Speaker 1: Transmitting, Hey, welcome to the show. Hope you guys had a good weekend. Morning studio many. Barbara Corkoran is on. We're gonna talk to her next from Shark Tank. How much you walked lunchbox.
Speaker 2: One hundred million dollars. He still does Austin Powers and he argues with us how cool and trendy he is.
Speaker 1: But he does Austin Powers. Impressions. Oh huh, is Austin Power still cool? No? Yeah, you think it's cool. You like it, and I know that I liked it, doesn't mean I think it's still cool. They don't make them anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some people aren't going to know the reference.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's dated. Okay, I didn't. It's a flash from the past, blast from the past. Yeah. Anyway, Barbara Corkoran from Shark Tank is gonna be on in just a second one hundred million or amy. You can ask her about us all investing together. Oh for sure, because I know what she's gonna say. Do it. No, she's gonna say, there's no chance. That's how you lose friends. You invet. Lunch always brings these ideas. Barbara Corkoran from Shark Tank. Let's play this song and she is on we'll talk to her next. So Bobby Bones Show interviews. In case you didn't know, it's Barbara Corkran Shark Tank. She's one of the sharks. She's super rich, she's super successful, and she brings it here on the show. She has Barbara in your Pocket, which you go to Barbara in your Pocket dot com. You guy, don't make some money in your no? Yeah, yeah, let's attain some knowledge from shark Barbara Corkran on the Bobby Bones Show.
Speaker 3: Now, Barbara Corkran from Shark Tank.
Speaker 1: My favorite guest that we have on regularly. And Barbara, thank you for coming on the show.
Speaker 4: My pleasure, Bobby.
Speaker 1: I have a thousand questions, like four, but number one always have I know, And mostly it's people reaching out to me and I don't know the answer to them, and so I save them for you. And one that I get a lot is people that follow money advice on TikTok and they're like, my kids are watching TikTok and they're learning things about finances, like how how do you know who to trust of all these videos on TikTok and who's telling you good advice and not?
Speaker 4: You really don't know who to trust. I would suggest kids listen to everything anyway, and hopefully they have some good judgmental along the way that says, maybe this makes sense, I've heard this before. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but they're getting the news through TikTok, all of it, so you might as well get used to it.
Speaker 1: So basically, embrace the fact they are getting everything there and teach them how to wade through it and understand not just money news or learning about money, but just in general.
Speaker 4: I guess. I mean, I wouldn't want to be put in a position of teaching my nineteen year old which money advice is good and what money advice is bad. She wouldn't tolerate it. She wouldn't let me sit down next to her and see what she's watching. But at least she's getting the news. She's informed. She always has an opinion on everything. And I say, you learn that in school, No, I learned it on TikTok. That's the answer. I learned it on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Some of these guys that I follow, they'll do the thing where they're like, you know, when I interview someone, this is the one question I ask them, and then it's always some question that I really wouldn't know the answer to if they asked me whenever you're doing an like do you have that question?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know a question I hate. If you could live your life again, what would you tell yourself as a twelve year old? I like have no answer, Like that's a stupid question. I didn't tell myself anything. I can't imagine what I tell myself.
Speaker 1: I would cheat and be like invest in Apple or something like that, Like I would be totally selfish, like that would when you answer when you interview?
Speaker 4: Can you use it next time?
Speaker 1: When you interview people? Do you have a question that you always ask if you bring someone on your staff?
Speaker 4: The only question I ever want to ask is what they haven't been asked before. I try very hard to ask something very different when I interview people. I don't ask the usual questions because I really want to find out about their personality, the motivation, how aggressive they are, what they liked about their old jobs, what they hated about their boss. I really go deep with them in the interviewing process, so I want to get a sense of the person I have in front of me. I really try to do that. On Shark Tang, too. Most of it's cut out because you only see eight minutes on Shark Tang and we're there for an how half so we get a chance to ask a lot of the deep dive questions here just see at all.
Speaker 1: So Shark Tank, by the way, the season sixteen, which is wild to think. It's sixteen easy, so many I'll be dead doing Shark Tank. It premiered on the sixteenth, so it's up. How long does it take you, guys to shoot a season? Do you knock it all out in a week, A couple weeks?
Speaker 4: We knock it out in about twelve days, twelve long days, I should say eight to fourteen hour days. We work very hard at it, but we get the whole thing in a tank. We have two trips to La, which ain't bad for a whole year of Shark Tek.
