Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Solid Verbal, boys and girls. My name is ty Hildon Brant. I am joined as always by my good friend and colleague and co host over there in beautiful New York City, a gentleman. You know him, is Dan Rubenstein. Dan, Welcome to the Verbies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I wish you had said BLUs straight New York City, because it is in fact BLUs Street today on this Verbie Wednesday, and I am excited and everything is gallants and emotions are running.
Speaker 2: High, blustery Dan, as our stars are walking the red carpet here today.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, who are you wearing? Do you want me to be quite literal? Sure?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say Indo Chino, since they're a sponsor, a longtime sponsor of the Verbal.
Speaker 1: Well, of course I'm wearing Indo Chino. Indochino. Are they a sponsor of the Verbies? They are not, No, Okay. So I'm wearing a T shirt I bought in New Orleans at a coffee shop that I really liked because it was very strong coffee and they had crushed ice, and it is called French truck coffee. So I'm wearing that T shirt and it is very comfortable. It is a Tribelend shirt I.
Speaker 2: Am currently wearing. I shouldn't say this on the air, do it. I am wearing a shirt and it's one of those Hanes white under t shirts. M really dressing up for this gallant occasion here, Gallants.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many times.
Speaker 2: We've done the Verbye Awards. Last year, I hate to spoil the fun. We didn't actually record in Radio City Music Hall. I've been going with that joke for about a year now. I feel like it's probably worn out.
Speaker 1: It's welcome. We did some audio man that was overwhelming. Last year's hi that the awards show people turning out for that was just flabbergasting. It was an overwhelming experience.
Speaker 2: We worked a little audio magic last year and made things sound the way we wanted. Suffice to say it took a lot of time and a lot of effort. It is our off season. We're still doing the Verbies. We're just not going to go all out. We're gonna go back to the old school variety of verbies here in twenty seventeen. So for those of you who are just tuning in, what are the Verby Awards are what are we talking about, Well, a couple of years ago, and it does escape me when in fact we started doing this, But we decided we were going to do our own award show, and I believe it was you. You came up with the concept of the Verby Awards. Kirk Kurbtreet has what the herbies.
Speaker 1: Right, Kirkurbstreet has the Herbies and the preseason Herbies, and we came up with the Verbies and have sort of woven audio magic throughout the years in various ways. I've done this from your mom's house with you. Yeah, I was the first time, I think it was the first time I met her. It was definitely the first time I spent time in Allentown and went to the house in which you grew up. And we've done this show with audio magic with various presenters. We did this show when I was living in la and I remember making Pete Carroll ditching USC and a helicopter jokes on the red carpet, something along those lines. So this has been a long standing postseason award show tradition. Second only, I would say to the Pismen in terms of college football royalty.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so. The way that we've done this over the years. It's varied. Originally, we started coming up with our own awards, and we came up with our own.
Speaker 1: Set of candidates.
Speaker 2: But then as the verballerhood grew, we started allowing people to vote, and then we started allowing people to nominate, and it has now basically turned into a verbaler generated award show. You gave us the nominees, we put them in a form.
Speaker 1: You voted.
Speaker 2: Thousands of you voted on who you thought should win. I've got the results here in La La Land in individual cards DAN that are appropriately labeled, and we're going to go award by award here and announce some winners tonight. The only caveat that I will announce and we've done this before, kind of like a captain's pick or you know what, do they having the voice where they could save one person? Sort of along those same lines. You and I have overriding ability here because it is our show. So if we determine that we want to put someone else in and usurp what our audience out there has voted for, we reserve that right.
Speaker 1: And of course, thanks as always to Price Waterhouse Cooper for keeping track of the safety and security of the final results. On that note, Dan, shall we dive right? I think we should not Coach of the year, all right? Not Coach of the Year. Dan.
Speaker 2: Here are your nominees for basically the reversive coach of the year. A lot of coaches out there in the wide world of college football didn't have a great year. Here were the four that came in above all the others. Butch Jones from Tennessee, Charlie Strong from Texas, Bob Diaco from Yukon, and Brian Kelly from Notre Dame. If you were voting, and I know you voted, who did you vote for?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I'm sort of shocked that both Mark Helfrich and Les Miles didn't make the final four, so a testament to where the heads of the verballers are at. But of these four, I would indeed vote for Bob Diaco, Bobby Iago the depths to which Yukon fell, even though the height the ceiling wasn't going to be as high as perhaps Texas and Texas did lose to Kansas, I think the complete struggle of even adequate football would give it to Bob Diaco.
Speaker 2: For me, I was surprised that Helfrich wasn't on any of the lists. Actually, yeah, that we put out there. We might have gotten a stray helfridch nomination here or there, but not for or not.
Speaker 1: Coach of the Year. I voted for.
Speaker 2: Brian Kelly from Notre Dame, from my beloved Not Dame fighting guy.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to boost that fantasy things overlooking or what was the thing for Brian Kelly. You're just boosting your own fantasy second guessing Brian Kelly. There, it is all right, Dan, dim the lights here we go. Dim the lights they are dimmed.
Speaker 2: Your winner for twenty seventeen, Verbie not Coach of the Year is.
Speaker 1: Brian Kelly. Congreg Do you want to give a speech on his behalf or do you want me to? I'd prefer not to give a speech on behalf of Brian Kelly. I mean listen, first and foremost, Texas, Michigan state, Duke, NC state in not ideal conditions, Stanford in relatively ideal conditions, Navy in just general fine conditions. The lead against Virginia attach in USA couldn't have done it without any of those.
Speaker 2: Here, here's what I'd say. This isn't like a funny speech or anything like that. I voted for Brian Kelly thirty six point eight percent of the vote versus thirty five point one percent of the vote for Butch Jones. So perhaps for a lesser popular contest, my one vote could have made up the difference there. Wow, alas it did not. It was a fair margin, but only by one point seven percent. Clear cut winner and Brian Kelly. I voted for Kelly because so many different things went wrong for Notre Dame. It wasn't like just the defense or just the offense, or just an injury or just a discipline thing. They all kind of occurred to different spots. You could never quite get a fix on this season, and it just it kind of went into a weird death spiral.
Speaker 1: Butch Jones still won like nine games.
Speaker 2: Charlie Strong, you could make a case, Bob Diaco the bottom fell out. Okay, I understand that one too, But Brian ke Kelly was personal. Brian Kelly was obviously much more in the public eye. He is your twenty seventeen knot Coach of the Year, Dan.
Speaker 1: And to sort of have that stink where not only do you beat a team or lose to a team. Excuse me, but after you lose to that team, they in turn start losing. So the influence of Brian Kelly, the influence that he wheels, is far greater than any of these other nominees.
Speaker 2: Brian Kelly was nominated here, but Notre Dame is also nominated later for Busts of the Year. They are also nominated collectively for tire Fire of the Year in their four and eight season, and then Notre Dame Stink is also nominated for Capstone Award here podcast Meme of the Year, La Lala.
Speaker 1: Land of the twenty seventeen burbies. That's right, okay, Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Moving on, Let's get to our next category, Alternate Uniform of the Year. Alright, Alternate Uniform of the Year is a relatively new entrant in the Verby Awards. We've been doing this, I guess about three or four years now. I say that with full working knowledge that I'm not sure how long we've done the verbis for, but it feels like alternate uniform is a newer category. It was suggested by a listener many moons ago, and now here we are. What we're trying to do is call out I say, the coolest alternate uniform of the year, because every school is doing.
Speaker 1: It now, right.
Speaker 2: Do you feel at all like this is like a cheap spin off of what Oregon's done with their uniform situation. Uh?
