Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of four Day Week Trends. Trending addition, I am Jack.
Speaker 2: That is Miles, that is this is.
Speaker 1: It is him mm hmmm uh yeah man, how is your your four days? Your four it was?
Speaker 2: It was jam packed. My mother in law was in town.
Speaker 3: We went all up and down the state to go visit people. I fucking fireworks were not every fucking night basically starting Thursday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all good. How about you?
Speaker 1: It's good, it's good. We're we're on the East coast. It's very steamy. There's like human steam, A little missed. My kids don't know how to make sense of. But yeah, it's been nice. You're not lying to them.
Speaker 2: It's like something spooky, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's ghosts. Yeah, ghosts, ghost sweat.
Speaker 2: You know it's hot because the ghosts starts sweating.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Should we kick it off? A little underrated? Over it?
Speaker 2: Take it off? Man? Come on, Vinnie Testa Verdi?
Speaker 1: Is he a kicker? No?
Speaker 2: I'm thinking what's the other ving Adam Vinitary? Adam Vinitary?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very Testa Verdi.
Speaker 1: Italians with them in their name will allow it.
Speaker 2: Vinitary.
Speaker 1: I feel like I do fireworks stuff every year, after the fourth of July, for what do you like? I come back complaining about the same thing, but from my underrated I'm gona switch out. I'm gonna go with how much of my time as a father of a five year old boy? Any apology I ever make any public apology, I will just inexplicably open it by saying, as a father of a five year old boy, I know, and he's you know, he's actually fourteen now.
Speaker 2: At one point I.
Speaker 1: Was, yeah, but just how much of my time is devoted to building legos? Rebuilding legos?
Speaker 3: I remember you said you were talking, You've completely fucked up a Lego thing.
Speaker 1: I destroyed a whole cluster miles.
Speaker 2: If you were like, should I call it? Is there a service I can call? What do I do?
Speaker 3: And?
Speaker 2: So weird?
Speaker 1: Long term doing it that thing together with him, and then when he wasn't around, I just like picked it up incorrectly. I think I must have missed a part. I think I like skipped a step or something and it just error shattered into one hundred pieces.
Speaker 2: Was the toy?
Speaker 1: It's the Hulkbuster. So it's a iron Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's cool. It's very cool. It's for an advanced age. You know, it's for like eight year old's eight plus, but my five year old like takes a lot of pride in being able to finish eight plus Legos. And so I'm in the doghouse man the dog house over here, brother.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just before I didn't, I didn't travel with it. But that's the other thing, is like, it's just it's a weird give me.
Speaker 3: Into your house, I'll go build it while you're away.
Speaker 1: It's a weird premise to like, because I didn't really fuck with Legos when I was a kid. Really, yeah, I don't know what was wrong with You're.
Speaker 2: So like nurse about them, you like building.
Speaker 1: Shit toy guns was like, oh wow, running around like Action figures, Key Man, Action Figures Oratis isn't built in there. It explains a lot, but yeah, just the idea of a toy. My toys like when you pick them up wrong, didn't break into a hundred different pieces.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing with Legos, man, that they're not.
Speaker 3: I remember I loved Legos and I started playing with Legos because my older cousins were really good at Legos.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, you can't handle this ship.
Speaker 3: You were a baby, and I was like, fuck you, and I would start making them.
Speaker 2: But then I remember the first I had a Lego car, and you know, like when you're a kid.
Speaker 3: You start crashing ship into each other's had like one of the first forms of play you do with car toys. I smashed the fuck out of this, like not even the fuck out of it. I just was playing with it like it wasn't made of little blocks, and it exploded and I had a fucking melt down. And that's when my mom was like, these aren't fucking like rough house toys, and they're like the you just like build them ships and you you go lightly with them.
Speaker 2: And I slowly learned, but that's why.
Speaker 1: You're ready for a life of dealing with delicate glassware and ye like the things that boys naturally crystal stemware.
Speaker 3: Now I can playing songs on crystal stemwaer.
Speaker 1: So that's my underrated what she.
Speaker 3: Got underrated knowing how to time your pet's anxiety meds so they don't have a meltdown.
Speaker 1: With the finals.
Speaker 3: On the bottle, it says two hours before a potentially stressful event to give your pet this kind of stuff. Because my dog is super anxious, so when the fireworks go off, he will like he just starts like shaking and ship. So the first night given way too late, the second time game way too early, and then goldilocks it the last two nights of fireworks and yeah he's been fine.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I always joke to people.
