Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 2: For every touchdown the Black and.
Speaker 1: Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union number three. We don't go to the office. We build it.
Speaker 3: Our number two after day number two in the books here for the Steelers, West Shuler, Matt Williamson. Of course, it's the drive. We are in the press box at Chucknollfield High Top, Saint Vincent College's campus here, of course, in another beautiful day in Latroll. So far, so far, so good. The Skies man, the I know we say this every and some of the things are a little redundant because we're here in the same setting every year describing it. But there are so many days out here, and Matt, this is one of them where the sky and the scenery just almost looks painted. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. You've got rolling mountains.
Speaker 3: You've got the rolling mountains off to the right, and the blue sky with some clouds, and you've got the church basilica in front of us. I mean it it is. It looks.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty campus to architecture.
Speaker 3: Our guy Ed Trupe, who you know, of course, hosts the Steelers Standard. You can catch him every day here too, with Baco and a Dan Ski. This is Ed's well I guess I think he got hired right around this time last year. He's giving me a thumbs up. Ed was. Ed was out here a couple times last year, but this is his first time really out here every day, hosting a show, big part of training camp. He actually like the last hour. I told him, I was like, dude, just go for a walk, go check it out here, and he did that. He went around campus and everything and was raving about how beautiful it is. It's a small campus, Matt, but there's just so many beautiful areas here and all around this entire kind of Laurel Highlands, Laurel Valley, area. It's just a beautiful part of the state of Pennsylvania out here in another beautiful day today.
Speaker 2: I gotta take your advice and ask you roam around campus a little more. I think the same pass everywhere, and like when we went to the basketball court the other day, the first time I've been in there, even been in that building. But no, it's it's very cool. I mean, it's a small school. Obviously there's a religious background to it as well, so maybe it's not for everyone, you know, I'm not here to recruit sating, you know, people to go to Saint Vincent's, but I could see the allure for sure, and it's really perfect for what we use it for. There's a reason that the Steelers have been here this long.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic. I do. I do love a college campus. I've been. I've been fortunate to be on a lot of a lot of big schools in their campuses, a lot of smaller schools in their campuses. This is one of my favorite campuses in the entire country. It is. It's just beautiful out here. Most of my other ones would be like Texas and the Michigan a little different, you know, a little different, but this, This would definitely be towards the top of my list. I love it out here and it is another beautiful day today here with practice number two in the books for the Steelers.
Speaker 2: So it's no surprise or no you know secret. I listened to a ton of podcasts, almost all NFL stuff, and every year, without fail, I'll stumble into a podcast where one of the hosts or somebody prominent does a camp tour or whatever and comes here for the first time. You know, there's there's some people that have been coming year after year. They know what to expect, you know, but there's always someone that I'm listening to that comes the first time. It's like, okay, so the Steelers have this weird magic of how does Tomlin get them the over wins all the time, and it's like almost everyone's like it starts there. Yep, it starts here, you know what I mean. There's there's a reason people can laugh at the tradition or boy they're lucky with turnovers and blah blah blah, and you know, the metrics don't line up to be in a playoff team. And I'm not saying this is the only reason it happens, but it's part of it. Yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Wolf used to point this out. Every Steelers team that has ever won a playoff game, it started right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Every Steelers team that's ever won a Super Bowl, it started right here. Now, those two years during COVID, I used to joke with Wolf like, hey, you know, if the Steelers win a playoff game or win a Super Bowl, you can't say that anymore, right, But all six Super Bowls the Steelers. Of course, that first playoff win, the Immaculate Reception in seventy two. You know, that was a few years after they started coming out here. So yeah, things, you know, there's I like the phrase there's no such thing the coincidences, right, yeah, yeah, I kind of butchered that there. But there's a phrase of like, there's no such thing as a coincidence, And I certainly don't think there's any coincidence that the Steelers organization started winning a lot more games and producing a lot more Hall of Famers and a lot more good times when they started coming out here to Saint Vincent College.
Speaker 2: But it is a beautiful day as you started.
Speaker 3: It absolutely is. And I know the earlier practice times for some people might make it a little more difficult because you can't like take the half day of work and then and then get out here for the two o'clock practice. But always, as we tell people, if you can make it out here on a Saturday or for any of these days, it is it's wonderful. I think it's gonna be bonkers. Yeah, it's gonna being I think Saturday is gonna be insane. I think all the weekend practices again with you know, with a little earlier practices. We understand for some people, you know, eleven am practice versus at two o'clock. You know two o'clock practice, you can leave work at noon or twelve thirty or one and still make it out here for it. Uh, not as easy with the eleven am practices. But yeah, I think that's gonna result in the weekend practices being crazy. Matt. Saturday night lights next weekend, I bet you will be will be absolutely out of control at all the cool tradition, another very cool tradition, but especially with it being on a Saturday and not a Friday, I bet you it'll be even more of a wild crowd. And then Monday here on campus is gonna be nuts, Matt, because obviously it's the first day that the pads go on, but also right across the way from us here at the baseball field, the Pat McAfee show will be live. Oh that's Monday, from from noon to to on ESPN. That is on he was he was behind us over here on the side, and I think that created quite a log jam of traffic there. It was nuts. So he will be uh saw. I saw Bert tweeting about that today, Bert Lawton. Of course, he was tweeting that it's going to be in the baseball field over there, and I think the entrance is going to be kind of set up in the outfield, and.