Speaker 1: Not necessarily, because a lot of these are honoring throwback looks, either in just like replicating the throwback or taking a small chunk of what the university was involved in or what's associated with the university and turning it into something. We've seen this from the service. Academies do various takes on you know, military imagery in very cool ways, in some sort of weird ways, but there's nothing really too futuristic I would say about this year's nominees, which I think is Oregon's hallmark.
Speaker 2: A lot of close voting in this year's Verbi Awards. I'm looking just at this category because again the results are individually wrapped here. I'm not privy to any of these results before the show, but this one was relatively close as well. Alternate Uniforms of the Year. Here are the nominees. One the Army Red Devils uniforms, two the Air Force Shark toothed uniforms. Three the Oregon quote unquote mascot uniform What were the mascot uniforms?
Speaker 1: So the mascot uniforms were for the Colorado game, I believe, which they lost. Last second, the color scheme matched the Ducks Dusk game. So the white helmet with the orange masks for the Duck bill, the green and yellow the same shade jersey, the white pants, and then orange socks and orange shoes to match the Ducks leg and web feet, and then finally pits yellow throwback uniforms. If I'm being honest here, I feel like, what's the coolest? Right?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I feel like Oregon invented this category. Therefore they are a requisite nominee every year they have to be in this category. Beyond that, though, I think the.
Speaker 1: Coolest was far and away the Air Force. The Air Force, look, that was pretty damn cool with the shark teeth, the big shark. Yeah, it looks like an old plane, like the old paint plane, the shark toothplanes they were. They had the paint job that reminded me of like the old World War Two reports, like tell the boys over a seas that they're gonna be receiving the number one pack like that is just a wonderful thing to me. But despite the pies men, I believe being one in Pitt's throwback uniforms, which I like that touch, I still think the mascot you dressing up as the mascot to me as a Homer, as a biased person, I still think the complete look is the best of these four. I like all of these.
Speaker 2: If I am grading them on a scale of one through four, first being my favorite, fourth being my least favorite, I would put Oregon fourth because I think the others are cooler, But that doesn't mean it is not cool in its own right. I liked it, just not as much much as Shark Tooth.
Speaker 1: Okay, the voice I was trying to do. By the way, you know Kats is the deli here, Yeah, in New York. So they have a poster up and it's send a Salami to your boy in the Army, And that's what the Shark reminds me of.
Speaker 3: So I like it.
Speaker 2: Daniel, dim the lights, Oh here I go. You're a winner for twenty seventeen Alternate Uniform of the Year, the.
Speaker 1: Air Force Shark Tooth uniforms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, congratulations to air Force.
Speaker 1: I think it's appropriate and they did a great job with its.
Speaker 2: Thirty five point one percent of the vote went to Air Force. Pits Yellow Throwbacks got twenty seven, Armies Red Devils got twenty point two, and then Oregon did come in fourth with seventeen percent, so relatively close vote. People were not overwhelmingly in favor of one versus the others.
Speaker 1: And a quiet ten win season for Air Force, so the wins keep piling up for the Falcons. They finished the season, they won their bowl game, they beat Boise State, so they finished the air with six wins on the field and a big win off it, Ty send a salami to you boy in the Army. Moving on our next.
Speaker 2: Award, Worst Year Back, Worst Year Back. What does this award mean to you? That is the intrinsic question here. It's meant a lot of different things to us since we started awarding this, let's say three years ago. It was originally because of what happened to Matt Barkley, because, as you know, Matt Barkley had a baller junior year, was a consensus top five pick, and then decided to come back to college. It was pretty much all downhill from there. Matt Barkley never materialized in the NFL. He was a later pick in the NFL draft. He did not cash in when his stock was the highest.
Speaker 1: Worst.
Speaker 2: You're back Matt Barkley senior year. But over time it's come to mean different things. Originally it was supposed to be a junior for going the draft to go for a senior season, but then Christian.
Speaker 1: Hackenberg came around.
Speaker 2: Christian Hackenberg wasn't quite in that in that same situation, right. It just it fell out from under him once James Franklin got to town and then we incorporated him and thought that he was fitting. This year, we've actually incorporated a coach into the field here. So what does does this mean to you?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 1: I think you hit it on the head. I think it's something that you know uncertainty whether a person, coach, player, or whatever is going to come back. So maybe a coach that flirts with the NFL or flirts with taking another job and ultimately decides to remain at his school, or a player flirting with the NFL draft and deciding to come back for another season, something along those lines. And I guess it can mean something else to anybody who's voting the three nominees. I think it sort of means different things. But I think I agree with two of these three as for fitting in the category and being a finalist. The other one I'm not sure about. I'm excited, I can tell you.
Speaker 2: And by the way, that's the way the voting went, for what it's worth, and we'll get into that here. But yes, the fringe candidate every year we've done this has been Pat Fitzgerald. Every year we get a couple suggestions for Pat Fitzgerald. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'm also not saying I fully disagree with it. I understand if you're looking at the Pat Fitzgerald stock report why you might think that Pat Fitzgerald could potentially be a candidate for this. Not a strong enough candidate, but he is the ultimate fringe candidate. The real candidates are as follows. The aforementioned coach, Les Miles, formerly the coach of UNSU, was unceremoniously fired at long last and was sort of only got back as sort of a last minute decision to keep him.
Speaker 1: So he is back in the conventional sense of this award.
Speaker 2: He was back, but just not for as long as Josh Rosen sure or maybe he was Josh Rosen. He only played half the season. Yeah if that, Yeah, I kind of feel like it's unfair for Josh Rosen to be in here.
Speaker 1: He was hurt. That's a bad year back, though, tie, it's a bad year back. Severe nerve damage to your shoulder is not great. Okay, that's fair. And then Christian McCaffrey nicked up, was nicked up, was good while he played poor quarterback play did not help him.
Speaker 2: I feel like Christian McCaffrey had more on his shoulders this season when he wasn't nicked up than he did when Kevin Hogan was still quarterback, and that probably contributed a little bit to reduced output.
Speaker 1: I'm going to cast my vote for less Miles because the uncertainty of will I get fired or won't die at the beginning of last year, after last season, after the twenty fifteen season, compounded with turbulence early on in the season losing your job and then interviewing for a bunch of jobs or meeting with teams for a bunch of new jobs, and everybody just sort of passing. So there's some compound fracturing there for less Miles that I don't think is the same for the others, because Christian McCaffrey ultimately had a pretty good season and well, there's a good chance he'll get drafted in the first round, so ultimately not a terrible year. I voted for less as well. I'm going less. Gim the lights. Here we go. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Moment of truth, you're twenty seventeen worst year back, Josh Rosen. Wow, bit of a stutter, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, going into the season, there was the hype. There was they're going to a pro style offense with Kennedy Palamalu. It's we're going to see an unleashed Josh Rosen a sophomore. You can make a statement early against Texas A and M. You know, they have all this returning talent on defense to put them in good position and just a huge bummer of an injury. It's not a good year back, ty, it is not a good year back.
Speaker 2: Forty one point seven percent versus thirty nine point five percent of the vote, These darn third party candidates and Christian McCaffrey stealing eighteen percent of the vote. I'd be curious if we didn't have cemac in the category, how this would have gone if it might have swung in the favor of less Miles, but.
Speaker 1: A last would you have added somebody else different?
Speaker 2: I feel like these were the two strongest candidates that we received when we initially threw it out there.