Speaker 3: I'm like, fireworks season in LA is pretty similar, but truly like in my neighborhood. It starts on December thirty first and ends on December thirty first. Its motherfuckers have just any reason to just set shit off where I live, and I you know, I get it. I like it, but now like with a baby like it. It's funny how quickly I went from like, yeah, send that shit up to be like I got a fucking kid man, that's my whole I've done a one eight in that part. But anyway, yeah, learning how to win the meds hit right. But shout out to the veterinarian who hooked it up nice.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have a fireworks related overrated, which is fireworks displays. Like I feel like, oh so the first fifteen or so far works in a display and I'm speaking for myself because so I'm I prefer sporadically, like little impromptu displays from different people backyards, like you know, and please do it like right as the sun goes down so people aren't having to like wake up in the middle of the night or you know, like yeah over there, yeah, but yeah, I don't know, like the second you commit to doing a long display in one place where everyone's gathering, like those first fifteen really great, no notes on the first fifteen fireworks, and then it's just the same shit over and over again. I guess I think it's mainly for kids, right, and kids are on board a little bit more for a little bit longer, but.
Speaker 3: Fine display are we talking about like people like legit pyrotechnic show or somebody who just got a bunch of illegal fireworks.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, we're doing the display in my art.
Speaker 1: No like that, Like when there is is a fireworks show, like the towns putting on their fireworks show, you go down, you go to a place if or if you can see it from your place, great, and it just lasts. Like I happened to be watching CNN last night. They were showing New York's fireworks, which are I think some of the most famous, and like they they just like outlasted the song like they were playing the Frank Sinatra in New York, New York, and then the song ended and they were like, and wow, what a great Wait, Nope, they're still going. They went for like five minutes New York and then they were just it was it was aggressive and it lasted for like the finale just felt I don't know, it felt like it was designed to fuck with pets and and I don't know. It just feels like they need to either figure out some new types of fireworks or like three minutes, Like is anyone out there like three minutes way too short for a fireworks display? Otherwise I feel like we could get it done in three minutes. Like people I like are constantly complaining that movies are too long, but I have literally never seen fireworks that didn't seem like it was dragging ass a couple minutes.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, I it all depends, man, because unless you're seeing like a renowned fireworks display, it can get a little boring because like you only usually like you only got maybe like the three types of fireworks people, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: But I think for me personally, I would probably prefer if we had something more like in the movie cone Heads where Dan Ayroid is in charge of the fireworks display at the homecoming game and he has one bottle rocket but it sets off like a super nova in the sky and everyone's all fucked up from looking at it and it's just one explosion. I'm fine with that, Like, just give me something spectacular in one go, because I feel like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was that one town that accidentally set off all their fireworks at once perfect. It just didn't do the timing perfect.
Speaker 2: That's all you need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like shocking awe.
Speaker 2: There was one in a nearby town a half hour one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and no that's and I saw some of it and I'm like, yo, these are some low rent fireworks too, thirty like you're doing thirty minutes because you're doing quantity over quality. Yeah, and that's what happens. I'm pure quality. I can just you can give me one gigantic one, that's fine. Just do a mushroom cloud. Fine. Good.
Speaker 1: I want to I kind of want to interview for one of our expert episodes, like somebody who is like the firework display architect, who's like, you know, really in the orthodoxy of like no, no, no, no. Three minutes is simply too short.
Speaker 2: Why is that? He's like the human brain. It's like, wait, what myles.
Speaker 1: You're really telling a story with these fireworks, and in this case story it's.
Speaker 2: Us just freeing ourselves from the shackles of King George.
Speaker 1: Yes, by the way, I do like they're speaking of the oldest story. Starting a fire a campfire. I could watch that for an hour. Just watch it. Look at a fucking campfire. I think. I think this is just me being like I'm old. I'm old at all.
Speaker 3: Ship very homer companion over here. I'd love to see a fire get started.
Speaker 1: It's a dang thing.
Speaker 2: Wow, like that tinder wood? He got what you're.
Speaker 1: Burning over there? You asking to different a nearby fire? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh just just some wood? Okay, what are you going to start it? Some bird spark? Is that bird spark? Bird Spark's good? I hear to start a fire?
