clear that you are doing it spontaneously.
Speaker 1: Well. Thanks.
Speaker 3: It was Jimmy Kimmel's idea, essentially, He's always just said you can just talk about anything any I remember, I remember somebody I was sitting around with Jimmy once and a reporter for some reason or something.
Speaker 1: And he said to this guy.
Speaker 3: Adam could do am to turn anything into a comedy bit, anything anything.
Speaker 1: If you just bring up something, I'll turn into a comedy bit.
Speaker 3: And the guy was drinking a coffee and he had a little plastic ster stick in it, and he pulled out the st stick and he said, do a routine on the ster stick. And I did twenty minutes on a ster stick. Jimmy went, all right, well, then he can do anything.
Speaker 1: So you're you're confident on the stage that you can do it doesn't matter what what you pick up. You know, I'm confident and I that I can do it.
Speaker 3: But I will admit that just like with any form, there are tricks.
Speaker 1: There are techniques. You know. It's not all pure, is it may sound.
Speaker 3: You know, there are times when somebody brings something up and you think, man, I got nothing, I got nothing for this, And then you go, you know, I got nothing for this. I'll tell you who else doesn't have anything. My brother, let me tell you about it.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say to coffee to buffet, I got it survival. And the audience thinks you're doing the thing that's on the road.
Speaker 3: You just slid into something you could do, which is but now if Jason listens and I thank you, you will hear that ninety two percent of the time, whatever's on the ball shall be addressed directly.
Speaker 1: I look at that, you see for your eager you have to go back and go However, yeah, high, I'm sure I heard almost two dozen separate clips of you doing that.
Speaker 3: It's not sleight of hand, but there are occasions where you will use little massages and techniques and things things of that nature, much like sometimes when you see a comedian doing crowd work, he's not really doing total spontaneous crowd work. He's doing the crowd.
Speaker 1: Work right right. So let's get back though for a minute, to the ice plunch? Do you do anything else like the ice plunch? That's that's trendy? Do you eat only food that's brown? You? Do you do the intermittent fasting trendy? Do you do the jump rope? You know, there's so much stuff in preparing today. I saw the Tiffany Hattish actually proposed dringing a little turpentine would be good, and I'm thinking, yeah, the fart paint off your wall. We're just drinking turpentine going to do for you. So are is there any other stuff that you do that's kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't do anything that would be considered you know, off the beaten path, like the cold plunges.
Speaker 1: I do do the intermittent fasting. Uh, there you go. And that's a thing that I did.
Speaker 3: Realize that about seventy percent of eating with sort of habitual and emotional, you know, I found myself. I'll give you a good example. If you schedule a lunch hour into your day, you will eat lunch every single day. If you don't schedule lunch in you will eat lunch and you don't really miss it.
Speaker 1: You really don't. You know.
Speaker 3: It takes about a week to sort of, you know, transfer into that mindset, but you really.
Speaker 1: I don't schedule lunch.
Speaker 3: I just go to work and I work, and then I go home and I eat dinner, and I don't I don't miss it. And I realized that lunch. When I work construction, i'd show up on the job site at seven am and start thinking about lunch because I hated the job and I couldn't wait to just sit down on a pile of drywall and eat a burrito for half an hour considering what I was doing. But I realized it was more psychological than it was physiological.
Speaker 1: And there's those of.
Speaker 3: You who are listening who go, no, I get low blood sugar.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: You know whatever, Drink some coffee in the morning, put some heavy cream in it, drink, drink a cup or two and leave the house. You'll be fine. And so you're down to one meal. My one meal a day is not kale the way I'm wired. And just so you should know, a lot of this for me is like I am going to forego lunch and I am going to forego breakfast, but I'm I'm not eating seaweed for dinner.
Speaker 1: I'm having a pizza, right and a beer.
Speaker 3: Like I'm going to join myself, but I will delay it so I can't.
Speaker 1: And why do you need have pizza stuff? You could have kale? Don't you get those lectured I mean people who try and convert you to veganism or whatever it is. I love that, And you go, well, pizza is not that unhealthy as a matter of fact. Great, but well, and what was calee? I never I don't remember what year did kale appear? Same year as tilapia? Yeah, fish. That's not a real fish.
Speaker 2: There's no When I was growing up, there was not a tilapia in the sea. All of a sudden, everything's a tilapia.
Speaker 1: And my mother never said kale, let's have kale for dinner. What was it? Didn't we know what it was.