Speaker 1: I mean, there was uncertainty about Charlie Strong after last year. Yeah, we got to vote of confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a number of names that you could have thrown in there. I don't know if any of them were particularly strong. I feel like less Miles was the strongest.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's reasonable. I want to say there was some smoke around Lane Kiffin after last year, but again they went undefeated during the regular season. Hart to say it was a bad year back, but it ended unceremoniously.
Speaker 2: Worst year back Josh Rosen so thus far not Coach of the Year Brian Kelly thirty six point eight percent, Alternate Uniform of the Year Air Force's Shark tooth Uniforms thirty five point one and our worst year back Josh Rosen forty one point seven percent of the vote. Will that be the highest percentage of the vote. A lot of close vote totals here, Dan, Let's move on. Let's go to half team of the year Half Team of the Year.
Speaker 1: This is a Dan Rubinstein special here what is half the end of the year? Half Team of the Year is awarded to the team that puts forth the best side of the ball that is paired with the worst side of the ball. So a team that puts out an unbelievable defense, and a couple of examples. A couple of years ago, what inspired this was Missouri's defense was just it was full of NFL players. They locked everybody down, and their offense just couldn't even get a first down. They were just atrocious. The defense kept putting the offense in good position to take advantage of teams could not do anything. We have Texas Tech defense, which I think I believe they're a nominee this year, but even two years ago that offense, oh excuse me. The offense is the half team because of the excruciatingly disappointing defense. And we had Boston College's defense a couple of years ago under Don Brown has since moved on to Michigan. So a number of teams put forth an unbelievable effort on one side of the ball and are completely let down by incompetence on the other. So we want to reward those teams for those struggles that they're in very little control of. Last year, it was a gripping speech by our good friend Steve Dazio. Boston College's defense took the cake last year. This year, I feel we've got a really balanced cast of characters to choose from. Okay, I will read these off in alphabetical order. Florida's defense, h yeah, LSU's defense, absolutely, Pitt's offense, Texas Techs offense. Those year four nominees. I think the weakest entrant here is LSU's defense, not because elis U's defense is bad, but because, by the end of the year, at least under at Orizron, I felt like the offense turned a corner. The two headed running backs. The passing game wasn't there, but they were putting up points. They were moving the ball, but there were moments where games were lost because of an inability to move the ball consistently. When you have that level of NFL defense, elise Used offense should have been better.
Speaker 2: I voted for Florida's defense. Florida's defense carried that football team, and I think what swung my vote in their direction was just the fact that the offense was so unexpectedly bad for a second straight year under Jim mcawain. He's an offensive minded guy. He would expect by now he'd be able to assemble enough parts offensively to feel the better offense. Not that I'm saying I expected them to come out there and be pyrotechnic on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: I never did.
Speaker 2: I just expected more, and the fact that the defense had to carry them again, I just I felt like they deserve something. They deserve something for that effort, and if it's only a lowly verbie, then so be it. But you gotta give them some props. That's why I voted for them. I really feel for that Texas Tech offense. They put up points and against the Big twelve, Texas Tech allowed forty three points six points a game. Wow, that's not good enough.
Speaker 1: I I'm going to say this, it should be easier for Florida, a team who has recently won multiple national championships and has had a Heisman quarterback to field an offense with the available talent that is in state. They should be able to put forth an offense that scores thirty points a game to compliment that Florida should never really win fewer than nine games a year, and had they had an offense, they would have won at least a couple more. So, I think the Florida pick is the right pick. I think, Hey, I'm going there. Half Team of the Year, dim theolights, it's good our drum roll in here. Your winner twenty seventeen Half Team of the Year is Texas Tech Offense. Hey, I see it, I see it. Ty good for them, good f They had an S and P plus defensive rating two years ago of forty one point two. That's atrocious. Last year they improved to forty and they remained the worst efficiency defense in college football while having an NFL caliber quarterback dropped like fifty points a game.
Speaker 2: Thirty seven percent of the vote versus twenty five percent of the vote for Florida. LSU comes in third with about nineteen and Pick comes in fourth with about seventeen percent of the vote. Here, I can't say I strongly disagree with Tech Tech offense selection. In truth, they could have won last year. They could have won an of the last five years if we're being honest here. Yeah, so Texas Tech Offense thirty seven percent congratulations Cliff Kingsbury, Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes actually nominated a little bit later for Losing Effort of the Year, so potentially a really big night here for the Texas Tech Red Raiders football program.
Speaker 1: I think we should exclusively judge Texas Tech's twenty seventeen season by if they are a nominee for this award next year. If they're just not a nominee in either direction for this award, the season was a huge success. I don't even care if they go three and nine without Patrick Mahomes, and if they are here next year, I look forward to seeing how Lincoln Riley will change things in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, if they're here next year, that means Cliff Kingsbury is a nominee for not Coach of the Year, right, Absolutely. Moving on, Let's go to another favorite.
Speaker 1: Crime of the Year.
Speaker 2: Very dramatic Dan Wow, Yeah, worked up Crime of the Year man. Okay, We've had a bunch of odd, odd candidates for this award in the past. We've had guys going into three point stances and charging at the cops. We've had, as we do this year, a guy shoplifting on his Bowl trip to a Belk. Just a bunch of weird stuff that's going on in and around the college football ether since we started doing the verbies.
Speaker 1: This is also a newer.
Speaker 2: Award, but not to be overshadowed at all. One of our favorites. Three really good candidates this year. I already mentioned Jeremy Sprinkle shoplifting from Belk. He did that during his Belk Bowl visit. Excuse me, he played for Arkansas. I believe, if memory serves.
Speaker 1: Belk is a department store for those in the dark, A department store that's correct, Southern department store. Jeremy Sprinkle a great middle name.
Speaker 2: Crime of the year. Shoplifting from a Belk another one that pops up here, and rightfully so. Whoever nominated this was extremely creative, not taking crime literally, but somewhat creatively in saying that Central Michigan's win over Oklahoma State on that bizarre last second play yeah, should qualify as a crime. And I agree Central Michigan's win over Oklahoma State very much a crime because.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't have been a win at all. Oklahoma State got screwed. This is all true.
Speaker 2: The big question for me, though, is whether or not either of those two has what it takes to knock off Wakey Leaks. Wakey Leaks is ty.
Speaker 1: We live in turbulent times, we do fair to say yes and throwing an item on here. Espionage assisting foreign enemies. Yeah, this is You're scratching a lot of people right where they itch dog wake elenx is is right there. I don't know. I do not know how you find something bigger than wake Leaks. Then you finding a radio analyst helping out wake Forest, a wake Forest radio analyst helping out wake Forest opponents during the season by slipping them game plans xerox copies very Americans of wake Forests, or at least a radio announcers. So I don't know how wake e Leaks gets topped. I just don't.
Speaker 2: This is so stupid it could only happen in college football, Sue one of the people say about our podcast, by the way, oh yeah, yeah. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard my entire life.
Speaker 1: Still there, that.
Speaker 2: Somebody would risk their career, and not only their current career, but their future career to try and sell off wake Forest game plans. Yep, I don't even know if he tried to sell them off. He just tried to pawn them off as some sort of revenge scheme.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. And he actually found a couple takers. But I don't know how you top it. I just don't.
Speaker 2: Crime of the Year, We've got Jeremy Sprinkle, we've got Central Michigan, and we've got.
Speaker 1: Wakey Leaks in the lights your winner. Crime of the Year.
Speaker 2: Forty four point nine percent of the vote should have gotten fifty let's hear it for waki Leaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah it has to be.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Forty four point nine percent of the vote goes to Wakei Leaks, thirty two percent going to Central Michigan's quote unquote win over Oklahoma State, and then another twenty two point five percent going to Jeremy Sprinkle shoplifting from a Belk on Arkansas's trip to the Belk Ball.
