Speaker 1: That was a hit, and I ain't think it was gonna be a hit.
Speaker 2: With one minute, man, you will put this out, Jim you crazy, This is jam all my girl.
Speaker 1: The girl's gonna cray. I'm like, yeah, I bet that with girl what going crazy? Hell died. We didn't like it, but then what it blew up? I said that girl, missus. She knows that from that point on you never questioned anything. It was like Game of Thrones.
Speaker 3: Yes, my Queen, all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle, bat price, want to Slice, got the brother of Geist Swatt all my life. I'p be grinding all my life, all my life, and grinding all my life, sacrifice hustle, bat to Price, Wan Slice, got the brother of Geist Swash all my life.
Speaker 1: I've been grinding all my life.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to another edition of Club Shay Shay. I am your host, Shannon Sharp. I'm also the propriud of Club sha Shay. And the guy that's stopping by for conversation and a drink today is a global icon. He has more top ten hits than Elvis and the Beatles, twenty one Grammy nominations, four wins, a DJ superduce. He was a rapper, songwriter, executive entrepreneur, the emperor of sound, none other than Tim Land.
Speaker 1: Tim, what's up right? I'm blessed? How you doing? You know what? Brother?
Speaker 2: When you come on the show and I have someone to distinguished it yourself, I got to told your career and more things to come appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Mm got your mom with those out there you are conyac drink this rame here Ooh that shame shame.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Shame. Yes, thanks for stopping by. How you doing? I'm great, man, I'm blessed. I'm blessed. You know what.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the beginning. I wanna go start back when you go all the way back to Virginia. I was reading your story. You have a man, you have a very interesting life, and you accomplished some great things. But this almost didn't happen at sidently got shot working at Red Lobster. What transpired? How did this event come about? I was a kid who always just loved music, you know, growing from the South. As I look back at it now, we really wasn't you know my parents God bless him, but we really wasn't taught, you know, like we can go higher.
Speaker 1: Right. I was just a kid who always dreamed so big, and I'm like, I gotta this music thing is just on my heart. So even when I got shot.
Speaker 2: I still it's just it's just something I had to do as a kid, as that was my calling because I was a dishwasher working at Red Lobster and music just called me.
Speaker 1: And then you get shot of the dishwasher, you in the back. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: But you know, how were young and my own boy had a gun. He said, Yo, I'm gonna get your I'm gonna get your boy. I'm gonna get your boy.
Speaker 1: Waits.
Speaker 2: So this is the craziest thing. We It's like a promo for a fight. And high school kids like, wait to the football game. I'm gonna get you. You could have been for it, right, but they waited. They built this up. So my whole boy grabbed a removal and he was putting up in the bag. He said, wait till the night's game. And as he was putting up in the bag, he said, I said, man, And I was turning around the clock out and I turned around, pow and I walked off, and I thought my arm was on the ground and I said.
Speaker 1: What my arm mad? One my arm? I said, well, my arm on my arm, and what happened? My whole nerve this side got paralyzed.
Speaker 2: It was paralyzed for like about a year, two years, right, and I had to go to therapy. But I was like, yo, the only thing I was thinking about how much DJ so.
Speaker 1: As you as you're bleeding, what's going through your mind? You're thinking like, man, man damn, I asked the dude accidentally shot me. I got so much of it because, like you said, you had dream big. Yeah, I got dreams. I got to fulfill what's going through your mind. I can't DJ no more.
Speaker 2: My arm ain't working, so I said, I got to figure this out.
Speaker 1: Right, So I wasn't thinking about even dying. Okay. You know my parents, that's one thing. They stood.
Speaker 2: They stood strong, and the doctors was like telling them, we don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I know, I'm gonna live.
Speaker 2: That's just the attitude, because I felt like God wasn't finished with me yet, right, And the only thing I was really concerned about was could I use his arm again? Because it was my my scratch DJ hand I could and that was the only thing I was worried about as life went on. I'm like, wait, man, can I live weights?
Speaker 1: Can I train?
Speaker 2: Can I do all of that? But I just constantly believe. I think it was my faith that knowing I would get better, you know what I'm saying. And you see what's transfired in the rap community. We see pop smoke get run down on. We see what happened to Dolf, Young Dolph, We see some extension, We see some of the guys that have lost their life. Do you look back and say, damn, man, I'm very fortunate because this thing could have really ended. My life could have ended.
Speaker 1: Forget the DJ and in what I became, but my life could have ended before it got started.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny, like I'm glad you're asking that because I think I go through some PTSD over that to this day, because when you look at all the young people dying today, I just break down and thank God and say, you know, what is my purpose while am I here? Because I do have like some nightmares of that gun going off, and I still like I might you might see me jerk a little bit because it's just a flashback, and I think it didn't come as my career was going. It comes like now as you become older, has it become a man come reflective exactly? And it really like I see why people like sometimes go crazy because.
Speaker 1: The past catch up with you.
Speaker 2: And I think I kind of relive it here and there and I just rethinkful and this just be that's all you can be. But it do put me down because I'm like, I could not have been here, especially when I hear when like young dolphin people and it's like a gunshot is a gunshot. I got shot right in the neck. All I had to do is turn one simple way I'd have been out of here. But by me turning slight, it goes through here and the bullets still in me and they couldn't take it out because they're afraid. They never paralyzed the whole right side. So I just think about you know now, just be like it all hit me just driving in the car and I just thank God that I'm still here, you know what I'm saying, a lot of guys like like Lebron, all he said all he thought about was playing basketball. He was also a two sport guys played football also, but basketball since his mom gave me. I think he was like four years old game that basketball and you hear baseball players say since my dad gave me a bat and a glove, and it was all about baseball and guys with football. With you, you always had a beat in your head that you was like, man, this is what I want to do. This is what did you know? Like, Okay, I'm gonna be a DJ, I'm gonna be a producer. So what was it? I didn't know what I was gonna be. I would just let music guide me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I was a great DJ in high school until Missy came into my life. That's when she told me that I was a great producer.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Missy gave me all the confidence in the world and she pushed me to be who I am today. If it wasn't for her, the connection of friends meeting friends from the neighborhood, like minded people connecting us, and Missy was like, I was the only reason why I start doing beats is because the music that people was making I ain't like and I wanted to blend my beats with like Stephanie Mills or Michael Jackson human nature.
Speaker 1: And so my mom couldn't afford a keyboard. She she brought me this Cassio keyboard and on the consample for one second, and I started, I said, what can I do a one second? I was like, I said, oh, if I speed to wreck.
Speaker 2: It up this way with my hand, not on the forty five when you click it up. I so I sped it up real fast on that and slowed it down the last key. So I slowed down time. So how did you, I mean, how did you know to do that? I mean no, I mean you you self taught.
Speaker 1: No one. It's not like you you classically trained, or you went to Juilliard or you went to some of these super producers that could tell you this. You your self taught. I just now realized that.
Speaker 2: I just like, if there's a will, there's a way, because like I wasn't smart in school.
Speaker 1: I was like looking at people. I didn't get that answer. But you know, from my I believe that I feel like I had a dyslexia.
Speaker 2: Like but I feel like I got to use my imperfection to be perfection. So me not being self taught, it just caught figuring it out, solving the problem. Right, how do I get one second? My mom can't afford to buy another keyboard. I got to do this music. So I just sat there for weeks, in weeks, maybe months, and.
Speaker 1: Said, ah, let me slow up time.
Speaker 2: Speed it up, speed up one thing, Slow down there, yeah, slow down the other. I'm looking at you, look at for rail walls, Missi of a cliff, push your t All of you guys are Virginia. I mean, did you realize, like when you're going through what you're going through and you look back, say, twenty five years ago, thirty years ago, did you realize you guys will be now for real? Wings We know what he is in the music, super producer. Also now he's the creative director at Louis Vuitton. Did you know that you guys would be what you became?
Speaker 1: I knew Pharrell would have been great, Okay, I knew Missy was great.
Speaker 2: I knew we had something special. I knew all of us had something special. I didn't know it would go to this point.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I just know that New York was like the bubbling state, and we wanted to be heard from Virginia and people. People was like yo, that Timberland sound. I didn't know I was creating the sound we didn't know he was creating the sound. Parrell didn't know he was creating the sound. We were just like minded people, just doing great music. And Teddy got a hold of Pharrell first, and Teddy so Pharrell was the first one to really venture off and really understood the studio.
