Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay a.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off inside. You wanna welcome you back home?
Speaker 3: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 2: Malborn?
Speaker 4: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: And this is Karen Kilgareff. Hello, my friend Karen. Hello.
Speaker 3: Did you notice that I did my name introduction like a newscaster?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah. We were talking about the news, broadcast, journalism before this, and Karen took on a very TV ready tone.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm ready for the job.
Speaker 3: I don't know about things, but I can cold read and I can do the voice.
Speaker 4: You know, they don't teach anything at radio television school.
Speaker 1: Did you go no? No?
Speaker 4: But I have family that did, a father and a sister. Yes broadcast? Did your sister go to yes? I mean I think she'd probably be offended that I just said.
Speaker 1: They don't teach you anything.
Speaker 4: She's a very smart I didn't learned a lot of it in college, and I apologize, Lisa.
Speaker 3: If you're listening, Lisa, we know you're listening because you're one of the great podcasts support sisters. There is yes, and I'd love to.
Speaker 1: Hear her actual train TV radio bo.
Speaker 4: I would like to also see some of her early on camera work in Spokane, Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh for real, Yeah, this is before she became a teacher, live at the Space Needle like that. Yeah, a lot ahead, gestures I, Bobby.
Speaker 1: I have good news. But that also bees are back.
Speaker 4: I've you know how the last couple of years, I've joked about how bees are just gray and kind of limping on the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other day I got stung on my hand. Well, the bee stinger was like on my shirt. I fell skateboarding. I dusted off the dirt and then all of a sudden there was a stinger, a disembodied skinner in my hand and I just pulled it out.
Speaker 1: Big deal. It wasn't that painful.
Speaker 4: I just felt what a privilege to finally get stung by a bee again, because he's been a decade. Then my two days later, my hand looked like a bagel, like a gelatinous bagel hand, and I just did an EpiPen in my leg and it went down. So there's nothing really to show. But it was in. I guess I'm allergic to bees. It's my story.
Speaker 1: Or it was not a bee stinger. It could have been a stinger from something else. Yes, something much more deadly. Oh god, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The weather. And now, how we nailed that package. Yeah, we really did zoom in on the freeway shoe. We have to introduce our guests now.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have such a good guest today. I'm so very excited.
Speaker 1: It's very exciting. Three our premier guest for Ces.
Speaker 4: This is our season three premiere episode.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. That should have been one of the first things we mentioned. I know, but we don't do it that way. I add my bagel hand story.
Speaker 4: Sometimes things have to take backseat to a good bagel hand story.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, you've seen her perform at clubs and colleges all over the country. Please and star search, please welcome the legendary MS Margaret Show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Oh, clubs in colleges, comedy on the road, with John Viners, John Viner's On the Road, Half Hour Comedy Hour, Half Hour Comedy Hours, A and Ease.
Speaker 1: The A List, Yes, Wow, wow.
Speaker 4: Yes, MTV's half Hour Comedy Hour with Mario Joiner.
Speaker 3: HBOS Ladies of the Night, the HBO ones, the cable ones were always they equated all female comics with being whores and sluts, so it was always like Ladies the Night, night walkers with microphones. It was always the name had to involve uh sex.
Speaker 4: Work, Yeah, like with fish nuts stockings in the logo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like a dark alley and high heel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Welcome dian Ford, Diane Ford, Susie Esmond, Margaret Smith. I love I love all those comedians, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, legendary Carol Leifer. They were the ones that made us believe we could do it right.
Speaker 4: So yeah, what what did Sandra Bernhardt host?
Speaker 2: She holded the A List shows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was great, She is great, She still is stillis.
Speaker 3: One of the best recurring Letterman guests of all time.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Did anyone ever see the time she tried to get Dave to use a rowing machine like to do uh we a workout with her and she got up and went over to a rowing machine, was like, come on, Dave and was rowing really hard while she was yelling at him to come and work out with her. Oh, it was like it was so hilarious and insane.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I think I do remember that. I don't know why I thought it was an elliptical or like one of those.
Speaker 1: This could be.
Speaker 3: A tiebreaker and actually find out what it was.
Speaker 2: But in my mind it's a verse a climber. But maybe that's from truth.
Speaker 1: Or dare I'm I'm of the belief that it was a Nordic track.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what about the gazelle arms and legs going.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That guy the uh yeah, he was little something little. Don't get me started on TV exercise guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, Tony little.
Speaker 2: That's Tony little with a little ponytail, little ponytail.
Speaker 3: It kind of looked like he had a perm Yeah, and he just he really loved cardia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a visionary.
Speaker 2: Did I tell you one time I got so drunk that I ordered a pilates machine.
Speaker 1: I drank a whole bottle.
Speaker 2: Of mark Maker's Mark When I was working at Carolines in the early early like two thousands or maybe it was a late nineties and I ordered it. I didn't even order it on the internet. I ordered it off television. No, I was so drunk, and I don't think I gave them the right correct like credit card information, because it never came and nobody ever charged me.
Speaker 1: Oh, like you've churched somebody else for a Plate's something.
Speaker 2: Somebody got a pilates machine that I ordered when I drank a whole bottle of Maker's mark. That's so disgusting.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's but that's how we did it back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like the nineties because it was at the Mayflower Hotel, I remember, and it was like on a landline, like a push like a not a rotary phone, but you know the push button fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's when, Yeah, it's when you're drinking a full bottle whiskey that you're like tomorrow everything changes, and it starts with this torch.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't understand plates.
Speaker 4: There's like I've done it, but there's like a wooden bed on wheels with bungee cords and it essentially stretches out your spine. Yes, it looks like an old torture device.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 3: I was taking PLATES classes for a little while in the mid two thousands, and it was that thing where.
Speaker 1: You know, like there's one thing you're first.
Speaker 3: The first exercise they have you do is like laying down and just kind of pulling yourself. But every time I would just feel my spine go ding ding ding, like pull apart in a really satisfying way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels good.
Speaker 2: It's hard, but it feels I think it feels good, but it doesn't really. I think you have to do it a lot to see any sort of results.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the impression I got when I was doing it. It's like I wasn't necessarily tired, so I'm like, oh, this is something you have to do every day.
Speaker 1: This is a lifestyle, and I don't think it's.
Speaker 4: Going to take no, no, And it's very they're very proud of it.
Speaker 1: Very expensive.
Speaker 2: They're so expensive.
Speaker 3: Did you guys see the video of the person who claimed that they had gotten their vaccination shot and then their leg.
Speaker 1: It was the video.
Speaker 3: She took a video of her own leg in the hospital bed and it was just shaking and I couldn't stop laughing because I was like, first of all, I have seizure, so that is not a seizure. Yeah, And secondly, that's exactly what would happen when I would try to do pilates, like the level of just full on shaking because you can't, like your muscles just aren't that strong and you can't really control it. And I was just like, lady, this is a plates reaction entirely.
Speaker 2: She also had had like an iPhone charger poised like to look like a port, like a chemo therapy port, but it was just stuck to her chest like that's a iPhone charger. Like it's like, so it's so ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yes, Wit, she was like pretending to be in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Then she was in the hospital.
Speaker 3: She had just gotten her booster, and then basically claimed I don't know if she brought herself to the hospital, because she was claiming she was having these reactions because of sorry, not the booster of the vaccination her first shot, but she was posting on social media to say, this is what they're not telling you about. And then basically from a laying down position, just lifting up one leg and then just letting it shake from no core strength is what it looked.
Speaker 1: Like to me.