Speaker 1: There will be stories and there'll be judges. They'll be interviewed and they'll say like, look, if I'm cranky, it's hard to be in front of me, and I make decisions based on if the day has been long, And you know, judges are making decisions based on how they feel a lot of times with you, guys, do you feel like you make decisions on what you're going to invest in, or maybe you don't. If you're tired and it's been a long day, and there are certain positions you want to be in if you're bringing a pitch in.
Speaker 4: I swear to God, I never in a business that's right before lunch. I'm hungry, I'm grumpy. I've been filming for six hours already, and i just want to eat my lunch. So if you're in front of me right before lunch, you don't get a deal. And in fact, if you actually looked at the deals on Shark Tank, the great majority of the no, it gets no offers. I bed fall right before lunch the end of the day. I say yes to anything. If it moves, I say yes, yes, out of here, let's make a deal, lunchbox.
Speaker 2: Speaking of being dead, Barbara, you said you know you're gonna be dead doing Shark Tank. You're super rich girl.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about retirement, Like, let's chill out and relax for a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's not gonna be happy. It's not gonna involve retirement for me at all. And when I'm dead, I'm sure I'm not gonna buy a fancier coffin and the next guy. No, I just like to work because I really love to work. I really love to work.
Speaker 2: I always have Eddie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Barbara.
Speaker 6: So when I watch Shark Tank, there's like the regular pitches when they pitch some business, but then there's people that like sing jingles and stuff. Does it help to go in with something different or is just the idea have to be good?
Speaker 4: No, it's more important to have the jingle. It's more important to be good TV. You remember, Shark Tank is a business show. But but before that, it's a show, so you got to put on a show. I love a good jingle. The best business I have invested in, or at least made the most money and was a sweatshirt company. And the guys walked up to the stage and just sign a jingle. They had no answers, they had nothing. But I made eighteen million dollars on that deal.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, she bought the sizzle. That's the sizzle jingle. Wow wow wow. How do you feel about this being Marx? Last season?
Speaker 4: I was sad. You know, one way, we all did our best job. I think you'll see the best season on Shark Tank because we wanted to like perform moments for Mark, so he'd remember us and really miss us. So we put everything into the season. D really. But on the other end, it was like watching your old brother, older brother leave the table at home. It's like, where are you going? And you're leaving us. It was kind of sad. So it was both fantastic as well as it was said.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about this question for a long time, So bear with me here. If you could go back and tell Barbara in season one anything, Yeah, what what would you tell her?
Speaker 4: Don't pay attention to the businesses, just focus on the entrepreneur. You lose all your money on good businesses and make all your money on great entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: That's the truth investing in talent.
Speaker 4: That took me three years, three years to realize that I wasted so much money in those first three years. I still warned the money I lost Morgan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you've had so many business and life accomplishments.
Speaker 1: Which one has been the most important to you?
Speaker 4: Having a baby after trying seven years, I couldn't do it through in vitro. I tried everything. Just getting that call from the doctor on the tenth day saying again and again, I'm sorry, you're not pregnant was the worst chapter of my life those seven years was when I was in my late forties. Having a baby for me, without a doubt, was the happiest news and happiest chapters of my life.
Speaker 1: Shark Tanks Season sixteen airs Friday's nationwide and ABC eight seven Central. And you know the story that comes with you is she's invested over one hundred and over one hundred businesses on Shark Tank. Do you have like a separate folder of just a Shark Tank businesses or are they involved in all of your investments?
Speaker 4: Actually it's more like one hundred and fifty by this point, but no, I do not have a folder. What's important for me is to remember which are the good ones and to help them as much as I can. I think I mentioned to you in the last show. I have all my entrepreneurs in a picture frame on my wall because I want to know who my entrepreneurs are, because I forget from season to season. But I also want them on the wall because I want to remember who are my good ones. The minute they meet with me and start playing victim, I turn that picture upside down and I don't really spend any much more time with them because a victim never succeeds on Shark Tank. Yeah, they might have a great pitch, they might get my money, but the minute they start playing victim, I realize they're never going to have a hit.
Speaker 1: Amy.
Speaker 5: So we've all worked together here for years and we're friends too, And something that comes up on the show is often.
Speaker 4: Feel like you or I watch a good TV show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so something that comes off amongst us is different investments and stuff we should do together. And Lunchbox in particular is always bringing different pitches. And I guess I just ask you, you know, knowing our dynamic here a little bit, should we invest together?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that a wise move for us?
Speaker 4: A terrible move. I've only lost the whole life invested with them. Stay away from each other, buy lunch and put a community money together for good lunch. That's about it.
Speaker 1: That's what I think too, because the guy that brings the ideas.
