Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer, an iHeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: Have we been recording?
Speaker 3: We have?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that like? I don't know what's happening?
Speaker 4: Is there like a playlist?
Speaker 2: Michael is jamming out to that song go ahead, Baby did again. I'll do backrock, but think of it. You did it so good? Yeah you actually it's so good. Now he's all jealous, easting got it, so he's going to replay that the opening tune. I'm more of like, oh, you love my hair? Just spot its.
Speaker 1: Ago, not like that, thank you. It's not her hair, right, you like my hair? She thinks, just spot it? I see, I want it.
Speaker 2: You don't know, guys just looking at me like I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know who sings that one? Who sings it? A? So you guys didn't have the playlist going this one. No, he just likes that one song. He's been like jamming too, So Mike's been singing Ariana Grande. I've been walking around just like super hyper this morning. So happy Monday, ladies and gentlemen, this Monday. This is super exciting. Hey, but I really want to get into something because it's been on the news. It's been a topic of conversation and I really want to debate it with all of you guys. I think that was gonna be my question too. Really yeah, Okay, So, honey, I know you've been dead to the world for the past couple of weeks because you've had that awful told. Still he's still there.
Speaker 5: Still getting over it, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I can tell it, I can hear it. So basically, did you hear any of the news going on about Felicity Huffman and Laura Laughlin? Okay, so Felicity Huffman Lori Laughlin were arrested and Becky the Queen of Home Aren't and aunt Beckie. So Lauri Laughlin got arrested for and Felicity Haffen. Basically, the FBI raided their house and arrested her. Amazing, not really, but there was like a huge investigation because of the college scheme shames schemes, the scheme shame.
Speaker 3: Seme.
Speaker 2: I read the up to day that I got really into. Okay, so why don't you give the background since you have all the the major.
Speaker 1: Long story short, there was a man who was running like an underground scheme where sheame.
Speaker 2: We're really rich.
Speaker 6: That's not the rich people say, we're really really like not even like rich, but like major company execs and CEOs and like obviously these actresses, people with.
Speaker 1: A lot of money were paying him so that he could ensure that their children got into Yale, Harvard, usc UH, Northwestern, George, all the these major universities.
Speaker 5: On athletic scholarships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and also like Felicity Haffman paid I think it was fifteen thousand.
Speaker 2: For a better essays. So he had someone like into the community, into the college.
Speaker 1: He had like ten people around the country who would go take the test for your kids. But like, I mean some of these people were paying half a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Somebody paid a million. I know.
Speaker 1: It's like really, I mean I was watching this thing and there like holy blue collar crime, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, but like that's a lot of money. Okay, So I'm on two you get is that what you were?
Speaker 1: That's what I was can ask because I'm like, I don't have kids, so I know there's a huge bit like oh, but you would do anything for your kids, And so that's my question, Like what's the extent.
Speaker 2: I have two very different sides to this, and everyone's like, oh, those rich spoiled kids. Well here's the deal, if you had the money to do it. Now, I don't know which side I'm on. Two very different sides, because I can see two different sides. The one side is, well, people pay for private school. That's giving your child a life of you know, maybe better learning, better quality of school, better classroom. So you're paying. You know, I have a girlfriend that's paying over thirty thousand dollars a year in just private school. And for us, I'm like, well, I don't. I can't afford. We can't afford thirty thousand dollars a year for private school. And the public school it's it's fine. So you know, you know, we're sending Julie to you know, obviously the public school in Nashville is amazing, so you know we're good there. But I mean, what's the Is there really a difference because people are paying for private school? I get and this is where I get where Jolie, what if here's the thing. I was a terrible test taker. Yeah I didn't even take the SATs. I only took the acts. And I mean because I knew I wasn't going to college, but I did awful because I was a bad test taker. If my daughter was a bad test taker but she had the qualifications, yes, if you needed the score to be in the school, I would do anything for her. And I don't know, I guess that might make me a bad parent. But she has to sustain how she is now in that school then, so that's on her. Then if I get if I can get help her get her in, then it just like someone's gonna help someone to get into a film that they know somebody.
Speaker 1: I think the difference between this is though from what I read, it was like five hundred pages. I didn't read all five hundred, but like none of it was a lot of like, Okay, we need to ensure that my son doesn't find out. There was a situation where she was like the guy one of the Dad's emails, the main guy, and he was like, my son was just an orientation and they asked him how he feels about doing track and how excited he is, and he literally was like I'm not in track, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And so I think so then the dad people and Laurie too was said that her daughter was in the rowing crew Rowing Crew, and so I don't really necessarily agree with that side of them. This is the thing.
Speaker 1: These people have so much money. It's like, get a tutor, get this, get that. They can all afford it.
Speaker 2: But I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't blame the kids because I don't know if these kids were dying to go to that school as much as their parents were. I mean, these families were like you know what I mean, it's like the parents really wanted them to.
Speaker 5: It's one hundred percent more for the parents to be like my son or daughter goes.
Speaker 1: To and I exactly exactly, but like one so though, because I did, I disagree, But if Jolie for me personally, I think if I don't care.
Speaker 2: I told you I don't care if Joli goes or not. And we've had major disagreements about that.
Speaker 5: She's going to college.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but if she chooses not to, I can't get upset with her because that's their life that.
Speaker 1: She's way more understanding than these like high exec families were like, oh no, you're going to Yale, especially.
Speaker 7: The people that have the money to that half a million dollars or a million dollars to spend to get their child into that school.
Speaker 5: It's so the parent.
Speaker 7: It is a lot of it has to do with their ego because they are high end execs that had that education or didn't have it and want to say that their kids have it. But also I'm not saying it's purely selfish based on the parents. It is all so like you said, honey, to get them in the door, like we do anything to get Joeli or jas their foot in the door. In the it's up to them to be able to maintain the grades, to stay at a Harvard or to stay at a Columbia or these schools that they're trying to get into.
Speaker 2: It's I will say, though, what bothers me about that is the kids that really work hard, and that's a mare. And that's where that's where that's the other side where.
Speaker 1: Quotes it was like, I forget which parents said it, but it's not funny.
Speaker 2: But but you're laughing.
Speaker 1: But I'm laughing no, because she goes, Okay, well, we just need to ensure that they get in here.
Speaker 2: We need to ensure that she gets into this school and not just ASU.
Speaker 1: I went to ASU, so obviously the old these parents, That's what I mean is the parents were like, oh no, no, no, you're not going here, You're you know what I mean. It's like, what does it matter where the kid goes to school. The kid's gonna part, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: Ryan Seacrest was talking about it, you know, to bring up in My Heart Radio, you know, plug plug. But Ryan and Kelly were talking about it, and I agreed with Kelly when she said, no, I want my children to work for it. And that's the thing that's that's on the one side of the spectrum where I want Jolie and Jays to work for everything, and I don't want to just be like, oh, here, here's some money, pay it off. But having said that, if my child has, for example, Jolie has a speech delay, she's been yeah, you know, we've been working with that with her. If I had an opportunity to pay to get her to a better place, I would take you.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 1: But that's the argument is that, you know, I know a lot of kids too who had learning disabilities. So they had to go to a doctor, they had to get a note that they allow special time for their tests.
Speaker 2: So that's the argument is like, well, that's not fair.
Speaker 1: My child has a severe testing disability, but you're going to pay fifty.
Speaker 2: Grand so that he can do so. Kelly was saying something with the Kelly and Ryan Show. She was saying that that test is exhausting for the child. Yeah, I mean where it's just like that child with the disability, it takes so much out of them that they are physically exhausted. So sometimes it would be easier just to be like, here's the fifty k to But is that do you do you teach your children that that's hard? That's that's That's where I'm like, I would would you break the law for your child? Yes? Okay, then because I think that's the basic question.
Speaker 5: Well, again it depends.
Speaker 2: It depends. Yes, if someone hurt my child, I'd go probably to jail. Okay.
Speaker 1: But that and that's what the argument is, like these people didn't. It was like a selfish crime because most of these kids don't even know their parents did it.
Speaker 7: And the different the difference too, is it's different investing the money and paying to get additional help or expert expert help for your children. That's one thing, that's fine, But what they're doing is basically saying buying them an a or buying them a test grade or buying them admission into a school, which I don't think is right.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: One can say that if because of a high end exact, because of where they went to school and the alumni following and stuff like that, that maybe they know the person on the emissions board and they got in because of who you know. Well, that's just life in gener that's one thing. But paying to get into the front of the line.