Speaker 3: It was very familiar looking to me, and not scary.
Speaker 1: She just drank a lot of coffee. That was all of her.
Speaker 2: Oh, but I think she had started a GoFundMe too, Like she was trying to make money from her disability, her oh supposed disability from getting the vaccine. So it was a big scam.
Speaker 3: Oh that was supposed to be like, now go to my GoFundMe. Wow, with my shaky legs.
Speaker 4: He should be arrested. You donate to my leg shakes.
Speaker 2: That's what I think. That's what happened, is that she had like started to GoFundMe and made some money. Yet because people were siding with her and believing her. I mean, that whole anti vaccine thing is just so insane, Yeah, you know, and and it's all people that are just scamming other people, and it's all.
Speaker 3: It's such so few people, but it's getting constant coverage, so right, it's not it's it's such a small amount of Americans who feel that way, and yet there they just get constantly covered and shown on the news.
Speaker 4: And I say this as a broadcast journalist, I don't think the media is our friend.
Speaker 3: I don't think they make good decisions when it comes to these scare tactics.
Speaker 4: Everyone's after a dollar, not us, not us.
Speaker 1: No, I don't I require no money.
Speaker 4: I got everything I need right in this room.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 4: However, when I saw a series of videos where people were like, there's a magnet, it's there's a chip in my arm, and they're holding magnets to their arms and a key on their forehead and yeah, it's like just.
Speaker 1: Their sweaty forehead. They're using this.
Speaker 2: It's so stupid, it's so dumb.
Speaker 4: I did run a magnet over my knee. I'm like, what if what if it is a magnetized liquid or something, Maybe there's flex in it like Goldschlager, And so I put it over my arm and uh, yeah, nothing happened. Nothing happened. I wasn't believing it. I just wanted to try it.
Speaker 3: The claim is that the vaccine makes you magnetized.
Speaker 4: The claim was a chip, a tiny state of the art, smaller than Rick Moranis's little spaceship. It enters into your bloodstream, and so they can keep tabs of you in rural Idaho, you know where they can see how they're affecting your gene. Because in rural Idaho you have the best genes. I don't know why I'm attacking rural Idaho. Uh.
Speaker 3: I think you were just trying to name a place where maybe people aren't getting monitored well. And also I've seen lots of people write tweets about this and make jokes and stuff. But it's like your phone is how they if they want to monitor that, they you hold a thing all day long that enables people to monitor you.
Speaker 1: What about the computer and your pants? Dumb dumb Margaret.
Speaker 3: Were you excited to get the vaccine? How was your quarantine?
Speaker 2: My quarantine was okay. I mean it's weird because I really love staying home. I didn't realize how much I love it. Yeah, and I have not been able to stay home. I mean we really haven't been able to stay home for thirty five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we just.
Speaker 2: Work all the time and doing stand ups, so it's like always gone or whatever. So I've just been here, which I love, and I've got to enjoy my house. And you know, I'm excited to get the booster. I really would like to mix and match, so I'm hoping. I don't know, I'm not sure which one I'm gonna get, but I had my durnas which I got at a Dodger Stadium, which was really exciting. So now I'm like, oh, I wonder, I wonder which one I can get which booster, and I can't wait. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: It's such a weird like I talked about therapists about this all the time, where it's just like you overall, you go, oh, there's been a quarantine, but we're all fine and nothing not that much has changed except where we stay home.
Speaker 1: Until like until you go back out.
Speaker 3: And like my friend had like five people all meet for dinner for his birthday at a restaurant that had like a patio, and I was like the second I sat down, I suddenly was the quiet person and I was like, oh, this is I didn't know what to say, and I didn't know how to interact, and then when I went to tell a story, I had to say, oh, sorry, by the way, I might not stop talking, because that seems to be one of the side effects of me being in quarantine is I can talk for I mean, I think I always have been very mouthy, but it's like I don't I can't read the room anymore, so I don't know when my story should end. And I will just keep filling the air and it is so fucking embarrassing and weird, like I do it on the phone a lot, and then I'll be like, oops, I'm sorry, I can stop talking now. But that, to me, I call it the talking disease is one of the weirdest side effects because I feel like, you know, as we all know is comics. Reading the room is part of how you survive and why you are or are not good at what you do, and I suddenly don't know anymore.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't have the internal like temperature to go enough. Like I'm doing it right now. You guys know what I'm talking about, and I'm still explaining.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, I'm doing that in person too, Like I would tell longboring stories to my morning skateboarder friends and they're just like, where's this going? And I'm like, oh, I forgot how to be in a social situation. But I have a feeling if you were on stage that you know, it's different. It's different than being on stage. I don't know how to be at a dinner party, but I can still do stand up, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've never known how to be at a dinner party. I've never known how to do any of those things. I either like talk way too much or don't talk enough, and so I've never really ever gotten the balance right. So it's never I don't know, it's never been an.
Speaker 1: Issue with stand up though. It's weird because.
Speaker 2: Now I'm starting to do shows again and I really don't know what I'm doing because I've really not done it in so long. So that's a weird feeling. Have you done shows?
Speaker 4: I have been easing back into because there's not a lot of shows going on, So I've just found myself getting work and somewhere where I need to do an hour and I'm I just fall back on my old material. Everything that I wrote during quarantine was about the situation, and no one wants to hear about that. In some ways they do, but yeah, I forgot my joke. I'll be in the middle of a joke and I forgot how it ends, like I just haven't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you think the audience is understanding and like yes, okay, or do you feel they're.
Speaker 2: Super excited just to be out so they're really happy about it. So there's there's also a different feeling of like this refreshing sense of like, oh, I'm not in my house. Yeah, I like not watching TV. That's a good there's like, I think some measure of good faith that you get from that. And so, and I really don't remember any of my own material, and I will not go back and look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh I remember it.
Speaker 3: I'll text it to you, okay.
Speaker 2: Please, because I just don't know. I just like I refuse to go back and look. And so it's something that I have trouble with. But I figure if I keep on doing shows, it'll it'll work yourself out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure. Yeah, that's the only way to work through it.
Speaker 3: It's just weird because I feel like, I mean, I haven't been doing live stand up shows or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I have done.
Speaker 3: I did a couple streaming ones where I was like, this is true torture, Like I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: It felt it felt awful.
Speaker 3: Even if you were doing well, it felt awful, like there was no winning.
Speaker 1: And it was just it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: But I just think it's funny that I think, on the surface, I would assume everything just and it's fine. We all tracked this. We all kind of processed it as it went.
Speaker 1: But then it's almost like, but you.
Speaker 3: Step outside, and that's when you learn how fucked up you may or may not be. From sitting at home for two years. It's like you can't really know until you're sitting. Like I was at that dinner, I knew two people. Two people were strangers that I met that night. Very everyone is super nice, and I still was. It felt like seventh grade. It was just like, what in the fuck is this insane?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing but I'm talking to strangers for too long. But if it's a social situation where I'm it's people I should be comfortable around, I clam up like a weirdo. Yeah, so I'm I'm wasting the time of passers by and loved ones by being silent.
Speaker 3: Let's go around in a circle and then and give each other ideas about great icebreakers if you're ever in that situation. So my idea is something I would say, is what's your favorite birthday You've ever had? Something like that where it gets people.
Speaker 2: Talking, Oh yeah, that's a good one. Yeah, Like I think it's it's just like, what was the thing that you remember most about junior high?
Speaker 1: Which is like the.
Speaker 2: Worst part of life.
Speaker 1: Really good.
