Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: I'm that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for dake Ato steak? Is that whoo whoo? And no Dan and Tie?
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome to the bonus. Only Homers allowed, which we of course named after this, but.
Speaker 3: You let in Homer Clublet look it just no Homeers. We're allowed to have one.
Speaker 2: I feel so lift yoed.
Speaker 1: And today, as you already know because you've looked at the name of the episode you've downloaded or are streaming this episode, we are talking about LSU. And we're not just talking about LSU because the Alabama game is tomorrow, I guess depending on when you're actually listening to this. If you're listening to this in like mid January, congratulations, I appreciate your patience and just savoring this like a nice old bottle of wine. But for everybody else, this isn't really about the Alabama game. This is just about you know, nine weeks into the season, we stand here with LSU at seven and one, with some pretty big, if not unexpected wins. I think seven of the eight teams that they've beaten our FBS teams with winning records, which is a pretty crazy accomplishment. Not that LSU can necessarily control how good their opponents are, but they can definitely control which side of the win and lost column they end up at the end of sixty minutes, and LSU certainly has done a very good job of that for a number of reasons, which we are now going to get into with Sports illustrateds Ross Dellinger, who of course has covered LSU for many, many years and is now on sort of a national beat for SI, but still incredibly connected and insightful with all things LSU, so he was sort of a no brainer to have on to talk about the Tigers. So as we get into that momentarily, just a friendly reminder you can follow us on Twitter. It's just solid verbal Facebook, Instagram is always always a good time. Join our pick and pool if that's something you're in too, and you can check out our stories. We're going to be releasing some new shirts here very soon. I know we've said that many times. I swear we do mean it, and you will know and you will find out if you follow us on Twitter or Instagram or Facebook. We will alert you to that we've done a couple of these Homer shows a couple of weeks ago at Jeff Schwartz of a number of different places but including the Action Network and some radio appearances as a host. He hosts radio. That's good, good for Jeff because he's really good at it. And last week Mike Golick Junior with Ty talking about all things Notre Dame and a little bit of caffeine, did a great job. Love Mike Golick Junior as well. We're going to break our offensive line streak, our former offensive lineman streak here though, with Ross Dollinger who still is in Baton Rouge and does a great job and excited to talk to him. So why don't we just go into that. And with that, we are now joined by Sports illustrateds Ross Dellinger. I'm sorry, I only read your name. I don't know how to pronounce it. If I'm pronouncing it correctly, is that right?
Speaker 2: You did? You got it right? Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. That's a relief who obviously covered LSU for a long time down in Baton Rouge, but is now covering all sorts of stories around college football. Four Sports illustrated, but still based in Baton Rouge. So I figured, you know what, this is a great option. This is somebody who probably has a lot of thoughts and a lot of insights. So I will start right here with LSU's I think surprise season to some Are you surprised by LSU's success thus far this season?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am. I probably wasn't quite as down on them as some others were, but I did not certainly expect them to be seven to one right now. You know, the games against Florida, Auburn, Georgia in Miami, those four games, I didn't expect them to go three and one in those games, you know, at best, I was thinking they would go too and one of those games and be sitting here at six and two and really got missed the state too, And they were supposed to be a really good team in in the season, so.
Speaker 2: You throw them in and so yeah, I did not expect them to be seven and one, probably at best six and two. And I would have probably my pick would have been something like five and three right now, you know. So I didn't expect them to be this this uh this.
Speaker 3: Strong, you know, and and and I think the real big difference, as crazy as it sounds. As a kicker, uh, you know, they got a Division two kicker transfer to come in.
Speaker 2: I think else you missed the most field goals of any program in the nation last year.
Speaker 3: They missed eleven, and they got a kicker to come in, a transfer kicker. And I said it was Ron says, when they get in, so when they get past the thirty five yard line, they know they.
Speaker 2: Have three points. And he's been incredible.
Speaker 3: And he's he's really helped them tremendously in pretty.
Speaker 2: Much every game you can look.
Speaker 3: I mean, he made four field goals in one game five and the other he's he made the he made the game winning kick against Auburn.
Speaker 2: He's been incredible. And they've always had a good defense with Dave Randon.
Speaker 3: When you throw a kicker in in an offense that is a little more versatile than it's been in the past, so it's throwing some different things out there, you get a team that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: On that note, how did the cold Tracy thing happen? Not that LSU was out scouring the sort of grad transfer market in any sort of shady way, but what was there a connection? Was there you know, enthusiasm from Cold Tracy in his camp. I guess to get into a high level program. You don't see that specific kind of jump all that often.