Speaker 1: Got oil it a little kindling.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So my overrated is making a quote unquote beach day work when the weather is not fucking conducive to having a quote unquote beach day. Yeah, I'm spoiled because I'm from Los Angeles. So when we go to the beach, we would be like, Yo, is it fucking hot, Let's go to the fucking beach that like it's going to be scorching, Let's just go frolic in the sea.
Speaker 2: Then I know.
Speaker 3: People who are just beach people all the time, like they just want to be at the beach whenever. And this weekend, some parts of the state, some parts of the California looked really hot, which sometimes I think a lot of people have this habit of just assuming that because it's hot, like in one part of La it means the beaches are going to be fucking swelled, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Go overcast as shit. Yeah, and the highest sixty five.
Speaker 1: It's a two part question. Is it hot where you are? Yes? Is it hot when you're standing directly next to the largest thing on earth, the Pacific Ocean, which is frigid at all times, it's freezing, it's.
Speaker 2: Unless you're in the like near the equator or something.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So I just I just it's just funny because I find out how much of a beach curmudgeon I can be, Like, I love I love going to places where it's great, great beach weather when it's cold, I'm like, shivering in the sand.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally, totally, and I just become like the life is drained out of me. But then like, after a while, you kind of have fun. But I still don't understand. Like when I see like little kids playing in that cold ass water, yeah, I think I like, I now realize how my mom like would always respond to be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, what are you doing. You're gonna catch a cold type shit. But yeah, they I don't know what happened.
Speaker 3: I don't know where I lost that joy to be just in the shivering cold and that was fun.
Speaker 1: I think we're getting old man. Yeah, we got the beach curmudgeon over here and Mudget the campfire appreciator. We're the oldest humans on the earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, old man make Joe Biden look like a zoomer.
Speaker 1: That's right. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some of the things that were trending over the long weekend. And we're back, and I do really believe I don't know if you guys talked about this on Thursday, but it does seem like there is a real strategy of like dumping big news like right heading into a holiday weekend.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: But yeah, obviously the Supreme Court was really doing that shit at the end of last week. Some things that were trending over the weekend fourth of July be.
Speaker 3: Aria, Yeah at GOP on Twitter.
Speaker 2: It's so stupid.
Speaker 3: This really isn't that big of a deal, but I mean, it just indicates how far are we've fallen. At GOP tweeted forty seven years ago basically like our forefathers blah blah blah. It was like an independent state tweet, and they posted a graphic with two what they believed to be American flags. But what most people realized, who you know, have played Carmen San Diego or just into flags, are like, that's the Liberian flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one star, that's.
Speaker 2: Literally one star. That's it's Liberia.
Speaker 3: And they just like quietly deleted it and then just posted a bunch of Americana horseshit, like just to kind of cleanse the timeline. But it's funny because all these users just kept coming back to like reply like screen caps of that first tweet, and they're like, y'all don't even know that is this you the people who don't know the flag.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know, good to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they came for the White House Pride flag on like flag flag code, browns flag. They were literally talking citing the US Flag code, which you know they clearly found out was a thing after rage googling it at three A. But there their complaint was that putting the Pride flag on the White House was in breach of flag code.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, uh huh what is that exactly? Because you guys are the people don't even know which flag.
Speaker 1: Is our American flag needs to be the highest flag on White House. Which first of all, they took a picture of just a small part of the White House and cut out the part where there was an American flag up higher than the like on the top of the White House. And second of all, is like not even an official thing. It's just bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just they're they're not again, it's it's so funny.
Speaker 3: The conservatives always like if if society is like moving too far along for them, then they have to go back to find some weird rule.
Speaker 2: It's against the rules.
Speaker 3: But then but then you also contradicted constantly with your policies that like it's in the Constitution, but I will also violate other people's enumerated rights within the Constitution. So it's very tiring. I think it's just a nice cherry on top that, you know, with all this fucking hand ringing about the flag code, that the people who run their social media accounts don't even know what the fuck the flag is. I think some other congress people also did it too. This wasn't like, it's not an isolated incident. People pretty regularly, i think, post the Liberian flag thinking it's the American flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just it's the like, uh PowerPoint presentation version of the American flag. Yeah. Well, I can't put fifty stars on this, bitch.
Speaker 2: Oh, this one's cool.