Speaker 1: And I think it was the paying versus like the the intricate lying.
Speaker 2: It was like, let's photoshop our child to.
Speaker 7: Make them look well, yeah, in there going under the false pretense of them being a student athlete, which is taken away from opportunities for a student athlete.
Speaker 2: I agree with that who is.
Speaker 5: Trying to get it.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't have gotten into JMU if it wasn't for football, of course, and I got a great education because of it. So there's a lot of kids that are athletes in high school that kind of bank on their their athleticism to get them into a school they probably wouldn't get into otherwise. So that's taken away, which is even harder for a student athlete to go to an ivy League school and stuff like that because the time, commitment and everything that you know, they have with sports along with the academic side. So to take that away from a student athlete who has two lives like that, that's even I.
Speaker 1: Think that's like the common consensus is that people are just really feeling for like, well, what about all the other kids?
Speaker 2: I feel for the actual kids because well, I mean, do you though, because ry Lafflin's daughter was like, yeah, they don't on a yacht. Mom got arrested.
Speaker 1: If they don't know, I feel bad for them because, like I was very fortunate growing up, but like I never felt pressure. My whole family went to the University of Texas. I'm not getting in there. There was a zero percent chance. I think I took the SAT hungover. There was a zero percent chance that I was getting in there. And I but there was never any pressure from my day, you know what I mean. So I feel for these kids being like there was obviously pressure. There was obviously something toward these parents.
Speaker 2: I don't know. If there was pressure then then that's not that's not cool. And I just want to go on because I'm sure I'll get a re all er bombarded for this. But for me, personally, No, I wouldn't give I wouldn't give, you know, money to do that kind of shame. But if I if I had the opportunity to pay to help my child to get better, I think it's place and I would now to go to those extents. I don't believe that I would do that because because the kid that works so hard in rowing that that lost a spot to you know, the kids that academically academically work so hard. But I will do whatever I can to make sure she has the best opportunity if for some reason she is still delayed and has those issues. It's just knowing that she can be in those schools and thrive in those school of course.
Speaker 1: And now these parents gave half a million dollars and now I don't know, but it's like some of their bails were so expected, like I just read this morning, their bails were so expensive. So it's like you really just ended up double fing yourself because you gave all this money and now you're getting caught and now you might do jail time, you might not.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing I mean, is jail time. What do you guys think about that? I mean, do you think that's something that they should go to jail for. I don't know if they know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if anyone really serves. I think the time it would be more about fines, community service, probationary stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it all depends on some of.
Speaker 1: Them are way more intensive because some of them it went into taxes because they gave so much money to a fake well.
Speaker 2: And time out. That's the good right there. What about the person that says, because I'm sure there is a ton of people that say, you know they have the money, I want my child to go to the school because they want to go to the school. They don't have the grades, but I will pay about this much to help with the your.
Speaker 5: Coverage, Oh boosters, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know that happens. What is the difference. Why aren't those people because those are the same people though, getting their child not an opportunity. It's not guaranteed.
Speaker 1: So you could give like a million dollars, donate a building, but it's not guarantee guaranteed that your child gets in.
Speaker 5: No, no, not directly.
Speaker 7: There's no way to paper legally attach you giving that money to your child getting We have a friend, it could be very coincidental, but the chances.
Speaker 2: Are not high.
Speaker 1: This was guaranteed. You're giving fifty thousand, you're giving.
Speaker 2: But the chances you said, are high if they if they boost.
Speaker 1: No, the chance you have to give like seven million in order to officially get them in. We have a a we know someone who gave a lot of money to a school and the children did knock it in and so they are now doing two years somewhere else and then they will transfer it transfer. So this was just a guaranteed every person. I think this guy said he did it nine hundred times. He got every kid in.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: He made twenty four million or something, this underground guy. So he's locked up.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing I would say he needs to have, Oh no.
Speaker 1: For sure, but he so he became an informant for the FBI like three years ago.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, so he that's how they have all this guys.
Speaker 1: It is like juicy, this is gonna be a movie, Like these email chains are like insane.
Speaker 2: So wait, so they they basically caught him and then said instead of having jail time.
Speaker 1: He's going to end up having it. But obviously it was like reduced. You know, we're like if you cooperate with us, because he he's been doing this for I forget. I mean, we're gonna find out so many more people. The fifty are the ones since since he started working with the FBI. Wow, but he's been doing it, he said, nine hundred students.
Speaker 7: I will say, I can see where I mean, you know, you guys can attest this like when you go to a school, you really do like bleed those colors, right, like you are attached to it, right, So I.
Speaker 2: Mean like yes, yes, yes, right, so.
Speaker 7: Right, so there's just so much of you that it just gets like, you know, caught up in that atmosphere and want to follow your school. So I had a small taste of it just with my brother, with him deciding where to go to college, and my alma mater, James Madison, was kind of in the running for a little bit.
Speaker 5: And when since.
Speaker 2: Your dad went there, you went, dad went there.
Speaker 5: I went there.
Speaker 7: I just I you know, my brother grew up going to the games watching me play, and I will always bleed purple, and it's just one of those things, right. So, but even just my brother kind of going through that situation and him ultimately not choosing jmu because he had a better opportunity elsewhere. It's still kind of sat sour with me, Like I'm still kind of like like I really really want him to go to JMUT, you know, kind of.
Speaker 5: Like through my right well, so but I have to I have to.
Speaker 7: Kind of bite my tongue and realize what he wants, what's best for him, and put those feelings aside. So I can't even imagine with my own child being like, you know, so let's.
Speaker 2: Say Jolie actually does want to go, because I don't believe that those nine how many students there was, over like nine hundred, I think he said, I don't believe that those all of them didn't want to go to that college. I'm sure they're like, please like help me, you know, because I want to go to this college, like I really want to get in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but they probably they probably didn't think it was to the extent that he was doing. There's probably like your mom and dad's probably like, hey, this guy will help you get in to school. They probably didn't know that.
Speaker 1: One of the one of the emails said what do I tell my son because he's going to ask how did he get in? And the guy was like just let him know that you're really good friends with the athletic director. They said he would help. Like so the it's just so many lies, like very detailed lies that I don't know. I feel like you guys are such. I don't think you could pull this off. Oh I totally could. I feel like you're so honest, like would you like you guys are gonna be such?
Speaker 2: But again, I want the best opportunity for her. That's why we have a speech therapist coming every Friday to make sure that she is, you know, because because she is delayed. And I would be mad at my parents if I found out this was them, see that's you know, that's that's got the baby someone. I would be mad at my parents.
Speaker 1: Because I would be like, first of all, you think I'm not f and dumb I needed help.
Speaker 2: But if you didn't get the highest score though, and maybe you didn't need help and you weren't a good test taker, I can see totally what you're saying.
Speaker 1: But now what if they're like in jail, I'd be like wtff, Like now you guys are leaving me because like you wanted me to go to the school, so like what like I would be mad at them and be.
Speaker 2: Like the like, but what if it's a school you really wanted to go into and that you did you did want the help, I would just be really sad.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, I feel like, I'm sure the kids are feeling really guilty because I'm telling you, once you read these emails, it's so sticky that I'd be like my dad said, like what.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's there's two different personalities that there's some kids I probably don't give you damn.
Speaker 5: I think like that probably just.
Speaker 2: Like that was like a damn versus day I love you. I don't know, it's it's just sad. It's a little it's interesting hearing your perspective though, that is well because you don't have kids, and that's I'm not saying that in a bad way at all. It's just interesting to see that perspective because I never thought of it from how Joey would feel. I'm taking it as such a selfish way to be like I want the best for my.
Speaker 1: Child, and I'm just looking at it as like because I remember my dad being like, do you want to go to ut And I was like, I mean, it's not like he could give five million dollars, But I remember him being like, do you want help?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I don't. I don't really care.
Speaker 7: Ultimately, you don't want your kids to have to settle, and neither does joy Bird because they believe that you should never settle when it comes to your home furnishings. With jeord word, do you get one of a conference or made to you your unique taste from mid century modern to contemporary classics, all that kind of stuff. What are we doing in our house? What kind of theme are we doing? Rustic modern?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like modern farmhouse kind of thing. I like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they can match that too.