Speaker 2: So you might be more doubt into this than me. Does McAfee do several training camps?
Speaker 3: No, I think he just does thought he just does this one. He does. They move his show around a lot to different stuff, right, but I think this is the only.
Speaker 2: Training he doesn't do a training camp tour.
Speaker 3: They might do a day with the Colts too, because obviously he's based out of indian I think he does. I think he does. I think they do one day with the Colts, obviously, the team he played for and where he lives now, and then one day here, you know, the area that.
Speaker 2: He grew up. But if he was in if he grew up in Olpasso, he wouldn't come.
Speaker 3: Out here, correct, right deep in the west. So Samora moving and shaking out on the field in front of us. Matt is, we'll have another walk through. I would imagine before they started coming down here, I would think so I would. It was I think late in the later in the four o'clock hour, when they started matriculating their way down here. Yesterday we see some of the equipment guys getting some stuff set up as the Steelers will have their their walk through portion of proceedings here in the evening on this Thursday.
Speaker 2: And we say this all the time, and Dale and I said it for decades. It feels like that these guys work on the fields constantly too. I mean there's there's not much going on, but there's always something going on on these football.
Speaker 3: Fields, absolutely right. Yeah, it's it's there's very rarely a time when it's quiet here on the grounds.
Speaker 2: There's nobody touching the field in any way, shape or for him, it like never.
Speaker 3: Happened right midnight exactly. I was gonna say, maybe when maybe when the sun goes down. That's about it. And you know what, it's funny. I was I was talking about this with with Ed and some other people towards the end of camp. A lot of times, Matt, it'll be eight o'clock at night here and you'll see like the Saint Vincent lacrosse team or the women's soccer team or whatever. They'll be out here doing their practices. But they're always on the turf field over there and not the grass ones right here. But you'll see that when we get to the last few days of camp, when all those Saint Vincent athletes start reporting to campus.
Speaker 2: You see a lot more people around.
Speaker 3: You'll see like the lacrosse team and the soccer team in the evenings because that's the only time they can get out there, down on the turfield.
Speaker 2: And often I haven't seen it yet these two days, but you'll see a lot of kids in like flag football and like some kind of little camps on that that turf field. I don't know why, but the Steelers barely ever step foot on that field. I don't know if the quality is not to their liking or I don't know, it's it's usually field turf field.
Speaker 3: It's usually only when it rains and they're like, we don't want there outside.
Speaker 2: And now they're going to the new indoor, the new indoor here, and rarely do you see them on that field in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: It is a little bit smaller of a field, I think. I don't think it looks more narrow. I don't think it's a full one hundred yard and I think it's full dimensions if you will, but it is. It's the only one outside here that is not grass. It's it's the one turf field over there. But then yeah, it's also.
Speaker 2: A very dangerous wall in the back corner too. If you're throwing fade balls back there.
Speaker 3: There absolutely is a nice retaining wall over there in the corner. And that's a great point by you. You know, we would see if it was if it was a thunder and lightning type storm in the past, they would move into the gymnasium because that was their only option. But if it was just a real rainy day, they would go to the turf field over here.
Speaker 2: They would do at least like individual stuff. Yes there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now though you're right, I mean, we haven't assumed they go. Weather's been great, but I would assume that the new building that we talked about, the new rec center behind us, that has I think it's like a seventy yard indoor field in there. Hey, hopefully the weather will hold out and we won't have to uh to see them inside there.
Speaker 2: And just chatting with some of the beat writers last night at Sharky's, they I guess they don't know if they're invited or not to the indoor if and when that happens.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Yeah, maybe they'd use that as an opportunity to get some some closed doors work done. Maybe maybe very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting that this hasn't come up yet.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, it'll be. It'll be. Uh, it'll be something we'll keep an eye on. If we do have one of those days again, Hopefully it stays in the in the seventies and warm and beautiful like it has been out here. Looks like next week there's some possibility for some weather, but we always know that. We also know that can change very quickly.
Speaker 2: It does happen quickly on here. So I don't know if people like our play by play of groundskeeping or not, but I do it every year a little bit because it intrigues me going on. But my man here with the rollers, he's got the three heavy rollers that's patting it down. They've only done from the numbers to the sideline. Yeah, he is not even cross midfield. He's doing the length of the field. But he's only working on really one.
Speaker 3: Third of the field at the boundaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's only basically gone from I'm not sure if his hashes or the numbers to the far sideline. He has not worked on this side of the field at all. I don't know if he will or if there's just they think that side's a little loose, you know, maybe the more drills.
Speaker 3: Drill on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: But oh again, I'd love to get one of the guys up here and coach es up.
Speaker 3: It's almost it's kind of like a field zamboni that he's he's cat rolling around there right now, heavy roller weights. See all right, he's making a turn. Is he going to go through the center of the field here this time?
Speaker 2: Is he gonna still be shock comes all the way our direction?
