Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hi, everyone, welcome back to Risky Business, our show about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kanikova and I'm Nate Silver. So today we have a slightly different and fun show for you. We're going to start off talking about some of our usual things, so we'll do a quick politics recap. So we're taping this on Tuesday, August twenty seventh. That DNC has concluded, Kamala Harris has accepted the nomination, and a lot of things are going on with Nate's election models, so we're going to talk quickly about that, and then we're going to be bringing on a very special guest, Tim Harford, who hosts another Pushkin podcast, Cautionary Tales, and we'll be talking about the intersection of risk and cautionary details from history. All right, before we bring Tim on, Nate's let's talk a little bit about politics and what has happened since the DNC. Last time you and I talked the DNC was on day one and we weren't quite sure what to expect. We weren't quite sure how it was going to go. So now here we are a week later. Let's recap and talk about what has happened since the convention, and also RFK Junior obviously dropping out, So two big things have happened since we last spoke to potentially affect the model.
Speaker 2: We still don't know that much, but so far it's been kind of a bunch of rand not crap, but like kind of by definition, the polls that are done in one or two days are either online tracking polls which are fine but sometimes don't really capture change some voter sentiment. It's gonna be very stable or quick and dirty fly by night polls that are also not very good. So by Thursday, well, no, so far it seems like Harris is poling as well. She has all campaign, But is it gonna Is she gonna three points or four points or five or six or seven? The model will care about that a lot, but like we don't. We just don't know quite yet. I mean, I thought it was an effective convention, you know, maybe will. I thought the gender politics of her speech were interesting. It was a very male coded speech talking of like the like the most lethal military force. It was a very risk taking speech. Actually right, She's like it was we're privileged, so we should fucking kick ass America. Like I'm like, oh, my gosh, I love this.
Speaker 1: It was a it was a good speech to speak, It was.
Speaker 2: Interesting, it was like not a typical speech. And again I'm a fan of good strategy, and so anybody who shows good strategic instincts I think Harris has repeatedly. Now at this point, I just kind of my estimation of their intellect and their skills goes up a little bit. But but we'll see. I mean, if a speech appeals to me is probably somewhat negatively correlated with it's appealing to the general population, I'd.
Speaker 1: Say, I don't know. It appealed to me as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think she she walked a fine line in I think talking about all of the things that matter, having it actually been heavier on policy than I think a lot of people thought it was going to be, and appealing to a lot of different voters. Right. She didn't. She didn't hew to just one audience or kind of one one topic, and I think that that was actually quite an effective way for her to go.
Speaker 2: No, she avoided some of the presumptuousness, and I think we saw with Hillary. I watched her speech in Hillary Clinton's intersperse with one another, and she avoided that presumptuousness, and she is playing to the center right, kind of unapologized. I mean that's the basic gto game, theoreptical strategy. Most of the time, you want to you want to appear more moderate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then, of course after the convention, we had news on Friday of last week with RFK Junior dropping out of the race and throwing his support.
Speaker 2: What is Cheryl Hines doing? Can we talk about that?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is Cheryl Hines doing?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, when you have polls that test the matchup both with him without RFK Junior, then Trump does better in polls without him. In other words, RFK is taking more votes from Trump than from Harris in our model. We adjusted the model on Saturday to make it rfkless. It didn't hurt Harris kind of like coincidental reasons, which his name was. Like, she is getting like somewhat of a convention bounce. I just said, like, oh, it's like too early to pay attention to it. But like, but she's doing okay, and that was enough to offset this RFK maneuver. But yeah, it's a little bit of a risk factor. Look I think anything involving RFK is kind of over it. He was getting like, you know, three and a half four percent in the polls. A lot of those books will go to other third party candidates. By the way, he'll still be on the ballot technically speaking in a number of states. So anyway, I think it's like an overrated storyline. But you know, it's one of the better things Trump has going for him right now. I suppose after a very bad month, you know, whatever, he whatever quid pro quo there was, and I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but like, look, RFK Junior was negotiating with both campaigns for some type of position. What ambassadorship do you predict that he'll get. Malta might be one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think I think getting an ambassadorship to a country like Malta might might be a yeah, might be a way forward for our FKA. He was very mad that. You know, in the past he has been promised positions in the Trump administration that never materialized.
Speaker 2: Anyway, future ambassador to Malta RFK Junior and doors Stunnel Trump, which should help Trump a little bit, but probably not that big a deal.
Speaker 1: And one more question for you. Last time we spoke, I kind of I don't know if this was last time, but I've definitely asked you whether you thought that Trump was actually going to be debating Kamala in September, and I express skepticism. Now we see that he might be paving the way for not doing that. Have you changed your thinking about it at all?
Speaker 2: You know, Marie, you can go to polymarket dot com, to which I'm a paid advisor, by the way, and bet on this.
Speaker 1: I know I can'tnate because I live in the United States.