Speaker 7: East short Bird piece is made made by hand, with care and precision, using high quality hardwood and responsibly source materials to fit our rustic modern farmhouse.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 7: And there is a three hundred and sixty five day home trial, so we can skip the frenchy store and bring the showroom straight to us. We can sit on it, sleep on it, break it in. If you don't love it, you can return it.
Speaker 2: With that sofa that we're going to use. Basically, you get to sit on it, make sure it's comfortable, and if you don't like it, we can just try it and if.
Speaker 7: Jay spits up all over it, you can't get it out and I can't.
Speaker 2: No, it's no, it's not what you do. I just love that they have so many different choices though, and they, like I said, modern to contemporary classics. I don't know. I think it's just nice to be able to chill with it for a second, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all A lot of it is kid and pet friendly, which we have two kids and two dogs, so it's I love it.
Speaker 5: It'll work for us.
Speaker 2: See how joybird is revolutionizing online friend of shopping. Create the French that brings you joy Today joybird dot com slash Jane and go to joybird dot com slash chan and receive an exclusive offer for twenty five percent off your first order by using the code Janna. Oh I'm so excited right now.
Speaker 5: What okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm What're they good? So I'm really excited because we have Dorothy the organizer in the Wine Down Studio. So let me just tell you a little bit about yourself. Dorothy, you are the America's most innovative professional organizer. She is known to millions as the fearless yet endearing problem Solver on the Emmy nominated TV show on Any Orders.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're so.
Speaker 2: Happy to have you in studio with us.
Speaker 4: Thank you. My first time here with you, and you're gorgeous. Oh my gosh, you're the real deal face.
Speaker 2: I don't have any makeup bonds resting right now, so I'm feeling real nice right now.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciating like natural lessons more some times.
Speaker 3: Just like.
Speaker 2: I do. So I feel like I have the opposite of a hoarder because when I love moving, I love organizing, I love packing. So I know that's the weirdest thing, but I love getting rid of Sorry Easton, I just love it. I think it's the most freeing thing. And just being like I'm always like, get rid of it, give it away. I'm the same fellatus or like give it to a friend. I don't know what it is, but I.
Speaker 5: Just think it.
Speaker 2: No, No, I just I don't know what it is. I think it's just it just you feel light afterwards. Let me say this about that. Okay, you're hired. Oh I was just I guess anytime my girlfriend and I are moving and I was like, oh, let me come over and help, like you know, purge and splurge and put it away impact.
Speaker 4: Like the people in America really love to just keep it neat and organized. Yeah yeah, yeah, congratulations.
Speaker 2: But isn't that bad though, too, isn't there Maybe I'm there's like two extremes of horder and then me where it's like just give it away and then you want nothing no nick knacks, no nothing.
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes let me just ask you, might you have a situation or a problem with perfectionism. Why do you look at me like that husband is looking at her?
Speaker 2: I don't think, so what do you think.
Speaker 5: A little bit?
Speaker 2: We're both on the spectrum really like with what though? I'm just curious.
Speaker 5: Like things done the way you like them your way?
Speaker 2: I like that. I like things done.
Speaker 5: Timeline on your timeline.
Speaker 2: And if I said to Michael, so let's say this is you know, his water, I say, hey, this is sitting on the table. I said, hey, baby, will you put that away? And He'll go, I'm like no, oh no, A little bit like all the way away. So I guess that's where I am a little bit more like, let's place it in the proper place.
Speaker 4: Well, that immediately sounds to me, sounds to me like a great house to live in. I don't know, I'm ready to move in.
Speaker 2: So what do you think it is like with hoarders that they have that Is it the connection to the things or is it the memories or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit of that. But what I really want you to think about is, Okay, wait a second here, Like an alcoholic perhaps, or someone who gambles, or someone who shops too much. You know, you don't have one reason why it all happens. If I said to someone who drank too much, why are you doing it? And then asked another person, they would have different answers. But the common theme is that I guess it really boils down to some trauma in you know, your past life, or the anxiety to deal with feelings. You know, all these feelings. So it's really what's underneath the clutter or underneath the horde on the Hoarder Show.
Speaker 7: How do you distinguish when it comes down to something that may be legitimately sentimental. Say Janna's brother texts the other day and talked about, you know that one box everyone has when they move, that's your high school yearbooks and stuff that you feel it's so nostalgic, But what are you really going to do with them? How do you distinguish, like what's truly important to keep and stuff like that. Maybe that may still be nostalgic, but it's like, okay, you can let that go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Michael, you mentioned something where you said one box of nostalgia stuff. You know, that's fine, that's normal. It should happen. These people have like but on our Hoarder show, it's an entire house of all of that because everything has a meaning to them. But if we're just talking about your listeners or viewers, what we want to say is, you know, use my five point value system in order to make a decision.
Speaker 2: And what is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have a whole collection of Do you have a collection of anything? Either of you?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I'll say I have that bag with all my high school like you said, yearbooks and albums and pictures. But again I haven't looked at it. And but it's for like Jolie, it's like show your kids, right, you look at your parents' stuff. Though my brother asked me that kind of when I go home, I like to look.
Speaker 1: My mom has a When my grandparents died, they kept a lot of stuff and my mom was like, oh my god, I didn't he had letters my grandpa.
Speaker 2: She was like what, Like, yeah, some.
Speaker 4: Of those things are so adorable to go through at some point. But if you are questioning whether they keep Yeah, if you're somebody who keeps a whole bunch of tools in a garage, you know, then I want to say five point value system. Pick your favorite tool, which one is it? Show it to me. Okay, that's five, that's a five. Nothing else in here can be a five. Or maybe it's your favorite T shirt collection. Show me a five, the number one T shirt that's most exciting that you want to keep up your collection, and then you start going through all the other ones. Nothing else can be a five? Is it a four? Is it a three?
Speaker 2: Is it a two?
Speaker 5: Interesting?
Speaker 4: Is it a one? And you rate each item. So those items that rate one and two, the ones with the holes in the stains, maybe they go out and you keep the five and couple of the fours on that five point value system.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of the same thing too, Because I've with kids and we have a three year old and a three month old, and what we've kind of done is I've taken things like from Jolie that first year, Like, I don't want to get rid of that one onesie that I loved of seeing her, you know, I want to be able to look back and be like, oh my gosh, we go little you were, you know, and give her some of these things, maybe for her kids. But how when is that too much? Too Do I have to use the five point with that, because I think everything is five because it's so sentimental. They're my kids, right, I know.
Speaker 4: Well, it comes to a point later on where see, you still might be at the point where you're accumulating things. There are three stages of getting organized or being organized, or collecting clutter. So the first stage is just getting our independence. We have our own style, our own way of designing and furniture, our own friends. We're collecting people, places, things, and then we go to the second stage where we have to manage all the crap that we just collected. And then the third stage is hopefully getting rid of the stuff. So you might still be in the first stage, where you're still in the collecting. The problem with the people on the Hoarder show on A and E is that they are forever in the collecting stage. So even if they're in their forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, they're still collecting and it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Can I ask?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sorry, no, go ahead, bay, Oh go ahead, because mine's an easy question.
Speaker 5: I'll remember. Okay, be right, bad, I'm dying.
Speaker 2: Oh God, he's had the man called for like a month? What sorry? Uh? Age wise, do you see it primarily in older people or do you what's the age range that you see for hoarders?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so most people think it's just people in their older years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's kind of my thought. I'm like, Okay, my grandparents probably or that age range sixteen up.
Speaker 4: And we see it more there because they don't have as many friends, they don't have as many family members coming to visit. People who are younger are people, you.
Speaker 7: Know, having people.
Speaker 4: We're having guests, so we're having kids. But we have a lot of folks who are younger who are in the hoarding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're hoarders. Do you start with sorry, Sarah? You know, do you start with inside first? Like inside, they're like, what's going on first with them? Before you touch their stuff? That's kind of like my question. I was just gonna be like, do you think there's something like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there is something.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I know you're going like, is there something going on up there.
Speaker 4: In the brain area? Yeah, there is.
Speaker 2: I don't have to work with that first before you say, okay, get rid of that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's two parts of it. I mean, there's the wiring. Some of us are just like your frontal lobe, Jenna, it is completely wired for organizing, and other people are not. But for those people who do hoard, yeah, there's something that's missing for them. And it could be the missing could be a person, it could be a job loss, it could be a major illness. You know, all of these things trigger some sort of anxiety that you just can't deal with.