Speaker 3: You gonna stay out on the bound Now he's gonna prove me wrong.
Speaker 2: He's done.
Speaker 3: He's finally going down the hash marks here. Oh, I tell you what This is thrilling stuff I do. It's the nerdy stuff that you can. You don't come out here to Saint Vincent College just because you love the Steelers in football. You come out for all these different uh you know, the minutia, the details.
Speaker 2: These scene definitely the closest to us that he's come.
Speaker 3: Maybe I was off on that seeing how the sausage is made out here is uh is the great Kyle Powers equipment manager is driving some looks like lights and video equipment.
Speaker 2: Remember yesterday fifty the massive work they were doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were talking. They did a pretty good job there. There's uh, there's always It is amazing to me how fast even with all the I mean, they spend hours on these fields every day and it is still amazing how fast they get torn up. But when you have what ninety some athletes out there, plus all coaches and ninety some big athletes out there, it does It does make sense. And that's that's why they need all these different fields mad of, you know, to to make sure that they're keeping it all safe and playable and all that good stuff for the guys.
Speaker 2: And you were describing this to me too, because it's sort of topical because World Cup was just around. But I mean the damage that a football team does to a field compared to a soccer match. Nuts, right, Nuts, That's why the that's why the yourceros.
Speaker 3: That's why all those stadiums went back to their turf as soon as the World Cup was over. Is because it is quite the maintenance cost. You know what, Messi's what like five foot nine and probably weighs one hundred and fifty hundred and sixty pounds. There's there's not many Darnell Washington's out there for Argentina or Spain or in the World Cup. It's a little bit of a different beast out here, actually.
Speaker 2: Dark size shoes digging into the into the turf, you know.
Speaker 3: Good lord, imagine though Max Starks is like a center back or like a striker trying to corner kick, trying to get the get that guy to not get a header on the ball. I'll tell you what he might have He might have been onto something there. I think he'll take a couple Super Bowl rings that he won here with the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Though they're still not coming very far away. Though it's like the same everything over there has gotten a lot of rolling things over here.
Speaker 3: Haven't gotten any it's all meticulously playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely like McCarthy practice report down to the fifty six minute.
Speaker 3: Speaking of offensive linemen and big people, I do want to uh Brandon Thorne, who were big fans of put out his annual offensive line rankings. I was kind of surprised where the Steelers landed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's some reasons for that. We'll save it for next segment. We will talk that when we be a little more encouraging than the number that they're at.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's talk some some offensive line and some expectations for this unit as we roll along here in the second hour, West Uler, Matt Williamson. All part of our ongoing training camp coverage. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started remember FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital Donz Appliances. Visit Donzappliances dot com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and B Hass's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is is hospitality.
Speaker 3: If you listen to the Drive regularly, you know, Matt and I we have our analysts, are guys that we go to at certain times of the year or for certain topics.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh no, no, Dame becialists out there like.
Speaker 3: A draft season. We love Dame Brugler, Nate Tye and Matt Harmon. Some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Harman's my wide receiver expert. I referenced them all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sando's quarterback tiers.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's a lot of fantasy people that are you know, worth digging into even if you're not into fantasy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And one of the guys that Matt and I really like is Brandon Thorne, who of course is the offensive line guru for establish the run, and we think he is one of the guys who does the best analysis if you're looking for offensive line analysis.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people ask me nowadays, you know, and times have change, so my path won't help you now, But how do I get into what you guys do for a living, or how do I get into scouting? And one thing I could definitely recommend is if you can find a niche like Brandon does and just be the best O line guy out there, best wide receiver guys. Yeah that's you know, Harmon's the best receiver guy. So if you were a corner back background and you can teach the world about corners and why Certains better than Porter, but Porter's better than Gonzalez and this is particular coverage, might be a world for you out there.
Speaker 3: You know, hey, people are always uh, people are always looking for good content, especially around National Football League circles where we just can't get enough of this stuff. Matt Brandon Thorn has put out his annual offensive line rankings. He ranks all thirty two units in the NFL into five five different tiering systems. You know, Tier one obviously being elite, Tier five being a fragile as he likes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a huge or an overlapping observation. I don't think the elites are quite as good as they have been in previous years, you know, like the Lions when they'd rag now and Kelcls and those guys. I think they were better than the elites. But I also think the crappy ones are a little better than they have been too. You know, like the Browns are going to come in low and they just totally revamped their O line, and I thought they did a pretty good job with the cards they were dealt. I mean, now, I mentioned this the other day when we were talking about Steelers, oh line, but really hit me hard reading through all these profiles and all his write ups. Are none of these lines look horrendous right now, but so many of them are just one bad thing away from being a house of cards, you know, like the starting five.
Speaker 3: You lose that one, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That very few of that Steeler depth that we talked about that Heaven forbid. I know you'd even hate hearing this.
Speaker 3: You lose feature.
Speaker 2: You know, don't put Hoffman in there.
Speaker 3: You'll survive.
Speaker 2: You can survive, you know what I mean, right?
