Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: Say, take voluntie.
Speaker 3: We are the authority.
Speaker 1: R and Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: I'm Jay Valentine and this is the R and B Money Podcast, And today get your notebooks out.
Speaker 1: We're about to do some developing. You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's just a lot of artists out here that they may be a little uncooked. I need to go back into that oven. And I brought the perfect person today that's gonna get you right. I'm you know, I'll you'll find out.
Speaker 1: You'll find out. I'm not. The intro is gonna be shorter. Today.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna introduce you to somebody you have to know in this music business, the legend.
Speaker 1: The architect, Divine Stevens.
Speaker 3: What's good, my brother, man, I'm excellent, man, Man, I'm glappy to be here. Man, Man, you know I've been chasing you down. Bro oh man, you definitely had an app.
Speaker 2: Out on me.
Speaker 1: Listen. I'm not ashamed to say it.
Speaker 2: I did get a few phone calls. Yeah, when my man Q Parker hit me up, I said, Man, tell J Man, I'm down.
Speaker 1: I'm down.
Speaker 2: And then when I was answering that call, I said, oh, hold on a second, Q, Let me click over.
Speaker 1: Then there was a little running, so I was like, oh, Man, so you know, just shout out man.
Speaker 2: To you man for providing this platform man for people to receive information about the industry. And I mean, I know this is you know, it's a passion job. But at the end of the day, I just want to commend you and Tank for shed light on R and B.
Speaker 3: That's the intention, man, is to have people like yourself on here, man, that you know that don't do a lot of interviews but are very instrumental in this thing we call music and entertainment. I want to say music because yeah, and we're gonna get to that right right.
Speaker 1: You know you do you do it all.
Speaker 3: You've done it all man, and and and in our opinion, you need to be celebrated.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you so much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So let's get into it. Man. Let's let's let's let's start. Let's start that hold on how much time we got, man, Come.
Speaker 3: I'm here with you, I'm here, we were hanging out. Okay, awesome, let's start in Atlanta, man. And and you know, young divine, wow, young divine man, Like, what did this thing all start for you? And who who who had the eye for the talent of divine Stevens?
Speaker 1: Who caught that first?
Speaker 2: I want to say, man, at the age of five, w A O K the radio station, I enter into a contest and you.
Speaker 1: Enter a contest at five at five years old?
Speaker 2: Okay, all yeah, and I was doing James Brown. Of course you were black, and I'm proud. And you know, some people say, well, how do you remember at five? You know, because my mom always kept the trophy and she had photos from back in the do you want oh, yeah, absolutely one, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: So it started then, you know, being from Atlanta, I'm a Grady baby for those who don't know, that's like the Premiere Hospital right in the heart of Atlanta. Grew up in projects, started out in Carver Homes, and from Carver Homes, we kind of bounced around. I'm kind of from all the projects. So I'm really like a project baby. So when your grandmam would live in the projection and then your dad, h yeah, so you get dropped off to all those places. So from Carver Home, the Kimberley Court, the Hollywood Court, to high Point to Mchannisville. So I'm from all those places.
Speaker 1: You got homies everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, homes everywhere. So father lived in Capitol homes. So that's really where it all started. So I was able to pull all these little different information and seeing creative things in all these places, and at the age of five growing up performing in all these places. So I would put street performer first.
Speaker 1: I mean I was as well brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me it was it was Beijmon's Wharf in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was, you know, kind of doing the breakdance era. So grew up doing all the popping and locking and rapping, and then you know how fast forward the story in high school from the beating on the table to rapping and the whole night and winning all the talent shows. I heard you Parker talk about talent shows. That's in a different era, but doing my yeah, yeah, doing my era. I paint a picture for you. The MC of that show would be Chris Tucker, so that would be Chris Chucking. And then I give you the R and B part of that show Talent Show, And this was Columbus, your high school. So I'm just a paint that picture for you. And Silk will be on that show and then that would be this one group that needs no introduction, okay, and that would be FDC, the group that I was a part of. And the f d C stands for Fresh Dance Crew, and you know, if you're from Atlanta, you already know the FDC stands for Female Draws Collectors because we collected everything from them, throwing them.
Speaker 3: Yeah hey man, yeah man, panties, yeah, okay, all right, yeah yeah, So back there, okay, yeah, okay, back then, yeah, Emale Draws collect.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So were y'all singing and rapping tour? Just dancing?
Speaker 2: Well, it started off dancing, then we moved it into the singing era and then the rap era, so it's kind of like transition.
Speaker 3: What made y'all transition, was it, Okay, we need to add more to this thing.
Speaker 2: I think what added to it just was the fact that we had won all the talent shows, so purely dancing. At first, it's completely dancing. So a lot of schools wouldn't allow us to enter the talent shows, so they started making us special guests. So then we were trying to figure out how to you know, kind of add different things to it, and so that kind of went on to lip syncing. So we started doing lip syn that that was really huge back in the day. And so when we started lip syncing, then that turned into the singing and the rapping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and really developing it out.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Okay, so now you're in high school. You got all the draws, you collected all the draws.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you how my high school looks.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you what high school looked. Likes me so and the Talent Show era. So I went to a high school where I met Dallas Austin. And this is right around ninth grade, tenth grade, and men Dallas used to hang out in the bathroom, Like we'd go to the bathroom. I'll see him in there here and there picking his hair. He had the hot Top fade and I had finger waves. This is this is like we like thirteen, fourteen years old. So in school, I got finger waves. He got this hot top kid and play fade and he rolling around with a keyboard at school at school, right, and we and kids don't do this, but we really wasn't going to class. Were kind of at this age already kind of know what we want to do and what we want to be okay, all right, So that's one part. So the finger waves part of it. I used to model for Bronner Brothers Switch.
Speaker 3: Most people don't know, huge huge hair convention shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there. So it went on to performing at the Branner brother show. So I used to There was a hairstyle that the name was Carol. She owned a beauty salon called Escape, and Escape is a place where it was like a hub, a melting potway the glamour, things about the imaging and things that I learned happened in that space. So that's where Brown Brothers. They brought that element to the table. So I was able to be around that energy take a little bit of that. So I'm gonna show you how I was able to take all these different pieces. I took the hunger from the projects. I took the imaging for Browner Brothers, the styling from Carol, and then from that part of it, I was able to take that and know what an artist should look like from actually listening to R and B records over and over again back in the day. I think I may have Guy on repeat, new Addition on repeat, Tony Tony Tony on repeat and singing all of those songs. To singing those songs over and over again kind of helped me understand how to cultivate and develop talent.
Speaker 3: In your mind, are you doing this with the mindset of developing other people's talent? Are you doing this like I'm developing my own?
Speaker 1: Like this is none of No.
Speaker 2: I was developing the group that I was in, so I would we would learn something. And how I became, you know, and every group got the lead or this person that person. So I was the understudy of a god by the name Aunt Francis, and I watched him put it all together, and then from him putting it together and then from me being able to tap into all these other sources, is how I developed the love and the passion to develop the presentation. Yes, and that's what we became king and known for, was the presentation.
Speaker 3: Okay, how long do you guys have FDC before you decided you're gonna go do your thing?
Speaker 2: FDC last probably about a good five six years before the group broke up. And the group broke up just because of you know, we was kind of managing ourselves. We didn't have managers, and it was just so many women. Man it was just I mean so many girls back then, it was just unreal. So you saw the older guys start dating more and it just start slowly pulling everybody apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we used to have just went toward that more. So, Yeah, they were growing up different.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of guys went off to college and then you know, other ones that start having kids and just it just kind of separated life start having yeah life for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for you though, you were, like you said, from thirteen years old, you already had really five But yeah, you know, once, like you said, once you and Dallas was hanging out, you found a kindred spirit of somebody.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, well, this guy's walking around with a keyboard every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna probably end up doing something in music and staying to this Was it something for you once you got into high school, regardless of the group, where you just like, this is this is about to be what I do in my life.
Speaker 2: Nah, I didn't think, you know, at one point in high school, I thought I was going to be football player. So I played football, Yeah, played football, played basketball, So I thought maybe I had a shot, you know what I mean at playing sports. So this became natural. The entertainment side was natural, so I didn't take it like if it was a challenge because it just became natural. But every time I had an issue or something didn't go right in my life or things seemed uncertain, I would always run to this, so it became more of an escape. Yes, I'm at peace when I'm developing. I'm at peace when I'm creating, and that's when the passion comes alive and in my darkest moments.
Speaker 3: So the group breaks up, and now you're a solo artist, but you've been developing. Like you said, you went from all right, purely danced to now rapping, singing, and now are you do you go do?
Speaker 1: Do you go make a demo?
Speaker 2: Did I go make a demo as a songo? Yeah, as a solo artist, I made a demo. It was funny because actually Dallas Austin made the demo. Okay, yeah, so it was funny. It was because I took the beats from Dallas and I used to work with a rapper by the name of Raheem the Dream. So actually I used to put Raheem shows together and Raheem actually wrote the raps. So that's how I started, and I took those raps and put it to the beat, and then I went and performed at Fat Tuesday Frozen Paradise on Old National Highway and met a young lady by the name of Kimberly Stewart who was related to Pebbles, and she saw me perform there and then took me to a Parents A Parents signed me up to a production deal Platinum, and then from there took us to Pebbles. So we had to perform in front of Pebbles. If Pebbles approved, then you get a chance to meet La and Babyface. So right at that moment boom, Pebbles approved. We flew to LA and we performed, and it was weird because when they came in, you know, you got to think, I'm listening to Babyface records all day in order to the Love of Adams on repeat. And they walked in, didn't speak, They had on shades like this, right, and they sat down. Pebbles is talking and press play. I mean, we went in you're talking about hunger at a at a level where we felt like if we can impress these guys, our whole life change, right, So lead us to say they signed us on the spot and so that makes me the first artist signed to let Face Records.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So because I thought Damien Dame. No, no, no, Damien Dame.
Speaker 2: They was a part.
Speaker 1: They were.
Speaker 2: I think Dial was doing background vocals. She was there before I got there. But I think they didn't sign them. They moved them to Atlanta. Okay, they're from Los Angeles, so I think they came in. But the first thing on the ground in Atlanta was US.
Speaker 1: So you said us, So you weren't a solo artist.
Speaker 2: No, no, So it was Divine feature in Night in Miles Power. So yeah, so it was me and then I had a couple of other eyes that dance for me. Okay, that was a part of the dance group prior that came from fd CA. Okay, got you, got you?
Speaker 1: So what were you rapping and singing?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it was both. It was kind of both because I give you a story about a couple of songs. So they had some songs that was almost demoed out. So I went in with Darryl Simmons to record, Yeah, the ultimate silent partner with Daryl. So I went it with him and uh, I cut baby Baby Baby TLC song and I cut this song something you want to know, before TLC was even discovered. Yeah, yeah, and even on the songs that Dallas and then I went back in the studio with Dallas and I had voiced the men singing yes, bro.
