Speaker 1: When I do live gigs around the country, I'll be honest with you. I sell T shirts and swag to the folks who are there, and then people always say, can we get this wag without sitting through a whole evening of you. Well, it's happened. It's finally here. You can buy Craig Ferguson merch on the Craig Ferguson Merch website and you can buy it for yourself or someone you hate or someone you love. For more information and link to the web store, please go to the Craig Fergusonshow dot com. That's all lowercase, the Craig Ferguson show dot com. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is joy. I talk to interesting people about what brings them happiness. Today. My guest is Scott Akerman, who founded podcasts when he started comedy Bang Bang. He is the funniest cleverest you know what he's really really I'm a bit jealous, and the fact that I can get along with them shows that I'm making progress. I've just decided that I'm going to get plastic surgery. Oh yeah, I'm going to start with my tests.
Speaker 2: Oh good, because I feel like if it gets botched, it's testicles. People say, oh, you know, your testicles look weird. First of all, not that many people see them anymore.
Speaker 3: Exactly, they're ugly anyway, right.
Speaker 1: They're ugly anyway. And also they're weird looking. So if people say, you know, your testicles are weird looking, I go, yeah, they're technicals. Yeah they're They're still weird looking. They're the undersea creature of my pants. Now listen, I'm quite honorous in a way that you're here because you honored to be here.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for saying we have a dual honor system going on.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'm not going to the gate you saying that, although I feel like there may be a centiment fire. I feel like you may be the architect of what we're doing here. You are the You are the im mover, You are the.
Speaker 3: God like the Optimist Prime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. You are. Of the comedy chat podcast. You made it happen. You're the veil of underground Man, You're the ramones you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, am I disagreeing with you.
Speaker 1: I don't think you should. I don't think you should. It was a conscious kind of artistic choice. I just thought we'll just go with us and see where I ams.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I wanted to do a radio show because I just grew up very obsessed with the radio, right, So like DJ's, I used to like tape my own voice doing when I was like thirteen, doing just top forty DJs, and I would tape the songs off the radio and edit them in.
Speaker 1: You know, that's great.
Speaker 3: What that is very nerdy a little bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a little concerned for you, and we're going to get into that. But now we're beginning to see why you have comedy jobs though, because clearly, you know, the start was strange and uncomfortable, and my personal feeling is that you can't be funny at all unless the first fifteen twenty years are deeply uncomfortable in some way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I started comedy in ninety five. Where are we now, twenty twenty five? Almost?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I came in America in nineteen ninety five. I was already thirty. What were you doing before then? Drinking? Pretty much?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, and you stopped when you're in America.
Speaker 1: I stopped before I came to America. Oh really, Yeah, I stopped when I was twenty nine. Really, yeah, it happened, well, a bunch of stuff. I'm not quite clear on the statute of limitations. Well, no, I murder is the only one that still is going. No, I was. I drank. I was. You know, it was sad. It was a sad alcoholic. You've been in your business for a while. Do you understand what sad alcoholism is?
Speaker 3: Sure, I've seen a few of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And some people can make it work and some people can't. I couldn't. I've always found that really interesting. The people who quit when they're you know, like eighteen, in their twenties. Yeah, I'm suppressive. But if you quit that young, I feel like, I mean, good luck. I should have quit that young. But I'm glad I quit when I did because it was long enough to do some damage, but not long enough to fuck up. You call me fucking monologue, that's right. Got me talking about me the table sooner, Man, I don't want to talk about myself. Yeah, well you're going to. So did you ever like fall into the alcoholism trap or just a man?
Speaker 3: I've never done well, okay, that's not right, but I've never really done any drugs. So I did a podcast once right where I went to a Fish concert with my friend Harris Whittles, who's no longer with us, right, big fish fan. It was the premise of the podcast was him trying to get me to like Fish, the band Fish. Right.
Speaker 1: That would be a hard one for me, because yeah, I do not like Fish.
Speaker 3: So I never did. I we did, you know, eight up as, so I never you never go around to it, never never got around to it. But we went to Madison Square Garden to see Fish, and I promised that I would do the whole thing. I would do drug I'd never done any drugs. I would do drugs. I would really do it the way a real Fish fan would.
Speaker 1: What age are you when you do this? God help.
Speaker 3: My forties? So that's that's late to start. Yeah, So I did as much like anything anyone gave me, I would do right. And I never really got high.
Speaker 1: So like you didn't know what I mean? Do you know how dangerous that is? Like if you do that now, you'd be dead.
Speaker 3: The most that happened was at one point I went those lights are pretty. You can hear me on the tape, and I was like, Okay, I might have been high. Right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a bit of a tail. These lights are pretty, they're pretty, these lives pretty. You got a purty mouth. It's one of those tail phrases. Yeah, but I I I don't care for fish. What kind of music you went through that? If you know, I imagine, let me let me get I bet you and I are into a lot of the same. Well, first of all, I think this is for me. This is my fantasy about you? Is that? But oh yeah, and I have many is the that you like Schubert? You know is Schubert.
Speaker 3: He's a little ostentatious for my tasty that's even beare that you said that?
Speaker 1: So what do you do?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: No, if you're mixing songs together in nineteen ninety five, it's what ninety I feel like.
Speaker 3: The nineties was a terrible time for music.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really love like nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty three, like post punk electronics, you know, like, yes, that's my main style of music that I really love.
Speaker 1: But that's what comes up in the little music thing on your phone that you keep that right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But that's the stuff that I love the most. Everything else kind of branches out from that. Like nowadays, for the past few months, I've been trying to like buy every song that's on the R and B charts from nineteen eighty to through two thousands.
Speaker 1: Oh you left me behind there. I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.
Speaker 3: I have like a Billboard subscription, so I just look at the charts like for every week and just try to buy every song that's on there. It was like collecting, Yeah, music collectors, right, do you collect vinyl?
Speaker 1: Do you have vinyl?
Speaker 3: Not really, I never got I mean I started collecting music in vinyl in the eighties in the actual time. Yeah, But now I just you know, I have one record player. It's in the living room. I have to go in there specially just to listen to like, you know, all the old problems of vinyl of like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to sit down and listen to us, sit down, and I know, but musicians love that. They're like, oh yeah, no, you have to sit down and listen to the music and going nah, I'll be running or playing pick a ball. Yeh do you play pick a ball?
Speaker 3: So I broke my foot two years ago playing pick a ball for the first time. My wife was like you got to play pick a ball?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to. I never have that, you've done it.
