Speaker 1: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: It's Friday.
Speaker 3: There you go, stamp.
Speaker 4: Now, that's the way to kick off a fabulous fight song football State Championship Friday. And welcome to a special edition of mix Shots. Special two hours early edition of mix Shots, so you got extra time to listen to it again. That's today as we get you ready for Wow, what a football weekend this is. They got kickstarted last night with the first with the first got it got free kickstarted last.
Speaker 5: Night Bill with the first catch free kick since nineteen seventy six, A successful one anyway in high school or no, in.
Speaker 6: The game, Yeah, in the game that night. Yeah. I want to, I want to. I want to make their confused.
Speaker 4: Making I watched like way at the end, so you didn't see the halftime Now free Kike. Okay, we'll get to that. And we've got a college football playoff that kicks off tonight and the state championship weekend continues at at and T Stadium. We've already had two days of it in two big days ahead, and so here we go. We're ready for it.
Speaker 7: And then on Sunday the senior the senior team plays.
Speaker 4: That's right, the senior pros.
Speaker 7: You know what that?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: By the way, So where I go get my haircut? They had this old picture of the nineteen sixty three All American team. Wow, so Roger Staubach was on it. Okay, they had Dick Butkus listed as a guard. Really it had a g at it right. I don't know if they understood linebackers back then.
Speaker 6: I thought it was. Maybe it was.
Speaker 7: It was still a little running back too, I know, I remember that, or maybe high school.
Speaker 4: This was a college alums College Illinois, so maybe Illin maybe Buckus was so good he.
Speaker 7: Was still playing one platoon.
Speaker 4: He was still playing one platoon football platoons.
Speaker 7: Which reminded me that year. So it had been the sixty four, well that was the sixty three team. They were probably still drafting for sixty four and sixty three, I think, because they were doing it in November. Gaiale Sayers and Dick Buckets for the Bears. Wow, oh wow in one year.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, speaking of one platoon, two platoon football, we just and we didn't talk about this on Monday, but we did have a Heisman Trophy ceremony last Saturday night and Travis Hunter won it. And being a two way player, it reminded me of one of the great two way college players who wound up becoming a Pro Football Hall of Famer with the Dallas Cowboys. So who would I be talking about if a guy who played offense and defense in college, drafted by the Cowboys became a Pro Football Hall of Famer Cowboys And I'm talking way back to the sixties. Mel Renfro, that's exactly right, Yeah, and so what do I win? So Travis Hunter in many ways was like mel Renfro. If you watch Travis Hunter, that's what mel Renfro was like.
Speaker 6: Or does he have that kind of speed.
Speaker 4: Though, well I'm not not anymore.
Speaker 6: Does he talk about Olympic speed?
Speaker 7: Talking about.
Speaker 6: Uh that Olympic speed? Yeah he was, and he was like jump or something like that.
Speaker 4: I've got look it all up in a second. But you talk about a phenomenal athlete who wound up playing corner and safety in the National Football League, and I think they used him a little bit on offense early on.
Speaker 7: He was awfully good. As a matter of fact, do returns. Yeah, I don't know why this reminded me, but he told the story when we talked about coming to the Cowboys that they played. They played, I want to say it was a regular season game at the Cotton Bowl, and he was able to get special dispensation so his parents didn't have to sit in the black section really of the Cotton Bowl.
Speaker 6: O Cotton Bow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they got to sit like where all the white folks sat.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, that's that's nice. I'm sure they were comfortable.
Speaker 7: You're sitting in the seats for the goal line to the end line.
Speaker 6: That was.
Speaker 7: It just kind of reminds us nineteen sixty three in Dallas, Texas and Renfro.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking it up real quick. When he was in high school, he had lived in Houston and then the family moved to Portland and it was on a phenomenal high school team. But in high school at Jefferson High School in Portland, as a junior, he won the one to eighty low hurdles, the one twenty high hurdles, breaking the state record and the broad jump state titles. Nineteen sixty he brought two. Yeah, broad jump. He broke two Oregon Junior AAU championship records. One twenty high hurdles thirteen point nine seconds, nineteen point three one eighty low hurdles, twenty four foot broad jump, which.
Speaker 7: By the way, that's back when men were men running high and low, right, I.
Speaker 8: Had to do it myself. It was the three hundred lows and the highs or.
Speaker 4: Something, okay, and that Oregon he excelled for the track team and as a two way football player in All American halfback and defensive back.
Speaker 7: So which way do you think Hunter, Travis Hunter plays in the NFL?
Speaker 4: Where's the money?
Speaker 7: Wide receiver? Well it now is, but now maybe cornerback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean it was at cornerback, and now the cornerback money hasn't caught up here in the last year. The wide receiver money got up in the thirty five million dollars a year range, and the corners just haven't had a chance to catch up yet. And so it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 7: I can't remember who answered the questions. Somebody with the Cowboys or just another former NFL player was guessing or coach was guessing cornerback that wide receiver would take up too much of his time. Maybe I don't know, does that make sense?
