Speaker 1: A media Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. The past few years, we have regularly covered the rise of legislation that restricts access to public space and medical care for trans people in the United States, as well as attempts by politicians, lobbying groups, and media personalities to drum up transphobia in hopes of quote unquote eliminating transgenderism from our society and culture. The quest to eliminate transgenderism includes harassment, care campaigns targeted against specific individuals, boycotting companies that feature trans people in their marketing, and banning queer books, media, and art from libraries across the country. The conservative right has decided that the boogeyman of gender ideology and the woke mind virus is one of the most pressing threats to Western civilization. This brand of transphobic militancy opposes any form of visible queerness, viewing it as an ideology that acts as a viral cultural contagion. That's why they spend so much time trying to ban drag shows and art featuring queer people. They know they're losing the cultural battle and that really scares them. As trans people have been trying to weather this huge wave of organized transphobia, Trans and queer artists continue to push forward, with multiple hit films coming out this year from trans directors and transactors and actresses are taking more and more high profile roles. Last episode, I interviewed comedian Ella Yerman and filmmaker Ver Drew on the process of creating independent queer media. This episode will focus on why we are seeing this new wave of queer art, why mere representation isn't enough, and attempts to go beyond the online media ecosystem. Ellie Yerman is the host of Late Stage Lives, a Queer gen Z public access late night show on Brooklyn Public Access and YouTube. The format of late night comedy is almost wholly dominated by old white, sis straight men. Late Stage Live attempts to deconstruct the genre in which it aligns itself with, utilizing sketches, correspondence segments, and original reporting, but for a younger, queerer, more politically radical audience. The show is not just made for gen Z queers. It's also made by an entire team of young, queer and trans people, which gives it a very unique feel compared to literally all of its competition. The show itself feels queer and highlights the massive gap between simple queer representation and queer art, or in this case, queer late night comedy. There's a palpable distinction between hiring a gay person to work on seth Myers versus having a late night show that is built on queerness. On that note, here's a clip from my interview with Ella Yeerman, host of Late Stage Live.
Speaker 3: There's like a huge difference between like the token queer writer and like a show that centers queerness and transness. And I'm really proud of of that. As in terms of our show, like, I think that's one of its main drives is how queer focused. It is something we talk about in every episode, in every piece. Reid loves to hammer this home is sort of the question of why us. It's the first question we ask when anyone pitches any segment or piece or story of the question is like, what's the game, what's the perspective? And then why is it us delivering this perspective? Because anyone can write a piece of political analysis, lots of people do, but like, what about this story is uniquely coming from us, uniquely coming from the host ella, from the writer's room. And I think we found it most strongly in the last two pieces, the Lives of Stickock piece, and then the episode before that, we did a segment on the Alliance Defending Freedom, which is a spooky, evil conservative cabal that trains lawyers to overturn Scotis cases. And I think those both found felt really focused in on sort of us as young queer people. And I think the gen Z part is also really relevant for us. A lot of Late Night is hosted by old men, and as much as I love John Stewart, he is an old man, an old sis, white man, an old sis, as far as I know, heterosexual white man.
Speaker 2: Who already left the job ten years ago.
Speaker 3: And he already left it right, and he's back now, but like what does that say about anything?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everyone talking about politics is like old white guys, and everyone in Congress is old white guys or George Santos, And there's like this sense of like the world is ending, as you probably know on this show that bills itself as like amidst the collapse or whatever your tagline is.
Speaker 5: But like gen Z is so.
Speaker 3: Uniquely affected by political goings on in a way that I say this is true of every general, every youngest generation, that like all of the decisions are impacting us most, but it feels more urgent these days because the world is ending with climate change and with the encroaching you know, global fascism, and with the decay of late stage capitalism, that it feels so important now more than ever to like center those experiences and look at how the world and the news and politics impacts these groups of people. And the way we achieve that is, Yeah, we don't just have one token queer writer.
Speaker 6: We are.
Speaker 3: Our room is all queer, largely trans About half of our writer's room is non one, and as we grow, that number will either stay the same or get bigger, certainly not smaller. Yeah, At the end of the day, I think the fact that the room is completely queer and predominantly trans and non white and all young, it just like sort of happens, And the fact that it started that way and has been built from the ground up that way, I think gives us a huge edge. Even if the daily shows fired all of their writers and hired only trans people, I think it would be a hard pivot to get the show to suddenly be doing what we're doing, just because the whole structure is built differently.
Speaker 2: In Vera Drew's new movie The People's Joker, an autobiographical transgender coming of age parody set in the Batman universe, the shallowness of queer representation is actually one of the core themes of the film. In the movie, the main character is not satisfied by simply being a token diversity higher for a late night comedy show, and instead hijacks the airwaves and charts her own path. This plotline, like many others, mirrors the director's own life, and the movie itself is a perfect example of how creating a piece of art inherently built on a multimedia experience of queerness will produce a wildly different result. Than simply having a gay person in the writer's room. Here's a clip from my interview with Vera Drew. It's not even that I feel like queer representation is like too straight or cist. It's just not even like an accurate reflection of queer reality. You know, Like every gay couple I know is nothing like a straight couple. I mean some of them are, but like those those gay couples always break up, like it's like they're just they're just in you know, reenacting cycles and thousands and thousands of years of patriarchal bullshit on each other when they could just be having hot gay sacks with each other. And like that to me is like the biggest tragedy of like representation. And it's like is also why I think people lash out at us so much. Like I on one level, I understand the idea of like this is getting shoved down our throats, you know, because like it kind of is that's coming from a place that I sort of agree with, because they're getting sold this like propaganda that it's like they're just like us, you know, and like to me, it's like my experience is so specific to me and so specific to you know, like the experience of a trans woman. There are things about my life that are similar to that of assis woman but not certainly not identical. So like I never want to see art that is that. I also, I'm like really over trans people being used in a way that they're either I mean, it doesn't really happen anymore where they're like treated like freaks, but like it's kind of the tragedy porn or kind of pedestalizing us. I guess, like I hate that, like my identity is inherently political, like just because I I this is who I am, Like I it's not a pleasant situation to deal with. So I think with joker, Yeah, I want people joker, I really wanted to talk about representation in a way that also just wasn't annoying because like I also, it's not even that I'm tired of having this conversation. It's just sad that people like us keep men having to have this kind of conversation because like I've also heard it now within our own community that like you know, I've heard other trans filmmakers say like we should only be telling happy stories, we should only be spreading queer joy or what absolutely not No, absolutely, not like it's that's embarrassing. Yeah, I want I want to spread queer panic. I want to it's not even panic, just like queer existential uh horror, I suppose I don't know.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean for me, it's like I don't know, like because I've gotten shipped to not I haven't gotten a lot. And now honestly that I've started mentioning in the press, people have said it to me as much just good, but like I was getting a little bit of the like how oh making the joker a murderous trans woman?
Speaker 8: Okay, you know please?
Speaker 7: First of all, like villains are queer coded the history of film, Oh, almost all of the bad villains are queer coded except completely, And like why can't so why can't a why can't we do it like not in a subtext way? Why can't we just do it directly? And then also like I live in a country that villainizes trans people, so like why can't I process that very thing by making myself a queer villain in a in a movie that I made? And and I don't know, it's like I think what I hate about the queer joy thing and the like the people's Joker is like a very funny movie. It's very pel it's very campy, but it's also like devastating, you know, like it's it's got a very serious message to it that I think it brings up a lot of emotion in people when they watch it, both SIS people and trans people, And you know, I think that speaks to something else, just like about representation is like I told this story that was so specific to my experience, and like trans people are identifying with it and relating to it, but so are CIS people, you know, Like yes, like you know, we should be telling stories that portray the trans experience honestly or the queer experience honestly and specifically. And if we do that, like if we do that effectively, that is still art that a SIS person can consume because SIS people also go through transitions. SIS people also have to die and be reborn sometimes, and like I think just everybody kind of comes of age. It's just like trans people and we were people kind of have to do it more visibly and publicly and externally a lot of the times. And and uh, I don't know, for me, it's like that was like another reason too of like of just being like no, like we're gonna get this out into theaters and and you know, like make this kind of theatrical experience before anything else. You know, it was always made made to be like viewed, I think with like a crowd of people like yeah, yeah, kind of like a midnight movie vibe.
Speaker 2: I guess when you think about it, Jesus and the Joker I do have a lot in common in terms of getting baptized, getting bored again. It's it's really very similar characters.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And I mean that's why, uh, because I think this was something while Brie and I were writing the movie that she was constantly every step of the way like what are you doing, like why are you bringing this much like gnostic Christianity to this?
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: Uh? Like I I remember, you know, there's this like French song that's in the movie called I'll Be Your Joker that's composed and performed by Emily Sloan, and the lyrics to that are a poem that I wrote that are just.
Speaker 8: You never like it's not in anywhere in the movie.
Speaker 7: It's just in that song. But it's like this, it's the people's joker prophecy, Like I actually wrote it in this like kind of Gnostic Bible structure, and then we translated it to French and recorded it as a song and like that was like really kind of coming from that place of like just really I love I mean, I'm obsessed with Jesus uh, and I kind of just always have have been, Like I was raised Catholic and I just I'm I'm not Christian, but I have a lot of Jesus stuff around my house. Like I'm I'm just obsessed with like the iconography and really love it the story itself as like a myth and like the mythic understanding of of death and rebirth, and also just thinking of it as like another example of like the hero's journey. And I don't know, like it's somebody asked me at a Q and A like how basically like how do you have the balls to like cause by the end of the People's Joker, like you basically find out it's like cut it is like Dune. There's like a weird Messiah story happening, And that partially just comes from like I think for me, queerness is inherently like a very spiritual experience. It just has been for me, and I think a lot of trans people actually deal with Messiah complexes. I think it's something that I feel safe saying I have, and I also really wanted to unpack that just idea of the like Joseph Campbell White Savior Hero's journey thing.
Speaker 2: It could happen here. We'll return after these messages we now return to it could happen here. During my interview with Vera Drew, she mentioned it something about not just wanting to throw the movie up on YouTube when the film is dealing with legal issues resulting in uncertainty around how the film would be released, And that got me thinking about queer people's relationship to platforms like YouTube as the sort of default way of sharing video art. A big reason why is simply because the platform is so accessible without many of the hurdles and roadblocks of more traditional distribution models. But sometimes I worry that it's become so default that our reliance on YouTube has actually become a self limiting factor that overdetermines the scope of our own art. Let's return to my interview with Vera Drew to continue this topic. Queer people, specifically trans people have kind of been stuck with a lot of their art or video art just becoming this thing that you throw up on YouTube. We've done a good job in making like a community there, I suppose, but at certain points it feels very like insular, like we've created this little tiny bubble that everything is just trapped inside of. Because obviously we can't like rely on like big studios to make our own stuff or distribute our own stuff like that. That's not happening either. But I feel like we're kind of kicking ourselves in the foot if our only artistic output is like techno music and YouTube video essays, both of which can be good, both of which can be art. But there's a whole other world out there that I feel like we have closed ourselves off from, and so I'm kind of interested, like like on that choice to like not put it on YouTube and actually like ride this thing out as like a movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that is Uh, it's it's such a relief to hear you talk about it in that way, because, yeah, I never want to be dismissive of online creators.
Speaker 8: Sure, Like I worked in TV.