Speaker 2: Okay, not if you're an American. I think Donald Trump would be incredibly stupid not to debate he needs at this point. Currently he's losing, right. The reason why we have it closer to fifty to fifty in the model is because you know, there are reasons the model expects the race to tighten up again, and Trump has electoral college advantage if it's really close. But if you have the election today, Harris might be a two to one favorite or something like that. So Trump wants to introduce obstacles for her and variants. So I think it's a bluff. I mean, I think I don't know for sure. Trump's been acting pretty irrationally. I think it's a bluff. If it's not, I mean, if I were the Harris campaign and be like, Okay, don't yo, bro, don't take your coverage too far because you could be a good excuse not to debate you, then we'll just ride this momentum train through to November. And so he has very little leverage. If he ducked the debate, he would look very weak. Yeah, it has to be emasculating. I mean there are gender things here too, right, Like he can't debate Kamala Harris. Like he looks so weak that he has like very little leverage. And if you stupd enough to do that, then you know, probably he doesn't deserve to win. But I'm skeptical that this is anything other than like tactical negotiation.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I'll be very, very curious to see how this plays out. And if I could bet on polymarket, I would, but but I can't.
Speaker 2: You're going to Barcelona, right.
Speaker 1: I mean I am in Barcelona, Barcelona. Yes, this is this is my Barcelona hotel room, nice with my very own mini bar.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's a lot of booze for yes, yes, it is for in the afternoon for me. All right, we're we're gonna bring Tim Harford on. Then maybe you can have a drink Maria, four pm, Barcelona.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. It is just about cocktail hour here in Barcelona. But first, yes, let's welcome Tim onto the show. Tim, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: To be on the show, thank you so for.
Speaker 1: The listeners of Pushkin. You're probably familiar with Tim as the host of Cautionary Tales. I've been lucky enough to be on the show and to have been a listener of the show. I think it's wonderful. My episodes are obviously the best, but it's all pretty good. Tim is an economist, a journalist. He has a column in the Financial Times. He's written multiple amazing books. You know, longtime friend of the two of us, Nate, I don't know if you want to add anything else, but we're so happy to be here and to do kind of an episode where Cautionary Tales and Risky Business intersect, where we talk about cautionary tales that are about risky business, that are about risk, about taking risks, about how risk taking can go wrong, and how sometimes you know the lines between legitimate risks and cons and deceptions might get blurred a little bit and cross over into territory that goes from legitimate to illegitimate very quickly.
Speaker 2: Do you mean to say that campling doesn't always work out, Maria?
Speaker 1: It's weird. It's so weird.
Speaker 3: The chance of loss is in fact one hundred percent, which I guess we'll get we'll get to that. But yes, that.
Speaker 1: Is absolutely true. So when we were kind of thinking about ways to make this episode work, Tim, you thought about one particular story where you and I have actually intersected on this because we've both thought about this person and he's someone who I actually had on my previous podcast, The Grift, and he is a well, let's let's have you lay him out. Let us meet Sam Israel, the first kind of our first subject for today.
Speaker 3: Sam Israel, the third I think is his full name. Third, absolutely remarkable gentlemen if gentlemen is the right term, and it probably isn't. So we did a Cautionary Tales episode live on stage about pyramid schemes and Ponzi schemes and white people fall for them, but also white people set them up, and this kind of strange snowball of disaster where the Ponzi scheme becomes increasingly difficult to cover. And the most amazing example I've ever come across is by You Capital, which was set up by Sam Israel. I saw one writer described Sam Israel and by You Capital. It's like somebody took the Bernie made Off story but was told to write a Hollywood script and to punch it up a bit, you know, make it sing a bit more. And everything that made made Off's Ponzi scheme notorious applies to Sam Israel. But it just all gets crazier. So Sam came from a wealthy family I think of commodity traders in Louisiana, but he wanted to show he could make it himself. And he got into Wall Street at an early age, absorbed that Wall Street culture, you know, all that kind of broish culture of Wall Street in the nineteen eighties. And so he takes all this in, He keeps his mouth shut, He watches various dubious activities, and not just the kind of the sex work and the excess, but also illegality, financial illegality, observes people kind of insider trading, for example, and then he sets up his own firm, by You Capital, which is a hedge fund, and very quickly By You Capital turns from being a hedge fund into being a ponzi scheme. And just to remind people what a ponzi scheme is, it's very simple. Investors give you money, and then you announce you've made massive profits, and then more investors give you money, and you announce you made even more massive profit, and then more investors give you money, and you keep saying you've made massive profits. And if anybody ever says, that's great, I'd like my money back, well that's easy. You can give them the money back with the profits because more people keep giving you, keep giving you their money. And the insight that Sam Israel had was with a hedge fund, it's kind of open ended. The money keeps growing, and why would anybody ever want their money back if you keep telling them they made another twenty percent this year, they made another twenty five percent this year, Like no one ever asks for their money back. They just leave the money with you. And so the fraud went on for a very long time, and then things started to unravel. But Maria, you met Sam So, and you met Sam in prison. So a spoiler. So tell us what did you make for as a person? How did he get into this? Why did he get into this?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because my interview with him was from a while back, you know, twenty seventeen something like that. I honestly don't remember.
Speaker 3: We should say he was arrested, I think in about two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight something like that.