Speaker 6: Or yeah, what do you think?
Speaker 8: I think the wide receiver plays, you know, a little bit more complicated because as a in the secondary right with the team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're in with the teams. That's easy, you know, you don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: He's pretty good, I think. I think initially you go cornerback and then you work him in at wide receiver.
Speaker 6: Did Yeah, there's a lot of plays.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got a great example of you got a great example of it. When Dion came here, of course, he was already established as a Pro Bowl cornerback in the league, but he had played he was playing baseball, okay, even when the Cowboys signed him up and through the first month of the season. Then he gets he comes to the Cowboys in October, and obviously he goes and plays cornerback, and by the end of the season he was getting a decent number of snaps at wide receiver too. In the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: In the Super Bowl and then the next year when Michael was suspended. They needed him at wide receiver too, and if you remember towards the end of the season, they kind of ran out in ninety six, they ran out of wide receivers and he was doing both. Michael got hurt in that game and Dion playing wide receiver I think, ended up fracturing his eye socket in the game. So there was Troy without most of his wide receivers.
Speaker 4: So if there was ever a coach that Travis Hunter needed to play.
Speaker 6: For, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 8: And so I still got to get back to this, this.
Speaker 6: Award that he did not get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, the Thorpe Award.
Speaker 6: So who ended up getting that?
Speaker 4: Use was it the Texas TB Baron?
Speaker 8: I don't remember the Texas TV. Yes, and I'm sure he's a great athlete. But for Hunter not to be even considered for that Jim th Up Award.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody's got to talk about that.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 8: I mean, this guy could have had he could have had a three for three, you know, he could have had a three for three, and I just think that's a damn shame and no one's even asking, like, you know, what happened? What happened? It's like, Okay, well, he's got enough. He should get everything that he's deserved.
Speaker 7: They spread it out.
Speaker 6: I don't know what's going on with that.
Speaker 7: Well, that interception, which was the game. He made the interception at the goal line to kind of save the day for Colorado. He came off his guy to pick the ball and it basically saved the game. Uh, the instincts to do that is incredible to me.
Speaker 4: It's like Honey Badger coming out of l s U. And I remember watching Tyron Matthew at the combine h and it was dB drills, but he looked like a wide receiver his ball skills and it was little wonder that he was a turnover machine on defense at LSU coming up?
Speaker 6: Has it been for him though?
Speaker 4: He's it's probably thirteen years in the.
Speaker 7: League or so, at least double digit, at least ten.
Speaker 4: I mean, and and a guy that would have been a first round draft pick and fell to the third round anyway.
Speaker 7: Well, and for you know, good reason, probably by the way.
Speaker 4: I remember winds up playing over a decade in the league.
Speaker 7: I remember when he came to the Senior Bowl and he hadn't been playing. He got suspended I think at LSU and So it was Sunday of the conference championship games, and we had gotten there early so we can watch the games. And we were at a place watching on TV, restaurant bar type place, and he comes wa fucking in, right, he's got in. He's got on a hat kind of pulled almost down to his eyes. He's got in dark shades, right, and some bulky jacket with baggy ass pants. Right. And he comes walking by. Well, and he wasn't because in that room in the back were all the scout bunch of scouts and everything. And he goes walking in there, right, And Alonso Highsmith was working scout for maybe I don't remember somebody, right. He had already played for the Cowboys, so I knew him. And he came walking in and went in the back, and he came back and uh, he saw us and said high and everything. And he sat down and I said, so, what did you think of the honey Badger?
Speaker 6: He said.
Speaker 7: I told him, under no uncertain terms, you are no longer the honey Badger. You better get yourself straight and don't come walking in here like a hudlum with all these scouts here, because they're going to control your your your history now, and he goes, I just couldn't believe he had sense to walk in looking like that, just like that.
Speaker 8: If he's child to be incognito, he's yeah, he failed and.
Speaker 6: Worse than.
Speaker 7: Looked like the guy yeah, and looked like the guy that got suspended.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it was twenty thirteen, was his draft here, so he's now twelve years in the NFL, and it was I want to say it was Patrick Peterson's dad who kind of took him under his wing and got him on the right track and and he went. And wasn't coincidence then that Arizona was the team that drafted him in the third round, that's quote unquote because that's where Peterson was. Yeah, And so all right, the fair catch free kick, So Mickey, it was at the end of the first half.
Speaker 7: So okay, And I'm glad you brought it up, because when I was driving in, they were getting ready to interview McCarthy this morning on the fan from the segment and they said, we're going to ask Kim if he knew anything about the free kick, and I'm going.
