Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done done.
Speaker 4: Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 2: An SVU podcast coming to you live JK I am Lee's.
Speaker 1: A Trigger and I'm Kara Klink and we're always in a time machine of the little of a small amount, you know our podcast. Guys, Unless you're tuning in to today's episode, our two hundredth episode for the.
Speaker 4: First time, you know you might be.
Speaker 2: This is a huge day for us, actually runner at the episode.
Speaker 1: Huge guests, I'm sure you can assume, yes, if you're just tuning in. We talk about we recap an episode of SVU, talk about the true crime it's based on, and we talked to an amazing guest from the episode. Today's no different. But up top, we chat, we rant, we talk about what's going on in the world, in each other's lives.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't even think we talked about this yet, but this is like a fucked up way to start.
Speaker 4: But we are in SU podcast.
Speaker 2: But you obviously heard about this woman that her husband was drugging her. Oh, I'm letting the whole town raper. And one of the rules is no condoms. People at HIV seventy two people in the neighborhood, her neighbor.
Speaker 1: Everyone just was this in France or another country? It was in another country? Yeah, yeah, yeah, good yeah, And she said, fuck a private trial.
Speaker 2: You see my face. This needs to be like public. And I hope they all go to jail. I hope he gets the firing squad, and I hope that Why isn't this a bigger story?
Speaker 4: Men really need to.
Speaker 2: Like sane if this isn't the most evidence you can find of, Like, yes, all men, the whole community was against you.
Speaker 4: This man married you and drugging you and let it. I just can't. I keep repeating it to try to make it make sense. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, No, a bear is not inviting its friends over to take turns on its wife. We're picking the bear again, We're picking the bear.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy, it's.
Speaker 1: So great, Like, yeah, I saw that story and that was like fritzl level to me almost where I was like, oh no, I need to be in a certain space to be able to like fully dive into the story.
Speaker 4: It's too grow it's too horrifying, like so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll change the topic just to quickly. But I did have I've been waiting for a long time. I'm going to go back. I think it's going to be my new obsession. But I try to diet coke slushy.
Speaker 1: Ooh yeah, I think I saw that in your story.
Speaker 4: Actually a little DC slush It's perfect.
Speaker 2: It's perfect because I feel like with slurpy is in a lot of slush, it's like too overpoweringly sweet, you know, uh huh. And this isn't because it's fucking die. I had coke and it's not super blendy, so it's still little chunk.
Speaker 4: It would like I.
Speaker 2: Am taking the train and walking just to get this, like I would do that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: Wow, a destination diet coke slushie? Where is it? Like, I'm sorry, is it like a chain place or just some little place you found that hasn't.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know if it's it is little, but I think it's doing well. It's called Edith's, okay, But I asked when they opened, which was like twenty twenty, and they started popping off in like twenty twenty one. Is okay, because I lived in that neighborhood for a long time and that was not around.
Speaker 1: Got it all right? Yeah, get over there. So excited, Ashy, that's exciting. That is exciting. What's going on in La Boots on the ground. What's happening here? Well, my birthday was last week.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: For the b day messages, I wasn't really gonna do a big thing or anything because we had just gone to Palm Springs for our friends forty and that was kind of like the big thing for the month of September for me.
Speaker 4: And I was like, you know what, I'm not really doing a lot for my birthday.
Speaker 1: But Lisa sent me beautiful flowers in that's messed up colors everybody, which I will take a picture of it.
Speaker 2: There was the story you see one hot pink thing in there? If I'm going off the photo, but I know you like hot pink. I was trying, well, no, there was when I saw the picture, Oh okay something. Honestly, I feel bad that I said something negative because I do. I think the the local floorist in your neighborhood is incredible and I was happy I thought they were, And honestly, I'll tell you without I'm not complimenting you to for any kind of brownie points.
Speaker 1: Rosie goes, this is the best one, and I go those are Lisa's. She was definitely weighing in. Although my brought me some beautiful flowers my parents. But it was nice. But like, so my friend and I we swapped days where I watched her kids. So her and her husband go out for her birthday a couple weeks before, and then she was watching my kids. She knows my kids. My kids go to bed. There's the same shit every night. Usually Rosie goes right to bed, and Oscar will come out a couple times to be like, did.
Speaker 4: You know that alicorns or unicorns that can also fly?
Speaker 1: Like He'll come out with some dumb little thing and then you walk them back to bed. He maybe does that two or three times, and that's it.
Speaker 4: I go out.
Speaker 1: First of all, you were in the car with me when our friend recommended this restaurant to me. She goes, go to this restaurant, a Pasiting and it's so fod.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Kara, you told me ahead of time that there was no reservations, and I know for a fact this is not something that you can handle.
Speaker 4: But she got it.
Speaker 1: No, of course it sound like she made it sound like, even if you have to wait for forty five minutes, you go across the street and get a drink.
Speaker 4: It was a two hour wait, two hour waight that's Friday night? Yeah, I know. So I was like I should have wait.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I should have been a better friend and been like, are you sure you don't want to make a backup preservation?
Speaker 4: Because I know you're right, not for you. And I can't believe I did it.
Speaker 1: I think I was just like I didn't want to think about anything for the birthday, did it.
Speaker 4: I was just like, yeah, we'll just go try this place. If it doesn't work whatever. So we go.
Speaker 1: They're like two hourweight. I'm like, all right, never mind, we'll go somewhere else. So I'm on Rezie, I'm trying to find another place to go. My friend is texting me, going, hey, So they're both screaming for you and it's been fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Is there some kind of trick?
Speaker 1: And I go what, like they never do that, They're never like, you know, I go out of town. I go out all the time, Like they don't. They don't ever do that. So I go, let me FaceTime you. So I'm on the streets facetiming my kids in.
Speaker 4: The book going we want you? Where are you?
Speaker 1: I go, you, guys, this is my birthday. This is not fair. But they're three and five. You can't really reason with them like that. And I'm like, okay, I don't. They won't stop. They won't stop to listen to me. They won't stop. So I go, all right, I guess we're coming home. So we go home and the minute I walk in the door, I can see them on their little cameras. They're asleep. They're both asleep. So I walk in the door. My friend is like, I'm so sorry. I just there was nothing. They were feeding off each other. They wouldn't stop. And I was like, okay, is it okay if we go back out? And she was like, no, of course, go out. So now it's just an hour of the night has been sidetracked. So we ended up going out someplace in Silver Lake and it was fun, and I was going to go to James o'domian's album release and I was like, honestly, I'm a little bit emotionally exhausted after but it was at acbar where you and I did learn the words bitch, which is a gay bar on the What.
Speaker 4: Did you eat? Was this still Italian? What did you have? An impossible?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So we went to Marco Polo.
Speaker 1: We went to Marco Polo at the Silver Lake Hotel, Silver Lake Pool and Hotel or something like that. Yeah, and our friend had been there before, so I was like, I think, I know, this place seems like pretty good. And they had they had vodka pasta. You know, they had vodka sauce pasta, and that's kind of my my kryptonite. So I was like, we'll go there. So it was nice and we were able to like kind of reset the night. But I was like, I was like cursing my children on my way to the car. It was like, these little fuckers are ruining my birthday. And then I get home and they're just little sleeping angels.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I thought it. I mean, this is your friend doing you a favor, so it's fine. As a former professional child's care tape, I would never have called the parents after only fifteen minutes of screaming. So I hope she's not a listener, because that's my opinion.
Speaker 1: She's not and I was a little bit thinking that, but I was also like, I was.
Speaker 4: Here to tell you as a professional. She is there like.
Speaker 1: Her daughter and my daughter are friends. I was kind of like, maybe she's being too nice.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I was like, you got to just tell them to shut the hell up. I don't know. That's obviously not how I disciplined my children.
Speaker 2: Everybody, but like, well, no, because there was one time where you had to go, you know, to the Christmas pageants. You know, Jared had to be a work something was happening. So I stayed with Oscar and everyone was like, I don't know, can you do it? And I'm like, yeah, I'll ignore him while he screams and he will stop and yeah did.
Speaker 4: And he did, Yeah, and he did.
Speaker 2: And I ate my you know McDonald's as I watched him scream for a little bit and then he stopped.
Speaker 1: He was quiet, and when I got home, he was just sitting there watching TV and glancing at Lisa once in a while and having a time.
Speaker 2: It was fine. Yeah, I was totally fine. I just feel like if it was an hour, maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry, Like, especially because they're three and five, like they're verbal It's not like it's like I wouldn't let a little tiny baby cry for an hour because you do, something could be wrong or whatever. But like they're verbal, they can be like my ankle's broken, you know, like whatever. So they were just putting on a show for her because the next day, you can better believe. We had a little family meeting first thing, and I was like, that will not happen again, Like you will not be doing that. I have to go out sometimes, I have to go out and work. They get a babysitter every Wednesday when I go out and do my show. So I'm like, you guys had a babysitter two nights ago.
Speaker 4: What the hell? They also had a babysitter while we were out of town for I know.
Speaker 1: They love that babysitter. This was them putting on a little show. They were just kind of like when they realize I think that she was gonna FaceTime. Maybe I shouldn't have even done the FaceTime, like I just felt because it was supposed to be easy, Like when I do it for her. Her kids are five and seven, I don't even see them. They're not even around. They're in bed. When I get there, I watched them and I don't know who this is. I don't know if you've met her.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, I was thinking of a fully different friend this whole time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Now I would have told you if it was somebody that you know as well. You don't know this person, and I don't even think I met them in passing, but we do swaps every now and then, and.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to. I'm gonna think I'm gonna have to give.
Speaker 1: It a little break. She seemed traumatized too. When I got home, I was like, are you okay if we go back out? She was like, yeahs long? Are they asleep? I'm like, they're asleep. I can see them on the camp sleep. It's like maybe for birthdays. I only do now paid babysitters where I can be like your problem, I'm paying you to deal with it.
Speaker 2: But well, because I had a big pasta moment, I finally made it to chat Chelsea Cafe. I'm part of the Chelsea Hotel and I wanted to try this flat ravioli.
Speaker 1: She saw it on your fucking story and was so, I guess so good.
Speaker 2: I guess this is like mac and cheese for kids in France is what I heard, Like, this is like an afterschool easy dish that the kids eat, but it's a ravioli. She and I would say, it's like it felt it was the comfort of a buttered noodle.
Speaker 4: And it's a cheese filling. It's a cheesy ravioli.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And then I was so good I was getting hammered. I had it looks like it has like a catch to a pepe sauce on it or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just looked awesome when I saw it.
Speaker 2: So basically I had an insane Saturday where obviously, oh no, it wasn't Saturday. Was it was Friday? Not that it fucking matters, So like's no Friday. I go to soul Cycle in the morning. For some reason, it just took to me. I was so tired. I was just like I had to nap. So I ended up napping after soul Cycle. By the time I woke up in the afternoon, I had plans to meet a friend at like fourish, so I was like, well, I'm just not gonna eat. It's two we're gonna eat in a couple hours. I'll just you know, see him when I see him. And then my friends are like, we're actually doing a happy hour at this other place, and I was like, well, we'll meet you later. So I meet my friend at an empty stomach. I do have two margaritas immediately and we and we smoke a joint. Let's be real, So like I meet my friend, we smoke a joint. I have two margarita's. I am sauced as fuck. So then he needs to go do some shopping errands, and I'm like, let's go. So we're like hammered shopping through the streets. We need a piece, so we take a shot somewhere. I've still not eaten, not not one bit of food, and so then I meet our friends at the Commodore and then I I finally eat, but I'm also still just drinking more so like I'm drinking, I'm eating. And then I have four spots that night, one of which is at one fifty five am. So it's not like and I started early wildly. I usually don't start around nine, but like, so it was just sammer.
Speaker 4: I had to run to my first spot at nine.
Speaker 2: So in between like my earlier and my later, I had this buttered noodle ravioli coucio Pepe, sheet pepe, whatever.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 2: I had a food video and I was people are saying, I'm misgendering the meat. I didn't know how to say Mortadella. I kept saying Mordidella, Mortadello, and I guess.
Speaker 1: Yes, mister hearing the meat Mordandella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kept like switching it back and forth.
Speaker 4: I don't know that would tickle you.
Speaker 1: So that's so funny. I'm sorry, that's really funny to me. Yeah, you're like, what is this? This sa Salamo Like we're just making We're just changing meats here and there.
Speaker 2: I love it, okay, so but yeah, so it was like a wild Friday. And then I finally I think got home at like two something three in the morning from all the spots.
Speaker 1: Wow, and all your spots went well and every day because I've been not that you were too too drunk because you ate and everything, but like I always remember being like, oh god, no, I'm like you get on stage and you're like, fuck, I'm drunk, Like, id No.
Speaker 4: I wasn't drunk. I was tired. I was just like tired, like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was just uh and I was smart and we it was just like, uh, my friend I ran into that night. He said that I lived my life like a teen who just won the lottery or something, or like they're like, parents are out of town, it's time to live it up. And I'm like, no, I've been recuperating for days. Oh god, oh my god, I love it. I went to a backgammon night last night.
Speaker 4: Oh you did.
Speaker 2: I finally did. I went by myself. Yeah, I did it. You know, I'll go again. I'll go again.
Speaker 1: Backcamm In, you tried to briefly just show me how to do it at at the Palm Springs.
Speaker 4: Well, I was like watching you and my ohone.
Speaker 1: You guys were kind of like, well, you just have to do this, and I was like, it's not computing for me. So I'm like, maybe Domino's is my thing that you're gonna actually teach me. And I'm gonna get because I don't think. I don't know if I see it for backcammon, I see it, I see it. But what were you gonna say?
Speaker 2: Cause I don't have actually any fun like tales from backgammon. Well, actually it was it was like in midtown it was very impossible to get to barricades. Everywhere, cops are everywhere. I don't know what's happening. And then afterwards, I was a little sauced, called a friend and they figured.
