Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb in today's episode originally aired four eighteen, twenty twenty five. We're talking about Dungeons and Dragons, the movie from the year two thousand. Yes, the one starring Jeremy Irons. It's a lot of fun. It's rough at times, but this was the episode that we selected for the two hundredth episode, or well, the two hundredth film selection for Weird House Cinema. So without further ado, let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House Cinema, we've reached a milestone. It is our two hundredth film selection. A Rob did just have to wrecked me before we started here. I was going to say it was a two hundredth episode. It is not, because we had a couple of films that went more than one episode, or multiple films crammed into a single episode. But this is going to be our two hundredth one, and we're keeping with a theme we established last week where we looked at a film for our one hundred and ninety ninth film selection, we did a film set in the year nineteen ninety nine. That was the cyberslop movie Virtuosity, starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Today we decided to stick with that into a movie I guess not set in the year two thousand, but that came out in the year two thousand, and that is so the year two thousand in film in so many ways. And that is the movie Dungeons and Dragons, not the one from twenty twenty four, the old one, the one with Jeremy Irons, Thora Birch, Justin Whalen, Marlon Wayans, and Bruce Payne. What a cosmic adventure into nostalgia in the mind this was. And we're not I'll lie to you. It's not good, but it is a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to Some of you may have follow up questions here. You might ask, well, how about some of those films that the listeners suggested for the two hundredth We I think we'll get back to some of those suggestions in later episodes, but I don't know. For my part, I begin to just feel like, oh, Man, it's so much pressure to figure out, like what is like the weird movie to do for two hundred, and falling back on the idea of like two hundred two thousand just felt a little It felt a little easier when it came to the decision making process. And another question you might be wondering, perhaps cowering a little bit in fear, are we going to do the next twenty five episodes of Weird House Cinema related to the subsequent years. I'm going to say definitely not. I don't think we could keep that up. I mean, we'll see what happens next week, but it's definitely not going to be the next twenty five episodes.
Speaker 3: Well, next week we could do two thousand and one of Space Odyssey and keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, though I don't know. I think that's more in our category of reference text rather than subject text.
Speaker 1: But we did do a core episode of stuff to Blow your Mind on two thousand and one of Space Odyssey, so there is some Space Odyssey in the vault.
Speaker 3: Now. Obviously we're gonna have a lot to say about Dungeons and Dragons as a movie, but I think we also need to appreciate right here at the top that, of course it is an adaptation of the tabletop gaming system Dungeons and Dragons. So Rob, maybe we got to start just by talking about that, like you're a little bit of the short, short version of your personal history with D and D, because I know we could both go into a lot of detail here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, first of all, just a reminder, Dungeons and Dragons dates back to the mid nineteen seventies is a role playing game. It is I often try to explain it to people who aren't that familiar with it as kind of a communal storytelling game where you have a dungeon master running the game. You have players playing characters within that game. The dungeon master is running things and is the final say on the rule, but the players are also contributing creatively to it. They are not being told a story. Everyone is collaborating on the story together, and it's just a tremendous amount of fun it is. If you've never played Dungeons and Dragons before, or some similar role playing game, I highly recommend it. It is a great social, creative hobby in pastime that is also connected to any number of additional solo hobbies in past times. It's something that has brought a lot of joy into my life.
Speaker 3: Collaborative storytelling is a good way to put it for people who aren't familiar. Imagine that essentially, the dungeon Master creates the setting and scenario, and you create a character within that setting in scenario, you say what your character in particular does in reaction to that setting and scenario created by the dungeon Master. They tell you what happens in return, and you go back and forth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't remember exactly when I first started getting into it. I definitely had watched the old nineteen eighty three cartoon at one point, but that didn't like really pull me in all the way. It wasn't until I was in boy Scouts and I observed some of the older scouts playing dungeons and dragons. The dungeon Master kid was using his father's like pre satanic panic, like full demon monster supplements, and it was just it looked like a lot of fun. So I started getting into it, and I by you know, by the mid nineties, I was all into Forgotten Realms, Raven Loft, Kara Tour, Dark Sun, Spell Jammer, all these different worlds and subsettings within Dungeons and Dragons. I probably read more than I played, but it was still a blast. But then, around the turn of the millennium, when this film comes out, I went to college and for idiotically didn't do any non video game D and D stuff for like more than a decade. So today's movie drops at a time in which I was weirdly disinterested and out of touch with all things D and D. I think my main memory of the trailer was that, oh, it looks like it has Jeremy Irons in it. But at the same time, I was at least slightly disappointed that he appeared to not have a wizard beard or wizard hair.
Speaker 3: That's true, you know. I was trying to We'll talk more about this as we go on, but I was trying to class all the characters in the movie. I was saying, Okay, what D and D class are you? Because when you play the game, you pick a character class that tells you, like what kind of skills and powers you have. You could be a barbarian or a fighter, or a cleric or a wizard. And I was like, man, Jeremy Irons doesn't feel like a wizard because he doesn't look like a wizard. He looks I don't know, it looks like a warlock. Maybe, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe more of a warlock. Look.
Speaker 3: I mean they never mentioned a packed patron or anything.
Speaker 1: But yeah. And I don't know. I don't know one hundred percent why it bugged me at the time, because I'm not really bugged by it now. But I think a big part of it was and I was having to like piece together where things fell in the timeline. I think part of it was that by April of two thousand, Today's movie came out in like December of two thousand. By April of two thousand, we already had a trailer featurette for Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring, which would come out December two thousand and one, so we already had a visual taste of what was possible with live action high fantasy, and even from the trailers, it was obvious that two thousands Dungeons and Dragons was quite obviously missing the mark.
Speaker 3: God that contrast is crazy to imagine that this was almost like overlapping in time and that we're going to try not to just like be mean or rag on the movie the whole time. But yeah, the comparison is so funny. It's like imagining that trailers for The Matrix were already out when lawnmower Man was in theaters.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I mean it's really not fair because we're again we're talking about Lord of the Rings here, one of and arguably the most important texts in modern fantasy literature. It served as one of the one of the primary inspirations for and dragons in general, and furthermore, Peter Jackson's adaptations. No matter what your quipples might be about the finished product, they were jaw dropping cinematic spectacles that pushed the technological envelope, that energized fans and generated mainstream, popular and critical success. So it's unfair to compare this smaller picture that had I think, when all was said and done, like half the budget, so but not that small of a budget. You know, it is never going to live up to what Fellowship of the Ring was able to achieve.
Speaker 3: You Know something I was just thinking about recently with the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies is I don't know if they often get enough credit for how good of a job they did simply from a writing point of view, adapting the material. We can have our complaints about, like, oh I wish Tom Bombadill had been in there. You know, I don't like that they didn't include this, or that they made this moment like, you know, there were changes introduced, and a lot of times purists can be upset by that. But I think think they really did a kind of impossible task of cramming as much of the spirit of the story into film into reasonable I mean long but still reasonable film run times as possible. It really, I think is a marvelous achievement of adaptation writing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Again, it's just unfair to compare virtually anything, especially this film, to Fellowship of the Rings and the subsequent Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films. They just succeeded in so many ways.
Speaker 3: But while we're on the subject of the differences between Fellowship of the Ring and Dungeons and Dragons as movies from around the same time, one big difference is that, of course, Fellowship of the Ring is an adaptation of a book. It's an adaptation of something that is already a fixed narrative, which is like a you know, it's a more familiar way of making a movie from existing source material. The Dungeons and Dragons movie had a very different and kind of writing assignment, which is that it was to adapt a game system or sort of a world. There is no fixed narrative of Dungeons Dungeons and Dragons. I think there are some like, you know, pre written campaigns that exist out there. Rob you can probably shed more light on that, and there may be some like common, commonly accepted sort of history things in the Dungeons and Dragons world, but there's no fixed narrative like there is in a book. Players make up their own stories. So what your job is if you're adapting this into a movie is you have to kind of make up a story that packs in a lot of details about what it's like to play the game and captures feelings of common experiences that players have when they're playing with their friends. Does does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, try it. You have to to attempt to try and nail the vibe of the D and D world and the vibe of playing D and D at the same time, which, to be clear, are often in stark opposition to each other. You may have like a really like very serious and even dark set of events happening within the story of the game. But yet a gaming session of Dungeons and Dragons might be just full of goof off moments and laughter and so forth, and yet they can still work together at the table in a way that might be more of a struggle thematically. With a motion picture. I would argue that twenty twenty three's Dungeons and Dragons Honor among Thieves, the most recent Dungeons and Dragons film, did more of a commendable job of pulling this off, and watching today's movie, it'd be easier to momentarily put that aside if they didn't actually say honor among Thieves multiple times in the dialogue.
Speaker 3: But they didn't know that was gonna They didn't the title of the later movie.
Speaker 1: They didn't know. But it's impossible to avoid. But no, you're right, it's like they're they're adapting a vibe. They're adapting ip a world or multiple worlds and various creatures within that world, but they're not leaning on like a core text. But to be clear, even by nineteen ninety and certainly by the year two thousand, there were plenty of Dungeons and Dragons novelizations out there. I mean, they're like a million dragon Lance novels, So there was some material out there that could have leaned on, though you know, I don't I don't know, I haven't read most of those books. Not everything is you know, reasonable for adaptation and so forth. But you know, there were and are plenty of Dungeons and Dragons stories one could could go to for things like this.
Speaker 3: But one thing that makes those stories different is they're almost like they're reading a story that someone has created within the framework of the D and D world, but they're not cannon for all, like players of.