Speaker 3: Well, of course he does.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, I do. I love that you brought this up, Kirk herb Street, No, I think now on Amazon they've got the crowd. At least on my TV, the crowd noise is up to a level that it's hard to hear the announcer. Yeah, but I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, and I apologize if I'm wrong on this. I think what happened on it it was the fair catch, and there was a penalty on it. There was interference on it, and so there was a penalty that was tacked onto it. So there was a little bit of a delay for the Chargers to make that decision, and it got them into a position with the penalty that it was a fifty seven yard field goal, a makeable field goal. And I think during that delay, herber Street actually asked the question, sin does Harball know the rule?
Speaker 6: He did? He did? He did?
Speaker 7: Okay, I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't hear things.
Speaker 7: I could not believe.
Speaker 4: He said that for the same reason that you're you're saying that about McCarthy knowing the rule. I know the rule. How does an NFL head coach not know the rule? And what was what's hilarious about it? Now? In Harbaugh's postgame interview. First off, who was the last team to even attempt a fair catch free kick?
Speaker 6: It eight?
Speaker 4: No, that was the last one to make one seventy six. The last one to attempt one, Cowboys was Jim Harball.
Speaker 7: With the San Francisco forty.
Speaker 4: I swear, but but then in the postgame press conference, Harball of course was asked about it, and he said it's his favorite NFL rule.
Speaker 7: It's a great one. I could swear the Cowboys, I.
Speaker 4: Said, but I could not back on Herb Street. I could not believe Herb Street even uttered that, And then I thought, you know what, that's typical buck guy. The buck guy doesn't think the Michigan man. The buck guy doesn't think the Michigan man knows.
Speaker 7: Do you remember it? I mean, if I saw it in the NFL, it had to be the Cowboys. I could swear Tom tried it and it was a ridiculous.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't recall it, Douglas.
Speaker 8: I'm just surprised that this hasn't come up more often.
Speaker 4: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 6: Because I'm not gonna lie to you. I don't know the rule, especially in this so.
Speaker 4: You know where we learned the rule. I think more than anything. I think it was a parcels press conference. No more, I learned more football listed the parcels press conferences. But anyway, Douglas Barrick Douglas Barrick Loow texted me, uh, says, I remember Landry trying a fair catch free kick before halftime in the eighties with Raffael's sept the end. Yes, it was a very long hits.
Speaker 7: So you had to be there and it was long. It didn't come close, but it was going to be like sixty five seventy yards I think. But they called the fair catch, and everybody's going, what are they doing?
Speaker 4: Why they call a fair catch?
Speaker 7: And I'm going, because he gets to get a free kick here, Like.
Speaker 8: I do not recall a free kick. I do not recall every kick.
Speaker 4: Every time that there is a punch situation at the end of the half like that. That's that's what goes through my mind. Call a fair catch, yeah, because it is.
Speaker 7: I mean, think about Aubrey.
Speaker 4: I mean, he kicks the ball seventy yards before for a touchback right, and you get a free run at it?
Speaker 7: So why not?
Speaker 4: I mean, but you got it truly truly with a kicker like Aubrey, whether it's into the half, into the game, the posing teams have to be thinking about it.
Speaker 6: It has to be into the half end of the game. Yeah, that's right, that's the only time you get it.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I never really thought about a free kick. I swear I never thought about a free kick, and so I've been in the game where there was.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure because if I saw it, it was to be eighty four. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's been tried at numerous times, but the last one to make it was nineteen seventy six Ray Worshing, who was an Austrian kicker. But as you know, Mickey, he was not the first Austrian kicker in the national football I know that, okay, Yeah, and that was Tony Fridge, that's right, in nineteen seventy one with the calviny Australian, Austrian, Australia, Australia.
Speaker 7: That's why ever said I said that, you know it.
Speaker 4: Mickey Eversin doesn't know it because he thinks he's Australia.
Speaker 6: I talk with Australia. All right.
Speaker 4: We got so much more to get to on a fabulous football fight song Free Kick Friday.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 9: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Scotts slides with the first.
Speaker 9: Down, investilate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 4: Grow My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 9: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 10: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off. I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yeti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. More than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Demitt Shuts.
Speaker 8: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by Visiline. Don't miss your chance to learn about the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at dance camps on December twenty seventh and former NFL players at football camps on December twenty third and twenty seventh. Celebrate the holidays with the Dallas Cowboys. Register today at dallascowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's clear it up from the last second, let's do that. On the freekick. You can do the freekick at any point you're in the game. It's not just when time has expired at the end of a half or end of a game, or sort.
Speaker 7: Of like the NFL limiting when you can on sidekick now only in the fourth quarter, right in the fourth Yeah, yeah, I got a question.
Speaker 6: Yes, has a question.
Speaker 12: If say Aubrey lines up for a fair catch free kick and it's like an eighty yarder, does that count as a field goal, as the longest field goal in the NFL history. If it's a free kick, does.