Speaker 3: Get people to talk about like actual trauma the worst part of life.
Speaker 2: Yes, but like distance, I think junior high is the worst.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's your most memorable childhood trauma?
Speaker 1: I'll talk for hours. Yeah, I would love to hear that question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, because I want to. I think these days we want to talk about real shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was so shy and like got bullied a lot in junior high. So I would sit on the toilet and eat lunch, eat and not be bothered. I would eat like a burrito that you know, they were like so hot in the inside, like those microwave burritos, the microwave burritos that you get in the cafeteria, like.
Speaker 1: A long, a long boy, a long one.
Speaker 2: And I would sit on the toilet and eat it. And then people would come into the bathroom and be like, why is that stal like a smooth always in that Stalt's so weird.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the best thing to be eating on a toilet.
Speaker 2: I'll have a toilet and just sitting there eating it, like perfectly happy, reading the graffiti and just biding my time. I think it was like I just so I wanted to be isolated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you needed a moment to yourself. Is it okay? And I'm just admitting this.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I still enjoy I will bring food into the bathroom with me.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that. Yeah, absolutely, I bring beverages in the shower.
Speaker 4: I like to wash my insides while I washed my out nice with white claw.
Speaker 3: I used to really enjoy a beer in the shower, especially if we were getting ready to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: That was a very nineties.
Speaker 3: Early two thousands move well not early two thousands. Stop drinking in the nineties, but those in the height of my drinking days, when we lived in that crazy house on Alexandria. It would be like, oh, we're about to have a party, and I have to get myself together from the party from last night, and I have to, you know, collect my thoughts and wash my hair. So I would just be drinking a searvet. It was just like trying to be edgy, but like in the privacy of my own home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, that house, the Alexandria House, I always think about, Like, I think you and me and Greg were in there in the morning drinking baron Jaeger, not even Jaeger. My shit was Barren Jaeger. The honey. It comes in like a weird like hay container, like it has like a raffia jacket that you would take, And then we were drinking that in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if we'd stayed over.
Speaker 2: I don't know if i'd stayed over. Also at that house, one time I was pregnant and I took acid and I didn't know I was pregnant, but I took the acid and then I was like, there's someone in here.
Speaker 1: In my body. Oh wow, And you were right. That was that Christmas party.
Speaker 2: This Christmas party, Yeah, And people were.
Speaker 3: Like, we took as at like three o'clock in the afternoon, and then the Christmas party started. And I was wearing a silver vinyl dress that zipped up the front, and first I started with that one of those fifties kind of sheer blousey, almost like a night blouse, and I was so cold. At one point, someone goes, your lips are blue because it was fucking December. It was a Christmas party. So then I changed into a turtleneck, a turtleneck under the vinyl dress, and people were like, you're the best hosts, And I mean, my pupils must have been like complete My eyes must have been completely black. It was insane and it was just to me. It was all like lights and faces and smiles. And that was the Christmas party. I think you were in the room for this, Margaret, but this is one of my favorite memories of all time.
Speaker 1: I went into the and Brian Reagan had the Joy.
Speaker 3: Of Cooking open and he was sarcastically reading it to somebody and it was so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't even explain.
Speaker 3: He was just like, oh, half a cup of flour, and everyone was just like crazy, so funny.
Speaker 1: It was weird. Wow, how many comics lived in this drug den? Uh? It was just me.
Speaker 3: My other two roommates were not comics, but everybody was thinking about this too. This was this time where we all we spent every hour of the day together, so you know, we'd always get together for maybe lunch, definitely dinner. Then we'd go do sets and most people were on the same show, and then we'd go to Fellini's and then we go to someone's house after two am. And so probably like that, when Margaret and Greg and I woke up at my house, it was just like it was just another. It was a Thursday probably yeh, and we've got up and we were in insanely hungover, and then it was just like, now we have to go to toy and meet everybody for lunch.
Speaker 1: It was just like constant. I kind of ran a phone tree.
Speaker 3: Where I'd be like, we're all going to go to to We're all going to go to toy or it was insane.
Speaker 1: It was just sounds fun, though, I mean, I know, very fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never had that really, Yeah, I just had a domestic situation. When I started comedy. I was home right after the show. Well not always.
Speaker 3: I looked out because Margaret moved to LA. Margaret had already been living in LA part time. We met in San Francisco, so when she would come up there and then when I moved to LA, she was my truly my one friend. But she like you would go on the road and I got to stay at that house.
Speaker 1: But that in that.
Speaker 3: House is where Greg Barrett lived, Laura Milligan lived, Jerry Finelli lived sometimes Genie Garoffalo.
Speaker 1: So it was I like basically.
Speaker 3: Was grandfathered into Margaret's friend group.
Speaker 1: Essentially. That's so exciting. Though it was fun. It's a piece of comedy history.
Speaker 3: It was very it was very fun and very crazy nineties.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. But fen Fenn and around the corner from your house was that's where Greg Barent and David Cross lived. Yes, so that was another party house that if you would just like walk like down the street and they were right around the corner.
Speaker 4: I've heard of that because I used to open for Greg a lot and he would tell the stories about that house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that was a good party house.
Speaker 3: There was one party where Kathy Griffin would have a Christmas party every year, and she got mad because it was when she was on Suddenly Susan and all of her comedy stand up friends were embarrassing her in front of her Suddenly Susan friends. And remember she ended the party early because people were like sliding down the stairs, so we.
Speaker 1: All walked down on the street.
Speaker 3: So I just started inviting everybody over to Greg and David's house because I was like, oh, well, let's just meet there. And I told all everybody at this party to go to their house. And then I went home so drunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Greg called me super mad. He's like, hey, so your party started, are you gonna come to it. I was like, sorry, I can't come, I'm too drunk.
Speaker 3: That's the best move ever, It's so good.
Speaker 4: I would think that her suddenly Susan friends would love watching comedians slide down the banister, you'd.
Speaker 3: Think, I mean, I think it was just a self consciousness.
Speaker 1: It was in that brookshield Yeah, Shields would love to.
Speaker 4: Watch comedian after comedians slide down a handrail.
Speaker 1: I don't know, come against. But she married Chris Henshy, so she did love it.
Speaker 2: So she did love it. Is that he was a comedy writer.
Speaker 3: He's a comedy writer and he uh, he was a regular at Fellini's. And my favorite Chris Henchy memory is one night and I mean at this bar we would get so drunk and so I mean that's Barren Yeager. We were like into subsets of Yeager. Is how alcoholic? At least I was for sure. There was one night where Chris Henchy was telling me a story and I kept taking a cigarette out of a pack and then lighting it. Then I would react to a story and start gesturing with my hands and then basically and then I'd be like, oh, I was going to smoke a cigarette. This this is so long ago. You could still smoke in bars. And after a while I went to get a cigarette and my pack was empty, and I was like, who smoked all my cigarette? And I looked down on the ground and I had picked I'd tried to light and drop twenty cigarettes.
Speaker 1: That's how drunk. I was, like, not aware of what the fuck I was doing, and yet you were just throwing them on the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would like even doing that with one cigarette, but twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty in a row where it just be kind of like I would get caught up in whatever the story was, and that's how drunk we were, and then just like fall out of my hands and I'd be like, oh, I need to get a cigarette.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so normal. It's so normal, though, to put away like twenty thirty drinks something like that at like Pedro's or fellini I mean, but Fellini's. We would never go there until at least two in the morning. They would usually stay up until about.
Speaker 1: Four, Yeah, they would. They would lock the door, so we got to stay there after hours because we were friends with the bartenders. It was so it was really bad.