Speaker 3: No, it actually goes back to Los Angeles. Cold Tracy is from out in California and LSU's special teams coordinator, who had been in the NFL for years, had kind of put out feelers that.
Speaker 2: They were looking for a grad transfer. He put out some feelers to scouts in NFL, scouts and others.
Speaker 3: And coaches and someone I mean his name, I'm missing his name, but he's a special teams coordinator I.
Speaker 2: Believe in Iowa State, and he is.
Speaker 3: He played, he played at USC and he actually played under Origeron I believe in the late nineties of Pete Carroll Era.
Speaker 2: And so there was that little connection there.
Speaker 3: He and he got he knew of Cold Tracy from California, Cold LSU.
Speaker 2: LSU you know, reached out or what not to Assumption.
Speaker 3: College and Cold Tracy at Division two school up in Massachusetts, and boom, you know, he ends up arriving arriving at LSU within a few months of being contacted.
Speaker 2: And he was a grad transfer.
Speaker 3: So he plays immediately and he had one year of eligibility, and yeah, he's been incredible for him. I think he's missed two or three field goals. I don't know exactly his numbers. He's around twenty twenty two makes something like that. I mean, it's been been pretty incredible. Set of LSU record made Bob field goals in a game earlier this year.
Speaker 2: I think it was against Missippi State. It's just been, Uh, he's been incredible, I really have.
Speaker 1: All Right, we'll stay on the topic of grad transfers obviously, because a huge story was Joe Burrow's arrival and performance thus far. As they've won a lot of games, what is the what would you say, is there is there a consensus about Joe Burrow's season thus far with you know, amongst the people whose eyeballs are most trained on him, coaches, fans, anybody in general. Is there a general feeling of like, he's not the most consistent guy, but he's definitely a timely guy and he's ours. Is there any sense like that?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, what what LSU wanted in a quarterback is honestly, it's somebody that they've had in the past. As crazy as that sounds they want somebody who just manages the game well, doesn't make mistakes. They know they have some pretty good skilled players around Joe, and they always have a solid running game, even though they didn't return a big running back, so they just kind of needed that guy with with that so called you know, moxie and that leadership skill and that ability to make plays with the steel a little bit and not turn the ball over. And Joe has checked all of those boxes, specifically the leadership.
Speaker 2: Kind of moxie box.
Speaker 3: And his numbers aren't great, and they don't, you know, ELSI, because because this defense is so good, it's running game is always so strong, they don't really need the numbers to be great.
Speaker 2: I think deeper into Edwards tenure.
Speaker 3: Here two three years from now, I think you would like a quarterback that can make.
Speaker 2: A little more plays and have a little more passing game. But right now this is suiting them.
Speaker 3: And Joe hasn't made a lot of turnovers, but more so, he's really kind of won the team and he's uh, you know, with his leadership and and just his his his ability to be that gritty kind of player who in key situations makes plays. So his stats aren't great, but in key situations he makes plays and he's got that kind of leadership ability. And again across the ball from him, the defense is so strong that he doesn't need to go out and be crazy. And he's got a great kicker that yeah, that they feel comfortable when they cross that thirty five yard line if they have at least three points. So all that kind of helps him be the player that he is.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned in two three years, because Burrow will be back next year, has another year of eligibility in two three years, Coach O and the offensive staff imagine or picture or have excuse me a vision for what perhaps the quarterback of the future looks like for LSU or the system the scheme of the future looks like for LSU. Are we in a a one point zero of this offense with you know, the transition from from Matt Canada to Steve Ensminger And if so, what is that grand vision? Does this offense look appreciably different in two or three years with time?
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's weird because when when Nano's run took over, he preached to having you know, a balanced offense with a passing threat that ls who hadn't had in.
Speaker 2: A few years.
Speaker 3: He kind of wanted that, and he wanted more of a spread offense. They are slowly slowly making their way toward that spread scheme and you can see it. Actually, Nick Saban talked about it earlier this week. He said, this is unlike any LSHI team we've ever faced. They don't just run the ball over and over again. It was kind of a I'm sure he didn't mean it, but it was kind of a.
Speaker 2: Slap in the face of Less miles. But you know, but it is.
Speaker 3: LSU was slowly getting there where they're starting to spread the ball out a little more. They're starting to spread the field a little more. We're seeing four or five receiver sets, We're seeing some spread concepts that Less did run a whole lot, and even Edwards running them didn't run a whole lot last year or even during his interim season. So we're seeing them slowly get toward, you know, transitioning the offense from more of an archaic I formation, run heavy to this kind of spread deal and it's just going.
