Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a A the b a q A the b a qa Brian Ambition Question and Answer. You know, once a week. We'd like to jump on here and just do a que a quick b a q A me a manager are geared up. If you have a question on which you know you do, we love to hear them. You can send it to us via Instagram. Our instagram is what's that instagram again at Brian Ambition podcast, right, so just make sure if you want to be anonymous to say so, or you can send us a question via Briannabition podcast dot com and press ask us anything. There's a button there. Is there any other ways that people can kind of submit an answer a question.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, you can hit us up at our AG's at Mandy Money or at the Budgetnista or did we already say brandabissionpodcast dot com, m h ask us anything ask us that's about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you have not available career career questions, business questions, finance questions. You know we were here for all.
Speaker 2: Of it, you know, awkward relationship questions. We'll take those two. Okay, folks, I wanted to I saw a really cute email Brandabission podcast at gmail dot com is our email again. Really cute email from listener Kirsten who listened to last week's be A, Q and A, which y'all should go back and listen to if you missed it, No, no worries, you can still catch it wherever you listen to podcasts where we talked about black women and the struggle that you can feel when you were a black woman and an introvert. So I just wanted to shout her out and read this little message as she said that she sent us. So she says, hey, thank you for talking about introversion. I grew up in a super white community. Sometimes I was the only black student at school, and I struggled a lot with identity and my young adult years. I'm now in my mid to late thirties, and it's only recently that I've come to realize that I often don't feel black enough because they were such limited representation. Black women are expected to be witty, quippy, and funny. Of course, even better if you can sing and dance and me the life of the party, an assumption that clearly has its roots in Minstrelly. In Minstrelly and wait minstrelsy and I don't understand that yet. This caused much stress to my young self because Moesha and Brandy was probably the most famous young black woman on TV, at least in my community. So anyway, I felt seen. I wish my teen self had known you, barn Ambishen were out there. Thank you for the good show, the excellent discussions. I'm starting to dig into Tiffany's book, Get It with Money. It's going to change my life. I'm excited for your new venture. Mandy, and you're both such an inspiration.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kirsten as a Tello girl who literally like a super white community where I was oftentimes to the only black girl in school. I remem my husband first met me, Mandy, because I mean a lot of the I've got a lot more soul in my voice now. He thought that I was putting on an accent because I used to sound like this, Hey my name, I can't even do it m m oh no, yeah, my name is Tiffany, and yeah, so how like it was. But it was I was putting on. It was just I grew up in this neighborhood and that's what I sounded like. He was like, when are you gonna stop talking like that. I'm like, like what he's like, like, like that is that how you talk? For real? No, he's the literally have people come over with you, come eat her talk say something. I'm like, first of all, so because of my husband who he is, and living in New York for so long, I got like a lot more soul in my voice, you know, just because you know who you're around. You kind of like acclimate too. But I understand like because Mosha was, you know, that was the closest that I could see to like yes, like a black kind of like woman superhero where I was like, oh, I feel similar, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Mosha was on a tainable goal for me, at least now that it's like at least there's various different black like versions of black teens and versions of I was just talking to Tiffany about this movie, this new movie Vivo on Netflix, which is so cute if you have kids or not even with kids. I watch the Bout myself with a nice bottle of wine.
Speaker 1: And it was it was so cute.
Speaker 2: Well, when I loved about it was a central character as a young girl who is alternative. She's like very punk, she has bright pink, purple hair, and the whole movie is around how she does not want to conform to the other kids and she her Her signature song is Bounce to My Own Drum, and it's about bouncing to her own drum and it is such a banger.
Speaker 1: You have to lis this song.
Speaker 2: I have been dancing to it all day.
Speaker 1: But I was like, look at this.
Speaker 2: She's not the cute she's not like the shy, quiet introvert. She's not like you know, she's not awkward. She's just who she is. And she's like, I think I'm a fabulous I don't need a lot of friends. I just want to be here with my drum and my magical monkey all playing my music. So I love this and thank you. Thank you Kirsten for sharing that with us.
Speaker 1: That was really sweet. So we do have a quick question from Tracy in the d MB. Tracy, did you come see me sis because I was in your area this past weekend. Anyway, Hey, ba, is it a good idea slash even possible to open an IRA for my son who will be a college freshman in a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Thanks in advance, Tracy the DMV thanks to you. I know what that means, and it's not the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what, remember when I got this all confused before and thought that I could open an IRA for my toddler son. But little fine print there is that they have to be working age and able to earn an income at least, So I think, yeah, she should be able to open a if he's working IRA.