Speaker 3: You would? You can? You can not even prevent the ship from sinking. You could maintain course and direction and all that good stuff. Matt, how do you want to do this? Do you want to start the top? Do you want to start the back? Do you want to start with the Steelers?
Speaker 2: I don't care. I really don't.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the Steelers.
Speaker 2: We don't spend a lot of time on all these, all of them, but you know, right.
Speaker 3: Let's start. Let's start. Let's start with the Steelers then, because that's what kind of surprised me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: He had the Steelers in Tier three as the nineteenth best offensive line in.
Speaker 2: The NFL basically average or slightly below.
Speaker 3: And here's here's his right up there. Okay, Yeah, they have a talented foundation of left tackle, left guard in center from Faltonu, McCormick, and Fraser, but two members are changing sides and an inexperienced right side makes the overall outlook unstable. Pittsburgh enters twenty twenty six with our King, Zach Fraser anchoring a talented three man foundation. Fraser is one of football's strongest interior blockers in a top two center because of his rare leverage, play strength and down to down control. Man, I like hearing that. Let's read let's read that back ten times. Here. Troy Faltonu and Mason McCormick will move together from the right side to the left. Both played the left side in college, making the switch as a pair should preserve some familiarity. McCormick was solid last season, while Faltonu played very well with a clear upward trajectory. The right side is far less settled. Rookies Jennings Dunker and Maxie Haunachuur offer the highest long term potential at guard and tackle, while Dylan Cook is a scrappy stopgap and Spencer Anderson is better suited for backup work. Fraser, Faltanu and mccormickers streng enough to keep Pittsburgh near the middle of the league, but the competition must produce two viable right side starters for the unit to climb.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to defend Brandon a lot because he does phenomenal work, and I've also listened to him on many outlets as opposed to just reading that paragraph about the Steelers O line. So I don't want to speak for him, but I have a pretty good idea of what he's thinking here is there's probably some listeners going he doesn't know enough about Anderson and Cook. He didn't watch them, you know, he is. He's just kind of writing a sentence about him and they're not high pedigree guys. Oh no, he knows he knows about every offensive alignment in the league. Can't tell you much about safeties or running backs, but he can tell you about every alignment in the league, and probably I'm sure he could break down Cook's footwork better than any of us, and he could do that with any player in the league. He's not a Steeler specialist either, so he's very aware of what they did. Now. I also know when Brandon does his rankings, especially not during the season when you're looking at this time, continuity is very very important, you know, and you talk to o Lime, and continuity is extremely important.
Speaker 3: A tounch of Wolf would just kind of five fingers on a fist, yeah.
Speaker 2: And they would just kind of grunt at each other, and nonverbal communication and those Puncy di Castro Ramone lines had very little change. And history shows continuity on the O line really really pays off. So I promise you if Brandon was sitting here, he would say, I'm gonna ding the Steelers O line because the two guys I liked best are flopping sides and the other ones are new or sort of uncertain. I mean, really, to be fair to the Steelers, if we take the black and gold glasses off the only sure thing of what you know to be true is Zach. Now, I'm very fond of the other guys as well.
Speaker 3: And we think they'll be fine moving to the left side, yes, but we still haven't seen.
Speaker 2: It in a haunt A chore was like my favorite prospect as I forget that part too. Now. I've also heard Brandon say for He's been on many podcasts, but you know, people asking him who do you think the next great offensive tackles in the league are? And faltonu without fail always is at the tip of his tongue. You know, he talks about Mims and Cincinnati. He talks about a couple of these guys that don't have the recognition yet, but always Falton him and then the other thing he values, which rightfully so in today's NFL, he'll put more weight on pass blocking than run blocking. And he tries to write these as agnostic as possible in terms of if you're helped a lot by the scheme. I don't want to give you extra bonus points for that, sure, but I have heard him and this is rightfully so. Because Rogers recognition and time to throw is so low, is recognition so high, and his time to throw is so low. Pass blocking for the Steelers was easier than pass blocking for the Ravens. I mean, it just is you know, holds out again, extending the play right right, right right, or for cam Ward it's learning, you know, I mean a young guy, let alone an athlete type. You know, let's take a look at up. But he's very fond the Steelers O line overall. Yeah, and he loved the Haunta chore.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm hoping that will rapidly ascend his power rankings. Here is this as this rolls along, Matt, he has four offensive lines in Tier one listed as elite, the first the Denver Broncos, and that one's not surprising. I mean, but or like you were saying the Lions of a couple of years ago, the Eagles still check in at number two. Real strong, real strong there, certainly, I mean, Lane Johnson still might be the best at what he does. Jordan my lat is outstanding. But we're gonna see there's a lot of questions there about some injury and health status of those guys. And they lose Jeff Stoutlin, who was widely regarded as one of the best positional coaches in the NFL.
Speaker 2: This is a cool thing that that he Brandon does too, is he lists the O line coach and offered references too, because he kind of knows these guys. He goes to O line masterminds. He's he spends a lot of time with these dudes. And what's cool about you know thorn On It is his sub stack too. Two weeks ago he had Laramie Tunsel on his sub stack and they sat there and watched the game or the tape, and you can watch that video of the two of them just breaking down work. And I mean, like people know who he is. You know, that's pretty sweet. It's pretty sweet.