Speaker 1: Wasn't yeah, exactly exactly, but so I was trying to refresh my memory, and you know, just looked at some of the transcripts and then also looked at an interview that he did with Andrew Ross Sorkin, and he told us the exact same thing at the beginning, which is like, don't believe me, I'm a liar. And it's so funny because I think that he thinks that that absolves him, right, if he puts that disclaimer up top, then he can sort of charm his way out and say, but actually, I'm a good guy, right, I'm not like that bad guy made off.
Speaker 3: So I should say there's one amazing scene. Gee Lawson wrote this book The Octopus, which is like the quintessential account of Sammue's wail. But there's a scene in that book where his wife walks in and catches him bent over his desk snorting cocaine through a fifty dollar bill and says, why are you taking cocaine? And he goes, how dare you accuse me of taking drugs? So yeah, sorry, I interrupted.
Speaker 1: He it is the kind of guy he is, and you know, he was incredibly charismatic, and he said, I was doing really really well on Wall Street. Right, he kind of got in. He didn't want to compete with his siblings, so he wanted to do it on his own, so he didn't want to go into the family business. Instead, he had this opportunity to go into Wall Street, worked at a very successful hedge fund and was actually making money. By the way, this is all according to Sam Israel, Right, I haven't actually looked at his returns. I did not look at his balance sheets. I don't know how he did as a trader. He assures me that he was making you know, millions for people and for himself in his prior Wall Street days. So let's just we'll take that on faith. But what I've learned working with con artists is you can't take anything on faith. So asterisk but he was very successful on Wall Street, and I assume he must have been to a certain degree because he started his own hedge fund right and he was able to raise I think about three hundred million to begin with of outside money, which back then, this was nineteen ninety six, I want to say something around somewhere around there in ninety so that was a lot of money. And he went in with a partner who was a close friend of his, who was a disgraced fund manager whose fund had just gone under. But Sam believed in him and thought that, you know, that he was a good guy and that this would work. So the way Sam told it to me was that when they started by you in nineteen ninety six, he kind of relied on this guy, you know, to be an equal partner, and that this guy was started losing a lot of money, and Sam said, well, I'm a good trader, I'm good at this. I'll be able to kind of work my way out of the hole. But he couldn't, and the hole kept getting bigger, and so at some point he realized, you know, shit, we've lost twelve percent in our first year. You know, it's even worse in our second year. This is looking bad, and our ability to raise money is going down because our returns are shit. They're absolutely horrible. And so that's when it became a Ponzi scheme.
Speaker 3: And his his his accountant, who was a guy called Dan Marino. He there is footnote foroobody. Well, if anybody so think about it, this is nineteen ninety six. If anybody googles as pre google, right, if anybody who tries to search on the internet for Dan Marino, they get the football player. So he's working with this accountant who is completely invisible to internet searches. And the accountants are smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really smart.
Speaker 1: It's very smart.
Speaker 3: The accountant's completely crooked and basically sets up his own fake Uh.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a cricket I had a stereotype based on last but sounds like a cricket account accountant or a quarterback.
Speaker 3: So he sets up his own fake auditing firm. So he's basically auditing his own accounts. And if anybody sort of were to really go and check the go the guy who says that Dan Marino's accounts are genuine is an orditor called Dan Marino, and they're the same guy. So that was kind of an important part of this fraud. But yeah, Dan Marinos told the author Gee Lawson that one of the problems was, there's this idea, Oh, we're going to have a really good year. We're going to make a lot of money for real. And when we make a lot of money for real, then it will no longer be a Ponzi scheme. You know, we'll have you know, it's all genuine, It'll all come out good in the end. Dan Marino said. The problem is sometimes they did have good years, but whenever they had a good year, they would claim it was an even better year, and whenever they had a bad year, they would never admit that they had a bad year. So there was a you know, whatever it was, vanity, fear of the consequences, whatever it was, he just made it completely impossible for him ever to catch up with his own life.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's very typical of con artists, right where they say I'll fix it, I'll make it better, this isn't this is just temporary, but it never is. But the most incredible thing about I'm Israel is that once the scheme kind of comes undone, right, which happens at some point, just like with SBF night. Right, at some point people are going to ask for their money and people are going to get spooked, and when they get spooked, like there's going to be a day of reckoning. And he had a moment where he said, oh shit, you know I'm going to jail. And he thought he would get seven or eight years, which was pretty typical for white collar criminals. And then they switched judges and the judge gave him two hundred and forty months, so twenty years right instead, And he was like, oh shit, you know I can't do twenty years. I'm going to be an old man. This is this is not cool. I was ready for seven I can't do twenty. And so instead of you know, figuring out how do I deal with this, he decides to fake his own death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which he's obviously going to work out really well.
Speaker 1: Oh it's going to work out great, we'll be back in a minute. He only has a few months to plan, right, It's not like he has been thinking, oh, I'm going to fake my own death. This is my exit strategy. Because a lot of CONN artists they don't think that far ahead, right, they don't think of the exit strategy. They think it's always going to work out. So he says, I'm going to I'm going to fake my own death. I've watched this really cool movie it's called r V, and I'm going to buy an RV and I'm going to, you know, just go around the country and maybe make my way to go oh, by the way. One of the things he told me was that as after his sentencing, as he was walking out, an FBI agent, one of the ones he'd gotten friendly with, looked at him and said, I have two words for you, Costa Rica. I find it very difficult to believe that that actually has.