Speaker 1: And that real limelight. And then it was me and Missy and.
Speaker 2: Pharrell kept telling like Teddy like, yo, it's his other group, it's this other guy named Timberland and Missy Elliott that you.
Speaker 1: Need to hear.
Speaker 2: And I guess Missy came up to the studio with Teddy so she heard, you know. And Teddy was doing this thing with Michael Jackson. Parell was helping out. But we all kind of knew that we was destined to be something. We just didn't know what it was and to think about. We didn't think like that. A lot of people today get caught up into the money to all this stuff. We didn't think like that. It was the getting better to be proven, to say we made it. We gotta put us at the table, give us a seat at the table, because you know, New York had it popping kid Capri all this and want no music come out out of Virginia. So our purpose was give us a seat at the table. We deserved that, we deserved to be hurt. It wasn't about making a lot of money. It wasn't about we just know that we had something special right and it needed to be hurt, and we stuck to it. We didn't like we made ways out of no ways, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We rolled in one.
Speaker 2: Car, six people, you know what I'm saying, to go to a studio session, everybody chipping for gas money, And it was the love of the music that kept us, that kept us going to know that we didn't have no money.
Speaker 1: Music made us fell rich.
Speaker 2: So you wanted to put you wanted Virginia to be on the map for music. You got your has great athletes, you got Alan Irison, Bruce Smith, I mean, Michael Vick, sweet Peete Whittaker. So you had we had some pantheon iconic athletes. And then like, but we ain't got no music. Let's put Virginia on the map for music. Yeah, And and I guess Pharrell was the first one to kind of bust down the door. That then came Missy, and Missy came with like, uh that Gina Thompson.
Speaker 1: He he he hih.
Speaker 2: Then everybody like, who is this girl? Then from there came she. She put me on, so I was a part of her. And then when we left Jodasy, we was with Joashy at one time, and then we left Jodasy and we had this song called Sugar and Spice, me and Missy and that song got to Creg Carmon what you got to a lib? And Liia said, I don't like the words, I don't like the song Sugar and Spice, but I want to work with the people who did that. I want to work with the guy who did the beat and whoever wrote the song. And from that point on, Virginia sound was on the map. How did you and Missy get started? Were you friends before she heard your beats? Did you guys go to school? Did you go to rival schools? How did Missy and Timberland come to be? Missy and Timberland came to be because of a friend of mine named I think Melvin Nouir was Magoo, That'sgoo Magoo's from Portsmouth. Melvin knew Missy and then this guy named E was working with Missy well, working with the group.
Speaker 1: Missy was in a group called Phase.
Speaker 2: They the first one that put out a record from Virginia, so they was like the top now.
Speaker 1: So then Missy and E connected.
Speaker 2: They say, Yo, you need to meet this guy named Timberland, and he connected.
Speaker 1: Us and came to my mom house when I stayed in Virginia Beach.
Speaker 2: Missy I had I had was doing just beats, like for the play to mix with, but Missy hurt the beats and like, now I'm about to sing over this. And that was the first time I got introduced to singing over hip hop beats was through Missy.
Speaker 1: I didn't know nothing about it. I'm like, you're about to do? What? What? And she put them harmonies life change.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my goodness, this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: And then it's like.
Speaker 2: She just kept like giving me the encouragement, like how dope you was, because then I just stopped.
Speaker 1: I kind of stopped DJing and I started focusing on beats.
Speaker 2: So I was like, because she introduced me to melodies, harmonies, you can write songs.
Speaker 1: You don't have to just rap on these beats. I'm gonna write songs.
Speaker 2: And I was sampling old patrise Russians and making them like dope break beats and she's like, oh, we're about to make this a song, and she started singing and writing. I was like it was the first it was. It was like what I was doing elevated to the next level, right, And she gave you confidence that you could do something more than DJ. She gave you confidence more than you can just produce beats because a lot of times someone of Missy, she's like, well, let me go get a more famous producer. She took the local kid from Virginia and says, Nah, we gonna do this together.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving and I'm taking you with me. That's exactly how it happened.
Speaker 2: Davonte, they met, They met Josy at a concert her they met him backstage. Davante said, y'all want to fly y'all out to Jersey and then Missy said, well, can we fly my producer.
Speaker 1: That I got back home? And that was me right? But you want a producers he said yeah, So she didn't go to the vantage. He said, I got my own. We got our own. So that's how it was. How much pressure is that? Because that's Missy? She said? And they say, well, we got this producer for you. She said, nah, but I got my producer back home. So now this is your opportunity.
Speaker 2: You know, in the eminem song, you get one shot to seize this moment. So now that's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 5: It was, but I won't scared of it because we had a sound, right, and Davonte liked them for my sound, right, And so by him being as great as he is, he knew he came in the game.
Speaker 2: With a sound with his group, right, So I thank god that he was like, yo, all right, he can come up, because I want to meet that guy who's doing that. And so it kind of worked because I learned from him, he learned from me. We both were young, but I was like a teenager when he was in his twenties. So he was doing his style and I was learning from him because he was taking He took harmonies and vocals and taught me and Missy how to really like really expand it. And then my beats was like different for him. So he was like, okay, I'm good at slow song timbo, good at up tempos and men. So it was a perfect marriage. You know what I'm saying. I hear you saying that this guy took you and says, okay, this is what I do, this is what you do, and we mixed together, and.
Speaker 1: It seems to me back then you saw a lot of that. Is that commonplace now in the game, that guys are willing to work and bring someone else along or is that a forgotten art?
Speaker 2: Is that a forgotten I think now we have more gatherings than we ever had, because because right now when I go in to the studio, now everything is on a computer. Okay, so what I have witness and this gentleman, is you good at it? He's good at it? She good at it. We put up one computer. Everybody's coming after each other and add to the same thing. And I was like, wow, wow, look how collaboration has ebon.
Speaker 1: Right, it's just everybody sitting. Everybody know how to work the computer. Everybody work on the same thing, right, So everybody explained, it explays displays they.
Speaker 2: Gift on the computer. And so now it's more it's a lot of more collaborative collaborating today than I think it was in our era. Now, Missy the album you're on us, and she's like, okay, I got my producer team Okay, you're you're in the studio, you're working on this, Like, are.
Speaker 1: You thinking like man, we about to blow? Or you're like, damn.
Speaker 2: Anxiousness, nervousness, what's going what's going through your head when you're in when you're in the studio with Missy and you guys are gonna come out with this album?
Speaker 1: Man, you know what's going through my heads? I got a job, Okay, I got a Okay, I'm popping now, you know, because all I wanted was three thousand dollars to help my mama and my parents.
Speaker 2: You know that's you know what I'm saying. That's all you want it. Yeah, that's how that's where we come from, you know what I'm saying. And I look back at it, it's like, wow, those were the good old days of life, you know what I'm saying, not wanting much and taking little and making it so much, you know what I'm saying. So I was just happy that we got what we wanted, which was a deal.
Speaker 1: It wasn't no pressure on the first album because it was all fun. It was all the rain. That was all they show the people what we got.
Speaker 2: Okay, that first album, there's no pressure, no pressure, it blows up.
Speaker 1: The second album, Now, let's talk about that. That's what Missy took me through. The Ringer miss it would make well, she always kind of did. But here's what she said, Oh, this is my sophomore album.
Speaker 2: So she's like, we gotta beat what we did. So she was always like a drill sergeant.
Speaker 1: She would make me go through one hundred beats before she picked one and she'd be like, Tim, that might be dope for jay Z or Ludicris, but I gotta dance to it.
Speaker 2: I gotta see the video. I gotta see how my girls gonna look. So she gave me this whole story. So I was like, it made me look at my beats different. I was like, so I started like, it's just how the girl's gonna dance tonight.
Speaker 1: It's this sound is she gonna she go? So she just you know, Missy took you know, she'll make you put you up here and she'll bring you down.
Speaker 2: But that's part of being great. You know everything that we go through, like when we get our professional job. Once you go on the door, you know everybody, Lebron. You gotta know how to play with Lebron. And once you get on the team, you better know how to play. So Missy like, now we're on this team, let me show you what miss is really about. The fun is over. Now this the Missy that now that I'm in the door.