Speaker 7: That make sense? Yeah, because he could probably make it.
Speaker 12: I don't especially especially if it's a because there's no rush, you can make.
Speaker 7: It lower to the ground.
Speaker 12: That's so if he makes like say say he goes he lines up for a seventy yarder, which would be the NFL record, and he does it through a fair catch free kick. Is that considered the longest field goal NFL? I think so because there's no rush, that's why.
Speaker 6: But I wouldn't like that. Here's what I think it should be used.
Speaker 8: There are times when we waste a lot of time if you're down by two scores and you waste a whole lot of time trying to score a touchdown, when sometimes you can just kick that damn field goal and now you can be strategic, which.
Speaker 4: Is what the Broncos did at the end of the game last night. They as soon as Peyton got in field goal range in a minute left, were down ten, and as soon as they got in field goal range, he kicked at fifty something.
Speaker 7: Well, Washington against the Yeah, it's like second or third.
Speaker 8: Could just recall it should be done a lot more often, because there are times when you're wasting all of your timeouts and precious time to get to get that touchdown. Man, just get the field goal right quick. Okay, now let's do something on sidekick on side.
Speaker 4: You're even saying, how about doing it with three minutes left where you're not in a position where you have to unsite where you you got a team backed up and they're putting out of their own end zone. They get it out to the fifty rather than returning it right, just go ahead and fair catch it right there. Okay, get you and get your three points.
Speaker 8: Get it out of the way, because we always spend this time, and we we spend precious time. Next thing, you start off with a minute. Next thing you know, you're down to twenty seconds and you score a touchdown.
Speaker 4: I guarantee, I guarantee you. There have been times when I've watched my team play and I've thought, let's just let's just fair catch and free kick because we aren't moving the ball on offense at.
Speaker 8: You you haven't moved it, like you said about.
Speaker 4: That often this season with my Oklahoma team.
Speaker 8: But I mean it could. It could apply to so many different situations. It shouldn't be something that odd, you know, it should be something that's normal.
Speaker 4: All right, now, moving.
Speaker 7: On settled all that is there a game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: There is a game on Sunday. Tampa Bay Buccaneers are coming here, and big game for them, big.
Speaker 7: Game for the Cowboys, obviously for the Cowboys, right they can't lose otherwise they're done.
Speaker 4: Hopefully it'll be a big game for the Cowboys. And for it to be a big game for the Cowboys, Washington, Washington has to lose to Philadelphia Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 7: Is it a noon or three?
Speaker 4: I think it's noon, but I'll check it out.
Speaker 6: That'd be nice so we can know something.
Speaker 7: Well, that would be a downer to have to go play a game when you know, now it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: How about three games every week?
Speaker 6: Right, that's the way it's going to be. Yeah, and it's our own fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I remember during those five and eleven years, Brad and Babe would be lamenting the fact that we got to call two games here at the end of the season that don't mean anything. At that time, I was doing Ranger games and they'd be out of it by August first. Try and call it sixty games that don't mean anything.
Speaker 6: Well, that's where Brad turns into a comedian.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, and I just.
Speaker 6: Listened to it for the sarcast.
Speaker 7: What do you think's worse like losing the last game of the season or the first round of the playoffs, and all of a sudden everything comes to screeching or knowing in mid December that it's halted. That's the worst that is, right, because I always thought that, you know, you go one hundred miles an hour and then all of a sudden the season stops because you lost that last game. But knowing you had to play it through like eighty nine.
Speaker 8: Well that's when you start thinking of, well, I better keep playing because someone might be watching. Yeah, so that the incentive is still there, you know, but I you know, when you're talking about class of eighty nine, it wasn't a lot of people, except it was a lot of people would allowed different options.
Speaker 7: And a lot of we're going to be there anyway before where were you looking up?
Speaker 4: It is a Eagles Commanders at noon on Sunday.
Speaker 7: So I can watch that before I Washington.
Speaker 4: It is in Washington, that's right over Maryland.
Speaker 7: They're only away game is Cowboy. Well, if they win, they clinched the NFC.
Speaker 4: Well, and the other thing is they're now in the hunt for the Yeah, home for the bye, first round bye because of the Lions loss. Lions are at twelve and two, Eagles are at twelve and two, and the Vikings are at twelve and two. Right now, the Lions have If the season we're in right toward to end, right now, the Lions have the tiebreaker and would get the first round by But that's also.
Speaker 7: Do they have it against the Eagles. I don't know the NFC. I bet it's the NFC, depending on who you because that's how the Cowboys. If they tied at nine and eight with everybody except Atlanta, the Cowboys with the Rams, Arizona, and who's the other team that's Seattle get in Seattle, they would Cowboys would have a better NFC record than all three of those teams. The unfortunate thing it would be again more against Atlanta too. But they got beat by Atlanta.