Speaker 3: It's somewhere in between cabbage and lattice and unnecessary.
Speaker 1: Do you know where kill was?
Speaker 2: It was underneath the potato salad on the Coastalina.
Speaker 1: It was china potato. I'm making a thing.
Speaker 3: Tail was a substrate that you would put an ice cream scooper of tuna salad off.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's substrate. I have a.
Speaker 3: Theory that people eat way too many turkey sandwiches and not nearly enough egg salad sandwiches. And I say that people like egg salad sandwiches, they just don't order.
Speaker 1: That because I don't know about you, but I grew up in a Rohoman Philly. We didn't have a ton of money. You made an egg at home, you don't order it to order it out. I can have it at home. Why am I paying? My phone will go where are you pain have an egg out? We can have an egg at home. Eat something you can't have at home. When you eat that, I had pressure. We used to go to buffet and we would rehearse because it's a shrimp. Don't load up on that. I still walk into a pfeted in. I get nervous because I hear my dad. It was like a military maneuver I want you to do. You're an idiot. You're an idiot. We have salad at home, but we used to have assignments.
Speaker 2: You get you're doing seafood, you're doing meats, you're doing interesting vegetables.
Speaker 1: Don't get stupid. So egg, I love excelad out by the way, What can you do? I always get on the mountain rice pudding. Oh wow, fantastic. That is a power mode. That's you bet, that's a discern channel. Well, but Adam used to be like me, worked in the radio station for a lot a lot of years. And what would happen at the radio station if you get hungry there? Your choices are a ligament sandwich, which is like meat that you can't it's like a missionin tire, and two pieces of bread you don't know what it is, and then bad snacks. They never had anything egg salad in the machine. At the radio station, it was always a ligament sandwich, right, didn't you eat from the carousel of death? At the radio station, we didn't even have a carousel.
Speaker 3: We had a coffee maker and a powdered substance that didn't say creamer, It literally said whitener.
Speaker 1: Right, when are you right? There wasn't They didn't.
Speaker 3: Want to be sued by the dairy counsel and say the word crazy. Literally, We're going to change the color of your coffee, and that was their only promise.
Speaker 1: And I always felt that people made that in a plant wearing headgear like has meat suits because they didn't want to have breathed it in and I'm pouring it in my coffee.
Speaker 2: See, but you guys, I would have had I would look so much different today if I hadn't done Seinfeld, and if Seinfeld hadn't been so successful, because you know, we had catering. I was in I was in Jerry's office when a caterer came in to audition for the job of being the caterer for the season, and she asked, what is the budget I'd be working with? And Jerry looked at her like she had three heads and went unlimited, unlimited budget for cater we would have.
Speaker 1: Let me let me tell it, because I come coming like to the promis Land. So I've worked on sitcoms before. You have a barrel of licorice, that red liquorice, red vines. You have a couple of bars of like nature valley bars, an apple, a banana from three weeks ago, and that's about it. I go to this is Jason at Seinfeld. First off, it's like Steven Spielberg when you opened that warehouse and it went forever the table. You couldn't see the end of it, and it was terreens of stuff. It was like guys were messing around just to see if they could get like a side of beef. It was anything.
Speaker 2: It was full catered meals twice a day catered, and it was I gained.
Speaker 1: I gained nine seasons. So before we go any so the ice bonge we know you do even though, but you seem like a guy who enjoys.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm getting from you. You are very comfortable doing the uncomfortable if you think there will be a side benefit to it of any kind.
Speaker 3: I I'll further that by saying I believe the side benefit is engaging in the uncomfortable behavior for its own sake or its own sake.
Speaker 1: You've boxed, You've done movies, You've done a lot of stuff. This is why I uh, I'm not. I'm not. We're not We're not the same, We're not the same spirit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even like I avoid this comfort. I try to avoid this. You're going and frankly not healthy. I'm not healthy as a result. I haven't gotten anywhere. It's not like I'm I'm not the dream, I'm not the standard.
Speaker 1: We'll see who goes first. Is are you doing anything in death that's unusual? You like cars? I don't.
Speaker 2: That's not in death. But are you like freezing yourself? Are you confer yourself? Are you now?
Speaker 3: I figure there's enough AI and enough of me talking to a microphone where I can just keep the podcast going for another time.
Speaker 1: You don't have to show up anymore.
Speaker 2: And you have kids, right, so they'll they'll profit off of that for years and years of them what their peak?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do, they do.