Speaker 2: Yes out Mano Dan Marino. Would you Costa Rica? I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I think You've got a career.
Speaker 3: This so but I'm curious. So, Maria, you said that this is very this is short term thinking.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 3: He wasn't really think to the consequences of his actions, and that that's true. Any Ponzi scheme inevitably becomes completely unsustainable. You cannot possibly keep it going. It will come to an end. So what is the way out? And then the faking the suicide again like of course he's going to get caught. Of course, that's not going to work.
Speaker 1: So he decided he was going to jump off a bridge.
Speaker 3: Well, not just he was decided he was going to pretend that he had jumped off a bridge, right, he actually jumped off a bridge because he because he then he did actually actually claimed.
Speaker 1: Actually he actually jumped off a bridge. He did. So this is the research he was doing. When you're trying to fake your own death, and I interviewed this woman, Elizabeth Greenwood, who wrote about faking your own death, you have to think very far ahead. You have to figure out money. You know, how am I going to be off the grid right these days? Like how am I going to survive? How am I going to get out of the country, and you know where, where's my cash going to come from? All of these things. Instead, what he spends his time thinking is researching all of the bridges in New York to try to figure out which one he could conceivably jump off of and not die. So he finds a bridge that's under construction, so there are nets underneath, and he's like, oh, perfect, Like I'm gonna jump and I'm going to land in the net and then I'll use the net to scramble up and get out. So he does this not realizing that those nets are pretty damn hard to climb out of. So he manages to make the net. By the way, thinking about risk right, risk reward. If you miss the net, the you know, the risk reward equation there is not great.
Speaker 3: So the net deigning to catch people or just like a spat of that somebody drops, I mean that's the.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's I think it was. I think it was designed to catch bricks and you know, falling debris from construction. So when a person goes into it, it just like you know, it goes all the way down. So then he's stuck in it. And at this point he's like, I think I'm going to die anyway, except it's going to be much worse because I'm gonna have spent my last minutes trying to scramble up this net. But he actually does manage to get out, and he has a driver waiting for him to take him to his RV and he thinks he's going to drive off into the sunset. Oh, by the way, another really really important thing if you're trying to fake your own death, do not tell your mother, your girlfriend, your son, and the driver that you're going to be faking your own death. Don't worry, momb I'm not actually dead, calling uber.
Speaker 2: Do it in style.
Speaker 1: But that's this is what happened. So you know, he he's fucked from the beginning because he has not thought any of this through. But he does manage to make it out of the net. He's met by a driver, makes it to his RV, and for the first few weeks it actually seems like everything is kind of okay because even though he's living in an RV, living in RV parks, you know, he's kind of getting away with it. And then he walks into a bar one day and he sees himself on TV on America's Most Wanted, and he goes and reads about himself on the internet, which is a big, big no no if you're faking your own death to start googling yourself, but he does that, and he sees that his girlfriend has been arrested as an accomplice and that they're looking to arrest his mother. He doesn't realize that this is a trap, that the police do this kind of thing to try to get people kind of out of hiding. He thinks this is real, and so he gets on a motorcycle, goes to the police department to turn himself in, walks in. He says, you know, hey, I'm here to turn myself in, and the police officer like what you know? In for what? You need to use the bathroom? Like it's over there anyway, there's all of this miscommunication. He says, no, you know, I turning myself in. I'm wanted and I just don't want any press here. And at this point the police officer actually looks at him, realizes who he is, and that is when he gets caught and gets an additional two years added on to his sentence for faking his own death and running away.
Speaker 3: It's astonishing. I'm not one thing you said, Maria. You said that the craziest thing about him, or the most amazing thing about him. I'm not even sure that is the craziest thing about him. But you know, we haven't got all day, so there are other stories you could tell about Sam. But I wanted to ask Nate. Given that, Nate, you've been thinking about the habits of risk taking individuals, these people you call Riverians. Is short termism part of the or kind of a side effect or a glitch in the Riveria and thinking system. So on the one hand, you need that ability to think probabilistically, you need that ability to take calculated risks. But I mean Samme's meel just seems to have never been able to see past the It had no problem taking risks, but just couldn't see past the end of his nose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, look, I think the better investors in gamblers have a longer time horizon. That's kind of one of one of Silicon Valley's secrets, despite their many flaws, that they do kind of think ten years ahead. But yeah, some of this sounds very familiar, Marie, I know if I'm talking to you, the notion of like a good business gone bad. I mean, even FTX was a pretty good business, right, it was like the leading brand for crypto trading. They made legitimate profits, et cetera. But like you know, it turns sour or I think you know, Sam bacon Free couldn't resist the temptation to take all this money sitting on the sideline. He couldn't like resist the temptation to go and gamble with it. But yeah, the lack of advanced planning coupled with kind of miscalculating consequences you know, if you're very charming, which I think Sam Israel is more so than SBF, it's a different story. You can kind of easle your way out of things, right. You can think you can like dance your way out of anything, and you can up the con a level or two or three, and then you may on some level, no, it's not going to work. But I don't know. I mean, at some point there's a point of no return, right, there.