Speaker 4: Out that all the UN world leaders are meeting. Oh and I had the UN fuck it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was you in General Assembly and there's all this stuff about how it's the worst traffic week in New York. And I was almost like, I'll text Lisa and tell her, like, by the way, it's you in General Assembly, Traffic's gonna be bad. And I was like, she's gonna be like, she's gonna be like you think I don't know that.
Speaker 4: So I didn't text you. No, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: And I had just gotten stopped a few months earlier or a month earlier, I don't remember. Time is weird, but for Biden's motorcade and we weren't allowed to cross or anything. So I was like, no, we're allowed to walk on these but it's it was like three full blocks.
Speaker 4: I take the train anyways. But yeah, I was finally, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: It's a crazy weekend in New York, like I remember, or days in New York. I don't know, it's like how many days it is, but like it's crazy. Oh no, I was just gonna say, last night I finished Secret Lives of Mormon Wives. Oh wow, So I finished shit And yeah, I was really fucking hooked the whole time. And I'm still making my way through the Bear. But I'm not interested the Bear. I don't think I'm gonna watch season three.
Speaker 2: Maybe when season four comes out and that's really good, I'll be like, Okay, I have two things to like power Through. I didn't like the trailer. I didn't like the direction they were going. I'm not interested. I'd rather be in the fantasy of season two of like wow, they did it like I like that.
Speaker 1: I don't need him becoming a freak. But oh, I don't even know. I haven't even seen season three's trailer. Wait, what's my watching?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I feel like I've said too much.
Speaker 1: No, what season in my wa not like City premiered like that was a big I know when I haven't watched it yet.
Speaker 4: It's staying on my DVR, but I'm going to watch it. Watched it twice.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty happy I did call Spectrum to quit cable. I want everyone to know because everyone's always like, wow, you still pay for cable, and I did. I was able to, through my threats to quit, talk them down to where I'm paying like thirty dollars a month for cable now, So I'm staying with cable for a while. So I have my own Bravo and I've got my DVR so that I won't like lose track of Bravo because that is what keeps me on track. That they're sitting right there, I'm not watching the Dubai things. Wait, Salt Lake's back and is New York back already?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, coming up, coming up right. Yeah, we'll give you a full lowdown once. Yeah today, Yeah, yeah, I guess we can get into our a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is our I mean, I don't know what else like. I mean, well, thanks everyone for listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you know a lot of people we meet on the road say they're day one listeners. They heard the ad on my favorite murder. Some people have just joined to some people you know, are watching us to be with us starting from the beginning. Let's yeah, it's all great. I'm babbling because I'm empty by the listeners. Yes, we love We're on tour, come see us live.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, it's this episode is coming out on October first, and in two weeks basically we start our Spooky season tour where we're going to be in Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, LA, and Portland. So if you live in any of those places, go to That's messed Up live dot Com. We just ordered a bunch of very cool tour only merch, so it's really fun stuff that you can only buy if you come see us live. So yeah, come out and see us, and That's messed Up Live dot Com also takes you to like our merch page and Lisa's tour dates and everything else you need for any information about either of us, and yeah, we you. Some of you may remember that this episode we're about to do today was our very first live show that we did at Dynasty Typewriter, So we're doing it again, we're doing it different, and we've got a killer guest, So don't.
Speaker 4: Go away, guys.
Speaker 1: Today we are doing for our two hundredth episode, Bear Bear Bear Beer. We are doing PC a fan favorite. You guys have asked us to do this one. We were obviously holding out for reasons that you can imagine. We're resolved and we've done this episode at a couple of live shows, So if you saw it there, I would say, still listen today, we've probably got new takes, new jokes. And this episode is from season eleven, episode thirteen, and yeah, from back in twenty ten, and it starts out with a couple stumbling out of a bar, laughing like comically loudly. They are having the time in their lives. They're like, oh my god, we're young and drunken in love. And she's like, Steve, let's take a pick, and she whips out her BlackBerry so she can take a cute grainy shot to upload a Facebook And just as the guy corrects her that his name is Scott, which I love, they are absolutely about to go home and fuck and I love it until chaos. A man runs by her, grabs her phone and takes off. I don't know, it's twenty ten. I had a BlackBerry around that time. I don't know what you're what the street value is for a BlackBerry, but this guy is trying to get it, so he runs takes off. A cop happens to be right there and he's like, stop, don't move, and he gives chase. This police officer is chasing this man through alley's a little obstacle. Course, he has his gun drawn, and I guess my thing is, yes, robbing people is bad, but no one deserves to be shot to death over a BlackBerry. And that's kind of where a lot of the problem is with the police. Like I would say, it's like, yeah, lady, sorry, I ran a couple blocks, I couldn't find him. Call your insurance, get a new phone, like it's a one hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 1: As the guy corners the guy in the back of the alley behind some gate, the purp actually comes out and he goes, okay, okay, I stole the phone, but I didn't do that. He drops the phone on the ground, and he takes off the cop like has his flashlight, looks and he sees a ton of blood splattered on this like linoleum floor, and it's leading to the body of a dead woman, and he goes, holy god. And then he calls for a bus, and just as he tells dispatch, I think she's already dead, she gasps for air. So fuck, she is actually alive. I do appreciate a little trick like that. He asks who did that?
Speaker 2: So that just always reminds me of the sloth guy from seven.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yes, when you're like, there's no possible way this guy's alive, and then he's like, yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So the guy asked the police officer that with the flashlight, who was about to shoot a phone thief, was like.
Speaker 4: Who did this to you?
Speaker 1: And she goes Mitch, Mitch, like she's spattering out the word Mitch, and then you know, she can't really say much because her throat is fully slashed.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I mentioned that.
Speaker 1: So now we're at the hospital and the cop is beson is stable or white, female, mid twenties, no purse, no id, panties are gone. Sorry I said that. She was found in an empty restaurant, bruising on her thighs. Her throat is sliced. And they roll up to uh, surfer doctor dude. We've talked about him before. He is a doctor who clearly looks like you should be hanging ten in Malibu instead, he's a doctor in like the er in Manhattan. And he's like, they're like, who talked to the victim and he's like, big, done, done, Sorry, you can't.
Speaker 4: She is dead.
Speaker 1: So the victim has passed and the detectives all look stunned and sad.
Speaker 4: This job never.
Speaker 1: Gets easier, and Marishka does have a long bob, which Lisa has mentioned might be one of her favorite hairstyles of Marishka's, of Olivia Benson's time, and I'm, you.
Speaker 2: Know, against the patriarchy, but I like most of her more feminine hairdoos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it when the locks are flowing and highlighted. And yes, I even like a sumher of some hare with bangs. You know, I'm like in those days too. So top of act one, Benson is Stabler head to the scene of the crime. They're looking for the murder weapon. The cops couldn't find the underwear. It's literally hanging from a chair across the room. So I don't know why that was such a big mystery. They're right there, Benson says, Oh, Mitch must have been filled with rage, whoever this Mitch guy is, and Stabler's like, okay, there's empty beer bottles and candles, so Benson's like, do you think maybe it started out as a cheap date And then Benson notices literally the writing on the wall. There is a pentagram that looks like it's written with dripping blood and it's like the number six sixty six and upside down cross and all that shit.
Speaker 4: Bary Hail Satan.
Speaker 1: So now we're back at the precinct and Finn has done some legwork to track down the symbol and it's linked to a singer of a.
Speaker 4: Death metal band.
Speaker 1: Like they're like, oh, it's just like heavy metal, and he goes, no, like death metal like Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, but sicker and more violent. And this is kind of a fun little tie in because I see is, of course the lead singer of a heavy metal band called body Count, so he gets to have a little fun talking about metal for a moment. Anyway, they are looking at a video of this goth man with vampire fangs and his name is Trey Greenway, because what a scary vampire named Trey Greenway, and he just uploaded a music video that was for sure shot at this crime scene. The victim is not to be found in the video, but Finn's like, well, she could have been the opening act or the cool down, like after he's all, you know, revved up from doing his video and stablers like I kind of doubt it. This guy looks like he's in it for the shock value and the fame, not murder. But Trey does have a record, so we could go check him out. Melinda's report confirms that there was a sexual assault, but no fibers, no prints, no fluids, so not great for evidence. Craigan suggests, let's start a face union page for our Jane Doe and hope it goes viral. What a wild thing to pop up in your people you may know section, Just the dead photo of a woman that's like, Hi, I'm Jane Doe.
Speaker 4: Want to poke me?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: What a weird fucking thing for Craigan to suggest.
Speaker 1: Also feels very old, like let's start a face union page and hope it goes viral. People's social media pages don't really go viral. I mean, like you know what I mean. You get a lot of followers or friends, I guess, but that's not the same thing.
Speaker 4: So then Benson says, and Elliot.
Speaker 1: And I will go track down count Chocula, which I do think is funny to call this wanna be vampire count Chocula. So now they're at Trey Greenway's place in Brooklyn and it's a candle explosion, there's candles everywhere, white sheets draped everywhere. Benson comes in with another killer line. This guy's single handedly keeping Peer one in business, and I love that as a former Peer one devotee Rip Pier one. They hear intense screaming and whip out their guns, and there's a woman in a purple bra and her arms are tied up above her head and a man is biting her neck. So some vampire sex play is happening here. So now we cut to the precinct where they're trying to bring Trent in and he's all like, wait, a vampire cannot enter a room unless he invited, and Stable just shoves him into the room and goes, there's your invitation. This episode really is truly full of laughs, and we haven't even gotten to the main part yet.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 1: This guy thinks he's like a vampire prince and he calls Stabler a human like, very disdainfully like.
Speaker 4: He keeps going okay, human like, it's so.
Speaker 1: Funny, and Stabler goes, all right, ask clown, if you were a vampire, you couldn't see your reflections and he stands him in front of the mirrored glass. Then the guy waits like a beat and then he thinks fast and he goes, I do not see a reflection, and it's like sure, jam. So Benson is with the goth girl now in another room. You know, they've got the vampire in cement room bars, they've got the poor vampire girl victim in Blind's regular room, right, and so filing cabinet blinds, what are we calling that room?
Speaker 4: I forgot?
Speaker 1: Benson is like, so, what was going on? And she's like, well, he wasn't attacking me. I love it. He's helping me transition from CI to sang. Benson kink shames her a little bit, and she like, is like, what are you talking about. She's like, well, I feed off psychic energy of others. But Trey has already elevated to a Sang vampire. And Benson's like as in sanguine, which is you know, having to do with blood, and she calls him her master and she is his willing victim. But she really does sound like a scare drone, like she's the girl is playing it funny, like she's playing it well, like because she's like, no, he.
Speaker 4: Is my master and I'm willing. I'm willing.
Speaker 1: No I want to do this, Like she definitely feels like she's like, I'm in too far, but whatever, and then in amazing editing, Benson throws down the photo of Jane Doe and then it opens up on Stabler like also throwing down the photo of Jane Doe, and the vampire goes, if you must know human, and then he's like, I've never even seen the victim. I wasn't even in the building that night. I was auditioning bands for my upcoming tour and I was shredding with them in the Bronx all night. So the blood from the wall, the girl is like, I gave that to him as an offering, and.
Speaker 4: It turns out it's not even her blood. Dude.
Speaker 1: She works at a blood bank and she steals bags of blood for this dude, so blood that people are donating to give to victims of like car crashes and blood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm giving blood.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get blood on the rag and if some stupid bitch is giving it to her vampire boyfriend, I'm pissed.
Speaker 4: The Red Cross better have safeguards against that.
Speaker 1: So Benson like hates this and is like, yo, bitch, this is a crime and she's like, I know, but he can't bite Randoms because he's really scared of getting HIV. And plus the sex is super hot, So we're getting to the bottom of why this girl is in this situation. This guy, apparently, this vampire has good dick. So back at the office, this all checks out and has been a total waste of time, except for the fact that has been kind of hilarious. Craigimblows and saying that they've discovered that the victim had a clotting disorder called Stuart Prower deficiency, so the murder itself may have been unintentional. There was rust found in the laceration, so it's possible that she got cut while she was being yanked into the bill and that murder like wasn't the primary motive, and Benson's like, well, it still is murder, and then gives this horrific example of a girl having an asthma attack while being raped and she died, and like, I have asthma and now I'm scared of that happening. But suddenly, as they're having this conversation, about a dozen women walk in silently just holding a picture of the Jane Doe flier that says do you know me? And Craigan is like, hey, ladies, if there's a problem, we would really help if someone could talk. And then we hear a familiar voice from the back of the crowd going, you're damn right, there's a problem, and it's Kathy Griffin marching forward in bangs and an attitude, and she goes, this woman's name is Alyssa Davies and she's one more lesbian who is dead because of the NYPD. And then dramatic music stings and we're like, what is happening? So we open on act two, it's Kathy Griffin going quote where Dyke's we're pissed and we're not leaving till we get results, which is not a good catchphrase. And I really thought lesbians were better at rhyming. Craigan goes, so you're the leader, and Kathy Griffin goes, nothing gets by you, Curly, I mean, I'm already dying calling Cat bald q ball Captain Craig and Curly is so funny. She introduces herself as Bab's duffy, President, founder and spokeswoman for lesbistrong dot com, which Benson has heard of but she made the mistake of calling it a gay rights group, and Babs corrects her, it's a lesbian rights only no other rights are allowed. Babs calls the cops clowns, and Craigan is like, hold up, we actually love the LGBT community, and uh oh, he did not include the QIA, and Babs is not gonna let him forget it. Sabler knows LGBTT, but what's the QIA. She fills in questioning intersects and allies and says, stay with me. To Bent to Sabler like, I know you're a dumb, idiot white man, but here's what they all stand for.
Speaker 4: Now. This is something I mentioned in last week's episode that we.
Speaker 1: Were talking about. We were talking about kind of older language. A is stands for a sexual in LGBTQIA, but I remember also thinking that it was allies, and I was like, oh, did I make that mistake or did SVU teach me that? When did I learn that? And so apparently in the eighties A stood for ally among other definitions like a sexual agender, so that closeted people could attend rallies, meetings, events and stuff without fear. But the community has since moved away from that, and nobody wants to include allies in Lgbtquia like they're like.
Speaker 4: We're a marginalized community.