Speaker 3: Number three is the Bucks.
Speaker 2: You know a lot they were really banged up last year.
Speaker 3: A lot of chaos in Tampa right now, but that offensive line man Christian Wurfs is outstanding. Graham Barton is outstanding. Uh, Tampa Bay. If like you said, last year they had a ton they had just we talked about that yesterday. They had bad injury luck on the offense, on the offensive line. But checking in number three here assuming health heading into the season.
Speaker 2: One more Eagles notes I meant to say too, is I've I've heard Brandon several times say I think Lane johnsons the best right tackle ever.
Speaker 3: He and might be.
Speaker 2: He might be right now, he's still extremely good now.
Speaker 3: My former co host Arthur Mots would be biting our heads off if he heard us say that, because he'd be like, oh what the two ped suspensions don't mean anything to you. But that was also a while ago. That was a long time ago. He can't be ignored then, can't be can't be ignored, and it will be part of his legacy. But he's also going to uh to moon walk into the Hall of Fame as a first ballot guy.
Speaker 2: If you just watch his tape and anything else aside, it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: I told you there was that video a couple of weeks ago of him, of Dion Dawkins, and of Will Campbell all working out together. Now, Will Campbell looked like an ant compared to Lane Johnson. But even Deon Dawkins, who is one of the better left tackles in the NFL, he looked like Lane Johnson looked like he played a different sport that even Dion Dawkins.
Speaker 2: Dawkins is kind of a rounder, softer bild too. Yeah, Johnson's like the big, big tight end.
Speaker 3: Looks like Harry's you know what I mean. It looks like a Greek statue chiseled out of marble. Number four is the Buffalo Bills and Dion Dawkins. Matt, You've talked about this before, not you know, the best offensive line in the league, but consistently really good and probably probably underrated by the average football And I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if everybody knows this, but Pat Meyer, who I was fond of here I thought I did a good work, is taking over for a pretty well established, yes now retired OH line coach in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Thorn says former Steelers offensive line coach Pat Meyer, who previously worked with the Bears and the Bills, takes over. There should be more carryover than with most coaching changes, but losing Chromer, who was their last offensive line coach, right, losing Chromer's developmental track record still creates some projection uncertainty. But even with those variables, the tackle duo and tiers stability in depth keep Buffalo in the league's top tier. Number five, Matt into tier two is the Chargers, who you know, speaking of offensive line health, they had terrible look in that regard last year. Just getting Joe Walton, Rashaun Slater back and healthy alone makes them one of the better units in the life.
Speaker 2: I think they upgraded at center. I don't know if the guard position got noticeably better, but it's so so. But the tackles are the best pair in the league. I would say, maybe Philly.
Speaker 3: The Colts at six. Does that surprise you that they're that high. I think they're really good, but six maybe surprised me a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he has great respect for Quentin Nelson fixed hear. They've had a little bit of change though, like at right tackle, and it's a it's a quality unit.
Speaker 3: Seven is the Saints.
Speaker 2: I think that's a real up and coming kind of like the Steelers. They've invested a lot of high picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Calvin Banks junior is is I think going to be really good here heading into his second year. So that's it for Tier two. It's just the Chargers, the Colts, and the Saints. Five.
Speaker 2: The Saints Steelers are very comparable.
Speaker 3: I do too. Yeah, and again I'm I'm wasn't looking at this list expecting the Steelers to be in the top five or anything, but I would have thought they would have been closer to tennish than twenties I would do, but hey, it's one one man's opinion, and he certainly knows more than I do. Tier three. The Chiefs at number eight. That's an interesting one because it just feels like they've had so much change on that offense.
Speaker 2: I have the guy that's really intriguing that could be one of the next great tackles too, is Josh Simmons, the first round pick from a year ago. Played it only like two hundred ninety pounds, but like rare movement skills, dancing bear, dancing bear, but also was drafted late in the first round because of some concerns, and then he had some concerns last year too. So put it all together, young man.
Speaker 3: You know, Cowboys at number nine, Matt still a lot of uh, you know, interior power in that Cowboys on that Cowboys offensive line. Despite Mike McCarthy being gone for a couple of years, they still have some Mike McCarthy tendencies.
Speaker 2: With tech group they do guard pairing is very very good.
Speaker 3: And then the Bears round out the top ten. Uh checking in there. That's gonna be interesting one because I was gonna say they're another one. I mean, Joe Thuney is incredibly he won the protector this one Protector of the year. Darnell right, we both stid rightfully so rave about him. But they still have some questions there, particularly in the center of that group.
Speaker 2: Yeah again two changes. Dolmon retires on them out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Was like, whoa you know, Yeah, that'll get you, that'll get you. Let's break here when we come back. I want to, I just want to. I want to take a look where the other teams in the division. Yeah, in particularly on this list, and maybe some of those at the bottom who are maybe a little bit stronger than you traditionally have at the bottom of these types of list. Will close out our number two with more offensive line conversation when we return West Shuler Matt Williamson live from Saint Vincent College. It's our all, part, part of me, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage on your twenty four to seven home of the Black of Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to enjoy and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before you dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit.