Speaker 2: Jeremy Sprinkle got a lot more love than I expected. Actually, Central Michigan got a lot more love than I expected. Wakey Leaks to me was the eight thousand pound gorilla in this room. And I'm glad that they took home the hardware. So congratuate has to be, has to be.
Speaker 1: It feels good that, you know, such a deserving candidate is able to take home the gold. We're about halfway through. Oh okay, I'm gonna stretch our Verbie Awards here. Dan, where's the after party the hotel lobby? Okay, you know that, Ty, I don't know if you want to know what happens after the hotel lobby.
Speaker 2: Before we get to our station break, Dan, I'm gonna ask you to bring out your solemn tones.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know where you're going with this.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you to bring out your solemn tones. As you know, not all is fun of games in the college football world. Each and every season, we've got things that go into the great college football beyond.
Speaker 1: They leave us cruel reality. It's time for memoriam. Okay. Eight years of successful Oregon football. The Matt Hatter Notre Dames, one year Navy winning streak, All Missus defensive back Deontay Anderson trying to tackle Leonard Fournette, Louisville's offensive line over and over. Mitch Trubisky's Hurricane completion percentage, Mitchell Mitchell, Deshaun Watson's pants, the time it took to cut Mike Gundy's hair. Texas being back again, Ohio State's Bowl nearly ninety six year non consecutive bowl scoring streak, undefeated, Iowa Went too Young, TI Went too Young, James Franklin's hot seat, the Yukon Fight in Diaco's, Navy's winning streak over Army Florida, LSU in Gainesville, newly mature Lane Kiffen, Arkansas's comfortable lead, Brish Virginia Tech in that BELF Bowl, and finally tie this tweet. If you have facts about a violation, send it to compliance at Olemiss dot edu. If not, please do not slander these young men or insult their family. Oh Ty, it's too much. You don't think about it in the moment, but it's got it. It hits you so hard.
Speaker 2: Touching as always, That's gonna miss you. Most of all, Our Verbie Show is brought to you by our good friends over at Blue Apron. Incredible home cooking has never been more attainable. Thanks to Blue Apron, less than ten bucks a meal, Blue Apron is gonna liver easy to follow seasonal recipes along with pre portioned ingredients right to your front door. Don't got to worry about over spending at restaurants or high end grocery stores Boue Apron.
Speaker 1: They'll let you.
Speaker 2: Prepared delicious, memorable meals for yourself in under forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Tie minutes, not bad boo.
Speaker 2: Apron has also partnered with over one hundred and fifty local farms, fisheries, and ranchers across the good Old US of A to ensure that their ingredients are of the highest quality and because they ship exact ingredients, they are helping to reduce food waste. Some of the great meals available in March, Oh, here we go. We've got some salmon piccata with orzo and broccoli, an easy maaildit, but a classic pork chops and miso butter with backchoi and marinated apple.
Speaker 1: You ever have anything in miso butter? Tie? Nope, oh tie, that's not umami that richness, that fifth very good. That umami butter is. You're gonna need to take a second after taking a bite.
Speaker 2: Vegetable chili and baked sweet potatoes with crispy tortilla strips. Okay, and last, but not least, we've got spicy shrimp coconut curry with cabbage and rice dans.
Speaker 1: All of these sound fantastic, have you cooked recently? I have, Yeah, I cooked salmon last night, not salmon pikata. I wish I had the salmon pikata. Are you are you searing? Are you roasting? Are you grilling? I'm souveating and then seering. Oh my goodness, time is there a sauce? We go in with a mustard sauce at Teriaki just had seal, just had some butter and seasoning on it last night. It's all needs nothing crazy, just a quick dinner.
Speaker 2: But get those Omega salmon pocata with orizon and broccoli.
Speaker 1: Sounds a heck of a lot. Better check them all out.
Speaker 2: Get your first three meals for free with free shipping by going to Blue Apron dot Com slash Solid Blue Apron dot Com slash Solid. You will love how good it feels and taste to create in credible homecook meals with Blue Apron Again Blue Apron dot Com slash Solid Blue Apron a better.
Speaker 1: Way to cook maso butter. Back to the Verbees. Here we got a bust of the year. Bust the year, okad this one's I mean three or four of are very highly contested.
Speaker 2: Here Busts of the Year used to be known as Clemson of the Year. Yeah, used to be Clemson of the Year, but no longer.
Speaker 1: No longer.
Speaker 2: Last year we officially retired, at least in our little world, the clemsoning term. Yes, I shouldn't even have said it now, but I did. It's okay, proving a point, you're human. We retired the term. In so doing, we retired Clemson of the Year. We've renamed it to Bust of the Year out of respect to our good friends down there in Clemson, South Carolina. This year, we've got four nominees that all are very deserving of this award.
Speaker 1: What qualifies as a bus tie?
Speaker 2: I think what qualifies as a bus is coming in with really high expectations and then totally underperforming those expectations, plain and simple.
Speaker 1: That's my definition. So we saw a team doing something and they let us down, and thus we can call them a name. That's right.
Speaker 2: Your first nominee here is Notre Dame. Yeah, Notre Dame went four and eight. If you don't know that Notre Dame went to four and eight, you probably just found out about college football, or haven't listened to the show, or haven't been on Twitter or the internet in general, Notre Dame going four and eight is one of the longest running jokes in the college football world right now, Notre Dame, your first nominee. Number two is Oregon. Oregon also went four and eight, but for some reason you didn't get quite the.
Speaker 1: Blowback that Notre Dame did. Dan, Why is that people like or do they they do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah they do.
Speaker 2: It's pretty fitting that both of our teams are on this list, also very depressing.
Speaker 1: It was not a fun fall for either one of us. Ty, you got a new coach out of this.
Speaker 2: That is true. I have no idea if he's going to be good. Ore you went four and eight. They're also on this list. Michigan State also on this list, a very sound contender for this award.
Speaker 1: Probably not as.
Speaker 2: Flashy name as Notre Dame or Oregon, but certainly a successful name.
Speaker 1: Michigan State was in.
Speaker 2: The College Football Playoff a year prior, fell off the face of the earth and actually had a worse record three to nine, but they.
Speaker 1: Did beat noted. True they did, which means very little. And then there's TCU. TCU went six and seven, lost their bowl game, but I feel like TCU is deserving of this spot on the list because many folks, including myself, including Kirk Kurbstreet, a lot of college football talkers had TCU as a dark horse playoff contender and they just never got out, never got it going, whether it was offense, whether it was defense, just could never fire on both cylinders and was kind of a mess for a good chunk of the year. So TCU is deserving of this spot. I would have given it to UCLA even with the injury to Josh Rosen, TCU had a new quarterback, some change, they still go. They're still in the vicinity of five hundred. UCLA two and seven in the PAC twelve, four and eight overall, another team at four and eight, and we'll have a number of players on both sides of the ball drafted either this year or next year. They had an NFL caliber onlin NFL caliber, but a defense stocked with NFL type talent last year and one that should not have lost to a number of teams that are far lesser. So UCLA I would say had a more disappointing If I had a vote, I would have gone that direction.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. We do have a vote. It's our damn show mm hmm.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: Well, miss also can qualify. We can do whatever we want here. So what I'm suggesting, I know you're writing these down.
Speaker 1: I know you live by these, these awards. We love these awards every year.
Speaker 2: What I'm suggesting is, let's take a good hard look at all of these categories after the winners have been announced, and then, in true La La land moonlight.
Speaker 1: Fashion, let's just award new ones.