Speaker 7: For ten years as a editor, and I was very fortunate to work on a lot of really cool shit, Like I worked on my first job was I was an intern on The Eric Andre Show, and like then my job immediately after that was on Nathan for You, So I really got to work with like all these really amazing comedians, many geniuses, and in that process like always knew I had wanted to make film, Like my earliest memories are are wanting to make films. Like right around the time I saw Batman Forever, I was like, I want to be a director, and I came up in post production just because like a lot of editors end up sort of following, you know, a lot of editors are really just direct like frustrated directors. So I was kind of like, here's a place where I could like sort of learn my craft. And I've always loved experimental animation and visual effects and stuff and also just like incorporate that as well into like my career. And it's good. I'm so glad I had it as like an incubation period for me to kind of find my voice and my aesthetic and and learn a lot from these like super talented people. But there was always this frustration that I had because when I would take stuff out to pitch or anything that was like my own story, like you can't really get trans art made in any sort of mainstream space. I think that's one of the things that's most frustrating about the whole like woke culture bullshit, just because it's like they act like we're some sort of like elite class that's like favored by the media, which it's like I can just tell you, like that's I'm on my press week right now. Like the media is certainly enamored with trans people, but like I don't think it's like coming from a place of like we're trying to change and put everything and you know, make these people in charge. It's just uh, you know, it's it's click baity and it gets people, it keeps people arguing online. So it's very hard just to even break through as a director too. Like I mean I was at that, you know, forget pitching shows that I've written or whatever, like just trying to get episodic TV work. I just couldn't do it, like once I changed my pronouns, Like I was literally up for jobs that went away after I came out. So I just reached this point of like I think, maximum frustration and kind of like wanted to whatever I did, you know, I don't want to say like I was ready to walk away from like working in the industry in twenty nineteen, but I kind of was like I was kind of just at this point where I was like, I need to make a fucking movie or something on my own and kind of just put all I have into that, and that's going to be the way people will either finally take me seriously as a director, or like I'll at least have made a movie and then I can just be in debt and I'll have a movie I made. So to me, it was always about not necessarily like finally being taken seriously by my indus, but just like kind of making this giant piece of art that is not only like a big like look what I can do, you know style thing, but like is also just about all of that about the frustration of being allowed in but only being allowed in in these certain ways, like whether it's on like a diversity cast or like, you know whatever. Like I was, I worked on the show. I can't really talk about it because it's like NDA stuff and I don't think the show will ever come out. But I was in the writer's room on a cartoon that was being rebooted and it was one of my favorite cartoons of all time. But I had a day where I was like just sitting in the writer's room and I was like looking around at my coworkers and it was I was like, oh, wait a minute, it's all girls, and I'm I'm a girl, and I'm a trans girl. We're all just being brought in to rehabilitate this like problematic piece of art, you know. And it was like this crazy moment of having like like also have had lost jobs because of my identity and now in this place where it's like my identity is like this bargaining chip. So anyway, how does this connect to the online art conversation? Like I've always kind of had to also play in like online spaces, Like I started a public access station with my friends a few years ago called Highland Park TV. A few years ago. I was like ten years ago now, but that's still going on today. And it was basically just this space for us where we could like just record whatever. You know. We'd meet up one week and come with like some pretty simple sketches and shoot it on our public access set and throw it up online. And you know, like twelve people would watch it and that was it and that but that was cool, like you know, you'd build like little followings and communities that way, and I had always just wanted to break out of that, you know, because I think my sensibilities are pretty me and edgy and weird. But like I'm really kind of a basic bitch, like when it got to the stuff I like, like, I really like my taste is very college dorm room. I have a back to the future tattoo. Like I'm very influenced by like genre film, and you know, like I love David Lynch, I love experimental film and stuff too. But like I've always like really felt like I.
Speaker 8: Could do it.
Speaker 7: I could be like just like a genre filmmaker. But when we had the controversy at TIFF, I had a lot of pressure on me to just kind of put the movie out there, and I could never articulate to people why it was important to me to not do that and to hold out. It wasn't just like financial, it really was. I mean, I mean, maybe it's ego thing, but it's also just like I've been doing this long enough to know like the movie was gonna always find its audience, but there needed to kind of be a plan in place so that like I could actually put it towards having a career that the career that I've wanted my whole life. You know, Like, I think it's ridiculous that we live in a culture now where every artist, even the ones like me who have had a trade in this industry, Like in an industry like that, we have to really carve our own path in online spaces or on Twitter or YouTube or whatever. It just keeps us all in cycles of poverty. It like, like I fucking hate posting to Twitter. I do it still just because it's the easiest way to get the word out, But every single time I send a tweet, I'm like, this sucks. Like I'm supporting one of the worst people alive right now just by still using this site, somebody who hates me and people like me so much that he literally won't talk to his own child. Yeah. Like, I really just wanted to kick the door down for myself and hopefully for some people that come after me. And you know, I really don't want to be the type of filmmaker and the type of queer filmmaker who like holds the ladder up behind them, like it's not even that I have integrity, it's just that like this movie is that to me, this movie is such like it's a gospel on how we need to be making art more ethically and more for ourselves and from a place of care. And yeah, that's just I want to hopefully change my little corner of the industry as much as I can toward that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it definitely feels like we're getting more and more people are embracing this idea of independent queer cinema, and more people are are deciding instead of putting whatever short film they want on YouTube, try to do a festival circuit.
Speaker 6: And it's it.
Speaker 2: That was one of the things that I think I really respected after what happened at TIFF. What I really respected at your insistence to like, no, like we're going to find a distributor, Like we're we're not just gonna throw it up online and call it a day. It's not just gonna be like a fan film. It's like, this is an actual, like expressive piece that we're gonna It might mean that you won't see it for another two years, but it shows like a level of like actual artistic commitment that I found gave gave the project a real sense of like wait, oh, thank you. The notion of this comfortable YouTube bubble we've created is perhaps why I find the public Access TV side of la Yeerman's Late Stage Live so compelling. A lot of queer people around my age grew up with the transgender video essay as the primary form of our artistic video output, and there's a lot of good video essays out there, but at a certain point it started to feel like the main way a young, radical queer person could engage with the art form. It's gotten to feel so insular and a bit restrictive, like we're enforcing our own bubble. On top of this self limiting aspect, I'm not even sure how much growth the format even has Anymore. Recently, I've begun to see more queer artists specifically trying to make things outside the strict video essay framework. Even some of the most popular trans video essay creators have been trying to move into documentary and narrative film making. I asked Ella about moving beyond the video essay bubble because although Late Stage Live does it air on YouTube as well as Brooklyn Public Access, the format is not just your average transgender video essay.
Speaker 3: We don't have any pink lighting at all. Yeah, it's definitely something I've been thinking about a lot, both like in my own personal career and for the show. A lot of my bylines in the last few years are all YouTube based with late stage and some more news, and it's frustrating that even as YouTube has seen so much growth, and like celebrities come from YouTube all the time and some of the biggest names in the world.
Speaker 5: Are Internet stars.
Speaker 3: Now, there's still like the sense of illegitimacy to be doing a project on YouTube, and like when I try and get published in like more legitimate journalism magazines every so often, I'm always looking at my resume and being like, I wish I had like a byline in a magazine instead of three years of writing for a YouTube show that I love so much and think is doing better works than most of these magazines, but like that I know won't get treated the same. So there's definitely an aspect to that that I think. Yeah, like it's partly YouTube is so accessible anyone can post on YouTube that I understand why queer people have sort of relegated themselves to this bubble. Trans people wrote like why we've ended up with like you know, the trans video essay scene, thank you Mother Natalie. But it makes it hard to sort of break into this like final frontier of legitimacy, I think, and I think by like, yeah, like not fully committing ourselves to being a YouTube show from the get go, we do sort of leave doors open to be considered like a more legitimate television production, which is exciting for like growth opportunities. I think the live studio audience also really pushes us out of that zone. We get a lot of accusations from people who are mean on the Internet of using a laugh track, and I just want to say, and I will say it till the day I die, It would be so much easier if we were.
Speaker 2: I could totally tell when there's gay people laughing the background versus a laugh track. It's a very clear difference. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: It would be so easy if I was just plugging that in in posts.
Speaker 6: But no.
Speaker 3: We bring in thirty thirty five Gaze every month just to laugh at my jokes, and sometimes they don't. And you can see that too when they don't laugh at my jokes. But I think that is something I was really excited to do. That is different from a lot of the other video essay sphere because it also brings in aspects of live performance that I love as a stand up and as a theater artist. And also like, yeah, just pulls it into like a slightly different genre of thing that we're making, and I think certainly in terms of like growth and audience building and like the potential of being picked up by some larger organization. It definitely puts us in like a different It makes us look slightly different than like a YouTube show, even if we can all like sort of quietly acknowledge, like, well, what all of our growth is happening on YouTube and Instagram? But like, as you said, like Real Late Night is huge on YouTube now too, and there's all these other extra correlating factors of like monetization on YouTube sort of died a few years ago after the ad apocalypse or whatever, and you have to go through crowdfunding sources like Patreon or sponsorships or x Otherwise, like there's not like you can't.
Speaker 2: Nebula or whatever new streaming service for YouTube pops up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, you can't just rely on ad sense anymore, and that's frustrating in its own degree. But I think even beyond that, Yeah, like not relegating ourselves to being a YouTube show, both thematically and like concretely in terms of content and form is like really exciting. And I think like, even as we grow and gain a budget and are able to buy nicer cameras, we want to like keep the aesthetics and vibe of like edgy radical public access because it's like a part of the voice of the show along with sort of the practicalities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having background ketamine jokes, I think really is right sets you apart the quote.
Speaker 3: Unquote VHS cleaner that sits on the desk every episode. I don't own a VHS.
Speaker 2: We will return to it could happen here after these messag we now return to It could happen here. To me, the most exciting thing about the idea of a new wave of independent trans cinema is that we'll get to see a whole bunch of trans films that otherwise would never get made by the big studios. After trans filmmaker Jane Shanbron's successful festival run of her small scale future debut titled We're All Going to the World's Fair back in twenty twenty one, Her next film, called I Saw the TV Glow, got picked up by Emma Stone's production company and a twenty four The film is now coming out later this month. In the case of the People's Joker, it dares to take Warner Brothers and Disney at their word that their privately owned intellectual property is in fact our culture's version of mythology, our very own Greek gods. And so if these characters really are the cultural icon that the monopolized companies who own them claim them to be, what happens when we actually do treat them like mythology and use these characters to artistically mythologize our own lives By skillfully sidestepping copyright law via effective legal parody, we get to have a Batman film through the lens of transgender chaos magic, which I'm afraid would simply never happen under Warner Brothers Discovery, as they can't even stop deleting their own finished films to get tax write offs. A few weeks ago, I showed my it could happen here co host Mia Wong the People's Joker, and afterwards we talked about what makes it feel so special and it's placed within the pantheon of queer cinema.
Speaker 8: One of my dear friends, Vicky Asturweil, is writing a book called The Extended Universe about sort of copyright law and what's done to film and specifically focusing on on Disney and the thing that's different about The People's Joker. Right, if you want to know why the People's Joker is you know why specifically you couldn't make this. It's partially because it's trans and it's partially because it's actually a movie. Yes, because and then this is this is this is this is Vicky's argument, you know, and this is this is the hidden truth about the film industry is that movies are not designed to sell movies.
Speaker 2: No, they're designed to send copyright.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: No, it's it's worse than that. Like, a superhero movie does not make money on the movie, right, The movie theater is not making money on the movie. The movie theater is making money on food the company itself. That's not where the money comes from. The money comes from toy sales, yeah, and sales of stuff afterwards. Right, So what you're actually seeing when you're seeing a superhero movie is just an ad And this is Yeah, and this is part of what the people's joker is that makes it different, right, And you know, and it's because, like specifically, because it is trans and because of the way that is trans this makes it impossible for its being made by corporation, and because trans people fought to make it, it gets to be an actual movie and not a fucking toy sales thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're not going to be making a toy of mustache pedophile batman.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Right, And this is incredibly important for the genre of film because you know, I mean, there is a world that is not too far off where we are the last people making actual fucking films and not advertisements.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: To use this sort of like only semi ironically, using this sort of lofty like Marxist language is like, yeah, like we kind of also have been given the historical task of saving film from its complete annihilation by these fucking capitalist copyright gouals. It's a pleasure to see. It's a joy to see. I think I was reading an interesting article recently that talked about how trans media's orientation has been very referential. It's been very much based on experiences that trans people have as kids, engaging with media, whether that's with something like Buffy the Vampires Layer, whether that's with DC comics, and it's because transness is so much about recontextualizing your whole life and identity. A lot of trans media has also been about this form of recontextualization, both with I think The People's Joker is a great example also, uh uh, the upcoming film I Saw The TV Glow, which is very much based on like Buffy and other and other kind of like Monster of the Week title TV shows. It's combining all of that kind of stuff with a lot of lynching influences, both both in these cases, both in The People's Joker and in I Saw The TV Glow to create this like fever dream of self identity in this referential format, and that's been an interesting trend to watch in trans cinema, and I think that's that's something that's something to look I think that's something to look for when you're engaging with future trans cinema projects, seeing if those kind of things pop up and if and if they don't, why is that what else is actually happening instead? I think those are gonna be some interesting interesting ways to uh engage with our own diy art in the next decade here, because as much as like everything we talk about is so like depressing, like on this show, like about how everything dealing with like trends stuff is about how everyone's trying to like kill us and restrict our medical care, that does not actually stop us from becoming people who actually engage with culture in any real sense. I think despite everything that's targeted against trans people, it does not stop us from actually having a cultural output. And the thing a lot of conservatives are afraid of is our cultural output. The fact that trans people keep being actually really compelling artists and really really compelling people in general makes conservatives service. I don't think it's impossible for conservatives to make art.