Speaker 1: D and D, right, right, Like any given person's favorite moment from Dungeons and Dragons is going to you know, be a little different from everyone else's moment if you're just talking about the tabletop experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, as you said, this is something that the more recent D and D movie did a lot of. You could tell there were a lot of in jokes in the movie. And I still think the more recent movie works pretty well. I mean, I don't know, I have played D and D, but I can imagine it still works pretty well as a film even if you've never played it. But there are just a lot of little treats in there for players, because it will have the characters in the movie getting into a situation that players commonly find themselves in, and it's funny, too funny to recognize, like, oh, I can't speak with dead and I still have this many questions I can ask and we already got the information we need, you know, and that sort of thing over and over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also I think the other thing that the more recent film did well is that it had it did have canonical figures that one could leave the film and say, hey, I want to know about that that Lich guy. I want to know more about these Red Wizards, and they're there is material out there you can read about them. They're part of a setting. This movie doesn't really, I think, do much of that. You might say, oh, that's a neat beholder. I just saw float by. I'd like to know more about those guys. Well, there's plenty more.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it doesn't really do much with the beholders, does it. You briefly see one as a purple blob that flies off screen, and then I'm like, ooh, we're gonna come back for a beholder fight.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope, Nope, they're basically screen savers.
Speaker 3: But anyway, as I was saying, the more recent D and D movie does a lot of that, I think this older movie does a little bit of that. There's a little bit of nodding towards kind of common player experiences, but a lot less. It feels more like they were just trying to create a story roughly within the D and D universe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I should say some nice things about this film. I think, yeah, yeah, I think it has some excellent locations, including the sedl Ossuary and the Checker Public. Also, I think that the Czech Republic State Opera House is used as a location at one point, and multiple other Czech locations that look really cool and they make good use of them.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous interior locations in fact, that are a quite ludicrous contrast to like It'll cut from there to a like CGI dungeon. It is just you could not imagine something more like uglier and more dingy looking.
Speaker 1: Yes, the CGI is all horrendous, but I should also point out there are some nice practical sets as well. There's that the Eye Room and the labyrinth. The Evil Layer is really nice. So there's also like anything that's not cgi in this film has at least a reasonable shot at looking okay.
Speaker 3: There there is at one point, it's toward the end of the movie. I wish it had come earlier, a quite lovely hand painted backdrop for like a a like a mad effect when they go to when they go to like the Thomas Kincaid LOTHLRII you know, yeah, yeah, but it's it's like very pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So, I mean, the practical stuff works pretty well for the most part. And then of course we have the performances. There are some definite duds in there, but who there are some there are some really fun performances to be hold on top of everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll have to talk about that. And speaking of continuing themes from last week, A list actors getting in a B movie and just giving it everything they've got, or maybe more than they've got actually, So, Rob, what's your elevator pitch for D?
Speaker 1: The main thing I came up with was complete a D and D movie before Y two K, which yeah, it comes out after Y two K, but you know they're filming it in nineteen ninety nine, and also it comes at it's the end of a long journey to make a Dungeons and Dragons motion picture, and I'll get into some of those details when we talk about the director.
Speaker 3: I think they had to roll a twelve or above to achieve that goal, and they rolled a twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, at one point I think they rolled one and then they realized they did have inspiration and they were able to take that back nice. All right, let's listen to a little bit of the tray their audio here, and hopefully you'll get to hear Jeremy Irons a little bit in there as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a faraway world, all people deserve to be free and equal. The child is not fit to govern an empire. The forces of darkness.
Speaker 4: You can control dragons for the Dyanami my command.
Speaker 3: I can crush the empress.
Speaker 1: This has gotta be some twisted magic experiment.
Speaker 3: Seriously wrong. I have threatened to conquer a kingdom. What can I do to stop profiance?
Speaker 1: If you can obtain a rod of Chevrial, you could control read dragons.
Speaker 3: I suggest we lay low. Let the whole thing blow of a come back rob everybody. There's one small problem problem.
Speaker 4: I kind of committed us to find it. Trust me that, oh it's your time to die.
Speaker 3: Dungeons and Dragons. You want to play video?
Speaker 1: All right? Now into Dragons against Us all right. If you want to watch Dungeons and Dragons for yourself, you can find this one in multiple formats, including some free streaming services. That's where I watched this film. You can find it on your your Plex and your two b's if those are options for you. There also there also have been different DVD and Blu Ray releases, including Dungeons and Dragons two Movie collection on Blu Ray. That's if you want to be clear, you're not getting the more recent Dungeons and Dragons adaptation in there. You're getting one of the crappy sequels to this film. So bye, with caution.
Speaker 3: Did any actors from this movie come back in that one?
Speaker 1: Bruce Payne just as Bruce Payne. He came back at least for the initial sequel. I don't know who if anyone came back for part three. I don't know if anyone seen Part three.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about the connections.
Speaker 1: All right. We're going to start at the top with director producer Courtney Solomon born nineteen seventy. So to be clear, there had been previous attempts to officially capitalize on D and D's popularity as a film going back to the early eighties, but nothing came together until around nineteen ninety, that is when then nineteen year old Courtney Solomon with basically only a passion for Dungeons and Dragons, some family background I think on his like on mother's side in Canadian TV production, and also we should we should, we should realize there's probably a natural twenty charisma role in here, because he managed to convince TSR, the parent company of D India at the time, to give him a shot at producing the thing.
Speaker 3: Had he made a movie at this point.
Speaker 1: No, he had not, as far as I can tell, No, nothing like that had occurred. So yeah, we may rag on this film a little bit in this episode, But man, that was roughly my age when this movie came out, and looking back at myself, I was barely capable of any level of adulting, you know. Solomon, however, at nineteen and in subsequent years won over TSR and then traveled around the world seeking financial backers and scored one in Hong Kong business magnate Alan Zamon and so by the mid nineties, the plan with Solomon as producer was to do this up as one hundred million dollar production with a big director.
Speaker 3: One hundred million dollars in the in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah like that. I mean, you know, you're talking about Fellowship of the Ring range in terms of your budget. But of course that's you know, years later. So yeah, they were talking about having the likes of Francis Ford Coppola or James Cameron produced. I think Stan Winston was also attached at one point, but as often occurs in Hollywood, plans changed.
Speaker 3: Coming hot off of Pumpkinhead, I shall make the D and D movie.
Speaker 1: Wow, imagine what the effects would have looked like. Though you have gotten a good beholder in that one.
Speaker 3: I want to see that Francis Ford Coppola verse. Would it have had al Pacino in it? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh that would have been a different That would have been a different evil mage villain, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, my lord? Imagine wizard, Yes, evil wizard al Pacino like he is in heat, you know with the.
Speaker 1: We joked, but I don't know, there's there. I can see a version of this film that would have worked with al Pacino, but I don't know, and we never got to have it, so plans changed. Hollywood producer Joel Silver came on board. There was talk at one point of doing it as a TV series instead. This is the natural one that I mentioned earlier. Then, No, I guess the natural one was when they were considering doing a low budget direct to video project, but they were able to push through and get things back up to a thirty to thirty five million dollar budget. And at this point it was clear Solomon himself was going to have to direct it again. This was his first directorial gig, but he did it. He pulled it off.
Speaker 3: It's like the artifact has attuned to you and you alone. You mess. You're the only one.
Speaker 1: You were the only one who can wield it. You were the chosen one, and so he did. Now as a director. He followed this up with two thousand and fives in American Haunting and twenty thirteen get Away, but it's mostly remained active as a producer on such films as two thousand and nine Universal Soldier Regeneration, twenty twelve's Universal Soldier, Day of Reckoning, twenty sixteen's Mister Church The Strangers Chapter one. From recent years, and I think there's some sequels on the way, and he's listed as a producer on an upcoming red Sonia film.
Speaker 3: Well, despite the criticisms I've already made, I do want to say this story makes it even more impressive that this film got made and is as fun as it is. I mean, it's bad, but you're not going to be bored, I think when you watch this movie. So yeah, hats off to Courtney Solomon, and I do want to echo what you said earlier. We may rag on this film, but we rag with love.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, We've said before it's a miracle that any film gets finished. And kudos to him for bringing this one home. Now the writing credits, there are two credited writers topper, Lillian and Carol Cartwright. Lillian screenwriter and director who also had a small part in the in the Conehead movie nineteen ninety three's Coneheads, and then Carol Cartwright was also one of the writers on twenty twenty two's Missus Harris Goes to Paris, which was well received and even earned her and her co writers an Australian Writers Guild Award.
Speaker 3: Oh cool. As for the Coneheads connection, I don't know how I knew, but I felt a little bit of Conehead's juice on this.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't think they were involved with writing it at all, but they showed They're credited as showing up as one of the pilots in the code, and it could be an IMDb error, but I'm going to assume it's real.
Speaker 3: Now, I think we're about to start discussing the cast and the characters. I mentioned at the top of that D and D the game has character classes in it so you can cheer. You know, your rogues, your rangers, your your clerics, and so forth. Should we take a stab at saying what actual D and D class the characters in this movie are supposed to be? If anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we should beginning with our chief antaganist. This is a profion, a high level mage, I would assume, now.
Speaker 3: Rob, you know the D and D lore better than I do. But the way I sort of understand it is that your main magic users in D and D are your sorcerers, your warlocks, and your wizards. The wizard is sort of the intellectual magician who learns their powers through study. The warlock is the sort of bound to a demonic entity magician who gains their powers through through this relationship with you know, something that grants the power. And then finally your sorcerer sort of has magic in their blood. They you know, they like come from a magical background and they do it on instinct. It's kind of hard to fit Jeremy Iron's character in this movie into any of the three. You would he fits the esthetic of a warlock the most, but they never mention anything about a patron. So I'm gonna say, even though he feels more warlocky, he's got to be.
Speaker 1: A wizard, right, Yeah, Yeah, I think he's definitely a wizard. Yeah, he is the puppet man as opposed to the puppet or the conduit as you would have in those other two classes. Okay, that being said, no beard, and not that a wizard has to have a beard. But again, at the time this bothered me. So Jeremy Irons born nineteen forty eight. This is I believe our first Jeremy Irons film. I've read that he joined the film during its filming at the behest of Joel Silver and, according to Irons, out of a need to help pay for a castle he had just purchased.