Speaker 2: Let's go back and see if maybe we think another candidate is more deserving. Does it have to be a candidate on the list could be a UCLA coming out of nowhere?
Speaker 1: True, very much.
Speaker 2: We reserve that right here as the founders of the solid verbal. We did get some UCLA input here for Busts of the Year, not as many as we did for the other four. My interpretation there was because Josh Rosen was hurt. If Joshsen totally totally reasonable. If he hadn't been hurt, UCLA would have been a much stronger candidate here. But as it were, he was hurt. Perhaps that contributed anyway. Notre Dame, Oregon, Michigan State and TCU dim the lights here we go. Twenty seventeen Bust of the year goes to.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame. Oh, Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, four and eight.
Speaker 1: I would be happier about this award as a Notre Dame fan than some other ones, because at least this implies people held Notre Dame in high regard before the season. Yeah, and then disappointed everybody whereas the other you know, not coach the year stuff like that. That's just like you are bad. Notre Dame is disappointing. Which if you've ever come home past curfew, you're not mad, You're disappointed that kind of thing. So I think this one's okay. I think you can you can sleep well with.
Speaker 2: This one sometimes, Dan, you got a laugh to keep from crying. And when you go four and eight, this is this is.
Speaker 1: What you get. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I will accept this on behalf of the Notre Dame community. Okay, here is the bigger question. What do you think the spread was? We had four candidates here? What percent of the vote did Notre Dame achieve here?
Speaker 1: Forty seven percent? Forty seven percent on the nose? Wow? Really is it?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: You are correct sir? I did not see I am telling you right now. I am looking at an unchecked version of our ballots to see do you see three of these cards here? I don't. I cannot like it's opaque. I don't. I am not looking forty seven percent. What's the net? Who was who came in second?
Speaker 2: Michigan State came in second with forty three point seven percent. So Notre Dame forty seven point four, Michigan State second forty three point seven, Oregon only six point seven.
Speaker 1: Percent of the vote. That surprises me a little bit. Yeah, it's seek to me that if I were to award this, I think I would go with Michigan State. It seemed like they had a higher ceiling. Like Notre Dame has lost some dumb games. Oregon has lost some dumb games. You know, they had the huge defensive struggles the year before as well. TCU, you know, still in the vicinity of five hundred. It makes sense to me Michigan State going from the playoff to three wins. I feel like that is the most precipitous decline that would have been my vote Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: So if you count the Brian Kelly victory before, that's two for Notreed.
Speaker 1: He's gonna take one of those pictures in the green room juggling his Verbie Awards like Alicia Keys does at the Grammys. I like that we.
Speaker 2: Still got Notre Dame stank. We still got Notre Dame's four to eight seasons. So potentially a big night. Maybe maybe as many wins on Verbie Night as there were the whole regular season. Gotta win at some point, Toy get that w Moving on Losing Effort of the Year, Losing effort of the year, one of our crowd favorites, Yeah, one of our crowd favorites. Would you like to explain the genesis of losing effort in?
Speaker 1: Losing Effort of the Year originally came out when we kept saying week after week Nick Foles had four hundred and seventy two yards, five touchdowns, and one pick in a losing effort because Arizona kept getting great performances from former quarterback Nick Foles and kept wasting them. So we found ourselves saying that so much that we created Nick Foles in a losing effort and then have subsequently awarded quarterbacks or other players who have put up Gotti's statlines and huge games without also accruing a win. So we award the person who is able to. I know, like Royce Freeman was nominated last year for his performance against Washington States. So it's either a season long tribute or a single game tribute to a great performance without the w This year brought extraordinary circumstances. Oh, I like this. There was one candidate for a Losing Effort of the Year, like a Lifetime Achievement award, in this case, one candidate for Losing Effort of the Year. The way that we go out there and solicit feedback on these awards, we have a free response Google form and we tell our fans to go out there and submit your submit your nominations. There were a few others outside of Patrick Mahomes that came in, but generally, what you're looking for, if I'm being honest, you're looking for repeats, You're looking for trends. You're looking for where the most momentum is among some of this feedback. And though there might have been a few stragglers here and there might have had a Deshaun Kaiser right, I don't know why, but it might have had it. Deshaun Kaiser might have had a few other names here and there. Patrick Mahomes was overwhelmingly logan woodside against BYU, we had a logan woodside shirt. Patrick Mahomes is far and away the most nominated for losing Effort the year. It has to be.
Speaker 2: And given the fact that Texas Tech was also in on this for Half Team of the Year, I started thinking to myself, perhaps Patrick Mahomes should be the only candidate here. You could make a case that Patrick Mahomes could have been Half Team of the Year. Yeah, but Patrick Mahomes far and away was the only candidate that I felt worthy of putting in this category. So, Daniel dim the Lights, your twenty seventeen Verbie Award winner for Losing Effort of the Year, is you already know it's Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes, congratulations. Oh yeah, like you said, maybe more of a lifetime achievement award.
Speaker 1: But one hundred percent of the vote. Isn't that what they gave Jackie Chan this year? The oscars one hundred percent of the vote or Losing Effort of the Year just an honorary lifetime achievement just because Jackie Chan is very much a Patrick Mahomes and ty Hildon Brandt type. So Patrick Mahomes, I have his stat lines in front of me, and if you watch Patrick Mahomes at all, you know he was one of the clear most entertaining players of the twenty sixteen twenty fifteen season as a dual threat quarterback for Texas Tech. Here's his touchdown to interception ratio by game four to zero, five to two, five to zero, four to one, two to one, one to one, five to one, two to one, three to one, three to zero, one to two, and then finally against Baylor with fifty points and a win six to zero. Damn. He threw four over five thousand yards, completed sixty five percent of his passes, had a final touchdown interception ratio of forty one to ten, had eight and a half yards per attempt, and completed three hundred and eighty eight of five hundred and ninety one. He threw the ball nearly six hundred times in twelve games, Wow, which is absurd, and did everything he could, made some ridiculous throws. If you are going to look back at like the ten best dimes of the year, the ten just other worldly passes of the twenty sixteen seats, and he might have three or four of them. He was that good and unfortunately Texas Tech put together a half of a team, like we've already mentioned. So Patrick Mahomes, we salute you for your efforts, even if they were in losing situations.
Speaker 2: Patrick Mahomes was eighty percent of that half team, I'd say, yeah, if not more a worthy candidate if we've ever had one for a losing effort of the year one of the vote. Perhaps a little engineering to get him there, but alas, congratulations Patrick Mahomes. Congratulations in Texas Tech now tied equally with Notre Dame for most successful night here.
Speaker 1: So Kingsberry's with the Alicia Keys, juggling the verbies in his arms on the red carpet in the green room. I like that. Moving on, let's get to another crowd favorite name of the year. Name of the Year. Wow, this one's pretty impossible.
Speaker 2: This is a thankless and impossible list of candidates to pull together every year. Every year you get a ton of suggestions for name of the year. My hunch is that I know where this one is headed, but I have not looked at it yet. And the other cool thing about this category is that a lot of times you can see him coming, you know, like a year in advance.
Speaker 1: Who's going to be who's going to be in You see him coming up through the recruiting world. Absolutely absolutely so.
Speaker 2: Like for example, Kobe Buffalo Meat is the name of a recruit for what was it, Illinois State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he ended up at Illinois State. There was also a good Kansas player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kobe Buffalo Meat is a real player's name. I believe going to Illinois State. Maybe he's from the state of Cams and he's going Illinois State. I think that's what it is. Yeah, he is going to be in this category next year. But seeing as how he was just a recruit, how he didn't actually play, he can't. He can't qualify for Name of the Year this year. Here are the nominees. Got five good ones from BYU. We've got Squally Canada real name, Squally Canada. Love it from Michigan Taco Charlton.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmmm. A good player could be a first round, second round pick. Man Berg man.