Speaker 3: So I did it. And I broke my foot first time, first time. And I've had a like fucked up foot for now two years and I just had surgery on it two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Oh and yeah, so was it you to sleep surgery? Yeah? Oh, let's talk about the drugs. So what did they give you?
Speaker 3: So they gave me the propofol. And I've had this weird thing where every doctor who says they're going to give me propofol has the exact same thing that they say about it, which is they say, it's what Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Jackson, that's what you want to say. Yeah, you'll love it. I have a couple of times. The first thing I go to I was like he was shut out. Oh yeah, Moon woke out of the place. It was a maze, But it is I can see how a person get who'd in a drug like that. I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't really remember. I did wake up the first because I had a colonoscopy with propofol as well. Oh yeah, and they when I woke up, I felt I did. I was like, I don't feel different, And then I sent a really weird text to my friend Adam Scott that I thought was normal, and then three hours later I was like, fuck did I just said, Wow?
Speaker 1: See that's you're not good at monitoring when you're high. It's probably best if you stay away from drugs because if you like, these lights are pretty yeah, I know knowing you're high. I know that you're you're high.
Speaker 3: What's the best drug?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: My friend was trying to to it because I was like, what's the best drug to take? And he was like, maybe liquid heroin that you just like swallow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say some kind of uh oaxy conton. That's why people die of all the time, because the feeling is so euphoric and lovely, very dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't do drugs now. I got for the foot, I got like a full bottle of hair cassette. It's either oxy or I don't know exactly what it was, so I'm just afraid to take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're tricky. I mean, like, I know a lot of alcoholics would be sober for a long time that screw themselves up on that stuff. I mean, and uh and I'm I mean I didn't but I'm very wary of it because I reached the Gorvidal called the cedar side I years where I kind of like, you know, I'm the doctor a little more than I used to be.
Speaker 3: Are you monitoring constantly, like where the doctor is, wherever you're at, because I know you travel a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't do that so much, but I'm constantly monitoring, Like you're younger.
Speaker 3: You have like ten years younger than wait, something like that. Yeah, fifty three, okay, so.
Speaker 1: I'm sixty two on a Friday, so yeah, nineties, right, and I think probably I was in my early fifties when I started to develop reasonably intense hypochondria. But it's not really hypochondria, you know, if you're just monitoring things. I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm at that age now where I'm sort of like constantly anytime anyone, like a celebrity dies, yeah, yeah, I'm kind of like looking at their age, going like I'm really close to there, I know, And like any I've noticed anyone under fifty people are like, this is a tragedy so young. Anyone over fifty they're like that's about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like if I died, know, like right now, people were like well, yeah's I mean, I can see now it's sixty you know, he was, you know, and so they feel because you look for ways to feel comfortable. You know. When when I think that's why people get look, I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that's why people get into religion so much.
Speaker 3: I know, I know a lot of people are really super into religion. Like the closer they are to death, closer you get, you're like, well, you know, you need like some sort of meaning for it.
Speaker 1: I can't do. I've tried, my heart, it's so hard to.
Speaker 3: How did you then stop? Did you have to come up with a higher power?
Speaker 1: Did you do the proper game? Absolutely? And I I do have a have a kind of God centric belief system, I think, but it doesn't involve life after death. Oh really?
Speaker 3: Now, so do you think that it's just like we shut off in that.
Speaker 1: I feel like it might be like propofol do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You just like, except you never wake actually wake up.
Speaker 1: Well, they used to be on pagan tombstones for Christianity in the Resurrection and all that. The the they used to put on tombstones. I was not, I was, I am not. I care not that was the r I P. I was not a little worthy for well, I think probably in Greek it's probably a lot. It's like Craco creeky croco or something is.
Speaker 3: Just like three letters.
Speaker 1: Get it.
Speaker 3: Don't have to pay a lot.
Speaker 1: But my wife is a Yankee, right, so she's from like from the Northeast.
Speaker 3: She was, you're married to Derek Jeters.
Speaker 1: My wife is Derek Jeter, which, like you can't make fun of that.
Speaker 3: I mean it's for you, right, But I'm just surprised I could come up with a Yankee name. If it is one, I'm like, I took a stab. Yeah, hope for the best.
Speaker 1: No, my wife is like, we're in Scotland and we went to my parents' graves, right, so we're in this graveyard and it's a graveyard and school Now graveyards in Maine or in New Hampshire or for a month, it's like the person's name, a date, a hyphen a date, right, But in Scotland, particularly in recent dates, it's the person's name and says Margaret beloved husband of Sandy guinea pegg owner. And always like to take it like there's a whole bioll bio and I'm like maybe sometimes a video, a video on the actual tombstone, on the tombstone of like hello, it's me, I'm dead, you know. I mean I don't think it's that, but it's.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, how long how long before that's obsolete? I know, you know what I mean. I mean I feel like within ten years the videos will stop working on these tombstones.
Speaker 1: Well, and also I mean it shows a profound lack of misunderstanding about time, right, like you know, as people say, oh no, you're like the Catholic Church had a problem with cremation for a long time. In what way. Well, they said, you can't cremate the body because it has to be able to come back for the day of resurrection. You're going to need your body back.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, so when Christ would come down with the rapture.
Speaker 1: Well you know it comes back with the yeah, all the things.
Speaker 3: The trumpets and all that stuff. Right, so then your body and no matter what state it's in, you get a decompositioning ding ding doing diding do yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: Speaking of it, And that I think was a problem there, and it took them a long time. They had to have a big meeting about it and say.
Speaker 3: One big meeting.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about doing everybody step into the pop's office. We're having a big meeting about the afterlife because Chico Marx was there, obviously. The Craig Ferguson Fancy Rascals Stand Up Tour continues throughout the United States in twenty twenty four. For a full list of dates and tickets, go to the Craig Ferguson show dot com slash tour see you out there. Let's talk about comedy influences on you. Was it the Marx Brothers. I feel you're in an absurd list in a way.
Speaker 3: It was not the Marx Brothers.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 3: It was when I was growing up. It was like Bob Hope really yeah, I'm surprised by Bob Hope was really big for me. The Road Movies, I love them. Yeah, so great. They got very meta and surreal in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Steve Martin huge. Like I was trying to explain to someone who never really had ever seen Steve Martin stand up or The Jerk or any of his early movies, just like, how insane it was that someone was doing anti comedy. Yeah, you know, in the early seventies.
Speaker 1: He was he was. It was very unusual, he to me, because run of it at the same time the pythons were working in the in the UK, and that that was he seemed to be like an American relative of the Goons and the pythons, right, and that that weird kind of almost born of the surrealist movement. Comedy that that that it went, Yeah, anti comedy, I guess is what it is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, were the pythons for you?