Speaker 2: So it's like a form of anxiety basically can be But then walk over, there's stuff to get to their room. How does that not give them anxiety?
Speaker 4: No, that's comfort.
Speaker 2: That's give so much anxiety because we're like psycho, so we're like, I don't want anything. Some people can barely get to their room as much stuff they have, barely.
Speaker 4: Get in the door. I mean, we've had situations on The Hoarders Show where we can't even open the door. We were in New York City and a five story walk up and could not get in.
Speaker 2: It's not healthy, probably too, it's sanitary.
Speaker 7: Yeah, is there one? I'm sure everyone has something different that maybe they want to collect or hoard specifically, but there's there one universal kind of topic or concept that they like to hold on to across the board that people have an issue with. Is it stuff of nostalgia? Is it just their own collectible? Is there anything universal across the board for the people that you've seen.
Speaker 4: Yes, recycling really interesting. Yeah, Now this is where a lot of the people who are not hoarders get stuff as well, because we want to be good to the planet. Now, if you're a person who hoards, then you say, well, I'm trying to recycle. So i have all the plastic, i have all the paper, I have all the food, I have everything, and I'm keeping it to reuse it. And I've got a great idea to reuse it. Whether it's a boat in the backyard, whether it's goats in the backyard who have chewed their way through the house. Real true story from hoarders on an e really true that got chewed through the house into the house. It doesn't matter what it is. There's a purpose. So if you feel like, Oh, you have a purpose for everything, You're going to hold on to a whole lot more.
Speaker 7: Is that what I feel like anytime I've seen the show, stacks of newspaper or stacks of paper like everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, stacks of paper everywhere, because there are great ideas that they when the printer is working, Michael, when it's working, just like the plumbing or the electricity if it's working, but when the printer's working, they print out all these documents on the how to to do something. They are definitely going to di I Wyatt and they're going to take care of it.
Speaker 2: What drew you to this lifestyle of helping others unhort Like, what does your house look like?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: Are are you the organized Nancy?
Speaker 4: You know you could come to. My house is really organized, and I'm married to somebody who's really really organized. So we get along really well and travel well together. But this dropped in my lap. Now, mind you, I tend to work with all of the celebrities here in Los Angeles. I'm really lucky, so I get to go in and organize beautiful homes. But most people just know me from the Hoarder Show, and so it dropped in my lap. There was this gentleman here in the Los Angeles area. He had five thousand bikes and bike parts inside his house. Oh yeah, and he was sleeping outside his house on a recliner chair. So he was going to jail. And that was like twenty years ago. And then the Hoarder shown me and I was on the pilot, and then I was a technical producer helping everybody learn how to deal with this hoarding situation.
Speaker 2: And now you're a best selling author and your current book is Stuff Your Face or Face Your Stuff. I love that. Yeah, that's a great title.
Speaker 4: You know what happened, don't you?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 4: So I was on the set of the Hoarder show and I had this realization at two hundred pounds that I was hoarding sugar and flour around my body the same way my clients a hoarding things in their house. And I thought, this has got to stop. So I took off seventy five pounds and wrote a book on how the parallels because I really feel like I identify with these people who can't stop bringing things in.
Speaker 2: That's so foud because at first you probably didn't identify at all. Yeah, exactly, Like what introspection on your part to see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, a little embarrassing to share about.
Speaker 2: But now I think that's just makes people more.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's like a major correlation. It is like people over eating or hoarding food basically.
Speaker 4: Well, imagine when I'm if I'm overweight and someone comes in and wants to take away my just baked cookies and milk, how I'm going to field, Well, get your hands off my stuff? And so interesting how these people feel on The Hoarders Show with.
Speaker 2: Us, which is airs Tuesday at eight seven Central on A and E. And then you have the ten minute Closet Organizer dot Com, which I need to read because we're moving to Nashville and I just I got to figure out how we want to organize the closet. So what's like your biggest tip on that for closets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for closets, it's really how you like to organize it. So it's a customized solution. But are you a person who likes to organize by category or by color or by usefulness? Like does it need to go the dry cleaner? Do I need to have it mended? Do I have to have it ironed? Whatever these things are, or by days of the week if you have kids. So there's like ten different diferent families of these closet dividers that you can use to organize our closet.
Speaker 2: Where can our listeners? I mean, can could people hire you if they're in the LA area or are you kind of not available? Yes?
Speaker 4: I have my sister with me all over and it's not just the California.
Speaker 2: Could we fly you to Nashville?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we fly all over? Oh love Yeah, Japan, Australia, name it we go?
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh that would be fun. I love hired. Come done, Dorothy thinking. Where can our listeners find you? Then, Dorothy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, dorothythorganizer dot com And actually my show is coming up this Tuesday night on March nineteenth on A and E Love for Hoarders.
Speaker 2: Awesome, thank you so much, Dorothy coming, Thank you. I loved her. I did too. She was really sweet. Here's something that a lot of people have though that they hoard mattresses. You've seen the show where they have all these mattresses. Yeah, this one guy was like sleeping on seven matches mattress and storage that I'm used in like three years are here?
Speaker 5: What I hope it's a storage in it with just a mattress.
Speaker 2: No, I think there's just like a desk in there and like some boxes.
Speaker 5: So basically someone lives in that storage.
Speaker 2: Speaking of mattresses, though, we are going to have sleep numbers in all of our Nashville bedrooms and we're super pumped because the new Sleep number three sixty smart beds helps everyone from parents to pro athletes Baby improve their daily performance through proven quality sleep. And again, I always say that you spend half your life in bed, and I think you deserve to have an amazing bed and mattress.
Speaker 7: Is it half your life for me? Once you have kids, it's no longer half your life. It's like a.
Speaker 2: Third I know, but no, seriously, it's just I just need a comfy bed because I do a lot of work from my bed. You know, we do our laundry in bed, I mean everything, but my favorite. You can set your setting, so like Baby, you can have a setting. I can have a setting.
Speaker 5: You like it harder.
Speaker 2: Ooh, okay, okay, I won't make the joke, but you can come in now and save up to five hundred dollars on a select Sleep Number three sixty smart beds. That's you're saving five hundred dollars. That's crazy.
Speaker 5: We have that fun on Jana's side of the bed though, because mine's too soft.
Speaker 2: But there's no like you know, always there are so many sexual Okay, all I'm saying is that you know, with sleep Number three sixty you can choose your ideal firmness on each side. So again, whatever side works for you, you get to choose it. You'll only find Sleep number at one of their five hundred and seventy five sleep number stores nationwide. Visit sleep number dot com slash Jana to find the one nearest do you and get five hundred dollars off. So before we get to our next guest, I really just need to talk to you guys about Lola, because Lola is a female founded company offering a line of organic cotton tampons, pads, liners, and all natural cleansing wipes. Sarah, Yes, it's so annoying when you run out of tampons. I don't know, in my opinion, it just is. So it's you know, for me, with Lola, I A I always know and Michael always knows. Two and the Lola box comes, it's like choose on Imperia Stay Clear, Stay Clear. But I just love it too because I don't need the light. I want just the ones that I want.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now I have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Now I don't have to go out and buy and for Janayre, we're tired, go buy some for you if you ask him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, yeah really, if I asked him.
Speaker 5: That actually kind of surprises me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know really, I know he's bought. Yeah, Okay, he'd probably buy like like an overnight like one of those big pads. Okay, yeah he would. But with Lola though, it's really easy because it's a subscription that comes once a month just or whenever you need it. Basically you can change the amount of frequency, frequency of delivery. It's they're super flexible the subscription. That is, you can change, skip or cancel your subscription at any time. And again they're all bp A free plastic applicators, so it's good for the environment, good for you again. One hundred percent organic cotton BPA. For forty percent off all subscriptions, visit my Lola dot com and entered Jana. When you subscribe and you do not want to miss this, get forty percent off all subscriptions today and visit my lola dot com and enter Janna. So Christy Morale is here.
Speaker 9: Hey, love, Welcome to the welcome Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm Jana. This is my husband Michael, and this is Sarah. So we kind of talked about it last week's episode. Was it last week's episode? About two weeks? Two weeks? Yeah, and Sarah, you texted me something really interesting. Do you want to share or no? Just literally, I'm never safe where we talk about. I don't even know what we talked about. You haven't talked about the scale about how I realized that I was that was something that I can control, was the number on the scale. So that became kind of my my thing.