Speaker 2: Berg real name from Illinois man Burg A man, B, E, R G, two syllables. A lot of punch there.
Speaker 1: That's so if if you're gonna call your genitals the sexy Titanic, that you know what they're crashing into ty, the man Burg. That's right, the man Burg.
Speaker 2: We've also got a lion king from eastern Michigan. Yep, of course we do real name lion king. And then we've also got another Notre Dame nominee, which I forgot to mention. Actually five chances here to get another.
Speaker 1: Bite at the apple. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Equanimius Saint Brown EQ big tall, speedy, wide receiver, Notre Dame number one threat this past year strikes me as a Taco Charlton type in that he could be a multiple time nominee for this award movie. Okay, has at least another year at Notre Dame esb.
Speaker 1: Ty. I'm going to ask him, going to deposit this as cleanly as I can. What name do you just want to say out loud right now? Is what will be the most pleasing for you to say out loud of these five names, because I think that is where anybody voting, that's where their brain should go. What do I want to say out loud of all these names? Equanimius Saint Brown. See, I'm man Burg. I will say Manberg all night in my head. Now, man Manburg, absolutely your your.
Speaker 2: Description of it had we known it sooner could have swung things in favor of man Berg. Perhaps, Okay, dim the lights drum roll please twenty seventeen Name of the Year.
Speaker 1: Hard to go against Lion King, Dan, Wow, of course everything the light touches will someday be yours. Hard to go against Lion King. Close voting, five way voting. Manberg came in last, Dan, that's unbelievable to me, five point two percent. Squally Canada came in fourth with eleven point six, Taco Charlton with twenty four point four, ESB twenty eight point one, and Lion King not much separation, but two and a half percent got him to thirty point six percent, got him his first ever Name of the Year verb be congratulations Lion King. Yeah, and perhaps Michigan will have a nominee next year. I mean he played for the World or in the twenty sixteen but Eddie McDoom hard to discount. But Taco Charlton certainly the better of the two Michigan names. Did you, by the way, see the twenty seven team Name of the Year bracket? I did. That was on dead Spin and any of the I have it in front of me. Kobe, he's a number one seed. He's a one seed. Marmaduke Treblecock is a one seed. Quindarius Monday's a one seed. Chardonnay Pantastico is a one seed. But alpha McMath alpha McMath alpha McMath and tuts Honey Church with a nearly impossible I mean they'd meet in the second round of that. There are Taco dibbitts Aphrodite body comb is hard to overlook, Luigi Villain, who I believe is a college football player, and incoming college football recruits. Luigi's Villain because Luigi Villain, if you subscribe to the way the Mario Universe works, would be known as Ja Luigi, right, Yeah, that's right. Yeah so and naquees Pringle another great one in there. So I would encourage everybody to google Name of the Year ted Spin because they have a terrific bracket.
Speaker 2: The last five winners of the Name of the Year bracket go to the Name of the Year dot com. You can read up on this. Yes, we've actually talked to these guys. At some point, we should have more to talk about what's going on in college football.
Speaker 1: But Dallas Creamer, we've got Taco b m Monster mm hmm. Oh In Alzheimer, Leo, Moses sporn Star, yep, Seamus beagle Hole. My favorite in twenty fifteen was Amanda Miranda Panda, and then last year it was Pope McCorkle the third. Let me tell you who's a seventh seed in the Boltron region this year, ty h King Buttermore the third. By the way, and this is going, I mean just further veering off topic, but did you see somebody posted the made up names that were in some nes video game of I don't know if it was Bases Loaded. It was one of those old baseball games that didn't have the licensing rights to MLB player names. So some poor Japanese guy or gal was forced to think about what would a ton of made up American names be for a baseball game? And it makes no sense and it's wonderful. It is extraordinary, and I suggest you look it up because it's it's American names that are just slightly off. So instead of like Johnson, it's like Dwight Monson. It's just it's at the same time very considerate and very lazy, which is a standard we hold ourselves to.
Speaker 2: Great congratulations to Lion King m hmm. Absolutely moving on three more to go. Here is one to me, Dan that is of personal significance. Here random fact to it that malely interests Tom Hammond of the year. Random factoid that malely interest Tom Hammond of the year. So here is Here is how this award started. I've always had this beef with Tom Hammond.
Speaker 1: Mister GPA.
Speaker 2: As a Notre Dame fan, I was accustomed to him calling games on NBC for Notre Dame. He would pull this stunt where it'd be a critical game situation, fourth quarter, third quarter, could be any quarter, but a critical game situation, and he would always take that opportunity, at least once a game to introduce the most random factoid that had nothing to do with anything. Oftentimes it was a GPA or someone's college roommate or someone's major, just something that didn't fit with the scenario, and it always bothered me.
Speaker 1: It always bothered me. Well, it's a baseball broadcaster, move right. They're the ones that are putting in so much time because they have so much air to phil something between two to two the count looking at first, but like there's just so little to say as it relates to a baseball game that announcers are oftentimes, and I believe Tom Hammond does multiple sports. It's just track. There's all sorts of Olympics stuff for horse racing, yep. That it's natural for them to try to insert context and character and color into their broadcast. But football moves a little bit quicker, and there are heightened moments of drama where perhaps you shouldn't know who Colt McCoy's roommate is, or you shouldn't know exactly how tall brock Osweiler is at all times of a game.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would describe it as Vince Scully minus all of the charm. Yeah. Vin Scully does it perfectly exactly. So here we are random fact with that mainly interests Tom Hammon. We've got three great candidates here. The first one I forgot about, and as a Penn State alum, I probably should have been.
Speaker 1: All over this, but this was a.
Speaker 2: Popular submission on our form. Did you know that Trace McSorley played in four state championship games in high school?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be very honest with you, ty, I did not know that played in four state championship games.
Speaker 2: It was a popular talking point during many a Penn State football games, the announcers would bring this up all this, especially once Penn State went on its run after they lost to Michigan and then got it together and ripped off a bunch of wins in a row. This was a popular talking point. This kid's a winner. Did you know he played in four state championship games in high school?
Speaker 1: That sort of thing. Uh, yeah, most of my pen's stay watching was on a muted TV fair ne I apologies not to volume TV, I understand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, second candidate, here is Jim Harbaugh drinking milk with his steak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just milk in general. The love he has a sponsorship, a milk sponsorship now right, a milk sponsorship, I believe. Yeah, he went into overdrive. Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I'm a little Jim Harbaugh out. It's not really a factoid anymore because they've all been hit over the head with it, even outside of games.
Speaker 2: Also, I questioned a little bit whether or not this qualifies because this whole thing started by him tweeting out a picture or a picture of him circulating after he went to the steakhouse and had milk with the steak. Right, It wasn't like an announcer dug this up and then inserted it into a broadcast. It just kind of inserted itself onto the internet.
Speaker 1: Not a good year. As for people's steak preferences, notable people's steak preference is becoming public, including I mean, I'm not notable, but my disdain of steakhouses.
Speaker 2: Finally, Sam Darnold, did you know had a grandfather by the name of dick Hammer.