Speaker 3: Amazing it reminds me of that A quote from Michael Caine about Jaws the Revenge. As somebody asked him about it, he says, I haven't seen the film. I've heard it's quite terrible, but I have seen the house it built and it's lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Irons has a long and ongoing career on the stage, TV and the big screen, with credits going back to nineteen seventy one. He really began to skyrocket with TV's Brides Had Revisited in eighty one, which earned him numerous nominations, and his nineteen eighty six was pretty stellar, seeing him play Twin Gynecologist and David Cronenberg's Dead Ringers and also Father Gabriel and Roland Jeffy's masterpiece The Mission, and he then went on to win the Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Klos von Buloh in Reversal of Fortune opposite Glenn Close and Ron Silver. Subsequent notable credits include David Cronenberg's m Butterfly from ninety three, The Lion King from ninety four, in which he voiced Scar Now that's also a very juicy voice role.
Speaker 3: And also I think the way that a lot of kids come to learn who Jeremy Irons is. Yeah. You know, when I was like, I grew up watching The Lion King, and then when I was older and like learning about movies, I was like, why is this weird guy? His voice is so familiar. Oh it's Scar Oh okay, And so you make the connection that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Long Live the King, I'll say always back in ninety five with Diehard with a Vengeance, plays the villain in that. He's in two thousand and two is the time Machine, playing like a super intelligent more. He's in two thousand and five's Kingdom of Heaven from Ridley Scott. Two thousand and eight's The Color of Magic, that's a Terry Pratchett adaptation, TV's The Borgias, the Snyder DCU Batman films, TV's The Watchman. He's quite good in that.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then twenty twenty one's House of Gucci, which I haven't seen, but of course that was a lot of people like that as well.
Speaker 3: So of course, Jeremy Irons is a terrific actor, and I love him in so many roles. One that stands out to me is a kind of one of his unsung roles, but is really good. He plays a nasty financial CEO in the movie Margin Call.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've seen Oh, I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does in that A character that he often does very well, which is a deeply morally compromised and scummy but quite charismatic man.
Speaker 1: Yes, scummy charismatic aristocrat is a role that he plays very well. And I would say his performances there's often a kind of quiet subtlety to them, like he gets into higher energy zones. I don't want to, you know, make it sound like he's just, you know, like just a certain energy level for the rest of his performances, but it's generally not high energy and not like this film. I don't know if.
Speaker 3: I've ever thought to describe a movie performance this way before. But what I realized is Jeremy Irons came into this film with the idea, what if I were to approach acting with the goal of maximizing not quality, but quantity. So is this good acting from Jeremy Irons? I honestly don't even know how to answer that, But what I'm sure of is you cannot complain about the portions of acting. You will be taking leftovers home from from D and D like his His performance will leave you full and you cannot consume it all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If a normal Jeremy Irons performance is like a subtle knife, this one is a chainsaw. He's on full blast the whole time. It's glorious to behold. He's snarling, his skull is about to pop through his face. His presence absolutely makes this film more watchable than it would have been otherwise, and so I think the energy level is absolutely the right choice for this film. I honestly don't know if this was Jeremy Iron's choice, or if this was the director's choice or some compromise between the two, but I cannot imagine this film without it.
Speaker 3: We shall have to modify our plans.
Speaker 1: Just chewing it up now, I'm not sure his performance really lifts everyone around him up in equal measure, which is something you sometimes see when you have a high caliber actor working with younger and less experienced talent. But I also have to acknowledge that maybe this film was not exactly the sort of workshop environment for that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't mean this as a slight against the great Jeremy Irons, but I would say a lot of his scenes they don't feel very collaborative. They feel more like he is a mad bull that has been unleashed on the set and they've started filming. Yeah, and everybody else is just kind of they've got to kind of deal with it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very much the vibe I get here too. Now, behind every mad villain there is a henchman, and the hinching here is provided by Bruce Payne, who plays Damadar, who I guess he's a sword made. I think the exact terminology changes from one edition of D and D to the next, but it's like a wizard, a magic user who also swings a sword around, which I mean, it's definitely in the rules, but it always feels to me like, come on, dude, you can choose to be a fighter or a wizard. Why do you have to try and be both? Share the love with the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. Yeah. I was trying to place him as well as having trouble. He's got big he's got big scary arm. Okay, so, and he's got a big sword, and that does seem to place him in the kind of physical fighter class, but he's also peripheral to a bunch of dark magic yeah.
Speaker 1: And when he shows up at one point, Richard O'Brien's character is like, get that mage out of here. No mage is allowed, so I guess he's a mage.
Speaker 3: But also that goes on something in the movie where it treats mage not as a character class in the game, but as an economic class. Like in the world of this D and D movie, if you are a mage, that means you're rich. Right.
Speaker 1: The Mages control everything, as we'll get into. But then this dude's like walking through portals, and granted, magical portals are really thrown around in this movie with reckless abandons, but I'm not entirely sure who's casting them. Is Damadar casting them or does he have like a travel wizard with him at all times?
Speaker 3: It's like they can cast misty step without being able to see where they're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But Bruce Payne, Yes, we've talked about Bruce Payne on the show before. Born nineteen fifty eight, British actors agent. Screen he was in Alan Clark's snooker musical Billy the Kid and the Green Bays Vampire, a glorious film and a fine supporting and singing performance by Pain as the one Akato. He's great in that, and I'm to understand he's also really good in nineteen eighty six's Absolute Beginners. But man, the nineteen nineties Bruce Payne that I think most of us are familiar with are it's this Bruce Payne. It's like looming British villain Bruce Payne, like he really found his niche, his paying niche in the nineteen nineties. Numerous films we can reference here in which he's playing some variation of this bad guy.
Speaker 3: Sometimes feels in this movie like he's trying to match or compete with Jeremy Irons, like they were literally like betting, which one could overact more just stunningly inappropriate line deliveries taking four or five times longer than necessary to spit out function very functional lines like placecards at every gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, like really drawn out. And the look of this character too, we have to I mean, you mentioned the armor he has. He has some cool looking armor, you know, neat cape, big sword, but he also has bright.
Speaker 3: Blue lips electric blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like he just had some sort of like really bright slushie or something or that. It is like just really bright blue lipstick that I kept expecting it to be explained one way or another or another, like there's some sort of like mentat wine that he drinks. But I don't think they ever really make any sense of it. It's just a bizarre visual choice.
Speaker 3: He's one of those bald guys with blue lips. Yeah, And then later part of What's in this World?
Speaker 1: And later as he's infected by a bizarre CGI brain parasite, he also begins to boast increase only inflamed ears. So most of the scenes you end up with hav him like close in on his head, bright blue lips, big red ears. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the ears look painful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he manages to push through all this and make you believe in the character's cardboard villainy. You know, he's a cardboard villain, very much a henchman. But you know he does a commendable job here.
Speaker 3: He gets to do the classic you know, the hero says, hey, you said if I gave you the artifact, you'd free my friends. What does he get to say?
Speaker 4: I lie?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Other Bruce Payne performances the nineteen nineties that I think cemented his place as a go to villain. He does have a role in nineteen ninety one's Howling the Freaks, in which he plays a hideous dart Nosferatu character under a lot of makeup. I don't know if I would have ever recognized this as Bruce Payne. But then, more to the point, he was in nineteen ninety two's Passing Your fifty seven, in which he plays the villain opposite Wesley Snipes. His subsequent credits included the likes of ninety three's Necronomicon Book of the Dead, Tales from the Crypt Warlock three, the End of Innocence, taking over the part from Julian Sand's Highlander Endgame in two thousand and the two thousand and five D and D sequel that we referenced earlier, in which he was I believe the only cast member returning.
Speaker 3: Good to stay busy.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, so those are our chief antagonist and the henchmen. Let's get into the actual adventuring.
Speaker 3: Party here, Yeah, our heroes.
Speaker 1: So this is one of those encounters where the dungeon master didn't really tell everyone that they needed certain roles. He didn't explain that somebody needs to be the cleric because there's no cleric in the party. Now, in fact, you have two rogues.
Speaker 3: Two rogues. Our main two characters are both rogues. That is imbalanced.
Speaker 1: Imbalanced though I don't know. Anytime i'm dungeon mastering, I'm like, just play what you want to play. If we're all rogues, we'll roll with it, We'll find a way. But in general, you're supposed to sort of steer everyone towards a balanced party. So I guess our main rogue here, ultimately our lead character, our protagonist is Ridley Freeborn, a generic rogue, I guess, played by Justin Whalin.
Speaker 3: My name is Maximus protagonist. Oh boy, Yeah, he's got such like hero kid energy in this Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All of his scenes feel like they were directed by uncle baby Billy, you know, like major tings energy. Here. It's not a character that I ever found myself liking or rooting for. Not that it's the actor's fault, but it's just like, this is our hero. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Boy, you didn't like the Dark Knight of the Soul scene in the late movie when he's like, why are bad things bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well why do we have to fight evil? Yeah?
Speaker 1: At that point I was more like, get on with it. Just at the scene where you fight the evil. Obviously you're going to fight the evil, dude.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: So this actor American actor who previously worked as a child actor on such films as nineteen eighty eight's The Deadpool, nineteen ninety one's Child's Play three, and various TV shows including The Wonder Years and Blossom. And he was active through I believe around two thousand and nine when he retired from acting.
Speaker 3: Okay, but as we said, it's it's not just one rogue in the lead. It's a buddy rogue movie. Yes, so we got the other one, played by Marlon Wayans.
Speaker 1: Yes, Marlon Wayans of the Wayans Brothers plays Snails. Snails is another generic rogue. I believe he uses the comedic sidekick specialization within the rogue archetype.
Speaker 3: Here arcane prankster.
Speaker 1: Essentially, but no magic.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So. Born nineteen seventy two, Wayan's brother actor, writer, and comedian who's best known for wildly over the top comedic performances in such films as The Scary Movie Franchise, which he also co wrote and co produced, two thousand and four's White Chicks and two thousand and six Little Man and I haven't seen this one, but this is the one where he plays like a cgi face assisted baby, like it's Marlon Wayan's face on a baby. Oh no, so I mean it's what put him on the map, and people enjoyed these films that made him a success, And that is mostly the vibe we get in D and D. He is the comedic relief. He has won maybe two scenes but most likely one scene in this movie where he mostly plays it straight, but for the most part it's full scary movie mode for the rest of the picture.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's doing comedy, physical comedy, and character comedy for most of the film, which makes it rather jarring. In the scene where he gets murdered by the villain, which is suddenly very serious, and all his friends are like, no, dead, and I kept thinking, well, surely he can't really be dead. That would be so totally weird, especially given how just he's like joking all the time. But no, he's just dead. They just killed him.