Speaker 2: I think there is conservative art that actually can be seen as like okay art, But they certainly are afraid at how good trans people are at making music and now making movies. When I was talking with me, she brought up a good point that all paraphrase here. Part of why we're seeing this new wave of independent transcinema is the result of a combination of two things. One is that trans and queer artists have been and continue to be chewed up and spat out by the traditional media machine, and two, the traditional media machine itself is slowly rotting from the inside, which can be a tricky situation to navigate for a lot of queer artists. But simultaneously, it also means that we're in this position, we're having been spat out, we have full rain to go make our own, massive, grotesque, degenerate queer art on our own, because there simply is no artistic alternative. Trans people need to be submitting to film festivals regardless of whether or not CIS viewers and critics will understand the work. Filmmaking is one of those art forms that you can't really do all by yourself, but that doesn't need to be a limitation. That can be an asset. Gay people are good at a lot of different things, and filmmaking integrates so many different artistic areas and skills, and as we've seen, a movie made by a community of queers can create such a unique result. When talking with Vera Drew, she mentioned that having a whole team of artists help her complete the movie is also in part what ensured that she would find a way for the film to be distributed the right way so that it's seen up on the big screen and not just published online for free.
Speaker 7: You know. That was another thing that really kind of kept me from doing anything irrational with the film, like posting it on Google Drive with contribution to like a donation link or whatever. It was like like I have all these artists that just worked on this movie with me for two and a half years, and like, no, we're gonna fucking do this, Like I said I would do this, and I'm gonna do this cause like I can't just like feed this back into the incubator and the fucking feedback loop of trans Twitter and like cool underground circles that I totally love to be a part of, but we're all trying to, you know, get more visibility outside of those things. So yeah, I always really just wanted to honor that, honor the team and make everybody feel valued, and you know, I paid as many people as I could, and you know, was very str forward about what I could afford, and a lot of people worked in ways that they just felt compensated and that was very appreciated. You know, I think in general, like everybody on this was very underpaid, but like it was such a labor of love and such like a a personal thing for for all of us that everybody just like showed up and really rallied around each other and really just kept saying yes and to everything, and it's so cool. I don't I don't know how I'll ever really be able to replicate. I don't think I should either, just because it's it was it was quite a Gargantiouan task, but you know, it was. It was literally the best time of my life was was making this movie. Like I think it really it taught me just how to be a human being and how to love and how to like finally feel connected to my to my queer community, because I think like the People's Jokers really more than anything, it's really about nuance and like relationships and family and politics, and it talks about nuance by really leaning into these like extremes, which I think just is also inherently queer, and I don't know, I mean, that's to me, is like another thing. It's just like I hope and there's a lot of trance filmmakers that are like starting to pop up in the genre space, but like I hope we see more of it, just because like we all grew up on the same movies that Sis people did, so like, why can't we make similar art, you know, and tell our stories in the process, and also do it in a way that's like not hiding in the shadows.
Speaker 2: The People's Joker is slowly ending. It's us theatrical run, but you can still look for tickets and show times at The People's Joker dot com and you can find Vera Drew online at Vera Drew twenty two. Late Stage Live just released their sixth episode and I'm really excited to see how the show will grow and evolve over time.
Speaker 3: And we've actually recently hit an inflection point with the show where like the sort of organic, haphazard growth is no longer sustainable for us. We've been having a lot of really exciting and scary conversations behind the scenes about like formalizing our production process and kicking our shit up a notch so that we have the potential to make this bigger and better and more polished. But it is at its core still like a production born out of community and like mutual respect. I'm Ella Yeerman. You can find me on Instagram at La dot Yeerman, on x dot com at Ella Yeerman. I think I'm on Blue Sky. Also, though I don't do anything there. You can find Late Stage Live as Late Sailers Live on all platforms. That's Instagram, x YouTube, TikTok probably also Blue Sky, but those are the big ones. And then if you're interested in finding my stand up show, we're at T four T Comedy on Instagram and x oh. And then most specifically, if you're interested in helping fun blade stage and make us bigger and better and shinier, you can go to patreon dot com slash Late Stage Live, where we post. Yeah, we have a behind the scenes photos and videos, and we make a semi frequent podcast where my head writer and I talk about the news and shoot the ship and talk about the process and a lot more detail episode by episode. And we're so grateful for our current patrons and for opportunities like this, and we're excited to see where the show.
Speaker 2: Goes that doesn't for us, and it could happen here. I hope you enjoyed my Transformers and g I Joe ad Break references, and if not, you can send any complaints to the President of Columbia University. Solidarity to everyone across the country who's been out the past few weeks, see you on the other side.
Speaker 8: Welcome to take it up. And here a podcast that is I don't know, I'm gonna, I'm gonna. I'm gonna speak for the rest of my hosts who aren't here so they can't stop me and say that this is a podcast normally opposed to brunch. I'm your host, Mia Wong, and today we are talking about some that we kind of haven't been covered, we haven't covered as much as I think we should have, which is unionization in small businesses. We've talked a lot about unization and sort of larger things. We've talked about sort of mid mid sized chains. But today we're talking about the unionization of a place called Friday Egg I'm in Love in Portland's which it's it's if you sort of imagine the platonic ideal of what do you think a place called Friday Egg I'm in Love is going to be? Like it is in fact that And with me to talk about this is Soul and Janey from the Friday Egg Workers Union. Yeah, both of you, welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm excited to talk about this partially, you know, I mean as as we've sort of discussed a little bit, because I want to get into a bit later the specific dynamics of sort of small business union stuff. But first things first, I wanted to sort of talk about what, actually, you know, how did you all decide to unionize, because I think this is a bit different story than the kind of thing we usually get on this show.
Speaker 9: Absolutely well, I've been at this particular restaurant since twenty nineteen and it's been something that's come up every now and then. I think we're just a very queer workplace. We're a very leftist workplace, and we tend to have a lot of common ideals. And I feel like what makes our unionization effort unique or maybe not unique, but just different than a lot of like we need to start a union right now kind of efforts is there wasn't a thing that caused it. We were all, like me and five other people were just sitting around a table and decided, Hey, we should just start a union, and so we kind of looked into what that looks like and the snowball started rolling downhill.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and this is something I think is really interesting because you know, I mean one of the things you get really commonly in sort of like anti new propaganda. You see this, like I so a lot of my family were engineers, right, and engineers do this all the time where they're like, oh, we don't need a union. We're like happy, we're well paid, everything's great. And then you know, you look at you, you look at what happens to them, and it's like, oh, well now you have boeing Right, It's like, well, you you will, you will, you will never organize, you no longer have any power, and your planes are like falling from the sky. So yeah, this this is a I'm gonna I'm taking this, taking my soapbox moment to be like you two out there, even if your job is good, at some point it's going to not be and you should unionize first before they I don't know, like be google and decide that I don't be evil actually constrains them from making money and decide to be evil, So get get out ahead of them before.
Speaker 9: Couldn't agree more absolutely, this has felt very, very proactive.
Speaker 10: I haven't been there nearly nearly as long as some of my comrades, but the general like consensus is that like things are pretty good. So instead of letting things go bad, let's let's make you know, major steps to protect what we have, especially as like you kind of notice how this small business is slowly, slowly starting to operate like not a small business mm hm.
Speaker 9: And we had a one of our food carts was upgraded to a brick and mortar at the beginning of this year, and pretty much in that in that moment that that started operating as a real restaurant, it things really clearly I think started setting in that like that this is a bigger operation than it used to be, and they very like the owner very much still has the intention of making it as good of a place to work as he can, which is to be appreciated. But it's also understandable that as things start to grow, it's a lot better if it's a collaborative process in terms of making it the best place to work that it can be. And I think getting a seat at the table is something that we have to make for ourselves, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a threat or a retaliation.
Speaker 8: This is something I think is kind of important with unionizing, especially places that are kind of you know, like or you know, we're even where the sort of the boss is legitimately trying to like do the right thing, which like it's kind of true of like my work, right, like you know, like the people above my bosses are kind of a fiasco, but like my immediate like bosses are like you know, it's Robert and Sophie, right, Like they're pretty chill. But you know, like one of the dynamics that sets in is like you know, it's not what the actual conditions are, isn't necessarily always going to be under their control, even if you know, like even if they want to do the right thing, and the demands of things like scale and you know, the demands of sort of market competition have this sort of disciplining effect on what, you know, like what what your working conditions can be if you're going to sort of compete with like I don't know, you're your like doughnut shop that like torches is union workers.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: You know for example, Yeah, yeah, pure purely abstract.
Speaker 10: Purely abstract. Yeah, absolutely, you know, seeing a shop of you know, twelve become you know, two shops, a food cart and a commissary kitchen of thirty five. But definitely, you know, it's just pushing the business in a direction very naturally. It feels very much like a part of how systems work, even if our even if your owner has really good intentions, just the nature of how capitalism works is starts to change things as Yeah at scale for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that that gets into something else that I'm sort of interested in how the sort of unionizing process went, because this is a very I mean, I guess going from twelve to thirty five is a big increase in the number of people, but that's still a very small shop. So can you talk a bit about what it's been like kind of organizing in you know, I mean organizing a number of people that you can very easily fit into a room.
Speaker 9: It's been interesting and it's been exciting in that way because we are able to cram into a room and the energy is very palpable and so like inspiring momentum to get shit done in each other has been really really wonderful in that way. But I think also it's it makes it easy for us to be very tactical with how we are handling this process, where we're making sure that at all four locations there's a majority, if not unanimous approval and support and membership in the union. And the more that the more that I'm meeting union organizers and union reps and people from IWW, the more that I'm realizing we're in a situation where we can establish some really lovely precedent for similar workplaces who want to start a union, who are about the same size as us, or even like neighbors in our like on the on the streets that are locations are at where we can do things like there's not enough precedent in the IWW for a service industry in general, but particularly it's it's very common to be in the negotiating process and one of the things that will be offered to the employer in exchange for whatever you're negotiating on is like a no strike clause, like okay, we'll just we'll give this to you of like we're just not gonna be able just to strike for the duration of our contract, and so in exchange we can get some other stuff that we're asking for. But because we have such a strong majority, and in all four locations we have a strong majority, I think we're currently planning on keeping the right to strike. Hell yeah, and you know we're not planning on it. I hope that we don't ever have to do that, but just having that as precedent I think will help our community and other similar unions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, I think. You know, this is something that going back to if you look at the sort of heyday of American unionism, if you look at like the fifties sixty seventies, like those contracts didn't have no strike clauses in them. Some of them did, so sometimes it was like a federal thing. But the thing about no strike clauses is that it makes you know, we've talked about this a bit before on the show, but one of the sort of issues when you have a union is like, okay, see, even if you get a contract right, and that usually takes that takes a long time, takes a lot of fighting, the company is immediately going to start trying to violate the contract. And so you know, your contract is only as strong as your ability to enforce it. And you know, one of a really really good way to enforce it is by being able to go on strike. But normally, like yeah, people aren't organized enough to actually like fight their employers on it, and so it just ends up being a kind of standard part of contracts, And yeah, it's really exciting that y'all are committing to fight for that from the beginning, because it's it's it's hard, it's it's not it's not an easy thing to do.
Speaker 9: Now, the more I learn about how unions operate, the more I'm realizing that, you know, it doesn't necessarily stop people from getting fired, it doesn't necessarily stop people from having, you know, injustice happened upon them. But it just gives you the ability to fight in the first place. And I think a lot of employers who are facing a workplace who are wanting to unionize like recognizing that it's it's it's not like a threat. It's not like, Okay, we're uh, we're going to have this union and everyone's going to go on strike the next day and our business is going to tank.
Speaker 7: But it's they're just.
Speaker 9: Asking for the right to to have a better negotiating seat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is something I actually think it's really interesting about this campaign where there's this really kind of I don't know, I think if you're able to build a precedent of being able to negotiate a contract that doesn't have no strike clause, that allows you to go on strike whatever you know, whenever you want is something that is like characteristic of liking of you know, of a of an incredibly militant shop. But I think if you can, if you can actually get the precedent of you know, having companies treat this as normal, because it's something that should be normal, right like this, this is how a lot of the US used to work, right it used to be. If you were on like an auto line assembly line, there'd be there be a guy in a back with a whistle. And if and if you know, if a contract violation happened, or like you know, if if the company is asking you to do something that you aren't you know that you're not like contractually obligated to do, the person would you know, the union person would blow the whistle, immediate strike, the entire assembly line goes down, and you know it turns out you actually can run a completely functional like economy like this. But the kind of the mentality of the people who own who own businesses right now is that you should never at any point, like you know, you should never at any point let your workers do anything at all. You should immediately fight them at the moment they try to unionize and I think you know, having a president of like you know, of of being able to get this kind of stuff without immediately having to launch like you know, like I immediately kick off a series of stricture with your employer. Is is a good one? Is a good one to set.