Speaker 1: Dick Hammer was the Marlborough man Dan. Yeah, dick Hammer best friends with Mannberg. This is a tough one to beat. Yeah, I think see. I think the Sam Darnold factoid best fits under the random factoid that may only interest Tom Hammond of the year because it's the most random trace. McSorley playing in championship games makes sense. He's a good quarterback. Jim Harbaugh drinking milk with his steak makes sense because he's certifiably out of his mind and will do dumb things like that because milk is also bad. So Sam Donald's grandfather being a famous in a certain way individual I think fits the award is the spirit of the award more than the other two. In the lights here we got drum roll please random.
Speaker 2: Fact with him Ali Interest, Tom Hammond of the Year twenty sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: Sam Donald, Yeah, yeah, Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: His grandfather Dick Hammer aka the Marlborough Man, achieved sixty three point two percent of the vote. Dan Wow sixty three point two percent, followed a distant second by Jim Harbaugh drinking milk with his steake twenty nine point nine percent and Trace McSorley bringing up the rear six point nine percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Not a lot of people dig in the Trace mcsory thing. But Sam Donald's, if you've paid any attention, is the is a surefire Hall of Famer. That's what I've learned. That's in the off season. I'm already saying the tweets that like NFL Scouts are already saying, so he's the new Josh Rosen, new Josh Rosen. We must move quickly. Two more.
Speaker 2: Here we go, big ones. We got big ones left here. Danv on.
Speaker 1: Tire Fire of the Year. Very sad music there. Yeah, how does what is a tire fire to you? Ty? Because your name is already right there in the award. It's right there in the award tire Fire.
Speaker 2: We also have a bust of the Year award. We also have a worst year back. We've got some other things that kind of beat around the bush. But tire Fire of the Year it's more situational.
Speaker 1: I'd say it's.
Speaker 2: More situational and to me, like last year, the classic example was LSU's botched firing of Less Miles, very situational, very public, and just poorly organized. Something you would define as a mess, but more of a mess, something more emphatic than just being a mess. Oh, how about a giant warming perhaps burning pile of rubber tires. Yes, we've got five awesome candidates here. I'm not sure how I feel about two of them.
Speaker 1: I feel that there's some overlap with at least one to three of them agreed, agreed, But this is what we got. But this is sort of like at the same time the Grammys give out, and I know there's a difference, Like it's like Song of the Year and Album of the Year, and one of them is for the performer and one of them is for the writer of the song, I believe, So there is like a slight difference. So Bust of the Year is, you know, for expectations. Tire Fire of the Year is for say, just can assistent awful presence in the college football universe, which again, that's the standard. We hold ourselves to, a consistent awful presence in the college football universe.
Speaker 2: Very much, So, yes, thank you. We've got three candidates here that deal with a really bad situation throughout the course of a football season, and then we've got two that deal with something that's more targeted, a little bit more focused. So the three seasonal nominees here are Notre Dame's four to eight season. Okay, obviously a worthy contender. Again, what does tire fire mean to you? A bit subjective. We've also got Florida's offense and Texas Tech defense pretty much a direct spinoff from what we saw in half Team of the Year a little earlier on in the show. So Notre Dame going four to eight, Florida's offense, Texas Tech defense. The two situational plays are the Big twelve expansion plans. Oh and the playoff semi final blowouts.
Speaker 1: Ooh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know which of those two I would pick, but those are my top two for me. It is more situational.
Speaker 1: I would go with the playoff blowouts just because of the expectations for high quality football given that these were arguably at the moment, considered to be the best four teams in the country. Notre Dame's four and eighth season was fun and I think sort of lifted the spirits of America during a time that it needed it. But ultimately, I don't think a ton of people watch Notre Dame games by the end of the year, so I don't think it had the same notoriety as playoff semi funnel bloats. And I would also add selfishly happily that tire fire of the year and worst year back omitting Brady Hoaks twenty sixteen Oregon defense is woh, just wiping my brow.
Speaker 2: We did get we did get a few Brady Hoaks in there. Okay, good, Yeah, not enough steam on Brady hok okay, I understand that to put him into either category, so he got off Scott Free. I would have enjoyed talking about that. But absolutely, here we go. We've got Notre Dame going four to eight, Florida's offense, Texas Techs defense playoff semi final blowouts in Big twelve expansion plans. One of the rare categories, along with name of the Year to actually have five nominees for the award.
Speaker 1: Dim the Lights.
Speaker 2: Tire Fire of the Year twenty seventeen. Big twelve expansion plans damn wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean that really screwed over a lot of people that had put together pitches, put together plans, really thought of themselves as moving up in the world. Only not only does it disappoint people for not getting into the Big twelve, into a new, big, better richer situation, but nobody got in.
Speaker 2: Big twelve expansion plans fade a bit into the background because it happened before the season, but it should not be overlooked. Playoff semi final blowouts was absolutely a tire fire, definitely qualifies. I don't think it was as big a tire fire in hindsight as Big twelve expansion plans, because anytime you start talking expansion in college football, it attracts attention. Remember when we had expansion Mageddon a couple of years ago. Is the Pac twelve going to consume the Big twelve? What's going to happen in Notre Dame, in the Big Ten in the ACC Just a giant tirefire in its own right. Anytime you start talking about expansion, and then things started leaking out about these little PowerPoint slide decks that like Cincinnati and Houston and some other schools Boise State were trying to submit to the Big twelve to try and be considered. Then there was some talk that they were going to take a couple teams, then there was not, Then there was the vote, and then all of a sudden, the whole thing was off on the back burner until further notice, maybe never again. Definitely not handled uniformly from a PR standpoint, and it was very confusing from the outside in trying to follow these things. Refreshing Twitter, What's Brett McMurphy, What did Bruce Felman have to say about this? It was confusing there for a while. But a last no expansion and uh, entire fire of the year?
Speaker 1: Gradually What was the name of the pill brand that Jimmy Johnson was a spokesperson for those yet? Yeah, to grow You're junk right, extends, so a promise of growth, bigger, better, a more robust situation into the year. Yeah, And ultimately you're like, I don't know if this is the best decision. I don't know if this is good for everybody involved. So this is all to say we are going to try to get an extend sponsorship for for entire Fire of the Year twenty eight.
Speaker 2: That's an extremely mixed metaphor, but I love it. Thank yeah, thank you for providing that.
Speaker 1: Dan, no problem. That's why I'm here.
Speaker 2: We've got one final award. It is the Big Tamali, one of our favorites. It's everyone's favorite. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Meme of the year here it is Meme of the Year. Do you do you know a lot of youths. I do youth Okah, because our office is a pretty young one and we keep hiring younger and younger people. And the young people tie, they love their memes. Yeah. We've got actually a Notre Dame alumnus we'll try to have on the show. Perhaps we want to we want to offer some some more positive Notre Dame presence to the solid verbal she is. When she started, She's like, I'm here for the memes. Okay, I'm here for the memes. She works on our social media team. She's here for the memes. So yeah, understandable. So memes an inside joke. M h, it's inside joke.
Speaker 2: And as trusted listeners and friends and verballers. As you're known, you're kind of privy to some of our humor. Not all of it's funny, most of it isn't, but it is uniquely solid verbal. It's ours, it's our babies and what we try to do every year. Inevitably, these things just happen. We're not often trying to come up with something, kind of like the talking to your kids about Iowa stunt a year ago.
Speaker 1: They just sort of happened. They just sort of.
Speaker 2: Happen organically, and then we run with them. We think they're funny, other people do, and they take on a life of their own. This year we had four four that stuck out and one that I'm going to throw in as potentially a dark horse here. I don't think it's got enough run. But the Secret Garbage episode from a week ago Dan.
Speaker 1: Is going to get a feedback. It's going to go down in history.