Speaker 1: He pulls such faces in scenes where he's not even talking that reminded me of some of the supporting performances by this particular vaudevillian actor in Santa Claus Versus the Martians, Like it's that level of just over the top intensity.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: But the crazy thing for me though, was I was like, I was looking at his filmography and I realized, you know, the year two thousand, that's also the year that Marlon Wayans appeared and was widely considered a really solid, serious, dramatic performance from him. And that's Darren Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I had forgotten he was in that, but yeah, he's great in that. This is around the same time. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I mean, you know, the man has and had the tools. But I mean, obviously there's a lot more money to be made in the comedy business. But yeah, that's snails. More on snails than in a bit, all right. The next character, I think is obviously an NPC. I don't think she has any marketable skills other than she is the Empress. The Empress Savina played by Thora Birch.
Speaker 3: Now we're gonna we're making a habit of having to say this as we talk about every actor playing a good character in this movie. But no offense to the actor here, no offense to Thora Birch. But there, Yeah, there is not much going on with this character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they were maybe going for a childlike empress vibe here, you know, from the never ending story, Except what if we weighed her down with like two tons of chain mail, because she just ends up looking uncomfortable in most of these scenes.
Speaker 3: Well, but also force her to make speeches like engage in political rhetoric. The childlike Empress does not do that, right.
Speaker 1: So, born in nineteen eighty two, she kicked things off as a child actor, and at this point had already appeared in such films as nineteen ninety two's Patriot Games, ninety three's hocus Pocus ninety four is clear and present danger and very important one episode of the nineteen nineties Outer Limits. But this film is also sandwich between two of her most critically acclaimed films. I believe when they filmed Dungeons and Dragons, they'd already shot nineteen ninety nine's American Beauty, but then it comes out before D and D comes out, obviously, and then after American Beauty came out, of course, she received a lot of acclaim for that performance, and then she would go on to have a really solid performance in two thousand and one's Ghost World, opposite Scarlett Johansson and Steve Usimmi. It's been a long time since I've seen either of those films, but I do remember her as being rather good in Ghost World.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I've seen either of those since the early two thousands. But yeah, same like thor Birch, I like with much of the cast, I would be curious to hear her thoughts and what she remembers about making this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, I you know, again, solid actress, but this is not the picture. All right, let's move back to the actual adventuring party. We also have Marina Pretensa. She is a human mage and she was played by Zoe mcleland born nineteen seventy four, American TV actress, best known for this film. I think, and I have to say, I thought she was actually pretty good in this role. Despite the flat misogyny gags that were kind of shoehorned in there, I don't know, she was more alive, Her character felt more alive, and her performance therefore followed in ways that other characters did not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, another example of not a great, not a wonderfully written role, but she's doing what she can with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she appeared on such TV shows star Trek Voyager, and I think she was main cast on Designated Survivor. All right, Next up, we have el Wood Gutworthy. He is a dwarven fighter and he is played by Lee Arenberg born nineteen sixty two, possibly under celebrated American character actor. You might not know his name, but you'll instantly recognize him from such projects as the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which he played. His character's name is pinel Pinel.
Speaker 3: See one of the two sort of comedy pirates, the bad guy comedy Pirates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the bald one, the bald bearded comedy pirate. He also has appeared on TV shows like Friends and Seinfeld. But I think the first place I saw him was a nineteen ninety Tales from the Crypt episode titled for Crying Out Loud, which co starred Katie Segal, Iggy Pop and Sam Kennison as the voice in Arenberg's head.
Speaker 3: Sam Kennison as the voice in his head. Yes. Wow.
Speaker 1: He also played the Eternal Flame in the nineteen ninety three cinematic Marvel Freaked, and you'll also find him in some other bits as well, like he plays a hold up man in RoboCop three.
Speaker 3: As for his role in this movie, I mean, I hope you like seeing food in people's beards. That's a yuck yuck. You know they're gonna go for that joke many times, and you will actually be quite impressed how much food they can fit in his beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just kept saying it's not funny enough. Let's add more chicken wings to the gag.
Speaker 3: More chicken. Yeah. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I remember being a little grumpy about the dwarf as comic relief elements in Jackson's Lord of the Rings. But gut worthy here is ten thousand times worse than any of that. Like, this film's vision for a dwarf is that of a kind of drunken, bearded umpa lumpa whose main character traits are alcoholism, gluttony, and poor hygiene.
Speaker 3: Yes, he drinks, he fights, he has chicken.
Speaker 1: And beard, and that's that's pretty much. Yet it's kind of awful. And I think like he is painted orange or I don't like it's like he has like an orange beard, like a bright orange beard, and I think there's like orange pain on his face. It is it's just everything is wrong. About this presentation.
Speaker 3: Okay, but no confusion about class here. This is our standard fighter. He's like, got a battle axe, That's what he does.
Speaker 1: He specializes, though, in background fighting, not like key villain fighting, but just background stuff.
Speaker 3: Doing doing a leg sweep and uh well I think he leg sweeps Damodar one time.
Speaker 1: Oh it gets one hit, you know, It's it's a team effort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but mostly you're right. He's back there slamming around while our more prominent characters are in the foreground.
Speaker 1: All right. Up next, we have Norda, an Elvin ranger played by Kristin Wilson born nineteen sixty nine, American actress best known for playing Lisa Doolittle in nineteen ninety eight's Doctor Doolittle and It's two thousand and one sequel. Interestingly enough, she's married to makeup affects artist Martin Estell's who worked on Chronicles of Riddick and also worked on this film, So it's very possible that dungeons and dragons brought this couple together.
Speaker 3: What better way to find true love.
Speaker 1: As for her performance, I mean, I think it seems fine. They have her wearing one of those ridiculous fantasy female breastplates, but that aside. You know, I totally bought her as a no nonsense Elvian ranger.
Speaker 3: She has a good funny moment when Snails is trying to flirt with her and she's like, how old are you? And he says twenty three and she's like, I'm two hundred and thirty five.
Speaker 1: That was pretty good. Yeah, all right. Next up, we have just really a couple of kind of fun cameos, a little side characters that are encountered. The first I already mentioned in passing that Richard O'Brien shows up, and yes, Richard O'Brien shows up as Zilious, a master thief born nineteen forty two. This is, of course the mastermind behind the Rocky Heart Picture Show, in which he also played riff Raff. He played He played Mister Hand in nineteen ninety eight s Dark City, and we previously mentioned him in our episode on nineteen eighty's Flash Gordon, in which he played a character named Falco. We're gonna come back to O'Brien in the future when we talk about a film in which he's more central, So you know, I'll keep this brief and say that, yeah, he does bring his signature charisma to this small role, but he still manages to feel a bit out of place as well.
Speaker 3: I'd say, once again doing what he can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ooh, but then Tom Baker shows up as hal varth An Elvin Kleric kind of late in the film. He attempts, but what fails to resurrect Snails. Who's he healing?
Speaker 3: He's healing justin Welle healing Ridley. He's like, he's apps in with Yellow Zippi's apps.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, Snails is just all the way dead at this.
Speaker 3: Point, Snails is dead. Well, Snails does resurrect at the end of the movie. Oh okay, remember they like they put a thing a jewel on his grave and then it suggests he's still alive somewhere else and they could go meet him.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, okay, well, all right, there's so there's some hope for Snails. Yeah so yeah, okay, so he heals our main protagonist.
Speaker 3: Yes he's not. We've been saying about a lot of people. They do what they can. I don't know. Tom Baker feels like he's kind of sleep walking through this. When he says his lines. It feels like he's saying them for the first time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. I mean, that may very well be the case, but maybe I just find Tom Baker captivating enough that that leak enough for me where I'm like, Hey, this guy's doing it, this guy knows what he's doing. Look at that.
Speaker 3: I mean Tom Baker's Tom Baker. Yeah he So he brings more Doctor Who energy than rasputant energy.
Speaker 1: I'd say here, Yeah, so Tom Baker, if you're not famire born nineteen thirty four, still active, I believe, a British actor of stage, screen and TV, best known as the fourth and longest serving incarnation of the doctor in Doctor Who from nineteen seventy four to nineteen eighty one. And there have been so many great doctors over the years, but I think Baker still stands out as one of the most iconic. And I think for me, he's like, this is my Doctor Who. If I'm ever if I remember in a room and there's a Doctor Who episode playing and it's Tom Baker, I'm just drawn in. I've got to see what he's gonna do, what's he's gonna say. He's my go to.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I think I know way less Doctor Who than you do, but I do think of them. I do think of him as the doctor among many doctors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, he can play it all. He can be silly, obviously. He can also play malicious characters, such as in seventy three is the Vault of Horror and also the Golden Voyage of Sinbad from the same year. He can also play serious really well. And you mentioned his role as Resputant and Nicholas and Alexandra from nineteen seventy two, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe.
Speaker 3: He is mesmerizing in that role.
Speaker 1: That's one. I still need to see ivants in that one. But I have seen the Golden Voyage it sent that.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. It's got some great monsters in it all right.
Speaker 1: And finally, the composer for this film is Justin Cain Burnette born nineteen seventy three, American film and video game music composer who apparently worked under Hans Zimmer early in his career, and he's gone on to score numerous genre pictures such as two thousand and fives in American Haunting and some fairly big TV projects as well, like The Patient, in addition to working in the musical department on some pretty big films by the likes of Michael Bay and Tony Scott and Ridley Scott.