Speaker 10: That we have so many people that are super interested in like being a part of this organizing effort because because we all like being there, like is I think is huge in comparison to like lots of stories that we hear about and yeah, really wanting to like bring that to the restaurant industry because yeah, that's unions are you know, criminally under recognized within service work. Yeah, and arguably an industry that needs it the most.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 8: Well, and that's the other exciting thing about this shop is that you know, you're talking about sort of like they're not being enough service organizing with it with the IWW. And that's true of like basically all unions because and especially shops at your scale, because you know, a lot of these unions are using like a very kind of crude cross cost benefit analysis and their their assessment is like, well, why should we bother to organize like this shop that has thirty five people at it, because you know, this is going to like where we're like the amount of dues money we're going to get out of it is like not you know, is not is not worth the effort. But on the other hand, you know, like do you know how many workers there are, like how many of these like how many of these tiny shops across the there are across the entire country that if you know, and if everyone just refuses to organize them, then you're leaving like tens of millions of workers just sort of like screwed.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I can't speak for all IWW, but I know, like talking with like the Portland branch, it definitely mirrors our shop and at like how queer and leftist it is. And is that surprising that they're working with the IWW or with the Coalition of Independent Unions which is a Pacific Northwest like union for unions kind of thing. It's not surprising that like our values are aligned and it's like making making for something like really fun and like you know, setting a new kind of industry standard for service industry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, unfortunately, speaking of industry standards, I have to go to an ad break. It's in my contract somewhere, probably, though I don't think my employers have read my contract in a long time. But you know, such are the dictates of a podcast that you're that your senior bosses don't listen to. Yeah, we will return in however long the ads are and we are back, so.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 11: Another thing that I kind of wanted to talk about is what has it sort of been like in terms of like, you know, so like, how has you know, in a shop that's like this small, how has the sort of like organizing conversations gone right, Like is everyone just sort of close enough that you know, you were able to kind of do this organically, or was there still sort of a like mapping process for all of the shops or.
Speaker 9: Well, luckily it has gone pretty smoothly. But we were advised early on to create an interest map where we go through the list of every coworker that we have and talk about like how well do we know them? Do we think they would be down? Like, well, this person would obviously be down. This person, I guess we'll just have to talk to them and see and apart from a few cases, it has been very successful and easy so far. It's really lucky that almost all of our coworkers are comrades.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think like our first like conversation was I think about ten people at like a bar close to like the main Hawthorn shop, and like once we had like that get together. Yeah, it really became about like, you know, how do we get our satellite locations, you know, on this on the same page, you know, with like a super majority at one shop, you know, then just moving on to you know our little you know, the Pioneer food cart and then our Commissary kitchen and then the Mississippi location. That was just you know, hiring a whole new staff for and you know, getting them in, you know, collecting them into the fold. And yeah, iww was very helpful and like how to like kind of create those processes to like ensure that you know, we were approaching people in the right way. And yeah, have it getting a proper headcount?
Speaker 8: Yeah that can be a disaster. Yeah, oh god, Like my union, we're still trying to hash out whether some people are in the union or not, and like people will leave the company. Then this happens all the time, right, Like one of the things you discovered really quickly when you need a union organizing is that your like management doesn't actually know how anything works, or like even who's working for them and what they do. They have absolutely no idea, and so you have to do their job and figure out what everyone does.
Speaker 10: What management would be so mad at you for saying blasphemy.
Speaker 8: You know, look if they if they did, if they didn't want me to talk negatively about they should pay me more. They simply do not pay any of us enough. That's not the universal from time to time. Yeah, yeah, but I think that you know what's interesting about this shop too, is it really seems like y'all just sort of speed ran doing a good campaign, Like you're doing all of the things that you gif of good organizers. But then you know, every once in a while you just get a shop where it's just kind of everything just clicks and goes.
Speaker 9: It has been five months start to finish, which I feel like is significantly faster than most. Yeah, most of that is just down to that there aren't very many of us, and so talking to everyone hasn't been that crazy of an endeavor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but.
Speaker 9: I think probably in the first meeting or two, we just crunch the numbers and realized, Okay, we're not going to have any trouble having a majority, but we have to. And so the focus of our work went into making sure we do it right, and learning to inoculate people and talk to people we haven't talked to yet and people for whom it would be a little more sensitive or more like in depth conversation, and educating ourselves on what starting a union actually looks like. And i WW has been very helpful providing these little trainings that I've been able to go to. It's funny is that they're on Sunday afternoons, and so I'm pretty sure I'm the only person at our brunch restaurant who doesn't work Sunday afternoons, so I've been going to those.
Speaker 8: But yeah, this is something that like, I don't know, I feel like it should be a thing that so I was at this will I guess we'll have come out after the Labor Dights episode that I'm doing. But something that I feel like I don't hear much discussion of in union organizing that I feel like there should be is like fighting management on scheduling and like trying to fight for you know, people actually a having consistent schedules and b not just having like I don't know, Like I know a lot of people who find out their schedule on Facebook, like four hours before they have to go in, right, Like, that's insane. That is that is not a way for industrial process to function.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 10: No, thankfully that has not been one of our issues at least at least not systemically at Ridick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but but it does make it hard to do intro organizational trainings because it's like everyone has weird scheduling stuff going on, so it's it's hard to like, I don't know, I feel like it's it's an underrated barrier to getting a lot of people from different unions to work together. Is that no one is ever off at the same time.
Speaker 9: That's real.
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, I know it's been it weird. I think they're a huge aspect of our success I think is that we have been able to like I think the unique part about the breakfast Place is that it's not open from you know, am to PM. It's not open from ten am to eleven pm, like like a restaurant could potentially be open. We are open for breakfast. We're done at too on the weekdays and adding in a standing union meeting at four pm once a week was very easy to add to everybody's schedule, I think, I think and the nature of the breakfast place led to that working very very easily.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and our coworkers that maybe need a little more persuasion that like, hey, no, don't worry this is this is really happening, and you can be a part of it, even if you know that their pro union. Kind of getting the ball rolling with people sometimes takes a meeting or two and being able to have the peer pressure of like, hey, we're going into a meeting right now. I know you're not doing anything after this, and I'll give you a ride helps a lot because then they go to their meeting and they're like, wow, that was awesome. I never knew I could take control of my life in any way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that rules. There really is nothing like just being in a place with a bunch of people who all are trying to like actually do the thing, like you know, I mean, I think this is why you know, like as we're recording this, like a bunch of campus occupations are going right, and I mean, I don't know, God, hopefully by the time this comes out, they won't have all died horribly because this is getting recorded on what day is it that April twenty eighth, so this is being released into like hell world. But yeah, you know, I mean, I think one of one of the aspects of of of those camps is that like just there with a bunch of people who you get to talk to and organize with. And it turns out that actually being there face to face with a bunch of people is just great. And that's that's the thing. That's the thing. You can also like that you knows, as much as like union work can just can be work, right, it can be you sitting in front of a spreadsheet and going, oh my god, what this person responds like it's also I don't know, it's it's also like it could be really great and I don't know, you should you, dear listeners should experience it because it rules.
Speaker 9: I couldn't recommend it more. It is the best feeling in the world and soul and I are addicted to it to feel like you're actually doing anything real. Hell, yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 10: That's yeah. Something we heard from IW or IWW friends is that like this, like, especially with how early in the process we are like how exciting that is to like skitter everybody but everybody in a room and I feel like we're all working towards the same thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that.
Speaker 10: You do get addicted to it. And that's often where the union organizers came from, was like starting their own and they're like, oh, I need to keep doing this.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think I think that's a pretty good doe to end on, unless you do have anything else that you want to make sure we get you first.
Speaker 10: Yeah, with like how early in the process we are after this comes out, like we will have like dropped our authorization cards and like actually started like the formal process. Like we're still pretty early on, but we already have a fundraiser setup with like a local beer bar. We're at Workers Sat. Hell Yeah, and that's super exciting. And we're building our socials and probably have a go fundme for strike fundraiser. So yeah, early days, but very exciting, very purposeful days.
Speaker 9: It's gonna be a big week.
Speaker 8: Hell yeah. Yeah. Where where can people go to find the union and go to support you all?
Speaker 9: Well, our socials are not live.
Speaker 8: Yet, but all right, so yeah, this is this, this is being recorded before things go live. We will we will have the links down there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we I think we're settling on the tag the user name fried egg w U, which we are saying foo woo about because you know, you gotta you gotta, you gotta make you gotta.
Speaker 5: Make this fun. But yes, we will be. Yeah, we will be sharing that with you.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you knew because I wasn't sure if if we had a handle agreed upon yet. Yeah, well find us on the socials fried egg.
Speaker 10: W U with it being early days and like us not even being public yet. I've built those accounts, but they're not like not ready to go. So there's that, like we're in this dead zone period where we've built the infrastructure for a proper you know, the proper election, even though we are very hopeful that our owner will recognize us with you know, the majority that we have. But yeah, we're our zero day is May Day, a couple of days from now, and we are very excited for that very much.
Speaker 8: So hell yeah, hopefully it goes well. It will be in the past by time this comes out, But good luck to both of you, and thank you both so much for coming on now.
Speaker 9: The pleasure belongs to us. We're both fans than for having us on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and yeah does this has been naked happen here? You too can go experience the joys of organizing your workplace. So go go do that or go to a student occupation, do both.
Speaker 5: I don't know. There's a lot going on that.
Speaker 8: There are many places for you to experience the shory of organizing with other people, so go go do that. And yeah, you can find us in the usual places.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Sophie will probably be on it in about one second. This ad pivot not whatever this is got completely off the rails.
Speaker 10: I have not had it off sleep, no sleep for organizing.
Speaker 5: Welcome, take it happen here. I'm Andrew Sage of the YouTube channel andrasm and I'm here with James.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's me and andre again.