Speaker 1: Is that? Yes? Very very definitely. Yeah. I Uh. One of the crining achievements in my life, quite literally actually, is that Eric Idle made me a crown. Really, yeah, he made me a crown with a little bit would he do that? Eric marches to the beat of his own drum, and he was coming on the show and he said, I've made you a crown and I was like, oh, okay, And there's a crown and it's got a little Roulette wheel on it and interesting, I still have it in my hands, so nice that I walk around wearing it, so I don't wear it actually doesn't.
Speaker 3: How many of the pythons have you interacted with?
Speaker 1: I've met Michael Palin and Eric I know quite well, and I think i've met. No, I never met Please, I talked to him in the phone once. How about you?
Speaker 3: You you told zero? Yeah, never met any of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They were big for me too when I was like thirteen. I was dating someone when I was thirteen who was like, you've never seen a monty python thing, You're right, and showed me and so that was like, imagine a huge thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine for you. It feels like that informs like between two ferns and all that kind of stuff feels like it. Yeah, it's not the same, but it has like.
Speaker 3: There's now that drops during the between two ferns.
Speaker 1: The giant food that comes down on Zach and all that's all that stuff, but but it's other than that. It's not it's not the same at all. The naked guy playing the piano.
Speaker 3: They oh, obviously the Spanish Inquisition, no one expected that. Yeah, all of that stuff is in there.
Speaker 1: But I feel like that stuff it didn't feel forced to me. It was felt fairy, kind of strange. But if I go back and look at old pythons now, mean I do from time to time. I'm kind of shocked at how how there's quite a long time for me between inspiration and then other inspiration, I'm like, well, I don't remember this.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's interesting to watch anything that you grew up with. Yeah, where you're kind of like, oh wow, some of it was writing on just like brilliance. Yeah, in between boring a little bit, I mean, you know, but sometimes.
Speaker 1: But I think I think that's the there was a time though, I mean, Joint Cleaves is always banging on of It's like there's too many executives and gatekeepers for comedy now, and it makes it much more difficult experiment and stuff. I think in the in the in the areas that he's talking about.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think it probably if you're only interested in TV or movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it's terrible. Yeah, you can't really do it anymore. But didn't you know you did the the the Al Yankubic movie though, don't you.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I was in it, but right, you were in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Al was the band leader of my TV show for a year for a season.
Speaker 1: Right. See. I think Al is related to all that. Well.
Speaker 3: I love Alan Eric, I love very good friends. Yeah right, yeah, I feel like Al though the same kind of thing. Happened where he made UHF, and then you know he didn't make a movie for than twenty some odd years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so it comes around. I think it's a little bit like music. Particularly if comedy is experimental or a little weird, a little stage, it goes out fashion. Yeah, and then you have to wait for it to come back around.
Speaker 3: Comedy is very very not in fashion in movies and TV right now. It's just it's just very very difficult to get something made. So that's why podcasts you see.
Speaker 1: Oppenheimer, that's pretty funny. It was pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Got playing the bongos all the time. Hey, mister bongos, enough for making a nuclear bomb here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Albert Einstein was there. That was great. That guy, what's his governor go? What's the governor go? East to me? Alberto.
Speaker 3: I do think it's funny that they made Robert Downey Junior wear that bald cap and he got an Oscar for it. For wearing a bald cap.
Speaker 1: That's how you get him. That's how you get an oscar. He's a pretty good bald cap. But yeah, like he should share it with the bald cap. Maybe he maybe he shaved it because that he's appropriate. I think maybe I do it.
Speaker 3: I can't see him shaving his head.
Speaker 1: He's pretty would do it, well, I shaved my I'd do right now for like forty bucks.
Speaker 3: Forty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you go forty bucks, I'll shave my head. What would you do?
Speaker 3: Do you act much anymore?
Speaker 1: Not anymore? I get very impatient with it, do you now?
Speaker 3: I'm not really like one thing a year?
Speaker 1: Maybe, yeah, I don't get asked that much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, neither way. I'm off only of course, yo fuck yeah, which means I never work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, yeah, because you know, auditions for me, I imagine I hated that.
Speaker 3: She hated I. I was auditioning in the time in La where you had to have the Thomas Guide map, yes, and you had to basically do three or four a day. And they were all over the city, growing to Santa Monica eleven and then back to the valley, and it was casting directors.
Speaker 1: Lived in little bungalows in the middle of nowhere and yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And at a certain point, I think in like nineteen ninety nine or so, I was like, this is wasting all of my time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole day. Yeah, you're starting the car trying to get a job you don't really want anyway, but yeah, but your agent wants you to get Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I just told my agent I'm not going to audition anymore and so.
Speaker 1: And so you're not long you were still with that agent, but no, but.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, So I just found it like more productive to like write scripts and do stuff, you know, without well, I.
Speaker 1: Kind of go in the same thing because I was doing the Drew Carey Show because I one of those things clicked for me. I was running but nineteen ninety six, and then I found myself like, oh I did like once a week is going to go Getta You'll filed. And then that was that's all I fucking did. You got fired every week. Yeah you awful and getty you'll fired, and everyone's terrible. Good day. And then I had nothing to do, so I just would write in my trailer.
Speaker 3: Otherwise you go, but writing a trailer it's very hard for me, really, Yeah, trailer is my time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get I think it's cause it was it was a job that went on forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can only you know. I mean eventually, when you're when you're on a show like that, you don't have like a dressing room.
Speaker 1: You haven't well, you get a trailer, but it's you know, it's outside the thing, and it's it's okay. It was all right, right, I'm not complaining about it, but it was it got a little boring, I think. No, with the invention of Instagram, I wonder how many scripts have not been written.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, it's so easy. You're basically writing on this thing that is the portal. Too fun for your brain, right, you know what I mean? And you and so like I'm constantly writing on a computer and being like, yeah, but if I click on this on the computer, I can have way more fun, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's it's actually I think maybe it's my age, but I feel like social media may be one of the worst things that's happened to human society in a while.
Speaker 3: I think so, yeah, I think that you know, so, so much of what has happened in the world over the past eight years, yeah, has really been because of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the I've correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: You're clever, Right, you are wrong, That's how clever you are.
Speaker 1: But I feel like for democracy to be functional, there has to be a reasonably honest press.
Speaker 3: Right, there isn't, so it doesn't work right, I mean, does not have to be completely It's best to be reasonably honest.
