Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's Jay Sheddy here and I couldn't be more excited to share this exciting news you asked, we delivered Juny sparkling tea with adaptogens made by my wife and I are now available in all Sprout locations across the country. Juni is the perfect midday pick me up. With only one third of the caffeine found in brood Green tea, it provides a gentle energy boost without the crash. It only has five calories and zero grams of sugar, making it the perfect drink. Plus, it's made with the delicious blend of adaptogens and neotropics that may help boost your metabolism, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants, and stimulate brain function.
Speaker 2: Head over to your local.
Speaker 1: Sprouts of visit sprouts dot com to find the closest location near you.
Speaker 3: Being honest with where you stand and how you feel, it's really given another person an option and opportunity to be as honest with you. And whatever your fear of that is or that outcome is never really as big as what you make it up to be. You know, it's really not that small. It's not promised to anyone, but time will move on. You know you will move past it, and if it'smorro will never come. At least you can know that you said what you needed to say.
Speaker 1: Before we jump into this episode, I'd like to invite you to join this community to hear more interviews that will help you become happier, healthier, and more healed. All I want you to do is click on the subscribe button. I love your support. It's incredible to see all your comments and we're just getting started. I can't wait to go on this journey with you. Thank you so much for subscribing. It means the world to me.
Speaker 2: The number one health and wellness podcast.
Speaker 4: Jay Sheetty Jay Shetty see ny Only shet.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, Welcome back to on Purpose, the place you come to to become happier, healthier, and more healed. I appreciate your ears, I appreciate your eyes. I'm so grateful that you're here right now, and I thank you for investing in yourself. You know that this platform is all about allowing the humans to be human, to give them a space to share their heart, share their mind, and share what's really happening behind the scenes. I think it's so easy in the climate we live in to get lost in clickbait and articles and views, and often that stops us from actually getting to understand someone and see someone for who they are. And today's guest is someone that I've been wanting on the show for years. So I'm extremely happy and extremely present, even more than ever because this has been an opportunity I've been looking forward to. Today, I'm talking to the one and only Michael B. Jordan, a director, actor, producer who's recognized as an industry leader invested in bringing social change to Hollywood through his art and philanthropy. Making his feature film directorial debut, Michael B. Jordan recently reprised the role of a Donnis Creed in Creed three. I'm a big Rocky fan, so when Creed drop, you knew I had to see it, which had the biggest opening weekend for a Creed film and biggest domestic opening for a sports movie ever ever of all time. I just going to clarify that. Up next, Michael B. Jordan is set to start in Ryan Coogler's next feature film for Warner Brothers, and Michael B. Jordan also was named one of Times one hundred most Influential People of twenty twenty three, he's been recognized as People's twenty twenty Sexiest man Alive.
Speaker 2: My team went on.
Speaker 1: About this and one of the New York Times twenty five Greatest Actors of the twenty first century. And now he's got a new health drink count and you know I'm a big fan of health and wellness. It's called Moss, the first of its kind, Sea Moss Beverage available nationwide. As you're listening on watching today, Welcome to the show, Michael B.
Speaker 4: Jordan.
Speaker 2: Mike, it's great to have you.
Speaker 4: Very appreciate it, Man, that introduction is great. I just carry you around with me everywhere I go and just introduce me places. But no, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me man.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to add also, like in the few moments we've spent together, even just walking in, you know, if I can add to that intro, you know, extremely humble, gracious and like thoughtful, like it's it's almost a nice meeting that and I and I love that this platform is a space that can come out and we were just talking about that. You were saying that you know, you've almost been looking for a space where you can share that because.
Speaker 2: You don't do a lot of press.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: You know, it's seasons for it, you know, obviously, you know when you have a project coming out or something you need to promote. You know, there's it's a part of that, that news cycle. But for me personally, I try to you know, kind of say to myself a little bit and and very cautious of how you want people to get to know you, you know, when you have opportunities to speak and share things about yourself and not kind of you know, be a part of sometimes other people's agenda.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So so that's uh.
Speaker 3: But but been a big, big fan of yours for for a long time and the work that you've done and you are currently doing, and it felt like this was a good good time to you know, to get out and talk and and uh, you know, share some things about me. I guess you know, I've a it's been it's been a journey. You know, it's been it's been a journey. So uh, you know, this is a nice little check in point.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I love that well, I appreciate the trust and I love that checking point because it must be fascinating to look back at something and then think about where you were in life, what was going on in your mind. So I wanted to start with there was this one thing you said in an interview, and we were talking about this earlier, this idea of written versus being able to explain, and there was this great point you made that I think people wouldn't recognize with the amount of success you've had, the hits you've had. You know, I think people want to know about you and learn about you. But you said, when you come from where I come from and everybody doesn't get those breaks that luck, you start to question why am I successful in life? Why did I go this way and everybody went that way? And I just thought that that was, you know, again extremely humble and also representative of where you grew up, how you came up, Like which way did everyone go and where did that luck begin for you?
Speaker 3: You know, I think coming up in North New Jersey, coming up in that environment, and you know, having you know, when you're younger, you know you're living life. You know you're taking it a day at a time. You know you're going a boat, well practice, you're going to school, you know you're going to church, you know you're you're Yeah. For me, it was you know, taking a lot of trips to New York City, going on auditions at a really really young age and just figuring out what what what that is? Having having parents pretty aware, you know, and and very present in my life, you know, growing up. Uh, you know, that was that was rare amongst my family, amongst my friend group, you know, having both parents that was there and very present and aware of my environment as well. You know what what uh, you know, being told to look out for these things and uh make good choices, to be disciplined, to be focused on things, you know, get your school, you know, all the the you know, the the positives and in growing up in an environment like that, and you know, hats off to my parents and to uh to sacrifice so much to make sure their kids, you know, were safe and grew up and you know, and you know, grew up in an environment ain't easy making ends meet, you know, grew up very poor, but didn't.
Speaker 4: Feel like it. You know what I'm saying. It was very you know, I think they did a good job at hiding those things. You know. I think as we get older, we look back.
Speaker 3: It was like, oh man, we went through that or that's why we slept in the kitchen at one time with the oven open, or oh, that's when we stayed at Grandma's house for like, you know, a couple of weeks when you you know, so you get that reflection of how we kind of grew up. And and I think for me, you know, always having a you know, a bigger purpose, I think, or just you know, just that optimism.
Speaker 4: You know that that I was a big dreamer as.
Speaker 3: A kid, and I think, you know, you start to not just to focus on the just the work of it all. But since I was working such a young age, that's the thing that I can kind of point to of, you know, booking auditions and getting this job and traveling to this place and experiencing these things and coming back home with these experiences and not having a lot of people who could relate or could you know, I could soundboard off of. And I think in feeling like that, you don't want to alienate those people, you know, And I think, and this is all I guess, in hindsight, you don't share these stories as much. You know, maybe you should because you don't want somebody to feel like inadequate or you know, not being able to have that experience that you might have had. And I think, you know, that's snowballs. As you get older and from stepping stone to stepping stone, as as I continue to be successful at at at a young age, you start to question why am I being so successful? And the people that look just like me, that are right next to me and these everyday things aren't necessarily doing that or not choosing to you know, just didn't have those options that were laid out to them.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I think it you start to doubt yourself for whatever reason, or feel guilty for.
Speaker 2: The things that you may or may not have, even.
Speaker 3: Though you know, our parents were people of service, you know, block parties or you know, cooking church dinners or.
Speaker 4: You know whenever.
Speaker 3: You know, my house was the house that everybody came to at some point, whether we were going to get pizza that night, or Dad was going to take everybody camping or going to these things like it was that was kind of my house, within within my neighborhood and community. And and so I think for me being a person of service kind of because you know, it's kind of comes from how I was raised. And and those are the examples that I knew growing up. I always felt lucky too. As you become more successful and you you see less people look like you that are being successful in this in this realm, and you end up being the one guy that looks like me that successful or the couple guys that are the usual suspects that you see in the audition room or in things of that nature. You know, you start to sometimes question.
Speaker 4: Why, why why are you now? I can?