Speaker 1: He basically said that, like it's your way of control. You can't control things, so you control the scale or something. Yes, So I kind of just came to realization where we were talking about, Like, you know, I wouldn't say I'm like addicted.
Speaker 2: Or but it's a control thing. Working out for me is a control thing.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like in other aspects of my life I might be not in control, and I'm a control freak, and so I kind of I was on the treadmill as I'm listening to this lady tell Jenna, and I'm like, I think that's my thing. Like I think I get cranky or I get like if I don't work out, it's like becomes a whole thing, and so I think that that might be my little way controlling it's my yeah, because like if I know, Okay, I went and I was on the treadmill for this long and you know, yeah.
Speaker 9: So I think same with the scale. Once it becomes obsessive and once it becomes something you can like, for example, if you can't work out in a day, if it bothers you so much where you don't even have an enjoyable day, then it's an issue.
Speaker 1: But then it's so I just feel good after because it's like that balance, you know, where it's like, Okay, is it the endorphins or am I just like you know?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: So when you say issue though, is it an eating disorder?
Speaker 5: Issue?
Speaker 2: Like what is the category of in eating disorder?
Speaker 9: Great question? So there's a lot of there's a lot of different The spectrum is huge because I feel like majority of people have disordered eating with their either relationship with their body or relationship with food. The scale, there's so many different things this is such a hot topic because I mean, I've been working the eating disorder filled for eighteen years and I work at USC as a sports dietician there and I run a program for Healthy Body Imagine Eating, and I also work for the La Kings, So it's so interesting. I'm a very vast, you know, different way of looking at this from an athlete perspective of the obsession of exercising and looking a certain way to perform and then you have, you know, when you're done being an athlete, or just like my normal clients that I see in my private practice, they feel like if they're not controlling it, they're going to be out of control or they're not going to look the way they want to. So it's easier for them to get on a scale multiple times a day. It's easier for them to make sure they're working out, you know, to compensate for what if they had a cookie that day, so then it becomes unhealthy. So there's a there's a difference between I exercise because it makes me feel good, or I check my weight once in a while to see, you know, kind of what my body's doing.
Speaker 1: See, I don't have a scale, so that's what's weird because we're like the opposite in that, but you're still obsessive over something.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, oh yeah, so that's im Like, so that's like, that's why the same even then they're different. But it's not. I don't think it's that you care about which you weigh. I think it's I mean, there is something to be said when you're obsessed to work it because you do. You're not in a good mood when you don't work out. So so that's that is a problem.
Speaker 1: So again like and and here's so, but it's like I'll go eat, like it's.
Speaker 2: Not like time out. I'm going to call you out right now. Oh this is good, You're okay. We don't need together, Sarah. No, I asked you to eat and you're like, I'm not eating right now. I'm not eating right now. Is a mild joke. That's not a joke though, because you literally would not eat. You said you you're you said that you'd have one meal a day. Okay, but that's a joke. It's not a joke because you actually but if.
Speaker 1: I was, look, it's not like I'm like skin embalm, I feel like it's die.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Think that for me, I would rather.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 1: Right now, for me, I'd rather work out than not eat.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? But that's not healthy, right Exactly? You have to you have to have food to get your body to work out.
Speaker 1: That's what I said, Like I want, I like to eat, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But you don't, though you say you don't eat, like and I don't want to any food? But why why is no?
Speaker 1: Because I know no, because it's like a mood thing, Like I know that. Like sometimes I'm like, you know, I'm just like cranky or like something's going on. So I'm like, I'm just like annoyed and I don't or mind when I'm unhappy, I don't have an appetite. So I'm the opposite of someone who's like, oh my god, I'm eating my feelings. I'm the opposite, sure, And I found that out yours. I know that about me. I am someone who when I'm not in a good place, I just I'm like, I don't have an I don't feel good, but I'm not working out either, So.
Speaker 9: Right, and that that can happen, And that's good that you know that about yourself. I do know that, right, in terms of I mean exercise, what I would do is recommend you forcing yourself to have a day off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I definitely do a time, but I'm just like I wish I worked out, you know.
Speaker 9: And then just and do you have to sweat? That's the other thing too, because some people know, Okay.
Speaker 2: You can just go outside, go for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't have to sweat. I just have to be And also maybe it's like an ad D thing. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just have to be like going, going, moving and doing thing. Yeah, because that's weird. I don't have to sweat. So back to the kind of thing, like would you categorize that, like what is what is the window for what an eating disorder is?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: Would that be categorized as not necessary?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 9: I mean certainly the obsession is a problem, Like if it's taking away something for your life. For example, if you have to go pick up a friend at the airport and you're like, I don't know if I should because I have that exercise class that I have to go to. Like that's a lot of my clients that I see that they will like that trumps everything, like they won't do certain things because that's the time they work out, or if they don't work out, they really do obsess about it all day long and it really bothers them. That would be, you know, along the disordered type of mentality with I see, it's.
Speaker 1: More of like control. Yeah it's not there yet. Yeah, so now it's not there.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you came on because I had a listener DM ME that was really upset about the last last podcast because they were very shocked how I could promote an unhealthy habit which I wasn't promoting it. Someone came on to promote their diet and I didn't agree with the diet, but you know, I couldn't. I didn't want to be rude. I didn't want to sit there and be like, well it's something I could never do that. But basically they said to not eat with than sixteen hours.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah?
Speaker 2: Kin it fasting? Yeah? And I just from your perspective, you know, because because this person had an eating it's like, how could you promote that to people that have I'm like, I'm not promoting that. You know, we have guests on that come on to promote their things, and you know, I never put like my stamp of approval on that because I don't agree with that, and that's something that I couldn't do. M hm. As from someone from the eating disorder background, you know, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 9: So definitely no one should be doing that if they've had an eating disorder or they have any kind of disordered way of thinking around food. I've had clients who've done that and are successful but have never had an eating disorder. They do it for other reasons, but I would agree with you. For the majority of people, that doesn't work for them at all. So if it becomes something that they again are obsessed with or already restrictive, this would just kind of add fuel to the fire. So I don't think it works for everybody, do I think it works for some people and they have success over Yes, but that's for people who probably are very of a weight, they have other health issues. Like if you look at the science of it, there is science behind it. So I'm not going to say that that it's not a good idea for a handful of people or for people who have a very different background than if somebody were, you know, to have an eating disorder or already in a restrictive way. Of thinking this would be something they would clearly stay away from.
Speaker 2: So what are science to look out for that if people are worried about maybe if they have this in eating disorder or not.
Speaker 9: Well that's a great question too, because I feel like this could be a whole another series, because I think majority of Los Angeles, I mean, when you talk to girls, what is a topic of conversation? Wait, they look, uh, oh my god, you looks so yeah, exactly, Oh my god. But I'm too right, So I think there is this obsession with it. And it's sad because I see a lot of young girls. So I also specialize in young kids that I come to my office, so eleven year old, twelve year old girls that I see, and I see boys as well, and obviously it starts at home. Majority of the time when I see kids, I'll talk to the mom or dad first and see what's going on. And I know you have a daughter as well, and it's quite what.
Speaker 2: Do we say that we don't shouldn't do?
Speaker 9: Because I mean, you think you can hide it from them, and you can't. So that's the first thing. So if you're eating, Like if I see a mom and she's like yes, but I'm you know, forty seven, and you know I can't eat carbohydrates like my daughter should. So I just eat you know, steam, spinach and eggs, and I just don't eat the carbs. But I always make her pasta. And I'm like, you don't understand. She's gonna watch you and do exactly what you do, even though you're telling her, no, you need them, honey, you're growing. No, So honestly you have to be really normal quote unquote with your food and body as well, if you say, just in passing, like oh these pants on me look so fat, or even though you don't think she's paying attention. It's so interesting all my clients when I start opening up and they start talking all the little snippeits that they get from you know, obviously social media and commercials and stuff like that. But we at home, so you even having a scale out at all is not a healthy thing, I would say.
Speaker 2: But the scale like the worst mom ever because what I'll like, weigh myself and then she's like, my turn, my turnue. I know, I know, but she's only done it like twice. But now I'm like, yeah, the two times, I'm like, oh my god, I'm never letting her stuff on that ever gain because I don't want her to think that like she has to like weigh herself. So if just three.