Speaker 1: I mean there was always William Hurst or all these motherfuckers, but it was nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The problem is is that there used to be at least facts that we all sort of agreed on, right, and you would kind of go like, well, how do I feel about it? Maybe I liked it, maybe I didn't like it, but at least like we know what the facts are because you'd read it in the paper everything and every paper kind of said the same thing, you know, right, And now you know no one reads any papers, you know, they all just kind of maybe hear about something, you know, from social media or something.
Speaker 1: You know, stuff becomes like real when it's not real. Like do you remember the mine apocalypse? Remember that? I was? I was concerned. We live through that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve?
Speaker 3: Oh my, how'd you fare in it?
Speaker 1: Well? You know, it was it was a tough time.
Speaker 3: It was so long ago.
Speaker 1: I remember the min apocalypse? Why two K?
Speaker 3: Why two K?
Speaker 1: Why too K? You imagine white two K? Now with social media like it might actually have happened. Why two K?
Speaker 3: I was always like because I was in California at the time. I was like, it will happen in Australia hours and hours before we'll know it's coming. Yeah, right, like so by the time, but everyone was still like, you know, trying to see what was going to happen. But all we had were computers back then too. I did my phone, and computers.
Speaker 1: Were powered by rabbits and yeah, smaller rodents on little wheels and the you had to use a I mean it was it was different. I remember Conan used to do that thing in the year to I love about Conan is that after the Year that genius wonderful?
Speaker 3: Did you so you got your show after Conan had already been going for fifteen years or ten for a long time. Yeah? Was he like an influence on you or Yeah?
Speaker 1: I loved Conan and I I was on a show quite a bit before I go late and once once I was up against.
Speaker 3: Him, the where could go again?
Speaker 1: Well I did eventually when he moved on to the other one or the the Conan Show. Yeah, but it kind of amite it a little.
Speaker 3: Weird because now we're seeing networks.
Speaker 1: Well, the networks then were very strict about were they really Yeah, it was a different like remember when Dave and j were meant to be enemies and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And our senior was going to kick Jay's ass.
Speaker 1: And all that. It's funny because I do gigs sometimes with our Senio and Jay really together. Yeah, Senior Senior Holiday Leanta. I've been friends for like four years, right, So I was like, well, wait, weren't you guys fighting each other? And I'm like, oh God, that's so stupid.
Speaker 3: I've always thought that because I did a fake talk show. Yes, I I wondered if it would be fun to do a real talk show because I was always sort of like, in my mind, I was kind of like, Okay, I'll do the fake talk show and then you know, I was trying to springboard into something bigger in my mind, and then all of TV just kind of shut down, and you know. But then I've heard from friends that I wouldn't have enjoyed it. But I wonder if I would have enjoyed it. If I had done it like you where it was just like a free flowing conversation.
Speaker 1: I think you would have been fine with it. I think you would enjoy it. I think that because what.
Speaker 3: I've heard most about it is that people find it very boring talking to people that they don't care about, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that is a thing, But that only happens if you have to talk to them about what they want to talk But if you go into the Like why I came to reasonably quickly is I thought, it doesn't matter what once they get out there, what are they going to do not talk to me? So I would say, like, right, you have to talk about the movie right away. So they come out and I would say, where'd you meet your wife? You know? And they're not going to say, I'm not telling you. It's not a horrible question, it's a reasonable quest. Would there be stars who, like politicians, would try to pivot like yeah, politicians to protect I had like three or four on in ten years, and then I was like, okay, that's I'm not having it because these guys are so trained.
Speaker 3: Professional pivoters to just get back to whatever they want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Right, So you say, you know, where'd you meet your wife? And then go where I met my wife? Reminds me of the time that, you know, And then we're having a lot of problems with that in this country, right exactly, Like I don't want to hear your ship.
Speaker 3: So you would not do any kind of pre interviews or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Well, they were done, they were done, they were done.
Speaker 3: They weren't look at them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't look at them. I did it well in the same way that when you were doing the fake talk show, constructing the interview the way you wanted it to be. I was just doing the same thing. That's why when I would watch like Between Two Firms or like that, I would go, well, that's kind of what I want to achieve here too, which is that? And you know that kind of discomfort, that kind of fun, that kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all. And I I feel like late night talk shows are so produced and so overproduced now basically you know that where you know that you'll have four pre interviews sometimes before you guessed on one, and they'll really be trying. Yeah, they'll really be trying to focus in on like the exact thing you're going to talk about.
Speaker 1: That sounds awful.
Speaker 3: And that's why like my show in Between Two Ferns were so fun is because we would never tell the people what was going to go, what was going to happen and it would all just be in the moment. And I love that feeling of, like you know, someone in the moment being surprised by something.
Speaker 1: It's more fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so much more fun.
Speaker 1: More fun, And as long as you're not some evil kind of killer that's trying to hide something and you're barely keeping it, and that's not a problem, you know, I think, although, of course, as we all know, Hollywood is packed full of evil killers that's keeping it do. What I love is when they say, you know, the Hollywood community get together and do that, and I'm like, what the fuck are you talking about.
Speaker 3: The community here? I wasn't advised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that a thing? When they would say it, I had to someone say the Hollywood cocktails are kid, I'm like, you're fucking mad. There's more people in a meetings and there are drinking cocktails in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: I mean, there is a certain like if I remember, I had a publicist for a little bit, right, and they really encourage you to go to these just like things, you know what I mean, And they don't make a single lick of difference if you go to it or if you don't go to.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't think it does. I think that what happens. It's a little bit like the executivization of things. Now that you know you and I both as we've been on pitches together. Pitch it's like, you like, why are all these people here? I feel like there were like eighteen people on a pitch that we just did recently, right, I don't like what the fuck is? Look, if we got an audience that big, I'll be happy. Yeah, you'll be fucking lucky.
Speaker 3: My favorite pitch that we did was for the Michael Bolton special that we might have been Tricky, which was literally we we did a mock up poster of Michaelton shirtless on a bed and we took it to Netflix and said, it's just this.
Speaker 1: They put it and they were like, okay, yeah, you know what. I feel like I would have too. It's someone inspired. How did you did you have to say it to Michael Bolton?
Speaker 3: No, he wanted to do it. It was it was it was more of like he he approached Akiva. Do you know Akiva Schaffer of the Lonely Island. I know who you're talking about. He's great. So they approached Kiva to see if if he wanted to do some sort of special and Akiva said, like, well, if I were doing it, I would do like a parody of specials, and I would call it like Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine's Day. And I think I would want to do it with Scott because he would understand that. He would understand it, and he does that kind of stuff on his show. So like he goes, I don't really know how to do it, So I think if we did it together, it would be fun, and they went, yeah, that sounds great to us, and so.