Speaker 3: I feel as though it was my It was my path, you know, it was my purpose and spirituality and growing up in a in a household that was very focused on you know, you know, church and spiritual and meditation and and and just being.
Speaker 4: Aware of the world that we live in.
Speaker 3: You know, I felt I was destined for for something, not knowing what that was, but just something.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean when I'm when I'm hearing that, it sounds like I love what you said. You were like you know, they hit we were poor and we didn't even see that. But this idea of like you sound So when I when I see you talk about your family, and for those of you're watching, you can see it on Mike's face. But there's so much joy and there's bliss and there's like a there's like a happiness when you're looking back on that time, Like I can see it's a positive experience because of how you feel you've been loved and cared for and supported, even though the resources may not have been there or the access or opportunities. And I was wondering when I was listening to you, like, is there a memory or an experience from your childhood that you think defines who you are today? Like, was there a memory or a story that you have in your mind of an experience you went through that you think brings out maybe that service element or brings out that purposeful element.
Speaker 3: And I think there's this blissedness, this this appreciation for how I grew up comes in hindsight, you know, like you know the first time you have a moment where you're like pick up the phone, you know, one morning you just call your mom and be like thank you.
Speaker 4: I get it, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry for for being that kid at some point, and I'm so sorry for not understanding.
Speaker 4: I totally get what you guys are going through.
Speaker 2: Sheesh. I love you guys.
Speaker 3: You know, like you have those moments when you get older, you know that you just can't really have that perspective when you're When you were a kid, and I think, you know, I was very mischievous, you know as well. And I think there were moments when my dad disciplined me, you know, for for for whatever the you know, whatever I did at that time, and then my mom would have a conversation around the why and then being also forced or pushed and nudged into a space where you had to acknowledge your siblings also, you know, in that situation and the importance of family and what that means. You know, my parents have different upbringings, you know what I'm saying from you know, uh, and different families structures growing up, but one thing they've always provided us with is just a sense of like family over everything, you know, and how important that is, and that just kind of kept the groundedness to me throughout. So I think just the experiences of just family.
Speaker 2: I like your point of behind sight.
Speaker 1: I've definitely made that call to my mom for sure, Like, yeah, I made that call to my mom when we were on the same age. So for me, it's like I've made that call and I think I made it probably like twenty five. It was probably around them when I finally made that call, And not that I did love my mom before that, of course I did, but it was like that honest understanding of just how hard it was to do what she did because she was raising two kids, she was dropping us to school, picking us up. She was the breadwinner of the family. She made us breakfast, lunch, and dinner fresh every day. And you don't recognize that as a kid. You don't realize the sacrifice, the hustle and always making you feel loved on top of doing all of that. It's hard work. You've talked to you said that now you feel you've got to a place that it's your path. What was that switch for you that went from like I don't deserve this God, like I feel out of place, I'm lucky, to being like, no, actually, now I see it as this was meant to be my path because I think a lot of people and a lot of our listeners will be there, like a lot of people are like they're making moves and maybe their first person in their family to go to college, or maybe they're the first person who started up a business as an entrepreneur, or maybe one of our listeners is trying to break generational trauma and they're the first person to spot it. Yes, but then they all live in that space like can I do this? Like am I the one to do this? And so what was it that made that switch from like I'm not sure I'm the guy, but oh it is my path.
Speaker 3: It's the sum of all things leading up into that point. I think it's all the doubt. It's the impostor syndrome. It's the blessings that you can't really accept fully. And you listen to other people's who are successful, or you see examples that you kind of feel connected to, like man, that that kind of feels like me, or what he just said or what she just said. I kind of I resonate with that, you know, I feel like that Sometimes you know other people who are looking at you saying, no, Mike, this is what you have, this is what you can be, this.
Speaker 4: Is what you are. Nah, nah, I can't know that. That's too good.
Speaker 2: No, that ain't me.
Speaker 3: You know, your own presence in a situation where you have to step back and look at yourself.
Speaker 2: And be like, am I this guy right now? Like, oh man, there's a room.
Speaker 3: Full of people who showed up because it's something I'm doing and they're in service or in support of my idea, my thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, that looks and feels like I'm the guy.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're in I'm in the industry where you know, you're the success of your work and your art has been you know, dictated and validated by other people's opinions, and whether those opinions are factual or projected on you from their own individual perspective. I think it's it was a combination of all those things. And I've always been curious and walked towards the how do I make myself better? What are the things that I need, the tools that I need in order to improve myself the way I think, the way how do I maximize myself? You know, so from I think getting a you know, an executive coach, you know who talks to executives all day and and and you know how to create healthy conversations, the right type of conversations that have as you're building a team around you, because.
Speaker 4: You know, as you know, it's not just us, you know, we have an.
Speaker 3: Entire team of people that surround us that help us achieve our dreams and get the big idea done. A spiritual advisor, a spiritual coach that I have who you know helps me, uh do my energy work, my spiritual work, and and and and help sift through the noise and and and and find those things. And I think it wasn't until I had, you know, roles that challenged my spirit and myself in a real way that that that that and the weight and where the attention was so loud that it was you know, it was deafening, and it was and I couldn't you know, see clearly. And you know these champagne problems, you know what I'm saying. You know, you know that like you know, we're blessed, so but the weight is so heavy, you know, and people sometimes think and they see what we have or what you know, or what we're you know, what we're doing, and it's like, oh, just be grateful, you know, or just you know, what are you complaining about?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And and you know most people wouldn't be to walk, you know, a block in our shoes, you know, with with this stuff. And I think it was and you have moments where you you resent things and you're angry at you know, the feelings that you accumulate for not being clear or or not understanding you know why this. There's a lot of wise and you're not going to get all the answers, but you want to, you know, be able to get to a place where you're you're clear.
Speaker 4: So to answer a question, when did I decide? When did I like, you know, when did I feel like that?
Speaker 3: Maybe two years ago, maybe a year ago. You look at where your family has come from, and shit, look at your bloodline. You know you look you look at you know your community. You're like, man, there's a cycle there from generation to generation that happens when you get to yourself.
Speaker 2: And you're like, man, can I stop this?
Speaker 4: Can I change this?
Speaker 2: I could do this.
Speaker 3: Once you it's like once you, once you know better, you got to almost do better. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. And I refuse to ignore it. I refuse to see it an opportunity that I had to change things and act like it didn't exist. And I think that was the thing for me that I was like, nah, I gotta, I gotta If that's my purpose, if that's my path is to just see it and I can see the pieces and that if I can just continue to do this, or if I stay down the pathway on that and I might be able to make a big difference in my nephew's life or my my future children's, my future grandchildren's life. I gotta do that because there's been so many people that might that didn't that that it wasn't the perfect storm for them to have that opportunity.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the right time in the world.
Speaker 3: Technology wasn't there, the resources, the right social conversations are being had for for us to have these platforms and speak and be successful the.
Speaker 4: Way we are. You know, you gotta you gotta do it.
Speaker 3: And I think that was a big part of it, you know, you know, understanding my own mortality, you know, and understanding you know, you know, life isn't you know, isn't a forever thing. And I think that happens when you get older too, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, just turned thirty seven, and it's like, wow, I vividly remember, you know, fifteen, I vividly remember twenty one. I remember vividly remember twenty five, thirty, you know, And I used to look at thirty five thirty seven like like ancient you know, what I'm saying, and I'm like, oh man, we're here, and it's like, you gotta do what you gotta do while you're here and make an impact. You gotta fulfill your You got to fulfill yourself whatever that may be, you know.
Speaker 4: And uh and I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that that moment for me where it was like, Okay, I can do this. I can Maybe a couple of years ago, I think it was like right as I was stepping into directing Creed three and the weight of that and being the captain of the ship the first time being the captain of the ship in the you know, I've made movies before, you know, I've done that. I know what that's like, but I've never ever been the director, you know, the captain of the ship. And I think that responsibility, that pressure that you know, I'm not a dad, you know, but being everybody's looking to you for the answer, for the solve, for the leadership. And I think that really thrust me into a mindset of of leadership that I never quite had the opportunity to do before.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so much in that great I like it.