Speaker 2: They follow you in this practice of trying the now. They're just children of comfort. You've spoiled them, and children of comfort. Boy, that should be our next TV show, Children of Lifestyle.
Speaker 1: You got to run, you got hard out, you got to do your thing to millions, say you guys got there. So the cold lunch for people who don't know, listen, let me just ask you something. Did he convince you would you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll tell you why I don't do it, because you do know that I do research, right, I like cold has gone back to the Greeks and the Romans. Okay, they use cold, But here's I just looked up some health issues as far as unintended. And by the way, I know when I'm prepping this stuff. Yeah, I can hear your voice in my head, so let me read you this. And where you're going to interrupt is exactly where I heard your voice in my head. Okay. Evidence supporting the health benefits of cold therapy remains scanned. Experts partion that for some people, shocking the body of cold water could do more harm than good, even less than frigid temperatures. The National Center for Cold Water Safety.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, yeah, I visited it it really the last time I was in Where is it?
Speaker 1: Where where is that center? I think it's in cold Water. I was at cold Water city. I heard you. I just said, the National Center for Cold Water Safety. Yeah, honey, I got the job. I'm the director of the Cold.
Speaker 2: Water I'm in the Piscataway office.
Speaker 1: Well, the National Center for Cold Water Safety. Yeah. Warrens that sudden immersion in water under sixty degrees fahrenheit can kill a firston in less than a minute.
Speaker 2: How much money did we spend to support this organization to come up with that finding.
Speaker 1: Doctor pur Hey Plutsky Oh said that cold shock can be dangerous. He's the director of preventive cardiology. To bring him in this hospital in Boston. Whether their health benefits or not is not clear and has not been established. Here's what happens when you're point in cold water. As you said in the beginning of the episode, mind is the extreme shrinking. Yeah. It triggers a sudden wrapid increase in breathing, which you say, heart rate and blood pressure known as the cold shock responsies. That can cause a person to drown within seconds. Yes, if the involuntary gasp while their head is submerged. The shock also places stress on the heart and makes it work harder. So the reason that I don't do the cold orange yeah, is pretty much that we have.
Speaker 2: We have talked about this before. My mother wouldn't let me get on a skateboard. Did you hear if I said, ma, I got this daily regime now loving it. I go in freezing cold water and I stay there for as long as I can till it burns my skin, and then I come out and I feel great.
Speaker 1: Now. What it does say, I'm sure, is that there is a rush candle. Here's what mean it can do is reduce information and athletes use it to helpriaths and that that kind of stuff. But doctor Plushy says, you don't know if you've got to where do you have a pre existing condition? And you go, I'm trying the ice plunge. It's your last I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 2: You know, you and I both know people that are dealing with mental health issues of anxiety and depression, and this has become a very popular suggested therapy.
Speaker 1: And I know one person to try. They got so depressed because they couldn't take it. Oh, there you go, it's set you up. There.
Speaker 2: They got in for ten fifteen seconds, they couldn't take it, and they got out and they felt It's another thing I didn't measure up to. But you know, there are ways that people are dealing with this because of anxiety. And I have never had depression, but I have not clinical depression. I had severe anxiety, as you know. Yes, And the reason why I think people do this stuff is the shock value. And you don't have to go in cold water, because you know the story. I was having anxiety attacks during my Broadway run of Neil Simon's Broadway Bound. I was getting There was a period in the show where I just had to lay down on a bed and be still for about ten minutes, and I was getting anxiety attacks during those ten minutes, and to the point where my heart was beating. I had the cold sweats. I thought I was going to die. I wanted to run off the stage. And they would get worse and worse and worse every night. I was embarrassed by it. I thought my career would be over, you know, I wouldn't be able to be an actor.
Speaker 1: I didn't tell anybody, you know.
Speaker 2: I finally, after about six weeks of this, confided in my acting teacher because he was not only my teacher, but he's a friend of mine. And I said, Larry, I just got to tell you. I'm having this crippling anxiety on stage. I think I'm going to pass out. I think I'm going to lose my mind. I'm worried I'm going to ruin the show. I'm going to ruin it for the audience. I'm going to ruin my career. I'm gonna have to give a back thing. I'm going to do this. I'm gonna do that. I'm gonna do that. And I'm waiting for this very sympathetic response and he turns around and he says to me, you know, you're a goddamn egomaniac. I went what he said, It's all about you. You've made it all about you. This is going to happen to you. This is going to happen to you.
Speaker 1: You're going to do this. You're going to be that.