Speaker 1: That's the key he has to because an IRA is for those who don't know, it's an individual retirement account. And so you can only have a retirement account if you're actually employed. And so for example, like super Gris is fourteen and so Angelie who was my amazing financial planner certified financial planner, we're like, she's like, okay, what things does Alyssa do for the Vaginista? Because we can start setting aside, we can open ANGELI suggested a actual a wroth IRA for did she say a wrath ira? I don't remember her say that. Either way, an IRA wrath iras is money that she set aside after taxes are taken out, and the IRA is money you set aside in retirement before taxes are taken out. So anyway, she told me to set up an IRA, and then we can put up to I think I want to say six thousand dollars a year. I believe this is six or sixty five hundred, I don't know, because this is last year was six thousand. Sometimes they some of years they raise it. But basically I could put up the maximum a year, which at that time was six thousand dollars a year into a list of my stepdaughter's retirement account because she was actually working. So that's really the key is that, like if your child is working, yes, and she's at the time she was like, you know, twelve, so the age is not as much of a factor as is that child's working.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if they're like a kid model or something like that, that baby on TikTok who eats food.
Speaker 1: And that baby is working, honey.
Speaker 2: But I would just say, if he's going to be a college freshman in a few weeks, make sure he's involved, because you know, they should understand he shouldn't because the only thing is if he if he doesn't know what you're doing, he can't appreciate the gains over the years. So maybe involve him, show him a little something. He might roll his eyes. I don't know, Maybe he'll be into it, but try to involve at least in the opening and explaining what or let him choose what he's going to invest in, you know, through.
Speaker 1: His account for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, Tiff, Now this questions a doozy.
Speaker 1: A doozy. I'm like, I'm tracking.
Speaker 2: I need to do a shoulder roll. It's a lot of words, yes, but I want to help her. So this is an anonymous b a q A question, and I'm going to read this slowly and thoughtfully, but it's a student loan versus investing kind of question. All right. So this listener says, I am currently renting out a condo that I bought when I was single and netting just under five hundred dollars a month. I want to maximize and leverage my profits. I'm considering a few options and need some help. I don't have any debt except for student loans and two mortgages, one on my main home and one on my rental. I owe about forty eight thousand dollars on my student loans, and I was silly and I refinanced out of my federal loans for a lower rate in twenty nineteen. My goal is to pay off my student loans asap. My payments are seven hundred and thirty dollars a month, but I'm considering refinancing again for more breathing room. So here are some options she's considering again. Her goal is to pay off her loans asap and try to leverage that five hundred dollars a month that she's getting from that rental all right, So she thinks she has four options. Option one, don't refinance the school loan. Take three hundred dollars from her rental profit and put that on top of her student loan payment, so she'd be paying about one thousand dollars a month instead of seven thirty. Number two, don't refinance a student loans. Take that three hundred dollars profit from her rental company and help that help to subsidize her seven thirty payment, which means three hundred dollars of that seven thirty would come from her rental profit and four hundred dollars would come out of her regular income. You still with me, all right? Number three, refinance to a payment around four to five hundred dollars a month. So she's talking about refinancing again to get a lower monthly payment and then invest three hundred dollars a month for a couple of years and attempt to bank a lump sum payment on her loans down the road, and for four say f them loans refinance to a payment around four to five hundred dollars a month, and then invest that three hundred dollars a month profit to save up and pay cash for my next car in a few years, I should add, she says that my husband and I are planning to start a family, but struggling with infertility treatments, so there's no guarantees. Also, I appreciate Tiffany's transparency so much. I never thought i'd cry during a finance podcast. You know, we laugh, we cry, We make money.
Speaker 1: Girl, all the things over here around here, with all the things, so all the things, I do you have a do you have a? Do you have? What you think of? What you want? What you want? What you want to say?
Speaker 2: I mean, where do we start? So she's already in the situation she is, where she's refinanced her federal loans to get the lower rate.