Speaker 2: To take time, you know. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's like switching a difference from a four to three to three four which LSU did also the last few years. It takes two or three years to get there, to get the personnel, and I think we're slowly seeing that start. And you know, as far as the quarterback, you know, a lot of the offense too will be dictated on the quarterback and what they're recruiting for who they get in the next few years.
Speaker 2: So still a lot remains to be seen.
Speaker 3: But you can tell this offense and what Saban said was really kelling earlier.
Speaker 2: This week and that this is a much different offense.
Speaker 3: They use a lot of different formations.
Speaker 2: They spread you out a little more.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the the defensive shift from a four three to three four. Of course under Dave Randa when he was hired under previous regime and at Orizron was tasked with helping to execute Dave Randa's vision and is now Dave Randa's boss, retaining Miranda, who's obviously done a much more powerful job, a really good job than anything else. What is the dynamic, like, you know, going from somebody an assistant in having had Oorzron be hit one of his assistants, to now being his boss. What is that that interpersonal situation like between coach O and Dave Randa.
Speaker 2: That's a great question for Dave Randy if only we were able to talk to him around that. As most schools shut off their their assistance, LSU does so as well. But you know, Dave, I do.
Speaker 3: I've covered the team long enough where I know that Dave and Ed's relationship has always been pretty dang good. They have been in really the relationship Dave had with a lot of people, it's really good. Dave is a kind of very laid back, chill guy, very kind of quiet, cerebral approach to everything, and so he's kind of the ying to.
Speaker 2: Edwards runs Yang I mean and his loud, screaming motivational. So they're kind of the opposite in in a lot of ways. I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: And they have I think they have they have. The marriage between those two has been.
Speaker 2: Been really solid, and you know, it.
Speaker 3: Speaks to how important Dave Miranda is to this football program. When you look back at January and what happened, you know, Texas and m came in and tried to poach Dave and gave you know, throughout a lot of money, and LSU threw out more or just as much. And Dave is now the highest paid defensive quarter in the nation two and a half million dollars a year, so he basically got a million.
Speaker 2: Dollar raise out of that, that out of A and M's interest.
Speaker 3: And for unless you to do that, to really pony up like that to tell you all you need to know about one David D's relationship into how important school leaders think, including at Orizon, I think Dave Randa, how important Dave A.
Speaker 2: Randa is to this place. They knew they couldn't lose.
Speaker 1: Him in terms of and this is more of the micro in terms of developments which I guess position group and really coach an assistant to you has stood out in its improvements and success. Really nine weeks in.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Jerry Sullivan was hired over the offseason.
Speaker 2: He's an old time, longtime.
Speaker 3: Receivers coach in the NFL and he really people around.
Speaker 2: Here kind of rave about him.
Speaker 3: He was a consultant last year and then promoted him to It's kind of like a passing game coordinator slash receivers coach, and you know from it and I don't necessarily know if I could tell this from just watching video and games and things like that.
Speaker 2: But you just hear about people's talk.
Speaker 3: Around the program about his influence on the receivers, and you do see a couple of receivers, you know, like Justin Jefferson LS who's leading receiver.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was a three three star kid that.
Speaker 3: Barely qualified, joined the team late a couple of years ago, and he's now, you know, leading LSU. He's the go to kind of guy, and for Jerry to kind of have molded him has been really impressive. So you know, I mean, he's he's probably been one of the more impressive assistance.
Speaker 2: And then you got to look at Stevensening or two, and he hadn't been a full time offensive.
Speaker 3: Coordinator in almost twenty years really, and Edward Ron gave him this chance in his home state, both ed and Stever they're pretty close in the boat from Louisiana, and he gave him this chance, and you know, he's he's been doing a solid guy. I mean, they're not enough the scoreboard, but they're doing just enough.
Speaker 1: If you were to look through your mentions on a Saturday, and really why would you, But if you were to to dip into that feed, where do you sense the typical LSU fan is most excited and most disappointed with this team. And it's hard to be too disappointed, granted with the record and the teams that they've beaten, but whe's where's the excitement, where's the disappointment?
Speaker 3: Well, right now, given the Devin White situation, they're most disappointed with the SEC offense. Yep.
Speaker 2: But you know, as far as just the.
Speaker 3: Team, you know, I well, first of all, they had completely rallied behind the new quarterback Joe Burrow in the new kicker, Cold Tracy. They know those two people, of those two players have been essential to this run.
Speaker 2: And so I think, you know, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of my mentions flooded with with with comments about those you know, good comments about those two players.
Speaker 2: Where where I.
Speaker 3: Think there could be a struggle is the same spot in a lot of ways, that has been a struggle here at times and has just been kind of a lightning rod throughout college football. Every fan base is the offensive line.