Speaker 2: Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold score.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission, they said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot.
Speaker 3: Org and buy iron Workers Local Union number three.
Speaker 2: We don't go to the office, we build it.
Speaker 3: Having some offensive line conversation here in our number two, taking a look at Brandon Thorne's offensive line rankings. He has the Steelers nineteenth out of thirty two teams in the NFL in Tier three, so you can kind of, yeah, look at the numbers and think was that below average? But he's got them in tier three of five, so right about right about middle of the road.
Speaker 2: And to his credit, which I think we all agree with. I think he basically said the arrows pointing out yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: So Matt, let's take a look at the some of the other three units across the AFC North and how they compare.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't trade Steelers for any of them.
Speaker 3: By the way, I wouldn't either, you know, I don't think I wouldn't right now, and I suddenly certainly wouldn't for the next five years.
Speaker 2: Agree.
Speaker 3: But I will say though, the Bengals, and it's better than you think. And what they have at their bookends in particular, is better than you think. And he actually has them a couple spots ahead of the Steelers at sixteenth overall, kind of right in the middle. Orlando Brown junior on the left side, Mims on the right side, Matt I think one of the best young tackles. Yeah, he could be special in the game. Cincinnati just a couple spots ahead of Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they finished the season very strong as a running team. They have invested in the interior a little bit. They drafted two interior guys in the mid rounds this year or too, to reinforce it. Orlando Brown's not my favorite, but I've always thought he's overpaid and overrated. But that doesn't means bad, sure, you know. And they're also a cumongous at tackle. I just think that there's a misconception that people just remember Burrow getting his head beat in time and time again and no running game. Well, those times have changed that this line's gotten better.
Speaker 3: It was very number of them. He had them sixteenth overall. Ye, kind of right in the middle, and as you mentioned, they were very good down the stretch. Yeah, last year. And Dylan Fairchild, if he can take a step.
Speaker 2: Forward, yeah, he's promising.
Speaker 3: You know, the two former Georgia Bulldogs and Mems and Fairchild on that on that offensive line, they certainly could be one with the ear pointed up as well. Rams checking at seventeen, Jets check in at eighteen, and then I mentioned the Steelers at nineteen, Matt. The Ravens are at twenty one, So not much separating Cincinnati and Pittsburgh and Baltimore. But I tell you what, there's a lot of questions there for the Ravens, particularly at center. But at the same time, man if a guy that we spent a lot of this offseason talking about, if one Venga Yowana out of Penn State can hop on the moving train as a rookie, that would go a long way for Baltimore.
Speaker 2: I expect him to quickly be their best offensive lineman. Like Rose and Garden at right tackles fine Stanley's gradually recovered from a gruesome ankle injury. I don't know if people know the story, but it's pretty rough. Like it was Steelers week, like three or four years ago, and they signed him in season to a huge contract, goes in the Steelers game and destroys his ankle like three days after signing. That's right now, and it took him. He's never quite been the same. He was like tap with the tarp of the market left tackle in that contract, and you feel bad for the team in particular, but the player too, because he's not the player he was. But he got the money at least out of it, and now he's starting to get back to being above average. But there was talk at that point like he might be one of the next great ones and never quite got to that point. So I do think Yuanna could go past him as their best guy. Center got a little better this week, or with Ethan Posk. I assume that they've had that in the works for a while. He was a brown. Recently he's okay, you know, he's okay. I mean it was better than it was. The drop off to linder Bomb from Linderbaum is still pretty massive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Brandon says, the new interior of the offensive line keeps their projection volatile. Makes sense, makes sense. And even as high as you and I both were on on Venga, still a rookie guard, Still a rookie guard. Who's got to prove it. So they the Ravens checking at twenty one. That's the end of his Tier three.
Speaker 2: And this is Simpson's second stint with them as well. Okay, Simpson was quite good with the Ravens, and as the Ravens often do, they let him walk, got a camp pick in return. He went to the Jets, was decent. He's a big and heavy footed mauler type, and then they brought him back. They were familiar with him, you know, but I don't think he's great.
Speaker 3: Some stability there, but still some volatility, definitely, definitely with some young guys and some that I.
Speaker 2: Don't love their depth either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big big change at center there in Baltimore, certainly with Tyler Linderbaulm heading out to Las Vegas into Tier four, which is below average. Profiles. Man, the Patriots are down here at twenty four, which I continue to think you talk about kind of that glass ceiling for teams. Yeah, or the Patriots might be the commanders from a year ago. To make it to not go and pick in the in the top five or anything like that, but to take a noticeable step back.
Speaker 2: They could the lines better than it was a year ago. They did use a first round pick on a tackle, and they brought they need Vera Tucker to stay healthy because then Wilson, who was a rookie center at Georgia played guard last year, now goes to center. So conceivably they're better in several locations and you can bring along the rookie of the Utah kid.
Speaker 3: Slowly, they got Isanu that they drafted, then they got Lomu sorry, the other Utah tackle. Ye uh, and then Matt We're still waiting for the Browns. They are in Tier five, bottom tier profile thirty first overall.