Speaker 1: Is a point of no return. Yeah, I think I think that's absolutely right, Nate. I think one of the this is a characteristic that you have both uh, both with raverians and non reveriance and Tim. I'm sure you've come across this in other cautionary tales, but I think a lot of it is this over confidence in hubris, right, that comes with a certain level of success and people. And I think to be an entrepreneur and to be a risk taker, you need to be over confident to a certain extent. You know, as as we all know, if you actually know your odds of access, you're not gonna you're not gonna start the damn company. You're not gonna you're not gonna try it, because it's the risk of failure, and the chances of failure are so high, so it's a it's this fine balance and I think overconfidence so turns into delusion and turns into this thinking that actually, you know, I can keep doing this forever. And because you've gotten away with it for so long, it seems like probabilistically speaking, you know, your base rates change, I've gotten you know, okay, you know one year, two years, three years, four years, everything's good. This is this is all going good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if the coin comes up heads five times in a row, I mean you see it in poker all the time, right, Yeah. You know, winner's tilt is something which is maybe under discussed loser tilt we all have experienced. Uh maybe not a Maria, uh, but winter's tilt where you're on a hot streak and you're like, ah, maybe I have some gift from God to play poker really well or something is also a big deal.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is. One of my favorite psych studies is from Ellen Langer, and I think the name of the paper is something like heads, I win tails, It's chance something like that. Yeah, And she had people be not bet but guess the results of a coin toss and it was actually not a fair coin. It was rigged, and there were different Basically, it came up heads and tails the exact same number of times in all of the different conditions, but in some of them it was pretty random. In others it was clustered near the end, and in the most important condition, the correct guesses were clustered near the beginning, right, So basically you would say, you know, heads, you'd guess, and then they'd make sure it landed on heads. It was a rigged toss, so that you were right it was yeah, And the people who were correct clustered at the beginning would then and these were Harvard students, by the way. Then they got all sorts of questions like I'm good at predicting the outcomes of coin tosses, and they would rate themselves as actually quite good at it. They would say, if I had more time to practice and to guess, I'd get even better. So things that made it very clear that they thought that this was a skill and not actually completely random. And it was so easy to get people to believe that they were skilled at something where it was just complete randomness when they had those those things happen at the beginning, so Tim, I think this goes back to the beginning of your question. This is how you get into Ponzi schemes. Think about Bernie Madeoff, right, He was successful for far longer than Sam Israel, and Sam Israel, by the way, was the single biggest Ponzi scheme before Bernie made Off.
Speaker 3: Now I'm curious, we've been talking about people who were have an appetite for risk and who it all came apart for Maria, I know you've been doing a little bit of research into one of the most important gamblers in economic history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John Law. He was. He was someone who I wrote about for The Confidence Game and I've come back to so my my next book is about cheating, So I've I've kind of been thinking about him. But one of the reasons I am interested in John Law. So when we're talking about someone like Sam Israel, right, it's pretty clear con artist, right, Ponzi's game. When you're talking about someone like John Law, it becomes much less clear because he's someone who was a huge gambler, and we know that sometimes he was successful, but he also ran his father's business into the ground if I remember correctly, through gambling. But I guess he got better with time and killed a man literal gambling or like literal gambling. So yeah, so he was someone who came from money. Who's you know who whose parents had a financial business.
Speaker 3: We should say this is it was seventeen hundreds, just to situate, right, Yes, for those small number of listeners who don't know who John Lauri is or that everybody should.
Speaker 1: We're in the seventeen hundreds and he's going to be making friends with the Duke of Orleans or the Duke of Orleans who was then Regent of France, and he's going to be basically setting up France's banking system. So the reason why I was fascinated by him is that it's actually unclear if he was a con artist or not, Like did he believe that? Because it was the kind of the end of his time at the height of finance was with the establishment of this thing called the Mississippi Company, which was a huge bubble and basically bankrupted a ton of people. And the question is, you know, did he know what he was doing and get unlucky or did he like basically, did he do this as a kind of Ponzi scheme, as a kind of con or not.
Speaker 3: And the fact that we still don't really agree on that, I think is fascinating. I mean, we should say so. He was originally Scott, a Scott. He killed a guy and a duel, was sentenced to death for murder, escaped from prison, traveled Europe, wound up in Paris, made a few friends with some influential nobles, made a huge amount of money gambling because he would set himself up as the house and he understood the probability enough that he knew he had an edge. So he's gambling with all these nobles. He's making a huge amount of money. And then he sets up his own bank and he starts issuing paper money. This is not the first paper money in the history of the world, it's not even the first paper money in the history of France, but it is. It's pretty new and people are still trying to figure out kind of how it works. And of course this is revolutionary. He's ahead of his time, like paper money is how we do things right. It's kind of amazing. And then the whole thing just gets wrapped up with French government debt and gets wrapped up with the Mississippi bubble and the Mississippi Bubble was it was a stock market bubble. One stock was involved, the stock of the Mississippi Company, and John Law controlled the Misissippi Company. But it was clear that nobody really understood what was going on except that number go up. And if number go up, everyone everyone gets very excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very intoxicating when the number goes up. Right. I did wonder too, there is some survivorship bias in which kind of scams and schemes we discover. You know, the best frauds in history, probably nobody knows about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a good point.