Speaker 1: Like what miss if you don't you boy, tam, you know how we rock rock that way? Tim, So she said stuff like that. She a girl, And every time she told me, I'd be like my sister, right, why you just you take me high?
Speaker 2: Your brain me load, you take behind. But I enjoy that because it made me who I am today. And I don't think I would have all these jay Z records, all the hits that I have if I just settle. She made me not settle. We can be hotter too, We can be dope.
Speaker 1: I mean you, I mean you look at it. I mean, get your freak on it working.
Speaker 2: And her songs are so catchy and it's so you know you dance and and the thing was in the videos was so futuristic even.
Speaker 1: For way back then. I mean, she was way way ahead of her time as far as videos.
Speaker 2: And you're like, that's like, I mean, do you sit back and like.
Speaker 1: I do it all the time. I'd be like, I'd be like people are around me, like, you know that's dope. It's like you get that head nod. You know, you know what I'm saying. We do. Yeah. And when she cause.
Speaker 2: She bring it to life, right, she takes something that I present to her and she.
Speaker 1: Just said, watch how I make this blossom? Right, And she just make it blossom. And I'd be like, I'll just be smiling in the inside.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know how to show it on the outside, but inside I'll be saying all what you're saying. When when you first met Missy and you looking at this, she's very small in stature, but her presence is like commanding. She's a She demands that you look at her. She demands that you pay attention to her. Did you think this small, small of a woman could be? And what she became? And now as far as songwriting, she's in the Songwriting Hall of Fame. She's got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. That that's my girl. That's my Homide from BA Missy is like.
Speaker 1: Who is it? What's is it?
Speaker 2: Oprah from Color Purple? Yeah, that's who Missy is. Like Missy is She's just sink. She comes from a single mom Missy. She always had leadership in her. So when a person has leadership, it just.
Speaker 1: Don't matter how they lead you. And Missy was always a great leader. So I'm not surprised of how big she was because you couldn't just come nobody, I don't care who you are, you can't just say anything Missy.
Speaker 2: Missy she gonna challenge you. She gonna challenge you. And that was a va thanks you like you're like, oh, Missy was on top of the moon. You can go on the top of the moon. Missy Ellen ain't going on top.
Speaker 1: And people be like, you know, you know how this this world is entertained, Oh you should, No, that's not what master own beat. She really sticks to how he was raised in the South, and she don't.
Speaker 2: She don't bend the ruge. Other people could be going over there, Missy. Missy ain't going over there. She's very stern, very on point.
Speaker 1: She has sheer will and she's gonna do what she says she's gonna do. So she always had that leadership. And that's what I always my my about because when I broke character, she always stayed in character. So I'm like, man, she's amazing this this beats.
Speaker 2: These beats obviously at the height of reporter that you was getting five hundred thousand. Have you ever had to tell someone, bro, I can't let you get on this one. Unfortunately nobody from our generation I had to do that. But as I started working with the new generation, I don't say they was bad. I think my ears. I think I got old real you know what I'm saying. I said, oh, oh, this bit like price is kick it is because I'm like, because music evolves, but when it was evolving, I stopped evolving, right.
Speaker 1: So when a person got on it, I was like, the hell is you saying? Like you off the beat? Right?
Speaker 2: So I had to start adjusting because I got kided, like, no, dad, that's popping. I'm saying, hen you on the beat man, that's not popping.
Speaker 1: Right. Then I started saying, okay, music, don't let me down, because you you you you level it up. You leveled up.
Speaker 2: So I was a person who changed people's perspective of putting animals in music. So I got to accept the new rhythm of the youth. So I started to listening to it. I'm like, wow, that's what's hot now? Yeah, And it started, It started hitting me different, and I'm like, oh, I get it right. But when I first walked in the door, it threw me off. And that's what I had to say, Bro, you can't have this beat. Before I say that, I went to my my son and I'm like, before I go.
Speaker 1: Left, it's just dope, that's crazy. I'm like, Okay, I got to go back to school. I got I have, I have age. I have gotten too comfortable with what I've always been doing and not looking that it can evolve.
Speaker 2: There's another Timberland come around the door. There's another person coming around. When all these tags coming out, I was like, I wasn't prepared for all that. I wasn't prepared for all, you know, the new generation of digital. But I should have known it was coming because we had protubs and so I should have known that everything is going to be switched over to a laptop. I was one of those guys to say, oh, that ain't music when Ableton came out and people started playing on a pad, piano on a pad, and.
Speaker 1: Then I had to say, yo, that's not a piano.
Speaker 2: And it really kind of like that really like took me down, Like I had a load because I felt like I'm so on point, but I let I kind of like let life kind of get in the way, which kind of steer me to another road where I kind of.
Speaker 1: Let music evolve above me.
Speaker 2: So when that happened, when I got with the new generation, I had to really like take a deep dive and say, wait, manute, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: Did you ever get and it doesn't seem like this happened?
Speaker 2: Get high of your own supply, Like you have all these number one hints and they're coming out and coming and coming, and people come to you atim I need you, nah, but I don't need you. Did you tell anybody did you like? And look back at it, said, man, I shouldn't have done that. Yes, I've done That's all that. What I just told you based down to that to say, I don't know what they're doing. They can't take a timbo beat, they can't do this, and not understanding it that they grew up to my music right and just it's bigger than me. And I had to really just do a deep dive into self reflection and be like I changed the game.
Speaker 1: Who am I? Who are you? These kids look up to you?
Speaker 2: If their favorite song was Crimeme and Ribber and it's like I started to like just really like have talked to my really my children, you know, because they're younger. So I'm like, they said, you dope, you just got to like music. Can't what you what y'all used to do? Right, And when they started saying that, I'm like, oh man, we turned the corner. So then I started saying, oh, okay, this is dope.
Speaker 1: This is dope.
Speaker 2: And I started getting more active and more in it than now, like I'm all the way in it now.
Speaker 1: But it took.
Speaker 2: It took some time because I had to come down right. I was too high on my ego. It was like a coach, this is my system, this is what I run. But the players that you have in that system might not be good for that system. What you were used to you were great at that. Now these players now might not be great at that. So now let me evolve the system to fit today's players.
Speaker 1: Just like basketball, I don't know half of the players. So it evolved, it evolved. You know how many stars like that. We're creating new stars.
Speaker 2: So when you watch it, Basketball said, do you know what I went to the basketball game? I'm looking at it like, it's just like music. I don't know nobody, I don't know what they three point game. I ain't never seen this before. I ain't never seen this before. So that's what music is.
Speaker 1: It evolves.
Speaker 2: Our children get better than what we were. They take it to the next level. And I never understood that because I got too caught up in my own horses.
Speaker 1: So how did the world did you?
Speaker 2: Like, Man, I want to work with this artist, you reach out or they reach out to you, said a team. We heard you beat, we heard what you did with Missy, we heard what you did with Jay, we heard what you did with JT. Can you work with us or did you wait for them to come to you or did you go to them? Well, it's been a time where I when I was on that I thought people would come to me. Boy, I realized that there's a lot of people they're like, man, do we go to this?
Speaker 1: We go to that? Because they had a sound.
Speaker 2: So that kind of ended quick because a lot of young people that once I understood and my ear got more, got corrected back again.
Speaker 1: So I started reaching.
Speaker 2: Out to people that I you know, these new artists and saying, hey, I want to work with you. Because I admire what they was doing and it was like me surrendering to music, like I'm a student all over again. I know I'm a coach, but I want to be I want to be Steve Caller.
Speaker 1: I want to be that coach of field. I want to be go down in history like I got my squad, I got a team.
Speaker 2: I'm maybe not the guy. I understand my role and I tell a lot of people, understand who you are, in your in your strengths and weakness, and I know my strength is guiding people. Yeah, I could do dope beats. But as I started to understand what music was taking me. Now is in that Quincy Jones moment. And it's like when Quincy did Thriller, he had a twenty five year old he's fifty, but Quincy grabbed that person, got Rob Timpleton, he grabbed the drummer, he grabbed all these people and made an incredible album. And I said, that's what I have to do with the future of music. So now I reach out to people and tell and people that's not even big that I see the guy talent. Yeah, I noticed that because that's the future, that's the world that they gonna you know, everybody can.