Speaker 5: Yes, once again. So I recently dropped a video on states, or more pointedly, a video that's sorts of define the state and its functions, synthesize its critique by anarchists, and basically understand the ways that states feel both society and nature. So we can let goose states, inevitabilit and think outside of it to realize the freedom and power of all the people most people aren't anarchists, unfortunately, but I've noticed that generally speaking, some folks are more receptive to anarchist ideas and others just seem to shut down without engaging with it earnestly or meaningfully. You get a mix of those reactions in my comments, so overwhelmingly toward the receptive side, because I mean, that's the kind of intellectual curiosity I tried to attract my space, But the more hostile reactions had me thinking about a book that I read many years ago and their video on years after that was called The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer. So once take another look at the ideas in that book, because even though Ultimid doesn't land in any truly radical conclusions, his scholarship, in my opinion, gets us closer to understanding the psychology of both authoritarian followers and authoritarian leaders. Also rest in Peace. I found that he died when I was preparing this, just this year in February, but that aside. We'll be talking about the former first, and that is what's up with authoritarian followers. Let's get into it first. We need some context. So in the wake of World War two, social scientists sought an explanation for the evils perpetuated by the Nazi government during the war. Theodore W. A'dno Els, Frankel Brunswick, Daniel Levinson, and Nevitt Sandford published The Authoritarian Personality in nineteen fifty, proposing a personality type for the fascist follower ranked on an F scale. They particularly concentrated on prejudice within the psychoanalytic and psychosocial frameworks of Freudian and Fromian theories. Their work was highly critiqued, but it was also highly influential in laying the groundwork for our understanding of authoritarian personalities. In the aftermath of Adorno and Company's book, social scientists will continue to tweak, develop and expand our understanding of authoritarian psychology. Most notably, the concept will be refined by Bob Altemeyer, a Canadian American psychology professor, proposed the right wing authoritarian personality in nineteen eighty one. After numerous studies, Altimyer presented his findings in his free book The Authoritarians in two thousand and six. I had to clarify, though right wing here is not being used in the context of the political spectrum, which is a concept thats to n scrutiny. In this context, Ultimaya uses the word right in the sense of the old English writ an adjective for lawful and proper. Aultimia defines authoritarianism as quote, something authoritarian followers and authoritarian leaders cook up between themselves. It happens when the followers submit too much to the leaders, trust them too much, and get them too much leeway to do whatever they want, which often is something undemocratic, tyrannical, and brutal unquote. I find this definition of authoritarianism lacking, but a monarchist so of course I would to me, if authority is defined as the record is right above others in a social relationship to give commands, make decisions, and enforce obedience, then I would define authoritarianism as a matter of degree to which you uphold the principle of authority. I think many people are at least authoritarian light because that's the status go unfortunately. But more specifically, I think the people we call authoritarians are those which are especially invested in the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of freedom and plurality. So right, being authoritarian followers or RWAs are those which overwhelmingly support the established authorities in their society, like government officials, arms of the state, and traditional religious leaders. In North America and elsewhere, r was tend to be or other. I should say high r WA is because the RWA thing is a scale, but the high art ws tend to be political conservatives. However, that doesn't mean the authority and personality is exclusive to conservatives, no, as exclusive to North America, but the scale is definitely tailored to a North American and English speaking audience, lendin to its documented issues that translate into other regions, But with effort, I could definitely see it being adapted to other cultural contexts as well. And as also my argues, the concept of the right wing authoritarian could equally apply to society with the established authorities claimed to be represent in the left. So what defines the right wing authority and personality? Psychologically speaking? They feature three primary traits or attitudes. For one, a high degree of submission to authorities were perceived to be established and legitimate in the society in which one lives. Two, a general aggressiveness directed against various persons that is perceived to be sanctioned by established authorities, and three a high degree of adherence to the social conventions that are perceived to be endorsed by society and its establish authorities. These traits are measured with the Right Wing Authoritarianism Scale or RWA scale for short. It's readily accessible online, so I'm not going to go through the entire scale point by point, but basically includes a mixed series of statements that folks can indicate their level of agreement or disagreement with. Statements like our country will be great if we on other ways of our forefathers, do the authorities tell us to do and get rid of the rotten apples who are ruining everything, or what our country really needs is a strong, de tillman leader who will crush evil and take us back to our true path. And just to mix things up. A woman's place should be wherever she wants to be. The days when women were submissive to their husbands and social conventions belong strictly in the past. As you could imagine, the degree to which you agree or disagree with these statements would place you somewhere along the scale. The lowest total possible score and ultimized version of the test would be twenty and the highest one hundred and eighty, but most people low hit either extreme. A sample of one thousand Americans in two thousand and five found that the average score was ninety. Technically speaking, high RWAs are just people who score higher than the average population, so it's really a relative to Also another disclaimer, in the context of psychological studies, personality tests can definitely make mistakes about individuals, so it's not a diagnostic tool for individuals to determine if they make a good storm trooper. However, the scale can reliably identify levels of authoritarianism in groups. Also, keep in mind that stuff like the interpretation of wording and fore knowledge of what the test is trying to measure can definitely influence results. Still, this tool has been used for most of Altimayer's research and authoritarianism, so it's good to be familiar with it. So now you may be wondering how well does the RWA skills measurement of submission, aggression, and conventionalism map onto people's reality. So for submission, higher RWAs tend to believe that people should submit authority in almost all circumstances, so they put a lot of trust in the law and the authorities. Maybe not all authorities and every single circumstance, but they definitely bought into the concept itself. They're the types who trusted Nixon during and even after the Watergate crisis, likely the ones in Germany in nineteen forty five who refused to believe that Hitler was responsible for the Holocaust, the type to rapidly support anti terrorist initiatives, no matter how invasive. Throughout his research, Altimhere found that high ars are far more likely to tolerate police burglaries, drug rades without warrants, police crackdowns on peaceful protests, subversion via Ajan's provocateurs, and so on, as far as they're concerned, Father knows best. Their favorite authorities are above the law, But like I said, they don't always submit. Their blind support can be trumped by other concerns, but most times they're not big fans of holding officials accountable for their actions. They really don't care if a cop kill someone in broad daylight or someone drives through a crowd of protesters on the street. In terms of aggression, higher w is aggress when they believe right and might on their side. Right meaning their hostility is authority approved might meaning they have a physical, tactical, or numerical advantage over their target. They don't fight far, and just like they go easy on authorities who commit crimes, they go easy on anyone who attacks people they're prejudiced against. But they definitely don't go easy on the people they hate. They seek to sentence criminals to longer terms than average, and as some of the loudest supporters of capital punishment. And if they hate one group, bet your bottom dollar they probably hate other groups too. You could call them equal opportunity bigots. Chances are if they hate immigrants or trans people, those are not going to be the only targets of their ire. Their pressures has more to do with their own personality than their targets actual attributes. Still, they don't always aggress when they think the proper authorities approve, just that they don't always submit. They are always more factors that play in any given situation, including a fear of counter aggression or consequences that may hold their hostilities. Regarding conventionalism, higher ws believe that everyone should live by the norms that their authorities have decreed. Whilst like culturalism, plurality, diversity. Those things clash with what they consider correct and what they consider wrong. They usually get their ideas from fundamentalists religions, so you'll find that higher WA's are strong advocates for the traditional family structure, with patriarchal husbands, submissive wives, and obedient children. They're also far more likely to support their governments patriotic version of various historical narratives. Most interestingly, their conventionalism even influences their response to the high r W test itself. If they were totally average response for a statement on the test, they were far more likely to adjust their answers to the mean than most. When asked what they would like their own RWA score to be, low rbs said they would like to be low rw's, middle or w is said they'd like to be lower w's, but higher ws said they want to be middles, not lows or highs. Why because they tend to rank being normal very highly in values tests. Also, just because they want to be normal, let's mean they don't want to be richer or smarter than others. Not doesn't mean they're necessarily going to drop their prejudices. They may get tugged slightly, like with there's somewhat decrease in prejudice against gay people after the legalization of gay marriage. But their normal is often a measure of what's normal in their in group. So if it's still normal in their in group to be violently homophobic, more than likely they will still be violently homophobic.
Speaker 4: Their conformity is the value rather than specific bigotry or what have you. Yeah, talking of conformed Andrew, we have to conform to the needs of sponsors of this show right now, and we're back.
Speaker 5: Yes, so, Alse my husband lightly critiqued for rendering r W as the dominant psychological account of authoritarianism. Of course, it makes sense that has been the focus, considering the study of authoritarian personality was born out of post World War two studies of fascists. Right wing authoritarians often fever established absolutist forms of government and weaponize that presently dominate in hierarchy to facilitate said absolutism. But there are authoritarians who also favor absolutist forms of government with slight differences, believe n that the presently dominated in hierarchy should be overthrown and replaced with their own. These have potentially been called left wing authoritarians, even though the right and right wing authoritarians didn't have anything to do with the political spectrum. Let's keep pushing. In chapter nine of The Authoritarian Inspector, Altemeyer conceptualizes left wing authoritarianism or LWA as also composed of submission, aggression, and conventionalism, so essentially LWA is a subcategory of RWAs. He's also quick to point out not all leftists are LAS, but as he describes them, l WA's are revolutionaries who one submit to movement leaders who must be obeyed aka submission, two have enemies who must be ruined from capitalists to counter revolutionaries aka aggression, and three have rules and party discipline that must be followed aka conventionalism. In essence, authoritarianism is psychological. R WAS support the established authorities, LAS oppose them in favor of their own, but the underlying positional core is still authoritarianism. But the focus is on AR debays in general here concerning these traits submission, aggression, and conventionalism, it's clear that people with right wing and thworitaring and personalities are rather dangerous. They find it easier to bully harass, punish, name, torture, eliminate, and exterminate their victims than most people do. They're more willing to join mobs and militias, more likely to blame victims for their misfortune, and more likely to condemn common criminals to long brutal sentences in jail. They seem to have a lot of hostility boiling away inside them that their authorities can easily unleash. So we have to ask what causes this? Why are they like this? According to Albert Bandura's social learning theory of aggression, aggression occurs after two conditions are met. Firstly, some feelings like anger or envy lead us to a hostility. Secondly, inhibitions or content actual restraints against release in that hostility would have to be overcome. Only then can the aggression erupt and flow. So let's discuss the instigator and releaser of authoritarian aggression. High days are highly motivated by fear, like they have an extra dose of fair response in their genes more than most people. They probably learn to be fearful from their parents about all kinds of things. You know, radicals, atheists, kidnappers, queer people, et cetera, et cetera. They grew up in a scarier world than most, which is probably why they tend to score so highly on the Dangerous World Scale. That scale, like previous scales, provides statements and measures levels of agreement or disagreement with stuff like quote, If our society keeps degenerating the way it has been lately, it's liable to collapse like a rotten dog, and everything will be chaos and quote any day now, chaos and anarchy could erupt around us. All the signs are pointed to it, and cou everything to them is a sign of the times, a perversion corrupt in society in peaceful times and in generally dangerous ones. Higher ways feel threatened. But what releases that aggressive impulse to act? Also, I have found, more than anything else self righteousness. Of course, almost everyone thinks they're a bit more moral than average, but higher ways they tend to think they're the holy ones, the chosen, the righteous. That empowers them to isolate, segregate, humiliate, persecute, harass, beat, and kill. That self righteousness, combined with their high scores on the Dangerous World scale, is what empowers their prejudice, their heavy handedness, their means spiritedness and their eagerness to crusade against the other. So how do highs become higher WA's? Are they born that way? Possibly? Do their parents make them that way somewhat but not completely? See no one as a complete carbon copy of their parents. So what determines a person's position on the art of experience? Our life experiences teach us lessons that our parents and payers may not, or experiences with authorities shape or perception of authority. Especially when someone hits adolescens, they tend to chafe against authority, even if they submitted to authority as children, those hormonal urges, desires for austronomy, and new experiences could shake up their early lessons completely. Experiences could either end up reinforcing the authorities teachings or contradicting them entirely. Naturally, it's easier for kids from authoritarian homes to remain authoritarian and vice versa. But ultimately experiences do most of the shape middle or ways have some mix of experiences and upbringing that keep them in the middle. When it comes to higher was, their experiences were probably very controlled. Authoritarian followers usually live in a homogeneous bubble of patriotic, traditional people an echo chamber apart from the evils of the world, safely kept on a short leash for most of their lives. But I just hope yet. Automid's research has shown that higher ws can change if they have some important life experiences. That's why university can be such a game change of people. It's just meeting new people, leaving that small, enclosed world and developing relationships with people of different walks of life, and that makes a big difference. There are a couple of traits that make higher ws such good followers for would be dictators. In short, those traits are illogical thinking, highly compartmentalized minds, double standards, hypocrisy, a lack of self awareness, ethnocentrism, dogmatism. In long well, consider syllogism. All fish live in the sea. Sharks live in the sea, therefore sharks are fish. Logically speaking, the conclusion doesn't follow. Even if sharks are fish, and they are the premises don't support the conclusion. But if higher WA's were asked if the reasoning was correct, they were more likely than most to say that it was. When asked why they'd answer because sharks are fish. In essence, because they agreed with the conclusion, they assumed the reasoning was right. That simple test shows that if authority and followers like the conclusion, the logic involved is fairly irrelevant. Reasoning is what should justify the conclusion, but as far as they're concerned, the conclusion valuates the reasoning. Of course, let me not overstate a lot of people have trouble with so logistic reasoning. Higher w has just happen to be slightly more likely to make such mistakes, but higher de wus generally have more trouble than most people do realize in a conclusion as faults, they have a harder time determine whether empirical evidence proves or doesn't prove something. They more easily fill gaps in science with supernatural forces, and they have trouble being critical of anything unless they've already gotten their talking points from their authorities. Regarding the highly compartmentalized minds, I mean, we all have some inconsistencies not thinking, but their minds as be like oil and water. One second they say in free speech, next they say in ban critical race theory. One moment they're talking about individual freedom, and next their basically throat in the boots of the state. They don't merge files in their brain to really see what fits. They sense to just pick up whatever their demogogues are saying. And if your mind is such a mess of contradiction, so you're going to end up a lot of double standards easily justify by whatever idea you hold it's most convenient in the moment. Principles are really irrelevant. Keep in mind the excuses they make for those in power and how hard they are in victims. Classic example is the difference between how they treat a prisoner who beats up another prisoner versus a police officer who beats up a prisoner. Low d was usually don't have such stark double standards when it comes to hypocrisy. I'm going to keep you using this example because you know it's still somewhat topical critical race theory. As much as authoritarians accuse the left of being anti free speech, politically correct types, rda WA is a far more likely to report a desire to censor ideas they don't like. This is also because they tend to lack basic self awareness. If presented with a list of things, right wing authoritarians are likely to do like be prejudiced, conformist, et cetera, and then ask how true it is of themselves compared to most other people. They really have no idea how different they actually are, and that's actually because of the bubble they tend to exist in us visus them is a very hard line in the sand for authoritarians. Humans as a whole do have a tendency sometimes to fall into tribal patterns of thinking, but authoritarians see the world far more sharply in terms of their in groups and our groups. And most we do tend to associate with people who agree with us in many issues. But authoritarians really do stick to their bubble of validation and ethnocentric reinforcement. That's why they don't realize how pressureous, or aggressive or submissive they are to compare to most people. By avoiding challenges to their beliefs and holding faster their authorities, they remain stuck in a secular logic of I'm right because the people I agree with say I'm right. Finally, in terms of dogmatism, higher ws holds to unchangeable, unjustified certainty, righteousness beyond a shadow of a doubt. They're more likely than most people to agree with statements like the things I believe in are so completely true, I could never doubt them, and there are no discoveries or facts that could possibly make me change my mind about the things that matter most in life. I am absolutely certain the ideas about the fundamental issues in life are correct. Meanwhile, they're more likely than most people to disagree with statements like it's best to be open to all possibilities and ready to re evaluate all your beliefs. And flexibility is a real virtue in thinking, since you may very well be wrong when you receive or absorb, rather than contemplate, your beliefs, you have no basis upon which sho determine whether or not they're true. So you avoid challenges by staying in the bubble as much as possible. When that can be avoided, threatton out whatever talking points you got from wherever, and if that dialogue tree fails, you can always fall back in your group's assurance that you are right. I could challenge your beliefs, or you could insist your right and retreat. What option do you think high it will be a sentage use Yeah, the double down exactly. Talkingtism is by far the best fall back defense, but it's also the most blatant, that giveaway that the person doesn't know why they believe what they believe. Alas hired w is only one side of the authoritarian coin, then nothing without their leaders. So next time we'll be talking about those leaders, those social dominators. Until then, all power to all the people. This, yes, welcome to it could happen here. I'm Andrew Sage of the YouTube channel Andrewism. Once again, I'm joined by.