Speaker 1: So let's just start there and just tell people like, well, it's my opinion that for the most part, I really suggest people and this is no shame to you. We're gonna call you Brenda because Brenda had a baby and you gonna get that baby, Brenda. Okay, So for Tupac, for you, Tupaca Loves Branda had a baby. That's the song anyway, So Brenda. So this is no shade to you, Brenda. But this is a good lesson for everyone. One of the reasons why Mandy and I and Mandy, I've heard you say, well, I say this that I really don't like for people to refinance out of federal student loans, even for a lower rate. Oh, because although the lower rate is very attractive, that there are some rules in place that protect you with federal student loans that you can't get that same protection with a private loans. So, for example, now we have this moratorium where for over a year now you haven't had to pay any interest or any payment on your student loan. That does not apply to private student loans. This is only federal student loans. That's where that's where the federal government has agency over And so I just put that out there. So, I mean, I understand why you did it. You know, like you know, you wanted to lower your payments so I just want to put that out there first.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, if she only just read, it sucks because you can only do You can make decisions based on the information that you have at the time. So in twenty nineteen, it probably felt perfectly fine to refinance her student loan out of federal debt with a private loan at a lower rate. But you know, if she had just waited till the pandemic hit and the White House, you know, stopped student loan payments on federal loans and also stopped interest from occurring, that would have been nice. But hey, she didn't. She is where she is. I would just wonder, you know how much I would do the math and you don't stay here. If you've actually shopped around refi rates, you actually can. I think a lot of refic sites will actually let you do a soft credit check to see what your rate might be, so see if you can actually save and get a lower rate. It's only been a couple of years, but we all know rates have been falling, you know, since the pandemic. So maybe you have such a substantial you know, savings that it would make sense for you to refinance again. But it sounds like she wants to not just refinance for a lower rate, but actually refinance and stretch out to a longer repayment term, because by stretching out the number of years she has to repay the debt, she could reduce her monthly payment, which would then free up an extra three hundred bucks which she could then put toward an investment or you know, her save up for her car in the future. Right, h So do you think about that if.
Speaker 1: It was me, Because you know, we're not financial. We're not your financial advisor, nor are we financial advisors. Were just two girls, two financial girlfriends. Okay, So if this was wa, I'm giving advice to not Brianda, but Tiffany, I would say, hey, tiff girlhead girl, you already refinanced out of the federal student loans, so we hear now, I would go ahead and refinance again because why pay more when I can play less? Hello? So I would refinance now. I would check to see I'd be hesitant to refinance for a longer term, but I would you know, I'd be open to refinancing for the same length of time and if I can save, you know, like an additional one hundred and two hundred dollars. That would be awesome. Now, I because student loans typically, especially if you're refinancing, Because student loans, the interest rates are typically reasonable. And I'm assuming if you left federal student loans to go those private student loans, they're fairly reasonable. Because federal student loan interest rates are fairly reasonable, not double digit interest. Then I would not, honestly, part of me says Part four at them loans partially meaning like sis, you're not getting no more than me than this minimum. Because girl, I have life to live. I would be giving my student loans this money. I would set it and set I forget it. I would use the excess money to grow wealth. I wouldn't even like, you know, like you know your car, that's cute, But honestly, I'd be using this excess money to grow wealth. You already have one investment property, maybe another, maybe put into the market. So that's what I would be doing. I would say, you know, I'm going to refinance. I'm going to give the loans whatever it's minimum is, you know, and I'm going to use This is what I did as a budgetista as well as Tiffany. I had was really aggressive with paying off my credit card debt, paid them off. I'm talking about aggressive all the money I had, and then I was like, dang, I really don't want to live in this room. I'd been renting a room because that's all I could afford. I don't want to be living in this room for the next another four or five years because I want to be aggressive with paying off student loan debt. That's not my ministry, and Brenda, I don't believe is yours as well. So instead of what I did was I paid the minimum to my student loans, I automated it, and then I focused my time, energy and the rest of the money I had left over on growing wealth. And in that same five years, I could have been living in that room. At the end of five years, I had my lump sum plus some so I was like, ooh, I have a business. I've got the mine was fifty two thousand. I have the fifty two thousand dollars plus an additional probably a hundred thousand dollars I think I had saved by then, so I had all the things. So I never think that focusing on debt is the right place to place your energy, because where your energy goes that's what grows, and so refinance, Tiffany. I'm not talking about ID because you know, we don't get financial vices in that way. Tiffany, I would refinance. I would take that extra money. I would use it to grow wealth, and over time, as I got my lump sum, you know that I could pay it off because I'd have My assumption is I'm going to have additional money, not just the lump sum for the student loan debt. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I mean I think the key here is that if you've refinanced to a longer term to lower your monthly payment and say you're actually doing something with that extra money and not just you know, pocketing it for for to you know, sustain your lifestyle or to improve your lifestyle, but saving it, investing it. Like you said, I don't know so much about like investing for a car that you're going to buy in the next few years. That's a I mean, that's a long ish but it's not quite long enough for me to say, yeah, maybe put that money in the market. But you know, you can set part of that aside for your you know, in a cash savings account for your new car and be ready for that in a couple of years and then you know, invest the rest into a brokerage account. And there's my child screaming in the background. But I think this is a This is a real complex and fascinating conundrum that I think a lot of people are in. But the key, like Tiffany said, is put that money to work and don't just use it to you know that that's the kind of thing where if you don't automate it, like Tiffany said, the money can easily disappear. Yep, three hundred bucks is like three you know, nice dinners out and I mean you'd be surprised how quickly you can go. So really really being yeah, really being thoughtful and putting that money into work is going to be the key here.