Speaker 1: You don't get to be part of our acronym just for being nice to gay people. So it apparently no longer stands for ally, but a lot of older generations still think that. So here we see the beginning of a beautiful enemy ship between Babs and Stabler. Okay, Stabler said, yeah, I have a tough time keeping up with political correct and then Bob goes, all I'm getting from you is your pis poor patriarchal attitude. So take it down to notch Jack web And I looked up Jack Webb, who is an old actor from Dragnet, so I guess this is also an extremely old reference. Olivia steps up and talks all about the alliances that the NYPD has with gay organization, and Babs is like, blah blah blah, it's all bullshit and calls Olivia out for being part of the heteronormative paradigm. So Babs is on one.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then they get back to the victim, Melissa. Babbs explains that she is the latest victim in an epidemic of attacks, rapes, and murders of lesbians in the city. Craigan and Liver are like, well, we have the stats and this isn't an epidemic or even a pattern that we've noticed, and Bab says, well, I'm here to open your eyes. But Stabler wants to cut to the chase. He's like, did you know this woman? And Babs goes, oh, yeah, because all lesbians are lovers. Because if two lesbians know each other, the next thing, they're in their bron panties. Going down like the Titanic, I mean, shoot, all the writing Emmys over to the cast for season eleven and I'm loving this.
Speaker 4: So well, my thing is it's Kathy. It's Krathy Griffin success.
Speaker 2: So it's like, but it's as to you, it's a serious Yeah, so I am curious at the improverse all writing. And did Neil Baar play a heavier hand than normal in this episode?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I have a lot of questions for sure, And yes.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of questions, but going down like the Titanic is like a really to me. It's a very clever way of being able to also get it on NBC because you're not saying going down on each other, You're saying going down like the Titanic. Like it's a clever way, I think to get talking about oral sex very graphically on network television. So Stabler cannot believe this woman, and Babs is just staring daggers at him. She says she wants to come with them to notify the next of Cannon. Stabler's like, fuck, no, we will arrest you and then all your followers will hear that you're the problem and not the solution. And so Babs finally reveals that this woman's girlfriend is a woman named Sharon Harris and gives her her exact address with apartment number that she has memorized. So in the next scene, and we're seeing a video of Alyssa from when she was alive and her girlfriend Sharon is watching it looking forlorn as fuck and Sharon says, she was the love of my life. We were engaged. They asked her, do you know anyone named Mitch?
Speaker 4: She doesn't.
Speaker 1: She denies knowing anyone with that name, and she's like, I don't know many men. And Sharon tells Olivia that she works at a lesbian bar called The Kiddy corner and Alyssa stopped in Tuesday night at eight o'clock in a great mood. She had some drinks and she left, and that was two days ago. And they're like, weren't you worried? And she's like, no, because sometimes she would just get struck with an idea for a piece of jewelry and go to her studio and stay there for days until it was perfect. And I thought she was honestly there making our wedding bands, so okay, she thought she was struck with, like, you know, the artist's way or something. But also, I will say that half the people in this cast are calling her Alisa and half are calling her Alissa, So they first call her Alissa, so I'm going with that, but her name does change pronunciation from person to person. As they leave, Stabler points out to Benson, did you see that Sharon was completely ignoring me? And then Babs Duffy shows up right behind them in the nick of time, going have you looked between your legs lately? And they're like, what are you doing here? And she goes, oh, right, because I'm a lesbian, I should be home with my cat's sheet rocking my bathroom.
Speaker 4: It's just like it's just hit after hit and I'm really enjoying it and.
Speaker 2: That unpacked bits. I mean, yeah, it is like it changes the genre of SVO. That's how funny this episode.
Speaker 4: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: This is this was actually I know, we said we've done this as live shows. We did this as our very first live show because we were like, this has the laughs that can sustain a live show. This episode absolutely, And so Babs goes, Okay, what's our next move? Like she's on team cop now, and they're like, go home, Babs, and she's like, what's your problem? Stabler? And he goes, have you looked in the mirror lately? And she goes, you don't want me as your enemy? And Stable goes, I'm pretty sure I don't want you as my friend either, and she goes, oh good, because a friend would tell you your ass is huge. I'm like, oh my god, not Bab's duffy going after Stabler's huge dump truck of an ass a full decade before the Internet.
Speaker 4: Like I'm obsessed.
Speaker 1: She starts going in on Stabler's ass until Benson interrupts and Babs is like, look, I don't expect Asi mcbig pants over here to catch anybody. But Benson, you seem pretty on the ball and like they're just getting in the call at car ignoring her, and then she pulls out her like final card to play that she's been working closely with Brooklyn Bias Crimes. Go talk to Omar Ellis, He'll back me up. So now Benson and Stabler are at Bias Crimes task Force talking to Detective Omar Ellis, who says Babs is a nutcase. He's like, she's trying to make a connection where there isn't one and threatens new media all kinds of exposure, and Stabler thinks she's extorting people for constributions to Lesbie Strong and because for Babs it's all about Lesbian's twenty four seven. So they asked are like, so is there any evidence of a trend of lesbian's being attacked? And he's like, not really, but these attacks to do the attacks that we do see happen near lesbian bars, which is hardly a trend because like obviously when people are drinking, you know, there's more violence is likely, or people are likely to attack people near a lesbian bar if that's something that they're against. So where did this attack happen Manhattan forty eighth and tenth, So that's Hell's Kitchen, And somebody goes, that's a fast growing lesbian area, and I was like, I don't really remember any specifically lesbian areas of New York City. Hell's Kitchen definitely, at that time was a fast growing gay area of the city, like all kinds of gay bars, lesbian bars were popping up there. So he recommends asking patrons and employees at the Kitty Corner, which sounds like, what's the one that Oh, no, the Cubby Hole is the lesbian bar that I've been to a bunch of times, which I don't know if it's.
Speaker 2: Still there, But the Kidie Corner, it's Andy Cohen's favorite bar.
Speaker 1: Oh the Cubby Hole. Oh great, yeah, I actually one time I made out with a guy at the Cubby Hole. I don't know how that happened, but I was not planning for it. I was quite drunk. So he recommends going to check out the Katie Corner. So the next scene is we run into Babs's assistant, whose name is Rosemary, which is my mother's name, and she is played by none other than Broadway Baby Sutton. Foster, who also is currently starring in a new revival of Once Upon a Mattress, which is a musical that I really enjoy.
Speaker 4: Originally not originally on.
Speaker 1: Broadway, I don't think, but the TV version had Sarah Jessica Parker as Fred, the lead character.
Speaker 4: That's who Sutton Foster is playing.
Speaker 1: And she also was the lead of the show Younger, where her romantic interest was personal laundry spokesperson and mister Mersca Hargate Trevor Langan.
Speaker 4: Aka Peter Herman.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, So she's very connected to the SVU universe in this way, Sutton Foster, and she's handing out flyers going kill her on the loose, Killer on the loose. It's very like it reminds me of like Newsies being like extractra come get it, there's a killer on the loose.
Speaker 4: She explains that.
Speaker 2: Chris Bail hated being in Newsies to the point where they'll have they'll have like a screening or something like. He doesn't go to the reunions. He doesn't talk about it. If it's brought up, he like is pissed that it's brought up. Like he's really as upset about his Newsy's past.
Speaker 1: I mean, I didn't know that, but he so seems so difficult that like, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like you were young and you did a fun movie. Stop but he.
Speaker 1: And it's like a movie that a lot of people love and a door and it became a musical that people love and a door. I don't know, like, get over yourself, go lose a million pounds or gain a million pounds for your next role, sir. So she's kill her on the loose, Kill her on the loose, and then they're talking to her. They're like, what's up, Like, give us some background on, like how you're involved in this community. She's like, you know, Babs is and she's like, I know, Babs comes on a little bit strong, but she's helped a whole community of women find their voice. Three years ago, I was in the closet. Babs helped me come out and because of Babs, I will never be afraid to be who I am. Now, could you do us a favor and find the bastard who murdered our friend. It's like, okay, we got it. Well, let's think what we're working on actively right now. So they go into the kittie corner. And the bartender is like, yeah, a man named Mitch. Haven't seen that many men at this lesbian bar I work at, and she this is so unhinged of me, But I recognize this woman from Instagram because she is friends with people that I'm friends with, and she was in Spam a lot with my friend Jimmy, who is another exactly right host Bridger Wineger, who has an amazing podcast called I Said No Gifts. His boyfriend, Jimmy was in Spam a Lot, and I've seen a lot of photos of Leslie and Jimmy together, and I go, how do I know this woman?
Speaker 4: Looked her up?
Speaker 1: Went toy Instagram, figured out my, figured out the real mystery. And so she's like an actress and a Broadway baby and played like the female lead in Spam a lot this past year. She says she doesn't know Mitch, but have you guys talked to Sharon And she looks like she's just making like a perfectly good, little like not normal face about Sharon, Like it's a little bit scared a little bit, just like if you guys talk to Sharon, because she's definitely gonna be someone you want to talk to. And they're like, oh, yeah, we talked to her this morning, and they're like She's like, oh okay, so she hadn't fully doctor Jekyl and mister hided yet, like cause she explains that daytime Sharon is very different from nighttime Sharon, like when she comes to the bar at night to work, she's dressed differently, she acts differently, she works the door, she keeps everyone in line, and they're like, oh, so she's the bouncer and Sharon prefers enforce her. The bartender's like, I've seen her kick biker's asses. So she describes an incident where Sharon screamed at Alissa, but I think she calls her Lisa and shoved her just a couple of nights ago, and the patio of this place, which is by the way, where Sharon said her and Alissa had a couple of drinks, but now this bartender is thing they actually had quite a violent altercation involving a shove. This whole patio and bar is only a few doors down, I think from the alley where she died, So it's all very close. How long was Sharon gone. She's like, I don't know, maybe ten or fifteen minutes. Again, asking these ourtenders to explain, to remember tiny details from a night filled with.
Speaker 4: People is always so wild.
Speaker 1: She goes, look, I love a strong woman, but Sharon Harris as scary as fuck. She goes, she scares me, and you gotta go check her out online. She runs a gang called Big Apple Aggressives. Okay, then, of course, q doctor Huang to break it down for us. Just like any other culture, there are subsets of cultures, and aggressives are a specific subset of lesbian culture. They adopt aggressive attitudes. Some of them bind their breasts, some take hormones so that they can articulate musculature in their face or grow facial hair, and he says they're not likely to be more violent, though this is case by case, which Huang basically says, gays and lesbians are just as prone to domestic violent, substance abuse, sexual assault than anyone else. It's just more proof that we're all equal and stablers are like, hmm, well not according to Babs. And so he pulls up the Lesbie Strong website where Babs is. There's a live stream coming straight from the website. A Bab's addressing a crowd and she's talking right to camera telling people to donate to Lesbie Strong because they have all these legal resources and counseling resources and stuff. And Finn also finds out that Sharon has a history of domestic violence. She punched a girl at a street fair and told her that someone should rape her to teach her a lesson. And Benson goes, and that's not being aggressive, that's being a psycho.
Speaker 4: So put it on a T shirt.
Speaker 1: They also found out that her last girlfriend, Janet Burnell, got an order of protection from her last year. So obviously we're hopping in the Ford tourists and we're on our way to go talk to this ex girlfriend and they've got a picture of her with a black eye, and they show it to her and she's like, yeah, that's me. Sharon did that to me. But you know black eyes heel. The real shit happened after we broke up. She goes, Sharon was fucked up. She hacked my email, my voicemail. She did all kinds of shit like erasing calls, erasing messages, sabotage my business like it took a serious hit. I was about to call the cops on her when suddenly it stopped because she goes, I heard she met somebody else, and then they go, yeah, the somebody else she did, and then she goes, oh, I never thought that Mitch would go this far, and they're like, wait, Mitch. Janet goes, yeah, Mitch, it's a pet name we used to have.
Speaker 4: It stands for my bitch. I mean, it's just getting better and better. It's so funny. Okay.
Speaker 1: So they show up at a protest Babs is organizing, and Babs is a yelling at a local print shop owner nearby because the flyers say Bab's daffy, and she thinks it's prejudice, and she's screaming at this guy like I want a refund, I want them redone and this guy is a bigot, And then the cops are like, listen, babe, a typo is not a hate crime. But Babs can smell the cameras and jumps right in with a message for this lesbian rapist. She says SVU might be dragging their asses, but Bab's duffy is on the case, and then.
Speaker 4: They see Sharon, but I also love.
Speaker 2: At one point, Kathy Griffin's character was like, you would not fuck these up if I was straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrote it down somewhere. Yes, yes, she's literally like she's just like a.
Speaker 4: Straight person's flyer.
Speaker 1: I doubt it, like she's really over the top, but you know it, and it's it's hilarious. They're like, Babe, typo is not a hate crime, and she's like, actually so. Then the cop sees Sharon in the crowd watching and they approach her and Sabler makes the mistake of calling her Mitch and then he gets straight up punched in the face. And if you've been to some of our live shows, I do do a super cut of all the times that Stabler has gotten his ass kicked, and this is the opening. This is the opening image of this woman punching his ass right in the face. I mean, she clocks him good. And then they arrest her while Babs yells police brutality, police brutality, as if like she didn't see the punch just happen, like unfortunately, you cannot punch a cop.
Speaker 4: So now post.
Speaker 1: Punch, were at the precinct and Benson's trying to like, I don't know, dab the wound. I can't even see what's wrong with him, but he's obviously resisting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about the right and like that that's who they They think we're all Babs Duffy, like Republicans.
Speaker 1: We are all Babs, yes, yes, yes, and we're all like this wouldn't have happened to a straight white man. Absolutely, that's what I see us, says, that's why we're so annoying to them.
Speaker 4: We're just a bunch of the Babs.
Speaker 2: Also, just the name is so crazy, and yeah, it's so perfect.