Speaker 1: Time out, yeah, man, time out Yeah, Man.
Speaker 3: You sing baby baby baby before before TLC the first artist's sign to the yes and now you got boys to men just randomly singing on the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dallas had put them on a song just before they came out. Dallas would make some songs and then he would bring them to my house.
Speaker 1: Okay, so are they signed at this point? Are they? Yeah, they're signing Michael Bimans at this point. Huh.
Speaker 2: And but they didn't have any identity at this point. At this point, you know, he was figuring out the music, and while he was figuring out the music, he would bring them to me for me to work on the development part.
Speaker 1: This is before or after you signed to the face.
Speaker 2: Right around all of the time. This all happened in like nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: So this whole time you're being an artist. Yes, you're steal in your development bag. You're like, all right, yeah, people know you for that? Well, are your people know you? For that my people.
Speaker 2: So Dallas grew up watching me from high school to being at the skating rink and the talent shows, so they know me from that. So even one part that I missed, like even with the hair, it was I went to school with in high school was Ta Bars and Rico wade Man and and who used to make the show tapes for the dance group I was in was Jamaine.
Speaker 3: As soon as you did this, yeah, you about to say your man who was years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the trade off used to work kind of vibe with JD back then while he was on the Fresh Festival Houdini.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So all y'all young Atlanta kids.
Speaker 2: And that's the nucleus, yeah, the music scene. So that's why I feel like, you know, and it's not about the flowers. It's more so about the understanding how things operate. Is when La and Babyface tapped into me, they tapped into Atlanta, Atlanta the source. Yeah, because I just gave it to him on a silver platter.
Speaker 3: Well, you're gonna get flowers here. You are to be celebrated because that's man amongst us as peers and comrades in this thing we have to do that for each other.
Speaker 1: Man, we have to celebrate each other.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, And what you've been a part of and what you've done is man.
Speaker 2: And all those guys used to show up and watch me perform because and it's so interesting because I think now a lot of times people are like, oh, you got to choose something very early, right, right, even if you look at sports now, I look at it with you know, with my son, he didn't play it.
Speaker 3: He just wants to hoop, and I'm like, you know, you can run track if you want to. You know you can play football, and you know you can rap or saying it right. But I think now people are so focused on just doing one thing instead of like, no, I'm mostly talented. I can do as many things as I want to, because like you said, you're you're an artist, you're signed, but you're still lending your hand absolutely and you're not being selfish with your talent and saying no, no, no, no, I can't go.
Speaker 1: I can't gonna give them some of the sauce.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I'll lend a little bit a bit of that confidence to pebbles in La because even in the midst of doing that being an artist. They asked me could I work with Pebbles on her presentation, So it was like not a you know, not a problem. Then I got a chance to put Pebbles a senior hall performance together, and then Pebbles actually let me wrap on a sen of your hall doing her performance. So she was providing a platform for me the whole time. Yeah, and she got it. She was like one of the early.
Speaker 1: Yeah Pebbles man, so she's to me.
Speaker 2: She set Atlanta off by believing, you know, and the younger talent because I think when I got there, I think La and Babyface all in Jermaine, Jamaine Jackson and a couple of other older guys that they legacy that they was probably trying to, you know, do businesses.
Speaker 3: When you got a new company too, you're you're trying to figure out how to connect names to it correct. It's tougher to say, oh, I'm just going to kick this off with new artists and just find new talent. Everybody wants to do that, but that's really expensive too.
Speaker 2: Well, Pebbles have the talent for that. So she was able to touch down on the ground and may always cause us Susander pass like.
Speaker 1: If you know sure she was that for the Atlanta scene.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, no, it's so many people that I've spoken to. Obviously we in Atlanta now, but just within our episodes that are just like pebbles.
Speaker 2: Absolutely you have to because she jumped this off. Wow, she saw the youth in Atlanta and and start putting it in place. So so I end up doing television shows, a videos. So that gave me the confidence to say, okay, well I can I can do other artists too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's when they started saying, well, let him do this, you know, bring him this, bring him that.
Speaker 1: So oh wow, you're supposed to be making your own album though.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But here's here's one of the early early artists that I developed that a lot of people don't know that he was even an artist. I developed Kevin Wells. He used to sing, so he was in a singing group. And I don't typically would dance behind an artist or do anything. I actually believed in Kevin enough to actually work with him and dance behind him because we just knew that, you know, we was in any talent show or any contest, we was gonna win, right, And you know that's how Kevin. This is before one twelve, This before any of the artists. ABC is me and him rock and I was spending time with him making sure he was up the park.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, So you got to tell me, though, are you focusing on your album at all while you're doing all because it seems like you're being pulled.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm in the company.
Speaker 2: No no. I was being creative, So then it really didn't matter. It all came with it. That's how I grew up. So it wasn't one particular thing. It wasn't just a record or a video or a live performance. I was always in this creative space. So I've been multitasking like this for my whole life. So that's even when you fast forward the story, how I was able to even go from zero to one hundred when I started my own production company and start putting my own artists out because I knew all the ins and outs.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we're gonna get there, Okay. I know how talented you are, and you've always been a star, you know what I mean, Like it's just in my opinion, you know what I mean, Like that's I'm like divine, seems a star like flat out. You know, I think, especially when you when you're in this business long enough, you're able to identify things respect no matter what position they're in. Right, It's like, you know, our brother, God rest his soul. Shaki Stewart, Yeah, my gosh, star. Yes he was on the business side. Shake was a star, absolutely out.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a great story about Shake.
Speaker 3: I'm sure too, and I do too, but some of them I ain't gonna telling me, right, But I say that to say, like seeing that in you and now having more of an understanding, like, Okay, he had this record deal and this whole thing, and in my mind, the first thing I think is he wanted to give his talents to other people more than he really wanted to focus on himself.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what it feels like to me.
Speaker 2: It turned into that, okay, because you know it didn't work out at La Face. I got discovered again by a guy by the name Sincere, and Sincere took me to Rick Brown, and Rick Brown took me to Sylvia Room.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I ended up doing it another deal.
Speaker 2: Another deal, and with you, Me and ninety Miles Prower broke up doing a little bit. And that story is just you know, how you took childhood friends and and and was separated. It was almost like having siblings and they separated at birth. That's what that moment felt like, being separated from them. But it was also a growing moment. I learned the business.
Speaker 1: Now you getting a little bit of money by this time, like is.
Speaker 2: He well, you know back then I was making money, But how I really started making money was based from boys to men. Came to me when and when I got dropped from the face. He said, yo, divine man. He said, you know what you're doing for us, you can do that for other artists, and you know they paying And I was like, oh really He was like yeah, He's like we're paying Brooke paying a lot of money. And I was like okay. So I didn't know what the pricing fee was. I didn't know what the charge because I was doing this because it was just a part of that community in the circle. If Dallas had something, you know, like even me developing Monica at twelve, he's gonna drop it off to me. I'm gonna give it back to him. And when I give it back, I give it to him back with direction or how to market it on how does it fit in the marketplace. It's not just working on an eight count or it's working on a whole lifestyle and developing a human. So same case in point with JD JD have something, He'll send me escape, send me Jagged Edge, send me the things that he had Recoway, same thing, send me out casts and me.
Speaker 3: So we just went so for you. It also didn't matter was genre of music now you were just it was purely about artists. It was not like okay, yeah you got an R and B group or you got an RB singer.
Speaker 2: It's like when you first start playing ball, you didn't really realize how much money you can make playing ball. You know, you're just doing it because you got a passion for it, right, And then we all in the sandbox together and we want to see each other win. So it was more like, yeah, I got you, I got you sending me I got I'm a knock it out and send it back to you. So even tricky when I directed Sam Salts video, I did so let you know, it's just a melting pot of young talent and I was to go to for the artist development.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned boys to men, So you were working with boys men super early then.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When they first when one year, father didn't even want to be in the group, told me you need to go to school yea, yeah, yeah. And I used to have to do one on one sessions with one yeah, because he can only come on certain days.
Speaker 1: He was the youngest one.
Speaker 2: He was the youngest one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: And then this around this time even and I got the call from Michael Bivens and when they put me on the phone with him, I think Vita Sparks was with them at the time and put me on the phone said, Mike, want to hollot you. So even at that moment, he was uncertain about what he wanted to look like because it was more like should they be like commissioned? Should they be like just a quartet for a guys standing there singing what can you do with this? And when I gave it back to him thirty years later, I just saw Motown Philly the same way it was when I did it in my garage.
Speaker 1: Wa wait, you did the choreography for Motown Philly?
Speaker 2: Yes, man, I did everything on the first album, and then after that point then it went over to Brook Brooke took over from there. But the thing about even Brook and big shout out to Brook because Brooke came back later. Brooke came back later and introduced me to a lady named Mary Joe Moa that worked at Motown, and then they gave me the whole roster. I had everything at Motown.
Speaker 1: Just developing all the artists there.
Speaker 2: Everything everything at the time that was on the roster. And then she left there and came to Atlanta and had UH and took on a job at Caper Records with Joe Katz and Don Perry, and that venture was through RCA, and then I started working on everything that she had there that was Black Girls, that was the Chronic, Chronic, Little Zane, a couple of other artists that was signed. So I had that whole roster. I had probably about five six rooms going at one time. So let's say, let's go back, say Darryl Simmons. While I was working with Darryl, Darrell had a deal at Electra. He had signed a girl group called the Dolls. You know them today as Destiny Child.
Speaker 1: We know them, not just I mean.
Speaker 2: We know them, that's Destiny Child. So yes, so that's how it kind of went. You know, it's like everybody had something, even when Babyface went off to Epic and Tracy started her thing. Yeah, yeah, I end up getting asked yet and the things that was actually on that label as well. So it's been a family.
Speaker 3: So how how did the you know, from a from an artist development space, how did the finances work? You know what I mean, because most people don't know that, right, And it's kind of a I hate to say it, but a lost art in the music business.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, it's it's definitely a lost art, but which it's very much needed. So here's the thing. As an artist, I go back. The reason I kind of stopped being a recording artist is because I was making so much money.
Speaker 3: Okay, and you know the show is called Yeah I'm trying to find Yeah, I had.
Speaker 2: Became a millionaire so quick, man, it was it would have made your head spind that once based from Boys to Men told me that they paid for it. And I met a I was working with Arrest Development and I met a lady. Her name was Jula Andrews, and she began to teach me the business. Okay, and my first lesson was she asked me how much did you charge an hour? And at the time, I was like, uh, say, I was just going to say forty an hour, right, and she was like, okay, okay, all right, forty an hour.
Speaker 1: So then she said, well I need an invoice, probably right right now, we've all been there.