Speaker 3: I don't think the music in this is bad, though. Sometimes it's kind of a funny fit. Like the opening fanfare sounds to me a lot like the music from a sports movie. It sounds like, oh, you know, Johnny's running for the touchdown and you know they finally put him in and he's gonna save the team season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or it's just kind of like I mean, it's like I've said before, you know, sometimes the film's musical score needs to kind feel invisible. It's just working in the background doing its thing. And you know, I guess that's basically what the score here does.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, are you ready to talk about the plot?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 3: So the movie starts with something that absolutely feels tacked on in post production. It's some voiceover narration playing over a dismal gray screen with some wisps of CGI missed, and it's just an old man's voice. I don't know who's talking here, but it says the Empire of Ismir has long been a divided land ruled by the Mages an elite group of magic users. The lowly commoners, those without magic, are little more than slaves. Izmir's young Empress Savina wishes equality and prosperity for all, but the evil mage Profion has other intentions.
Speaker 1: No, I have to admit it's intriguing. Imagine if they've shown us any of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the horns start blasting. This is the part where it sounds like football. And then we zoom over a bunch of CGI. So we're zooming over bridges spanning a waterway with a mini towered castle rising beyond. And real question when we get a look at this castle, I was genuinely wondering, is this CGI model based on the Disney Castle image, the more elaborate one, Because it looks like it.
Speaker 1: We are like swooping in on it. It feels like it very much the same trajectory as we do the Disney Castle, and the opening Disney logo sequence feels a lot like it.
Speaker 3: But then, perhaps fittingly for the theme, does the camera fly into a window in one of the majestic lofty towers in the sky. No, it does not. Instead, we plunge down over the surface of the moat and then straight through the heavy iron bars of a gate leading into a dungeon.
Speaker 1: It's fittings. You know, we didn't really get into this, but it's called dungeons and dragons, so you can imagine. Producers are like, Okay, there needs to be a dungeon and there needs to be a dragon, and really, if you could fit all of this into the first ten minutes of the film, that would be great.
Speaker 3: So the environments here, again to emphasize, are at this point CGI and the animation is murky and hideous. I was trying to describe what these environments look like. It's a little difficult, but like in nineties computer game terms, imagine the CD ROM game Missed, but make it fugly instead of mysterious. So it's like misst but with the drab, depressing color palette of the original quake. Yes, So we fly through a tunnel in this dungeon into a room where a bunch of hooded occult servants are toiling in the dark. There are chains, ladders, gears, lanterns, and skulls, lots of skulls just sitting around in random places. There's one thing that looks like a kind of a ramp or a gangway on top of a pipe that's pouring water into a big stone pool, and on the ramp there's just a skull sitting right in the middle of it. Somebody's gonna step on that.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, this one fell out, just put it on top of the box.
Speaker 3: There's some kind of big machine being operated, so we've got cultists. They're pulling chains and working levers. There's a big cogwheel revolving, and then in the middle of the room there is a three axis gimbal. So you might have seen these with like I don't know, used for astronaut training, where it's the rings that spin within rings along the different axes. And what's in the middle is not an astronaut. It is a large black scepter fixed with a green jewel.
Speaker 1: You know, I need to throw in here. I was able to get my kid to watch the first like thirty minutes of this film with me because they're about to turn thirteen and they're already super into Dungeons and Dragons. You know, they've read the books, they're playing the game, and so it was fun to watch part of this. I really didn't expect or demand that they watch all of this film with me. But at this point they were already like, oh, it looks like they're making a making a magical item there, and they started spouting all the rules for how long it's going to take to make a magical weapon and so forth.
Speaker 3: Did this lead to frustration.
Speaker 1: That they did quickly realize this is not a good film, but they didn't seem bored And I have to drive home. At this point we are into the physical sets, practical sets, and it's a totally different vibe, like, Yeah, I'm buying this as a real place and I'm intrigued by what's going on here.
Speaker 3: And then also, hey, so yeah, we've come out of the CGI into the real sets and we get our first glimpse of the main attraction, Jeremy Irons.
Speaker 1: Oh what an entry. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So he's like an evil mage dressed in black, wearing a burgundy cloak, and from the very first second he appears, he is just squealing with raw ham energy. He comes waltzing down the dungeon stairs towards the scepter machine, and he's got his arms stretched out to the sides like he's doing ballet. And also off to the side, you've got Bruce Payne playing the henchman Damnadar, and again, yeah, he's like bald and haughty with with the muscle morph armor and the big sword and the electric blue lips. And then we get a close up of Profyon the Mage here looking evil, and it's a close up, like his face fills the entire frame and you can see all his pores. You can see that this must have been filmed in the afternoon because his mustache stubble is starting to come in, and you can see the way someone appears to have combed his eyebrows so that the hairs all flare upward. And then the evil music swells and it's clear he wants that scepter, so he steps forward and he sticks his hand out and zaps the rod with force lightning. Also you can see rob I've got a screenshot for you to look at here, but it's like he has to step over some little moats, little like gutters on the floor in order to get to the thing. He's gonna get his cloak wet.
Speaker 1: That's true. I mean you've got to just expect to get your cloak muddy and bloody.
Speaker 3: And wet in these scenarios. Yeah, So Profion starts chanting a magic spell. It's a bunch of nonsense words, and we see little cgi dragons flying around inside a kind of portal in the gimbal machine. And then Jeremy Irons keeps ratcheting up the intensity and his face bones so it just goes in on him and he's going off. His face is getting weirder and crazier, and something finally works with his magic. The machine stops spinning and Profion can approach and remove the artifact and it's glowing green. It casts a sickly green light over his face. And oh, my lord, the expressions he is making here, Like he projects a quivering, overtly sexual ecstasy as he takes hold of the magic step. So he like grabs the rod with this electric zapping effect and then he holds it up in the air, screaming yes, and just like Folks, even if you don't want to watch the whole movie, I recommend you watched this scene at the beginning, just to do like the Jeremy Iron's face survey, you know, add little tasting notes at all, the little moments where you get to see his teeth doing this, his tongue doing that. What's that sound he's making? Why is he going bad? It is so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you watch nothing else, watch the first fifteen minutes because you will get so much of this performance. It is just oh, it is just a like a stiff shot of absolute like one twenty percent to Jeremy Iron's ham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and of course it's it's Bruce Payne approved. He's sitting there like the you know, his lips tight together, like yep, yep, that's my boss.
Speaker 1: Oh god, those lips.
Speaker 3: So pro says, come Damadhar, and they walk up the steps to a big door that has what can only be described as a dragon logo on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like behind this door it's dragons are us. And Profion calls out to his terrified hooded servants. He says, release him. So the guys in hoods they're trembling with fear. They start cranking a bunch of wheels and levers and the door opens up to dragons r us and what do you know, there's a dragon inside and it starts coming out, and what a dragon this is. As I've said many times now, we're trying not to just hate on the movie too much, but We've got to tell you straight that this is some of the worst CGI I can think of in any major motion picture.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my goodness, I mean the dragon does does not look good. I mean the the CGI is not good. And then just it's just such a generic looking dragon as well. I mean, especially when you consider what's already come before practic We talked about Verma Thrack's pejorative in the Dragon Swayer on a previous episode of Weird House Cinema, like one of the greatest dragons ever brought to life on the screen. To go from something like that to something like this, it's just it's a travesty.
Speaker 3: Now, it doesn't look quite so bad at the very first moment because it's farther away and partially hidden in darkness. But then it like lunges out and it starts spitting fire on all the hooded cult guys and it roars into the camera. I think they were actually going for a callback to Jurassic Park. There are a couple of moments where it does where the CGI dragon does a kind of body motion or something almost exactly like a shot in Jurassic Park, and it seems not accidental.
Speaker 1: It is often sobering to realize how early Jurassic Park comes out in relation to some of these films with bad CGI monsters later on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah this, so this dragon is not finished baking, but no more time. It's out of the heaven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta get this out before Y two K.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so Profion commands the dragon to approach him, and he starts gloating. He says, yes, I control dragons now, and Damodar is just dripping with obsequious flattery. He's like, you have the power of the immortals, and Profion says he's snarling. He says, with a dragon army at my command, I can crush the Impress. I can control what is rightfully ours. Go. I'm not going to keep trying to do the Jeremy Iron's voice when I quote him. So he just keeps doing amazingly weird stuff with his face, voice and tongue. Here, Rob, this is the part where you were talking about his skull trying to escape, and so he's oh, and he also he says things that are echoing kind of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. He's like, I can use every ounce of your rage. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and unfortunately nothing gold can stay. There's a little pun because this is a gold dragon. Apparently something goes wrong and Profion.
Speaker 1: Keeps do they say it's a gold dragon?
Speaker 3: They say, they say that the Impresses dragons are gold dragons.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not right. I'm not going to get into it. That's that's I mean, that shouldn't be. Gold dragons are special. They're nobody's dungeon.
Speaker 3: Well no, I think we do need to get into this later. Because also they bring up like red dragons in contrast to the gold dragons, as if like it was like, oh, oh, red dragons, that that would be really that's really something, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean in short, like gold dragons are good and red dragons are bad. Okay, So it's weird that we're dealing with a gold dragon like.
Speaker 3: This, Well the gold dragon here, that makes sense because the gold dragon does not want to obey Profion, and so it like starts backing up into it. Cl It's like, no, no, I'm not working with this guy. And then the door slams shut on it and like stabs it and and a death recalling almost exactly in another callback to Return of the Jedi, the Demid the rank or in return of the Jedi. That's right, they rank or it and then we get to watch the dragon's cgi blood spill out and pool on the floor and then run down the stairs, which looks absolutely hilarious. And I have questions about shots like this in the movies, like how expensive would it have been to actually just pour some red krosyrup blood down a staircase versus the cost of computer animating flowing blood in the year two thousand? Why would this be done? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess we have to be at that tipping point here where the digital effect is cheaper than the practical effect, even though the digital does not look nearly as believable.
Speaker 3: How could that even be though? Like how much does it cost to make a bucket of fake blood? And just I mean, I guess the cost of the labor to clean it up after you've spilled it?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I don't know. I mean maybe it's it's there in the budget chet where they're like, we're already paying for these digital effects, let's have them do the blood. I don't know, they can't afford some just good Kensington Gore whip stuff on the spot.