Speaker 1: Yes, Babs Duffy, it's that's for Barbara. Babs is Barbara. Yeah, Babs is Barbara. Uh hello, Barbara Streisand I guess yeah, Babs. So now, and Sin is like, you know, tending to Stabler's wound, and he's all, I'm fine, I'm I'm a tough guy whatever, and then they're like what happened here, and Finn's making fun of Stabler because he got hit by a chick and cabots there being like, well, if a suspect punches an officer, charges get filed, and Stabler's like downplaying it, being like I'm fine, I'm fine, and she goes, well, would you be saying that if a man punched you? And it's true, like he would absolutely be leveraging it to get her to talk, like if that's you know, And so they go to interrogate Mitch looking for Lorne again. Mitch is the queen king of the Forlorn, looks looking out of the bars in the cement bar's room, and she refuses to talk with a man in the room, and she basically begs Benson. She's like, please tell him to leave and I'll talk to you. So then in the squad room, Stabler walks out and Cabot's like that was quick, and you know, He's like, this woman won't talk to me. So Benson's on it, and then Cabot's there. Bab runs in yelling to Stabler, you pig headed son of a bitch. But then she immediately stops yelling when she gets a load of Cabot, like she is full speechless, eyes popping out like oh got like the second she sees Cabot, and Cabot's like, I'll give you to some privacy of bats goes, you don't have to, and then Stabler gohoes, we're talking in private, let's go. And it is very funny because she is like cartoon lesbian being of course blown away by how gorgeous Stephanie marches So Bab's basically is like Sharon couldn't have done it, Like she wouldn't kill anyone because she's a woman, and women are only violent when threatened, and stablers like, I'm sick of this PC crap, So drink for the title of the episode, unless you're you know, driving or taking care of children. And she's like, you don't like us challenging the patriarchy and he's like, no, we have probable cause on Sharon. So then we cut back to which obviously probable cause another PC. They do a lot of wordplay in here where there's other things that stand for PC. Cut back to interrogation and Sharon is like, I did not kill ALYSSA. Half the cast is called oh, I already wrote this. Half the cast is calling her Alissa, the other half is calling her Lisa. Benson says, you have a serious anger problem, and she denies that and is like, you punched my partner, and she's like, you've hit people on the street and you've been lying to us, and she's like, I did it lie And Benson goes, you lied about the bar, you lied about her going to her studio. You lied about not knowing who Mitch was. She like grips the caged windows and she's like, hasn't anyone ever called you by a special name? And Olivia's like, not, bitch, and then Sharon says, straits never understand people like me. And Benson's like, I want to help you. What did Alyssa do to make you so angry? What did she do? And then she's denying it all and says that they were in love, but like She's like, well, why were you yelling at her right before she got murdered? And she goes, because I get angry about things and I hit people people I love and Alyssa knew that, and she got me into therapy and she was helping me be a better person.
Speaker 4: Olivia says.
Speaker 1: When the cop asked Alyssa who did this, she said Mitch and Sharon says she must have been scared. She was asking for me. She loved me, And so Sharon starts to cry like she's very upset. Finn interrupts and Benson is like, give us a second, and he goes, nah, I can't purp struck again. So now we're at Mercy General Hospital and sadly our victim is Rosemary aka Sutton Foster, but she is alive, but she has been assaulted. Everyone went to the bar after the flying, and she wanted to go home to update the Lesbie Strong website about the rally.
Speaker 4: She was alone. She passed by an empty doorway.
Speaker 2: You should imagine like going home from the and doing more rally paperwork at like, I know, take a load off, girl, I know, go have a light beer somewhere.
Speaker 4: Girl, it's cool.
Speaker 1: You can update the flat like the website later tomorrow morning. Yeah, so wild to rush showman to update the site. Yeah. So she was alone, she passed by an empty doorway. She was dragged into an empty building. The guy put his hands over her mouth, like from behind. She didn't see anything. Rosemary doesn't remember anything about the purp, but heard his voice saying, quote, you dykes have ruined my neighborhood. So she blames herself for not grabbing evidence or DNA, and they are like, girl, it's not your fault. You survived. You know the usual truth about what they say to victims. Then she gets so stressed and jumps up and is like, oh my god, oh my god, my phone, my BlackBerry. It's been taken and it has all the names and addresses of every member of lesbian Lesbie Strong and all the lesbians like basically in the neighborhood. Babs runs in and Stabler is like, please leave, and then Rosemary reveals that the Purp had a message for her. He said, tell that bitch bab stuff, I'm coming for her next and Babs looks shook, just to Smidge, just a little bit shook. In the next scene, she is, of course trying to deny protective custody, but the detectives try to talk her into it, and Stabler goes, it's protective custody, the good kind of PC. So another PC. She says, read my perfectly glossed lips. I don't run, okay, bitch? Love that, And Benson is like, what are you gonna do when you get killed? And then they tap into her ego and they're like, what are all these scared lesbians gonna do without their leader? And she's like, okay, fine, but it has to happen at my apartment and like put a detail on my apartment or whatever. So Benson goes to Babs's apartment with her, closes her laptop and is.
Speaker 4: Like what did I just say? No internet?
Speaker 1: And she's like, hello, I have to work on my blog. She's hilarious, very twenty ten. She's like, I have a word press blog. I need to update. There's a rally tomorrow, she says. And Benson's like, there's no rally until we catch this guy. And there's no secret tweeting either, because Babs is like over on her phone kind of like surruptish, trying to type out tweets, and Babs is like, I'm going crazy, and Benson's like, why don't you just relax?
Speaker 4: And she goes, I never relax.
Speaker 1: I'm always picketing, marketing, I'm always well Marketing's probably right, she says, I'm always picketing, marching or planning and marketing basically, And she goes, I don't do alone very well.
Speaker 4: And I can relate. This is me. I don't sit down and relax very much.
Speaker 1: You know, this is I'm a bab stuffy on the scale of you know, virgos. I guess She's like, I don't like sitting here while this prick is out there attacking my sisters. And Benson says, Stabler is out there and he's going to get the perp. He hates when people hurt women. Bab says, that's Stabler's got the hots for you, and Benson's like, excuse me, like it gives her, like gives her like what that thought has never crossed my mind? What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Face?
Speaker 1: And she goes that's never gonna happen, and then Benson changes the subject and is like, so you've been marching and active for a while, like, and they start looking at a bunch of framed photos of Babs, like all over the wall, like at marches, in newspaper articles. She's like, yeah, I've been tear gas like she's been a fighter for the cause, you know, of lesbian rights. If not a little bit closed off, but lesbian writes, at least that's why it feels weird to her. She wants to be out there kicking ass, not hiding and feeling scared. So they're kind of having a bonding moment and Benson is like, you'll get through this, I promise, and pats her on the shoulder and goes, let's get something to eat. Suddenly Babs makes a move and tries to kiss Benson, and Benson's like, whoahoo, that's not on the menu, and Bab's like immediately is like, is it me like, and Benson's like, no, it's me, Like, I'm flattered, but I'm straight, honey, And she's like, don't let the haircut and the bootcut jeans fool you. I do love Dick, and Bab sells her you're like Ellen, Joan Crawford and Calamity Jane all rolled into one. And then she goes, if you can balance a check book, I'll throw in Sue's orman and you're right, this has to be fucking Kathy Griffin, like Kaddey Griffin has to be writing this shit like and although Calamity Jane and Joan Crawford are specifically I would say Neil Bear references like I bet he is a Joan Crawford stand and then but the Sue's ormon, I bet is a Kathy, But well, we'll find out. Babs like doesn't believe her when she says she's straight, and she's like, believe me. I know how hard it is to have conflicting feelings. But the heart wants what the heart wants. And Benson is saved at that moment by a knock on the door, and it is a police officer taking over the next shift. Benson grabs her coat, leaves, and she tells the new cop, who happens to be a cute young woman. She goes, if I were you, I'd stay outside. Like Babs is alone, scared and horny, she might come for you. So at the precinct, Benson and Stabler are going now through security footage of Rosemary's attack, and Benson, of course spots a tattoo on the purp's hand and they're like, yep, I've got morales trying to clean it up, even though we've heard now since that cleaning up images is kind of impossible.
Speaker 4: They're working on it.
Speaker 1: Benson gets serious and asks Stabler question. She's like, hey, ell, can I ask you? Do you ever get a gay vibe from me? And Stabler goes, would it matter if I did? And she's like, don't avoid the question. And he's like, well, you haven't had a luck with guys, and she's like, it's called being married to the job, dumbass, And then the phone rings, Benson answers and Stabler figures out.
Speaker 4: So it's like Stabler thinks she's a lesbian. It's very confusing.
Speaker 1: She knows he's she's he knows she's dated many many guys over the course of the last eleven seasons, so maybe he's like, I don't know, maybe give it a shot.
Speaker 4: I don't know what he's saying to her, but the phone rings. Benson picks up.
Speaker 1: Sabler's like, okay, Sabler basically figures out because of her asking that question that Babbs must have hit on her, and he goes, you get hit on I get hit So yeah, bitch, that's the dynamic, Like, no one wants to hit that beautiful face. People want to hit your people want to wipe that shitt, eat and grin off your face. As my dad used to say to us children. Uh uh oh. Olivia hangs up the phone. The purp just got shot at Babs Duffy's apartment. Bump, bum bum. They run to the scene of the crime, and the officer on duty, who Benson has just left at Bab's apartment, is explaining to them what went down. Babs went to bed. I was doing a walk around of the building. I saw a movement on the fire escape outside of Babs's window, and I saw this guy trying to get in.
Speaker 4: I shout it for him to stop.
Speaker 1: He was holding a tire iron, so I shot his ass and she literally shot his ass, like he got shot in the ass, he fell down and he got knocked out in the fall off the fire get again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're never gonna keep me down.
Speaker 1: Benson says, good work, and then Babs is wearing a coat. She's stressed. She's being consoled by Rosemary. There's a huge mob of people yelling and a gurney with.
Speaker 4: A shot perp on it.
Speaker 1: Sharon has been released aka Mitch and is blasting through the crowd screaming you killed Alyssa. She starts shaking the gurney and then flips it over basically as Babs looks onto this whole mob scene, very shaken.
Speaker 4: So shit is getting crazy.
Speaker 1: So now we're at the hospital and we're with the dude who's and he's been shot in the ass, and Stable's trying to sort of finesse the surfer doc into giving away this guy's DNA, like how about we just take a swab, right, And the guy's like, yeah, cool, as soon as I see a warrant and you know, he's.
Speaker 4: Like worth a shot. So they are kind of trying to show how police.
Speaker 1: Do go around the rules a lot of the time if they can, but there's some checks and balances, like Surfer Doc who don't let them. So they find out that this the purp that has been shot, does not have a tattoo, which, by the way, they've cleaned up and found out it's of a spider. So they examined the man's personal effects. They find a license. His name is Larry Luft. Plus they find something interesting on his phone. Next scene, we're talking to Babs Duffy like uh, look, showing her the phone and going looks like you knew the perpetrator. She goes, you think this guy is my boyfriend. She's like, Olivia, remember last night I tried to make out with you. I'm gay, And they're like so. Then one of them goes for a man hating lesbian. You seem awfully cuddly with Larry, and then Benson flashes a pick of Babs and Larry smooching on the phone, and Babs is like, fuck.
Speaker 4: What a twist, What a twist? Bab's a glace, yes.
Speaker 1: Babs is like, fuck, all right, listen, I still totally love women. Larry is my secret male lover and I just developed feelings for him. He came to one of our Lesbie Strong meetings and I liked that he was an ally I guess and I you know, I it's wild that she would even let herself like have a conversation with a man, but she ended up, you know, getting feelings for him. Stabler's like, I think this whole Lesbie Strong thing is a shtick to cover for you being in the reverse closet. And She's like, no, you cannot let my girls find out about that this. They would see it as a betrayal. And it's like, baby, you're by nothing to freak out about. And Stabler's like, oh, you're gonna come out in a big way. It's like fine being by, but when your whole thing is lesbian and yeah, and men are ridiculous and yeah. So at what feels like the ninth Lesbian rally in this episode, Rosemary is addressing the crowd.
Speaker 4: These lesbians have jobs.
Speaker 1: Geez, Seriously, there's so much poster making going on at all times. They have so many different rallies, posters and flyers, et cetera. Rosemary's addressing the crowd live is scanning and looking for a guy with a spider hand tattoo. Babbs addresses the crowd now and says, listen, I have to tell you guys something. The man they caught is not the rapist. She explains, he's someone who I know, and I'm in a relationship with this man. So she comes out as bisexual. Rosemary is like, looks like she's seen a ghost. She's like, is this a joke? She feels extremely betrayed, just as Babs predicted she would. The crowd starts to turn on her. One lady yells, we still love you, Babs. You just I watched with the captions on, so you can I really notice it. But I was like, One lady goes, not that big of a deal. What's the little man? Sometimes?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: She promises to now fight for everyone, gay men, trans people, by people, and then as she's you know, trying to get the crowd to not absolutely kill her, Elliott spots the man with a spider tattoo and it's done.
Speaker 5: Done.
Speaker 4: The print shop guy the right. Babs was right, believe women right.
Speaker 5: She was right.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a typo, not a fuck up, another flyer the type.
Speaker 4: I wasn't hate crime.
Speaker 1: This motherfucker was giving himself away with his typos.
Speaker 4: They go after.
Speaker 1: Him, being like just like an angry fly I maker. Seriously, they go after him. He tries to run, they arrest him obviously. So now he's in the precinct to This guy's name is Ronnie Watley. He's got He's like, I got nothing against lesbians. He's acting very innocent. Cabot and Olivia are watching this interrogation and Stabler's trying to get it out of him, and Cabot's like, why isn't he nailing this guy? And Lives like give him a second, and Cabot's like, look, there's no DNA, there's no witnesses. I really need this guy like barfing his confession all over Stabler's shoes and I'm not getting that right now, and then Lives like, ooh, I got an idea that could really.
Speaker 4: Move things along.
Speaker 1: So Olivia walks into the room like fucking Sandy from Grease leather Jacket, basically smoking a cigarette, going what's up stead, and she's in like full lesbian cosplay, like swagger in her step. She and Elliott immediately go into their sexually charged hate play that they love to do, where he's like, what do you get out of here?