Speaker 9: Okay, So if this gives you any kind of motivation to put the scale away and not do this, it's her for sure, because they will.
Speaker 2: Can I just hide it from her?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 2: I would just not. We should talk about it.
Speaker 9: Because I used to be exactly like that. In fact, I used to travel with the scale, like when you go on medication. Yeah yeah, yeah, So this is a whole like that could be another whole hour. We can just talk about about how crazy you can get. But when you ask me, like what are the signs to look for, it's when it starts to become where I have clients who are like, I'm not going to go to Cobbor on vacation because I don't feel good inn a swim soon, Like you're missing out on that time with your friends and that those memories because you don't feel good in a swim suit. That's sad. When you're sitting there calculating your calories and your macros and it becomes like the first thing you think about when you get up and the last thing you think about before you go to bed.
Speaker 2: Well, so what if it's what if that person just wants to lose weight though.
Speaker 9: But there's so many ways to do it that are colors that you don't have to count, calories. Your guess that you had on when you did talk about the scale, I really liked her. I felt like she had exactly what I promote to, which is the hunger scale. And really there's things that will always stay true, which is if you eat when you're hungry and you stop when you're satisfied, You exercise a good amount of time, maybe five days a week for.
Speaker 2: A good hour, and you do I don't have time to do that. No, five days a week, five days a week.
Speaker 9: Four to five times a week. Oh, but you don't exercise like four to five. You don't move your body.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got two kids.
Speaker 9: I don't know how well that's moving your body. But that's you're probably busy with them. It's like it's just not sitting here or like you're doing right now on a date, like you have to be moving. That's probably a better way of saying it, all right, And then you have to watch your stress and you need to be sleeping and drinking water. About those things, that's totally fine. Okay, yeah, I mean not every day. I mean you can one glass is fine. But when you ask me about like how do people control their weight in a healthy way, that's that's the key. Listening to their body, regular exercise, drinking lots of water, ideally, learning how to deal with stress like meditation and sleep and and just surround yourself with good energy. And honestly, those are the keys.
Speaker 7: What have you seen you work with a lot of collegiate professional athletes? Right it was a former I played in.
Speaker 5: The NFL for a while.
Speaker 7: Awesome, And what have you seen have you dealt with many athletes kind of transitioning from sport into kind of quote unquote normal real life.
Speaker 5: And yes, I've had a struggle.
Speaker 7: It's not as much now, but especially when I first retired or I was eating the same but obviously I'm not burning the same amount of calories. Like what kind of tips or tricks or advice do you have, Like even now I still have a struggle with it, but just kind of for those former athletes kind of transitioning into you know, a normal day life where you're not doing it. You can't eat the same amount of quarts and protein over and over and over again, Like what are That's.
Speaker 9: A great question. So we before all of our athletes leave, so our senior athletes, we have this huge basically seminar where they understand how to how to cook. So I teach cooking classes, grocery shopping skills like what are you looking for? You know, how to make easy quick meals, and then really learning to readjust listening to their body. So there's still conditioned to eat a certain way. So it's a habit, right because they're exercising and burning so many calories. So we really sit down and try to help them figure this out, which is you need to not stop thinking that you can just get away with eating multiple like cheeseburgers and French fries, are eating late at night because you're gonna go burn it off next morning in weights and in practice or whatever. So it's psychological first, you know, realizing that, okay, you're not going to have as much output, so here's what you need to do, and you need to make sure you're planning ahead. So those are the kind of people that for sure when they're getting into the work life that they need to batch cook and I teach them sort of how to do that. So how do you have things in the refrigerator that you can take to work? And then you need to be eating instead of eating a lot of carbohydrates. So it's the flip. It's like, instead of the add those extra carbohydrates, you add in more vegetables. So more vegetables, moderate carb moderate protein versus a good And we have plates that I show them so they can get a good visual of, like, Okay, here's what your plate looks like. Now here's what it needs to look like as you transition. But there needs to be a conversation because as you can see, a lot of people who are either get injured or who leave their sport have a lot of weight issues that leads to depression, that leads to heart issues and cholesterol and other you know, kind of disastrous things that can happen. So there's a huge amount of education that we give to our athletes about that.
Speaker 7: That's great, especially for seniors going off into the real world and even I mean, but that's the thing athletes, you know, even in college and then in a professional level, your meals are basically provided for you exactly, So even when I left the NFL. It's like, all right, I could cook a little bit, but proportionally and it's hard to cook for one person at the time. And I was still eating the same thing. I was still eating a lot of carbs and pastas and meats and all that all the time. Where it's i mean our first like a year and a half together, I'll still like my plane weight, and I was like, there's no reason for me to be two hundred and fifty pounds right right.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was brutal.
Speaker 9: And that's another thing too. That's the skill too for athletes versus a non athlete. I will tell you one of the biggest issues is eating slower. So my athletes because they have to get to classed or they have to like they're shoving food in.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 9: So when they learn how to transition, I'm like, okay, I want you to act.
Speaker 2: With our two kids. I'm like, I'm trying to feed and like, he'll have a couple of bites. I'm feeding Jason, and I'm like, hey, then he's like, I'll take so you can have a couple of bites because you know, it just always falls at the same time. And then Jolie, I'm like, sit down, sit like a big girl, eat your food. No, Jolie, don't put your hands and use your fork like like then I'm like shoving. And then I don't even remember how it tasted, souse. I just ate it so fast. That is a constant, very hard.
Speaker 9: I have two kids as well. I mean, it's very difficult. The transition of of now athletes, non athlete to then parents. That's like a whole another thing. It is challenging. But I would say, you know, at least you have a plate of food, don't be standing. So I have what's called Christy's rules, which are really interesting, Like one is no standing and eating.
Speaker 2: But that's like my life and so too. And I don't even have kids, and I stand when you're gone, I do, like when we're not, when we don't have family dinners, I stand. But I get the.
Speaker 9: Whole thing of trying to balance, you know, one kid on your lap and trying to eat and that kind of thing. Try to be as mindful as you can. It's not going to be perfect, and you've got to give your some some grace and that those moments are just like it is what it is. But when you have the time, and you can sit and you can just relax, to not try to be distracted by your phone or anything else, but to really just that's.
Speaker 2: A great master. We have to what's the worst food that you can that's a proper the worst food. What's the worst thing you can put in your body?
Speaker 9: There is nothing like that, No such thing. That is my firm belief.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you why. Esla doesn't make somebody healthy, and a cheeseburger is not going to make somebody unhealthy. Right, So whether you go to a fair, yeah exactly. I think people get so like, oh my god, that has carriageane in it, or it has whatever, And I was like, so what. So the reality is when I'm at you know, when I go to Disneyland and my kids want to eat some whatever caramel apple, I know that it's not made with the best ingredients, but I'm gonna eat it because it's fun and I'm with them, and I want to be just like, let go. For the majority of the time, I might eat really healthy and clean, and some of the time I eat things that are just because So there's not one food that's going to make you unhealthy, just like there's not one food that's going to make you healthy. It's really about the balance between the two, honestly.
Speaker 2: Moderation like moderation. What about for Jolie though, So my fear is and I don't ever want to portray this on her, but what if? Because I don't because childhood obesity is a real thing for a real thing, and I don't want to be the super strict mom where she's so tightened about her weight. But at the same time, I don't want her to be obese. Yeah, either, So I'm like, what is the balance that I walk without making her feel like she has to be thin? But also so I don't know how to walk.
Speaker 9: It's great, it's a great question. And I love this topic because I think kids right now are so confused because either they're getting these mixed messages or they have parents that So I go into my kids class is fourth grade class, and I teach a weekly. They really need to be educated, that's the bottom line. You have to educate them. You have to help them move and not to shame them about eating sugar. But just like with my kids, it's like when they're hungry when they come home, I have a plate of fresh vegetables, some fruit, maybe some almonds, instead of like, oh, you want another bag of pirates spooty, Oh you want another thing of goldfish.
Speaker 2: Like it is pirates booty back. No, not at all, but go to no.