Speaker 1: Be everybody can jump on somebody that's hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to get the guy that nobody knows, give him a beat, guide him and then make it and beat and make him or her become Yeah, because I want to be the guy. Like when I say something, not saying to take my word, just give it a pay attention to.
Speaker 1: Me, right, you know, it's like buying to your product. Like I say, it's hey, Shanny got the best train, So if you put out another one, I'm going to Shannon because Shannon, no, his case is amazing. Right.
Speaker 2: So it's like I want people to understand when I when I say music, pay attention and it's happening. Like I put I posted this French You guy y'all mad and he said yo. He called me and said now the label was trying to sign me, And I'm like, well, they ain't trying to sign you before that. You was dope before, just singing on a cappella. So what I kind of do is like the showcase, what's coming after, what's already popping today? And I just it gives me joy because it makes me feel like I'm nineteen again when I first got in music and when I first when MISSI came to me. But now I'm like, I created this legendary brand of Timerland being the legend. So I like reaching out to people to show that I'm paying attention to your art.
Speaker 1: You already know my art, but I'm scouting.
Speaker 2: You out like it's like me creating a team, like I want to build, Like, okay, these are my these are my starter back that's my dad. Yeah, I said, oh, we need to we need a front runner. We need to go take it to the to yad line. So I look at it like that. It's like plays now, like it's getting the best of the best and creating. And I was thinking about doing an album like that. I's trying to figure it out because I don't want to do the typical album of getting everybody. I want to take raw talent and show people that you know, because all music is about a song.
Speaker 1: It's not really about the so much of the artist. No more like we have one hundred songs uploaded every day on Spotify. So with that being said, I just want to have to curate the best songs of today with new people whove on your mount rushmore producers all the time, who Teddy Riley, okay, Quincy Jones, doctor Dre Pete Rock. I mean, is that that far? That's it. That's unless you're gonna do a new go back and he's on the four. That's it, old heads on my rushmore. Let me let me damn you want the octopus, try to spend the website shore to pick the fourth.
Speaker 2: P on right if Teddy Riley, doctor Dre, Quincy Jones, Pete Rock, I said Pete Rock because he was the guy who kind of had he was he was the first that kind of like took over the airways with all the remix with Docson facts.
Speaker 1: Then he had then that like he had the good Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then and then and then it's then it's hard because I wanted okay, if I had to.
Speaker 1: Dang, I can't just forget for me m and dealer. See, I'm stuck. We're gonna have to have three. The four one is up for toss up. Like I gotta go back.
Speaker 2: And I think the thing is when you go when you say doctor dre and Quincy Jones, those two got to be there. It got to be there. They got to be there. Now we can we can debate the other two, but you can't have a producer Matt Rushmore without Dre and without Quinns, you cannot. You cannot, Okay, JT. How did the relationship with you and j T? Justin Timberlake come Alut? Justin always he liked my he liked what me and Missy did. And I met him when he was fifteen at a studio and he was like, hey, man, I want to work with.
Speaker 1: You and blah blah blah. Was he still in the group or what ye he was still in the group.
Speaker 2: And this was when before Along came out with Alone was about that Michael Jacksman No Gone Gone it was coming out and this is like right around that time. So he was still in the group, but he was about to do a solo album and so he was already.
Speaker 1: Working for real.
Speaker 2: And then he came and said he remembered like, Yo, Johnny Wright got with me and said, Yo, just want to work with you. So when we got together, we had chemistry because he from Memphis, I'm from Virginia. It's like we kind of grew up on the same thing and when you kind of like had the same background and talk about the same things.
Speaker 1: And he was alway working for phar Real. I already knew he.
Speaker 2: Was gonna click with me, and it was just it was just like a matter of time if he you know, because back then you're fifteen. I don't know if you we say one thing, but he really follow up on it, like my sound really stuck with him and he had to work with me. I'm the crimea river suit and tie sexy back, thirty million albums sol.
Speaker 1: I mean, did you know he could do this? Oh? Hell yeah. When I first met her, I said, oh, this boy, this white boy cold. Yeah, he's like a better George Bike he was. I was like, yo, he got it.
Speaker 2: And then when he started dancing out right, I said it's over because at that time we haven't seen that, nobody that exactly.
Speaker 1: So we came in an era where I mean, he can really dance that what Evers was doing and shake it and him. But oh that's one thing. But what he was doing was different with what we were doing exactly, and I was like, oh he Then at West starts singing out like, oh he is out of here. When the solo, I said, oh, this is Michael Jackson. You know what I'm saying. The Justified album that was a masterpiece and he when I.
Speaker 2: Did Crime in River, that was like one of the last songs we did. But like the did you know that was gonna be a hit?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 2: Do you know, like, okay, you got to beat and someone is singing over it. Do you know at that moment this ish is special? Or do you like, I mean, I think it's gonna be good. Or have you had a situation where you didn't think, like I think it's gonna be okay and then it blows up, or you have one that you think is gonna blow up and it don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of dude, it's a lot of those, a lot of those because I like all the B side records, you know what I'm saying, But for the ones I knew it was gonna be a hit, Like did I didn't think that was a hit and I ain't think it was gonna be a hit.
Speaker 2: Was one minute, man, I ain't like that song. I was like, I don't like this song. You're gonna put this out till you crazy. It's all my girl, the girls going crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, I bet that with girl what going crazy? Hell no, we didn't like it. You know what I'm saying. I was like, make light up, like I said, man, you gotta put our something, put our visits on the street. God that that wasn't mean. He said. One minute. I was like like, and I did that sound b b b B. I said, you like this, it's like nursery rhyme. She said, watch and then what she said, boy, I'm gonna make it love. I was like, it's dope, but you know it still ain't. It ain't. Did Ludacris Ludicris cor and say you don't write this? Boy? You crazy? I'm about to get on. I'm like, well, I'm gonna stay ten toes down. It's all right, you know what I'm saying. It's cool. But then when it blew up, I said that girl, missus, she knows. And from that point on you never questioned it. It was like, yes, my queen, whatever you like what I'm looking now.
Speaker 2: You see Justin he sold his entire music catalog, and we see a lot of artists starting to unload their music catalog. Justin bieber So's Here sold his for two hundred million, ten to Turn and sold us for three hundred million. Bruce Bringstein sold Here's for five hundred million. Why do you think guys are artists are starting to unload their music catalog? I mean it's a business, you know what I'm saying, Like, what's wrong with if somebody We don't know if that three hundred million be there tomorrow, right.
Speaker 1: So what are we holding on to? What are we doing here?
Speaker 2: We work as hard for these moments one of people giving out those type of multiple on a check, you know.
Speaker 1: So I feel like it's it's it's all personal preference.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of people and they say three hundred millions, that's like that's a whole that set up for your family.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You go buy businesses, you get with certain people and then you look at the time they doing. Bruce Springsteen, he should have been so but guess what he probably got his business plan and what he want to do with his money, what he want to do.
Speaker 1: Just add on and make sure you got kids. You know. I think it's I think it's I think it's smart business. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We do we build up this catalog.
Speaker 1: Two for to sell.
Speaker 2: But you know I've seen ti I say, is like, you know, different ways of doing it and.
Speaker 1: He is like you or just go ahead and unloaded out right.
Speaker 2: So it all, it all goes down to what's your what's your business plan? So TI, I just gave somebody an individual of another business plan which is not a bad business plan, and you just have to go do it. And some people it works because it's like it's all about you know, we all black, and financial literature is like not good in our community. So to take a lot of money up front, it's like, what t I say is have buen this plane. Don't just take all that money just to say I got I sold my count. At least have a plane of what you're gonna do put that money, because it's a goal. Just like that because when you pay tax and you look at it very different.
Speaker 1: So whatever it was, it happen, and didn't you be you hear me. I just got a witness of that.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait a minute, you took what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to go sit down. I was like, Yo, that's highway robbers, that's that's extortion to get up. I was like, wait a minute, man. So that's why we got to work hard. So it's like you work hard to to not work hard.
Speaker 2: So if you have an opportunity to code financial life livelihood for the rest of thirty years of the rest of your life, why not take that out, you know what I'm saying, because that bank might close. Look at what happened with SUV Silicon Valley, right, just think about you don't know what can happen in.
Speaker 1: This correct market versus How did verses come to be? Man, we was home and during the pandemic, we were.