Speaker 3: Bizarre anyway, Jeremy irons he like groans with frustration. It's like not again, and he puts his head in his hands. He just foiled. So he says, this is the part where he says, we shall have to modify our plans. He says they're going to summon the High Council of Mages and that he's going to try to turn them against the Impress, and Damadar says it will be done. And then oh, when the cgi blood hits the water below, the water catches fire, and then the fire runs out of the dungeon into the moat all around the castle. So the whole city can see the fire, and they gather around the moat to look at.
Speaker 1: It, but they're not like super concerned. It's kind of like, oh, the river's on fire again, you know, It's just this happens. This is just the kind of ecological nightmare we're living in.
Speaker 3: It's the Cuyahoga. Yeah. So on the banks of the moat, here we meet our two protagonists. This is our pair of buddy rogues. This is Ridley and Snails, Justin Whalen and Marlon Wayans. Ridley's first line, commenting on the water catching fire. He says, I'm telling you it's got to be some twisted magic experiment gone seriously wrong. And you know, Snails is less, He's got less of a bee in his bondet about this. He's just like, you know, Ridley, why are you always mad at the Mages? And Ridley says, I'd just love to find a way to give those mages some payback. So, as I said earlier, in this movie, mages seems to be an economic class. Mages are the rich, seemingly whether or not they're personally really like a wizard. And Ridley and Snails, on the other hand, are representatives of the common people. Ridley is a sort of idealistic class warrior who wants to fight for the poor and stick it to the mages, and Snails is less idealistic. The way he explains it, he's like, the world's never going to change. There are the haves, the have nots, and the gotta gets, and we two rogues. We are in the last group where the gotta gets. But Ridley comes up with an idea of what they should do to punish the Mages for setting fire to the river. They're going to pull off a heist at the Magic School, which is in the highest tower in the castle. And also I'm not going to narrate all this as we go on throughout the movie, but just be aware that in every scene with Ridley and Snails, there's a lot of what is supposed to be comedic banter and like you know, comedic back and forth and zany character gags, and I'm trying to be generous, but most of it does not work very well, and it is rarely very funny.
Speaker 1: So they have decided that they are going to get their revenge by breaking into the stronghold of some of the most powerful and dangerous people on the planet.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, and they're going to steal from them.
Speaker 1: Ye all right, sounds good. Sounds like a good plant.
Speaker 3: So from here we move on to it scene that looks like it was filmed in the opera house in Amadeas. It's like a beautiful interior location, but this is the Council of Mages and it's got box seats full of old men and cloaks, and there appears to be a sort of floor debate going on between Profion and a guy who's sort of impress Savena's ally named Asmath. So there are a lot of old men yelling in the background, But basically the gist of the scene is that Profion is saying, the Empress is going to dissolve the Council of Mages and seize power for herself. He explains that she wants to do this because of her naive belief that she can bring justice and equality to all the people. And then as Math tries to calm him down, he's like, oh, no, no, no. In time, with our council, she will come to see why things cannot be changed. And then Profion says, maybe so, but is that a risk you are willing to take. Her revolutionary ideas have already taken root among the people. In time, her influence will go row. As the months go by, she will learn to master the powers of her scepter, and when she does, I have no doubt she will use it to enforce her changes upon us.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so you know, they're they're arguing about this political situation, but I feel like we need to go one step of, we need to go one step back. What does the Council of Mages do? Like, what are its powers and agenda currently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are the checks and balances right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Profion urges the council to vote to remove the scepter from the Empress's control and destroy the threat of revolution forever. Is this supposed to be the sceptor that he was already trying to use in the scene before.
Speaker 1: I think I become increasingly confused about scepters in this movie. It starts out so clear, like there's the scepter, it's got a you know, a grain gem on it, trying to use it to control the dragons. But then there's talk of her scepter later on, there's a skeleton with a sceptor. Are these a rod? Are they?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's the rod?
Speaker 3: Rod?
Speaker 1: Okay? But I found myself confused at multiple times, like rod, scepter, multiple scepters, multiple rods. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Only a fool would confuse a rod with a sceptor. And then also we get a scene where we meet the Empress somewhere else in the castle, so thora Birch is she's the Impress, She's she's kind of goth in this scene, but in a later scene she's got some are they cool? Yeah? I guess cool? Cool weird costumes in this movie and this this scene, she's kind of goth with like pins stuck in her hair. Later on she'll be in like bizarre gold chain mail.
Speaker 1: She looks more comfortable here for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes, but this scene was actually shot in a very beautiful location. Once again, I think this must be some kind of cathedral or basilica somewhere. This doesn't look like a movie set anyway. She's been She's being advised by a kindly older mage named Vilden, and he explains that the the mages are afraid of her because she believes in freedom and equality for all the people, and so they're trying to limit her power. And he's got a way for her to outsmart the mage counsel and get the upper hand, and that is to acquire the rod. You know the rod. Yes, it's the mcguffin, the main mcguffin of the movie. She's got to acquire the Rod of Savriel, which controls dragons, but unlike her scepter, it controls red dragons. Here's what I was talking about. In the scene. They don't explain it. Is this something that the audience is supposed to understand because it's just like, oh, red dragons. Oh wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, By the way, I want to add that it does kind of feel like every MPC we encounter has a name made up on the fly by the DM where the game's like. And then the mage introduces his name as Vilden his name, and let me write that down so I remember it.
Speaker 3: Later the exact same thought. The naming game is not strong here Wilden, Yes, a Profion Yeah, anyway, Profion overhears this conversation with the help of a little magical spy creature. Where is this supposed to be a mefeit?
Speaker 1: You think, yes, I did not make this connection, but my kid did. They were like, oh the method.
Speaker 3: I think that could be right. Yeah, okay, anyway, so he's got a little like spy, a little gray spy demon that runs around peeping on things. And then he knows immediately. So Jeremy Irons is like, I must have the Rod of Savriel. He says, with one wave of it, he's going to be able to topple the Empress and bring down that useless Council of idiots with her. So he sends Damodar to the Magic School to steal the scroll that shows the location of the Rod of Savriel from Vilden and then kill Vilden too. So here's where our characters start kind of colliding with each other. So Ridley and Snails they sneak into the magic School to steal things in the night. Of course, they're using rope and grappling hooks. You know, they're rogues, that's what you do. They make a lot of jokes about how Snails, I think is afraid of heights, which is not great for a rogue.
Speaker 1: But rogues can always go under or through, they don't have to go over.
Speaker 3: I guess that's true. And then there's some gags here with like big foam dragon teeth and magical boxes of illusions and stuff. Meanwhile, in the room next door we meet another character. This is Vildun's assistant, Marina, who is a young mage in training. Yes her name is Marina like the place where boats go, and Marina is very intelligent, but she is also snobby and condescending to non mages. So Vilden and Marina are looking for the scroll that says where the rod is, because you know, you got to get the rod, and eventually they find it, but they are interrupted when Marina catches Ridley and Snails in the middle of like loading up their lut sacks. She ties them up with a magical lasso, but then is interrupted once again when damn It shows up to kill Vildan and take the scroll. So Damodar kills Vilden and Marina escapes through a magical portal, the first of many, with the scroll, inadvertently pulling Ridley and Snails along behind her with the lasso. This portal takes them out into the streets of the city below, and then, while running through the streets pursued by the bad guys, our three young heroes bump into a dwarf warrior who I believe is sleeping in a big compost heap.
Speaker 1: Yes, because according to this film, that's what dwarfs do. They drink, they eat, they don't brush their teeth, and they sleep on piles.
Speaker 3: Of garbage on compost. Yeah. So now our three heroes, and then now also the dwarf fighter, who we will come to learn is named Elwood. They all dive down into a drain pipe in the sewer to escape as Damodar closes in. So Elwood is just a member of the party. Now, it's that fast. They just bump into him in some garbage, and now he's part of the party.
Speaker 1: That was his call to adventure was just somebody bumped into him. Now we're hanging out.
Speaker 3: And here's where we get one of Bruce Payne's most unbelievable line deliveries. I wrote down exactly what it is. He says, post brigades at every sewer, entrance and exit. I want them found now. But you will just not believe how he says that.
Speaker 1: He says it like it's his only line in the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Anyway, later we learned that Marina has been framed for the murder of her teacher, and the four heroes decide that they've got to work together. Ooh, and then here's where we get that great ludicrous scene where Jeremy Irons punishes Bruce Payne for letting them escape, so he puts CGI snakes in Bruce Payne's ears. I don't know, how would you describe the parasite implantation scene?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Weird CGI creature. I'm not sure how it gets in exactly, Like does he shove in his mouth.
Speaker 3: He's like zaps it into him somehow. But then we see it like running around underneath his skin, and then it comes up to his ears and his ears get all swollen, and then the snakes pop out of his ears and he looks unhappy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as I know, this is not something. It may be something in D and D. There are a lot of creatures in D and D, and this is not what I'm familiar with it in any case. But I mean, the CGI is not the best, but it's also not the worst, even by this movie's standards. It and pain does a good job selling like the otherworldly pain of having this creature inside his head. And I have to say you included a very nice screenshot here where Jeremy Irons is looming behind him and you have these like the osuary constructures like crowning his head, like horns of like skeletal horns. It's it's really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh yeah, another actually great interior location here, but yeah, for a ridiculous scene.
Speaker 1: And it's like he's being with a fate worse than death for like a minor screw up.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: We also learned here that the Impress's tracker Norda, is in pursuit of the scroll as well. So this is how we're gonna work what seems like a ranger character.
Speaker 1: In Yeah, yeah, she's a ranger, and he's like, just follow her. This just got a lot easier. Also, that's that's the whine I put the snake in your head so we can follow the tracker.
Speaker 3: So now we go to a bar, which is basically the most icedly canteena scene. We just see a lot of people, a lot of different kinds of creatures running around drinking, you know, zany antics, people just dancing, just kind of dancing like they're at a club kind of. It doesn't necessarily look like the medieval aesthetic of a dance dance going on.