Speaker 1: And make the plan ahead of time. I tell this to everyone that I'm actually reading this book Atomic Habits right now. You've heard of it, right Mandy by James hor Are.
Speaker 2: She's reading another book, I know.
Speaker 1: I just finished David and Goliath by Malcolm Glad. Girl.
Speaker 2: I think all I can do to read my email.
Speaker 1: After this six weeks, I'm a change. Look at my skin glowing gla This six weeks off has changed me. So anyway, so I'm reading Atomic Habits, which is awesome. Well, Tracy always shades me. She said, you're not reading it, it's being read to you audible read girl. I hate it's always go they hate.
Speaker 2: Get her audiobooks reading.
Speaker 1: I hate trace the hater. Anyway, So I'm reading Atomic Habits. And one of the things that he said that I thought was really powerful. We can kind of like close on this is that people think that you have to have this like herculean discipline, right, And what they found with people who are quote unquote super disciplined is not that there's so disciplined, is that they have learned to create environments where they don't have to exercise discipline as much. You know. So it's not like, oh my god, you know, Mandy, you know you're you're so good at writing, You're such a disciplined writer. Yes you are, But you created your she shed cave, your she cave where then the zend I was like, what's the damn name? You created? What? You created a zen den? Which so if you have if you were, like say, writing at the dining room table, then you'd be less likely to write. But you've created an environment that's like, this is just for Mandra and this is this is a creative space where my juices can flow. So what I will say to you, Brenda and anyone listening, is that to before any money or or whatever comes in, to create the plan ahead of time and then set that automation up so you don't actually have to be as disciplined. You know that literally, automation is the new discipline. And Brenda, I'll say this because I know how hard, like you know the journey is with IVF. I mean, you know, I'm on my last last run as it is right now, and so I mean you're allowed to feel bad and terrible about it. You know, people will tell you like, oh, you know, it's gonna be all right, and I mean, I can't promise that it's gonna work out. I don't know, but I do know that, you know, lean into your partner, lean into your family and friends, and you know, do what's right for you. Because people are like, well, why don't you just adopt I'm like, you know, everybody gonna tell you their own opinion, and I just say that do what's right for you. You are allowed to feel however you want to feel about it. But know that it is not I've learned this from myself, that it is not a condemnation of your character. There's nothing wrong with you. Quite honestly, it's a little bit troubling in that people don't talk about it, but human beings, fertility of human beings is down significantly, I mean men and women like I mean when I go to the clinic, I see women who are twenty six all the way up to forty something like me. You know, and my doctor said, literally, you know that fertility doctor around the around the world are like puzzled by, like wow, that it's not that people are just having less kids. You are way less fertile than your grandmother was, way less fertile. And so you know, you're not the only one struggling. When I found out that Michelle Obama both her kids were I U I, which is instead of I you I IVF, it's kind of like the Turkey baseder method. Not to be so graphic, right, but you know that so many women you'd be surprised, You're like, really so and so many women are struggling. So you're not alone in it. And that's why I talk about it. Even though that one girl said to stop boo boo and the boo Boo's still doing it. No, I don't do that just to be funny, because you know, I don't care what she has to say. But Brenda, you know I am a sister in fertility struggle, and you know what will be will be, and you will still be this amazing woman either way. And keep your money. Sist them government. People can't get it when you good and ready f them. Loon. Oh that's a good one. Oh, should be loans.
Speaker 2: S them loans.
Speaker 1: That's the cue.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all, Well, thank you for your questions.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Hit us up Brownhambision Podcast at gmail dot com, or you can hit us up on G on I G. We are at Brown Ambition Podcast on the Gram.
Speaker 1: And if you have not shared this episode yet, stop what you do when and share. Share, Share, get the link, share browne Pitsion podcast dot com the link, share with at least three different people. We want to expand our reach and I think so many people could just really use a little Brown Ambition in their lives.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, until next b a Q and a I have the en in there. You say b a qa, I'm always like b a q and a oh b.
Speaker 1: A q and a actually kind of like the b a q and a Okay, oh b.
Speaker 2: A q any of my little ideas.
Speaker 1: All right, Mary, I have to go.
Speaker 2: I just got my birthday pictures back, so I need to go look at myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're doing that yellow. That yellow was already happen. I was like, what may be doing the most And I love it.
Speaker 2: I do what I can. Okay, all right, tipful, go get some rest, right,