Speaker 2: In an invoice. I said, oh, okay. So I went to office Max right, yeah, got an invoice book, filled out the information that was on there. Yeah, put the number on there, added my numbers up, how many hours? I hit the number at the bottom, put it in the envelope, slid in an invoice. She looked at it and she said, okay, I don't see no tax ID, I don't see no social Security number. I don't see a former address. And then what's this number right here? I said, no, this is my beeper. You could just beat me because I was still in the street. She said like yeah, she said, I said yeah, yeah, yeah, And then and so I handed to her and she said, well, unfortunately, I can't give you the check until this is filled out correctly. Now, mind, I just tore a page out of the in voice book.
Speaker 1: I'm following you something.
Speaker 2: So now I got to go back. Yeah, yeah, do it again. Hand it to her and I did it. I put the number on their She's seen it. She looked at it, and she wrote a check for more than what it was. She said, your service was incredible. She said, you're timing. You was never late. You was always on time. She said, I just want to commend you and you did a great job. Thank you.
Speaker 1: How old are you at this time?
Speaker 3: Round about had to be probably like nineteen wow your baby, yeah, about nineteen.
Speaker 2: So from that moment, I asked her whih to take a meeting with me? And she said sure. So we met. She started to teach me the business. She started doing the invoicing. She said, well, you know, I'm going to take five percent. I said, sure, go right ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So next thing, you know, probably in the course of six months, out of all these rooms going, I'm going, I'm going. I was up probably about five hundred thousand in six months. In six months, I took a meeting. This is crazy. I took a meeting with La and LA was like, yo, I think it's time you need to come inside. And I was like, okay, cool. So he said what's your number? I said five hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: I got about five.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So in my mind, I'm thinking, like, you know, business like, okay, you know, just just give me five hundred. You know, he's trying to pay me five hundred for a year and to be and to be exclusive. I'm only gonna be working full of face. So he said he couldn't get five hundred from corporate and none of his employees was making five hundred, right.
Speaker 1: They couldn't make it make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't understand that, and I said, so I declined the offer, okay, right, And then at that moment, I think he might have felt a little slighter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt a little slight because because because I think it felt like he put me in play, but I was already I was in play. I think I put him in play. So it was it was a you know, it was that back and forth thing, you know, disrespect. But I just felt like you just tapped in. I'm creating the sauce, you're making the record, but we're making it work.
Speaker 1: It goes hand in hand.
Speaker 2: So watch this. So business slows down at the face, but that picks up everywhere else.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: And now down tea boss, like, hold on, I can't even I can't do nothing without divine. Then Monica stood up, I need the vine. So they you know, they start standing up for me, you know what I mean. So then I said, okay. So then Tea bos said, why don't you just come over here. We got you. They gonna pay you. This is what we're looking for. So then I was able to still keep the Little Faced things going while I start working on other things. And right around this same time, Puffy is growing in New York and starting to and then loses his job and he started going back and forth with La and he started making trips to Atlanta. So he wanted to see what was going on in the soil. Right. So that same night we que or whatever was talking about there was an altercation in the club. And I'm upstairs kind of like doing the choreography, but I'm in the streets because when I lost the deal with a Little Face and I just started, I went back to the streets, right, So in the streets, I'm hanging back out with the fellas, goons, whatever. So I'm upstairs at Club one twelve and Kay Wells come upstairs, said, yo, man. He said, y'all, I got a problem downstairs. I said, oh, what's up? He said, man, my man from New York about to get into it with these people. So I come downstairs all with all my guys. We walked downstairs. The only thing you heard was bottles cracking and they getting ready to go at the guy that's talking in front of this other little dark skinned guy that I have never met. But Kate was like, that's my man, and I'm like, okay, so then we're going at this guy over here. Before we even got up to the guy, he.
Speaker 1: Said, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, hold up, hold up, hold on, wait wait wait, don't care, yo, who is this?
Speaker 2: Hoo these guys and Kev's like no, no, no, my people and my people, you got a problem, will straighten it. And this was puff Puff was telling them, dude like no, I don't want none of these problems. No, no, no, no, no, I got this. I got this. So even when I approached the situation, even the club security came with me because you know, I'm here, I'm here, I'm here, I'm here all the time. So Papa's like, yo, who is that in case? Say no to my people's man. He's And then later on they got to talk and he said, you know that's the guy that through tlc Usher and he said, are you serious? He said, yeah, yeah, So when can I meet him? So they made one, twelve and the whole nine whatever, So fast forward to start. He's like, y'all, I want to meet him. So he met me, and at that moment he was looking at me like, yo, he wanted it, like he wanted in on this Atlanta. He wanted in on what La Reed was tapping into. He wanted in on it too. So it was like so he came and got in and from that moment we I stopped rapping and put my whole thing on him, uh everything. That's when the development started for him. And this was right after Supercat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is after the him starting to figure if he's going to start being an artist too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got you, And he started being artists when he started right at that moment, right up the Third Eye, when he got the confidence. After he rapped on that song, we went into the next one. Biggie was still here, Craig Mac was still here, and.
Speaker 3: But you guys are developing and leading to him becoming an artist as well.
Speaker 2: And I just kind of met the same energy and the type of zone I was on, a type of artist where I felt like I can get it off and make sure because he understood, he understood the art of the development and all the components. So it was like it was an easy fix.
Speaker 1: You and k Wells take on twelve there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so K takes twelve there, and then I end up doing the only you videos. I started doing all the videos okay, and then from there even you know, even Biggie that turned into him. I'm even there to vibe night when Biggie dies. Are you fully I'm there the whole time part of the team. I'm there, I'm working on him, I'm developing him the whole time.
Speaker 1: Are you working on Biggie's project too?
Speaker 2: Working on that and working on puff Man?
Speaker 1: When you think you know some shit? Because I definitely didn't know that. Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I had known that you would work with puff I knew that you were, you know, developing artists with him and working with his label.
Speaker 1: But never like okay, because you don't think.
Speaker 3: Right, somebody's doing the rappers and you know what I mean, especially an artists like Biggie, He's like, okay, he's not your rapper.
Speaker 2: Guys. You see all the things Biggie was flashy We Yeah, Puff changed the whole direction of that absolutely. If you go back, like you know, the beginning juicy.
Speaker 1: On it was like car heart type stuff too.
Speaker 3: Now it's besides you now it's yeah, yeah that is wold bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that's why you know, when you say the artistry part, I just put it on whole.
Speaker 3: Is your mindset starting to get onto the executive side too?
Speaker 1: Yet?
Speaker 3: Are you really just focusing on the development still, because it just it seems like right now from the story you're telling me, it feels like higher gun.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. You're a mercenary right now.
Speaker 3: It's like, Okay, who do we need to get this artist to the next level?
Speaker 1: Right, divine Yes.
Speaker 2: So I'm in that. I'm in that space. But at the same time, my lady Lady drew the business partner. She's grooming me in business. Okay, So I'm learning as I'm going on the business side. So then I had the luxury of working with Teddy Riley early already my group of friends, right Eric Sermon, all of these people, all the producers. I'm on the inside, on the outside, And what Puff was doing. I started learning the business by sweeping floors, so to speak. While I'm developing, I'm learning. Even though he's paying me, I'm still learning, paying attention. So you think I graduated from the l M and Babyface to bad Boy, and then I worked my way all the way up to Arista. So then I got Clive's roster, Whitney, Houston, Colos, Sudan, Tanna, everything that was on his roster I got a chance to touch in developing.
Speaker 1: Are there certain key elements that you take and use with every artist? All right?
Speaker 3: No, it's every artist. You're fine tuning in a different way. Everybody's different.
Speaker 2: Everybody's you know, there's a certain thing that fits in the marketplace, but everybody's different. And what I try to do is, like Taylor, make your suit to fit you. Yeah, That's why I'm able to do an Escape and do a TLC and still turn around and do a Destiny Child, and none of it look alike, right, because each individual possessed a certain gift that I got to pull out and highlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you told me before we even you know, we were just just just in conversation.
Speaker 2: You're like, Jay, it took six years to develop us here. Yeah, it took six years you gotta think the first album with Puff with Puffy didn't work, did one with Dallas Austin that didn't work. Then he went off trying to do one on his own that didn't work. Then he finally met JD. So in the course of that time, that's money's being spent, things happening, and.
Speaker 1: You're working with him.
Speaker 2: I'm working with him when it was money, when I know money he was around me. I'm giving him money to go to the movies with him his girlfriend because I got ten sessions going on. And he was used to feel slighted. He used to be like, yo, man, you know, like a big brother type thing, like spending time with him. I don't have time for him, and I'm working on these artists. And so he felt some type of way when he was growing up that I wasn't with him as much as he liked. So even when you make me want to jumped off of him. With Jamaine, he had already did six years of structured discipline training understanding the business. In the same time his voice was changing, so he knew what hardship felt like, and he knew what it was like to be in a light and get accepted and rejected at the same time, and then he had a support team that supported him, like his mom and certain things that he could go to like Keith, people that was around him, that was consistent in his life, that held him up and helped him up to his truth. You know. So everything was a challenge. You know, it wasn't an easy for him. So even when you see him today, it's like he understands every song starts with a thought and an idea that he has to execute and he has to go to the same steps all over and over again to bring that art to life.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many people, especially on our show, mentioned him about his passion, about his focus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know how he locks in.
Speaker 2: He's like one of the best understudies, one of the best students of the game.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: And I would say, on the flip side, the hardest working person that understood the business and the game and put the work in double time would be puffed.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you see an artist, would you rather have the most talented or.
Speaker 1: The hardest working, hardest working?
Speaker 2: The hardest working, Yeah, talent is diamond, doesn't I mean you could be you can be American Idol top vocalist critically acclaimed. Yeah, and still can't sell records. Right, I've seen it. You can be number one on the Voice, you could be number one on American Idol, and you can skip the artist development and the an R process and you'll go absolutely nowhere. He'll just be famous.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: My dad always used to say practice makes perfect, right, Michael Jackson, Joe Jackson.
Speaker 1: It's a certain mindset of it.
Speaker 3: Do you think there is like a minimum that these artists should be doing? Like if you're if you're a new artist and you're talking to a new artist, a new artists talking to you, what would you tell them as as what it takes to perfect their craft?
Speaker 1: Like, like what is the.
Speaker 3: Minimum in your mind that like you got to practice this much every week or this What would be your advice to them?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not even free games, it's not even a matter of hours. It is a thing of where it becomes a lifestyle because it's nothing you can put on and take off. Yeah, it's something you have to wear all the time. And if you consistent with the work, then it becomes natural to you, and it becomes natural to you. Then when other people see it, it seems like it's obtainable. So that's when you connect. It's like step Curry, you know, like how can you come in and change the NBA without having a regiment right right, and then putting in the work. See what he did was with outwork everybody and people say was it's a secret. Well how did he get to this level of success? He outworked you who don't have the talent. They don't matter if you had the talent. He just outworked you. So he can exploit your talent. He can go right here. You can create a record, creat a beat. You're gonna sit on that record. You're gonna listen to that record one hundred times. The beauty that he had, you can have the whole hit man. Everybody here making records, all these companies offering them production deals, everybody got side deals and everything. The only thing y'all don't have is the hustle that he has. He gonna take that record and it's on Hot nine seven the next day while you're still listening to it. He's put it in motion. He done took that record and played it for twenty other people while you still sleep. He put it in motion. And that's what the game needs.