Speaker 1: It's a weird scene because some of the creatures just look like dudes in face paint. Others look like like serious attempts to create something like goblins or orcs. Yeah, and others look like they jumped off the page of the Garden of Earthly Delights, you know.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah. This is also the scene where they're trying to figure out how much chicken they can fit in Elwood's beard.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the answer is a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So he's trying to tell stories while he's eating like a chicken hole. You know, that's the joke like you just take the whole chicken and shove it in your face. But they seem so Our heroes seem to have arrived at a consensus that they can find the rod of Savrial themselves and that they need to do this. And this appeals to Marina because she's going to be able to clear her name. And then the others are tempted by the idea of a financial reward from the Empress when they deliver it to her. And there's a lot more banter and open mouth chewing related comedy. I was trying to think. Major takeaways from the scene are, like, there's class antagonism. Marina insults Ridley and Snails for being criminals, and they try to explain to her the concept of honor among thieves. That's where this comes in. She's like, well, commoners really are common it seems, and Elwood wants gold and chicken, and so it becomes clear that Ridley has a crush on Marina. Uh oh, So they kind of even though they argue, they don't part ways, they're kind of drawn together and they figure out how to do some kind of magic teleportation into inside the scroll. I don't remember exactly what's going on there. But also in the scene, Snails meets Norda, the Empress's ranger. You know, she's very very kind of stoic and keeps the cards close to the chest. But he goes up and tries to buy her some wine and like whispers to the bartender, like make it your cheapest wine. But then this scene is ended when Damadar and his soldiers show up. And this is going to be a pattern throughout the film where there's just like a scene that ends because Damodar arrives that just happens over and over and over.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean it's not the worst structure have I guess in a story, but but yeah, it is definitely the pattern.
Speaker 3: Elwood cleverly covers their escape by flipping over a table and shouting bar fight yeah, which and everyone obeys.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, later Ridley and Marina they teleport like back out of the scroll and now they know what the next leg of the quest is. Somehow they know that they've got to get into the Temple of Dragons so they can get the rod. And to get into the Temple of Dragons, they've got to have a magic artifact called the Eye of the Dragon, which is held by Zylas, the boss of the Thieves Guild in a different city called Antius. You catch all that you're getting all these details.
Speaker 1: Are you supposed to write this on the back of your character sheet. I mean you can refer back to it and then check them off as you get them. It's like, Okay, first we got to get the one, and then we need to get.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so that's where they're going next. And then they show like a couple of the nicest looking things in the movie are just random, like zoomed out location shot. So there's one going going into Antius that doesn't look too bad. That's like, it's kind of interesting. It's like showing these big kind of castle fortified castles up on these spires of rock rising above a valley with bridges spanning out to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks really cool. I don't really get the sense that the place we then go to is in fact this location. No, it doesn't look like it, but would have been neat to go there. There's a lot of goofing around. When our heroes arrive.
Speaker 3: They go to the marketplace and they just see weird people and creatures and it's like, oh, I'm you know, I'm getting distracted from our mission by various things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Our mage momentarily looks at some jewelry that's being sold by a vendor, and the dwarf says, if I don't get to drink, you don't get to shop.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh my god, oh boy. And eventually they talk their way into a meeting with Zilas at the Thieves Guild played by Richard O'Brien and Marina. When they go in, Marina says to Justin Whalen, She's like, so, this is it, right, everything a thief strives for? And Ridley says, yea, yeah, So what a thief strives for is to live in like a baroque salon with purple walls, gold furniture, rugs and pillows everywhere, and lots of weird people lounging about in various states of dress, and also somebody to feed you grapes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he really. Richard O'Brien's character comes off more as like King of the Circus as opposed to like Prince of Thiefs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree, there's there is a showbiz element to him that doesn't quite feel like the Thieves Guild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, everything feels a little off with this character and this presentation and this whole scene. Again, none of this is like Richard O'Brien's fault. It's just I don't know, things didn't come together right. And then we also have that weird purple headed guy. Yeah, and the eye with the third eye, and also just like some very like strong overacting underteaeth, all that makeup that was just distracting every time he was on this. I was just trying to figure out what choices led us to this.
Speaker 3: So thoughts on Richard O'Brien's performance. He's not hamming it up with quite the rocket fuel intensity of Jeremy Irons, but I think he is having fun with this goofy roll. He's sort of a pale, greasy human eel version of Job of the Hut, but he's got this like wide ingratiating smile. He does some casual sexual harassment of Marina. He's a little off and he makes some vaguely threatening comments at them, but then eventually a deal emerges. He's like, Okay, there's a thing called the Antius Guild Maze. It's sort of a deadly obstacle course full of traps, and if Ridley can make it through, he's going to get the Dragon's Eye. And Okay, they make a deal, So I'm not going to narrate solving the maze, but anyway, Justin Whalen has to solve and avoid some Indiana Jones traps to get the prize at the end of the course.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if this maybe British listeners can chime in on this. I wonder if this whole thing is a reference to the Crystal Mayze game show that I know Richard O'Brien was one of the hosts of.
Speaker 3: Oh I know nothing of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's certainly nothing I've ever seen, but I'm just familiar with it from being familiar with Richard O'Brien's work over the years.
Speaker 3: Now, at the end of this whole sequence, Zilas tries to betray them. So it seems the prize that Justin Whalen retrieved from the end of the maze was the artifact that he wanted and Xilas has never been able to get this out of the maze before, so he tries to steal it from Ridley, but they are interrupted by the arrival of Damadar once again, once again, and yet again, a big fight breaks out and our heroes except for Marina, are able to escape because of the fight, and Marina gets captured. Later, our heroes regroup in the woods and they are caught by Norda, the ranger, the tracker who works for the Impress. Here's where you get a good look at her armor, and it's funny. It's like very reflective, I don't know, it's like glinting even in the dark of the forest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very form fitting plate armor. And if you've ever seen any fantasy illustration of a female woman in armor, you know exactly what they're going for here.
Speaker 3: So she's trying to arrest them and take them back, take them and the scroll back to the Empress. But in this encounter instead she learns of the treachery of Profion, and then she reports back to thora Birch via a magical zoom call, and the Empress commands in Orda to instead work together with these people and seek out Damodar and acquire the rod. You must get the rod. Everybody wants the rod. So Norda is now on the same team as our heroes. Now Marina, of course, has been captured, and there's like an interrogation scene where Bruce Payne comes in with his blue lips and he's like, you know, ooh, I don't necessarily want to overthrow the Empress, but I have no choice. I've got ear snakes and she's like. He's like, can you help me? And she says no, I don't know how to help you. And then he gets real mad and he says he's like, well, I can suck the information I need out of your brain with my ear snakes, and then he does it. He gets the info he needs, which I think was basically like where are you going? Yeah, and then we're back with our heroes in Noorda where they're continuing their journey. We eventually find out they're going to come rescue Marina, and this is where you get that exchange between Norda and Snails where it's like, how old are you? I'm two hundred and thirty four?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, reasonably good joke there.
Speaker 3: So it's time for rescue. They get to the fortress where Marina is being held, and Snails and Ridley sneak in with the grappling hooks. This is the part where they say Ridley look beholders, and then there's just like a long shot with like there are some vaguely purple looking things in the distance, Like what those the purple blobs? Way far?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it almost feels like like the digital team was like, you know, we can we can throw some beholders into one of these scenes and you can do some added voiceover about it, and they're like, yeah, let's do it. But it's beholders. If you're not familiar with them, listeners. These are hideous, floating head like beings with numerous eyes on stalks and one central eye. They're incredibly dangerous creatures to run into in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. They're they're very evil, they're like super paranoid.
Speaker 3: They don't do.
Speaker 1: Grunt work guarding castles. Uh. There are some other like beholder related creatures like spectators that I guess you could maybe have in that role, but beholders are not doing that work. Beholders are not going to just be casually encountered. And more to the point, they're like there's like central Dungeons and Dragons ip, like these are things that that that they're almost instantly recognizable as dungeons and dragons creations, so kind of I mean, it's kind of neat that they're included as a as an easter egg here, I guess. But also just they totally don't make the most out of a beholder appearance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody fights one. They like throw a bone essentially to make one run off after it, and then they sneak in the Then our two rogues split up. Snails goes into Damodar's room and he gets he falls into like a pit of quicksand disguised as a rug. Is this something from D and D It may very well be.
Speaker 1: I did like the effect here, because oh yeah, this is a practical effect. They did some sort of like a painting on top of a like a movie quicksand situation, and he sinks into it.
Speaker 3: So I did like this, Yeah, I thought it looked good. He sinks into a bunch of oatmeal and his gross looking and then of course Damodar comes in and attacks Snails. He says something like he's like just like all thieves, always taking things that don't BELI long to you, like, that's a really good dig against a thief.
Speaker 1: It's true. It's true though, they're always doing it.
Speaker 3: And they fight, and you know, Snails before he's always being cowardly. He actually gets some good slashes in on Damadar and then he runs away and then we see Damadar like pursuing him at a steady march like Jason Vorhees. Meanwhile, Ridley rescues Marina from a dungeon. They fight their way out. We get one of those scenes where so many movies in the nineties like this, a scene where the girl hits a guard with a stick and the boy says nice, you know, and then you gotta have that. And then Damodar corners Snails at a dead end on the castle grounds and they fight and his brutal Damadar beats him up and like breaks his bones. We hear bones cracking and crunching, and then Ridley and Marina show up to the rescue and I was like, okay, okay, Snail's gonna be okay, They're gonna help him, and then nope, he just gets murdered. Damadar kills him. Like this is off tone something I don't know. It didn't feel like that was supposed to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the tone on this choice is a little off, but yeah, kills him dead and you know, ending possibilities aside like he's super dead, he mostly stays dead also.
Speaker 3: Then then Bruce Payne stabs Ridley with the sword, and just when he's about to finish him off, Marina saves the day by zapping Damodar with pink magic and then teleporting them away to somewhere else once again. Yes, so that encounters over rip Snails. There's a brief interlude where we get to see the Empress giving a very wooden speech at the Mage's Council about the people and about Profion's treachery, and she says she says Profion is trying to take all the power for himself. Profion accuses her of the same. They go back and forth, and it's weird energy because it's like Jeremy Iron's frothing at the mouth versus an introverted teenager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this scene just I mean, Jeremy Irons is super amusing as always, but yeah, I just felt bad for thora Birch because like this, it just feels like like two completely different planets of acting going on here, and she doesn't look comfortable.