Speaker 4: And she's like, no, come on, let me let me have a shot at the guy.
Speaker 1: And she's like and he goes, this is too personal for you, and she goes, big, girls, don't cry, come on, let me have him. So then Stabler leaves, Benson takes off her leather jacket throws it on the table. You know, it's like very hilarious, and then Live starts antagonizing Ronnie going, oh, you just like never get any action because you're kind of ugly and you have a lame fucking job. And she's just like baiting him about how lesbians are out there having all the fun, being hot, chilling at the kitty corner, having a blast, and they're all having fun around him and he's not having any fun. And Benson does like everything she can to play into this guy's hostility towards lesbian. She's like, I bet you want to grab me and bend me over and make me a real woman with.
Speaker 4: What's between your legs, it's really weld.
Speaker 1: She's like, she's like very sexually coming on to him kind of in a way, and then he finally cracks and pushes her hand onto his Dick going and you love it just like those other two did.
Speaker 4: Every moment of it.
Speaker 1: Boom, there's a confession and she goes goodbye, Ronnie, and then he calls her a bitch a bunch of times as she just like sashe is out of the room, and it's kind of one of the greatest Olivia Benson scenes, I would say of all time. So then Babs enters the squad room happy for once, and she's like, you got him, and Stabler goes, she got him with one hell of a performance, I think.
Speaker 4: So he's still like, I don't know, you might be gay.
Speaker 1: Benson like, he's still like, I guess that was a performance, but maybe you love women. And I know you know she's a lesbian icon Benson. So it's I think it's never too late. We're about to enter season twenty six. Make it happen. Benson asks if the lesbians are still furious with Babs, and she goes, well, about a tenth of them are still cool with me, but Lesbie Strong will be back. I'm opening it up to everyone so it can be a real LGBTQIA organization, and then Benson goes, well, a is for ally, so you can count us in and I think probably a lot of LGBBQ people are like, no, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's very sexual.
Speaker 1: But Larry unfortunately is no longer an ally and getting shot in the ass made him rethink his commitment to Babs, so they are no longer an item. And Babs also, why are you She couldn't send him a text that's like, hey, by the way, there's cops on my door, don't try to sneak up my fire escape or whatever. So Babs thanks Olivia for making her come clean about who she really is.
Speaker 4: She always apologies.
Speaker 1: She also apologizes for the awkward lunge and says my gadar must have been off lol, but also tells Benson you are incredibly hot and it's like, duh, the show is kind of built around that concept, and Benson is like, Benson's like, no problem, Babs, We'll see you around and Stabler cracks every time we turn on the TV. And Babs is like, okay, I guess I owe your huge ass and apology as well. I was pretty bitchy to you, she says, and he goes right back at you, and then she goes Stabler one more thing, Grabs him and gives him a long smooch that he does not pull away from, by the way, at all. They have more than a peck, like a couple of seconds long kiss, and then she goes call me sometime and walks out, and I admit, I am laughing. I admit that this is reverse sexism because if obviously a purp did this to Olivia Benson, I would be not a purpose.
Speaker 2: Well and not reverse because she did do it to Olivia Benson.
Speaker 1: She tried it on Olivia Benson. Yes, that's true, she tried. She did it for both of them, yes, but I would say with Olivia she thought it was more of a she was actually hitting on her, And with Stabler, I think she is doing it to a nerve him, like she is doing it to piss him off. So like, you know, I wouldn't want like some asshole to do that to Benson, but I am laughing that it's happening to Stabler. And then as she walks out of the room, the camera has Benson just like armed cross like hell yeah, nod like and a huge smile and like there goes my hero by the foo fighter starts playing in my mind and bab Duffy, what an icon. She got to kiss Stabler and almost kiss Benson. She got to lunch at Benson and kiss Stabler.
Speaker 2: So amazing, say, the funniest performance on SVU, Like because even the comics that go on the show, it's serious performances. Yeah, serious things didn't happen here, but it was the last things happened.
Speaker 1: And I do think she is good in the dramatic parts where like she's scared, or like she finds out that the rapist has a message short. It was very funny too, but in a different in a different way, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Or we just had Nicol Sullivant and we talked to her about how funny she like she was still bringing humor to the character, whereas I feel like Babs has a lot of one liners. But we also found out that this role was essentially created for her, which we'll get more into later or I don't know if we talk about it now.
Speaker 4: I'll get to the crimes. I'll get to the crimes. That's that's what we're here for.
Speaker 2: I know there's people that only listen to our podcasts and don't watch the show, but like I would watch the Cathy Griffin episode. Yeah, PC because that little goth girl in the beginning, which like the sex is really good and she's amazing too, like they're all like very very good. This is one that if you don't want the girl, you know, obviously there's a murder and so it's just a little less graphic then.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Considering our last episode, dick Wolf even said to Nicole Sullivan, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that guy should go down by the way for murder because he left her bleeding there, like not even an anonymous phone call to nine one one to help her, like she was just bleeding, Like he didn't mean to kill her, but she just left this poor woman like bleeding out and she has a clotting disorder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he will be charged with murder maybe like second degree or something, you know, but I don't think a manslaughter.
Speaker 4: It's like you did want to know her.
Speaker 1: When you kill somebody in the commission of another crime, yeah, it's pretty bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well all right, now it's time so mean some crimes.
Speaker 5: Baby.
Speaker 4: Well, this isn't crime.
Speaker 2: This is about the Lesbian Avengers feminist organization. So I'll just give a quick little overview before I get to a little bit of a c the crime, which is more about the satanic of it all than Okay, you know, a flyer guy flying off the handle.
Speaker 4: So a bigoted man who makes posters, okay.
Speaker 2: So the Lesbian Avengers began in New York City duh, nineteen ninety two, and they were as like a direct action group focused on issues vital to lesbian survival and visibility. The founders were six longtime lesbian activists who were involved in a variety of different LGBT plus groups. Anna Simo, Sarah Schulman, Maxine Wolf and Christine Dudeski, Marie Honan and Anne McGuire. So those are the fabulous six. And Anna Simo was frustrated at the lesbian invisibility and got her girls together to not just you know, talk about stuff, but focus on high impact street activism. Their first action was on September ninth, nineteen ninety two in Queens where some right wing nuts were trying to suppress a multi cultural like children Rainbow curriculum thing for kids, and so they had a protest with the Board of Education. And just like a lot of protests, their biggest thing that has like the longestwithstanding action would be the Dyke March and that was created on the eve of the Gay March on Washington in nineteen ninety three, and it got together twenty thousand lesbians and it's always the like night before the Gay Parade is the Dick March, and so that's like their biggest legacy. The Avengers developed a civil rights or organizing project that was rooted in grassroots activism that not only fought homophobic initiatives, but worked to train activists for the long term, and they spread to a national level. So each chapter set up their own priorities. So some worked, you know with like anti gay initiatives, some against the religious ray and others like the KKK and stuff like that depends what impacted their community the most. Above all, they're like, the big thing is action that reflected their commitment to challengeing homophobic stereotypes and you know the role the media played in all those stereotypes. They did a lot of fire eating and it became a symbol for lesbian Avengers. It started because they wanted to bring attention to a tragedy that happened to Hattie may Cohens and Brian Mock, who in nineteen ninety one were burned to death in Salem, Oregon after amolotov cocktail was tossed into their apartment that they shared, and so that made people.
Speaker 4: Protest and fiery, and it became kind of a symbol.
Speaker 2: And there's a documentary if you want to know more, called The Lesbian Avengers Eat Fire Too, made in nineteen ninety three, so it was about the first year of it coming together. So yeah, cool, cool, ahead of its time. Group of people that wanted to positively impact lesbians and society as a whole. And I think that's what the Apple aggressives were based on. And then this next case is the case Elise Paler and the related lawsuits against the metal band Slayer. So this is more about the devil, like the Red Herring, it's about what I'm not just talking about the devil.
Speaker 4: This is the red Herring.
Speaker 2: So Elise was a young girl who was murdered in a quote sacrifice to the devil, and then her parents tried suing the band's Slayer for their contribution to her death. Oh my god, I know, but grieving does things to people. Yeah, I'm kind of okay with it. David and Lisa Anne raised their daughter in a royo Grande, California, and she attended a Royo Grande High School. She was described as a wonderful person who was loving, vibrant, enthusiastic, encouraging, and gentle. On July twenty second, nineteen ninety five, unfortunately, she was reported missing at fifteen years old. For eight months, the case was cold, nobody could find a trace of where she had gone. There was nothing. And then a confession. So Royce Casey was a seventeen year old and he confessed this crime to a clergy person. The clergy person and Casey then contacted law enforcement, and Casey described the crime to detectives and led them to Elice Poller's body.
Speaker 1: So, wow, this priest or something must have like or none or whoever it was, must have convinced him to come forward, right, yeah?
Speaker 2: Or did it? I found conflicting things in the same paper. Actually, but some said the clergyman went to the cops, and then multiple sources said that the boy did on his own.
Speaker 4: So I just said that, you know, together they went, you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, Yeah, I'm not sure about their enter car. Usually one of them just calls Elliott stable or because they know him. Personally and then he does some investigating. Yeah, so I'm not really sure how it like exactly went down. But he also gave up the other two teenagers who committed the crime with him, and that was sixteen year old Jacob Deli Shmat and fifteen year old Joseph Farrella Casey. Not only like was the guilt on him, like he just you know, edgar Allan Poe vibes, like could not live with himself. He was also scared that his two friends might kill him and was not really chill with the friends. So yeah, he was terrified that they would shut him up. He was feeling bad about what he did because it's the worst thing ever, and so I'm glad he did confess. He then led police to the partially mummified remains of a Lease only a quarter of a mile from her home. I'm sorry for eight months the police could not find this body a quarter of a mile. I mean, same with like Casey Anthony, Like Kaylee Anthony was found so close to their home. Same with Chandra Levy. She was found so close to where she went missing, like not not half a mile. I don't think you know, like these people, like it's so crazy. It's like, are the dogs not working?
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's so it's eight months. It's like, what they fuck?
Speaker 2: So the boys were arrested in charge with murder, gang involvement, raped towards sure and conspiracy. According to Casey. He and this is according to him and his testimony. So he made a plan with Fiilla and Delishmid and they all claim that they did it as a sacrifice to the devil to give their newly formed metal band the craziness to make.
Speaker 4: It big, the craziness.
Speaker 2: Furilla denied Casey's version of events, but admitted to being the first to stab her. And he's quoted by The Tribune, I wish it never happened. Since it's happened, I always wish that God can bring her back to life. I can imagine how her family must feel.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I wish she thought of that before. Doug odom from the DA's office. He's the chief investigator, he said. When he asked Casey why they committed the murder, he said in quotes, it was to receive power from the devil to help them play guitar better. By making this perfect sacacrifice to the devil, they would gain more craziness or nuts that would make them play harder, play faster, and by making this perfect sacrifice to the devil, it might help them go professional. Like you guys couldn't have just tried monster energy drink like come on or practice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they picked you know.
Speaker 2: There was I don't know if we talked about this, but someone was talking about Wayne Gretzky and how some dad went up to him once was like, hey, can you give my son advice like how to practice and blah blah and do this and that my son's being going to like give advice Wayne grett And then he gave some bullshit advice and then when the kid walked away, Wayne Greats, he was like, wa. Wayne Gretzky was like, when I was a kid, you'd have to pull me off the ice, you would. You would have to like, yeah, grab me and take me away? Like what are you talking about? That's how I feel when people ask advice on how to do comedy. I'm like, I don't know if you don't want it bad enough to find a figure it out?
Speaker 4: Like is this for you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: But I just think about this, like they really wanted to be musicians, but they didn't want to practice and put in the work.
Speaker 4: I hate them. Okay.
Speaker 2: They picked a Lease because she was blonde haired and blue eyed virgin, and they thought those characteristics would make her the ultimate sin against God, which doesn't make sense to me, but neither does anything else that they thought.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again this is according to Casey's confession to the police, that they lured her over there to smoke some weed to Nipomo Mesa eucalyptus grove, and then Dela Schmidt attacked Elise from behind with a belt wrapped around her neck and he began to strangle her while Faiella began stabbing her in the neck with a hunting knife.
Speaker 4: This is really very graphic and terrible and.
Speaker 2: It's really sad, and she's so young, and like, oh, the other boys got into the stabbing as well, and then it didn't end there. So while she was bleeding out, the three of them beat and kicked her body as she prayed to God for help and called out to her mother like so many victims do. And then they just watched her slowly bleed to death from the twelve to fifteen stab wounds.
Speaker 4: And then, according to I know.
Speaker 2: And then, according to court records from the San Louis Obispo Tribune, it's called the Tribune, and it's like, honey, there are other tribunes, and just do that. Can you give it a little flare? I have to fucking Saint Louis Obyspo the Tribune. As Paler moaned on the ground, Casey stomped on the back of her neck. I mean, these are like horrific people. And he and she was dead within fifteen to twenty minutes, which sounds excruciatingly long, like with the torture, and that it was just a slow, painful situation and unfortunately the torture did not end when she died though, like yeah, the police were able to determine she was raped by one of them after she was dead. And then fairy Ella's mother told police that her son told her that it was the other two that raped her. But I don't know if you would like tell your mom that you raped somebody, right, He was like, I just watched they raped, and it's like, I'm sure you raped too.
Speaker 4: Means nothing to me, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Then appear from school told the cops that del Schmidt was actually like bragging about it and said that he returned back to the to do necrophilia again. And according I know, and according to court document, said that Delischmidt started to pull off Paler's pants when it was clear she was dead, noting that the boys had already chatted about having sex with her corpse like that was part of the Plano Casey even though he is a monster, did tell them that they should leave instead of raping the corpse. So I guess let's give him a medal of the best of the three murderers. They buried her in a shallow grave and left the area. That's another thing. So it's like close to her house in a shallow grave like no o, okay? And then so directly after Lisa's murder, her parents filed a lawsuit against the band Slayer. They alleged that their songs post Mortem and Dead skin Mask gave the three killers detained instructions to stalk, rape, torture, murder, and commit acts of necrophilia against Elise. The lawsuit was filed in nineteen ninety six, but was delayed until after the murder trial, which did not until two thousand.