Speaker 4: Writing each other too much, too much to lose. Think about it that way.
Speaker 1: What about laundromats, You feel like that's a good investment generally, Yeah, I generally do.
Speaker 4: Because there's cash. Most laundromats don't report the cash goes in that pocket. Constantly. Yeah, people are constantly coming in and putting coins on the machine. I love the idea that you get coins and you could add them off and put it in the bank, you know, and that's good. I wish I had a londer, Matt.
Speaker 1: Tell me with our friends. Yes, yes, absolutely, Barbara in your pocket. Like, if there are people and they're like, man, I really want to know about being an entrepreneur. How can Barbara in your pocket actually help them?
Speaker 4: It's the best thing they could do is to join me in my little clubhouse I have. All entrepreneurs have one thing in their mind. What they want to do is they want to build a success of themselves, and they want to do it through building a business. I have the answers, I know where my talents lie. I realize what I don't have, But I give great advice. I can read the person who's asking the question, know exactly what they should be doing and how they should shift their game and how they'll succeed. And then we support each other. It's like a club. It's really like a clubhouse of like minded entrepreneurs who really want to have a big success. I mean, I think that's a really good place to start. To surround yourself with good people.
Speaker 1: You guys can check out Barbara inourpocket dot com and we've talked about it before, and I encourage over bay to check it out and then check out Shark Tank. Season sixteen premiered on the sixteenth, but it's on every Friday, ABC eight seventh Central. It is Mark Cuban's last season, and Barbara, we really appreciate the time. Thank you so much for sharing all of your insights.
Speaker 2: I's over.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna miss you. Guys. Went too fast.
Speaker 1: It always goes so fast, and we're gonna go and not invest in the laundro Matt right after this interview, right, guys, Yes, all right, but you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm gonna do. I'm gonna send you my worst business and ask you to invest it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would do that because I invest in talent and you are a pure talent. So I'm in Barbara, say what I learned right there. I'm good. All have a great day.
Speaker 2: Snous sin bar.
Speaker 1: There's a question to be ben Hello, Bobby Bones. I am mid upper thirties, happily married. I wear my ring all the time, but sometimes men still come up and ask if I'm married. Recently, I was out for drinks and I came up asked if I was married. I said yes, He's still insisted on buying me a drink. I thought to myself, man, times are tough, ours are expensive, so I let him. He stayed around, talked to me, me and my friends, and then finally bailed. I told my husband he was upset, saying I should have never accepted the drink. I think he was a little too upset at the situation given I had my wedding ring on, told the guy I wasn't married, and then he still did it. Is it wrong to accept a drink if you are happily married? Signed, happily married Mary. Great question. The answer is no. What's wrong is to hang out with the guy after he buys you the drink. If anybody wants to buy you a drink, a girl or guy, doesn't matter. If they buy you a drink, make sure that put anything in it, like make sure you see it, and then they buy you a drink. Great, thank you for the drink. But where it gets a little shady is if they like hang around and want to talk. Because a girl could buy you a drink, I could buy you.
Speaker 2: Drink all good, But if they like try to have a little conversation and try to strike something up, that's where it gets to be a bit dicey.
Speaker 1: Amy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think that it may send him a message to like, oh, okay, yeah I.
Speaker 3: Can get the skirl a drink. And now she's still talking to you.
Speaker 1: She maybe she's interested, so but can she accept a drink?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's okay, But yeah, you walk away. But I think the safer that is just to say, no, I'm good, Hey.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the drink, really appreciate that, and turn just turned, turn you.
Speaker 5: Back all the way to them, or no, I'm good, I can.
Speaker 3: Get my own drink.
Speaker 1: It also teaches a dude not to go and buy drinks for married women. Bro buy drink from Marry Walmant. She's just turning your back. It's just a drink.
Speaker 5: Look at the ring, like, don't you what that still means? Ring on the ring finger rings means married.
Speaker 1: What I would say is the fact that you what upset the husband, probably as you told him so I told him, Oh gosh, that's where it is. I just want to told him. But but you don't hang around with the person if they do. It's value that drink. But if you just want to except a drink, why not, that's it. That's breaking a lot of people in trouble. I'm sorry, all right, close it up, my lunchbox. What happened?
Speaker 2: I tell you guys, my wife doesn't have a sense of humor. And it's struck again because we're at the costume store Halloween's coming up, and my four year old sees a toilet costume. He's like, I want to be a toilet because that's their humor. They love their humors. You're a humor y woop and toilet and all that. And he's like, I want to be a toilet. And my wife is dead set against him being a toilet.
