Speaker 1: No one wants to see your feet. It's one more thing. I'm strung and getty. We'll get to that in a moment. As I did a little traveling over the weekend, which turned out to be not the best idea since I was sick and Sam was sick. I just thought we would power through it or get over it or something, and it did not work out that way, and we ended up not doing a lot and coming back early.
Speaker 2: So it was very kind of a surprise when the standard a little cough, little sniffle turns in something nasty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ended up spending a tremendous amount of money to feel horrible in an exotic locale. Anyway, Our friend you don't know, our friend Dave Katie. It's too bad. He's one of the best people I've ever met in my life. He was our boss in San Diego. He lives on a boat. H Yeah. He had been carrying around a card in his wallet for years. Live on a boat by age sixty a goal setting and he did it. He pulled it off by like a week.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Goal setting is important, you really, I was talking with him about that over the weekend. You can't just like think about things occasionally that you actually want to do. You got to commit to him like that, like I'm going to do this by this date, and then you know, lay the work to actually make that happen. Anyway, Henry and I slept on his boat two nights in the marina in San Diego, and he was at his girlfriend's house, so Henry and I had to boat to ourselves. And then we went out in the dinghy in San Diego Bay, which is absolutely awesome. For whatever reason, there was just no boat traffic. I guess because people love God and Jesus and care about that more than boating or something. But on Easter Sunday there was nobody out there but us, and we were cruising around the bay in this little boat. I didn't know you could do this until Dave told me. We went under the Midway. The Midway is an aircraft carrier, an old aircraft carrier from World War Two that they have docked in some museum now, but you can go under it, like around it really close, and the underneath the anchors which are the size of you know, several cars and stuff like that. Very very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: And then we saw one of those giant Disney cruise ships take off right next to us, which was stunning to watch up close. Also just oh, it's mind blowing that anything could be that big and float. Were you in the water in the dinghy at that point or Oh, that had to be like awesome slash almost scary. It was almost scary. I mean it was very obvious then crazy how fast those things go. It doesn't look like they're going that fast until you're like in front of it and trying to get out of the way of it. Yeah, they're going way faster than it looks. I've never been on a cruise. Have you been on a cruise?
Speaker 3: Giddy?
Speaker 1: I have not. I've never had a desire to be on a cruise.
Speaker 2: River cruise. The river cruise was fantastic. That's that's a very different experience. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's been afraid of cruises that like norovirus, being stuck on a ship like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, many thousands of people, Like I was telling Henry that there are more people on that boat than live in my hometown, which I looked up and is actually true. You know, many many thousands of people on a floating hotel and everything like that, and I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I got really deterred at the beginning of COVID when all of those people got trapped on that boat and it was docked like right at the base of the Bay Bridge in the Bay Area, and every day when I was driving home, because we're essential workers, right, I would see that and go, oh, my gosh, these people are just trapped and they have no idea when they're getting off, and yep, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I've never been on a cruise and I've never been that close to a giant cruise ship, and I didn't realize it was moving. We were out in the water and Henry said, I think it's leaving, and I said, are you sure? And I started paying attention. It was like, yes, it was coming our way. And we cruised around that for a while. He went out in the water, and then these giant tug boats turned it around and then it headed out to see. Very very fun and Henry got to drive the boat around, which is highly cool but very fun. But so I was talking to her headed back to the hotel and I ended up talking to the sort of person in tourist towns who has a tent set up in a high traffic area and sells little things. You know, We've all seen these sorts of people. I'd never had a conversation like I had with this guy, though, and he sold these little things that my kids were super interested in. So I ended up being there for a while and talking to him when he sold a variety of little things, like all those kind of tents do. He actually sold miniature collectible tennis shoes. My son's super into sneaker world and like knows all the hot sneakers and what are the most popular throughout the years and what's coming out next year and blah blah blah blah blah. And he and this guy bonded on that. But he sells miniature ones and like they're really detailed with actual laces and look exactly like and have the hangtags on him and my son thought they were so cool, and so they talked about it for a long time. Anyway, and they're made in China, and the tariffs are gonna end his business and make it almost impossible to sell these things. And we talked about all that. But the guy made when he was set up by the Midway with his hint. He said last year he made a half a million.
Speaker 2: Dollars wha selling these little mini shoes total sales.
Speaker 1: How much he got to keep I don't know, but I know his mark up on these things was like three times. And I'll bet he pays practically no taxes, so he's certainly making I would assume he's making a couple hundred thousand dollars a year doing that. Wow. Wow, I just said, I said, I admire people like you because he was very knowledgeable about his product. I mean, he is a guy who clearly put in a tremendous amount of effort, not to mention the hours to figure out how to make a living, compared to some people who have no interest in putting any effort into making a living and just live off of you. Well, that's something I know. You know, It's funny how people.
Speaker 2: Get crazy into something Like a friend of mine or I'm sorry, my neighbor's son is like encyclopedic about bourbon. He knows everything about all the big names in the history and how this bought by this and that, and the original distiller was actually the guy who blah blah blah. But now they're under the label of and I'm like dude, it's corn liquor. I mean, it's it's it's fine. I drink it and I forget my problems for a little bit. And some of it's better than others. But why would you?