Speaker 2: SPF was convinced that he could somehow navigate his way through bankruptcy, or not through bankruptcy, now his way through this downfall and bitcoin and come out on either side of it. And maybe people wouldn't really notice, right, Maybe it's like a page a sixteen story and not inn a one story. If he like, if there's a spontaneous rise in bitcoin prices and they recover these losses that they have, they were ten million and ten billion in a hole, which is pretty hard to overcome.
Speaker 1: It's funny, Nate. I think that's a really important point that the best con artists are never caught. When people when we talk about conn artists and people ask me, you know, why aren't there as many female con artists, I say a few things, but one of them is kind of a joke but kind of not, which is that they're just better at it. So we don't know them because they haven't been caught. They don't have as much ego, and they know when to disappear and how to disappear much better than the sam Is reels of the world.
Speaker 2: Or like cheating in poker, a lot of these famous cheating scandals, like online cheating scandals, people are are very greedy where they win at like, you know, thirteen centered deviations above some random rate, whereas if you won at two center deviations above random, it would be almost possible to detect and you'd have a great life. Although we don't find those people though, right, we don't find the people that are that are actually good at cheating a lot of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so as we you know, wrap up the story of John law I do think that it's interesting that, I mean, economists don't agree, historians don't agree whether whether or not he was you know, greedy, he was obviously greedy. I think everyone agrees on that, but whether he thought that this could actually all worked out. I found a rhyme that I would love to share if you guys are in poetry mode, that come from the time about what happened with the Mississippi bubble. And it goes like this. My shares, which on Monday I bought, were worth millions. On Tuesday, I thought so. On Wednesday, I chose my abode in my carriage. On Thursday, I rode to the ballroom. On Friday I went to the workhouse. Next day I was.
Speaker 2: Sent first poetry reading on the Risky Business podcast.
Speaker 1: I believe it is it is think that should style tradition.
Speaker 3: That's very good.
Speaker 1: And one nobleman of the time said, thus sends the system of paper money, which which has enriched a thousand beggars and impoverished one hundred thousand men. And obviously that's not true, which is why we you know, that was not the end of the system of paper money. It was just it just happened to be the end of John Law. He had to escape France, by the way, because he was convicted and was going to be sent to prison there. So he dressed up as a beggar ran away to Italy and died in Venice, totally impoverished. And I guess the cautionary talesary.
Speaker 3: It is a cautionary tale. And I guess the lesson, or maybe the lesson is that the economics lesson is, if you're going to have paper money, if you're going to have somebody who has the right to just create money with a printing press, you've got to make sure you have the right controls over that person or over that institution. It can't just be some guy who killed a guy in a duel and came over what a lot of money in gambling, and then he's the guy who can do it. You need this institutional scaffolding, which you know, when we have it, it seems to work just fine.
Speaker 2: We'll be back right after this. I mean, are there like two or three or one big takeaways, like common patterns and when you know something is becoming a cautionary tale or a can.
Speaker 3: At the risk of quoting that classic opening line of Ana Karenina that all happy families are alike, and every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. I think one of the striking things about cautionary tales is that there are a lot of different ways for things to go wrong. There's there are organizational problems, informational problems, engineering problems, hubrisk and arrogance, as short sightedness, lots and lots of self delusion, lots of wishful thinking. I mean, it's a miracle that human civilization survives, actually, given how many different ways there are to go wrong. I mean that is part of the slightly perverse joy of researching and writing these cautionary tales. There is always a new disaster, and always a new way for disaster to happen.
Speaker 1: You make that sound almost gleeful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sometimes I have to remind myself that, like, I'm not supposed to be enjoying this, because some of them are very very sad. Some of them are straightforwardly hilarious and no great harm is done, but a lot of them are pretty painful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Maria, I remember you telling me that, like, cons are most likely to occur when you're in an upcycle or a down cycle, right, not in the steady state, but when there's something new and novel and people are panicking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moments of transition. So whether those are societal transitions or whether their personal transitions is when you're most vulnerable to get cons So it's not a personality trade. It's not intelligence, it's not it's not anything like that. It is this kind of moment of either up or down euphoria or you know, despondency. But when things are uncertain and your worldview gets challenged, gets shattered, gets displaced, you look for certainty, and that's when con artists swoop in and give that certainty to you.
Speaker 3: As long as nothing ever changes, we will say from cons we're good.
Speaker 2: You know, my great grandfather faked his death and got a.
Speaker 1: Wait what okay, Nate, can we just can we we need this story. Sorry, we're pausing everything, Nate, please.
Speaker 2: I mean his name was Ferdinand Thrunn, which is a great name.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing name.
Speaker 2: He was written up in the Chicago Tribune and the New York Times and places like that. Yeah, he was like a insurance fraudster. We should do this as separate segments sometime, yeah, But basically his technique was to commit crimes so devious that there is no law to charge them with because I haven't figured out like this particular type of fry. But we should do proper research and do an episode on this. Maria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so, Maria, Nate.