Speaker 1: We just kind of it was this is great.
Speaker 3: Ye, it was so fun because we had no parameters of anything to do, and.
Speaker 1: Michael Bowle looked great. You know. It's why I think they're trying to do with these roast things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Why would you ever do it? I can't connect to it at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like, like, why would if you're Tom Brady, right, why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I asked someone that exact same question the other day and they said, money. I think Tom Brady must he has money, right, Yeah, he's got so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't be that.
Speaker 3: It must be like it's quest for fame.
Speaker 1: He's pretty pretty famous, pretty famous?
Speaker 3: Quest for more fame I actually need. I really don't know. It's it's baffles me.
Speaker 1: It might be a manifestation of greed.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, one of the seven Deadly sins.
Speaker 1: Exactly so, because I feel like, you know, if you look at just like straight up greed, like you know people who have billions like Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg or you know the like the big name money players, I'm like, what the fuck are you doing with all that? How could you even?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What does it matter at that point? Why could you possibly want? You can? In twenty lifetimes? You couldn't get through it?
Speaker 3: Do you find that you were like, where are you in terms of like what you want to achieve in life? Have you done it? Have you done everything?
Speaker 1: Or do you still?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think that.
Speaker 3: You don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's I don't think that's healthy, have you? So?
Speaker 3: So there are still mountains that you'd like to climb.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily in career terms, you know, like, oh if only I could get you know that? Yeah? I don't. I don't think I have that anymore. But I think I think that's I'm very grateful to Late Night and I wonder because you've been very successful in this in Hollywood as well, in a kind of sideways way that you probably didn't expect, which is exactly what happened to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I never expect to have a TV show. At a certain point I gave up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never expected to have. Really I wanted like success was one thing, like you would be in a movie and with Sandra Bullock or something, and that was that was how you would be successful. And so I had this kind of slightways thing. But what it did, and I wondered if it did this to you, is it demystified the entire thing you managed to douschbag ratio amongst the mega successful. It's exactly the same as in the average Danny's I.
Speaker 3: Think I I sort of once I got my TV show and then I won a couple of Emmy's, I would something in terms of career was like, oh I don't need it switched off for me, where I was like, oh okay, I kind of I did want to direct a movie, so I directed the Between two Ferns movies.
Speaker 1: So I still did you like doing that?
Speaker 3: Uh, for the most part, it was fun. Did it come out the way I wanted it to? Not really exactly what.
Speaker 1: Happened me really, I directed one movie.
Speaker 3: Which movie?
Speaker 1: It was a movie called I'll Be There. Directed it in two thousands. I wrote the script I'm in the movie. I you know, I directed the movie, and I don't like it.
Speaker 3: You don't like it? Yeah, it's hard. It's it's very hard. There's this like just kind of magic thing that you're it's like a magic trick you're trying to achieve, and then it's so easy to fuck it up. And people people like my movie and stuff like that, and I.
Speaker 1: I I got the same thing as well, won some of the awards here and there.
Speaker 3: But it was like, I'm kind of embarrassed by it in a northerway because I'm like, that's no, it's I'm not. I guess I'm not embarrassed by mine as much as I'm just like, because it's good, all right, Well, but but I but I do look at it and go like, fuck, if only I had known this, Like so many of my projects are like if only I had known this in retrospect, in hindsight, now I know a different choic I would have made, like the only thing that I really have put out that I've been proud of just totally was I think my TV show where I was like made all the right choices. I feel like I did.
Speaker 1: That's great. I did the best I could. Yeah, I did well. You know, I kind of feel the same way about mine too. But the Late Night so yeah, it was like, by and large, I think that was that hits. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's tough, but but yeah, at a certain point in my forties, I was kind of like, oh, you know what, I sort of don't have that clawing need of you know, filling the hole in my soul with career. You know, you know whatever hole that was. You go, Phill doubla, Come, I want money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of Emmys in a better cash and you know, and you feel a little better. Let anyone tell you differently, you know, it's like, oh, awards mean nothing, they do, but there's still not if you've.
Speaker 3: Never won any like award, you're kind of like going, it would be nice to get up there on stage and actually like hold the thing. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And then when you get up there and hold the thing's fucking great.
Speaker 3: And I did a funny speech and so I was like, you.
Speaker 1: Weren't excited, and people liked it and were happy for you. Yeah, I know, it's great. Yeah, I loved it. Yeah, I mean would I do it again? Yes? Yes I would.
Speaker 3: Do they give awords for something like this? Can we win together?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Maybe probably?
Speaker 3: Can we hold hands as we go up on?
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. I got one. This is a great one. I got one from Scottish BAFTA, which is the British British Academy Film and Television Arts.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I knew the bee right, So they have a Scottish one of it, and I'm bouta. I think it's Safta bafts of the Sabbafta or something. But it's the kind of divisional thing. It's in Scotland and.
Speaker 3: It's like the daytime Emmys kind of When I went for a game show, I called my mom. I said, I want an Emmy form my games woman. She went, ah, Daytammy, Thanks thanks mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you is your mom still around?
Speaker 3: My mom is, yes. My father passed away six months ago.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I'm sorry. That's still very sore.
Speaker 3: No, it was all right, it was it was yeah, it was okay. It was obviously a sad time, but it was like kind of expected. He's been hanging on since nineteen eighty one. I feel like, so, what was if he had a strange operation to take care of something in his throat? Pardon me if I'm not using the correct medical terminology, but I think throats is correct, right, it is correct, and procedure procedure doctors something that I've heard. But it was supposed to be just a like minor thing. And my mom came to the hospital and they said, well, we think he's going to survive. What And she was like what, and like something with his throat had gone wrong, and so they used part of his in to be his throat. They like took part of his coalon to make.
Speaker 1: I don't they need permission to do that? Well, who knows?
Speaker 3: It's nineteen eighty one. Differently, yeah, I'm not sure who they would. I think they called his teachers at school. Yeah, but no, yeah, so they they had just to save his life. They had done this, and so he pulled through. It was like a weird summer. I think it was eighty two actually, but ever since then, he just had issues with his throat. He had to sleep like sort of sitting up at forty five degree angle, and he had trouble gaining weight because food wouldn't get down there. Agu when this happens, I'm twelve. Yeah, so you're destined for a career in comedy because the trauma now is like, right, it's real it. I mean, it never really felt incredibly. I mean I was shuveled around to parental friends that whole summer, sure, but they never really told me how serious it was, right, So I think I was just kind of in my like, yeah, everything's great, everything will be fine, you know. And it turned out it was relatively fine. But it was one of these things for forty years. It was like an issue.