Speaker 1: But it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It makes them happy. And mastery of a topic is like I read a great, a great refutation of the notion of that man'splaining ones in which they pointed out that mastery of a topic or a skill is how men gain status among other men and frequently how they land a mate. And it's funny that a woman would be like disdainful of it, but like, I have a reasonable mastery of preparing and delivering a talk radio show, and trust me, my wife's pretty happy about it at this point. But that's that's how males gain status. And in the female world world, it's more coalition building and being a willing and helpful participant in that relationship that articularly group relationship that is interesting.
Speaker 1: And then because we live in a you know, safe, prosperous society here in America, you become you can become an expert on something that's just not important. But we have the evolutionary desire to, like, you know, you know, you're you're sort of making fun of the guy's knowledge of whiskeys and whatnot. You know more about rock and roll trivia than the average person, useless, and not everybody would be into that. No, No, indeed, yeah I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say I'm making fun of it as much as I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: By it and don't get it right.
Speaker 2: But you know, back in the day, and you trip something else in my head about back before we were so safe and affluent and secure, you had damned well be a really good swordsman or a really good rider, or a really good farmer, or a really good gesture for the blacksmith whatever. It had to be relevant. But yeah, you had to be really good at it and be an expert at it, or you'd probably starve.
Speaker 1: This guy's knowledge of sneakers for these little miniature sneakers that he gets made. He started hand painting him and making himself, and then he found a manufacturer in Tijuana, and then he moved that to China as it grew. That's just amazing people like that who carve out a way to make a living like that. Yeah, anyway, the shoe part or the senior feet part just about my flight on Southwest. So I flew southwest, and as anybody who flies Southwest, a lot of times they have people who try to be funny. Who are the air waitresses, And this one had a particularly good good one. I mean she was really good. She had a full on stand up routine, songs, got applause three different times. I mean, it was really pretty impressive. I'll be here till the end of the flight. Thank you. She was really good. But one thing she mentioned that I had never heard before on a flight was, uh, do not take off your shoes. Let me say it again in case you weren't paying attention. Do not take off your shoes. Nobody wants to see your feet, nobody wants that. Please, do not take off your shoes. God, I'd never heard anybody say that before. And there were a couple of collaps. There are probably some groans that I didn't hear. I've never had the slightest desire to take off my shoes on a flight. By more comfortable shoes are your shoes that uncomfortable?
Speaker 3: There is something about certain people and getting on an airplane where that is like the first thing they do.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like they're in a decliner at home.
Speaker 1: I'm really comfortable though. I got comfortable shoes on, and I'm very comfortable.
Speaker 2: It would be often uncomfortable and there's nothing I can do about it because of getting my foot smashed up.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't just just just bare feet, especially, I don't know. I don't want your socked feet either. Your Oh my my feet are exemplary. Oh my gosh, my socks as fresh as a daisy.
Speaker 1: My shoes.
Speaker 4: I take my shoes off, and I asked the passenger next to me to rub my feet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: Got it? So? I was coughing yesterday on this flight, I mean, just you. I felt so far sorry for the people who sit next me. Both flights, for some reason half full, and when they announced that half full flight today, folks, so spread out, you know, enjoy yourself, find a row whatever. Very few people are both flights there and back, I end up with a full row. I sit, I sit by the window and two people sit next to me, and I didn't say anything to them. It's like, what are you doing? This flight's half full? Go back a few rows and sit by yourself. Why are you sitting next to me. Why are we in a four row? That is weird.
Speaker 3: You should have been coughing the entire boarding procedure.
Speaker 1: Ah, that would have been a good But this nice lesbian couple, a married couple that sat down next to me. But I was coughing and sneezing the entire flight, just endlessly, and I felt so bad for me. I turned toward the window and try to blow my nose that direction and cough that direction so it wouldn't be quite as obvious. But it was an hour and a half of I'd have gotten the hell away from you, especially with open seats, yes, many open seats. They could have gone anywhere else, and they just sat there next to me.
Speaker 2: M wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like the last person you ever want to sitting next to. I don't think I've ever heard anybody sneeze or cough as much as I did on that flight. You would think I'm gonna die. This is going to kill me. This is the last thing I ever do sitting next to this nimrod.
Speaker 2: God, drop your pants and take off your shoes before you coughing sneeze next to me.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to, and I try to stifle it. Which makes it makes it worse than you start thinking in your head. I got a cough, I have to cough so bad.
Speaker 2: You go.
Speaker 1: Just oh, it was horrible and Sam was running one roll away. My kids don't sit next to me on the flight. Is that weird? I feel like that's weird. We do not sit together and they don't want to sit near me. Three of us get on the plane and we all sit in through different rows.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: I know, a little odd, but it's a part of it's because we all like window seats. And I mean I don't demand I sit in a window seat, but everybody wants a window seats.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was picture of Jack like arm wrestling the kids. Now I get the window seat. Yeah, I'm the dam get out of my way. Yeah, so sorry to the nice lesbian couple. I sneezed on. I'm not contagious according to the doctor, so you're fine. What I had to.
Speaker 4: Grab the newspaper, gone into the Truman said I'm here for the whole flight people, and just hid. Well, I guess that's it.