Speaker 1: And missing the hustle.
Speaker 2: Well, everything that you know they want to take away from our culture is the black exec Yeah, the lifestyle, the lifestyle, the culture. So I heard an interview when La was talking about there's no more us in the buildings. Yeah, well, a lot of us didn't start in a building. So we just got to get back to the art and the discipline of.
Speaker 1: What it takes to take over the building.
Speaker 2: To take over the building, we are the building.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't operate from a building. I didn't take a job. I became a multi making there without a job in a building. Yeah, just through the hustle and the creator. Yeah, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Now that it's amazing.
Speaker 3: And the way you broke it down is it's perfect in my eyes, of giving somebody the playbook of do the work, get to it.
Speaker 2: It's no quick way and it's no easy it's no cheat code. People think that, oh, well she cheated because she's sampled. Oh this person, she didn't know. They still put in the work, right, does a matter They went to work and if they still here today, they understood that that takes a certain kind of work ethic to stay in this game. And right now, the problem I have with the new kids today. I mean, true talent will always rise, but at the same time, quick fame mm hmm. I've seen that happen in this business where you inquire all these things from quick fame and crash and burn. That's why so many suicides, so much mental a lot of mental health, because people are watching other people's success. It's not really putting in the work, and they're actually you can strike, you can get a spike off social media, and you can think that that's where you should be. That you'll see like, let me give you an example of something. So you'll see an artist go, they like this post.
Speaker 1: I know you're going, right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But you don't know why they like that post. Okay, well you just made an ass of yourself. They love it. On this side of it, here you grinding and you didn't make an ass of yourself, and you got the talent, but you're not getting many likes long right, so you thinking this is not working.
Speaker 1: You got to make an ass of myself.
Speaker 2: I got to make an ass out of myself. So then you turn around make an ass out of yourself and they like it, and then I turn around and go, why do you feel better ass and then you'll look at me like, what are you talking about? I know they like this post, let me do more of these, and I go and this is no disrespect. I seen one of the artists do one of the biggest songs and it came out and when it as soon as it hit, I said, oh, that's the wrong song for him. And that was the thong song.
Speaker 1: For Cisco incredibly talented artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Verry, And I said, that's off brand. Yeah, hmm hmm. That's off and it's going and it's going and it's going and it's going. And I said, damn, Now he's suspended mid air. Do you got another thong song in him? Is there another record in that space in that atmosphere? It didn't have one because he's very soulful kid, right, Okay, up there, you suspend the mid air. It's no soul up there, So now how do you go from there back to this base? Could never find his way from the thumb song. I'm not saying he ain't. He's one of the greatest performers, yeah, but he couldn't find his way back. The song took him out, And for me, I would have said, that's a great song, but they don't.
Speaker 1: Fit you, and it's not many people that do that.
Speaker 2: I would have said the same thing too, and there's no disrespect here. I would have said the same thing to Ralph Tresvant. I love sensitivity, but I don't think no woman want to say that out loud, that they want a man with sensitivity. They won't. Bobby Brown, I don't give.
Speaker 1: A fuck, right, it's my progative.
Speaker 2: It's my parrogative. Wanted a bad boy boom takes off. Yeah, I know Ralph is the voice and the energy of no addition, But I still think.
Speaker 1: That particular record from a solo standpoint.
Speaker 2: Slowed down the solo process because even Michael Jackson, I'm bad, Even Michael Jackson, Billy Jeanie, that ain't mine, right, you know what I'm saying. So, you know, sometimes you got to know how to navigate through the space. Sometimes it's just not a good song. Sometimes it's your brand. Sometimes that's certain things of off brand, and it's just the way I kind of put it together in the way I think about it.
Speaker 3: There's a certain bravado from male artists that the public wants, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I've seen it with female artists too. And I've seen where some people when they come in and they tie relationships in and you know, they expose, you know, they want to show you who they are, and then the consumer don't buy into it. We still live in a very magical.
Speaker 1: Space, yes, and what we do is magic, right.
Speaker 2: People still love magic and you got to know how to create it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So in creating it and now learning the business, yes, as you've been doing. At this point of your journey, when do you say to yourself it's time for upfront, It's time, it's time to start this.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think when I work, I think, I think when I worked my way all the way up to Clive Davis and big shout out to Melinda Dancer and Monica for setting that meeting up. And I get there with Clive and this was like, this was the eye opener I'm playing in my music now. I made my music in my basement studio on a basement. This is my upfront moment.
Speaker 3: But this is also Atlanta, so I'm sure that basement is expansive and it's I mean, I'm.
Speaker 2: In I'm in a million dollars, I'm in a million dollar crib in the Fourth War So I'm standing in the unclayed and it's and it's and it's like it's fly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's in the middle of it's in the middle of the hood. It's at the regular basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on Boulevard and in the middle of the hood with a million dollar house and and I'm making music, right, So I take this music and I play it for Clive and then this batch of music, you know, it's very artists and Cloud listened and then he turned around and asked me, and then he wanted to play me some music. And then he started playing me all the music that he.
Speaker 1: Had and I'm listening and the quality of it.
Speaker 2: This was made at the Hit Factory, so sonically, he just out beat me in the meeting. And I'm sitting there like, wow, this is incredible. And at this moment, I'm thinking he's about to give me a production deal. Right. I come from the face, I come from bad boy, I come from rowdy Boom, I'm next.
Speaker 3: Up baby, Yeah, yeah, for sure, he shot me down. Okay, Boom, did you give one of those letters? Not those letters though, because you know, have you heard about those?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I get the letter?
Speaker 3: Yea letter when he would turn down songs back in the day, like probably before our time, even because then O G showed me one he would he would handwrite a letter to you.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I didn't get not wanting to. I didn't even get by you. I didn't even get you. I didn't get that.
Speaker 2: What he said was he asked me, do I mind helping him with his talent? So then I end up picking up work, but as a production company, No, he said. I didn't have anything better than what he was playing. So I said, okay, great, all right, cool, So boom.
Speaker 1: Are you discouraged?
Speaker 2: Oh I'm in pieces. I'm shocking. So it's like a Spike Lee movie for me. I'm moving like this now in the streets.
Speaker 1: Of New York, the buildings, the movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm floating. So I'm like, man, how do I go back home and tell all the artists that's in the basement.
Speaker 1: Ah, now in.
Speaker 2: The basement is akon in the basement ship it's future in the basement. I have countless of artists that's depending on me. Yeah, and producers and writers to go back and say it didn't work. Yeah, And I never really said it didn't work. I said, guys, let's switch this up. Give me this, give me this, give me this. Because now I've been in all these rooms, I know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So I went and tuned it, fine tuning I want. I fixed it. Never discouraging the artists, I just start asking for different things, and over a course of time, I start getting it. And then I realized I was ready to play. So then I went. Then I went to other companies and I got rejected. Probably. I mean, I went to a lot of record execs, man.
Speaker 3: And everybody's turning your deal down. Everybody wants to give you a production label deal, anything of the sort now.
Speaker 1: But they're still hiring you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they still hired me to do their talent, but they're not giving me a production deal.
Speaker 3: Okay, so are you questioning like in for transparency? Are each question like maybe I don't. I started thinking that I don't know about what I got. No, not that I didn't have it. I felt like outside of timing, they didn't get it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I wasn't really discouraged. And you know, I felt like if it was easy and if what I was doing was common, everybody would be doing it correct. I felt like it was different and at the time when I came through with the music, even shopping Acon, it wasn't your norm. People didn't understand what it was. If I showed you a photo of what he looked like and then I played the music, you didn' quite didn't understand the tone, didn't understand the look. I say, he's African. That wasn't even a thing, you know what I mean, just like the first African African American to break in the US. So I'm doing something totally left from what they're accustomed to doing, and I felt like it was unique. But one thing about it, I said to myself, I said, once this pop, it's gonna go. It's gonna go all the way. It's gonna be international. And that kept me going more so than the nose. There was more so my belief. And then plus I have done so many artists that I kind of had the hot head in terms of, oh what I'm doing gonna work. You just don't get it. Give me a second, I'll be back. So then I went on my own, pressing up cdsake the Independence I mean records. Yeah, I did the whole I did the whole Independent, I mean, I bought a conversion van.
Speaker 1: I've been there wrapped the van.
Speaker 2: Yeah, street teams up and down the highway, taking a com music at a different places. It was funny story because I was actually doing Mary's tour and I used to go to the after parties and I would have them play Acon's music at Mary and say, hey, man, can you play this? Yeah, So even at all the clubs, so everywhere I went, I was working on another artist. I was asking to utilizing your network right to play to play the music. While I'm doing that, I got to kind of frustrated why people ain't really get it right. I was kind of like, man, this is crazy. So I called the friend up. I called Bernard Alexander. Ah, yeah, yeah, my god. I called Bernard. I said, oh, Bernard, check this out. I need you to come to the house. So Bernard came to the house, Men Bernard. Before we even got all the way into it, we went to church. So men Bernard went to church uh with my mom and spent the night. And then I played him what I had. I played him Acons music and then I played in this song called Lonely and he said stop, stop, stop, stop, stop right there and stop right there. He said, give me that give me, give it to me, and he said, give me, give me a few days. I'm gonna come back. I got you, I got you. He said, we get to this song right here. It's out of here. In my mind, I was like, all right, bet if you got something, let me know. But in the midst of that, let me go back. Because I did get a production deal. I missed this one piece that I cannot miss. I had one guy to believe in me early on, before the records even popped, before I even did that, and it was Hiram Hicks shout out. So I had I was working on Kelly Price, Drew Hill, Mona Li some other things that he have signed, and he was at Island Death time and he gave me a three act situation. But he gave it to me right on the end of what it was, making a shift. I think at this time, Kevin Lyles and le Or was coming. Yeah, so at that moment he stepped down. They came in and if I can recall taking a meeting.