Speaker 3: And it's a miracle that no one died or because we we were also driving.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was there was no Uber, but there was no Uber.
Speaker 2: There was no tax There's no taxis in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean Hollywood. Okay, we didn't have far to go.
Speaker 2: But I mean that's the other crazy thing too.
Speaker 1: Who is driving?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I drove all the time.
Speaker 2: I must have been driving, but I can't remember if I was driving or not. I must have been.
Speaker 3: You must have been, and I was, for sure. I mean, yeah, it was a true.
Speaker 4: Blur back in you know, fifteen years ago. I would and people always frowned on it. But I just had a blanket and pillow in my car, and if I had too much to drink, I always slept in my car.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I got my pepper spray and my brass knuckles, but I'd sleep in my car all that time.
Speaker 1: That's smart. Actually, yeah, it's actually way better.
Speaker 4: And it never get a good night's sleep, but it is kind of nice to wake up at the crack of dawn and drive home with the windows down at yeah, five thirty am.
Speaker 2: But's safer safely, sure, Yeah, it's better than driving drunk. I mean, I don't yeah, I don't remember how we got home every night, but we did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we loved.
Speaker 3: We were incredibly lucky, and like I think of it driving in the daytime now sometimes of like you know, sometimes just every once in a while, like somebody will step off the sidewalk and then you stop short and the I'm just like, how did that not happen to us at night while we were drunk driving? Like it's just bone chilling to think of how close we could have been to something really horrible happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. We got out of it. We got out of it, and we moved on.
Speaker 2: We moved on, But it was Yeah, I think about I think it's just like being young and just the way that I'm so glad that social media didn't exist. Could you imagine if we'd had that then, Like we've just been so embarrassing, like all of the things, like all the things that we didn't even take photographs, it's all just in our memory.
Speaker 3: Yes, I you know what, there's one night from Fleeni's that I have photographs of that are so hilarious because I was at that point, I was on fen fen, which was essentially speed.
Speaker 4: And you know, there's a lawsuit, you maybe have a lot of money coming to but well, lawsuit.
Speaker 1: I'm sure on TV.
Speaker 3: But my eyes in every picture, like my eyelids are nowhere near my irises. There's it's I have the widest, craziest eyes and like smiling, like where you can see my gumbs in the back. It's just scary. It's like it must have been.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you were just happy, just smiling, surrounded by twenty cigarettes. It was just I don't it was crazy. It was Yeah, it was a dangerous time and unhealthy. But all this talk has made me want to go to a house party.
Speaker 1: I know, right, still be fun.
Speaker 2: They can still be fun.
Speaker 1: They can't.
Speaker 2: I mean I think I think a house party, it's like also a house party full of comics I think would be fun. Yes, now, just because we never see each other so well, Karen.
Speaker 4: A, Karen's going to throw another party, right, Karen, I will, I will, and Margaret you should go. I'm inviting people to other people's parties like you.
Speaker 1: I deserve it. Let's go to David Crosses.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's get let's get the old gang back together. Remember they would play like David and Greggs house. There would always be like craps, a craps game on in the driveway and there's somebody.
Speaker 1: I think it was like a celebrity. Some celebrity came.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was Vince Vaughan and played craps and everybody took the money and walked away.
Speaker 1: So incredible.
Speaker 4: And he was in Swingers. Yeah he did all that research.
Speaker 2: It was either Vince vaugh or Toby Hauss. Toby Haus was like a weirdly like at every party too, oh yes, kind of vaguely like looking like Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 4: Yeah he is the guy that acted like Frank Sinatra on MTV.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, that's all I know of him.
Speaker 3: A great character actor and he also he reminded me of like he wasn't a stand up per se.
Speaker 1: He could if.
Speaker 3: He wanted to, and he was an amazing live performer and stuff, but he was always the one that, like when I was being my most idiotic and then I would look over and if Tobyhus was standing there, the shame would pass over me because he was like a real adult with a real career. It felt like where I was like, oh, my shit isn't going to fly over that direction.
Speaker 4: He also has one of those faces like he's always disappointed in you, just resting disappointment face he does.
Speaker 2: He just looks so cool, and it was that weird nineties as nineteen forties.
Speaker 3: Yes, he looked like a dust bowl, a migrant who had come out. He was wearing the same jeans for five years. He also did the thing that I loved where he crossed his legs like kind of like a woman, like his knee went all the way over, and then he would cross his hands while he was smoking a cigarette. And that was exactly how my uncle Steve used to do it. And it was just very he There's something about Toby hus that is just so like he's like a lead character, and even though it's supposed to be your life, you're like, oh, the lead character's here, Like he's a legend.
Speaker 2: I just think of him like outside of Laura Milligan's house, because Laura had a it was like a shanty or a shack that was so it was like they had built it themselves, Her and Mike built it themselves up planks that they found that like the flea market. I mean, it was just so incredible, like rustic farmhouse yep. And you know Toby has standing outside with just like that grapes of wrath kind of drag Yep with his legs swung all the way over. I know exactly what you mean about the cross leg. It's like a feminine thing that looks really masculine on him.
Speaker 3: Incredibly masculine and like a lee buttoned down cowboy shirt with purlescent buttons.
Speaker 1: He's just the whole look is you know what it was.
Speaker 3: There's hipsters in LA that would try to buy those clothes and wear them, but he actually had already owned them, like he was the real deal.
Speaker 1: Like that people were kind of trying to dress leg or look like.
Speaker 2: Well, like people would be in Japan would be taking that picture to their hair dresser and could you make my hair look like this? Like it's that kind of like so iconic. Yes, it's very interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the greatest. Yeah, that shack party. There was one d lore through me a birthday party one time, and I was three hours late to it because of the fucking fen Fenn. I could never leave my house. I would start getting ready, but you know this is like don't do drugs.
Speaker 1: They suck you up so.
Speaker 3: Badly where I just like I would be doing my eye makeup for like two hours, like I couldn't get out of the mirror.
Speaker 1: So, so, way, what did fen Fenn do.
Speaker 4: It's not related to fentanyl or fentanyl or whatever, right, it's it's it's a it's.
Speaker 1: A diet pill.
Speaker 2: It's like an old school like diepile from I think maybe the nineteen thirties, but they mixed it with another diet pill that was like a downer, so you had an up and a down at the same time, so you didn't go as like crazy. So it wasn't like a mother's little helper kind of sixties situation. It was like kind of supposed to even you out, but it made you really nuts.
Speaker 4: And it is a simultaneous upper and downer classically, how you die.
Speaker 2: In your I mean I think sleepball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the old speed ball.
Speaker 2: They all they all go out like that.
Speaker 3: So but it made you lose weight. So I mean I lost thirty pounds in a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty school.
Speaker 3: That went Karen, are you eating one lettus sleep a day?
Speaker 1: And we used to say that to each other all the time.
Speaker 3: I remember that, and I was so mad that it would comment on It was like I truly dropped half of half of my I was not half of my weight, but a significant amount of weight in one month.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: But I got them from this costumer who had worked in like the sort of Disney lot in the nineties when I was doing television there. So there was like, you know, all of these actresses, because everybody in the nineties was really, really thin. Yeah, so there was no way to for me, like, my body's just not going to do that on its own, Like I can't do that with diet and exercise. There's just no way I could ever imagine. So we were all getting them through the same sort of channels there because all doctors in Burbank.