Speaker 3: It's like minimal, it's I got one star, one star review of America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, speaking of the White House and conservatives freaking up, we got a cocaine caper. So you know, we talked last week cocaine mania is transforming America into a kind of you know, strung out eighty stockbrokers. But a baggie of coke was found in the White House on the fourth of July weekend. Oh and there was a brief evacuation miles for sure.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got they saw white powder, and they they thought we were back in like the what was it?
Speaker 2: Was it Tom Dashel that got the white powder? Yeah yeah, yeah, that's that's feels like a throwback.
Speaker 1: So they then tested the white powder, presumably in a bathroom stall on a Depeche Mode CD case and discovered therewars cocaine, And now the Secret Service is launching a full investigation, reviewing video footage, scouring entrance logs, which both seems like a complete waste of time and also I feel like we're not going to get unless it's just like some guy visiting the White House, like, yeah, we're not going to get the answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I cool? Who left there? I'm like, I feel bad for the person who left their cocaine there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like, ah shit, what fucking drop the baggie?
Speaker 2: Bro Where in the White House?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, how get it?
Speaker 1: Get back to the fucking white Did.
Speaker 2: You see this fucking on lockdown? Do the guy to fucking bomb suit. They probably gets anthrax or some ship. Well that's good.
Speaker 3: I at least they're being safe because you never know, like the police might randomly pass out near it if they get too close to the back.
Speaker 1: So I do feel like if Joe Biden accidentally like stepped on it and just like a little cocaine dust like accidentally got inhaled, it might kill him. Like he's yeah like Trump right, he like never drank or like did an any anything. So I feel like he did it.
Speaker 3: Why'd I vote for him? I know, dor you gotta do coke if I'm gonna vote for you. Joe, I'm sorry man that.
Speaker 1: You're like a drug dealer in a movie where you're like you got to prove to me. You know you're not.
Speaker 2: A cop, all right, you're under arrest, but you did Yeah, so what shit? I thought it was a law but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could be a big smoke bomb to distract from I don't know.
Speaker 1: The existing is my question. Because obviously the New York Post and the conservative media like it's onners, it's gotta be hunters, And on the one hand, my first instinct is like, well, can't be hunters because we found out about it, Like they would just cover that ship up, Like the New York Post created a whole map of the building, Like yeah, a game of clue like a topical map of.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those stories where it's a little thing that I'd imagine it's mostly conservative media that like is latching onto it, making it seem like a bigger story than it is because they can use cocaine Biden and then just like just wring that out for as much of little juice is left in that berry because like, I don't know, there was a there was like a huge event like there too, so I don't know, you know, people in and out of there all the time.
Speaker 1: The choice smokers were playing the uh like some washed like DJ, but that does I don't know. There is a world to me that makes sense that like because why let it become a question? It's either smoke bomb to distract from something else or I think there is a world in which like they are tired of like when you look at like leaks from the Hunter Biden laptop, which is the only news I consume.
Speaker 2: Of course, well you just look at those two pict.
Speaker 1: Conservative uncle Sundsman.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're not really going through stuff, you just go back and forth to image files.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like there's a reason that this has to leak, right, Like it's.
Speaker 3: A pretty operation because the way I saw it over the weekend was there was like an APE alert because they had to calling a has Matt team, and that's why it became news because suddenly a haz mat team was called to the White House because the secrets. So at first I was like, oh, ship, like what you know? It was more like is it anthrax type energy?
Speaker 2: What the news was?
Speaker 3: And then it's like false alarm, guys, it's just one of the Secret Service agents coke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an AP alert that went out that was like, hey, somebody left their coke, come.
Speaker 3: Get it, come get it, come get it, come get it, come get a hurry, hurry, hurry, before it's a news story. And then I think from there then it then you can have the words. It's like a mad libs cocaine Biden White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my my theory was that like the Secret Service is like tired of being on the hunter Biden detail, and they're just like, all right, let's leak this. But that's it's just it was of quoting this. Yeah, they're like even their own people, we are we do work for the Biden White House.
Speaker 2: That are their own knowledge.
Speaker 1: All right. Twitter had a tough weekend, those of us, who are you?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't go on there, but I saw what happened. They're throttling how many fucking tweets you can see now? Yeah, like there's a limit unless you pay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless you unless you're one of the blue checks. Oh my god, start limiting the number of posts you could see each day in six hundred, which a lot of tweets for me. But people were apparently reaching their limit and seeing a post that was like, you have reached the end of Twitter for the day, Go go outside.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they upped it.