Speaker 2: He said, Jason, Nobody gives a crap about you. People are there to hear the story. Tell them the goddamn story.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 2: It was the most hold what I perceived as it was a cold lunge response. You're expecting compassion or sympathy and you'll get that. And I was really rattled by it. And I went to do the show that night and it fidn't. I didn't get the anxiety attack that I didn't get it the next night, didn't get it the next night, and I've never never had it again. And that was a sort of a one time shock to my system where he did spin my head around. He said, look, you're you're so in your head that you're making yourself crazy and it and it's true, and perhaps that's the value of.
Speaker 1: A shock to your city.
Speaker 2: But I don't get up every morning and go, hey, Larry, tell me I'm a goddamn it.
Speaker 1: I tell you that every day. That's harbardar I nothing, that's your job. My take on this, the real series takem is it society today because we got so much stuff coming in so fast once quick fixed, and quick fix amounts to cutting corners, and that that patience and is no longer rewarded. And we we were not looking for the most effective solution. We're looking for the quickest fix in time. So I think all of these things listen if if it that said, look, folks, people are out there trying all kinds of things is and if it's working for you, then it's working for you. Just remember the words center for a cold water or whatever that was. Yeah, but they do in the Silicon Valley. Dopamine fasting is one of the newest buzz starving your body of food, sex, alcohol, social media, technology, anything else that might give you even a flicker to fund SOT and then that's that's I live that. If that's a thing I'm doing that. Organized intimacy is the thing where you organize it. In other words, is that the same as scheduling? Yes, eye contact, parties, come parties, conscious imagined drinking turpentime I told you four. Tiffany Hattersh revealed her cure for the common cold drinking Turpentine can split a term of time. It's not she says, it's not going to kill you. No, I know.
Speaker 2: Somebody used to say a teaspoon of vixed vapor up swallowing, And I.
Speaker 1: Thought, oh, my Polyphasic sleeping is when you sleep in less than three hour blocks, which is my life, which is why I went. But let's hear for Google Heim real quick, David, Googlehime, Yes, google him. So what happened during this episode?
Speaker 3: To you?
Speaker 1: By the way, thank you, Jason. It is very good to be seen.
Speaker 5: Wanted to get into the Tiffany Hattish comments she had made to GQ in an interview with them. The comedian and actress had sang the praises of turpentine to help with certain ailments.
Speaker 1: This actually has some historical roots.
Speaker 5: It was used by slaves in the pre Civil War era to treat certain ailments. It was also used in the Civil War era, given to patients for both internal and external wounds. But the use of this particular treatment goes back much much further. The Romans, according to Atlas Obscura, used it to treat depression, reeling it back to modern medicine. Doctor Toby Litovitz, the executive director of the National Capital Oison Center, says that turpentine is a poison and it contains a variety of compounds that can cause serious injury, even symptoms as bad as seizures and coma, So that one we might want to put on the show. So that also got me to think, well, where did the term snake oil come from? Are you guys familiar with that?
Speaker 1: I might know the term, but yeah, I didn't know you could buy everybody also ringing out a snake. You grab a snake and ring.
Speaker 5: Them out, Well, you know, Peter. Actually it's not too far off of it. Snake oil was actually part of traditional Chinese medicine where they would take the Chinese water snake and you know, do whatever you do to get the oil out of that snake and use it.
Speaker 1: I don't I'm watching, I don't want to know.
Speaker 5: The interesting thing about that is the oil that you could get from the Chinese water snake is rich in omega three, fatty acids.
Speaker 1: So inadvertently they were doing something that was better. So you could either eat a salmon or squeezes snake or squeeze this name WW or squeeze the name. Now.
Speaker 5: The interesting thing is that the snake oil came to the United States in the mid eighteen hundreds as thousands of Chinese migrants came to the United States for the Transcontinental Railroad. And in this migration they would often share it with other workers, you know, non Chinese workers, and people found that there was tremendous benefits as far as joints and rheumatoid arthritis and these sorts of things that actually had medicinal value.
Speaker 1: Well, this idea was taken up by Clark.
Speaker 5: Stanley, who gained notoriety in the late Adrias hundreds. He heard about the rumors of the snake oil there on the on the railroad, so he wanted to cash in on the practice. But there were no Chinese water snakes, so he picked up rattlesnakes and supposedly made oil out of them. Now he later became known as the Rattlesnake King. To make a long story short, rattlesnakes don't have the omega threes. But it doesn't really matter because the tonic he was selling didn't really contain any snake oil at all.