Speaker 3: All doctors in Burbank that you never really saw their face. It was all very shady. But and then when you basically were like, oh this has made me go insane, there's no one to go back to be like, hey, can I get this adjusted. It would be like the office would be abandoned. Yeah, it was so shady.
Speaker 2: It was so shady, But it was like, I mean, I think, yeah, now there's a like a lot of lawsuits around, like class action lawsuits around that drug. But for a minute, it just seemed like the promised Land, you know, that kind of like dieting and exercise. You just didn't have to think about food. Yeah, you had that pill.
Speaker 3: I did not care for the first time in my life.
Speaker 1: It was just like, oh yeah, whatever you were relating one, let us leave a day today. It's insanity.
Speaker 3: Well what we did was shop at the Beverly Center compulsively.
Speaker 2: And Melrose Avenue and Melrose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lot of shopping in a kind of like frenzied panic about nothing.
Speaker 2: I couldn't get enough shirts with like polo shirts with like a zipper, like with a ring, Like I couldn't get enough things with a zipper with a ring, which is the most like nineties thing is like any kind of zipper with a ring, and like tiny baretts.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was very belt. It was like Brady Bunch cosplay. There was a god like a lot of polyester outfits where you're like this smells someone else wore it forty years ago and I'm boiling hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it was. It was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of men's pajama bottoms, you know, really stiff things from ex Girl.
Speaker 1: Yes on Vermont where you.
Speaker 2: Would like buy you know there that was a show store that was next to the Beastie Boys store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you would.
Speaker 2: It was like the girl's leg of the Beastie Boys store, and so you would just buy whatever. I think it was Kim Gordon's line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just take anything they had.
Speaker 2: Anything didn't matter. And it was always very stiff and painful.
Speaker 4: When I lived with When I lived with Tig, she for a few days, our house was a drop off point for Katrina things, boxes of diapers and things. I had to move my bed out and this I was moving furniture out so we could move these boxes in. And Kim Gordon came into our living room and I'm a big Sonic Youth fan. It was like the first CD I purchased with Sonic Youth, uh from Columbia house. I put a stamp down anyway, I did not even I know that Tig didn't know who. Tig just had one arrowsmith because that and.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, you can put the stuff.
Speaker 4: And I was just talking to some lady and then she left and it was like that was uh something gorgon Kim Gordon And I'm like, Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth was just in my house. It was the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: She is the coolest. I mean, she's incredibly cool.
Speaker 1: Do you know her?
Speaker 2: I I know, I'm friends with her on like Twitter and Instagram. Yeah, and I'm I'm a huge Sonic Youth fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Love her, just her, just and I did love ex Girl actually still exists in Japan.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And it's not it's a different kind of look now.
Speaker 4: But you say it was next to the Beastie Boys store. Is the is it Paul's boutique?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Or is that just a store? On that album? It was almost like the.
Speaker 3: First tennis shoes store or whatever they're called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a streetwear like for the first one of the first streetwear sort of outlets, places that you would get like sort of the big Heart jeans and was.
Speaker 1: It extra large? It was extra large? And then it was I'm a I'm a fashion man about town. Look, there's a gorilla graphic x X large. Right. I think they still make stuff.
Speaker 2: But we lived on Vermont. It was like a muck Books and it was EK which EK is still there.
Speaker 1: They're still there, which I love, And that is it?
Speaker 3: A muck Books that had like all those graphic novels that we would read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and all of the true crime books that I read came from a muck Books, and that guy uh now owns an Etsy shop where he sells a lot of the stuff that he had liquidated his you know, inventory from a mock books that he doesn't have a brick and mortar store, but he has a store on Etsy.
Speaker 1: Now, your parents had a bookstore, right.
Speaker 2: My parents had a bookstore on Polk Street called Paperback Traffic. It's a big tobacco store now where you would get get like vapes and vape liquid, nape juice. But it was a big gay bookstore in the sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Have you seen the either of you seen the documentary about Circus of Books? Yes, it is so and it's the most unlikely older couple that got into making gay porn.
Speaker 1: It was such a cool story.
Speaker 2: I love great story. Yeah, it's a great it's a great documentary.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And guess what that place is now it's a vape store. Yeah, it's a weed dispensary. It's a weed I see a lot of people vaping. I didn't, of course, it's probably marijuana vapor. But yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: What I missed that. I mean I'm sobs so don't do anything. Yeah, but I do miss weed vaping, not weed smoking. Yeah, and certainly not dabs. Dabs would just kill me. Daves give me das.
Speaker 4: I pretend to know what it is is that when there's black stuff at the end of a paper clip and you kind of freebase it or was I doing.
Speaker 1: That's that's just that's like hash oil. Okay, I've done that a closet for twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah's to the same thing. But it's like you get like a nail like which is a sort of a some kind of a base that you heat up with a huge like flamethrower, get like red hot, and then you put resin on that. So it's like smoking the same it's the same thing that you would smoke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's when we would feel like you're doing heroin or something like. There's when you're there's implements and you got to heat up a thing and put another thing on it.
Speaker 1: That's that's what would happen.
Speaker 2: The blowtorch though, like you need like a lot of but tane. You can't just do it with the lighter. You need something that blows fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that should be the line of demarcation right there.
Speaker 2: Too much, but it's the vape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't work.
Speaker 4: There's a building in Missoula that David Lynch. I guess he's from Missoula, Montana, believe it or not. And there was a building that that blue velvet. But yeah, I did the hash oil thing and I hid in a closet. I ended up after twenty hours finally calling my dad and saying I smoked something. I'm so, I'm dying in a closet and he had to come pick me up at this scary hotel. It was just imagine the hotel from a blue velvet, and that's being paranoid and hidden in a closet. I never did this stuff again anything but tane based.
Speaker 1: Too terrible, terrible much.
Speaker 3: It's for the young, but there's just no reason I was drugs.
Speaker 1: I was twenty. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like you're gonna people will do them, but sure, I don't know. It feels like kids these days might be a little bit smarter. I felt like I was like, well, I gotta do this, like I'm twenty three, let's do this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're fun ring vodka in their butts and stuff. There's other things they're doing. But I think drugs are just whack. If you offer a kid drugs now, they'll be like, no thanks, loser, no way, dude.
Speaker 2: Drug during like k off of Scott's house key, like somewhere South just go with like the hotel on knob Hill and doing bumps of k off of Scott's house key and then laying in the bed like two old ladies, like just Timm and Me in the bed like.
Speaker 1: It's so it was a weird k is a weird drug.
Speaker 2: I'm like, is that even a fun drug?
Speaker 1: I don't remember any good drugs? Did you fall into a K hole? Yeah? Is that what a K hole is? Probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you know, you just want to get in bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember we did ecstasy one time.
Speaker 3: It was me, you, Ebbie and Scott in your room in that apartment that was on like fourteenth or something fourteenth.
Speaker 2: It was by by Tweak or Safeway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we did ecstasy and you guys were all like, whoa, it's amazing, And I was just sitting there and it was just it felt like I'd used dander shampoo. My my scalp was lightly tingling, and that was the only difference and I was like, there's something wrong with me. But I was like, and remember the lights were out and we were listening to crowded house and they smoking, and that was like our drug night.
Speaker 1: That was the best.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah that I think was it Together Alone or maybe I don't know which record was it.
Speaker 1: I think it was Together.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, with like four seasons in one day and those.
Speaker 3: Big hits yeah, and those beautiful like you know, the oral composition of it, like there there's a bunch of shit happening, and so then if you're on drugs, it's like even better sounding.