Speaker 1: I prefer it that way because I'm connecting all the dots as you're speaking, and there's a I mean, there's so many things I want to unpacked with that. One of the things that really resonated is this idea that you had to challenge yourself, you had to do something out of your comfort zone, in order to even recognize that you could become, that you could be, and that you could develop. And often we're waiting to become before we take on the challenge. But it's the challenge that makes us become that person. And I think we resist even what you said earlier about the opportunities, this idea that if you have opportunity, and there's an Eastern spiritual teaching which talks about if you have opportunities and you don't take them, that's a disservice to humanity because they're opening up to you without your even without your will. Sometimes right like there's some of us and we'll sabotage ourselves because we'll say, oh, well, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't ask for that. I didn't I didn't know that was for me.
Speaker 1: And so I love the idea of anyone who's listening or watching what Mike saying, I love the idea of leaning into that opportunity that is opening up for you.
Speaker 2: And even if you.
Speaker 1: Don't have the skills and you don't have the talent yet, or you don't have all of the tools and the abilities, it's going to.
Speaker 2: Force you to develop them for sure.
Speaker 1: And you talk about the coaching, I want to go back to then and ask you about that, because you want to be better mentally, physically, spiritually. It's it's a big part of who you are. And even the projects you take on which I want to dive into that you said roles that challenge your spirit, Even that idea that you're looking at a role not as oh, what's the next movie to get me the thing, it's like, oh, that's going to challenge my spirit. I wanted to ask what has been your best habit or tool uniquely that you've developed for your body, your mind, and your spirit individually. What have been things that you've done with your coaches in different areas that you think has brought about new epiphanies, opportunities and ideas. What have been those tools and hacks that maybe people could lock into as well.
Speaker 3: I think there's this woman, Ramona Oliver, that have known me in my entire life. You know, she's my spiritual advisor and coach. And you know, I think starting the day, you know, in meditation, you know you're taking a moment to clear yourself and prepare yourself for the day. It's so important to step out of your home with intent and intention. A lot of times it's what are you projecting on a situation to help it manifest instead of negatively thinking about things that can help block your blessings. You know, that's a big thing, you know. So so I think, I think and we all have moments of negativity. That's part of it. You know, it's ying yang. You're never going to fully get rid of that. But to practice those things in the morning, I think was a big help for me.
Speaker 4: You know, you shoot movies and you're doing things, you're walking out.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's there's your stories of people that just can't get a break sometimes and and for whatever reason, it could be from stepping off the curve, twisting the ankle to you know, the parking ticket, to the thing to the oh, I just can't get a break. And there's certain people that carry this cloud, you know, And I think some of that can be contributed to the thought process and the thinking and.
Speaker 4: The energy that you're putting into these things. And and it's sometimes easier said than done.
Speaker 3: But to stop up and to reframe and to clear yourself into you know, no, I'm walking in this light today, and see how much of a difference that can make. And more on the structurally side, this guy Drew Coogler, who no relation to Ryan Coogler, who was a uh, you know, executive coach and and you know, as my ambitions grew from a production company to brand marketing consulting companies to you know, just the products and the businesses, you know, the conversations I need to have with the team, you know, and leadership and the everybody's coming from different backgrounds, and how do you speak everybody's love language because everybody You have to speak differently a little bit to everybody so they could receive it the way you meant it, you know. And I think having the quality of conversations is something that was really helpful for me, meaningful conversations and giving people the space to hear me and also hold them accountable to the things that I need to hold them accountable for. I think though the combination of the two allowed me to look at situations and opportunities differently for people to look at me differently, because it's also a troubling thing when you're walking around as talent for a long time.
Speaker 2: That's how they see you, you know, and have an identity, have an identity.
Speaker 3: That's how that's what they're So there's this there's these kid gloves that come along with that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying that is it's not everybody's fault. That's everybody's in a role. You have to sometimes just step back and look at the thing that we're in, you know, like we're in an industry you know that has generations and generations of taught behavior and practices that any positive disruptor has to understand those things in order to disrupt them in a way and evolve them. You know, and things are evolving, you see it. You know, the things are evolving in a way, and if you can look at it in it, you know, in a higher way, I think you can find your way through that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that resonates. There's a You remind me of this beautiful statement from Mark Twain where he said that history never repeats itself, but it always rhymes. And I find like when you were talking about the industry. I was thinking about how if you don't study history, you have the rhyme happening in your life. But then you can't interrupt the patent. So if you were a young star, which you were. I love The Wire as well. I've been a fan of the show. It's like, so you start in this industry early, and then you could spend years trying to figure out why you still have the kid gloves on. Yeah, because you haven't studied that. Wait a minute, that's what happens that unless you disrupt the pattern, present yourself differently, show more of yourself, people are always going to say he's talent, he's an actor, that's that's what he does, as opposed to oh he's a director, Oh he's an entrepreneur, as he's an investor. Right, I know you have lots of investments all again in the healths space, like sports teams, and we're talking about mass as well. So it's it's interesting how much if you don't study the history of our industry, we get locked in the identity of the role we've played.
Speaker 2: In that space, correct forever, correct, And it's so.
Speaker 1: Easy for us to get used to feeling and often we do it to ourselves because it's comfortable playing the same role and there's a familiar feeling of when I play this role. And I felt that in my own small way, like when I went from having to create content to get my message out there, even though I wanted to do TV or film or whatever and couldn't get a break, and so I went to content and then I launched a podcast and I told you about why we launched this podcast earlier, and then I wrote books and it was like every time it was like, oh, like, oh, we thought Jay was this, Oh he's actually there. Oh, And I've had to go through that. I've realized the hardest part is you letting go of.
Speaker 3: That identity and reinventing yourself, allowing yourself right Yeah, no, no, definitely, Like I mean have you ever like, you know, has the podcast been something you always wanted to do And this is me just just curious or is it something that you had to read you forced yourself to read to reinvent yourself in a way, because this isn't it for you? Yeah, And you know what I'm saying, I know it's not you know that this is this is a stop for you. This is this is a chapter in your book. Did you ever think I have to reinvent myself or is that a product of the things that we're telling you no or the things that was challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question. I think it's a mix of them all. But the thing that kind of like supersedes all of them, which I try and tap into, which I think you resonate with, because I think that's the conversation we're having, is having a connection with your intuition. Like for me, it's I'm not looking at like what's the next trend or like how do I disrupt myself? Because to me, those things are still following other patterns, gotcha? Whereas it's intuitively going like what is what is the thing that I bring or what do I want to do?
Speaker 2: What is the.
Speaker 1: Missing piece of the puzzle that I believe I have a unique qualification to fill because if I'm always looking around, there will always be a million things. Like I always say to people, if you go to a real estate conference, you'll realize you don't invest enough in real estate, Yeah, you go. If you go to a cryptocurrency conference, you'll feel like, oh crap, I didn't do this and if you, like, if I sit with a group of actors, I'll.
Speaker 4: Be like, oh, man, I should have said.
Speaker 1: You're always going to feel the deficiency of the trend that you study, correct, And so if you live that way around, it gets really complicated because then you're like, well, do I do this or do I do that? Like whereas when you go inward, it's like, oh, I feel alignment with this right now because it lets me express myself, lets me connect with people in a certain way. I feel I'm at the right evolution in my journey where it can manifest as opposed to like, oh, let me just figure out what the next big thing.
Speaker 3: Is that if that makes so much sense, bro, And I think that's what it is, is like your alignment with where you you feel truthful, you know, and sometimes that always doesn't mean you're going to be financially okay as well. You know, you know, you can feel inspiraucally in line and everything and mortgagees do you know rent is due?
Speaker 2: You feel?
Speaker 3: I mean, so there's that element of it as well that you have to find your your way through. Yeah, that that that intuition that that north star is what is something that has led me all types of places that I wouldn't trade in for the world. You know, just that feeling of this feels right, and I know doesn't make sense. Probably there's probably some other things on paper that that seems like the better option or choice, but this feels right and and you know, more often.
Speaker 4: Than not, you know it's it's been the right move. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love what you were saying earlier about how the thought process is such a powerful way of breaking out over the cloud of your head. And I think we all have moments where the cloud feels like it's never moving, it's constantly raining on you. And I think a lot of people are listening may feel that way, Like.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in that place?