Speaker 4: Jane and we go back in and I'm excited to learn more about authoritarian leaders this time right.
Speaker 5: Yes, last time we discussed the mind of the authoritarian follower thanks to the research of the late Bob Altemeier. You should definitely listen to the previous episode. But in summary, we looked at this concept of right wing authoritarianism, which refers to a personality type that features three primary traits or attitudes. First is a high degree of submission to authorities who are perceived to be established and legitimate in the societies in which one lives. The second is a general aggressiveness directed against various persons. It is perceived to be sanctioned by established authorities and the third is a high degree of adherence to the social conventions that are perceived to be endorsed by society and its established authorities. We also speculated the roots of authoritarian aggression and looked at the mind of the authoritarian follower, which demonstrates straits such as illogical thinking, highly compartmentalized minds, double standards, hypocrisy, and lack of self awareness, ethnic centrism, and dogmatism. Today, as promised, we're looking at the other side of the coin. We're looking at the leaders, but also what we can do to address both followers and leaders. So let's begin. In nineteen ninety four, social psychologists Fleescher Prattu and Jim Sedanias presented the social dominance orientation test as a measure of belief in social inequality. Social dominators agreed with statements like code, this country would be better off if we cared less about how equal all people are and code some people are just more worthy than others. While disagreeing with statements like code, if people were treated more equally, we would have fewer problems in this country. Fellow social psychologist Sam McFarland took their test and twenty one others, including the Art of Way scale to determine which would be the best predictor of prejudice. His research found that only two of those tests, the social dominant orientation and the Art of Way, could do the job well. But the thing is, though, while both tests were able to identify prejudiced people, they will identifying different types of prejudice people with very little overlap. Social dominators and high art double ways authoritarians of two flavors. They have some things in common though, besides prejudice. They tend to support the same political parties. They tend to have shared economic philosophies, usually conservative on both counts, but they also have some huge differences, starting with a desire for power also why I conducted two surveys with students that included the question how much power as in the ability to make adults do what you want? Do you want to have when you're forty years old? In this sense, automayer is using power in the sense of authority as I would define it. They recognized right above others in a social relationship to give commands, make decisions, and enforce obedience. So the scale went from zero meaning they don't care for it, to me and their goal is to have a great deal of authority. Social dominators consistently wanted to have much more power than most people did authority and followers did not. Now, obviously, people often want authority for different reasons, some more self righteous than others. But social dominators take thrill in authority in and of itself. Doesn't matter what the cause is, as long as they can control others in the process. There's another scale out to my users, the power Mad scale. On it, social dominators agree with statements like a mistake to interfere with the law of the jungle, some people were meant to dominate others, and do you enjoy taking charge of things and making people do things your way? They also disagree with statements like life is not governed by the survival of the fittest and we should let compassion and moral lawers be your guide. Social dominators are some of the highest scores on this scale, and high scorers tend to be intimidated, ruthless, and vengeful, with no care for nobility or charity. They despise empathy and have a dog eat dog mentality toward the world. They love the power to hurt in their drive to the top. High ruays just don't have that drive. And while authoritarian followers might highly value group cohesiveness and loyalty, social dominators don't because, like I keep saying, they're in it for themselves, for their power, and they will betray their own group if push comes to shove. Another area where social dominators and higher deg way is diverge is when it comes to religiousness. Authoritarian followers are usually religious fundamentalists, while dominators don't tend to be that involved. Some of them do go to church regularly, but that's for manipulative reasons because social dominators could lie. They lie a lot. All they have to do is pretend to be religious and say the right words, and boom they get through. The higher was reminds me of a certain politician.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to say this is put in the mind of like Donald Trump tay getting a massive crowd of people so he can walk to a church and then take photos outside and not go in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good times. There's another scale we could take a look at, and that's the exploitative, manipulative, immoral dishonesty, or exploitative mad scale. Unlike higher w's social dominators, anonymous responses indicate that they agree with statements like there's really no such thing as right and wrong. It all boils down to what you can get away with, and there's a sucker bone every minute, and smart people don how to take advantage of them. Social dominators disagree with statements like it gains a person nothing if he uses deceit and treachery to get power and riches, and all in all, it's better to be humble and honest than important and dishonest. In essence, social dominators admit to strive and to manipulate, to be in dishonest, to be an immoral and treacherous. They see their followers as suckers, fools to be controlled. What else makes them different? Well, I could go back to the roots of hostility. Social dominators actually show greater prejudice against minorities and women than hired was do, but their followers are much more hostile towards LGBTQ people. Why Well, it ties back to the religiousness point and the hired wa respect for the law. Since attacks against minorities are less clearly supported by religious and civic authorities as they used to be. Authoritarian follower aggression towards these groups both overt or sneaky how to be curved a little bit. Meanwhile, social dominators are hostile because they already live in the apocalyptic jungle that hired WA is fair, and they are the epect predator. They don't score highly in the dangerous world scale because they're not scared. They're the ones ready to weaponize that fear. Dominance is their first priority for everyone they meet, they need a reason to not try to control them. They don't care too much about the law either. It's just about not getting caught. They're not as self righteous as higher w is because they're quite immoral, and higher ws aggress when they believe right and might on their side. Social dominators aggress because might makes right for them personally. Higher W is heat crimemount of fair and self righteousness in the name of authority. Social dominators hate crime ount or share desire to intimidate and control. Lastly, we need to look at the differences in their thought process. Social dominators, for the most part, don't have a web of contradictions, weak reason and skills, compartmentalized thinking, or gullibility that define higher w's mental life. They're not particularly dogmatic or zealous about any particular cause or creed. They just want authority. They say whatever they need to say to get ahead. Because they have no consistent values, they'll be hypocrites like hard wa Is, but they're probably aware of and find their own hypocrisy. For example, they're cool with wealth, inheritance and corruption. They're opposed to welfare. They're unconcerned with income inequality or photo disenfranchisement. They're apathetic to racial inequality and injustice. They believe that people should have to earn their place in society, and they don't care if most of them can't. They still talk about how the only way to have a level play and field is to get rid of things like affirmative action. And part of what defines social dominators is their utter disregard for equality. So we have to ask again what causes this? Why are they like this? And well, social scientists just are show Yet if we look at the life shape and experiences or social dominators, they would probably report the deceit and cheating were good tactics because it led to what they wanted. Taking advantage of suckers felt great. They enjoyed having power and having people afraid of them. Life boiled down to what you could get away with, and of course the experiences led them to believe that life is a jungle. Dominators were probably rewarded early in their lives when they cheated, took advantage of people, weaponized fear, overpowered others, or got away with something wrong. Whether or not their parents gave them that outlook on the world. Because of the psychological law of effect, they simply learn into the Being amoral, unsympathetic, and exploitative worked well for them. So what happens when higher was and social dominators worked together. In this field of research, the lethal union refers to the combination of happily subservient hired ws with social dominators who share their values in the drivers, eager to dominate and control, a death spiral union that develops all the time in the real world. As Altamaya aptly described, quote true, sufficiently skilled social dominators served by dedicated followers can make the trains run in time, but you have to worry about what the trains may be haulin' when dominators call the shots and the hirer was do the shooting end quote. While most social dominators get fairly low scores on RA tests and vice versa, a, very very small percentage of people in ultimiya samples scored highly on both r A and social dominance tests. These other double highs. If prejudice was as sports in the Olympics, hird WA's we get bronze, social dominators we get silver, and double Highs would definitely get gold. Now you might be wondering how do they manage to score so highly on both tests? Social dominators and highways have so many differences. How can there would be a submissive dominator? So there are a couple of reasons why want to be dictator with score highly on both tests. One is because some WA scale statements are open to interpretation. Take the statement code our country desperately needs a mighty leader who will do what has to be done to destroy the radical new ways and sinfulness that are ruining us, and code follow ull be like yes please, and a dominator will be like here I am behold, I'm your leader. Double Highs still score highly on all the power scales, like other social dominators and unlike other higher ways. Secondly, double Highs are the religious among the social dominators, so they respond to this religious items on the r WA scale that other social dominators don't, thereby significantly raising their art wa IS score. I don't think I need to go into too much detail. I feel like I should be absolutely clear. The double highs suck. Whatever the su they probably are on the wrong side of it, the worst of the worst, prejudiced, power hungry, exploitaive, mad, religiously fundamentalist, dogmatic, dangerous, worldest a noxious stew of the worst of all social dominators and hired was. Regular social dominators might end up in charge of pts, howays, workplaces, local governments, and other personal kingdoms. Not all of them succeed in life due to the animosity they create, the obstacles they might face, or their lack of intelligence, attractiveness, or network to gain the kind of power they want. And some of them might even get caught in their lives and i legalities and don't have the capital to get out of it. They see double highs, they tend to have a head start will Regular social dominators have to fake their religiousness to get the support of hired was. Double highs can more easily get started in their own churches, already part of the in group, sharing their prejudices, economic philosophies, and political leanents, even if they are faking it a little bit. A double high already knows all the code words, dog whistles and Bible verses. They need to get ahead if they know what stands they should hold about evolution, the role of women, abortion, school prayers, censorship, law and order, et cetera, et cetera. Double highs run the show you dig?
Speaker 9: Yeah for sure?
Speaker 5: So now what? Knowing that social dominators do whatever they can to hold on to power, and higher W is extremely resistant to change, how do we deal with a situation where social change requires dealing with these people? I mean, they can't debate them. Even if you were to intellectually wrestle with a double high leader and utterly destroy them with facts and logic, their higher W audience is not likely to change their minds. Trying to change highly dogmatic, evidence immune ethnocentric people is an exercise in frustration and futility. It's also hard to fight the share fair mongerant power of the likes of Fox News and Facebook to combat the class and religious roots of ethnocentrism and to reduce the self righteousness of their followers. It's even harder to convince them that they are being systematically misinformed and played for fools by their leaders. Even if they listen to these episodes or watched my videos or read ultimized books, they would either get defensive or honestly, because a lot of them aren't self aware, assume that this is about someone else finding a way to compartmentalize, misinterpret, rationalize, and dogmatically deny anything I've said so far. So what to do? First, and foremost, representation matters. It's important to hire see more of the breath and diversity of human existence and experience. The reality is skewed. The visibility and representation of people from other backgrounds, not just in media, but also in their personal lives is very important. One thing studies have shown is that higher w's who know a Cay person are far less likely to be homophobic than their fellow higher ws. And the best exposures different types of people is through access to higher education, or more broadly, just any space with diversity. College may not necessarily turn them into commit to revolutionaries, contrary to popular belief, but the environment of higher education has a tremendously beneficial impact on higher ws. Four years of undergrad experience can knock their scores down by fifteen to twenty percent. Academic spaces need to be alive, vibrant, and most of all accessible, and we need people in academic and non academic spaces to embrace the power of influence. I don't mean this in a give them an authority and to follow kind of way. I'm not talking about becoming a club president or ordering people around. I'm not thinking about hierarchical leadership, but rather the natural influence of individuals who model exemplary behavior and provide an example for others to look to, people who freely lend their talents and knowledge and mentorship to others. In a conformity experiment, in however, in the late nineteen forties, real subjects were surrounded by actors who deliberately gave obviously wrong answers to questions. Usually, the subjects went along with the wrong majority at least some of the time. But if in another condition of the experiment, one other person gave the right answer, real subjects were much more likely to do the right thing, even though it meant joining a distinct minority rather than the majority. So I'm saying that as the people who hold radical beliefs, it's important to stand up. You know, you don't have to form majority to have an effect. Two or three people speaking out can sometimes change the decisions of entire school boards, church boards, or other institutions. Obviously, reform is not going to be enough, but we do need to present some opposition on that front and that sphere. You know, lack of opposition teaches dominators to keep dominating, and it only takes one person to start the opposition. The domino effects that could potentially influence even higher wis because at the end of the day, it's clear that they want to be quote unquote normal in their bubbles and their echo chambers. They don't really realize how extreme. They are. Then, to be exposed to the perspectives and experiences of people outside their tight circles, Mutual aid and other organized efforts can show them the humanity of other people finding common ground in common course. But ultimately, in my view, the best long term solutions require youth liberation and prefiguration. We need use liberation both at home and at school and everywhere else. As long as we continue to reinforce the notion that children need to blindly submit to authorities, as long as we refuse to grant them humanity and autonomy. We will continue to be without humanity and autonomy. We will continue to have adult generation after generation who do not know how to resist authority. We must prefigure those relationships in our personal lives and our social spaces, or we must prefigure our liberation. It's not enough to just campaign against social dominators. We have to dismantle the systems that allow them to dominate in the first place. The only way to keep social dominators from season power is to prefigure a system where no one person can so easily coerce and dominate. To quote Barb Waltimaya one last time, we cannot secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity if we sit with our oars out of the water. If we drift mind leslie, circumstances can sweep us a disaster. Our societies presently produce millions of highly authoritarian personalities, as a matter of course, enough to stage the Nuremberg rallies over and over and over again. Turn in a blind eye to this put someday point guns at all of our heads, and the fingers on the triggers will belong to right wing authoritarians. We ignore this at our peril. Social dominators want you complacent, apathetic, hopeless and out of the way. They want to control everything and everybody, and they have their loyal followers ready to mobilize. They are not the majority, but they're determined to win. Do not let them. If you know what's happening, if you spot these signs in your own spaces, it's your responsibility to do something about it, to organize, to educate. Because one person could accomplish so much, and two people could accomplish so much more. Good luck, all power to all the people because it could happen here. Can follow me on puture dot com. Stas Saint Drew. This has been Andre sage Araism. It could happen here. All La Jazz.