Speaker 2: Just we we know, we know what tomorrow hole. We thought it was fun. We reconnected with people that we should have been reconnected with. But we live in the world that would move so fast. And I've been saying this. I told my friends that we at the world shut down. Yeah right, but it actually happened. So that means whatever something somebody say, do.
Speaker 1: Not say that would never happen.
Speaker 2: You better pay attention when they talk about UFO, pay attention. So when the pandemic, it was just me and Switzerland. We just had a conversation about just life. We was and I was happy to talk to my friend like I didn't know. We was like best of friends until we start sharing like our personal story. Instead happened with us what happened to us, what happened with us in life, our personal story.
Speaker 1: And then I just called him one day. I started antagonizing. I'm like, all right, what you're gonna do with this beat?
Speaker 2: And I just started like doing beat battles because we did it one time before and TMZ picked it up when I played the Game of Thrones and he was We talked about, you know, going at each other, and we did it on Instagram. And then he had we had the idea when we did summer jams, like do this album where I do Timbo side, he do Swiss side, like a versus versus Timbo. And then we tried the whole thing out really in Hot ninety seven and the summer jam and.
Speaker 1: It really worked. But you know, everybody was outside, you know when the people outside the world go, they were just doing the most. So I knew technology.
Speaker 2: I said, once it shut down, I kind of had a you know, God put on my heart like technology was gonna be the new wave. It's gonna come in like a storm because we shut down, that's the only way to communication. So I called Swiss. I said, man, remember that idea. We had three and a half years. You know, the idea we did the vert that would battle on each other. Let's let's let's do that here, let's do that on Instagram, Let's do it now.
Speaker 1: And it was I tell you it was.
Speaker 2: God, you know, moving the universe in the right direction to where it was no problem. And I think what sparked that up with D Nice. D Nice was djam and everybody was on it.
Speaker 1: We was all jamming at D Nice and I was like, man, what can we do, you know, saying to myself and I called switch. I'm like, remember you know the idea that we had that we did it some some of jail.
Speaker 2: Let's do it right here on the ground. He's like when I said right now, he said right now? I said, yeah, why not? All right, let's give me an album, get my get my set up. And I said, all right, i'm'a get my setup. And we when we sparked it off, it was all because of the love. So when we did it, we only had thirty thousand people for people ate it, but it spread it and then once it spread it, we all came together as a as a team and like we got something here right, And we just took control of a situation because I knew to really build, like the platform we want to build really takes about two years. And the idea when you want to get your idea out, you don't got two years, Like you need to show the world. Yeah, and so we just you know, as we just jumped out and did our thing, and God bless it to where it caught on like wildfire. And I thank him because he allowed us to know how to follow the lead, because some people get that that spark plug and then go away from him. But I gotta think Swisch, Swiss is a smart businessman. Like soon as we saw it and how people was embracing it.
Speaker 1: He's like, Okay, we gotta call it. We gotta have a meet. What are we doing? This is what we're doing. I said, right, we're doing this this. We gotta get the trademark. We gotta do this.
Speaker 2: And then people was like, oh, he ain't gonna last more past the pandemic.
Speaker 1: But me and Swiss knew that this was the new soul train. This was a new phenomenon, right, this was something that's gonna go beyond the pandemic. And we just had to believe because we had haters saying, oh, blah blah, blah blah blah. Once he heard what we were doing, and then we knew as the culture what I love about the culture, Like they kind of like like a bunch of missies, like they be like that, ain't it that? Ain't it? And then you gotta work past that? Ain't it to be? Like then they be on the line, I.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I thank you for doing this. You don't know how much idea but you was on last week he was.
Speaker 1: Like, why y'all giving me this verse? Why are you? Like?
Speaker 2: All right, mama auntie, we got you. You know, I know you won't corn breadge. I'm gonna go get your but bear with me. So that's how vers it was. And it's like we really stood tall on that and got past that. And I could tell you another thing. It made us feel good to my soul, right, you know what I'm saying. And to see it get to this point to where we're elevating. Now we're getting too the real business of it and negotiating certain things.
Speaker 1: And I just thank God that he allowed a.
Speaker 2: Tool was already in place for us to invent our tube that we had, So what can we expect from versus? And we see the artists when they did this, the album sells a lot of these artists hadn't put out music in a very long time, and we see theirselves go through the roof everybody go and forget just how great the artists were and go back out and purchase some of their music and start that all over again. So what can we expect from Versus moving forward? Man, we can expect the same the versus effect, and we tell people how real that is, Like we're showing a new business versus really a new business show.
Speaker 1: Like catalogs like you said, that never been heard. It's got kids going back listening to it. Right, Versus is a tool of the future of not just like rebirth of cauntalog that people might have because we sell them the catalog, But how do you get those catalogs to be heard again? Right?
Speaker 2: Versus is that platform. So what we got going forward is we're trying to do bigger Versus. We got we got we got a couple lined up. But you know, like now that everybody outside is scheduling, right, so we're working on this capsule. But we got some we got some big ones. Okay, I got some battles. I wanted you to know, tell me Chris Brown Usha battle Chris Brown versus Usher.
Speaker 1: That's one of our top ten is too. You know it can happen. We don't.
Speaker 2: We we know it can happen. It's a matter of time because it's good for the culture. And that's a good one, Doctor Dre Quincy Jones, I see that one.
Speaker 1: That will kind of be amazing.
Speaker 2: Well that's the only one. I mean, can't nobody else battle Drake. Can't nobody else battle Doctor Dre. But Quincy can't know one battle Quincy?
Speaker 1: But Drake. That's it? You think? So who else you gonna throw it? Quincy? Sixty years Quincy was Ain't nobody can battle Quincy, That's what I'm But I'm saying, if you're gonna throw anything at him, it's got to be Dre. From Sinatra to Ray Charles to Michael Jacks. Lastly, come on, man, that's like you you just said Sonata. How do somebody come out to Sonata? I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: That I can see that. But are we missing like what about like gambling huff? Me personally, I ain't battling Quincy Jones. That's why I say gambling huff because you wouldn't you went like segments of people from Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 1: The only one that guy like that type of.
Speaker 2: Is gambling huff like people who don't like from the style listic's the only way down like it. But I do like the Dre comparison. But I'm like, when you just said all what he done, I'm like, wait, man, wait.
Speaker 1: But Dre, I mean, you know, from Dre from Snoop the Park in all those that he I mean, so it'll be interesting. I want I just want to hear the song.
Speaker 2: I like the playlist of the of the of the two. Yes, I think, but you want to get twenty? Now you only get twenty. I ain't somebody don't camera come, you know, nobody got nobody got to listen to all these music.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: Now that's the thing. Like Qutch ain't gonna just go for twenty. He said, Man, I gotta go up. Quit's gonna hit us with a series. Yeah, he's gonna be like the first series did you joint? You know what I'm saying, Like, he gonna hit you with a series, Like you can't just get him. You can't get twenty, Okay, Drake and hold that would be a good one would I rather to see hole and nas really yes, So if you gotta put some money else So if you if you hey, hey, your money, you gotta put a meal down.
Speaker 1: Holding nods. I gotta put a meal down either either one. Yeah, the winner, I'm gonna have to say, you get five Hondred, you get both of y'all are winners. Like that's that's hoving nods O Prince and Michael whooa. So you know it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: It's more difficult than you think because Prince was a writer and.
Speaker 1: People forget that. And now I'm about to go on your side. I'm on your side with that one. I'm like, you probably get mad they see this, but don't you that, Prince. It's said written, composed and produce and composed and produces the same thing. So when is composed some extra stuff? You know what I'm saying. So you know what I'm saying. So like, that's serious, bro.
Speaker 2: So I was thinking like the whole creation of like doing that, like because I want to see that. I want to I want like people to pick the best from his family twenty and the Jackson family.
Speaker 1: Picked Day twenty. That will be amazing because you know this technology. Ye, we put the hologram up. Yeah, we're gonna love it. Yes, we're gonna go create the new technolo. We're gonna go cras since we got the hologram, we got the technology. Yeah, Tupact, Biggie. You know, that's what the world weighing. That's what we're all waiting for. Yeah, I'm waiting for it. I wait for it like logs and people. To me, it's like, let me be let us, let me. It's sposed to be creative, don't judge it. People are like, we don't play with that, don't play with the dead, don't do that.