Speaker 2: So many different sounds and we were listening to one on a compact disc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Many things like us very compressed.
Speaker 1: It was really good. What a time during.
Speaker 2: That It was different Yeah, oh sorry, it was different than doing drug rugs at Ramona because Ramona felt like we were we were really like stepping out, like we were going to an exotical casion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ramona, Wait, that's the mine in Scott's apartment. Yeah, because I was trying to remember the name of that fucking street the other day.
Speaker 1: Oh, so I could not fucking remember.
Speaker 3: I was just was driving me insane. But that apartment we were talking. I was talking about how I used to sneak into Scott's room and steal pot out of his drawer, and I knew he was trying to see if I was doing that, so I would go in there and look around for like a hair that he had laid over it.
Speaker 1: I was like the most.
Speaker 3: The high level criminal, which just like I'm sure if I said to him, like, hey, if I give you twenty bucks, can I just some of your plot? But instead I would just be like going in and breaking things off and taking the hair and putting it on the desk and taking the pot and then putting it back like.
Speaker 1: It was dirty. It was dirty business. It was.
Speaker 3: It was funny, not nice behavior desperate times at the Gap.
Speaker 1: Was this like early two thousands or late nineties? It was early nineties, man, early nineties.
Speaker 2: This is like ninety one, ninety two, ninety three.
Speaker 1: I was like around that I just taken and I was in algebra.
Speaker 3: Oh man, no, baby. I was living the life in San Francisco. But like all of my friends that work, I'm still friends with a bunch of the people that worked there, Like do you remember Jason Lopez, Dave Mesberg, Jason Lopez.
Speaker 4: There was like he came to one of my shows and introduced himself to me as your good friend.
Speaker 3: Yes, he has been my friend since I was nineteen, and he has He used to go to the Improv when we would go do sets on Mondays or Sundays or whenever we would go do sets. He has been there like watching me do comedy. And then once I.
Speaker 1: Started doing podcasts, he's listened to every podcast.
Speaker 4: So he's listening right now, right now, he really is. He was very Yeah, he was very sweet. I remember meeting him and he said he was your old friend, and I believed him.
Speaker 1: He was in love with Greg Proops.
Speaker 3: So anytime Proops was going to be the headliner on the showcase show on was it on Monday night or Sunday at the Improv?
Speaker 1: Do you remember Monday?
Speaker 2: It was Mondays? It was Sundays was the punchline. So Mondays was the Improv because they would have the National Theater of the Deranged would do the improv show before yep, and then they would do so they had their own sort of thing, and then they would do the comedy showcase and always Greg was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it always it was so what a time what a cool place to come up. I mean, I'm so grateful. Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also like it doesn't feel like that much time has passed either, you know, in a lot of ways like comics kind of like I saw Greg today Actually we did an Instagram live. I was like leaving and he he was coming in or vice version. But it's like I don't feel like it like it was that long ago, right, in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's true, but so much shit has happened.
Speaker 1: It's just weird.
Speaker 3: It's like it's it's a very it was such a crazy group of people all trying to do like the same thing at the same time, and then you know everyone kind of just arcd out and did took their path. Yeah, just crazy.
Speaker 4: That's I wanted to move there around that time when I was still in high school, just because that's where you moved to be a skateboarder.
Speaker 2: Do there?
Speaker 1: Just go like yeah, because of all the hills. Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 4: Bombed downhills And uh, I'm glad I didn't. I'm glad my dad said no, you should go to college here in Montana. But I love that city. It's so exciting. Do you guys still love going back there, or how do you feel about this?
Speaker 2: I was just there, I went to Actually I was in Sacramento on Saturday. I was going to tell you I did it. I did a thing at the Cress Theater. Oh, and there was just I mean, I'm like the old lady now, because there was a some kind of like drum end bass, like very like dubstep concert in the park outside my hotel room. And it was making me so mad. These kids with their dumb step and stool loud turn that bash nectar down.
Speaker 1: Like I was Carnival something like that.
Speaker 2: Like it was so loud and it was really infuriating and I just was like it was bleeding into my my super high density ear plugs and I could hear it even through my earplugs, and I was just like fuming. But San Francisco is very different now, Like it's very like none of none of the real sort of landmarks are there that we knew of. Like all of the stores are different and bar it's just different. Yeah, the bars are different, everything, the restaurants too, everything's different.
Speaker 3: And also I don't think the especially like the way I lived where that first house we lived on a Clayton and Waller with Christy and Dave. I think I paid three hundred and fifty dollars a month for my room. No, it was the room under the stairs that I think used to had been a broom closet.
Speaker 2: But it was a Victorian I mean it was like it was a great apartment, very beautiful apartment with huge windows and like bay windows in that front. I mean it was like a classic San Francisco Victorian house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we got I mean those guys paid, so our rent must have been thirteen to fifty a month, because I think Dave and Christy paid five and I've paid three fifty.
Speaker 1: And now that house is fifteen million.
Speaker 3: Jo Really like, I think if you rented that first floor apartment of the Victorian house, you would pay five thousand a month, especially because it's.
Speaker 1: Upper hat at least. Yeah, my comedy hometown was Off Texas.
Speaker 4: I moved there in like ninety nine, and Margaret, I remember you being there. I just remember how cool you were because you were politically active. I didn't know comics could make have uh sway things politically like you did.
Speaker 1: Although yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Same sex marriage stuff way early two thousands and I.
Speaker 1: But wasn't there. I maybe it wasn't in Austin.
Speaker 4: I don't know where it was, but didn't like police come to your I remember some kind.
Speaker 2: Of thing that happened with me and Bruce Daniels. I believe it was like we had protesters in like Houston or something, which was super weird. Oh, it was a whole like anti gay thing. And then there was like a bomb threat in a There was like mine threats in different places like Houston and Atlanta. Sometimes. The early two thousands was really weird to get like trolled by conservatives, Yeah, because it was very it was pretty violent, you know, and you would get like, yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what I bring it up. It's like your way ahead of your time. I mean that that kind of thing probably happens to comedians all the time.
Speaker 1: Now, well it's because of Instagram. Very weird.
Speaker 2: It's definitely different.
Speaker 4: That was like early two thousands, right, I remember I thought you got arrested or something. I didn't know the whole story, but yeah, I thought it was so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very cool. It was very cool. Thank you. But it's definitely something that I think now people sort of take for granted, you know, political comics. But back then it was definitely different.
Speaker 1: It was for sure, and it was the kind of thing work, good work.
Speaker 3: Did you see that thing when this Britney Spears the conservatorship and everything, all that stuff came up and there was somebody posted the cover of Details magazine from two thousand and three and she's on the cover, but all of the little like headline kind of things of what the different articles were in that magazine were so atrociously awful and agro and missa genistic and crazy, and I was like, oh, that's right, that was just regular to us like that. The generation that we came up in in comedy, especially female comics, were so used to this kind of like serious ship and real active and like very pointed misogynistic shit, like just constantly, and you were just kind of like, yeah, that's just how it is.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a normal joke with her and the little kids from Full House, like ooh, countdown to eighteenth yoursday, like on a mainstream magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: It is so disgusting, but it's like even dogs Dogs.
Speaker 1: She didn't like it. She didn't like it at all.
Speaker 2: Well, she's like Amanda Bynes, his next, she needs to.
Speaker 1: Be needs to be dated for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was such a it was like a reaction against feminism because I think it was like the Riot girl movement had really made an impression on people and bands like Hole and all of this stuff that was coming out of Seattle, like everything like was going on that was a real testament to being a woman and like Lilith Fair and stuff like that. So there was this kind of counter thing of like, now we're post feminism, we can make fun of women because they're equals, right, their equals right.