Speaker 1: But you think it'd be okay? Yeah, why not?
Speaker 2: It's Halloween. He wasn't be a toilet. Let him be a toilet.
Speaker 1: What's the toilet costume consist of? Though?
Speaker 2: It's literally just like a toilet and your head comes out of the seat, like the toilet's down your body and the lid is behind on top of your head and your head is coming out of the toilet.
Speaker 1: Does anything come off the stomach like the bowl? Yeah? And is there a hole to put stuff in. Oh I didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean it was in the package, so I didn't really bust it out. I think that's where you may get in trouble, sure when you start as put their Snickers' bars in there.
Speaker 6: Absolutely if it's a clean toilet though, Okay, what audio you have?
Speaker 2: I just have my I just wanted to get your guys this perspective. And this is my wife saying why she doesn't want him to be a toilet.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it just grows in dirty.
Speaker 8: Well, he's not gonna be I mean, it's a toilet costume. It ain't a real toilet.
Speaker 3: Well obviously, but it just poor taste or something like.
Speaker 1: He's way cutter than that. He doesn't need to be a toilet.
Speaker 8: But he wanted to be a toilet, so, I mean, and that's the whole point of Halloween.
Speaker 1: Let them be what they want to be, like gross and inappropriate.
Speaker 8: So would you rather him be Freddy Krueger or a toilet Freddy Krueger? Oh my gosh, okay, guys, please tell me my wife's crazy.
Speaker 1: What if you wanted to be a Wiener? Well, like, what do you mean? Do you no? You know what? I mean, oh, what if you want to be a Wiener? You saw the wiener costume. That's the thing you said. It's when they get to be what they want to be. I'm wondering where your line is. Oh yeah, I'm letting me be a Wiener. What No, you wouldn't. Yeah, man for the second. See he has a line too, right, Okay. I think if she doesn't want him to be a toilet, since you do have a line, you need to respect her line. And I don't think he needs to be the toilet. It's funny. It's a funny costume. There's even grow I don't know if it's the one, but there is one where the legs are also coming out of it over the toilet. Oh no, no, that one. That one. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna side with your wife. I don't think the toilet is that gross if it's just a toilet. But I think since you also admit you have a line, I think you need to respect her line. But it's a toilet. It ain't like it's a wiener. That's a lot different. I mean, so what did you guys decide? So he's not the toilet? Won? So are you saying.
Speaker 2: What we did is we were like, hey, let's wait a couple days and if you still want to be the toilet, maybe we'll go back and get it is how we phrased it. And then my wife's just never going to bring it up again. So she won the argument. She won the battle. I mean, it wasn't really a battle for the guy that claims he wears pants.
Speaker 1: There was no battle.
Speaker 2: I was just like, you are ridiculous and you're irrational, but I mean, it's not worth fighting over, Like I don't care that much. It feels like that's what somebody says when they lost a fight. You know, I'll time fighting over at all. Yeah, I'm sorry, buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had to flush that idea. Sorrst okay one.
Speaker 9: That it's time for the good news.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Back in nineteen sixty eight, there are six buddies attending school together. They're in college, Like, Hey, this Thursday, let's get together for a beer at the bar. It's they go to the bar and they have a beer and they kind of like each other. They find out they all like soccer, kind of.
Speaker 1: Like the same team.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's get together next Thursday and have a beer and every Thursday since nineteen sixty eight, they get together for a beer.
Speaker 1: Are they all alive still?
Speaker 2: It says that they are all still alive. They started talking about soccer relationships and now they talk about health and pension.
Speaker 1: Plans and what hurts yeah, what hurts? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it comes down to them having shared core values and even during the pandemic, they got together on Zoom on Thursday and they had that beer.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. That's awesome. Good story, that's what it's all about. That was telling me something good. Usually Lunchbox does the bonehead story. This is Amy's personal bonehead story of the day. Okay, what happened.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely a bonehead and I'm admitting it. But my car, when it gets on empty, it says, please refuel, and I know that I can still drive a little ways on that.
Speaker 3: It's when it says refuel immediately.
Speaker 1: It gives you two refuel options.
Speaker 2: So when it says please refuel, you see, you're all good for a few more minutes.
Speaker 1: Day day. Where are you going?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: What do you have going on?
Speaker 1: So it's like a two layer.
Speaker 5: It's before don't hit me with the you need to hurry up and refuel.
Speaker 3: It's bad for your car to do that. I know. I've known this my whole life. This is just the way I am.