Speaker 1: And how have you What has helped with your thought process is you've been tuning that what's worked for you at least.
Speaker 4: That's your moment, that's your moment.
Speaker 3: It's not that all is lost when you're feeling the most trapped and down and nothing can't go right. I feel like those are the moments that define you, those of those character canon moments that are like what am I going to do now? You know, how do you respond to that?
Speaker 4: And thinking your way, feeling your way working your way through those things.
Speaker 3: On the other side, it's like, you know, I don't know who said the saying, but like usually you know you're the closest to getting what you want. It's always the hardest. It's always the feeling when you're getting ready to you know, people give up right before they get what they've always want.
Speaker 4: Wanted to get. People quit and they give up.
Speaker 3: And I will not be the person who quit before I got what I wanted or what I needed or what I felt I was supposed to have, you know, Like and if that wasn't for me, it wasn't for me. I'm gonna keep grinding. I'm gonna keep knocking on the door until I get what I feel. That's been something I've always felt, having the name Michael Jordan and understanding that there's another guy out there named Michael Jordan and.
Speaker 4: That was the best ever to do something.
Speaker 3: And being teased and picked on about that, and and and and made me for a moment not wanting to play sports. But then it was like, nah, I'm actually gonna make sure I'm competitive. I'm gonna compete. At least I'm gonna compete. You're gonna at least see me. I'm gonna be somebody that it's not gonna be. Oh his name is this, it's gonna be Oh no, but he can play, or oh no he can Oh he had he has something about him, something that is formidable, that is above average, that is that is unique to him.
Speaker 4: And again gave me a healthy chip.
Speaker 3: You know, so so and And for the people who are listening, who you know, who do have you know that doesn't feel like they can change the circumstances with the way they think or they feel, just hold on, Just endure, endure, you know, look at things differently. Challenge yourself to look at things as the glass have full. Challenge yourself to think four steps ahead, think your way through it. Like now, we have so many tools, we have so much information. There's a lot of misinformation out there, but there's so much information too to be curious. Find something that you that does resonate with you, even if it's not in the world that you ever thought you would be in. Find something that you align with. And because everybody aligns with something, that's not an excuse. I'm gonna I'm willing to take from anybody you know, align with something and find your find your positivity, find your intuition within that thing, and and be obsessed about it.
Speaker 2: What have you been obsessed with lately?
Speaker 1: Like, what would you say is the thing you're most obsessed with right now or that you have been in the past couple of years that it's kind of just.
Speaker 3: Man, I've been obsessed with getting my team right. I've been obsessed with getting the right personnel on the right brain frequency and getting everybody on the same page to.
Speaker 4: Accomplish these things that we need.
Speaker 3: To go accomplish because I truly believe it's going to be better for everyone.
Speaker 4: I think it's really going to make an impact, you know.
Speaker 3: And so there's there's a there's a obsessiveness that you got to have to over communicate, to follow up, to be redundant, to be consistent you know that you need. And I'm obsessed about it, you know, Strengthening my family, I'm obsessed over it, you know, to lead by example, you know, and break generational trauma and curses over it. And I'm obsessed over every project that I lend myself to. So this next movie that me and Ryan's doing, I'm literally you know, I'm growing on my stuff out you know what I mean, my air and stuff that now I'm becoming obsessed with it, you know, and that character and it's it's a it's an addictive feeling to have a thought and see it come to fruition, to create something out of out of you know, out of an from an idea, and to be persistent and to see it and to manifest it, you know, manifestation.
Speaker 4: You love it, you know what I mean. It's cool.
Speaker 3: So so that's something that I've been I've been really really locked in with, and I think it's also something that it's going to help people. You know, there's there's always a I don't want anything that's not multi hyphening. I want I want anything that I'm involved in it. It has to have layers to it, you know. How do you help? How do you educate? What's to leave behind? What blueprint am I leaving for the next generation? You know, I got a nephew now, you know that is looking up at me constantly, Yes, because of height, but also because of the example, you know, and he's mimicking everything I do. He're mimicking anything. I can say something, do something, I can sit a certain type of way.
Speaker 2: Doing it too.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: So it clarifies your intention when you do things because you want it to have you know, purpose and intention, you know. So those are the things. And I'm obsessed with being the best version of myself and that's a daily thing, you know, And some days are better than others, finding myself in.
Speaker 4: A world where there's so many.
Speaker 3: Seen opinions about yourself, when everybody's telling you who and what you are, you know, learning how to live, you know, growing up in it, like and it's so wild. I've been doing this for twenty five years straight, you know, and that's a wild thing to think about. The man, more than half of my life has been my identity has been through the work that I've been doing and growing up and with you know, social media what didn't exist and now it does at a point where I'm old enough to understand what that can do. So I'm obsessed with finding myself now after and not having to prove anything to anybody other than myself and my family, you know, but really myself, and realizing that that is enough, you know what I'm saying, Like that, like giving your best is enough, and sometimes we lose track.
Speaker 4: Of that, you know, And and yeah, so for anybody out there, you know you're enough.
Speaker 2: Man, absolutely, let's let's toast, just toasted. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, shake it up, it out, yeah man.
Speaker 3: And this is the pure So we have three flavors right now, the mango, ginger, the pomegrant.
Speaker 4: But this is the wet appreciation.
Speaker 2: Bro, I'm excited to dry it. Oh that's good. That's easy, easy, it's easy.
Speaker 3: And anybody else had like fresh yeah sea moss in the past, they might not have. They might not had a good experience becausey either, they like they kind of tried to clean it and process it themselves. Smooth, smooth, don't taste like the ocean. But it tastes a little you know, it's it's a little heightened.
Speaker 2: Like it's refreshing. It's smooth, and it's easy. That's how I feel about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is like and it's a great mixture, you know. You know, I don't know if you know you want to do it.
Speaker 3: We call them moss tails, but like if you want to do like mocktails moss tails, you know what I'm saying, Or if you want to mix them like with drinks, like with with the spirits and stuff like that. It's a really good Uh yeah, man, I just this this this is five years of obsession.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know obviously when you know, health scares all over the place, people, you know, not a lot of information on what's really going on, what can help, what cannot help. I was, you know, finishing up a movie in Berlin, and you know, doing my own stunts, not sleeping a lot in a feig place.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Food was really wasn't really my thing as much, and I was looking for something to kind of just help me get through my shoot days. And I was just chug se mars, like I mean, by the jar, just because I mean I was up. It's got to be doing good. I know it's doing good, you know, just.
Speaker 4: By the jar.
Speaker 3: And and and then you know, almost the flight home, it was like, it's got to be a better way. So I started making smoothie, started you know, blending them in. And my sister was pregnant with my nephew, Lennox at the time, so you know, at that point, everybody was in their own bubble, you know, and you know, you know, it wasn't able to kind of visit many people, so we would just blend up smoothies, drop them off at the front door.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: That was my little care package that I would do. I would do I would do sea moss, and I would do like a you know, a homemade little pasta. And that was my active service for my.
Speaker 4: Family, you know.
Speaker 3: So so so that that labor of love, that that that kind of uh it started from a place of just trying to help my family just like, you know, stay healthy during the pandemic, and it slowly evolved in something that I wanted to get you know, make it accessible to everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for people who don't know the benefits of seamos, what are some of the things and the properties.
Speaker 3: It's that cognitive brain, you know, it's that clarity, uh, your your your immune system. So being able to harvest them in a way that that gets those nutrients inside of this drink in your daily dose of moss is something that I was really really exciting me about. Just like making a beverage about.
Speaker 2: It is great too. It's just there, you know, it makes you want to drink more of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and yeah it's good man, it's good and and it's it's uh yeah, I'm proud of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, proud of congratulations. Now we know we got to go to yours man we left.
Speaker 1: We love to do a mostel now with it's Junia must Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I love it because Aswanda, we got a Swanda in ours as well and gin sync, so I mean you got all the adaptogens in it, so that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's been.