Speaker 3: Oh but it wasn't well because it wasn't funny. It was like countdown to their eighteenth birthday where.
Speaker 1: It's like it especially look at this is some whoever's.
Speaker 3: At the center of this has an issue that they need to sign.
Speaker 1: I didn't make that up, No, no, no, that was what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like a disturbing And also then you think about that where it was like yeah it was Britney Spears and it was Christina Aguilera and they were being dressed up like school girls, and they were part of a machine that was absolutely you know, like guiding them that way isn't like this is my artistic expression.
Speaker 2: It's really scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no wonder we were on so many drugs. What we spos to.
Speaker 2: Well doing to be a smart woman then was to really kind of like always be gas lit by society and be questioning your choices and questioning your presence. And in comedy it was really hard to know like where do we belong or where should we exist? Even I think that's why I I we all like really worshiped Jenny Garoffalo because she was so sure and who she was what she was doing, Like how can somebody be.
Speaker 1: So sure from the beginning?
Speaker 3: Yeah for real and so funny like yeah and yeah, kind of the permission to the permission to be that way and to kind of really try to try to work to be that way as opposed to working to please, you know, the audience, which probably is predominantly men. They're just it was just such a weird, like looking back now, it was like, oh, yeah, there were these decisions we were all kind of making without discussing it because it wasn't it wasn't of the time at all. And in fact, that was back when like when people would be asked actresses would be asked if they were feminists back then, and it would be like, oh no, I like everybody. They would give these answers that would break to my heart. It would just be like wait off, like why would you say that? Thinking that it would be the easiest thing in the world to, yes, declare yourself a feminist because you're a successful woman being interviewed for a magazine, and it would be just be like, oh no, I don't like any of that stuff that alienates people, where it's like you don't like being paid the same as the guy that does the same job as you, Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh I didn't know. I didn't realize that's what it meant.
Speaker 2: Will you see the one have to get into a fight because there was this idea that feminists were like angry and man hating and had to wear overalls or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, maybe it's a way of dismissing it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to get in that argument or even that discussion right now, so I'll just say I like everyone, so we can move on to.
Speaker 2: I would wear overalls with like a bra, Like who is this person? Like that's so weird to me now, Like the last time.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all it was in fashion and it was that kind of thing where it was like that's that thrift stor thing of like make an outfit out of this old garbage. But the time I was on TV the America's Funniest People, I was wearing overall short oh how cute overalls on the top and then cut off at the knees and rolled up.
Speaker 1: That's a door party at the bottom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so funny because I knew you. And when that I saw that in a rerun you I don't know where you were.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like the Venice Beach. It was old sack.
Speaker 3: I just started stand up like three months before I did that.
Speaker 1: Well, it was like a Valley Shakespeare blades.
Speaker 4: Hey, I remember thinking it was. I remember thinking it was funny. It's like, well that wasn't a home video. That was just early comedian where.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah they were.
Speaker 3: They told everybody come down and you might be on TV. And then I drove down there with Dave. I'll never forget that. I drove down there. We drove by and there was like a crowd. There was just one guy with a you know, like a camera on his shoulder and a person holding the mic and then like a small crowd, probably fifteen people, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, keep going, I can't do this, like I keep.
Speaker 3: Driving, and Dave's like noking, and you're going to go and.
Speaker 1: Do it, and he made me do it.
Speaker 4: And the other people were doing magic tricks or handstands and were like.
Speaker 3: Knock knock jokes. It was like, you know, it was America's funniest people. It was just like, what do you got funny?
Speaker 1: Tell us? How are you funny?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I still couldn't do that. We got to start somewhere.
Speaker 4: This isn't the time of the place, and I'd walk away.
Speaker 3: I can't just be funny off the top of my head. I mean it was that too. Was that kind of thing where starting stand up was such a scary thing, like I wanted to do it so bad, but I was so scared. Like the first time I did it, I've told the story a thousand times on this podcast, but I went hysterically blind for like five seconds before I did my first set.
Speaker 1: And it was that kind of thing, but somehow I did it anyway.
Speaker 3: And then once you're kind of over that hulmp, It's like then you're in the mix.
Speaker 1: And you're like, Okay, what's next and where do I go? And how do you know? Where do I do sets? And how do I keep doing this?
Speaker 2: Was that at the Metro?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's right, Yeah, the Metro.
Speaker 4: That's why we all of our stories are about drinking and doing drugs because I was a pretty good kid.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess I drank in college, but I was so scared to be on stage because who the hell is comfortable?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's totally normal that I'm in front of people.
Speaker 4: Of course I drank in order to be It's it's like an occupational hazard. And if you live somewhere like Austin where it's like, hey, here's your cigarettes and your your open my comedy kit and your shiner beer. I every night was how I would get on stage. Otherwise I don't think I would have done it. Not that I'm crediting alcohol with starting my career, but it kind of did. It's just it unfortunately sticks because it's also very addictive. Yeah yeah, yeah, no more no more sober sober stage time.
Speaker 1: Well, certainly nobody's better performance.
Speaker 3: So it helps you get no, it never has, but then once you're there, you actually have to do something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't have actual performance and it sort of it just gets in the way later, like, but it does help you get the over the fear or the dread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And then afterwards everything the celebration of I just did that. So I'm going to drink nineteen beers no fun or.
Speaker 4: Or I didn't do well. Let me have eighteen piers because I didn't do well. It's one lass beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll by having one less beer.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'll drink a whole bottle of Maker's Mark and then I'll call up a Pilates commercial.
Speaker 1: Or machine will do it for me. This machine will make.
Speaker 2: Me do it all.
Speaker 4: I hope that machine finally shows.
Speaker 1: Up, Margaret, it's still not here.
Speaker 4: It's so hard, you know, they make that same thing happened with this refrigerator I ordered.
Speaker 1: Karen's tired of hearing about it.
Speaker 3: Chris ordered himself a four foot refrigerator from across the country.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he got it was like retro. It was maroon a snag. It's like that but nicer.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it looks like a classic hot rod for a dad to have Coca A collection. Yes, it's got flames up the side and a spider Man mural.
Speaker 1: But it took I ordered.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to get it from home to or whatever, so I ordered it from some old guy and he put it on a post a note and it fell behind a desk whatever.
Speaker 1: It took like five months.
Speaker 4: But maybe that's what's happening with your pilates machine, Tony Little is.
Speaker 3: Just that's like the operator at that place is like finally moves over some like some papers over and it's like, what's.
Speaker 1: The oh shoe two four h oh? I got to express this. We don't even make those anywhore.
Speaker 3: I recently moved and then got rid of a bunch of stuff that was in my garage, and there was a pilates machine that I had ordered and I had never touched it.
Speaker 1: So it came.
Speaker 3: I set it up, and then I put it in a closet and never just never even tried to use it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I have yoga mats that my cat had pete all over that I'd never even enrolled. They're in the garden. It's like, I just I don't know why I think buying it's enough.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do anything right that moment that you have when you're watching it and you're like, this is it I'm going to change.
Speaker 1: This is how I'm going to be different. It's so funny.
Speaker 4: I ordered one of those half balls with a surface.
Speaker 1: On the other it's like a balance ball.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, well, that'll get if I leave it in the living room and it's right here on the floor. If I leave it there, I'll it'll make me every time I walk by it, I'll have to do some crunches. But no, I just step over it or stub my toe on it. So far, it's been a real hazard.