Speaker 1: Peace, welcome back to it could happen here. A podcast about it happening here. And you know, when we talk about like collapse, things falling apart, there's very few case studies that are more important for folks to be aware of than what has happened and is continuing to happen in Northeast Syria, in a region of the world known as Rojava, or the Autonomous Regions of Northeastyria and I'm here with James Stout. He and I have both reported from the ro Javon Project, and we are talking again with Arthur and Debbie Bookchin about what's going on there now, kind of as as the struggle continues, so to speak.
Speaker 4: That's right, and thank you very much for joining us, Arthurine Debbie, and you're both here in your capacity as representatives of the Emergency Committee for Rajava.
Speaker 13: Right, that's right, and thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for coming back.
Speaker 4: So I think perhaps we should begin by explaining what ECI is and does. I've been very fortunate to be asked to speak at one of your meetings, so I'm familiar, but I think maybe some of our listeners wouldn't be. So could you begin with explaining what it is what it does?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely, So, the Emergency Committee for Is it's kind of the only standing US based organization focused.
Speaker 6: On solidarity with the Rojeva revolution.
Speaker 14: And what we do is we try to build a grassroots solidarity movement with the revolution in North East Syria, with the Kurtis Freedom movement more broadly, and we do that in a few different ways. One is like just trying to inform the public. Right, So, kind of public education. Another is advocacy trying to sort of put pressure on the United States government to stop arming people who are trying to kill everybody in Rogeva and to support the people instead. But another thing that we do is try to build kind of movement to movement relationships, now, like finding social movements in the United States that we think share a lot of affinity with movement over there, try to put them in touch and try to kind of facilitate dialogue.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean, I think it's important to kind of start, as we often do, with the attempt to get the US government to stop arming folks killing the people there, which in this case refers specifically to the Turkish military. I mean, we're all kind of dealing with in a separate part of the world, how difficult it is to stop the United States government from army people.
Speaker 6: Do that, right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's a great point, Robert. You know, I think sometimes it's hard for people to even comprehend just the massive flow of weapons from the United States to Turkey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, over the years, it's.
Speaker 13: Been it's just I think in the last fifteen years alone, the US has sold Turkey something like four billion dollars worth of Patriot missiles alone, you know, and then billions or at least millions, and you know, helicopters, the Cobra attack helicopters. There is just a huge flow of arms from the United States to Turkey, and as Arthur said, you know, one of the things that we really do try and do at ECR is to get people not only aware but also into doing some advocacy on that. And one of the things that we're also trying to prevent right now is the sale of any more F sixteens to Turkey, which, as I'm sure your listeners know, are used in the bombing of people in Rojeva and also in Turkey and in northern Iraq. So that's a very critical issue in fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it's a critical issue in part because like what we're seeing is I would describe it as a pretty concentrated attempt to destroy civil society in Rojeva, right, Like you're not just through the use of air strikes, through things like blocking off access to water, but the F sixteens that Turkey purchases from the United States and the continuing armaments to keep those things flying and firing missiles are a huge part of how they're able to continue degrading the capacity of the self administration to maintain civil society exactly.
Speaker 13: I mean, there is really an aim They're aimed to completely destabilize the society, to shake confidence in the autonomous administration, to break morale, to engage in psychological terror, and frankly, you know, also to do physical harm. As I'm sure you know and your listeners know, they Turkey very effectively uses drones and other methods to take out leadership, particularly female leadership, women who are leaders of the movement. And you know, there's not a day that goes by really that doesn't include strikes from Turkey into Rojeva.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm just thinking.
Speaker 13: You know, the Membij Military Council just has reported in the last couple of days that the State of Turkey has shelled various villages and Membies.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 13: Kurdish neighborhoods in Aleppo are really subjected to continuous embargoes by the Damascus government, but also you know, Turkey intercedes to prevent supplies from getting to these places. So it's really I think there's something like more than two hundred bombings by Turkey in Iraqi Kurdistan even since just the beginning of the year, so it's really ongoing assault.
Speaker 14: No, absolutely, I think you know, for people who are less familiar with it, it's easy to kind of get bogged down in the weeds because all the details they change every day. But I think the bronze strokes are pretty clear and haven't changed for a long time.
Speaker 6: I mean, Turkey sees.
Speaker 14: This revolution rightly so as a threat to its own power, to its own ideology. You know, the idea that local communities would govern themselves pluralistically through autonomy is a direct.
Speaker 6: Threat to the idea of the Turkish state, which is basically a.
Speaker 14: Fascist nation state, and they kind of have a twofold strategy. I think you could see it this way, right, So, like for those who don't know, Turkey has already invade in Northeastiria multiple times. It's invaded Aufrin in twenty eighteen, se Dekanye ta Labiat in twenty nineteen, and it occupies that territory still to this day. But when it's been unable to seize more territory directly, it kind of has this twofold strategy where the other side of the coin is to just do everything possible to make life unlivable, right, So that's where the assassinations come in.
Speaker 6: That's where the sort of.
Speaker 14: Information warfare, blocking of water, sort of economic embargo. The basic idea is just to spread fear, to spread uncertainty into every sphere of life, and, like you said, Robert, to basically attack civil society itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder if you could explain. I think our listeners are maybe familiar with the campaign again and civil society and civilian targets that we saw, like in October November of last year, that I saw some of while I was there. But Turkey's recently launched like a spring offensive, right, which doesn't isn't exclusively unlimited to bombing, but also it contains like I guess, combined arms, you know, infantry bombing. Can you explain what's happening there and what the sort of I think the plan you've sort of very well summed up already, right, which is to make life unlivable for the Kurdish freedom movement. But can you explain what's been happening in the last few weeks for people who haven't caught up.
Speaker 14: So for one, for people to understand the connection in the first place. Right, it's important to understand that, really, wow, there are distinct organizations which are autonomous and are place based within the Kurdish movement. Right, there's their own parties and self defense forces in Syria and in Iraq and other parts of Kurdistan. It's important to see it also as kind of one big Kurtish freedom movement in another sense and an important sense, because Turkey sees it in that light. So for the same reasons, the Turkey wants to crush the revolution in Northeastyria, the Turkey wants to crush the PKK, the Kurdistan Workers Party, right, and the gorillas of the PKK are based in northern Iraq, and time and time again they've tried to sort of dislodge the gorilla forces from the mountains, but it's pretty hard to do. You know, this is NATO's second largest military and they still after decades, have not been able to crush this insurgency.
Speaker 6: And so what we're seeing.
Speaker 14: In recent weeks is not necessarily so novel. I mean, you can again you can get into the weeds about the region of Metina and a particular road that they're trying to seize for logistics on their way to the Mountain of Ghara. But the truth is they're trying to crush the movement where it is and they're seizing an opportunity. There's often like a weather wind for the fighting in the mountains as well, and so when the snow starts to melt in the spring, you start to see an escalation of the fighting in the mountains, which often winds down in the fall. Again, but it's yet to be seen.
Speaker 6: Now this is going to go.
Speaker 14: I mean, y'all have I don't have to tell you right like you've done some recent episodes on technological developments with the movement, and Turkey's been having a really hard time making gains on the ground.
Speaker 13: And also I mean, as I think, as Megan Bodette noted on this podcast recently, you know, the Turkish leader Erdowan tends to take out any insult he feels he suffered, and particularly elections setbacks has happened in the local elections at the end of March on the Kurdish regions everywhere in Turkey, Iraq, Syria, and so we're seeing also crackdowns has happened also for quite some time. But on journalists again sort of cranking up again. It's funny that on World Press Day, which was May third, Kurdish journalist was arrested, you know, strip search, a woman thrown in jail, and this is you know, another sort of wave of politicians being arrested. Just again on Monday, I think thirteen politicians were sentenced to six years plus in jail, in prison. So this sort of policy that seems to show itself every time Airdawan feels a bit threatened is one that we're seeing right now, in part I think as a result of those election defeats that his party suffered.
Speaker 14: Yeah, absolutely, and sinister as it is. Whenever they lose in the mountains, they often hit harder in Northeastyria and vice versa. So it's all just a big kind of ugly game that they're playing.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to get to some more here, but first we've got to take a quick break. We're going to throw to some ads and then we'll come back and continue this discussion. All right, we're back, and I'm trying to get a sense of how the situation is on the ground right now despite the or considering the challenges of the attacks on infrastructure, that have continued to go on, like what are we looking at from a daily life point of view in places like Comichelo.
Speaker 13: Well, you know, one of the things that I think is important to emphasize is just how strong a lot of the civil structures really are even in the face of these attacks by Turkey. And I'm sure Arthur will have something to say about that, and also about maybe some of the sort of the military side of this. But you know, the extraordinary thing about Rojeva is just how deeply engaged they are on the civil level. In our group at the Emergency Committee for Rojeva, we're in contact with a lot of people in civil society and it's I'm always amazed at how many sort of requests we get for, you know, exchanges of information and scholars and they're building the university there to do more and more technical things, you know, whether computers or agricultural sciences or you know, just a vast variety of graduate program they want to do right now in social ecology that I've been working with them on. And so so, even though there's this effort by Turkey to kind of terrorize the civilian population, and I'm sure you know, people can imagine what it must feel like to have drones flying constantly overhead and wondering if you get into a car whether it might you might you know, be the subject of a drone attack. Nonetheless, there is still this extraordinary sort of hopefulness and also energy towards building the society. And for example, one of the things that they recently did, and it took a long time, but they rewrote their Social Contract, which is what we would think of as a constitution, to empower women even more, you know, to empower various ethnic minorities more, and to make it a document that is truly inclusive in terms of how it was written and how it will be implemented, and so on the ground, I think, even though they are suffering in a lot of ways, and they are because you know, Rojaeve is also a region that is subject to terrible environmental dislocations because of global warming, there's still a huge sort of excitement I think about about the fact that they are self governing and the fact that they are empowering women, and those kinds of activities, especially on the part of the women's movement. Congress star just continue to go on. You know, they've built an alternative justice system. They are increasingly turning their sort of economy as much as is feasible, and it's a slow process, but into a more of a cooperative economy. So all of those things are very much underway there. And education is a huge part of that.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, that's that's also true, It really is.
Speaker 14: But just to speak to kind of the other side of that, you know, Robert s sort of what is life like, say.
Speaker 6: In a place like Commushula right now?
Speaker 14: You know, I think in some ways it's a lot like it was when I was in a place called Zirgon, which is another frontline city where at the same time Debbie's describing life goes on, people trying to build up civil society, They're trying to organize the communes and the cooperatives. At the same time, there's a tremendous fear and uncertainty, fear in an immediate sense around these drone strikes. I mean, you guys have been there too, right, Like I've been home I think eleven months now, and I still every time I hear a small airplane, my body just even if my brain knows that it's just a plane, like my body's convinced it's a Turkish drone. And imagine, you know, you live your whole life in a place like that, or you've spent the last ten years, So a lot of people are living in this constant state of fear and uncertainty. Even on a practical level. You know, say you're a farmer and you're going to plant your seats this year, do you know that you're even going to have your land in a month or six months? You know, people are taking Turkey's threat of an Invasionviously, it hasn't happened again since twenty nineteen, but I can tell you I talked to people there almost every day, and they're taking it extremely seriously. So there's kind of this idea of impending invasion sort of hangs like a cloud over daily life in so many ways. And on top of all of that, of course, since I left Northeast Siria, there was this major wave of attacks against civilian infrastructure right around the time you were there last, James, you know, and you can probably speak to it more, but I mean we're talking about power stations and oil wells, and hospitals and schools and food storage facilities, So they're still.