Speaker 4: How did that happen?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the quarterback got hurt. Number one? Yeah, fake punt went all right. Number two.
Speaker 7: Probably didn't run the ball.
Speaker 4: So and then Tampa Bay Micah wasn't there, that's right, maybe number one.
Speaker 7: And then Tampa Bay needs to keep winning because they're only a game ahead of Atlanta for that division title, and Atlanta's already beat them twice, so they can't tie.
Speaker 6: They need to be placing their quarter Yes, I know that's crazy.
Speaker 7: I think it's for the best We're gonna find out.
Speaker 8: That's what I was going to say, We're gonna find out because this will be that's a bold move back.
Speaker 7: His first start, no matter how bad badly Cousins was playing.
Speaker 4: And his first horribly not only Pennix's first start, his first pass will be his sixth pass in the National Football League.
Speaker 6: Heavy run, heavy run.
Speaker 4: Well John run, that's what they've been relying on. They're trying to incorporate a little past game and a little quarterback run game to it too. Like maybe there haven't been a lot of scrambled drills going on.
Speaker 6: That's why.
Speaker 8: That's why Cousins just throws it when he can. That's his only opportunity. He's not going to scramble his way out of it.
Speaker 4: And who's the Falcons playing?
Speaker 7: I they have?
Speaker 4: Why am I looking at that? Oh? They're playing the Giants. That's right, They're playing the Giants. That's a new Yeah, that's the reason that that's another there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, So where are you going next on this Tampa Bay preview?
Speaker 7: How about the updated injury reporting?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's do that and then we will do our picks and more on the game.
Speaker 7: So the Cowboys now have just three guys did not practice, and we knew Trayvon Diggs was one of those. Eric Kendricks still has a calf and some personal reasons, so he went through this last week he didn't practice and then I think he practiced on Saturday maybe and ended up playing awfully well. And Vigil. I don't think it's practice for two months a month and with a foot, but he has played. So TJ Bass has moved to limit it limited limited, uh Tumadoga limited, Jordan Lewis limited, and Mazzy Smith went from not practicing to limited. So that's good news. The Bucks have three guys, four guys that haven't practiced. They're tight end Cade Otten, safety, Antoine Winfield, left tackle.
Speaker 4: We'res Tristan Warps. You named three of their best players.
Speaker 7: And the other guy was one two three, Oh that was that. Oh Trey Palmer U was ill their wide receiver. So the one guy that was two guys that were did not practice on Wednesday. Uh kJ Britt linebacker moved to limited and Mike Evans limited, one more Sterling Shepherd limited. So those guys it is probably.
Speaker 6: Will end up playing. Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, load managers, but they do their load management in practice rather than in games, unlike the NBA. The Mavericks last night did they not play players? Last night?
Speaker 7: Irving and Dunsconce were listed as injuries.
Speaker 4: Because they weren't playing for the NBA.
Speaker 7: Come you know what that thousand line right? I was watching in the fourth quarter and it was like, well, where is every morning?
Speaker 4: You know? I flipped over and watched and I thought I couldn't tell which team was whitch because I didn't recognize any players. And then I saw Derek Lively. Okay, so the Mavericks were in white, and the court looked different, the team, the jersey looked different. What it was I was watching, So I went back to football.
Speaker 7: They finally got it. They finally got eight to eight points, and I'm going, Okay, this is gonna be good. And then I'm looking around. I'm going, well, no, it's not because.
Speaker 4: The game Yeah, uh okay, we're gonna take a break and come back. And I just since I went looking for the schedule ever since I saw today's schedule, and I just realized why we're on at ten am today instead of noon, and that's because there's a bowl game at eleven. Jacksonville State is yeah, Ohio, and so Mickey didn't want to do so well at Jacksonville State. Was going on, all right, that's shots.
Speaker 7: In just a moment, they probably could beat Jackson State.
Speaker 10: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to a T and T stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yetti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing, jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Prescotts it slides for.
Speaker 9: The first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 4: Perthquick throw My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the day?
Speaker 9: To visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages for pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail game party Texas, tour.
Speaker 6: The Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 8: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 1: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday morning Swacker Brisket and the Smoker Miller Lite and the Cool America's team playing America's greatest sports. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, fort Worth, Texas Devict Shuts.
Speaker 8: Amanda Foster has been named You Are twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. Vote for Amanda to be named the ultimate NFL Fan of the Year at NFL dot com slash Fan.
Speaker 6: Of the Year.
Speaker 7: And when we're going to find that out, I think they do it before the Super Bowl because that person gets a free trip. Whoever wins, I believe.
Speaker 6: Man, Good luck Amanda.
Speaker 7: Where are we tomorrow?
Speaker 6: Cool wins?