Speaker 2: I get it. But it's like it's music, right. I want to hear the music. I want to know what. I want to relive these memories again.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I really think the TUPAC and Biggie it's necessary, right, And don't I know people are probably gonna be upset. I just think of live too. Yes, I just don't know. You know what I'm saying. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know who you're gonna put her against. That's what I don't know. But she needs to be in this conversation Whitney and Mariah that needs to be done.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Look at that playlist Mariah and Whitney. Do you know do you know how they gonna go out the roof? That's a that's that's that's actually a fut I'll run to see that one first for you.
Speaker 1: Not the biggest tube part, but that one, right, because that sets a tone. It's it gets the world ready, right, it sets a sentimental tone, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Mariah, we gonna cry, We're gonna be emotional, and Mariah gonna bring it because she gonna talk, her talk, and them songs back to back right, and just us seeing it. You know, they try these these documentary what I Wanna dance.
Speaker 1: But that's really the I wanna dance with somebody if we did a versus I wanna dance what everybody want to do? This documentary, Whitney, It's really the verses, like what you just said, Whitney and Mariah Carey, who can we put a dail against? I would love to see Adl go really against Alicia again.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know Alicia did John that that was great, she did that one, But I really I would wanna see Alsha again with Adell.
Speaker 1: Mmm I don't know if anybody ever thought about this one? What about b and reread? You know, like, who can we put against be?
Speaker 2: Is there anybody that we can put against Breatha Franklin.
Speaker 1: It can't. It can't mean nobody from her era. No, no, it can't. She she she she has to a stand alone. It has to be a Reatha Franklin. There has to be somebody of some something that's somebody that's here if the legend is here or a legend, it's not She's a stand alone.
Speaker 2: Who can we put against Marvin Gaye, the Pendergrass or Luther Barry White. I'm trying to think, Sam Cook, I mean, who who would you like to see battle?
Speaker 1: Marvin? The name of you just said?
Speaker 2: You said you said it like four, I said, I started out with Marvin Teddy Teddy p.
Speaker 1: I think Teddy Well, I said, what turn it off? The likes I'm doing, I'm doing like a Collidge in my head. Oh that's a good that's a good playlist.
Speaker 2: Not only that, versus Versus is a curated thing. So it's like your curation is act is it's.
Speaker 1: Accurate because I'm looking at playlisting because like you said, were raising catalog. And that's what Switch is great at. It's curating these playlists and the whole like the versus genre of someone because when people go back and listen to the playlist and when you put I ain't know they had that song, I don't know you do that, it's act And now you got more musics to in your car, right you know, Now you're like, oh, the versus is Marvin and Teddy. So now you go on your Apple Music You're like, wow, but Teddy. I mean people don't remember this, but Teddy used to have female only concert. Turn that female only. That's why I say, hmmm, that's a mean one.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Aaliyah seeing she's movies. How big would she have been had she not tragically lost her life but she headed to I mean because we see Beyonce Beyonce saying the movies. Was she going to be Beyonce before Beyonce? I think it would have probably been this how well, I think it would have been.
Speaker 1: Four girls? What five Missy Beyonce?
Speaker 2: I said, you know, like five light top notch girls, Missy Beyonce, Aaliyah, Rihanna, it's another girl too, NICKI. I think she would have been in those top five. I don't know if she would have beat or been we don't know that, but she would have been top five.
Speaker 1: Top three, maybe another guy that produced a songwright. I believe.
Speaker 2: You can separate art from an artist. You can say what he produced and what he did was unbelievable in the art form and be disgusted by what he did as a person. And that's all Kelly.
Speaker 1: And sometimes because the depravity and.
Speaker 2: What he did, you like, when you throw everything that he's done you artistically away. I don't believe you can do that. No, I believe you can separate the two. Yes you can, I have I agree. I agree talk about Kelly the art artists.
Speaker 1: There's nothing to try to downplay or whatever he did outside of the music round because we know R. Kelly is the king of R and B. We all know that man. And it's funny.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you talk about that because I'll be having talked to everybody jump. When he said okay, I'm like, so we're just gonna ignore his music that he gave with it, we all jammed to no, we can't do that, right.
Speaker 1: His art is his art.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna bastard, but he ain't the only one that got some things, and it's had some things, got some things in the closet, but we still listen to.
Speaker 1: The music exactly.
Speaker 2: And to me, we have to learn how to I think as a culture we have to learn how to separate that. And if I said, okay, who can bottle r Kelly, I don't want to see in the comments how you gonna have this hype. Don't mix music up with personal. Music is a feeling that stands alone. Music is something that don't have no race, that brings people together. They don't have no drama with it. It's a place of enjoyment, of feeling. So don't bring drama into music. Leave that outside his art, his his art. I say the same thing about a lot of people. You know that they're a great artists, but we look at what they do on a personal level and try to disqualify the art.
Speaker 1: You can't do that.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at some of the guys, some of the people that you work with, from Rihanna to Beyonce, Ludicrous k New, Maria Brandy, Lisia Keys, Ross, Pete Poblo Pastor, Detroit brother Sparks.
Speaker 1: How do you how do you go about with these. I mean, you look at these guys.
Speaker 2: This is a who's who, and then you go Michael Jackson, Nellifertado, Minis Cyrus, Elton John, Shakiro, Katie Perry, Brad Paisley, One Republic, Nickelback, Biscuit, Lindsay Lohan, Coldplay, from you all over the math.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't know. I didn't never you said all them, but I just now noticed it.
Speaker 2: I just look at it like my job his music, and it doesn't matter the genre of music and be country, it can be you know, R and B, can be pop.
Speaker 1: I could do whatever because I know I'm gonna bring my swag to it. So to me, it's like another day at the office. Let's go do it like it's a challenge. It was a challenge, and like because I'm like, what do y'all want from me? We want you, okay, well you want a little bit of what you used to whip me on top? Just do you you really want that? That's what I say, all right, and they allow it and we made history. Who you been most surprised by that gave you a call and said we want you Elton John, because I'm like Elton me. But I had an idea when I got in the studio. I'm like, I don't want you to say, I just want you to play, and I'm gonna put a choir around your playing. Okay. So he was like, so what are you going to play? Whatever? Go So you tell Elton John to just play, You're gonna put something around him? Is that normally what you do? Or do they ask for the like okay, this this is what I have. Okay, how do you enhance it? Well?
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I came Elton John was following my lead because he's like the he's the He's the goat, and I'm young timbo. I had this vision, so it was like he was following my lead. You know what I'm saying, because it wasn't what I guess he was used to working with. But I knew who Elton John and his talent, and I knew I was My favorite song was Been in the Jet. Yeah, like and I knew at all and I was like love all his music.
Speaker 1: So it's like I just wanted to play. I don't want to sing because I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how much Flipp was singing, which I could have, but I just want him to I want to showcase his art or what he gifted was, and it's playing.
Speaker 1: So I said this, I had this beat. I said, just play to this, let's play and I'm gonna put the choir to it. And he just let me do what I do. And he came back and I played it for him. He was shocked.
Speaker 2: He was like, wow, you work with artists, that's what you normally do, but how different is it collabing with a producer.
Speaker 1: Scott's story.
Speaker 2: You pro collab with you know, collabing with an artist a Beyonce or you know somebody that sings and you producing the beats.
Speaker 1: But now you got another producer and they do what you do.
Speaker 2: That was the fun because now you meeting like minded people. And Scott was always dope, you know, Scott was dope. And when I did carmelon River, I was just me beatboxing, you know, all that stuff, and I say, I need Scott to play them chords over top of that, and I called Scott. He was right there and he did it and he started adding his sauce. I knew Scott was always he was incredible, right, you know what I'm saying. Scott had a a gift I guess Scott is like, you know, I look at Quincy, you know, as he developed his team at that younger age.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing. And Scott was the guy with all the soul f you know, the roots knew who he was. That's why they That's why he came up with the roots and all that. And Scott was like a perfect person to collab with because it's like Lebron and a d you know, you put a great team together. Like I could pass the ball to him. I know he gonna get twenty. You know what I'm saying that Scott. I mean, Scott was the guy. His soul was just like my soul. We was like musical soul brothers. Right. Working with Hove, you guys go back and you see, yeah, definite, give him flowers.