Speaker 1: With Kevin, it was it was just it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Uh, it was crazy. It was crazy. Tina and Tina Davis was sitting there, you know, she was having a meeting, and she she was talking to me. I was playing the music. Kevin was on the phone. It's the meeting with Kevin. So Kevin is talking on the phone. Every time the phone and he goes Tina looking at me like this. She said, one second, divine. One second. She's trying to be nice. She said, one second, divine. So I'm probably on the third or fourth song. Kevin's on the phone, and the meeting is for Kevin. But I came in the door with hire them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So by the time it got to and I'm playing Acon, I'm playing Acon, I'm playing a couple of artist artists I have signed Cha Cha, I'm playing this music and I stopped it myself. I said ten, excuse me, I stopped it. I got the CD, grabbed my bag. He on the phone, and I'm getting ready to walk out, and Tina was like, divine, just wait a second. I said, no, no, no, it's not a problem. It's not a problem. I said, this is cool. She said no, no, no, no, just wait a second. He'll be off in a second.
Speaker 1: I said, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: I call you. Got up when I'm and when I got to the door, he looked up and he's like, yo, yo, yo. He said, divine you ever you ever you ever thought about working inside? I said, no, sir, nah, I never thought about it. All right, all right, I said no, no, no, it's not It's cool. We'll talk. We'll talk in a minute, we'll talk. Thank you, thank you for your time, sir, and I walked out, and then fast forward back at home creating. Then that's when Bernard came. Bernard took the music to Barry Hankinson. Okay, so Barry wanted to do the deal. And then he said, I got this other play. And I don't know how it happened. I know him and Kenny Burns go back and forth about who who took it to Steve Rifkin, but I know Bernard had it. And Bernard went into Rifkin's office played in the music, and Rifkin wanted to meet Akon wanted to do the deal. But when he came to Atlanta, came to my house, the million dollar house in the hood, and he saw Usher there, he saw Eric Sermon there, he saw Candy and tiny downstairs writing met Acon.
Speaker 1: So he's like, yo, what is this factory going on?
Speaker 2: Like what is this and then then I said, no, no, man, let's go we're talking business. I said, let's go play basketball. So I walked him through the hood and fourth Ward basketball court. Everybody takes off running because they thought I came to the hood with white boys. Thought they were the Feds. I thought they were the police. You got Steve Rifkin with you. I got Rifkin with me. We got to I'm taking and go play ball. We're going down here to talk. So we do that, and then I still wasn't all the way sold on doing a deal with Rifkin. I had to go make one stop. I had to go back to hire them, and I took Rifkin up to hire them and then hire them green lighted it. And then that's what made me take the deal because Hiram is the one who gave me the money to bail a coon out of jail the second time. Yeah, I paid for the first one and the second. Yeah, they gave me the money for the second one.
Speaker 3: So, connecting of episodes, DJ More Milly, DJ Okay Jimmy's nephew. Yeah yeah. So he says he had Polo he got yeah, and Polo wanted to do the deal.
Speaker 1: Also so I just go.
Speaker 2: I discovered Polo and it was sixteen been around me since then.
Speaker 1: So because I guess was singing hook hooks.
Speaker 2: So how we even was working. There was Billy I forget Billy last name, and he'll kill me for this. I gave Billy a CD with nothing but hooks on it with Acon because we were trying to figure out how to get these songs out, and then we was like, if we give it to some rappers, give it to certain people that just thought the verse on it, and give it back or put it out. So that's how we began to use other marketing strategies to get Acon's boys out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's how you end up on the rich boys stuff. Right. But but in.
Speaker 2: That group of people's Polo still producing. Yes, right, So Polo had the CD and was shopping it too, right, and wasn't getting a bite, so he didn't come back to me with anything. So I was like, okay, boo. The only person came back was.
Speaker 1: Riff because he brought Rifkin. He brought Rifkin. Was it immediate for Rifkin? Was he like I get it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean he came down right away, you know. Bernard called and he was like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And how long had you been working with KHN before this?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, it's probably about ten years prior to that.
Speaker 1: He waited ten years. Yeah. I moved him in my home and he kept going to jail. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, so what happened is we kept going to jail when he wasn't in my home.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, so.
Speaker 2: What made me move in my home? I think I was at a tribe called Quest concert and I came outside and my security was like, akon, want to holler at you now. The whole time, I'm thinking he's still in jail because the third time I left him in there, I didn't even go back. Mother, everybody pissed off. I didn't even I just like, he gonna have to set that out right. So I'm walking outside the concert and security said some you know the kid, Hey, come on to hollt you. I'm like, yo, where is that. He's across the street. I look across the street. He's like yo yo D yo D and I'm like so he walks over.
Speaker 1: He said, yo, man, I just want to tell you man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I apologize, you know. He apologized and everything. I was like, yeah, yeah, it's all good, man, I said, I tell you what, Man, you got my number right, just just call me. Because you got to think how I met him. I met him through Little Zane, so I didn't discover him. What you met a khan through lil Zane, Through little Zaye. Litle Zane brought him to me. Okay, So at this at my rehearsal at my studio rehearsal hall. In order for me to hear him, they got crafty and rented the space out so I can hear it. And you know, for a minute, I was just walking past the rooms. I never went in the room, and what he saw was pink coming out of the studio. He's seen all these artists coming, so he was like, I want to be in there. So Zaye was like, yo, you got to just meet my man.
Speaker 1: So he brought him.
Speaker 2: I heard it, and the only thing I thought about when I first heard it, when I heard the tone the pitch of his voice, I said, that's it. That's it right there, Yeah, that's it. And then but I still in budge on it, so they come would keep coming back. But then he started asking me business questions and he had did a deal with famous music publishing and did I yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So he had did a deal and he asked me about the deal and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yeah, yeah, yeah. So he told me how much money it was. And back then, you know, he was really on this car thing heavy, right. So he had a car think it might have been a Corolla, and he had flags on it, rim on it, like you, I mean a Corona, Corolla, Corolla something like that.
Speaker 1: With flags and rims on it, flags.
Speaker 2: Rims, the whole none. I'm like, yo, what is this money? So he ended up and I said, yo, man, check us out. Don't spend all your money. Don't spend all your money on this man investing yourself. And I said, you're a producer, you're a writer, you know, a singer. Yeah, And at the time he wasn't really he was trying to sing. He had just got dropped from Electra and being him both was there at the same time. So I said to him, I said, listen, I'm just giving him game, giving him game about the business. And he just kept coming back, kept coming back, and then I said, you know what, man, I'll tell you what. Let's lock in and let's do this. I got you, and then we locked in and just giving him game, but the music wasn't quite there. He was part of the refugee camp with wy Cleft. Okay, so he used to run back and forth, you know, in the Book of Basement. So Fuji comes out boom, and I'm thinking, like, man, that sounded like what we're doing. Takes off. He's like, nah, man, why Clefts gonna do this? Why Clef's gonna do that? And I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, okay, it never happened, you know what I'm saying. So one day we at the Source Awards. We're sitting there. He's like, man, why Clef gonna pull me up on stage? Watch this? Watch this. We're sitting there and I'm with shake, I'm with secure and uh man shake, we tripping. Little John eats all of you know they have in a moment. And I was the creative director of a Source that year, so I'm standing on the side and why Cleft do this big number? Then call him up? He destroyed. I was like, man, I'm looked at him. I said, man, don't worry about it. Nobody wanted to take a picture, you know, no interviews, no nothing, I said, Man, don't worry about the next year. Man, you're going you'll be up there. You're gonna kill it. He looked at me, he said for real. I said, yeah, next year, you'll be up there and little and behold, next year he was up there. But very next year, the very next year, I'll show your clip of him performing at the Source Awards Standing Ovation. And from those moments going into that doing a deal with Rifkin. Still they promised me up front megatainment situation, but they only gave me a deal for Acon. Now in this deal, you still I got another group called FA and Future is in that group, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said he was.
Speaker 3: He was in the basement, okright in the deal. Yes, so amazing that it's just in this deal as well. Yeah, you get a deal for them too.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So then I had an outside studios called RETZ one where all the dudes in the hood. I just let her run through that studio. So that's why the street dudes being over there and at Red Swan. But how it flipped was more so when Akon came out. It came out with belly Dancer, right, and the whole time I'm like, yo, what's this man? You know you know, we we shot the video, did every you know whatever, and I kept saying they wanted to recoup whatever money they gave us, and just so you know, the album. What they gave me for an album was two twenty.
Speaker 1: Five to make the first album.
Speaker 2: First album, and it was fourteen points. That's what we.
Speaker 1: Started with split amongst Yeah, that was the.
Speaker 2: Production company, the artists, and I probably was already one hundred thousand in out of my my pocket. So doing that deal turned around. I'm trying to find a fast forward and slow it down at the same time. So doing that deal at the time wasn't an idea. Deals more about the opportunity on what I really believed in, because I could have easily went with Barry. Barry had more money, and and I could have also waited because I wasn't really stressed for money. I just really wanted to get going. I wanted to get it going, but I only wanted to get it going because of what was promised.
Speaker 1: Ah got you, got you, got.
Speaker 2: You, Okay, So belly Dancers come out. I look at the CD, I look at everything, Boom boom boom, snow upfront on anything, everything set src.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna tell you my first RAMDMA when I learned the business the hard way, right at this moment, that moment that I was waiting on now, mind you, prior to all this, I pressed up final I pressed up CDs. So in my house, I have all of this with upfront on it front. It okay, but they have the machine. So it's start seeing everything. Man, I'm like going places, I'm looking, I'm listening. Man, my name ain't nowhere like man. Then they start blocking it where they say it ain't no budget where we couldn't travel together because it ain't no budget, so I would have to pay for my own flights if I want to be there. So you start seeing the separation. And I told him, I said, look, man, I've been doing this for ten years. Man, I'll tell you what you go ahead, you go ahead and fly. I got this. I hold this down while you do that. He said, I bet. I said, I don't need to hold your hand, nigga. If you've been with me for last ten years ago, you're like nah, yeah. So he kind of reluctant about going and not me not being there, but at the end of the day, wasn't going to pay for me to be there, so and I was sudden there saying I ain't need to sit with you to do this, and plus there was a lot of disrespect in terms of not including me. So I said to myself, while they do this, I'm going to press up this record. So I press up locked up. I knew because I realized they was going in the wrong direction anyway, I said the belly Dance record. They were saying they just trying to get their money back. I said, it's too soon for the record. But at this point they're not listening. So I got the version that styles P is not even on that I'm working in the street.
Speaker 1: And that's okay. So that's it's just this record is just con just con version.
Speaker 2: On this version. That's the same record I'm playing in the clubs when I'm on tour with me. So as I'm playing the records, I'm doing my part. Then I see them doing their part. And then the an R is like, yo, let's put somebody on the record. So the n R guy, his name is nobody, he went and got styles P. Put styles P on the record. They reshipped the record. Still not on the record.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, right.
Speaker 2: The record goes out boom record catch.
Speaker 1: But no upfront on the record at all.