Speaker 7: Where are we tomorrow? The omni Okay, no, I thought it was. It's not in on legacy.
Speaker 12: Let me see we're on the Yeah, we're there to back you up to the Fan of the year. All fans of the year for each team do go to the Super Bowl and they announce the Fan of the Year at NFL Honors.
Speaker 7: But they all get to go. They free get to go. They get a free trip to the super Bowl. Yes, so we're next door tomorrow at one fifteen. Okay is that what you said? Okay?
Speaker 6: Toy? Okay?
Speaker 4: So you're doing that at one fifteen to.
Speaker 7: One file, so that first game is not going to be over with. I bet by.
Speaker 4: Time we you're talking about the Coast Football Playoff SMU and Ben States. Boy, that's a tough what. It's snowing there too, snowing at Notre Dame too, South Bend.
Speaker 7: But Notre Dame doesn't have one hundred and eight thousand people.
Speaker 4: They got touchdown. Jesus though.
Speaker 7: That makes up for thirty thousand.
Speaker 6: Waite Bill said that this sound is so honymous.
Speaker 4: Jesus.
Speaker 7: The big Man's Big Man.
Speaker 4: Babe Laffenburg sent me a text last night. He's in Chicago.
Speaker 7: I heard he went.
Speaker 4: He sent me a text he's got an Indiana letter jacket on. And then I woke up this morning and I Notre Dame and tweeted out picture of the stadium, snow covered stadium with a snowman. And I texted him back and said, I hope you got a lot of layers under that Indiana letter jacket.
Speaker 6: But the entire Great Lakes area it's just all snowed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I thought I was thinking, Okay, they started this first round college football playoff at home stadiums on December nineteenth and twentieth or whatever the date is. And I'm like, well, yeah, you deserve that if you got to start at that lake. And then so that I looked, they should have started this like the first weekend in December, and I looked up South Bend. The temperature today the temperature is up to thirty five and snow. Well two weeks ago it was the highway was twenty nine.
Speaker 7: We gotten mat it did make it any and South Bend is like gets all the backwash from Lake Michigan. M okay, because we used to get it before Lake Michigan growing up, and then they got it afterwards.
Speaker 8: So I believe I spent with two teams. I'm sitting on the Great Lakes. That's tough, man. Never thought i'd be doing that.
Speaker 4: So uh And in Penn State that's in the twenties probably tomorrow, okay, so ever since? Is it a home field advantage for teams that are in the northern climbs these days? Is it a home field advantage for those players playing in twenty degrees against the team from the south.
Speaker 6: I agree, yeah, I do. Okay, Well, did it help you think it did well?
Speaker 8: I've never oh yeah, well when I played up in Cleveland or when I played in New York. Yes, so you were oh it's cold, okay, Well yeah, yeah, we felt we felt like and the crowd too, seemed to get more involved in the game.
Speaker 6: You know, when the weather seemed to be on our.
Speaker 7: Site, the exhaust come out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I don't know what it is, but they seem to have a lot more energy because you know, the fans, they get into that. I think the fans like the cold better than the players like the cold. It seems like they enjoyed Well, I'm with you now, but once again, we're down here.
Speaker 6: The ones up there, they're.
Speaker 8: Accustomed to that, and I think that they really do believe that that gives them an edge.
Speaker 7: I'm just thinking they don't practice in it, right, They just live in it, and living in it is not playing in it.
Speaker 8: But to me, it seems to that they seemed to work out in the home team's favor.
Speaker 6: It seems to work out almost every time.
Speaker 8: And of course, unless you got another cold team cold weather team coming in. But if you're talking about Miami going up to Buffalo, then we know what that's about. You're talking about San Diego going up to play in Cincinnati and it's minus fifty six degrees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and in that case, it's like the team is built the way the team is put together throwing the football with Dan fouts or you know, in the case of Dolphins now with Tua and Tyreek and speak great winners negated. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: So come on, so before we do our picks, you're the defensive coordinator. What are you doing with Mike Evans?
Speaker 6: I got a double.
Speaker 8: Team in many in key situations, okay, in key situations. Every team has their tendencies. And if I see a particular formation, or if I anticipate a particular situation that to where I know they're going to go to them, then yes, I'm going to consider at least at least favoring a safety or a linebacker to his side at least.
Speaker 7: But other times, would you, I mean, think about it. The Cowboys are down cornerback.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well they better, they better know how to play safe. Just the way we played against I can't remember the team that we just ended up playing against, and they were throwing all of the sideline routes, throwing all the out routes. You have to minimize the damage backs. You gotta minimize the damage. If you know that your cornerback is someone that's coming off a practice field going against this guy future.
Speaker 7: Hall of Famer, then he's got a back off.