Speaker 1: It's been a labor of love for us too. It's like me and my wife always talked about it as our COVID baby. It's like, there's what we were working on because we were the same. We've been addicted to tea our whole lives and we did a hot tea as well. But we were like, you know, for a lot of people, their hot drink is coffee, and we're like, well, wait a minute, what if your soda could mean healthy for you and good for you? And you know, how can we do it where it has you know, zero grams of sugar, Like how do you still get it to taste great with no sugar? Because me and my wife are both off of refined sugars and trying to be healthy and.
Speaker 2: All the rest of it.
Speaker 1: And then you realized that all the sodas you're drinking a full of it, So how do we make it easy for people to understand these herbs.
Speaker 2: And these adaptogens?
Speaker 1: And you know, because a lot of people we grew up with it. We were lucky in our culture and Indian culture. You grow up with a lot of these herbs and spices in your daily food exactly. But a lot of people have access to that. So it's like, how do you make it easy when people may not have in their kitchen? So yeah, man, I'll send you some to try later.
Speaker 4: Please do you got that guy in there and everything? And I love this, man.
Speaker 1: I was loving what you were saying about the building of teams because and something you said was like, how do you keep everyone on like the same frequency and like attract those people? And I went I went through a big thing for that in a certain part of my work around two years ago. A lot of people that are in my sphere today, some of them have been around since the beginning and some of them came on in the last two years. And it has been life changing, like absolutely life changing from an energy standpoint, from a spirit standpoint, and from a productivity effectiveness standpoint. How have you been trained or what do you how do you sense beyond like someone being able to do the job obviously, How have you been able to learn how to sense or understand whether someone's on that same brain wave and as you said, or brain energy as you are, and has that same value you said that you have.
Speaker 3: I think it's a lot of conversations and and and sometimes trial and error. I think my my intuition and my gut is the first you know, litnus tests is the first kind of line of defense. You know that I that I have like energies, vibe, you know what I'm saying, Like okay, that that that that you feel on par how you know, how you answer a question?
Speaker 4: What are the things that you're saying? You know? Are you speaking from ego? Are you speaking about you know what?
Speaker 2: What is the what is the thing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: You you know, we're used to we meet so many people. We have to use quick judgments and who gets our time? You know, who do you open up to?
Speaker 4: Who do you not? And I think when it comes.
Speaker 3: To building into a team, especially nowadays, you're coming into something that's that's well oiled. You're coming into a machine already, So you have to fit not just with me, but you have to kind of fit with everybody. You know, you have to know how to communicate the things you need to know how to communicate to you have to The ego is something that can get in a lot of people's way when joining a team and joining something that's already really established. And I think, I think I'm coming to a place of learning and listening is really important and not taking things personally, I think, I think, uh, and then it's something to the people that's already been in the team to understand that there's gonna be additions and there is a process of there's an onboarding, there's a welcome, there's a thing that you have to to bring people into the fold in a way to get the best out of them. So I think there's been there's been those learning things along the way that's really that really helped me identify people who that fit and work well within the circle, you know. And and uh, yeah, I think that's been my my kind of process thus far. And then yeah, I always want to create environment where people want to be. You know, you're not here for a check. You're here because you believe in what we're doing and what we want to do. And I'm pretty transparent about those things, you know, so so I think I think just being extremely transparent and forward with those things and and know that there's nothing personal. This doesn't it, you know, like I'm the best, I'm the I'm a god that's always going to give you a great recommendation, you know what I mean? Like I want I want people to win, you know, at the end of the day, I want people to win, and seeing somebody in their strengths, you know, and being like, Okay, I can use that that, this, this, this would be helpful in this way, and if that works out, it works out, and if not, then man, man, I want to see you do well.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We I remember years ago I was listening to Eric Schmidt, who is the Sea of Google for a bit and he was talking about how they were looking for smart creatives and I love that that. They had two words that kind of summed up what they looked for. They look for people who are smart creatives, and for me, it became humble champions.
Speaker 2: I was like, I want humble winners. I want I want the people who.
Speaker 1: Can who want to win and have that ambition, but are able to put their ego aside, because then we're going to speed up getting there because the thing that slows you down from winning is ego, Like the thing that stops you from passing the ball is ego, or you know, bowing out and saying it's your turn is ego and so. But but you still have to have that champion mindship because it isn't just about oh yeah, no, no, no, you do it your thing like and that was a big thing.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing that worked for me was I was like, I need to work.
Speaker 1: With people that I could go to breakfast, lunch or dinner with If it didn't work together, Yes, man, who I actually want to go to breakfast, lunch and dinner with this person because I probably will be when I'm traveling or on the road. That means I like spending time with them, which means I'm haby to coach them and I'm happy to learn from them exactly whereas if I don't want to. And initially I was like that I used to just hire people who are great at what they did. We didn't really have chemistry, like, we didn't. We didn't we couldn't hang out. And that wasn't because they were wrong. It was also because I wasn't aware gotcha. And then of course, yeah, the mission, the purpose is I mean, that's core and central and.
Speaker 3: Because even for you, I mean you spend time from your family. You know, your team becomes your extended family. They absolutely they are your family, eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You know, like there's there's a part of you that you know, it has to feel like I'm getting a little bit of my family here.
Speaker 4: And if it's not that, you know, it's really hard for me. You know.
Speaker 3: And obviously, like you know, you have a bigger company and there's employees and you're not going to be as personal with everybody within the company. You know, you don't have a brefluence to dinner with everybody. But but there's a there's a there's a feeling of you know, I don't mind on a Sunday everybody at my house watching the game, spending time because that's when not the nine to five time to be creative or the nine to five time to do the job, that's the that's the extra mile. That's the Oh I had this idea and I was just thinking, oh, oh, we're looking at something together and this would be great. The best ideas sometimes come from those just hangout moments and those moments where you're just spending time with with with people that you work with.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think that, Yeah, you're right, that's that's really important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Before the obsession point that came up, which which was fascinating, I'm glad I asked you that and you went you went into it. You're talking about like, you know, you live in an industry, and you talked about social media where people having a pin interview people even an opinion. It's that people have a lens because they've seen you in a particular light. And I was wondering, like, what do you think something that people get right about you? And what's something that people someone's get wrong about you? Like, what do you feel like when it comes to that, Like, I'll tell you mine, Like I feel like for me, a lot of people think that I get like often because of what I teach and what I'm sharing and what I'm guiding. It's like, oh, well, Jay must get everything perfect all the time, and like you know, it's like super deep and like always just saying profound things. And that's not true obviously, because as much as that is who I am and that is my heart I'm not always like that, Like I have, I have bad days, I have bad moods, I have off days.
Speaker 2: I have days when I'm not feeling that way right.
Speaker 1: And so that's something that people get wrong about me sometimes in that perception because but I'm dedicated to this work, I'm obsessed with it. I'm obsessed with being better. But that doesn't remove me from having flaws and weaknesses.
Speaker 2: And so, yeah, you should do.
Speaker 4: Alo you should do. I'll take real of those moments. Yes, your team catch you in these little moments, and you should pull one out. That'll be fun. That'll be fun. I like that. I like that, that'd be a good one.
Speaker 3: I think for me, it is like I think I've intentionally stayed out the way so much where I'm not giving anybody any anything to go off of other than what I want you to know. You know, I think I think that's been it for a long time. I've always had the approach of like not speaking on things and not giving them life. You know, there's there's there's going to be perspectives and there's things about you that just aren't true. Uh do you do you care to correct somebody or not? You know, because most of the time, people's minds are made up. No matter what you say, it is what it's going to be. You know, stay out the comment section, you know what I mean. You get some great entertainment in there, but then you can get a lot of stuff that is just people who want to project the thing that's going to get the most attention. And the issue that I have with a lot of that is they can be completely false. And we have an industry of we were talking earlier, the lack of journalism, the skill of that that will run with those things knowing that there is.
Speaker 4: No basis to them.
Speaker 3: But now that's a narrative that's attached to you that you have to be strong enough and strong minded enough to ignore knowing it's not true, or this human nature feeling of wanting to know that's not true.
Speaker 4: I want people to know this about.
Speaker 2: Me, and I've always walked on that line of.