Speaker 3: I now we've discussed Sam as well, we discussed John Law. I actually had a couple of questions, given that you guys are absolutely experts on this sort of thing, I had a couple of questions for you that I hope you won't mind me asking, and that The first one is, I have your two most recent books in front of me. I have Nate's On the Edge, I have Maria's The Biggest Bluff, Stone Cold Classic Amazing. I looked in the index. The word experiments does not appear in the index of either of your books. Expected value, of course does appear, but experiments does not. And I just wondered whether you two a brilliant risk takers, analysts poker players. But I thought a poker player can't really experiment, like if you want to, if you want to find out, you need to you need to make the bet. You know, you need to put down the money. There's no cheap way to find out what the other person's cards are. And maybe that is a blind spot in poker playing relative to decision making advice in everyday life. Because what I've what I've always been saying to people, is okay, if you're facing an uncertain situation, you know, you don't know what the right thing to do is. Maybe there's an experiment, maybe that you can run a little pilot, Maybe you can run a little you know, ab test. Maybe there's a cheap way to find out without betting all your chips metaphorically speaking. So I just wanted to ask why why did neither of you talk about experiments? And is this in fact a blind spot in the poker player's view of the world.
Speaker 2: It's a great point, Tim. I have a home game I play maybe every third week. That's a one dollar two dollars game, which for me is you know, on the lower side of the stakes. I play, and I probably am doing some experimenting in that game, right. You know, last night I made I had a nut flush straw, which some of our artists will know what that means. I had the ace I flush straw on a board that was King Queen x X and we made like a three x overbet shove on the turn. I'm just going to experiment, I bet. Probably there's some frequency which you're supposed to do. This is in game theory, but like but if I lose this pot, then you know, I'll win sometimes to catch my flush and like it'll be a fun hand to show down and whatever. But I did feel I think we do probably experiment a little bit, and that kind of like naughty feeling you have of like having an experiment and getting away with it, like you're kind of taking the piss to use. Is that the British term. Yeah, you're taking the piss. You kind of get away with it like It's a very satisfying feeling, and I think encourages kurrent artistries sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there are so two things. One, yes, I think that you can experiment this way, and to me, I do it when I move down in stakes as well, right when the money is not not as meaningful and you get to test certain theories out right, So if I'm studying and I'm kind of figuring out different possibilities for playing similar spots, I might test those out and feel comfortable testing them out when I don't care as much about the stakes, when it's not kind of as important. Now that said, we can't experiment as in the traditional so I'm you know, I'm a trained psychologist, right, so when I was doing studies for my PhD. You have to have a very strict experimental design where you have your control group, and you have your test groups, and you know, you have all of these things where you're trying to subtly change the conditions and see if the outcome changes. That obviously you can't do because in some ways, you know, my whole book was an experiment. So experiments not in the index, but the biggest bluff, all of it was was experiment. And I saw poker as kind of a psychology laboratory of out a lot of the psychological theories that I had kind of known in theory and putting them into practice at the table and being able to see, oh, you know, this is how this plays out, this is how that plays out. And I do think that poker is great for that. But of course you can't when you're playing in a tournament, when you're playing in a game, you can't have the exact same conditions where you say, Okay, on this exact same board, I'm going to do this. Let's see what happens. All right, Pretend I didn't do that. Let's go back. Now I'm going to do something else, and we'll see what happens there. Because even if Nate and I were thinking, oh, okay, let's see what it feels like to over bet three times the pot in this particular spot, and Nate says, okay, I'm going to do this, and then Maria, you do why people that's not in poker, that experiment is actually not a valid control group because Nate and I are so different. People respond to us differently, and all of a sudden, you can't control the environment because it's different environment. The moment you switch out the players, right, all of a sudden, the experimental conditions change, even if you've changed literally nothing except who's sitting in that chair. And I think that's actually fascinating and a Really that's how life works. That's why sometimes psych studies from the laboratory don't generalize well to the real world because the real world does get messier and it's much more difficult to control. No. Look, I think all of your variables.
Speaker 2: As someone who's self reflectively kind of seen his social status rise and fall different times. If you're charming and privileged and are seen as being on a winning streak, you can get away with a lot. Yeah, people really are afraid to call you on your bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yes, second quick question. Second quick question, because I have to take advantage of the opportunity to tap into your wisdom. Okay, So you I think I think it's fair to say that both of you would advocate putting a probability on on something. If you're going to make a risky decision, you have to have an idea. Is this like a five to one? Is it a three to one? Is there twenty percent chances is going to happen? Is there are seventy percent chances is going to happen? And you know, and there's a difference between say a fifty three percent chance and a forty eight percent chance, even though they're both close to fifty to fifty. So it's important to quantify as much as you can, even though you don't always have the data. Okay, So two very little stories to get you to reflect on the case in favor of quantification. Apparently, when the US government was pondering the Bay of Pigs invasion, the Joint chiefs of Staff thought that the chance of success was thirty percent, and a report was prepared for President Kennedy and Kennedy and thirty percent was Presumably they thought, oh, the president wanting to understand percentages, so he was told there is a fair chance of success, and by fair chance of success, they meant well, thirty percent. Now we don't know what Kennedy understood by a fair chance of success, but he seems to have thought it was a good chance of success, and he approved this total fiasco. So it might seem more user friendly to express things as well, this is common or uncommon, or likely or unlikely. But actually none of those words really mean the same thing to the person who's uttering the word as to the person who's receiving it. So you should always put probabilities on things. Here's the counter example, counterexample. Think back to the financial crisis two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight. You had quants putting probabilities on things. This is the probability that such and such a thing will default based on what we know about history, based on what we know about other things that are correlated with it. But actually all of those probabilities were spuriously precise. People had too much confidence in the probabilities, and it's fine to say, oh, we think there's like antin five percent chance that this will default. That's fine. But then the problem is you feed the zero point five percent into a model, which gets fed into another model, which gets fed into another model, and in the end you'd be like, oh, well, we've repackaged this thing, and now there's like only a one in a trillion chance that this will default. And it turns out that that's all dependent on the quality of your original assumption and you shouldn't be betting the existence of Western civilization on that calculation. And people got it wrong. So the case against quantification is once you have a number, then you are tempted to rely on that number too much and to analyze or to manipulate or to remodel or to reanalyze that number too much, and to forget that actually the number was always basically just an educated guess.