Speaker 2: No upfront nowhere now and what they not understanding creatively how the record was even created, which could have caused a pause if I wanted to cause the pause. So out of that group of guys that I tell you was how a whole bunch of guys and making records or whatever they come was in the studio at that time, may have had about twenty other guys in the studio, writers, producers, rappers. So that song was inspired by another group that I had, and they had a song called Lockdown in the Pin, how Let Your Boy? So that's how it was a jail song, okay, right, And the song went, now I'm locked down in the pin, nigga, how let your boy? How let your boy? Y'all on the outside looking in, nigga, I'll let your boy. So it was a whole jail thing. And I was like, hey, can you need to hop on us? So Akon took it and flipped it. I said, they're trying to find no more whatever. I was like, oh now, So then that whole campaign around it. So technically, while they're making that move doing that, I already know what, the records inspired by I could have stopped the record, could have stopped your whole motion. These kids could have even soothed if they wanted to, because we just took the idea you got it. But because they with me and they believe in that, I got this upfront situation that they next lo and behold. Whole time. Bernard is still in my ear. He said, if you can just get to that Lonely record, he'll be fine, because that's what.
Speaker 1: He's been telling you from the beginning. You got it.
Speaker 2: You got to get to Lonely. That's what you just get the Lonely. So they put out Ghetto did okay. Meanwhile, while they're doing that, that CD is circulating with acon hooks on them. So and in the batch of that CD is I want to Love you the rich Boy. Like it's a whole lot of hooks flying right. So Lonely comes. I pop back on the scene finally for singers, Yeah, I'm in a video the whole night, like I pop back up like he yeah, I pay for everyone to get there or whatever. But gonna his was going to blow you away. So why while that's happening and the Lonely record is coming. I'm telling Acon, like, yo, man, how these people just gonna disrespect the situation? They already knew what it was.
Speaker 1: He was like, yeah, man, but don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: When you get the Lonely, I'll tell you what, because we had this plan when you get the Lonely, When you get the Lonely, you just come in. Man. I was like, I bet now he told me I can come in, But now he's telling me just get the way to this record. And then and then I really discovered. I called the attorney and I say, look, man, they keep leaving me out of everything. I'm not on this, I'm not on that. Why is it a problem. And then I realized that the attorney was Rifkin's attorney attorney. It's Kenny Mersalis. Oh oh shit. Kenny was like, yo, Rifkin, why don't you fix whatever? Whatever? Okay, Boom deluxe, whatever came. Yeah, they put it on there, but they put it in they put it in a little civil font where you could barely see it, but it's on there. Oh yeah, fixed, we fixed it. So now I'm realizing I got the same attorney. So in terms of my renegotiation and negotiation. I had to make a switch, but Kenny set me up right. I left from there, still waiting on this lonely thing. Lonely came, Wow, I need to go in and have a talk. I took a meeting with Melo, went to Smellow, went to Doug Marris running point at Universal. Melo went to didn't even know I existed. He didn't even know acme was scientist production coming right direct. I mean, it's too low talking about and it wasn't introduced properly, so it was all that.
Speaker 1: It was all rifkin. So I said, cool to meet you.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, they didn't promised ak on everything, like did you own studio? We're gonna set you up like everything that I had. A coon wanted it, all the artists and the studio to set up. So this is how he was groomed. So he want what he saw. You know, if you got them, you know, we get them ja's, He want them ja's. You know, it's like he want what he saw. So I wasn't mad at that they offered him that. So then he came to me and asked me could I co sign for him to do this? I said, yeah, once they give me what they promised. And then I realized another business part of it that Akon couldn't sign that agreement without my signature because technically he was because he was signed to a production company and they said exclusive. So boom, he's asking me to sign this. I said, Man, I'm not sign than that. I'm not I'm not signing. They gotta figure this out, man, they got to make this right. He's screaming. So now he starts to we start to see the divide and conquer happen. Like he's screaming top of his lungs. Did I go back have a conversation with my godfather and I said, look, man, this is what's going on. He said, okay, well let's have a meeting and that's what we're going to do. So that's what I shift is shift. Hey, cong what if I tell you I got a better situation for you that believes in producers and songwriters because you're a producer and a songwriter, you more than just you make hits. Yes, he says, oh d man, I mean I mean whatever, do whatever you think said?
Speaker 1: You did tell me I can come in. So since you're telling me to come in, this.
Speaker 2: The move I got how about if I just take you across the street. I don't think Doug would be mad. We're just gonna We're gonna switch Wardens. He says, okay, take you to Jimmy Ivan. He looked at me, says, no way. You don't know Jimmy. You can't get to Jimmy. I said, are you cool, I'll make the play. He said, yeah, run the play. I said, now only that, let's look at Universal ROSSIP. At the time they had Nelly Lil Wayne was bubbling a little bit, trying to figure out what the next move. The Hot Boys broke up, you know, they was trying to figure out what was next. Want nothing really major at Universal at the time, so a Kon had leverage. So I move it to Endoscope and Jimmy welcome them with open arms. At the same time they're ushering in Tubby. So Tubby became the an R for the company. So I switched it from Convict Music because it had people that have tied him and I'm not to con Live distribution, and that's who did the deal with Jimmy with me as the manager running point on the business.
Speaker 3: So now it's no longer a production deal. You've moved over to the management side.
Speaker 2: Yep, I moved over to management. Production is still at Universal. Hey, gotcha con deals now as a label head?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Andoscope?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So now ripkin heat it pissed.
Speaker 2: Ah, I'm building and I did this. I spent my and how are you gonna take Crushret? Well, we're in the same boat. I spent more money than you. I spent way more money before we even got to this point, before even I met you. I've spent money. These relationships are already done. So it wasn't honorable. So I said, not a problem. Got to Jimmy. Doug ain't gonna be mad because we're getting ready. We're gonna make Dugs some money too. I mean, we're gonna keep making duck. We get to Jimmy and I tell Conn. I said, here's what we gotta do to crack the code in this building. We're gonna look at the roster of everything that Jimmy has that he's in debt with, and we're gonna furnish them. So we took on brick and lace. Nobody know who it was. They have put Ron Ferns in place. So we went to Ron checked out his roster, tapped into that where he was struggling. Swiss Beasts had a deal there he was struggling. He had signed Bone Thugs and Harmony. I think the last hit they had is the one I gave them that we gave them Swiss Bone Thugs and Harmony was signed the Swiss. Pharrell was working on gwen Stefani. We came in and gave Gwynn Sweet Escape. Moved over. We said, okay, Jimmy struggling with the pussy Cat Dolls. Hmmm, let's give Jimmy something with the pussy Cat Dolls. But before that, we gotta make our rounds because I'm still working on a CON's album. Right. We want Eminem, but we got to make a play. Let's go do Obie Trice. Yeah, So I'm gonna show you the strategy. There's a mind behind a business strategy behind the talent that people don't honor, and these business moves what set the talent up wasn't just the talent. So we knock got Obi trace the whole time. Now Eminem goes in and give a con smack that. Now, how are we going to get this cleared? We got to go get doctor Dre. So then we do cush with Doctor Dre. Then we turn around and do he had a rap artist by the name of Hayes. We do Hayes had a couple more things that he had, So then we furnished.
Speaker 1: Doctor Dre and buildship.
Speaker 2: Right now we're presenting our own talent. Now that we covered the bases on. We came here to work together.
Speaker 1: Right right right right, we're an asset.
Speaker 2: We step up to bat with Kobe o'donna's.
Speaker 1: Shout out to cove Man. Because I have.
Speaker 2: A indie background of how to work a record from the ground up. We started Kobe's record.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: We did Ray Lavender first. Oh yeah, girl got a girlfriend, Ye dope record. Yeah, So then we worked that record from the street. So then we came with Kobe and then we came with Cardonell Official. Right so now we're just kind of working our way and then we signed rock City.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now we have.
Speaker 2: A roster about eight artists. Acon can't even believe it, Like what is like hot?
Speaker 1: Did no? No?
Speaker 2: No? The only thing I need you to do.
Speaker 1: Let's keep working, be great. You can stay in the studio, stay creative.
Speaker 2: We got this. Things are moving. Everything that's in Jimmy Building. Yeah, I'm taking it and putting it on Acon's album.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, now you get all your features. Now you get.
Speaker 2: Features, the whole nine. And I'm collaborating with the other artists, so they're coming.
Speaker 1: Out right, So it's not one sided. Right.
Speaker 2: So while all this is happening, there's a business model happening. And we keep putting out these records and putting out these urban records, and we'll catch the first one, second one of flop, go to the next one. Catch the first one. We'll work the first one independent, the second one flop. We'll catch Cardinal Dangerous, then the second one flop. Kobe had dunnas just dance is his right? Yeah, yeah, so Ray, even Ray Lavender, even when we got the Tank records stay, it didn't go as far as we wanted it to go. So but I'm working and working like damn, something's off, and at the same time, but this is going on, I'm getting extorted. So the extortion was coming from Yeah, it was coming. It was heavy, it was thick, it was coming from so many different areas. So I said to myself, hmmm, we got switched this up, because now I ran up a bill. They ran me up a six million dollar tab and scu I seen the play. I seen it clear as day, and I said, what's going to happen? And we're going to get a call from ran Hoffman and he's just gonna say no more.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: So I said, before we get to that point, let's switch this up. Everybody go pop because I realized we had a problem with the Urban staff. So from the Gwen stuff Funny Escape record, a kind of goes on tour with Gwen, we come in and and at that moment, that's that was happened for real because for executive producer of that project, and that's the only record popped off that project. So we had all the bases covered. And then we went in to work on the Pussycat Dolls and we zoned in on a producer by the name of Red One, right, so it was getting the business with a Red One go in the studio to work on the Pussycat Dolls. We needed somebody to demo the songs, right, so read new artist that was on Death Jam, but I think she had just got dropped from Death Jam and was working on a new deal and moved her over to Eno scope. But she was in the studio and I walked in Record Plant while at working on the Pussycat Dolls, and I hear the songs. I go, yo, who is singing that? And a concess girl right there, she's sitting she's sitting down on the floor. She kind of lives, had fishnet stockings with holes in them, with Doc Martin's hair of mess. And he said she's singing it. I said wow. And immediately when I looked at her, I said, she's a star. It's Lady Gaga. And I said, ain't no way in the hell we're giving these songs to the pussy Cat Dogs.
Speaker 1: Nowhere.
Speaker 2: Now, it's impossible. So call set up a meeting. We march Red One in Jimmy's office and we played the songs. We introduced Red One to Jimmy played the song. Jimmy like, oh, oh, this is great, and the whole time he think the pusgether dogs and Nicole is out of here. You know that's what you're thinking. As soon as it stopped, I said, Jimmy, it so only one problem, man, So only one problem. He said, who is this singing it? I said, already by the name of Lady Gaga. I said, but you know, she signed here. She's here with Vincent Herbert and he was like yeah, I said, Jimmy, is just one problem though. We would like to keep these songs on her. Mm hm oh really, Jimmy, she's a star. You need to meet her.
Speaker 1: She signed there, she is there already. He has not met her.