Speaker 2: And you see that here. I mean that that's the.
Speaker 3: Offensive line is is is criticized pretty heavily. They've they've gone through a lot of injuries here. I think they've played I want to say four or five different started four or five different sets of offensive line and in the.
Speaker 2: Eight games this year, so it's been kind of a maligned group.
Speaker 3: So I would probably point to that, you know as maybe, uh maybe a weakness somewhat that LSU fans kind of jump on the team.
Speaker 1: For fair And I think it was you who did this, maybe you had retweeted or something, But looking at the recent signees at quarterback and what became of them over these last few years, because LSU has sort of infamously and this isn't necessarily unique to the Tigers, but there's been a lot of wash out at quarterback just as it's become a very difficult position to evaluate and develop. Does the future look brighter with some continuity with Joe Burrow for a couple of years that they're not going to rely on anybody particularly young? What does I guess the longer term future at quarterback look like? And is there reason for optimism?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, behind Joe is Miles Brennan.
Speaker 3: He's a sophomore, very highly ready to sophomore from the Mississippi Coast that many people.
Speaker 2: Thought would probably be the starter this year before Joe came in. And so I think there's still.
Speaker 3: Some hope there that that Miles can after Joe leaves take over. I think the issue is, you know, if Miles wasn't ready this year and they had to bring in Joe, what does.
Speaker 2: That say about Miles.
Speaker 3: So there's there's some maybe some concern there beyond that it looks actually not great because you you lost to Justin McMillan in.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, his name is escaping me.
Speaker 3: But two quarterbacks trains, two scholarship quarterbacks trans for this summer. So elis she's only got two quarterback, two scholarship quarterbacks on.
Speaker 2: The team right now.
Speaker 3: It's Joe and it's Miles and and uh man, it's it's uh so you're in a pickle.
Speaker 2: You you need to sign some quarterbacks. So that is all eyes.
Speaker 3: Are kind of on that on the recruiting chair trail, I mean, and it was run has got to get himself stocked up there at the quarterback position. We all know, uh that that's a position that the attrition.
Speaker 2: Uh is, is always an issue and it has been for l s U.
Speaker 3: And it's come back this summer when when those two players left, so not.
Speaker 2: That they were going to play a whole lot but they still added depth. And you know, and if the thing is is, you know, Elsie's offense is constantly.
Speaker 3: Changing, and they haven't really said on on one thing.
Speaker 2: And and you know Steve Innjminer's future and he's he's a little older. You got to wonder how long he's he's going to go.
Speaker 3: So I'm not sure if they even know exactly what direction they want to go in the future with a quarterback, and so that that's an issue, and that's something that man, that that is that is certainly being watched.
Speaker 2: Is what else she's going to do the future at quarterback or position here? As you mentioned, it's just just always maligned. It seems like, do.
Speaker 1: You get the sense that because there seems to be more consistency, more job security for ed Orgeron, you know, this far into the season, performing like Elis who has has thus far, then certainly where Elis who was last year, the beginning of this year, you know, the tail end of less miles tenure where rumors sort of dogged him for the last couple of two three years about his job security. Do you get the feeling that recruits are more confident in a more stable LSU moving forward, Well, I would.
Speaker 3: Think so, you know, I mean I haven't talked to any necessarily, but I would think that they would see that there is a more of a stable foundation.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, LSU lost.
Speaker 3: I just did a story on a bunch of recruits that LSU has lost Alabama over the years and how that a lot of times results in this seven game losing streak against the Tide, And one of them was this past year. Patrick Hutan, the cornerback from Florida, and I remember his dad going on record saying that his son basically chose the more stable coach and Nick Staban instead of ed Orgeron, where.
Speaker 2: Everybody thought that.
Speaker 3: Patrick certain was going to come to LSU had been leaning that way for two years or more, and he went to Alabama in you know, and I think it was all because of the coach's stability.
Speaker 2: So they do lose recruits because of that, and.
Speaker 3: I think that prospects should probably start seeing, especially given what's happened the first eight games this year, that things are a little more stable around here than maybe they thought.
Speaker 1: So LSU currently has more and I looked it up. I did the research. They currently have more out of state commits than Louisiana commits. Is that a result of a conscious focus shift from the coaches and coach oh or is that sort of by chance, because that's not that hasn't always been or generally isn't the case when you look at these last few classes.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, we actually did like a real big, deep deep dive on the last ten years in LSU recruiting.
Speaker 2: And they usually.