Speaker 3: You know, not caring, trying not to care, and knowing that I'm enough and knowing my truth and the people who know me know me. You know I am about my community and my people, you know, wholeheartedly, and a lot of the choices that I make and the things that I want to do and be a part of is in service of that bigger picture, you know, of helping that you know, my community in a big way. So I think the biggest thing sometimes if they ever feel like that they're not my top priority, is maybe one of the biggest misconceptions, you know, the love I have for my community. Regardless of people's approach. I think everybody has a different strategy and approach to how they affect and make change everybody. It doesn't all look the same. And because it may not be typical or the average voice, because the package is different and the craft and my field is different. So I have a different set of boundaries that exist in my lane that I maneuver without in and out of. Like I love playing chess, I love I love I love strategy, I love I love reverse engineering and building things. So I think I think that's one of the biggest things. And you know, sometimes ignorance and a laugh or a joke or a like or a thing we've we've encouraged the behavior of negativity and things and.
Speaker 4: Loudest is the thing, and that's just not what That's not what I'm into. I'm into the love of things.
Speaker 3: I'm into the humanity and bringing people together the best way and been awesome human No.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I mean I also think we've put a false pressure on the definition of authenticity, meaning you share everything with everyone, And I'm not sure I vibe with that definition because I think authenticity, by nature is you sharing what you feel comfortable with each person. That's what it means to be authentic. And you could argue that authentic just means being however you want to be in any given situation.
Speaker 2: And so I think there has become a false pressure of.
Speaker 1: Oh, you gotta show you're authentic by showing every part of yourself. And I don't know if that that triggers anything for you. Is like, what's the definition of authenticity for you?
Speaker 2: Or for me? That's what it is, but what is it for you?
Speaker 3: I think it's But then in hindsight, there's a there's a piece of it that not even just to go back, but there's there's also like maybe that's my insecurity framing. What the loudness of the things that I'm most sensitive of is this noise somehow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it triggers us for a reason. You know what I'm saying, Some stuff that you just go, oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's like that's just like man, like why why does that bother me so much?
Speaker 3: Like there's something that there's something about that that because I know what that does in the bigger like, I'm always thinking bigger picture. It's very rarely that I really focus on the thing. It's always about what's the cause of that in a bigger conversation.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The authenticity to me.
Speaker 3: Is being able to sleep in night, being able to go talk to my mom, and knowing that the people that know me every fiber of my being, my intention, knows my heart through and through that they see the same person. They're able to connect with the same energy and the same vibe in the same spirit. My energy has never changed, you know. I think being authentic to that frequency is super important to me. No matter where I go, no matter how I evolve and have to mature and grow up, I want my energy to always feel the same. That's the way when you meet certain people and it's been years that go by and you pick right back up where you left off, it feels like no time is lost, that energy is never It's always the same. And I love when people I haven't seen in a long time or come and like man, oh it feels you know, it's the same, and that that just lets me know that I'm not losing myself and I'm not losing track of you know, who I am and where I come from. And I am always going to be an agent of change, Trojan horse or not, you know what I'm saying. And and yeah, you're just and continue to lead by example, you know, I know, I know the path that I'm on isn't easy. You know, sometimes you may look easy, you know, uh for the successes or whatever, but but it's behind closed doors I'm doing I'm doing the work. So the future generations have it a little bit easier or have a little bit more tools to use, and they can ask for certain things that won't be like what it'd be almost standard for them, you know.
Speaker 4: And you know, from my vantage point.
Speaker 3: I'm able to see a lot of the road blocks that exist within systems, you know, and paperwork and precedents. I've been chipping away at those where I can in places, and there's so many look, I say aye a lot in this interview. There's so many people out there that are doing that type of work. You know that exist men and women in these places that are breaking down doorriers that are chipping away, say shawshank redemption. You know, rock at a time, gravel at a time. You know, eventually that hole is going to be open, you know what I'm saying. Eventually it's going to be open, but just chipping away. And unfortunately everybody can't be the loudest one in the room. You know, gotta be sometimes you gotta be the choir guy in the room. You gotta listen and look and pay attention and move how you need to move. There's chest pieces that they have different rules and different movements for a reason, you know. And they're on the board in different places for a reason. And and uh, I know my place on the board.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it comes down to, right. It's like, I appreciate you bringing out that point around how things that trigger us give us somewhere to focus on within ourselves. Like I feel like that too, Like I'm like, there's certain things that just don't FaZe me at all, And I can look like the most detached guy and like I'm you know, I'm bulletproof, and there's something that gets through that verse. It's just like and you know, it's because there's a part of it that feels true, and there's a part of you that you've allowed for it to feel true, because it could be that you are there's a part of your self esteem you haven't worked on, there's something you took from your childhood and made true for you, and now when someone else says it and you didn't even know where it came from. But you know, I was talking to a friend the other day and we were talking about how one of his mentors was letting him down, and we discovered in that I've been friends with this guy for like twenty years. We're best mates, and it was like twenty years we figured out that he'd made his mentor his father figure and he didn't really put two and two together until just now, and neither did I for him. And he was like, wait a minute, no, wonder, I'm feeling so much pain with this mentor of mine because I'd made him a father figure and gone through that feeling of he's superman and now realizing he's not, even though I'm a four year old.
Speaker 2: Man for him.
Speaker 1: And so it's just so interesting how the stuff that gets under our skin, it can just be hidden there, and he gets stale and stuck, and then you don't look at it because you're like, oh no, no, it's nothing, it's nothing. But at one point, when you feel safe enough, you have to kind of like look under the hood and go, you know.
Speaker 2: Why is that there?
Speaker 1: But coming on to the point, you were just making around paving the way for others and setting an example and the responsibility that comes with and like you said, there's so many people doing that. I feel like, how would you define your current purpose? Like how do you define with everything you're doing? Because you talked about purpose being a big thing for you, and you talk about the mission of your company, like what is the purpose of that work? Which doors are you trying to open? Which paperwork you're trying to shift, what systems are you trying to affect?
Speaker 4: I think I have my purpose right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think I have a chapter twenty five years acting, you know, producing, you know, being in front of the camera, being talent, learning so much about the world, about myself, about the industry. You know, I think being a representative from my community in a way that places that a black actor hasn't gone You know, obviously you have the grades, you have the Wills and the Denzels. You know what I'm saying that I look up to in a big way that you know that through their talent, the business and the craft has extended to a new height. So they've opened up doors for me that I didn't even know what was possible. That now I was like, oh wow, now we have this and that Now I could do that and do that. So they've kicked the door down in a way that's like, you know, internally grateful. So like leading by example is a big purpose, you know for people to be able to see it, because it was big for me to see it and think that I can do it too.
Speaker 4: So that is that part of it.
Speaker 3: There's the the business side of things that I've got an opportunity to learn from investing your money, you know, what do you do with the savings and the things that you do? Have a big sports guy, you know, I've always wanted to, you know, own a team. I'm competitive. I wanted to be involved in that and that in that environment that energy you know of sports and found a football team you know in Bournemouth and great.
Speaker 4: Football.
Speaker 3: I've literally had to like you know, I cannot say soccer anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh and and great great partner and you know Bill Foley and he owns the Las Vegas Golden Knights, and and really trying to turn that program around and and just just amplify it in a big way. But learning, you know, how to invest than those things. You know, Oh, there's going to be a new stadium. Oh, there's opportunity to invest in real estate. Oh wow, Now invest in real estate and something that's going to be around for you know, however many year lease and this and that. Okay, cool, I could take that and oh wow, investing in you know, started a JV for you know, underneath an umbrella company to have your own product. And then from there you can create another JV. Oh you can invest capital. Oh you can have a venture for oh oh snap, okay, wow. This is a whole other game. There's a whole other nuance of acquisitions and investment in capital that I never even knew exists.
Speaker 4: I'm used to you know, W.
Speaker 3: Nine forums and taxes, you know, like you know what I'm saying on that. You know, on the on the talent side, there's a whole other game to be played and and taking that information, just the information that that exists and what that would do to you know, to to the next generation, you know, knowing what's available to him, knowing that there's other ways to maximize my my brand, you know, your brand, creating things, ownership of things as streamers and studios, and there's there's so many other platforms that are you know, people are content crazy, you know, podcasts. You know, it's become a business as well, you know new you know, a new venture that that people are be able to monetize their own, their own following their own, their own.