Speaker 6: Really reeling from these infrastructure attacks.
Speaker 13: Cutting off electricity to a million people at a time and water supplies.
Speaker 1: Which is about a third of the population of the region.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you know, war crimes. There's another word for it, that's what they're called.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a very jarring experience, at least in my time there, which is briefer than then the amount of time both of you have spent there to like go out in the daytime and talk to people and see this incredible optimism for like, we are building a different world, and like it's there and you can see it, and we're moving towards it. It's not like, you know, we're building a different world when we have encampments on campus too, but this is a tangible societal product.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and that it speaks to That's why the attacks Turkey is carrying out take the form they're taking, right, because the priority, the primary strength of the self administration is not in its arms. It's in its ability to provide a functional civil society that people are motivated to take part in, which is why their primary weapon is to try to destroy the ability of people to live.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's exact what it feels.
Speaker 4: Like like you know, my experience with a brief. You know, we lost electricity every night. People are not willing or people are less willing to go out and drive long distances after dark. There is very clearly damage to the infrastructure. You know, I was in a couple of different places. One of them was having issues getting getting water pumped. There are massive funerals right for people who have been killed. And you get to see this what is like it's a beautiful spectacle in a sense, but also like, you know, you can't spend a week in Roger were a Nazi, a little baby say goodbye to their dad, or just a dead baby, and that's that's terrible, you know.
Speaker 5: And like the one.
Speaker 4: Thing that I noticed, which I think people might not have picked up on just sort of consuming media, the presence of people hope about martyrs as they call them, right Shahad. It's so it's everywhere. From the first place I stepped foot across the river, you know, there were these portraits, these yellow and green portraits on aroundabout since cities and people's homes. Like the scale of the sacrifice both to build this project and to defeat isis I think is very hot. I mean the United States has been all for most of our lives, but it hasn't nowhere near the same impact on our daily lives it has had there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 13: There's not a family really in Rogeval. When you spend some time there and you meet with different people, there's not a single family that hasn't lost somebody. I mean, it's thirteen thousand people in the fight against ISIS alone and now, and not to mention, for example, the two hundred thousand people who were displaced when Turkey is you know, jihadi malicious invaded Aphrine, the westernmost region. So it's it's absolutely effective bree day life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every time I spend a lot of time volunteering at the border, as people listening know, and every time we meet Kurdish people, often you know they're they're from like northern Kurdistan, which is in Turkey under in control of the Turkish state. I guess even like the volunteers who are not super briefed out shaba, who are just people who want to help. Like everyone knows what it means when people when you talk to people and they have the little green picture or the little little yellow picture on them, Yeah, which is it's a profound part of the lived experience of being part of the Kurdish freedom movement or just existing as a Kurdish person in that area. And that's it's it's really hard to grasp the scale of that.
Speaker 6: No, it's so true.
Speaker 14: I mean, it just makes me think that it's kind of related to this larger sort of spirit of sacrifice that's part of what the movement calls, like a revolutionary personality. You know, in a lot of ways, the families of you know what they call them martyrs, they also see it as their sacrifice, it's their contribution to the movement. And it's it's easy for I think Westerners to kind of, I don't know, dismiss it or get really uncomfortable with it. We're not familiar with that on a cultural level as much. But I think it's it's a mistake to see it that way. I think there's something incredibly profound about it that has to do with the way that people really identify their whole lives, the meaning of their lives with the revolution, with the movement, that that is what that is the purpose of their lives, that's the purpose of the life of their families and come what may. That's something that you know, movements here can't really relate to in the same way.
Speaker 1: Yet, I think, yeah, and I kind of want to talk a little bit more about that. We're gonna We're going to throw one last time to adds and then we'll come back and kind of flesh out this discussion, and we're back talking about like what it means to be part of a revolution as opposed to someone who has revolutionary sympathies, which it's easy to be and we have a lot of those in the United States. I'm going to guess most of the people listening to this show have at least some of those, right, whether or not you think there's any realistic chance of seeing that during your own life, it's a very different thing from being from living it, which people do. You know, about three million of them in Rosheva every day, And the sacrifice is a part of it. The kind of continual conflict is another part of it. Because you know, it's worth emphasizing we're about a decade into the project right now. Right if we consider that being from you know, the start of the self administration in varying fashion, and that's that's not like it's not a perfectly even process, right, because it occurred as part of this series of broader conflicts. But what you've seen is both the retreat of the government that had formerly controlled the area. You've seen a successful war prosecuted against isis you've seen when you could look at as one conflict or kind of a series of conflicts with both these Turkish backed militias and the Turkish military itself, and then this also this continuing conflict both with the environment, you know, just because that that is really that's a force at work here the Cold War, that kind of that's not even really a perfect way of describing the situation with the the Asad regime and with you know, their their backers in their Russian government, but it's a it's a complex, interwoven series of conflict. But kind of the result is just a life of conflict for the people who are are part of this revolution as sort of a just a fact of daily life. And I think that is really hard to grasp.
Speaker 6: I think that's true, and I think there's.
Speaker 14: Part of it, like you say, that has to do with the sort of objective situation where the conditions of people are living in this perpetual conflict that you're talking about, and at the same time, I think there's also an aspect that's more like, I don't know, like subjective, you could call it. It has to do with the kind of movement that they've really actively been building for themselves, and the kind of spirit that their movement has taken on that they've cultivated themselves, sort of painstaking me for years. I mean, I think one of the things that I know, Debbie and I really want to get to in our conversations with the speaking tour that we're working on which is coming up later later this month on the West Coast, is we really, well, we want people to be.
Speaker 6: Inspired by this revolution.
Speaker 14: We really don't want people to just see it as this very like other thing on the other side of the world. You know, even those who are really supportive, especially us, you know anarchistory, say, fellow travelers, we have a tendency to kind of maybe oversimplify or romanticize what's happening over there and think, oh, well, you know, if the state could just collapse here, I'm sure everybody would just sort of like melt into an anarchist utopia of statelessness, and that would be a mistake too. I think the truth is that what Rojava shows you is a real revolution is incredibly messy, and they only were able to kind of face the threats and the opportunities that crisis brought to them in Syria because of the kind of movement they had built for themselves, and they had these practical tools to kind of help local communities govern themselves in that sort of chaos in the power vacuum that arose. And you know, in a moment like this the world over, especially here in the United States, you know, we're the cris that we're facing, the crisis that we're looking down the barrel of I think there's been no more kind of relevant or urgent time to think about how those lessons actually could apply here and what it means for us. What kind of movement do we need to build to be ready for that moment.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, I really agree, And Robert, I'm glad you mentioned, you know, the fact that the revolution is over ten years old, because I think, you know, And to follow up sort of just on what Arthur was saying that sort of sometimes the crises that we face environmentally logical, global warming, and not to mention democracy itself, you know, can seem almost paralyzing, or that we're constantly in a state of reaction. But one of the things that the revolution in Roseeve teaches us is that, first of all, that moments of crisis can also be moments of great transformation, but really only if we're prepared for them. And that's why, you know, whenever I talk about the Roji of a project, I feel it's important to remind people that it didn't just spring miraculously out of nowhere in the moment of the Syrian Civil War. The folks on the ground there had really been preparing for years, I mean decades, even for the opportunity that opened up for them during the Syrian Civil War. And in various ways, of course, they were educating themselves on radical history and particular understanding, you know, the failures of classical Marxism, Leninism, you know, which had been embraced previously by the PKK, and putting also into practice clandestinely the kinds of grassroots democratic social structures that we see operating on the ground there today. So I think that that's one of the lessons that we hear in the US can absorb that you know that we need to be able to exploit the crisis of legitimacy that's growing here today, thinking about what kind of alternatives we want to build and showing people that those alternatives exist, you know these Yeah, that, and you know that's includes engaging in a kind of prefigurative politics that really focuses on things like dual power, you know, cooperative economic project but also local assembly, democratic politics. So that's one of the things that I'm also really excited about talking about talking about as Arthur and I make our way from Seattle down to San Francisco and Oakland during the course of these six presentations and chats and talks and discussions that we're really excited about having beginning next weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. Let's let's let's provide people with a little bit of information on how, you know, they might be able to attend and take part in that. So what should folks look up and look into if they if they're interested in where are you guys going to be?
Speaker 14: Absolutely? Yeah, thanks. I think the best thing people can do is go to defend dot org. That's the website for the Emergency Committee for Roje our group. But right there the front page. You're going to see a poster for our tour that you can click on. It'll take you to links for all the different stops that we're going to do. We're going to be making our way all the way from Bellingham, Washington, which is up near the border of Canada, down to the Bay Area, and you know, we really wish we.
Speaker 6: Could make more cities.
Speaker 14: There are a couple events that are our comrades and colleagues are organizing on the East Coast around the same timeframe, so be sure to look up the calendar on our website.
Speaker 6: But people can go to defend dot org to hear more.
Speaker 14: But the basic idea, like Debbie said, is we want to talk to people not only about what's going on in Rogievo, why we think it matters how they can stand in solidarity, but we want to talk about what we're going to do in our own communities to take those lessons and to apply them to our own context.
Speaker 6: We want to help connect.
Speaker 14: People who are doing you know, real community organizing in local movements and to try to kind of inspire and strengthen what's already going on, rather than just to see this as being strictly about Rocheva, because I mean, y'all probably were told the same thing. When when you're over there and you ask people what can we do to support, one of the things they'll tell you is you've got to organize the revolution at home. And that's on us, you know, it's a it's a it's easier said than done, right, And we're not saying we have all the answers, But what we do want to do is to invite local grassroots activists especially to come join the discussion and let's talk together about what it would mean to apply these basic principles, not to copy and payte then, but to apply these basic principles and lessons, principles of direct democracy, local autonomy, you know, cooperation, feminism. We haven't even talked about how central you know, gender liberation.
Speaker 6: Is to the Kurdish freedom movement. How do we apply these things in our own communities.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And one of the things, by the way, if people are interested in getting some more detail and a real inside look at what is going on in Rojaeven detail is that Arthur has two pieces in the magazine Strange Matters, which is also online, which are just terrific and they're part of a series that he's going to be doing i think monthly over the over the next few months, and so that's some great background as well.
Speaker 9: Aw shucks, Yeah, it's fantastic, Stev.
Speaker 6: Yeah, woe, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Check that out obviously, folks if you're if you haven't, We've also got a podcast series, The Women's War, that covers the earlier history of the Rajavian Revolution up to about twenty nineteen, late twenty nineteen, which will cover quite a bit of the impact that kind of this sort of feminist lens has had on what's happening over there and how it's actually persisted, you know, under the conditions that are really kind of almost impossibly challenging when you look at what these people are up against, which is part of again, I guess ultimately why, as we've repeatedly come back to, I think this is so important for people in the West to study as things get worse for a lot of folks here and as we attempt to arrest and take charge of the situation in our own lives. You know, we have all these questions about how do we stop our government from arming not just Turkey, but all of these regimes around the world that are doing such terrible things.
Speaker 5: How do we stop?
Speaker 1: How do we arrest you know, these problems that are continuing to affect you know, really ultimately, billions of people around the world's taking charge of our own lives, and the same way that these people have. It's kind of making that slogan of the Rejaban revolution, you know, resistance is life. Actually embracing that in a way that matters, and when you focus on sort of the challenges to like the sheer amount of work that has to be done here, the very primitive state of any kind of meaningful resistance, the relatively primitive state of organizing on the left, compared to, for example, the organizing that the right does in tandem with paramilitaries in the state. It can seem like an impossible challenge. But ten years on, the people in northeast Syria are still are still fighting, you know, and I think you have to. I think paying attention to that makes it clear that it is actually possible to win.
Speaker 6: So true.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's kind of it for us today. Is there anything else we want to plug? I just wanted to go out on a better note.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm writing a piece for Kurdish Peace Institute. I'm manifesting this on the podcast, so I've actually write it about Mian Mah Kurdistan solidarity, which I think is cool.
Speaker 1: So like great topic.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I don't think we have a lot of time, but I think that one thing that I've learned from the friends in Roche is that, like, even when you are going through difficulties, you can still stand in solidarity with other people. And God knows we're all going through difficulties in economic and political and state violence terms in this country, and I think that like one thing I really took from that was that it's never too hard for you to be in solidarity. And I hope that folks who are in this country will appreciate that and be in solidarity with people in Roche as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well, Wie Arthur, thank you both so much for being here with us, and thank you for continuing to do the work that you do to keep this topic alive in people's hearts and minds.
Speaker 6: Thank you all so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always happy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, keep up the great work yourselves.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, that's the episode. We will be back tomorrow unless this comes out on a Friday, in which case we might not be back tomorrow, but we'll be back, you know, Monday. You understand how this works at this point, right?
Speaker 12: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.