Speaker 1: That's it's a long time to be dealing with whatever, the mysterious thing.
Speaker 3: This is right, But my mom? Why did you ask about my mom?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was she because?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because of your your mom. Yeah, my mom had the classic line when I was I did musical theater when I was in my early twenties and I did Curly in Oklahoma, and she came to see it, and she'd been to all my shows and she said you were really good. I mean, for the first time I felt like you actually met what you were saying.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, yeah, comedies for you. You know, it is the I mean, I've said this a million times in this podcast, but it's like there is a there is a resonance with humorists, whether they're male or female, with their mothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean my mother was very sort of sure, there's nothing to do with a lack of love or support, but also backhanded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's a there's a weird I mean, I love my mom and she was supportive in the way that she understood. But she still with us. No, No, she died years ago. She but she did not understand show business at all. And I did my father. Did your family understand that we grew up.
Speaker 3: You know, just forty five minutes south of LA So I think that they, I mean they sort of. It just seemed very far away, even though it was only forty five minutes away Hollywood. But my dad, I think was very interested in it because he would sometimes like take me to lunch and pitch me like an idea for a show or a movie. I remember once he business his profession. He was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, and then he flew privately for a little while, and then he went into the aerospace industry where he would make like the overhead compartments for planes and stuff like that. So he but he I feel like he was sort of a frustrated artist in a way, because he would like sometimes I would find he he had written like newspaper columns, like humorous newspaper columns, like like where he was trying to like, you know, work out something, some sort of you know, in the at his church, he would be in plays and he would sing and oh, clearly, you know, I feel like, yeah, I feel like there was an impulse, and so I feel like he was. I don't know that he ever was appreciative of any of the stuff I made necessarily, but like I think I worked on the movie Shark Tale for a couple of years kind of thinking like, you know, I've done all this adult humor. Here's something my parents can appreciate. I took him to the premiere and after the lights came up, my dad was like, well, that wasn't very good, was it.
Speaker 1: It was like, really, okay, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Is my Sharktail must be almost twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah too, Yeah, because I remember taking my oldest boy to see shark Tail when it come out, and he.
Speaker 3: Loved it so in the community thank him.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Loved Sharktail too, as I remember it was that was that Will Smith? Will smithree pre slap Will Smith? Yeah, yeah, o slap. He hasn't done a lot.
Speaker 1: Of It's hard to be the funny guy once you hit someone. I know. I always try to remember that when I'm frustrated.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been close to being physically assaulted on stage?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I have been, really really What happened when I was drinking. I played a town called Dunfermline the Scotland.
Speaker 3: And and this is stand up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did some stand up that apparently didn't go down well with the locals.
Speaker 3: How did they?
Speaker 1: They came up and got me as I was trying to get out in a taxi. They threw a rock in at the back of the taxi, broke the window and I had to pay for the taxi drivers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a very expensive evening for me. No, but I survived. Have you ever been assaulted on today?
Speaker 3: It was spit on once.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that I counted. I mean, I mean then yeah a lot, Yeah, just spit on.
Speaker 3: There was one guy stand up.
Speaker 1: You didn't stand up at this point that.
Speaker 3: Was like sketch stuff. Someone got it very offended at the subject matter. I think, and and like I asked what it was. I can't really remember. It was something. I mean, this is like doing stuff at the UCB Theater where like everything is kind of.
Speaker 1: Is that the one in Hollywood? Yeah, I love that little space. That's such a good theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I Benchwartz wrote me to start going to do.
Speaker 3: His show first snow snow Pants. Yeah and yeah Ben Swartz. Okay, so he asks me to do snow pants and he goes, I know you don't really do improv, but I'm going to take care of you.
Speaker 1: You know, he's not going to do that.
Speaker 3: So I do with jj Abrams and I get out there and no one else is like stepping forward to establish a scene with Ben. So I know someone asked you. So I walk out there and I go, so, hey, uh, and I said, I forget what I said, and Ben goes, that's what you're going to start the scene. I'm like, you're not doing it. And then j J abrams destroys and does like various scenes in different characters. He does a singing improv bitch stop it. It was that's crazy. It really made me feel bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was doing I did a couple of times with him. It felt like I loved it though, and I felt like I was with the cool kids for a while. Yeah, I was at UCB. I you're probably UCP, right, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: I produced a show there for about ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was always very jealous of that because I I felt like that that's the cool people. It was fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, we obviously would have had you come do it if you know, we had no how to reach you who you were. No, we had people like Robin Williams hung out there for a long time and would come do shows with Robins.
Speaker 1: Robin.
Speaker 3: I became friendly with Robin after he was in the Late Night Show and he I mean, obviously he knows this, but he loved to just get up anytime. He was very supportive. He would sometimes watch shows that we were doing and I would say, like, do you want to come out and do it? He goes, No, one wants to see me you guys are doing fine by by yourself. You know, he would just want to watch.
Speaker 1: You know, he was lovely. Did you become friendly and anyways you spend any time with him?
Speaker 3: Friendly in a way of like I did a few shows with him. He would know who I was when you saw me, but you know, not not ever like hanging out other than backstage, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose that was the extent of my hanging out with him as well, with backstage of theaters.
Speaker 3: But he uh, yeah, that was a tough one. Yeah, when Robin went so nice, Yeah, he was really nice. He was a guy like another info on you know. Yes, I told him about the day he did work from work on Happy Days and I was a huge, huge Happy Days fan. And I'm probably nine or ten or something like that. And I remember being on Errand's with my mother the next day and she hadn't seen it, and telling her the entire plot, with every joke of him on Happy Days. And we were going through like a checkout line and the checkout person goes like, sounds like someone's a Happy Days last night, and it made me feel kind of bad. Anyway, I told him that story. I told him that story on Sage. There's a funny picture of him, like with his hand on my knee saying like, oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Know, it's funny because he was one of the non demystifiers for me. The other one was at Carrie Fisher. That someone that you admire so much and then you meet them and they don't disappoint you. That I think is one of.