Speaker 2: He don't really know it like that, okay, all right? He annoy it because she was doing cabaret music, jazz music, music game. It wasn't there yet. So first thing I thought, Oh, this is the next share, this is next Madonna.
Speaker 1: We got it.
Speaker 2: We got it. And at the time, Vincent is on the on the bench, Troy Carter on his way out. I think he had just got fired from EVE and he was on his way moving to Atlanta, and I was helping him look for a house, and we said, hold on a second. Jimmy says, y'all believe in it that much? All right, let's do a deal. So we did a three album deal with Jimmy. We partner with him to do Lady God Got And they're like, what about Vince, Oh, I don't worry about Vince. Will you worried about Visceda? We're not worry about this. We will make Vince Gonna. I'm so, I said, okay, back boom paperwork. Meanwhile, Rifking heated there's a artist that they working on that Doug Marris signed. Her name was Tammy Chen.
Speaker 1: I'm pay for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Tammy Chen going back and forth with Sylvia and Riffkin. You know, I think Sylvia had it first, and then Doug thinks Riffing got a hot handle because of Akon, So maybe Akon can do some record, so switch it over to Rifkin. But the whole time, Doug not Doug don't even know me. He not knowing that it ain't a Riffking play. It ain't a Sylvia play. It's if you talk to me, I'm going to deliver it. I never got the call. So a Kon John On Just Dance got Go's first single, and so that wasn't Kobe's first single. No, No, that's Kobe. That's Kobe singing a cons verse.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, because I know Kobe's on the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you singing a cons verse. We just told Kobe because.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't clear, because the wouldn't clear.
Speaker 2: How you're not gonna clear a kN on his on his own artists. Yeah right, So somehow they tell Vincent that I wouldn't clear it, so to create this thing between me and Vince, and now Vince is thinking, oh the vinest no hate, so no I hate, man, How are we gonna clear all these I'm a clear Obie Trice, how I'm a clear song on own Thugs and Harmony. I'm gonna clear all these songs.
Speaker 1: I had a vested interest in got it was, yeah, we get this.
Speaker 2: We've got three albums with this. Why wouldn't I clear this? So needless to say, we had the herb and throw Kobe on the record because so then we went to twenty markets promoting go Go.
Speaker 1: To just Dance record and then it popped here and now we're in the big box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they never talk about those parts. They just talk about They don't talk about if it wasn't for the sound sonically.
Speaker 1: No A.
Speaker 3: Kon Akon was one of the hottest producers in the game at that point.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely between him and T Pain, and the ultimate goal was.
Speaker 1: In T Pain. Yeah, same family for y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, See, the ultimate goal was to cover the hip hop R and B sector. Then to cover the international sector and then cover the global sector. And we had that within the big three. So my big three was Ga, Ga, Acon and T Pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and before I can wrap that and give it a hug, they can't, man and just dismantled it and pushed me out of the way.
Speaker 1: And why do you think that was?
Speaker 2: I call it a kid because they do it to all of us. Just hit me with the kid. That's all. Anybody's having that much success, everybody want.
Speaker 3: In right, how do you maintain it all? If you look back at it now and you're giving that advice to a young executive who wants to be a Barry Gordy wants to be a divine Stevens wants to be a baby and slim, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: How do you keep it under one roof?
Speaker 2: It's all about the team. It's all about the team, and it's all about the development. It goes back to that. It goes back to your level of understanding about the game, you know, and it goes back to educating artists about the business because they can't get to a certain point where they is surprised about business and they think and they just want a lottery So what that means is if I educate about how the game goes, when you finally touch some money, you'll know how to utilize your bunds it. And then once you get to that point, do you know how to make better business decisions? You don't have to tear down a mansion to build a hood home. And they kind of put us in that same circle. Yeah, you know, as production companies. And that's the reason why the black exec and the creator and the an R is extinct. So I don't take it like I was targeted. I just feel like this is it comes with the industry. But also we don't own the platforms, we don't own the infrastructure, so we're playing somebody else's game on they turf. Yeah, and anything can happen when you know, it's also.
Speaker 3: Shifting now right with you know, with more distribution companies popping up, with you know, more funded upstarts, and obviously the access is different because now it's a click away, right, So if you put the and if they're you know the right people, the right business minded people who are tenured in this thing and understand how to develop and create the way that you have and you know, people of the same cloth have over the years. I think now we don't have the same system as far as distributing things to the public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but it's not also just the distributing, it's the mentality of the people and how business. So let me give you an example. The contract that we may sign to enter into the institution, those laws and everything that's there hasn't changed. It's the same contract James Brown did.
Speaker 1: So do you have to say sign that contract?
Speaker 2: Well, if you want distribution, let's say if it's fifteen let's say if it's only fifteen percent. Those laws hasn't changed. And we're not taught. We don't understand politics, we don't understand laws, and certain things, you still sign that distribution fee. Even to use your AT and T phone, there's fees, there's certain things, there's certain things that they got access to if you use an Apple phone. So my point is it's that platform, it's they tools that we use, and we'll still govern and control by a certain thing. And if you take the mentality of a person that never had anything and you give them money, that's the problem with the game. Now you look at that right now, last Big Records was Drake and Kendrick Lamar. But here's the thing. Give us a whole lot of money and then watch us be disrespectful for the clicks that likes to views the whole nine. That's disrespect But even if you're going against the people that gave you the money, even if you're trying to teach the next generation how to do it, there's still ways you have to govern the information. And it's still by law. So if you don't know the law, like you just said, you're teaching people about perpetuity, they're not reading that in the contract. But why is that.
Speaker 1: Clause even in there?
Speaker 2: But you can't change the law by saying you bringing awareness to it for us to remove it. How do we get to change that law? That's got to go through Congress's got to go You see the steps. Now we are here campaigning. Now we're standing on the front line when naturally the only thing you want to do is feed your family. How much enagey you got for it to prove to somebody else that we need to change this and do something about it. Which the first thing was you brought awareness to it. Cool, Now it steps to getting what we observe as we move through this maze. But as they continue to make us extinct, you and I both know only thing we do is get more creative, right, So that's why you'll see boom. While they destroy one thing, something else can pop. That's why there's a Tyler Perry. You see, he's not using the same infrastructure. It's a whole different infrastructure. Boom you got. You see little things. And right now in Atlanta, like they said, it used to be a DTP, a CTE. I can and I can just name all these subsidiaries, all these companies. They just moved them all to artists base. So they take advantage of artists of not knowing how to do business.
Speaker 1: So they moved, they moved, they removed it executives.
Speaker 2: Same thing. You don't you know who did Rihanna? Them guys came in, delivered something and was wiped out before they even got across the water. And it happens time and time and time again, and people not interested and the cure of why that's happening. They just want to make fun, make jokes.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: You know, they came on the island by itself. Do y'all think that's cool when you ain't had a hit in ten fifteen years. How you go from the hottest thing on the block to you're not hot?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: More like, how you get that amount of money and then say, oh, well you make this amount of money? He distracted? No, he's not distracted. It's a system. How are we not hot? How all of a sudden what he comes up with? He knows more about what's going on in the streets and what's happening out here then somebody pushing buttons at Apple. Absolutely okay, but why that's not surfacing. It's way deeper than the creatives. It's the platforms. It's the tools that we're using. So we are going to have to some point get together and create new tools, new platforms that and new ownership because right now everybody's talking about own this on that, which is the worst thing ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you don't know how to, for lack of a better term, exploit it.
Speaker 1: Well, if you don't know how to, well, some people don't possess these other things.
Speaker 2: I'm not a good administrative person, so I have to hire somebody that does administration. I don't know too many artists that I work with throughout the years to understand.
Speaker 3: Admin So how are you going to own something you don't know right, how you gonna My grandma said to me one time, She.
Speaker 2: Said, back, baby, could you? Could you? You know, she worked at a dry cleaner for over thirty something years, but she worked on the pressing machine, and she says, can I invest in a dry cleaner for it? I said, sure, I could do that. I said I need a business plan and a P and L. She thought at that moment I was being disrespectful. I just insulted her. Oh no, baby, I've been doing this for I said, yeah, I know, you've been doing it for thirty plus years, bab. I do know that, and I'm willing to invest, but I don't know anything about it right. So only way I need to look at the numbers. I need to look at the business plan. I need to see how these people ran this dry cleaner for years. And she didn't get that. Artists don't get that. So you saying you own something, but you don't know anything about the business.
Speaker 1: Or how to run it.
Speaker 2: Oh you're own your masters? Oh one hundred percent of zero, that is phenomenal. I became a multi millionaire of fourteen cent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh no, jay Z, say on your masters, that's not what jay Z did at the beginning. And if jay Z had the opportunity to go do a deal with Live Nation in the beginning, I guarantee jay Z would have done that deal differently. The jay Z now would do a totally different deal when he took that two hundred and fifty million dollars. But only thing he did when he took that he wanted out of his situation. Now, how you give a bundled deal. So let's say you rent their venue, you go, you're play in their venue, and I guarantee you if they got AT and T, Coca Cola, whatever mobile carrier, whatever sponsors that they had at that moment when he did that deal, guarantee you here and get.
Speaker 1: A back end because you got to recoup that deal.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guarantee it. I bet you're bundled in the two fifty Let him go do a deal now, it's not going to be the same.
Speaker 1: That's the point I'm making. Yeah, he learned the game.
Speaker 2: He learned the game right, And what I'm saying to you is, so it's not fair for us to say you should be an owner and own everything you do without.
Speaker 1: Having the information because you don't know.
Speaker 3: Right, and without having the capital and having the finances, because in any business, if someone puts up the finances, the deal is more advantageous to them. You go to a bank and now you got a loan and that's what that two fifty was, and you're paying that off first, right, And that's why you saw the packaging. Packaging with your things got slow.
Speaker 2: Shit, let's package it with justin timberlake, whatever we got to do the packages. Get this money down so I can get out of debt to get to this next space. Yeah, okay, but let me just go with my wife. So you're not seeing it behind the scenes. You're just seeing what they're putting in front of you. And my point is the person that knows the business behind not just having resource but being sourceful. You gotta have both, yeah, and that's what these kids are really lacking. So right now today they'll tell you we're gonna throw this out, we're gonna do this, We're gonna do this, and then you'll spike a little success and then it goes away. So are you working with newer artists now? Yeah, I work with new artists. I consult I consult with companies, I work with new artists. I'm more like the quiet Storm because it's you.
Speaker 1: Know, artists, silent giant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I learned differently, you know the days of you know, the way it used to be done. I just do it a little different today. Yeah, you have to just but yeah I still.
Speaker 3: Do That's great, bro, because a lot of times you find that, you know, the pillars of our community and people who have literally built this thing get to a point where you're just like, I'm cool, right, and you know, it's a different business.
Speaker 1: I don't want to I don't want to be a part of that. No.