Speaker 4: It was thrown out.
Speaker 2: As you can imagine, the judges quoted by medium dot com saying there's not uh, there's not a legal position that could be taken that would make Slayer responsible for the girl's death. Where do you draw the line. You might as well start looking through the library of every book on the shelf.
Speaker 4: And it's like spoiler alert. We are as a culture. They are not. They are not reading.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if they might be maybe also fired file the lawsuit to get more eyes on the crime, Like maybe they knew like that it would just bring more press to it, and maybe these kids could not get away with it. I don't know, because that does seem but also, like you said, when people are grieving, they do wild things.
Speaker 2: But also that didn't deter The parents were not deterred, and the Paler parents filed a second most lawsuit that claimed Slayer knowingly distributed harmful materials to miners, and it was dismissed again. The teens actually also tried to blame their crime on death Metal and that that's where they got the idea to sacrifice the virgin as part of a devil worshiping ritual. And if no one, if you have not seen Jennifer's body, I was suggest watching it. If you're into a not real horrific version of what is happening here, that would be a fun option for you.
Speaker 4: But the parents did receive justice for their daughter's crime.
Speaker 2: Casey pled no contest to first degree murder and was sentenced to life with a minimum of twenty one years with an opportunity for parole. Deli Schmidt also pled no contest to first degree murder and was sentenced to life, but with a minimum of twenty six years possibility of parole, and Fiorella reached a plea agreement in which she pled guilty to first degree murder in exchange for a sentence of life with a minimum of twenty six years. And they took rape off the table here because he pled guilty.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: David Palor, Elisa's father, said at the court hearing that it's a parent's worse fear and lifetime plan to outlive their child. It's even worse knowing she was murdered, tortured, and raped as a virgin's sacrifice on the altar of Satan so that you can earn.
Speaker 4: A ticket to Hell. I just thought that was poetic.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 2: There's a photo of Joseph Ferrella looking back at the Paler family before walking out of the courtroom March nineteen eighty seven. And he looks so young, like babyface, but all shackled up and an orange jumpsuit, but also dead in the eyes. But it's an intense photo because he does just look so fucking young. Yeah, And Casey was up for parole in twenty twenty one, and members of the Paler family, including Elisa's father, said they actually didn't oppose his release since he has expressed remorse over the years and did lead the police to her body. The family does oppose any type of parole for dal Schmidt and Fierrella in prison. This Casey guy, he got his ged and working towards a college degree and was on all these programs in education, and it's like, yeah, these are all things at lease did not get a chance to do. And I believe in rehabilitation and being able to do things in jail and stuff. But it is like, yeah, cool, she didn't get to graduate high school. He was a model prisoner, could be hey behavior. But the parole was actually denied by Governor Gavin Newsom in July twenty twenty one after the DA Dan Dawe wrote a letter to new Some being like absolutely not that Casey had never adequately explained why he had participated in such a statistic and heinous crime. But then the superior court judge overturned the decision the following June and granted him parole. So June sixth, twenty twenty two, San Luis Obispo County Superior Court Judge Craig van Ruyan granted Casey's petition, saying fuck you to Newsom, and he was able to reverse it using some sort of habeas corpus petition And that's from legally blonde, so that's cool. And they said he was not the same human being as the child that committed the crime twenty seven years ago. But after three years of legal proceedings, Governor Gavin Newsom said no, fuck you and reverse the parole board's decision for a second time.
Speaker 4: And that was March twenty twenty four. So he's back in jail and I don't want him to go.
Speaker 2: He's still at Valley State Prison and chow Chilla and knew some in quotes said in this Tribune, mister Casey must better understand the internal processes that led him to commit the crime and hone the skills he will need to manage them beyond the controlled environment of prison. And that was in an open letter that was sent to the DA's office. He found him that he still he knew some basically thinks that he still poses an unreasonable danger to society if released. I read all his pleas to the parole board and it all reads very well like he knows what he's doing. But Ed Kemper was able to trick all the psychologists at this at the jail. You know, it's like really hard because I believe in growth.
Speaker 1: And change and when you're young and andre or whatever, like I unders I believe in that so much, but I just don't trust all the stuff.
Speaker 4: He said everything correct, He said everything correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's hard to it's hard. But his next hearing is from March twenty twenty five. And then fear Ella's still at the High Desert State Prison and his next hearing is June twenty twenty six, and that'll be a parole suitability hearing.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 2: And then Dela Schmidt is at the Correctional Training Facility in California and his next opportunity for parole is January sixteenth, that's my dad and your husband's birthday, So that's in twenty twenty five, so that'll be a parole suitability hearing as well. So those are two pendings, so in the next couple of years they'll be up for parole again, all of them.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 4: It is kind of like it is kind of like, yeah they were teens.
Speaker 1: It was they were young, but like it's pretty violent, like and going back and raping the corpse. Yeah, yeah, just zero zero what is it called, like respect for human life? A fitted like oh horrible, horrible, Well, thank you for researching that. I'm I'm glad there's not a bigoted copy shop owner, but not happy to hear that there were psycho teams really listening to.
Speaker 4: Metal and like her, she looks just so young and.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, well you know it wasn't going to be our two hundredth episode without a crime. That kind of makes you very sad. So let's get to our iconic guest. Our guest today. We don't need to even introduce her. She is a comedy legend. She's a stand up comedian and the star of I would say one of the most influential reality shows My Life on the d List, but you know her today as lesbian activists and recently out bisexual bab Stuffy. Please enjoy our chat with the legendary Kathy Griffin.
Speaker 4: Hello, what a dream?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, bab.
Speaker 1: A dream so like for our listeners, like, we obviously have been wanting to get you for this episode forever, never thought it would be possible, so excited to have you. And then as we're doing our research, we're like, oh my god, there's a full My Life on the d List episode which both of us watched. That is a behind the scenes of you talking to Neil Bhart, who's been on our podcast twice, talking to Noel Bear, him saying he wrote this part for you. You you going to set with your assistance, you trying to talk to the wardrobe people and change your eyes and like running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like so was it a lot more serious than you really anticipated?
Speaker 5: So it was, to this day the hardest action gig I've ever read.
Speaker 4: Wow, I was.
Speaker 5: I was fearful because as any fan of the show, you know, they have like these Tony winners on week after week and these highly trade My god, you know, Carol Burnett won an Emmy and Margaret had done the show, Robin Williams had done the show, and so the legacy was there. And I still say it was the hardest eleven days I ever worked. Wow, curious Gary, I don't be hard like they weren't nice to me. I mean, it's really freaky intoity and.
Speaker 2: They work fat so how much like on the deal List there was a thing where they kept being like cut, cut, cut, and the light and all that. Was that editing or was it really like oh fuck, I'm like I'm taking too long and they're mad at me.
Speaker 4: Oh oh no.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: First of all, what was happening was my Bravo show, very low budget, non uian cable show, My Life on the d List had get permission. First of all, I remember it was a big deal. My agent had to call Dick Wolf, the creator personally and beg bright the Ding Ding, beg for it because there's a whole thing where we weren't allowed to use it and they don't like when other people steal it. And because Bravo was owned by NBC Universal, which of course ran and still runs Low and Order, and so that was like a big victory when they said, okay, you can do your little D list spoof and we'll give you the authentic sounds, and having to go back and forth between, you know, choosing to be funny and when we were doing the behind the scenes stuff but then having to really act, which I had not done. And I actually don't act all that much anymore because I've been doing such so much reality stuff and stand up, and so that muscle of mine was definitely out of shape. I still cringe when I think of how I kept a crew there late and kept the cast late, like because I just either couldn't get the lines right or I couldn't get the way to turn my head. And I remember Dan Flourke, the captain, was so lovely and he's a fellow Chicago in and he would pull me aside and be like, you're doing great. Do you want to run lines? And I, you know, knew Marishka for a long time because I don't know if you guys know this, but the way I met Marishka is I used to teach Imbrov comedy at the very famous theater in Los Angeles, the Groundlings Theater on Melrose in Los Angeles, which is where I was trained. And I was in their company and I was doing shows there every weekend as part of an ensemble, and that's how I met her, long before Law and Order. But here's here's the kicker. In INMBROV classes, there's a game that you guys are par familiar called the trust exercise, where the class is in a circle and one by one the students go in the mid middle, close their eyes and trust that when you fall back, the class catches you. So we're doing it. Everyone's everyone's learning what it is to trust your fellow actor on stage and all the reasons that's important. So sir, enough, it comes to Murshika and somebody says something and the person like turns ahead and she falls on her like t bone, and I'm the teacher. And then here's the worst part. I start to get the nervous giggles because I'm so freaked out that it like take it manifest Felvin away, where I kept kept adding to stop I still from burst out laughing because I was so mortified that as the teacher, this happened on my watch. And God, lover she the fact that she even still speaks to me is amazing. I cut to all these years later, she's you know wildly famous and winning every award as she should. And I'm on set and I cannot tell you how many times she would say like we'd struggle and I was ruining take after take after take, and Chris and Marishika were are a perfect every time, every time, the whole cast was always perfect. And I, you know, every time I had a scene was like, cut back to one, miss Cravin, you need five minutes, and I'd be like, yes, I'd go run lines again or whatever. And one time Marishka comes up to me, sheels, do you want me to just tell you what they want and show you? And I go yes, because in the agazine world, you're not supposed to do that, right, It's called giving someone a line reading, and it's supposedly a big no no. And I was like, dear God, yes, I'm so out of my element. And Marishia said, Okay, on this symbol, I'm this syllable. Turn your head to the left and I'm this syllable point with your right finger and then turn back to the right. They want this much emotion on this sentence, with this much emotion on this one. And she would help me like that, like whenever I was like the one responsible for keeping them later than they should have all gone home earlier.
Speaker 1: That episode, that's you could not tell I'm not even I'm really like not giving you just a compliment because you're here.
Speaker 4: You could not tell like you're great in that episode.
Speaker 5: Like, I was just watching it because I haven't watched it since it came out, so I thought i'd better bone up a little bit. Yeah, I'm gonna just say because it's been literally decades, you know, they they gave me what's called a really good editor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 5: I haven't watched the episode in all these years because I thought I would cringe too much. But I was just watching and now they really covered my ass, like they somehow. Well, first of all, the director, I'm to win an Oscar an Oscar and he okay, So I have to tell you something. So there's a scene I had with just Chris and Marishka and I just kept screwing it up. And it's the scene where I confess that I'm not really just a lesbian bisexual and I subbed the guy.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: So I can't remember if the scene had crying or not. I just know it was a lot of lines for this lady right here, and I kept screwing it up, and then I was improvising a lot yes, and Chris kept stopping, going what what'd you say? Like he would he was started cutting himself, going what are you doing? And then finally I was confused by his reaction because I had run into Robin Williams in real life about three weeks earlier, and I said, hey, I'm going to do an episode of Law and Order and I know you did one. He may have even won an Emmy if he was nominated, for sure, And I go, do you have any tips? And he goes, oh, yeah, yeah, just improvised. They're not like hardcore about the line oh my god, well, my dear dear departed friend Raby Williams set me up. And I'm like, of course, I gave him so much crack when I saw him again. But I said that to Chris and Mrishka because then I thought they were being sort of unprofessional, like even on the improvising app of Storm, and I'm thinking, you know, moving the scene forward or whatever I thought, and then finding Chris goes, why did it just keep saying things that are in the script, and I go because I talked to Rob Moynes about it, and he said, I can improvise, and you guys aren't like into the words being a lot of perfect and Maloney goes, no, that's the case, and I go but Robin said, you guys improvise a lot, like every episode, so there's a lot of improvise in the lines, and he goes, no, never one episode. And then it was like, oh, I didn't even memorize this scene, like I had some of the bullet points, and then it was like a stop down where then I had to go run that. I mean, by the end of the episode, I think Marishia wanted to adopt me and put me in some sort of protective care And Chris Maloney was like he would say shit to me, like, yeah, that was funny the first time like that because at that point he had not won an Emmy for this show. So I was such a bitch that I would bring my two Emmys that I won for My Life on the d list, and I would put them in a different place in his office or dressing room every day, Like if I knew he had a wardrobe fitting, I'd run in there with my emmys and I'd make sure they were right, like next to his outfit, or I'd get in earlier than him and I'd run and put him on his desk in his office to close the door. And yes, the first time he thought it was funny and the whole crew laughed. But you know, the way to really make a bit work is you beat it till it's dead, especially with someone like Chris Maloney, who all my gays have lost their mind for from Oz and all my nerd friends love from White on American Summer. Yeah, so he's the perfect target for me. So that's what PROMP did, the famous him yelling in front of the crew.
Speaker 1: It was funny the first time, but I also love that this like also informs the relationship you guys had your characters on set, Like you guys were like banging heads the whole time.
Speaker 5: You know, Well, he obviously was attracted to me and didn't help to handle it. And that's his problem because I have a sex appeal that regardless of I've I'm playing a lesbian or you know. But it is funny as I rewatch you know the episode man that Inning team, Well, how they made my shitty acting come together and I'm watching it now going, how did the other actors even keep a straight face? Oh wow, they just start laughing at me.
Speaker 2: That's a big thing because in my life on the D List, you said, Neilbert wrote this with you in mine, but we assumed you improvised so much because it was so funny and great and okay, so yeah, we're yeah, we did not like.
Speaker 4: You said, for a while.
Speaker 5: I wore them down, you guys, Okay, yeah, Look, seriously, this is a union show. And I remember one night I think they had to stay like an extra two hours because I kept screwing up. Sure enough, the director came over in that scene where I had described how Robin Williams said, go ahead and improvise, and the director said to Chris Maloney, look, I'm going to do a couple of takes where just to calm her down, I'm gonna let her improvise. And remember Marishka was my rowling in BROV student, so Mauritian knows how to improvise. And she was actually fine. And sure enough, the scene that I improvised was the one that made it in because at least I was like comfortable, and so maybe it was passable.