Speaker 3: Get about fifty five to six of their signing classes are from Louisiana, and so they do go out of state more than you might think now that for them to be for them to have more out of centers than Louisiana, and I'll have to go back and look, but that's rarely happened.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if down the stretch here that won't.
Speaker 3: Even back out and they'll get a few laid Louisiana. But you know the thing about ed Oorzron is you know he's they're going to go out and uh while they want to lock down the state and all that, they're going to go out and get the best players. And they've made a focus on East Texas and LSU's focused there for a while.
Speaker 2: Houston is a huge hub for them. Uh, the Dallas area, all that area.
Speaker 3: They almost they almost view it as in Louisiana and Houston, especially that Elshie's biggest alumni, I guess grouping outside of Louisiana and Houston, so they go there a lot, and you know, they want to spread the brand. I think Ed wants to spread the brand and maybe.
Speaker 2: You're you're seeing that a little bit with the with the outside kind of recruits.
Speaker 3: He's you know, getting out and spreading the brand a little bit.
Speaker 1: Obviously this can change on a dime. And this is my last question, but has Coacho won over this fan base that is, like any other fan base, pretty much always impossible to please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially down here. It's you know, Les Mils won the national.
Speaker 3: Championship in two thousand and seven and LSU and I think eight and five the next year in two thousand and eight, and literally there were people who.
Speaker 2: Wanted him to be fired. And it's just it's crazy here.
Speaker 3: So even a national championship here can't quite save you. But you've got at least you gotta at least get there.
Speaker 2: And that's the I don't think Ed's gonna win over this fan base.
Speaker 3: Until he at least reaches that point where he's playing for a championship, whether i'd be the SEC and the national championship, and at that point, then the next step you have.
Speaker 2: To win it, you know, And until those things happen, I don't think he's won.
Speaker 3: Over quite one over any And honestly, beating Alabama is.
Speaker 2: Huge and it's something that you.
Speaker 3: Know, cost his predecessor his job less miles and he you know, Ed was hired to beat to win championships, and to win championships, you gotta beat Alabama. So it's a big game and I think Ed could certainly win over a little bit of portion of the fan base hit if the Tigers were to win Saturday.
Speaker 1: Okay, and here's my actual final question, because I always like to finish on food because I'm a dork and that's just how I live. You are in Baton Rouge. The game of the century, of the millennium is being played tomorrow excuse me, in a couple of days as we record this on Thursday. But people will be coming in, not just to Alabama fans, not Stells fans, fans of just big college football atmospheres. Where should they eat in Baton Rouge?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's just so many great places early are, I mean South Louisiana. You know, it's hard to pick one, but sure a few Alabama reporters are coming in.
Speaker 2: I'm taking them.
Speaker 3: And I always take, you know, out out outside reporters who come in to this to one place, and it's called pot Rands. It's a it's a restaurant on Perkins Road in Baton Rouge, and it just very kind of the quintessential Louisiana fair in kind of a Louisiana setting.
Speaker 2: They have the you know, all the.
Speaker 3: Gulf seafood, fresh fish and the raw oysters and the barbecue kind of oysters, and so it's it's a great place. And so I would recommend that the one. You know, when you're in Louisiana, you want to eat.
Speaker 2: True South Louisiana food in that setting. And that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I just googled it as you were describing it, and I want nothing more than to go there. That's p A R r AI n apostrophe as looks like there's a good outdoor area. Holy hell, that looks good. Ross Allinger, thank you very much for your time. Everybody follow Ross on Twitter if you aren't doing so already what's wrong with you? Read his stuff on SI dot com Sports Illustrated. Ross, thank you very much for coming on, and we'll have to have you on again, all right, thank you? So there it is. There it was Ross Ellinger of SI. Let us know which team we should do a Homer's Only Homers Allowed show about moving forward as we head into the stretch run of the season. A lot of interesting stories and developments about damn near every team in college football, so let us know who we should hit next with our Only Homers Allowed series. I really enjoy doing them because I think I speak for Tie here as well. We don't have time to deep dive teams, you know, on these preview and recap shows, just because there's so much action to get into. And also we have to talk about Tie almost becoming a weatherman as often as possible in getting now I think we're going to have his forecasts for games, so we're already trying to squeeze in a good amount here. So we will keep doing these only Homers Allowed shows because we want to. And it seems like you like them, at least if you like the team we're talking about on that show. So thanks again, for listening. We are going to be obviously here every Wednesday and Sunday throughout the season and hopefully keep these shows dropping on Friday morning. So for Ty who was not on this show because he definitely has a day job that's very secret, and for Ross Ellinger, thank you very much for listening. This is Dan, so stay solid and peace.