Speaker 2: No, I think for a moment, what it did was it robbed me up my energy because you know, doing so much, plugging into so many different vibes and people, and sometimes when you to go to it gets it gets a little tough.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then when you need something that you know are plugging, it's not there.
Speaker 1: It's not there.
Speaker 2: So sometimes that's tough. And then when you start seeing all this chaos and and people dying over this and people going to jail, it starts to get put you in a dark place because the only thing you want to do is be creative. And this was your go to you know what I mean, if you go and this is what this if this is what you was escaping too, right, and then all of a sudden you start seeing.
Speaker 1: That it's putting you there. Yeah, what's coming.
Speaker 2: Out of it? You know? These you seeing childhood friends being divided, you seeing people getting shot up, people going to jail. You know, it's it's it's so much energy in a negative space to be in the space that it took a minute before I said, you know what, let me let me tap into this again, because I realized my purpose was to serve and help people, whether it came back or not. So I literally just kind of pushed back. Started a private school, went from K through twelve. It's now yeah, so it's it's education and the arts.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So and I'm also in the process working on a larger facility.
Speaker 1: Is how many students do you have as it how many students do you.
Speaker 2: Have currently three hundred? So now just working on bigger facility, more partners. I kind of incubated behind a head master that she's been doing education for eighteen years. Private school, So learning the space, learning the politics, kind of just taking the energy, moving a different direction, yeah, but still developing. So still in my craft, but I catching it early, you know, So I got this whole thing that's still playing in my head. I'm still chasing Disneyland, Walt Disney, you know. And that's how throughout the years, the facilities and the properties from Dreamland to Starland to Victory Land, these are all properties where entertainers I developed talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now I'm working on something a little bit mostrositytrosity, Yeah, something special for this generation and the next generation. So yeah, I'm in a great space creatively. And the beauty about all of it is that even in my darkest moments in this business is when I saw the most light, I was able to create better. Yeah, And that's the part that kind of hunts me. It's almost like going to being a football player. But you got to go to mini camp, then you got to go to training camp, then you got to go to summer camp, then you got to go to preseason.
Speaker 1: To get to it every year, yeah, every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I put myself in the same program. So if you don't see me right away, just know probably in mini camp. But that don't mean I ain't coming. Yeah. Yeah, I'm coming.
Speaker 1: Nah. I love that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Man, your story is amazing, your path is amazing. And honestly, bro, we need you. I think the game needs you and the game appreciates you. And I don't think that is always you know, that's not always said. You know, maybe monetarily at times, you know, you get you know, you get your just due, you get your you know, you get your bag. But as far as like you know, just from but even that community speaking to you, and.
Speaker 2: Just so I want to say this to young generation. You know, I know we live in a money, money grab environment and you you need money to live, to live. But one thing I can really tell you that the money, it's not gonna you can't buy happiness like I have tempted to buy the surroundings of it. And I remember one day I was in a club and I was sitting there and I don't drink. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I don't pop pills, I don't do any stuff. And I'm sitting there and because the promoter and the owner, you know, they know me, They're bringing all these bottles because I got a bunch of people with me, and I'm sitting there and I don't really know these girls, and the security guy got with me. I probably hired them for the night. And if a fight breakout, I don't know if this stick is gonna run, Oh, you're gonna help. I know he's paid. And I had a couple other people with me and I'm sitting there and I got to say, it had to be one of the most loneliest feelings I ever had. I mean, they was trying to talk to me in one ear, this person's saying this, ask me. They pawing, and the girls taking ass everywhere, and I'm like, a shift happened that I no longer want to be in the space. I don't know, it's just something came over me. I felt lonely and I felt unprotected. And then I stopped going out, and then certain other things start happening, and then I started going into and then I ran into issue with the IRS. And the way I ran into the issue was it was deep. It was deep, and it was strategic from a side that placed me into the situation. And as things start layering back and I started learning more, learning more like, Okay, how I'm gonna teach my artists about the IRS? If I don't really know it, how I'm going to teach them about financing if I don't know it how much.
Speaker 1: So now God has.
Speaker 2: Taken me through all these little things, removing me from the things I once knew into unfamiliar territory. So I got very lonely. I'm talking about extremely lonely, where I felt like, God, what's going on? Why, what's what's happening? And then he realized that I was winning too. I literally went into god witness protection program and it was the most amazing thing because all these years I carried all these people and then there was nobody I sense when I say crickets. I didn't know what peace was, and I ain't even I didn't even know what it felt like. And then a shift happened and he kept talking to me. He kept talking to me, and then he showed me. He showed me everything and every person that was in my life and why they was in my life and the reason for being there. And at that moment, I said, Okay, I got this. I got this. I fell in love all over again with myself because I ain't seen that kid since he was five. I plugged into everything that I thought I could possibly plug into. So he just unplugged it off. I'm talking about unplugged everything. The cars, the houses, the women, all the clothes, like they said, all the shoes, but couldn't take a step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Anything you could think of.
Speaker 2: I got access to and would let anybody use it. Man take the car, Hey, yeah, you can have a house, you know, beautiful thing. Even Jamie came and got the house for the whole week while he was shooting Baby Driver here, like, you take the house, you could take the house over there. I got so detached to material things because none of it made me happy. None of it. I didn't even like what was coming with it. I pull up to the stoplight, women hanging out like, oh man, they blowing. I got the top down. They loving the car, they love in the rims. I'm moving. I go pick up the raggedy pickup truck. I come back same light. Seen some girls coming that I saw when I went to park the car and came back in the regular truck to go move something. I say, bump. They sped past me. I said, this is beautiful. You start seeing things, start finding purpose. So I say to the young people, enjoy yourself. Enjoy your life, put something back, save as much as you can. We are in a recession. You don't know the law, you don't understand things and things that they put in front of you. It's not necessarily to try truth. So we got to do more of this. Yeah, gotta do more of coming together, more unifying. And I'm not saying in large groups, but in small groups to be effective. And I know I just went on the whole thing, but I just want to tell you, thank you, thank you, bro. Yeah, because I was getting ready to take that somewhere and I stopped because it was it's all good. Yeah, Okay, it was about to go into somebody.
Speaker 1: No, it's all good. Well this is about you, bro. Now. Now I want to get into the mind of you musically.
Speaker 3: Musically, Yeah, so I got something we'reben play something for him man.
Speaker 1: Fin Yeah, your top five, man five, your R and B songs.
Speaker 2: We got to know before you go there, WRO on this show.
Speaker 1: Your body want to know. Yes, it's tak crazy. So we want to know.
Speaker 3: The top five R and B singers and R and B songs. Let's start with the singers. Who are your top five R and B singers?
Speaker 2: Okay, I would say this guy because he went R and B and turnpop. Michael Jackson, Prince, Prince, Whitney Houston. Yeah, Michael Jackson, Prince R Kelly, Yes, And I'm gonna say this one because they like to leave him out of conversations sometimes. Teddy Riley Top five R and B singers, Well, it's not Teddy as guy, it's it was just that whole time period. Yeah, yeah, I would say that. I would say, yeah, usher.
Speaker 1: So eight, can I go back and do it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you got it. It's yours. Okay, it's yours absolutely, Okay, Top five R and B Songs.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Adore by Prince, Yes, Michael Jackson, out of my life, She's out of my life, baby Face one love saw it Ah, Yes, okay, okay, R Kelly when a woman's.
Speaker 3: Fed up amazing, Okay, that's that's right. Yeah, one more more, what's going on? Perfect song for the Times All timer. Okay, So that showed your top five songs.
Speaker 1: Got another segment. It's called the Voltron. Okay, where you build, which is is what you dow?
Speaker 3: You build the ultimate R and B superstar superhero. You take four elements, the voice, the stage performance, the styling and the passion.
Speaker 2: Okay, and build one artist. And build one artist that's Chris Brown. Chris Brown, Chris Brown, and Chris Brown.
Speaker 1: I take the voice and style of the choreography and change before.
Speaker 2: It's all Chris Brown.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to say it, but I know, so who's going to develop this artist? Who would you choose?
Speaker 2: I would say me and a team, Okay, because I I still think, even to this day, I could still take Chris to another level that he hasn't reached yet.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, all right, all right, all right, we got we got one more, we got one more.
Speaker 1: We got one more thing for you man before I let you go.
Speaker 3: Okay, A saying no nigga, saying no names, saying no names, saying no names. Who you was, what you did?
Speaker 2: Don't say?
Speaker 3: She said? Very important part of the show. Okay, Will you tell us a story funny or fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? The only rule to the game is you can't say no names.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I need one. Okay, So I give you a story about I think I might have been.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was working on an artists and at the record company has spent probably about two million dollars on the artist, and they was kind of chasing this sound, chasing this vibe, and I kept saying.
Speaker 1: Nah, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: And this artist was actually in a group, so I kept saying, man, I kept saying, like, why y'all can't get this right. She's a superstar. And I know she's you know, maybe standing next to a superstar, but she's a superstar. And then when I listened to the music, I kept saying, man, why y'all not making no real chocolate music because she's chocolate, But you can't make no chocolate music on her. You keep chasing this big thing. This big thing. Can't chase the past, got to chase the future. Gotta go. So I managed for probably about a good six I had that contract, and when I got it or whatever they signed it, I just put the contract on the desk. I never signed it. So one of the producers take an executive meeting and we walk in there and they upset because I start changing the direction of the artists. And I brought the artists to Atlanta, set them up up in one of my homes and started working and changing it. And then I take it back and the producer who who brought her in, and the executive. They upset. They're like, oh man, and they want me to play this music. So I played them a couple of songs. Can't tell you who did the songs, all right, So so I'm playing the songs and then they get upset. You know, it's the ubsess a heated argument. I'm in there arguing back and forth with this guy with the executive sitting here. We having a heated conversation. Now I know the guy and known him on his come up. Yeah right, he gets so upset with me, takes off, go back to his city and turns around, write a song. They send the song to the exact and then they send it to me. It sits on the exact desk for about a month. I got the record. When I got it, I listened, I leaked the record, put the record out, put the record. We're going record goes top five. I get a call from the attorney that I've been released. I got fired, But yeah, I got fired the record.
Speaker 1: You got fired for putting out a hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then never got the credit for the hit.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You know what I might need to take the simple to steal gin Man, and then I realized I couldn't even. I couldn't do anything I was. I wasn't even. I went back and I looked. I said, oh, I didn't even sign a contract whatever. I just tore it up and moved on. And the artists haven't had a hit record since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what man, Like I said, Bro, I appreciate you coming here.
Speaker 3: This has been a great time. I'm glad you shared your story. I'm glad you shared your knowledge. Respect, you know what I mean. With with our audience, with the world. You know what I mean, because they need to hear you. And like I said, once again, Bro, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, saying I'm Jay Valentine Yah the RV Money Podcast and this is the legend himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, mistake, there are who you a