Speaker 1: Well. I think that when you're talking about quantification and when you're talking about probabilities, it's the exact same logic that you have to apply to algorithms and to kind of building algorithms. Which is something that Nate and I have talked about on the pod with AI, which is garbage in garbage out right. If your assumptions are garbage, then your probabilistic assessment is going to be garbage. So I actually think that both of these things, they're not counter examples. The thirty percent chance of the Bay of pigs. I just think that these were people who had a lot of qualifications, had done the research, had done regulous, rigorous analysis, and that was not garbage in right there. They had assumptions that were there for a good reason. They had good historical data. I have no idea how they came upon the thirty percent. I'm just see making your SUPs. Yeah, hindsight bias exactly, and so you get thirty percent. And by the way, you should absolutely have told Kennedy thirty percent and not fair chance. There are so many psych studies about this that trying to put words with percentages backfires because people do not understand. And it's like if you have a weather man and says a fair chance of rain, right, let's talk about not a fair chance that the Bay of pigs is a success fair chance of rain? Do you bring an umbrella? You want to know what the percentage chances. You want to know that actual number, because otherwise a quantification gets all out of whack. Financial crisis when you have those numbers in the models. Those were people whose incentives were not aligned with giving you a correct probabilistic assessment. Their incentives were to make money. That's also a question that you have to make. You always have to ask, and this is something that Nate and I talk about as well. When you're making these assumptions, do the incentives align, Where are the assumptions coming from, and do you have an incentive to be correct? Right? And in this particular case, their incentive was to make money for them today and to make their company think that this was going to be a great bet that it was going to work out. And so those percentages are not something that you want to rely on. Now, if my incentive is if my percentage is wrong, I'm getting fired. Right. If my percentage is wrong, then I'm making zero dollars. Then all of a sudden, I come up with different percentages, I use different inputs. My model looks very, very different. But Wall Street didn't work that way, still doesn't work that way. That's not how you're incentivized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think there's a risk of laundering subjective opinions through probabilities and forgetting their subjective right. If I'm running nak the airport, there's traffic on the Vanwick or whatever. Right, I might say myself, Oh, it's a five percent chance going to miss my flight. Right, It's not coming out of any regression analysis or anything. You know. I've probably used the phrase in the show, like quoting Vice President Harris. A model does not fall out of a coconut tree. It exists in the context of that which became before it, or whatever else you're trying to get at the truth with the model. And I think mediocre modelers in particular will publish a number and then forget how many assumptions are driven into that. Right. I still think it's worth quantifying things. I mean, at the end of the day, probability is defined as a number between point zero and one, and you have to make decisions even in conditions of uncertainty. But to Tim's point, yeah, I think there are cases where people don't forget how provisional a guess is when you put a number on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it is always important to not have a false sense of certainty. And there's also a lot of data that shows that when you have numbers, and when you have a lot of these things, it does give you a false sense of certainty, right that you often do become a little bit over confident when you're like, well, I have this model, in this model, so this it must be. And there you have the bias that we've talked about a lot, where it goes from being probabilistic to seeming much more certain like this will not default, this will not happen because you forget that it ain't zero.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, guys, fantastic Tim.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming on the pod today. It's been such a pleasure, havn't you.
Speaker 3: It's been really really fun. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. And if people want to hear more about Sam Israel or any other stories of things going disastrously wrong and me trying to investigate the social science behind why they went wrong. Caution ne Tales with Tim Harford is one of Risky Business's sister podcasts on Pushkin.
Speaker 1: It is and there are lots of tales of risk taking assessments that do not turn out quite the way the risk taker thought they would. Risky Business is hosted by Me kind of Cova and me Mate Silver. The show is a co production of Pushkin Industries and iHeartMedia. This episode was produced by Isabel Carter. Our associate producer is Gabriel Hunter Chang. Our executive producer is Jacob Eldstein.
Speaker 2: And if you want to listen to an AD free version, sign up for Pushkin Plus. For six seventy nine a month, you get access to ad free listening. Thanks for tuning in.