Speaker 3: Unverified can do a thousand now, yeah, yeah, ten.
Speaker 2: Thousand if you are verified.
Speaker 1: I big one that is crazy to me is that like they so they're also limiting use of tweet Deck, which affects like super users.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: They're also like you can't see tweets and unless you're logged in, which so the main way you could bring new users to your site is removed.
Speaker 3: Don't need them, don't need them, Just need these assholes to start coughing up money and then it'll all be okay.
Speaker 2: That feels like their whole strategy.
Speaker 3: It's like, we just got to fucking squeeze these fuckers until they start paying us, And I don't know what that force will do if that pushes them to another place.
Speaker 1: But come on, yeah, you need people to be able to spend unlimited time on platform. If like he hired even though he's like, I don't want it to be AD supported as much as like the subscription supported that ship sailed. He hired a sales person, an AD salesperson as his CEO, And every one of these moves is just like disastrous for a business.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I feel like Linda Yakarino had like a really like stupid explanation for like why the site is as backwards as it is. Again, she speaks in such vague terms, I never know what the fuck she's saying. She said, when you have a mission like Twitter, you need to make big moves to keep strengthening the platform. This work is meaningful and ongoing.
Speaker 1: What move the fuck does that?
Speaker 2: You're you're you're.
Speaker 3: Lit whatever, just keep frustrating people on there. I mean, it's it's been the best way honestly for me to use the site.
Speaker 1: Lest yeah, that is it is helpful to people who are trying to have lives, but it's bad for them, it's got yet more AMMO for people who are somehow under the impression that Elon Musk doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. He claimed it was because bots are like scraping Twitter to feed like AI algorithms. For people knowledgeable about that, say, like that happens, but it's been a thing for a very long time and wouldn't have just like kicked up recently. And also he cut all these services as a one billion dollar bill to Google for a cloud hosting was due. So sorry, he just like doesn't have enough money.
Speaker 3: Like that, My man is canceling the free trial right at the last minute. Yeah, yeah, go ahead, Elon, we see you, you broke billionaire.
Speaker 1: Meta has an app that the mainstream media is going crazy about called Threads that's scheduled to drop on Thursday, I believe. Yeah, And it builds itself as like an Instagram app that is basically aimed at at Twitter users. But I don't know, I don't Twitter is kind of defined by its lack of functionality, like it doesn't have the things that Facebook already has or like Instagram, so like they're just going to launch version of their most popular sites that just like has features removed. I guess, like the thing that makes you want to be on Twitter is the people who are already there and like the established culture, and you know that's that's being rapidly destroyed. But at least, like I have a list of people that I follow who are funny, and I can go there and be entertained by them, So I don't I.
Speaker 2: Just I don't know, maybe buy a ticket to their shows.
Speaker 1: Jack hmmm, maybe that sounds inefficient.
Speaker 3: Gets yeah, buy three thousand tickets of your favorite comedians. The thing with the Threads, though, that I was reading is that like it's not even coming out the EU because the privacy shit is like so fucked up.
Speaker 2: They're gonna they're gonna like take your blood.
Speaker 3: Type if you use threads based on like when you look at all the like the data that it's trying to get. I think it's a very clever thing because we all know how when Apple made it very difficult for like, you know, these apps to scrape other data like passively, you know how like you can opt out basically from sharing all that data that like fucked Facebook terribly, And maybe they're back with this being like, well maybe we can get some of that sweet sweet data from with our threads app to get people you know on our ship and then we can learn everything about them again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my gut is that it's not going to be replaced by because it's like so powered by people who are you know a small number of people who are really active and smart on on Twitter, and so I just feel like the solution is not going to be like and we all just discovered that Mark Zuckerberg created this cool thing that has no problems and is a safe place for everybody to go. So I don't know, I'm guessing that's not it. But the mainstream media I think is going to cover it as that. I mean, ye, every this fight was called off.
Speaker 2: Right, well every well, I don't know, it still seems like it's on.
Speaker 3: Actually oh really his news used to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's training with George Saint Pierre.
Speaker 1: And shit, so I know who that is because I'm a he's a.