Speaker 1: Like there's a scene where you meet him on this you meet them on the street and you call him Assi mcbig pants, And I was like, that just feels like something that Kathy Griffin came up with as opposed.
Speaker 5: To take credit because people love that line, but it was written by Neil and Dan Truly was the other writer. And I don't know which, either Neil Bayer or Dan Truly wrote that Assy mcbig pants. The first scene that I shot was an outdoor scene with Jess Benson and Stabler and they were getting out of a car or about to get in a car, and I come out of the building and I do the scene and they say cut and they say, you know, back to one. So I'm like, of course, we'll do take two. And I thought, okay, yeah, you did it. You got through your first scene. You may not, you know, get an Academy award, but you held your own. You did it. And Maloney turns to me and goes, I'm Stabler, she's Benson. You called me Benson and her Stabler, And I go, well, which is which which? Because I knew that would piss them off. So he just like gets into the car and slams the door in real life, so I just lived, like to this day, I have his number and I'll just text him like every two years just to buck with them, and he never responded for some reason.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I'm upsessed. Oh my god, I named my.
Speaker 5: I named two of my four dogs Olivia Benson, Elliott Stabler.
Speaker 2: Oh Benson bracelet right here, right there, always ready. So people come on the show and they always say like, Marishka's so funny, Stablor so are like as a comic, are they really funny?
Speaker 5: And oh they're not coming?
Speaker 4: Yeah funny, because that's the one thing.
Speaker 2: People are like, she's hysterical, and I'm like, I bet, but yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: They're definitely funny for dramatic actors because it is it's amazing. It's dazzling to see how soon they go from hut after like a very serious interrogation scene to coofing around with each other. And you know, the kind of cool thing about the back stuffy episode, as I call it, is they really went there with the are they or aren't they going to do it? Are? You know? She says to Benson, Stabler has the hats for you, and Benson's like, never gonna happen now, I hope you know that Dick will cut out the full on kiss between Murushka and myself.
Speaker 1: We didn't know until we saw it on the d List episode. You were watching it with your mom and you were like, they cut out the.
Speaker 5: Kiss, and Neil bar was very upset and Dan Truell and they wrote the episode. And to this day, I only ran into Dick one time after that, but I would love to ask him because I heard that. He personally said, no, it's too far, and I was like, not for bad to Duffy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also not for SVU and also I may.
Speaker 5: Be the only guest star in the history of the show who got to make out with both of that. Oh yes, because they left the kiss with Chris Maloney in, but they cut out the Chris with Murcia Carte.
Speaker 4: It's so good. It's the kiss with Chris where you're like, call me some John, it's so good, John.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, wait, you were talking about Marishka and Chris being part of your show. Well we have to talk about Ic being part of your show. He's in there a little bit where you guys do a full reenactment with a body and you talk about anal tearing or something.
Speaker 5: I mean like I fell in love with him. I fell in love with him because first of all, I know him more as shit, So it was almost I had to adjustice seeing him in the acting environment, even though he I would argue, was on that show longer than he was putting out records, But he was so gay to play on My Life on the dal List. We were in heaven because you know, you you hope and you pray for somethoint like that, and we're like, man, if we can get any cast members to like really goof off and not be afraid they're going to get in trouble from their bosses or the network or whatever. So yeah, when we shot a mock episode from My Life on the d List and Iced Tea was definitely the star.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It's an amazing button to that episode.
Speaker 5: But I just remember thinking, like, what a pro, Like he's so used to doing this coming from a wrap background, and he's just on the job and solid, take after take after take. That's what I still can't get over. How every crew member, whether it's the person you know, the grip who's carrying the wire or the gaffer who's putt in the tape here, every person was so on their game from doing it week after week after week, and you won't find more hardworking people anywhere. And I hate that Hollywood gets a bad rap when it comes to a show as good as SBU, because God, they were so harm from the writers all the way down to the production assistant, everybody in between. And then to think that Maurushka and Chris have to deal with a new God forbid Kathy Griffin every episode, Like you know, because I asked Murcia Merchka about different people, like what was Karl Burnette like? And I remember Mrshka saying she doesn't want to come to set till ten am, like she's Cara Burnette. Let her coming new I who care? And she went on to win an Emmy, which she deserved. And I don't remember the name of the actor, but she told me about one actor they had where before every scene he would hit himself and go do it dummy, Do it dummy. And to this day, I walk around in life just it's like a private joke with myself or find somewhere I'll just go do it dummy, do it dummy. And I always remember because she and Chris would turn to each other randomly and go do it dummy. And finally I said, what are you guys talking about. Oh, Matthew Lillard that we did we need him.
Speaker 4: He did not mention that he's in the episode.
Speaker 5: Do it do it dummy? Yeah, And so to tell it to this day, I walk around, go do it dummy, and that's just look, I'm not I know comics.
Speaker 4: I don't know like real actors yea.
Speaker 5: And so it was just fascinating for me to see like hardcore actors day in and day out. But like I said, the way Chris Mushka, I have to deal with the personality of me right where I'm like, oh my gosh, I can barely keep my line straight. And then Matthew Lillard preps in that very unique way. Guess who was the guest star after my episode. Sharon Stowe.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she did a little arm Harlowe.
Speaker 5: So I tried to scare Maloney and this was so much fun. I told Schery later. I was like, you know, I know Sharon pretty well, and trust me, you are going to work around her and her schedule. And I was hitting him so hard that by the end he was like, well, let me tell you something. When she shows up on that she didn't go real fast. Then we went up with a movie star behavior, like I was so evil, Like any chance I could get to fuck with him, I had to.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I feels like it works. It seems like you really knew how to get his ass.
Speaker 5: I mean I was doing it for the character natural, yes, of course.
Speaker 1: Well the thing is is, like I know they you're like they gave you a good editor or whatever, but I really did think you did a really good job of Yeah, you're this bossy bitch.
Speaker 4: I'm sure like that. You know, you can channel the comedian.
Speaker 1: In you to do that. But then there's like a part, like the part with Marishka, where you're like really scared, Like I really felt that from you, Like and in the Dalist episode, I was.
Speaker 5: Crying because, like I said, I was crying because I was thinking how over my head was. So you're right, the crying scene I was nervous about. But then when it came time to do it, I had planted to cry a fall.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, like because even the way that Liza Manelli, by the way, iconic that you just for your what you call your dinky little non union reality show, you get Eliza Minelli to come on and be your acting coach for this episode.
Speaker 5: That was like, was amazing. First of all, she was also on lawng Order. You know that, Yes, and so we when we got to go to Liza Bonellie's freaking apartment and she's she's smoking a city. She changed clothing. I remember I changed just well. And I remember my assistant, who to this day says, like, of all, she was my assistant for seven years. Their name is Tiffany.
Speaker 1: She was on.
Speaker 5: Yes, and she's like, I've seen Liza ben Ellie's vagina, and I was like, that's my girl. Because Liza and I being old timey show folk, when it's time to change clothes, we're just like used to be assistant being there or whatever. And it was so funny. Liza changes her clothes pants off, there's Tiffany like do I turn away? And I'm like, no, he's one of us.
Speaker 4: No amazing, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting getting acting advice from a freaking Academy Award winner who also had been on the show was like chef's kiss.
Speaker 1: I do have a question. You know this set you were in pulp fiction, one of my faves. You don't want to I carried pulp Fiction.
Speaker 5: I pulp Fiction won the palm door I can because of my three lines. But go ahead with your insults.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I was just gonna say, you know, he seems very serious, and I was wondering, like what set was more serious, I guess, or maybe I don't even know what a Quentin set was.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 5: You know, first of all, the Quentin set, he is very LetterPerfect, So thank god I only had three lines. So even though I met Quentin because he was really close friends with Julia Sweeney, who was It's pat On snl and in the Cings comedy Troupe. So one thing that's a weird fun fact is that there are five groundlings in pulp fiction. Like the guy that plays the game, the little scene I'm in where Marcellus bing Raims wakes up after Bruce Willis hit him in the car, and there's not a girl named Karen Mariama. She was a groundling and it was really cool. Quentin came to see a growling show and gave five of us parts. Julia played Harvey Kaiitel's girlfriend. And you know, like I said, the gift, you okay, okay, you never saw space, but his name is Steve Eberts, and so that was also unheard of for like how many improv people would be in like a legit movie. But yeah, that set was also scary because I know Clinton is a perfectionist. And also, you know, he wrote every word. And when I went out with them, not for a long time, everybody went out with them, like four times. But one thing he used to do that was really cool is he would call me when he was writing pulp fiction and be like, can I read you some pages at three in the morning, And I'd go, yes, yes, you can. And it was dazzling. How when I then went to like the cast and cruise screening of the finished product, he had to change almost nothing from the original draft. That dialogue was that good. Wow, So I thought he read me these scenes months and months ago, and now he's working with you know, Christopher Walker and John Garolta and Numa Thurman and who knows who's left, And sure enough, most of that dialogue was the same as the night he wrote it. He just has it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. I honestly want to talk about you know, we can. We want to talk about more about your career outside of us to you, if that's okay with you, we are I mean, I'm tour now.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to see your tour. I mean I think we're both like very excited to see how great you're doing after all of the bullshit, after.
Speaker 5: Seven years of shit. Yes, like I after the former president of the United States opened an investigation on me at the best of the Attorney General of the United States put me on the no fly list, the Inner Polist, and the Five Eyes List, which is the terror watch list.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And I was interrogated under oath by two federal agencies within the DOJ, the US Attorney's Office and the Secret Service, and they were very seriously considering charging me with the crime of conspiracy to assassinate the President of the United States. So when I hear all these other comments, especially the guy Kromits bitching about maybe I was canceled. Okay, first of all, you probably have it coming, like whipping your dick out, and don't be a Holocaust denier or some crazy shit. I took a protest phono, which some people think was funny, some people think was graphic. I just was trying to shake the people up. But you know, the lake that it went to was just it unmatched in history. And I'm not putting myself in their class, but even the great George Carlin and the great Lenny Bruce, they had local law enforcement harass them. I had the Feds come back. Yeah, no, and I thought I filed a FOY, which is a Freedom of Information Act, and they were really serious about trying to charge me with that crime and indict me.
Speaker 2: I talk about this and arguments all the time with people. I go all these freedom of speech bros. Did people have your I don't remember all these guy comics. Really, nobody happen in your back? And I'm like that everybody turned on me. Let me like, people think only the right wing turn on me. No, No, it was left right and center. I mean when I was fired from CNN for New Year's I read it on the ticker. Nobody even bothered to call me, and I lost about seventy five percent of my friends. To this day, they haven't come back. No one's apologized.
Speaker 5: I crack up when people are like, oh, but they're all apologizing now. No.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: A lot of people think, hello, well, if you've had it coming and to be out of work for six and a half years because of Donald's right.
Speaker 4: I know it's not they only have at me.
Speaker 5: I'd be I'd be heard, but I know, so it was crazy.
Speaker 1: And then these canceled comics who are still selling out MSG even though they're canceled. We have to be like when are they allowed backs?
Speaker 5: Like thank you?
Speaker 2: I always say, the only person I know that's ever actually been canceled is you, Like there's no one else I can think of.
Speaker 4: It was you and the boys.
Speaker 5: When it's one of the boys, they start call the wagons. And I'm sorry to say, it's still as bad in stand up as when I started and my dear departed. Joan Rivers and I would talk about this all the time because Joan would say, Kathy, it's as bad as it was for Philip still, or when I used to talk to Phyllis, and Phyllis would say it's as bad as it was for Tony Fields when I would talk to her back in the day. So I just I know you don't want to hear this, but I do feel compelled to say to younger women, at least when it comes to stand up, the misogyny runs deep, and it's still really bad and so the fact that, like I said, I wasn't just I didn't just have like a bad six months, but to be that level of canceled and investigated that canceled isn't even in the right word investigated by the DJ you couldn't fly. And also the death I was in the middle of a fifty city tour and I had twenty five cities left, and each one of those cities was canceled within seventy two hours because they got so many death threats and bomb threats to the theater because of me and as from Trumpers. So I don't even blame the theaters, like if they got that call, like you know, we're gonna come shoot her. They love Oh can I see what Trumpers love?
Speaker 4: Cunt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all my death threats where I'm gonna shoot you in the count for your count got you in the Kant countymin count down, You fucking con't. I'll put your continent's place. Your cont is a terrorist. That's like their favorite word. And remember this is the religious right. Yeah, so yes, I've made enemies. And although I will say in my new tour cadey girlfriend, my life on the PTSD list, where I'm playing Carnegie Hall, which I thought would never happen again. I don't even mention Trump in my new show. It sounds great right when I just I talked a lot about PTSD because I feel like, collectively we all have sort of a form of it between trump Ism and COVID, and you know, I believe climate change is daily and I don't know, you know, so I'm a bit of a dumist, I admit it. But you know, they talk about waiting for a rainy day, and my rainy day happened and it was six and a half years long. So I talk about PTSD and don't worry. There's still a lot of juicy celebrity gossip that I throw in.
Speaker 4: I've never been to Carnegie, so I'm exciting.
Speaker 5: Oh, Carnegie is magical and people don't know it's a great place for stand up because the acoustics are so amazing. The audience just they show up in a more of a theatrical way than a club, and it's just magical. And it will be my sixth time playing Carnegie, which is the record for a single female comedian to play Carnegie, not as part of a charity show, not as part of a musical lineup, not even with an open I have no opening act. I write all my own material and I go up there for two hours. If you're lucky at the little turn, I did two hours and forty minutes. I'll try to keep it to two. I'll try to keep it to two.
Speaker 2: Wow, what not only like the Trump thing? I Oh, I'm a shit talker. I love that you say everything And it was so cool. I didn't even know this that, like, after you worked on Seinfeld you talk so much about him, they had you back and I'm like, what an icon for a shit talker that instead of.
Speaker 4: Losing a job, you got another job, Like what a hero?