Speaker 2: Well, he hates change, and they're all new and the starters and a new O line coach good, so there's some talent there. And again I was blown away that they were able to put the good old line on paper, considering where they were this offseason. They had like five of their top six guys were all hating free agency, and one of which retired in Potonio and the other guys were older Posik and you know, some of these other guys. But at least on paper, it looks okay. But the chances of continuity early on is real slim. And some of the guys they invested into they overpaid on, you know. And you're hoping for Jenkins to get back to where he was like two years ago. But it could be not a disaster. And I thought it was gould be a disaster.
Speaker 3: If they're thirty first in the league, it might be a disaster. But yeah, there's I think there's some some vertical mobility there.
Speaker 2: That's kind of why I said the bottom the very top teams aren't quite as good as usual. The very bottom teams aren't as disastrous as usual. He is Tennessee at.
Speaker 3: Thirty two though, right he has Tennessee at thirty two.
Speaker 2: Yep, you kind of feel for them because he used a first round pick on Scronsky, who's one of the best guards in the league for nobody would ever know about, and then Latham and he's been and then he paid Dan more big money to kind of firm that up. He has not lived up to it. I mean that has not been a good deal. And then the other two spots are huge holes too, so they at least I feel bad for teams when they invest and they don't get anything out of there.
Speaker 3: Invest right, you know what I mean? Yeah, No, it might be another long year for camp Ward there certainly, but yeah, maybe some the addition to Brian Dable and some other things that they can do to ease that that struggle. Does look like the Browns are going to start Spencer Fanu on the left side left tackle. I think I gots the right decision to start him there and then if it's if he's not the guy, you could still move him around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was one of those many dudes in this draft, like Procter from Alabama and different styles that they're on the tackle ranks. You know, Dan's you know, beast or whatever, but might be better at guard. We'll see. He's not the prototypical left tackle, but he moves really really well. And I think they're they're O line h scheme is going to be based more on movement than power. But they have a couple of pieces. Their puzzle is a weird build because they drafted three linemen and two others in addition to Faunu the Brewer kid out of Florida. He's okay and he's a tackle, only I don't love him. And then an interior dude's the center. So they have a lot of pieces. And Howard, who they got from Texans. He could be a guard, he could be a tackle. So I'm not sure how their jigsaw puzzle ultimately goes together. They might not have a left tackle, but Fawn, who's gonna sinker swim there?
Speaker 3: Sinker swim there. If he sinks, there's still a lot of other ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could still be very successful. Yeah, we liked him a lot coming out.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was a big fan of his since I unfortunately watched him and his Utah utes run for about seven thousand yards against the Mountaineers back in September. Matt the Jags at number thirty on this list. Sean Surrett their offensive line coach because another former name I forgot that he was that he was down there.
Speaker 2: Now, there's a lot of optimism around Jacksonville, and I totally get that, and they played really strong down the stretch and the offense is quite good. But this group should be at the bottom. And I rarely see them at the bottom of these type of ranks. I very much agree with with Thorn on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna need a lot from the rookie Emmanuel Pregnant if they want to be Yeah, they want to be very viable. That'll be interesting because I think you and I have we spent some time this offseason talking about as Trevor Lawrence turned a corner to this point, I think there's a good chance he has, but you better be able to protect him and get him upright and keep him healthy.
Speaker 2: They haven't put a lot of investment in the line in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: Same church, different pew here, Matt another one that I wanted to run by you. He's got the Houston Texans at twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Another one that are almost like wholesale changes every year.
Speaker 3: And it almost seems like it's every year that they've been trying for so long, even before CJ. Stroud was there, to find the right group on the offensive line. Twenty seventh. The Texans check in here. They did add Braden Smith at right tackle.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of names like they're a lot of teller ye guard. They remind me a little bit of the Browns, Like, I'm not exactly sure how the puzzle will go together, and they're teaching the first round guard to be a center who has got a little bit of a background from Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rutledge, Rutledge.
Speaker 2: They also don't have a lot of star power either. You know, Tunsil's gone, but again he's always gonna penalized teams that have a lot of new.
Speaker 3: Stars, which makes sense. Yeah, it's such a It's probably the most continuity position group in the NFL. It's just wild though. Like again it's you know, c J. Stroud. If you want some stability there, if you want him to really feel like he's turned the corner and established that's that cand be a technically, that could be. That could be a tough ask at times, Matt with uh.
Speaker 2: With But maybe they find the answer to I mean, they they have not been patient with their alignment at all, but maybe they just realize the error in their ways and they're quick to move on from them, and maybe they figured it out. But I don't see any pro bowlers in that group either.
Speaker 3: I certainly certainly do not. So that's uh, that's Brandon Thorne's twenty twenty six offensive line rankings Steelers checking in at nineteen number two uh in the in the in the AFC North. However, though, so that'll be the.
Speaker 2: Three were all pretty clustered together.