Speaker 3: Guy who looks like a discount Jean Claude van Dam and he was like a like a UFC fighter. But yeah, the thing that it's really wild, it is like I when I'm looking at all of this stuff, the data that it's scraping. It's truly like, oh yeah, it's surveillance capitalism.
Speaker 2: The app is what threads is.
Speaker 3: I mean, like pretty much all meta apps are because that's like their entire business.
Speaker 2: But again that's why it won't be launching in.
Speaker 3: The EU quite yet, because you know, they have like laws that are like, hey, don't send people sensitive data all around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's probably a good idea that I don't Actually it's not a practice I actually you know, engage in, but I probably should is just like check whether it's legal in the EU and then yeah, but then I wouldn't be able to drink mountain dew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have Skittles. Yeah, wasn't it Skittles the other one that has that die in it? Yeah, there's like certain candies too.
Speaker 1: But the thing that makes it shiny, I think is actually Polish.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be back with a couple more stories. We'll be right back, and we're back, and the Wolkes finally killed Hollywood guys. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny made fun of capitalism in the trailer. There's like some line that was like he was like, you stole that from me, You stole that from me, And then Phoebe Weallerbridge was like, it's called capitalism, guys, and so I think everyone's mad. And that's why I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: It because it's an action movie that stars an eighty year old.
Speaker 2: Hey hey, hey man. Eighty year olds can also.
Speaker 3: Being action stars. Eighty year olds could kick their own ads.
Speaker 1: Also, he's like never been He's always had eighty year old vibes, Like when he throws a punch, he usually falls over like forward. He always seems off bounce. He always seems like he's on a ship that is in rough weather like whenever you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like he's got like drunken master fighting style like in all Harrison Ford movies.
Speaker 2: He's never been someone who's thrown like a convincing punch.
Speaker 3: He's almost like, well, I guess I gotta hit you, like it's like fighting.
Speaker 1: I feel like he throws a punch and then his like suit jacket flies up over his head somehow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have a picture of him and like his jacket has like come over his elbow, like he's in a hockey fight where someone pulled his jersey over his head.
Speaker 1: Yeah what am I thinking of?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think it's in Clear and Present Danger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Clear and to Air Force one are basically the same character, and it's like, you know, he's he's tough, but he works.
Speaker 3: I think in Clear and Present Danger it's the scene where their convoy gets ambushed in Columbia. Yeah, and like they gut to start getting like rocket blasted and ship. And I think there's this shot where he's running away from like a suburban.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I still remember that scene where the Secret Service guy goes, we're getting rocket blasted, sir.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, Jad, it's this way. It is this one. It's this explosion because his arms.
Speaker 3: This one, you know, because his jackets all love that.
Speaker 1: I get flying up behind him.
Speaker 3: And that's what I think Harrison Ford like totally in his in his most action packed he's like clumsily navigating his own.
Speaker 2: Suit chack kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, anyways, I mean he's one of our greatest movie stars currently, but that's currently flogging a mirror. I don't I don't want to ran that at all. Yeah. Yeah, I think you need for something like this to really succeed. And it also like didn't totally tank. It made eighty two million dollars over its five days. But I think you really need the reviews to be like super fucking strong. You know, it's like a movie that people remember, like the first three are like two of the first three I guess are are classes and the fourth one like suck. So to get people back, I think they really needed this to be like really really strongly reviewed in the review which is more in the like fast and the furious range, And I don't think that was going to do it for them. I think they should have paid Rotten Tomatoes a little bit more to get get them up in the like eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, dude, just goose the numbers. Come on, they're goosed.
Speaker 3: I mean, the thing they gotta just do Like Barbie right now, Barbie is doing the thing that Indiana Jones should have been doing, which is I'm gonna see Barbie.
Speaker 1: I'm going to see it.
Speaker 2: There's so much.
Speaker 3: Marketing that also has me excited, like they're everywhere, to the point that I think there's a global movement.
Speaker 2: Happening to see Barbie.
Speaker 3: And with Indiana Jones, like it was like a whimper of like an announcement or any kind of hype, which they should because you're trying to you're trying to press that nostalgia button on the audience, which Barbie is doing very well. I think marketing wise that I feel like that because the way I when interacted with it was just hearing people be like, oh, yeah, you see it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, it's out there, like yeah, it's it's pretty good. It's pretty good. It's not bad.
Speaker 3: That's kind of like what I heard, And then cut to me at the movie theater deciding which movie to go to.