Speaker 8: He's got a back off. Well, I mean, if you feel like you can get up in this grill. But here's what you have to do. Regardless of what your technique is, your mindset has to be. There are certain plays I can't give up and certain ones that I have to give up. So if you're looking at those out routes, you gotta give up the outside routes. And I don't mean the outside routes all the way down the field. I'm not talking about nine you know, going on the ninth route.
Speaker 6: That's outside as well.
Speaker 8: I'm talking about keeping everything to a minimum so that we can live to play another down.
Speaker 7: Okay, you have.
Speaker 8: To do that with Big T because if you saw the game, the one we just lost with the punt, we were just talking about it as Cincinnati Cincinnati, you realize how many deep sidelines we gave up, but we stayed in the game.
Speaker 6: Was still in the game. We still didn't give up a bunch of touchdowns.
Speaker 8: We kept it to the deep outs, anything that tried to come inside. We were strong inside, just the way we always played it. With the flex, you have to do that while you're concentrating on playing the run. You can't do both simultaneously, well, especially with this show.
Speaker 7: Do you think when I watched Tampa Bay play and I see Evans uncovered blown coverage, Yeah, yeah, I mean I've never seen a guy that's so good, so wide open.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean when you look at us, we tend to have some blown coverages.
Speaker 7: As well, but these were for touchdowns.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, and well we did touch shot.
Speaker 7: I saw it.
Speaker 8: So my point is we have to make sure. First of all, we can't have wild open all over the place, but we have to make sure that we stay within the scheme of the defense. Don't get greedy. Don't get greedy. If you can make a play, of course, the play is there to be made.
Speaker 6: We don't.
Speaker 8: There's a there's a fine line be playing between playing safely and not playing well at all. There's a fine line between that.
Speaker 6: You got, I.
Speaker 7: Shouldn't pick Deron Bland from my pick to click.
Speaker 8: Now, Deron Bland is the man I'm talking about. These other cornerbacks well.
Speaker 7: He's got to go find them, I think.
Speaker 8: Do you think, well, we're not sure necessarily if he's going to be traveling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 8: Because they do have a couple of other decent wide receivers.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes they do, because I saw so. If you think about it, when the Cowboys played that NFC title game against San Francisco the ninety fours, they they were gonna put they were gonna put double on Michael Irvin and let Dion take out Taylor. No, no, no on the Cowboy. Dion was with San francska. Okay, he's taking and our Elvin Harper. And then the second half started and that wasn't working. So they put Dion on Michael and that didn't work either. But that's the way they That's right, I saw. You know, there's two ways to do it. You're doubling the best guy and then singling take that guy out with somebody else. Be interested to see how they treat that.
Speaker 4: Okay, y'all ready for your picks. Okay, ever, since you're up first.
Speaker 8: Well, I like to know what we what we need to do before I tell you what we're gonna do. Okay, Well, what we need to do. I think we need to stop the run. I think that's gonna be our number one goal. That's what's made us I think a better defense in the last i'd say four or five games is the fact that we have concentrated on the run and we I think we have sacrifice to pass just to bed. So I'm still going with my line backers. One of my linebackers as our you know what, I'm not going linebacker since we talked about him. So take my guy Osa. I'm taking Osa. I'm taking with at least i'd say at least three quarterback hits. Okay, I wanted to get a sack. Gotta be nice if he got a fumble recovery. But I'm not doing all of that. So I'm looking for us to play the run very well. We're going to give up some on the past. It's going to give up. We're going to give up some scores. But I still look at us winning. It's going to be a tight game. Guys, twenty eight to twenty four. He almost Cowboys win almost dowenty eight.
Speaker 4: Twenty eight, twenty four and Osha.
Speaker 6: Ulsa with a sack, and I want to least three quarterback.
Speaker 4: Hits because because I tell you I'm actually going to raakage down.
Speaker 8: Fakage Baker Mayfield. You know, when you flush him out of that pocket, it's feast of fa He'll take some chance, He'll take some chances.
Speaker 4: Okay, Mickey, what do you got?
Speaker 7: So I got a cake? Get off of Osa? Now you don't have that was gonna be my pick. I'm taking OSA. Okay, And I got I just wrote it down before you even said it. Twenty seven to twenty four.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, okay, how about that?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: Great minds? Now what you're saying? Well, first off, and I was gonna say, and the winning field goal is Brandon ha Haarbury from seventy yards.
Speaker 6: There you go on the Freaki on the frea kid, Okay, I got nothing.
Speaker 4: I got nothing else that was mine.
Speaker 7: I figured that.
Speaker 4: Rafael's Septi inn, by the way, narrowly missed a rare free kick from fifty three yards away with twenty two seconds left, giving the Houston Oilers a seventeen fourteen victory over the Dallas Cowboys Saturday night at Irving, Texas. This was the final preseason game of nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 7: S there, so there was it was a preseason preseason.
Speaker 4: Game in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 7: Who found that?