Speaker 5: Well, my friend needed to borrow my car and I said it needs gas. So I even gave her, like my Costco card. She was going to be near there, and I was like, get get Costco, like, gave her the money.
Speaker 3: You're good to go.
Speaker 5: So uh she did, she thought, because I said it could go a little bit. She ran another errand before she went to Costco and she ran out.
Speaker 1: Oh, she ran out a gas in your car on the highway.
Speaker 5: So I get a void message, like a voice text from her that's like, hey, call me back. I'm on the side of the road, and I feel horrible, but it this the sign didn't say the thing was.
Speaker 7: The thing was, Hey, Amy, you said you didn't need gas right away, So I ran one errand before putting gas in your car, and now I'm sitting on the side of the road and I think I ran out of gas.
Speaker 1: Call me back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you called her back, No, this is it became a whole ordeal.
Speaker 3: Do you know what had to happen? Wait to call it tow truck.
Speaker 1: How did you not get just go get gas and put a little hands tried. That didn't work.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we just needed more. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was so dry.
Speaker 5: So this girl's husband, this girl's husband had to come or on the side of like a narrow road.
Speaker 3: She's not even on the highway like matterie lane. It's like side of the road, like causing traffic issues.
Speaker 5: The tow truck comes, goes the gas station, put gas in it.
Speaker 3: Everything's fine, But I just.
Speaker 1: Said so the tow truck did have to tell you they just want to get more gas.
Speaker 3: No, the tow truck towed the.
Speaker 1: Car to the gas station.
Speaker 5: Yes, so this this ended up costing me more.
Speaker 1: The tow truck towed the car to the gas station to fill it up with gas. Correct, So you tried to pour gas in it, but.
Speaker 3: With a gas can correct, didn't work. I guess we needed more.
Speaker 1: A gallon of gas.
Speaker 3: Kids, I don't know.
Speaker 5: At first, I thought, well, maybe now all the damage is done and the car's just like I'm over it, like I'm tired of you running me on e and something else broke like we.
Speaker 3: Didn't know the issue.
Speaker 5: But once we took it to the gas station and we could get like a lot of gas in there.
Speaker 3: It was good to go.
Speaker 1: So now that car is good? What did you learn from this?
Speaker 5: Thank you to the tow truck guy for only charging me one fifty because he said he.
Speaker 3: Would originally he would charge more than that.
Speaker 2: Had a block that's different. Probably so he did he have to put it up on a flatbed.
Speaker 3: Yes, So not only that, she derailed her day.
Speaker 5: So now I know I need to say, yes you can if you.
Speaker 1: Your car with gas before you give it to somebody.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was doing her favor. She needs listen.
Speaker 5: I said it's gonna need gas, just not right away.
Speaker 1: Because it didn't say macro worldview. It's like, maybe you don't leave it on e just no.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 5: I own my responsibility. And now I'm gonna start refeeling at a quarter of a tank. It's so it's my new challenge. But I know I'm not the only person out there that's built like this. Other people listening right now they feel me, and other people listening right now are like, she's an idiot.
Speaker 1: I'm rooting for you. That's where I am. I'm rooting for you. You did stop hitting your snooze button on the alarm. I did, and I think you can probably do this. I'm sorry for your friend.
Speaker 3: I'm able to progress.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A guy went to cameo and paid these two influencers, same same influence. They have brothers, I think, identical twins to tell his wife he wants a divorce. So he wrote, like tell them, So here we go. Here's a clip.
Speaker 2: Someone ordered a cameo from a I said, they want to get a divorce.
Speaker 1: What's up, Victoria.
Speaker 2: We just want to say that David loved you so much, but he doesn't love you anymore and he wants.
Speaker 9: To get a divorce.
Speaker 1: Du separatis. So I wonder if it was a joke, because that's what that's the whole thing. There are two blonde dudes. If you ever see if you ever see a family guy, and you have those two like Swedish dudes.
Speaker 10: That are like, I don't know, they're kind of doing that thing. But I don't know if it was real or not. But you don't joke about the you do if you guys joke about that. Oh, I don't know any couple of jokes about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could have been an inside joke or if or that's the harshest way to ever tell someone you want to divorce, yeah, is to pay something. It doesn't matter who the cameo is. That was just really stupid.
Speaker 2: If you pay anybody, you pay ercle to do a cameo to tell somebody.