Speaker 2: I chose no hard.
Speaker 1: Feelings because it was Jennifer Lawrence. You chose give me one ticket to Jennifer Lawrence. Please give me one ticket to the Jennifer Lawrence. Yeah too, Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Lawrence's It's fun. It's like, it's like a great It's like I can't get mad at it. It's short. That's what I like it. It felt it was predictable.
Speaker 3: Matthew Broderick is in it, and he and I'm like, WHOA, look at old ass Matthew Broderick, which is nice to see because I'm so used to seeing Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the form of Connor Roy that it's nice to see Ferris Bueller himself now in his latter days.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 3: And yeah, Jennifer Lawrence, I'm not gonna front she's she's she has a she's good, good comedic chops.
Speaker 1: This feels like the most full embodiment of them, like matching her off screen persona to her like you usually like she was in serious roles for the most part, right, Like, yeah, I feel like she had never gone full Jennifer Lawrence in a movie to this point.
Speaker 3: And so I, oh, yeah, it's like a scumbag type character. Yeah, she's kind of like a scumbag. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's yeah, I'm not again.
Speaker 2: And it's it's under two hours. Come on, y'all, come on baby.
Speaker 1: The problem with Destiny that you know people are mentioning when they're like it only made eighty two million, is that it cost two hundred and ninety five million dollars miles. That's is it?
Speaker 3: Because we're talking like Avatar type? Did they really remove his jowels for the whole movie? I heard it's just the first thirty minutes that he's jowlless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's actually had complete mail pattern bald for the past forty years and just everything he has appeared on. Yeah, yeah, he's like figured it out in post. That was a big part of the water World budget was Kevin Costner being like, my hair doesn't look good there because it's wet. So yeah, we're gonna need to add a full head of hair back and.
Speaker 2: A lot of raid too, if you don't mind. I've always'd be cool to have a little braid.
Speaker 1: Oh if you don't think he actually got the braid, you're crazy. But some reports even think it may have actually cost more than three hundred million dollars, and that's without marketing costs, So this is like pure production budget.
Speaker 2: It's like, wait, so what was his feet? What was?
Speaker 1: I don't know? But that is the thing that they like that there is a financial benefit to being someone who's just terminally over everything. Seems like he's just like what, I don't know, man, what fine if you if you pay me enough. But like the higher price tags reportedly due to Harrison Ford's salary, Steven's Bielberg's huge producing fee, and then the stop and start of production during COVID, which you know, yeah, I can't hate them for that.
Speaker 3: Wait, oh, so it's saying that it's an estimated twenty million for Harrison. That's more so Jennifer Lawrence made more money than he for she made twenty five doing no.
Speaker 2: Hard I mean rightly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, but I just love I just love that this movie goes way because that was the other problem with no hard feelings. I think we were talking about it because Jam was bringing up how the budget was also super high and no hard feelings, and even though it did semi well, it's hard to like recoup a lot of like the talent fees.
Speaker 1: I feel like nobody was buying a ticket for Dial of Destiny. And first of all, nobody was buying a ticket to Dial of Destiny and saying the words Dial of Destiny, which they had. Another thing, I would say, pay Rotten Tomatoes more to get the review up over like eighty ninety percent, and also like fire, whoever the fuck is coming up with these titles like Kingdom of the Christ Skull and Dial of Destiny such fucking clunkers. Man. But yeah, apparently it looks like shit like the CGI looks pretty bad that Jam went and saw it and said, which like there needs to be some sort of sea change with how Hollywood thinks about CGI, because it's been bad for a couple of years now, Like I post all all of the Avengers movies, they're just I think it might be that like effect houses unionize and start getting paid well, and like then you can actually stay in business because like, you know, you're in trouble when like the people who win the Academy Award are already like out of business for the Life of Pie, and like the people who brought Tupac back to life for that live hologram event, like they were out of business by the time that story hit. Like it's just a terrible It seems like I smell private equity.
Speaker 2: Which might got to take over the CG houses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super producer Becca saw Indiana Jones and really had a good time. So you know it's for the Zeitgeist meter, the zeit meter our movie review rating. We have what we're one for one jam So the CG sucks, So mate, we have to get his official fresher run.
Speaker 3: See and if you want to talk of I'm sure there's like a lot of Nazi punching or see, you know, no hard feelings where if Jennifer Lawrence's character was a man, then like, this is the most fucked up movie I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: That kid, I guess that was the question by the trailer.