Speaker 9: But I'm just saying, like, when you have those opportunities and they're hungry, that's the best way to get some fruits and vegetables in them because they're hungry. So it's trying to just give them. It's like, you know, let's start with fruits and vegetables first, and then yeah, if you want pirates spooty or goldfish or whatever it is. But I feel like taking you don't want to also oversnack them, And I think that's a big problem. And I'll always ask my kids like are you physically hungry or you just want to eat because you're watching something or because you you know. So it's just those types of little bits of education or wandering into the kitchen and starting to go in the pantry and start eating something like no, put it on a plate, let's go sit down, eat your snack, and then move on. So just developing those kinds of good habits once in a while, I'll let them eat, you know, on the couch, but really making the table a place where they eat their food and their snacks and then moving on to play whatever versus like foods all over the post, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So well, thank you so much for coming in. We really appreciate. I love all the insight that you gave us and our listeners. Where can I where can they find you?
Speaker 9: Thank you so much. It's at kmsports nutrition dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, awesome, great, thanks so much. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. What's wrong? It's gone up? Oh I did didn't I know, but I just you know, no, it's not it's not anything like Michael. Michael is all excited about them. He was, but I just you know, we had a specialist here. She's amazing. And and when you say you don't eat, oh my god, ie roll Okay, well, I love't going to care about it. And it was invention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nothing. I didn't all like, I know, you know, you know that things, you know what the whatever, you love me, I'm going to work out after this. Of course, I loved her and I love her. She basically because I figured she'd say like a preservative is bad for you or something, you know. I I agree with that. I'm I'm like, Okay, this cookie's not going to kill you, know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I like, I love it.
Speaker 5: Because I'm a big believer and everything's okay and moderate exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why I.
Speaker 7: Love that, because everyone freaks out so much. This is going to cause cancer, This is going to cause cancer.
Speaker 2: Well well okay, maybe I'm a little life is.
Speaker 5: Going to cause can Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with you, though.
Speaker 1: It's like anything, everything a moderation in life in general.
Speaker 2: We definitely want to have Christie back though. So if you guys have any questions around eating, nutrition, health, please email us at wind Down at iHeartRadio dot com. And that's wine. W H I n E all right, so bless you, Tori. So I I kind of want to wrap up the college conversation that we talked about earlier, but I want to wrap it up with my girlfriend Leslie. She's been on the podcast before and she has her take on it. Leslie there boo, yeah, huh Hi. So we were kind of to obviously, we texted a little bit about this yesterday, and you know, Sarah has kind of her opinion from the kid's side about how she would be upset with her parents if, if you know her, her parents paid for them. And then I'm kind of on the side where, you know, I would do anything for my child, you know, although I feel bad for the kid that is working so hard to get there, and but I'm but I'm also torn. So I'm just kind of curious from another mom's perspective, what your thoughts are on it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, so this is like not in the you know, this is not far off for us. Sean's going to be there in three years, and it's just, you know, I guess from a pure parent standpoint, I want the best for my kids. I just I just do I want I want the best of everything. And I can see how somebody would be motivated. I can see how my parent would be motivated to give their kid that extra edge. Now I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying I totally see the motivation and I get it.
Speaker 7: I'm there now, Leslie.
Speaker 5: What if.
Speaker 7: I feel like there's two sets of motivation. There's one is like you're saying you want the best of your kid. The second the second is with some of these people being whether it's celebrity or high end executives where their motivation could be they just want to be able to say that their child goes to the ivy V school or goes to their alma mater because they couldn't get in. Like, do you think there's a big difference in you know, which motivation is better? Doesn't really matter because they're still doing the same action to get them in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I think my motivation is better.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 8: Wanting the best for my kid is better than being able to say, well, my kid went to Harvard. I don't that's That's not what I'm in it for, you know, Like my motivation is to make sure that Sean and Drew get the best possible that they can in life.
Speaker 2: And you feel bad for the kid that has worked his butt off that doesn't have the money that would be taking that kid's your kids spot. Okay, I do what my quife?
Speaker 1: Hi, Sarah, my question or like my argument is, okay, so you know that this is illegal and you know there's a chance, just don't aren't you thinking big picture for your kids? Like, Okay, I might go to jail because I did this, So you're hurting your child at the end of the day, because what if your child goes a year, even if your child goes six months without a parent because you're in prison allegedly, you know what I.
Speaker 7: Mean, Like, no one, But how often do people think that far ahead when the consequences of their actions?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: Well, so you know, here, here's the thing though, Like I would kill somebody for my kid. I would totally go to jail for that, and I have no problem with it. I would.
Speaker 5: I just I would.
Speaker 8: That's the whole Well that seems.
Speaker 1: There, like I feel like I would beat someone up for you know what. I get that part, But this is such like a it's almo. It's not funny, but it's almost just like what, like you spent a million dollars so that your child could go to another I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is that necessary? I think I think at home? I mean maybe not, I don't know, but maybe you might have a different I mean, no, I get that everyone.
Speaker 1: I would do everything for my kid. I get that that. I understand. I would kill someone for tie.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that, But you're just saying to tie it here, you know, I'm saying, like, because I don't have a child, so he's the next closes. So I get that, but like I I don't what I don't understand I would be if my mom went to jail, I would I wouldn't recover.
Speaker 7: See, I think you're able to see the back end of it because you don't have a kid. So you're thinking of I'm putting my whole picture as a parent, you're thinking of like right now, because you wouldn't do it the best of your kid right now, you're not thinking of what can possibly happen.
Speaker 1: This is not going to be a popular opinion. But does college really matter that much?
Speaker 2: I didn't at school. I didn't know what school my child that's going to college? But what school does that?
Speaker 5: Does that?
Speaker 2: What child says no though, then that's fine. But I think Yale does really matter or that that's because people will get better jobs, right if they go to that? But are going to fly.
Speaker 1: One of the alleged had like a two point three So you're telling me that you have a two point three gpa. But now you got into so and so you're not you're not graduating well.
Speaker 8: But Sarah, to your point, So there's a kid from my hometown right now who's got a one point seven and he's going to Notre Dame on football scholarships.
Speaker 1: Well that's well, that's but that makes sense because they're athletes. These people are fake athletes, so they're not.
Speaker 8: He doesn't belong, but he doesn't belong.
Speaker 7: Well that's that's kind of That was My whole thing that we were talking about earlier was that the whole issue with this whole scenario is that he was this guy was taking scholarship like student athlete scholarships. So like I was telling Sarah and everyone in here is I wouldn't have gotten into JMU if it wasn't for football. So these kids, they're taking scholarships away from kids that really needed even more because that's the only way they're going to be able to get the education that they want to get by using their athletic skills.
Speaker 8: The kid I don't think did these kids get scholarships. The one who was supposedly on the crew team, I don't think she got a scholarship. It just got her application bumps. Yeah, I don't think she was given any scholarship dollars.
Speaker 2: No, she wasn't given money, but I think it takes a spot.
Speaker 5: It's still a student athlete spot.
Speaker 2: Mark your ear, because I didn't get.
Speaker 5: A scholarship coming out of college.
Speaker 1: I was a walk on, but it was still a student taking.
Speaker 5: There was still a student athlete spot.
Speaker 7: The reason I got in was because of athletics, so they still went under They got into that school under the false pretense of them being a student athlete.
Speaker 5: I have a lot of thoughts on this.
Speaker 10: When I first heard that this all coming out, my thought was, of course, I would do anything for my kid, and I would never think I would go to jail for get that. But but then when I hear about, Okay, so here's how we're going to We're going to pretend your child is learning disabled so they can get longer to do their SAT, and then they're going to change their score anyway. That's when I would have really pulled the ripcord at that point, because then it's like, Okay, that's this. Now this feels wrong in CD. But as far as worrying about who's going I want to jail, I would never have considered that because you never hear about it. You never hear about these parents going as for what they do and why didn't they just give them money to the university and pay for a wing of a library or something.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I talked about. Earls, you have bars.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that's that's another that's a good point. Someone asked me yesterday. So how you know it's different than if someone buys a wings for Harvard and gets their kid in. You know, I don't. So now it's just above board. You're still buying your kids way into college.
Speaker 1: There's no guarantee, I think, which is the problem. And this man was one hundred percent. I even read his quote. He was like, in nine hundred, this in nine hundred students, Like, I've one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Uh guarantee that guarantee. Wow, So like you have to.
Speaker 5: Give he's been in a thousand.