Speaker 1: You want a divorce, Like that's that's hardcore. That's pretty funny. Officials are encouraging you to be lazy and not rake leaves this year, especially in Michigan. Michigan's Department Natural Resources is encouraging people to not rake leaves because it's better for the ecosystem. Now, I raked a lot of the leaves as a kid when it wasn't mode the yard time of a knock on doors and ask if I could. I hated raking leaves, especially in my own yard, which I did not get paid for, because they just came back, much like the yard that continues to grow ric the leaves continue to fall. It was awful. I hated raking leaves and I wish that this would have been an excuse that I could have used then. But for all the kids that are listening out there, if your parents make you rake leaves, I want you to hear my voice. Tell them you heard from me on the show today that they're asking leaves not to be raked for the ecosystem, for the environment, and if your family, if your parents care about the environment, they will not make you rake leaves.
Speaker 6: And all the landscapers are like, do not listen to this voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true too, you need to regular leaves. I do want to play this voicemail from Deb in Wisconsin. Deb was on the show. We played her initial voicemail. I don't know if we have that, but she called and she was like, hey, listen to the show and you could hear her gasting go off. So I just got on the phone and gave her some money. Here she has what you called back go ahead.
Speaker 8: Hello, Bobby Bone I talked to last week and.
Speaker 5: You sent me some money on my cash app.
Speaker 4: That was really really really really really appreciated.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. It really helped out.
Speaker 9: It really went a long way.
Speaker 4: I also got a said X package today with a little gift card that says from Lunchbuck.
Speaker 3: So I scratched it off and I got eighteen dollars on my Walmart gift card. Thank you Lunchbox.
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: That was the free turkey or ham The gift card that I founded the old building, that it was just on a shelf. There was a stack of them and it was like free turkey or ham. I didn't know it was just a gift card, or I had cut them all for myself, Like I, you.
Speaker 1: Just take the credit. I don't have to say you would have done different. I didn't I know that you could just use it as cash.
Speaker 2: And what's funny is when we did this segment, I mean people, I'd be like, I didn't do anything. All the comments were like, Bobby's the greatest human, Bobby's so amazing. It's like, hello, people, did you all of a sudden lose your hearing when I said, guys, I got this gift card in my pocket and I'm gonna give it away.
Speaker 1: I don't even saying that I got no credit. Well that's very nice of you. I think probably if I were guessing, it's because you found it at work, didn't know what it was, just mailed it hoping with the work money, and you sent it with work postage. But it was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could have kept it for myself, but I had it in my pocket. But you didn't know you keep it for yourself or you wouldn't. Well, I kept one for myself and I had an extra.
Speaker 1: Man, I oh, like fifty off for eighteen dollars. Well, I didn't know that. I thought were the rest of them.
Speaker 2: I gave some of the people in the glassroom, some people in the production pits.
Speaker 1: And you didn't even know it works. No, just handing them out. Did you guys get eighteen dollars gift cards?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He must get them all the pits. He probably kept the nice thing you get. He's like, I can't remember gif.
Speaker 2: Carty said free turkey or ham and so I didn't realize it could be used as cash.
Speaker 1: I thought I couldn't eat fifty turkeys. That's a good point, So I thought that's why game all the way. Well, thank you for calling us back. We really appreciate that. Netflix is airing a two part documentary, Jerry Springer Fights Camera Action. It premiere is January seventh. Jerry Springer died last year of pancreatic cancer. For those I would even say Morgan's age that don't know, Jerry Springer was a cultural phenomenon. You missed it. You're ten years younger than us, But it got so big, and this is a daytime television show. It got so big they would have daytime viewing parties at like Wings restaurants at like and they would put up we watched Jerry Springer here at one pm. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. People would just yelled at the mall like we do now as a joke. But you kind of got to be over thirty five to get it.
Speaker 6: But that was the thing to say.
Speaker 1: Even his spinoff, Guy Steve, but Wilco Stebald, He's had show for like ten years now. It hasn't been massively. It's still on. I believe it's still on. It was on Frill forever. Yeah, huh. So what do you know about Jerry Springer Morgan?
Speaker 7: I mean, really, the only thing I know about is that Lunchbox is on it at one point, is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Like I until I google it, I wouldn't have even known what he looked like.
Speaker 1: He was the mayor of Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: He was a mayor turned Jerry like well, he.
Speaker 1: Was always Jerry Springer. He hadn't only turned Jerry Springer. But yes, he was a mayor of Cincinnati. And if I'm correct, he was taken out of office and we can fact check this real quick, because he wrote a check and his name was on the check for something that was not wonderful. Oh, I believe that's what it was. I believe that there was somebody writing a check and he got caught up in that.
Speaker 3: Then he got his own TV show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not from not because of that. They weren't like, you wrote a bad check, We love it, let's do a show. He turned into a talk show host and then he would have people on and they'd fight and they.