Speaker 4: Likeness in a real way. Retirement, What does that look like really?
Speaker 3: You know, do you know really a will well, leaving a will behind like what like I mean, no, I mean there's things that you just don't get taught. You know, there's nobody know so so I've stumbled on it upon it these things within my success and my intuition and my partnerships and my relationships that but again it goes back to like the y me. This one guy you know that has got has gotten access to all these things, and my.
Speaker 4: Man over here, my guy over there, No that you guys would never know about.
Speaker 3: None of these things because of how whatever your life path has taken you is not been in these areas or nobody's at the opportunity to say those things to you. So I put that on me as a purpose to be able to give that information, you know, in a real way and identify the you know, people are hungry enough, and you know that want it. You know that want it, they gotta want it, and they gotta be a Then come on, let's go figure it out, all right. Let me let me, let me figure out how to help set you up with the right people so you got the right conversations, you know, and then you also got to be careful who you help too. You know, you can't you know, you want to help everybody, but you can't help everybody. But you can't leave a blueprint for everyone.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes that's all a person should need sometimes is seeing it and being and the thought. Then you got to leave it on the person to do their their part of the work, to lift that part of the weight, to put on that burden, to go do that for themselves. Their family, they're there, they're they're people within their their circle.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for sure, I like that, man.
Speaker 1: That's I mean it's super powerful because I think, yeah, so many people don't have access, don't understand, don't have the language, don't have the vocabulary. It's a it's a huge purpose. What do you do when it all just gets too much, when you're like it's a lot days, you're busy, you go this gun, Like, what do you do when it gets too much?
Speaker 3: With the first try to go to Japan? I try to get on the first thing smoking to Japan.
Speaker 4: I'm out of here.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's one of the few places that I've been that I feel like I just exist, you know what, Japan. Growing up, I've been obsessed with anime. I'm a big anime guy, you know. So since I was like, you know, eleven, twelve years old, it's been anime, you know, And that's been my cartoons, comic books, anima me that's just like my you know, escapism.
Speaker 4: I'm in that.
Speaker 3: And you know, growing up watching those shows, you they there's so much of their identity and their culture and the dialogue and messaging and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: So I just had this idea of this place in my head that was full of respect, and.
Speaker 3: It was hospitable and hard work and tradition and you know, I mean thousands of years of you know, a couple thousand years of tradition, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That you know that that exists.
Speaker 3: And and I was like, man, I wonder what at this place is going to live up to the expectation. I was the food and the culture, all that good stuff, and uh yeah, when I went, it was it was everything that I thought it would be more, you know, And obviously I went went the right type of way. I you know, I created an anime as well. You know, I wanted to, like, you know, because they're they're they're so loving and and and and welcoming in a really big way. And yeah, for me going there, there's not a you know, a million phones being out everybody. They're very respectful of your space there, and people are going to obviously come up and say what's up. You know that that's going to happen, but it's it's in a way where you don't feel like I have to hide as much. I feel like I walk down the streets there a little bit more loosely. And that's something that you know, I don't really have as much here in La or you know, New York. You get a little bit more of it, you know what I'm saying, you can kind of like you know, because people sometimes whatever keep pushing it, but it's it's a it's a different thing. But something about Japan that was awesome. And you know, in another place that I can't wait to really go is Ghana as well. Dad's been spend a lot of time there. Wow, I haven't like my skip for whatever reason. Every time I'm trying to go, something that I cannot change pops up. But that's a place that people tell me stories of the similar feeling of going there and the love and infinity of being in that place, and I really want to go there as well. So so that that's so if I can't get to Japan, I'm usually at the house. I'm either cooking or playing like Call of Duty.
Speaker 2: I'm playing.
Speaker 4: I'm playing Call of Duty online. You know what I'm saying. My boys back back.
Speaker 3: You know, from from all over and uh and and you know it's a place where you can get you know, it's a fair game. You know, he's even playing field, you know what I'm saying. You know, some mindless you know kind of you know, you know, camaraderie with your boys and stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, it's I love cooking.
Speaker 3: Food is a love language for me, you know, so, so being able to you know, find a recipe or try something new and combined flavors is probably you never thought would go together. And just creating those those moments is another form.
Speaker 4: Of art too.
Speaker 3: And and and I like people enjoying people eating my food, you know, like like serving people and being like, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Normally don't like land, but have you had it like this?
Speaker 3: And then uh, and it's having people just you know, react to that is a as a It's something that I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Doing now with boom. If we're gonna have to get you into as.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I gotta get Okay, that's that's that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's my that's my guilty pleasure.
Speaker 4: Some easy wins at first, So we'll start all Yeah, it'd be good.
Speaker 2: Dude, You've been amazing to that.
Speaker 1: I've got a few more questions to ask you before I let you go that. This question is like, what has been a lesson you wish you learned earlier in life? Like, is there a lesson that you learned recently? You're like, I wish I learned this one earlier.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: Being unapologetically honest with what you want and that and that goes across the board. I was trying to think of something that kind of across the board, if you.
Speaker 4: Can communicate your truth.
Speaker 3: And and not worry so much about how somebody is going to react to what you say, because a lot of times the fear of how somebody is going to react to what you're you really want to say is what stops you from saying it sometimes and you find another way, or you put it off, or you don't say it, and maybe the situation doesn't change, and you get frustrated and upset with why this thing doesn't change because you kind of maybe.
Speaker 2: Might not have said it the way you wanted to say, you know.
Speaker 3: And I think there's a, you know, a way to be unapologetically and still be respectful and speak your truth. If I think I would have done that earlier, I would have been further along in relationships that I have with people I care about and and not intimately I mean, I mean I mean across the board, work relationships, business, family, female friends, you know, whatever it may have been. I think being honest with with with where you stand and how you feel, it's really given another person an option and opportunity to be as honest with you, and whatever your fear of that is, of that outcome is never really as big as what you make it up to be, you know, it's really not that. So I would say, I would say maybe just being being being honest and living with the results. You know, and tomorrow is not promised to anyone. But time will move on, you know, you will move past it, you know, and if it'smorro will never come. At least you can know that you said what you needed to say. Yeah, you know, so I think that's one thing that I feel like earlier on if I could, if if I had.
Speaker 4: That, it might have been better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a thoughtful longs I was thinking when you were saying that, it's that we we're so scared of our honesty hurting someone not realizing that us holding back our honesty is and the even more is a longer term it is.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's a hard one because when you have to be honest, it makes you look worse, it makes you feel bad, It makes that best and feel bad.
Speaker 2: It gets it gets messy on so many level.
Speaker 4: What if that person needed to hear it.
Speaker 3: You know, what if that person never heard that that note or that that thought or perspective, and then they go on in life, you know, continuing to you know, move and act and speaking away without that you're doing almost a disservice.
Speaker 4: You know. It goes back to like knowing, if you know better, you got to do better.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So so I think that kind of maybe speaks to a bigger thing with me of like wanting to just be better and wanting people around me to be better and grow, you know, because I guess one of going back to, you know, just the other misconceptions, like you know, a thing of.
Speaker 4: People look at me and think I got everything, I got it all. You know, it's not true.
Speaker 3: Man, Like I'm flawed, you know, and and I'm actively trying to get better daily, you know, and I fail all the time, and I come up short all the time on even how to communicate, no matter how much coaching I go through, and you know, and practice and and and and running conversations through my head you know, in the shower and like all right, I'm gonna say this. I'm gonna say that I want to hit that point and okay, you know, what I'm saying, and you know, I'm just in the I'm trying to do my best, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think the weight to.
Speaker 3: Try to live up to everybody's perfect expectation of me has been really, really heavy for a long time, you know, And I think the last couple of years, I've been trying to maneuver out of that.
Speaker 1: Mike, we end every episode of On Purpose with a final five. These five questions have to be answered in one word to one sentence maximum. There can be one sentence. I will ask you to explore it further, all right, So Mike, these are your final five. The first question is the first question your ones have two parts. I've never done this before, but we do. I'm about to do it because I think there's some things I really want to know. So the first question is what is the best advice you've ever heard and the worst advice you've ever heard?