Speaker 1: Allegedly you have to give like five million plus to ensure that your child, like I mean five million plus, like to a building or a library or or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like these people were.
Speaker 1: Just not that it's not that much, but they were giving, you know, fifteen twenty FIFTI.
Speaker 10: Yeah, what's frustrating is it's never been a level playing field for everybody that's.
Speaker 2: With your song. You have to you have to do you know, payola and all those things. And now you can't do Paola, but now it's like you need to do these many things and do this in order to have your one song played so lately, or it's like hey, in the acting world, it's like, well, my my, you know, my dad is this person and so I'm going to get in this movie because he knows this person. Or I'm like, what is the freaking difference?
Speaker 10: Right, it's all who you know. Wealth gets your privileged in so many ways. It's never been an even playing field, and then they're still gaming this system on top of the uneven playing field.
Speaker 1: Or it's like you already have an advantage, like these people already have. I think that if I think that if we found out it was different families doing this, we might feel different.
Speaker 7: The thing is too, if you if your family was in that position once you want to use utilize your resources and maximize them as much as you could. Anyone would. Yeah, just like anything you get a job, it's about who you know and what you know.
Speaker 1: No, that's I get it. I'm like, I just mostly I just feel bad for these kids. I know.
Speaker 2: That's what would you think Drew or Shawn would feel, Leslie.
Speaker 3: If we did that for them and got caught if they not not not if you got not even that you guys got caught, but they found out that you guys did that for them to get in.
Speaker 5: Do you think they would feel the.
Speaker 2: Way that Sarah is saying like that, You like, oh, you don't think I'm smart enough to get in there?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I know Sean, and he'd be pissed, you'd be pissed.
Speaker 2: I think he'd probably likes me, okay, And I'm sure that's how half of them are.
Speaker 1: Half of them probably care, and half of them probably don't. But now it's just the embarrassing. I mean, now it's kind of embarrassed. You know these kids are not yet.
Speaker 8: Now it's embarrassing. No, you're absolutely right, Barah.
Speaker 2: There's no way these kids can show up for class today.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because now now all the other kids look at it. I want off to get in here, paid to get in here, like get out of it.
Speaker 2: But by what you guys.
Speaker 8: One girl, the girl who got into USC, she is on her YouTube channel saying, yeah, I don't know how often I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Go to class. Yeah that's yeah, that's that's Laura Laughlin's daughter. That one kind of like you know she's again partying up on a yacht. So that's what I'm saying is that I watched the funny thing. She was like, you people are.
Speaker 1: Doing this for usc like like.
Speaker 10: But the thing is they're not doing it for their kids. They're doing it for themselves.
Speaker 2: That's what I said, thank you.
Speaker 5: That's maybe.
Speaker 2: But then I'm thinking to you, like again, like if Jolie came to if your daughter came to and said, Mom, I really want but I just don't, I'm like, Okay, well, let me let me see what I can do, because I want what I want the best for her. If that's what she wants to go, I would why.
Speaker 10: But the question is why is because she wants that great education? Okay, maybe, but it's because my friends are going there. They have the best, it's best social stops, looks so good on Instagram. Because that's Olivia Jade person. I guarantee you she has different motivations.
Speaker 5: I mean, but there are.
Speaker 7: Some kids that are young enough, that are insightful at a young age that want to go to a certain school because of the education. So if that was the case with any of.
Speaker 4: Our kids, but it's just like life.
Speaker 2: It's like you're not, like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It just is like a life's not fair.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it's just like I mean, I got rejected. I don't know it just like teaches. I don't know, that's what they want to teach their kids.
Speaker 10: Like we try to shield our kids from all failure, and now it's kind of become all negative experiences of any kind.
Speaker 2: I'm guilty of it, yes, but then also too, you know what I've kind of experienced with Jolie is you know she's people are being so mean to her. Even there was a comment on our podcast saying, why don't you pay attention to your daughter? She's three years old and acting like one like she has a speech and she has she has speech to like, yes, I haven't been public about that because I'm like, but she's three and we have a speech therapist coming over. But I'm like, but now you're like bullying my child. So now it's now I don't feel like I'm a good I'm like when I I feel like I've failed my daughter somehow? Did I not? You know, I don't know, but I don't. I want her to have the best chances of doing good in school, so I would pay anything to make sure that she's not being bullied and she's going to be properly educated. And I had a.
Speaker 8: Rough mom day yesterday. And it's in the grand scheme of things, I'm not going to go into details, but in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal. But for me, it felt like a total parenting fail because it was something that I was doing that was enabling behavior and when I got called out on it, and called out isn't really the right word. When it was brought to my attention, I was like, oh, like, that's that's all. Sorry, that's all me. That's me, Like I did that.
Speaker 2: I feel like, but what about when like Sean didn't make the soccer team, Like, did you feel would you.
Speaker 8: Have oh my gosh, would you.
Speaker 4: Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Well like, yeah, would you have paid the coach to be like, hey, I want him on the team. But it's the same thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I would you know, I wouldn't. And I'm not saying that I would that I would pay to get him into Harvard or Yale. I'm not saying that I would do that. I'm saying I can totally see the motivation. Would I love to talk to the coach and say, hey, dude, like you missed a really good player, like he's a strong player. Yes, I would love to. And I and the coach even wrote an email and said, hey, if you want to know what he needs to work on, feel free to reach out. And I was so close to doing it, and I thought, you know what, I'm not because Sean needs to own that. If Sean wants to know why he didn't make the team, he needs to own that. But I'm not going to say that I didn't sit down and craft an email and then delete it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my heart would be broken though. If Jolie auditioned for something or tried out for something and didn't get it, I would be balling for her.
Speaker 7: But I would never I would never address the teacher of the coach because there's never been a kid that has gotten the spot on a team because a parent went after the fact and talk.
Speaker 5: To a coach or talk to.
Speaker 2: Are you to be so upset if Julie tries out for let's say she tries out for soccer and doesn't make the soccer team.
Speaker 5: Absolutely it'll suck. I'll feel for but but we all went through that. We all went through that.
Speaker 1: You're going like, you're the best team guy. You're the best example of it right now because every day you're doing you know what I mean, like you're still strong and resilience and she can like a child, and I just want to know.
Speaker 10: We need to build resilience in our children just like that. We just want to wrap them in bubble wrap. I realize that, but it's it's not long term.
Speaker 8: It's not It is hard. And when you see them disappointed, so disappointed, ready for that?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: I even said to Chris, I'm like, why does it bother me so much that he got cut from the team? Why do I care?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 8: Why am I so invested? It does matter to me? But it does because he was so bummed. But you know what, to that kid's credit, he looked at me, he goes, I'm trying out again next year.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: I thought myself.
Speaker 4: Good for you, Leslie, look at that though.
Speaker 5: That's a win for you, Chris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that says that is a win.
Speaker 5: For you guys.
Speaker 7: The fact that he's willing to take that on the chin and say, you know what, next year, I'm going out now, I'm going to quit soccer forever and never going to play, So hang your hat on that. That's a win for you, guys.
Speaker 2: Leslie, thank you for letting us call you. I just wanted, you know, some some mom another mom opinion. But love your face tomorrow, see tomorrow, love you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, I think the end of the day is we all agree that we just need to do anything Unwrap the bubble. Wrap, wrap the bubble, like even when she falls.
Speaker 5: I'm like, kid, actually, no.
Speaker 2: Time out, time out, my girlfriend. I know we need to wrap this up. But my girlfriend Julie, what it was was touring a school and a kid said do you remember what he said?
Speaker 5: Yeah? He called her son like a dwep And.
Speaker 2: If we if somebody it does that in front of my face, Like, what am I going to do?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Guys, what a heated show. If you have any thoughts about all this, please email us at wind Down at iHeartRadio dot com. Big thank you to Joybird. Go to joybird dot com slash jan and receive an exclusive offer for twenty five percent off your first order by using the code Jana sleep number.
Speaker 7: You'll only find sleep number at one of their five hundred and seventy five sleep number stores nationwide. Visit sleep number dot com, slash Janna and find the nearest one to you.
Speaker 2: You with Lola up for forty percent of all subscription Visit mylovela dot com and enter Jana when you subscribe. This is a really fun show. This is good. I like this. Stay tuned. Oh we're back.
Speaker 1: There, we're back. Oh my god, you don't know. Seven rings go goodbye.
Speaker 5: I not like that one.