Speaker 3: Elsewhere, our heroes reach their destination. This is the part where I'm saying it's one of the best looking things in the movie. Kind of I'm not sure exactly what this is, but it looks to me like a hand painted background. It's basically, you know, it's like a big, drooping kind of giant tree with a bunch of glowing lights in it. It's a little bit Thomas Kincaidlothlauri and a little bit Ewok village on indoor, but with some dark magic. And it may be very pretty, but we are not ready to yub nub yet because the quest is not complete now. When they arrive, there's an elf played by Tom Baker with short blonde hair who heals Ridley by zappanim and then Tom Baker says a bunch of things. He says, he's just kind of talking out of nowhere. I don't think this is prompted by anything. He's like, the Elvin peoples do not require spells to work with magic. You use magic. We are part of it, as are all living creatures, including dragons. Sadly, humans see only their destructive powers. And then Ridley wakes up. He explains he had a bad dream where he saw a dragon being born, and then Tom Baker explains that magic is the life force of nature. He keeps everything around us alive, so if the dragons were to be destroyed, it would that would destroy the fabric of magic and with it all life. And at this point I was like, wait, who is this guy? Do they even say who he is?
Speaker 1: I was just so pleased that Tom Baker had finally shown up and there was some captivating acting happening on the screen. I was like, yeah, I trust you completely, whoever you are after.
Speaker 3: This, So of course Ridley is healed, and then there's that dark Knight of the Soul scene I mentioned earlier, where like Ridley and Marina are they're arguing about whether the Impress's plan to help the common people is worth putting faith in, and at one point Marina says that Ridley is what Snails died for. But also Marina says that she now understands why the common people, why non mages are worth fighting for, and then justin Waylen's like, you know, for a mage, you're pretty smart, and then big old kiss. But of course there's a little naked cgi demon looking on the methods there again, so we're gearing up for the final showdown. Our heroes are given some magical weapons. Ridley gets a silver sword and Elf says it will protect him. I do kind of like these costumes we see. I don't know who these elves are. I guess they're like wood elves of some sort, but they look like Texas chainsaw elves. They've got ed gain masks on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they look a little disturbing.
Speaker 3: OK, this is it's weird that a lot of the best looking visual stuff and I'm not saying it's that great, but the best stuff is like hidden away in the final third of the movie, but we get a scene where Ridley has to go into a dungeon alone to retrieve the rod before Belloc, I mean before Damadar gets it. And he's attempted by many treasures in the treasure room, but then he thinks better of it before removing anything. So he's like, gonna steal some gold, but then he's like, no, I shouldn't do this. He puts it back down and he says sorry snails, like snails would have wanted me to steal this. But he talks to a skeleton covered in cobwebs who identifies himself as sav Reel, the creator of the rod. Oh yeah, Now he says, be warned, anyone who wields the power of the Rod must suffer a horrible fate. And I think he says that the Rod must be destroyed or it's wielder will be destroyed. And then like absolutely out of nowhere, we just like cut to Jeremy Irons back in the city, back in some doll and he's screeching. The Impress has called out to dragons upon us. We see the dragons flying through the sky and attacking the tower. He's like, destroy them. So here we kind of go into action movie mode. A lot of the rest of the movie is just people fighting cgi dragons, people shooting giant ballistas at them, zapping them with magic, buildings exploding with dragonfire, and dragons versus dragons. There's like one part where a dragon gets zapped and it falls out of the sky and it gets impaled on a spire on top of a tower. The camera really lingers on this and it looks bad. And then of course a bunch of people are fighting for control of the Rod. So like Ridley brings it out of the dungeon, then Damodar steals it from Ridley in company. Then Ridley escapes and his friends they portal back to where Damodar is and then they steal the rod back from Profion.
Speaker 1: Now is it just one point each time you acquire the rod? Or how does the scoring work?
Speaker 3: Here? Very good question? Yeah, how does the experience? They're really racking up a lot of XP at the very end here. And so there's a final fight that's like Ridley versus Profion, And there is a line where Jeremy Irons says, not so talented. Hey, mister Ridley, I think the movie The Talented Mister Ripley had just come out like the year before.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, nineteen ninety nine. Yeah, solid movie. Always always a gamble to reference a better movie in your movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Ridley is Ridley gets hold of the rod at one point and he's like, okay, now I'm going to use the rod. That's been the whole point of the story. We got to get the rod so we can use it against Profion. But then he has a tempted by the ring moment he like holds it up and you can see him grinning with all the power he has. Now it's like flowing into him, and he looks at the dragons and you see him realizing what's happening, that he's being tempted, and he turns away from the power of the ring or from the power of the rod, and he refuses it. He says, I won't become you, referring to Profion, and then he smashes the rod with his sword.
Speaker 1: Foolishly. I thought he was going to give in for a second there, and I was like this, that there's more to this kid than I thought. Maybe he's got it in him. No, he doesn't have it in him.
Speaker 3: So anyway, he smashes it and then they're still fighting Profion. At one point, Profion summons a I think like a ghost bone dragon to attack the Empress.
Speaker 1: It just kind of like climbs on her back and makes her squat down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the Empress uses her gold scepter against Profion, and that like makes all the gold dragons that are flying around to come and eat Profion, like one eats him, like the t rex eats the guy off the toilet.
Speaker 1: And going back to our earlier discussion, yes, it does make sense that she would command gold dragons instead of red dragons because gold dragons are good, red dragons are bad. But also I mean dragons and dungeons. Dragons are not just you know, you know, beasts, they're highly intelligent. So there's a whole discussion we could have here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're treated more like beasts here, like you just kind of bossom around and they do what you say, and then the dragons fly away in the end, and now it seems like everything's good, you know, every all the problems are fixed. We get we're like cutting away and then we see we don't even see off screen. We hear the Impress in voiceover saying, this is a direct quote people of ismir, I do declare that you are now all equal. Let the celebration begin.
Speaker 1: That easy, Yeah, and then they were good.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you say that from the beginning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So here's a question. How many levels do you think these characters accrued during the during the run of the film here, because they feel like they start off at like level two and maybe cap it around level three. I don't feel like there's a tremendous amount of growth.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I was gonna say. I was going to say they spend most of the movie at level two and then in the last ten minutes they go from level two to level nine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, I mean they get some some high power magical weapons, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Do we ever see our magic users learning additional spells? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Do we see them throw dust around?
Speaker 3: They play?
Speaker 1: I mean, at least there are some spell components in the mix, but that's about all we see. I don't think we think we see any magical books.
Speaker 3: Really do we.
Speaker 1: See anybody reading from a tone of magic or a scroll?
Speaker 3: Not that I recall, and certainly not to learn a spell. I mean there is a library full of scrolls at the beginning.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it can be disappointing if the prop department can't really meet your needs on that. I mentioned the Color of Magic earlier in the in the picture, which has a great cast, and of course I love the work of Terry Pratchett. But as memory serves, there's a magical book that shows up in that picture that they just didn't make it look believable enough for me to be like a tome of ancient magic, Like it looks like they were really rushed creating it. So it's kind of a gamble there. You got. The props department has to be able to meet you on any of these requests. For sure.
Speaker 3: It's just a paperback of how to win friends and influence people. Yeah. Oh, but we also alluded to this. There's some kind of code. There's some kind of happy coda where they go to Snails's grave and then they like put the ruby on it and it lights up, and then it's like, oh, Snails is still alive if we go somewhere else and then they turn into they turn into magic and fly away.
Speaker 1: I mean it is true in Dungeons and Dragons, there's always a way to bring a character back. You know, it's a multiverse. There are all sorts of resurrection spells. There's no reason that a fun character needs to stay dead forever. So Snails will return, but actually he won't. But Snails could return. You could all go home and roll up a Snails and tell your dungeon master, Hey, I'm changing characters. Snails from two thousands Dungeons and Dragons is now Injuring. Our campaign.
Speaker 3: Our party is Snails profion. And I was gonna say l would, but like, what's the funny twist on it? Like what if Elwood became a vegetarian and he was always just getting Satan in his beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Satan and beats. Yeah, these are good choices to have. You know, you need choices like this for your your character. It gives you some stick to fall back on during all the small moments of a campaign.
Speaker 3: All right, Is that all we've got on Dungeons and Dragons two thousand for now?
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so much more we could say. Every scene with Jeremy Irons is like a masterclass in overacting and hamming it up. There are so many weird choices, digital effects that don't really come together, and yet at the same time some admirable practical effects, some admirable sets, and certainly some really cool interior locations. I would say this is not a movie for everyone. I'm not encouraging everyone to go out and watch this movie in its entirety, but everyone must see the first fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: The Emperor has decreed. All right.
Speaker 1: So that is two thousands Dungeons and Dragons. I hope you enjoyed it. I think it was a solid choice for our two hundred film selection here on Weird House Cinema. So now we just have to chug on and eventually start thinking about the three hundredth film.
Speaker 3: We will not do the movie three hundred.
Speaker 1: We will not do three hundred. It's true, all right, So we're gonna gohea and close this episode out, but we'd love to hear from everyone out there. We know that there are multiple listeners who are Dungeons and Dragons enthusiasts, and you may have additional insight on what's happening and what's not happening in this film. Likewise, if you have thoughts on anything we've referenced in passing different Dungeons and Dragons locations, Dungeons and Dragons novels, what are your favorites? Because I really haven't geez, I don't know that I've ever read one myself. I'm familiar with them, but I never picked one up. So if I were to pick one up, which one would it be? These questions and more write in with your answers. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes in the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed on Thursdays and Tuesdays, and then on Wednesdays we do a short form episode, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on weird House Cinema. If you want to see a list of all the films we've covered over the years, go to letterboxed dot com. You'll find us there. Our user name is weird House and we have a nice list of everything. We've covered all two hundred film selections, and we're going to start looking ahead at the future. Sometimes you can peek ahead and see what's coming up the following week.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.