Speaker 2: Honestly, why is she on trial? Right now?
Speaker 3: I would watch it, my honor, I would argue whether or not what occurred can be called intercourse?
Speaker 1: Okay, that is.
Speaker 2: At all intrigue now I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then finally, some civil rights groups are challenging legacy admissions at HERT Harvard University. Uh, you know, in light of the Supreme Court shooting down affirmative action at Harvard and other schools. And I don't know. I'm sure we'll start getting the infuriating like legal technicalities. But like the only explanation I've heard for like why not to do this is colleges being like, but it helps with donations, which is not really what situition for. Well, they have like endowments of billions and billions of dollars. They have endowments of like a fucking hedge fund. Uh. And also like just saying that out loud, like that's not a like argument you make in the public, Like you don't say we let the rich white people's children into our supposedly idealistic institution because they give us money.
Speaker 2: They give us money.
Speaker 1: Okay, never mind, we thought something like racist and unfair was happening here.
Speaker 3: It's the logical evolution of already a discriminatory practice. On when you're out, we were telling you know, it started in the twenties because it was a way to keep Jewish and minority students out of universities.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then because they can't say that anymore because at first we've been like, well that's how we keep you know, you know who out of the class.
Speaker 2: That they're now like, well, it's good for money.
Speaker 1: That's the one they say out loud. Yeah, well because they bribe us, and we already have like a lot of money, but like, we really fucking like money.
Speaker 2: Those are ribes, So what are you saying to do.
Speaker 1: It's nothing else, it's just they bribe us. So don't think about the worst thing that it could be. Yeah. So, I don't know, I don't, like, I don't have any legal expertise. I don't know how this thing like winds its way through the courts, but it does seem like pretty bulletproof.
Speaker 3: To me at this point, and again, you know this study after study shows diversity in your classes is and like really make the difference in a lot of people's lives than going to like a one note, monotone school where everyone you know, fucking check booked their way into the class.
Speaker 1: We just learn how to be friends jaded rich kids like yeah, that's yeah, that's your skill that you're going to get to learn in the future here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or yeah exactly, or like yeah, we we can. I don't know whatever, it's it's there's nothing. There's nothing that suggests doing it helps fucking anybody except to, you know, create less diversity into college classes and campuses.
Speaker 1: Learn what rich kids who went to prep school called cocaine at Harvard. Yeah cool, all right, you'll fit in at all the parties on Hampton's And yeah.
Speaker 2: Where's your family's boat docked?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: What flag do you fly on your yacht? Oh? Not a Panamanian one? Okay, Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: That's truly, like they give us money.
Speaker 2: It is so bad.
Speaker 1: It's so bad, and it's so just it's blatantly that like the rich get favorable treatment, like it's yeah, I mean, it's just been an it's been an open secret like in universities or not even it's just an open thing that they like didn't even think to make a seen.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, we're talking about how flagrant it was, people.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, make some fake ass regatta fucking pictures of you on a row boat so we can get you into college.
Speaker 2: You don't have to shit, Like, yeah, it's there's.
Speaker 3: Clearly so many we talk about this all the time. There's so many different versions of reality based on what your income is or your family's income or wealth is. And one version is you can be passive all the way into college and your money can get you there. Another version is you have to toil even in high school to like get to get your shit together to even be able to have some semblance of money to afford college. And right now we're debating whether or not we turn off their back door money spigot.
Speaker 1: Okay, Bret Kavanaugh, like you know, I'm sure you guys talked about this admission and he got into Yale because he claims he busted his tail.
Speaker 2: He busted his tail. Okay, he's sperm.
Speaker 1: He is just the crystallization of like what if a gym teacher was a Supreme Court justice like everything, Like in seeing him interviewed during that Supreme Court, like his hearing or whatever it was, his confirmation, Yeah, confirmation hearing, like he is just gym teacher and like high school football, yeah energy, like he stopped developing when he thought his high school football coach was cool.
Speaker 3: He was on JV basketball his senior year and he never left town. Yeah, busted his tail and he never left and that pain now carries him all the way to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: A lot of people think I'm on something. I'll tell you what I'm on. I'm on my bike twenty four hours a day. Think against armstrong energy. All right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, July fifth. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white the premises, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,