Speaker 5: Would get they'd you know, did everybody fight every episode?
Speaker 1: No, But once it got massive, there was always some drama because that's what that's why it got so big, and it was like, wow, the ratings are really up when there's big drama. So every episode was way dramatic.
Speaker 6: And then the crowd got to like challenge it turned into wrestling.
Speaker 7: So was it always two different people that came on there and that was a purpose?
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: It was initially just a daytime talk show where Jerry would be like, Okay, let's find who the dad is you're dating, so and so it was just a human dynamic talk show. It's kind of a bit how Oprah started, not as crazy, but like Phil Donahue people in their stories and then you try to pull things and be entertaining. But yeah, the story is Jerry Springer thirty years old, resigned, So he wasn't a mayor, Mike, he was a not at this point when it happened, I guess, but he was previously Yes, so he was mayor at one point. Then he took a city council position and it came out that he wrote checks to a place where you make women friends. Got it? Why would you write a.
Speaker 2: Check to a place because that's back in the day. No, no, why would you?
Speaker 1: You would never, Yes, you would never write and sign your name on anything that goes to anything illegal. I don't care if it's the twenties or if it's today. Yeah, that's pretty It's like even if he's in a credit card today on something illegal, don't if you're going to do it, have cash so they can't track it back. So yeah, Lunchbox was on the show. I don't know what year was that Lunchbox. It was the fall of nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: They got in and they flew me to Chicago and it was such an amazing experience.
Speaker 1: So when you pitched it to it because it was a fake story, right, correct? Do you think they knew it was fake?
Speaker 2: No, they make you sign an They made you sign a contract saying they could sue you from up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, maybe it's five hundred thousand. And I was seventeen. I was like, whatever, I can't sign a legal document. I'll sign it, no problem.
Speaker 1: Let's go. So what was your story?
Speaker 2: It was that me and Kamika were dating for two and a half years, and then Jennifer and Derek they were friends with us and they were dating for two years, but they were taking us on the show because Derek and Kamika had been cheating on us with each other for a year and a half and they just had to let it out.
Speaker 1: The weird part was he said two and a half years, and he's seventeen when he does the show, So that means he's like fourteen and a half, right, And they're like treating that like it's serious. Also, Lunchbox goes on, he looks twelve, like tie shirt, baby face, buzz haircut, looks twelve. And you know they say his name here Dan, but here you go, here's Lunchbox on the Jerry Springer Show. Damn, welcome to show. How long? How long have you been going here with Tamika? About two and a half years? Two and a half years. How old were you when you started?
Speaker 8: Oh regard what how old were you when you started with her?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: Fifteen?
Speaker 8: But obviously there's something long in front of the Jerry Springer.
Speaker 1: You even think it will be like kids Springer. They put him on a seventeen year old. That's crazy to think about.
Speaker 6: Did lunchbox really not hear him or was he trying to like buy time to think of how to respond.
Speaker 1: It's probably pretty loud that huh, that's pretty loud. I mean the crowd's going. I mean, you understand, where's no speaker from Jerry to him? And when I walk out.
Speaker 2: I don't think you understand how much the crowd erupted in laughter and they were I mean there was people falling out of their chairs. I looked so young. Yeah, And they put me in those clothes, so they gave me a tie that is like six times too big and I walk out and I mean, ah, Jerry's laughing like I mean, because he had never seen me either until I walk out on the stage and so he's laughing trying to control his laughter.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. Man. What did your parents say about the whole thing leading up to it?
Speaker 2: Oh, they had to sign the parents, they had to sign the forms and.
Speaker 1: They knew you were lying. And they also were like this would hilarious. This is awesome. They're like, this is the greatest thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Like they had to drive me to Kinko so I could fax back the copies at like midnight.
Speaker 1: And after it was over, were they there or they stay home? No, they stayed home.
Speaker 2: I went by myself, me and Kamika.
Speaker 1: And so how long until they aired it from when you shot it?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Like two months? Months and a half. Could you talk about it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean did you go to school and be like, oh, yeah, I went to school. I was abody, but I was like I was in high school.
Speaker 1: And I remember it.
Speaker 2: Was a hat day because it was like home and I wore a free like a construction helmet, and then I was like, man, I gotta leave early because I gotta get my flight.
Speaker 1: Just cogo.
Speaker 2: I'm going on spring Like you're not going on Springer, You're not going on Springer and Boom.
Speaker 1: I was on Springer Pools when you came back? Were you like?
Speaker 4: I was on?