Speaker 3: I did that with a mini trampoline because I was like, hey, when I'm watching TV, it's all that stuff, and it's like the first time I tried to do it, I was like, a mini trampoline is hard. Like if you stop doing it and then you're just trying to continue bouncing for half an hour, I was immediately exhausted, Like this isn't fucking fun.
Speaker 1: I was so mad. Yeah, you think you're going to be doing little backflips.
Speaker 3: Now you immediately are like, ooh, my die muscles, I never use these.
Speaker 1: Well have we done it? Have we talked about everything? I mean, we've done we've done it.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to tell Margaret I watched Face Off the other night and I kept pausing it. I did not know you were in Face Off, So I just wanted to say that it was so awesome that you were ate.
Speaker 2: So much pie during the making of that movie that they had to add a stretchy panel to the back of the suit. Because the movie takes place over I think the span of about a week, but we filmed over a year and a half because of all the stunts. So I had to actually add a stretchy elastic in the back of my suit because I.
Speaker 1: Was someone bringing pies to set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was eating pie with John Travolta like he was. He started to invite me into his trailer for lunch. Yes, I don't know why, but we would just eat and he yeah, but we would eat like some kind of paste, like a beep Wellington for lunch and then pie. And then one time he ate a whole boys and Berry pie just to the head with one pie to the head with a with a fork, just no slices the lie. And so that's the kind of eating that I was like accustomed to over the year, like a king like him, and so I gained so much weight that there's like a stretchy panel on the back. They were so mad at me at the costume department, but you know.
Speaker 3: Oh, I felt that coustomers customers hate it when you're a size eight. So I can't imagine what would happen if you had to have them add a panel.
Speaker 2: They had to cut it and then sew it in because they had to have the same suit.
Speaker 1: Because we were like.
Speaker 2: Shooting I think the beginning of a scene like in January, but then the end of the scene like in December.
Speaker 1: So it was a very it.
Speaker 3: Was it was rough, but that was really I remember when that came out. It was so exciting because aren't you an FBI agent or like a you're a some kind.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm like an FBI agent. So it's one of the you know the movie The Conceit is like half of the movie it's like John Devolden. The other half is Nick the case. He was really he's in character the whole time, so he was really mean to us, like the first part of the film. For the first six months, he was just an asshole, okay, and in the next six months, Yeah, next six months. He was really nice because he's in character for the whole time.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, so method. It was so method.
Speaker 2: So it was like certain, like it's scary to work with somebody that's kind of in character the whole time. I mean, I don't know if he does that now, but it was really scary then.
Speaker 4: And of course he's the scariest persons all the days, but he's Yeah, but he would make I would be scared to be near him well.
Speaker 3: Because that he's like one of those like uh Steppenwolf rock and roll actors where he's like in it into the max and whatever, like, and he's so accomplished that like it's like a tornado where he's gonna come on and like make it his own.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's the kind of thing like anytime I've ever done any kind of acting, the second anything happens that I didn't anticipate, I'm like, oh, I shouldn't be doing this, Like it makes me weirdly like all my I just wouldn't be able to be in a scene, even if I was just supposed to be standing there, because I would get so like freaked out by actual like and that's the whole game of acting is like you come in and you're this persona and you're you know, like your energy and all that stuff, and.
Speaker 1: I would just be like, ooh, it don't it's scary.
Speaker 2: It was scary because I was in a scene with Nick once that he's he's I supposed to yell for the medic and then he collapses, but he decided that he wanted to collapse first before I yelled medic. So I kept on doing it as it was written, and then he just turned to like, well, you just wait for me to fucking call it. And John Willcoms He's like, oh, do wait for him to.
Speaker 1: Call it?
Speaker 2: And I was like so like mortified, you know, like I'm just doing what was the script that I was just like so scared, But you know, it's just that's how.
Speaker 1: It is, how it is. What is this show you're in? Kim?
Speaker 4: Joel Booster has been on our show before, and he's terrific.
Speaker 1: You're you're in a show with him? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did a movie with him in Bowie Yang called Fire Island, which is a reimagining of Pride and Prejudice but with all Asian gay men, and it's really really fun and.
Speaker 1: We just finished, it's beautiful. What part are you in pride and prejudice?
Speaker 2: I'm the mom. I'm the mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like all of my daughters are going to find mister Darcy. And it's really I had such a great time with them and they're so funny. We had our own podcast network, so Joel's is for Your Confirmation is his podcast, and then Bowen's is The Yang Over, which I think is a really good one. And so it's like, I just I love them. There's just the new generation kids take it over gay comedy.
Speaker 3: I love Bowen Yang is killing it on SNL so hard and so in such a beautiful way. It's just such an exciting thing. And Joel comb Booster is like I remember when I first saw him, like outside a club or where you know some some are people doing sets, and he really does look like a model.
Speaker 1: Like he funny, there's.
Speaker 2: No way, he's so funny, truly, really.
Speaker 1: One of the best stand ups.
Speaker 2: He's such a great stand up and he's such a great writer, and he's just so beautiful, so beautiful. He's such a but everybody on that film is so gorgeous, and it was like all these guys and they all worspitos and you know, than me, just like eating bye.
Speaker 1: You with your boys and berry pie. Yeah, my whole pie. But it's like they're all had like veins.
Speaker 2: On their stomach. Their bodies are so perfect.
Speaker 1: It's like, what the hell ya.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty one days? I think the pressure is immense. It's it's so very much like the Calista Flockhart nineties for us, is how it is for them today. Yeah, because it's they're all perfect. I mean, they're like, it's it's crazy, but that's so cool. I So that's a movie that's going to come out.
Speaker 2: It's a movie that's coming out, and so that we just wrapped that a couple of weeks ago. Oh okay, So so I think it'll probably it'll probably be at next summer. It's a big summer movie.
Speaker 1: Amazing. What else? What else? Any other plugs?
Speaker 2: H plugs?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: I'm doing stand up? I am at Largo the day before Halloween. I don't know if this will be on by then, but then I'll be at Oh and then I'm going to Recivic for the flight attendant for a while.
Speaker 1: Are you the TV show? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Oh? If Michelle Gomez is still on it. Please say hi to her for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was the greatest. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know yet, but I will be there starting in a little bit, so I'm a few.
Speaker 1: Iceland. Have you been there, Margaret, No, I've never been there. I haven't been either. I want to go so bad.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's awesome. Yeah cool.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to all of the Goodman's daughters, all the what is it, Goodman's son, Goodman's daughters, that's all their names are, Yeah, basically. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you were talking about York's extended family.
Speaker 2: No, but they're like so many of them. Yes, there's like a like like pretty much everybody's named that they Yes.
Speaker 1: And also everybody lives like the southern uh, just a little southern arc of the whole island.
Speaker 3: It's just that everybody lives down here because the rest of it is volcanoes and ice. Oh wow, a magical place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never been, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Margaret. Thank you for being here with us. You're the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you, You're the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the coolest. It's really good to meet you.
Speaker 2: So awesome. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it for us, right, Yeah, yeah, you've been You've been listening to Do You Need Ride d yn Aar.
Speaker 1: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: Produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 1: Engineered by Stephen Ray.
Speaker 3: Morris, mixed by Roy Tanaka.
Speaker 1: Theme song by Karen Kilgara, artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 4: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d yn ar Podcast.
Speaker 3: For more information, go to exactly write me dot com.
Speaker 4: Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thank you and you're welcome. I like to I like to pause before the horn