Speaker 3: Though they they were, they were very very very close to one another. I was also looking, you know, on his UH, on his sub stack. He has his UH, he has his posit individual top tens for every position. Yeah. Yeah, he has Zach Fraser listed as the third best center in the NFL, ahead of created one. He has Eric McCoy of the Saints at two.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I thought Zach Fraser at three, Cam Jurgens four, Linderbaumb five, Graham Barton six, Brewer seven, which is a little bit lower than I. Yeah, I mean, just off the year that he had last year, he was unbelievable. He's got Creed Humphreys tier one, and then he has uh McCoy, Fraser, Jurgons, Linderbaumb, Barton as tier two. Okay, here's what he said that you know, I got to read this before. Yeah, here's what he says about Zach Fraser. Fraser put on a show as a rookie last season, with elite level play and a feel for angles and leverage. Far Bond his years, although it was his second.
Speaker 2: Year, not his These might be a look through the date. These might be a year old, because that's probably why Brewer is so low, because I have not seen anything recent.
Speaker 3: You're I clicked, I clicked on the wrong year. That's on me. So wow. So he had Zach at number three after his rookie season. Yeah, baby, we'll find uh, we'll find the updated ones there and see what we got. But it's I'm telling you, Matt, it's it's we know in Pittsburgh, like we love the offensive line play, I think more than most places. We love we love centers, certainly more than than most places. You and I had some fun conversation with Jerry Doulac last night actually about Steelers that aren't in the Hall of Fame that he thinks has the best chance to get in the Hall of Fame a little bit. Obviously not including Ben Roethlisberger because we all know he's going, But Pouncey was the one. He said, you know, more than Hines or Hampton or James Harrison. He really thinks Pouncey is the other one that has that has a chance.
Speaker 2: And congrats to Jerry. He's now in charge of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we said to him, will you.
Speaker 2: Better get did it for years? Dale did it for a year?
Speaker 3: Dale did it for for Paul Mollow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that probably that one probably wasn't too difficult.
Speaker 2: I don't think I should bust out a little bit. I'm like, you can get Fan in in the first drive. Yeah it took him two years.
Speaker 3: Oh well, it's him for two years. Yeah, but it took Fan like six years to get into the Hall of Fame, which was just ridiculous. But I also get it the offensive lineman orangs, sexy names that they want headlining classes. And I also like a tounch of Wolf used to talk about this. They're like, there's Steeler fatigue and Canton like they're tired of inducting these which I think some of it might be a little homerism from our guys, but I do think there's a lot of there's probably some truth to it too. It's probably I.
Speaker 2: Think that happened more like when the seventies Steelers were coming up. Yes, I mean it's not like they were putting putting out three names a year, you know. I mean for that stretch, it got a little old. That might hurt like Elsie and teams. You know, Donny Schell.
Speaker 3: I think Donny Sell had to wait a long time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We were hoping Elsie was going to get in last year, but that ended up not being the case. But yeah, it won't be too long till till one. Benjamin Todd roethlisbergers I think so.
Speaker 2: And uh, and then the Hall of Fame game is in our future, which is the extra week of camp and.
Speaker 3: Go into an extra preseason game.
Speaker 2: I went through that a couple of years ago. It was not wonderful. Now it was a bit much.
Speaker 3: It was a little bit much. Who knows, though, Maybe we'll be down to two preseason games by then and then it'll just be a third like we're used to now.
Speaker 2: Some radio shows from this like Outsided Gym and there was like three tables there. I'm like, I'm not sure we're doing here. It wasn't like we're sitting there with Hall of Famers or Troy or anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly right. Well, we'll see how we'll see how that all plays out. But yes, there will be a massive, massive black and gold contingent out in Canton before too much longer. Whenever Ben Roethlisberger inevitably gets his gold jacket. That is two hours in the books, bonus hour when we return will kick it off.
Speaker 2: As Aslave just signed a four year extension a couple of minutes ago. Yeah, there's so many extensions.
Speaker 3: Lately, it really is there. Yeah, four year extension worth up to one hundred and thirty two million dollars with ninety million guarantees.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I would like to see the collective contracts right now for former Ohio State wide receivers. Yeah, it has to be. It has to be just insane, especially with what JSN just signed this offseason.
Speaker 2: Garrett Wilson must be next because him and the Lobby were drafted first round the same year.
Speaker 3: Yep, as I tell you what it's like. You used to always talk about with running backs at the you back in the day, like you go to Ohio State is a wide receiver and you end up just starting at some point in your career.
Speaker 2: You'll be fine.
Speaker 3: You will be just fine.
Speaker 2: I mean, no one knew Tate was barely a year ago, let alone two years ago, and he was a six pick in the draft.
Speaker 3: Mecha Buca was almost an afterthought on some of those Ohio state teams and yeah, you're right, Tate, same way, and it was he was a top ten pick.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And they've got some more guys, certainly Jeremiah Smith and Chris Henry Junior coming down the pipeline here before too much longer. That'll do it for our normal two hours, but the bonus hour kicks off when we come back. We will get to the tweets to start the five o'clock hour, like we like to do out here at camp. I think we'll also have some Steelers head and down for some walkthroughs as the fields are picking up a little bit in front of us, and some of the equipment guys and the coaching staff heading down here. So plenty more to get to on our final hour of the show. Get those tweets in if you want to get involved. Was Shouler Matt Williams, and it's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network