Speaker 1: Yes? And did everybody at school watch it that day? Oh?
Speaker 2: A lot of the teachers let people watch it. Some teachers were You know how teachers are. They think they're so much cooler and they're smart. They're gonna enforce the rules and we're not gonna watch a lot of people skip school. Like, we went to Meredith's Massie's house at a big old watch party in her living room.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. Did anybody ever recognize you from that show? One Hunt all the time? It was so big dayby like you are you the kid that was on Jerry Springer? Listen? I was in college.
Speaker 2: And I had told my roommates or whatever and hey man, I was on Springer, Like yeah right, yeah right. They didn't believe me. And we went to Austin one weekend and we were getting ice cream and Amy's ice cream and the arboretum and this dude looks up for me on the camera and goes.
Speaker 1: Man, that's that dude. It was on Springer on the counter. Yeah it's a camera.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah whatever. And then when I was working at Costco.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: One of the workers like, hey, I saw you on Springer. Yeah, I got recognized. I was about the start of fame.
Speaker 1: Chance you make the documentary, and then I was on Talk Soup. But you think you'll make the documentary on Netflix.
Speaker 2: I can't believe they didn't ask my opinion about something like why didn't they come interview me?
Speaker 1: I was one of the biggest stars. I worry you. Scandalous Affairs Part two.
Speaker 9: I think is what my my January seventy, it's time for the good news.
Speaker 6: As we know, Hurricane Milton toured through Florida, devastating a lot of homes, including Frank and Sandy's. They've lived in this home for forty one years. Their home completely gone. But it's okay. They have a place to stay all because South Sarasota County Habitat for Humanity and Southwest Florida Camper Rentals gave him an RV to live in while they rebuild their home free of charge.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Habout Humanity is awesome. Like I've been invited to go out and build. Mostly I just will give money because then i'll break stuff. I know I'll build, like the house don't be no, but there'll be something wrong. Like I've been to a couple of them, and like I I'm always afraid to like actually do the work because that'll be what breaks in the house and it'll come back to me.
Speaker 6: But every group that does it, I've been a part, there's always someone that doesn't know what they're.
Speaker 1: Well that's me, And I'm like, I'll get the drinks, yes, and I'll do it if you more dollars. I'm like, I've been to the site. Hey, they need that guy. I know I'll carry stuff.
Speaker 3: They need the carriers.
Speaker 1: I know that's good. I just have to accept who I am in this world. A great story by both Habitat Humanity and the Camper Place. What was their name, Yeah, Southwest Florida camera Rentals. Take shout out to those guys. All right, there you go, that's what it's all about. That was telling me something good. Freaked out flyers spotted what appeared to be a rat running a above an overhead bend and a Spirit Airlines flight from Dallas to Los Angeles. So they're on the flight and they're a Bairel rat running. Here's a passenger documenting it from their phone. God it's a massive rat.
Speaker 2: The camera zooms in and you see the silhouette.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's not a gerbil, that's a that's a rat, right, super rat. Yeah, because it was so big and it's running up in all the baggage. Wow, now, you guys, I've never flown Spirit. I've been there off the Southwest American Delta United, you know, never flown Spirit. You guys were telling me you have to pay extra for every little thing.
Speaker 6: Spirit is interesting. Yeah, it's a very cheap flight. I mean, the the very basic flight where you just take yourself, your body, the clothes on your back, and the rat. The rat is pretty cheap. Everything else you gotta pay for. Yeah, the rat got up there, bought a cheap ticket. That's the only way you can get home. Five goes West. Was someone's bag somewhere out there.
Speaker 1: That's a good movie. Was awesome. An American tail is an American tale. Was awesome. Played that one more time, right, this is the guy you can watching the rat. What's funny is in the overhead it's well lit and the silhouette is the shadow. Basically this massive rat that you see running like in the play. I mean, I guess I could have even at an airport or a hangar right when they want to the hangerut. But it's it looks like a raccoon. It's so big.
Speaker 3: I think it's a powsome or or a raccoon.
Speaker 1: I think they look like a raccoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks way too big to be a rat.
Speaker 1: Honestly, does it? Okay? I think raccoons. I think they get a bad rap. That's more than a super rat? Is it? Is it more or less gross if it's a raccoon. Yeah, raccoons are cute. It's still a wild animal. And they eat trash man all right. And that is the end of the first half of the podcast. The end of the first half of the podcast.
Speaker 2: That is the endother PTEP of.
Speaker 1: The podcast, that is the end another for tip of the podcast.
Speaker 2: You can go to podcast to or you can wait a podcast to come out.