Speaker 2: That Avatar versus ketchup battle might not have been the thriller in Manila, and there may or may not have been a bullying component, depending on which perspective you're coming from. I have never seen such feedback to a show like what we saw after our volunteers, good sign Avatar versus Ketchup rivalry. Yeah, we're gonna have to bring back Avatar and Ketchup and secret garbage just in general. Absolutely, that would be a new thing that was great. Here were the actual nominees, So secret garbage could be something we throw in here if we're not satisfied with the quality of the other the other right, it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't an in season thing, so I think we can go with these four. I think we've got four good options.
Speaker 2: The first is the ongoing mystery of the Notre Dame stink. You came up with Notre Dame stank? Dan, What is Notre Dame stank?
Speaker 1: Again? Just refresh our listeners. It's sort of like the movie What is the movie where you watched the tape and then you get killed? Is that final ring?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you beat Notre Dame, you sort of you inhabit something. You get a disease, you get a virus. Notre Dame inflicts you with the virus, and you just start losing like crazy after you beat Notre Dame. That was just a thing this year. Everybody that beat Notre Dame, with maybe the exception of USC because they did win the Rose Ball at the end of the year, but early on in the middle of the season, teams that beat Notre Dame went on to have some troubles and so that sort of started. Like Texas and Michigan State notably had very disappointing seasons right after they got that Notre Dame stank on them.
Speaker 2: Michigan State, Texas. Yeah, the list goes on. Lord knows eight choices there that you can discuss. We also have the Adam Amean secret verbal. The adam of means secret verbal. We did this thing where as you know, we've got a secret verbal. You listen to a long enough show. Sometimes we'll give you a code where go out there and tweet it at a friend of ours or a new friend of ours and tell him that we sent you. But just tweet adam I means something about milk shakes. That's what we did. It got back to Adam Amean. He was all about it. Came on the show with you to shake it up a little bit, talk about milk shakes. No college football, just milkshakes. But Adam Amean, our new best friend, called a video game with us while we were down in Tampa. Did a long show telling us all about what it's like to call games with Mac Brown and YadA YadA YadA, had a great conversation with him. He is a good dude. The Adam I mean secret verbal was one of my favorite moments from the past year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Adam I mean and I would say, Adam, I mean friendship. Yeah. It's a great guy. And he was the play by play when Mac Brown just left the booth right because he had to catch a flight. So that's how we first became familiar.
Speaker 2: We've also got krock potting on here, Dan krockpotting becoming a verb.
Speaker 1: So rockpotting is you? Please explain?
Speaker 2: This was a multi part effort from you and I. I mentioned I went back and checked the tapes I mentioned very early on in our first preview show when we were talking about Alabama USC. I mentioned the phenomenon of Alabama beating a team as if they were cooking something in a crockpot. Throw them in there for four hours, turn it on low. See a bubble here, little bit of movement in the sauce there, you pop it out four hours later, It's done. You didn't even know it. That whole thing is kind of like putting something in a crockpot. You took it and ran with it and said, oh, we'll just call it a crockpotting, crockpotting, crockpotting, crockpotting. Crockpotting became a thing, became a verb here.
Speaker 1: It's what Obama did.
Speaker 2: People were tweeting about it, people were calling in on the reverb blind about it. It very much was what Alabama did, and it very much became a thing. Crockpotting very strong contender here. And then finally, I hate that this is on there, but I understand why. My inability, fittingly because we are sponsored by Blue Apron here, my inability to pronounce Blue Apron menu item down fairness, I got better. I think I got better at this you did. I may not be as cultured as you when it comes to food. I'm okay with that. I am proud of that. I'm a total fraud continue, but yes, my inability to pronounce Blue Apron menu items was something that gave people a disproportionate amount of joy. So I'm happy in that in that sense. Then to keep this, keep this anomaly on our list of contenders.
Speaker 1: I will. I will promise you this right now, ty as It relates to that if at any point I come into a considerable amount of money, I will take you to like Pouquet, I will take you to Bangkok, I will take you maybe Hong Kong, and I will document how you order every single meal that you get, because I just I want to live that life. And the solid fiance is definitely allergic to seafood, So I don't know what I'll be able to go to Bangkok. So if I come into a bunch of money, We're going on a tie vacation, a tie eating vacation. So there you go. There are your four maybe five nominees. Dan dim the Lights Dimmed Podcast Meme of the Year. Here for the memes for twenty seventeen. Crock Potting. Crock Potting. Yeah, I think I actually just got a new crock pot. It was in the registry. Yeah, so very appropriate. Yeah. Absolutely. To watch an Alabama game was not unlike watching a piece of tenderloin or whatever it is that you know, a chicken you make pulled chicken in there, yeah, ty yeah, yeah, I've done that with beef. It was it was a special year to watch Alabama win like twenty seven into seven games, that's all it was that happened slowly, but ultimately there was tenderization. The secret sauce, if you will, to a successful meme within our little universe is when you see it being used outside the universe, when you see people tweeting it at actual college football experts, when you see Kirk Kurvestreet getting tweets about crockpotting, when you see it being used in print form or being tweeted out by other experts, borrowing it, using it for their for their own that's fine, we don't care. But when you see it kind of take that next step, that's when you know that it should be on this list. And Crockpotting, of all the ones that we got on here a side of the secret verbal, which is sort of a setup, crock Potting becoming a thing was absolutely something that took that next step. Yes, Notre Dame very important secret verbal to a lesser degree, but crock Potting far and away my favorite thing that we can up with this past year.
Speaker 2: Totally organic. Wasn't planned. None of this stuff was, but that certainly wasn't. Just feels right to me, A good way to go out.
Speaker 1: Here, and Notre Dame wins somewhere between four and eight of these awards. Yeah, thank you. What's the final count, Yeah, no problem, that's why.
Speaker 2: That's why we have it thirty three point one percent of the vote by two percent over my Blue Apron mishaps.
Speaker 1: I swear to God, if I win some sort of lottery or I create a company and sell it for a billion dollars, we are going to have the most lavish pouquette bro Honeymoon ever created.
Speaker 2: Daniel Big thanks to our sponsor this evening, Blue Apron Big. Thanks to all of our loyal listeners who write in, who give us incredible feedback, not only after each show, but certainly when it comes down to little user generated award shows like this one. With the twenty seventeen Verby Awards, we can't do this without you. Tell your friends about the sliverbal We'll be broadcasting all off season. We're on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat and of course at iTunes, dot com slash Solid Verbal. Dan, I'm going to play this music one more time and run through your twenty seventeen Verby Award winners.
Speaker 1: Dan, with your not Coach of the Year.
Speaker 2: We've got Brian Kelly Alternate Uniform of the Year, Air Force's shark tooth uniforms, Worse You're Back, Josh Rosen Half Team of the Year, Texas Tech's offense, Crime of the Year, Waki Leaks, Bust of the Year, Notre Dame losing Effort of the Year with one hundred percent of the vote of first in Verby History, Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech, Name of the Year, Lion King, random factoid, Sam Darnold's grandfather being Dick Hammer, the Marlborough Man tire Fire of the Year, the Big twelve expansion plans, and finally everyone's favorite podcast meme, crock Potting becoming a verb Yep, there you.
Speaker 1: Go, Ty, Just a whirlwind of emotion and uh, we're about to have a hell of an after party. What's for dinner tonight, Tach, something from Blue Apron. That's good answer.
Speaker 2: Go to that guy over there, my good friend and co host Dan Rubinstein for myself, Tie Hildebrand, thanks again for another great year of college football goodness. Thanks for participating in our verbies. We'll catch you all next week. Talk some more sports. Stay solid, peace,