Speaker 2: What the money he's making. You know, I want to have hob over here. I want to give him his flowers. But yeah, get him and got that guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely. For sure.
Speaker 2: You go in the studio and you work with Hop obviously early in his career. But do you know, no, Hove, it's gonna turn out to like go from what he was.
Speaker 1: He talked about cooking on the stove, standing on the corner, to rapper, the entrepreneur, to a multi billionaire. You know, I'm glad we talked about this guy. Never really like Jay Z is a prophet. I don't know if y'all read the Bible, of any scholars of the Bible.
Speaker 2: God sent him like I never seen. I never seen nothing nobody like ho Hove actually raised me. He don't even know it. He raised me in the music business. He was so prolific, so wise beyond his age that I was just amazed at just watching him. That's why, like I had a different bond with Jay when it comes to my music.
Speaker 1: It was like we was rewriting the Bible in a way, or rewriting history as it's gonna be. How jay Z foresaw the world going forward.
Speaker 2: Shannon, I ain't seen nothing like it. When I say, this guy speak multiple languages. We did Picasso. That wasn't the first version.
Speaker 1: The first version was like all the Hebrew language and all like the Jews. He was just breaking it down, and that's when I realized, like, this got not human. He's different. I learned about chess from him. I learned a lot of things just being around him. So for me, it was like going to Black Harvard University watching Moses and I'm I'm his I'm I'm following him as he leaders through the desert right because Jay I knew he was destined for greatness. I knew it. I'm watching the next biggest thing. Since I don't wanna say Elvis, I don't wanna say I wanna say now, I wanna say THEMN.
Speaker 2: I wanna say e T Wow. Because when ET came out, it shook the world just and that was a movie. I'm saying to you, Hoa's movie. Well he did that that that DJ CALLI song. People should really take that, yes, and really chew it and really used that for a guidelines of your life. Jay Z gave you raps that can help your business. That's how powerful that man slays me on Anywhere on God's Green Earth out trip of my network.
Speaker 1: So when you I age now, you gotta look back. That man was twenty two. He does give you a blueprint of what you can become exactly from what he was to what he is. And he he told he taught me so much, bro, And I'm glad I was a student to get to see it. You've had some struggles in your life. You had an addiction.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, and you said you weren't tim And not only did it effect you, affected impacted others around you. Yes, How did this addiction come about? Not really being sure who I am? You know a lot of people. I can say this now when we talk about haters, it's really the enemy and the enemy. I was fighting the enemy within me. I was married at the time and doing things, you know, not really knowing who I am, chasing things that's false and just life just got a little bit aggressive. It got the best of me. And so to deal with all the pressures of life. It started with a dentist taking Viking. Then the Viking. It made me feel like superman. It made me get over everything.
Speaker 1: And then all of a sudden, I just c I w I find myself just taking it all the time, had a doctor that was giving it to me, and all the times. My mama, my mom was a great prayer warrior. She was in the church, and she told me she had a dream of me being like, uh, my face was turning blue or something like that. And then I was on it like for like I was taking like one hundred and sixty milligrams a day of oxy cotton. Wow.
Speaker 2: And everybody that I know who've done that has died, you know what I'm saying. So I think I even died. You know, at one point in time where I got out, I had a out of body experience where I was laying in the bed and I saw myself laying in the bed. And from that point on, you know, God has changed my mind. And I didn't go to a doctor.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I did a cold turkey here. I just started weaning myself off. And you can put pills in front of my face. I could just look at it and be like, cause.
Speaker 1: It ain't gonna sit here and hold you. I be like it, Well it it feels great, it's amazing, but it's not amazing, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I try to be an advocate and talk about that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. And I put my mind to it. With the help of God in praying, he weaned me off. I didn't have to go be on another drug to get off of drug.
Speaker 1: Did did the pil addition impact your marriage? Did that have a roller?
Speaker 2: I think if it impact my whole life. God took me to the to the bottom where that when I got divorce. You know, the voice is like that dang. Like a business, you destroys you. You lose everything, You lose everything. So for me, you know, it just not it just it was a self reflection for me. So I didn't mind going back to the crushing place, you know, because God needed to wake me up. You know what I'm saying, like i'ma I'm gonna redeem you, but I gotta humble you too. I gotta break you down and make me realize because a lot of things in life I was taking for granted. You know, when we're young, we get money. It's just a lot of things I was taking for granted. And I just start appreciating little things like be able to scratch, you know, be able to still run, like my organs still work, that I still.
Speaker 1: Can, got my right mind. You know, it was just me. The drugs had me because I was an introvert, and I felt like that being an introvert ain't gonna get you. I ain't gonna get you paid because you just you can't be quiet. You gotta go out and men. So the drugs helped me to do that. But people start to notice, like, tell me, all right, did did did your work slip because of the pilling? Oh? Did it?
Speaker 2: God took my hair in a way he took me. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear, right. I remember I was in the studio with Tanache and I was playing this beat, and now I think.
Speaker 1: What I thought about it.
Speaker 2: I was like, that was the waggist beat ever but in my head. But I was still going through recovery stage, so I shouldn't have really gotten into that room.
Speaker 1: But because I ain't know quit it, I'm gonna. I'm gonna do it. But I know through me still getting off of the drug, I still.
Speaker 2: Had some relapse that still wasn't correct, and it wasn't I couldn't hear properly, so I I was just I was trying to get back at something that God gave me.
Speaker 1: So I neglect the gift. I neglect music. I thought I was bigger than music, and that's not how it works. You know, you got to give God all the glory for what you have, your gift, and don't get above the gift. And I got above the gift, and the drugs have me like I'm Timbo. Everybody canna come to me. And then when I realized ain't nobody coming to me? You know what I'm saying, and my energy is wearing off on the world and I didn't even know it. In social media stuff I was saying with this all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, reporters that yet told you said, man, don't do no interviews. Yep, that's what I'm trying to say. He's a prophet, you know. Even Drake told me. Drake, that's why I said, That's why I look at people like those guys. Those guys are like special to the world, Like you know, Drake, I think I did something talk crazy on one Revolt and Dre's.
Speaker 1: Like, yo, man, you don't want to do that and have to go back and apologize later, like you want to check it.
Speaker 2: Like I commend people like that for correcting me and on my behavior. Chris Brown corrected me on my behavior. So I commend people because that's what we need, even though it might cut to the night. Still, I don't look at it as what's up what you're trying to say.
Speaker 1: I don't look at it as a.
Speaker 2: Bee that used to be, that used to be how we community raised kids, we're growing up. If the elderly people of somebody older than you saw you do it wrong, they say, Tim.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Still, no curse, You too young to curse? Are you too young to still? You too young to smoke?
Speaker 2: But somehow we lost that now that if we see other blacks and we try to correct them, let that man live you being an other time, you speaking man, speaking negative. But they thought enough of you, they say, man, Tim to.
Speaker 1: Say you man. That's why I say it's love. That's why I love it like I because nobody got to say nothing to watch you fall right, you know what I'm saying. Now, Once they give you the information, it's up to YouTube to do to do what you do. Now.
Speaker 2: I didn't do it as much because the drugs had a little bit more told. Once I started breaking myself off, winning myself off divorce, then all this stuff started coming out in my divorce, like who was doing this byd you know, not saying behind my back, but stuff I wasn't paying attention to right because I fought me because I could have if it be something different, if.
Speaker 1: I was paying attention right. So I can't say, oh, nobody did me wrong because the drugs had my mind and thinking that I'm gonna always be this, i'm'na always do that, which is kind of like you kind of need that mentality because that mentality kept me going. I didn't like how the mentality came on from a drug abuse. If it was just me being natural, being like, all right, that's what it is, because it allow me to get out of the situation.
Speaker 2: It's that makes us great, that also makes us most vallible exactly. He rose in the villain and one a what is a Timbo studio session?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, is there you know? Is there ambionce going on? You got? I mean? What was it? We coming in? We gotta okay, we got a student time you normally you're said what time? Which okay? Which area you're talking about? Okay, I guess the young the young, the young dudes, they cover that thing at like midnight, two o'clock two as that's how I used to start, Okay. I didn't go still till like one o'clock. So what dare you doing? What mean? What you ain't got job to fleet? Like a fan part. I'm gonna tell you I was, I was gone and I was gone. I keep the shades down.