Speaker 3: The the dangers of being in show business, particularly if you're doing what you and I have done in kind of slightly different ways, which she's interacting with a lot of people that you've probably been aware of for a long time. Yeah, every once in a while, there will be someone that you work with that you've really grown up loving and it'll be kind of a bummer, you know what. No, of course not, but that Ferguson. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know what's weird now is I get people say to me, I grew up watching you and I'm like and they're like forty, I'm like, what the hell are you talking about? Yeah, it's like, oh my god, but I uh, I don't know. There was there was on Late Night. I would never allow the bookers to even approach David boy just really case, just in case, because what he said, yes, just in case, he said by all accounts apparently he was great, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: You hear so many stories of him, uh, like I just heard. I feel like Dave Wakeling of the English Bead just told the story last week of I haven't had no while I just saw him performing. He was like, yeah, I met David Bowie at whatever after doing a show, and he ran up to me and said, I want you to be my opening actor, the greatest opening act I've ever seen, or something.
Speaker 1: Like that, And it's kind of like sideways compliments.
Speaker 3: You're not one of headliner head I think he was over time man. But yeah, by all accounts great, But yeah, it's I've been disappointed a couple of times with people and it's like and it's it's hard not to watch them. They're old.
Speaker 1: I try.
Speaker 3: I'm good at compartmentalizing though, so I can still find stuff. People ask me like, why do you still can you still listen to Michael Jackson records? And it's like so much of art is a conversation I feel like, between not only the artist but also your your younger self when you first heard.
Speaker 1: It or watched it or something like that. Yeah. I mean it's a great topic and one that fascinates me is the art and the artist. So the idea of you know, like, uh, the Castle would probably be in jail for this relationship with Maritz, but you know it was what do you do with that? It's everyone's gone and.
Speaker 3: At this point, yeah, everyone's gone, Like Michael Jackson has gone. So I don't feel like me listening to his music is supporting him, yeah, financially or anything like that. Even like so R Kelly, he's in jail.
Speaker 1: He's in jail, so he's not making money.
Speaker 3: He's not making money.
Speaker 1: R Kelly fan I wasn't really aware of much.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's can you listen to me? You know anyone like that who was a monster?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Is it still okay? And I think Nick Cave had pulp.
Speaker 1: Fiction Harvey Weinstein, you know what, I'm like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Nick Cave had an interesting thing to say about this, which because I think he was talking about Morrissey and how like right wing Morrissey is now and.
Speaker 1: He's gone to Phil Church show, He's made the Phil journey.
Speaker 3: And so and I think he was saying, like so much of music is just like thinking about how you felt when you first heard it and thinking about your younger self and stuff like that. So he was saying like, it's not.
Speaker 1: And also where the artist was at that time too. I mean, look, you've been doing this for long enough to surely have written something that you look at it now and go, oh fuck. I would not write that.
Speaker 3: When Mister Show went on HBO, Max, I got a lot of people going like, oh my god, I'd never seen Mister Show when I was catching up with it, and I'm always like.
Speaker 1: Nineties I Show I miss the show was was just coming on. I had moved to America in ninety five and Mister Show coming on and Bob and David. I felt like, I'll never be cool enough to even meet those guys.
Speaker 3: They did you ever actually then meet? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that I met both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It's fine. I don't know how cool I am. I'm cool enough.
Speaker 3: They're not very cool.
Speaker 1: It's funny that I remember one of the last Bob Bob Bob oden Kirk. His son went to the same school as one of my boys went and he's a little bit older. So yes, And I was at the parking lot the first day of when my son started going to the school, and they were at the school bus and I got out with my son and got him onto the bus, and Bob was still in this car because he'd been doing it for a year, and I was walking back to McCarty wound down the window. He said, nobody gets out of the car. Craig characteristically aggressive for he was. There was humor in it, but like he's not really one of those aggressive so I kind of I'm so. I think it's an age thing maybe as well. Do you you find now that you think nobody fucking knows what is that old Bill Goldman thing. Nobody knows what's going on. Nobody knows what was going to be funny or what was going to be successful.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, I mean those those guys, Bob and David were definitely like huge. They're one of the reasons I started just doing comedy anyway, is because I saw one of their shows. Yeah, at the same time that like three things happen, I saw their show, I watched an Andy Kaufman special, and then my friend that week said, hey, I hate your latest script, but my my roommate's a comedian and I've always thought maybe you could do comedy. Do you want to do the comedy Store in the show that she's in. I was like, yeah, okay, like those three like yeah, those three things happening in the same week.
Speaker 1: Were it's a sign of a prime mover in your life. Do you have a Do you have a religious and you told me your dad going to church. I wondered if the Yeah, I grew up in the church. Which church, like Baptist Church? Okay, fairly joyful setup. Is it more than Scottish Presbyterians? Yeah, oh yeah, we're you.
Speaker 3: I mean, like the rituals and no, there's not that much was there, like liturgy of the Eucharist.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, they they I mean there's the biscuit, but it doesn't tourn into Jesus. It just represents Jesus. That'd be the same with Baptists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have the tiny, tiny like little way for like.
Speaker 1: Tiny little way. Well nobody nobody's getting a burger.
Speaker 3: See, maybe I would go to church if it was like, hey, everyone gets a burger when you're here.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure there are some. Do you do you have a religious connection that is it something that you.
Speaker 3: It was one of those things where I grew up and it was just accepted as like, this is true, right, And I always had this voice in the back of my head going like, yeah, but these are really weird stories that yeah, you know, like the whole okay, So God is perfect, so and humans chose to sin. So in order to make it cool for humans to go up to heaven after they die, God split himself into two and made himself also his son and then sent his son down and his son could have sinned, but he never did, and then they killed him and then he came back down for a spell, Like how well.
Speaker 1: When you say it like that, so silly, But it just always was.
Speaker 3: Kind of like I don't under that none of this is really making sense to me.
Speaker 1: Did you ever read Julian by Gorvi Dal? I highly recommend it.
Speaker 3: It's about Julian Lennon.
Speaker 1: Julian Lennon's about Julian Lennon, which is weird because I'm like, he was just a kid. But he wrote this, Gordon, let's do.
Speaker 3: The Jonlin, You're a good enough writer.
Speaker 1: He wrote it in nineteen sixty four, when Julie Lennon was maybe two years old. I mean I hadn't done a lot. Yeah, it's about Julian Augustus, Julian the Apostate, who after he was the Emperor Constantine's grandson. So there was Constantine and constant Titus and then Julian the Emperor, and he was the last Augustus of the whole before they split it, you know, one in the east, one in the west. And he tried to return the Roman Empire back to Hellenistic Hellenistic you know, pagan religions, Zeus and Apollo and all that stuff. And he was doing all that.