Speaker 3: Best advice is, if you're unsure about something, take a moment. You know, if you're unsure, uh, don't don't don't answer right away. Take a moment, think about it. It's okay, you know. Don't answer just because you feel like you got to be out and be quick. And be fast about it, you know, because you end up stumbling over your words and and or not something of words, saying something that you don't really really mean. So I would say that's probably some of the best advice I got.
Speaker 4: Worst advice. Buy it now, you'll get it back.
Speaker 2: Just what I just spend it. Now, you'll get you'll make it.
Speaker 4: Back, you know, sink. I think that's right. I think that's right. Yeah. I think at the time it was close. At the time, it was closed. It was closed.
Speaker 3: It was it was it was and it wasn't even really a big close. Guys at the time, I was like whatever, but it was like, yeah, you're.
Speaker 4: Right, you I'll make it back, no worry about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, of course I will, you know, like yeah, and then you know, we're on seven eleven diet for the next you know, two months.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you a choice. Pick one of these.
Speaker 4: One. Yeah, yeah, oh man, I want to know what the other one is.
Speaker 2: This is a old.
Speaker 3: Dogs my dad's dog text from the Marines. That linen jacket says, all my children. I'm saying maybe seven sixteen seventeen, maybe like Disney like Super Soap Weakened or something like that. I think it was like one of those things where like the soap roperas had this this weekend.
Speaker 4: And uh, I think it was in California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Disney.
Speaker 4: And I want to say this is from that.
Speaker 2: I want to say that my advice would you what advice would you give to him?
Speaker 3: Uh, savor those moments of being a teenager? I think, you know, looking back at the teenage years, you know, we.
Speaker 4: Have a worry, know what problems we have? You know it was high school? Yeah, about homework.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, like it you know I was, I was working at that time, you know what I'm saying. So, but but I would just say, like, enjoy those years, man, you know, of just of just uh of the purity of it.
Speaker 4: You know. I look back and I was like, man, this is like it is a pretty pure.
Speaker 2: What would he say back to you now? Looking at you now? Maybe I know you could do it?
Speaker 3: You know, I think I would tell myself that you could do it too. I think I think you know, nobody thought. I mean I didn't at that time. You know, I think you know, what what what could have been? What what is he had a You know, I thought I had an idea of what could be, you know, I had I always have to have the optimism of what could be.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It was just like, is follow that more? Maybe? I love that? Man? This is the other one we got funny, we just picked. These are the two that the teams.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is my birthday or my sister's birthday, but this is my grandmother's kitchen, and uh, my sister was right there and I think she was either helped me cut a cake or something. But yeah, that's my that's my my that was my my guardian, that was my my my bodyguard, was my sister.
Speaker 4: It's a good one.
Speaker 1: I love that, all right, question number I don't know which question we want to that's the best, That's that's what it's the best. Uh, What's what's the best part of being Michael B. Jordan and the West Bust part being Michael B.
Speaker 4: Jordan's being Uncle Mike.
Speaker 3: Man, it's a feeling of like with my nephew and my niece that I've never I've never loved something so much and like wow, like whoa like? I think I think being Uncle Mike right now is the best part of that. Right now the worst part. I love multitasking. I love I love I love the juggling, the balancing act of the things that I do.
Speaker 4: I love that. And the worst part is the the loneliness that comes with that. You know.
Speaker 2: I think there's a there's a there's a you know, a loneliness that I have, you know.
Speaker 3: The responsibility that you have and is isolating, and the weight is isolating. So I think I think the worst part of that is is the the feeling like nobody really understands and sometimes falling into the spaces of like just you know, being alone, feeling alone.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing everything today, I mean, okay, question number four, we nearly that four and five. Question number four, you talked about knowing your team's love language. This question is my team's love language. How does being the sexiest man of life find love.
Speaker 2: From the galves of my team? Dedicated to dedicated to you?
Speaker 4: So I revert back to the last question.
Speaker 2: It's very lonely.
Speaker 3: No, it's a I go back and forth between wanting partnership and then not knowing what's the best partner for me, Like bringing them into my world. What I got going on isn't easy, and it's it's not just I love you, you love me. That should be enough, right, It's not. It's not quite that simple, you know. I think, I think finding the right person to understand a all of me, but then all that comes with me as well, and understanding, you know, that balance between wanting to be available and there for that person while I'm juggling everything else and feeling okay to put the other part of my businesses down, and you know, this sacrifice and compromise that comes with a partnership and a relationship and what is understanding how how to make that all work is sometimes gives me anxiety and pause, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and and and.
Speaker 3: Then also as a part of me that has not really lived life yet, I haven't really traveled as much for fun or just like Japan has been a few times that I went where I didn't have a schedule, where I didn't have to be somewhere for press, I didn't have to be these most I had to put the other hats on.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: There's so many different places and people I've never had an opportunity to happenly meet that I might connect and vibe with, that might be a person that my soul connects to you know, and and I think, you know, those things.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to that part of my life. You know.
Speaker 3: I think the last couple of years, I'm starting to get to a place where it's like, you know what, I got to start living.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've been.
Speaker 3: I've been, I've sacrificed, and I've been in lot zoned in for so long. You know, I owe it to my solf a little bit to do that, you know. And I think that's a byproduct of being a little bit of a you know, I'm a delayed satisfaction, delayed gratification person like I can. I've always wanted to lock in for the first half, do what I gotta do, get to I need to get to make sure everything is straight and set up, and then be a little bit more, have the freedom to move how I want to move and or whatever. So that's the long winded answer of of I'm not I'm not looking, But it would take a very special person to understand and grow with me, you know, just you know, you want to create memories, you know, I want to I want a family, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Eventually, so we'll see, So we'll see.
Speaker 2: You un lucky because I asked you that question. The other question was what's his type? I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that, I like that question.
Speaker 2: I like that that's the wrong question I was reading.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Fifth and final question, if you get we asked this every guest who's ever been on the show, if you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be?
Speaker 2: The law that.
Speaker 3: You couldn't intentionally kill or cause bodily harm to anyone.
Speaker 4: I think that covers a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, you still have you got to leave room people for humans to be humans, and everybody's not gonna be good, you know, everybody's not going to have all that in there.
Speaker 4: But if we can eliminate the senseless killing and.
Speaker 3: You know, the bodily harms you know, of other people's bodies in a real way, I think there's But then there's like the systemic thing I'm trying to get out of because like you know, I'm trying to eat, I'm trying to level the playing field, you know, so just the economic opportunities that this already, those those systematic oppression, the systematic pressure that doesn't exist is the thing that I most I most want to change, So I'm trying to think of It's a good question, man.
Speaker 1: You keeping about it, Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I like you one, because it also applies to like you couldn't develop products like your your question. I mean your answer applies to food, drugs, medicine, which is kind of what keeps a lot of people stuck in the system because if they can bodily harm to me isn't just physical violence. It's also the kind of things we ingest and consume, and that is what keeps a lot of people stuck because they're eating unhealthy food because that's all they have access to and that's all they can afford.
Speaker 2: And that plays with you. I mean that's what I was here in too, on a sub level. Yeah all right, I love.
Speaker 1: It, Michael Jordan, Mike, it has been such a joy, and we've got to do a part two. I've got I can talk to you for hours. I've got so many questions, man, like you get into it. I want to thank you for your honesty, your openness, the fun we've had bringing mass along everyone. If you're not drinking already, make sure you drink a mass while you listening on purpose, and thank.
Speaker 2: You so much for coming by.
Speaker 1: I wanted for our audience please tag me and Mike with your favorite moments. I know you guys cut the best clips on TikTok and Instagram. Do that for this episode. There were so many moments where he was just downloading, and I think it's gonna have a big impact. So Mike, thank you again.
Speaker 4: Man, very grateful. Thank you so much for having me Broen. It's been honored. It was worth the wait. Man, appreciate you having me anytime. I appreciate you anytime.
Speaker 1: If you love this episode, you'll love my interview with Kobe Bryant on how to be strategic and obsessive to find your purpose.
Speaker 2: Our children have become less imaginative about how the problem solve in parents and coaches have become more directive and trying to tell them how the behaviorsus teaching them how to behavior