Speaker 2: I was in the dark, bro, I was in get out for real, like for real, like for real, like I tell people now, people tell me on lean and stuff. I be like, I know the feeling, I know the goodness of it, but I know the bad outweighs the good. I slept with the shades down, like who sleeps in darkness? I never wanted the shaves up. I constantly just oh, the sunlights hurt my eyes. That's darkness, man. Like I ain't start, I ain't come out to the dark. And I felt like, you know, I look back at it like now and for real, always.
Speaker 1: Had to like nine to five, I'm out of there. I like nine to five. I get started TI twelve o'clock, you know what I'm saying. So it was like, but now I look at it like I get better because you know, I train, I work out, I take care of your body. I do all of that.
Speaker 2: So I started around about like twelve, and I try to stop it like nine because my brain, Look, I ain't got no more juice of it, me, bro, I ain't. We're gonna we got two hits today, right okay? Because after that, I know it's gonna be bull crap. I ain't gonna fool myself. I'm going home and watch some TV, watch your show.
Speaker 1: One. Then I go back and go back into a beat. So coming to a Timulus session today, it's like I go in there with my team, a young producer and I going there and be and be coach coach simbo and going there dictate no this, move this, let's change this, let's do this, and we going there. We make about three or four four hot ones and like, let's go, let's go live life, Let's go look at some TV. Le's read a book, Let's go look at something. Because you can't just sit in there. It's constant do music. This repetition. It's repetitious. And after a while, you like you kind of like overloaded. You have to like take a break. And I've learned that through time, like taking a break helps you recover.
Speaker 2: That I watch you, follow you on social media, and I see that you work out, You spend a lot of time, and I want to commend you on that because I like to see when brothers take care of themselves and that their health is a big party. And mean wealth doesn't mean anything if you're not healthy. Yep, And so to see you do that and see the transformation that you put your body through. And you did it all through hard work.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You inspired me. Look how you look? Ill? I tell my coach Phil sitting over there. I tell them all. I said, man, look how Shannon look. Man, I hope you don't ever take off his shirt? See to me? Said he said, he got hip replaced. I said him, don't look bad. Come on here, like, yo, it's you the rock.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, being fifty is like being twenty all over. And my dad just had two strokes and you know, and God bless him. He still you know, didn't lose too much. Don't have you know, it's got a little speech. Got hit by eighteen wheel of randover back and forth.
Speaker 1: That's all. The thing he did was poo poo on the self. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I look at the bloodline of a family, my dead. So I'm like, yo, I've been on heavy narcotics.
Speaker 1: My kids. I want to be I don't and I just I don't want to be lazy. I don't. I know that I'm better than this. And I always had vision. I look in the mirror. Some people can look at you know they weight and everything. I was just one who always saw when I look at say huge your own beddest the rock, I'm like, see that's I got that bone structure.
Speaker 2: I pulled a fit like where they go line each other up. I want to stand at least I'm at the end of the line. I said that as we look at athlete, and I just started like, yo, I could be like that. But then I always like food used to be a part of it, till I have to just say, you know what, I'm like, John wigg that ship, will you know what?
Speaker 1: I could do this?
Speaker 2: And so I just started as like I look at you and I just watch you in the gym. I look at all y'all and I'm like, no, this fifties and new thirties, Like you know what I'm saying, look at these look at these guys like that's how you're supposed to look. You're supposed to be healthy, keeping going like you're not supposed to get old.
Speaker 1: And then it's just just like you only get one car. Your body is your car, your one life, you know what I'm saying, one life. I mean I got both replaced.
Speaker 2: You can get knee replacement, you know hard lung kidney can replace life.
Speaker 1: Nah, look I'm looking like it. Look at it. It's like he's twenty years old. Bro.
Speaker 2: Like I just tell him, I said, man, TV, don't do him justice. The camera's gotta stop. They gotta stop that, bro. The camera's adding No, y'all lenses is off. Because I look at the brothers like you still play you like y'all t o.
Speaker 1: All these people I beat. I'm amazing athletes Like I took a new liking to all athletes because the abuse that y'all take. The critic people who don't even work out tell you that you you know you talk he made, But have you got on the field, have you lift the weight? Until you start looking at what y'all do and what y'all put your body through. It's a respect that I love. I worked out with Chris Paul and he was like, man, just you being not an athlete, this is what I do for a job, but you come out here and put it in with me. I respect you.
Speaker 2: I would buy anything you selling like you know because you put in the work. And I ain't really understood that until I saw them. I'm like, man, we look at we talk about the big pays that's cool, but what they go through it's what I mean. Everybody sees the pay there, but they don't know the process too.
Speaker 1: It's just like you.
Speaker 2: I mean, they see the beat, but they don't understand what you went through growing up to perfect the craft that finally the culmination is okay. Crime a river suit and tie beats and all that other thing. They don't see that. All they see is the payoff.
Speaker 1: That's all this.
Speaker 2: But see, I have a whole up respect and I felt like I came with a program when we call push and peaks that I feel like people of our age, our generation talking to the men's it's from forty on up, thirty on up. Look, it's not about it's about mental clarity working out. It's cool for the body, but it really makes me clear. It gives me a high that I never I can't explain, and it makes me look at life a little different. It takes away anxiety for me. It's just it's just a whole lifestyle, Like it's my whole life, Like I can't I don't like to travel if I like my meals is messed up.
Speaker 1: Like I'm very serious with her, Like I'm so serious with it like I'm like, wait minute, what we gotta do for two days? Oh man, let me figure out my schedule. I need it, I need my supplements. I need this and it and I feel good and I have great doctors around me, just just like teaching me about the body.
Speaker 2: Like they said, Yo, Tim, I get your glue coast monitors. I said, you know about I ain't got no disease, like I'm a hard but no, we want to turn into a fat burning machine, not a sugar burning machine. So I start getting the glue coast monitor, putting on my arm and going like this. I'm really all into it because I feel like it's it's allowed me to do things like this.
Speaker 1: You have a conversation where I used to be scared, right, Okay, I didn't used to I didn't think I had enough in me to do this. You know what I'm saying. My education ain't all that great. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I'm and it allows me to say, Tim, you good you. I made your your imperfection perfection, right, go show your gift. You don't know who you can touch. So I just started this being free and be by me working out and allows me to endorphins in my brain to say I'm a better me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you take allership of your imperfection, you're frailty is then no one can make you feel inferial about it exactly. And when I when I work out with the athletes and they go faster, they look at me, and he got and Piel got a lot of fighters that come in there. He trade all these fighters and they be like, I'm like, man, I ain't trading all these guys.
Speaker 1: But he said, no, get in there. That's what you need. Get now. I get in there, and then they look at me.
Speaker 2: They dap me up, and they really dap me up, Like I could tell it ain't just because I'm timbo to can They really like yeah, yo, because that's because that's what we do. We're athletes.
Speaker 1: We trained. That'll be like if we came in the studio and we did okay on the train, You're like, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the same thing we're gonna give you yours because that's what we do. We train our jobs as body and to make sure our body is performing at the peak conditioning. Yes, yes, And so I wanted to commend you on that. Let me ask you a question, get you out of him business. Are we gonna get a Timbo Missy reunion? And you got anything come? Any new music coming out?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: We all getting a Timbo Missy. I'm gathering up the sound because it's certain. It's a certain sound that I want her to have at you know, you see how good she looks right now. Yeah, she looked like she's twenty years old. Yeah, So I want to give.
Speaker 1: Her a sound to fit how she looks. And that's my job to get her excited while she's doing all the things because I think she's doing the lovers and friends.
Speaker 2: She got a lot of festivals coming up. So I'm just gathering all my material to really go sit down with her. I know April is gonna be a busy mutt, but I gotta finish up with her and I'm gonna try it. We're gonna try to put it out around her birthday in July. Okay, I got cambot. Appreciate you, brother, and this was beautiful brother. Thank you, Bro, I appreciate you. Thank you taking the opportunity to sitting down and talking with me.
Speaker 1: Bro hey man. But look this shay.
Speaker 3: Geez, all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, Hustle bad the Price, Wanta slice got the brother.
Speaker 1: Dis Swap all my life. I've been grinding all my life, all my life and grinding all my life.
Speaker 3: Sacrifice, Hustle bad, the Price one Slice got the brother. Dis swap all my life.
Speaker 1: I've been grinding all my life.