Speaker 3: His feeling was that had everything since everything was Christian, everything was because he was trying to go he was trying to get about enough about this christ guy. I remember all these great.
Speaker 1: What about the ones we used to have, you know, like Apollo, Zeus, all those guys, And he tried to bring that back, but also allowed Christianity because Rome, contrary to what you hear now, was like they had no problem with what religion you were. It's it was about if you paid tax, and it was the real problem, you know. But the way that Gorvi Dao writes it is a real I mean, it's scathing about Christianity, scathing about the birth of Christianity, not the birth of it, but the incorporation of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have a I really don't have an issue with anything that makes a person feel peace or comfort.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: I get nothing against that, even stuff like scientology. I maybe have quibbles with some of their methods, but I can bibble with a lot of it any But in terms of a belief system, if anything makes someone feel better, I think I'm fine with it. What I just really don't like about everything is the trying to make everyone else exactly the same what they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you got to believe in what I believe, yes, or you are an impost and are the enemy. Yes.
Speaker 3: So America, as far as I'm concerned, is like supposed to be everyone believe whatever you want and we'll all get a right.
Speaker 1: That's the idea.
Speaker 3: That's the idea. And where you know, even if you have a neighbor who's like sort of cuckoo, You're like, hey, we still care for you. You're you're fine. Yeah, But what's the trouble is is like the people who who inform their religious beliefs on laws and stuff like that, is where it starts to be, like, look, I understand you don't believe in abortion. That's great, So don't get an abortion, right, you know what I mean? Like, but don't don't start to just impose your stuff on us.
Speaker 1: It's it's abortion is a really really tricky one because you're never going to change anyone's mind. Yeah, and that's that's where you go. It's a real goody.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you get through that.
Speaker 3: It's so weird because it wasn't even like really an issue until it was this, Yeah, until it was.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I mean, you know, do you remember the movie Dirty Dancing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do, as a matter of fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then that they got a pretty big good story about abortion and dirty dancing. And in fact, everyone should see that movie again because it goes okay, but also you know, okay, you know that's what I loved that that should have been on the poster dirty Dad. So okay, okay, but this is why my movie sucked, because.
Speaker 3: Okay, but do you remember the tagline of your movie?
Speaker 1: Was there one?
Speaker 3: Do you have the poster somewhere?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Fuck, I'm sure somebody mine was. There's nowhere he won't go.
Speaker 1: I did one for Warner Brothers. This is a movie that actually was quite proud. I didn't direct this movie. But then a movie called The Big Teas, which was about a Scottish hairdresser that comes to Los Angeles to take part in the World Hairdressing competition.
Speaker 3: I sort of remember this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played it. Yeah, yeah, And I stand by the movie. It's funny movie. But because it was nineteen ninety eight and the character I was playing was gay and the sympathetic character, there was no yes other than he was a gay man. But it was an R.
Speaker 3: It was rated R just for the fact that it was for the fact content, the fact that it was still mature contact.
Speaker 1: It was just the fact that he was a gay character. This is before Will and Grace was on TV or anything like that. And the I wanted to put on the log line of the poster he came, he combed, he conquered right right. They wouldn't put it on because they said he came sounds like he came right sex and he's gay. I'm like what, so they on the log line that says he saw, he combed, he conquered.
Speaker 3: Like that, that doesn't make any sense at all. It's like, you know how you get pringles the lovely chips out of a can?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, you know in like the dollar stores they sell prongles, they do, and on prongles it doesn't say it speaking of the game, right, he doesn't say like it. On the pringles it says, once you pop, you can't start right broncles.
Speaker 3: It says, once you pop, that's great. Once you pop that hey, but you great, and that you came reminded me of Married to the Mob. I still remember that the headboard in that just as v DVDVD, which is because that's where he has sex with his guma. Very that's very clever, that's very funny.
Speaker 1: That's a good Latin joke. Well listen, so here's my pitch to you make a make a mini series of Julian the Apostate by gor Vidal. I think it could be hilarious and also a little bit game of thronesy interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, you look at stuff like Game of Thrones and show guns and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It could be very, very popular.
Speaker 3: I don't know why anyone would want me to do that, but because you're clever and what you make is good and that's why I haven't even read the book.
Speaker 1: Though this doesn't matter. I've read it, so I've read.
Speaker 3: There telling me what I'm doing, right, I'll be already page forty two it says this, and you go, all right, that will change, alright, we'll put yeah, yeah, we'll do that.
Speaker 1: It's been a joy talking to you. I wish you could go longer. Can we do it again? Yes?
Speaker 3: I would love that. Yes, And if you ever would want to do my show, and it's a lot dred percent ridiculousness, No, I one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent would want to do your show. And actually this is kind of now legally you have to have me on because a podcast swap of course. Yeah, yeah, that's right. It's like it's what they used to do, sitcom crossover episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you see the Two and a Half Men CSI? That's awesome. The writing staff from cs I wrote the two and a half Man and vice versa. Oh my god, it's insane.
Speaker 1: You know. I did one with the Big Bang Theory.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting? Where I with the Big Bank? Oh? Meaning your show and the Big Bank?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I went on the Big Bang Theory. Were they on me? I can't remember, but there was this. We were on their set and I had applied for the job to be Sheldon's friend and I didn't get it. It's like one and see, like, oh fuck.
Speaker 3: We were trying to do one with Mark Maron show on my show, Oh yeah, and he shut it down. But it was going to be, uh like because we were back to back and I would love that when I was young watching shows interact, you know, so like he was going to be on my show and then I was going to be on his show, and then eventually it all just like went away because he didn't want to do it.
Speaker 1: But it was. I did one with Drew Carrey on The Prices Right and myso as a special, really wacky thing. CBS let me host The Prices Right and let Drew host my show.
Speaker 3: That's fun.
Speaker 1: You know, it wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: Was it fun to host The Prices Right and do all those games and stuff?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 1: Was it? Really? Yeah? I felt like I was like I got to shore driving the Space Shuttle or so. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I think when celebrities you see them on these game shows these days, and they all have to play for charities, it's like, let them keep them money, let.
Speaker 1: Them keep them money, I know what I mean. And then I'm in, yeah, yeah, like I give money, Jarny, sure, yeah.
Speaker 3: Make some you'll give ten percent of it maybe to charity. Like let's have a celebrities give, you know, ten percent to charity, and the other night he goes and another night goes to the celebrity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why you're warned. Yes, exactly. I think that's fine. All right, Well we got that sorted. You'll see me next on Comedy Backpack.
Speaker 3: You see it and see it