Speaker 4: I looked it up.
Speaker 7: No, who found it?
Speaker 4: Who found it? It was a it's a La Times story. I googled it and it's in the La Times archive from nineteen eighty six. Danny White drove Dallas toward a potential winning touchdown before fumbling a snap from center that was recovered by Houston, and then they punted the ball back with twenty two seconds left. Danny White was still in the game. And it wasn't the fourth preseason game. It was the fifth preseason game of nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 7: They played the All American or the Hall of Fame Game. No No, in London, Oh.
Speaker 4: In nineteen eighty six. I's tried. They were the American American Bowl Game. Yeah, in London, that's right. Anyway, Uh, what was the Cowboys record that preseason that preseason?
Speaker 6: Yep, five games five games, two and three.
Speaker 13: One and four oh and five, which goes to show it doesn't mean anything because you started off six and two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we sucked eventually sucked.
Speaker 7: With the number one offense in the league.
Speaker 4: So I'm going with uh, Baker Mayfield, as you've alluded to has a propensity to especially coming off a four touchdown game with no picks.
Speaker 6: He's good about him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's due to throw in a couple more picks, and it's Deron Bland is going to have at least one pick, and I'm thinking probably two picks. That's a game, Okay, it's going to go right down to the wire, and the Buccaneers are going to be forced to punt from deep in their own into the field. Had uh fair catch much even though Cavante wants to return it. He will return this Even though he wants to return it, They're gonna Fossil Is gonna figure out a way to convince him to fair catch it. He's gonna show him this video of what happened in the Charger game on Thursday night.
Speaker 6: And I don't think it will.
Speaker 4: Be Brandon Aubrey's with a You said seventy yard, okay, I'll go seventy one.
Speaker 6: Yard yeah, free kick?
Speaker 4: He get free kick, yeah, to win the game. Twenty seven twenty four. Man, So I got twenty seven twenty four. You got twenty seven to twenty four. You got twenty eight twenty four. So there you go. That's what's gonna happen to kick to wrap up a sensational football weekend.
Speaker 7: So it wouldn't have worked in the Cincinnati game if they didn't block the punt because he's probably catching it at the twenty yard line.
Speaker 4: M hmm.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 7: So that's a little that's asking. He can kick it eighty with a running start, but maybe not accurate.
Speaker 4: Okay, real quick before we go, uh, Notre Dame Indiana, who wins? And tonight you got Indiana?
Speaker 6: Man, I love that running game.
Speaker 4: Indiana wins all road running.
Speaker 7: I can't. I can't pull for a Notre Dame SMU.
Speaker 4: Penn State.
Speaker 8: Ah, my heart says SMU. Your head, but that weather says Penn State.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm with him. All rights and Texas play at three o'clock tomorrow. I got Texas, Texas, Texas.
Speaker 7: Wait, what are you're not participating?
Speaker 4: I'll go Notre Dame, I'll go s m U and I'll go Texas. And then Tennessee plays Ohio State.
Speaker 8: Tennessee, Yeah, Tennessee. Tennessee's looking to go at Thehose State.
Speaker 4: I go Ohio State, okay.
Speaker 7: In the Big House. And then Oregon, Oh no.
Speaker 4: The eyes okay, so that's uh. And then finally South Oak Cliff Highlight in Park, South Lake, Carrol, and North Crowley. Okay, these are just the five A and six A. How many state champions come out of here? Four?
Speaker 1: All?
Speaker 4: Four?
Speaker 7: Let's go all right?
Speaker 6: So we we'll do it all right?
Speaker 7: Also, Dallas, that's right.
Speaker 6: Very good. You notice my I'm checking you out, my Carrol Dragon.
Speaker 7: Second, okay, that's where I'm going to be tomorrow.
Speaker 4: After three o'clock.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, you don't have to work.
Speaker 4: You know what what I did to help get that coach hired at age twenty nine? Dolly, I'm going to be there if he wins the state champion. You're going to be on the sideline as the mayor of South Lake. By the way, are those games on so many broadcasts?
Speaker 7: They're on fan duel? What does that mean?
Speaker 4: That which used to be bally Sports? Okay, but okay, the difference is now if you get if you got Bally Sports on direct TV, then you have access to or whatever. If not, which I don't, you can pay for the stream.
Speaker 7: It's a monthly deal. You can pay twenty to twenty five, so it's.
Speaker 4: It's twenty dollars and you it's a month to month deal where you can cancel it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because all that fan duel has now is at least on I went to look it up. They have high school football playoff state championship games and they got WNBA. That's all. So when the WNBA season, Mickey starts, you can I like the well that's what I'm saying. You can wait until the season starts and then you can subscribe again. Yeah, all right, does it have a great football weekend and we'll be back to talk about all the winners, including the Cowboys on Monday at noon, O Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club