Speaker 5: I just yeah, I really they wrote the episode for me. I'm Seinfeld because I did the episode when I was a total unknown. Then I got my first HBO special, which back in those days was a really big deal, which is now Max and I told the story that Jerry was like kind of an asshole on the Senate and I said, look, I'm just this little medium level guest star dealist. But you know, like I was like, really, couldn't it be nicer? And never in a million years that I thought he would see it. So he saw it, and God loved him. He actually had a sense of humor about it, and so they wrote my character to come back. She became a comedian whose number one topic is just making fun of Jerry Seinfeld, which I was doing in kind of a small way, And so that was magical to walk back because I can know if he'd be like, if he'd be hateful. And the show was at its peak, and Jerry had just announced that week to Time magazine that he was quitting the show, so there was a lot going on for him. And then who steps on set this pain and the ass right here.
Speaker 1: I have to just tell you I watched every episode of Life on the D List when it came out, like I was watching it in real time. I was like a best I thought it was so funny because you know, there's other reality and it's just regular people, and this was like a funny person doing a reality show that wasn't like stand up, you know last Comic Stand. It wasn't about the stand up. You were just a funny person living your life. And I just think it's like it really it was a revolutionary reality show. I love that you own it. That's so badass. And I loved your like relationship with your parents, so always being on it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was so sweet.
Speaker 5: I loved yours were just so naturally funny. I was lucky because a lot of people would be different than lot as soon as the cameras were and I really enjoy taking real people that are naturally funny, like my mom and dad. And when we would put the camera on, it was amazing. My mom and dad could turn it on like they were comedians, but they were themselves, and I think that came through so clearly that I loved it that every time they would focus group the show, people would say, more of Kathy's parents, we love Kathy's parents. And even when my dad passed away, it was like during the filming of the show, so we covered it, and yet my mom and I are so grieving, and my siblings of course, and then you know, my mom kind of took over that space, and then it all became about Maggie and her box and wine, and you know, like, I'm so touched that people got to know my mom and dad on that show, because they really were like that. When people say I feel like I knew your parents, you did, I totally did.
Speaker 1: I totally did, especially Maggie, like, yeah, you know, and what a beautiful thing for you to have I had.
Speaker 5: I'm so proud, and I'm so proud of them because I get a lot of gay people to come up to me and say, watching that show with my parents made it easier for me to come out because they saw how tolerant your parents were. And I say, well, first of all, they were drunk, and second of all, I think you know. The great thing about my parents on the Dealers show is they never got on a soapbox and talked about gay rights or whatever. Well I shouldn't say that. My mom went to a march with me, but they just kind of, as Marishika would say, reeked of acceptance and would never judge a person negatively for being gay or LGBTQ any of the letters. And I'm so proud of that because I never had to prompt them to, like, hey, say something nice. That's just who they are. They were used to me hanging out with the gay kid that I somehow found in kindergarten. And I was a hag from when I was a child, and I'm a proud hag now, and my parents just kind of went along with everything and never judged anybody in that area. And it really touches me that even in the two thousands, like I'm not talking centuries ago, but there were gay people that didn't have an example of someone in their eighties going to like a gay bar for a happy hour because they had better appetizers and then talking to gay people, and they had a million gay friends, and people had stopped them on the street, and I eventually got them a condo in West Hollywood. The game back up Los Angeles, like the King and Queen of Who, and that was great. So I always say to people the series continued in real life even after we went out there, So it's I'm still very firmly planted the D list, trust me, and all that stuff still happens on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Amazing. I don't know, I don't know if this is just out of nowhere, but so much of your stuff with celebs, I like hearing about celebs. Is there anyone that you thought was gonna be the worst and then you ended up being shockingly surprised at how great they were?
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you the thing that gives me a ton of gratification, and it's now at the age of sixty three, it's happened a lot, and it's kind of one of my favorite things about doing stand up all these years, which is I really love it when a star comes up to me. And it's happened with everyone from Miley Cyrus to Sharon Stone, and they'll come up to me and go, oh, oh, you were just kidding, Like I remember Miley saying next to me, so that's whole time You've got me kidding, And I said, yes, Miley, I was just I'm just kidding. I'm a kiedion and I'm making fun of you because you're a gorgeous, successful, multi millionaire who's got the world by the tail, and you know, so I'm going to say a fair game. And so I'm friendly with Miley, I'm friendly with Sharon Stone, you know like that that's revelatory to me. So I just love when they come around and go like, oh, okay, I get it. And like I said, I was good friends with Joan Rivers and I would see it with her where certain slabs would still be mad at her, and most of the time celebrities would be honored that she made fun of them. And that's my goal. I just want them to laugh. I'm not trying to make anybody cry. I'm not putting anybody on the no fly list. I did that, but I do like people to just understand I'm really just trying to lighten up somebody's day and get a laugh.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you got so much wisdom from Joan.
Speaker 2: Is there something that you think about all the time, or like a piece of advice that has, yeah, that you've thought of.
Speaker 4: For a long Yeah.
Speaker 5: Business. It showed business. So we talked about finances a lot. And you know, Joan was loaded, and people underestimated her at every turn, and she had so many lives she had, you know, after her own husband took his life, she took time off and then she did a Broadway show and people were like, oh wow, she's a really good actress. And when she was kind of blacklisted from nighttime, she went and had a daytime show and won an Emmy. People forget that she was the center square on Hollywood Squares, where you then have to cast eight people around you, and they all knew Joan might say whatever she felt like saying. So watching her be the cat with nine lives and bounce back every time I've been certainly looking up in heaven and hearing her because having been through now you know, cancer and addiction and I'm going through a divorce and all this stuff. And I remember, you know, her sayings like she would say, you know, we all make our own deals, Like you never know what somebody to deal is in life. You might think they're one way, but you don't know that it turns out that this person hasn't been working because they have a special needs daughter that they're taking care of, like you know what. And she always had that perspective. While she was being as naughty as she wanted to be, she still was very serious about the business of comedy, the money part of it, but also the seriousness and the art of it. And I admit I'm a bit of a snob. I really think stand up is a serious art form and I take it seriously, and I like the ones who take it really seriously. And I also I also don't believe that you're a real comic if you can't do your own material. So like we would talk about comedians they would get specials and they didn't even write their special So just like you come it, you're you know, so we would be very snobby and talk smack about everybody, and that was, you know, was more fun than that.
Speaker 1: Wait, as we were talking, a message pops up from Pam Lowshack, saying, how you do two and a half hours with one and a half lungs?
Speaker 5: I had lung cancer even though I never smoked, and so they took out half of my left lung. And so I should actually say I'm not just the only female comic to play Carnegie Hall six times, I'm the only one and a half lung female comic to do a lot of things. God damn, So, I don't like the way you two girls are flaunting your two lungs in my face right now.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 5: You're so superior.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna see you at Carnegie Hall. I opened it up, please please do so. I can't wait.
Speaker 5: This was all right, I'm not, by the way, I'm not thumping you. So this is a hint. No, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like you're no.
Speaker 5: I can tell the look on your face, the answous No, Pam, Pam. It's a hard pass. These bitches can pay, just like it comes out of my back end. And god damn it, no comps, no.
Speaker 4: No fucking comps. Thank you so amazing, Kathy. This was a dream, so amazing.
Speaker 5: Tells you guys are awesome.
Speaker 4: That was insane. I did have to grab a white claw, like I didn't know how to handle. I have to calm down.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to people that are sober handle all their emotions and energy, like I truly don't even know.
Speaker 4: I couldn't even sit still.
Speaker 2: I it really is just such a pivotal moment to meet her because we missed I didn't meet Joan Rivers. That's someone that I always thought I would meet or you know, there's these icons, and to be able to meet such an icon, Yeah, that gave so much. I mean she she gave us all the bits. No, not one person we've ever interviewed just straight up has all the all, like just.
Speaker 4: Had at it.
Speaker 1: No, and like I love that everybody that we talked to, I mean, I love every person we've talked to. We've had great interviews. She's an amazing, well oiled machine. I had a great time on set. They made me feel welcome. Kathy Griffin's not afraid to be like, No, I was fucking up, actually, Like it was really intense. It was I was out of my depth. Here's who helped me, Here's how I got through it. Like, I just love that her whole career is kind of not ever about apologizing really for herself, and always about just.
Speaker 4: Fucking telling the truth. She really is one of our best. And yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Even when she's talking about her photo, the photo that she got in trouble for, She's like, it's a protest photo. Some people thought it was funny, some people didn't. She's not like I wish I never did it, you know, she's like she stands by it. You know, she's a fucking icon.
Speaker 4: Of perneerance and integrity and integrity, and.
Speaker 2: While people don't think she does because like reality d List like all of that at the time didn as huge as it is now. And just being there for the gay community without like painting a rainbow on your head, you know, it wasn't the goal as like I'm gonna do this for the gaze, but it was very much like a safe space for a gaze.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry, Like, as a woman, I grow and like I've always been into celebrity gossip.
Speaker 4: That's mostly what her material is about.
Speaker 1: And I think she gets discounted because of it because people need you to do a full hour about I don't know, fucking pizza roles or whatever, like people need you to do a full hour about something else. I think it's great that that's what she focuses on, but I think it's like why a lot of people have discounted her because she talks about quote unquote like female and like gay stuff, which celebrity gossip falls into, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it also felt I mean not positive, but validating and be like, no, stand up is still filled with misogynists and you know, assholes everywhere, and that it hasn't really changed, even though I do think it has in terms of there's more women, you can wear what you want, you can talk about what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not.
Speaker 4: But definitely still Oh I mean no sexist. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think what I'm saying is like, the reason why I think that people don't put her up there with like the greats as much as they should is.
Speaker 4: Because sexism and her sexism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always loved her. I cried when her mom died. I don't want to tell her that in the interview, but I cried when Maggie.
Speaker 2: And she's so cool that I forgot about the lies of Menelly. When you brought it up, I go, oh my god, I can't believe. Yeah, she's so powerful that I'm like, oh, yeah, you talk to Liza Menelli and.
Speaker 4: What I mean?
Speaker 1: I think, honestly, we've all been waiting for the phrase Liza Minelli's vagina to be on our podcast, and we may happen today, and that's what I'm really excited about. But I mean, let's move on to a post mortem of the episode, because I'm.
Speaker 2: Just going, wait, no, I do want to say one more thing. Oh yeah, so you know how Robin Williams set her up? Yeah, I was set up like that once.
Speaker 4: I did not read.
Speaker 2: I think it was of my cement, but I didn't read the chapters you were supposed read. And so I asked this guy Dennis, I go, fuck, did you read it? He goes yes, and there's a worksheep.
Speaker 4: I go, what kind of dog? What's this? What's that? What's He gave me everything? Fake?
Speaker 2: And I failed the assignment, but I didn't read. But I just trusted this guy. And then at lunch or wherever I come down, I'm like, what the fuck And he was just like laughing. I was like what kind of dog is it? And he was like a white, little fluffy, fun one and it was like I think it was on a you know, like an Old Yeller style dog situation or something like please. But I did get fucked over, But I love that Robin Williams fucked her up like that. But I it's like they did use the take where she was improvising, So to me, it's like why. It's like if someone's like, hey.
Speaker 4: Can you do clean? I go no, why would you? I sure I can't. Why would you want me to do that?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: I'm kind of surprised that she was saying that too about Maloney being so stiff about the improv because like he's done Wet Hot, he's worked with all these comedians, like he likes to do comedy, so I guess it's just he compartmentalizes, Like when I do comedy, we can improvide, but when I'm on SVU, we stick to the fucking script.
Speaker 2: But I love it, And it's the extra direction from Marishkatz, like it is just so formula, like you have to move and hate your marks and like do exactly what they need because they're on a time crunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, they have a dramatic story to tell. I thought she did great. I thought she's I think she's excellent in this episode. Babs Duffy is maybe a top ten guest star character for me for sure. Okay, should we move on to this the post mortem of the episode. I mean, I don't know what my thoughts are. Don't be pissed that lesbians are moving into your neighborhood. They're only making it better. Every neighborhood, basically in New York City or Los Angeles that gay people have taken over has only become a better, more fun with better, busier, cleaner area of town. You should not be murdering people or assaulting them because of that. But obviously that man had deeper problems also, but also just big apple aggressive anywhere you go get your age. I don't care if you're a lesbian or not. You can't just go out there punching people. Yeah, I'm sorry your girlfriend died, but you're not allowed to cold call Christopher Maloney out of nowhere. Though it does, it has provided one of the funniest Maloney knockouts of my of my life, which I have made a I have made a montage punched out, this is.
Speaker 4: The best podcast ever.
Speaker 1: Let's move to we wouldn't give as much space possible for the Kathy interview because it's just the fucking best and we talked to her for an hour.
Speaker 4: Uh So, this week's what would Sister Peggy Go?
Speaker 2: And just to reiterate, do not steal blood for your boyfriend from the blood bank.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: He's worried about getting HIV.
Speaker 1: I guess he can't be a fucking vampire, then don't yeh, don't risk your job for a fucking man or a vampire.
Speaker 4: I did watch Abigail again and it is so good. It's so good.
Speaker 1: You have Oh I see the picture of the little girl in her tuto and there's like blood splattered on it.
Speaker 4: That's like the thumbnail. Okay, So for this week, what would Sister peg Do?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we direct you to some kind of resource that will give you more information about what we talked to about in the episode today. And we wanted to point you this week to the documentary The Lesbian Avengers Eat Fire II. The film covers the first year of action by the Lesbian Avengers and it is only fifty six minutes and it's on YouTube, so we will link to that in our stories from the day this episode came out, and that will always be saved in our WWSPD highlight forever. If you ever want to go back and look at our other what would mister peg Dou's Thank.
Speaker 2: You so much for that, and next week we'll be doing that episode blinded from season nine, episode seven. So get on with your fine selves, live a great life, do a good deed. I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to all of you who have been listening to us, some of you since episode one, some of you more recently. We love you guys. Thanks for celebrating our two hundredth episode with us. Bear Bear Bear, Bear Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media dut dun