Speaker 1: It was make all salesman. There you go, got it, There you go? You know what? I just got an image of like a warehouse with a million women sitting there with buckets of snakes. How are you doing later, cameras, here's just rattling a little bit wash wash about you like? But you like? So, by the way, before we go, I gotta tell you diets of because this blew me away. Steve Jobs, the late founder of Apple, was known for eating habits. You know, he i to pancreate a cancer, but his his eating habits. He would eat only one or two foods at a time for a week, like for weeks that's the pendulette carrots and apple. Yeah, pended potatoes or something.
Speaker 2: Well, he would do if I understand correctly, Penn. When he started his he lost over one hundred pounds. He would eat one the food and only one food for a week. I know potatoes was one of them.
Speaker 1: That can't be healthy. Broccoli, I think we can't be healthy. And by the way, God Jobs came to regret that he needn't go traditional medicine. But he also is like at him. He didn't shower regularly and didn't wear the odin because he thought veganism would alleviate the smell. Zuckerberg. Mark Zuckerberg said he eats whatever he feels he would eat that day because he doesn't like to waste time on small decisions. This is what big guys. I'll eat it. It's there, I'm eating it now. Well in that way, I'm very Zuckerberg. Okay, except that then he changed. Remember what he did. He changed his personal challenge in twenty eleven to only eat meat from animals. He killed himself so people would come over and you'd have goat. You'd have goat, and Jack dorsey E from Twitter said it was cold goat so I passed Dorsey ate two hard bowled eggs with soy sauce every day. That's his thing. Used to be a vegan, too much, too much beata charity, and he turned orange. So he's that happened in my life. She turned on.
Speaker 2: She she was you know, Dana eats very healthily, but she she for a while there she was eating a lot, a lot of sweep oftatoes and carrots. And not only did she turn orange, but if you took a tissue and sort of wiped her skin, if she was a little damp, you get orange on this sky. I mean Lich was coming out of it. He was coming out of her forest. Elon Musk doesn't usually breakfast. When he does, he'll lead a Mars chocolate bar because you know, I guess you're going to take that into space, he said, I inhale it in five minutes. He focus on dinner, which takes place while he's working. He never stops, never stops to eat. Doesn't that now you understand? Elon Musk back. You know these guys take every I want to put some fruit loops in my oatmeal? Does that count as anything? They write the story of me. Bill Gates eats Coca puff zero for rex puffs. You know what Jerry Seinfeld got me into. I never did it before I met him, cereal combining. I had never done it. He made an art out of it. We had, you know, we talked about our crazy catering.
Speaker 1: There'd be twenty different zero combining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A little bit you put, you know, maybe a third of a cup of cocoa puffs and some fruit their special k for the health and the grape nuts, you know, and you mix them all up a malone.
Speaker 1: Well you have to, because you can't eat grape nuts is like eating grab. I love grape nuts. I like it mixed with them, zeal grape nuts.
Speaker 2: If you're listening, sponsor, I will eat it on the air, I'll eat it all through thing. I actually love grape nuts. Tastes like a wild hickory not Who was that?
Speaker 1: Remember that Guyel Gibbs Gibbons, that's you know, that's taking a space in my mind for importance? Why I remember I.
Speaker 2: Do so much Jerry Seinfeld reference on this. I can't remember my commercial name, but I remember your stars and commercials. We just accept I'm mul Gibbons and I say it, and you go I never heard of you'll give my authority. My favorite that Jerry said was CERTs now with more Redsen and he goes, we didn't know what Redsin was before.
Speaker 1: Now we're going more Redsen.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Really well, thank you Adam Carolla, thank you for.
Speaker 2: Spending some time with us, and uh remember yeah tomorrow when you're when you're when your testicles are coming up into your throat, please think of me. And Peter Fondley, thank you for watching. Thank you, David Gougan, Thank you. The boys here every Tuesday we have a new episode for you. You can find them on the iHeart app, the Apple App, or wherever you get your podcast. If you are watching on YouTube, we hope you do. Please remember to like and subscribe. If you have a really no really that you have seen, experienced, or heard of, send it to us at our website really noreally dot com. And if we use it on the air, maybe you'll you'll meet Adamcarrow who knows.
Speaker 1: Maybe No, I thought you were going to get all the way through it without a FUNC. Yeah, that wasn't the fun. That was a turn really no really, Home of the Tepid Plunge. Oh I like it